Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

[TUTORIALS] Ubuntu (a Debian/GNU Linux Distribution)

ano kaba sir!!? wag ka mag-alala. hindi sa ayaw. basta sir! kung ano man un its none of our business. RELAX!! :p kayang kaya naman ng memory ang vm.

move on na kasi!!! :lol:

Hi adik123456,

No worries. The goal of this thread is to be able to help resolve the problem of those who consult. Apparently, it appears that it wasn't. In any case, I already replied earlier that I'm no longer probing as to what the reason was because we have already identified it through your response. Or maybe the reason why we are being persistent is because we haven't received an update as to whether it will be okay for you/your company to just resort to using alternative browsers (?).

Anyway, we will respect your stand. Relax as well...there are also members in this thread who are working professionals, so we are essentially doing charity/volunteer work here by providing support. Hence, you can be assured that we are really doing our best here.

Baka bill gates fanatic yung bossing kaya ganon. Lol

Perhaps, my friend. :)

hehehe baka nga... pakilala mo sa kanya si Linus Torvald

Yeah. :) Pero in fairness to adik123456, naka-Ubuntu na sila so kudos to their company kasi they are advocating Linux too, which is the very reason kung bakit siya nag-consult sa atin in the first place. :)

Last edited:
Thankssss!!!

You helped a big deal lalo na back up the wubi files, after making a copy of the root.disk I accidentally uninstalled wubi so my ubuntu is gone with the wind. I'm using a flashdrive now and was able to mount the root.disk and see my files. I'll do a full install na, question is how do I copy all the files from the root.disk and they will go to their respective directories without doing it manually?

Hi Friend,

Long time ah. :)

The best suggestion that I can give is:

1. Mount your root.disk as you have already done, so that you can "see" your files.
2. Copy your important files to another disk or partition.
3. Delete the whole root.disk.
4. Start over with a clean installation of Ubuntu for your dual boot.

Mas maganda pag clean installation para wala tayong maisama na mga "hidden defects". :) Let me know kung okay ang suggestion na ito, or if you still want to proceed with recovering the contents of the root.disk by migrating it to your real dual-boot installation. Yun lang, may konting manual work involved kasi.

EDIT: In case you would want to pursue the "migration" method instead of a clean install, you may want to try this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
Mam Mythryll welcome back miss ka na nmin dito e

Wag na mam, parang ang tanda tanda ko tuloy.. Namiss ko din forum, dito pa rin takbo ko after a major major catastrophe.. :) Buti anjan pa rin kayo...

Wag na mam, parang ang tanda tanda ko tuloy.. Namiss ko din forum, dito pa rin takbo ko after a major major catastrophe.. :) Buti anjan pa rin kayo...

Community naman ito, tulungan lang. :) May kanya-kanyang expertise na puwedeng i-share ang "bring to the table" ika nga. ;) Si Kaanib, alam ko ang expertise niyan is audio/video editing and applications, si Mythryll naman programming. Ako, wala. :) Iba ang field ko, hindi ako I.T. professional, although sa araw-araw ko sa work, puro kasi technology ang exposure.

ok sige Miss Mythryll yun e kung miss pa kasi baka mrs na Joke lang hhahaha 2 nalang kami ni sir. topet na madalas tumambay dito si sir. Arvin bihira ko na makita..

miss ka narin namin dito hahaha tagal mo rin kasin nawal haha welcome back

"Missed" ahahaah.. Mythryll nalang.. Can't bring much to the table kasi for web development and programming ko lang sya gamit... ^^

I'll read the migration thing muna sir Topet, parang nakakanosebleed.. heheh... keeping fingers crossed...

Natry nyo na po ba ung IE9 beta ... ?
Astig po kasi yun .. kaya po siguro gustong gusto paganahin ni adik123456 yun sa wine ...
html5 , gpu acceleration ... astig :dance:

"Missed" ahahaah.. Mythryll nalang.. Can't bring much to the table kasi for web development and programming ko lang sya gamit... ^^

I'll read the migration thing muna sir Topet, parang nakakanosebleed.. heheh... keeping fingers crossed...

Hehehe ok cge Mythryll nlang..

ang lagay po kasi parang "masama" 'yong interpretation niyo sa pagpipilit ko malaman kung paano mag-wo-work ung IE. :lol: hindi naman po porket ni-private lang 'ung reason,, may "something" na.

maging malawak po sana ang pag-iisip natin. ako nga po, dame niyo nagsasabi na bakit 'di nalang mag-ibang browser, iniintindi ko na nga lang kayo eh. eh?? sa un po ang pinapagawa sakin eh! sabi ko naman na na hindi ko alam ang reason dahil bago palang kasi ako pero mag-pipilit pa den kayo na "BAKIT!!"

nirerespeto ko kayo kahit na pinipilit niyo ung ibang browser. business namin 'to eh. siguro naman, hindi ko na kailangan i-detailed pa un.
uu andun na tayo sa gusto niyo malaman kung anong gagawin para naman ma-i-share sa iba. pero wula po ako sa authority para mag-share so respect po.

thanks!!! :D

Chillax, we're just kidding around... Sorry if you found it offensive or rude or a violation of your POV... everyone has reasons for using cetain softwares they like. Ako din, i'm hestitant to remove win7 coz i need to test the websites we're creating in all browsers including IE... peace po...

Chillax, we're just kidding around... Sorry if you found it offensive or rude or a violation of your POV... everyone has reasons for using cetain softwares they like. Ako din, i'm hestitant to remove win7 coz i need to test the websites we're creating in all browsers including IE... peace po...

tos teka meh isa pa ako sama ng loob :lol: ,, pinipilit den ng mga tao sa thread na'to sakin ung Virtual Machine. Sa IE on ubuntu nga ang binigay na problem sakin eh. alam naman namin ung virtual. pero "IE on Ubuntu" ang pinapagawa sakin. :lol:
ok lang kung once na sabihin kung bakit 'di ako mag-virtual o alternative browser? pero kung paulit ulit nalang ung suggestion na un! nakaka-haaay naku naman un! eheh! (kahit balikan natin ang mga posts, paulit ulit.) sinabi ko naman ng 'di ko nga alam reason. i-su-suggest ulet un! :D

ok? ok? ok? Peace! ;)

I see, kasi using IE on ubuntu is very challenging. I've come across wine tricks and other churvas for you to be able to run IE on ubuntu but the catch is that it's not gonna be the same experience since IE is developed truly for windows. There are gonna be hangups like flash ata, activeX, java/javascript so the only way for you to be able to fully utilize IE is to have a virtual Windows OS nalang for IE to be able to run in it's natural environment and perform to it's potential. Hence the suggestion.

Here's a link I've come across before when i was looking for something similar and it looks like it's got potential. I haven't tried it though kasi nawala na sa isip ko until today. Downside: IE 7 on 10.04 Tinamad na ko magbackread for your version.

http://weblog.scanyours.com/2010/05/30/howto-run-internet-explorer-7-within-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx/

Play on linux can also run IE7 but according to feedbacks, laggy and some stuff don't work...

Edit: sorry if i'm repeating anything... di ako nagbackread :D just saw the part where IE is very important and made singit my comment... Disregard if issue resolved...

cheers^^

Last edited:
Friends,

For those na kasama ko sa mga threads related to Linux-based Operating Systems (Ubuntu in particular), I collated your posts as well as some readings so that we have a single thread for the frequently-asked questions of those who are new and would like to try out Ubuntu. This is so that it will be easier for everyone to search. Hope this helps. :)

New!

As requested by deythedevil, we will place links to all tutorials in the first post para madaling hanapin ng mga newbies. This will be a continuous work in progress so please visit the first post from time to time. :)

"Table of Contents" (Modified November 26, 2010 04:14am MNL)

BOOKMARKS

01. Ubuntu Team Philippines on Facebook
02. Ubuntu Team Philippines website

APPLICATION/SOFTWARE

01. Application: Links to alternative/Open Source applications/software.
02. Application: Lotus Symphony (office suite)
03. Application: SYNFIG (for 2D Animation)
04. Application: XML Animated Background Creator
05. Application: Open Source alternative for Visual Basic
06. Application: Open Source alternative for Dreamweaver

BOOT-UP and INSTALLATION

01. How to change default OS selection on PC Boot
02. How to: methods of installing Ubuntu (Updated on Oct.11, 2010 for dual-boot)
03: How to install different *buntus on top of Ubuntu without uninstalling
04. How to select the *buntu that you have installed from the login page
05. How to change the default Login Screen in Ubuntu (NEW!)
06. How to create a USB bootable installer (Ubuntu, Puppy Linux, etc.)

07. How to restore GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader)
08. How to set up a Triple Boot configuration (Windows 7, Ubuntu, Backtrack) - external link
09. How to install Backtrack. Also, here is my personal review about Backtrack (R1): Distro Review: BackTrack 4 (r1)
10. How to restore the Windows "bootloader" (MBR or Master Boot Record)
11. How to install GRUB in a dedicated partition - Updated Instructions! Added Screenshot! November 8, 2010 5:34am MNL
12. How to Clean Up the GRUB2 Boot Menu
13. How to set up a MultiBoot USB Installer
14. How to Optimize your Available Partitions

DESKTOP EFFECTS

01. How to install the "Atlantiz" (Compiz Plug-in):. Instructions here - external link. Note: This is supported only by older versions of Ubuntu (such as 8.10).
02. How to install Compiz Fusion (desktop effects) using Terminal
03. How to enable desktop effects (Compiz Fusion)

GENERAL DESKTOP

01. How to fix the Resolution of the Plymouth Logo (opening splash) in Ubuntu 10.04:
02. How to change the default Plymouth Theme (New!)
03. How to install icon sets in Ubuntu:

04. How to install Gnomenu in Ubuntu (make your start menu look like Windows)
05. How to give Ubuntu the Windows look-and-feel
06. How to make window buttons appear at the right side
07. How to install Themes in Ubuntu
08. How to add or remove desktop icons in Ubuntu

GENERAL UBUNTU

01. How to install OpenOffice 3.2.1.:
02. How to upgrade Firefox to Swiftfox
03. How to restore default menu and settings for Terminal: check here and here.
04. How to update/install the latest device drivers for NVIDIA/ATI Video Card (Updated on October 12, 2010)
05. How to install proprietary codecs (play .avi, .mpeg, .mp3, etc.) Step-by-step here.
06. How to record your desktop activity
07. How to download and install applications in Ubuntu
08. How to install Java plug-ins. Note: There are 2 types of Java plug-ins that you an install (Open Source - OpenJDK; and Closed Source - Sun Java). For the explanation please read the discusion on the following posts here, here, and here.
09. How to save a gedit file to be viewed/opened in Windows
10. How to add an Online Repository or PPA (Personal Package Archive). There are two (2) methods described here: using "Software Sources" or by using the Terminal.
11. Sharing my Repositories

12. How to eject the CD/DVD Drive using a Terminal command
13. How to adjust sound volume in Ubuntu
14. How to download installation files for Ubuntu from a different computer or OS.
15. How to show side pane and bottom pane in gedit (make it behave and look like a programming tool)
16. How to access a Windows drive in a Wubi installation of Ubuntu
17. Ubuntu 10.10 is released! Please see the "Known Issues" section under the Release Notes to ensure you are aware before you upgrade/install. Check this link as well for personal notes for known issues.
18. How to properly set up Gwibber (NEW!)

HARDWARE

01. Make 4GB RAM usable in a 32-bit version of Ubuntu (NEW!)

INTERNET

01. How to install and use firewall in Ubuntu: check here and here.
02. How to install Broadcom Wireless Card (BCM43xx): Read the discussion between Mythryll and topet2k12001 from pages 27 up to page 33
03. How to change Static IP Addresses
04. How to setup DNS Server for Ubuntu: check here and here.
05. How to set up Ubuntu to accept USB Modem (SMART Bro, Globe Tatto, etc.) via offline method. (Updated November 21, 2010): added alternative steps to install using Installer Media (Ubuntu CD/DVD Installer). You may want to check here as well.
06. How to install wi-free for Linux.
07. How to install USB Modem (Smart Bro - MF627) in Ubuntu 10.04 (UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS November 26, 2010)

TROUBLESHOOTING

01. Alert! /dev/disk/by-uuid/ ...<your UUID>.... does not exist
02. Fix the "no sound" issue with Asus Eee PC 1005 PX
03. "acer-wmi :no or unsupported wmi interface" Error

WINE

01. How to Install WINE or PlayOnLinux.
02. Also, here is a how-to guide in adding the WINE repository.
03. Click here as well to know the different methods of installing WINE.
04. Manual install: for those who want to download the individual files needed to install WINE, click here.
05. Here's my own review after I tried to install WINE and PlayOnLinux. It also contains a link on how to install MS Office 2003/2007.
06. Click here to know how to check if your game or application will work well with WINE.
07. How to prevent Wine from automatically creating multiple file associations ("Open With")

VIRTUALBOX

01. Setting up a Guest OS
02. Configuring your Guest OS Settings
03. Enabling USB Support
04. Installing Guest Additions

here we go Sir.. pano nga po ba mag install ng video card sa ubuntu OS?

ang lagay po kasi parang "masama" 'yong interpretation niyo sa pagpipilit ko malaman kung paano mag-wo-work ung IE. :lol: hindi naman po porket ni-private lang 'ung reason,, may "something" na.

maging malawak po sana ang pag-iisip natin. ako nga po, dame niyo nagsasabi na bakit 'di nalang mag-ibang browser, iniintindi ko na nga lang kayo eh. eh?? sa un po ang pinapagawa sakin eh! sabi ko naman na na hindi ko alam ang reason dahil bago palang kasi ako pero mag-pipilit pa den kayo na "BAKIT!!"

nirerespeto ko kayo kahit na pinipilit niyo ung ibang browser. business namin 'to eh. siguro naman, hindi ko na kailangan i-detailed pa un.
uu andun na tayo sa gusto niyo malaman kung anong gagawin para naman ma-i-share sa iba. pero wula po ako sa authority para mag-share so respect po.

tos teka meh isa pa ako sama ng loob :lol: ,, pinipilit den ng mga tao sa thread na'to sakin ung Virtual Machine. Sa IE on ubuntu nga ang binigay na problem sakin eh. alam naman namin ung virtual. pero "IE on Ubuntu" ang pinapagawa sakin. :lol:
ok lang kung once na sabihin kung bakit 'di ako mag-virtual o alternative browser? pero kung paulit ulit nalang ung suggestion na un! nakaka-haaay naku naman un! eheh! (kahit balikan natin ang mga posts, paulit ulit.) sinabi ko naman ng 'di ko nga alam reason. i-su-suggest ulet un! :D

ok? ok? ok? Peace! ;)

Hi adik123456,

On our end wala naman kaming sama ng loob, in fact I posted a response sa comments nina Mythryll and Seeking to your defense, so you might want to give consideration to that as well...a clear demonstration na impartial naman ako, wala akong kinakampihan dito dahil lahat patas.

Perhaps there was a miscommunication...I guess that's the limitation of not having face-to-face discussion. Ika nga sa trabaho ko, puro phone, email and chat ang medium of communication. Those types of communication are prone to misinterpretation - a limitation, actually. In fact, yung "pagpilit" ng mga members dito, it's not because minamasama namin yung kagustuhan ng boss mo na mag-run ng IE sa Ubuntu. Gaya ng sabi ko rin sa previous post ko, na-curious ako. I'm sure na-curious din sila. So there, malinis ang intention namin.

You are correct that we kept on asking, but it was for the purpose of learning and not to make you spill the beans or squeal out. I'm sure others are also wanting to know how to do it, kaya nga may post din ako na sinasabi kong ilalagay din natin sa Page 1 ng thread yung ni-share mo eh.

Alam mo I have to be honest and wag kang magalit lalo, but I think ikaw ang hindi relaxed. :) Take a deep breath muna...check mo yung mga recent posts mo...may kasama nang emotions eh. Hindi naman tayo magkakakilala nang personal para magtanim ng sama ng loob. At least I'm sure of myself na hindi ko dinamdam ang usapan natin. Wala akong makukuhang benefit sa pakikipag-away sa taong hindi ko man lang nakikita pa in person. Still, I continue to share whatever I learn (I'm not an I.T. professional but I still share)...considering na ginagawa ko ito on top of my time at work, time for my family, etc. Wala kaming kinikita sa pag-post at pagtulong dito...charity/volunteer work, ika nga.

I'm just saying all of this to show you na wala talagang reason para ikasama namin ng loob yung kagustuhan mong mag-run ng IE sa Ubuntu. At sa kagustuhan naming ma-support yung goal mo, siyempre hindi maiiwasang magtanong din kami..not for the purpose of stealing information from you, but to learn how to attack the problem you have presented. The guys here are very eager to help, that I can assure you. Kahit i-compare mo pa ang thread na ito sa ibang thread dito sa Symbianize. :)

here we go Sir.. pano nga po ba mag install ng video card sa ubuntu OS?

Hi Friend,

Welcome to the thread! :) Para mabilis tayo, I can help you via chat. Add mo ako sa Yahoo Messenger...topet2k12001. I'll be online in 5 minutes (Invisible Mode).

EDIT: I will not give you new instructions. Gagawin natin yung instructions na naka-post na sa Page 1, I will just guide you on how to follow those instructions. ;)

Last edited:

Originally Posted by adik123456 View Post
tos teka meh isa pa ako sama ng loob ,, pinipilit den ng mga tao sa thread na'to sakin ung Virtual Machine. Sa IE on ubuntu nga ang binigay na problem sakin eh. alam naman namin ung virtual. pero "IE on Ubuntu" ang pinapagawa sakin.
ok lang kung once na sabihin kung bakit 'di ako mag-virtual o alternative browser? pero kung paulit ulit nalang ung suggestion na un! nakaka-haaay naku naman un! eheh! (kahit balikan natin ang mga posts, paulit ulit.) sinabi ko naman ng 'di ko nga alam reason. i-su-suggest ulet un!

ok? ok? ok? Peace!

Hi adik123456,

On our end wala naman kaming sama ng loob, in fact I posted a response sa comments nina Mythryll and Seeking to your defense, so you might want to give consideration to that as well...a clear demonstration na impartial naman ako, wala akong kinakampihan dito dahil lahat patas.

Perhaps there was a miscommunication...I guess that's the limitation of not having face-to-face discussion. Ika nga sa trabaho ko, puro phone, email and chat ang medium of communication. Those types of communication are prone to misinterpretation - a limitation, actually. In fact, yung "pagpilit" ng mga members dito, it's not because minamasama namin yung kagustuhan ng boss mo na mag-run ng IE sa Ubuntu. Gaya ng sabi ko rin sa previous post ko, na-curious ako. I'm sure na-curious din sila. So there, malinis ang intention namin.

You are correct that we kept on asking, but it was for the purpose of learning and not to make you spill the beans or squeal out. I'm sure others are also wanting to know how to do it, kaya nga may post din ako na sinasabi kong ilalagay din natin sa Page 1 ng thread yung ni-share mo eh.

Alam mo I have to be honest and wag kang magalit lalo, but I think ikaw ang hindi relaxed. Take a deep breath muna...check mo yung mga recent posts mo...may kasama nang emotions eh. Hindi naman tayo magkakakilala nang personal para magtanim ng sama ng loob. At least I'm sure of myself na hindi ko dinamdam ang usapan natin. Wala akong makukuhang benefit sa pakikipag-away sa taong hindi ko man lang nakikita pa in person. Still, I continue to share whatever I learn (I'm not an I.T. professional but I still share)...considering na ginagawa ko ito on top of my time at work, time for my family, etc. Wala kaming kinikita sa pag-post at pagtulong dito...charity/volunteer work, ika nga.

I'm just saying all of this to show you na wala talagang reason para ikasama namin ng loob yung kagustuhan mong mag-run ng IE sa Ubuntu. At sa kagustuhan naming ma-support yung goal mo, siyempre hindi maiiwasang magtanong din kami..not for the purpose of stealing information from you, but to learn how to attack the problem you have presented. The guys here are very eager to help, that I can assure you. Kahit i-compare mo pa ang thread na ito sa ibang thread dito sa Symbianize.

Mga bossing sa tingin ko tama na baka kung saan pa mapunta ang usapan nio.. Closed na natin ang problem na yun.. Tutal naibigay na natin ang gusto natin sabihin tungkol sa IE on ubuntu.. Kaya ibahin na natin. Umiinit na yata kasi ang tension eh :peace: Ma-OT tayu.

Mag-kape nalng muna tayu mga bossing :coffee: :)

Yep, move on na tayo. We've all said what we wanted to say, let's just continue helping each other...

Sir Topet, di ko pala magawa yung migration chenelyn, haha... too complicated.. I guess I'll just have to start fresh uli, maybe try 10.10 tapos copy ko nalang my files mano mano...

Mga bossing sa tingin ko tama na baka kung saan pa mapunta ang usapan nio.. Closed na natin ang problem na yun.. Tutal naibigay na natin ang gusto natin sabihin tungkol sa IE on ubuntu.. Kaya ibahin na natin. Umiinit na yata kasi ang tension eh :peace: Ma-OT tayu.

Mag-kape nalng muna tayu mga bossing :coffee: :)

Yep, move on na tayo. We've all said what we wanted to say, let's just continue helping each other...:)

Yup, consider the issue closed. :)

I'm just online in chat, I'm assisting someone.

Sir Topet, di ko pala magawa yung migration chenelyn, haha... too complicated.. I guess I'll just have to start fresh uli, maybe try 10.10 tapos copy ko nalang my files mano mano...:)

Yes...mas mabuti ang clean install...I'm also hesitating sa migration method eh.

Last edited:
sensya na po kung na offend nami kayo basi din po sa experience ko at ng ibang linux user mahirap po tlga mag install ng IE using

wine.. hndin po to advisable sa mga bago palang gumagamit ng Linux... pero try nlang po natin hanapan ng paraan

ok po naintindihan ko po yun sitwasyon nyo po kung may budget yun company nyo po try nyo yun

cedega baka sakaling mapagana yun IE... pero try nyo rin po e suggest sa Boss nyo po na gumamit

nalang ng ibang browser like google chrome... (baka sakaling makunbinsi mo si bossin).. pero kung ayaw po nya tlga

suggestion ko yun cedega kaya lang hindi sya free

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom