Where can I find a step-by-step guide to unlocking my iPhone?
- Have a look here.
Can I unlock my iPhone via Ultrasn0w?
Basebands Currently Unlockable with ultrasn0w
Basebands Currently NOT Unlockable with ultrasn0w
** iPad baseband option, will result in loss of GPS, warranty and cannot be downgraded. You should check this blog post about this.
How can I install Ultrasn0w on my iPhone without Wi-Fi?
- Got yourself in a pickle, eh? No wi-fi available, and you can't connect to the data network because you need ultrasnow?
- You have to install ultrasn0w using iPhone Explorer / diskaid / ifunbox Here's the ultrasn0w.deb file
- Put the ultrasn0w.deb in var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall If the Cydia/AutoInstall directory is not there, then you create one.
- Lastly, Reboot.
Note: Ultrasn0w has a dependency on mobilesubstrate, so if this is not installed on your device (if this is a fresh jailbreak it will not) then you need to download mobilesubstrate_0.9.3367 and install it the same way explained for Ultrasn0w, this should be done before installing Ultrasn0w itself.
- Or check this tutorial
What is hacktivation? How can I hacktivate?
- When an iPhone is started for the first time or freshly after a full restore, the phone serial number and imei is checked against a database in Apple to make sure its allowed to work with the SIM card inserted, this also activated push notification to the iPhone.
- iPhones that are locked, will only activate when the official SIM card of the providing carrier is inserted, Apple can recognize this from the SIM ID (ICCID) and the SIM IMSI.
- Therefore Activation opens access to all functions of the iPhone except accepting another carrier SIM card which is controlled by the Baseband (baseband runs the low level phone functions).
- If official SIM card is not available, an iPhone can be hacktivated to allow access to the iPhone functions and springboard, hacktivation is supported when creating custom firmware files (using sn0wbreeze) or some jailbreaking tools such as redsn0w.
- Note that notifications do not work with hacktivated devices unless you use the Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM) to simulate an official SIM card ID (ICCID) and IMSI.
How to use SAM to get proper activation of my iPhone?
First install SAM from the repository http://repo.bingner.com
You need to know what carrier is your phone locked to, in automatic mode SAM assumes your iPhone is locked to AT&T, otherwise you need to do some guess work until you get it right if you don't know to which carrier is your phone locked.
You first need to enter SAM, it will notify you that you are hactivated and need to first De-Activate before proceeding, go to Utilities menu and select "De-Activate iPhone" a message will come up saying that stockifying succeeded, then go back to the SAM main menu.
You need to select the Method SAM should use to generate the simulated SIM ICCID and IMSI (this appears only after the De-Activation step above), the methods include:
- Auto Detect: will assume AT&T SIM
- By Bundle Name: you can select from the various bundles across the world, then select the SIM ID prefix.
- By Country and Carrier: you can select Country, then Carrier, then under SIM ID you can select any ID prefix.
- Manual: You need to enter the correct ICCID and IMSI numbers
Once the Method is selected, make sure Enabled is switched ON. Connect your iPhone to iTunes and you will see the status bar telling you that it is contacting apple server, and if you have selected the correct settings you will see the message that you have successfuly activated your iPhone.
Other options in SAM include:
- Copying (Spoofing) ICCID and IMSI of an actual physical SIM card (perhaps you borrow it from a friend)
- Backing up activation in case you don't want to remember the settings.
- Restoring of activation from a back-up
What's the point of installing the iPad baseband (06.15.00) on my iPhone 3G/3G[S]?
- It gives you the ability to unlock the phone but at a cost. First of all you MUST stick to the baseband, so everytime you upgrade the phone you can only use a custom firmware. Second of all, you most probably will lose GPS, in which case you can only make use of cellular and WiFi triangulation for applications to get approximate location information. If you're a jailbreaker for life and you don't use GPS usually, this is for you. If not, you may wanna think about this.
- Recent tweets from MuscleNerd found here and here suggest that upgrading to iPad baseband will form the stepping stone to downgrading to an unlockable original baseband, he is 99% sure this will be the way when he gets time to work on it.
How to unlock the Verizon iPhone to another CDMA carrier?
I just got Gevey SIM and have some issues with it.
Unofficial Gevey FAQ
If your iPhone 4 has custom firmware, the GEVEY Sim adapter will not work. You must restore your iPhone 4 to the original iPhone 4 Firmware.(Unofficial)
If after booting up the iPhone 4, and you do not see the "accept" screen, make sure you have an active sim and that it is correctly inserted in your iPhone.
Is it illegal to dial 112 to unlock my iPhone?
IT IS NOT ILLEGAL to dial 112. You're not suppose to connect the call nor wait long enough to let it ring!
What is GEVEY sim?
Gevey Sim is an unlock solution for iPhone 4 iOS 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.2.1, 4.3 ,4.3.1, 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5, 5.0, 5.0.1 with baseband 01.59, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10.1
Do I need to Jailbreak my iPhone?
No Jailbreak is require.
Note: if your iPhone is jailbroken and you are using GEVEY sim, do not do a reset to erase all data and settings.
Will I need to cut my sim card?
Yes, you have to cut your simcard to fit the provided GEVEY sim tray.
Is this unlock stable?
Yes, it is very stable.
How easy is it to install and setup GEVEY sim?
GEVEY sim setup and installation is very simple. Instruction is included with every GEVEY sim purchases.
Do I need leave the GEVEY sim in my iPhone4?
Yes, if you want to remain unlock and be able to use your iPhone4 with any carrier.
If you turn off the phone, do I have to redo the procedure?
If I go out of my coverage area and lose signal will I have to redo the procedure?
No, you phone is still unlock.
Will this work for Boost Mobile?
No, it does not work on Boost Mobile, Metro PCS, nor Verizon
Will GEVEY sim interfer with my iOS or application setting?
Does 3G and GPRS work?
Yes, it can if you have a data plan ith your carrier. Not all carrier will work with 3G services, but all carrier will work with GPRS or EDGE.
How can I test if push notifications work on my iDevice?
- Other than use an application that relies on push, you can use the AppStore application iPush Test. All three tests should pass.
- There is also a Cydia App called MiTime that diagnoses both push notifications as well as FaceTime registeration (you need to have the repo http://cydia.pushfix.info/). Note that MiTime offers a paid service to activate FaceTime, the test part however requires no purchase.
After jailbreaking and installing ultrasn0w, my Verizon iPhone gets no service when locked.
Answer: Don't install ultrasn0w on a Verizon iPhone, it doesn't unlock it and is going to lead to a lot of problems, if you already have, restore, rejailbreak, and don't install it again.
What do I need to know about installing the iPad baseband (06.15.00) to unlock my iPhone 3G/3GS?
It gives you the ability to unofficially unlock the phone to use it on a different carrier, but it is not compatible with recently-manufactured iPhone 3GS devices, and it causes a number of technical problems even on compatible devices. There is now a way to downgrade the iPad baseband to an earlier baseband to avoid those technical problems.
Compatibility details: The iPad baseband will damage iPhone 3GSes that are later than approximately 2011 week 28 - you have a week 28 or later device if your serial number starts with xx128 (you can also use this web tool to check). During the span between 2011 week 28 and 2011 week 35, some devices are compatible with the iPad baseband and some aren't, so if you're feeling lucky you can take your chances. If you have an iPhone 3GS in this incompatible category, you can't unofficially unlock it.
Problems with having the iPad baseband installed:
- Your phone will lose its native GPS capability. It will still be able to use cellular and WiFi triangulation to enable applications to get approximate location information (see hybrid positioning system and WiFi positioning system for more explanation).
- Every time you upgrade or restore the phone, you have to use custom firmware or else the upgrade/restore probably won't work. If the upgrade/restore does work, the device won't get service until you reinstall the iPad baseband.
- Having the iPad baseband on your iPhone 3G/3GS means that its warranty is void, so Apple may refuse to service or replace it if you run into problems. (The iPad baseband is obvious to Apple if they look at your phone.)
For more detailed warnings about installing the iPad baseband, see the Dev Team's original blog post about it. If you still want to do it, use the latest version of redsn0w (click "Jailbreak", select "Install iPad baseband", and after you're done install ultrasn0w from Cydia).
How to downgrade the iPad baseband to a better unlockable baseband:
As of redsn0w version 0.9.14b1, it can downgrade an iPhone 3G or 3GS from 6.15.00 to 05.13.04. This baseband is better because it supports GPS, only requires using custom firmware to upgrade/restore if you want to preserve the baseband, and allows you to restore the device to a seemingly-unmodified state (if you no longer want the device to be jailbroken or unofficially unlocked). [TUT] Downgrade iPhone 3G & 3G 06.15 baseband
Can I get some help with using Gevey SIM?
We don't have much support for Gevey here -- it's not free, and most of the mods don't have any experience with it anyway. Most importantly, using Gevey SIMs requires calling emergency numbers (and then hanging up), which is of questionable legality, which means we don't support doing that. See MuscleNerd's tweet about this.
If you jailbreak your phone and use FuriousMod along with Gevey Ultra, you don't have to manually dial emergency numbers, so you have a smaller chance of error. We recommend this option.
If you purchased from an official seller (Gevey, Applenberry, or another one from this list), your best option is really to get support directly from them.
We definitely don't support fake/copy/clone versions (such as Pro Plus, Supreme, Turbo SIM, Ultra Turbo, etc.) - get support from whoever sold it to you, and not from here. Threads about fake/copy/clone versions may be closed or deleted.
How to choose a GEVEY™ to unlock your iPhone
- GEVEY Ultra unlocks your GSM iPhone 4 and will work for iOS version 4.1, 4.2, 4.2.1, 4.3, 4.3.1, 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5, 5.0*,5.0.1*,5.1* and 5.1.1* and must have modem firmware 1.59.00, 2.10.04, 3.10.01, 4.10.01. (Baseband version with 04.11.08, 04.12.01 is NOT able to unlock.)
- GEVEY Ultra S(GSM) unlocks GSM iPhone 4S running iOS 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.1 and 5.1.1. (Not able to unlock a CDMA iPhone 4S)
- GEVEY Ultra S(CDMA) unlocks GSM iPhone 4S running iOS 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.1 and 5.1.1 (with modern firmware 01.0.13 and 02.0.12) and will also unlock jailbroken CDMA iPhone 4S running iOS 5.0, 5.0.1 and 5.1.1.(with modern firmware 01.0.13 and 02.0.12)