Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Chess Thread

The end of chess as we know it...?

Google's AlphaZero Destroys Stockfish In 100-Game Match

AlphaZero taught itself chess in four hours and destroys the strongest chess engine. Naalala ko dito bigla si Naruto employing his clones to learn techniques and styles to save time, haha. AlphaZero beat its creator AlphaGo at Go 100-nil, then spent another 2 hours to teach itself Japanese chess Shogi and annihilated Elmo, the best program at playing Shogi.

Houdini, SF, Komodo, and oldtimer Rybka are last heard convening Chesstice League to address the new threat.

And someone surreptitiously sent a coded SOS to John Connor.... :lol:

The end of chess as we know it...?

Google's AlphaZero Destroys Stockfish In 100-Game Match

AlphaZero taught itself chess in four hours and destroys the strongest chess engine. Naalala ko dito bigla si Naruto employing his clones to learn techniques and styles to save time, haha. AlphaZero beat its creator AlphaGo at Go 100-nil, then spent another 2 hours to teach itself Japanese chess Shogi and annihilated Elmo, the best program at playing Shogi.

Houdini, SF, Komodo, and oldtimer Rybka are last heard convening Chesstice League to address the new threat.

And someone surreptitiously sent a coded SOS to John Connor.... :lol:

Hindi si John Connor ang pagasa, kung hindi si ultra instinct Goku. :lol:

To be honest, tingin ko iyung ibang sinabi dito ay hindi totoo. Hindi din nagamit ni stockfish ang book and tables.I like to see this with the best version of stockfish. Hindi din yata sinabi kung anung version ni stockfish ang ginamit. Gusto ko din iyung sinabi ni GM Kaufman na tingan natin how it will perform not using google's computers. But in terms of A.I. programming, this is impressive. :D

Hindi si John Connor ang pagasa, kung hindi si ultra instinct Goku. :lol:

To be honest, tingin ko iyung ibang sinabi dito ay hindi totoo. Hindi din nagamit ni stockfish ang book and tables.I like to see this with the best version of stockfish. Hindi din yata sinabi kung anung version ni stockfish ang ginamit. Gusto ko din iyung sinabi ni GM Kaufman na tingan natin how it will perform not using google's computers. But in terms of A.I. programming, this is impressive. :D

UI Goku. Meditation-enhanced Jirren too? :lol:

Kursunada ko rin si Simon ng Gurren Lagann, haha.

Walang book and table gamit si Stockfish, yeah. Not the normal competition setup. I even wonder perhaps Houdini would have done better in the setup used, since Houdini seems better at it after it beat SF in the blitz event of TCEC.

What would be interesting is a new TCEC with AlphaZero in it operating under formal competition rules. But yeah, still impressive. Each one to move in 1 minute. Sf going 70 million searches/second vs AlphaZero at 80k/second is quite extraordinary. Years of sleepless night programming by so many people upended by 4 hours of self-learning AI, hehe. Although that 4 hours would be equivalent to thousands of years for machine or humans.

Nice. :D

May iba ka pa ba na mga epub or pdf books link?

Check ko yung calibre library ko. :lol:

Alam ko meron pa ako from way back.

Pati chess engines, kaso before the latest from Komodo, Houdini, and Stockfish pa mga yun. Does it matter with AlphaZero around? :lol:

Which reminds me, iba talaga yung approach ni AlphaZero sa chess. That AI seems to use a holistic approach, where every position of pieces on the board matters. It seems to thrive on throttling any initiative from Stockfish by all kinds of impending threat left, right, center of the board. Laging cornered and on the defensive si Stockfish, napansin mo kung tinry mo play yung games nila? :lol:

Check ko yung calibre library ko. :lol:

Alam ko meron pa ako from way back.

Pati chess engines, kaso before the latest from Komodo, Houdini, and Stockfish pa mga yun. Does it matter with AlphaZero around? :lol:

Which reminds me, iba talaga yung approach ni AlphaZero sa chess. That AI seems to use a holistic approach, where every position of pieces on the board matters. It seems to thrive on throttling any initiative from Stockfish by all kinds of impending threat left, right, center of the board. Laging cornered and on the defensive si Stockfish, napansin mo kung tinry mo play yung games nila? :lol:

Hindi ko pa nakikita iyung mga games. Para sa akin doubtful iyung result, kasi hindi fair iyung condition at puti lahat si AlphaZero. Gusto ko makita ito in a fair condition. Hehe.

Hindi ko pa nakikita iyung mga games. Para sa akin doubtful iyung result, kasi hindi fair iyung condition at puti lahat si AlphaZero. Gusto ko makita ito in a fair condition. Hehe.

Meron archive ang chess.com with commentaries. 50-50 ata black and white sina Stockfish and AlphaZero. Mas marami lang talagang win si AlphaZero sa white, which suggest na advantage talaga dapat ang white position.

The settings are basically even, but because of the nature of their programming, di access ni Stockfish ang full play potential nya. There's an interesting review by Princeton about the games, nakita ko nung kelan, hehe.

Sana buhayin ang TCEC isali si AlphaZero magkaalaman talaga. Regular and blitz form, hehe.

Meron archive ang chess.com with commentaries. 50-50 ata black and white sina Stockfish and AlphaZero. Mas marami lang talagang win si AlphaZero sa white, which suggest na advantage talaga dapat ang white position.

The settings are basically even, but because of the nature of their programming, di access ni Stockfish ang full play potential nya. There's an interesting review by Princeton about the games, nakita ko nung kelan, hehe.

Sana buhayin ang TCEC isali si AlphaZero magkaalaman talaga. Regular and blitz form, hehe.

Stockfish does not have access to its table and book knowledge. It is not the latest version of Stockfish. Alpazero runs on the powerful machine by google. Stockfish is limited to 1 minute. This diminish its strength kasi brute force ang lakas ni stockfish hehe. So i think the condition is not fair. Sana nga isali si Alphazero sa TSEC, pero mukhang hindi siya isasali ng google. Hehe.

Stockfish does not have access to its table and book knowledge. It is not the latest version of Stockfish. Alpazero runs on the powerful machine by google. Stockfish is limited to 1 minute. This diminish its strength kasi brute force ang lakas ni stockfish hehe. So i think the condition is not fair. Sana nga isali si Alphazero sa TSEC, pero mukhang hindi siya isasali ng google. Hehe.

It is somewhat a castrated Stockfish for sure, kahit na mas malaki ang positional search advantage niya kay AlphaZero, haha. Thing is they're structured very differently. Stockfish lives and dies with the table and book fed it, while Alpha is more like a human being, relying on what it learned by itself about the game. Para daw bulldozer (SF) versus full powered drone (AlphaZero) hahaha.

Another TCEC para makita din natin how the teams at Stockfish and Komodo would react against AlphaZero's unique programming. Si Houdini solo work ni Houdard so I dunno if he's up to the challenge given the intense work he has in his science work—presumably, hehe.

Still, I found the games quite interesting.

May paper evaluating AlphaZero's performance last year dito. Check ko cguro mamaya, haha.

The "well-trained" Alpha Zero program then played a 100 game match against Stockfish, in which it used a computer with four TPUs while Stockfish was running on hardware with "64 threads". In 25 of the 28 games Alpha Zero won in this match Alpha Zero was playing with White but with Black it won only three games. That is a very unusual result. Usually, there's 55% statistical difference between White and Black in chess. In Go and Shogi matches the difference between playing with White and playing with Black was much less marked.

The "well-trained" Alpha Zero program then played a 100 game match against Stockfish, in which it used a computer with four TPUs while Stockfish was running on hardware with "64 threads". In 25 of the 28 games Alpha Zero won in this match Alpha Zero was playing with White but with Black it won only three games. That is a very unusual result. Usually, there's 55% statistical difference between White and Black in chess. In Go and Shogi matches the difference between playing with White and playing with Black was much less marked.

I think it has to do with AlphaZero unable to dictate the opening it preferred in black. Sa white kase it has seen the virtues of English and fianchetto openings ata, discarding the others like Ruy and the French, even the Sicilian na usually preferred sa tournaments.

With said openings, AlphaZero shows that white has disproportionate advantage against black and it shows in the games, more than the accepted figures (55% figure as cited).

It is somewhat a castrated Stockfish for sure, kahit na mas malaki ang positional search advantage niya kay AlphaZero, haha. Thing is they're structured very differently. Stockfish lives and dies with the table and book fed it, while Alpha is more like a human being, relying on what it learned by itself about the game. Para daw bulldozer (SF) versus full powered drone (AlphaZero) hahaha.

Another TCEC para makita din natin how the teams at Stockfish and Komodo would react against AlphaZero's unique programming. Si Houdini solo work ni Houdard so I dunno if he's up to the challenge given the intense work he has in his science work—presumably, hehe.

Still, I found the games quite interesting.

May paper evaluating AlphaZero's performance last year dito. Check ko cguro mamaya, haha.

Yeah their approach is different. Kaya nga gusto ko makita ang rematch in their best condition. Pero i have a feeling hindi pagbibigyan ng google ito, kasi kung sakali matalo si AlphaZero, black eye iyon sa marketing campaign nila. Hehe. Pero kung manalo naman si AlphaZero, mas lalo babango ang google niyan. Hehe. Pero i have this feeling na google won't take that risk. Hehe.

AlphaZero=Jiren
Stockfish=Goku
Google=Zeno

Hehe.

Yeah their approach is different. Kaya nga gusto ko makita ang rematch in their best condition. Pero i have a feeling hindi pagbibigyan ng google ito, kasi kung sakali matalo si AlphaZero, black eye iyon sa marketing campaign nila. Hehe. Pero kung manalo naman si AlphaZero, mas lalo babango ang google niyan. Hehe. Pero i have this feeling na google won't take that risk. Hehe.

AlphaZero=Jiren
Stockfish=Goku
Google=Zeno

Hehe.

Let's hope Google reconsiders their current position. :lol:

Naku, malapit na magkaalaman si Goku at Jiren, haha. Si Toppo magpapakitang gilas na sa susunod episodes, hehe.

Anyway, I promised to check my library, and I dug up a few:

1. 700ChessProblems
  2. Janos Flesch - Planning in Chess (epub)
  3. Janos Flesch - Planning in Chess (PDF)

Enjoy!

Eto ulit baka makatulong may lumitaw na bagong killer grandmaster sa pinas: :lol: :lol:

RAR BUNDLE: 10 Chess Books on Combinations & Tactics
(PDF format unless indicated otherwise)

Bundle Contains:

1. Anthology of Chess Combinations (djvu format)
  2. Chess Tactics for Champions
  3. Encyclopedia of Chess Combinations (4th Ed)
  4. How to Calculate Chess Tactics
  5. Modern Chess Openings 14
  6. Sharpen Your Chess Tactics in 7 Days
  7. The Basis of Combination in Chess
  8. The Chess Kid's Book of Tactics
  9. The Golden Treasury of Chess
  10. The Penguin Book of Chess Positions

DOWNLOAD BUNDLE 140 MB size

Back
Top Bottom