PDA

View Full Version : Starmobile ASTRA - Root and CWM based Recovery

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

paulpacs
12th Nov 2012, 10:53
Disclaimer:
Do this at your own risk, Ultimately you are responsible for your actions and this will only serve as a guide to try to help you ROOT your Starmobile ASTRA.

To other Phone Users - Myphone 919, 898, 878, CM Titan or other China Androids with MT657* based chipsets. The same procedure for Astra can be used for your PHONES. infact I used the rooting procedure here to ROOT my Cherry Mobile Flare(and it has Qualcomm 8225 chipset)

Personal Requirements:
1. You must HAVE prior knowledge of how to root Android phones, either you have rooted a previous phone or have helped/seen one being rooted.
2. PC running windows 7 and connected to the INTERNET. (I haven't tested this on Windows XP but you can try and give feedback, the internet connection is required for any DRIVER download which might be required)

Software Requirements (Please download the following)
1. Root with Restore by Bin4ry (You can see links before reply)

Steps:
1. Driver Installation: Install the correct drivers for your phone. (Do any of the following)
A. Search and Install MTK6577 driver / MEDIATEK VCOM USB (You can see links before reply) Drivers
B. Install PDANet (You can see links before reply) (it will automatically install the drivers for your phone)
C. Download and install SuperOneClick (You can see links before reply) (it will automatically install the drivers for your phone)
D. If PC is connected to the internet, Windows 7 will automatically install drivers for you when you connect your phone.

(Driver Installation is used to open communication between your PC and Phone aside from the normal USB Storage Device)

2. Please ensure that USB DEBUGGING and INSTALL FROM UNKNOWN SOURCES are ON in your ASTRA. See SETTINGS. Connect your ASTRA to the PC using the provided USB cable.
3. Unzip the zip file Root with Restore from Bin4ry. Then RUN/START the Runme.bat file.
4. It will start the rooting process script, Choose 1 then ENTER (Device Type - NORMAL).
5. Wait a while, then look at your ASTRA and it should ask you to RESTORE, after which it will REBOOT.
6. The script will continue UNTIL you will see a message SUCCESSFUL.
7. Congratulations you have ROOTED your STARMOBILE ASTRA.

IF UNSUCESSFUL after completing the steps 1-9 above. Then you may have to WIPE/FACTORY RESET your phone first. go into RECOVERY by holding Volume up + Power button. The WIPE/FACTORY RESET phone (This will return the phone to its BOXED condition, WARNING: YOU WILL LOSE ANY PROGRAMS you MAY HAVE ALREADY INSTALLED) then Repeat STEPS 1-9.

CWM BASED RECOVERY
as usual proceed at your own risk.
1. Download Astra Recovery ZIP file (You can see links before reply), and UNZIP. Connect your phone to the PC and mount as USB drive.
2. Copy the mu7577.apk and recovery.img file to the root (or main folder or highest level folder) of your SDCARD.
3. Install the Mobileuncle Tools (mu7577.apk)
4. Run Mobileuncle Tools
5. Choose Recovery Update
6. Choose the recovery file in SDcard.
7. It will ask for root permission (GRANT it) the it will Flash the recovery image to your phone and reboot you to CMW recovery.
8. NOW YOU HAVE CMW Recovery for installing zip files/custom ROMs.
9. Use Volume up/down keys to navigate and Power button to choose/select. Be very careful, if you do not know what you are doing then do not select/change anything in recovery.
10. Choose Reboot System Now to exit recovery and reboot celphone.

Post any feedbacks if you hit a snag. Post your success stories too if successful to encourage others to try.

Other TUTORIALS:

SWAPPING PHONE STORAGE WITH SDCARD STORAGE
Link to instruction (You can see links before reply) as provided by BONDYING1977
This is applicable to all Mediatek 657* based phones.
This procedure assumes that your phone is already ROOTED.
1. Download and install ES File Explorer.
2. Run ES File Explorert, Go to Menu>Settings>Root Settings Check “Root Explorer” and accept both the ES prompt and SU prompt.
3. Check Mount File System as writable.
4. Return to ES Main screen, Press the first Favorites icon.
5. Go to the / directory.
6. Go to /system/etc and look for vold.fstab then edit it.
7. Find the following lines:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host/mmc0

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host/mmc1

8. Replace the sdcard with sdcard2 and sdcard2 with sdcard so that it will look like this:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host/mmc0

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host/mmc1

8. Now press the Menu button and press Save.
9. Restart your phone. If you check Settings - Storage, your MicroSD now becomes your PHONE STORAGE and your real in-cel Phone Storage becomes your SDCard.

What you are really doing here is just REASSIGNMENT. Because your PHONE STORAGE is LIMITED to 1.58GB, it will fill up right away when you install a lot of BIG GAMES and APPS. SO to be able to make the space BIGGER. You fooled your phone into thinking that the SD CARD (8GB in our case) is the PHONE STORAGE where NOW you can install plenty of APPS and the 1.58GB that was previously PHONE STORAGE now becomes SDCARD. Hope the explanation HELPS.

IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER
This is based on my PERSONAL experience with the ASTRA and I am just sharing this to you as I have noticed some users get in bootloops, almost soft bricks their ASTRA or find their ASTRA almost unusable because of tinkering with it.

A. After Rooting and CWM Recovery installation, ALWAYS PERFORM A COMPLETE BACKUP while you ASTRA is still running well and good. And to be sure!!! After restarting your Astra after performing a BACKUP, then do a 2nd BACKUP as well. This will reduce chances that your backups have MD5 Checksum Errors. IF youre on then paranoid side, do a 3RD Backup.
How to do a CWM Backup?
1. Power OFF your Astra
2. Boot into CWM Recovery (press and HOLD Volume UP + Power Button)
3. Release the Power button when the Starmobile Logo or Any Custom Logo appears while keep on pressing the Volume UP button.
4. Screen will change to CWM Based Recovery v.6.0.1.2.
5. Use the Vol keys as cursors and use Power button to select.
6. Go to Backup and Restore
7. Choose Backup
8. WAIT!!! (Very important) Wait for the device to finish backing up. This will take a long time and sometimes you might think that the device is not working or hangs up. Dont worry IT IS STILL WORKING.
9. When Astra displays backup completed, press SOFT BACK KEY or go back to Main Menu.
10. Choose REBOOT SYSTEM NOW. Congratulations YOU have made your first CWM Backup. It is now saved at your MicroSD under folder clockworkmod and under a date/time folder..
11. Just to be sure, do the previous STEPS again to have a 2nd Backup.

B. When CWM RECOVERY has been installed NEVER USE SETTINGS - BACKUP & RESET - FACTORY DATA RESET!!
The phone will try to CALL the OLD 3E Recovery and will USE THAT TO Perform a FACTORY RESET.
If you want to do a FACTORY RESET then use CWM RECOVERY to do it.
1. Boot to CWM Recovery (see instruction above on how to)
2. Choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset then Confirm by choosing Yes.
3. Though this is redundant I still do it. Choose Wipe Cache Partition then Confirm by choosing Yes.
4. Choose Advanced - Wipe Dalvik cache - Confirm by choosing Yes.
5. back to Main Menu then Reboot System Now.
6. Your Astra will take a longer time to boot, just wait. It is rebuilding the caches.
7. After boot, your ASTRA will be as it was when you first bought it.

Using and Buying HEADSET/EARPIECE with your ASTRA
You can USE ANY Headset or EARPIECE with your ASTRA and IT will work fine AS LONG as it is ONLY for listening to MUSIC. Meaning there is NO MICROPHONE on the HEADSET.
But if you want to USE a HEADSET/EARPIECE with A MICROPHONE, then be informed that the ASTRA follows the OLD NOKIA HEADSET STANDARD. For the enthusiast this means that the PinOut Sequence of the Headset MUST BE: LEFT - RIGHT - MIC - GROUND (LRMG) this is the NOKIA/SE Standard.
Whereas SAMSUNG and other manufacturers are now using the LRGM or LRGC standard M-Mic and C-Control.
What does this mean?
It means that Samsung/Iphone compatible Headsets with MIC will not work for calls on your ASTRA, some Headsets for some china phones like ZTE will work for your ASTRA. Most Nokia/SE 3.5mm jack Headsets will work with your Astra.
All Stereo Headsets (without MIC) will work with your ASTRA as it is only Left-Right-Ground standard.
Just for your information. Reference here. (You can see links before reply)

More Tutorials to follow.
Using SP Flash Tool
Modifying Boot_Logo and Logo.bin
Trying to revive a bricked Astra
Using Thai Imobile Istyle Q2 Duo ROM.
when i will have the time.

NongNong
12th Nov 2012, 14:51
thanks sir ma try

NongNong
12th Nov 2012, 15:47
ok sa akin, super su logo droid na blue parang superman hehehe, thanks sir

papabol
12th Nov 2012, 16:43
Salamat sir na root ko na phone ko THX :D

paulpacs
12th Nov 2012, 21:46
You're WELCOME po, enjoy your rooted ASTRA. :excited:

onesaviour
12th Nov 2012, 23:14
Disclaimer:
Do this at your own risk, do not blame me for your phone not waking you up because the alarm did not go off, or starting a thermonuclear war, or any else not mentioned here. Ultimately you are responsible for your actions and this will only serve as a guide to try to help you ROOT your Starmobile ASTRA.

Personal Requirements:
1. You must HAVE prior knowledge of how to root Android phones, either you have rooted a previous phone or have helped/seen one being rooted.
2. PC running windows 7 and connected to the INTERNET. (I haven't tested this on Windows XP but you can try and give feedback, the internet connection is required for any DRIVER download which might be required)

Software Requirements (Please download the following)
1. Root with Restore by Bin4ry (You can see links before reply)
2. SuperOneClick (You can see links before reply)

Steps:
1. Please ensure that USB DEBUGGING and INSTALL FROM UNKNOWN SOURCES are ON in your ASTRA. See SETTINGS. Connect your ASTRA to the PC using the provided USB cable.
2. Unzip the zip file from SuperOneCick and RUN/START the SuperOneClick program.
3. SuperOneClick will ask you to INSTALL drivers (click YES/OK) and install the drivers. (If it does not automatically ask you to install drivers, click ADVANCED - CHECK DRIVERS then install the drivers).
4. DO NOT CLICK ROOT on SupeOneClick!!! instead CLOSE SuperOneClick. It was just needed to install the DRIVERS.
5. Unzip the zip file Root with Restore from Bin4ry. Then RUN/START the Runme.bat file.
6. It will start the rooting process script, Choose 1 then ENTER (Device Type - NORMAL).
7. Wait a while, then look at your ASTRA and it should ask you to RESTORE, after which it will REBOOT.
8. The script will continue UNTIL you will see a message SUCCESSFUL.
9. Congratulations you have ROOTED your STARMOBILE ASTRA.

IF UNSUCESSFUL after completing the steps 1-9 above. Then you may have to WIPE/FACTORY RESET your phone first. go into RECOVERY by holding Volume up + Power button. The WIPE/FACTORY RESET phone (This will return the phone to its BOXED condition, WARNING: YOU WILL LOSE ANY PROGRAMS you MAY HAVE ALREADY INSTALLED) then Repeat STEPS 1-9.

Post any feedbacks if you hit a snag. Post your success stories too if successful to encourage others to try.

There is also successful steps for INSTALLING CUSTOM RECOVERY for installing CUSTOM ROMS. but I feel there is no need for that as of the moment since THERE IS NO CUSTOM ROM for the ASTRA yet.

HELP! It didn't worked for me. After plugging the USB to the computer it automatically installed the drivers and once its okay, I opened SUPERONECLICK and I click on advanced and clicked on check drivers and it does nothing. I resumed to steps 5-9 and it the restore option didn't appeared in my phone, ...I does nothing.. help, I really want to root my ASTRA.

Dun sa script "The System cannot find the path specified sya"

papabol
13th Nov 2012, 08:14
@paulpacs Sir, update mo nalang kami kung may ayos na ROM na ah!
THX THX THX :praise: :D enjoying my rooted astra!:yipee:

paulpacs
13th Nov 2012, 16:41
@sir OneSaviour, try nyo po transfer to another USB port in your computer.

onesaviour
13th Nov 2012, 20:16
@Paulpacs- Okay na sir.. dpat pala i extract ung Zip file.. ni run ko kc directly sa zip file kaya d nya na read.. finally.. Superuser na ako! :)) thanks btw

paulpacs
14th Nov 2012, 10:36
UW po. Actually the rooting process for Astra is exactly the same for Myphone A898. Sana may papasok dito na myphone user and try my procedure. And will adopt this for their celphone. Astra and Myphone 898 have exactly the same chipset.

androidddtank
14th Nov 2012, 17:21
if rooted na po.. pwede na po ba ang mga apps matransfer to SD card? thanks

jtgirado
14th Nov 2012, 17:47
Pwede po ba mag overclock si astra after ma-root? may nakasubok na po ba? hanggang ilang Ghz kaya niya pag overclock at anong gamit na overclocking app? tia

paulpacs
14th Nov 2012, 20:23
Astra has 3 types of storage. A 1gb internal storage. A 2.5gb phone storage and the 8gb micro sd. Even when phone is not rooted you can still transfer apps from internal storage to phone storage. However if you want to transfer it to the micro sd then you can using Link2SD or Simple2Ext or Apps2SD HOWEVER the Astra already has a combined capacity of 3.5Gb for apps so IMHO there is no need to transfer apps to SD. The rooting procedure here is for you to be able to install ALL APPS that would require root.

With regards to OVERCLOCKING. Rooting is not the main requirement for overclocking but it is needed. OVERCLOCKING can be done if your KERNEL supports it. But i doubt the stock kernel of the astra supports it. Although again there is NO NEED for me to overclock since Ive got dual core 1ghz processor and most apps run fast on it already even HD games.

onesaviour
14th Nov 2012, 23:38
Bro can you please post the tutorial on how to install cwm recovery to Astra? Mag ccustomize sana ako ng ui ng phone.. Thanks.

natnitx
15th Nov 2012, 20:25
Di naman masearch yung drivers kapag nakaconnect na walang lumalabas sa SuperOneClick. Sa CP may tatlong lumabas na...
USB Connected
USB debugging connected
Connected as USB Storage

androidddtank
15th Nov 2012, 21:25
same din skin.. di lumalabas ang drivers kahit na check driver =(

natnitx
15th Nov 2012, 21:27
Ngayon triny ko na USB computer connection as Media Device, may lumabas dun sa superoneclick.
The Following does not have drivers installed.

Starmobile ASTRA

Driver Source:
C......

Would you like me to install it for you?

tapos, pagka-ok...

No signature was present in the subject

HELP

hotdawg
16th Nov 2012, 02:56
@nat

watch mode muna ako sir, wala pa ako PC dito para ma root si astra ko

eyesonfire
16th Nov 2012, 09:12
bat sa akin success kaso walang nangyayari? alang superuser app na nainstall... help po.

androidddtank
16th Nov 2012, 13:55
Rooted na phone ko kagabe.. haha nagreset ako.. tapos.. inulit ko. ayun my superSU na sa menu :yipee:

hotdawg
16th Nov 2012, 14:27
need help, i was doing wipe/reset but kung gawin ko yun may RED na warning sign lumabas tapos ung android nakahiga

natnitx
16th Nov 2012, 20:33
Hindi ba talaga siya pwede sa Windows XP?

paulpacs
16th Nov 2012, 22:16
You can see links before reply

the STARMOBILE version from Thailand, they actually had it last SEPTEMBER.

FYI

choconagatas
16th Nov 2012, 22:33
pa bm ts :)

hotdawg
17th Nov 2012, 01:02
Need help guys. Pag nag wipe/reset ako di gumagana, may red na triangle na lumalabas ano yun?

paulpacs
17th Nov 2012, 01:25
where do you execute the WIPE/RESET po?

The very important part of the instruction is to install the USB drivers, if you get that correctly then running the BAT file from root_with_restore_bin4ry will do the job for you. Actually the BAT file is a series of ADB commands that pushes the SU binary and SuperSU.apk as well as Busybox to your phone.

But without the correct USB drivers installed then ADB will not work.

Yeheyyyyyyy! found the FIRMWARE for imobile q2 duo - the ASTRA in thailand, I hope this is really the one, so we can REPACK the recovery.img with Clockwork or TWRP recovery. Hopefully!!!!

hotdawg
17th Nov 2012, 02:01
using sa setting nag factory wipe ako, kasi po kung gawin ko yung volume up + power button doon lumalabas ang red trianlge with the android

hotdawg
17th Nov 2012, 02:06
@paulpacs

ganito nangyari po.

i followed yung steps nyu po from 1-3 then yung sa check drivers di nag install automaticall, so pumunta ako ng advance and check drivers, after nun nag install na,then after noon nag run na binary, then after unsuccesful yung binary, so wipe/reset ko sana using yung volume up + power, dun lumabas ang red triangle with android na naka higa.

paulpacs
17th Nov 2012, 02:12
yung android na nakahiga with red triangle ba yun, that is the entrance to RECOVERY MODE. the recovery version that we have on ASTRA is 3E Recovery. When you see the android na nakahiga, just touch the HOME or the middle soft key in your ASTRA and you will see the recovery options. Although most of the rooted ASTRA here NEVER had to reset/wipe for rooting, I do not know why it wont work with yours.

I am puzzled why it does not work with yours po.

hotdawg
17th Nov 2012, 02:15
wait try ko po touch yung home screen ha

hotdawg
17th Nov 2012, 02:20
@paul

Sir lumabas yung recovery utility pero when i press reboot now ayaw nya mag reboot babalik lang po siya sa labas, i mean yung triangle and android na naka higa, tanggalin ko battery nito?

hotdawg
17th Nov 2012, 02:23
yun nakita ko,

bukas try ko ulit pero sa ibang pc, bagal kasi nung laptop na ginagamit ko po

onesaviour
17th Nov 2012, 11:45
@PaulPacs

Brad, do you already know how to flash cwm recovery for Astra/ Q2 Duo?

papabol
17th Nov 2012, 13:17
@all

nung nagreresearch ako sa phone nakita ko itong forums na ito na dedicated to q2 duo kaso thai ang salita nila, na try ko i google translate kaso di ko padin maintindihan :D meron na nakapag lagay ng CWM para sa q2 duo nandun din sa forum meron na din silang custom ROM kaso di alam mung pwede satin. confirm na lang natin kay sir paulpacs.

CWM
credits to kamo(thai)

@paulpacs

sir paki check yung site baka sakali pong napadpad kana dito. :D baka makatulong para sa custom rom natin ;)

ito po yung site (thai language)

paulpacs
17th Nov 2012, 13:35
Yup that could work for us. The one I tested from a FULL ROM EXTRACT from a Q2 DUO is exactly like that. I havr that in my astra now. I will post the instructions later as im still working. Although pag may masama mangyari HAHAHA ewan ko lang kung ma flash natin to Q2 DUO FULL ROM. Maging I-Mobile ka at di na STARMOBILE. HEHEHE. sana Happy Man sa starmobile would link us with the Starmobile Astra Full Rom so that may fall back tayo just in case.

papabol
17th Nov 2012, 13:48
@paulpacs. sir update mo kami kapag successful ka ah! :) yun nga din iniisip ko kapag ginamit mo yung custom rom nila di na starmobile.

onesaviour
18th Nov 2012, 00:15
Yup that could work for us. The one I tested from a FULL ROM EXTRACT from a Q2 DUO is exactly like that. I havr that in my astra now. I will post the instructions later as im still working. Although pag may masama mangyari HAHAHA ewan ko lang kung ma flash natin to Q2 DUO FULL ROM. Maging I-Mobile ka at di na STARMOBILE. HEHEHE. sana Happy Man sa starmobile would link us with the Starmobile Astra Full Rom so that may fall back tayo just in case.

Siguro ang magandang gawin natin brad.. i back up na natin yung ROM ng Starmobile Astra para kapag may nangyaring hindi maganda.. makakapag revert tayo to original rom.

diabl0s
18th Nov 2012, 00:17
thanks paulpacs! rooted na a898 ko. galing mo talaga master!

onesaviour
18th Nov 2012, 00:19
Just wanna share this app for our Astra: Yung Density Changer (With Chinese Character ang piliin sa Playstore) Kung nalalakihan kayo sa icon size ng inyong phone, pwede mo syang gamitin.. I set the value to 198, and it's awesome.. saka mas nagmukhang malaki yung screen ng phone dahil dumami yung nag kasya sa apps sa isang page palang ng app drawer.. Download nyo lang sa Playstore (root required)

onesaviour
18th Nov 2012, 02:24
HOW TO Port CWM to Astra

Here's what I found out:

Requirements:

1. Rooted
2. Mobile Uncle Tool Installed on your device (Download it on Playstore)
3. Recovery img from Q2 DUO CWM Recovery V6.0.1.2 B4 zip Download the zip file here: You can see links before reply
4. Courage

How to:

1. Install the zip file.
2. Open the zip file and copy the recovery.img file on your sdcard.
3. Install Mobile Uncle Tool on your Astra
4. Open the app and select Recovery Update
5. the recovery.img file will appear on the choices, select and ok.
6. It will boot to recovery, when you see the cwm recovery, then it's done!

--DO at your own risk.

hotdawg
18th Nov 2012, 10:10
Super user na din ako!

@paul/onesaviour

Ano po yubg cwm? What does it do? Kse after ko na root c astra download ko mga needed apps for rooted phone, here's what I have:

Setcpu- panu gamitin to?
Titanium back up
Root explorer
Root cache cleaner

Tama po bah mga dinownload ko mga sir?

eyesonfire
18th Nov 2012, 13:02
weeee sa wakas, rooted na rin si astra ko. thanks po!!!!:)

hotdawg
18th Nov 2012, 13:38
grats sir eyes

change na density to 190 sir para astig yung screen talaga.

you can download the density changer sa playstore yung free na chinese.

hotdawg
19th Nov 2012, 14:29
Sir paul musta cem recovery nyo po?

paulpacs
19th Nov 2012, 16:25
CWM recovery and procedure is posted at first page. Im having fun testing new RECOVERY TWRP LEWA.

bondying1977
19th Nov 2012, 16:48
got mine rooted na rin immediately after i bought mine. flare sana gusto ko kasi mas mura, kaso naiinip na ako maghintay. buti na lang as of now, no problems pa akong na encounter kaya worth the price sya. lakas lang talaga kumain ng battery...

natnitx
19th Nov 2012, 22:29
Paano po mag-install ng system apps?

paulpacs
19th Nov 2012, 23:16
Enjoy your Rooted Astra folks. I just bought my CM Flare today. So off to testing how to root this phone. Seems like there is no root procedure for the Flare yet. Sorry OT. By the way, Antutu Benchmarks: Astra - 5840, Flare - 5688. Close fight. Not too bad for a 3999 phone.

papabol
19th Nov 2012, 23:46
Sir paulpacs curious lang sir hows the feel, build quality and responsiveness nya compaire kay astra? magkasing bigat ba sila? balak ko din kasi bumili nyan for my father :D TIA :salute:

paulpacs
20th Nov 2012, 02:35
Surprising the Flare is very light. The Astra is a lot heavier. Build quality is good iphone cases could probably fit this as its very rectangular in nature with rounded edges. No TV, no FM. Camera is comparable to Astra. Same bad earpiece and charger. No free micro SD. Speed of operation is similar as seen by Antutu benchmark result. Price is very good. Same good buy as the Astra.

androidddtank
20th Nov 2012, 10:35
@sir paul

.posible po ba matransfer ang mga apps to SD card? kasi parang mapupuno na ang internal and phone storage ng astra ko.. :noidea:

.i have LG optimus black rooted and installed rom.. pwede sya matransfer to SD card pati ang data ng mga apps.. TIA :)

bondying1977
20th Nov 2012, 21:31
to those who wants to make their external micro sd-card to be read as the phone storage, use the instruction on this site:

then sa Settings/Storage, set nyo ang "DEFAULT WRITE DISK" to Phone storage, para ang mga kuha ng stock camera nio will be saved din don sa new phone storage niyo.

ang result nito is ang external micro sd-card na ninyo ang babasahin niyang phone storage, so lahat ng mga downloads niyo don na mapunta and if you use APP2SD, don na rin malipat ang mga naka install na softwares nyo na pwedeng i move from internal storage to phone storage.

example nito:

- our stock phone storage is only more or less 1.58GB
- then you have a 16GB external micro-sd

if you apply the above procedure the phone will read the following (by verifying in the settings/storage):

- ang phone storage will become 16GB
- ang sd-card will be 1.58GB

meaning, the phone system will read the external micro sd-card as the phone storage, while original phone storage will be read as sd-card...

WARNING: Do this at your OWN RISK... thanks:salute:

paulpacs
20th Nov 2012, 21:57
@Bondying Thanks for the info.
@Androiddtank You can try the procedure above or you can use LINK2SD or DATA2EXT or even INT2EXT. But read up on those before you try them. It involves making another partition on your Micro SD. Lots of procedures now available to you. Wharts important is you can do any of them for you are already the SUPERUSER of your ASTRA.

hotdawg
21st Nov 2012, 05:54
@Bondying

thank you for sharing that sir, whoo thats nice.

rvpb
21st Nov 2012, 05:59
@paulpacs

my astra is rooted, thank you sir... :clap:

hotdawg
21st Nov 2012, 07:00
Guys ask lng,

what are the apps/system apps/ or anything na delete niyo after you rooted your astra?

androidddtank
21st Nov 2012, 08:25
thank u mga sir.. masubukan nga ito :thumbsup:

androidddtank
21st Nov 2012, 08:51
@Bondying Thanks for the info.
@Androiddtank You can try the procedure above or you can use LINK2SD or DATA2EXT or even INT2EXT. But read up on those before you try them. It involves making another partition on your Micro SD. Lots of procedures now available to you. Wharts important is you can do any of them for you are already the SUPERUSER of your ASTRA.

hmmm.. ung app2sd, LINK2SD or DATA2EXT or even INT2EXT ay sa phone storage sya nagsasave.. Hindi sa 16gb kng SDcard.

bondying1977
21st Nov 2012, 11:28
hmmm.. ung app2sd, LINK2SD or DATA2EXT or even INT2EXT ay sa phone storage sya nagsasave.. Hindi sa 16gb kng SDcard.

ganoon nga talaga pag Android ICS sir, sa phone storage sya mag save and not sa external micro sd-card mo. yan ata talaga ang default sd-card ng system. ang external card mo is read by the system as sd-card2 kasi.

kaya if you want to make your external card read by the system as sd-card (not as sd-card2), then apply the procedure that I posted above.

I am using using it since last night, and wala pa naman akong problems. Actually base sa Antutu test, tumaas ng konti ang rating ng phone ko after applying the said procedure...:salute:

androidddtank
21st Nov 2012, 11:29
to those who wants to make their external micro sd-card to be read as the phone storage, use the instruction on this site:

then sa Settings/Storage, set nyo ang "DEFAULT WRITE DISK" to Phone storage, para ang mga kuha ng stock camera nio will be saved din don sa new phone storage niyo.

ang result nito is ang external micro sd-card na ninyo ang babasahin niyang phone storage, so lahat ng mga downloads niyo don na mapunta and if you use APP2SD, don na rin malipat ang mga naka install na softwares nyo na pwedeng i move from internal storage to phone storage.

example nito:

if you apply the above procedure the phone will read the following (by verifying in the settings/storage):

meaning, the phone system will read the external micro sd-card as the phone storage, while original phone storage will be read as sd-card...

thank you bondying1977.. :yipee: :rofl:
ang phone storage ko ay sa SDcard na nagsaSave.. ty again :thumbsup:

bondying1977
21st Nov 2012, 11:39
Guys ask lng,

what are the apps/system apps/ or anything na delete niyo after you rooted your astra?

konti man lang natanggal ko sir. ang maalala ko ay yong weather widget, then ang stock launcher (pinalitan ko ng holo HD launcher, same rin lang naman sila). di ko na maremember ang iba...

bondying1977
21st Nov 2012, 11:48
thank you bondying1977.. :yipee: :rofl:
ang phone storage ko ay sa SDcard na nagsaSave.. ty again :thumbsup:

ayos sir...

gamit ka rin ng APP2SD sir, para ang mga naka install mo na softwares na pwedeng ilipat from internal to phone storage ay mailipat mo. at least di masyado liliit ang internal storage ng phone mo...:salute:

hotdawg
21st Nov 2012, 12:06
@ bondying

What do you mean stock launcher sir? Panu mona tangal mga widget sir?

androidddtank
21st Nov 2012, 12:40
completo na lahat.. ang kulang nalng ay CUSTOM ROM sa Astra.. :excited:

mga sir, baka my alam kau jan na mga flashable .zip para sa astra, share nmn kau.. :clap:

androidddtank
21st Nov 2012, 12:45
@ bondying

What do you mean stock launcher sir? Panu mona tangal mga widget sir?

stock launcher = original launcher ng astra..

removing apps = open file explorer system/apps delete ka nlng ng mga apps jan.. be careful lang.. do a back up (just in case na magkaproblema ka or gusto mong erestore ang nadeleted mong apps) :)

bondying1977
21st Nov 2012, 14:51
stock launcher = original launcher ng astra..

removing apps = open file explorer system/apps delete ka nlng ng mga apps jan.. be careful lang.. do a back up (just in case na magkaproblema ka or gusto mong erestore ang nadeleted mong apps) :)

di ko agad delete, move ko lang sila sa external sdcard ko. ingat nga lang else magloko ang system mo if matanggal mo apps that is needed by the system to run.:salute:

paulpacs
21st Nov 2012, 16:20
For CUSTOM ROM, we have to find a MT6577 or MT657* kitchen, Then we need to DUMP the Full ASTRA ROM, then USE THAT ROM in the Kitchen.

Search nyo lang sa Google for MT6577 Kitchen. Tinatamad ako sa instructions, hehehe.

Actually when you PASS the ORIG ROM through the Kitchen, even without TWEAKING, t will automatically be: DEOXED, ZIPALIGNED, EXT.KO ON, some SPEED TEAKS applied, some BATTERY TWEAKS applied. After the kitchen even with the basic setup, you would certainly look like a CERTIFIED ASTRA ROM DEVELOPER, hehehe.

I read it from a post on XDA-DEVELOPERS after much searching but te link (history) is on my office PC. I am on 6-day out of office hiatus.

Good luck to whoever wants to DEVELOP a CUSTOM ROM.

OT: On my thread at XDA-DEVELOPERS, some are ranting that how come the ASTRA got a CWM recovery right away when the LG Optimus 7 doesn't even have a CWM Recovery yet, hahaha.

OT2: Devoting my time for the moment to ROOT CHERRY MOBILE FLARE, I am a little impressed with this SMALL WONDER.

androidddtank
21st Nov 2012, 16:58
haha.. sakit sa ulo.. :pray: antay nlng na my magdevelop ng custom rom :lol:

joshmagora
21st Nov 2012, 19:17
Ano po ba ung CWM based recovery ? At custom rom ? Ano po mga epekto nyan ?

hotdawg
22nd Nov 2012, 05:11
@bondying

Sir pa turo kung panu palitan yung stock launcher po at san download yung HOLO launcher.

TIA.

bondying1977
22nd Nov 2012, 10:08
@bondying

Sir pa turo kung panu palitan yung stock launcher po at san download yung HOLO launcher.

TIA.

sir, HOLO launcher can be downloaded sa playstore. actually maraming choices don for launchers.

once ma-install mo ang na download mo na HOLO launcher (or any launchers), just press the home button ng astra, and lalabas ang option to choose what launchers you want to use.

as of now bumalik ako sa stock launcher since same lang naman pala sila sa HOLO and disadvantage sa HOLO is di mag reflect sa messaging icon and call icon if you received a text message or missed call. malaman mo lang na may text or missed call ka thru the blue led notification and icon on the notification bar.

Sa stock launcher kasi merong lalabas sa icons. :salute:

eyesonfire
22nd Nov 2012, 11:36
grats sir eyes

change na density to 190 sir para astig yung screen talaga.

you can download the density changer sa playstore yung free na chinese.

DL ko na yung Density Changer as what you suggested. hehehe ano palang original density ng phone natin para pede kong ibalik sa original kugn sakali.

hotdawg
22nd Nov 2012, 12:26
240 ang stock sir, I'm currently using 190, asteeg toh

rbmagnayon
22nd Nov 2012, 12:27
bm muna

eyesonfire
22nd Nov 2012, 13:06

example nito:

Thanks sir!!! effective! na lalaro ko na ung mga games na d ko malaro dati due to high space requirements. :dance::yipee::clap:

hotdawg
22nd Nov 2012, 13:50
guys anyone tried using samsung charger? ok lang bah? i mean di mag overload batt ng astra natin?:help:

bondying1977
22nd Nov 2012, 19:07
sir, charger ng alatel, lg and samsung nagamit ko na (tamad kasi ko magdala ng charger, hiram lang ko lagi sa mga kasama ko hehe), ok naman. wala akong problems na encounter.

additional info pala, if fully discharge ang batery nyo (yong namatay talaga coz totally out of power na sya), pag charge nyo di sya mag charge. so ginawa ko, tanggal muna batery then afte 1 min, kabit ko ulit and yon nag charge na.

experience ko yan last night, sinaksak ko charger, lumabas ang indicator then nawala akala ko charging na. pag gising ko, discharge pa rin sya.

hotdawg
23rd Nov 2012, 03:19
im glad pwede ibang charger, whew.

Can anyone post and share a stock zip file of astras rom? na delete ko ibang file file by accident lol.

vanir29
23rd Nov 2012, 09:43
sir paulpacs, db may CWM recovery n 2ng Astra? eh di pwede ng mag nandroid back up? planning to buy this phone soon :thumbsup:

sir regarding battery life, ganu pla katagal pag normal usage?

bealac
23rd Nov 2012, 14:36
sir paulpacs, db may CWM recovery n 2ng Astra? eh di pwede ng mag nandroid back up? planning to buy this phone soon :thumbsup:

sir regarding battery life, ganu pla katagal pag normal usage?

Just done rooting and installing cwm recovery. also made a backup from cwm recovery before doing anything extra ordinary. lol. ok nman successful ang backup. hindi ko pa nga lang natry mag restore from backup na nagawa ko. maraming salamat kay Paulpacs. :yipee:

vanir29
23rd Nov 2012, 16:34
Just done rooting and installing cwm recovery. also made a backup from cwm recovery before doing anything extra ordinary. lol. ok nman successful ang backup. hindi ko pa nga lang natry mag restore from backup na nagawa ko. maraming salamat kay Paulpacs. :yipee:

sir bat inde mo ntry mag restore? minsan kc nag "MD5 mismatch" pag nagrerestore, meaning fail ung pag back up, minsan kc gnun ung ngyayari sa phone ko ngaun eh (sgw), not sure if gnun din d2

@all - may flashable rom n b 2ng Astra? khit inde custom, kahit stock lng, pra lng may solution sakaling ma softbrick, thanks

paulpacs
23rd Nov 2012, 17:27
Yup. It has CWM Recovery so you can do backups although this is the advanced type of backups where there is a Blobs directory. New CWM recoveries use these type of new backups, this ia not similar to a nandroid backup. Although the boot.img and system.img are still saved. I havent tried to restore too as there is no need as of the moment.

OT: almost bricked my astra today as i messed with boot logo ang logo.bin. There could be a ROM available for the Astra but it is from i-mobile for the Q2 Duo. Saw that once but forgot where it was. Its thai so I had hard time understanding. But if the worst comes then surely ill look for that and flash it.

vanir29
23rd Nov 2012, 19:36
Yup. It has CWM Recovery so you can do backups although this is the advanced type of backups where there is a Blobs directory. New CWM recoveries use these type of new backups, this ia not similar to a nandroid backup. Although the boot.img and system.img are still saved. I havent tried to restore too as there is no need as of the moment.

OT: almost bricked my astra today as i messed with boot logo ang logo.bin. There could be a ROM available for the Astra but it is from i-mobile for the Q2 Duo. Saw that once but forgot where it was. Its thai so I had hard time understanding. But if the worst comes then surely ill look for that and flash it.

sir di po ba kau dev? inde po ba pde gumawa ng flashable zip using ung existing nyong rom? sorry po sa mga tanong, inde ko din tlga kc alam eh, thanks

paulpacs
23rd Nov 2012, 23:58
To answer your question:

It is hard to dump this ROM from the Phone, meaning copy the ROM from the phone. And YES a FLASHABLE ZIP can be made but you would have to find a suitable KITCHEN for it. Rom Dumping can be done probably with SP FLASH TOOL, and there is already an available MT6577 ICS KITCHEN ready made.

However, I do not have time to do all those things, I am only concerned with ROOTING so I can install whatever APPS I like, and CWM to install whatever flashable zips I like for Customization.

But to cook a custom ROM? Nope, not this time. My GTAB7 and ZTE Blade already took MOST of my time. Im happy with the ROM this ASTRA has, and made some customizations for myself. So I dont really need a Custom ROM with this phone. But feel free to try though.

OT: Even just messing with the logo.bin to remove the Starmobile startup logo ALMOST bricked my TAB and made me lose my entire afternoon, LOL, so no more losing time over this, hehe. Although I am looking for one more customization, making the notification bar TRANSPARENT. after that I will be satisfied with my ASTRA.

hotdawg
24th Nov 2012, 01:03
@paulpacs

Nice to know na di talaga na brick astra mo sir, hope you can share soon your customization and the steps.

@all

Guys ive removed alot of bloatware and unwanted apps. kahit stock clock na remove ko. lol

just be careful and remember to backup, which i failed to do. hahahaha

hotdawg
24th Nov 2012, 06:21
Hi Guys,

I found something on XDA u might find useful for modding battery.

vanir29
24th Nov 2012, 07:40
To answer your question:

It is hard to dump this ROM from the Phone, meaning copy the ROM from the phone. And YES a FLASHABLE ZIP can be made but you would have to find a suitable KITCHEN for it. Rom Dumping can be done probably with SP FLASH TOOL, and there is already an available MT6577 ICS KITCHEN ready made.

However, I do not have time to do all those things, I am only concerned with ROOTING so I can install whatever APPS I like, and CWM to install whatever flashable zips I like for Customization.

But to cook a custom ROM? Nope, not this time. My GTAB7 and ZTE Blade already took MOST of my time. Im happy with the ROM this ASTRA has, and made some customizations for myself. So I dont really need a Custom ROM with this phone. But feel free to try though.

OT: Even just messing with the logo.bin to remove the Starmobile startup logo ALMOST bricked my TAB and made me lose my entire afternoon, LOL, so no more losing time over this, hehe. Although I am looking for one more customization, making the notification bar TRANSPARENT. after that I will be satisfied with my ASTRA.

Thanks for the enlightenment sir and sorry for bugging you, again thanks :salute:

androidddtank
24th Nov 2012, 10:07
can someone upload the flashable modded ICS battery? thanks

paulpacs
24th Nov 2012, 23:01
@Vanir29 No probs bro, glad to help and explain

@Hotdawg, Hahaha, I see you are fed up with the ANDROID battery indicator, well when you do those procedure and edit the SystemUi.Apk then you are on the road to developing CUSTOMIZATIONS!!! GO Hotdawg More Power To You. Seems like you're the one who was time to do these things.

Atsaka, d ko naman pwede post ko flashable.zip para sa customization ko mga pre, kasi sa pag.edit ko ng logo.bin MUKHA ko nilagay ko sa STARUP LOGO hahahaha, di nman pwede mukha ko lalabas sa phone nyo. Post ko nlang dito mamaya STEPS kung gusto nyo mag.edit ng LOGO.BIN at BOOT_LOGO. Thats the STARMOBILE LOGO that flashes for approx 3 seconds during startup.

hotdawg
25th Nov 2012, 02:16
@paul

Kelangan ko pa ma praktis yung pag dev, haha 10 years na akp di nag pprogram after college. At parang yujgmga subjects nmin bwfore outdated na lol

Guys shate your customization and or roms if uve done any, tia

lecksmatt
25th Nov 2012, 12:50
I am very thankful for this post author/TS!
I finished rooting my MyPhone A898 Duo using this method as you said it will work on 898!
I rooted it this last midnight 1am haha, and dang I got scared because this rooting method really differs from my last phone SGY..
At first, i forgot to install the driver needed for rooting and i forgot to on the USB debugging that's why i waited and waited for nothing haha, how cool is that? XD
But i really want to thank you alot for making this thread, you helped so many kasymbianize here..
So now, i'm finding a guide on how to backup my phone so that if anything bad happens to it, i can revert it back..
I know i will be using TB to backup my installed apps but i want to backup the whole phone para isang balikan nlng..
Thank you again ng marami marami marami hahaha! :rofl:

bondying1977
25th Nov 2012, 13:28
pa OT:

@paulpacs

sir, meron ka ring flare di ba?

ano sa tingin mo ang mas smooth ang operation, flare or astra. sa akin kasi parang lamang ang astra sa flare. well mura nga lang ang flare and mas ok ang form factor. hehehe...

im trying to decide kasi what will ill let go, my flare or astra.
as of now, mas gusto ko i-retain ang astra kaso mejo bulky lang talaga sya compared to flare...

:noidea: :noidea: :noidea:

paulpacs
25th Nov 2012, 17:36
Your welcome lecksmatt, heres another TRIVIA HEHEHE the procedure I posted can ALSO BE USED FOR THE CHERRY MOBILE FLARE hehehe. Infact baka nga dito lang sila na inspire para gumawa procedure. Hehehe. Magkaiba lang sa pag.install ng drivers. Pero same file from Bin4ry. Hehehe.

@Bondying. Speedwise both Astra and Flare are almost the same. I say almost kasi slightly faster ang Astra. Pero HEAVIER ang Astra. If I were you. Id stick with the Astra. Although if the FLARE came out before the ASTRA then i wont even give the astra a second look because of the price difference. Cge lang binayaran mo nlang ng extra 3000 ang TV Tuner sa Astra. Hahaha. I stick with the Astra coz this is my first buy and i dont want to feel regret. Naks. Hahaha. Anyway hands down the Astra still beats the A919 at 7499. Hehe.

iamgenesis21
25th Nov 2012, 18:13
hinpo po nagrestart..pwede po ba ulitin ang steps?may isang driver na d nainstall..yung star mobile astra.. pano po to?

iamgenesis21
25th Nov 2012, 20:43
help naman po..

paulpacs
25th Nov 2012, 20:47
Yup pwede ulitin if nag fail. Meron nang users na inulit dahil may nakalimutan.

bealac
26th Nov 2012, 10:23
Wala po ba problem fm radio nyo? nagfoforce close kasi yung akin.. i wonder baka dahil sa paginstall ko ng sound mod.. pakicheck naman po kung ok. at kung meron po ba ibang apps para sa fm radio? thanks in advance..

paulpacs
26th Nov 2012, 19:05
A result of SEARCHING for a CUSTOM ROM for the ASTRA (also imobile istyle q2 duo in Thailand)

Here it is:

From what I understand (google translate), it has these features and more:
1. Extended POWER Menu, meaning instead of having just POWER OFF when you press Power Button, you also get REBOOT and RECOVERY option.
2. Battery Icon in Status Bar has been changed.
3. Applied JellyBean Sounds (?!) and Camera and Gallery App ported from Jellybean.
4. Status Bar is now Jellybean Style.
5. Has init.d support
and more...

This is only for those WHO are willing to TEST and USE it, as I havent yet backed up the ENTIRE ASTRA ROM, so when you Flash This you MIGHT not be able to get back to the orig ASTRA ROM, but the purpose of flashing Custom ROM is to find improvements so why go back?
For experienced users only please. This POST is for reference ONLY please and temptation for those who want to MAYBE flash this (me included).

iamgenesis21
26th Nov 2012, 19:09
san po makikita ang pda.net sir?

iamgenesis21
26th Nov 2012, 20:59
badtrip.. d ko makita .net......................................