Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Atheists and Agnostics Meeting Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe. Good all the same then.

No, not Raon, man. It looks kinda more established. A few acquaintances have tried tried and they like it. Still others are on the way. Will send you the details soon as I have them.

For all it's worth, here's something that I wantonly lifted off somewhere...and apologies if this is had been posted previously.

A few weeks ago a video with an ex-pastor's speech was posted on this subreddit which explains it rather well.

"If a man were to kill your family, kill your pets, burn your house down and then follow you around for years doing everything he could to cause you misery, what would you call him? A monster, evil, a criminal, most people would call him that. But when god does the same thing to Job all because of a wager with the devil then great contortions are made as to argue why in this case it was the right thing to do.

Religion warps your sense of morality."

And I agree with that. Time and time again it shows that religion is amoral, warps peoples sense of morality and causes them to treat people horribly. The religious are prone to immorality because they have no good guide to what is and what is not decent. Their belief structure values adherence to authority over anything else. Everything that questions the worldly authority of the priests must be marginalised, ridiculed, opressed or destroyed. People are opressed or murdered, knowledge is denied or destroyed, priceless ancient artifacts are shattered, all in the name of religion. I can write pararaphs about the catholic church alone, which in my opinion is the most thoroughly anti-human organisation ever, if only due to its longevity.

I see religion as a blight on humanity, something that which must be opposed at every opportunity.

Many people ask why someone like me, who came from a Christian home, went to a Christian high school and then went on to spend five years in seminary and become a pastor, a missionary, and an evangelist, would turn his back on the God he spent a lifetime worshiping and serving and give up all faith in the supernatural. The answer is very simple, and I’m about to give it. First, however, let me tell you what the reason is not.

Most people, upon hearing my story, decide (regardless of their own spiritual beliefs or religious affiliations) that I must be mad at God. They tell me I just had the wrong religion, or that I just needed to try their particular name-brand. It’s the one thing religious people of all stripes can actually agree on, and it isn’t even true.

I did, in fact, have a rough time in religion. My formative years of trial and tribulation didn’t weaken my faith in the least. In fact, it was because of these troubles that I spent many nights on my knees praying that I might not be like “those other Christians,” and that God would show me the path to becoming his choice servant. It was because of this that I began to take my studies of the Judeo-Christian god very seriously, and it was this in-depth study and reflection that led to my current state of unbelief.

Let me share with you the ten main reasons I found that reflect why I went from a Fundamental, Independent Baptist minister to an ardent Atheist.

Other Religions Exist: I used to believe that only my religion could be right, and that every other religion was wrong. I studied apologetics so I could prove this to anyone I met. Anyone else who claimed to know their religion was true deep in their heart was clearly suffering a Satanic delusion. At the exact same time, I believed a clearly mythological story with blind faith and nothing more to back it up than the fact that I knew deep in my heart that it was true. Then I realized that people fly planes into buildings, run into crowded plazas with bombs strapped to them, and drink poisoned Kool-Aid in the name of their gods. If faith is really the true measure of the veracity of a religion, I was clearly in the wrong church, and should have become a militant Muslim.

Faith is Rewarded to the Same Degree as Disbelief: Once, I would pray daily, often for hours, for every little facet of my life, turning over even the most insignificant little things to the creator of the universe. Sometimes he would answer positively, other times negatively, and other times by seeming to tell me to wait. If I were not praying for what God would want me to pray for, the answer would undoubtedly be no, but if I were asking in faith for something that lined up with God’s will, I would be rewarded. It made me wonder why it was God’s will that certain of my colleagues drove a Mercedes while he wanted me to drive a pale yellow 1988 station wagon.

Then, I came to the realization that if I prayed to God for a given number of things, and I prayed to a rock for that same number of things, the chances are very good that the rock and God would answer roughly the same number of times. Muslims pray to their God, Hindus to theirs, Catholics and Protestants to theirs, Wiccans to theirs . . . and after all is said and done, every God seems to answer in roughly the same proportion . . . unless of course for the 100% rate of failure for such requests as healing an amputee or “moving a mountain.”

God Can’t Be Proven: I used to say to the doubters “You can’t disprove God!” That’s true, but it’s true for one very important reason: you can’t disprove something you don’t have proof of. I can’t disprove leprechauns, or Bloody Mary, or ghosts, or Smurfs, or anything that I don’t first have proof of. You can only disprove something by showing how the proof of it is not valid. My entire life once required belief in something that in no way could be proven to be real. This is like turning around to sit down on a chair when you never actually verified that the chair was there in the first place. The worst part about it is that, instead of a slightly bruised bottom, you come out of it with an entire life wasted trying to sit in a chair that isn’t there.

The God of the Bible Can be Disproved: The God of the Bible (and the Koran, and the Book of Mormon, etc.) already has enough going against him… If he were really the author of the Bible, it would probably be much less full of atrocities, contradictions, plagiarisms and absurdities. Considering the only real knowledge we have on the subject comes either from numinous, unverifiable personal experiences or ancient books of mythology which can be proven to be as I’ve just described them (in a word: nonsense), the God which they describe can thus safely be assumed to be fictional.

Religion is, By Nature, Deluding: I did a bit of math and found out that I had read the entire Bible, all sixty-six books of it, all the way through no less than 26 times from the time I got “saved” to my senior year in seminary. In all this time, I read every single word, and yet I never caught how evil God was, I never saw his bloodthirsty acts and his terrible, tyrannical ways or his childish temper tantrums. I never saw the obvious mistakes and contradictions in the Bible. There were so many things in the Bible I just didn’t see until the day I chose to read it with a wary, discerning eye, and then everything came out.

There is something about religion that makes it a very powerful force, and that something is its insubstantiality. When something doesn’t really exist, you can make any number of arguments in its favor, and to the believing mind answers can come easily because any answer can easily fit. If you ask me to do something and I don’t do it, I can make up an excuse or give you the facts as to why I didn’t, but in the end there is a real reason why I didn’t do it. When you ask God to do something and he does not, it is easy enough to come up with any excuse for him, and since he doesn’t really exist any excuse fits neatly.

I know so many Christians who can’t see how awful the Bible and God really are, and those that can see it make excuses for it. “That’s just the Old Testament!” they say. “We live under the New Testament!” Yes, but your god still killed 70,000 people with pestilence just because their king counted them. He still had bears disembowel forty-two children for making fun of a bald man. He still made a law that said a woman was to be stoned to death if she was raped and didn’t scream loud enough for someone to hear her. He’s the same God.

We don’t release mass murderers from prison because they “turn over a new leaf,” and we wouldn’t suddenly vote back in a violent despot we just deposed because he swore he’d be a little nicer this time around. We shouldn’t worship a monster because he offers us salvation from a pit of fire he himself is threatening us with.

Science is Obviously Better: Science, it has been pointed out, is not perfect and doesn’t have all the answers. However, it does have a method for obtaining answers, whereas religion simply claims answers without having ever done any of the work to get there. Science starts with the idea that we do not know something and then tries to figure it out. Religion starts with the arrogant assumption that we know God exists and therefore must base all our knowledge on that idea.

Once again, religion causes a delusion which stands in the way of readily-available facts and steps around the intellect. This delusion was so strong in me that despite my deep-seated love of science I accepted the pseudo-science of men like Kent Hovind (I even attended one of his lectures in high school), Duane Gish, and Ken Ham without bothering to seek out the truth. As soon as I chose to open my eyes, it became clear to me that the only reason I believed in Creationism was because that’s what I wanted to believe in, and the only reason I didn’t believe in Evolution was because I chose not to see all the available evidence.

The Origins of All Religions are Clear: The first man to invent religion obviously looked up at the sky and said, “I have no idea how all this got here. I made this hut, and this fire, and this wagon, and I tamed this wild dog, and so whatever made the sky must be something very similar to me, only much more powerful.” Obviously. God was made in man’s image, not the other way around. He was a creation of humanity from when we couldn’t figure out any better explanation for the difficult questions of existence. When I was less educated and was inundated on every side with religious “science,” I believed that the only answers were in God. When I started to see answers to these “unanswered” questions revealed with ease and the evidence for true science piling up while the explanations offered by religion withered away, it became obvious that humanity had surpassed its need for these easy answers and their remaining vestiges were holding back our species.

There’s No Difference: Religion and a Relationship with God are just jargon for the exact same thing. When I was a Christian, I used to use the phrase “Some people have a religion, but what I have is a relationship with Jesus Christ.” I also used to throw around the words “Head Knowledge and Heart Knowledge” quite a bit. But in reality, it’s all just fancy ways of saying the same thing: having an emotional, spiritual experience that can’t be quantified logically. It’s faith, either way… it’s believing in something that isn’t real. Some people just get arrogant about it and think that only they have the right answer, and then stupid phrases like the ones above get formed.

Personally, since I’ve become an atheist, I’ve heard this a ridiculous number of times directed back at me. My religion was just the wrong flavor, it all boils down to, and I should have forsaken religion and instead seek out the true power of a relationship with Christ. This is rather upsetting to me, because these people don’t know me, and they don’t know the sleepless nights I spent praying that God would use me in a powerful way. They never saw how I wept over “lost souls.” They never listened to my preaching, which I swore didn’t come from me as I was always terrified right before I stepped up to the pulpit and became strong as the words seemed to flow from the Holy Spirit. These people don’t know that I was exactly like them, and the only difference between us is that I dared to question my faith.

Religion is Destructive: Religion creates rifts and divisions in the world. It causes backwards-thinking and halts medical, scientific, and societal progress. It encourages people to be content rather than try to better themselves, and to trust in an invisible friend rather than strive to succeed. It takes away any joy that we might have in our own successes and instead throws them at the feet of an invisible being that had nothing to do with it. It makes people sit idly by and pray rather than stand up and do something themselves. It locks young people in and does everything it can to ensure that they will never even have the opportunity to look in any other direction. This cannot be the will of any supreme being, unless it is stupid or evil.

Christians Don’t Really Get Persecuted: One of the halls in my dormitory was named after a missionary who died a martyr’s death in Romania. The truth of the matter was that he fell asleep at the wheel and drove into a tree. I used to put on a play in my college drama team about the missionaries to the Auca Indians who were murdered for sharing the Gospel, and then found out they knew they were in danger because the Aucas killed any outsiders who entered their village. I also used to do a play about the missionaries who were martyred with the China Inland Mission during the Boxer Rebellion, and then I found out that the Chinese were persecuting and killing Christian missionaries because they were persecuting and killing ANYONE who was a threat to their national cultural heritage (and the Christians were doing a great job trying to make sure the Chinese became just like the White Devil).

The truth of the matter is that Christians get EXACTLY what they want, and they get it because they keep saying that they are a persecuted minority who don’t get anything that they want. The truth is that they are one of the most powerful groups in the world, especially in America, and the most powerful political party in the United States is nothing more than their soap box.

“OH NO!” they say, “people are trying to get prayer taken out of schools! People are trying to get the Ten Commandments out of courthouses! People are trying to get the Bible and Creationism out of the classroom! We are SO PERSECUTED!” The truth of the matter is that a few (and I mean a VERY FEW) people of good conscience in this country who understand the precepts of separation under which the country was founded know that those things don’t belong there, and are fighting to get them removed. It’s us, the nonbelievers, who are having the hard time, it’s us who are persecuted, it’s us who are the minority.

When you go to try to get a new job, and someone says “He’s a good, Christian man,” you have a much better chance of getting the job than when they say “He’s an atheist” about me. When parents hear an atheist is dating their daughter, it’s like they just heard it was a Satanist. You try closing a big deal when your clients find out you don’t believe in God. Any Christian who says he is persecuted is simply repeating back rhetoric he’s heard from his pastor, unless he’s a missionary, in which case he’s most likely being persecuted because he showed up on someone’s doorstep and told them that everything they know is wrong and they need to be more like him in order to be accepted by God.

Evil Exists in the World: My favorite argument for the nonexistence of God comes from Epicurus: “Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

I’ve heard so many people say “God allows us to have free will. If we do evil with the gift of free will, it isn’t God’s fault, but our own.” That makes me want to do evil to the people who say worthless, thoughtless garbage like that. Is it really a little girl’s free will to be kidnapped, molested, raped, tortured, murdered, and left on the side of the road in a plastic bag? Is it really a woman’s free will to choose a man because he seems to be a good Christian only to find out that his spirituality has caused him to repress perversions that lead to his arrest for molesting children? Is it the free will of all those precious children who die of leukemia, or AIDS, or SIDS, or who are born into the world handicapped or diseased at no fault of their own? Whose free will was that?

Or was it just God’s will, because somewhere somebody had a lesson to learn from a little boy being born without hands and feet, or a little girl being born in a country where they practice clitoral disfigurement?

I once desired to be God’s primary servant, and now I don’t believe in him at all. All it took was for me to choose to open my eyes and critically examine my beliefs. I know that argument and debate rarely does any good, because both sides often start out set in their ways and firm in the idea that they cannot be wrong, with the sole interest of changing their counterpart’s mind rather than learning something new for themselves. The solution to this is to question one’s own beliefs, one’s own safety zone, with a critical, apprehending eye. I set out to find God, and found that he wasn’t there. I contest that anyone who chooses to seek truth on their own, by questioning their own deep-seated beliefs like I did, will inevitably find that they may not be as true as they once thought.

…Unless, of course, they choose not to see it.

Comments comments and comments. Tayo na lang kaya magusap. lol :D

Religion warps your sense of morality."
And sense of reality.

Other Religions Exist:
Their religion is the 'only true' religion. Others are deemed false and it's believers are heretics.

Faith is Rewarded to the Same Degree as Disbelief: ...
Prayers are usually answered with yes, no and wait for a long time. Waiting is the hard part.

God Can’t Be Proven: ..
Best answer comes from Carl Sagan.

Religion is Destructive: ...
Darrrrrrrk Ageeesssss... The Greek Knowledge were almost gone. I watched the documentary that one book of Archimedes has been recycled into a prayer book. Kinda WTF, isn't it?

Christians Don’t Really Get Persecuted: ...
Isn't it the other way around? I get persecuted all the time. "You will be rotten in hell!" is their favorite line.

Evil Exists in the World: My favorite argument for the nonexistence of God comes from Epicurus: “Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
Here here here. Self explanatory.

^ Well, as they say, the greatest critiques/critics of any belief system usually come from its greatest [former] adherents.

Anyway, turning to another matter: I find the buzz around Cannae and Em Drives to be loaded with just about the most subtly ominous tidings for our believing brothers. What do you think?

- - - Updated - - -

Teka, singit ko lang...

Meron palang atheist TV

:lol:

Last edited:
^ Well, as they say, the greatest critiques/critics of any belief system usually come from its greatest [former] adherents.

Anyway, turning to another matter: I find the buzz around Cannae and Em Drives to be loaded with just about the most subtly ominous tidings for our believing brothers. What do you think?

- - - Updated - - -

Teka, singit ko lang...

Meron palang atheist TV

:lol:
Do you have a link? I wonder what kind of thoughts they have for it.

^ for the em and cannae drives?

- - - Updated - - -

Discussions can be found here, here, and here.

Additional materials/underlying physics: here or here.

Enjoy! :lol:

Last edited:
I've just read Stormer's post and I thought I'd to rebut some gross misinformation.

First off:

Religion warps your sense of morality.

You cannot gauge morality and deem religious morality as amoral without an absolute moral standard to base on. In a relative world, one's sense of morality is just as distorted as everyone else's if there is no moral absolute because morality, as has often been claimed by relativists (who are mostly atheists themselves) in order to deny moral authority from religion, is only relative to the individual.

Other Religions Exist

No problem. Ever heard of religious pluralism? The idea exists in virtually all religions. People just fail to realize it's there. But Hinduism sums it up best.

"Truth is one. But sages call it by different names."

Truth is absolute. It is only our perception of truth that varies hence different religions exist. All religions agree that there is an ABSOLUTE REALITY out there. They just can't seem to agree what exactly it is. Christians call it "Christ." Jews call it "YWHW." Muslims call it "Allah." Hindus call it "Brahma." Buddhists call it "Adibuddha." Taoists call it "Tao." But they all refer to the same entity or life force.

And that Epicurus' quote is a nice logical argument against the existence of God that completely ignores the fact that humans have free will. Had Epicurus included free will in his assertions he might have gotten somewhere.

The God of the Bible Can be Disproved

The knowledge of monotheisc God i(or any kind of God) s acquired through rational and logical formulation of the prevailing cosmological principles and philosophical worldviews which are then derived through the use of deductive logic and analytical thinking. The God of the Bible which is the property of the God in monotheism is based on revelation. He is not subject to proof or disproof. Historians know and are honest in admitting that it's out of the scope of their discipline.

Religion is Destructive

History simply does not support this claim. It's more like the opposite. Religion is the foundation of EVERY civilization. The root of civilization itself is religion. It has long been thought and is commonly believed that agriculture paved the way for the formation of civilization but that turned out to be quite off. In light of recent discovery, anthropologists have uncovered the truth that it was actually organized religion, which preceded agriculture, that created civilization as the very first civilization was formed initially out of the desire of the people to organize for worshipping purposes.

Just look up Göbekli Tepe.

It causes backwards-thinking and halts medical, scientific, and societal progress.

Again.No.Basis.In.History.

Religion does not impede human progress. If anything, it prevents the self-destruction of our species and civilization. Marx, Stalin, Mao, Hitler and all despotic leaders of the last centuries thought the same that's why they sought ways to eradicate religion from society and replaced it with their own atheistic ideologies but had only been eventually proven wrong by the harsh reality of the horrible consequences of their actions.

Religion creates rifts and divisions in the world.

Or it could be that without religion people would even further be divided. One actually of the many benefits of religion is that it unites already divided people and creates cohesion to an otherwise disorganized society. The notion that religion is divisive is a funny sort of tired argument that assumes that religion has some inherent tendency to divide (going by that logic then everything in this world divides people: politics, culture, language, sports, music, even TV networks and love teams and we'lll only achieve unity and world peace by ridding them all which is a flawed reasoning) when it is people themselves that want to divide and form groups with those who are similar in some way, like they may share an ideology, ethnicity, language or lineage or any such thing.

Christians Don’t Really Get Persecuted

You don't get persecuted if you are a member of the majority. It is usually the minorities that are susceptible to persecution. And Christians continue to face the most and worst religious persecution around the world probably second only to the Jews. And this is yet to include the fate they had met in the hands of the atheistic communists in the Soviet Union last century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Christian_sentiment

Just because some Christians hold most of political power in the governments in the West (which only makes sense since they're founded by their Christian ancestors) doesn't erase the fact that there are also Christians who are continually facing persecution and executions elsewhere. There are MANY facets of Christianity often not making it to the news and which many in the secular world refuse to see. Christians dominate America because America was founded by Christians (and Jews) fleeing religious persecution from Europe in the same way that Hindus dominate Indian politics and the governments in Middle East and North Africa are run exclusively by Muslims because those civilizations were founded by those specific religious groups.

I found out that the Chinese were persecuting and killing Christian missionaries because they were persecuting and killing ANYONE who was a threat to their national cultural heritage (and the Christians were doing a great job trying to make sure the Chinese became just like the White Devil).

Now this couldn't be further from the truth. Christian missionaries aren't a threat to anyone much less to the destruction of anyone else's culture unless that culture is barbaric and needs to be supplanted like they did with the primitive Native American and pagan European cultures. And speaking about the Chinese, there has been no bigger "threat to their national cultural heritage" other than their very own government. it was the Chinese government in the first place that destroyed the long cherished three Great Traditions (Confucianism, Taoism, Buddhism) in China that were built for centuries by their ancestors. They had all been destroyed in an instant since the atheistic communists took hold of the country during the Cultural Revolution. Contemporary Chinese society has only now begun reconstructing them. And this is because the government has finally amended its strict antireligion policy and partly given its people's freedom to practice their faith albeit still imposing great restriction. They realized they couldn't ban religion forever or restrict it in a manner that they did. You can't suppress something that is human nature. BTW, Christianity is now rapidly growing in China despite still being suppressed by the government. In fact, in 15 years, there will be more Christians in China than in any other country in the world.

Atheists have a lot to thank from religion. They are basically sitting pretty on a civilization founded by educated theists, and was based upon / inspired by religious principles. And atheists are not even aware that the reason why they proliferate in secular Christian countries is because of the very same institution and principle that a lot of them would want to abolish: religion and religious freedom. There is YET to be a civilization that is founded by atheists, and societies that had been based on purely atheistic ideologies had either failed or did not last for long so whatever arguments atheists put forth against religion being detrimental to society are moot.

I've just read Stormer's post You cannot gauge morality and deem religious morality as amoral without an absolute moral standard to base on. In a relative world, one's sense of morality is just as distorted as everyone else's if there is no moral absolute because morality, as has often been claimed by relativists (who are mostly atheists themselves) in order to deny moral authority from religion, is only relative to the individual.
As I've distinctly noted in that post you cited, that was purely a repost of the pastor's views. However, as the pastor would have no way of knowing this exchange, and since it was I who made the repost, I think I'll take it upon myself to answer to your own take of the issues raised.

First, the pastor claims that religion warps a believer's sense of morality. Observe that the author has specifically qualified this claim by citing a case, and strictly speaking, that instance alone validates his claim. No need to go on about moral relativism at all. Besides, the issue of absolute and relativist moralities have been exhaustively discussed in my previous posts to repeat again. We could go on and on, but if we limit ourselves to his statement, the pastor's conclusion is far from being off the mark.

Ever heard of religious pluralism? The idea exists in virtually all religions. People just fail to realize it's there. But Hinduism sums it up best.

"Truth is one. But sages call it by different names."

Truth is absolute. It is only our perception of truth that varies hence different religions exist. All religions agree that there is an ABSOLUTE REALITY out there. They just can't seem to agree what exactly it is. Christians call it "Christ." Jews call it "YWHW." Muslims call it "Allah." Hindus call it "Brahma." Buddhists call it "Adibuddha." Taoists call it "Tao." But they all refer to the same entity or life force.

And that Epicurus' quote is a nice logical argument against the existence of God that completely ignores the fact that humans have free will. Had Epicurus included free will in his assertions he might have gotten somewhere.
Aren't you deliberately swaying the point of the pastor's statement that other religions exist? At the heart of that statement is that one cannot be absolutely certain of claims to knowing one god as the true god amidst the proliferation of other claims of thousands of other religions. Jesus, Brahma, Buddha, Tao are all good, but how about if you push that to those who believe that Satan, Lucifer, Ahriman, etc. are the true god? Still plurality for you then?

The knowledge of monotheisc God i(or any kind of God) s acquired through rational and logical formulation of the prevailing cosmological principles and philosophical worldviews which are then derived through the use of deductive logic and analytical thinking. The God of the Bible which is the property of the God in monotheism is based on revelation. He is not subject to proof or disproof. Historians know and are honest in admitting that it's out of the scope of their discipline.
Now, this is a claim that is hugely interesting. Religion, not just monotheistic ones, have been pinned down to emotions and faith, never reason and logic. If it were, Jesus would have made reason and logic his prime directive, not faith. Imagine if those primitive ancients have access to the same "cosmological principles and philosophical worldviews" that we have at our own leisure now. Lightning, for those cavemen who are quick to ascribe to some powers in the sky mysterious events, are the work of some evil spirits—the god-to-be—not by some electromagnetic principles as we know now.

History simply does not support this claim. It's more like the opposite. Religion is the foundation of EVERY civilization. The root of civilization itself is religion. It has long been thought and is commonly believed that agriculture paved the way for the formation of civilization but that turned out to be quite off. In light of recent discovery, anthropologists have uncovered the truth that it was actually organized religion, which preceded agriculture, that created civilization as the very first civilization was formed initially out of the desire of the people to organize for worshipping purposes.

Just look up Göbekli Tepe.
Again, I think the pastor has made some nice claims to support his statement.

You cite Göbekli Tepe. Does that archaeological find say that it was any god who taught man fire, how to separate copper, tin, and iron from clay? No: just because those first men subscribe to some shaman's version of god does not make religion the founder of civilization. Those quacks are, however, quick to steal credit to ensure their ilk live to the seat of power for eternity as long as men could be gullible as they made them to be.

Again.No.Basis.In.History.
Religion does not impede human progress. If anything, it prevents the self-destruction of our species and civilization. Marx, Stalin, Mao, Hitler and all despotic leaders of the last centuries thought the same that's why they sought ways to eradicate religion from society and replaced it with their own atheistic ideologies but had only been eventually proven wrong by the harsh reality of the horrible consequences of their actions.
You mean the church's ongoing vehement opposition to Republic Act No. 10354 [RH bill] is not historical enough for you? I could go on and on, but again, the good pastor has substantiated his claims enough in that post. There have been lengthy discussions on this matter in previous posts too.

Or it could be that without religion people would even further be divided. One actually of the many benefits of religion is that it unites already divided people and creates cohesion to an otherwise disorganized society. The notion that religion is divisive is a funny sort of tired argument that assumes that religion has some inherent tendency to divide (going by that logic then everything in this world divides people: politics, culture, language, sports, music, even TV networks and love teams and we'lll only achieve unity and world peace by ridding them all which is a flawed reasoning) when it is people themselves that want to divide and form groups with those who are similar in some way, like they may share an ideology, ethnicity, language or lineage or any such thing.
It wasn't religion that united Germany, France, or in fact the whole of Europe, even the behemoths Russia, China, etc. They were united for various reasons and emerge as independent national entities from multitude of causes, but religion being not one of them. Czechoslovakia and most Scandinavians are the epitome of modern living w/o any appeal to any godhead.

As for Islam and Christianity, they have been going at each other's throat for centuries now at the cost of thousands—millions—of lives of the innocent. I need not cite the current spate of troubles in Europe and Middle East for this to be self-evident even for the men in the streets.

You don't get persecuted if you are a member of the majority. It is usually the minorities that are susceptible to persecution. And Christians continue to face the most and worst religious persecution around the world probably second only to the Jews. And this is yet to include the fate they had met in the hands of the atheistic communists in the Soviet Union last century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Christian_sentiment

Just because some Christians hold most of political power in the governments in the West (which only makes sense since they're founded by their Christian ancestors) doesn't erase the fact that there are also Christians who are continually facing persecution and executions elsewhere. There are MANY facets of Christianity often not making it to the news and which many in the secular world refuse to see. Christians dominate America because America was founded by Christians (and Jews) fleeing religious persecution from Europe in the same way that Hindus dominate Indian politics and the governments in Middle East and North Africa are run exclusively by Muslims because those civilizations were founded by those specific religious groups.
Again, the pastor explicitly explains, albeit in brief, why this is so. My previous posts have also covered this matter in large part.

Now this couldn't be further from the truth. Christian missionaries aren't a threat to anyone much less to the destruction of anyone else's culture unless that culture is barbaric and needs to be supplanted like they did with the primitive Native American and pagan European cultures. And speaking about the Chinese, there has been no bigger "threat to their national cultural heritage" other than their very own government. it was the Chinese government in the first place that destroyed the long cherished three Great Traditions (Confucianism, Taoism, Buddhism) in China that were built for centuries by their ancestors. They had all been destroyed in an instant since the atheistic communists took hold of the country during the Cultural Revolution. Contemporary Chinese society has only now begun reconstructing them. And this is because the government has finally amended its strict antireligion policy and partly given its people's freedom to practice their faith albeit still imposing great restriction. They realized they couldn't ban religion forever or restrict it in a manner that they did. You can't suppress something that is human nature. BTW, Christianity is now rapidly growing in China despite still being suppressed by the government. In fact, in 15 years, there will be more Christians in China than in any other country in the world.

Atheists have a lot to thank from religion. They are basically sitting pretty on a civilization founded by educated theists, and was based upon / inspired by religious principles. And atheists are not even aware that the reason why they proliferate in secular Christian countries is because of the very same institution and principle that a lot of them would want to abolish: religion and religious freedom. There is YET to be a civilization that is founded by atheists, and societies that had been based on purely atheistic ideologies had either failed or did not last for long so whatever arguments atheists put forth against religion being detrimental to society are moot.
Who decides what is barbaric and what needs to be supplanted, especially in the case of South America? Who invited their interference in the affairs of that continent? Let us not repeat the self-righteous vindications for the greatest crime in the history of humanity.

It might help you to review your opinions regarding South America if you revisit the current findings of decimated empires in that region, most of which are not as brutal as the colonialists would have us believe in order to justify their pillage of an entire continent.

Science/technology is peopled mostly by atheists. Here's a little reason why.

The founders of civilizations are those who, like Prometheus—and despite the opposition of gods and religious powerbrokers who see innovation as threats to their seats of influence and power—who persevered despite religion, not because of it. Religions might pervert their views of other matters in life, but none of it takes away from the fact that it was human reasoning power—not the precepts of some holy books—that yielded the technologies and knowledge that ushered men to modernity and out of the caves and some altars of superstitions.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to have an all-nighter with these. :lol:

Let me know your take on them after going through the links.

You will notice, of course, that the underlying physics is something we have previously tackled hereabout. :)

Last edited:
Aren't you deliberately swaying the point of the pastor's statement that other religions exist? At the heart of that statement is that one cannot be absolutely certain of claims to knowing one god as the true god amidst the proliferation of other claims of thousands of other religions. Jesus, Brahma, Buddha, Tao are all good, but how about if you push that to those who believe that Satan, Lucifer, Ahriman, etc. are the true god? Still plurality for you then?

Religious pluralism is a philosophy that acknowledges the inherent shared fundamental truth of all religions. There are apparent contradictions in every religion but if we can look past them and get at the essence of all religions, we find a common truth. God (or an impersonal life force/higher power in the case of nontheistic religions) is the absolute truth. This absolute truth is also the source of all moral authority. All religions, even nontheistic religions which don't have a personal God, actually believe in objective morality that's why they all contain moral laws and commandments (in the case of theistic religions), and guidelines and precepts (for both theistic and nontheistic religions). So it's not just some theological commonalities that exist in all these religions, they also share a moral common ground. Belief in God/higher power has a universal moral implications. Theistic religions have afterlife/heaven and hell; nontheistic religions have karma, reincarnation/rebirth, moksha/nirvana.

I don't understand why anyone would suggest that Satan is the true God when he is clearly depicted in the Abrahamic scriptures as the true God's chief antagonist/adversary who corrupts people and leads them away from God into destruction. Satan is a god, just NOT of truth but of lies. So whatever religion that is centered on him and which actually teaches a warped sense of morality just has no place even in a pluralistic society or in any religious society for that matter.

Now, this is a claim that is hugely interesting. Religion, not just monotheistic ones, have been pinned down to emotions and faith, never reason and logic. If it were, Jesus would have made reason and logic his prime directive, not faith. Imagine if those primitive ancients have access to the same "cosmological principles and philosophical worldviews" that we have at our own leisure now. Lightning, for those cavemen who are quick to ascribe to some powers in the sky mysterious events, are the work of some evil spirits—the god-to-be—not by some electromagnetic principles as we know now.

I didn't say religion was based on reason and logic. It is its underlying foundational philosophical worldviews which proffer rational and logical basis. Examples of those are theism and its various forms (monotheism, polytheism, deism, pandeism, pantheism, panentheism,) animism, shamamism, henotheism, etc. Even modern atheism is built upon the premise of naturalism/materialism. Theism is distinct from religion. Don't confuse the two. Knowledge of religion is acquired mainly through revelation. But theism and other philosophical religious worldview is conceived through rich philosophic and rational investigation and discourse in different religious traditions that produced right end conclusions, and they actually either align with or correspond to the prevailing current scientific/cosmological worldview. This is also the reason why many ancient religions have long died out and have been superseded by the current major world religions. They are based, as you implied in your post, on the "god-of-the-gaps" reasoning which is already outdated. But the monotheistic and pantheistic religions of today are NOT based on god-of-the-gaps reasoning. As a matter of fact, both monotheistc (Abrahamic) and pantheistic (Dharmic/Taoic) religions precede their corresponding cosmological worldviews and scientific theories. Pantheism, which posits that the universe is infinte and eternal, is the base principle and religious counterpart of the now obsolete Steady State Theory. Scientists and atheists used to subscribe to this worldview/theory until it had been refuted by the Big Bang Theory of Fr. Georges Lemaitre which is logically consistent with his monotheism which asserts that the universe is finite and thus have a beginning and a cause. The atheist conundrum now shifted to disproving that the cause is supernatural hence the conception of the metaphysical ideas like the multiverse and quantum fluctuation. And just to remind you that the multiverse and quantum fluctuation are only ideas (for now). They are not valid scientific theories. So atheists are not close yet to "disproving" the monotheistic God let alone the God of the Bible.

The major world religions today (including atheism) have varying degrees of logical consistency, scientific validilty and evidential support. Their validily can actually be tested by using (a combination of) systematic methodologies (from science, history, logic, metaphysics/ontology) aimed to separate truth from error until all but one is ruled out as the (most) valid belief system.

Contrary to popular belief (and to the misconception of many people, religious and not), religion is not entirely based on faith. The use of reason and logic is also very important in matters of religion. Just like Pope John Paul II said, "Faith and reason are like two wings on which the human spirit rises to the contemplation of truth..."

Again, I think the pastor has made some nice claims to support his statement.

You cite Göbekli Tepe. Does that archaeological find say that it was any god who taught man fire, how to separate copper, tin, and iron from clay? No: just because those first men subscribe to some shaman's version of god does not make religion the founder of civilization. Those quacks are, however, quick to steal credit to ensure their ilk live to the seat of power for eternity as long as men could be gullible as they made them to be.

The purpose of archaeology or any related discipline is not to find out if there was anything supernatural going on in past societies but to learn about the development of those societies.

Hammer, level, handsaw, shovel alone or whatever cannot build a house without humans using these tools and applying their knowledge and skill in carpentry and contruction. Likewise, religion cannot build a civilization on its own since it's also just a tool. It was people who were religious that built civilizations and founded them upon the moral framework of their religion. And the success and lifespan of a civilization actually depends on the strength of its moral foundation. If you will study the history of past civilizations, there are common requirements for civilizations to thrive and also a handful of reasons why they inevitably collapse. One of the main reasons, apart from external factors like conquest and assimilation, why a civilization collapses is moral degeneration. People just forget and no longer adhere to the foundational values (which are based on their religion) of their civilization and that destroys the cohesion in that civilization which then results to a wide disarray and for which it is easier for other civilizations to conquer or usurp it. This is the reason why almost every pagan/polytheistic societies in the world have ceased to exist. Unlike monotheistic (Abrahamic) societies, pagan societies have no strict rules to live by therefore they are not as organized. They are VERY easy to conquer and displace because they are built on shaky foundation. And they also assimilate very easily into another culture even without conquest. Almost every pagan in the past had no problem accepting any god introduced to them which is not the case with Abrahamic societies.

You mean the church's ongoing vehement opposition to Republic Act No. 10354 [RH bill] is not historical enough for you? I could go on and on, but again, the good pastor has substantiated his claims enough in that post. There have been lengthy discussions on this matter in previous posts too.

Religious authorities, in general, hold a very conservative position especially in issues involving morality but don't equate religion to being an impediment to scientific and social progress. Religious institutions are just cautious that they prefer to stick with the tried and tested normative principles and religious wisdom that made it possible for their civilization to thrive and last this long. An open dialogue between the government and religious institutions would have cleared confusions and misconceptions both on their part. Again, eradicating religion has never been a good solution.

It wasn't religion that united Germany, France, or in fact the whole of Europe, even the behemoths Russia, China, etc. They were united for various reasons and emerge as independent national entities from multitude of causes, but religion being not one of them. Czechoslovakia and most Scandinavians are the epitome of modern living w/o any appeal to any godhead.

As for Islam and Christianity, they have been going at each other's throat for centuries now at the cost of thousands—millions—of lives of the innocent. I need not cite the current spate of troubles in Europe and Middle East for this to be self-evident even for the men in the streets.

It is not the role of religion to unite countries (that's politics) but people regardless of countriy, ethnicity, language and cultural background. And this has more to do with moral unity even amidst diversity. It means that they all share the same moral sentiments and general ethical standards in a society.

Czechoslovakia is no more. It has split into two countries already since 1993. And they are not particularly remarkable compared to the more religious European countries like Ireland, Luxembourg, Austria. BTW, Slovakia is a religious country. You could've cited a better example. LOL.

Scandinavian countries are probably the closest to a utopian society. Wealthy, peaceful, progressive, liberal, educated. Yes, they are not quite religious which is a result of their very high socioeconomic class, and not the cause. (More than any other factor, it is the economic status that has a negative correlation to religiosity.) But don't ignore the fact that these countries have been deeply religious for centuries. I mean, look at the cross in their flags. And the fact that they have state churches. These countries are historically Protestant since the 16th century and have integrated the so-called "Protestant work ethic" into their way of life. In case you didn't know, Protestant work ethic is a cultural ethos that is derived from the Bible that encourages hard work and frugal living and is also the driving force behind capitalism and the reason for the economic progress of Protestant-based countries which is also the reason why Protestant countries (US, UK, Scandinavia/Nordic countries, Netherlands) are generally wealthier than Catholic countries (Spain, Italy, France, Poland, Latin American countries). And although these countries are becoming increasingly secular, this particular cultural ethos persists. So let's not pretend that religion did not have a massive role in shaping their society into what it is today.

Who decides what is barbaric and what needs to be supplanted, especially in the case of South America? Who invited their interference in the affairs of that continent? Let us not repeat the self-righteous vindications for the greatest crime in the history of humanity.

It might help you to review your opinions regarding South America if you revisit the current findings of decimated empires in that region, most of which are not as brutal as the colonialists would have us believe in order to justify their pillage of an entire continent.

Science/technology is peopled mostly by atheists. Here's a little reason why.

The founders of civilizations are those who, like Prometheus—and despite the opposition of gods and religious powerbrokers who see innovation as threats to their seats of influence and power—who persevered despite religion, not because of it. Religions might pervert their views of other matters in life, but none of it takes away from the fact that it was human reasoning power—not the precepts of some holy books—that yielded the technologies and knowledge that ushered men to modernity and out of the caves and some altars of superstitions.

The society/civilization mentioned in your first link had already disappeared even millenias before the Europeans sat foot on that continent probably decimated by another (barbaric) native American civilization for being so unwarily passive.

I could also post the lists of Christian scientists, and Catholic scientists, and Roman Catholic cleric scientists, and Christian Nobel laureates, and Jesuit scientists, and Jewish scientists, and Muslim scientists, and Quakers in science and Hindu scientists. I mean, the number of religious people, past and present, and their contributions to science patently overwhelm those of the atheist scientists. And for the record, it's not true that most contemporary scientists are atheists. That's an atheist propaganda. 51% of scientists believe in God and 48% have a religious affiliation. Only 17% are actual atheists.

Science is a secular pursuit. There is no single religion or group that has monopoly on science. It is open to all participants from ALL religious faiths. And there is no particular position that a scientist must assume as science is neutral in matters of belief.

And your last paragraph would have been reasonable if not many political and legal concepts and principles in the West like secularism, separation of church and state, human rights, freedom of conscience, branches of the government/separation of powers, rule of law, due process and a lot more have their actual roots in the Judaeo-Christian Bible whereas the Islamic world has an entirely different version of those which are derived from their own scripture.

Atheists have no reason to deny or be mad in learning that the society they live in is founded by the institution that they don't believe in. And it's useless disputing this fact as the United States Congress has affirmed and made it clear that very foundation of our civilization was indeed built specifically upon the Judaeo-Christian values.

"Whereas Congress recognizes the historical tradition of ethical values and principles which are the basis of civilized society and upon which our great Nation was founded; Whereas these ethical values and principles have been the bedrock of society from the dawn of civilization, when they were known as the Seven Noahide Laws."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Laws_of_Noah#Public_recognition

Last edited:
Religious pluralism is a philosophy that acknowledges the inherent shared fundamental truth of all religions. There are apparent contradictions in every religion but if we can look past them and get at the essence of all religions, we find a common truth. God (or an impersonal life force/higher power in the case of nontheistic religions) is the absolute truth. This absolute truth is also the source of all moral authority. All religions, even nontheistic religions which don't have a personal God, actually believe in objective morality that's why they all contain moral laws and commandments (in the case of theistic religions), and guidelines and precepts (for both theistic and nontheistic religions). So it's not just some theological commonalities that exist in all these religions, they also share a moral common ground. Belief in God/higher power has a universal moral implications. Theistic religions have afterlife/heaven and hell; nontheistic religions have karma, reincarnation/rebirth, moksha/nirvana.

I don't understand why anyone would suggest that Satan is the true God when he is clearly depicted in the Abrahamic scriptures as the true God's chief antagonist/adversary who corrupts people and leads them away from God into destruction. Satan is a god, just NOT of truth but of lies. So whatever religion that is centered on him and which actually teaches a warped sense of morality just has no place even in a pluralistic society or in any religious society for that matter.

Again, your discussion veers away from the original intent of the pastor. He was addressing the issue of whose god among all the thousands of them is the one true god. It is all too well to discuss pluralism if there is not the matter of exclusivity in most religions, especially the Allah and Yahweh/Jehovah-Jesus factions, wherein each one effectively excludes the other from being true.

Pluralism is really a social accommodation, born of the political movements of the Age of Enlightenment, to keep religious adherents from killing the unbelievers or infidels as they are wont to do.

Personally I don’t have problem with Christians or even Satanists as long as they abide by the rules of modern societies and keep their business to themselves and not use physical force or coercion to enforce their beliefs. That is the limit of accommodation and engagement in any sane society.

Interestingly, I find it amusing that even Satanists have their say on who possesses the absolute truth as you say.

continued...

I didn't say religion was based on reason and logic. It is its underlying foundational philosophical worldviews which proffer rational and logical basis. Examples of those are theism and its various forms (monotheism, polytheism, deism, pandeism, pantheism, panentheism,) animism, shamamism, henotheism, etc. Even modern atheism is built upon the premise of naturalism/materialism. Theism is distinct from religion. Don't confuse the two. Knowledge of religion is acquired mainly through revelation. But theism and other philosophical religious worldview is conceived through rich philosophic and rational investigation and discourse in different religious traditions that produced right end conclusions, and they actually either align with or correspond to the prevailing current scientific/cosmological worldview. This is also the reason why many ancient religions have long died out and have been superseded by the current major world religions. They are based, as you implied in your post, on the "god-of-the-gaps" reasoning which is already outdated. But the monotheistic and pantheistic religions of today are NOT based on god-of-the-gaps reasoning. As a matter of fact, both monotheistc (Abrahamic) and pantheistic (Dharmic/Taoic) religions precede their corresponding cosmological worldviews and scientific theories. Pantheism, which posits that the universe is infinte and eternal, is the base principle and religious counterpart of the now obsolete Steady State Theory. Scientists and atheists used to subscribe to this worldview/theory until it had been refuted by the Big Bang Theory of Fr. Georges Lemaitre which is logically consistent with his monotheism which asserts that the universe is finite and thus have a beginning and a cause. The atheist conundrum now shifted to disproving that the cause is supernatural hence the conception of the metaphysical ideas like the multiverse and quantum fluctuation. And just to remind you that the multiverse and quantum fluctuation are only ideas (for now). They are not valid scientific theories. So atheists are not close yet to "disproving" the monotheistic God let alone the God of the Bible.

