Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

[Info]How to: know if your PSP is hackable or not

jimpax

Amateur
Advanced Member
Reaction score
It’s tiresome answering the same questions again and again. .so Please Read Carefully. .:)
this thread is only a compilation gathered from other articles and other helpful stuff. .I just added some input and modified images. .

Goals:
1.The reader/s will be able to know the basic info.
2.The reader/s will understand the important of identifying the PSP model, mobo(motherboard), version(official firmware or custom firmware), and if its hackable or not before buying a unit.
3.The reader/s may ask a very specific question(direct and simple), w/c will be easier to assess and solve the problem.

Introduction:
There are three types of PSPs:
1- 1000 Series (Also known as Phat/Fat)
2- 2000 Series (Also known as Slim or Lite & Slim)
3- 3000 Series (Also known as Brite)

What do I mean by "Hackable"?
That means you can install a Custom Firmware (CFW) on it. The most popular (& sometimes only) way to do it is by using a Pandora Battery & Magic Memory Stick (MMS).

Why Hack a PSP?
A Hacked PSP could run Homebrew, which are programs that have been developed by people that don’t have a contract with Sony. A PSP with Custom Firmware could also back up your games from the UMD to your computer; it also allows you to play those backups from your Memory Stick (MS). You could also do some serious customizations to your theme. Basically, you free your PSP from the hands of Sony.

Why can't I hack 'this' PSP?
'This' PSP probably has a TA-088v3 (Found in some 2000 series units) or TA-090v2 (Found in all 3000 series units) Motherboard, both of which are partially hackable only, as in, you can't install permanent Custom Firmware(CFW) on them. But even thou they are not fully hackable there's still a good side; those mobos I mention(TA-088v3 & TA-090v2) can still be hack "partially" via ChickHen. .The difference between fully hackable and partially hackable mobos is; fully hackable mobos can be unbrick with the use of pandora battery while partially hackable mobos once it is brick there is no way you can unbrick it. .buying new mobo is the only option. .so sa mga ka SB kung may mga partially hackable mobos like me, please be more cautious handling or experimenting your PSP because mahirap na magastos po mag palit ng mobo. .:)

Definition: "Brick"
It's when the PSP stops working because;
1. you screwed up while updating the firmware. Do not turn the PSP off when it's installing the update.
2. When you try to downgrade the firmware version, and you screw up. The PSP firmware version normally can't be downgraded to an earlier version, but there are programs out there that will let you do it. If you do it wrong, the firmware becomes inoperable, and your PSP stops working.

It's called a bricked PSP because the PSP basically becomes a brick. You can't turn it on, you can't do anything. It's just a big paperweight.

To all PSP owners who have Official Firmware(OFW) above 5.03 there's still no way to hack it for now. .PSN and UMD is the only option. .

Let’s get started. .
All 1000 Series PSPs are hackable to date.
To some, there are other methods than just using a Pandora & an MMS(magic memory stick).

On the other hand, 2000 Series are a little complicated. There are old units, new units, & really new units. The old ones contain Motherboards released before the TA-088v3, and are all hackable. The new ones have TA-088v3 Motherboards, and are partially hackable only, note that only 5.03 below OFW are considered partially hackable(w/ TA-088v3 and TA-090v2). Finally, the really new ones, those have TA-090v1 Motherboards, which are hackable.
There are 7 different ways to tell whether a 2000 series PSP is hackable or not, but we'll get to that later on (and this is the main topic of this post/guide).

Finally, the 3000 series PSPs, 3k series has TA-088v3 and TA-090v2 mobos. .still can be hack with the use of ChickHen(aka Hen), but its only a partial hack. .every time your psp shutoff it will turn back to its Official Firmware(OFW). .and again only those OFW 5.03 below with TA-088v3 and TA-090v2 are considered partially hackable PSPs. .

Here’s a list of all the Motherboards made & released by Sony:
check-psp-motherboard-model-4.jpg

PHA = Partially hackable in short chikHen
CHA = Completely hackable, permanet hack

Of course, new updates might come to change everything one day, & that's why there's a date at the start of the topic (To indicate when this topic was last updated).

So, now it's easy to tell whether a 1000 series and a 3000 series are hackable, partially hackable or not. The only complication is when trying to figure out a 2000 Series PSP. Whether you want to know before you buy it, or before you bother learning how to hack it, you choose the way that suits you best.

I want to note that most of the information I know I learned through research. So far, I can't tell whether a PSP has a TA-090v1 Motherboard or a TA-088v3 Motherboard. But, I could tell whether it's an old unit (Before TA-088v3) or a new one in general (TA-088v3 & after).

One final note, nothing could indicate that your PSP is 100% unhackable other than an actual failed attempt to hack it.

1. What is the Firmware the PSP came with?
The original firmware that came with the PSP right out of the box is an indication of its Motherboard, & here’s the list:
3.60 Official Firmware: Hackable.
3.71 Official Firmware: Hackable.
3.72 Official Firmware: Hackable.
3.80 Official Firmware: Hackable.
3.90 Official Firmware: Hackable.
3.95 Official Firmware: Hackable.
4.01 Official Firmware: Depends on what motherboard it has. Its either fully hackable or partially hackable.
5.03 Official Firmware: Partially hackable means can only be hack with the use of ChickHen = Custom Firmware(CFW) is not permanent.

Any brand new PSP with Official Firmware higher than 5.03 is unhackable.

If you updated to any Firmware, that doesn’t matter. This only applies on the PSP’s Original Firmware that it was shipped with.

2. What is the PSP's Serial Number?
The Serial Number and the model "2006" is found on a label where the battery is supposed to go (As shown in the picture "SERIAL No.")
DSC07328.jpg

This isn’t something serious or very helpful, but with more research, it could be.
This image was taken from slim and lite PSP “2006” Felicia Blue(blume Series).
If that serial starts with HU2 and HE4, then the PSP most likely has a TA-088v3 Motherboard.
Any other serial (Say starting with HC or HB or HJ) doesn’t matter at the moment.

3. What's the unit's Identification letter (A letter on a label on the box that indicates what version it has)?
Here's a picture of a label found on the PSP box that has the letter on it:
DSC07329copy.jpg

Note:
1. This is not applicable for all PSP 3k series, just keep in mind that all 3k series has only two motherboard type; a). partially hackable motherboard b). unhackable motherboard, so if planning to buy psp 3k then just skip to this part. :)
2. This label is only present on an original style box (The small, normal box. Not like those large "Limited Edition" Boxes).

Anyways, See the G there?
PSP-2000 CW
220 – 240v
G

That G is the letter in question. Here's a list of all the letters that the 2000 series ship with:
(No Letter) = 3.60
A = 3.71
B = Doesn’t exist
C = 3.72
D = Doesn’t exist
E = 3.80
F = 3.90
G = 3.95 (TA-088v1; fully hackable) / 4.01 (TA-088v2; fully hackable) / 4.01 (TA-088v3;partially hackable) / 5.03 (TA-088v3; partially hackable)

If the letter is absent or is from A to F, then it's hackable.
If it's a G, it's 60 to 67% Hackable (Though since everyone is looking for the hackable ones & no one’s buying the unhackable ones, I'd say that this percentage went all the way down to about 30% hackable).
Some Labels have an extra code written on it, usually “ss259”. That doesn’t matter, just look for the Capital Letter next to it.

Note that the G PSP in the picture is my personal PSP. It came with a 5.03 Official Firmware (OFW) & I hacked it (unfortunately I bought v3 motherboard so my Custom Firmware(CFW) is not permanent and the only way to hack it is through chickHen (aka Hen).

If you bought 6.20 Official Firmware and higher version that means there’s still no way you can hack it for now. .

4. What's the Box's Serial Number?
If your box doesn't have a label with a letter in it, like the G in the third method, then it should have a label with another serial that's not related to the PSP unit.
20349608.jpg

Note that American 2000 series (2001 PSPs) & Japanese PSPs (Both 1000 series & 2000 series) Don’t have those date codes on them, just like the 2001 Piano Black PSP pictured above.

The 2000 Series Date Codes go as follows:
7C: Hackable.
7D: Hackable.
7(Any later Letter): Hackable.

8A: Hackable.
8B: Hackable.
8C: Has Very High Chance that it is Unhackable.
8D: Unhackable.

This information isn’t 100% valid.

5. Using Dark_AleX's TA-088v3 Identifier:
I'll just post a link to the location I found it at. I don't plan on testing it, as I find it rather useless.
It's just a method for those in denial to accept the truth.
Basically, it's just like testing out a Pandora with an MMS, if it doesn't work, it means it's a TA-088v3 Motherboard.
Link:click here

I personally am disappointed by it, as I thought it would actually spell out the type of motherboard in the PSP...
I'm also not sure how this would react to the TA-090v1 Motherboards, but if I had to guess, I'd say it'd react the same way a hackable motherboard would (the PSP would shut down).

There is one method I'd like to say has nothing to do with whether the PSP is hackable or not:
The PSP series full number (2000/2001/20002/etc) just as seen in both pictures (2006 PSP Slim and lite blume series) Those have nothing to do with whether the PSP is hackable or not, it's just an indication of the region of the PSP.

& Here's the list:
2000- Japan
2001- United States (American)
2002- Australia/New Zealand
2003- United Kingdom
2004- Europe
2005- Korea
2006- Hong Kong/Singapore
2007- Taiwan
2008- Russia
2009- China
2010- Mexico

Also, if a PSP is hackable, the Firmware on it has nothing to do with its Hackability.
Whether it had 1.00 Official Firmware, 4.00 Official Firmware, 4.01 Official Firmware, 5.00 Official Firmware, or even the latest 5.03 Official Firmware, if the 2000 series PSP doesn’t have a TA-088v3 or TA-090v2 Motherboard, then it can be fully hacked.

Last hirit:
Avoid buying TA-088v3 and TA-090v2 motherboard if you want a fully hackable PSP. .and avoid buying above 5.03 Official Firmware(OFW). .If your planning to buy one and want to know if its fully hackable, partially hackable or not, just follow the guidelines above then you can have a clue which one to buy by just simply looking at the battery slot or at the label found on the PSP box. .:)

UPDATE:
If you already have Custom Firmware(CFW) and you still want to know what type of motherboard you have and other internal information of your PSP you can use PSPIdent. .
Download: PSPIdentV6

How to install:
1. Extract the "pspident_v06.rar"
2. Copy the "pspident_v06" folder
3. Paste it to your Memory stick > PSP > GAME
thats it. .:thumbsup:

UPDATE: Nov. 10, 2010
Good news for PSP user with above 5.03 version but not beyond 6.20 version. .soon to be release HEn(Homebrew Enabler). .
visit this thread by Fullmetal26: TN_Hen for PSP 6.20 version

Please don't forget to HIT THANKS if you found this thread helpful. .:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Re: How to: know if your PSP is hackable or not(for newbie thread)

paps chage mo yung pic mas detailed toh oh

check-psp-motherboard-model-4.jpg

CHA = Completely hackable, perma hack

Last edited:
Re: How to: know if your PSP is hackable or not(for newbie thread)

ok :thanks: tol. .:)

Re: How to: know if your PSP is hackable or not (for newbie thread)

A very informative thread Jim, salamat dito at pati na rin kay answerkey02 sa added info.

Last edited:

A very informative thread Jim, salamat dito at pati na rin kay answerkey02 sa added info.

:thanks: sir mewt. .

@ALL

everyone is welcome to add inputs. .:dance:

ser pano po malalaman kung anong type of mobo yung psp mo?

ser pano po malalaman kung anong type of mobo yung psp mo?

binasa mo ba? eto naka lagay oh

Let’s get started. .
All 1000 Series PSPs are hackable to date.
To some, there are other methods than just using a Pandora & an MMS(magic memory stick).

On the other hand, 2000 Series are a little complicated. There are old units, new units, & really new units. The old ones contain Motherboards released before the TA-088v3, and are all hackable. The new ones have TA-088v3 Motherboards, and are partially hackable only, note that only 5.03 below OFW are considered partially hackable(w/ TA-088v3 and TA-090v2). Finally, the really new ones, those have TA-090v1 Motherboards, which are hackable.
There are 7 different ways to tell whether a 2000 series PSP is hackable or not, but we'll get to that later on (and this is the main topic of this post/guide).

Finally, the 3000 series PSPs, 3k series has TA-088v3 and TA-090v2 mobos. .still can be hack with the use of ChickHen(aka Hen), but its only a partial hack. .every time your psp shutoff it will turn back to its Official Firmware(OFW). .and again only those OFW 5.03 below with TA-088v3 and TA-090v2 are considered partially hackable PSPs. .

Here’s a list of all the Motherboards made & released by Sony:

CHA = Completely hackable, permanet hack

Of course, new updates might come to change everything one day, & that's why there's a date at the start of the topic (To indicate when this topic was last updated).

So, now it's easy to tell whether a 1000 series and a 3000 series are hackable, partially hackable or not. The only complication is when trying to figure out a 2000 Series PSP. Whether you want to know before you buy it, or before you bother learning how to hack it, you choose the way that suits you best.

I want to note that most of the information I know I learned through research. So far, I can't tell whether a PSP has a TA-090v1 Motherboard or a TA-088v3 Motherboard. But, I could tell whether it's an old unit (Before TA-088v3) or a new one in general (TA-088v3 & after).

One final note, nothing could indicate that your PSP is 100% unhackable other than an actual failed attempt to hack it.

1. What is the Firmware the PSP came with?
The original firmware that came with the PSP right out of the box is an indication of its Motherboard, & here’s the list:
3.60 Official Firmware: Hackable.
3.71 Official Firmware: Hackable.
3.72 Official Firmware: Hackable.
3.80 Official Firmware: Hackable.
3.90 Official Firmware: Hackable.
3.95 Official Firmware: Hackable.
4.01 Official Firmware: Depends on what motherboard it has. Its either fully hackable or partially hackable.
5.03 Official Firmware: Partially hackable means can only be hack with the use of ChickHen = Custom Firmware(CFW) is not permanent.

Any brand new PSP with Official Firmware higher than 5.03 is unhackable.

If you updated to any Firmware, that doesn’t matter. This only applies on the PSP’s Original Firmware that it was shipped with.

2. What is the PSP's Serial Number?
The Serial Number and the model "2006" is found on a label where the battery is supposed to go (As shown in the picture "SERIAL No.")

This isn’t something serious or very helpful, but with more research, it could be.
This image was taken from slim and lite PSP “2006” Felicia Blue(blume Series).
If that serial starts with HU2 and HE4, then the PSP most likely has a TA-088v3 Motherboard.
Any other serial (Say starting with HC or HB or HJ) doesn’t matter at the moment.

3. What's the unit's Identification letter (A letter on a label on the box that indicates what version it has)?
Here's a picture of a label found on the PSP box that has the letter on it:

Note that this label is only present on an original style box (The small, normal box. Not like those large "Limited Edition" Boxes).

Anyways, See the G there?
PSP-2000 CW
220 – 240v
G

That G is the letter in question. Here's a list of all the letters that the 2000 series ship with:
(No Letter) = 3.60
A = 3.71
B = Doesn’t exist
C = 3.72
D = Doesn’t exist
E = 3.80
F = 3.90
G = 3.95 (TA-088v1; fully hackable) / 4.01 (TA-088v2; fully hackable) / 4.01 (TA-088v3;partially hackable) / 5.03 (TA-088v3; partially hackable)

If the letter is absent or is from A to F, then it's hackable.
If it's a G, it's 60 to 67% Hackable (Though since everyone is looking for the hackable ones & no one’s buying the unhackable ones, I'd say that this percentage went all the way down to about 30% hackable).
Some Labels have an extra code written on it, usually “ss259”. That doesn’t matter, just look for the Capital Letter next to it.

Note that the G PSP in the picture is my personal PSP. It came with a 5.03 Official Firmware (OFW) & I hacked it (unfortunately I bought v3 motherboard so my Custom Firmware(CFW) is not permanent and the only way to hack it is through chickHen (aka Hen).

If you bought 6.20 Official Firmware and higher version that means there’s still no way you can hack it for now. .

4. What's the Box's Serial Number?
If your box doesn't have a label with a letter in it, like the G in the third method, then it should have a label with another serial that's not related to the PSP unit.

Note that American 2000 series (2001 PSPs) & Japanese PSPs (Both 1000 series & 2000 series) Don’t have those date codes on them, just like the 2001 Piano Black PSP pictured above.

The 2000 Series Date Codes go as follows:
7C: Hackable.
7D: Hackable.
7(Any later Letter): Hackable.

8A: Hackable.
8B: Hackable.
8C: Has Very High Chance that it is Unhackable.
8D: Unhackable.

This information isn’t 100% valid.

5. Using Dark_AleX's TA-088v3 Identifier:
I'll just post a link to the location I found it at. I don't plan on testing it, as I find it rather useless.
It's just a method for those in denial to accept the truth.
Basically, it's just like testing out a Pandora with an MMS, if it doesn't work, it means it's a TA-088v3 Motherboard.
Link:click here

I personally am disappointed by it, as I thought it would actually spell out the type of motherboard in the PSP...
I'm also not sure how this would react to the TA-090v1 Motherboards, but if I had to guess, I'd say it'd react the same way a hackable motherboard would (the PSP would shut down).

There is one method I'd like to say has nothing to do with whether the PSP is hackable or not:
The PSP series full number (2000/2001/20002/etc) just as seen in both pictures (2006 PSP Slim and lite blume series) Those have nothing to do with whether the PSP is hackable or not, it's just an indication of the region of the PSP.

& Here's the list:
2000- Japan
2001- United States (American)
2002- Australia/New Zealand
2003- United Kingdom
2004- Europe
2005- Korea
2006- Hong Kong/Singapore
2007- Taiwan
2008- Russia
2009- China
2010- Mexico

Also, if a PSP is hackable, the Firmware on it has nothing to do with its Hackability.
Whether it had 1.00 Official Firmware, 4.00 Official Firmware, 4.01 Official Firmware, 5.00 Official Firmware, or even the latest 5.03 Official Firmware, if the 2000 series PSP doesn’t have a TA-088v3 or TA-090v2 Motherboard, then it can be fully hacked.

Last hirit:
Avoid buying TA-088v3 and TA-090v2 motherboard if you want a fully hackable PSP. .and avoid buying above 5.03 Official Firmware(OFW). .If your planning to buy one and want to know if its fully hackable, partially hackable or not, just follow the guidelines above then you can have a clue which one to buy by just simply looking at the battery slot or at thelabel found on the PSP box.

kung di mo parin alam kung pano gamitan mo ng pspident na plug in (gagana lang pag CFW na psp mo)

kung di pa CFW psp mo..pandora ang gamitin mo..pag gumana pandora bat at mmc jan..completely hack psp mo pag hindi gumana..psp 2k v3 mobo or psp 3000 yan..partial hack lang ang pwede jan

binasa mo ba? eto naka lagay oh

kung di mo parin alam kung pano gamitan mo ng pspident na plug in (gagana lang pag CFW na psp mo)

kung di pa CFW psp mo..pandora ang gamitin mo..pag gumana pandora bat at mmc jan..completely hack psp mo pag hindi gumana..psp 2k v3 mobo or psp 3000 yan..partial hack lang ang pwede jan

ahhh...

ganun pala...

di ko kc masyadong maintindihan eh,,,

tnx....

ahhh...

ganun pala...

di ko kc masyadong maintindihan eh,,,

tnx....

check the update sir may download link na po ako nilagay for PSPIdent pero gagana lng po ang PSPIdent pag nka Custom Firmware(CFW) ka. .pero pag plan mo palang bumili ng PSP and gusto mo malaman kung hackable or hindi just read the guidelines above. .andun na po lahat ng info na kailangan mo. .

your free to ask for clarification. .:)

tol bakit ganun yung PSP ko nakalagay sa barcode PSP2001 which means American Region
pero dun sa sticker sa lagayan ng battery ang nakalagay "made in China" thus
it means tampered na yung barcode na nakadikit dun?

tol bakit ganun yung PSP ko nakalagay sa barcode PSP2001 which means American Region
pero dun sa sticker sa lagayan ng battery ang nakalagay "made in China" thus
it means tampered na yung barcode na nakadikit dun?

hmmm possibly but I cant think of any reason na e tatampered nila. .brandnew mo ba yan binili? are you sure 2001 yung psp model ng psp mo?

please check it again. .
DSC07328.jpg

ito po yung psp ko(battery socket)
PSP-2006
made in china(sa baba ng image)

wala nman pong barcode jan pafs. .san mo ba chenik yung model ng psp mo?

Last edited:

hmmm possibly but I cant think of any reason na e tatampered nila. .brandnew mo ba yan binili? are you sure 2001 yung psp model ng psp mo?

please check it again. .
DSC07328.jpg

ito po yung psp ko(battery socket)
PSP-2006
made in china(sa baba ng image)

wala nman pong barcode jan pafs. .san mo ba chenik yung model ng psp mo?

yung sticker na nakalagay sa lagayan ng battery ko nakalagay made in china pero dun sa labas na ibabang bahagi ng PSP ko may barcode dun at nakasunod ang PSP2001 nakalagay susunod po lagay ko yung picture para makita mo btw 2nd hand ko lang po nabili yung PSP ko sa Greenhills

ok sir post mo lng dito yung picture kung saan nka lagay yung PSP model mo. .sa battery socket wala bang nkalagay na model dun sa upper mid part? tulad ng nasa image na post ko?

Ts :thanks: sa info.. Balak kong bumili ng psp gusto fully hackable, first choice ko yung 1000 series para di na ko mahirapan.. Nagaalangan ako dun sa 2000, ano sa tingin mo?

yung sticker na nakalagay sa lagayan ng battery ko nakalagay made in china pero dun sa labas na ibabang bahagi ng PSP ko may barcode dun at nakasunod ang PSP2001 nakalagay susunod po lagay ko yung picture para makita mo btw 2nd hand ko lang po nabili yung PSP ko sa Greenhills

take note din kahit poh us ang region ng psp nyo..made in china lahat yan (swerte na lang kung makabili ka ng psp na made in japan dahil sobrang rare na nun)..kasi mas mura ang manpower sa china..yung psp ko nga psp 2003 uk region pero made in china parin..made in china pero orig sony parts parin ang gamit jan..

Last edited:

Ts :thanks: sa info.. Balak kong bumili ng psp gusto fully hackable, first choice ko yung 1000 series para di na ko mahirapan.. Nagaalangan ako dun sa 2000, ano sa tingin mo?

wala ka ng mahahanap na brand new na psp 1000 phat..mostly secondhand na at swerte mo kung makakita ka pa ng makinis na unit..:lol:..

mas ok psp 2000 slim..dami nagbebenta sa tipidpc..slightly used lang at completely hack pa..minsan nga limited edition pa binebenta dun eh..:thumbsup:

uu pafs sundin mo yung sinabi ni answerkey. .bili ka ng PSP 2k na fully hackable kahit 2ndhand at medyo may kamahal pero sulit nman pag fully hackable. .:thumbsup:

Ok :thanks: sa advice nyo..

eto sir Jimpax yung sinasabi ko may barcode sa pinaka babang bahagi ng PSP ko medyo nag fafade na pero nababasa pa naman

14082010043.jpg

eto naman yung loob na sticker sa lagayan ng battery

14082010037.jpg

hmmm. .gaya ng sinabi ni answerkey na meron ding cases na ganyan. .
for example the parts are made in china then they shipped it to USA region. .Even thou the parts are from china, if the model is 2001 then it should be shipped to USA region. .no probs nman yan sir kasi lahat nman po ng parts ay orig sony po yan same goes with all 2k series, so no worries. .. .:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom