Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Guide on how to manage your Router's QoS (Quality of Service) + NetCut

ziphynx

Symbianize Elder
Advanced Member
Reaction score
Are you suffering from a very laggy internet connection because someone in your network is watching youtube or other video streaming sites or downloading a very large file? Ok here’s my solution…

This tutorial works and tested if your network is in a router…

First of all, this is my idea of a router: Whenever you and anyone are connected in a router, your internet speed would be equal, depending on the distance of the router to the device you are using. So if someone is downloading a large file over the network it would drastically decrease the other user’s internet speed. So how do we solve this problem?

Simple as this… Do you know QoS or the Quality of Service?

Definition: QoS (Quality of Service) refers to a broad collection of networking technologies and techniques. The goal of QoS is to provide guarantees on the ability of a network to deliver predictable results. Elements of network performance within the scope of QoS often include availability (uptime), bandwidth (throughput), latency (delay), and error rate.
QoS involves prioritization of network traffic. QoS can be targeted at a network interface, toward a given server or router's performance, or in terms of specific applications. A network monitoring system must typically be deployed as part of QoS, to insure that networks are performing at the desired level.
QoS is especially important for the new generation of Internet applications such as VoIP, video-on-demand and other consumer services. Some core networking technologies like Ethernet were not designed to support prioritized traffic or guaranteed performance levels, making it much more difficult to implement QoS solutions across the Internet.

Source: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/networkdesign/g/bldef_qos.htm

Well for a short description, QoS helps you manage your internet speed distribution in a network. You can adjust/set how much internet speed would be given to you and the other users in a router.

Basically every router has a general setting which you can edit, like the security password for WEP and etc. You can access the setting by typing in something like 192.168.x.x in your internet browser. (You should know your router’s IP)

This will only serve as a guide on how does QoS works on a router and how to manage it properly. It is your job to explore and test your router's functions.
Here’s a detailed info on how will I edit my QoS, with pictures included:

First of all, type in your router’s IP address in your internet browser.

attachment.php

You can now access the router’s settings, look for the General Setup.

attachment.php

Click on the QoS

attachment.php

Then the QoS setting will show up and you can now be able to add or edit your internet speed allocation.

So here’s a sample view of the QoS…

attachment.php

Click on add to make a new speed allocation.

attachment.php

The most important here in adding a new Rule is the “Bandwidth” and the “IP address”.
The bandwidth will be the given internet speed for a certain IP address/addresses.

So how much bandwidth do I have? This is the hardest thing to know for me because I’m using Smart Bro Canopy Plan which is very hard to know when I will have the full internet speed of 2mbps or 2000 kbps. In different times of the day, Smart Bro changes its speed from 2mbps to 700kbps, 800kbps, 1mbps, 1.5mbps, etc. So the very first thing I always do is to speedtest my internet connection at www.speedtest.net so I will have the idea on how much is my internet speed. I think Smart Bro changes speed depending on the traffic over their network.

Note: If you are in a DSL line like PLDT MyDSL, you will never suffer for this changing speed like Smart Bro.

So now you know the internet speed of yours, then we’ll setup the speed allocation for every users of your router…
• Set the name
• Limit the bandwidth
• Type in the IP address of a certain user in your router
• Leave the Traffic Type to 'None' and the Protocol to 'TCP'

Now, how will you know your IP?
You can see your IP address in your Local Area Connection Status in your taskbar or you can use this software…

The Wireless Network Watcher by cfmuser http://www.symbianize.com/showthread.php?t=524302

I’m doing this everyday because your IP changes sometimes everyday because your router automatically assigns an IP on each login you made. The first device that opens will be set to the first IP in the list.

For example the list would be 192.168.2.100 - 192.168.2.200
The first computer that opens will be 192.168.2.100
The second would be 192.168.2.101
Etc

Using this software you could be able to see who’s connected to your router/network, and then you can manipulate each IP’s internet speed using the QoS. So your IP would be the highest, then your cousin is the second or whatever you liked to.

You can set only one IP for every Rule or set a range of IP’s like this sample in 2mbps speed…
My Net (192.168.2.100) = 1000kbps Guarantee
My Cousin (192.168.2.101) = 800kbps Guarantee
Other (192.168.2.102 - 192.168.2.200) = 200kbps Maximum
“My Net” and “My Cousin” will be the priority connections and the “Other” is most likely Wifi access on your router.

“It is very important for me for having the “Other” setting, because having this makes me sure that if someone if ‘stealing’ my Wifi, then I would be happy if I only share them 200kbps of speed.”
After you set all of the Rules or the IP settings, then you can now click on apply to make the changes you made.

attachment.php

That’s all!!! I hope you liked it…

edit:
My new setup...
Tita = 220 kbps Guarantee
Mynet = 330 kbps Guarantee
Other = 100 kbps Maximum

I have this new setup because of the capping done by Smart Bro on a different time of the day, mostly 500 kbps - 600 kbps is the lowest capped speed. So I decided to set the QoS to the lowest given speed by Smart so by the time capping happens, it will distribute the speed accurately in my router's network. But when the speed bumps higher than my speed setup or greater than 600 kbps, then the exceeding speed will be automatically divided and assigned by the router. I suggest that if you have this kind of capping, then follow this rules.

pag naka router na kayo dapat yung DNS nyo is yung Default Gateway nyo at pwede rin yung binigay ni ISP nyo kapag naka direct sa PC nyo.

Why? dahil tumataas ang PING kapag iba ang inilagay nyo.

gaya ng 8.8.8.8 - 8.8.4.4

from 16 PING naging 75 PING yung sakin...

Yan ay saking sariling experience, pero kung ok naman sa inyo ang ganyang mga DNS then GO.

================================================​

Netcut - Useful tool to be able to manage connections in your WIFI. Enables you to cut unwanted connections...

Netcut Defender http://www.arcai.com/netcut-defender-faq.html- The only one tool can 100% guaranteed success protect you and your user away from arcai.com's netcut cut (or alike) ARP SPOOFing.

Attachments

• IP.jpg
    IP.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 20,785
  • GS.jpg
    GS.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 20,402
  • apply.jpg
    apply.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 20,343
  • Add.jpg
    Add.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 20,334
  • QOS.jpg
    QOS.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 20,443
  • QoSin.jpg
    QoSin.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 20,597
Last edited:
Re: Manage your networks QoS (Quality of Service)

up....

astig ty tol

ayos to sir.. kaso wala akong qos sa cdr king router..

pa try nito ts. thanks dito

pano naman kapag usb stick lang? pwede ba to?

Panu kapag direct connection tol?

ayos to sir.. kaso wala akong qos sa cdr king router..

yun lang... pero kung gusto mo na meron QoS ang router mo, just ask the salesperson na bibilan mo... and if you really need this tutorial to be effective then go buy a new one or if happy ka sa router mo ngayon and mabilis pa rin connection mo kahit naghahati kayo sa network ok na yun...

pano naman kapag usb stick lang? pwede ba to?

mukang hindi pwede yun, dahil pang single computer lang ata ang USB stick.. and this tutorial only applies if you are using a router... yun pa lang na try ko...

Panu kapag direct connection tol?

what do you mean direct connection? so solo lang ang connection and wala kang network? kelangan po may router ka...

good to know. :thanks:

yun lang... pero kung gusto mo na meron QoS ang router mo, just ask the salesperson na bibilan mo... and if you really need this tutorial to be effective then go buy a new one or if happy ka sa router mo ngayon and mabilis pa rin connection mo kahit naghahati kayo sa network ok na yun...

ok sir.. thanks sa pagshare.. ayos na ayos to lalo na kung heavy user ang kasama mo.. ako kasi ang admin eh.. hahaha pag pansin ko na mabagal na ang download ko eh dinidisconnect ko na lang para pareparehas na lang na walang net.. hahahaha

or baka may alam ka sir na pangblock ng lahat ng proxysites.. :) youtube lang iyong blinock ko.. eh puwede naman siya maacess gamit ang mga proxy..

ok sir.. thanks sa pagshare.. ayos na ayos to lalo na kung heavy user ang kasama mo.. ako kasi ang admin eh.. hahaha pag pansin ko na mabagal na ang download ko eh dinidisconnect ko na lang para pareparehas na lang na walang net.. hahahaha

or baka may alam ka sir na pangblock ng lahat ng proxysites.. :) youtube lang iyong blinock ko.. eh puwede naman siya maacess gamit ang mga proxy..

wala ako idea eh...

up....

taas...

ok sir.. thanks! :)

may qos ba ang mga tomato routers sir?

papost naman iyong mdoel ng router mo.. :)

ts ano wifi router mo?

ok sir.. thanks! :)

may qos ba ang mga tomato routers sir?

papost naman iyong mdoel ng router mo.. :)

meron rin po yata yung tomato, nakita ko kay google...

ts ano wifi router mo?

my routers model is "Edimax BR-6428nS" po, yung nandyan sa picture sample...

meron rin po yata yung tomato, nakita ko kay google...

my routers model is "Edimax BR-6428nS" po, yung nandyan sa picture sample...

ts ganito ba router mo?
front-1.jpg

napapalitan ba antenna nya?

salamat sa pagsagot ts..

@kenstrife puwede siguro sir.. may nabibili sa cdr king na mga wifi antenna..

ganyan nga...

ts di mo naman sinagot yung kung natatanggal antenna nya? para pwede mapalitan ng mas mataas na dbi
naghahanap kasi ako ng pamalit sa router ko

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom