Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

[ROOT][TUTORIAL/SPECS]Cherry Mobile Ultra

Tatsunomi

Novice
Advanced Member
Reaction score
FOREWORD: THIS METHOD WORKS ON ALL KNOWN DEVICES SUPPORTED BY iROOT

THIS METHOD DOES NOT WORK WITH THE KITKAT UPDATE! THIS IS FOR JELLY BEAN DEVICES!

GUYS GIVE CREDIT TO THOSE WHO RESEARCHED PROPER ROOTING PROCEDURES... I WILL NOT POST ANYMORE ROOTING MODS IF ABUSED

Greetings Cherry Mobile Ultra Users!

I'll be showing you how to root your Cherry Mobile Ultra but first lets inspect what kind of hardware we really have.

Cherry Mobile Ultra:

• Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS (Last Jelly Bean Update)
  • 1.2GHz Quad-Core Qualcomm MSM8926 Snapdragon 400 Processor
  • 5 Inch HD IPS Display @ 1280 x 720 pixels/resolution or 294 PPI
  • 5-Point Multi-Touch (confirmed)
  • Adreno 305 GPU @ 450 Mhz (Highest Clock Rate for Adreno 305)
  • 13 MP Autofocus BSI Sensor Main Camera with LED Flash
  • 5 MP Front Camera
  • 1GB of Ram (848 MB actual memory)
  • Expandable up to 64 Gb
  • Single Sim (Micro Sim slot)
  • 4G LTE Cat 4 (Up to 150.8 Mbps DL and 51 Mbps UL) and RF360 support (Ability to use LTE-Advanced if ENABLED/SUPPORTED)
  • 3G (DC-HSPA+ 42.2 Mbps DL/ 11.5 Mbps UL) (HSDPA Cat 24/ HSUPA Cat 8)
  • EDGE/GPRS Class 12 and GRPS Networking
  • Wi-Fi with DNLA and Wi-Fi Hotspot
  • Bluetooth 4.0 LE with A2DP
  • GPS with A-GPS and GLONASS (Faster and more accurate GPS precision)
  • FM Radio
  • The Usual Micro USB port
  • 3.5mm Audio Jack
  • Accelerometers
  • Compass
  • Proximity Sensor
  • 2,000 mAh Li-ion Battery
  • Wireless Secondary Display Support (via MIRACAST or Similar product)

**Cherry Mobile Ultra can support memory modules 64 GB and ABOVE**
**64GB or 128 GB sdcards/transflash cards must be formatted with FAT32 in order to work with the ULTRA**

All that for 8,999! And it's totally worth it for a cheap LTE capable phone! A internet network powerhouse!

Here are the brother/sister phones of the Ultra:

ROOTING PROCESS

DISCLAIMER:

Your Warranty is now VOID! I am not held responsible for anything that may or may not happen to your device. Rooting is only done at the discretion of the user. Any concerns for BRICKED devices and blaming me for it does NOT APPLY. You have been forewarned and if you choose to proceed... You by default have accepted the risks and will blame yourself for any issue that happens with your phone.

STEP-BY-STEP PROCEDURE:

STEP ONE: ENABLE USB DEBUGGING

IF REGULAR USER
You can do this by going to your settings Menu and press the ALL TAB
View attachment 192121
Then Open Accessibility:
View attachment 192122
**CHECK USB DEBUGGING AND PRESS OK**
View attachment 192124
You may now proceed to STEP TWO

IF POWER USER/DEVELOPER (DEVELOPER OPTIONS ENABLED METHOD)

Press About Phone in Settings Menu
View attachment 192125

Keep Pressing BUILD NUMBER Until you find a Toast Notification saying YOU ARE NOW A DEVELOPER

View attachment 192126

Go back to the settings menu and you will see Developer Options Enabled:
View attachment 192120

Open Developer Options and UNCHECK VERIFY APPS OVER USB
View attachment 192127

Scroll back up until you find USB DEBUGGING and CHECK IT make sure to press OK
View attachment 192128

STEP TWO: OBTAIN ADB DRIVERS FOR PHONE
  1. To do this we must obtain UNIVERSAL ADB DRIVERS
  2. Go to the Universal ADB Driver site for the latest executable
  3. Then Download the ADB Driver Installer (9.0 MB) in the DOWNLOADS SECTION
  4. Run the application as ADMIN and press allow/unblock if your firewall asks about the app connecting to the internet.
  5. **You'll see a window Like this: View attachment 192129
  6. PLUG-IN your phone to the Computer
  7. You'll now see a New Device with an EXCLAMATION POINT (!) : View attachment 192131
  8. *NOTE: If you press install. You'll see that it would say [ERROR] Incompatible with OS WHEN USING WINDOWS Vista/7/8/8.1.*
  9. If it FAILS then you have to DISABLE DRIVER SIGNATURE. You may want to use Google for that.
  10. After DISABLING DRIVER SIGNATURE you'll now be brought to your desktop.
  11. NOTE: IT MAY SEEM LIKE IT DID NOTHING ONCE YOU DISABLED DRIVER SIGNATURE SO DON'T RESTART YET
  12. Open ADBDriverInstaller again as ADMIN
  13. Press Install and you might get a window saying "WINDOWS CAN'T VERIFY PUBLISHER..."
  14. Press Install Driver Anyway once you get that Window
  15. A CHECK mark beside your Device Manufacturer: K-Touch Will appear in green color meaning it has succeeded driver installation
  16. If it SUCCEEDS then Proceed to STEP THREE.

STEP THREE: DOWNLOAD VROOT (Chinese) or iRoot (English/Updated)
  1. Unplug your phone FIRST!
  2. Download here
  3. Install vRoot(Now known as iRoot) and LAUNCH IT
  4. Make Sure You're ONLINE TO DOWNLOAD THE UPDATE! THERE'S AN UPDATE SO DON'T ROOT YET(You may need to restart the app if the updating process does not work)
  5. INSTALL THE UPDATE WHEN PROMPTED
  6. WAIT TILL THE UPDATE FINISHES AND SAYS UPDATED DEVICE LIST
  7. Plug your phone again and wait till it says H340(Ultra) Connected
  8. Check User Agreement and press ROOT and wait until it's finished!
  9. You're DONE! BUT your superuser app is in CHINESE...
  10. PROCEED TO THIS THREAD FOR ENGLISH SWITCH

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-21-21-46-56.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-21-21-46-56.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_2014-11-21-21-43-17.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-21-21-43-17.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_2014-11-21-21-46-08.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-21-21-46-08.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_2014-11-21-21-46-14.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-21-21-46-14.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_2014-11-21-21-46-27.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-21-21-46-27.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_2014-11-21-21-46-37.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-21-21-46-37.png
    126.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2014-11-21-21-47-18.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-21-21-47-18.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2014-11-21-22-44-20.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-21-22-44-20.png
    140.8 KB · Views: 11
  • ADBDRIVERTOOL.PNG
    ADBDRIVERTOOL.PNG
    12.4 KB · Views: 41
  • K-TOUCH.PNG
    K-TOUCH.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
boss may stock firmware ka po sa cm ultra yung 4.3 jellybean may bug kasi yung kitkat update nila T_t...pahingi naman link sa 4.3 jellybean firmware...

Sir not found na yung vroot link. Baka pwede pareupload. Nga po pala,pano maginstall ng custom recovery? Salamats!

Actually... That is highly a possibility though I cannot guarantee if it would be safe(50-50 probability). If you did your research and you feel like it can be used then by all means try it out. Though that will have to be done on your own phone. If ever it did work then post back a reply. Try using the Rashr Flash tool to flash the Custom recoveries. Much like the Flare S(which turns out to be a rebrand of a Karbonn brand phone) it is HIGHLY a possibility that IT WOULD work so go ahead and try it out though I have to warn you that you have to flash it on your own phone so you WOULD take a risk for it. Good Luck

Before I do though, do you have custom recovery installed on your phone? If you do, may I know where I can get it from? also the vroot link is dead, is there an alternative on rooting the phone? will iRoot work just like what you mentioned in the comments? I am just asking if they were the same tool and the latter was just translated.

I updated the download link. You can now download the virus free version by clicking the link

thanks for your outmost help. just another query about the recovery, as I am reluctant to update to KitKat due to issues connecting to 4G networks, though I want it install it, badly. Is it possible to know if you had ever get a custom recovery working? or how do I go about backing up the entire ROM that is running in jellybean? I apologize if this question has already been raised before. thanks in advance.

There is no custom recoveries yet that have been ported/reported stable. You may have wait a bit longer for Jelly Bean backup ROM since I have to acquire it myself but I'm pretty sure there is an easier way to dump the ROM using roadkill's disk image. Just find Randolph's tutorial for it

I did read about it, and is very informative. However he did not indicate how to go about restoring that backed up image in the event that the phone got borked. Do you know?

*update:

It appears that there is a tab called "write image" on the tool itself. I will try it later and will report back, thanks for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so I tried to create an image using Roadkill. It was supposed to be 7++GB, however the tool kept going, and went past 200%!! My backup was at least 17GB already and is still going. I doubt it created a correct backup. I guess I'll be holding off on the root and the KK upgrade, as my phone is new and I don't want to void my warranty.

Last edited:
as a desperate move for a backup solution, I stumbled across this site that is supposedly a CWM recovery builder:

http://builder.clockworkmod.com/

can someone please maybe pick up on this, as my knowledge in the android infrasturcture is fairly limited.

I used it but I'm very disappointed in it. If ever you're going to use an automated builder... There are tendencies where you don't get to see what happened wrong in the log. In my case, when I used it... It ended up in errors so that site/compiler is broken

I see. I thought it's the answer to our dilemma. Sorry I can't really help much on coding and tweaking, all I can contribute is research. I tried that romdump I found on the internet, followed the steps but ended up getting errors. I was hoping I could help by doing that since roadkill doesn't really work for me.

Guys, Please don't use the Rashr Flash tool or any flash tool to flash custom recovery that are not intended on our CM Ultra. I try it myself and I end up bricked recovery partition . I also suggest doing additional research on the smartphone ARCHOS 50 Helium and Blu Studio 5.0 LTE since the are the same device. Theoretically, if the two other device can have custom recovery it might work on our CM Ultra as they are same in hardware configuration.

I hope to see more and more kasymb.. contribute here for better CM Ultra experience.
I also want to thank the other kasymb.. that are participating. THank you!

I use the Rashr Flash tool for flashing my CWM development builds for the Ultra. I even made sure that I have a BACKUP of my stock recovery before I flash other recovery images. Before you even start flashing random images with many CWM's... Make sure you've done your research before doing so since it WILL brick a portion of your device. Also, it doesn't mean if the devices are the same then the custom recoveries would work 100%... I'm sorry to say this but NO... It doesn't work that way. Depending on who(manufacturer/OEM) made this device... The memory block partitions WILL differ though it may be a possibility that it COULD work. Look at the Motorola Moto G(same hardware yet its CWM doesn't work on our device).

OK.. thank you for that Tatsunomi . I think my reseach is just not enough. Ahm, can you share the link to the recovery image file to me. Please. Thank you in advance Tatsunomi.

I am glad there are more and more owners of this device, I really want to move forward and try KK however I want some sort of a backup of JB before I upgrade, as the performance is still satisfying with the phone running on KK. Though I am not a developer, I wan to really help in any way that I can in terms of ROM development of this phone, as with my previous device (Optimus 2X) I am a ROM flashing addict :)

Back
Top Bottom