Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Atheists and Agnostics Meeting Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a very relevant topic.

Yesterday I came across a person claiming to be an atheist who posited that creationism should NOT be taught in schools -- even in religion subjects -- because it grossly contradicts 'proven' scientific theories of our existence. He said that it will just confuse the students since science subjects tell a different story while creationism also has it's own unique story to tell.

He specially lamented on the fact that a good chunk of our educational institutions in the country are run by religious organizations; thus, he felt that students are most probably being influenced with their religious teachings, specially the concept of creationism as a valid reason to explain why and how we came to be. From the cosmological level (expanding/contracting universe, big-bang theory) down to the theories of evolution, relativity and other countless scientific theories that explain the hows and whys of our existence, all of these are backed up by hard, scientific and empirical data. So teaching creationism, according to him, should be banned in schools as it has now become obsolete and only adds to the confusion.

I immediately disagreed with him and proceeded to giving him a little sermon:

"I have been almost exclusively educated by catholic-run schools for the most part of my student life and I haven't experienced being forcefully taught that creationism is the main basis of our existence. Creationism as a topic in our religion subjects, yes; but never as an evidence-based scientific theory or concept. Basing on my experience, I can honestly say that religion-owned schools even have liberal tendencies, specially when it comes to teaching scientific subjects or theories. It (creationism and all that jazz) has never been an issue or a conflict when it came to teaching science to their students.

If you dismiss or suppress a concept merely on principle -- and I assume you are against the teaching of creationism because it conflicts with your stand and belief as an atheist -- then you'll be guilty of not following scientific reasoning. And here I thought that atheists base their assumptions and beliefs on sound scientific research. How then can students formulate sound hypotheses if you deny them access to a different school of thought on the said subject? Don't you think it will not hamper with their critical thinking?

Now let me ask you this. The hanky I'm holding in my hand is white. Do you agree?"

"Yes," he said.

"Well then, how do you know this is white if you haven't seen other colors?"

p.s. matagal tagal na pala akong di nakaka bisita todits. haba ng back log.

pasilip lang mga atis, musta na?

si boss padre pio napadalaw, long time no visit ah he he he.....

saka na ako makikipagtalo tungkol sa pagtuturo ng creationism sa schools at iba ang takbo ng mind ko ngayon he he he....

pero for me lang ha, religion should not even be taught in schools, merong bahay at simbahan para dyan na mas bagay ituro keysa mga eskwelahan.

pano, hanap hanap muna me ng work at matagal tagal na rin akong natambay he he he.....

ako naman kelangan ko na ng bakasyon.

@topic

i've been to three schools owned by sects, one of which is non-sectarian, which was New Era University. it doesn't have religion classes but participates in religious activities which are optional for non-INC students. as of the other two (one owned by methodists and the other by baptists), they have religion classes but they don't contradict the science classes in it out of respect to outsider beliefs. so having these in the curriculum, i don't really mind as long as they don't shove doctrines down my throat. nakakairita lang yung part na they have actual units/credits that you need to pay for, but then again, it's business for both the school and religion so i guess normal na yun.

sa tingin ko creationism or evolution kailangan ituro as body of knowledge. mahirap sa ibang schools nageexert sila
ng sobrang pressure. they will tag you as "unscientific", minsan naman "lost soul".

Theory of Evolution is part of Natural Science, like Thermodynamics in Physics.
Creationism is like Mythology so it maybe be taught as in General Knowledge and it should not be taken as part in Science curriculum..

salamat at behave tayo dito,,wag na lang patulan pag may nambubuyo dito, baka mamaya forever na maglock ang tambayan nating ito

gandang hapon

and i got good grades in religious education subjects back in college :lol:

good day heathens..

Last edited:
Sorry to some brethren but I have to agree with PadrePio. I think it's just a freedom of religion/expression issue. I don't even think any sectarian school here teaches creationism on a scientific standpoint. They teach creationism only in religion classes; stripped of any scientific theory.

If this society is predominantly atheist, then religion classes per se "could" be banned by virtue of "majority" pressure in a "non-ideal" democratic landscape. If it's "ideal" democracy reigning, why ban at all?

On the contrary, I think "religion" classes should be promoted! Why? because schools with religion classes produce more intellectual atheist than those without. Presented with "duality" and "contradiction" of facts/myths, the potential atheist's mind is challenged to "think" for himself.

Hypothetically, atheistic school would most likely produce "atheists" only. Without the "mind and emotion" being challenged as much, the intellect might not be as stimulated. I, too, am a student of a catholic school for some time. Perhaps I owe to them my "early atheism" and the realization that basically, there are just "two" kinds of people :D.

In short, sectarian/religious schools teaching religion "aggressively" are good funnels to separate sheeps from goats just as the bible says. (sarcastic smile)

The funny part here is the duality of philosophy being adhered to by religious doctors and "pre-scientists". Initially, they have to believe in both contradicting philosophies. :lol:

P.S.
I said "funnels" what I really meant was "filters".
When I say "atheist" I generally mean "all freethinkers".

Last edited:
well, as of now there is no schools yet who teaches creationism.

but what IF in the future there is? then what?

Sorry to some brethren but I have to agree with PadrePio. I think it's just a freedom of religion/expression issue. I don't even think any sectarian school here teaches creationism on a scientific standpoint. They teach creationism only in religion classes; stripped of any scientific theory.

If this society is predominantly atheist, then religion classes per se "could" be banned by virtue of "majority" pressure in a "non-ideal" democratic landscape. If it's "ideal" democracy reigning, why ban at all?

On the contrary, I think "religion" classes should be promoted! Why? because schools with religion classes produce more intellectual atheist than those without. Presented with "duality" and "contradiction" of facts/myths, the potential atheist's mind is challenged to "think" for himself.

Hypothetically, atheistic school would most likely produce "atheists" only. Without the "mind and emotion" being challenged as much, the intellect might not be as stimulated. I, too, am a student of a catholic school for some time. Perhaps I owe to them my "early atheism" and the realization that basically, there are just "two" kinds of people :D.

In short, sectarian/religious schools teaching religion "aggressively" are good funnels to separate sheeps from goats just as the bible says. (sarcastic smile)

The funny part here is the duality of philosophy being adhered to by religious doctors and "pre-scientists". Initially, they have to believe in both contradicting philosophies. :lol:

P.S.
I said "funnels" what I really meant was "filters".
When I say "atheist" I generally mean "all freethinkers".

I think this summarizes it.although based on my experience iyong pagtuturo ng iglesia katolika ay malaking impluwensiya sa pananaw ng maraming Pilipino.May punto nga para maihiwalay yong mga *black sheep* kaso yong pamimilit sa mga bat a minsan Hindi maganda.sabi ng a habang bata ang kawayan ay hutukin ito para di lumaking baluktot.

Islamic State terrorists have begun their promised killing of Christians ... "where they actually beheaded children and put their heads on a stick ... These are the people who were warned - convert to Islam of be put to the sword.

http://www.catholic.org/news/international/middle_east/story.php?id=56481

- - - Updated - - -

Islamic State terrorists have begun their promised killing of Christians ... "where they actually beheaded children and put their heads on a stick ... These are the people who were warned - convert to Islam of be put to the sword.

http://www.catholic.org/news/international/middle_east/story.php?id=56481

if you believe you are created by the universe who created the universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom