Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Atheists and Agnostics Meeting Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
May ilan lang din na mahilig sa ancient aliens satin, let me share the story of a Filipino into this, but note that this does not mean any association with nor endorsement of the association or whatever it calls itself, in my part.... :lol:

View attachment 1242693

Friendly Chat with a Filipino Raelian Life Guide

Jacobsen: To begin, what was life like growing up, developing into adulthood?

Kuya Manzano: I was 10 years imprisoned in a Catholic boarding school. So I had ample time to learn how the Bible works and how priests operate. Church in the morning and night, every day.

Jacobsen: How did you find the Raelian movement?

Kuya Manzano: I love controversial people who are brave enough to go against the grain and fight the conservative madness that the Catholic church has dominated the world with. So, I found these crazy Raelians and I started learning more online. Because I am an Activist Atheist and they are too and they are taking real actions around the world.

Jacobsen: What eventually convinced you on the logical coherence and empirical veracity of the faith?

Kuya Manzano: If you read the books by Rael it makes way more sense than any other religion out there. No miracles, no magic, just science, technology.

Empiric is kind of confusing. ‘Cause even the things we think are true, proven through science nowadays, might change. Science is always correcting its mistakes, therefore, science is always wrong. Though it is nicer to stick to science than to magic. Bravo for correcting the scientific theories whenever there is a new truth discovered.

I wasn’t there when the world was created. I wasn’t there when the UFOs abducted Rael. It just makes sense, pretty possible. And fits my logic more than other explanations out there.

Jacobsen: As a way of life, what are its theories about the nature of the world and our origin, and recommended ethic for how we should behave towards one another in the world?

Kuya Manzano: This is the best part and why I embrace the Raelian philosophy, because of the values it brings. Just love one another, give freedom to your partner, be free with sex. We are pro-peace, female rights, gender equality, meditation, health, cloning, automation, happiness.

Everything has a creator, things that happen by accident can’t be so complex as a chair, a computer, a human, a fish.

We believe everything is eternal and infinite and that matter is recycled. And the Elohim, the extraterrestrial race that created us also modified the planet a little and created different kinds of life forms in a laboratory. Same as others did with them before. The process in infinite, cyclical. No beginning and no end.

Jacobsen: Now, your position is “Raelian Life Guide.” What do you do in that capacity? What are some of the downsides of the work that you do, e.g. violent or verbally abusive interactions with people who do not believe and may even be anti-Raelian to an aggressive degree? What are some of the upsides, e.g. personal fulfillment in helping others in some way within the constraints of the Raelian ethic?

Kuya Manzano: As the national guide for the Raelian movement in the Philippines, I can introduce new members, take decisions on actions to be taken by the group, communicate with the international structure.

I find more aggression from the Atheist community than from the Religious one actually. We are an Atheist religion and hope to get respect from both sides though. Some atheists think we replaced gods by aliens but here there is no praying, no worshipping, no commandments (just loving yourself!).

Upsides, I find hundreds. It totally changed my life for the better. We focus on building happiness. A vital need, I see a certain lack within humanity around the world, whatever belief or lack thereof.

We teach how to be happy, healthy, how to meditate, and philosophy – and personally, I even teach people how to be wealthy by applying the Raelian principle of Paradism (paradise on Earth where all work is done by automation and we can just enjoy life).

Jacobsen: Any final thoughts or feelings in conclusion?

Kuya Manzano: I love the Atheist community. I thank you for your activism. I am an activist Atheist since years ago and I personally host many events of different Atheist organizations here in the Philippines.

Before becoming a Raelian, who is an Atheist, I was a regular Atheist for 20 years. Now, I am still an Atheist. I have a life guide that makes me and others happier.

And to follow the social media of the Philippine Raelian movement

https://www.facebook.com/raelianphilippines/
https://twitter.com/raelianpinoy
https://www.instagram.com/raelianpinoy/

Thank you so much for this opportunity.

Love and Infinity!

Jacobsen: Thank you for the opportunity and your time, Kuya Manzano.

SOURCE

New Age ba sila?

ganito ang nangyayari sa mga tao na' , , na brain wash , , watch this clip

Last edited:
attachment.php

There is a phrase you are as likely to find in a serious philosophy text as you are in the wackiest self-help book: "Know thyself!" The phrase has serious philosophical pedigree: by Socrates’ time, it was more or less received wisdom (apparently chiseled into the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi) though a form of the phrase reaches back to Ancient Egypt. And ever since, the majority of philosophers have had something to say about it.

But "Know thyself!" also has self-help appeal. Is your aim to accept yourself? Well, you need to know thyself for that first. Or is it to make good decisions – decisions that are right for you? Again, this would be difficult unless you knew thyself. The problem is that none of this is based on a realistic picture of the self and of how we make decisions. This whole ‘knowing thyself’ business is not as simple as it seems. In fact, it might be a serious philosophical muddle – not to say bad advice.

Let’s take an everyday example. You go to the local cafe and order an espresso. Why? Just a momentary whim? Trying something new? Maybe you know that the owner is Italian and she would judge you if you ordered a cappuccino after 11am? Or are you just an espresso kind of person?

I suspect that the last of these options best reflects your choices. You do much of what you do because you think it meshes with the kind of person you think you are. You order eggs Benedict because you’re an eggs Benedict kind of person. It’s part of who you are. And this goes for many of our daily choices. You go to the philosophy section of the bookshop and the fair-trade section at the grocer’s shop because you are a philosopher who cares about global justice, and that’s what philosophers who care about global justice do.

We all have fairly stable ideas about what kind of people we are. And that’s all for the best – we don’t have to think too hard when ordering coffee every morning. These ideas about what kind of people we are might also be accompanied by ideas about what kind of people we are not – I’m not going to shop at Costco, I’m not that kind of person. (This way of thinking about yourself could easily slide into moralizing your preferences, but let’s not open that can of worms here.)

There is, however, a deep problem with this mental set-up: people change. There are tumultuous periods when we change drastically – in times of romantic love, say, or divorce, or having children. Often we are aware of these changes. After you’ve had kids, you probably notice that you’ve suddenly become a morning person.

But most changes happen gradually and under the radar. A few mechanisms of these changes are well understood, such as the ‘mere exposure effect’: the more you are exposed to something, the more you tend to like it. Another, more troubling one, is that the more your desire for something is frustrated, the more you tend to dislike it. These changes happen gradually, often without us noticing anything.

The problem is this: if we change while our self-image remains the same, then there will be a deep abyss between who we are and who we think we are. And this leads to conflict.

To make things worse, we are exceptionally good at dismissing even the possibility that we might change. Psychologists have given this phenomenon a fancy name: ‘The End of History Illusion’. We all think that who we are now is the finished product: we will be the same in five, 10, 20 years. But, as these psychologists found, this is completely delusional – our preferences and values will be very different already in the not-so-distant future.

Why is this such a big issue? It might be okay when it comes to ordering the espresso. Maybe you now slightly prefer cappuccino, but you think of yourself as an espresso kind of person, so you keep ordering espresso. So you’re enjoying your morning drink a little bit less – not such a big deal.

But what is true of espresso is true of other preferences and values in life. Maybe you used to genuinely enjoy doing philosophy, but you no longer do. But as being a philosopher is such a stable feature of your self-image, you keep doing it. There is a huge difference between what you like and what you do. What you do is dictated not by what you like, but by what kind of person you think you are.

The real harm of this situation is not only that you spend much of your time doing something that you don’t particularly like (and often positively dislike). Instead, it is that the human mind does not like blatant contradictions of this kind. It does its best to hide this contradiction: a phenomenon known as cognitive dissonance.

Hiding a gaping contradiction between what we like and what we do takes significant mental effort and this leaves little energy to do anything else. And if you have little mental energy left, it is so much more difficult to switch off the TV or to resist spending half an hour looking at Facebook or Instagram.

"Know thyself," right? If we take the importance of change in our lives seriously, this just isn’t an option. You might be able to know what you think of yourself in this moment. But what you think of yourself is very different from who you are and what you actually like. And in a couple of days or weeks, all of this might change anyway.

Knowing thyself is an obstacle to acknowledging and making peace with constantly changing values. If you know thyself to be such-and-such a kind of person, this limits your freedom considerably. You might have been the one who chose to be an espresso person or a donating-to-charity person but, once these features are built into your self-image, you have very little say in what direction your life is going. Any change would be either censored or lead to cognitive dissonance. As André Gide wrote in Autumn Leaves (1950): "A caterpillar who seeks to know himself would never become a butterfly."

Attachments

• idea_sized-edgar_degas_-_mrs_jeantaud_in_the_mirror_-_google_art_project.jpg
    idea_sized-edgar_degas_-_mrs_jeantaud_in_the_mirror_-_google_art_project.jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 117
@storm
I really enjoy your post :)

Hmmm, know thy self... Call me crazy but I consider every person to have two kinds of self...it is sometimes referred by other people as the spirit, conscience, subconscious, gut feeling, soul or the "god" that always live in their hearts that guide them. it is the very foundation of every faith..the reason why consciousness cannot explain by science (:rofl: now I am beginning to sound like a believer :rofl:)

I call the preference of which coffee to order as our own personal boundaries, boundaries that you sometimes adjust. I like to eat ice cream while my feet are buried in snow, it does not matter what other people might think of me I am not about to cross my boundaries during that moment so that other people wouldn't think anything.

Let’s take an everyday example. You go to the local cafe and order an espresso. Why? Just a momentary whim? Trying something new? Maybe you know that the owner is Italian and she would judge you if you ordered a cappuccino after 11 am? Or are you just an espresso kind of person?

I suspect that the last of these options best reflects your choices. You do much of what you do because you think it meshes with the kind of person you think you are. You order eggs Benedict because you’re an eggs Benedict kind of person. It’s part of who you are. And this goes for many of our daily choices. You go to the philosophy section of the bookshop and the fair-trade section at the grocer’s shop because you are a philosopher who cares about global justice, and that’s what philosophers who care about global justice do.

( i don't even know what benedict egss is :lol: ) but let's put a story, for example, why do you like benedict eggs ;) Maybe eating benedict eggs remind you of your ex who used to prepare you that meal or your grandma that pass away. if you want to eat it whatever your reason is you have all the rights to do so, but do you have some un resolve issue? di mo kailangan i decipher masyado but maybe your eggs could be your mirror too :lol:

Some people like to eat their own hair or toilet paper, can we call them just the hair person or the toilet tissue person? :lol:

( i hate it na oras na para umuwi gusto ko pa sanang magisip ng sasabihin :rofl: )

Last edited:
@storm
I really enjoy your post :)

Hmmm, know thy self... Call me crazy but I consider every person to have two kinds of self...it is sometimes referred by other people as the spirit, conscience, subconscious, gut feeling, soul or the "god" that always live in their hearts that guide them. it is the very foundation of every faith..the reason why consciousness cannot explain by science (:rofl: now I am beginning to sound like a believer :rofl:)

I call the preference of which coffee to order as our own personal boundaries, boundaries that you sometimes adjust. I like to eat ice cream while my feet are buried in snow, it does not matter what other people might think of me I am not about to cross my boundaries during that moment so that other people wouldn't think anything.

( i don't even know what benedict egss is :lol: ) but let's put a story, for example, why do you like benedict eggs ;) Maybe eating benedict eggs remind you of your ex who used to prepare you that meal or your grandma that pass away. if you want to eat it whatever your reason is you have all the rights to do so, but do you have some un resolve issue? di mo kailangan i decipher masyado but maybe your eggs could be your mirror too :lol:

Some people like to eat their own hair or toilet paper, can we call them just the hair person or the toilet tissue person? :lol:

( i hate it na oras na para umuwi gusto ko pa sanang magisip ng sasabihin :rofl: )

Thanks, YD.

There is no doubt discussions about consciousness, the relationship about the brain, mind, and matter are some of the most contentious out there, still awaiting the final verdict if one is even coming. At the moment we see scientists can now visualize the path of any single thought, predict a time when humans or machines can already communicate via telepathy, or even when a sinister force can overwhelm mass consciousness possessing only a singular master algorithm.

While the musings of Descartes, Bishop Berkeley, David Hume, and Immanuel Kant provide a comic side to the historical discussions, Abraham Maslow's and Sigmund Freud's gave us deeper underpinnings of our motives and desires, Julian Jaynes' and Penrose's lead us to more controversial and modern interpretations, while Zimbrano's prison experiments threaten us with evil geniuses working their labs at night to dominate humanity and make minions of us all.

Perhaps it's ironic that while the scientific community appears to be in the process of defining what consciousness is exactly for us, some of them might already know the very answer and are working their damnedest to keep us out of the way and totally under their control, hehe.

And yeah, time and again I do this kind of posting about subjects that have been taught us one way or another but whose truth value we might really need to look at one more time.

Nagbabasa ako pero ayaw ko na magsalita. The world is unfair kase e. I understand.

Kapag nagsalita ako, ang tingin ay debate, argument or whatever. Hindi ko alam kung saan ang pwesto ko. Tapos kapag nagtataka ako, naiinis sila.

Minsan hindi ko maunawaan ang post ng iba katulad ng self contradicting.

Hindi ko naiintindihan iyon.

Sila sila lang ang nagkakaintindihan.

Hindi ako.

Sabi nga, less talk, less mistake so hindi na ako magsasalita.

Iba na lang ang ipinagkakaabalahan ko.

Xensya na. Hindi na ako active dito.

Last edited:
What is agnostic

I am having bad time understanding but can anyone give a deeper meaning on what is the meaning of being agnostic base on there experience?

Re: What is agnostic

I am having bad time understanding but can anyone give a deeper meaning on what is the meaning of being agnostic base on there experience?

A theist is 100% sure there is a god and will tell you that they can 100% prove he exist
An atheist is 100% sure that there is no god and will tell you that they can 100% prove that he does not exist.

An agnostic is someone saying they could be both wrong or could be both correct.

An agnostic like me think that up to this date every theory about the origin of this universe remains a theory.

Similar to Schrödinger's cat, the paradox of Erwin Schrödinger, God both exist and does not exit unless proven otherwise.

Someone who is skeptic but willing and enthusiastic to accept and open to any ideas.
In my case I do not want to choose what to believe. What we see is what we get.

Last edited:

hi guys! hi @stormer hope you still remember me!

been awhile, epicmorsix, but sure as hell remember a few of our good runs here. :lol:

so how have you been...? this thread has gone relatively quiet of late. me, nonstop 16-hr work is dragging me away from any of my regular hunting grounds :lol: :lol:

hey to all the other guys here—CHEERS!

Cheers!

Is this spider's thread? 'cause I can see lot of cobwebs here. Haha, you know, the spider, the thread and the web... Corny

Anyways, have you watch Fight Club? Rule #1 I shouldn't talk about this, but any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom