Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Atheists and Agnostics Meeting Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
nabasa ko lang at gusto ko lang i-share sa inyo
medyo gusto ko ang paliwanag nya.....

Here is my position (short version).

All religions and all gods are human creations. As a human tool that is a major contributor to organizing societies, we need to hold the various humans who are using it responsible for the actions they take under religion’s mantle. Religion, any religion, can be a positive contributor, such as the story of JHWH stopping Abraham’s sacrifice of his son Isaac at a time when child sacrifice was a fairly common act (and often a matter of “birth control”). This religious myth did much to end this practice. It can be also be a cause of extremely negative actions such as when JHWH evolved in the thinking of a group of Bedouins and escaped Egyptian slaves as justifying their invasion of Canaan by killing off the previous inhabitants, who worshipped Baal.

I am using these examples because they are two of the oldest stories in Western Civilization and therefore easily recognizable to those of us in Western society. (In itself this shows how religion is a human tool.)

This is the view that is the main reason I am an atheist. Any belief that is not based in observable fact and reality has at its base a weakness that will be rightfully exploited by those opposing its actions and manipulated by those who use it for their own purposes.
I do understand that all societies require myth to exist due to the fact that no one individual can master the entire body of knowledge that exists. IMO the myths that allow modern society to function are the belief that humans are rational; freedom of the individual to make their own choices and live their own life in a dignified manner; and the competing myths of have equality of opportunity; or all humans having the right to a secure existence both physically and economically. (This list may not be all inclusive; I’m keeping my options open. grin ) Now as with all myths, whether they are regarded as religious or secular, these are ideals to be achieved, standards to be measured against, they are not necessarily the facts on the ground.

These ideals also have their own weakness as they underestimate the value of community to the welfare of humans. Humans evolved as a cooperative species and today’s often overwhelming individualism seems to me contrary at times to the best interest of our species. What kind of people are we becoming when we send our children out of the family to “preschool” when they are two to three years old, then to school until they are in their mid-twenties constantly moving them from one place to another as we pursue our jobs and “economic intrests and advancement” all over the world as individuals, this and the constant coupling and separation of adults ensures that few of us establish long term friendships and relationships. This continues on until we reach an age where we are no longer are able to care for ourselves and the children we have “raised” and are now following their own carrers as independent adults and who really don’t know us, warehouse us in “retirement communities” with strangers who like us are waiting only for death.

I do worry at times we atheists are giving up the use of a tool that can be extremely useful to society even if like most tools it can be used for evil and well as good purposes.

credit goes to Mr. Gary

I just don't like the last part.....

Last edited:
Don't hate people but hate the bad things that they do. Generalization is a dangerous thing Muslim preachers do, but please avoid that and instead focus on specific issues whenever possible.

I actively engage Symbianize religion followers especially Muslims who preach they are the "only truth" and react if they demean the beliefs of infidels. But not all Muslims are like that. I have a Muslim boss, and they (all managers are Muslims) are really treating us very well and respect even our religious holidays and/or concerns.

hi sir, =)
sorry for stereotyping ,
it is really good to hear that your bosses greet you when holidays, regarding actions , mostly they are violent when others making of fun of their prophet, but look how they bash, others belief and claim they are the truth, ;) , i bet they don't know what "Golden Rule" is, respect begets respect, tnx for the advice, =) tnt

Last edited:
hi sir , tanong lang sa mga Atheists and Agnostics,

what do you think will happen to you when you die?

the classic answer is that what an atheist believes that people will experience after death will be exactly the same as what they experience before birth. Some people say that is nothingness

total darkness, eternal sleep, unconsciousness.
this is what most theists fear, but its a fact that remains

and that fear is why people invent stories and why other people WANT to believe those stories

"I want to believe" is the tagline of agent fox mulder

Good Morning, =)
what is your insights about FOI bill?
dapat ba ipasa o hindi

attachment.php

fact? i don't know about that..

since wala pa naman nakapagreport after nila mamatay..

knifoo, survey ka ng malaman mo hehe.

opinyon ko lang siguro bias kung sasabihin natin mga theist lang ang may thanatophobia , i expect there are few non-believers that have this kind of phobia , marami dapat i-consider na factors siguro :lol: , just my two cents

sleeping pwede siguro iconsider na death experienced,kasi wala ka malay at hindi mo alam ano nangyayari paligid mo habang mahimbing yung tulog.tama ba ako?yung mga nakaexperience din ng comatose.:noidea:

yep most probably, but death is different.
your consciousness, sensation, subconsciousness, brain activity..
is nothing.
pcruztemp is right what you are before you're born is the same at the time of death

knifoo, survey ka ng malaman mo hehe.

opinyon ko lang siguro bias kung sasabihin natin mga theist lang ang may thanatophobia , i expect there are few non-believers that have this kind of phobia , marami dapat i-consider na factors siguro :lol: , just my two cents

hmmm... I don't remember anyone saying na theist lang ang takot sa death,

sa tingin ko nga mas matapang ang ilang theist regarding this matter kasi some of them face it head on...

its not the fear of death, its the fear of what awaits them at death :pizza:

how about we ask the audience if they really fear death?
does anybody had experience facing death?

I got tired of "these" people messing up my threads, so any volunteer?
I'm willing to share my near death experiences a two or three

Last edited:
nah....

maybe other members will give it a shot.

I'm not interested in creating a new thread for this stuff.....

reports indicating near brain death experienced nothing, so that's why

the problem is "near death" is way different than death..

so I don't see the reason para sabihin fact na yung

"total darkness, eternal sleep, unconsciousness. "

ang death..

para sakin "We don't know" is still the more accurate answer..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom