Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Atheists and Agnostics Meeting Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
may torrent pa rin naman, di na nga lang gaya ng dati. ngayon pag may target ako na film at meron dito di na ako lumalayo. :lol:

sa tablet ko lang ako nagdadownload tapos pinapabayaan ko lang overnight. pagising ko ayun tapos na hehe. 1080p

sa desktop ako then lipat sa ibang gadgets. IDM lang matagal na 2 hours for 1080p, hehe. sa office mas masarap, ilang mins lang 2gb download, haha.

dami, but the latest salvo on gravitational waves from neutron star collision takes the cake. i have it one of my threads here. funny thing is i managed to find one lone source that ran a story hours ahead of the official press conference. i was worried i stumbled upon fake news so i watched developments. turned out the source was correct.

ah yan yung nagpa fb live pa sila for the announcement. interesting

yep. thing is scientists from LIGO had a hard time keeping a lid on the story. they had it figured by aug 17 and ever since they had to find a way to keep other scientists involved in the project quiet before yesterday's official press conference. 4600 scientists as coauthors for the grand event, plus hundreds more scientific papers from individual scientists. 7 continents, 70 land telescopes, 7 satellites managed to capture the event in all its glory throughout the whole electromagnetic spectrum, from gamma rays, ultraviolet, infrared, x-ray, radio waves—on top of the gravitational wave that started it all, of course. it's like 3D IMAX, which sent scientists to astronomical heaven. haha. the videos are already amazing, but i figure many are still coming soon. visuals and sound—just WOW! haha

- - - Updated - - -

i watched most of the press conference last night. one thing stuck out in my mind: if those 4600 authors won a Nobel, how much would each share amount to? :lol:

many scientists declared the unfolding events were the happiest days of their lives. the studies are still ongoing, since the afterglow of the event could still be detected at the radio spectrum. because of the extreme global collaboration, many have labeled it multimessenger effort. i guess that would stick around forever. truly momentously historical.

Last edited:
in our earth time, gaano ba kadalas mangyari ang ganito? i mean, in every hour may mga ganito bang nangyayari or we are just lucky to see that event in our lifetime?

i can only put that in a context. for a galaxy the size of our milky way, there are estimated to be 100 million neutron stars. out of this, 5% are estimated to be configured in a binary state. binary states could coexist for 11 billion years until they finally come too close for comfort and spiral toward each other, finally merging into a larger neutron star or a blackhole in a fiery process. that was what happened to the binary that gave off such violent firework on aug 17.

there is one gamma ray burst event everyday detected on earth. now it is finally confirmed gamma rays originate from binary neutron collisions, and from faraway galaxies. gamma ray burst duration depends on the angle of the rays while under focus of telescopic instruments. mostly they don't align perfectly, so they are observed only for a few seconds at birth. that is why telescopes alone could not identify their origins, although it's already established they must come from faraway galaxies. why? because if they occur in the local Milky Way galaxy, we wouldn't be around talking about them. their energies could totally wipe out ecosystems upon direct hit. they are that powerful.

that is why black holes, even though more powerful, are less exciting. they don't emit light (electromagnetic waves), so no way for nongravitational wave instruments to detect them. but neutron stars, they're a different animal: they are the closest thing to a universal firework display, and it showed in the happy faces of scientists who, throughout the conference, looked like kids having discovered where their moms hid the candies.

- - - Updated - - -

actually dinadigest ko pa din sya ngayon. im looking for more updates on this one. i would like to feel the same feeling tulad ng mga scientists hehe

okay. haha. i had my family up last night to go through all the presentations. i checked the net to get a feel of how the rest of the world was responding and i was shocked to see the topic flooding the net. there were simultaneous press conferences everywhere, including germany. i figured all the scientists involved in the project wanted to be there. they all looked in party mood, giggling their way into the whole affair. even the media present and in the internet were in the whole party mood and they prob did. haha

actually i told my theist friend about that and he said, "so naniniwala na ang mga scientist ngayon na may dyos talaga". and i just laugh. i said, on the contrary, mukhang hindi ganun. baka mas lalo pang nagdagdag ng mga reasons yun para lalong hindi maniwala. sana that phenomenon will spark more curiosity to people.

i could not help sympathize with these people who could not enjoy these stupendous cosmic events for what they are. they just have to pull down the filter of their deities to gloss over the whole thing. it's gross being unable to appreciate nature in all it's blistering glory, but nothing that can be done with minds awash in dogma. how could any people prefer to wrap and warp things in mystery instead of understanding the mechanics and be awed how it all works out in a grand nature display. hehe

Last edited:
because its too hard to comprehend these events hehe. mas madaling sabihing gawa yan ng isang god kesa sa ang mag-isip papano yun nangyari. you know, it is easier to free-up our memory than putting lots of bytes. im waiting for our mainstream media to cover this one. let's see if magiging primetime news ba sya mamaya.

satin kase wala talagang existing na communicator ang science sector. yung tipong magtitiyaga ipaliwanag ang mga scientific concepts and events in layman's term. yung magpaparating sa mga tao how the deepest or simplest scientific concepts affect their lives thru technologies that benefit them directly either as home appliances, gadgetries, or full-scale, large-scale service establishment. so alienated ang mga scientists, ang mga tao naman feeling walang pakialam sa kanila ang mga tao sa science. disjointed, walang connection ang nangyayari, which favors religions to impose their nonsense to the minds of unwitting citizens. haha

vicious cycle din talaga ang socioeconomic situation satin. there's not much time for people to spend thinking on these things. hirap kumayod, pagod na pagdating sa bahay asikaso ng maraming bagay. pagtapos tulog na, hehe. anong neutron star neutron star na yan. hehe. then these people could not earn decent enough to send their kids to good schools, so later in life these future adults would just repeat the ways their parents lived. tama na yung may spiritual well being punta church even for formalities na lang then try to squeeze in good times in between. life for pinoys. hehe

pag-asa lang natin yung mga kabataan na may innate curiosity and able to carry themselves thru higher education and later work no matter their socioeconomic backgrounds. despite the culture of superstition that threatens to kill off their talents everyday. kaya pag tumama ka lotto set up ka meaningful scholarships, haha

coudnt agree more. ultimo nga ang supposed to be science-oriented show na "Matanglawin" ay nagfi-feature ng mga stories about superstitions and supernatural beings. Though sasabihin nila na legends lang naman daw yung mga yun but the way kung papano sya ipresent sa mga bata lumalabas na parang totoo sya. Subjects nga sa college grabe ang religious education. I came from a Catholic university and yung religious subjects dun kapareho ng units ng mga minor subjects. And every semester meron up to the last year. I don't have problems with literatures since it is taught as "literature" naman and not as a "fact" just like those religious subjects.

Dami ko naging kaklase sa college mga seminarista. Ayun awa ng diyos halos lahat atheist na ngayon. Haha. I saw most of them cry during debates in philo class, but they stood no chance against savvy profs. Later on pag pinag-uusapan namin yung part na yun natatawa na lang sila. What's curious is that sila mismo nagsasabi that deep inside may doubts naman sila, but among themselves they wouldn't out it. It took the critical subjects to unravel their beliefs. Sa work may kasama ako seminarista director pa ng bigtime religious org. Guy doesn't believe in any of the crap the church sells to the masses, but thought positions in the church hierarchy offer that much remuneration to turn down. And the girls. He is that type of guy. Hindi ko malimutan isang line nya: "You have to see to believe what those in the innermost circle of the church do. If every folk in the streets know, they'd be out the church in droves." Haha Which is the point: it takes those in the innermost circles to know what's really going on behind the scenes. Eh kaya mga priest tingnan mo, walang pakundangan gumawa ng kalokohan left and right.

I totally ban local TV shows in the house, especially those teledramas. I know how toxic they are for young minds. Hehe Yun na nga, it's supposed to be artistic license and all, pero the way they put it in those shows were designed to lodge in young minds forever, unless they encounter views counter to these crappy mindsets.

- - - Updated - - -

I totally love this video. Been playing this since it was outed. Mind-blowing, especially with the audio background. Epic.

Last edited:
my brother-in-law was an ex-seminarista. sya na mismo nagsasabi na grabe din daw ang pulitika sa loob ng hierarchy. hindi ka magiging obispo kung wala ka kapit sa taas. at talagang tinatago ng simbahan ang mga "skalawag" na mga pari tulad nung mga namomolestya. hindi na sya nakapagpatuloy ng pagpapari kasi yung sponsor nya nag backout na. he's so disappointed. but now, mukhang kapatid na din yata yun sa kawalang pananampalataya. im not sure though kasi nakita ko sa ibang mga post nya yung quotes ng atheism eh. hindi din ako nag attempt na magtanong.

last night im waiting for the mainstream media to do a report on the collision of stars since it was a big news in the scientific community and may mga provided materials pa to support. wala pa din. ayun the usual stuff in philippine news. more than 50% of the content ng mga news puro negative issues.

that just goes to show what the media really think of the filipino people: they don't look too highly of the people to be receptive to such science content, no matter how relevant it really is to their lives. they only broadcast what they think would sell to the people, along with content paid for by big-money entities and the self-serving agendas those entities pursue.

years ago may binigay na book sakin isang close friend ko. it's about the confessions of a priest, a vatican insider no less. it's not fit for mass consumption is all i could say. it easily paints all the priesthood in all their obscene, lewd glory, graphically depicting how the most powerful vatican personalities indulge in all kinds of debauchery while showing straight face to the people they serve. it was duly banned by the vatican. i lost the book somewhere in the middle of relocations, but i think i could find a digital version if i put my mind to it. what's funny is that the friend who gave it to me is a longtime deMolay member and quite active in church affairs.

i think the priesthood themselves made it easy for people all over the world to turn to unbelief. look at what they did there in Boston. Just wow. Billions in litigations and payment of class suits left and right. Then there's that equally explosive one in Granada, Spain, no less. Then Australia involving so many altar boys, the all-time fav of the priests, hehe. Then Mexico and some other large numbers in South America. Etc., etc.. And we're not even talking of the total wackos in the midst of people, like the one in that famous Waco, Texas, episode that made the headlines all over the world. There's even a website that counts all the statistical casualties of church atrocities. Ah meron din tayo nung kelan, yung priest sa Antipolo, caught in the act while having a good time with a minor. Apprehended with guns too. haha

^yes. he's a family friend of my boss. and they were so "shookted". :lol: hindi daw nila akalain na magagawa yun nung monsignor. and now what happened? wala na yatang balita. and this CBCP is diverting their issues with the latest Marawi incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom