PDA

View Full Version : My Little Carcar City

felinor
2nd Jul 2007, 07:37
Only registered users can see the link.
Hi guys, well I'm proud to show you my hometown, a place that hmm well gave me a lot of memories
well, we are the only City in Cebu that has and still preserving houses that dates back 16-1700 and some are older than the houses in Vigan.

Area : 9,610 hectares
No. Of Barangays :15
Town Fiesta : November 25
Patron Saint : St. Catherine of Alexandria
Major Occupation : Farming
Principal Products : Coconuts, footwear, native delicacies, Tacoy (sweet pomelos)
Trade and Industry : Shoe factories, blacksmithing
Places of Interest :

* Balay’ng Tisa (Don Ramon Sarmiento’s Manor , Feb. 2, 1859)
* Spanish Kiosk
* 17th century church

Villadolid watchtowers

Monument of Leon Kilat

Caves in Barangay Mainit

Travelling in the southern part of Cebu about 40 kms. away from Cebu City is one of the interesting town is "Carcar."

Travelling to Carcar may take an hour or so if by car, but if one decides to take the bus from the New Southern Bus Terminal, it may take longer.

You'll know when you're in Carcar when frenzied by vendor selling the popular ampaw (sweetened rice crispy), bucarillo (colored coconut candy) and chicharon (crackling pork skin) by the window of the bus.

Aside from the historic 17th century church, Carcar is also home to must-see places. Among them are several old houses that are being restored. One such house is those belonging to the Sanchez family, which is ten years older than the church in Carcar. The Balay na Tisa of the Sarmiento family, older by 17 years than the Sanchez’s house, is one of the best and painstakingly restored ancestral houses.

Another interesting place to go are the three caves in Barangay Mainit - four kilometers from the town proper going uphill through the Carcar-Barili road. Upon reaching the cave sites, one can see broken statues of Christ, of saints and of crosses dispersed all over the area. The presence of these statues was due to Imelda Marcos’ plan of transforming these caves into a shrine. The statues were brought by helicopters, but in the process of transporting, some of the icons fell, breaking some of its parts, while the others remained intact. These caves are said to be explored by local mananambals and mystics on the Holy Week.

Another interesting aspect of Carcar is the native delicacies. Carcar is known for its ampao (sweetened rice crispy), bucarillo (colored coconut candy) and chicharon (pork skin cracklings).

from Soleil Web Hosting Solutions Promo (Only registered users can see the link.)

Narelle
2nd Jul 2007, 07:41
Ah yan pala ang Carcar City sige pupunta ako jan balang araw :excited: Malapit ba yan sa Labangon,Cebu?:noidea:

felinor
2nd Jul 2007, 07:54
mark, ang labangon ay baranggay lang sa cebu, hindi actually kasi nasa BASAK ang branch ng school namin at ang basak ay next sa labangon, i ride from carcar to basak almost 1.5 hours (walang trapik) if may trapik it took almost 2-3 so malayo layo din
some of the centennial houses
our church built in i think between 1590 or so
almost all of the building in carcar are antiques
our pride
Trivia DID you know that the OSmeña family also hails from carcar?
almost all Well known family in cebu with Spanish blood has its root traced from carcar