Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Chat/Discussion of books we've read, Book Recommendations/Suggestions...

Re: Chat/Discussion of the book we've Read, Book Recommendations/Suggestions...

@zelle1016 i totally agree with you about the dissatisfaction sa ending...at least 1 conversation that said it all sana.

nacurious din ako sa comment ni iamayeesha about harry potter... through google search... I think what she means is oksa pollock...currently 3 books yata written by librarians...a girl hero who has powers and originates in London while she is Russian yata.

@myslaguitao - okay, i won't dare finish SVconfidential na. :)

@momma - napanuod mo na po movie ng Beastly? errr.. hindi pa ako makanuod :weep:. I love the book so i'm pretty pretty sure i'll love the movie too....

@zelle1016 - Yep, i'm really trying to get over it. Hindi ko na gaano pinapansin ang ratings. Unless siguro 2 stars lang or 1.

oohhh.. dati ko namang problem yan. It started when i read The Perfect Date by R.L Stine.. highschool pa ako nun. The ending was just horrible (gore and very unexpected) that i was traumatized. After reading that book, ayun.. palagi ko nang tinitignan yung ending bago ko bilhin. Nawala kang yung habbit kong yun when i started reading ebooks.. troublesome kasing iscroll pa. hehehe.:lol:

-------------------------

Finished reading book 4 and 5 of Love at Stake series. Book 4 (The Undead Next Door) is still a light read pero medyo more on the serious side although of course, may funny moments parin. :)

Book 5 (All I Want for Christmas Is a Vampire) is one of my favorite after book 3. Hilarious and very sweet talaga.. ma aksyon din. I like it love it. :thumbsup:

@momma: Is Beastly really nice? I think I'll watch the movie first before reading the book.. It's already out anyway. :) And I usually don't like the movies if I read the book first. Haha.

@sticky-feet: Hope you don't mind me adding.. Hehe. I read Babe in Boyland na, it reminds me a lot of She's The Man nga movie, with Amanda Bynes and Channing Tatum. It's a light read but a bit entertaining.

@zelle1016: I know! Nakakainis yung ending with Gale. I mean, how many years na sila naging best friends and that's how it ends? Come on! I really liked Peeta, but I was going for GalexKatniss. Ugh. Figures that the guy I root for never gets the girl. (Like Jacob in Twilight, the only guy I liked there) This series started my dystopian addiction too! But still looking for books that can compete with it... Any recommendations? :)

Hiya guys :salute:, bukas na ko makaka-reply ng maayos 'cause I'm out of town, sumingit lang sa phone. :p

:welcome: sa mga bago sa thread!

----

Hindi ko muna tinapos ang The Chase, ayoko pa ma-disappoint. So... isang book lang ang natapos ko this week :(, but it's a good book nontheless. It's an In-Between book again, hehe I can always count on Harlequin. The book's called His Wife for One Night by Molly O'Keefe. 4.5/5 ang rating ko. I've always loved the marriage-of-convenience trope, and this one has that basic plot, it's really different. I loved relationship between the different characters in the book (not just the H/h's). Recommended.

Currently reading Eloisa James's A Kiss at Midnight (this is my first EJ book). So far, thoroughly enjoying the book! :excited: Tama naman yung reviews na nabasa ko about this one. ;)

----

@ iamayeesha: Were you talking about the Oksa Pollock series by Anne Plichota? I heard that's a good one as well! Nagpaparinig pa ko sa Tita ko sa UK to send me a copy e, hehe.

ngek! reading the recent posts I realized n hindi pla napost yung reply ko. :upset: grrr @ smartbro! ambagal sa amin. pramis!Anyway, here goes again.

@myslaguitao I liked Liz character better in HS underdog kasi. lol But then I was 14, so what do I know? Now that I'm an adult, mas naappreciate ko yung characters na gaya ni Jessica. Strong kasi siya and even if she's conniving and spoiled meron din naman siyang soft side. And she goes after what she wants with everything she got.

@zelle I know what you mean. Ako I don't read the reviews til I finished the book. And only to see If my impression of the book is same as others. Sometimes kasi in my opinion the book is great even if it had low ratings.

Finished Demonica series. Iwould have liked yung kay Sin best but I was not satisfied dun sa reunion nila ni Con. I expected it to be more intense. Now looking forward to the nest Lords of Deliverance novel. Larissa Ione now one of my fave writers. :)

baka mag-YA ako next.

@myslaguitao riiight? that's how i felt too! i kept going back & forth sa may ending thinking na baka i skipped a page...but turns out, that's all there was to it...:kainis:

i googled oksa pollock too...though i dont think its been published in english yet...i think its in french? guess we'll have to wait summore...:D

@yche09 haha...yup, i think its safe to say that you wont be missing anything if the book has only 1 or 2 stars only...:) (wow, that has got to be a really bad novel...:lol:)

hmmm, yup its been a problem of mine for a while...:weep:

@decadence diba diba...sana naman gumawa ng kahit novella man lang si Suzanne Collins 'bout Gale...hay..:sigh: i love Gale din, he's more my type..hihi..:blush: i think i like him better than Peeta, though you cant really ignore Peeta after all he've been through for Katniss, so i was okay with whomever she ends up with...:D but dang that Gale ending is just so not what it was supposed to be...ugh...:kainis:

recos? hmmm, so far the only novel i read that came close to HG was Battle Royale, in terms of action ha...this one's really, erm violent..haha...

others ive read are,
The Maze Runner (i've yet to read the sequel)
Incarceron (i've yet to read the sequel..also)
Gone Series (though, as i've said i'm still on the 1st book, this one's promising, i just ruined it for myself...)
btw, i kinda peeked at the endings of those books i mentioned above kaya hindi ko pa matapos-tapos...im still waiting to forget what i've read at the end...see what i have to deal with? :kainis:

oh and The Line by Teri Hall

then, im planning to read
Wither
Enclave
Life as we knew it
they're all dystopian as far as i know...:)

i think thats it...not too many when i think 'bout it..:lol: too many distractions from other genres..:D

@sticky-feet hay...buti ka pa...you got the chance to vacay...:D

@mohcandy uh huh, i found that style to be helpful...haha...ako naman i dont really read reviews, tamad ako magbasa...dito lang ako sinipag...:lol:

----------

just finished reading The Body Finder, and i agree with the previous comments 'bout Violet, there were scenes where i wanted to bonk her head with something hard...haha..:lol:, though hindi naman ganon kadami ang, maybe around 2 or 3 times lang naman...

and Jay!!, hay he's really very ideal, like you wont ask for anyone else ideal...he's on my fave male leads list na..:yipee:

@zelle Di ba Jay is sooo dreamy? He's the type that can ruin other heroes for you. Anyway, you have to read Being Jamie Baker! I promise you you'll love Ryan as much as Jay. Although, the problem with near-perfect heroes is that the heroine seems never good enough kaya naiinis tayo sa kanila minsan.

Yeah, it's better to read the book before the reviews in order to enjoy it based on its merits and not because we have already prejudged it. That's what happens when reading reviews beforehand, we already have expectations. Sometimes they're not met, so the book ends a disappointment. But siguro, okey lang din na tingnan yung star rating but not the content of the review itself in order to weed out the "really bad" from our tbr list.

Maki-butt in na rin sa HG discussion. I really liked Gale sa first book although, Peeta pa rin ako from the start. In fact I cheated and scanned read the ending of the 3rd book before I proceeded to make sure na sila nga in the end. I never seen the romance between Gale and Katniss. For me, para silang magkapatid. Yung protectiveness ni Gale is that of a brother to a sister. At leastr that's how I percieved their relationship sa book 1. It's only in book 2 that Susan Collins decided that there should be a love triangle (grrr), so suddenly Gale have romantic designs towards Katniss. I'd have preferred na meron ding sariling love interest si Gale. Hindi kasi sila bagay personalities nila ni Katniss. They're too much alike. I love Gale's character, but not for Katniss.

Then, in book 3 Susan Collins tried to make Gale less likeable. Sometimes he's almost a jerk. I think this is so that the reader ( esp those from team Gale) will like Peeta more. But all in all, i agree that Gale deserve a better ending. Parang one sentence lang binigay sa kanya ni Susan. I almost couldn't believe it. In fact, I reread the chapter thinking I might have missed something. SPOLER! So what happened to Gale?

(He's in ) “District Two. Got some fancy job there. I see him now and again on the television,” Katniss had to learn from another person. SO UNFAIR!!! I expected more. Zelle is right, kelangan niya ng novella, at least.

I was in the mood for some erotic romance, so I read Maya Banks' ( cause she's a great for an erotica writer) Colter's Legacy. It was good, she'll have you believe that such a set-up (three brothers have one wife to share among them) could actually exist. Hindi masagwa pagkasulat niya but the story did make my skin crawl. I guess I'm too conservative for it. Even though I just skimmed na lang from middle to end, I regret reading it. because now I can't read KGI 2, the book somehow colored how I see Garret and Rachel's relationship. After all, the monster that wrote KGI is also same monster that wrote the Colter's legacy. In fact, one of the brothers in Colter's Legacy is also named Ethan.

I'm now reading The Sky is Everywhere. The grandmother is hilarious.Mukhang feel-good ito baka mabura niya yung Colter's Legacy sa isip ko.

about HG - hehe butt in din.. Anticlimactic si Book 3 for me because of many reasons and isa na dun si Gale.. parang.. uhm, ganun nalang yun? what happened to him after that? I like Gale's character from the start and i just feel na entitled sya sana to a good ending hindi yung parang na out of the picture sya ng ganun ganun nalang. And i agree na the author made Gale look bad sa book 3 pero thats just because she needed us (the readers) to like Peeta more. Sa totoo lang, i like Peeta more naman din kahit nung ok pa character ni Gale. Hehe, wala lang.. rant ko lang. ;)

---------------------------------------

I took a breather from Love at Stake Series and i read Pacific Heat Series by Jill Shalvis (2 books) I reco this series btw,

Double Play (Pacific Heat, #1) - I won't lie, mejo shallow yung plot and predictable. Pero its still a sweet novel and a good read. Again, wala akong alam sa baseball so i found this book quite informative. You'd want to bash the guy's skull at some point kasi nakakaasar pero it makes the book enticing and fun na for once, si girl ang mas may gusto kay guy. :)

Slow Heat (Pacific Heat, #2) - Okaaayy.. this one's waaayyy better than book 1 in terms of plot and characters. For me, Wade (hero) is an entertaining character. He's hot and he's very sweet. Nakakatuwa yung interaction nila ni Sam (heroine). Allergic sa commitment si Wade while Sam is always guarding her heart (which turns her into ice queen). Nakakakilig kasi showy si Wade kahit finifigure out palang nila whats going on between them. I guess i can call this a feel-good novel (hehe, i felt good after reading this eh :lol:)

@mohcandy yup, Jay the dream guy...:D and dontcha think he's got some supernatural powers of his own? i swear he senses whenever Violet's in trouble...haha...coz he's really always there...

oookay, will read Being Jamie Baker ASAP! :D

guess, that's just how it goes, male leads like 'em need girls who need their help most of the time...maybe kaya din nahihighlight ang uber dreamy qualities of these guys, i mean, they can't save a girl who doesn't need to be saved right? :noidea:

totally agree w/ you on not reading reviews before reading the book...its always a nice feeling for me, when i read a book w/o any expectations then be pleasantly surprised when it turns out really good...:)

@mohcandy & @yche09 i agree w/ you guys on Gale as in, i think the author went well-out of her way to make Gale less likable, well i can be wrong coz he wasnt shown much on the 1st book, so his character was kinda shown more on the next two...but still...

yes, ive read many debates on the net din on who deserves Katniss better...honestly i was torn, not really all for Peeta, or all for Gale either...i mean Peeta was there during the Games, but Gale was there during Hunts since they were a lot younger diba...so i felt that the author didnt really need to make Gale like that, so im really disappointed...

and yeah, i think it coulda been better if he had another one (love interest), i was thinking the daughter of District 12's Mayor...but that didnt happen...

riiiight? i love Gale, so i dont think he deserved to have just that one sentence...:kainis:

sana nga that wont be the last of the Hunger Games...:lol:

Last edited:

@mohcandy... well in SVC superunderdog pa rin si Liz... plus I don't like the pairings. ay... parang natakot akong magsabi kung worth reading or not. it's just I hate the team-ups in the endso different and evolved from where it left off (or my memories of it anyway). Plus the dev't of characters nina Enid, Lila, Caroline, and Winston... leaves me speechless in frustration.

@zelle...yay! nasa list ko ng TBR ang The Line eh...nacucurious ako... about HG...I think we are in agreement... we need a bit more for Gale..because for me kulang ang thoughts ni Katniss about what Gale would be doing while the Games were going on for her. Tsaka di naman inemphasize nun kung ginagawa niya yun for love or kawang-gawa..plus I just want more...at least a conversation to say all those things left unsaid. Kahit by phone man lang na isiningit nila. GRRR!

@decadence and other dystopian-lovers: ever heard of Divergent by Veronica Roth? Sabi nila it's going to be the next Hunger Games. This May pa ata sya marrelease pero sobrang daming positive feedbacks na ang nabasa ko. I'm dying to read it as well!

Anyway, recommend ko lang The Stillburrow Crush by Linda Kage. Contemporary YA. Kakatapos ko lang basahin. Suuuuuper cute! Maiksi lang sya kaya mabilis lang basahin. :]

@decadence yup, for me goodreads yun Beastly, modernize version ng Beauty and the beast... and maganda yun pagkakasulat ni Alex Finn, like the way author's point of view na in rearlity meron "happy ever after" though we need to work for it para ma achieve natin ;)

@yche, nope haven't watched the movie yet... walang time weh... :upset:

@guys (who read SV Confidential) parang nawalan naman ako ng gana basahin yun book coz of your reviews guys.... :( is the book really disappointing?

@zelle so have you read Being Jamie Baker? No pressure. ;) lol Di ba Ryan is sooo irresistible?

@myslaguitao I would have thought Liz had grown some backbone by now. And Jessica should have matured already. Being a conniving bitch don't look well on an adult. At least when she's young, she had the excuse of youth.I think I'll keep my memories of them from high school, thanks. Clearly, madi-disappoint lang ako sa kanila now. Thanks sa feedbacks mo. One less book from my tbr.

@HG fans, I've read somewhere na si Susan Collins din daw kinuha na screenwriter ng movie vrsion ng HG. Sana bumawi naman siya dun kay Gale. May mga fans na gusto si Hailee Steinfeld (of True Grit) ang mag-play kay Katniss. Totally agree ako dun. She's a great actress (nominated for Golden Globe best supporting actress), aside from the fact na may dugong Pinoy to.

Finished The Sky is Everywhere. I'd recommend this. When I finished the book, I felt same way as when I finished Anna and the French Kiss-- with a smile on my face. However, IMO mas my depth yung The Sky is Everywhere. It somewhat reminded me of Charles St. Cloud.

I'm currently reading Falling Under by Gwen Hayes. I don' know if it will improve later, but now parang me deja vu: awkward, insecure girl perks up at the gorgeous new guy in school whom she is inexplicably drawn to. This type of YA are getting predictable na. I'm also reminded of something I read a few months ago, Nevermore by Kelly Creagh. Both with dreamworld themes. This early, I 'll say na mas maganda yata Nevermore. My reasons: the protagonists are not supernaturals, the heroine is super popular at school (cheerleader and dating the hottest guy in school), the hero is not gorgeous nor popular but compelling and appealing noneheless. It contains none of the cliches in YA. But it is well written and the story is great and unique. My griefs with it: it's too long and I have to wait until next year for book 2 (grrr! what's up with YA authors telling a story through 3 or more books?)

But I'm stiil lhopeful for Falling Under. I have to admit Haden is hot though hard to explain (he runs hot and cold toward the heroine).

@mohcandy I've read both Falling Under and Nevermore. And yeah, I agree. Nevermore is so much better. Have you seen Enshadowed's cover? Love it. Kitang kita na yung faces nina Isobel and Varen. Nga lang Jan 2 pa release. :weep: And as for Hunger Games movie, nakuha na ni Jennifer Lawrence yung role as Katniss. Si Josh Hutcherson naman as Peeta and Liam Hemsworth as Gale.

HungerGames_Hutcherson_Lawrence_Hemsworth.jpg

-insert double weep- mas gusto ko sana si Hailee as Katniss kaya lang isa na rin si Suzanne Collins sa pumili kay Jenn Lawrence. Magaling daw talaga si Jenn Lawrence e. As for Peeta, mas feel ko din si Hunter Parrish. Biggest disappoint is Liam Hemsworth! Ugh. Ex ni Miley Cyrus. Nang dahil sa kanya, ayoko na kay Gale. :p

Last edited:

@zelle1016 - agree! sana magbago isip nila or something.. sana may next book or they make an alternative ending. Wishful thinking ba? :)

@Slayze - Thanks for recommending The Stillburrow Crush. Checked it out in goodreads.. mukang maganda and i'm kind of into sports novels nowdays (football, baseball etc). TBR'ed. :)

@momma - awww me too.. ako naman as always, walang kasama. about SVconfidential, i found it hmm..rather flat. But thats just me, umpisa lang naman binasa ko ;).

@mohcandy - i remember reading Nevermore and smiling at the start and middle of the novel.. only to be disappointed with the ending. tapos nalaman ko may book 2 naman pala, so i guess its okay . I wonder, ganun din kaya yung Falling Under? its still at the middle of my long long very long list and its not moving....:noidea:

----------------------------------
Finished reading Love at Stake book 6, 7 and 8..

Secret Life of a Vampire (Love at Stake #6) - Most romantic book of the series, still retained the funny side, but with much more romance and awwww moments.

Forbidden Nights With a Vampire (Love at Stake #7) - BEST BEST BEST novel so far in the series!!! Much better than my previous fave Be Still my Vampire Heart. I was so sure i would hate Vanda but hell, i can be so wrong sometimes. I lover her character.. and i love Phil!!! can i take him home? ^_^ Full of hilarious lines tapos great ending! best ending ever. I love Phil as a werewolf! definitely better than Jacob of twilight. haha, just saying. :lol:

some spoiler I can testify that all of the previous book in this series is really quite hilarious.. BUT this one? make that times 10! It started on a really light hearted funny note wherein Vanda is summoned for accusations and then later on was sentenced by Roman to an anger management program then Phil volunteered to be her sponsor. I swear i was doubling over laughing at the accusations! haha, it made my night! i commend the fact that for once, the heroine isn't anti-vamps (she just had to be anti werewolves.. and oh, behold, the hero just had to be one! haha ^^ ). Vanda's character is completely different from the other heroines (she's volatile, violent.. adn with VIOLET HAIR! :lol: which makes her a breath of fresh air. I love how devoted Phil is to Vanda. They do make a very nice couple. /end of spoiler

The Vampire and the Virgin (Love at Stake #8) - Nakakakilig! Olivia is the heroine (sorta reminds me of Olivia from LOTU and Robby described her as an angel when they first met too) and Robby is the hero. Mejo nakakainis si Robby because he's easily angered, pero i guess understandable since he got tortured nung book 7. But he got better naman as the story progressed. I sweeaarr nakakatawa talaga yung ibang scenes and their lines i was laughing out loud.

Last edited:

can,t w8 for divergent too..

if u have a penchant for historical romance, i recommend judith mcnaught's something wonderful and whitney, my love..johanna lindsey's a loving scoundrel and secret fire..jude deveraux's remembrance and knight in shining armor and wishes...teresa medeiros' lady of conquest and a kiss to remember..dallas schulze's short straw bride..

:hi: Bonita Jia :welcome: ida-dagdag ko yang kay TM at kay DS sa TBR List ko. Like ko rin ang Something Wonderful at Whitney, My Love ni Judith McNaught pati ang mga books ni Johanna Lindsey especially ang Mallory Series.:thumbsup:

:hi: sa mga ibang bago sa thread :welcome:

@momma ida-dagdag ko rin ung Beastly sa TBR list ko, parang nai-intriga narin ako... Favorite ko pa naman sa Disney ang Beauty and the Beast.:excited:

@yche Like ko yung may mga funny moments... kaya parang nai-intriga rin ako sa Love at Stake Series...:yipee:

>>> Currently Reading Ravished By A Highlander By Paula Quinn, ok lang ang story pero medjo natagalan ako sa pagbasa nito, para sakin hindi siya ganon kaganda na hindi ka makastop sa pagbasa...:p pero tatapusin ko parin mamaya or bukas, hehehe:giggle:

>>> Looking for something to read na gaya ang story ng Harry Potter or Charmed para maiba naman, hehehe:help:

>>>Sino nga sa inyo ung nakabasa ng Graceling and Fire? Maganda ba ito? hindi bitin ang story? Anong unang magandang Basahin, ang Graceling or ang Fire? :noidea:

@bonita_jia - :welcome: thanks sa reco! :)

@charmed19jess - ayaaan, sige basahin mo ha :clap: :dance: i sweaaar its fun! I read Graceling before Hunger Games... and YES!! maganda! you won't regret :yipee:

@charmed19jess: I loved both Graceling and Fire! Graceling is better IMO. Mas maganda kung basahin mo muna Graceling. :)

Back
Top Bottom