Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

HOW DO I KNOW IF LINUX OS IS FOR ME?? Read before trying any Linux Distro

cornibus

The Devotee
Advanced Member
Reaction score
I've used GNU/Linux (or just Linux for most people) for a good 10 plus years from 1996 to around 2008. The very first distro I've tried was Debian. At that time I used it mostly for chatting on IRC, writing bot scripts in Perl and simple bash scripts as well. Within that 10+ years I've tried other popular distributions tulad ng Slackware, Fedora, Red Hat, Mint, Puppy, CentOS, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Arch, etc. Every distribution I've tried has its weaknesses and strengths but they were all fun to use and play with.

There are currently more than 1000 Linux distributions available today. I will not dare recommend any distribution here since lahat naman tayo ay magkakaiba ng preference. It's for you to find out kung aling Linux istro ang nababagay sayo. But before you do, and if you're a plain Windoze user at the moment, HOW DO YOU KNOW IF LINUX IS FOR YOU?

Let me share to you some of the key strengths of the GNU/Linux operating system.

1. DO YOU VALUE FREEDOM?

If you know GPL (GNU General Public License), this is the License that Linux use for the Linux Kernel. The same Kernel that all Linux Distributions uses. Based on the License's statement itself, it basically means that Linux as a software is build on the core foundation that its usage and/or distribution should be FREE for everyone. That is why 99% of all Linux Distributions available today, they all can be downloaded and installed FREE OF CHARGE without you to pay for any software license.

Aside from the Linux Kernel itself, 99% of the programs and applications that you can install on a Linux machine (and there's a ton of them) are also under GPL. And since they are open source, you can always check whether the software you're using is only doing what it's supposed to do and not spying on you.

If you're tired of paying for any proprietary software and you wanted to be in control of your computer - Linux is for you!

2. DO YOU VALUE PRIVACY & SECURITY?

You probably heard about different government agencies spying on their citizens. No, it's not from a movie scene, it's a reality that still happens today. One of the most controversial was Edward Snowden's 2013 revelations about the NSA spying on US Citizens and on some other countries. Nasiwalat din noon ang ilang malalaking pangalan sa Computer/Internet business tulad ng Microsoft, Facebook, Google, Yahoo, AOL, Paltalk, etc. as "providers" of information para sa NSA, which basically means these companies are giving away their user's personal information to some government agencies.

Although there are a few Linux Distributions that has been tainted of spying to their users as well tulad ng Ubuntu, this is mainly due to the used of non-free proprietary software of these distributions.

If you value your personal privacy as well as your Internet freedom - Linux is for you!

3. DO YOU NEED BETTER PERFORMANCE OUT OF YOUR COMPUTER?

Most people who uses Windows are used to seeing better looking graphics. If you actually compare Windows XP, to Vista up to Windows 10, you will see how graphics for Windows UI (user interface) have evolved. The main reason for this is "marketing." The more better looking a desktop is, the higher the value these companies can sell it to people. And as we all know, the more better looking your desktop screen is, the higher the system resources it will use: disk space, memory, etc. On Linux on the other hand, everything usually (depending on your setup) comes out-of-the-box with all bare minimum system usage.

Also, there are 2 types of Linux Distributions: The one that we are all familiar with is called User-friendly and the other one is called User-centric. User-friendly Linux distros are the ones that when you install it comes with a desktop environment already right out-of-the-box. Just like when you install Windows, meron ka na agad desktop screen. Example ng user-friendly Linux Distro are Ubuntu, Mint and Debian.

User-centric on the other hand doesn't come with any desktop environment. Example nito are Gentoo and Archlinux. After mo install ang ganitong OS, you screen will be just black with a command prompt on the top left. Parang command prompt sa Windows. I personally prefer user-centric distro because it means I can setup my OS "ONLY AND EXACTLY THE WAY I WANT IT." Nothing more, nothing less. No bloatware, no nothing. With a User-centric Linux Distro, you can build a more lightweight, more faster desktop computer.

In Archlinux for example, it bootup in about 30sec (even if you're not using SSD) and upon bootup only uses around 20MB of memory. How about that?

If you're tired of Windows eating so much of your system resources and you wanted a much faster computer - Linux is for you!

WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?

For first time Linux users, medyo may learning curve. You would have to learn to use the terminal: Linux's most powerful tool. That's where most Linux users usually do tasks such as chatting with friends, playing music, watching videos, managing files and directories, sending email and a whole lot more.

Windows users on the other hand are used to just click Next and Next and Next and then Okay. If you're going to try to learn Linux, this is the first advice what I always tell anyone: The best way to use Linux, is to NOT ever treat it like Windows. Because once you do, then you will easily get frustrated. If you're wondering what programs you're gonna use for a specific task, if Windows have one application for it, Linux will have dozens to choose from. It's called "alternative" applications. For example on Windows there's Photoshop, on Linux there's GIMP, Krita, Inkscape, etc.

And the Linux Community is just freakin' awesome! Just be polite and you can always ask them for help.

WHAT ABOUT COMPUTER GAMING?

Now, this is where I salute Windows. The majority of high-end computer games today are built mainly for Windows. There are some that you can run on Linux though (there are ways to do that), but the performance would be very far fetch as opposed to running the game on a Windows machine. So if you're a gamer, you may want to just stick to Micro$oft Windoze... and let them drain money out of your pocket. Just kidding :)

Sana po makatulong ang simpleng guide na ito in your decision making whether you're going to just try Linux for fun along with Windows or stick with it for life.

Right now I don't really use Linux for my day to day. I'm using FreeBSD on my main computer but I do have Archlinux on my other computers at home (for my wife and kids). Also, I make sure that I only use free open source software... because they are FREE ;)

Last edited:
Medyo na fufrustrate na nga po ako sa linuxmint. I try dual booting linuxmint sa windows 7 ko. Kaso ang nangyari, di naging dual boot. Naging fully installed talaga yung linuxmint at nawala si windows. Pero yung mga files sa windows, naka save naman sa hard disk. Ewan ko ba bat di naging dual boot. Pinili ko naman yung install alongside with windows.

Anyway, nagandahan talaga ako sa linuxmint. Bumilis yung laptop ko. Dati sobrang bagal, laging nag hahang, tapos 1.7 lang yung clockspeed ng laptop ko. Kaya naisipan kong itry si linuxmint. Ang nakaka frustrate lang, need mo pala dumaan muna sa terminal if may gusto kang iinstall na wala sa software manager. Sobrang nahihirapan ako at the same, parang gusto ko na ulit bumalik kay windows. Eh, nung nag decide nakong iinstall si windows ulit, di ko naman alam anong software na pang boot ng usb na pwede iinstall sa linux. Newbie palang ako sa linux and ang hassle lang for me na hindi sanay sa terminal kasi kelangan mo talagang mag search ng mag search if may gusto kang iinstall or etc.

Medyo na fufrustrate na nga po ako sa linuxmint. I try dual booting linuxmint sa windows 7 ko. Kaso ang nangyari, di naging dual boot. Naging fully installed talaga yung linuxmint at nawala si windows. Pero yung mga files sa windows, naka save naman sa hard disk. Ewan ko ba bat di naging dual boot. Pinili ko naman yung install alongside with windows.
Okay lang yan, that's part of the learning curve. If you still can see yung mga files mo sa Windows, pero sa bootup ang lumalabas lang is Linux, that means upon installation ng Linux, you accidentally wrote down the Linux boot files (usually called GRUB2) sa partition kung saan naroroon yung boot files ni Windows. Naoverride sya kumbaga. This usually happens when you select the "auto" mode of installation instead "advanced" mode, and when your Windows and Linux OS are sharing the same hard drive. The fix there is simple but rather complicated para sa mga Linux starters. Basically, you just need to repair Windows boot by using the Windows installer (USB or CD), then you can reinstall GRUB2 manually. GRUB2 will then automatically check for your Windows installation and add it to the list of OS to boot. The next time you bootup, dalawa na makikita mo sa boot options, Linux (will be the default), then Windows.

May ginawa akong tutorial 8 years ago kung paano to gawin. It was for Ubuntu 10.04LTS, but the principle is basically the same. And Ubuntu and Mint are both Debian-based so... checkout the tutorial here.

Ang nakaka frustrate lang, need mo pala dumaan muna sa terminal if may gusto kang iinstall na wala sa software manager. Sobrang nahihirapan ako at the same, parang gusto ko na ulit bumalik kay windows.
Kung natuwa ka dahil bumilis ang PC mo, if you would learn how to use the terminal properly, your computing will be even faster. Unlike sa Windows kung saan most tasks are done with GUI (graphical user interface), terminal doesn't eat much memory, which means mas madaming kang tasks na pwedeng magawa. Kung sa Windows you can run 10 simple tasks then mag hang na sya, sa Linux terminal, you can run 100 tasks at di pa aabot sa 50% ang memory usage mo.

maraming salamat sa info TS! very informative! :salute:
lilipat kasi ako to manjaro xfce and sana d na ako babalik sa windows hehehe.. /
tanong lang TS! ok lang ba napili kong distro ? itong Manjaro XFCE?

Last edited:
maraming salamat sa info TS! very informative! :salute:
lilipat kasi ako to manjaro xfce and sana d na ako babalik sa windows hehehe.. /
tanong lang TS! ok lang ba napili kong distro ? itong Manjaro XFCE?

Manjaro is actually one of the best Linux Distro out there. It's also based on Archlinux which is my all time favorite Linux Distro.
Also, in whatever GNU/Linux or BSD I use, XFCE is always the desktop environment I choose. Anyways, that's just my preference ;)
Manjaro XFCE... go go go! Goodluck.

been tried linux from 2 years ago, for the reason of penetration testing which is si kali linux. I haven't tested other distros out there which is more user friendly like debian and Ubuntu. Somehow di naman gaano ka techi si kali, most of the command sa linux (pansin ko lang) ay applicable on both different distros, may kunting pagkakaiba nga lang. Di nako nag palit ng ibang distros cause (sa pananaw ko lang) all I can see is the same Linux lang haha (correct me). Kaya lang most of the time the downside is, my family gonna borrow my pc sometimes which is not so user friendly si kali kaya dual boot ako. Kung dun ako sa windows nakapag boot, windows ako not until makapag boot ako sa linux then linux vise versa.

- - - Updated - - -

nga po pala sir hehe pa recommend ako magandang OS aside sa windows if you don't mind, di ko dn kasi feel si kali as my main OS pero pwdy nadn.
I used GNOME nga po pala sa kali to make it more user friendly medyo laggy nga lang.

been tried linux from 2 years ago, for the reason of penetration testing which is si kali linux. I haven't tested other distros out there which is more user friendly like debian and Ubuntu. Somehow di naman gaano ka techi si kali, most of the command sa linux (pansin ko lang) ay applicable on both different distros, may kunting pagkakaiba nga lang.

Majority of Linux commands such as ls, curl, top, head, tail, awk, ps, ifconfig, etc. etc. are virtually the same in all Linux Distributions. Kahit sa FreeBSD most commands are the same since FreeBSD and Linux are both derived from UNIX. Mas lamang lang ng konti si FreeBSD since it's considered as the closest descendant of UNIX. So basically, if you're familiar with one Linux distro, trying another distro will not be that difficult.
Ang pinagkaiba lang nila in most cases are system configs at package manager, for example when installing Firefox, in Debian-based distros, that's: # apt install firefox. Sa Arch-based distros naman, that's: # pacman -S firefox. Aside from that with regards to commands, they are basically the same.

Di nako nag palit ng ibang distros cause (sa pananaw ko lang) all I can see is the same Linux lang haha (correct me).

Well, not all GNU/Linux (as distributions) are the same kapatid. They may be using the same Linux Kernel but even the kernel itself is sometimes configured to suit their distribution principles and requirements. Some distros are strict on using only GPL'ed and Open Source software tulad ng Trisquel Linux, while other distros tulad ng Ubuntu uses some proprietary software out-of-the-box which also includes spyware. Some even uses different license (enterprise ones) other than the common copyleft GPL license.

nga po pala sir hehe pa recommend ako magandang OS aside sa windows if you don't mind, di ko dn kasi feel si kali as my main OS pero pwdy nadn.

Haha, me too. What I don't like about Kali is first, it runs as root by default which is quite a risk. Second, some applications that's not already in it, are rather complicated to install (and/or configure) due to limitations in its repository. So what I did was, I just collected all the names of the tools I used in Kali and installed it on a different Linux distribution. Worked best for me.

Now to your question ano ang "magandang OS aside sa windows". Para sakin, for as long as the OS respect your freedom, your online privacy okay yun saken. Definitely that's NOT M$ Windows nor Mac. Right now I only use FreeBSD, which not Linux, and I've been using it daily since 2008 for work: programming (web dev, game dev), 3D modeling, browsing, tweaking, chatting (IRC), audio/video editing, graphics design, etc. Sorry, I cannot suggest any specific distro for you my friend, di ko kasi alam preference mo. But for me as long it's NOT Windows nor Mac, and most importantly, as long as it gets the job done, go for it.

I used GNOME nga po pala sa kali to make it more user friendly medyo laggy nga lang.
When it comes naman sa desktop environment, choose one that's more lightweight tulad ng XFCE. GNOME and also KDE are way too bloated. In one of my computers here running Arch, I just have Openbox running as both desktop environment and window manager. It's very fast and very minimalistic. Goodluck to your quest to FREEDOM my friend. Cheers! :)

Up for this thread. Been using Linux distro (Peppermint OS) for around 3 years now on my potato PC (core 2 duo, 2gb ram) and all i can say is i'm happy with it. :thumbsup: It runs relatively fast compare to windows pc with 4gb ram set up. Since my potato PC is used mainly for watching movies, surfing the net and creating documents (open source office softwares are the best), hindi siya sakit sa ulo. What i also like is hindi na kelangan ng antivirus so the OS doesn't eat much of my resources. I am also considering to buy another laptop (i have one with windows OS installed) and install a Linux distro since iba talaga sa pakiramdam yung speed ng Linux compare sa Windows :rock:

Special mention to Puppy Linux nung ayaw magboot windows laptop ko :)

Last edited:
Special mention to Puppy Linux nung ayaw magboot windows laptop ko :)
Thanks mate! :salute: Puppy Linux is "the" BEST when it comes to old hardware. Kahit pang museum na hardware mo, install ka lang ng Puppy Linux, you're good to go ;)

nice sir, maraming salamat nadagdagan info ko about unix hehe. Will try freeBSD very soon, on the way na mobo ko, nasira kasi ung old mobo ko haha.
try ko lang if gusto din ako ni FreeBSD, dami kasi akong mge kelangan like adb mga ganun, drivers etc. Kaya we'll see nalang andyan naman si google ^^

How do I know if Linux is for me? I'll have to answer this with another question: What will I use it for?

USE CASE ang motivation ko sa paggamit ng Linux. For a desktop, sadly, Linux is the last thing on my mind. I just don't see a use for it in my setup, lalo na at naglalaro ako ng mga triple A games, such as Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Batman, Middle Earth, Grand Theft Auto, etc. I pre-order most of these games so that I can play on release day.

Here's my use cases:

Disk Backup (Clonezilla)
Ito lang ang pagkakataon na gumagamit ako ng Linux-based Desktop Environment. I use Parted Magic (Slackware) as a boot disk, tapos Clonezilla naman ang ginagamit ko to create an image out of my Windows 10 OS disk. Pagkatapos kong mag-backup, kampante na ako sa pag-apply ng Windows updates.

DIY NAS / Media Server (OMV)
When it comes to data-hoarding-level storage, I choose Linux or BSD. My total raw storage capacity is currently at 43TB. I'll add 16TB more this year. Sa Linux/BSD lang ako may tiwala para sa lumalaking data needs ko. I use Open Media Vault (Debian), along with mergerFS to pool my disks, and SnapRAID to provide parity for my data. May kasama pang Plex Media Server para makapanood ako sa TV, smart phone, o tablet. Easy to maintain, easy to migrate, and scalable. I'll probably never use Windows Storage Spaces or its traditional RAID equivalent again.

Proxy Server (Dante SOCKS)
Kailangan ko ng static IP to access other Linux servers via SSH, or bypass restricted websites. Dante is basically set-and-forget. I have it installed on a single core, 1GHz, 128MB, 10GB CentOS 7 VPS for 5 USD per year. Can I do it on Windows for the same price and specs?

VPN (Pritunl)
Need a VPN? Fire up a 5 USD per month Digital Ocean Droplet, install Linux, and issue a couple of commands to install Pritunl. You'll have a fully fledged OpenVPN server in a matter of minutes. Maraming ganitong klaseng turnkey solutions sa Linux.

Torrent Box / Seed Box / JDownloader
Sure, this can be done on Windows. But why would I pay for a license when there's a better way to do it on Linux for free? Install them in Docker, and you'll only have one folder to worry about.

As you may have noticed, all my use cases do not need a desktop environment. I set them up on Linux and access them on my Windows-based computer.

Look for your specific use case. Pag-aralan mo kung papaano mo mapagana sa Linux yun. That's how I learned that Linux is for me. I just need a terminal, and I'll make the system work for me.

nice sir, maraming salamat nadagdagan info ko about unix hehe. Will try freeBSD very soon... try ko lang if gusto din ako ni FreeBSD, dami kasi akong mge kelangan like adb mga ganun, drivers etc. Kaya we'll see nalang andyan naman si google ^^
Python ADB ba yan bossing or Android? Either way meron nyan si FreeBSD. For starters, kung interesado ka talaga try ang FreeBSD, the FreeBSD Handbook would be good for starters.

How do I know if Linux is for me? I'll have to answer this with another question: What will I use it for?
I'm actually thinking about writing a follow up thread focusing with this question: What will I use it for? Anyways thanks for the initiative mate!

USE CASE ang motivation ko sa paggamit ng Linux. For a desktop, sadly, Linux is the last thing on my mind. I just don't see a use for it in my setup, lalo na at naglalaro ako ng mga triple A games, such as Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Batman, Middle Earth, Grand Theft Auto, etc. I pre-order most of these games so that I can play on release day.
Hahah, well my friend, apparently you're more of a gamer than an Internet freedom advocate. I respect that. I do have an old desktop running a GTX 1060 OC. It has Windows 10, with nothing but an anti-virus, OpenVPN and a few games. I play games with it once in a while although booting it up and seeing that Windoze logo makes me cringe and it gets me every damn time.

Yeah, we're very far apart. It just so happened that Linux has everything I need, except for a desktop. I game a lot, and I have no interest in your advocacy. Good luck, though.

I'm just an end-user trying to improve my QOL at the least possible cost. If I were to have an Internet advocacy, that would be it.

Last edited:
I'm just an end-user trying to improve my QOL at the least possible cost. If I were to have an Internet advocacy, that would be it.
Fair enough :)

may masusuggest po ba kayo na distro para sa baguhan? totally wala po ako idea paano mag iisntall ng Linux eh

Any Debian-base Linux distro will do just fine. Especially kung galing ka sa Windoze.

Back
Top Bottom