Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Chat/Discussion of books we've read, Book Recommendations/Suggestions...

Re: Chat/Discussion of the book we've Read, Book Recommendations/Suggestions...

^Naumpisahan ko yung blackdagger brotherhood pero hanggang kay vishous lang.. i like Wrath and Rhage (the hottie) .. :) I felt iffy reading the next book after vishous.. i dunno why though. nakalimutan ko na rin kung kanino focused yung book na yun (i don't know why i put it down and never read it again.. hmm..i think inumpisahan ko yun eh..hmmmm...)

may nakabasa na po ba ng I am Number 4? i'm going to watch the movie kasi (uber fan ni alex pettyfer :yipee:).. iniisip ko kung maganda ba basahin muna yung book.. or after nalang? hmm... good ending ba? haha (bad ending hater here)..

Yea.. damn publishers. Whatever happened to artistic freedom? hehehe..

@diokdin
I loved Zsadist and Bella's story too. Zadist made me cry a lot while I was reading his story.

@yche Ahh, yung book ni Phury (kasunod nung kay Vishous, I think). Yea. I didn't like that book. Naiirita ako sa kanya kasi he can't get over Bella and naaddict sya sa red smoke-he's too whiny. :D

Yung story ni Butch ang favorite ko out of all of them. Siguro kasi he was the only one who was originally human.

I started reading Susan Elizabeth Phillips last night - Call Me Irresistible. I loved everything about it. I though it would be disastrous - the blurb sounded a bit like My Best Friend's Wedding but it wasn't at all like that. I love the contrast of the characters and yung conflict. Buti na lang friday night, natapos ko sya maguumaga na.. LOL.. naramdaman ko lang yung antok nung natapos ko na.

i just finished reading Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh.

hay in love na naman ako kay Archangel Raphael!!! eeeeeeeee......:wub:

I envy you Elena Deveraux! kainis ka ang swerte swerte mo! sana ako din...hehe...:pray:

ang ganda ng cover nito by the way, yun pala itsura ni Elena, sige na nga bagay na kayo ni Raphael...

@yche09: ako din i read that series last year...fave ko din ang story ni rhage, very sweet...
and also vishous' and Zsadist's. i think the book you're referring to Phury's, i agree medyo tinamad din akong basahin yun, pero natapos ko naman sya, mostly because i think i wanted to read Rehvenge's story, the one after that...LOL!

hey, i'm also about to read, I am Number 4 last night. nakatulog lang ako...LOL! but i think i'll finish The Maze Runner first, i stopped with just a few pages left because of Archangel's Consort...:D

hay naku predicament ku din yan. whether i should watch the movie or read the book first.
para sa'kin kasi, when i read the book first i end up disappointed in the movie because the book is waaaay better. pero para sa mga nakapanood ng movie w/o reading the book eh super ganda yung movie for them. minsan tuloy i think nasisira ang visual experience ko sa story. i think Memoirs of a Geisha lang yata yung nagandahan ako in both the movie and the book.

when i watch the movie first naman, i end up not finishing the book! i don't know why...:noidea:

and i know na mas maganda talaga ang book kaysa sa movie because they can't fit the whole plot of a book in a 2hour movie. plus the author can really express what's happening and the characters' feelings in a book, so mas feel mo sya diba. pero maganda din na yung mga characters na naiimagine lang natin eh nag co-come to life sa mga movie...hay...sana yung Guild Hunter series din ni Nalini Singh eh gawing movie din...:pray::pray:

hmmm i wonder if it's the same with others...

Last edited:

I read J.R Ward years ago, I didn't like Phury as well :upset:, ewan ko kung bakit, pero I skimmed Butch's story. Si Zsadist ata ang favorite ko. ;)

@ yche: Ooh, he's got a few book-turned-movies coming up ano? Beastly (he is such a hottie here) and I think he'll play Thomas in Joseph Delaney's The Spook's Apprentice (love love love this series).

@ zelle: I remembered a quote on Coelho's The Zahir which zeroed in on books being movies:

On why the author never sold rights of his novels to movies – rather more on why a movie made out of a novel is never as good:

Up until then, whenever anyone mentioned the possibility of making a film adaptation, my answer had always been, ‘No, I’m not interested.’ I believe that each reader creates his own film inside his head, gives faces to the characters, constructs every scene, hears the voices, smells the smells. And that is why, whenever a reader goes to see a film, based on a novel that he likes, he leaves feeling disappointed.

Last edited:

^ wow i like that comment from Coelho...it is so very true.

J. R. Ward - got to read her 1st 5 books...and love all of them (well...except for the 4th book). i guess im one of the few here who like vishous story although i was disappointed that his and jane's story was so short...i guess that's the main reason why people didn't like that book so much. After the 5th book (and for some, again, the decline started with 5th book), i can't finish any of her books na...i just skimmed over it.

but of course.....Zsadist's book is the bomb :D...and then wrath...and then vishous...and then rhage (don't shoot me!). :lol:

that's why when i discovered Kresley Cole...wow...so happy that her books just keeps getting better or at least isn't classified as poor read :D

Last edited:

okey to ah! hehehe

@ g0dd3ss - yeah naalala ko na, yun nga un.. ayoko sya kasi parang napaka bitter ng thoughts nya. :p .. pero i regret not finishing the series..

i just finished reading Archangel's

@yche09: ako din i read that series last year...fave ko din ang story ni rhage, very sweet...
and also vishous' and Zsadist's. i think the book you're referring to Phury's, i agree medyo tinamad din akong basahin yun, pero natapos ko naman cya, mostly because i think i wanted to read Rehvenge's story, the one after that...LOL!

hey, i'm also about to read, I am Number 4 last night. nakatulog lang ako...LOL! but i think i'll finish The Maze Runner first, i stopped with just a few pages left because of Archangel's Consort...:D

hay naku predicament ku din yan. whether i should watch the movie or read the book first.
para sa'kin kasi, when i read the book first i end up disappointed in the movie because the book is waaaay better. pero para sa mga nakapanood ng movie w/o reading the book eh super ganda yung movie for them. minsan tuloy i think nasisira ang visual experience ko sa story. i think Memoirs of a Geisha lang yata yung nagandahan ako in both the movie and the book.

when i watch the movie first naman, i end up not finishing the book! i don't know why...:noidea:

and i know na mas maganda talaga ang book kaysa sa movie because they can't fit the whole plot of a book in a 2hour movie. plus the author can really express what's happening and the characters' feelings in a book, so mas feel mo sya diba. pero maganda din na yung mga characters na naiimagine lang natin eh nag co-come to life sa mga movie.....

i agree very sweet tlga yung story nila ni rhage. . di ko parin makalimutan yung natame ni mary yung beast form nya :lol:

i've decided to watch the movie first :) para wala na munang disappointment if ever..;)

@sticky-feet - Yeah madami nga syang movies na galing sa books.. i mean gusto kasi sya ng mga fans hehehe. Sa blog ng author ng Mortal Instruments, parang sya ata tlga yung target na maging JACE. i super look forward to that! :) Tapos i think pinupush din ng fans na maging siya si Peeta ng Hunger Games (pero i think hindi sa knya napunta/mapupunta yung role)

Beastly is also coming out on March pero isang taon ko na tlga tong inaantay.. kahit super nde ako fan ni vanessa hudgens.. ang gwapo gwapo kasi ni Alex plus, i like the beauty and the beast twist nung book neto. :yipee:

malapit ko na matapos ang re read ng IAD.. parang na tetempt akong mag reread ng lords of the underworld (super kc fan and gena showalter fan :lol:) pero matagal nang nasa reader ko si nalini singh.. what do you guys think? Maganda ba yung hmm.. psy changeling?

Last edited:

oo nga spot on nga si Paulo Coelho dun...very true...

@maysapaw: yeah, i think i read somewhere na konti lang ang nagustuhan ang story ni vishous...maganda naman ah :D

@ g0dd3ss: tama! i didn't feel that he ever got over bella even though sila na nung - what was her name? - yung partner nya...i still kept thinking na second choice nya lang yung girl...ayoko pa naman ng ganun...hay...

@yche09: para sakin naman nung kinausap nya si wrath and sinabi nya na sasama parin sya sa kanila every night, pero he needs to be with Mary kapag lumala na sakit nya...grabe! kakaiyak yung part na yun...:weep:

hey i also read lords of the underworld ni gena showalter...maganda ang concept ng story...fave ko naman dun yung story ni Aeron...sa girls naman fave ko si Anya, that girl is crazy! LOL!
medyo nahilo naman ako sa story ni Gideon dahil laging baligtad sinasabi nya...LOL!

anyway, siguro i'll also try IAD series pag nakaluwagluwag na, tambak na ang to read books ko grabe, istorbo talaga ang work sa pagbabasa, hay...:ohno:

Last edited:

OhMY! super parehas tayo.. i also love Aeron's story.. sya yung may wings diba? i love the reversal sa dulo.. :) kasi diba bumalik sa pagiging angel si Olivia and she had wings while wala nang wings si Aeron.. And i love it na nag pay off naman yun suicide na gnawa nya. I mean, i think super hard para sa kanya nung wrath demon..kaya i was sooo happy na he became free of that. . . pero yung happiness ko about dun mejo short lived.. kasi nalaman ko nga na napunta si demon of wrath kay Sienna, love interest of Paris. I felt sorry for Paris kasi after the Sienna thing. But i'm glad na sabi nga sa blog ni gena showalter, Paris will also get his happily ever after on 2012! :clap: it is indicated here

http://genashowalter.blogspot.com/2010/12/exciting-news-and-beefcake-youve-been.html

Pero ang pinaka sweet for me na hero ay si Sabin.. :yipee: Ang pinaka like ko naman na heroine ..uhm, si Gwen.. super powerful pero gentle talaga sya.:)

Yeah nawindang ako sa pagbabasa nung kay Gideon.. not the best book pero ok rin.. i think by the end of the book.. sanay na sanay na ko sa REVERSED sentences..:lol:

I tried reading Gena's books before but it didn't appeal to me. i find Larissa Ione's books better. I might have to re-read Gena's books again. :D

@zelle1016 yup, we are the same. once i watched a movie i can't finish the book anymore...there were some exceptions i guess, especially if the movie is just so-so and a lot of people keep insisting that the book is waaaay better :lol:

on book before movie, i try to take away my feelings re:book and just concentrate of how good the movie interpretation is.

I've never read Gena's books before, so maybe I'll try one after IAD. Speaking of IAD, I'm halfway through Cade's :giveheart: book, and I must say na he's my favorite IAD hero so far (I love his teasing and his Sith Ifrican accent! And Nix keeps getting better and better, yeah?)

@ yche: I liked the Beastly movie twist din (am glad na hindi siya pinagmukhang werewolf). Ako din hindi fan ni Vanessa, but ho-hum, I guess she'll do. Oh and ang cute ni MaryKate :evillol:

dont much like JR Ward's black dagger brotherhood series , too vampiric for me, but i'm still keeping in touch with the series :) i adore Zsadist though, specially how he treats Nalla :). Her fallen angel series on the other hand - somehow, i feel like i'm reading Christina Dodd's Chosen Ones series.

Gena Showalter - much prefer her alien huntress series (specially the latest one Ecstasy in Darkness). Her Lords of the Underworld is an interesting read though specially when Nix made a cameo (thereby catching Torin's interest)

am loving Nalini Singh's PsyChangeling series - and just finished my marathon reading so am all caught up and eagerly waiting for Hawke and Siena's story Kiss of Snow (June 2011) though i have to say, her political thread in PsyChangeling and Guild Hunter series is something i dont really like about the books lang.

@yche09: yup, sya nga yon...the one with the wings and madaming tattoos...tama, feeling ko din sya pinakanahirapan mag-control sa demon nya...at least yung iba, parang friends na din nila demons nila, pero sila ni wrath eh di man lang nag-uusap...hehe...:upset:
though parang nanghihinayang ako that he lost his demon, kasi parang di na sya lord of the underworld nun diba...and i think it also means that he lost some of his powers...i love powerful heroes pa naman...hihi, sana bumait nalang si wrath like the others, pero sabagay malabo mangyari dahil si wrath yata pinakamatigas ang ulo sa kanila...:lol:

2012 pa pala story ni Paris, tagal naman, i'm also looking forward to read his story...:)

hmmmm tama, i also like Sabin & Gwen's story...kakatuwa din basahin...

it's so nice na may nakakachika ako 'bout books...hehe...i know very few people na mahilig magbasa tulad ko...:p

@maysapaw: oh no, please wag mo 'kong tuksuhin, gusto ko tuloy isearch ang books ni Larissa Ione...nalulunod na 'ko sa mga books na gusto kong basahin...:lol:

parehas nga tayo, akala ko abnormal ako and ako lang ang ganon...:lol:

matry nga din yung style mu, sometimes kasi i find it hard to separate the book from the movie, i always end up comparing them, and feel disappointed kapag yung gusto kong scenes eh wala or binago...sige i'll try to forget the book while watching the movie...hehe...

@alkniliel:

hay, yes Zsadist and Nalla can really just melt your heart...specially sa novella yata nila yon i think...yung may Father something ang title...

Her Lords of the Underworld is an interesting read though specially when Nix made a cameo (thereby catching Torin's interest)

you mean the woman with the pointed ears Torin saw in his monitor is the famous Nix? am i right? huh, kala ko possible love interest sya ni Torin, guess not...:slap:

Last edited:

^ yep.. i'm sooo looking forward to Paris' story kasi diba sya yung sexiest sa kanila :) pero sa nakaraang books, sya naman pinaka lonely. 2012 is still far far away.. so ibang books muna ;)

yes, i know the feeling din.. wala kasi akong close friends na mahilig magbasa ng novels.. that is why i registered here chaka sa goodreads.com.. heaven :p i get to have books plus talk to people who actually read them. nowadays super nagrerely ako sa rating ng mga tao sa goodreads and sa recommendation ng mga ka symbianize ko. :lol:

you mean the woman with the pointed ears Torin saw in his monitor is the famous Nix? am i right? huh, kala ko possible love interest cya ni Torin, guess not...:slap:

I think the thing that gave away her identity (Nix) is the shirt she was wearing,. ugh i can't remember it clearly (ayan mag re read nanamn ako ng lords of the underworld :lol:)

@ sticky-feet Yeah ang cute nya dun esp yung mga constumes nya :lol: sabi nga sa comments ng mga tao.. finally daw, a good role for Marykate. I saw the teaser muna nung movie before i read the book.. kaya iffy nung dinescribe sya sa book as somewhat hairy? pero hindi ko nalang pinansin..basta all throughout the book.. ang naiimagine ko ay si alex :yipee: and uhm, ibang girl :lol:

@zelle1016 make sure you don't read the book around the time you will watch the movie, para wala masyadong recollection and comparison sa movie.

usually kasi people read the book before watching the movie so tendency eh they still remember a lot of things (description, story flow, feelings, and sometimes even the dialogue!)...so habang nanunuod, comment tuloy ng bakit ganun? bakit ganyan? bakit di sinabi ang ganun? bakit ang iba sinabi? etc, etc :lol:

btw...sige tempt kita :lol: maganda yung Demonica series (5 books lang) ni Larissa Ione :D

@yche09: oo nga, dapat talaga magkaroon na sila ni sienna ng happy ending, he's been lonely in the past 4? (i think?) books...come on Gena give Paris his well-deserved happy ending...:lol:

really? i also visit sa goodreads, pero di ako active sa mga discussions, i just read reviews or browse the lists for some good finds...:)

ako naman i depend more on the synopsis, kapag na-intrigue ako, i'll read it kahit di gano maganda reviews...tigas ulo eh...:lol:

@maysapaw: whoah you're evil...^^, ayan nasearch ko na tuloy, now i don't know kung Demonica series or IAD unahin ko, hmmm siguro Demonica muna, since 5 books lang according to you...;)

hay ang eyebags ko! kawawa naman...:lol:

i agree, kaya siguro nagandahan ako sa harry potter 7 part 1 na movie kesa sa mga nauna, because i've read the book years ago before the movie was released, kaya di ko na gano naaalala mga scenes sa book...btw di ako maingay pag nanunuod ng movie ha, more on internal lang aku...hehe...except for comedies, minsan hagalpak talaga...hehe...hay off-topic na eto!

Last edited:

^ zelle i-alternate mo na lang :) all i can say though is IAD has some comic moments *coughNIXcough* while Demonica series is darker/more serious.

guys - if i want to start reading Brenda Joyce, which book should i read first to get me hook with her writing? :D TIA!

@alkniliel:

you mean the woman with the pointed ears Torin saw in his monitor is the famous Nix? am i right? huh, kala ko possible love interest cya ni Torin, guess not...:slap:

yup yup! It was mentioned in Kiss of a Demon King (Kresley Cole) that Nix will visit Budapest to investigate a band of immortal warriors so i was kinda hoping of a bit more from Nixxie than the short cameo she had in Lords of the Underworld :)

hi all...

sorry ngayon lang ako nakabalik dito..anyways..

@yche, I've read the book first of I Am Number Four before I saw the movie. They fairly follows the book. Some are taken out and rearrange but okay pa din. I super love NUMBER 6, she kickass. I can't wait for the nex book and movie (hopefully) the Power of Six.

And yes love Rhage, I also love that scene where Mary tame Rhage beast. Super wow, kakainlove.

Okay between Vishous and Phury, I don't like Phury. I agree with you g0dd3ss he is too whiny.

Ward's BDB series is more focus on the men. There's not much description for the ladies.

I'm done with IAD's WWF and A Hunger Like No Other, I'm starting to read No Rest for the Wicked. Agreed with Nix, she's like always high. She has her own world. And she talks funny. :lol:

@maysapaw, For Brenda Joyce's book, the first book I've read is Fires of Paradise. You can start with the Bragg Saga, then the deWarrene Dynasty. Pwede din unahin mo deWarrene Dynasty. They are interchangeble naman.

Here's the in order sa books nya. :) Though you can read her book all alone naman. ;D

Bragg Saga
1. Innocent Fire (1988)
2. Firestorm (1988)
3. Violet Fire (1989)
4. Dark Fires (1991)
5. The Fires of Paradise (1992)
6. Scandalous Love (1992)
7. Secrets (1993)

deWarenne Dynasty
1. The Conqueror (1990)
2. Scandalous Love (1992)
3. Promise of the Rose (1993)
4. The Game (1995)
5. House of Dreams (2000)
6. The Prize (2004)
7. The Masquerade (2005)
8. The Stolen Bride (2006)
9. A Lady at Last (2006)
10. The Perfect Bride (2007)
11. A Dangerous Love (2008)
12. An Impossible Attraction (2010)
13. The Promise (2010)

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/j/brenda-joyce/

Larissa Ione's Demonica series is also in my TBR List. ;)

About reading the book and being dissappoint the movie, I think Paolo C. nailed it. Kasi some scene na paborito mo sa book most of the time wala sa movie. Kaya nakaka dissappoint. But if you separate them I think you would still appreciate the movie kahit hindi lahat na gusto mo sa book eh nandoon.

Last edited:

@ zelle1016 - hindi rin ako masyadong active sa discussion nila sa goodreads.. mostly taga basa lang ako :lol: pero nag member ako kasi ang saya magsort ng books dun. like my own private lib. :)

dati i depend sa nakasulat at the back of the book.. pero nadala ako kasi sometimes bad ending pala..i end up disappointed.

@ diokdin - i still haven't watched it.. i think bukas pa ata open sa cinema. or today ata. errr.. wala pa kasi ako makasama manuod so.. i'm still waiting. I'm itching na rin to read the book.. kaya lang, mas masaya ata manuod na i have no idea kung ano mangyayari :p

I read sa goodreads.. and may thread pa ha.. na RIP blackdagger brotherhood. Simula daw sa book ni Phury, prang nag iba daw writing style ni JR ward.. i don't know how real that is since hindi ko nga tinapos yung book ni Phury (and honestly, from book 1, i kept on skipping the parts of the villains).

I finished reading Amy and Roger's epic detour kagabi.. and i just wanna say :thanks: to those who recommended it.. Maganda pala talaga. Have you ever experienced that after reading a book..you ask your self, why didn't i pick this up earlier? what took me so long to read this? I am experiencing that right now.

I think i will also place Demonica series on my TBR list. I've been hearing good things about it.. hmm

Back
Top Bottom