Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

God's Message For You Today

Dear Symbianizers,

This Friday, work with Him at your side.

Praying for you,
Kerstinne25

27 April
Friday

JESUS A-COURTING

“..and (in a vision) he has seen a man named Ananias come in and lay (his) hands on him, that he may regain his sight.” – Acts 9:12

Our relationship with Jesus can be likened to a courtship between a man and a woman. The man tries to get the woman’s attention first. But when his efforts fail, he seeks the help of a go-between.
Jesus captured my attention when I went on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land many years ago. I was enamored by Him and marveled at His love for me through all the sites that we went to – especially in Bethlehem where He chose to be born out of His great love for me. It was such a strong love that I even wanted to be His bride – a nun. Alas, He didn’t really plan it to be that way.
My Ananias turned out to be an elderly nun – Sr. Mary James Wilson, RGS, who has remained my spiritual mother and friend to date. She helped me see my life with the eyes of faith. She helped me see God’s love for me by accepting me just as I am – no matter how wretched I felt back then.
Over the years, Jesus got my attention in different ways – at times dramatic, other times in gentle and quiet ways. But always – and I say always – He never fails to send me my Ananiases! TessVA.

REFLECTION:
Recall the first time Jesus got your attention. Likewise, recall who your Ananias was.

Lord, if at times I don’t seem to pay attention to You, nudge me strongly so I can see You.

UNDERSTANDING THE GIFT OF THE EUCHARIST

The more I reflect upon the gift and mystery of the Eucharist, the more convinced I become that we do not fully comprehend the magnitude and magnificence of the gift. As a means of remembrance and celebration of all God has done for us, it is without peer among all the religions of the world. Even the Jewish Passover Feast lacks the realism of the Eucharist. Yet we as Catholics often fail to recognize this.
I am not going to try and explain Eucharistic theology in 300 words or less; all I want to do is challenge us to reflect upon the passages in Scripture that can help us grow in our appreciation of what God has given us. Today’s Gospel speaks about the reality of the real presence and our call to receive it into our bodies by eating – by chewing on it. While we are literally called to chew, spiritually we are called to reflect often upon what God offers us in the Eucharist as a remembrance, celebration and reception of His gift of salvation. It is not enough to ‘attend Mass;’ we must participate in its celebration and actively seek and receive the graces God wants to pour into our lives. Mass should not be a passive experience but one where all our senses are at heightened alert in case God chooses to speak to us in whatever way or form He may choose!
The Eucharist is the remembrance of all God has done for us and is thus a call to rejoice and give thanks to God for His love and mercy in forgiving us our sins and calling us back into the ambit of His love and grace-filled existence. When we fail to stand in awe of God, bring Him down to our level and thus do not allow Him to be truly God of our lives.
Yes, God is our friend and brother but He is also God Almighty, Creator of the heavens and the earth! Fr. Steve T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: How can I celebrate the Eucharist with greater awareness of the mystery I am celebrating and calling into my life?

Lord Jesus, thank You for the gift of the Eucharist. I pray for the grace to remain in awe of this gift all the days of my life.

St. Asicus, abbot-bishop, pray for us.

Acts 9:1-20

I do not envy the task that God gave to Ananias in the conversion of Saul. He would have been well aware of Saul’s animosity towards Christians and thus I am sure very hesitant to go and find Saul, even if he happened to be blind. Yet, Ananias is obedient to God’s wish and seeks out Saul and lays hands on him. Thus marks one of the steps in one of the most extraordinary lives ever lived. It is good to note that Paul does not stand alone – he had many who helped him in his conversion and later in ministry; men such as Ananias, Barnabas, Mark, Luke, Gamaliel and so on.

1 Saul, still breathing murderous threats against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest 2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, that, if he should find any men or women who belonged to the Way, he might bring them back to Jerusalem in chains. 3 On his journey, as he was nearing Damascus, a light from the sky suddenly flashed around him. 4 He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” 5 He said, “Who are you, sir?” The reply came, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 6 Now get up and go into the city and you will be told what you must do.” 7 The men who were traveling with him stood speechless, for they heard the voice but could see no one. 8 Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing; so they led him by the hand and brought him to Damascus. 9 For three days he was unable to see, and he neither ate nor drank. 10 There was a disciple in Damascus named Ananias, and the Lord said to him in a vision, “Ananias.” He answered, “Here I am, LORD.” 11 The Lord said to him, “Get up and go to the street called Straight and ask at the house of Judas for a man from Tarsus named Saul. He is there praying, 12 and [in a vision] he has seen a man named Ananias come in and lay [his] hands on him, that he may regain his sight.” 13 But Ananias replied, “LORD, I have heard from many sources about this man, what evil things he has done to your holy ones in Jerusalem. 14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to imprison all who call upon your name.” 15 But the LORD said to him, “Go, for this man is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before Gentiles, kings, and Israelites, 16 and I will show him what he will have to suffer for my name.” 17 So Ananias went and entered the house; laying his hands on him, he said, “Saul, my brother, the Lord has sent me, Jesus who appeared to you on the way by which you came, that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 18 Immediately things like scales fell from his eyes and he regained his sight. He got up and was baptized, 19 and when he had eaten, he recovered his strength. He stayed some days with the disciples in Damascus, 20 and he began at once to proclaim Jesus in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God.

P S A L M

Psalm 117:1, 2

R: Go out to all the world and tell the Good News.

1 Praise the LORD, all you nations; glorify him, all you peoples! (R) 2 For steadfast is his kindness toward us, and the fidelity of the LORD endures forever. (R)

G O S P E L

John 6:52-59

The food that Jesus feeds us with is food that lasts unto eternal life. The Old Testament marks a covenant and relationship with God that is not the final reality. This comes with Jesus and His offer of salvation through faith in His work. The forgiveness of sins that Jesus offers us is such that it actually works and is not just some sort of a symbolic action. Jesus’ death and resurrection is the once-and-for-all-time act that reconciles us to God. Let us eat the food that He offers and so partake of this truly heavenly banquet!

52 The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us [his] flesh to eat?” 53 Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. 55 For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever.” 59 These things he said while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.

my reflections
think: Jesus’ death and resurrection is the once-and-for-all-time act that reconciles us to God.

God’s special verse/thought for me today________________

T O D A Y ’ S BLESSING LIST

Thank You Lord for: ____________________________________

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Nehemiah 1-4

MAY 24, 2007
THURSDAY

FALSELY ACCUSED

...he was being accused... – Acts 22:30

My dad was the manager, cashier and incharge of catering services of a popular restaurant during the 50s and 60s. Using his innate management and marketing skills, he was able to run the operations of the restaurant smoothly and bring in a lot of good business to the company. That may be the reason why the restaurant owner entrusted him with great responsibilities.
One day, my dad was called in to the owner’s office. The owner told him that he received a report that my dad was referring customers to another restaurant where my dad’s brother was working as a cook. My dad denied the allegations and declared that he was innocent. But the owner remained suspicious of him.
My dad resigned. He found another job in a cosmetics firm.
But after a few months, his previous employer asked him to come back and work for him again.
My dad learned that when he left, the restaurant had been mismanaged because no one was capable of handling his job. Besides, everyone found out who had spread the malicious report about my dad. God was good and just. My dad was proven innocent and
got his job back. Judith C.

REFLECTION
Do you take care not to falsely accuse others?

When I am unjustly rated, be my justice, Lord.

Acts 22:30; 23:6-11

Paul’s setting of the Sadducees against the Pharisees merely demonstrates to us, the readers, that the charges against him have no real basis. In fact, they are merely the result of jealous individuals who want to get rid of him. Paul knows that this ploy will only delay proceedings a short while; he is probably resigned to the fact that he will soon die.

30 Wishing to determine the truth about why Paul was being accused by the Jews, the Roman Commander freed him and ordered the chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin to convene. Then he brought Paul down and made him stand before them. 23: 6 Paul was aware that some were Sadducees and some Pharisees, so he called out before the Sanhedrin, “My brothers, I am a Pharisee, the son of Pharisees; am on trial for hope in the resurrection of the dead.” 7 When he said this, a dispute broke out between the Pharisees and Sadducees, and the group became divided. 8 For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection or angels or spirits, while the Pharisees acknowledge all three. 9 A great uproar occurred, and some scribes belonging to the Pharisee party stood up and sharply argued, “We find nothing wrong with this man. Suppose a spirit or an angel has spoken to him?” 10 The dispute was so serious that the commander, afraid that Paul would be torn to pieces by them, ordered his troops to go down and rescue him from their midst and take him into the compound. 11 The following night the LORD stood by him and said, “Take courage. For just as you have borne witness to my cause in Jerusalem, so you must also bear witness in Rome.”

P S A L M

Psalm 16:1-2, 5, 7-8, 9-10, 11

R: Keep me safe, O God; you are my hope.

1 Keep me, O God, for in you I take refuge; 2 I say to the LORD, “My LORD are you.” 5 O LORD, my allotted portion and my cup, you it is who hold fast my lot. (R) 7 I bless the LORD who counsels me; even in the night my heart exhorts me. 8 I set the LORD ever before me; with him at my right hand I shall not be disturbed. (R) 9 Therefore my heart is glad and my soul rejoices, my body, too, abides in confidence; 10 because you will not abandon my soul to the nether world, nor will you suffer your faithful one to undergo corruption. (R) 11 You will show me the path to life, fullness of joys in your presence, the delights at your right hand forever. (R)

G O S P E L

John 17:20-26

It is our hope of sharing in the Glory of God that is one of the inspirations that impels us to keep on going in the Lord’s service. Let us never forget this and thus meditate upon His Glory often so that we will continually be strengthened by this hope. Jesus places a lot of store in the hope that He has instilled within us because He knows that there are always ‘troubled times ahead’– times when we will be tempted to give up and go another path.

20 “I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me. 22 And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me. 24 Father, they are your gifts to me. I wish that where I am they also may be with me, that they may see my glory that you gave me, because you loved me before the foundation of the world. 25 Righteous Father, the world also does not know you, but I know you, and they know that you sent me. 26 I made known to them your name and I will make it known, that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in them.”

my reflections
think: It is our hope of sharing in the Glory of God that impels us to keep on going in the Lord’s service.

God’s special verse/thought for me today_______________________

Thank You Lord for: ______________________________________

CHRIST’S PLEA FOR UNITY

We continue to listen to Christ’s prayer. And He opens here His heart with a fervent prayer for unity. Jesus knows only too well that the most destructive activity of the Evil One is creating disunity. A look into world history reveals that there was never a time without a war going on in several parts of the world. These were most of the time political wars. Then came the time of religious disunity. Jews were split into factions and sects. Next, Jews persecuted Christians, and then Christians persecuted the Jews. But why focus on other religions? Christianity splits again and again. Sects broke from the Church, the Eastern Church and the Western Church was and still remains divided. Catholics and Protestants have fought each other in the name of Jesus Christ. Even in our parish organizations we find too often disunity. How many sins against unity are committed within Parish Councils! Charismatic communities split into two or even three! And Jesus, in His last moments with His disciples prayed so hard: “May they all be one, Father, as we are one!” A genuine follower of Christ, therefore, can never accept or get used to it. Pope John Paul II wrote in 1995 a beautiful Encyclical about Christian unity. He reached out to other Christian churches and non- Christian religions. What can I do for unity? As Jesus had prayed for unity, we follow His example and continue His prayer. But this is not enough. It is our task as Christ’s disciples to avoid anything that might create disunity, be it in our families, in a Christian community, or at our work place. Instead of contributing to disunity by gossip and negative talk about others (as it happens sometimes even after Mass on the steps of the Church), we try to find something good in each other and build up each other with charity and respect. We try to become peacemakers where we sense disunity or even find it evident. St. Cyprian wrote in a commentary on the Lord’s Prayer, “God does not accept the sacrifice of a sower of disunion, but commands that he depart from the altar so that he may first be reconciled with his brother. For God can be appeased only by prayers that make peace. To God, the better offering is peace, brotherly concord and a people made one in the unity of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.”Fr. Rudy H.

REFLECTION QUESTION: Am I in my environment a cause of unity or disunity? What do I do and what can I do for unity among people?

Lord, Your prayer has touched me and made me realize that I have not worked for unity the way You expect it. With the help of the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of unity, I try again so that Your prayer will eventually find fulfillment.

St. Afra, martyr, pray for us.

Dear Symbianizers,
Don't be discouraged ? God will be with you through this week.

Praying for you,
kerstinne25

28 May
Monday TODAY'S READINGS:

BELIEVE

“All things are possible with God.� – Mark 10:27

One of the most challenging terms in my college years was when I had to take our thesis proposal subject for the second time. My groupmates and I had failed it the past term — miserably at that.
I was filled with insecurities, guilt and fear. Insecure because I felt like I wasn’t good enough to do what we were doing, guilt because I felt like I was the one who slowed down our group, and fear that we would not make it again.
The week before our defense, I went to Mass regularly because that was the only time I felt solitude. Every day during that week, the priest’s homily was always about having faith, on believing in God’s powers that nothing is impossible for Him. My friends in the community also said the same thing: That I should believe that He will bring us through
the defense.
Even if it was really hard for me, I asked God to strengthen my faith... and what do you know? We did not only pass our defense, but we got the highest possible score! Truly, nothing is impossible with God! Tina M.

REFLECTION
What impossible thing do you require God to make possible?

When I believe in Your power and not my own, things happen. Thank You, Lord.

THE TRAP OF THE SIN OF OMISSION

Blessed Robert Johnson, martyr, pray for us.

Chapter 10 of Mark points out who the real disciples of Jesus are. There is first the rich man approaching Jesus full of enthusiasm and eagerness. He seems to be the best candidate. He is serious, he wants to be saved, he can say what many of us cannot say, that he has kept most of the Ten Commandments. Maybe he was too eager, too emotional. That is why Jesus had to pull him down first from the clouds. We cannot become good followers of Christ by being guided by emotions only. They easily evaporate. Jesus remains calm and tells him: Please, no flattery, calm down, think clearly! Then He points him to the Commandments. Jesus quotes mostly negative Commandments. In other words the man has done nothing wrong to others. But what good has he done? With whom did he share his riches? How many poor people has he helped? In the Gospel of the Hebrews (which is not in the Bible but is considered by scholars to contain many authentic sayings of Jesus) the story of the encounter is more vivid. Here is a quotation from that gospel: “But the rich man began to scratch his head, and it pleased him not. And the Lord said to him, ‘How can you say, I have kept the law and the prophets? For it is written in the law: You shall love your neighbor as yourself; and see, many of your brethren, sons of Abraham, are clad in filth, dying of hunger, and your house is full of many good things, and nothing at all goes out of it to them.’�
We discover here the danger of the sin of omission! When we don’t steal or commit adultery, we think we are good. Not harming anybody and not committing these sins is only a first step on the way to perfection. Not doing bad things is good, but not doing good things is worse in the eyes of God. Why did Jesus look at him with love? I think Jesus looked at him with love because next he demands from him the greatest sacrifice and the man needs all the love of God to say Yes to it. But the rich man was not able to escape from the trap – like so many of us. Here is a suggestion for your next Confession: try to confess all the omissions you can detect in your life. It will not be easy and will take a little more time for the examination of conscience. But in doing so you will discover that there might be more sins of omission in your life than actual wrongdoings. Fr. Rudy H.

REFLECTION QUESTION: Have you ever confessed your sins of omission?

Oh, my God, how often have I fallen into this trap! I thought I am fine in your sight but was not aware of failing in what I should do. Thank you for this eye-opener.

1st READING

Sirach 17:19-27

The Book of Ecclesiasticus was probably written when the Greek Empire was in the ascendancy. The author seems to be trying to demonstrate that the Jewish people have a history of wisdom like the Greeks. As such, the book is part history and part of the wisdom literature genre. As we read snippets from it over the next couple of weeks, let us remember these origins as it will help us understand the intention of the author in what we read.

19 To the penitent he provides a way back, he encourages those who are losing hope! 20 Return to the LORD and give up sin, pray to him and make your offenses few. 21 Turn again to the Most High and away from sin, hate intensely what he loathes; 22 who in the nether world can glorify the Most High in place of the living who offer their praise? 23 No more can the dead give praise than those who have never lived; they glorify the LORD who are alive and well. 24 How great is the mercy of the LORD, his forgiveness of those who return to him! 25 The like cannot be found in men, for not immortal is any son of man. 26 Is anything brighter than the sun? Yet it can be eclipsed. How obscure then the thoughts of flesh and blood! 27 God watches over the hosts of highest heaven, while all men are dust and ashes.

P S A L M

Psalm 32:1-2, 5, 6, 7

R: Let the just exult and rejoice in the Lord.

1 Blessed is he whose fault is taken away, whose sin is covered. 2 Blessed the man to whom the LORD imputes not guilt, in whose spirit there is no guile. (R) 5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you, my guilt I covered not. I said, “I confess my faults to the LORD,� and you took away the guilt of my sin. (R) 6 For this shall every faithful man pray to you in time of stress. Though deep waters overflow, they shall not reach him. (R) 7 You are my shelter; from distress you will preserve me; with glad cries of freedom you will ring me round. (R)

G O S P E L

Mark 10:17-27

This dialogue between Jesus and the rich young man is a classic as regards the nature of conversion. It is also highly relevant to society today where we are often rich in other interests that the Gospel call often seems to be in second or third place in our priorities. Do we think that this is suitable within the context of our faith? I think not, as God should have the highest priority. This is the constant challenge we face, namely to ensure that God is put first in our lives.

17 As Jesus was setting out on a journey, a man ran up, knelt down before him, and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?� 18 Jesus answered him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘You shall not kill; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness; you shall not defraud; honor your father and your mother.’� 20 The man replied and said to him, “Teacher, all of these I have observed from my youth.� 21 Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said to him, “You are lacking in one thing. Go, sell what you have, and give to [the] poor and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.� 22 At that statement his face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions. 23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!� 24 The disciples were amazed at his words. So Jesus again said to them in reply, “Children, how hard it is to enter the Kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the Kingdom of God.� 26 They were exceedingly astonished and said among themselves, “Then who can be saved?� 27 Jesus looked at them and said, “For human beings it is impossible, but not for God. All things are possible for God.�

my reflections
think: God should have the highest priority.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Psalm 45-51

Dear Symbianizers,

This Tuesday, never forget how important you are to God.

Praying for you,
kerstinne25

29 May
Tuesday

TODAY'S READINGS:

TO BRIBE OR NOT TO BRIBE?

“But offer no bribes...� – Sirach 35:11

“Can I see your driver’s license, please?� asked the traffic policeman as I rolled down my car window. “What was my violation, sir?� I inquired. “Ma’am, no left turn po dito.�
Honestly, I didn’t notice that there was a no left turn sign. Besides, I used to pass by there before although it had been months since I last passed that road, so the policeman could be right after all.
I tried to reason out with the traffic enforcer but he kept on asking for my license. I had no choice but to give it to him. I pleaded that he let me go. He went again to the back of my car. I looked at my side mirror to check what he was doing. He was holding the booklet but the pen wasn’t touching the paper. He only appeared to be writing something.
He eventually let me go without giving me a ticket. And I thank him profusely and uttered a blessing for him, I thank God too that I didn’t give in to the temptation to bribe him. Judith C.

REFLECTION
Trust in the Lord to get you out of situations that are not of your own doing.

You find the right way of doing things always, Lord. May I learn to trust more readily.

DARE WITH GOD!

Ah, this Peter! He is so much like us! One moment enthusiastic, the next moment asking dumb questions! Unlike the rich man, Peter could proudly say, “Unlike that guy, we have left everything and followed you.� And surely in his mind lingered the unspoken question, “What do we get from it?� Kindly, Jesus seems to ignore this rude approach. He answers him and us in a very honest way. Nobody who gives up everything for the Lord will leave empty-handed.
I have experienced this many times. 38 years ago, I left my home country, parents, relatives, brother, and friends. It was a risk. What would happen to me? But looking back now I can say that I was never alone. First, Japan became a country so dear to me that it pained me when I had to leave. Now I am 23 years in the Philippines and I “fought� to get a permanent visa because it has become a place where I feel more at home than in Germany. In parishes where I worked, I found kind people who took so much care of me that I came to think of them as my parents. I have found many friends and real brothers who took the place of the one I left behind. Believe it or not, I never felt homesick! At this point I have also to remember my mother.
She had given me up when I entered the Seminary and then left Germany. My only brother left her also when he became a married deacon assigned in a different diocese. She spent her last years in a home for the aged. And “accidentally� an old priest who lived also in this home visited her moments before she passed away so that she, who had given her two sons to the Church, died in the presence of and with the blessings of a priest.
On December 8, 2005, Pope Benedict XVI exclaimed at the end of his homily: “Have the courage to dare with God! Try it! Do not be afraid of him! Have the courage to risk with faith!
The words of the Pope echo the words of Jesus to his disciples when he challenged them to leave everything. His reward comes in unexpected ways – but also sufferings. But that’s the topic for tomorrow’s reflection. Fr. Rudy H.

REFLECTION QUESTION: When I feel that God asks me to give something or somebody up, am I ready to say Yes, like Mary did when she had to give up her plans of starting a big family?

Lord, often I feel that You demand too much. But I have not enough thought of Your promise. I know You are generous, but my trust in Your generosity is still weak. Give me the courage, Lord, to let myself fall into an abyss knowing that Your hands are there to catch me.

St. William Arnaud, martyr, pray for us.

1st READING

Sirach 35:1-12

The Law and its understanding is the heart of the wisdom of the Jewish People. It is in their understanding and observance of the Law that we discover a lot about how they think and why they act in the ways that they do. The Law is also a means by which God reveals His nature to them and thus is still important to us today if we want to discover who God really is. Let us use all the means we have at our disposal in order to improve our relationship with God.

1 To keep the Law is a great oblation, and he who observes the commandments sacrifices a peace offering. 2 In works of charity one offers fine flour, and when he gives alms he presents his sacrifice of praise. 3 To refrain from evil pleases the LORD, and to avoid injustice is an atonement. 4 Appear not before the LORD empty-handed, for all that you offer is in fulfillment of the precepts. 5 The just man’s offering enriches the altar and rises as a sweet odor before the Most High. 6 The just man’s sacrifice is most pleasing, nor will it ever be forgotten. 7 In generous spirit pay homage to the LORD, be not sparing of freewill gifts. 8 With each contribution show a cheerful countenance, and pay your tithes in a spirit of joy. 9 Give to the Most High as he has given to you, generously, according to your means. 10 For the LORD is one who always repays, and he will give back to you sevenfold. 11 But offer no bribes, these he does not accept! Trust not in sacrifice of the fruits of extortion, 12 for he is a God of justice, who knows no favorites.

P S A L M

Psalm 50:5-6, 7-8, 14, 23

R: To the upright I will show the saving power of God.

5 “Gather my faithful ones before me, those who have made a covenant with me by sacrifice.� 6 And for the heavens proclaim his justice; for God himself is the judge. (R) 7 “Hear, my people, and I will speak; Israel, I will testify against you; God, your God, am I. 8 Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you, for your burnt offering are before me always. (R) 14 “Offer to God praise as your sacrifice and fulfill your vows to the Most High. 23 He that offers praise as a sacrifice glorifies me; and to him that goes the right way I will show the salvation of God.� (R)

G O S P E L

Mark 10:28-31

I think each of us has a certain mercenary element in the way that we understand service and commitment to others. True love does not. However, I do not think that any of us has yet reached perfection and hence the expression of true love in our lives. Jesus’ life and ministry is a life and ministry for others. It does not add anything to Himself at all. This is the example we should seek to imitate. Let us pray for the grace to love and serve others in a selfless manner.

28 Peter began to say to him, “We have given up everything and followed you.� 29 Jesus said, “Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and for the sake of the Gospel 30 who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age: houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and eternal life in the age to come. 31 But many that are first will be last, and the last will be first.�

my reflections
think: Let us pray for the grace to love and serve others in a selfless manner.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Psalm 52-58

JUNE 12, 2007
TUESDAY

“LET’S DOH IT!”

“...if salt loses its taste...” – Matthew 5:13

I remember Dr. Juan Flavier saying, “Let’s DOH it” in that popular TV ad when he was still the secretary at the Department of Health.
That particular ad has stuck in my mind until now. Not only was it made funny by Dr. Flavier, its catch phrase was... well... catchy!
It always made me think of the proverbial saying, “Practice what you preach.” Indeed, we should do what we say in order for people to believe in us. In short, if you’ve promised it, then do it. Not practicing what you preach would be like picking up a packet of salt from the grocery shelf, only to find that when you use it in your food, it had been mislabeled — it’s not salt at all but sugar!
Give honor to your words. We should set good examples for others as the “salt and light” for all the mankind. Henry Y.

REFLECTION:
How many times have I broken my promise by failing to do what I said?

Lord, help me remember to do the things that I’m supposed to do according to Your will.

INTRODUCING JESUS

One day a catechist started teaching his students. His lesson plan said that he was to teach them about Jesus that day. He began by saying, “Today, I want you to meet Someone you all should get to know. He loves you more than you know. He is always smiling at you and wants only the best for you. He is kind, generous, and forgiving. He is very thoughtful and is always concerned about how He can be of any help to you.”
As the catechist continued his introduction of the day’s lesson, a little boy could hardly contain himself in his seat. Just before the catechist mentioned the name of Jesus, the little boy excitedly raised his hand and shouted, “I know who he is! He lives next to our house across the river. He is our neighbor, Mr. de la Cruz!”
O, how I envy Mr. de la Cruz! But envy him, I should not. I should rather emulate him. He indeed served as light that shone across that river. He was what it means to be the kind of Christian Jesus wants us all to be.
When we introduce Jesus to those who do not know Him yet, we cannot convince them that we know Him unless they see Him in us. This is perhaps what Mohandas K. Gandhi meant when he gave this comment: “I believe in Christ but not in you, Christians.
If you were like Him, I would have been a Christian myself.” Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: Have I led anyone closer to or away from Christ?

Jesus, Light of the world, enlighten my life. Where there is darkness, let me bring Your light by allowing You to shine through me. Let all the light be Yours, not mine. And like salt, help me preserve the world from the corruption of sin. May my authentic Christian witnessing give flavor in the life of everyone I meet. Amen.

St. John of Sahagun, confessor, pray for us.

2 Corinthians 1:18-22

Our witness as disciples of Jesus must be unequivocal; we cannot afford to send mixed messages to a world that is already very ambivalent towards faith in Christ! Paul makes it clear to the Corinthian community that this is what he expects of them – if they do not want to live the life of a Christian then, do not start to walk down that path. To be Christian means to follow Christ, no matter where He may lead us.

18 As God is faithful, our word to you is not “yes” and “no.” 19 For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was proclaimed to you by us, Silvanus and Timothy and me, was not “yes” and “no,” but “yes” has been in him. 20 For however many are the promises of God, their Yes is in him; therefore, the Amen from us also goes through him to God for glory. 21 But the one who gives us security with you in Christ and who anointed us is God; 22 he has also put his seal upon us and given the Spirit in our hearts as a first installment.

P S A L M

Psalm 119:129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 135

R: Lord, let your face shine on me.

129 Wonderful are your decrees; therefore I observe them. (R) 130 The revelation of your words sheds light, gives understanding to the simple. (R) 131 I gasp with open mouth in my yearning for your commands. (R) 132 Turn to me in pity as you turn to those who love your name. (R) 133 Steady my footsteps according to your promise, and let no iniquity rule over me. (R) 135 Let your countenance shine upon your servant, and teach me your statutes. (R)

G O S P E L

Matthew 5:13-16

Our faith is that aspect of our lives that gives Christians a different focus from the rest of the world. Christ as historical figure is unique and so we His followers ought to be living lives that are equally unique when it comes to a comparison with the rest of the great religious faiths. Yes, there are some that are closer to our beliefs than others; however, the uniqueness of our faith comes from our desire to imitate Christ in our lives to the best of our ability.

13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if salt loses its taste, with what can it be seasoned? It is no longer good for anything but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. 14 You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house. 16 Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father.”

my reflections
think: T be a Christian means to follow Christ, no matter where He may lead us.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Proverbs 1-4

JUNE 13, 2007
WEDNESDAY

LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION

“You are our letter, written in our hearts…written not in ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets that are hearts of flesh.” – 2 Corinthians 3:2-3

When applying for a new job, some companies require applicants to secure character references from previous employers, former teachers or other persons in authority.
This way, prospective employers will be given an insight into the applicant’s integrity, work ethics and overall performance.
So I began to wonder: What if God requires us to present to St. Peter a recommendation letter that will be the basis of whether or not we can enter the pearly gates of heaven? If so, who then would write a recommendation letter for me? In today’s first reading, Paul claims that the Corinthians whom they’ve been evangelizing are his “recommendation letter.” Like him, the divine recommendation we seek comes from the countless people whom Jesus has given us to love and serve. These people whom we may have helped, inspired or touched in big or small ways will testify on our behalf by the very lives they also live for the Lord.
There is, more importantly, Jesus who lovingly placed upon us His seal of approval. Striving to grow in His image and likeness is our best character reference of all. Dina P.

REFLECTION:
Do we strive to secure the best character reference by striving to become more like Jesus?

Lord, mold and recreate me that I may grow more in the likeness of Your Son.

HELP OTHERS OBEY GOD

Today, let us be sorry for leading others away from God. Let us ask for forgiveness for causing others to sin. Let us repair the harm we have done them by leading them back to God and helping them obey His commandments.
Just as we lead others away from God by our words and actions, so too we must lead them back to God by our words and actions. We must be models for them to follow. Let us be examples of genuine Christian living. We lead others back to God by leading the way to Him. We lead the way to God by obeying what God commands us to do. Our prayers will bring others closer to God but our lives can also bring others far from Him if our prayers do not mold us unto the likeness of His obedient Son, Jesus. It is never enough to pray and live our lives in any way, we must pray and live our lives in the way of Christ Jesus.
We must always be conscious that we do not lead others to sin. We should always be vigilant never to give anyone a reason to disobey God’s commandments.
May we be like St. Anthony of Padua, whose blessed memory we celebrate today. He was only 36 years old when he passed away in 1231. Despite dying at a rather young age, he accomplished much as a Franciscan friar in leading many souls to God. He was an eloquent preacher. However, his eloquence was not merely in the use of words as he preached about God but equally also in his deeds as he showed love for the poor and for sinners. He is invoked today for lost things and even lost persons. No wonder — he labored so much so that no one may be lost from obeying God. Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: Have I been the cause for others to sin?

Forgive me, Father, for causing others to sin, for leading others away from You, for giving others reasons to doubt You, to disobey You, and to disown You. Help me repair whatever harm I caused the eternal salvation of others for which Your Son, Jesus, shed His blood and gave His life from the cross. Have mercy on me, a sinner. Amen.

St. Anthony of Padua and Lisbon, confessor, pray for us.

1st READING

2 Corinthians 3:4-11

St. Anthony of Padua was one of the great minds of the Early Franciscans. As Doctor of the Church, his writings demonstrate supreme orthodoxy and a degree of originality in what they contribute to the teaching patrimony of the Church. In our own way, let us seek to plumb the depths of God’s love for us and allow His Spirit to lead us to a more profound and life-changing experience of God’s Word. Let us allow the glory of God to shine through our lives.

4 Such confidence we have through Christ toward God. 5 Not that of ourselves we are qualified to take credit for anything as coming from us; rather, our qualification comes from God, 6 who has indeed qualified us as ministers of a new covenant, not of letter but of spirit; for the letter brings death, but the Spirit gives life. 7 Now if the ministry of death, carved in letters on stone, was so glorious that the Israelites could not look intently at the face of Moses because of its glory that was going to fade, 8 how much more will the ministry of the Spirit be glorious? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation was glorious, the ministry of righteousness will abound much more in glory. 10 Indeed, what was endowed with glory has come to have no glory in this respect because of the glory that surpasses it. 11 For if what was going to fade was glorious, how much more will what endures be glorious?

P S A L M

Psalm 99:5, 6, 7, 8, 9

R: Holy is the Lord our God.

5 Extol the LORD, our God, and worship at his footstool; holy is he! (R) 6 Moses and Aaron were among his priests, and Samuel, among those who called upon his name; they called upon the LORD, and he answered them. (R) 7 From the pillar of cloud he spoke to them; they heard his decrees and the law he gave them. (R) 8 O LORD, our God, you answered them; a forgiving God you were to them, though requiting their misdeeds. (R) 9 Extol the LORD, our God, and worship at his holy mountain; for holy is the LORD, our God. (R)

G O S P E L

Matthew 5:17-19

Jesus is not an anarchist. He is a man of order and obedience. His attitude to the Law is probably best summed up in that He sees it as the beginning of a revelation of the mind of God for His people, but by no means the final word. As it turns out, Jesus Himself is the final word on the mind of God concerning His people. He is the fulfillment of the Law and all of the promises of the Old Testament. It is to Jesus we must turn for enlightenment about our human condition as it is in Him that “man is fully revealed to himself (Lumen Gentium).”

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. 18 Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the Law, until all things have taken place. 19 Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do so will be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But whoever obeys and teaches these commandments will be called greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.”

my reflections
think: Jesus is not an anarchist.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Proverbs 5-8

JUNE 14, 2007
THURSDAY

REAL LEADERS

… but whenever a person turns to the Lord, the veil is removed. – 2 Corinthians 3:16

Who are those in your prayer group deemed “mature” enough to be future leaders?
Those you always see at the meetings?
Those who report having regular Scripture and prayer times?
Those who give tithes every month?
Those who volunteer for regular service?
Let me tell you about this great girl I know named Lia. She was never chosen to be a leader by her group. You see, her ailing mother prevented her from attending meetings and volunteering for service. She prayed every day and read the Bible too, though sometimes only for two to five minutes, when she had time to squeeze it in. As the sole breadwinner, she tried to tithe regularly but often found she had too little for her family’s needs. I believe she was picked a leader in the eyes of the Lord. She was a leading example of a Christian who persevered in spite of what life dealt her. She didn’t have the visible marks of a life of piety nor did she meet the “standards” set by the group she belonged to. But she met the Lord’s standards without difficulty.
If we strive to become scribes… working to keep the letter of the Law… we will please the Lord a lot. But if we strive to be more like Lia, then the Lord has lifted the veil and made us reach for something beyond the visible. Victoria L.

REFLECTION:
Are you ready to see beyond the visible?

Help me see that what You desire isn’t always what people dictate it to be. Lead me in the Law of Love.

OUR OFFERING CAN WAIT

“Therefore, if you bring your gift to the altar, and there recall that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift there at the altar, go first and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift,” said Jesus.
There is something strange about His words.
Do you notice that while the subject is “you,” the point of reference is “your brother”? Jesus did not say, “Therefore, if you bring your gift to the altar, and there recall that YOU have anything against your brother...” We overlook this nuance quite often.
The Lord’s declaration immediately confronts us with a question: “Does my brother have anything against me?” The same declaration does not at all beg this question: “Do I have anything against my brother?” That my brother has anything against me is actually enough to make me unworthy to offer my gift to God.
How often we remember the hurts others inflict on us, but we tend to easily forget the hurts we cause them. We recall how others sin against us, but we take our sins against others quite lightly. Very often, we are quick in pointing an accusing finger on others but slow in striking our breast in admission of our guilt. Moreover, we regard the hurt we cause others as faults, weaknesses, or defects on our part, but we hold the hurt others inflict on us as sins, transgressions, or malice. We gloss over the truth and effects of our sins against others while we tend to magnify the faults others commit against us.
Jesus said in the Gospel today that unless our virtues do not go deeper than that of the scribes and the Pharisees we would never enter heaven, because the scribes and the Pharisees were guilty of hypocrisy. They considered themselves significant on account of their gifts on the altar but brushed aside their sins against others as insignificant. They had gifts to offer to God but no hearts to seek forgiveness from those they hurt. Because they did not give any serious thought about the hurt they inflicted on others, it was easy for the scribes and Pharisees to fall prey to hypocrisy. Hypocrites may be offering sizable amount of gifts to God but their gifts are never pleasing to Him.
Our offering can wait. Our hurting brethren cannot. God waits for us to remember.
Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: Is there anyone who has anything valid against me?

Open my eyes, O Lord, that I may see my brethren hurting because of me. Open my heart, O Lord, that I may reach out to them and seek reconciliation with them. Then open my hands, O Lord, that I may offer my gift to You. Amen.

St. Methodius I Patriarch of Constantinople, pray for us.

1st READING

2 Corinthians 3:15—4:1, 3-6

The revelations of the Old Testament, no matter how glorious they may seem, are always lacking the fullness of the truth of who God is for us; it remains veiled, as if still covered by a shroud, until the person of Jesus takes away the veil and the glory of God is allowed to shine through in all of its brilliance. And yet we are still unable to conceive and perceive it all. The shadow of sin is constantly seeking to blind us to a lesser or greater degree as we seek to be His disciples. Let us first repent in order to be able to see more clearly as we try to respond to His grace in our lives.

15 To this day, in fact, whenever Moses is read, a veil lies over their hearts, 16 but whenever a person turns to the LORD the veil is removed. 17 Now the LORD is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the LORD is, there is freedom. 18 All of us, gazing with unveiled face on the glory of the LORD, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, as from the LORD who is the Spirit. 4: 1 Therefore, since we have this ministry through the mercy shown us, we are not discouraged. 3 And even though our Gospel is veiled, it is veiled for those who are perishing, 4 in whose case the god of this age has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that they may not see the light of the Gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 5 For we do not preach ourselves but Jesus Christ as LORD, and ourselves as your slaves for the sake of Jesus. 6 For God who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to bring to light the knowledge of the glory of God on the face of Jesus Christ.

P S A L M

Psalm 85:9, 10, 11-12, 13-14

R: The glory of the Lord will dwell in our land.

8 [9] I will hear what God proclaims; the LORD-for he proclaims peace to his people. 9 [10] Near indeed is his salvation to those who fear him, glory dwelling in our land. (R) 10 [11] Kindness and truth shall meet; justice and peace shall kiss. 11 [12] Truth shall spring out of the earth, and justice shall look down from heaven. (R) 12 [13] The LORD himself will give his benefits; our land shall yield its increase. 13 [14] Justice shall walk before him, and salvation, along the way of his steps. (R)

G O S P E L

Matthew 5:20-26

The context of Jesus’ challenge to allow our virtue to grow deeper is that of the Last Judgment. We will all be called to give an account of our lives. There is nothing that we have done in the dark that will not be brought out into the light. It is clear that we must take seriously the call to holiness and see that we are responding to it daily. This is what living a life of virtue requires.

20 “I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. 21 “You have heard that it was said to your ancestors, ‘You shall not kill; and whoever kills will be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you, whoever is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment, and whoever says to his brother, ‘Raqa,’ will be answerable to the Sanhedrin, and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ will be liable to fiery Gehenna. 23 Therefore, if you bring your gift to the altar, and there recall that your brother has anything against you, 24 leave your gift there at the altar, go first and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Settle with your opponent quickly while on the way to court with him. Otherwise your opponent will hand you over to the judge, and the judge will hand you over to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison. 26 Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.”

my reflections
think: We will all be called to give an account of our lives.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Proverbs 9-12

JUNE 15, 2007
FRIDAY

Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

HOPE DOES NOT DISAPPOINT

This hope does not disappoint us... – Romans 5:5

I was chatting online with a friend when I first read the Bible verse: “Hope does not disappoint.” It struck me as beautiful and I shared it with my friend.
“But it does! Hope disappoints! It causes you to have expectations and you get shot down,” she explained. And I realized we were talking about two different things. She was talking about hope in the things of this world; the line was referring to hope borne out of our experience of God.
I am no stranger to losing hope. For most of my life, I believed that the only way to survive was to avoid situations where I could get hurt. I put up near-insurmountable walls around me so I wouldn’t get too attached to anyone or anything. What I didn’t realize earlier on was that letdowns are part of life and should be accepted with an open heart. This conviction came during a particularly low day, when I was surprised by a sudden realization: No matter what happens to me, God will never allow me to be unhappy for too long. It is almost impossible to feel bad after a thought like that.
Hope – in a faithful God – does not disappoint. Anna dG.

REFLECTION
Is your faith still lacking?

Strengthen my hope; strengthen my faith.

1st READING

Ezekiel 34:11-16

When we speak of a person’s heart, we are primarily referring to their love for another or others. This is true with today’s Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. In fact, there is probably the least amount of doubt possible, that is, complete certainty, when we speak of God’s love for us. Jesus gave His Life on the cross for us; what more could we ask of Him in order to know His love? This is the love of a shepherd for his sheep that Ezekiel speaks of in the First Reading. Let us take time today to reflect upon this image and ask God to reveal His love for us through it.

11 For thus says the LORD GOD: “I myself will look after and tend my sheep.” 12 As a shepherd tends his flock when he finds himself among his scattered sheep, so will I tend my sheep. I will rescue them from every place where they were scattered when it was cloudy and dark. 13 I will lead them out from among the peoples and gather them from the foreign lands; I will bring them back to their own country and pasture them upon the mountains of Israel [in the land’s ravines and all its inhabited places]. 4 In good pastures will I pasture them, and on the mountain heights of Israel shall be their grazing ground. There they shall lie down on good grazing ground, and in rich pastures shall they be pastured on the mountains of Israel. 15 I myself will pasture my sheep; I myself will give them rest, says the LORD GOD. 16 The lost I will seek out, the strayed I will bring back, the injured I will bind up, the sick I will heal but the sleek and the strong I will destroy, shepherding them rightly.

P S A L M

Psalm 23:1-3, 3-4, 5, 6

R: The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 In verdant pastures he gives me repose; beside restful waters he leads me; 3 he refreshes my soul. (R) He guides me in right paths for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage. (R) 5 You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. (R) 6 Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come. (R)

2nd READING

Romans 5:5-11

Paul knows the power of Jesus’ love for him because he has experienced it in his conversion to Christianity from Judaism; he has also experienced it in the forgiveness of his sins and in the gifts that God has given him to contribute towards the work of the Kingdom of God. The same should be true for each of us – maybe in different degrees –but nevertheless the same dynamic is at work in us all. The biggest difference results from the degree to which we surrender to or allow the grace of God to do its work in our lives. Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

5 The love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us. 6 For Christ, while we were still helpless, yet died at the appointed time for the ungodly. 7 Indeed, only with difficulty does one die for a just person, though perhaps for a good person one might even find courage to die. 8 But God proves his love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us. 9 How much more then, since we are now justified by his blood, will we be saved through him from the wrath. 10 Indeed, if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, how much more, once reconciled, will we be saved by his life. 11 Not only that, but we also boast of God through our LORD Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

G O S P E L

Luke 15:3-7

This is probably one of the simplest and most commonly known of the parables of Jesus. Let me just say that this does not mean that it holds any less meaning or significance for our lives. In fact, working on the biblical principle that simplest is best, it could be considered more important than the other parables because it gives more people access to the truth of God’s love for them. Let us never underestimate the power and simplicity of the message of the Gospel. Perhaps this is why it seems just as powerful today as it was 2000 years ago!

3 So to them Jesus addressed this parable. 4“What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them would not leave the ninetynine in the desert and go after the lost one until he finds it? 5 And when he does find it, he sets it on his shoulders with great joy 6 and, upon his arrival home, he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.’ 7 I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance.”

my reflections
think: Let us never underestimate the power and simplicity of the message of the Gospel.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Proverbs 13-16

GETTING TO KNOW THE SAINTS

Saint Norbert

Norbert of the late 11th century was born at Xanten in Germany. He was an ambitious man. He held various positions in the court of Emperor Henry V and thought only about his prestige. An incident made Norbert change his heart. While riding a horse, a flash of lightning scared the animal away. He fell on the ground and was left unconscious. When he awoke, the saint reflected on his life. Norbert entered the priesthood in 1115.
The priest worked hard to make people turn away from their evil ways. He set an example by selling all his properties, which profit he gave to the poor. He wanted to spread the Catholic faith, thus, he founded a congregation called the remonstratensians or the Norbertines.
Later in life, Norbert was chosen bishop of Magdeburg. The new bishop entered the city wearing very poor clothes and no shoes. The porter at the door did not recognize him and refused to let him in. When those who witnessed made him realize his mistake, the porter was apologetic. The bishop only replied, You judge me more correctly than those who brought me here.
Norbert fought heresy in the land. His defense of Jesus presence in the Blessed Eucharist inspired those to return to Christianity.
Norbert died in 1134 and was canonized in 1582 by Pope Gregory XIII.

A Saint A Day

Saint Getulius

Saint Getulius of the late first century was the husband of Saint Symphorosa. Under the reign of Emperors Trajan and Adrian, the man served as a Roman officer. When he publicly converted in faith, Getulius resigned from his commission. He and his brother Saint Amantius returned to their country.
Emperor Adrian was furious. He sent the Roman guards Caerealis and Primitivus to arrest the brothers. But instead, Getulius and Amantius converted the guards. The emperor was more infuriated. He ordered the judge Licinius for the execution of the four. The judge, however, offered them a delay in the execution provided that they renounce their faith. All declined.
In c.120, Getulius and his companions were clubbed to death at Tivoli.

Patron Saints Index: Saint Getulius

LOST BECAUSE LOVED

We lose only people we love. People we do not love, we do not notice when they are present or absent. Worse, to people we do not love, we sometimes say, “Get lost!”
It is love that gives value to people. Without love, no one and nothing has value. We do not lose people who, or things that, we do not consider valuable. This is the difference between Jesus and His critics today. The scribes and the Pharisees complain that Jesus welcomes sinners and eats with them because the scribes and the Pharisees have no love for offenders of the Law. The scribes and the Pharisees, instead, love the Law in itself. Jesus, however, loves the lawbreakers even as He loves the law. Jesus loses us because He loves us. When we sin, Jesus loses us because He loves us. That is why He comes looking for us. When He finds us, He carries us on His shoulders as a shepherd carries his once-lost-but-nowfound sheep.
Remember the people you lost? You feel the loss because you love them. Had you no love for them, you would not even notice that you lost them.
Are there people in your life now to whom you say, “Get lost!” Why? Love indeed is the answer to so many questions because it is love that gives value to all.
Do not let Jesus lose you. He loves you more than you know. Do not let Jesus lose the others too. He loves them as much as He loves you. For the love of Jesus, let us seek the lost. Let us be another “Jesus” to all. This is what it means to celebrate today the Solemnity of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. This is what we should mean when we pray every First Friday of the month: “Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make our hearts like unto Thine.” Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: How much have I become like Jesus?

Father, “we have received Your sacrament of love. By becoming more like Christ on earth may we share His glory in heaven, where He lives and reigns forever and ever” (Prayer After Communion of the votive Mass of the Sacred Heart of Jesus). Amen.

St. Germaine Cousin, virgin, pray for us.

JUNE 16, 2006
SATURDAY

A MOTHER’S LOVE

When they did not find him, they went back to Jerusalem to look for him. – Luke 2:45

Flora has not spoken to her son Andy for more than 10 years. For her, it was a matter of selfpreservation.
Every time Andy shouted at her, or shunned her attention, or rejected something she offered, she built up the wall around her heart to protect herself against the hurt. In time, the wall became impenetrable, and although they lived in the same house, they barely even looked at one another.
That is, until the day she received a call from the hospital saying that Andy was involved in a serious accident. Steeling herself against further rejection, she went inside his hospital room to find that he already had several visitors. When Andy saw her, he said to the others, “This is my mother,” and that was all it took to melt her hardened heart.
I realize that it’s not just Flora, but all of us who, in one way or another, choose to remember past hurts, false first impressions, malicious gossips, and various negative traits of others. May we learn to have a heart like Mary’s, treasuring memories that build up, rather than tear down, our relationships. Cecille L.

REFLECTION:
Are the treasures you keep in your heart making you rich, or are they weighing you down?

Mama Mary, teach us how to have a heart full of love for your Son and for each other.

1st READING

Isaiah 61:9-11 or 2 Corinthians 5:14-21

It is not for us to question God’s Will. He has the power to do whatever it is that He wants to do. However, He gives us the option to cooperate with His Will. He allows us to determine, at least initially, whether or not we will cooperate with His Will. If we decide not to, He has to look elsewhere. In Mary, whose Immaculate Heart we celebrate today, God found a woman whose heart and mind were one with His and obedient to Him in all things.

9 Their descendants shall be renowned among the nations, and their offspring among the peoples; all who see them shall acknowledge them as a race the LORD has blessed. 10 I rejoice heartily in the LORD, in my God is the joy of my soul; for he has clothed me with a robe of salvation, and wrapped me in a mantle of justice, like a bridegroom adorned with a diadem, like a bride bedecked with her jewels. 11 As the earth brings forth its plants, and a garden makes its growth spring up, so will the LORD GOD make justice and praise spring up before all the nations.

P S A L M

1 Samuel 2:1, 4-5, 6-7, 8 or Psalm 103:1-2, 3-4, 9-10, 11-12

R: My heart exults in the Lord, my savior.

1 My heart exults in the LORD, my horn is exalted in my God. I have swallowed up my enemies; I rejoice in my victory. (R) 4 The bows of the mighty are broken, while the tottering gird on strength. 5 The well-fed hire themselves out for bread, while the hungry batten on spoil. The barren wife bears seven sons, while the mother of many languishes. (R) 6 The LORD puts to death and gives life; he casts down to the nether world; he raises up again. 7 The LORD makes poor and makes rich, he humbles, he also exalts. (R) 8 He raises the needy from the dust; from the ash heap he lifts up the poor, To seat them with nobles and make a glorious throne their heritage. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 2:41-51 or Matthew 5:33-37

One of the biblical images of the heart is that it is the place where we store the good things of our lives. The problem is that we can also allow regrets and resentments and hurts to dwell there as well. The choice is ours! Let us pray for the grace to be able to let go of all the things that hurt us and allow those that will help us to grow in love to abide and remain as the formative aspects of our hearts’ desires.

41 Each year his parents went to Jerusalem for the feast of Passover, 42 and when he was twelve years old, they went up according to festival custom. 43 After they had completed its days, as they were returning, the boy Jesus remained behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it. 44 Thinking that he was in the caravan, they journeyed for a day and looked for him among their relatives and acquaintances, 45 but not finding him, they returned to Jerusalem to look for him. 46 After three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions, 47 and all who heard him were astounded at his understanding and his answers. 48 When his parents saw him, they were astonished, and his mother said to him, “Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety.” 49 And he said to them, “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?” 50 But they did not understand what he said to them. 51 He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart.

my reflections
think: In Mary, whose Immaculate Heart we celebrate today, God found a woman whose heart and mind were one with His and obedient to Him in all things.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Proverbs 17-20

OUT OF SIGHT NOT OUT OF HEART

To think that the Blessed Mother and St. Joseph lost the Child Jesus sounds almost like a sin!
But the parents of Jesus lost Him because He decided to be left behind in the temple. The loss of Jesus was not the fault of either Mary or Joseph.
Neither was it the fault of Jesus. It was the consequence of Jesus’ mission to be busy in His Father’s “business”. In Jesus’ fulfilling the will of His Father in heaven, His parents here on earth had to endure many trials. The Gospel today tells us only one of the many. By enduring the difficult consequences of their Son’s obeying the will of God, Mary and Joseph shared in Jesus’ mission. The Father allowed Mary and Joseph to lose Jesus so that Jesus might find the lost.
In doing the mission that God has given each of us, there comes a time when the people closest to us, our loved ones and friends, are called upon to suffer. By their suffering, they come to share in our mission.
The Blessed Mother played this role in the life and mission of her Son, Jesus Christ. She was a sharer in His sufferings and many times had to suffer on account of His mission to redeem humankind from sin and death. She was able to participate in the mission of the Lord because she kept her heart free for Him. Her Son did not only belong to her; she belonged to Him.
As we celebrate the memorial of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, let us remember
three ‘Ms’ to keep our hearts like that of Mary:
M – Meekness. Let us strive to be humble always, bowing low before the will of God even if it entails sufferings in this life.
M – Modesty. Let us struggle to be pure in every way, mindful that our hearts belong to Jesus, only Jesus, always Jesus.
M – Magnanimity. Let us learn to be generous, noble, upright, and loving in all things, doing everything as an act of love for God.
Mary, together with Joseph, once lost the Child Jesus but found Him again in the Temple because He never left her heart. For three days, Jesus was out of her sight, but not out of her heart. Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: In what way can I share in the mission of others for God by my sacrifices?

Mary Immaculate, I consecrate my heart to you. I wish to be yours in life and in death. You are my life, my sweetness, and my hope. Take me into your loving care and mold me into the image and likeness of your Son. May I love Jesus with your heart and love you with the heart of Jesus. Amen.

St. John Francis Regis, confessor, pray for us.

Last edited:
This Sunday, remember that you are hidden in His heart.

Praying for you,

Kers?

17 June
Sunday

MY CHRISTIAN DIOR

She dried his feet with her hair, kissed them, and poured perfume on them. – Luke 7:38

On our first Christmas together as husband and wife, Ed gave me a bottle of Christian Dior perfume as a Christmas gift. It was my favorite perfume. Not only was it an expensive brand, it really had this sweet, ritzy smell. I felt like an elegant, luxurious woman every time I wore it. I so loved my Christian Dior that I used it sparingly so it would last long, even as I read somewhere that you must use perfume as fast as you can because fragrances have a short shelf life.
When finally I used up the perfume—after a year or so — I kept the bottle because of its sentimental value.
As I read today’s Gospel about the woman who poured perfume on the feet of Jesus, I ask myself, would have I done the same? Pour out my Christian Dior on the Lord’s feet? In all honesty, my answer is yes. The Lord is much, much more valuable than my bottle of Christian Dior.
Now, I go through my other possessions, things and people I value most. I study them one by one and ask myself what I could give up if ever the Lord asks me to do so.
In all honesty, I pray the Lord won’t ask so much of me! Cynthia S.

REFLECTION:
What will you not do for the Lord?

Lord, make me a sweet smelling offering to You!

UTANG-NA-LOOB

For Filipinos, the most painful comment anyone can give about anyone is “Wala siyang utang-na-loob”. Utang-na-loob has no direct and perfect translation in English. The closest translation perhaps is “debt of gratitude.” Thus, a person who is said to be walang utang-na-loob is a person who has no sense of gratitude. And for Filipinos, that sense is really a deep sense. You may call a Filipino anything, but never tell him, “Wala kang utang-naloob!” Doing so can spark a big and violent fight.
The woman who suddenly came in while Jesus was dining with the Pharisee and waited at His feet expressed her utang-na-loob to Jesus. The sins from which Jesus forgave her must have been great, for her sense of gratitude was deep.
This sense of gratitude, the Pharisee did not have. For all we know, the Pharisee perhaps even thought that it was Jesus who owed him much because he invited Him into his house and dined with him. But the truth is Jesus was, is, and will never be indebted to anyone. On the contrary, we are all indebted to Him. Jesus is God.
Everything is grace. We cannot boast of anything, for all have fallen short of the grace of God. But God’s response to our sins is merciful love. No matter how many and how grave our sins are, God readily forgives us when we beg for His mercy.
Our utang-na-loob to God is infinite because God, to whom we are indebted, is infinite. We cannot fully repay Him for His goodness to us. Only God can repay God. Jesus alone, who is truly God and man, who is the Son of God and the Son of man, can pay our debt to God. And He already did on the cross.
We can only rejoice with Jesus as He freely dispenses His mercy on sinners. If we cannot rejoice with Him because He forgives sinners, then we must have forgotten our indebtedness to Him. Wala tayong utang na loob. Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: What return can I make to the Lord for His goodness to me?

Thank You, Jesus. I cannot thank You enough, my Lord. But let my life be an offering of thanksgiving to You. As You always forgive me each time I sin and return to You with sincere contrition for my sins, may I forgive those who wrong me and ask for my mercy. Utang ko po sa Inyo ang lahat, Panginoon. Amen.

St. Gregory Barbarigo, bishop confessor, pray for us.

1st READING

2 Samuel 12:7-10.13

Power and desire can be a very dangerous combination as David found out in relation to Uriah the Hittite’s wife. We need to be careful how we channel these two human realities especially if they are connected to one another. I am sure that I do not need to elaborate any further. Let us pray for moderation in all things and the grace to control our desires according to the Will of God. Let us pray that we will not allow ourselves to lose sight of our call to imitate Jesus in all that we do.

7 Then Nathan said to David “You are the man! Thus says the LORD God of Israel ‘I anointed you king of Israel. I rescued you from the hand of Saul. 8 I gave you your lord’s house and your lord’s wives for your own. I gave you the house of Israel and of Judah. And if this were not enough, I could count up for you still more. 9 Why have you spurned the LORD and done evil in his sight? You have cut down Uriah the Hittite with the sword; you took his wife as your own, and him you killed with the sword of the Ammonites. 10 Now, therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised me and have taken the wife of Uriah to be your wife.’’’ 13 Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the LORD.” Nathan answered David, “The LORD on his part has forgiven your sin you shall not die.

P S A L M

Psalm 32:1-2, 5, 7, 11

R: Lord, forgive the wrong I have done.

1 Blessed is he whose fault is taken away, whose sin is covered. 2 Blessed the man to whom the LORD imputes not guilt, in whose spirit there is no guile. (R) 5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you, my guilt I covered not. I said, “I confess my faults to the LORD,” and you took away the guilt of my sin. 7 You are my shelter; from distress you will preserve me; with glad cries of freedom you will ring me round. (R) 11 Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, you just; exult, all you upright of heart. (R)

2nd READING

Galatians 2:16, 19-21

Paul knows that mere obedience to the Law is not enough for salvation. Why? He has tried it as a Jew and found it lacking. It was only in his conversion to Jesus and embracing the Gospel of Love that brought true satisfaction and peace to his mind and heart. We can seek consolation in pleasure, the world, sin or any one of many other things, but we will be left unsatisfied. Augustine got it right when he said that it is only in the Lord that our hearts find true rest! Let us pray for the grace to come to this same conclusion.

16 We who know that a person is not justified by works of the Law but through faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the Law, because by works of the law no one will be justified. 19 For through the Law I died to the Law, that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ; 20 yet I live, no longer I, but Christ lives in me; insofar as I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who has loved me and given himself up for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God; for if justification comes through the Law, then Christ died for nothing.

G O S P E L

Luke 7:36-8:3

The Scriptures tell us that love can cover over a multitude of sins, however, this should not lead us into any sort of complacency as regards sin. It is obviously better to avoid sin in the first place and thus have no need to cover over any sins. In this case, love will be for the sake of love and directly building something positive rather than having to first rectify a wrong. Let us learn to love with all our hearts as the woman ministering to Jesus in today’s Gospel. Love is never ashamed to express itself no matter what form it may be in.

36 A Pharisee invited Jesus to dine with him, and he entered the Pharisee’s house and reclined at table. 37 Now there was a sinful woman in the city who learned that he was at table in the house of the Pharisee. Bringing an alabaster flask of ointment, 38 she stood behind him at his feet weeping and began to bathe his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them, and anointed them with the ointment. 39 When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would know who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, that she is a sinner.” 40 Jesus said to him in reply, “Simon, I have something to say to you. “Tell me, teacher,” he said. 41 “Two people were in debt to a certain creditor; one owed five hundred days’ wages and the other owed fifty. 42 Since they were unable to repay the debt, he forgave it for both. Which of them will love him more?” 43 Simon said in reply, “The one, I suppose, whose larger debt was forgiven.” He said to him, “You have judged rightly.” 44 Then he turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? When I entered your house, you did not give me water for my feet, but she has bathed them with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You did not give me a kiss, but she has not ceased kissing my feet since the time I entered. 46 You did not anoint my head with oil, but she anointed my feet with ointment. 47 So I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven; hence, she has shown great love. But the one to whom little is forgiven, loves little.” 48 He said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.” 49 The others at table said to themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?” 50 But Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.” 8:1 Afterward he journeyed from one town and village to another, preaching and proclaiming the Good News of the kingdom of God. Accompanying him were the Twelve 2 and some women who had been cured of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, 3 Joanna, the wife of Herod’s steward Chuza, Susanna, and many others who provided for them out of their resources.

my reflections
think: Let us pray for moderation in all things and the grace to control our desires according to the Will of God.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Proverbs 21-24

SABBATH PAUSE

My weekly time with God

THANK YOU LIST

Things to be grateful for from the past week

SPECIAL NEEDS

Things to ask God for in the coming week

HIDDEN TREASURE

Most important word God told me this week

JUNE 18, 2007
MONDAY

BEING LIKE NICOLE

“Give to the one who asks of you, and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow.” – Matthew 5:42

The teachers of Nicole, my precocious sixyear- old granddaughter, are all one in saying that she is the Ambassador of Peace in class. Here’s one clear example why.
One time, her two boy classmates were fighting over a toy. The bigger boy had the upper hand and was able to get the toy, not because he had bigger hands, but more because he had no qualms about hitting his opponent on the head with a book!
Nicole gently pulled the sobbing boy to a corner, and very quietly talked to him. The teacher overheard her saying, “It’s not good to hit him also. You just tell him not to do it again. Come, you shake hands so you will be friends again.”
Sometimes, kids are better followers of God’s Word! (Of course I mean kids like Nicole and not her troublesome classmates.)
Children often have a purer understanding of right and wrong, a fuller meaning of obedience and a simpler way of looking at chaos. We adults often complicate matters too much. We would be better off being like little children to enter the kingdom of God. Chelle C.

REFLECTION:
What kind of child are you?

You call us Your children. Teach us to be like the children that You will welcome into Your kingdom.

1st READING

2 Corinthians 6:1-10

Paul exhorts the Corinthians not to allow the grace God offers them to pass them by in vain! The timing of God is always perfect; He knows what He is doing, even if we cannot fully understand. It is up to us to accept the grace He offers and allow the Spirit to lead us in the path that He desires. This is our best hope for a happy and fulfilling life.

1 Working together, then, we appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain. 2 For He says: “In an acceptable time I heard you, and on the day of salvation I helped you.” Behold, now is a very acceptable time; behold, now is the day of salvation. 3 We cause no one to stumble in anything, in order that no fault may be found with our ministry; 4 on the contrary, in everything we commend ourselves as ministers of God, through much endurance, in afflictions, hardships, constraints, 5 beatings, imprisonments, riots, labors, vigils, fasts; 6 by purity, knowledge, patience, kindness, in a Holy Spirit, in unfeigned love, 7 in truthful speech, in the power of God; with weapons of righteousness at the right and at the left; 8 through glory and dishonor, insult and praise. We are treated as deceivers and yet are truthful; 9 as unrecognized and yet acknowledged; as dying and behold we live; as chastised and yet not put to death; 10 as sorrowful yet always rejoicing; as poor yet enriching many; as having nothing and yet possessing all things.

P S A L M

Psalm 98:1, 2, 3, 3-4

R: The Lord has made known his salvation.

1 Sing to the LORD a new song, for he has done wondrous deeds; his right hand has won victory for him, his holy arm. (R) 2 The LORD has made his salvation known in the sight of the nations he has revealed his justice. (R) 3 He has remembered his kindness and his faithfulness toward the house of Israel. (R) All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation by our God. 4 Sing joyfully to the LORD, all you lands; break into song; sing praise. (R)

G O S P E L

Matthew 5:38-42

The basic lesson here is that we must never return evil with evil. This will never bring about a good result. It may seem to be the answer at times but that is only if we disregard the effect of what doing something wrong actually does to us in our hearts and soul. To align ourselves with the devil by freely committing something we know is wrong is a very dangerous road to walk and one that will always have a negative effect on us in one way or another.

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil. When someone strikes you on your right cheek, turn the other one to him as well. 40 If anyone wants to go to Law with you over your tunic, hand him your cloak as well. 41 Should anyone press you into service for one mile, go with him for two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks of you, and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow.”

my reflections
think: The timing of God is always perfect.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Proverbs 25-28

TAKE NO REVENGE BUT DO NOT BE A MORON

Sts. Mark and Marcellan, martyrs, pray for us.
One day, a man went to visit the wise man of the village. “Teacher,” the man said, “my brother hit me on both cheeks and so I fled. What should I do?”
The wise man looked at him and asked, “Were you able to count how many times he hit you?”
“49 times, Master,” the man answered. The wise man smiled at him and said, “Go back and tell him to hit you another time to make it fifty.”
“But what for?” the man shouted, surprised by the wise man’s advice.
“Well, my friend,” replied the wise man, “the 50th is for your stupidity, you, moron! Why let your brother hit you 49 times and never do anything about it?”
When Jesus said that we should offer our other cheek if anyone hits us on the right cheek, He did not mean that we have to stupidly submit our selves to violence. His point was that we should not take revenge for any wrongdoing done to us. Jesus, of course, does not want us to end up mangled and violated. He wants instead that the vicious cycle of violence cease. Taking revenge never ends violence; it aggravates it.
When someone strikes us on our right cheek, give him our other cheek. But when he aims for another round, would we be morons not to take cover, would we be vengeful and strike him, or would we be Christians enough to take his hand and start a dialogue to understand where he is coming from with the hope that reconciliation would be reached? The choice is always ours. We become what we choose to be. But Jesus never wants us to be morons nor vengeful. Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: When hurt, do I react or do I respond?

Jesus, Prince of Peace, I pray for peace: Make me a peacemaker. Let peace begin with me. Let me be a peaceful person. Let me be a person who makes peace with everyone. Let me not react with violence. Let me respond with peace. Jesus, You are our Peace, please dwell in our hearts. Amen.

JUNE 19, 2007
TUESDAY

LOVE AND PRAYERS

Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. – Matthew 5:44

After the demo of my lesson plan, my teacher started criticizing every step I took with gusto – blow after blow after blow. There was not one good thing she saw. Although she did not succeed in shattering my self-esteem, I felt a little peeved that she could not offer one word of encouragement.
The next class day, everything that the teacher said entered one ear and left the other. In one instance, I deliberately read something else quietly in my seat to keep from hearing what she was saying. I focused on my feelings – there was anger and hurt.
That night I prayed. I prayed for healing and, most of all, I prayed for my teacher. Before our next class I went to confession and settled with the Lord any grudge in my heart. But I also gave feedback to my teacher’s co-teacher in the class who was absent during my demo. I relayed to her that this teacher dealt with me the way she dealt with my two other classmates who had already stopped attending the class and had decided not to finish the course.
In our next class day, there was a marked change in my teacher’s attitude towards critiquing demo lessons! But most of all, I was able to smile at her again. The Lord’s formula for dealing with our “enemies” really works! Cristy G.

REFLECTION:
Who needs prayer most? You or your enemies?

I pray for my enemies today, Lord. But most of all I pray for myself, that I may be able to pray with genuine love in my heart.

1st READING

2 Corinthians 8:1-9

St. Paul encourages us all to be generous with everything we have when it comes to our service of God and His Kingdom. Some groups in the Church today talk a lot about tithing. This is okay insofar as it is a reasonable measure to begin with. However, Jesus gave everything for us and I believe that the New Testament call is to give all in the service of the Kingdom not just ten percent! No, I am not advocating some sort of socialism where everything is held in common but more like a form of Christianity where we are willing to help one another when a legitimate need arises.

1 We want you to know, brothers, of the Grace of God that has been given to the churches of Macedonia, 2 for in a severe test of affliction, the abundance of their joy and their profound poverty overflowed in a wealth of generosity on their part. 3 For according to their means, I can testify, and beyond their means, spontaneously, 4 they begged us insistently for the favor of taking part in the service to the holy ones, 5 and this, not as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the LORD and to us through the will of God, 6 so that we urged Titus that, as he had already begun, he should also complete for you this gracious act also. 7 Now as you excel in every respect, in faith, discourse, knowledge, all earnestness, and in the love we have for you, may you excel in this gracious act also. 8 I say this not by way of command, but to test the genuineness of your love by your concern for others. 9 For you know the gracious act of our LORD Jesus Christ, that for your sake he became poor although he was rich, so that by his poverty you might become rich.

P S A L M

Psalm 146:2, 5-6, 6-7, 8-9

R: Praise the Lord, my soul!

2 I will praise the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God while I live. 5 Blessed he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD, his God, 6 who made heaven and earth, the sea and all that is in them. (R) Who keeps faith forever, 7 secures justice for the oppressed, gives good to the hungry. The LORD sets captives free. (R) 8 The LORD gives sight to the blind. The LORD raises up those that were bowed down; the LORD loves the just. 9 The LORD protects strangers. (R)

G O S P E L

Matthew 5:43-48

Jesus calls us to go above and beyond the minimal call of love of neighbor in order to reflect to the world that we are called to be perfect as God is perfect. This calling reflects the depth of the grace available to all Christians as anything Jesus asks of us must be possible or He would not ask us to do it. This is how high we are called along the road of holiness. We need to forget about anything less than perfection.

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have? Do not the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your brothers only, what is unusual about that? Do not the pagans do the same? 48 So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

my reflections
think: We need to forget about anything less than perfection.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Proverbs 29-31

HE CAN BE PERFECT AT 5FT. TALL OR LESS

St. Romuald, abbot confessor, pray for us.
When a friend of mine said that his son would someday play basketball very well, I agreed. My friend played basketball so well when we were in high school. Thus, that his son would become a basketball player was very probable. However, when my friend beamingly said that his son would grow 6ft. tall, I simply smiled. You see, my friend is 5’3” while his wife is 5ft. flat. That his son would grow 6ft. tall – you wish!
It seems at first that it is easier for my friend’s son to grow 6ft. tall rather than to be perfect as Jesus tells us to be. But truly, it is easier for us to be perfect rather than for my friend’s son to grow 6ft. tall. The reason is that God, our Father, is perfect. It is from Him that we can get the attribute of perfection. Moreover, we were created in His image and likeness (cf. Gen 1:26-27), remember?
Because God is love (1 Jn 4:8), perfection means loving like God Himself. To gauge how perfect we are, we must examine how we love. If we love only those who love us, we are not perfect. If we love our friends but hate our detractors, we are not perfect. If we are not perfect, we are not true to our image and likeness.
To love is a decision. To be perfect, therefore, is a decision too. We have to decide to be perfect and love even the unlovable. We work on being perfect as we strive to love both friend and foe. We pray to be perfect as we pray for both friend and foe.
My friend’s son is, by the way, in the 7th Grade now. My friendand his wife are proud and happy about their son’s good character combined with good brains and good looks. I do not know if he plays basketball though. But I am very sure, by just looking at him and his parents, this kid will not grow to 6ft. tall. No big deal though, he can be perfect at 5ft. tall or even less. Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: Do I live according to God’s image and likeness?

O God, You are perfect. You are love. You are perfect love. You created me in Your image and likeness. I am meant to be perfect. I can only be perfect if I love like You. Please help me. I want to be just like You. Amen.

JUNE 20, 2007
WEDNESDAY

TO EACH HIS OWN

But I do not think I am in the least inferior to those “super-apostles.” I may not be a trained speaker, but I do have knowledge.” – 2 Corinthians 11:5-6

I would always listen intently and watch in awe each time my favorite speaker, Lou, visits our branch. What’s not to like about her? She’s intelligent, an exceptional lawyer, a gifted evangelist, a prolific writer, a true servant of God. In short, she’s my “idol” (next to Jesus, that is) and I truly admire and respect her.
In all honesty, I wish it were only all good and positive emotions she evoked in me. There were moments when the Enemy sowed the seeds of envy and insecurity. The devil would craftily whisper how I can never be like her in any way, how I can never even come close to becoming as good a leader, a speaker and a writer as she is.
Paul’s vote of confidence in being an apostle of Christ reminds me that we all have been blessed by God with knowledge, skills, talents and every good thing we need to fulfill His will for our lives. Just like a sprinter who keeps on looking sideways at his opponents can slow him down and cause him to lose the race, so too can comparing ourselves with others cause us to lose sight of the mission He has set out for us. Dina P.

REFLECTION:

Stop comparing yourself with others. Instead, focus your energies on how you can become more like Jesus.

Lord, give me the grace to appreciate the gifts you have bestowed on me to fulfill Your will in my life. May I forever be thankful for these and use them to bring You glory. Amen.

1st READING

2 Corinthians 9:6-11

God has not placed a limit on the grace He has given us. We know this is true when we consider that the salvation won by Jesus overcame the infinite debt we had incurred to God through our sins. If God is infinitely committed to us, then we should at least be able to give Him everything in return. This is the least we can do in response to His love. This means that we should hold nothing back from Him and take the risk of entrusting everything we have and are and will be into His loving hands.

6 Consider this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7 Each must do as already determined, without sadness or compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 Moreover, God is able to make every grace abundant for you, so that in all things, always having all you need, you may have an abundance for every good work. 9 As it is written: “He scatters abroad, he gives to the poor; his righteousness endures forever.” 10 The one who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed and increase the harvest of your righteousness. 11 You are being enriched in every way for all generosity, which through us produces thanksgiving to God.

P S A L M

Psalm 112:1-2, 3-4, 9

R: Blessed the man who fears the Lord.

1 Blessed the man who fears the LORD, who greatly delights in his commands. 2 His posterity shall be mighty upon the earth; the upright generation shall be blessed. (R) 3 Wealth and riches shall be in his house; his generosity shall endure forever. 4 Light shines through the darkness for the upright; he is gracious and merciful and just. (R) 9 Lavishly he gives to the poor; his generosity shall endure forever; his horn shall be exalted in glory. (R)

G O S P E L

Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18

God is not interested in the outward display of piousness that is all too easy to accomplish. He is looking for the internal conversion of our hearts and minds to His love and will. It is not so much the things we do, but how we do them that is important. Only if our motivation is right, that is, we act out of love for God and our neighbor, will our good works have any real value. The devil can imitate all that Christ does except His humility. The one sure way we can identify our good works is if they are done with humility.

1 “Take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them; otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father. 2 When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. 3 But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing, 4 so that your almsgiving may be secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you. 5 When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. 6 But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you. 16 When you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites. They neglect their appearance, so that they may appear to others to be fasting. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. 17 But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 so that you may not appear to be fasting, except to your Father who is hidden. And your Father who sees what is hidden will repay you.”

my reflections
think: It is not so much the things we do, but how we do them that is important.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Ecclesiastes 1-4

ALL OUR HEART BUT NOT BOTH OUR HANDS

REFLECTION QUESTION: Am I noisy about my good deeds?

Lord, give me a generous heart but help me to be silent about it. Amen.

St. Silverius, pope martyr, pray for us.
Give with all our heart, but do not give with both our hands. Sounds weird, huh? But that s what Jesus is trying to tell us: “When you give alms, do not let your left hand know what our right hand is doing” (Matthew 6:3). Giving does not need both our hands. All it needs is all our heart. Give wholeheartedly – that alone is enough. The point is, be quiet about our good deeds. Otherwise, we may win the approval of many but lose God’s.God does not approve of us trumpeting our kindness towards others. Those who announce their enevolence are soon to be found nowhere when the applause of the crowd dies down. In such a case, they are not really philanthropists but hypocrites. God hates hypocrisy more than anything.
Learn the art of silence. It is the utterance of the heart where our true motives cannot be hidden. Fr. Bobby T.

JUNE 21, 2007
THURSDAY

TO EACH HIS OWN

But I do not think I am in the least inferior to those “super-apostles.” I may not be a trained speaker, but I do have knowledge.” – 2 Corinthians 11:5-6

I would always listen intently and watch in awe each time my favorite speaker, Lou, visits our branch. What’s not to like about her? She’s intelligent, an exceptional lawyer, a gifted evangelist, a prolific writer, a true servant of God. In short, she’s my “idol” (next to Jesus, that is) and I truly admire and respect her.
In all honesty, I wish it were only all good and positive emotions she evoked in me. There were moments when the Enemy sowed the seeds of envy and insecurity. The devil would craftily whisper how I can never be like her in any way, how I can never even come close to becoming as good a leader, a speaker and a writer as she is.
Paul’s vote of confidence in being an apostle of Christ reminds me that we all have been blessed by God with knowledge, skills, talents and every good thing we need to fulfill His will for our lives. Just like a sprinter who keeps on looking sideways at his opponents can slow him down and cause him to lose the race, so too can comparing ourselves with others cause us to lose sight of the mission He has set out for us. Dina P.

REFLECTION:
Stop comparing yourself with others. Instead, focus your energies on how you can become more like Jesus.

Lord, give me the grace to appreciate the gifts you have bestowed on me to fulfill Your will in my life. May I forever be thankful for these and use them to bring You glory. Amen.

1st READING

2 Corinthians 11:1-11

Paul did not always accept the board and keep offered to him by the communities he was working with in teaching and discipleship. In this way he could stand apart from them in an objective manner and challenge them to a similar generosity when it comes to their service of the Gospel. It is important that we do not allow the idea that grace can be bought or manipulated by various techniques to enter into our understanding of the Gospel. Yes, the workman deserves his keep; however, we should always offer the Gospel free of charge to others as that is how we have received it.

1 If only you would put up with a little foolishness from me! Please put up with me. 2 For I am jealous of you with the jealousy of God, since I betrothed you to one husband to present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. 3 But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts may be corrupted from a sincere [and pure] commitment to Christ. 4 For if someone comes and preaches another Jesus than the one we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it well enough. 5 For I think that I am not in any way inferior to these “super apostles.” 6 Even if I am untrained in speaking, I am not so in knowledge; in every way we have made this plain to you in all things. 7 Did I make a mistake when I humbled myself so that you might be exalted, because I preached the Gospel of God to you without charge? 8 I plundered other churches by accepting from them in order to minister to you. 9 And when I was with you and in need, I did not burden anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied my needs. So I refrained and will refrain from burdening you in any way. 10 By the truth of Christ in me, this boast of mine shall not be silenced in the regions of Achaia. 11 And why? Because I do not love you? God knows I do!

P S A L M

Psalm 111:1-2, 3-4, 7-8

R: Your works, O Lord, are justice and truth.

1 I will give thanks to the LORD with all my heart in the company and assembly of the just. 2 Great are the works of the LORD, exquisite in all their delights. (R) 3 Majesty and glory are his work, and his justice endures forever. 4 He has won renown for his wondrous deeds; gracious and merciful is the LORD. (R) 7 The works of his hands are faithful and just; sure are all his precepts, 8 reliable forever and ever, wrought in truth and equity. (R)

G O S P E L

Matthew 6:7-15

Prayer should never become an optional extra for any day of our life. The first priority of our day should be to know when we are going to pray. Without prayer our spirits will be bereft of their necessary sustenance needed to maintain a good relationship with God. Lord, help me to order my life so that I always give you the best attention I possibly can in prayer. Let me never neglect this essential aspect of the Christian life.

7 “In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9 This is how you are to pray: ‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10 your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven. 11 Give us today our daily bread; 12 and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; 13 and do not subject us to the final test, but deliver us from the evil one.’ 14 If you forgive others their transgressions, your heavenly Father will forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions.”

my reflections
think: Prayer should never become an optional extra for any day of our life.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Ecclesiastes 5-8

THE NOVICE WHO TEACHES NOVICE MASTERS

St. Aloysius Gonzaga, confessor, pray for us.
Born in 1568, Italy, Aloysius, whose blessed memory we celebrate today, was from the princely family of Castiglione. He became a page in the court of Medicis and of Philip II of Spain. However, he renounced his inheritance to enter the Society of Jesus and showed great devotion to the Holy Eucharist, interior prayer, and charitable service. Robert Belarmine, another Jesuit and saint, was his spiritual director. While nursing the plague-stricken in 1591, Aloysius contracted the disease and, while still a Jesuit novice, passed away at the young age of 23 years old.
Aloysius exemplifies for us the inseparable love of God and neighbor. One who professes love of God but does not love his neighbor is a handicapped lover. Real love of either kind is not complete without the other. Aloysius’ love for God found its expression not only in his intense devotion to the Holy Eucharist and to interior prayer, but also and simultaneously in his charitable service to his brethren who were victims of a plague. His charity towards the plague-stricken was such that he himself contracted the disease. He was a novice in the Jesuit order, but was indeed a master in the order of love. Today, even Jesuit novice masters learn from this novice. Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: I may have lesser in years, but am I also lesser in love?

I love You, Lord. Let my love for You find its expression not only in pious acts but also in charitable deeds. Help me to see You when I serve my neighbors. Help me to see my neighbors when I see You. Amen.

JUNE 22, 2007
FRIDAY

THE RIGHT QUESTION

treasures... – Matthew 6:21

Something from an audio book by Jim Rohn made an impact on me. He said, “Ask the right questions — and you improve the quality of your life!” In today’s Gospel (Matthew 6:21), I ask, “What are these treasures in heaven? Are they heavenly points? Good graces with ‘Big Brother?’ Knowledge of the Bible?” I’m sure that it’s intangible.
Or is it?
Looking back, I realized that my early involvement in my Christian community enabled me to know what these treasures are.
They’re the people whom I’ve touched and somehow brought closer to God. It was the reason why I studied every week – even when there was no exam approaching – so I could participate in all the choir practices, prayer meetings, core group meetings plus all the gimmicks. It was to give time to anybody in need of a listening ear. Jomar H.

REFLECTION:
How about you, what takes up most of your time? What is your treasure?

Teach me to plant my roots in things that matter and are significant, Lord.

1st READING

2 Corinthians 11:18, 21-30

Paul’s list of sufferings and trials is impressive. I am pretty sure that there are probably others that he has not even bothered to include here. If a servant as great as Paul suffered for his faith, then I think that we can be reasonably sure that there will be some sort of suffering in our lives as well. The trick is to see that suffering can be redemptive if we embrace it with the intention to unite ourselves with the suffering Christ on the cross. In this way we grow in deeper love of Christ through suffering as well as see its value for the proclamation of the Kingdom.

18 Since many boast according to the flesh, I too will boast. 21 To my shame I say that we were too weak! But what anyone dares to boast of (I am speaking in foolishness) I also dare. 22 Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they descendants of Abraham? So am I. 23 Are they ministers of Christ? (I am talking like an insane person.) I am still more, with far greater labors, far more imprisonments, far worse beatings, and numerous brushes with death. 24 Five times at the hands of the Jews I received forty lashes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I passed a night and a day on the deep; 26 on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my own race, dangers from Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers at sea, dangers among false brothers; 27 in toil and hardship, through many sleepless nights, through hunger and thirst, through frequent fasting, through cold and exposure. 28 And apart from these things, there is the daily pressure upon me of my anxiety for all the churches. 29 Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is led to sin, and I am not indignant? 30 If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.

P S A L M

Psalm 34:2-3, 4-5, 6-7

R: From all their distress God rescues the just.

1 [2] I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall be ever in my mouth. 2 [3] Let my soul glory in the LORD; the lowly will hear me and be glad. (R) 3 [4] Glorify the LORD with me, let us together extol his name. 4 [5] I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. (R) 5 [6] Look to him that you may be radiant with joy, and your faces may not blush with shame. 6 [7] When the poor one called out, the LORD heard, and from all his distress he saved him. (R)

G O S P E L

Matthew 6:19-23

Jesus encourages us to make our lives count in the wider scheme of things. This means giving over our time and efforts to good works. That will mean we are storing up blessings for ourselves in heaven and not here on earth. While there is nothing wrong per se with earthly blessings, they are of far less value than heavenly ones, as they will not carry over in any way into eternal life. Eternal life is where we are going to spend all (bar the next few years) of eternity, so it makes sense for our focus to be there rather than here.

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and decay destroy, and thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor decay destroys, nor thieves break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be. 22 The lamp of the body is the eye. If your eye is sound, your whole body will be filled with light; 23 but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be in darkness. And if the light in you is darkness, how great will the darkness be.”

my reflections
think: Suffering can be redemptive if we embrace it with the intention to unite ourselves with the suffering Christ on the cross.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Ecclesiastes 9-12

TEN PESOS

Bishop Felix Perez was the former bishop of the Diocese of Imus, Cavite. He immediately preceded Bp. Emmanuel Sobrevias and, the current Local Ordinary, Bp. Antonio Luis Tagle.
Bp. Perez’s passing away was rather untimely. As far as I can recall, he was just found dead in his room one day. He must have succumbed to a heart attack.
When his belongings were collected from the bishop’s residence, it was said that those who did the collecting found nothing that belonged to the good and holy bishop except his clothes, a few books, and some personal effects. To the surprise of many, they discovered that the bishop had practically nothing in his name. He did not even have a bank account. In his wallet, he had nothing but ten pesos. “Ten pesos was all that he had?” many asked in disbelief. But still many easily believed that ten pesos was all that Bp. Perez had because, no doubt, Bp. Perez lived very simply when he was still around.
But ten pesos was not all that the simple and holy bishop had. He had more than a zillion pesos. He had Jesus. Anyone who came to know him personally easily saw where Bp. Perez’s heart was. Jesus was not only his treasure; He was his only treasure. His genteel disposition, simple lifestyle, and love for the poor also showed that Bp. Perez was Jesus’ priceless treasure. Ten pesos left in his wallet, and nothing more in his name, was all that he left behind because even that he did not need. His heart belonged to Jesus and Jesus belonged to his heart. Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: What is in my wallet and what is in my heart?

Lord Jesus, I pray that I may always have You in my heart. But I pray even more that my heart be in You. May You always be my only treasure and may I be worthy enough to be Your priceless treasure, too. Amen.

St. Paulinus of Nola and St. Thomas More, bishop confessor and martyr, pray for us.

JUNE 23, 2007
SATURDAY

SIMPLE LOGIC

“Aren’t you worth much more than birds.” – Matthew 6:26

I lay on a mattress on the floor of my empty condo having “renter’s remorse.” Earlier that day, I had just signed a one-year contract to rent this one-bedroom unit. Alone in the darkness and spending my first night on my own, anxiety began to creep in.
What if I can’t sustain the expenses?
What if I get unforeseen costs that I wasn’t able to factor into my monthly budget?
What if I lost my other sources of income?
What if... ?
The questions were flooding like monsoon rain when an overpowering thought interrupted the barrage.
The Lord has never failed you even when you had other people you could depend on.
Why should He abandon you now when you’re on your own?
Immediately, God’s stillness invaded my heart and mind. And I fell into a peaceful sleep that first night.
When you’re afraid, uncertain, doubtful that the good you expect will indeed come to pass, just stop and think for a moment. If God takes care to feed the birds, why would He allow you to go hungry? It wouldn’t make sense, right?
Sometimes, faith is nothing but simple logic. Rissa S.

REFLECTION:
Are you glad to be human?

Your provision, Lord, knows no bounds.

1st READING

2 Corinthians 12:1-10

Paul knows that it is in our weakness that God’s strength and grace is most evident. This is because we know that we are out of our depth and that only God can see us through to the end in this particular situation. The challenge for us then is to grow in humility so that we can surrender our weaknesses to God and accept the fact that it is here that He will tend to work through us most powerfully.

1 I must boast; not that it is profitable, but I will go on to visions and revelations of the LORD. 2 I know someone in Christ who, fourteen years ago (whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows), was caught up to the third heaven. 3 And I know that this person (whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows) 4 was caught up into Paradise and heard ineffable things, which no one may utter. 5 About this person I will boast, but about myself I will not boast, except about my weaknesses. 6 Although if I should wish to boast, I would not be foolish, for I would be telling the truth. But I refrain, so that no one may think more of me than what he sees in me or hears from me 7 because of the abundance of the revelations. Therefore, that I might not become too elated, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, an angel of Satan, to beat me, to keep me from being too elated. 8 Three times I begged the LORD about this, that it might leave me, 9 but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. 10 Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

P S A L M

Psalm 34:8-9, 10-11, 12-13

R: Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.

7 [8] The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them. 8 [9] Taste and see how good the LORD is; blessed the man who takes refuge in him. (R) 9 [10] Fear the LORD, you his holy ones, for nought is lacking to those who fear him. 10 [11] The great grow poor and hungry; but those who seek the LORD want for no good thing. (R) 11 [12] Come, children, hear me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD. 12 [13] Which of you desires life, and takes delight in prosperous days? (R)

G O S P E L

Matthew 6:24-34

Jesus sets it out in plain terms here: it is not possible to serve two masters. One will always dominate the other. It does not have to be a matter of money and God; it can be anything else that distracts us from the primary call of our lives, which is to serve God. If we find ourselves with constant conflicts of schedule between our secular and religious doings, then perhaps it is time to once again re-examine our priorities. Jesus ensured that His focus in ministry was always the Kingdom of God. This is the example we must follow.

24 “No one can serve two masters. He will either hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. 25 Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat [or drink], or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you more important than they? 27 Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span? 28 Why are you anxious about clothes? Learn from the way the wild flowers grow. They do not work or spin. 29 But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was clothed like one of them. 30 If God so clothes the grass of the field, which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith? 31 So do not worry and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or ‘What are we to drink?’ or ‘What are we to wear?’ 32 All these things the pagans seek. Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides. 34 Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for a day is its own evil.”

my reflections
think: It is in our weakness that God’s strength and grace is most evident.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Songs 1-4

DIFFICULT BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE

Dr. Scott Peck, a renowned psychologist, wrote a book entitled, “The Road Less Traveled”. The first sentence of his book reads: “Life is difficult.” That first sentence is likewise the whole paragraph of the book’s first chapter. Life, indeed, is difficult. Jesus today, however tells us, “Worrying does not make it any less difficult.” On the contrary, worrying less makes our difficulties in life bearable. Faith in Divine Providence is the medicine for the endless worrier.
Worrying does not solve problems. It makes problems become even more complicated. Frequently, it even multiplies the problems already present.
Worrying does not correct mistakes. Many times, worrying causes panic and therefore more blunders that either aggravates mistakes already committed or create more mistakes or both. Worrying in itself is a big mistake.
Worrying does not add even a single say to one’s life. Instead, worrying kills. It causes heart ailments, ulcer, high blood pressure, and even cancer. Not a few die young because they worry about getting old.
But there is a legitimate worrying. The Lord certainly does not advocate a carefree life, much less a careless life. He wants us to plan for our future, to save for the rainy days, to have foresight so as not to end up in misery, to work for a decent and happy life. He wants us to take care of ourselves because He loves us. But He does not want us to worry to death because worrying to death is never taking care of our selves. We should never live carefree and careless lives. We should rather put all our cares in God because He cares for us. In our hands, life is difficult. In God’s hands, life is not impossible. Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: What are my worries in life?

Abba, I place my whole life into Your hands. I trust Your love for me. You will never abandon me. Yes, life is difficult, but we will go through it together. With You, all things are possible. Amen.

St. Joseph Cafasso, confessor, pray for us.

JUNE 24, 2007
SUNDAY

Solemnity of the Birth of John the Baptist

WHAT DRIVES YOU?

“What, then, will this child be?” – Luke 1:66

This is a true story. A young medical intern had the opportunity to observe an actual appendectomy procedure. This was performed by a doctor-surgeon who had been in the medical profession for a long time. After the surgery, the intern quizzically asked the doctor, “Doc, how come you removed the patient’s appendix when it didn’t look inflamed? It seems to me that this is not a case of appendicitis.” Not bothered by her question, the doctor replied, “You’re still very young and don’t know a lot of things. You need to learn the ropes regarding how to earn money in order for you to survive in this profession.”
When we were little children, we had our dreams of becoming somebody, someday. We dreamt of becoming doctors, nurses, lawyers, accountants, teachers, policemen and even the President of the Philippines. Some made their dreams come true. Others may have taken a different path but still became successful in their chosen fields.
Whatever we have become, the question still remains. Are we living up to our names and titles in our respective professions? Have we been faithful to our duties and our missions? Do we strive to be the exception rather than the norm? What drives you? Only you and God know the answer. Judith C.

REFLECTION:
Are your inner drives in tune with the Lord’s drive for you?

May I always remain true to Your calling for me.

1st READING

Isaiah 49:1-6

We are all called to be prophets of the Word of God, the Good News of salvation. Each of us should be aware of this calling and always looking for the opportunity to put it into action. Isaiah reflects that his experience is that his mouth has become a sharpened sword that speaks the truth when God calls on him to speak. Let us pray that we will never tire of speaking the truth into a world so confused as it is by the lies of sin and the devil. Let us pray for the light of the truth to shine through the word of the example of our lives and not just the spoken words of our mouths.

1 Hear me, O coastlands, listen, O distant peoples. The LORD called me from birth, from my mother’s womb he gave me my name. 2 He made of me a sharp-edged sword and concealed me in the shadow of his arm. He made me a polished arrow, in his quiver he hid me. 3 “You are my servant,” he said to me, “Israel, through whom I show my glory.” 4 Though I thought I had toiled in vain, and for nothing, uselessly, spent my strength, yet my reward is with the LORD, my recompense is with my God. 5 For now the LORD has spoken who formed me as his servant from the womb, that Jacob may be brought back to him and Israel gathered to him; and I am made glorious in the sight of the LORD, and my God is now my strength! 6 “It is too little,” he says, “for you to be my servant, to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and restore the survivors of Israel; I will make you a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.”

P S A L M

Psalm 139:1-3, 13-14, 14-15

R: I praise you for I am wonderfully made.

1 O LORD, you have probed me and you know me; 2 you know when I sit and when I stand; you understand my thoughts from afar. 3 My journeys and my rest you scrutinize, with all my ways you are familiar. (R) 13 Truly you have formed my inmost being; you knit me in my mother’s womb. 14 I give you thanks that I am fearfully, wonderfully made; wonderful are your works. (R) My soul also you knew full well; 15 nor was my frame unknown to you when I was made in secret, when I was fashioned in the depths of the earth. (R)

2nd READING

Acts 13:22-26

Repentance is a crucial aspect of our conversion to Jesus Christ. There is no true or lasting conversion without repentance of our sins. It can be hard and even embarrassing to confess our sins to the priest. Perhaps this is a good thing in that if we thought about it a bit more often, this embarrassment might even cause us to take greater steps to avoid sin in the first place! Now that would be a very good thing, would it not?

22 Then he removed him and raised up David as their king; of him he testified, ‘I have found David, son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will carry out my every wish.’ 23 From this man’s descendants God, according to his promise, has brought to Israel a savior, Jesus. 24 John heralded his coming by proclaiming a baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel; 25 and as John was completing his course, he would say, ‘What do you suppose that I am? I am not he. Behold, one is coming after me; I am not worthy to unfasten the sandals of his feet.’ 26 My brothers, children of the family of Abraham, and those others among you who are God-fearing, to us this Word of Salvation has been sent.

G O S P E L

Luke 1:57-66, 80

The signs around the birth of John the Baptist do indeed indicate that God has special plans for him. However, I believe that this is true of all of us. Every person is a miracle of the gift of new life and God loves us all and has plans for all of our lives. How committed are we to seeking out God’s Will for our lives? We cannot expect it to arrive as a text message or email from the Heavenly Center of God’s Will. No, I am not trying to be funny or silly! This is a life or death issue! It is important that we each take responsibility for discovering God’s Will for our lives.

57 When the time arrived for Elizabeth to have her child she gave birth to a son. 58 Her neighbors and relatives heard that the LORD had shown his great mercy toward her, and they rejoiced with her. 59 When they came on the eighth day to circumcise the child, they were going to call him Zechariah after his father, 60 but his mother said in reply, “No. He will be called John.” 61 But they answered her, “There is no one among your relatives who has this name.” 62 So they made signs, asking his father what he wished him to be called. 63 He asked for a tablet and wrote, “John is his name,” and all were amazed. 64 Immediately his mouth was opened, his tongue freed, and he spoke blessing God. 65 Then fear came upon all their neighbors, and all these matters were discussed throughout the hill country of Judea. 66 All who heard these things took them to heart, saying, “What, then, will this child be?” For surely the hand of the LORD was with him. 80 The child grew and became strong in spirit, and he was in the desert until the day of his manifestation to Israel.

my reflections
think: There is no true or lasting conversion without repentance of our sins.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Songs 5-8

SABBATH PAUSE

My weekly time with God

THANK YOU LIST

Things to be grateful for from the past week

SPECIAL NEEDS

Things to ask God for in the coming week

HIDDEN TREASURE

Most important word God told me this week

NOMEN EST OMEN

St. John the Baptist, martyr, pray for us.
Many Filipino fathers name their sons after them. When there is already a “junior,” they resort to “the third,” “the fourth,” and so forth and so on. My father was different. He did not want to name me after him. Funny but he reasoned out that if my name were similar to his and people badmouthed him, it would sound like they were badmouthing me.
Zechariah did not name his son after him. He named his son after God’s choice. “John” was God’s choice. It was not Zechariah who named his son after all. It was God who named his son. Zechariah simply wrote the name God gave his son. Very often, in the Bible, when God chooses a person for a special mission or a unique role, He gives that person a new name. Take for example, Abram became Abraham, Jacob became Israel, Levi became Matthew, and Simon became Peter. The mission or role is given in the name. As the Romans would say, "Nomen est omen ” (“The destiny is in the name”).
John’s name meant “God’s graciousness”. John fulfilled that role. He was God’s kindness to his otherwise old and barren parents. He was God’s favor upon the Jews, preparing them for the eventual coming of the Messiah. He was God’s compassion to the repentant sinners who came to him for baptism. He was God’s graciousness to us by testifying to the Christ in life and in death.
John’s mission was to bring about God’s graciousness. But what is ours? We may not be named “John” but we also go by the name “Christian,” do we not? Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: Do I live up to my name “Christian”?

Lord, I ask You to not only bless me; please make me Your blessing to others. I beg You to not only answer my prayers; please make me Your answer to the prayers of others. Each day, may I live up to the mission and role You gave me at baptism. May I be a true Christian at all times, in all places, and to all people. Amen.

JUNE 25, 2007
MONDAY

PROJECTIONS

“Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye?” – Matthew 7:3

“Projection, your honor!”

My friend, who works as a facilitator for psycho-spiritual seminars, humorously and teasingly drops this statement whenever he catches other friends venting about other people. You see, projection is one of those things we unconsciously do when we criticize those around us. Not in every instance, of course, but many times we “project” so many of our own insecurities on other people. At some level, what we don’t like about other people are what we don’t like about ourselves.
My friend calls perpetuating this kind of negativity as doing the “ABCs” – accusing, blaming and criticizing. These are common and easy scapegoats for the things that go wrong with our lives. It’s always easier to blame external circumstances than it is to realize that our lives are essentially the products of our choices. We point fingers at the traffic, the government, our bosses, our parents, our co-workers, the dog, the list goes on and on.... It’s always something or somebody else’s fault, and therefore somebody else’s responsibility. Let us remember that responsibility for one’s actions is a mark of a true Christian. Cotics C.

REFLECTION:
Have you been doing the ABCs? Your life is a product of your choices. Choose well!

Lord, help me know myself. Help me discover You by finding myself.

1st READING

Genesis 12:1-9

With the proto-history complete, the redactor of Genesis seeks to begin the story of God’s Election of the Chosen People who would come to be known as the Israelites. Abram is called forth from Ur and told to place his life in the hands of a God who will lead him to a new place where he will have land, progeny and blessing. These three promises provide a framework within which to interpret the Old Testament. It is only in Jesus that they will be definitively fulfilled, and even then only to those with faith in Christ.

1 The LORD said to Abram: “Go forth from the land of your kinsfolk and from your father’s house to a land that I will show you. 2 I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. 3 “I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you. All the communities of the earth shall find blessing in you.” 4 Abram went as the LORD directed him, and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he left Haran. 5 Abram took his wife Sarai, his brother’s son Lot, all the possessions that they had accumulated, and the persons they had acquired in Haran, and they set out for the land of Canaan. When they came to the land of Canaan, 6 Abram passed through the land as far as the sacred place at Shechem, by the terebinth of Moreh. (The Canaanites were then in the land.) 7 The LORD appeared to Abram and said, “To your descendants I will give this land.” So Abram built an altar there to the LORD who had appeared to him. 8 From there he moved on to the hill country east of Bethel, pitching his tent with Bethel to the west and Ai to the east. He built an altar there to the LORD and invoked the LORD by name. 9 Then Abram journeyed on by stages to the Negeb.

P S A L M

Psalm 33:12-13, 18-19, 20, 22

R: Blessed the people the Lord has chosen to be his own.

12 Blessed the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he has chosen for his own inheritance. 13 From heaven the LORD looks down; he sees all mankind. (R) 18 See, the eyes of the LORD are upon those who fear him, upon those who hope for his kindness, 19 to deliver them from death and preserve them in spite of famine. (R) 20 Our soul waits for the LORD, who is our help and our shield. 22 May your kindness, O LORD, be upon us who have put our hope in you. (R)

G O S P E L

Matthew 7:1-5

Casting judgment on another is an inherently dangerous practice as such an act immediately sets the standard with which one invites judgment upon one’s own actions. Any understanding less than this is tantamount to hypocrisy. The challenge that faces us is one that can be placed in the following way: Be sure to see that one’s own life is free of sin before setting out to accuse others of sin. Or in the words of an old adage: “Practice what you preach” or else keep quiet.

1 “Stop judging, that you may not be judged. 2 For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you. 3 Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove that splinter from your eye,’ while the wooden beam is in your eye? 5 You hypocrite, remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother’s eye.”

my reflections
think: “Practice what you preach” or else keep quiet.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Wisdom 1-3

NOT A CLOSED BOOK

It would be difficult to go about our day-to-day affairs without having an impression on things and people. We need to be able to somehow predict how things react and how people respond so that we may know how to react and respond ourselves as well Impressions are judgments. But Jesus today tells us that we should not judge others.
The kind of judging others that Jesus tells us to refrain from is the kind that considers anyone as a closed book. While we may have temporary judgment on others to be able to relate with them, we should never condemn any person to his past neither to his present. Every person deserves a future that may surprise us more than him. Past sins may be repented from and forgiven. Present mistakes may be corrected and learned from.
Each of us is a mystery. We continue to unravel our selves each day. I read a poster once that said, “Please be patient with me. God is not finished with me yet.” Each of us is God’s creation at work. Never close the book on anyone.
For Jesus, no one is a lost cause. Indeed, He is the Good Shepherd who searches for every lost sheep; and when even only one sheep is lost, He goes out of His way and leaves the ninety-nine to find the lost one. He does not say, “Well, it is the sheep’s fault why it is lost. I told it so. I told it so. But it disobeyed me nonetheless. Let it find its way back to the fold on its own.” No, these words can never come from the man we call “Christ.” Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: Have I judged anyone as a hopeless case?

Lord Jesus, You are our Good Shepherd, share with me Your steadfast optimism on the goodness of every man and every woman. May I never consider anyone as a
closed book. Teach me to appreciate everyone as a precious gift from You that unwraps himself each day. Thank You, Jesus, for I am Your precious gift to others too. Amen.

St. William of Monte Vergine, abbot confessor, pray for us.

JUNE 26, 2007
TUESDAY

LOT

Lot looked about and saw... – Genesis13:10

I remember having this discussion with a classmate in Social Sciences several years ago. We were grappling with how different groups “package” religion, its core message of salvation and its promises. Of course, Christianity was one of the more prominent topics.
He went on saying that, on one hand, there are poverty-fixated groups who advocate shedding yourself of all material things. These groups see money and wealth as evil and will do anything to smell filthy and identify themselves with the poor – given that heavenly rewards and riches await them in the next life.
On the other hand, you have the “prosperity preachers” who are so hung up on receiving God’s blessing that all they do is pray for it and do nothing. Lot obviously was a man who thought of himself first. Without considering how his valley choice would later be a bane given the lifestyles of his neighbors, he left Abraham with the rugged hill country. His greed and selfishness kept him from putting his family’s welfare and safety first. Let’s start focusing on what really matters – our family and our relationship with God. Once we have gotten this act together, a genuine desire for prosperity to enable us to alleviate poverty will come naturally. Then I guess the discussion on a rich or poor gospel will be rendered pointless. Roy M.

REFLECTION:

What really matters to you?

Make us wealthy, Lord, in the things that really matter.

1st READING

Genesis 13:2, 5-18

Abram decides that generosity to his kinsfolk is a far better choice than disagreement and disharmony. This is a great example for us to consider particularly when family disputes arise. So much disagreement and bitterness in our experience of family life stems from very easily defused situations, particularly if one is ready to err on the side of generosity when a dispute arises. To paraphrase the Scriptures: ‘What will it benefit anyone to gain material wealth or fame if it costs us our family relationships?’

2 Now Abram was very rich in livestock, silver, and gold. 5 Lot, who went with Abram, also had flocks and herds and tents, 6 so that the land could not support them if they stayed together; their possessions were so great that they could not dwell together. 7 There were quarrels between the herdsmen of Abram’s livestock and those of Lot’s. (At this time the Canaanites and the Perizzites were occupying the land.) 8 So Abram said to Lot: “Let there be no strife between you and me, or between your herdsmen and mine, for we are kinsmen. 9 Is not the whole land at your disposal? Please separate from me. If you prefer the left, I will go to the right; if you prefer the right, I will go to the left.” 10 Lot looked about and saw how well watered the whole Jordan Plain was as far as Zoar, like the LORD’s own garden, or like Egypt. (This was before the LORD had destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.) 11 Lot, therefore, chose for himself the whole Jordan Plain and set out eastward. Thus they separated from each other; 12 Abram stayed in the land of Canaan, while Lot settled among the cities of the Plain, pitching his tents near Sodom. 13 Now the inhabitants of Sodom were very wicked in the sins they committed against the LORD. 14 After Lot had left, the LORD said to Abram: “Look about you, and from where you are, gaze to the north and south, east and west; 15 all the land that you see I will give to you and your descendants forever. 16 I will make your descendants like the dust of the earth; if anyone could count the dust of the earth, your descendants too might be counted. 17 Set forth and walk about in the land, through its length and breadth, for to you I will give it.” 18 Abram moved his tents and went on to settle near the terebinth of Mamre, which is at Hebron. There he built an altar to the LORD.

P S A L M

Psalm 15:2-3, 3-4, 5

R: He who does justice will live in the presence of the Lord.

2 He who walks blamelessly and does justice; who thinks the truth in his heart 3 and slanders not with his tongue. (R) Who harms not his fellow man, nor takes up a reproach against his neighbor; 4 by whom the reprobate is despised, while he honors those who fear the LORD. (R) 5 Who lends not his money at usury and accepts no bribe against the innocent. He who does these things shall never be disturbed. (R)

G O S P E L

Matthew 7:6, 12-14

I suppose that there comes a time when we have to leave a person to their conscience when we run out of ideas on how to present the Gospel to them. We do not have an unending responsibility to persevere until we see conversion if the recipient is going to continue to reject our advances of the Good News. Enough is enough! Sometimes we have to turn away and direct our energy and efforts to more fruitful endeavors if we have come up against the proverbial brick wall.

6 “Do not give what is holy to dogs, or throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them underfoot, and turn and tear you to pieces. 12 Do to others whatever you would have them do to you. This is the law and the prophets. 13 “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many. 14 How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few.”

my reflections
think: What will it benefit anyone to gain material wealth or fame if it costs us our family relationships?

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Wisdom 4-6

ENTERING THROUGH THE NARROW GATE

What is beyond heaven’s gate? A totally whole new world. Not only a better world, but the best world.
The gate that leads to heaven is narrow though. If we want to enter through it, what should we do?
When the gate is narrow, we should not rush getting through it. We must pause and discern before we move. We must be able to stop from our busy lives and discern the ways of the Lord because we can enter through heaven’s gate only through the Lord’s ways.
When the gate is narrow, we must enter it alone. Of course, no one can enter the gate for us. We ourselves must enter through it. But entering heaven’s gate alone does not only mean that. Entering heaven’s gate alone means that we hold on to nothing and no one. Too much baggage and attachments hinder anyone from entering through heaven’s narrow gate. We need to learn the spiritual art of detachment as we strive to cling to the Lord alone.
When the gate is narrow, we may have to shed off some body fat. We may try sideways, but still we cannot enter it if our tummy bulges. The same is true with entering heaven’s narrow gate. Our body fat may symbolize our selfindulgences. We need to go on a spiritual kind of dieting that demands spiritual discipline.
Discernment, detachment, and diet – these three recommendations certainly help anyone go through a narrow gate. As far as heaven’s narrow gate is concerned, prayer, almsgiving or charitable works, and fasting may well take the definite forms of discernment, detachment, and diet. Discernment happens in prayer. Detachment means letting go and sharing with others what we have. Diet can be a spiritual discipline in the form of fasting that involves not exclusively and not always food.
Entering a narrow gate is indeed difficult but not impossible. Entering through heaven’s narrow gate is impossible for man but not for God. Heaven is always God’s gift; and it always pleases the Father to give us the Kingdom. But still, we must enter through its narrow gate. Fr.Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: What have I been doing so far to be able to enter through heaven’s narrow gate?

Father God, it pleases You to give us the Kingdom. But You rather not force us to get beyond its gates unless we really want to. Because we want to live with You in Your Kingdom, please help us struggle our way through its narrow gate. For us, it is impossible. But for You, all things are possible. Amen.

St. Josemaria Escrova de Balaguer, priest, pray for us.

JUNE 27, 2007
WEDNESDAY

GOD IS AT WORK

“Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.” – Matthew 7:19

“Are we going to have a prayer meeting on Monday, Ma’am Tess?” My officemates
asked. “Let’s just have a short prayer and then proceed with the business meeting,” I replied. It was a test.
They’ve been used to having first-Mondayof- the-month prayer meetings for more than three years now. But the number of attendees had been dwindling in the past months, despite the fact that the meetings are held during office hours. Participation of those who attend seemed lukewarm.
I conducted a survey, and the results revealed that majority still want to continue with the monthly prayer meetings. I organized ministries to handle the different functions. Many volunteered. There were suggestions on how to improve the quality of our prayer
meetings.
It was so clear that the Lord still had work to do in our office. “Lord, let your work bear fruit,” I prayed as I offered myself to be used as His instrument. Often, that’s all He asks of us. TessVA.

REFLECTION:
Even if things seem hopeless, God is at work. Just trust.

Lord, help me to always believe that You are present in everything and in everyone, doing Your work silently.

1st READING

Genesis 15:1-12, 17-18

The ancient texts of all religions are often focused upon the begetting of children as it is only through descendants that one’s line can be assured for future generations. This is what the Old Testament is full of, and even two of the four Gospels begin with genealogies. This concern for continuity reveals to us the importance of remembering our roots and remaining faithful to them. The promises God makes to Abram form the basis of the faith of the Jews even up until this day.

1 Some time after these events, this word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision: “Fear not, Abram! I am your shield; I will make your reward very great.” 2 But Abram said, “O LORD GOD, what good will your gifts be, if I keep on being childless and have as my heir the steward of my house, Eliezer?” 3 Abram continued, “See, you have given me no offspring, and so one of my servants will be my heir.” 4 Then the word of the LORD came to him: “No, that one shall not be your heir; your own issue shall be your heir.” 5 He took him outside and said: “Look up at the sky and count the stars, if you can. Just so,” he added, “shall your descendants be.” 6 Abram put his faith in the LORD, who credited it to him as an act of righteousness. 7 He then said to him, “I am the LORD who brought you from Ur of the Chaldeans to give you this land as a possession.” 8 “O Lord GOD,” Abram asked, “How am I to know that I shall possess it?” 9 He answered him, “Bring me a three-year-old heifer, a three-year-old she-goat, a three-year-old ram, a turtledove, and a young pigeon.” 10 Abram brought him all these, split them in two, and placed each half opposite the other; but the birds he did not cut up. 11 Birds of prey swooped down on the carcasses, but Abram stayed with them. 12 As the sun was about to set, a trance fell upon Abram, and a deep, terrifying darkness enveloped him. 17 When the sun had set and it was dark, there appeared a smoking brazier and a flaming torch, which passed between those pieces. 18 It was on that occasion that the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying: “To your descendants I give this land, from the Wadi of Egypt to the Great River the Euphrates.”

P S A L M

Psalm 105: 1-2, 3-4, 6-7, 8-9

R: The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.

1 Give thanks to the LORD, invoke his name; make known among the nations his deeds. 2 Sing to him, sing his praise, proclaim all his wondrous deeds. (R) 3 Glory in his holy name; rejoice, O hearts that seek the LORD! 4 Look to the LORD in his strength; seek to serve him constantly. (R) 6 You descendants of Abraham, his servants, sons of Jacob, his chosen ones! 7 He, the LORD, is our God; throughout the earth his judgments prevail. (R) 8 He remembers forever his covenant which he made binding for a thousand generations — 9 which he entered into with Abraham and by his oath to Isaac. (R)

G O S P E L

Matthew 7:15-20

We are never far from sin wherever we may be in our Christian journey. I am not saying that sin is inevitable, but that there are so many different views regarding life, right and wrong and so on in today’s world that it can be a very difficult journey to travel. The late Karl Rahner S.J. once wrote that he thought that “it is harder today than ever before to know and do what is right.” This may be a comforting thought from one perspective but more importantly it expresses the need we have for the help of the Holy Spirit to guide us through the maze of options out there in the world.

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but underneath are ravenous wolves. 16 By their fruits you will know them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Just so, every good tree bears good fruit, and a rotten tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a rotten tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 So by their fruits you will know them.”

my reflections
think: We are never far from sin wherever we may be in our Christian journey.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Wisdom 7-10

DISCERN ALWAYS

In the Ignatian Discernment of Spirits, we are warned to be careful about attributing something to the bad spirit or good spirit. But St. Ignatius is quick to say that while the bad spirit may disguise itself to be a good spirit, the bad spirit can never produce anything good. Only the good spirit may yield something good always.
Satan is not only the Prince of Darkness; he is also the Father of lies. He has the ability to disguise himself and appear good in the outside. He can certainly be a wolf in sheep’s clothing.
Come to think of it, how can Satan attract people to himself if he shows himself disgusting and evil? While he does sometimes reveal himself in his real monstrous appearance, more often than not his manifestations are subtle and even enticing. He is the master of deception, is he not?
We must be vigilant. Grapes do not grow in thorn bushes. Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: Do I discern what spirit governs my life each day?

Father, ignite the presence of the Holy Spirit in us so that He may help us discern what is good and what is evil, what is true and what is false, what is godly and what is mundane. May the fire of the Holy Spirit within us keep us vigilant and by His power may we never be led astray from the way of Jesus Christ, Your Son and our Lord, now and forever. Amen.

St. Cyril of Alexandria, bishop confessor, pray for us.

Back
Top Bottom