The major world religions today (including atheism) have varying degrees of logical consistency, scientific validilty and evidential support. Their validily can actually be tested by using (a combination of) systematic methodologies (from science, history, logic, metaphysics/ontology) aimed to separate truth from error until all but one is ruled out as the (most) valid belief system.

Contrary to popular belief (and to the misconception of many people, religious and not), religion is not entirely based on faith. The use of reason and logic is also very important in matters of religion. Just like Pope John Paul II said, "Faith and reason are like two wings on which the human spirit rises to the contemplation of truth..."

First off, the god-of-the-gaps critique of religious approach is not outdated. You would wish it were, but it is not. The attitude of men of religion to ascribe to their gods what science presently has nothing to offer or is still investigating is an ongoing—and definitely will be enduring—feature of how such men approach anything under the sun.

The Steady State theory is also far from being obsolete. In fact, it is currently making a round of revival seeing that the BBT might not be the last word about the origin of the universe. What makes scientists throw a second look at BBT is the fact that the latter has nothing to say about singularity states and what came before them. In the hands of Ali and Daz, the Steady State theory is increasingly making a convincing argument in its revised interpretations.

Quantum fluctuations are far from being just a mere idea. They are a fact, one easily testable even in desktop experiments. More than that, there are now technologies directed at tapping at the source of all energies in the universe.

You build a case like religions are scientifically disposed to test any of their beliefs as it is done in science. Nothing could be farther from reality.

continued...

The purpose of archaeology or any related discipline is not to find out if there was anything supernatural going on in past societies but to learn about the development of those societies.

Hammer, level, handsaw, shovel alone or whatever cannot build a house without humans using these tools and applying their knowledge and skill in carpentry and contruction. Likewise, religion cannot build a civilization on its own since it's also just a tool. It was people who were religious that built civilizations and founded them upon the moral framework of their religion. And the success and lifespan of a civilization actually depends on the strength of its moral foundation. If you will study the history of past civilizations, there are common requirements for civilizations to thrive and also a handful of reasons why they inevitably collapse. One of the main reasons, apart from external factors like conquest and assimilation, why a civilization collapses is moral degeneration. People just forget and no longer adhere to the foundational values (which are based on their religion) of their civilization and that destroys the cohesion in that civilization which then results to a wide disarray and for which it is easier for other civilizations to conquer or usurp it. This is the reason why almost every pagan/polytheistic societies in the world have ceased to exist. Unlike monotheistic (Abrahamic) societies, pagan societies have no strict rules to live by therefore they are not as organized. They are VERY easy to conquer and displace because they are built on shaky foundation. And they also assimilate very easily into another culture even without conquest. Almost every pagan in the past had no problem accepting any god introduced to them which is not the case with Abrahamic societies.

Civilizations, like economics, are subject to cycles of birth and collapse. They peak to a certain golden age, before the economics of supply and demand nullifies further growth. The urban planners of past millennia just do not have the tools that we have now. It is all too well to cite moral degeneration as the cause of their fall after the fact, but more realistic is the collapse of food and water supplies from many natural and manmade calamities, pandemics, incessant wars, drought, flooding—infrastructure collapse—to make abandoning their cities the final right choice.

Remember that Abrahamic societies have nothing to include in any civilization worthy of mention even in antiquity. While Europe was wallowing in wars and ignorance, China, Japan, Korea, India, other older Eastern cultures, and Egypt have established themselves as mighty powers in their respective territories of influence, something that Abraham or his sons could only look with envy. Speaking of assimilation, try that with Japan, Korea, or China. The people of the bible just have nothing on them.

Of course this is not to say that religion did not play some decisive role at the dawn of human history for some cultures. It did and it should, as where it was strong, it was all that those civilizations have something to hold on to as a rallying point.

Likewise, primitive and especially violent societies are best approached by an appeal to supernatural forces and fear of them. But humanity has moved on light years from that era and that type of thinking once the age of reason and enlightenment arrived. And again—amidst all this—is the underlying fact that the artisan and the craftsman is not the same as the men garbed in priestly fabrics.

Last edited:
Again, your discussion veers away from the original intent of the pastor. He was addressing the issue of whose god among all the thousands of them is the one true god. It is all too well to discuss pluralism if there is not the matter of exclusivity in most religions, especially the Allah and Yahweh/Jehovah-Jesus factions, wherein each one effectively excludes the other from being true.

Pluralism is really a social accommodation, born of the political movements of the Age of Enlightenment, to keep religious adherents from killing the unbelievers or infidels as they are wont to do.

Personally I don’t have problem with Christians or even Satanists as long as they abide by the rules of modern societies and keep their business to themselves and not use physical force or coercion to enforce their beliefs. That is the limit of accommodation and engagement in any sane society.

Interestingly, I find it amusing that even Satanists have their say on who possesses the absolute truth as you say.

The idea of religious pluralism has always existed in the scriptures and teachings of various religions. It is inherent among those religions. Society has just started officially codifying and making laws and policies about religious pluralism and tolerance rather recently.

It's only the idea and conception of God that differ based on limited human understanding and that people have confused but YWHH, Christ, and Allah are essentially the same God. Christians, Jews, Muslims and even Hindus worship the same God. They just don't perceive God the exact same way.

Satanism and other false religions exist by HIJACKING other religions and twisting the truth taught by those legitimate religions. They are cults not religions. But they are tolerated nonetheless in liberal societies so long as they do nothing bad or harmful to anyone. The United States is actually one of the few countries in the world that legally recognizes the most bizarre religions and cults. It even classifies Secular Humanism as a religion.

First off, the god-of-the-gaps critique of religious approach is not outdated. You would wish it were, but it is not. The attitude of men of religion to ascribe to their gods what science presently has nothing to offer or is still investigating is an ongoing—and definitely will be enduring—feature of how such men approach anything under the sun.

The Steady State theory is also far from being obsolete. In fact, it is currently making a round of revival seeing that the BBT might not be the last word about the origin of the universe. What makes scientists throw a second look at BBT is the fact that the latter has nothing to say about singularity states and what came before them. In the hands of Ali and Daz, the Steady State theory is increasingly making a convincing argument in its revised interpretations.

Quantum fluctuations are far from being just a mere idea. They are a fact, one easily testable even in desktop experiments. More than that, there are now technologies directed at tapping at the source of all energies in the universe.

You build a case like religions are scientifically disposed to test any of their beliefs as it is done in science. Nothing could be farther from reality.

Have you been living under a rock? The Steady State Theory is already an obsolete idea in science. It (along with other related ideas about an infinite universe) is more metaphysical and theoretical than scientific. It has never been a valid scientific theory unlike the Big Bang. Quantum fluctuation, on the other hand, is more than just an ordinary idea but less than a scientific theory. It is not substantiated. Just like other popular ideas in science, quantum fluctuation is also theoretical and hypothetical but is yet to be refuted unlike the Steady State Theory. And if ever it was shown to be true, it would still not "disprove" God. Do you know what quantum fluctuation disproves? Materialism and determinism - two atheistic philosophies and main intellectual opponents of belief in God.

Civilizations, like economics, are subject to cycles of birth and collapse. They peak to a certain golden age, before the economics of supply and demand nullifies further growth. The urban planners of past millennia just do not have the tools that we have now. It is all too well to cite moral degeneration as the cause of their fall after the fact, but more realistic is the collapse of food and water supplies from many natural and manmade calamities, pandemics, incessant wars, drought, flooding—infrastructure collapse—to make abandoning their cities the final right choice.

Remember that Abrahamic societies have nothing to include in any civilization worthy of mention even in antiquity. While Europe was wallowing in wars and ignorance, China, Japan, Korea, India, other older Eastern cultures, and Egypt have established themselves as mighty powers in their respective territories of influence, something that Abraham or his sons could only look with envy. Speaking of assimilation, try that with Japan, Korea, or China. The people of the bible just have nothing on them.

Of course this is not to say that religion did not play some decisive role at the dawn of human history for some cultures. It did and it should, as where it was strong, it was all that those civilizations have something to hold on to as a rallying point.

Likewise, primitive and especially violent societies are best approached by an appeal to supernatural forces and fear of them. But humanity has moved on light years from that era and that type of thinking once the age of reason and enlightenment arrived. And again—amidst all this—is the underlying fact that the artisan and the craftsman is not the same as the men garbed in priestly fabrics.

The fact that the Chinese, Hindu and Jewish civilizations have lasted (despite thousands of years of invasion and banishment in the case of the Jewish people) while other other civilizations (Persian, Egyptian, Roman, Greek, Phoenician, Mesopotamian, Indus Valley), some of which are even arguably greater or older, have long gone invalidates your argument. Scholars attribute their enduring continuity to their strong religious/moral foundation, and the COMMON reason for the collapse of other great civilizations mainly to the loss of virtues (also related to their religious/moral foundation) on the part of their citizens which made it easier for other civilizations to conquer them or to just simply die on their own and be assimilated into another civilization due to loss of cultural identity. The natural factors you have cited were enough to disintegrate and wipe out simple societies/smaller civilizations but not the more complex and advanced civilizations like those I've mentioned. BTW, the Hebrew civilization was an advanced civilization, even moreso than the Romans that conquered them. They just lacked the firepower of the Romans which inevitably became the reason why they succumbed to their conquerors. However, they outlasted all of their conquerors and enemies which is a testament to the promise that God made to them.

The ancient Chinese, Japanese and Korean civilizations had enough head start to flourish due to their isolation and remoteness (and thus also had few external threats) whereas, for thousands of years, ancient Abrahamic societies had constantly engaged in battles with their neighbors for which they were victorious in the end. The isolation and remoteness of these FAR Eastern civilizations also spared them from Christianization. They had never really been under western imperial rule. But even so, these societies (especially South Korea) have become HIGHLY westernized (adopting certain aspects of western culture which is heavily Christian-based) in recent decades. China is now on course to have the LARGEST population of Christians of any country in 15 years while Christianity is ALREADY the largest religion in South Korea so Christianity still won in the end.

Abraham couldn't care less about what he might have missed in his lifetime when God's promises to him that he will bear countless seeds which will scatter all over the world and that they will be the greatest in the world are unfolding right in front of his eyes in heaven. The western civilization which is part of the continuum of the Judaeo-Christian civilization is the greatest civilization in history and the pinnacle of humanity. It has been the central source of almost all human knowledge for centuries and has a universal influence like no other. Too bad it's now being gradually ruined by secularism and multiculturalism and people don't even know it.

Last edited:
There's too many things to argue. I'll let the phycisist do the thing.

I'll just focus on this one.

Epicurus states that:
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?

He's talking about a being that is omniscient, omnibenevolent and omnipotent that has big problem of removing evil in this world.
A couple of questions:
1. He's making an argument about god. What's the point of a human free will?

2. Granted that we took human freewill in the account, doesn't it look like it's interfering with the god's grand plan?
Something like below.

3. There's some problem with human freewill by the way.
But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart and he would not listen to Moses and Aaron, just as the LORD had said to Moses. Exodus 9:12
Why scramble someone else's freewill? Isn't that evil already?

Last edited:
^ The point of free will is for humans, unlike all other creation, to have a choice between good and evil, between everlasting life with God in heaven and complete separation from God in hell. God gives us free will so that we can be persons. Without free will, we would only be clever animals without a soul and a purpose.

God's ultimate plan is for humans to partake in the eternal life with Him in heaven and that would have never been possible in the absence of free will. One cannot go to heaven unless he is redeemed and saved. He cannot be redeemed and saved if he did not sin. All men sin and thus are granted the grace of redemption and salvation. And they could not possibly sin without the freedom to choose. So the fall of man into sin fits perfectly into God's plan of salvation by the atoning sacrifice of Christ. And free will played a major role in carrying out that plan.

That Exodus verse has been answered already many times in the internet. The common apologetics to that is that God did not violate the Pharaoh's free will. If you actually took some time to read the whole story, the Pharaoh hardened his heart too many times prior to God confirming his actions for him in the end. The Pharaoh was utterly hopeless. He would have not listened to Moses and Aaron, either way. Evil people are already predisposed to their wickedness, so God hardening their heart are not any more or less of swaying them from what they are inclined to do anyway.

^- Thank you for clarifying things up. We'll be sticking on this topic and seek the answers we need.

Have a nice day :)

continued...

Religious authorities, in general, hold a very conservative position especially in issues involving morality but don't equate religion to being an impediment to scientific and social progress. Religious institutions are just cautious that they prefer to stick with the tried and tested normative principles and religious wisdom that made it possible for their civilization to thrive and last this long. An open dialogue between the government and religious institutions would have cleared confusions and misconceptions both on their part. Again, eradicating religion has never been a good solution.

The issue of RH bill is not an issue of morality; rather, it is plainly seen as an affront to the authority and internal code of living unique to the Catholic Church and other forms of Christianity (I don’t really have a figure about other denominations or sects). On the other hand, the Vatican has constantly met with flak from countries already strained from various economic and population issues. It is not the first time that the Vatican has found itself on the wrong side of the fence about many things in society. Its attitude about homosexuality and the ordination of women, along with abuses of altar boys by priests all over the world are just some of the issues that easily come to mind. Are these issues paramount to morality and the survival of societies? No, but they are paramount to the freedom of choice that is the essence of rational societies. They are not “tried and tested normative principles and religious wisdom” as you claim. They are merely opposing views to the position of the Catholic Church that threaten their powers of prerogative, enough to earn the ire of church authorities and perhaps burning at the stake sessions in age past. Fortunately, people are wise to the ways of the Vatican, not just now, but for longer time.

continued...

It is not the role of religion to unite countries (that's politics) but people regardless of countriy, ethnicity, language and cultural background. And this has more to do with moral unity even amidst diversity. It means that they all share the same moral sentiments and general ethical standards in a society.
Czechoslovakia is no more. It has split into two countries already since 1993. And they are not particularly remarkable compared to the more religious European countries like Ireland, Luxembourg, Austria. BTW, Slovakia is a religious country. You could've cited a better example. LOL.
Scandinavian countries are probably the closest to a utopian society. Wealthy, peaceful, progressive, liberal, educated. Yes, they are not quite religious which is a result of their very high socioeconomic class, and not the cause. (More than any other factor, it is the economic status that has a negative correlation to religiosity.) But don't ignore the fact that these countries have been deeply religious for centuries. I mean, look at the cross in their flags. And the fact that they have state churches. These countries are historically Protestant since the 16th century and have integrated the so-called "Protestant work ethic" into their way of life. In case you didn't know, Protestant work ethic is a cultural ethos that is derived from the Bible that encourages hard work and frugal living and is also the driving force behind capitalism and the reason for the economic progress of Protestant-based countries which is also the reason why Protestant countries (US, UK, Scandinavia/Nordic countries, Netherlands) are generally wealthier than Catholic countries (Spain, Italy, France, Poland, Latin American countries). And although these countries are becoming increasingly secular, this particular cultural ethos persists. So let's not pretend that religion did not have a massive role in shaping their society into what it is today.

Now you are rebutting your own previous arguments about religions as a unifying force.

There are many unifying forces in societies, but foremost of them are race/ethnicities, language, color, and culture. Religion is at best a fleeting unifying force, easily forgotten when pieces of lands, petroleum and other resources critical to the survival of countries take precedence above petty and superficial unifying forces. Proof? You know it: World War I and II were fought by Christians whose very own New Testament at least teaches nothing but peace and nonviolence. AS for Muslims, the Shiites and Sunnis are killing each other for centuries now, and there is nary any sign in the horizon that it is going to stop soon.

Ah yes, I mean the Czech republic instead of Czechoslovakia. You are of course quite right that they were previously the apex of religion, Christianity even, and I will even say that not just them, but the whole of Europe. What turned them away from the old faith? So many things come to mind, but I will not go there. Perhaps, a few words are enough: they have found better ways. And for that, there is some interesting study made awhile back.

continued... (last part)

The society/civilization mentioned in your first link had already disappeared even millenias before the Europeans sat foot on that continent probably decimated by another (barbaric) native American civilization for being so unwarily passive.
I could also post the lists of Christian scientists, and Catholic scientists, and Roman Catholic cleric scientists, and Christian Nobel laureates, and Jesuit scientists, and Jewish scientists, and Muslim scientists, and Quakers in science and Hindu scientists. I mean, the number of religious people, past and present, and their contributions to science patently overwhelm those of the atheist scientists. And for the record, it's not true that most contemporary scientists are atheists. That's an atheist propaganda. 51% of scientists believe in God and 48% have a religious affiliation. Only 17% are actual atheists.
Science is a secular pursuit. There is no single religion or group that has monopoly on science. It is open to all participants from ALL religious faiths. And there is no particular position that a scientist must assume as science is neutral in matters of belief.
And your last paragraph would have been reasonable if not many political and legal concepts and principles in the West like secularism, separation of church and state, human rights, freedom of conscience, branches of the government/separation of powers, rule of law, due process and a lot more have their actual roots in the Judaeo-Christian Bible whereas the Islamic world has an entirely different version of those which are derived from their own scripture.
Atheists have no reason to deny or be mad in learning that the society they live in is founded by the institution that they don't believe in. And it's useless disputing this fact as the United States Congress has affirmed and made it clear that very foundation of our civilization was indeed built specifically upon the Judaeo-Christian values.

"Whereas Congress recognizes the historical tradition of ethical values and principles which are the basis of civilized society and upon which our great Nation was founded; Whereas these ethical values and principles have been the bedrock of society from the dawn of civilization, when they were known as the Seven Noahide Laws."

The Olmecs, the Mayans, Aztecs, and those other countless South American civilizations were never entirely different from the other civilizations of Europe, Asia, South Asia, subject to the same principles of peace and war throughout their histories. Bear in mind amidst this that most world cultures were at one time or another human sacrifice-practicing traditions. Even the Hebrews are subject to such practices, before saner heads took over and eradicated the practice once and for all, labeling them as anathema to humans and gods alike, yet the irony is that even Abraham was willing to sacrifice Isaac for that. Heck, even the myth of Jesus is cloaked in the concept of sacrifice and bloodbath if you know what I mean, Jesus being called the ultimate and final sacrifice to redemption. A lot of things can happen in the human head, as psychologists will readily tell you.

What does it mean? It means that the Spaniards landed at the American coasts at a wrong time, when the Spaniards’ sensitivities were high against human sacrifice (forgetting that they were just early graduates of it) and the need for natural resources and wealth were critical to the campaigns against the hated enemy, England, and the Mayans and Aztecs were at that stage of their history where the merits of human sacrifice were hotly debated and contested among the ruling elites. Did you get that? Left alone to their own devices, the Mayans and Aztecs themselves would have gotten rid of the abominable practice themselves without prodding from external elements. As it was, they paid dearly by the sheer coincidence of history.

No one’s stopping you from posting the number of Christian or even Thuggee scientists. In my case, it just occurred to me that there was once a study of members of the National Academy of Sciences in the United States where it was found that a good 93% of them were atheists (Vatican post, even, I think). Now if you want a more comprehensive profile about this, there is just one that does that for what it’s worth.

I wouldn’t really mind if the pope himself was a scientist. It would just mean that he got it wrong in some parts of his life. Why?
Many things constitute a man. One might get it right that atoms are made of electrons and protons, yet still subscribe to the cult of Ahura Mazda. In this case, we say that he got it right in one part, but totally miss the other part. He is not an atheist, by all means; he is a theist in the dodo category, we would say now, in hindsight. But in the peak of that religion somewhere in Persian golden age, who would say that he was mortally wrong?

I am appalled that you are so whacked out to claim that most of the principles of modern societies have their roots in the bible. Substantiate. Perhaps you mean the Magna Carta and the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights. There is a reason that the latter ones excluded any matters of religions during their promulgation: religion has so far torn the Old World apart to let any of that bull do it again in the good ole US of A.

Our civilization founded on Judaeo-Christian values? The corrupted parts of it that tears the world apart even now, yes, but the ones that worked went all the way from classical Greece and Rome. China, India, and Egypt would also have their say about that too.

“Atheists have no reason to deny or be mad in learning that the society they live in is founded by the institution that they don't believe in”? Hell, no! Who or what even put that idea in your head? See, my parents and their parents before them were devoted Catholics all. Do I hate them now? No! In fact, I love them dearly. I can even afford to smile at the little lies they told me when I was young. You know—the lot about Mama Virgin Mary, Sta. Claus, etc. etc. How could I hate them for those? I enjoyed the time I believed those, but I’ve gotten old and wiser. Recalling those episodes, I could not help but smile, you know. They were good people, and they had no way of knowing any better. See, I happen to remember the fond words of Santayana: “I believe there is no god, and that Mary is his mother.”

Done! :)

- - - Updated - - -

The idea of religious pluralism has always existed in the scriptures and teachings of various religions. It is inherent among those religions. Society has just started officially codifying and making laws and policies about religious pluralism and tolerance rather recently.

It's only the idea and conception of God that differ based on limited human understanding and that people have confused but YWHH, Christ, and Allah are essentially the same God. Christians, Jews, Muslims and even Hindus worship the same God. They just don't perceive God the exact same way.

Satanism and other false religions exist by HIJACKING other religions and twisting the truth taught by those legitimate religions. They are cults not religions. But they are tolerated nonetheless in liberal societies so long as they do nothing bad or harmful to anyone. The United States is actually one of the few countries in the world that legally recognizes the most bizarre religions and cults. It even classifies Secular Humanism as a religion.

Show any part of the scriptures or teachings of other religions that prescribe religious pluralism. Inherent among those religions? Enlighten me, because for the life of me I just couldn’t see the Brahmins sharing with the other castes the goodies of their societies, or the followers of Allah allowing even the establishment of any other church in their holy lands. It appears you are reading texts we ordinary humans have no access to.

This I have to hear from Muslims themselves that God YWHH, Christ, and Allah are the same. Figment of imagination, yes. Let us not read too much conclusions where none exist. I would, however, grant a further investigation to the claim that Mohammed himself, when he said that all he wanted was to bring back the old faith, referred to the god Vishnu, or Krishna or whatever of the Hindu faith, as, even in the times of Voltaire, it was readily understood that all faiths, including Judaism, Christianity, and Hinduism, all have their roots in the Indus Valley civilization. This is not an empty claim. For that, there is this strange work.

AS that site that I gave you claim, it was Christianity that stole from and HIJACKED old mysticism practices that we now call Satanism, the latter having been there thousands of years before Jesus ever saw Bethlehem and Pontius Pilate himself. I would not go as far as to believe all their claims, but man, do they make such a compelling case! Besides, they are not the stereotypical Satanists that people came to believe them to be. Fortunately, I am far beyond all the issues discussed to even care.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you been living under a rock? The Steady State Theory is already an obsolete idea in science. It (along with other related ideas about an infinite universe) is more metaphysical and theoretical than scientific. It has never been a valid scientific theory unlike the Big Bang. Quantum fluctuation, on the other hand, is more than just an ordinary idea but less than a scientific theory. It is not substantiated. Just like other popular ideas in science, quantum fluctuation is also theoretical and hypothetical but is yet to be refuted unlike the Steady State Theory. And if ever it was shown to be true, it would still not "disprove" God. Do you know what quantum fluctuation disproves? Materialism and determinism - two atheistic philosophies and main intellectual opponents of belief in God.

You really enjoyed this part, didn't you. :lol:

Well, apparently and as I suspected, you are far from being aware of the latest developments in science, especially physics and cosmology. It is so that I am almost tempted to call out your ignorance in the field, and yet here you are insinuating I have been living under a rock. I just love it when people are so brave like ants exuding confidence yet substantiated by nothing but their egos.

But apparently I am holding back to the temptation. As it is, I’ve known long ago that physics and cosmology are not everybody’s cup of tea, so I’m willing to close my eyes to arrogance and ignorance, a deadly combo if you ask me.

You will recall that I’ve mentioned the names Ali and Das. I did that to see how far you are willing to go down the road of investigation and updating your knowledge on the subject. Obviously you chose the shorter method.

Now to the subject of Steady State Theory: The Steady State Theory is dead. Long live the Steady State Theory!

Why? Because, for all intent and purposes, the newest models proposed by these scientists are creating quite a stir in the scientific community (and, gulp—religious communities!). Why? They take care of singularities that BBT could not hope to explain away. What else? They are able to shed some light on the nature of dark energy and dark matter in one fell swoop.

Now, before things get out of hand, let us make one thing clear: Das and Ali’s papers are not refutation of BBT. Rather, they are meant to extend the BBT to areas it could not go. However—and this is a big HOWEVER—in the process, they do away with matters of beginnings and ends, limiting concepts for most human brains, suggesting instead that the universe has lived and will live forever. Sounds familiar? Yes, it’s the steady state theory all over again, in new mathematical and computational dressings.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. There is a lot of work needed to be done still, but the die is cast in the direction of some established theories at this exciting point of time for sure.

Quantum fluctuations and God: when nothing is able to come up with everything, who needs god? No wonder the Churchmen are so vehemently against the concept of quantum fluctuations. God is about beginnings and ends. Quantum fluctuations and a steady state theory that speaks of no beginnings and endings are thus an anathema and an abomination to the religious at heart.

And this is not all.

Remember the also-ran and long dead aether theory? Yes? Then, what do you know, it is also making a comeback from the dead. Ask me why, I might elucidate.

Last edited:
^- about the BBT-SS thingy , he might know about the brane a thing or two.

Good morning. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom