Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Thermal Paste Issue: Your Comments?

canonbaguio

Recruit
Basic Member
Reaction score
Guys, I am using my computer with a processor AMD Athlon x4 2.8 GhZ which I am using it for about 4 days without thermal paste unknowingly and the last day I used it was 8 hours straight yesterday.
I don't know why CMOS and a slower DRAM was always asking me every time I'd on my computer and I was a bit anxious that is why I asked my friend, he said it might been like that because I don't have a thermal paste. I asked my brother earlier and he said he cleaned the thermal compound on the processor without replacing it. I've been reading a lot here in Google and I'm worried how far could be the damage in my desktop. So far, it seems to running normally and I can still watch movies. As I said, I used it 8 hours straight the last time. I now bought a new thermal paste and I'll be applying it quickly.

What I searched said that it is certainly damaged and cannot run for an hour without thermal compound while some sources said I can run my cpu for a year without any thermal paste.

In any case, do you think there is already a damage on my computer, is it already broken?

What could you say, anything in mind about my CPU?

Can't speak fluent filipino. Need expert advices please.

Last edited:
Without thermal paste, there is no adequate contact between the processor and the heat sink. Their surface is not that smooth microscopically so the thermal paste fills those spots, that is why we use thermal paste. Yes you could use your computer but the processor will run much hotter this time, and in time, damaging it.

To answer your question if your computer parts are damaged, try to see if it still powers on. Some processors do throttle their speeds if they reach a certain temperature. And some motherboards have bios settings to shut down the unit when the processor reach a certain temperature. Hope this helps.

I agree with sub_zero,the fact that you still able to use your pc mean that there is no damage yet on it.

Better paste that thermal on.
On the longer run, your cpu couldn't handle such heat and it will auto shutdown.
Gaming pcs always take temperature management on top priority.

Back
Top Bottom