Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Atheists and Agnostics Meeting Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Informative posts. Kinda too much for me to eat though, and I am a very gluttonous eater in real life. Need to take those in piece by piece (being a speed reader can sometimes suck). Ahahaha

:)
True...true.... I myself started to delve into these things around the start of the millennium, and that only after I stumbled over the leftover excitement about string theory and how it was shaping up to be the theory of everything.

After the initial excitement and headache from the strange concepts and maths involved, I grew wiser slowly going through the relevant materials involved, from how John Schwarz and Michael Green accidentally found the Kaluza-Klein theory and worked that with the theories of Dirac and other scientists in the field, up to the discovery of M-theory and the dualities involved, which are now proving to be a fruitful field in itself and promises to shed light on the time before the Big Bang itself. It's almost unbelievable saying that, before the Bing Bang...!!? :) :)

Last edited:
^- hey man, do you want to make a collab video with me or you make a video regarding the stuff we/you know?

Kahit ako na yung camera man. lol.

Last edited:
^ sounds absolutely fantastic...but what's your idea how we go about it...? :)

mind you, i'm an absolute beggar for time at the moment, but would sure try as much as possible to be of any good in this :)

^ sounds absolutely fantastic...but what's your idea how we go about it...? :)

mind you, i'm an absolute beggar for time at the moment, but would sure try as much as possible to be of any good in this :)

Time... same goes for me.

Perhaps I'll start with small things -- starting with scripts.

The idea --- I was inspired by this video. I think we can work well just like this one.

Btw, this video is very funny. :lol:

^ :)

let me just check this video out later and then get back to you about this possible video collaboration :)

Cheers!

Breaking news: another one for the books:

NASA Ames reproduces the building blocks of life in laboratory: http://phys.org/news/2015-03-nasa-ames-blocks-life-laboratory.html

NASA scientists studying the origin of life have reproduced uracil, cytosine, and thymine, three key components of our hereditary material, in the laboratory. They discovered that an ice sample containing pyrimidine exposed to ultraviolet radiation under space-like conditions produces these essential ingredients of life.

Pyrimidine is a ring-shaped molecule made up of carbon and nitrogen and is the central structure for uracil, cytosine, and thymine, which are all three part of a genetic code found in ribonucleic (RNA) and deoxyribonucleic acids (DNA). RNA and DNA are central to protein synthesis, but also have many other roles.

"We have demonstrated for the first time that we can make uracil, cytosine, and thymine, all three components of RNA and DNA, non-biologically in a laboratory under conditions found in space," said Michel Nuevo, research scientist at NASA's Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, California. "We are showing that these laboratory processes, which simulate conditions in outer space, can make several fundamental building blocks used by living organisms on Earth."

An ice sample is deposited on a cold (approximately –440 degrees Fahrenheit) substrate in a chamber, where it is irradiated with high-energy ultraviolet (UV) photons from a hydrogen lamp. The bombarding photons break chemical bonds in the ices and break down the ice's molecules into fragments that then recombine to form new compounds, such as uracil, cytosine, and thymine.

NASA Ames scientists have been simulating the environments found in interstellar space and the outer Solar System for years. During this time, they have studied a class of carbon-rich compounds, called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), that have been identified in meteorites, and which are the most common carbon-rich compound observed in the universe. PAHs typically are structures based on several six-carbon rings that resemble fused hexagons, or a piece of chicken wire.

View attachment 206012

The molecule pyrimidine is found in meteorites, although scientists still do not know its origin. It may be similar to the carbon-rich PAHs, in that it may be produced in the final outbursts of dying, giant red stars, or formed in dense clouds of interstellar gas and dust.

"Molecules like pyrimidine have nitrogen atoms in their ring structures, which makes them somewhat wimpy. As a less stable molecule, it is more susceptible to destruction by radiation, compared to its counterparts that don't have nitrogen," said Scott Sandford, a space science researcher at Ames. "We wanted to test whether pyrimidine can survive in space, and whether it can undergo reactions that turn it into more complicated organic species, such as the nucleobases uracil, cytosine, and thymine."

In theory, the researchers thought that if molecules of pyrimidine could survive long enough to migrate into interstellar dust clouds, they might be able to shield themselves from destructive radiation. Once in the clouds, most molecules freeze onto dust grains (much like moisture in your breath condenses on a cold window during winter).

These clouds are dense enough to screen out much of the surrounding outside radiation of space, thereby providing some protection to the molecules inside the clouds.

View attachment 206013

Scientists tested their hypotheses in the Ames Astrochemistry Laboratory. During their experiment, they exposed the ice sample containing pyrimidine to ultraviolet radiation under space-like conditions, including a very high vacuum, extremely low temperatures (approximately –440 degrees Fahrenheit), and harsh radiation.

They found that when pyrimidine is frozen in ice mostly consisting of water, but also ammonia, methanol, or methane, it is much less vulnerable to destruction by radiation than it would be if it were in the gas phase in open space. Instead of being destroyed, many of the molecules took on new forms, such as the RNA/DNA components uracil, cytosine, and thymine, which are found in the genetic make-up of all living organisms on Earth.

View attachment 206015

"We are trying to address the mechanisms in space that are forming these molecules. Considering what we produced in the laboratory, the chemistry of ice exposed to ultraviolet radiation may be an important linking step between what goes on in space and what fell to Earth early in its development," said Christopher Materese, another researcher at NASA Ames who has been working on these experiments.

"Nobody really understands how life got started on Earth. Our experiments suggest that once the Earth formed, many of the building blocks of life were likely present from the beginning. Since we are simulating universal astrophysical conditions, the same is likely wherever planets are formed," says Sandford.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-03-nasa-ames-blocks-life-laboratory.html#jCp

Attachments

• 1-nasaamesrepr.jpg
    1-nasaamesrepr.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-nasaamesrepr.jpg
    2-nasaamesrepr.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-nasaamesrepr.jpg
    3-nasaamesrepr.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
^- reproduced the building blocks based on conditions in the vacuum of space. Cooolness. :D

Now I've seen it. Fun :thumbsup:

What we need: a good script, a good actor, voice over person, at least steady hands at the cam....can we do that?

:)

Of course we can.

Could we at least hide our faces? You know, our country is surrounded with religious zealots.

Would you like BBT as our first topic?

Of course we can.

Could we at least hide our faces? You know, our country is surrounded with religious zealots.

Would you like BBT as our first topic?

If we're to do that kind of sarcasm as they had in the video and if you're worried about our own share of zealots, why not just do a voice over while running through some graphics like they did in there? Question again: do you think we have in us that kind of raw sarcastic tone and voice while playing with a topic like BBT? I think we really need a good day to approach that spontaneity and dark humor running throughout such video production. For myself I only know one sure way it could happen: I'd have substantial amount of holy beer while still keeping my wit with me. :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Religious zealots? We had an encounter with some of the worst of those here before. They went as far as "hacking" our facebook pics (which is a very basic thing to do back then), posting them all around symbianize. And I mean all around, as in even in the mobile zone, graphics zone and several others, labelling them as demonic. There was even a pic of me eating pork strips tagged as eating fetuses, which, surprisingly a few dorks actually believed. (ex) future bro-in-law (a devout Catholic) labelled as demonic simply because he was beside me, and a whole lot of other godly deeds. Also did the same to another atheist here. Instead of being disturbed by it though, we were amused. We made jokes about them which pissed the dorks off even more, adding to the amusement.

Needless to say, the dorks were banned and the godly posts were deleted after the mod's long hiatus and were never heard from again.

Religious zealots? We had an encounter with some of the worst of those here before. They went as far as "hacking" our facebook pics (which is a very basic thing to do back then), posting them all around symbianize. And I mean all around, as in even in the mobile zone, graphics zone and several others, labelling them as demonic. There was even a pic of me eating pork strips tagged as eating fetuses, which, surprisingly a few dorks actually believed. (ex) future bro-in-law (a devout Catholic) labelled as demonic simply because he was beside me, and a whole lot of other godly deeds. Also did the same to another atheist here. Instead of being disturbed by it though, we were amused. We made jokes about them which pissed the dorks off even more, adding to the amusement.

Needless to say, the dorks were banned and the godly posts were deleted after the mod's long hiatus and were never heard from again.

My, my, this revelation is absolutely surprising. That tale is almost film material. :lol:

But seriously, this forum is the last place I would expect those bigot types to appear or go as far doing those things you described. But even having that, they missed one thing about their approach: as if we could care less! their kind of behavior is entirely historically typical, so what else is new for them and their kind? :lol:

What's funnier is they probably expected to be rewarded to be floating around their concept of seventh heaven after they did that :lol:

For some reason, this kind of story always brings me back to that critical moment that brought me to finally and conclusively reject the very idea of God, after searching long and wide to justify its prolonged existence and validity in any part of my life.

For any way you look at it, the very idea of any omniscient and omnipotent god is immanently and inherently against humanity. I'll say it again: the idea of any omniscient and omnipotent god—and what god is not—and an indeterministic universe resided by humans who imagine or entertain they have free will—is a total failure of reasoning and understanding, a blatant contradiction in terms. Why?

Such powerful pair of attributes implies a thoroughly finished world, that's why. If any such god has seen it all—the past and the future—then there is absolutely nothing else we can do to change the script, meaning our marked and previously determined destinies. In such a world, we are nothing more than passive audience, along even with such god, of how the entire universal movie will play out.

For the sake of a productive counter worldview, humans must instead assume randomness at the core of reality, so that each decision and action he takes will have critical effect on the outcome of any situation.

Viewed in this light, the idea of god, and thus of its corollary, religion, is both an anathema and and indictment of a faulty human train of reasoning and thought, especially when one considers the tumultuous record of god/religions on the planet, blatant evidence to the contrariness of its justification for existence.

Last edited:
^ The beard. I only went as far as growing the beard. Me and a friend, actually, until we decided to place bets on who would tire of it first, one case of beer bet. Unfortunately for him, his mom visited from Davao, and seeing his condition, gave him the ultimatum of beard=no allowance. The rest, they say, is history.

Woooow, that is so scary. And they usually brag about the "persecution" of christians during the roman times.

^ The beard. I only went as far as growing the beard. Me and a friend, actually, until we decided to place bets on who would tire of it first, one case of beer bet. Unfortunately for him, his mom visited from Davao, and seeing his condition, gave him the ultimatum of beard=no allowance. The rest, they say, is history.
Well, I can still take a bath and brush my teeth. :lol:

Beard? I shave once a month... When I feel like it (record was 3 mos no shave). I'm also the type of person who doesn't get smelly after several days of bath-free laziness (the savings on hygiene products is noticable). I do brush my teeth though, since I eat a lot.

Ah...The life of someone who sees time as a luxury. Once my 2 week vacation is over, hiatus mode

Beard's long gone. Work abhors it. :)

I sweat a lot, so taking a bath—twice a day, usually—is mandatory for me. Pity I didn't inherit that smell-free body from my mom, even through days w/o bath, which you seem to enjoy. :)

I don't imagine I'll have that kind of 2-week vacation any time soon as you do. Unless I'm off back working outside this hell-hole. :)

Sometimes in my case, kapag morning classes in grad school, sabon na lang yung shampoo ko para mabilis.

Baka ma-late kasi.

Then sa room na lang ako nag-aalmusal. :lol:

agnostics nga cgro ako, i believe the supreme being is exist,supreme being, aliens, advanced intelligent people and pwede ding mga travelers from future to shape ouw future, i mean ung mga tumutulong sa mga unang tao para nuong unang panahon, like the handheld of 10 commandments, binigay sa knya un banal na utos mga gnun,.. mdmi nrn akong mga nabasa eh kaya nging open minded ako =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom