PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a good File Server in your LAN?

hmx_ryan
11th Feb 2007, 11:52
I am planning on setting up a RAID server with around 1TB of storage that caters to all OS/hardware connecting to the server.. Now here is a great find for a free file server OS

FreeNAS

FreeNAS is a small, powerful, full-featured implementation of FreeBSD as a network-attached storage device. (It also happens to be January's Project of the Month at SourceForge.net.) If you're a Linux user like me, the BSD-speak used for devices and such might give you pause, but other than that small caveat, installation and usage shouldn't be a problem. It's powerful enough to be used in the enterprise, but it's friendly enough so that even a typical home office user can take advantage of it. Here's how I created an easy-to-use NAS device for rsync backups and FTP server on my LAN.

ScreenShots
You can see links before reply

Download:

You can see links before reply el_068&id=7&pagename=FILE:Downloads%20/%20ISO%200.68

Read the Whole Article (You can see links before reply)

hmx_ryan
11th Feb 2007, 12:08
OpenFiler

Openfiler is a powerful, intuitive browser-based network storage software distribution. Openfiler delivers file-based Network Attached Storage and block-based Storage Area Networking in a single framework.

Openfiler uses the rPath Linux metadistribution. It is distributed as a stand-alone Linux distribution. The entire software stack interfaces with third-party software that is all open source.

File-based networking protocols supported by Openfiler include: NFS, SMB/CIFS, You can see links before reply and FTP. Network directories supported by Openfiler include NIS, LDAP (with support for SMB/CIFS encrypted passwords), Active Directory (in native and mixed modes) and Hesiod. Authentication protocols include Kerberos 5.

Openfiler includes support for volume-based partitioning, iSCSI (target and initiator), scheduled snapshots, resource quota, and a single unified interface for share management which makes allocating shares for various network file-system protocols a breeze.

Screebshots

Download: