Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Migrating to POP OS[LINUX]

raiiiyann

The Devotee
Advanced Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

anyone using pop os? Can you share your thoughts? Pros and cons so far?

I just started few days ago and still working my way through linux.

I'm really a BSD guy and it's a pretty young Linux distro, initial release was only more than 2 years ago. But it looks promising lalo na sa mga gamers who wanted to try other platforms other than Windoze. For me Pros would be the availability of CUDA which is important for gamers and 3D modelers. And sa Cons naman, it's basically based on Ubuntu. Sorry Ubuntu users, but then again - it's just me :)

For me Its working good. It depends kasi kung ano ba kelangan mo sa OS.
For general purpose, steam games ok sya.

For work/web development ok na ok.

I used it before. Ayaw ko lang kasi ng gnome 3 kaya I switched back to Linux mint for work.
Ayaw ko din ng snap kaya i dont use plain ubuntu.

Kung magkakaroon ng ibang officially supported window managers ang Pop OS, specially tiling window managers either qtile or bspwm babalik ako sa Pop OS.
Although pwede ka maginstall ng ibang window manager, kaso kelangan mo iconfigure yun on your own.

Ang maganda sa Pop OS out of the box ok n sya agad. wala n syang masyadong configuration na kelangan.
In terms of customization, medyo lacking sya.

Softwares included on Pop OS are much more updated compared to linux mint.

All in all, For an "Install and run", Ok ang Pop OS.
Very usable in any way you may need it to be.

But in terms of customization (visually), it doesnt have much to offer out of the box.
But then again, thats a linux box. If you have time, you can tweak it any way you want.

I have not used Pop OS, basta sa ngayon Debian pa din ang ginagamit ko for stability (medyo me kalumaan lang ang ibang programs dahil puro long term release ang apps dito). Limited lang kase resources (HDD space, laptop (thinkpad), internet speed) ko kaya dito muna ko sa debian. Since GNU/Linux naman yan ma cucustomize mo naman yan. i3wm lang ang window manger ko para simple.

meron ba android emulator sa pop os

I think this doesnt answer the question or anyway related to the thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I have not used Pop OS, basta sa ngayon Debian pa din ang ginagamit ko for stability (medyo me kalumaan lang ang ibang programs dahil puro long term release ang apps dito). Limited lang kase resources (HDD space, laptop (thinkpad), internet speed) ko kaya dito muna ko sa debian. Since GNU/Linux naman yan ma cucustomize mo naman yan. i3wm lang ang window manger ko para simple.

The thread is asking opinion about Pop OS. Not what linux distribution you use.
Please post something related.

If you use Debian, you should atleast provide comparison, pros and cons. He is not asking about debian but rather Pop OS.

Wassup bro,

I know this thread is kinda outdated, but here is my review of Pop!_OS in 2020.

• Stable performance
  • Good for games (except if your game has EAC, then RIP)
  • Pop! Shop is da best
  • Community support (since this is Ubuntu based)
  • Mediocre customization (wala eh, GNOME eh)

I was a Windows 10 User (specifically GHOSTSPECTRE mod) and was not happy about it. Disk util runs at 90% halos and Windows Search Indexer eats my RAM.

Gaming is cool tho. EAC lang talaga kalaban ni Linux as it desn't support yet. Can run Dota at 50 FPS, not tried with other games.

Last edited:
Pop!os alternate OS na gamit ko from windows for quite a while na
kaso lately ang dami ko ng nae-encounter na error sa terminal
di ko alam kung paano linisin

after 22.04, magiging annual na lang ang releases nila kaya wala silang release for 22.10
tapos they have announced that they will abandon gnome as the desktop environment. i'm planning to completely transition to ubuntu again within the month kasi maganda naman experience ko sa v22.10 running on VM under POP!OS

update: may refresh option pala ang Pop!OS... so instead of reformatting, yun na lang ginawa ko. retained ang files... most apps needed to be reinstalled. problema ko ngayon yung UDF partitioned drive, di nya mabasa/mount. research muna :think:

Last edited:
Goodbye Pop!os
Tinuluyan ko na format, lipat to Ubuntu 22.10 :lol:

subok naman ng linux mint cinnamon
themed to look like macOS... :lmao:
Screenshot from 2023-04-02 09-07-45.png

OK na OK ang pop os. It's best that you try it out yourself. It's normal when getting into the rabbit hole that is Linux ang phase na mag distro hop ka. Try as many distros as you can for a few days / weeks. You'll learn a lot plus it's hella fun. Eventually madiscover mo ung preference mo sa iba't ibang aspect ng desktop / workflow experience na meron sa Linux na gusto mo talaga.

For starters, really you can't go wrong with either POP! OS Cosmic or Linux Mint Cinnamon.

Do not risk you data, have it backed up on a separate external drive. This will allow you to play even more with your machine without having to worry about messing up. I'd say MESS IT UP! Hindi ka matutuno if you don't break things. Pag aralan mo paano mag manual partition, setup ng swap, separate home partiiton para pwede ka mag-papaplit palit ng distro na hindi nagagalaw ung partition mo ng home, etc. Learn a few terminal commands and you're golden.

After a few months or even years you'll eventually graduate sa talagang gusto mo na distro, desktop env, set of apps, workflow at desktop and gaming experience na masayang kang gamitin on a daily basis sa Linux. Don't think that you have to ditch Windows or Mac altogether. You can use and enjoy all of them at the same time lalo na kung meron ka naman spare PC / laptop.
Post automatically merged:

Pop!os alternate OS na gamit ko from windows for quite a while na
kaso lately ang dami ko ng nae-encounter na error sa terminal
di ko alam kung paano linisin

after 22.04, magiging annual na lang ang releases nila kaya wala silang release for 22.10
tapos they have announced that they will abandon gnome as the desktop environment. i'm planning to completely transition to ubuntu again within the month kasi maganda naman experience ko sa v22.10 running on VM under POP!OS

update: may refresh option pala ang Pop!OS... so instead of reformatting, yun na lang ginawa ko. retained ang files... most apps needed to be reinstalled. problema ko ngayon yung UDF partitioned drive, di nya mabasa/mount. research muna :think:
Gagawa ng bagong desk env ang Ubuntu/Canonical na hindi derived sa kahit ano?

may refresh option pala ang Pop!OS
Gumagamit ka ba ng timeshift?

Last edited:
Gagawa ng bagong desk env ang Ubuntu/Canonical na hindi derived sa kahit ano?

Gumagamit ka ba ng timeshift?

nope. kahit dito sa Mint wala akong enabled na backup. willing to format :lmao:
napansin ko nga na may vestiges pa ng unbuntu 22.10 installation tong mint ko ngayon. akala ko naformat ko nung ininstall ko yung mint... ewan ko nga kung bakit naiwan.. nadedetect pa ng grub eh :noidea:

subukan ko na lang kung maglalabas sila ng distro na completely new sa vm... kung magustuhan ko... then time to format again :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom