Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Private DNS (Quad9) on Android 9 Pie - tutorial

patriarch fall

Proficient
Advanced Member
Reaction score
What is DNS?

Everything on the Internet, including websites, live at a numerical IP address. The Domain Name System, or DNS, translates these numerical IP addresses into human-readable domain names that we all know and remember. If your DNS settings are not working correctly, or you’re still using defaults, you may be at risk for cybercrime and performance issues.

Quad9 is a free security solution that uses the DNS to protect your system against the most common cyber threats. It improves your system’s performance, plus, it preserves and protects your privacy. It’s like an immunization for your computer and devices.

How Quad9 works

Quad9 routes your DNS queries through a secure network of servers around the globe. The system uses threat intelligence from more than a dozen of the industry’s leading cyber security companies to give a real-time perspective on what websites are safe and what sites are known to include malware or other threats. If the system detects that the site you want to reach is known to be infected, you’ll automatically be blocked from entry – keeping your data and computer safe.

Configuring Private DNS to use Quad9

Android Pie only supports DNS-over-TLS at this time. To enable this on your device:

Go to Settings –> Network & Internet –> Advanced –> Private DNS.
Select the Private DNS provider hostname option.
Enter dns.quad9.net and select Save.

View attachment 380842

That’s it; you’re done!

Quad9 now protects you with anti-malware security, and your DNS requests on Android 9 are encrypted.

source: source: https://www.quad9.net/

P.S. Pwede nyo din subukan yung google dns and open dns.

Attachments

• private-dns-quad9-300x286.png
    private-dns-quad9-300x286.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Thank you TS. I've also tried Quad9's DNS some years ago and it does "work" when it comes to other things.
However, in my case it felt like it's lacking a bit in performance. I did a little bit of "benchmarking" with Quad9
against Google's DNS and the now popular Cloudflare's DNS. Again this is with regards to performance.

Here's the result:

Quad9-Ping-Test.png

This is the reason why I switched to Cloudflare's DNS. My network's performance is now top notch. I did not
include OpenDNS in the screenshot since it's not that popular anymore, but I did run a test and OpenDNS'
ping averaged at 49.57 ms.

Of course, not because it works for me doesn't mean it will work for you. This result will for sure not be the same
for everyone. I would suggest you run several tests before you stick to a specific DNS server. Goodluck pips! :)

PS: I did the ping test 5 times for each DNS server. 1 test every 5 mins. The screenshot above is the best result
out of the 5 tests.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom