Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Betta Fish/Siamese Fighting Fish Hobbyist

arrenskie

Amateur
Advanced Member
Reaction score
Betta Fish Hobbyist

Mga co-aquarist specially betta keepers, dito tayo magchat at magusap usap, change thoughts, ideas and sharing some pics of our beloved bettas. kung kailangan niyo ng tulong or tips, i'll be more than happy to help you. kung may inquiries kayo i'll answer it with the knowledge i have.

For a start, here are some basic guides for beginners for a betta
keeping.

Introduction:
Bettas are one of the most popular fish kept. Most people think they need zero to little care, but that is not the case. We mostly see betta fish in a tiny bowl or cup sold in a Fish Store, so many thinks that a betta can survive even in a little cup for their whole life. yeah it's true that a betta can live longer in a cup because of their labyrinth organs but what would you feel if you were also kept in a cup, and live where you poop. as you read more you'll learn a lot about bettas. HOPE YOU ENJOY!

Information
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Subphylum: Vertebrata
Class: Actinoptergii
Order: Perciformes
Suborder: Anabantoidei
Family: Belontiidae
Genus: Betta
Species: Betta splendens

-Scientific Name: Betta spendens
-Common Names: Betta, Siamese Fighting Fish
-Care Level: Easy when under proper conditions (see needed tank supplies)
-Max Size: 3 inches
-pH level: 6.0-8.0
-Temperature: Should not fall below 76, better yet 78 degrees. A good range is 76-86F. Bettas are tropical fish that need high temperatures. A heater is needed.
-Life Span: 3-6 years.
-Diet: In the wild, they feed off of mosquito larvae, mosquitos, other insects and their larvae, daphnia, and worms. In the home aquaria many bettas won’t eat flake food. If you choose to try offering flakes, please be sure they are specifically betta flakes and not tropical flakes. Tropical flake food does not provide the proper nutrition for a betta. Meaty foods should be their staple diet. Vegetables should be avoided. Peas are sometimes suggested for bettas, please don’t. A betta’s digestive tract is not designed to handle that kind of roughage in their diet, thus the reason it acts like a laxative. Feeding peas to a betta can severely damage their digestive tract and lead to permanent damage and early death.
-Tank Region: All over, but mainly the Top.

Aquarium and Accesories
-Tank of AT LEAST 2 Gallons. Some people believe in 5 gallons as minimum. Yes, a fish can live in small tanks, but they thrive in proper conditions in roomy areas.
-Heater. heater, heater, heater. This is absolutely needed. The temperature in the tank needs to stay at least at 78 degrees. These are tropical fish, and become very lethargic if kept in cold water. A light will not be sufficient enough for heat. In the night, temperature can easily drop 8+ degrees, which can kill as fish. Room temperature is not enough either. Hydor makes a wonderful heater for small tanks of 2.5 gallons and less. It resembles a heating pad and they work wonderfully while not being overly expensive.
-Hiding Spots: Hiding spots, such as caves, make bettas fell secure. This way, they can escape from light and rest. Make sure the hiding spots are not sharp, as bettas have very delicate fins.
-Filter: This is actually not needed, but it helps. Bettas need a light filter with low flow. They should have very little water movement in a tank. The filter will also keep water clean.
-Light: This helps when it gets dark. Most tanks come with some sort of light, but if not, that should be fine. Simple desk lamps or reading lamps can help give yoru betta the right amount of light.
-Thermometer: This will help keep the temperature under control.
-Liquid Test Kit: A liquid Test Kit will help keep you know your Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH levels. Ammonia and nitrite should always be 0, nitrates under 20ppm, and pH at a level of 6-7.5.
-Access to Air. Betta spendens gets its oxygen from breathing air at the surface. That is the function of the labyrinth organ. If a betta can’t reach the surface for oxygen, it will drown. For this reason, while it is important to offer a well decorated environment, it is also important to make sure the betta has plenty of easy access to the surface of the water. The air temp above the water needs to be close to the temp of the water to avoid infections and shock.

Credit to Sir Cody of bettafish.com

Last edited:
Types of Betta Fish Tails

Plakats are short tailed bettas. They come in all fin types except veil tail - round tail, delta, halfmoon, crown tail, comb tail, etc.

Note that Male bettas are colorfull and has longer fins than females
Left Picture = Male, Right Picture = Female

Halfmoon Plakat (HMPK)

where the tail has a 180 degree spread when flared but tail length is short

Crowntail Plakat (CTPK)

where the tail is either rounded or with a 180 degree spread and with elongated rays giving it a "spikey" appearance but the tail length is short.

Halfmoon (HM)

It is characterized by having the full 180 degree spread when flared, forming a "D" shape with straight edging. Dorsal and anal fins are also dramatically larger than those on other fin types.

Over Halmoon (OHM)

This is the extreme end of the Halfmoon where the spread when flared is over 180 degrees.

Halfsun (HS)

It has the spread of a Halfmoon with the slight crowning of a Crowntail. The halfsuns have the tips of the rays protruding beyond the web, but not enough to be a crowntail or combtail.

Crowntail (CT)

The rays are extended to varying degrees on all fins giving the fish a "spikey" appearance.

Veiltail (VT)

This type of tail is long, with a long anal and dorsal fin also, and droops down from the caudal peduncle.

Doubletail Veiltail (DTVT)

This is a cross between a double tail and a veil tail.

Doubletail (DT)

It is a genetic trait that causes the caudal fin to grow into two lobes rather than one.

Delta (DeT)

These are very similar to HM's but have less than a 180 spread when flared.

Super Delta (SDeT)

These are nearly an HM but not quite, Deltas are far less than an HM.

Spade Tail (ST)

This type has an equal spread on either side of the fin, similar to a Round Tail, but with tail finishing in a point rather than a rounded edge.

Rose Tail (RT)

A Rosetail is an extreme Halfmoon with excessive branching of the rays giving the tail a "ruffled" edge. If there is a huge amount of branching it can be referred to as a "Feathertail".

Feather Tail (FT)

Although it is an extension of the rosetail effect, the feathertail has much more than a ruffled appearance, the excessive branching actually gives it the look of feathers, with a kind of zigzag effect edge

Comb

They have the typical droop of the Veil tail but combined with some extended rays on all fins to varying degrees.

Round

The fin shape is round, rather than the straight edges of a Delta, but fuller and longer than that of a Plakat.

Credit to Ma'am CristinaRoss of bettafish.com

Last edited:
I'll share some of my bettas, note that they are not show type
bettas, they are rescued bettas in a tiny bowl in a local fish
store. una na ako ha, hehe

He's Row, he's the Aggressive one, the picture and his home says it all. He's a crowntail, and he loves to play with me, chasing my finger, and he's so sweet that he always comes near me when i got home.

He's Hal, the Chilled one, he's the most lay back betta i met, he just sits around his plants and do that all day, he'll only move to get some air and when feeding time. He's a halfmoon

He's Halpi, the GRUMPY one in the family. He doesn't care a thing he just want his food on time, hahaha. He's a Halfmoon Plakat. currently he's in quarantine due to some ich i found in his body. all is doing well and he'll be back to his tank in no time.

He's Yel, the youngest betta in the family. He's a veiltail. he loves to swim around and pretty active, but when night comes, he's always in his cave. but unfortunately some of his anal fins are ripped from roots to tips, coz of my 2 year old niece, but luckily he's doing good, and the fins are starting to grow again.

He's Vaine, he's the newest member of the family, he is a veiltail! i don't know yet the personality of this fish. but i love the colors of him.

"BE A RESPONSIBLE BETTA KEEPER."

nice betta sir, galing mas maayos pag inilagay sa planted aquarium:clap:

nice betta sir, galing mas maayos pag inilagay sa planted aquarium:clap:

tama ka diyan sir, mas ok talaga sila sa planted, kahit ilang plants lang, mahilig kase sila humiga sa mga dahon ng halaman, tapos benefits ng halaman finifilter din niya ang water from nitrates and other harmful waste. salamat sir sa pag appreciate. downside lang ng halaman, pag may kita ka na rotten leaves bunot agad, hahaha:yipee:

sir, nag try na po ba kayo mag breed?
ako kase na dead lahat ng fry ko after 3 days..
sayang nga eh

sir, nag try na po ba kayo mag breed?
ako kase na dead lahat ng fry ko after 3 days..
sayang nga eh

ano po ba tank set up ng breeding tank mo? hirap po magbitaw ng
opinion kase maraming possibilities kung bakit di nakasurvive mga fry
mo sir. Like water quality, strain, foods and bacterias. kase nagbreed
na ako naka 70% survival rate naman ako, di naman kase talaga maiwasan na walang mamatay.

tanong lang., ok lang ba na puro mosquito larva lang ang kinakain ng betta?, yung sakin kasi ayaw kumain ng flakes, pellets, tska yung mga bilog bilog na ibaiba kulay.

tanong lang., ok lang ba na puro mosquito larva lang ang kinakain ng betta?, yung sakin kasi ayaw kumain ng flakes, pellets, tska yung mga bilog bilog na ibaiba kulay.

mejo risky sir pag mosquito larvae, kase minsan may dala mga sakit mga yun, pero ganiyan talaga mga betta, iba iba sila ng taste, yung mga betta ko, meron dun ang gusto bloodworms, pellets, BBS, Flakes. natry mo na sir yung Sera Parrot Fist Pellets or TetraBits, try mo din SuperBloodworm ng Ocean Free. Risky talaga sir mosquito larvae lalo na at napaka prone ng mga betta sa sakit.

up lang po. baka meron pa diyan hindi nakakakita nito

buhay pba tong thread nto..?? pa advice po mga msater.. gabo lang rin po ako nag aalaga ng betta

Up up up. Betta lover here. Sana may makakita ng post na to. Willing to help din.

hello po betta hobbyist! new keeper po ako :) pwede po ba makahingi ng detailed na step by step ng pagbreed po salamat po...

betta enthusiast here!:excited: betta splendens at smaragdina mga alaga ko. naghahanap ako ng imbellis kaso ala mahanap sa area ko

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom