Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

IBM AIX 7.2 Test Run in Windows 10 using QEMU PowerPC Emulation

TambayBlues

The Eternal Symbianizer
Prime Member
Advanced Member
Reaction score
Mind Stone
Power Stone
Reality Stone
Soul Stone
Time Stone
Space Stone
With the current version of this OS being 7.3 this is a relatively recent iteration with last updates and patches dated Nov. 2021. As you can see from the screenshots I only installed it using the console in a Windows Command Prompt but based on documentation the CDE graphical desktop can also be used as usual along with a proprietary IBM one under evaluation. For those more familiar with Linux, GNOME and KDE desktops which come packaged with AIX Toolbox for Linux Applications DVD are also optional. I've yet to try and run it on a multi-core configuration to boost the emulation speed which as you can see from the NMON figures is kinda slow at only 1Ghz versus native of 4Ghz+ on PowerPC hardware which is expected. But damn, QEMU has certainly come a long way and thanks to it's developer/s, hobbyists who don't have access to these respective OS's hardware now have another way to tinker with them without spending a fortune. Would be interesting to test if this emulator can also run Big Blue's other Power-based OSs like OS/400, i7R4 etc. which were/are mainly used for midrange computers. Download link for the Test Run Video in MP4 posted at the bottom.

P.S. Just found out that QEMU supports Intel's HAXM feature so I'll try to install it on my Intel-based laptop to see if indeed the emulation runs faster. Oh and BTW, I just posted the installer for this OS on the PC Applications thread just in case anyone's interested in having their own VM.

IBM AIX 7.2 Test Run in Windows 10 using QEMU PowerPC Emulation

Screenshots:

Screenshot (36).png
Screenshot (45).png
Screenshot (44).png
Screenshot (46).png
Screenshot (47).png
Screenshot (38).png
Screenshot (39).png

Link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/4ooaflf7c8cju2c/IBM+AIX+7.2+Test+Run+in+Wiindows+using+QEMU+PowerPC+Emulation.rar/file

Attachments

• Screenshot (37).png
    Screenshot (37).png
    235.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot (40).png
    Screenshot (40).png
    69.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot (42).png
    Screenshot (42).png
    89.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back