Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

[TUTORIALS] Ubuntu (a Debian/GNU Linux Distribution)

sir topet ganun din sa poknat hindi po maimport ung .ovpn na file..eto po ung screenshot sir.. thanks

attachment.php

Hi Friend,

I encountered this problem before when I was doing testing on VPN Services. In my case na-encounter ko naman siya sa config files ng ProxPN. The solution I had was to use another clean copy of the config files. Minsan kasi nagkakamali tayo sa pag-edit ng config file (yung .ovpn file), na ang nangyayari minsan kapag nag-save tayo nagiging "Text File" ang file type niya, hindi na "OVPN file" ang file type. In fact nangyari ito sa akin hindi lang sa Linux kundi pati sa Windows. :)

Here's a simple test that you can do. Kasi yung steps na ginagawa natin ay GUI-based steps (point-and-click with the mouse). Actually puwede sa command line mag-start ng OpenVPN session gaya ng sinabi ni lineanne_john. Pati sa Windows puwede rin.

Command line version of running OpenVPN:

1. Open Terminal
2. type this command

Code:
openvpn /path/to/ovpnfile

Example: let's say that your config files are in your "Downloads" folder and the filename of the .ovpn file is "poknat", it would look something like this:

Code:
openvpn /Downloads/poknat.ovpn

Note: you may need to type "sudo" before the command, like this:

Code:
sudo openvpn /Downloads/poknat.ovpn

Last edited:
sir panu yun... kinain ng win7 ko yung grub 2 ko ??

Hi Friend,

Paanong "kinain?" Puwedeng paki-detail para mas ma-visualize ko ang ibig mong sabihin..

EDIT: Not sure kung ito ang problem mo since hindi pa ako nakaka-receive ng response sa iyo for the details. Ang ginawa mo ba is hindi yung Linux ang last na ni-install mo? Yung Windows ang last na ni-install mo? If so, you may want to visit Page 1 of the thread, may tutorial dun about "restoring GRUB". Anyway eto na yung direct link: http://www.symbianize.com/showpost.php?p=4012199&postcount=1389

Last edited:
@topet2k12001

oo alam ko po ung Nokia n9 ksi nghahanap din ako ng CP na build in LINUX OS, pro sa Android nlng po ako kuya ksi mron ksi cla gnawa na Script Layer for Android ma-ra-run ung Python ko dun dahil sa SL4A, ng-aaral ako ngaun ng Python at nghahanap din ako ng group pra mkpag-brain storming at matuto ng mdami, kya mag Linux ako dahil sa mga Command nya na gus2 ko pg-aralin ^_^

Ah. So ano exactly ang kailangan mo when you say you need Linux commands: Linux commands ng Operating System mismo? Or Commands ng Programming Language? Kasi ang Linux commands ng mismong Operating System ay maihahambing mo lang naman sa MS DOS, so in essence parang DOS commands lang naman sila, iba lang ang pagkaka-type kasi Linux.

For example:

In Microsoft Operating Systems: you type "ipconfig" to get network information (IP Address, network adapter details like MAC Address, etc.)

In Linux Operating Systems naman: you type "iwconfig" or "ifconfig". "iwconfig" for wireless. :) So there. Kung sanay ka sa DOS commands ng Windows, madali mo lang maiintindihan ang Linux Commands (na pang-Operating System). Nung High School kasi ako naabutan ko na ang mga tinuturo pa noon ay MS DOS kaya ganun. :D

Kung commands naman ng Programming Language ang hanap mo, I'm sorry but I am not a programmer. I am doing self-study though. :) I know very little Visual Basic kasi malakas akong gumamit ng MS Excel (Macros - which use Visual Basic).

Last edited:
Hi Friend,

I encountered this problem before when I was doing testing on VPN Services. In my case na-encounter ko naman siya sa config files ng ProxPN. The solution I had was to use another clean copy of the config files. Minsan kasi nagkakamali tayo sa pag-edit ng config file (yung .ovpn file), na ang nangyayari minsan kapag nag-save tayo nagiging "Text File" ang file type niya, hindi na "OVPN file" ang file type. In fact nangyari ito sa akin hindi lang sa Linux kundi pati sa Windows. :)

Here's a simple test that you can do. Kasi yung steps na ginagawa natin ay GUI-based steps (point-and-click with the mouse). Actually puwede sa command line mag-start ng OpenVPN session gaya ng sinabi ni lineanne_john. Pati sa Windows puwede rin.

1. Open Terminal
2. type this command

Code:

Example: let's say that your config files are in your "Downloads" folder and the filename of the .ovpn file is "poknat", it would look something like this:

Code:

Code:

yan ang matagal ko ng problema! Thank you master!

Hi Friend,

1. Open Terminal
2. type this command

Code:

Code:

Code:

Sir actually gumana sakin pag windows ginagamit ko.. tsaka hindi ko na po ginagalaw ung config files sir kc un na ung dinownload ko from poknat website sir..ang dinadagdag ko lang po dun is ung user id and password nlng pag magcoconnect na po ako..
maraming salamat ulit idol..

Sir actually gumana sakin pag windows ginagamit ko.. tsaka hindi ko na po ginagalaw ung config files sir kc un na ung dinownload ko from poknat website sir..ang dinadagdag ko lang po dun is ung user id and password nlng pag magcoconnect na po ako..
maraming salamat ulit idol..

In that case...you may want to try an alternative way of connecting your VPN configuration with Network Manager. Please see here: http://vpnblog.info/ubuntu-pptp-strongvpn.html. You may not need to follow all steps because this tutorial is specific only to StrongVPN. Just use this as a guide. :)

At the end of it all, the most efficient way of connecting your VPN Config files is really through the Terminal. ;) That's why most Linux users are actually trying to learn how to use the Terminal because it's a very powerful tool.

EDIT: Another possible reason why you are getting the error is because there may be some lines in the .ovpn file that is "commented" (the line is marked with a "#"). You need to "un-comment" the line that should be part of the code that runs the .ovpn file. I remember when I encountered this error, I overlooked that one line (yung server address) was "commented". When I removed the comment, nag-run na ulit ang .ovpn file ko na pang-ProxPN.

Explanation: In Programming, a "#' is inserted to a line that should not be part of a code. As in comment lang talaga. This is useful for Programmers who are used to writing a long code. Minsan sa haba ng code, nalilito sila, so kailangan minsan maglagay ng comment para alam nila yung mga mangyayari dun sa code pag nag-execute. So, there are some lines na talagang may comment, while there are some na dapat wala. I can't provide an all-encompassing rule kung aling line ang nalagyan ng comment na dapat ma-uncomment, since napakaraming VPN service providers. You just need to know where the comment should be removed.

Example: below is a screenshot of an original/unedited .ovpn file (this is from ProxPN). Notice that the server address (remote miami.proxpn.com 443) has a "#" before it. Since the server address should be part of the execution of the .ovpn file, dapat wala siyang comment. So just delete it, save the file, and try running it again.

attachment.php

Bonus: I also included in the screenshot a quick "how-to" in case your VPN configuration requires a username and password (see screenshot above and below).

attachment.php

Attachments

• VPN setup.png
    VPN setup.png
    99 KB · Views: 205
  • VPN setup username and password.png
    VPN setup username and password.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Tutorial: How to Install OpenOffice version 3.2.1

NOTE: This post used to be on Page 1. I had to move it because I can no longer update the First Post (already exceeded the maximum number of characters allowed per post).

Tutorial: How to install Open Office

09/05/10 09/05/1003:46:05 AM

A default installation of Ubuntu (latest is 10.04 as of this writing) already includes Open Office version 3.2.0. As of this writing, the latest stable release of Open Office is version 3.2.1. There is really no need to upgrade the “native” version of Open Office (3.2.0) since the version 3.2.1 just contains very minor bug fixes. But, if you want to still upgrade it, here's how:

1. Go to the Open Office website to download the package
  2. When you click “Download Now”, a box will open. Click on OK.
  3. After the file downloads, save it to your desktop. By default, this file is saved into your “tmp” folder (in case you forget to save it to the desktop).
  4. Extract the .deb file named “Ooo_3.2.1_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz” to your computer's desktop. You will see a folder named “OOO320_m18_native_packed-1_en-US.9502”.
  5. Remove the existing OpenOffice that was automatically included when you first installed Ubuntu. In the Terminal, type:
    Code:
    sudo  apt-get remove openoffice*.*
  6. To install the new OpenOffice (version 3.2.1)
  7. Copy paste this command in the Terminal:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i      ~/Desktop/OOO320_m18_native_packed-1_en-US.9502/DEBS/*.deb
And then this:

Code:
sudo dpkg -i      ~/Desktop/OOO320_m18_native_packed-1_en-US.9502/DEBS/desktop-integration/openoffice.org3.2-debian-menus_3.2-9502_all.deb
You may need to restart your computer.

To check if it has been updated successfully, just open the application. And then click on Help and choose About OpenOffice.org. You should see version 3.2.1.
attachment.php

UPDATE (October 23, 2010 3:59pm): In Ubuntu 10.10, OpenOffice is already at version 3.2.1.

Hi Friend,

Just wanted to ask:

1. Are you intending to do webchat?
2. What application are you trying to use?
3. What IM protocol are you trying to use (MSN? Yahoo? etc.)?

Just like to note that there are some IM protocols that are not yet supported for video calling, say for Empathy as an example.

yes sir topet, gusto ko sana mkpg webchat, yahoo po IM ko....
sinubukan ko na po ung empathy tapos pidgin pero hnd ko parin mapagana ung video call,
sana po matulungan ninyo ako..... :salute::salute::salute:

Last edited:
@topet2k12001

kuya OS Command po ang hnhanap ko, may mga recommend ka ba na Ebooks or TUTs about jan??? and thanx in advance ^_^ msarap ksi kpag CLI ang gngamit, may mga plano ksi ako gmawa ng sriling PL at OS ko in the near future kya nag-aaral ako about sa mga Commands sa OS, kya nag-aaral ako ng Python ksi c Python gling ksi cya sa mga CLI=Command Line Interface family kya yan ang png-aaralan ko tpos kpag medyo alam ko na lhat about Python, i will proceed to C# then C then C++ then ASM, more in CLI gus2 ko ^_^

nag reinstall na lng po ako ng ubuntu 10.10... Sa ngayon po ok naman. Nagrurun naman po ng smooth. May question lng po ako...

May tutorial po ba kung panu paganahin ung tor vidalia or any program sa ubuntu for free internet? i tried running ultrasurf and flashtor but to no avail... Ayaw tlga gumana...

nag reinstall na lng po ako ng ubuntu 10.10... Sa ngayon po ok naman. Nagrurun naman po ng smooth. May question lng po ako...

May tutorial po ba kung panu paganahin ung tor vidalia or any program sa ubuntu for free internet? i tried running ultrasurf and flashtor but to no avail... Ayaw tlga gumana...

Here .. :salute:

Friend,

Please visit Page 1 of this thread, under the "Internet" section.

@topet2k12001

kuya try nyo e2 c GnackTrack base in Ubuntu 10.10 bali k2lad cya ni BlackBuntu at BackTrack...

@topet2k12001

kuya try nyo e2 c GnackTrack base in Ubuntu 10.10 bali k2lad cya ni BlackBuntu at BackTrack...

Thanks for the suggestion. However I'm all good na...BackTrack is an Ubuntu-based distribution anyway...it's based on an older version of Ubuntu (Ubuntu 8.10). And you really don't have to worry about the different distros (distributions) out there. In Linux, almost all apps can be "cross-installed" meaning almost all the apps in BackTrack can be downloaded and installed to Ubuntu and vice-versa, etc. Yung GnackTrack eh iniba lang ang desktop environment...kaya "G"nackTrack is because it uses Gnome as the desktop environment. BackTrack kasi by default uses KDE as the desktop environment. Pero under the hood, pareho lang sila. :) Pero in fairness, maganda siya tingnan. I would probably recommend this in terms of aesthetics.

Last edited:
hi mga ubuntu users, reinstalled ko na yung ubuntu meerkat ko sa lappy di ko pa kasi alam kung gagana yung mga windows emulator sa linux mint e.

btw, naka net ako ngayon sa globe using proxy kaya di ako makapag install ng apps T_T

Back
Top Bottom