Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Report: Nintendo can brick your 3DS via firmware updates

Akatsuki1

Professional
Advanced Member
Reaction score
If you're planning of using flashcarts to play illegal downloaded ROMs in your 3DS, well you better think again!

A Japanese retailer Enterking has posted a firm warning to customers on their website that states: "Dear customers who resell Nintendo 3DS," reads the translated note.

"Non purchase able 3DS system.

"In case if you use equipment which is illegal or unapproved by Nintendo or if you do customization which is unapproved by Nintendo, there is a possibility that Nintendo 3DS become non bootable by system update." "From Nintendo 3DS terms of agreement "Because of terms of agreement above, Enterking refuses to buy 3DS system with record of illegal or unapproved equipment. "Request to format before you sell "To protect from leaking your personal and internet connection information, we ask customer to format system. In case purchasing could not be established after you format 3DS system, Enterking is not responsible for lost datas and settings. Please understand before you format." When quizzed about the issue, a Nintendo spokesperson told Eurogamer: "We do not discuss product security details (for obvious reasons), nor can we discuss the details of countermeasures available in the Nintendo 3DS system. Nintendo 3DS has the most up-to-date technology. The security has been designed to protect both the creative works in the software and to protect the Nintendo 3DS hardware system itself." Nintendo 3DS is slated to arrive later this month.

Source: www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-07-nintendo-3ds-logs-flash-cart-use

as expected from Nintendo. same issue goes with NDSi, i'm using NDSi LL w/c have the option to download software updates from Nintendo kpag nag update ka ng firmware from them will render your NDS not to read downloadable NDS games; unfortunately i dont use my NDS to surf the net. lol!

Let's wait for further updates. Most of Nintendo games had been pirated eversince NES upto Wii.

there's a possibility, but bricking only happens if you mess with the device's firmware. i suppose that's how they got DS flashcarts to work then, by replacing the firmware, pero eventually all will be done in the cart itself. by then, firmware updates will no longer carry risks of bricking. it's just a matter of whether the cart will work or not.

and if Nintendo actively bricked 3DS through firmware updates, they'd potentially be liable for sabotage. remember, customers paid for their units. it's entirely up to them what to do with it. it's not like they're renting/leasing the units from Nintendo.

Last edited:
actually, the "brick" process happens when during an update process if the upgrade is interupted or incomplete; if wrong software (unauthorize, not compatible or corrupted) is installed in the unit; wrong manipulation of FLASH 0. it happens on all devices like psp, mobile phones, LCD/LED tv's and Bluray players, any devices that's requires firmware updates.

Let's say Nintendo (or any company like SONY) provides firmware upgrades and if they don't have any intention to brick our units if the update process is interupted or incomplete (like nag lowbatt or auto shut off) it's a big possibility to have the unit "bricked" due to customers handling or usage. (that's why meron silang disclaimer and if you agree to their terms and condition before the update starts)

it's really big and complicated issue specially when you work for technical and customer service and dealing with customer educating them the process.

Reality bites. tama or mali si customer... "Customer is always right."

Last edited:
i agree dapat nga i-educate ang mga customers para alam nila yung consequences.

for example:

sabi ng sony UAE, mawawala daw ang warranty ng isang psp dito sa middle east kapag na modify na kaya na tanong ko yung friend ko paano kung needed na mag update ng firmware para malaro yung latest na games? eh di wala na ang warranty? sabi niya ask pa daw niya sa manager nila.

i agree dapat nga i-educate ang mga customers para alam nila yung consequences.

for example:

sabi ng sony UAE, mawawala daw ang warranty ng isang psp dito sa middle east kapag na modify na kaya na tanong ko yung friend ko paano kung needed na mag update ng firmware para malaro yung latest na games? eh di wala na ang warranty? sabi niya ask pa daw niya sa manager nila.
under Sony's terms and condition firmware upgrades should be done using Sony's official firmware, if they found out it's been modified by unknown software (CFW) and causes "brick" or hardware malfunctions to the psp units that's where the warranty will be void. Though some retailer store's offer ownership to the psp units if they carry or sells modified psp, meron silang sariling 3rd party technicians to repair the units.

Back
Top Bottom