Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Guide on How to Determine Genuine and Class A (Fake) Memory Stick

jay_soriano56

Apprentice
Advanced Member
Reaction score
Currently, there is a huge batch of fake memory sticks in the market. It looks so real that even supplier can't see the differences.

While walking around Sim Lim today, I also spotted some shop selling fake SONY memory stick pro duo. As I have known, there are currently 3 brands of fake memory stick pro duo products and 2 of them are in Singapore. They are:

- Sony
- Sandisk
- Lexar

Mostly will ask.. HUH!! SANDISK (note.. not SCANDISK is SANDISK)!! Serious or not!! yes.. serious!! THERE IS FAKE SANDISK MEMORY STICK PRO DUO!! lol

Anyway this short tips here will tell beginners on spotting the fake SONY memory stick pro duo products. The sandisk one I'm still doing the investigation. All the informations given below are based on web infos + SONY given infos.

1 - Prices
The prices of fake MS Pro Duo are very cheap at retail shop... unless the boss is doing a closing down sales. :happy: The price are usually ranging bout $200-$250 for a 2GB one, and this price is actually the supplier price for an original one.

2 - Seals
Original Sony Package Seals have Long Staple like Seal, and it is sealed in using heat. Fake one have round seals, and the seals are sealed up using glue.

Genuine

11b3_2.JPG

real_1gb_sony.jpg

FAKE / CLASS A

7620_2.JPG

fake_512_sony.jpg

3 - Capacity
Fake 2GB MS Pro Duo have 1948MB and 1959MB of memory space when it is shown on devices like PSP. Genuine one have a capacity of 1909MB while some devices will read 1910MB.

For the old batch of 1948MB Fake version, I actually feel quite shocking... because it indeed can save up to 1948MB!! Tested and Proven by myself!!

For the 1948mb newer version and 1959MB Fake version, all I have to say is good luck. although it is written 1959MB, the size actually cannot hold more than 1GB.. which is reported by a lot of people, so it means that it is the "cheat" which makes the software reads 1959MB.. while the card is only around 1GB.

4 - Transfer Speed
The transfer speed of real one is at about 80Mbps. Fake one will have slower transfer speed. 1948MB one actually can go on 65Mbps to 70Mbps... 1959MB one ... at most 60Mbps.

To test timing, try transfering a 1GB file to the stick and use the stopwatch to calculate the time of file transfer. This is the easiest way.

5 - Structures
Fake MS Pro Duo is thicker than original one. Try fitting it into an adapter, and you will find that the fitting have problems. It doesn't seems to fit into the adapter.. (feel like squeeze it in). The newer fake version even have problems fitting into PSP.. as reported by Sony as the memory stick is stuck inside the PSP. (newer one are the 1959mb versions)

The words carved behind the Fake MS Pro Duo card is printed on... while the original is engraved into it. The know if it is printed on or not... just use your thumb to feel it. Fake one.. the words u feel is like a bit of pop up.... the original one u cant feel the words.

The metallic stripes, also call the connectors, for fake one... should have black holes seen on the metal stripe as the metal stripe did not cover fully, and this happen the most common on the 1959mb version and the 1948mb newer version. The original one is fully covered to the bottom without showing any incomplete-ness.

6 - Package
The Fake package.. actually looks totally alike compare to the real package. No one can actually see the differences!! Even the hologram seems so real!! The package... if u take a look properly... u will know that at the side of the package there is 4 pictures. Notice carefully!! some packages pictures are not in order!!

Some people told me to look out at the PSP compatible logo at the top corner. If got, means fake one. But just take note, the PSP compatible logo is AVAILABLE on the japanese version of original MS pro duo.. and it cannot be used to determine whether it is fake or genuine.

turn it to the back of the packge.. and look at the black printing.. for fake one... u will see white spots on the black part of the printing. Good quality printing by sony will show that there is NO white spots!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those now holding the old 1948MB version, I might just say U are lucky for a while, as there is still not much problem on this card. Those with newer 1948mb and 1959mb that can actually hold only 1GB of data... take care..

INSIST on a warranty card if u r getting sandisk one... for the 5 years warranty. Sony one im not too sure bout the online warranty status... but keep the receipt!! if u discover that it is a fake one... bring it down to SONY with the receipt!!

The above only show some of the tips... any more info i will add in... and pls give in more information about looking out for fake MS Pro Duo.

Reference
:
Distingush Genuine & Fake Memory Stick Pro Duo

makikita nyo rin sa psp kung fake or orig ang memory stick, browse to Photo section sa menu then press triangle, makikita sa image sa baba na "Unknown" ibig sabihin, class a or fake ang memory stick. Kung genuine naman, "Supported" dapat ang nakalagay

snap000-4.jpg

snap001-2.jpg

Last edited:
kaya pala napeke pala ako ng mmc :weep: :ranting: salamat dito sa info huhuh napeke ako T@#$*n@!!!!!! bakit ganun huhuhu ano kaya mabuti gawin ko ibalik ko kaya to!!! huhuhuhu

mga bro pag sa pinas k lang naman ang class A (fake) na MC skin 4GB with 6 mos warranty k prin nputol pa ung dulo as of now maganda parin ang takbo na outlast n nga ang warranty nya

if you buy fake MC of PSP make sure na kya nyang punuin yung required capacity nya may mga fake n 4GB pero dkaya hangang 3GB lang if that happens papalitan nyo agad.

sensya n medyo OT

Last edited:
...mganda nb ung 8gig neon!?wala bng prob or hang!?...kc gs2 q sana magplit ng 8gig nali2itan kc aq sa 4gig!?

...mganda nb ung 8gig neon!?wala bng prob or hang!?...kc gs2 q sana magplit ng 8gig nali2itan kc aq sa 4gig!?

bili ka na lang ng isa pang 4gig.... :giggle: kasi kung masira yang 8gig at wala na sa warranty... mas masakit sa puso... i've been there....

pre, whats your recommended brand ng mmc kung bibili ako ng class a na 4gig?? :help:

kc parang may problem yung mmc ko na 4 gig.. nag "cyclic redunduncy error: kpag nag ffile transfer ako ng mga games basta malalaki...

any comment??

@wurm
mmc-> memory stick pro duo po (yeah i know what it means)... meron din kasing MMC na memory card baka ma-confuse lang ung iba..

class a? wala. buy Sandisk (di ako nagsisi, mabilis pa magtransfer) or bili kana lang ng micro SD (not with the SDHC) na may pro duo adapter dahil mas mura yung micro SD kaysa Memory Stick pro duo.

bili ka na lang ng isa pang 4gig.... kasi kung masira yang 8gig at wala na sa warranty... mas masakit sa puso... i've been there....

...awww ganun b!?bkt panget b ung 8gig?!i mean mdaling msira of what ever!?

original man or class a.... isipin mo lang "kung" masisira ang memstick beyond repair... ano mas masakit? isa sa dalawang 4 gig ang masira, or buong 8gig di na magamit? ;)

and besides... kung gusto mo talaga quality, wag kang umasa sa class a....

@langbalutdito:

yah, naka kita nko ng micro sd na may pro duo adaptor.. dba madali macra yun? but i'll go for sandisk brand!! marami din nag sasabi na maganda performance ng brand na yun for class A type.

Thanks pre!! :clap:

@langbalutdito:

yah, naka kita nko ng micro sd na may pro duo adaptor.. dba madali macra yun? but i'll go for sandisk brand!! marami din nag sasabi na maganda performance ng brand na yun for class A type.

Thanks pre!! :clap:

i might consider na bumili ng micro sd in the future kasi mas mura na siya sa standart pro duo...

at oo, sandisk forever... :giggle: yung original mas maganda ang performance kesa sony pro duo... may isa pa akong brand na ginagamit, transcend ang pangalan... pero sd card lang yun...

@ graphixor™:

bro Orig Sony 4G Mark 2 SRP P3,499

ok din naman yung sandisk cheaper alternative for sony

ok lang naman yung 8gig.. wala akong problema..

to all:

bakit ganun? class A lang pala memory ko.. tinignan ko sa psp ko yung information.. unknown naman sa magicgate nakalagay.. huhu ganun ba talaga? binili ko naman sa gogadgets yung psp ko.. :weep:

sang ayon me dyan.ok ang performance ng sandisk compare sa sony na original.base on my experience:thumbsup:

and medyo mura pa with 5 yrs warranty!:thumbsup: eto performance nya:)

Attachments

• blackSPEED.jpg
    blackSPEED.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 88
sang ayon me dyan.ok ang performance ng sandisk compare sa sony na original.base on my experience

and medyo mura pa with 5 yrs warranty! eto performance nya

...ganun b?magkano 8gig nila?

Back
Top Bottom