Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

God's Message For You Today

20 February
Sunday

it’s our CHOI CE

“You shall not bear hatred for your brother in your heart…Take no revenge and cherish no grudge…” – Leviticus 19:17-18

Cherish verb. 1. To hold dear; treat with care and affection. 2. To keep deeply in mind.
Oh, I definitely cherished it. Every time I remembered the things that person said against my husband, I wanted to lash out at her and say all the things that people were saying behind her back. She told others about the speck in my husband’s eye but she couldn’t see the plank that everyone else could see on hers.
I wanted to get it off my chest but the words of Jesus kept haunting me. “Love your enemies. Pray for your persecutors.” My husband kept reminding me that it wasn’t my battle. I was so upset that it was consuming me and poisoning my spirit, imprisoning me and robbing me of my peace. I begged the Lord to help me overcome the ill feelings but they keptflooding my heart with resentment.
Then in a prayer meeting, I heard a preacher say, “You have a choice.” Suddenly, God’s light broke through. I can choose to love or to hate. I can choose to forgive and be at peace or to be resentful and miserable. Praise God for free will! I can choose to be free!Ronna Ledesma ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Would you really have peace of mind if you gave someone a piece of your mind?

Thank You, Jesus, for Your tremendous grace that enables us to hold back our tongue and allow Your love to wash away the filth in our hearts.

----------

1st READING
The basis for the teaching of Jesus is already there in the Old Testament. The story of God’s work with the Jews is not just a prologue to Christianity – it provides us with the foundation for our understanding of our relationship with God. The call to be holy is fundamental to a life of discipleship. We cannot avoid it and thus we must find a way to grow in holiness each day through prayer and service of the Kingdom of God.

Leviticus 19:1-2, 17-18
1 The LORD said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the whole Israelite community and tell them: Be holy, for I, the LORD your God, am holy. 17 “You shall not bear hatred for your brother or sister in your heart. Though you may have to reprove your fellow man, do not incur sin because of him. 18 Take no revenge and cherish no grudge against your fellow countrymen. You shall love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.”

P S A L M

Psalms 103:1-2, 3-4, 8, 10, 12-13
R: The Lord is kind and merciful.
1 Bless the LORD, O my soul; and all my being, bless his holy name. 2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits. (R) 3 He pardons all your iniquities, he heals all your ills. 4 He redeems your life from destruction, he crowns you with kindness and compassion. (R) 8 Merciful and gracious is the LORD, slow to anger and abounding in kindness. 10 Not according to our sins does he deal with us, nor does he requite us according to our crimes. (R) 12 As far as the east is from the west, so far has he put our transgressions from us. 13 As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him. (R)

2nd READING

Every time we sin, no matter how small or big, we damage our ability to truly reflect and minister the love of God to others. This is why we need to realize that everything we do or say reflects upon our character as disciples of Jesus! Have an image of what you think a good disciple of Jesus should be like and compare your own life to that image. I dare say that there is probably quite a difference between what you think you should be and what you are!

1Corinthians 3:16-23
16 Brothers and sisters: Do you not know that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for the temple of God, which you are, is holy. 18 Let no one deceive himself. If any one among you considers himself wise in this age, let him become a fool so as to become wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in the eyes of God, for it is written: “He catches the wise in their own ruses,” 20 and again: “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.” 21 So let no one boast about human beings, for everything belongs to you, 22 Paul or Apollos or Kephas, or the world or life or death, or the present or the future: all belong to you, 23 and you to Christ, and Christ to God.

G O S P E L

Jesus reiterates the Old Testament call to grow in holiness. It is good for us to be reminded of this fundamental aspect of Christian living as it is often neglected in our day and age through the spirit of compromise that we so often imbibe from the world. When it comes to God and the call to holiness, near enough is not good enough! Jesus deserves only the best we can give Him.

ALLELUIA

R: Alleluia, alleluia
Whoever keeps the word of Christ, the love of God is truly perfected in him.

Matthew 5:38-48
38 Jesus said to his disciples: “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil. When someone strikes you on your right cheek, turn the other one to him as well. 40 If anyone wants to go to law with you over your tunic, hand him your cloak as well. 41 Should anyone press you into service for one mile, go with him for two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks of you, and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow. 43 You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have? Do not the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your brothers only, what is unusual about that? Do not the pagans do the same? 48 So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

my reflections
t h i n k : When it comes to God and the call to holiness, near enough is not good enough! Jesus deserves only the best we can give Him.

------------------

A MORON, AN AVENGER OR A CHRISTIAN
One day, a man went to visit the wise man of the village. “Teacher,” the man said, “my brother hit me on both cheeks and so I fled. What should I do?” The wise man looked at him and asked, “Were you able to count how many times he hit you?” “Forty-nine times, Master,” the man answered. The wise man smiled at him and said, “Go back and tell him to hit you another time to make it 50.” “But what for?” the man shouted, surprised by the wise man’s advice. “Well, my friend,” replied the wise man, “the 50th is for your stupidity, you moron! Why let your brother hit you 49 times without doing anything about it?”
When Jesus said that we should offer our other cheek if anyone hits us on the right cheek, He did not mean that we have to be so stupid to willingly submit ourselves to violence or to take revenge. Jesus, of course, does not want us to end up mangled and violated. Instead, He wants that we stop the vicious cycle of violence. Taking revenge never ends violence; it aggravates it.
When someone strikes us and aims for another round, would we be morons not to take cover? Would we be vengeful and strike back? Or would we be Christian enough to take his hand and start a dialogue to understand where he is coming from, with the hope that reconciliation would follow?
We can be morons, avengers or Christians. The choice is ours. Choose before the next strike and let your choice be always loving.
But let us not be blinded by our illusions about love: that we really love when we feel like loving; that loving means liking; and that love begets love.
Let us not be morons. Let us not be avengers. Let us be what we have been called and chosen to be: Christians, disciples of Christ who forgives us even before we forgive others. Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question:
Am I a moron, an avenger or a Christian?

Flood me with Your love, O Lord, the love that forgives me and restores me in Your grace. As You forgive me, may I have the strength and generosity to forgive those who sin against me. I refuse to be a moron. I do not desire revenge. I want to be a Christian in life until death and beyond. Amen.

St. Colgan, pray for us.

Conquer this new week with God's Word in your heart!

21 February
Monday

The Power of Prayer

“This kind can only come out through prayer.” – Mark 9:29

“Just pray about it,” a friend told me this a long time ago when I was in a bad situation and I felt like I had reached the end of my rope.
“Just like that?” I asked. I was hoping she would give me some advice so I wondered, “What is it about prayer that makes one think everything will be fine when we actually do it? Sure, I’d pray, but it won’t change anything!” I was so wrong.
We often come before God in prayer with various requests for guidance, healing, forgiveness and all other pleas for help. We give Him praise whenever these requests are granted. But in difficult situations that cause frustration and desperation, we sometimes find ourselves doubting if things can be resolved with just a simple prayer. What we don’t realize is that prayer is actually our greatest tool because it is the fundamental exercise of faith and hope. It’s a necessary process of abandoning the world and all the lies in it and connecting with God who leads us to what is true and real. It purifies our thoughts, feelings, motives, will and our entire being. It brings about peace that enables us to have a better perspective of things.
Try it. It really does wonders. Jane Gonzales-Rauch ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Prayer may not eliminate our troubles but it will surely change our soul.

Thank You, Lord, for the gift of prayer that refreshes our soul and gives us peace when we most need it. Amen.

-------------

1st READING

The wisdom of God will always remain a little beyond our understanding. This is a reminder to us that we are not God and therefore must submit our lives to Him. Let us pray that we will be able to discern the wisdom that really matters from that which does not and then choose to focus our lives upon it. Let us pray for a deeper appreciation for the truth and so be drawn into a deeper relationship with God’s wisdom and truth.

Sirach 1:1-10
1 All wisdom comes from the LORD and with him it remains forever. 2 The sand of the seashore, the drops of rain, the days of eternity: Who can number these? 3 Heaven’s height, earth’s breadth, the depths of the abyss: Who can explore these? 4 Before all things else wisdom was created; and prudent understanding, from eternity. 5 To whom has wisdom’s root been revealed? Who knows her subtleties? 6 There is but one, wise and truly awe-inspiring, seated upon his throne: 7 It is the LORD; he created her, has seen her and taken note of her. 8 He has poured her forth upon all his works, upon every living thing according to his bounty; he has lavished her upon his friends. 9 Fear of the LORD is glory and splendor, gladness and a festive crown. 10 Fear of the LORD warms the heart, giving gladness and joy and length of days.

P S A L M

Psalms 93:1, 1-2, 5
R: The Lord is king; he is robed in majesty.
1 The LORD is king, in splendor robed; robed is the LORD and girt about with strength. (R) And he has made the world firm, not to be moved. 2 Your throne stands firm from of old; from everlasting you are, O LORD. (R) 5 Your decrees are worthy of trust indeed, holiness befits your house, O LORD, for length of days. (R)

G O S P E L

It is Jesus’ depth of relationship with His Father that enables Him to perform miracles. Let this be an encouragement to us to grow in our relationship with Jesus so that we would be better able to serve in the Kingdom of God and more likely to see the power of God at work in our ministry. Let us never doubt that God wants to use us for His purposes and that part of this will involve working miracles in His name.

ALLELUIA
Our Savior Jesus Christ has destroyed death and brought life to light through the Gospel.

Mark 9:14-29
14 As Jesus came down from the mountain with Peter, James, John and approached the other disciples, they saw a large crowd around them and scribes arguing with them. 15 Immediately on seeing him, the whole crowd was utterly amazed. They ran up to him and greeted him. 16 He asked them, “What are you arguing about with them?” 17 Someone from the crowd answered him, “Teacher, I have brought to you my son possessed by a mute spirit. 18 Wherever it seizes him, it throws him down; he foams at the mouth, grinds his teeth, and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive it out, but they were unable to do so.” 19 He said to them in reply, “O faithless generation, how long will I be with you? How long will I endure you? Bring him to me.” 20 They brought the boy to him. And when he saw him, the spirit immediately threw the boy into convulsions. As he fell to the ground, he began to roll around and foam at the mouth. 21 Then he questioned his father, “How long has this been happening to him?” He replied, “Since childhood. 22 It has often thrown him into fire and into water to kill him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.” 23 Jesus said to him, “ ‘If you can!’ Everything is possible to one who has faith.” 24 Then the boy’s father cried out, “I do believe, help my unbelief!” 25 Jesus, on seeing a crowd rapidly gathering, rebuked the unclean spirit and said to it, “Mute and deaf spirit, I command you: come out of him and never enter him again!” 26 Shouting and throwing the boy into convulsions, it came out. He became like a corpse, which caused many to say, “He is dead!” 27 But Jesus took him by the hand, raised him, and he stood up. 28 When he entered the house, his disciples asked him in private, “Why could we not drive it out?” 29 He said to them, “This kind can only come out through prayer.”

my reflections
t h i n k : Let us pray that we will be able to discern the wisdom that really matters from that which does not and then choose to focus our lives upon it.

----------

PRAY AND FAST WITH LOVE
When the disciples were unable to cast out the mute spirit from the boy, they asked Jesus, “Why could we not drive this one out?” Jesus said to them, “This kind can only come out through prayer.” The answer of Jesus is intriguing, isn’t it?
First, it implies that there are other kinds of evil spirits. Beware of them. Second, it implies that there are evil spirits that can be driven out through means other than prayer. What other means can be used to cast out evil spirits? Love drives out evil just as it covers a multitude of sins.
Third, it also implies that those who drive out evil spirits are not always necessarily praying. Were the disciples not praying when they attempted to cast out the mute spirit without the help of Jesus? We are no better, aren’t we?
One thing is certain though: What seems to be impossible can be made possible through prayer. Through prayer, closed minds open, cold hearts ignite and stubborn spirits obey. Through prayer, impure hearts are cleansed and enslaved spirits are freed. Through prayer, wounded hearts are healed, and evil spirits are cast out.
Sometime ago, a celebrity-friend of mine emailed me from San Francisco, USA, asking for prayers for her family that was going through a difficult time. She said that she herself was fervent in her prayers: she goes to Mass and prays the rosary every day. She ends her email with a statement that, coming from a celebrity like her, moved me. “Tomorrow,” she wrote, “I will begin fasting.” I thought fasting has lost its significance for so-called “modern people.” I was mistaken.
Prayer and fasting never lose their importance. In Jesus’ earthly life, prayer and fasting were effective means in conquering evil. They remain effective to this day.
The devil is real. It continues to manipulate people. Demonic possessions are real. They continue to enslave people. But prayer and fasting are also real and always powerful against evil. Love gives prayer and fasting the power to
cast out demons. Thus, never forget to always pray and fast with love. Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question:
Is there love in my praying and fasting?

Cast out from me, O Lord, all evil spirits. Teach me to pray and fast always with love. I surrender my whole self to you. Make me a dwelling place of Your Spirit. Make me a channel of Your Spirit unto others. Amen.

St. Gundebert, pray for us.

Huwag kang pumasok sa landas ng masama, at huwag kang lumakad ng lakad ng mga masasamang tao. - Kawikaan 4:14

Last edited:
Reflect God?s love to every person you meet this Tuesday.

February
Tuesday

Feast of Chair of St. Peter, Apostle

The Man in the picture

When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”... He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” – Matthew 16:13, 15

As a kid, I remember looking up at our bedroom wall and seeing a framed photo of a bearded guy that seemed to shut his eyes when I look at an angle and open them when I move to another. It freaked me out. That man to me was some strange guy called Jesus.
But as I grew up, I was introduced to another Jesus, who endeared my heart to Him. This is the Jesus Christ who gave me the grace to serve as a young choirboy in our parish in Laguna, who groped with me through my difficult times, and blessed me with people who loved and cared for me. He is the same guy who unselfishly offered His life — body and blood — so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life in God’s Kingdom in heaven.
That, to me, is Jesus, my Lord and Savior. He continues to reveal Himself and His plans for me every single day, and I continue to be in awe of His faithfulness and glory. Eugene Cailao ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Who is Jesus Christ to you?

Help me to seek You, Lord. To get to know You more and glorify You is what I desire to do for the rest of my life.
---------

1st READING

While leadership is a great service to the work of the Gospel, we must be aware that as with any type of leadership there comes responsibility! Let us pray for all the Church leaders that they realize this truth and so perform their responsibilities with diligence and commitment. Let us also follow their lead in showing us the path to eternal life.

1 Peter 5:1-4
1 Beloved: I exhort the presbyters among you, as a fellow presbyter and witness to the sufferings of Christ and one who has a share in the glory to be revealed. 2 Tend the flock of God in your midst, overseeing not by constraint but willingly, as God would have it, not for shameful profit but eagerly. 3 Do not lord it over those assigned to you, but be examples to the flock. 4 And when the chief Shepherd is revealed, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.

P S A L M

Psalms 23:1-3, 4, 5, 6
R: The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 In verdant pastures he gives me repose; beside restful waters he leads me; 3 he refreshes my soul. (R) 4 Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage. (R) 5 You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. (R) 6 Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come. (R)

G O S P E L

Peter is given a role of primacy among the Apostles. This does not mean that he is more important than the rest, but it does mean that he has a role to play as a principle of unity for all. Let us pray today for unity among Christians so that the stumbling blocks to that unity will disappear by the hand of the Holy Spirit as He unites all Christians in one witness to the Gospel of salvation.

ALLELUIA
You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church; the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.

Matthew 16:13-19
13 When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. 18 And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

my reflections
t h i n k : L et us pray today for unity among Christians that the stumbling blocks to that unity will disappear by the hand of the Holy Spirit.

-----------

STRANGE CHAIR
Today’s liturgy is called the “Feast of the Chair of St. Peter.” The feast is as strange as the choice made on who first sat on that “chair.”
The first to sit on the chair that we honor today is Peter, an uneducated fisherman from Bethsaida. He was an unlikely choice for a president of a country or a chairman of the board for a global organization, but he was God’s choice to be the prince of the Apostles and the visible head of the Church. Such choice was easily evident to Jesus as He Himself said, “You are Peter and on this rock I will build my Church. And the gates of hell can never hold out against it….”
The chair of Peter is not Peter’s. It is God’s chair on which He made Peter sit, not bought by Peter for himself. Just as the choice of Peter was God’s, so does the chair we now remember is His.
The Chair of St. Peter symbolizes two of the tasks that Peter and his successors, the popes, have. The pope should be an effective agent towards dialogue and a tireless teacher of the truths of the Kingdom. Sitting on the Chair of St. Peter is to be the servant of all, a servant of dialogue, a servant of the Truth, a servant of the Lord. A priest from Bukidnon told me a funny story. When Gaudencio B. Cardinal Rosales became bishop of Malaybalay, Bukidnon, he tried
to speak some Cebuano to the local faithful during one of his first Masses. He said, “Ani-a ako aron maglingkod kaninyo.” For half a second there was silence in the cathedral; then, laughter accompanied by a warm round of applause. The good archbishop spoke in Cebuano but mixed it with the Tagalog word, maglingkod. Maglingkod in Cebuano means “to sit down.” Thus, when translated, his words literally meant, “I am here to sit down on you.” Certainly, it was not what he wanted to convey. But the good archbishop served the Diocese of Malaybalay well, even risking his life in the fight against illegal logging, not sitting down, but moving about and bending low on several instances as he dialogued and taught. Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question:
A chair is such a strange symbol of service. But perhaps not, if we think of service as the real meaning of being chosen by God to occupy His chair.

“Make me a servant, humble and meek. Lord, let me lift up those who are weak. And let the prayer of my heart always be ‘make me a servant today.’” Amen.

St. Raynerius, pray for us.

God will never leave you. This Wednesday is no different.

23 February
Wednesday

faith on the line

“For whoever is not against us is for us.” – Mark 9:40

Leo is a CEO during weekdays and a servant of God during weekends while his wife and daughter, both accomplished in their respective careers, contribute their time and talent in publishing the word of God. Their life as a family was blissful. Everything changed when, on his daughter’s birthday, he learned that she was diagnosed with lupus. His world collapsed. If that was not enough, a few months later, he was diagnosed with a heart condition that required an operation. “Why all these?” he questioned God.
On the day of his procedure, the medical equipment conked out. Irritated, he transferred to another hospital. In transit, he attended a weekend healing Mass.
At the new hospital, Leo waited with anxiety. Then, the miracle! The latest diagnostic test results showed that the blockage in his heart was clear and there was no need for a procedure. There were sceptics who believed it was just a mistake. For Leo, he believed that God had orchestrated everything and he felt ashamed that he put his faith on the line when faced with trials.
Leo continues to this day with his service of spreading God’s Word. Only this time, with greater fervor.Marie Franco ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Do I see the daily miracles in my life and spread the Good News?

Dear God, take away whatever muffles me in sharing my faith.

--------

1st READING

One of the most important aspects of wisdom is its lived witness. If a person has all the wisdom in his or her mind alone it is virtually useless as it is through the witness of his or her life that the wisdom of God will be made manifest. This is why it is important for us to understand our faith so that we can better live it and thus bear witness to the truth of the Gospel.

Sirach 4:11-19
11 Wisdom breathes life into her children and admonishes those who seek her. 12 He who loves her loves life; those who seek her out win her favor. 13 He who holds her fast inherits glory; wherever he dwells, the LORD bestows blessings. 14 Those who serve her serve the Holy One; those who love her the LORD loves. 15 He who obeys her judges nations; he who hearkens to her dwells in her inmost chambers. 16 If one trusts her, he will possess her; his descendants too will inherit her. 17 She walks with him as a stranger, and at first she puts him to the test; fear and dread she brings upon him and tries him with her discipline; with her precepts she puts him to the proof, until his heart is fully with her. 18 Then she comes back to bring him happiness and reveal her secrets to him. 19 But if he fails her, she will abandon him and deliver him into the hands of despoilers.

P S A L M

Psalms 119:165, 168, 171, 172, 174, 175
R: O Lord, great peace have they who love your law.
165 Those who love your law have great peace, and for them there is no stumbling block. (R) 168 I keep your precepts and your decrees, for all my ways are before you. (R) 171 My lips pour forth your praise, because you teach me your statutes. (R) 172 May my tongue sing of your promise, for all your commands are just. (R) 174 I long for your salvation, O LORD, and your law is my delight. (R) 175 Let my soul live to praise you, and may your ordinances help me. (R)

G O S P E L

It is not for us to judge the intentions of a person’s heart. This is for God alone. Yes, there are times when we have to restrain someone from doing something wrong (and hence make judgment of them) but our judgment here is primarily on their action and not their intention. Let us seek to act always with good intent and let us pray that our own intentions may be purified by the grace of God. In this way we will truly witness to the grace and truth of the Gospel.

ALLELUIA
I am the way and the truth and the life, says the Lord; no one comes to the Father except through me.

Mark 9:38-40
38 John said to Jesus, “Teacher, we saw someone driving out demons in your name, and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow us.” 39 Jesus replied, “Do not prevent him. There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name who can at the same time speak ill of me. 40 For whoever is not against us is for us.”

my reflections
t h i n k : It is important for us to understand our faith so that we can better live it and thus bear witness to the truth of the Gospel.

------

DON’T BE THREATENED

Sometimes we easily feel threatened by a new face. Or we tend to be exclusive no matter how we claim to be inclusive. We are oftentimes not better than the disciples who reported to Jesus that they stopped a man from casting out devils in Jesus’ name simply because he did not belong to their group. But Jesus was quick to point out to them: “Whoever who is not against us is for us.”
Jesus welcomes all who may contribute for the advancement of God’s Kingdom. The work of the Kingdom, not only the scope of the Kingdom, is vast. Let anyone who wishes to join the workforce join. Let no one among those who already belong to the workforce drive away any newcomer.
The feeling of being threatened by a new face is a real human experience. What do we do when we experience it in our Christian communities? Remember three important things.
First, the vineyard and the work are not ours. They belong to the Lord. Only He can say who is in and who is out. Whoever He welcomes, we must likewise welcome.
Second, we ourselves were once newcomers who hoped that we would be accepted by the old timers. Our coming might have threatened them, too, but we proved them wrong. We just wanted to serve in God’s Kingdom.
Third, if a newcomer indeed is a danger to the work of the Kingdom, God has ways to thwart whatever harm he might cause. If he is not God-sent, he will never last. But if he is, we will be refusing God Himself.
The community of disciples that Jesus envisions is not a clique; it’s never intended to be an exclusive group of snobbish, self-righteous followers of the Lord. The community of the Lord’s disciples welcomes all who desire to belong to it with the joy of the Lord Himself.
Is this your community?Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question:
Who threatens me? Why? Lord Jesus, You envision Your community as a community that welcomes all those who wish to belong to it.

Grant me the same joy You have for the new members of my community. As You rejoice over their growth and success in the work of the Kingdom, may I also rejoice and affirm them. Make me slow to criticize but quick to praise. Amen.

St. Zebinus, pray for us.

This Thursday, remember that He knows you and loves you.

24 February
Thursday

don’t delay

Delay not your conversion to the Lord, put it not off from day to day. – Sirach 5:8

For many years, I lived in a house where there was an abundant supply of food. Canisters of various kinds of snacks filled a food cart by the dining table. I recall seeing what seemed to be a perpetual supply of a certain brand of peanuts that I never even bothered to taste.
One day, long after I had moved out of that house, I tasted some peanuts that a friend was snacking on. I loved it! When I asked her where it came from, she showed me the wrapping. It was the same lowly peanut I had ignored that was in abundance in the very house where I used to live.
Oh, how I wished I had my fill of those nuts back then!
In a minuscule way, delaying our conversion to the Lord can be likened to my peanut story. Some people say they’ll turn to God when they’re much older, when they’re near their death. Others think that giving their lives to Jesus will be the end of their happy days. Others simply take their faith for granted. But they don’t know how much they’re missing out on!
Imagine all the graces, miracles and blessings you’ll be passing up? Why wait when you can have them all today?Rissa Singson- Kawpeng ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
What does the Lord want You to do? Do it now!

Jesus, I don’t want to take Your gifts and graces for granted. I receive them all today.

------------

1st READING

Money is the lubricant of the consumer society and unfortunately nearly everyone has fallen under its spell. This is a tragedy for faith as the consumer society is the ultimate example of ‘unfaith’ as it teaches us to trust in things rather than in God. Love of money is the greatest danger we face today as it is the root of most, if not all, the other major problems we face.

Sirach 5:1-8
1 Rely not on your wealth; say not: “I have the power.” 2 Rely not on your strength in following the desires of your heart. 3 Say not: “Who can prevail against me?” for the LORD will exact the punishment. 4 Say not: “I have sinned, yet what has befallen me?” for the LORD bides his time. 5 Of forgiveness be not overconfident, adding sin upon sin. 6 Say not: “Great is his mercy; my many sins he will forgive.” 7 For mercy and anger alike are with him; upon the wicked alights his wrath. 8 Delay not your conversion to the LORD, put it not off from day to day.

P S A L M

Psalms 1:1-2, 3, 4, 6
R: Blessed are they who hope in the Lord.
1 Blessed the man who follows not the counsel of the wicked nor walks in the way of sinners, nor sits in the company of the insolent, 2 but delights in the law of the LORD and meditates on his law day and night. (R) 3 He is like a tree planted near running water, that yields its fruit in due season, and whose leaves never fade. Whatever he does, prospers. (R) 4 Not so the wicked, not so; they are like chaff which the wind drives away. 6 For the LORD watches over the way of the just, but the way of the wicked vanishes. (R)

G O S P E L

We should not just avoid sin if we want to be holy – we must also make sure that we are not a stumbling block for others. That is, even if something we do is not technically sinful, it may be the cause of another person’s sin and thus we should avoid it as well! Being a disciple of Jesus means being concerned about others’ relationships with God as well as our own. In order to do this well, we need to allow our own minds and hearts to be constantly formed in the mind of God.

ALLELUIA
Receive the word of God, not as the word of men, but as it truly is, the word of God.

Mark 9:41-50

41 Jesus said to his disciples: “Anyone who gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ, amen, I say to you, will surely not lose his reward. 42 Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe [in me] to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were put around his neck and he were thrown into the sea. 43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut
it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed than with two hands to go into Gehenna, into the unquenchable fire. [44] 45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life crippled than with two feet to be thrown into Gehenna. [46] 47 And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. Better for you to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into Gehenna, 48 where ‘their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.’ 49 Everyone will be salted with fire. 50 Salt is good, but if salt becomes insipid, with what will you restore its flavor? Keep salt in yourselves and you will have peace with one another.”De

my reflections
think: We should not just avoid sin if we want to be holy – we must also make sure that we are not a stumbling block for others.

----------------

B. O. AND B. I.
B.O. means “bad (body) odor.” B.I. means “bad influence.” Besides being both bad, they both stink. No one wants to have B.O.; no one wants to be a B.I. But some have B.O. and others are B.I. Still others are B.I.’s with B.O.
A B.O. stinks and naturally keeps others at a considerable distance. But a B.I., while it also stinks, does not always repel others. However, in both cases, one who is a B.I. quite often is the last one to know that he is a B.I. just as one who has B.O. very frequently is the last one to be aware of how he smells. It is Christian charity to tell someone in a fraternal way if he has B.O. rather than make fun of him with others. But it is more Christian to call someone’s attention if he is a B.I. rather than tolerate him and be his passive accomplice. Failure to do the first is being impolite; failure to do the second is a sin of omission.
It is not desirable to either have B.O. or be a B.I. However, if we happen to have it or be one, it is better to have B.O. than be a B.I. Though we may smell like hell, having B.O. will not necessarily bring us to hell. But being a B.I., even if we smell more heavenly than heaven, is a sure passport to hell. The first, B.O., is a physical condition; the second, B.I., is a spiritual concern.
There is hope for both however. One who has B.O. can get rid of the B.O. he has. One who is a B.I. can cease being a B.I. for good. One who has B.O. should perhaps take a bath more often and avoid eating certain foods. One who is a B.I. should take more moments in honest self-introspection and consciously avoid occasions of his weaknesses. The first, B.O., is a matter of personal hygiene; the second, B.I., is a matter of moral well-being.
Who wants to have B.O. or be a B.I. anyway? Not us. I suppose, not anyone of us. But are we sure we do not stink? We may be the last one to know.Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question:
Do I stink — physically or morally?

Flood me, O Lord, with the scent of goodness that emanates from doing good. Never let me be the cause of anyone’s sin. Let me be the reason for everyone’s goodness. Let no one I come into contact with be less holy, less pure, less like You. Amen.

St. Primitiva, pray for us.

Peace at Home

"For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work." (James 3:16)

Dear Reader,

Have you ever noticed that the easiest place to remain self-centered is at home? There's an incentive to be lovely with others, but with your family you are tempted to allow yourself more selfish privileges as if it didn't count there.

Before I was a Christian, I was more courteous and nicer to friends than to my own family. I was more demanding and less forgiving with those dearest to me than with anyone else.

But after I made Jesus Lord of my life, I realized all that had to change.

Gloria and I began to learn through the Word how important harmony is within our family. We learned that if we wanted the power of agreemeent (see Matthews 18:19) to work in our lives, we could not allow strife in our home.

Strife drops the shield of faith, stops prayer results, and invites Satan and his cohorts into your midst. Discord is deadly. It paralyzes the power of God in your life.

Don't allow the enemy to stop at your own front door by allowing strife in your home. If you do, you'll be no threat to him anywhere else.

Put the power of harmony to work in your family.

Determine that.

Scripture Reading: Philippians 2:1-13
------
courtesy of Kenneth Copeland Ministries

Offer your hardships and trials to the Lord this Friday.

25 February
Friday

NO EXPIRY DATE

“For this reason a man must leave his father and mother and be united with his wife and the two shall become one flesh. ” – Mark 10:7-8

A husband was intently examining a piece of paper. His wife noticed him and asked, “What’s that?” He replied, “Our marriage contract. I’m having a difficult time looking for something,” as he continued his scrutiny. “What are you looking for?” she asked. The man answered, “The expiry date.”
Helpful truths for Married Couples:
1. They must detach from influences of their family of origin. “For this reason a man must leave his father and mother and be united with his wife....” Families of origin provide strong support yet being too clingy or dependent on them can cause marital strife.
2. They must be united in heart and spirit. “And the two shall become one flesh. So they are no longer two but one.” Marriage must put an end to selfishness and give way to cooperation and synergy.
3. They must understand that there is no expiry date to their marriage contract. “Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.” The most effective marriages are a “love triangle” between God, the husband and the wife.
These work well for me and my wife, Joie. Try them. Obet Cabrillas ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
“Is my married life (or for singles: the intent of having a married life) pleasing to the Lord? Next to your salvation is your choice of a spouse.” (Norman Wright)

Dear Lord, help me to be faithful to my marriage vows.

---------

1st READING

The Book of Proverbs reminds us that a true friend will be a friend forever. Here the author of Ecclesiasticus reminds us to make as many friends as we can because in them we will find a sure shelter in the midst of life’s storms. This is a very sound advice but it often goes unheeded in our very individualistic world. In a world where friends are measured by the number of contacts one has on Facebook or Twitter, it is wise to shut down these virtual connections and spend more time on real face-to-face sharing and relationships.

Sirach 6:5-17
5 A kind mouth multiplies friends and appeases enemies, and gracious lips prompt friendly greetings. 6 Let your acquaintances be many, but one in a thousand your confidant. 7 When you gain a friend, first test him, and be not too ready to trust him 8 For one sort of friend is a friend when it suits him, but he will not be with you in time of distress. 9 Another is a friend who becomes an enemy, and tells of the quarrel to your shame. 10 Another is a friend, a boon companion, who will not be with you when sorrow comes. 11 When things go well, he is your other self, and lords it over your servants; 12 but if you are brought low, he turns against you and avoids meeting you. 13 Keep away from your enemies; be on your guard with your friends. 14 A faithful friend is a sturdy shelter; he who finds one finds a treasure. 15 A faithful friend is beyond price, no sum can balance his worth. 16 A faithful friend is a life-saving remedy, such as he who fears God finds; 17 for he who fears God behaves accordingly, and his friend will be like himself.

P S A L M

Psalms 119:12, 16, 18, 27, 34, 35
R: Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
12 Blessed are you, O LORD; teach me your statutes. (R) 16 In your statutes I will delight; I will not forget your words. (R) 18 Open my eyes, that I may consider the wonders of your law. (R) 27 Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous deeds. (R) 34 Give me discernment, that I may observe your law and keep it with all my heart. (R) 35 Lead me in the path of your commands, for in it I delight. (R)

G O S P E L
Jesus answers the question about divorce by returning to the source of marriage, God’s intention when He created the relationship in the first instance. When we want to know how to use a new piece of technology we read the manufacturer’s instructions! I wonder why it is that so many people today refuse to consult God’s manual for life when asking the big questions that confront us? This reluctance is the main reason why there are so many broken marriages and relationships in our society. We need to return to the basics and follow the instructions
given to us by God.

ALLELUIA
Your word, O Lord, is truth; consecrate us in the truth.

Mark 10:1-12
1 Jesus came into the district of Judea and across the Jordan. Again crowds gathered around him and, as was his custom, he again taught them. 2 The Pharisees approached and asked, “Is it lawful for a husband to divorce his wife?” They were testing him. 3 He said to them in reply, “What did Moses command you?” 4 They replied, “Moses permitted him to write a bill of divorce and dismiss her.” 5 But Jesus told them, “Because of the hardness of your hearts he wrote you this commandment. 6 But from the beginning of creation, ‘God made them male and female. 7 For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother [and be joined to his wife], 8 and the two shall become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two but one flesh. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, no human being must separate.” 10 In the house the disciples again questioned him about this. 11 He said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her; 12 and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”

my reflections
t h i n k : It is wise to shut down our virtual connections and spend more time on real face-to-face sharing and relationships.

-----------

THE ORIGINAL PLAN
Today’s Gospel makes us face a burning issue: divorce. When divorce strikes, the tragedy is worse than a raging fire: entire households are ruined.
When God created man, what He had in mind and heart was not a single individual named Adam. Adam is not really a proper name of a person. It came from the Hebrew word adamah, meaning “from the earth.” Thus, it is more correct to say that Adam tells us how the first man was created: from the dust of the earth. What God had in mind and heart when He created the first man was humanity. Adam embodies the entire humanity. Thus, God gave man a particular mate: woman. Isha is the Hebrew word for woman, while man is ish. Isha came from ish. Later on, isha was called Eve which, in Hebrew, eva, literally means “mother of all the living.” In marriage, the two become one body. Marriage alone captures the original completion of the entire man in one body. This original vision of uniting and completing was what Jesus had in mind in the Gospel today.
When some Pharisees asked Jesus, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?” He did not ridicule the Law of Moses but explained that it was a compromise for human sinfulness. Just as a person’s body cannot be divided without killing the same person, so is the permanence of matrimonial bond. What God unites in marriage, man cannot and should not separate through divorce. Marriage is a lifetime covenant. Jesus wanted to protect women from becoming disposable possessions of men. The issue is not only about religion but very much about justice and human dignity, too.
The sacrament of matrimony is the marriage between three, not two, individuals: the man, the woman, and Christ Jesus who, in the midst of threats against family life, keeps on reminding and helping husband and wife to cling to God alone who, in the first place, created and made them one. Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question:
Is my view on marriage truly according to the teachings of the Catholic Church where I belong?

O God, author and origin of love, keep all spouses faithful to one another. Let generosity and respect reign in their marital love and may they serve as the best examples for their children on Christian discipleship. Amen.

St. Ananias II, pray for us.

This Saturday, follow the Spirit of God leading you.

26 February
Saturday

BECAUSE YOU LOVE ME

“Anyone who does not welcome the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” – Mark 10:15

My four-year-old son Lance is so hard to feed. My husband has tried bribes and threats to no avail. Yesterday, he changed tactics.
Lance woke up from a nap in an unfamiliar place. My husband said, “Lance, I’m going to give you away because you don’t eat. I’m going to leave you in this place and Mama and I will go home.” Lance gave a confident reply, “You won’t leave me,” and with a smile, added, “because you love me.”
What audacity! And yet I admired his confidence in his papa’s love and his presumption that he will always be wanted, no matter what his previous transgressions were.
I, too, have a long list of sins but I still believe that God will forgive and accept me back into His kingdom. This is not boasting or wishful thinking on my part. Rather, it’s because I see the evidence of His love so clearly that it leaves no room for any doubt that He will pardon my repentant heart.
Thank God I have the same audacity as Lance in trusting my Father! Yes, I am wanted. Forever, I am loved.Cecil Lim ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Jesus loves me, this I know. For the Bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong. They are weak but He is strong.

Thank You, Father, for Your steadfast love.

----------

1st READING

One of the key ways in which humanity reflects the image of God is in our capacity to choose well. We are the only moral beings in Creation. Our capacity to reflect upon the meaning of life is what sets us apart from the rest of the animal kingdom. Let us be sure to put this capacity to good use. Socrates reminds us that “the unreflected life is not worth living!” This is very true and yet it seems the majority of the world spends very little time reflecting upon the meaning of life.

Sirach 17:1-15
1 God from the earth created man, and in his own image he made him. 2 Limited days of life he gives him and makes him return to earth again. 3 He endows man with a strength of his own, and with power over all things else on earth. 4 He puts the fear of him in all flesh, and gives him rule over beasts and birds. 5 He forms men’s tongues and eyes and ears, and imparts to them an understanding heart. 6 With wisdom and knowledge he fills them; good and evil he shows them. 7 He looks with favor upon their hearts, and shows them his glorious works, 8 that they may describe the wonders of his deeds and praise his holy name. 9 He has set before them knowledge, a law of life as their inheritance; 10 an everlasting covenant he has made with them, his commandments he has revealed to them. 11 His majestic glory their eyes beheld, his glorious voice their ears heard. 12 He says to them, “Avoid all evil”; each of them he gives precepts about his fellow men. 13 Their ways are ever known to him, they cannot be hidden from his eyes. 14 Over every nation he places a ruler, but the LORD’s own portion is Israel. 15 All their actions are clear as the sun to him, his eyes are ever upon their ways.

P S A L M

Psalms 103:13-14, 15-16, 17-18
R: The Lord’s kindness is everlasting to those who fear him.
13 As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him, 14 for he knows how we are formed; he remembers that we are dust. (R) 15 Man’s days are like those of grass; like a flower of the field he blooms; 16 the wind sweeps over him and he is gone, and his place knows him no more. (R) 17 But the kindness of the LORD is from eternity to eternity toward those who fear him, and his justice toward children’s children 18 among those who keep his covenant. (R)

G O S P E L
Jesus welcomes everyone who wants to come to Him to enter His Kingdom. Here He reminds us that we need to develop a childlike attitude towards accepting the gifts that God has given us if we truly want to benefit from them. A child has little hesitation in learning how to use a new toy or gift – similarly we should try out the many spiritual gifts we have been given as sons and daughters of the Father.
Deuteronomy 19-22
ALLELUIA
Blessed are you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth; you have revealed to little ones the mysteries of the Kingdom.

Mark 10:13-16
13 People were bringing children to Jesus that he might touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw this he became indignant and said to them, “Let the children come to me; do not prevent them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 Amen, I say to you, whoever does not accept the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it.” 16 Then he embraced them and blessed them, placing his hands on them.

my reflections
think: We should try out the many spiritual gifts we have been given as sons and daughters of the Father.

--------

BE CHILDLIKE
Jesus says, “Amen, I say to you, whoever does not accept the Kingdom of God like a child will not enter it.” One day, a famous lawyer visited his former classmate who dropped out from law school and ended up in a farm. When he arrived, his classmate was out in the field, tilling the land. Upon seeing him, the lawyer loudly spoke, “Classmate, if only you finished law school just as I did, you would not have to work out here under the scorching heat of the sun. Look at me, I am always well groomed, my clothes are clean and I have my own car!” “My friend,” replied the farmer, “do you see those rice stalks? Think well, those stalks are standing straight because they have no grain, but the stalks heavy with grain cannot help but bend.”
I remember once, someone approached me and said, “Father, I have misgivings against you.” “Why?” I asked, for I sincerely did not know what I did to offend her. And she said, “You did not mention my name in the Mass when you thanked those who made the fiesta a success. I am one of the major sponsors, have you forgotten?” Honestly, I felt pity for her. It seems that many of us want to appear great in the eyes of other people. Thus, Jesus warns us that unless we become like little children, we cannot enter God’s Kingdom.
But why a child?
First, aside from being cute, a child is weak. A child becomes strong only when somebody helps him. This is precisely the point Jesus is making in the Gospel: We have nothing to boast — we are weak and sinful but loved by no less than God Himself.
Second, a child is truly disarming because he is simple and honest with himself. A child is not naturally judgmental. The same is true with God. He does not discriminate between saints and sinners, good and bad, rich and poor. Despite our sins, God still sees the goodness He has planted in our hearts.
Third, a child is a growing possibility. A child is a sign of hope. Only he whose hope never dies enters God’s Kingdom.
Let us be childlike, but never childish.Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question:
Am I childlike or childish?

Dear God, I am Your child. Let me always live as Your child. Increase my faith in Your Fatherly care. Never allow self-conceit to reign in me, but let me continue growing into what You intend me to become. I want to be home with You forever someday. Amen.

St. Nestor, pray for us.

Each Sunday is a Mini-Easter. Show that Jesus is alive today!

27 February
Sunday

Expecting the Sale

“Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you more important than they?” – Matthew 6:26

Rodel almost always closes a sale because of his unique selling style.
He asks, “How many pieces will you buy?” putting three items on the table. He is usually met with token resistance and ends up selling one or two pieces — but a sale nonetheless. He does not ask, “Do you want to buy?” Instead, he is confident that his prospect will buy every time.
Our attitude with God should be like Rodel’s. We should have expectant faith. Whatever the situation is, no matter how bleak the forecast may be, expect that God will take care of us. He only wills what is best for us.
And like Rodel, we can’t just sit and wait for God’s blessing to fall on our laps. We have to do our share of prayer and work. We call on God to provide for us, to grant our prayer, but we need to flex our muscles and give it our best.
“Nasa Diyos ang awa, nasa tao ang gawa.” Man proposes, God disposes. Jun Asis ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Do I spend more time worrying than trusting in God?

Lord, I place my whole trust in You and leave all my worries behind me. Amen.

----------

1st READING
There is absolutely no way that God is ever going to forget you. This is what Isaiah tells us in this prophecy. God’s care for us knows no bounds and we can be sure that the further we stray from Him, the more committed He will be to call us back into His presence. This is the true nature and meaning of love — it will never give up on another person no matter how badly he or she may disappoint us.

Isaiah 49:14-15
14 Zion said, “The LORD has forsaken me; my Lord has forgotten me.” 15 Can a mother forget her infant, be without tenderness for the child of her womb? Even should she forget, I will never forget you.

P S A L M

Psalms 62:2-3, 6-7, 8-9
R: Rest in God alone, my soul.
1 [2] Only in God is my soul at rest; from him comes my salvation. 2 [3] He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be disturbed at all. (R) 5 [6] Only in God be at rest, my soul, for from him comes my hope. 6 [7] He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be disturbed. (R) 7 [8] With God is my safety and my glory, he is the rock of my strength; my refuge is in God. 8 [9] Trust in him at all times, O my people! Pour out your hearts before him. (R)

2nd READING

We may think we can hide our faults from others but God will see them all the same! When we are struggling, the best way to defeat sin and temptation is to bring it out into the light and engage help from others in overcoming it. In this way the darkness that Satan needs to fool us with his lies is gone and the battle with sin half won. We need all the help we can get – even if it may be a little embarrassing to admit that this is true.

1Corinthians 4:1-5
1 Brothers and sisters: Thus should one regard us: as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2 Now it is of course required of stewards that they be found trustworthy. 3 It does not concern me in the least that I be judged by you or any human tribunal; I do not even pass judgment on myself; 4 I am not conscious of anything against me, but I do not thereby stand acquitted; the one who judges me is the Lord. 5 Therefore, do not make any judgment before the appointed time, until the Lord comes, for he will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will manifest the motives of our hearts, and then everyone will receive praise from God.

G O S P E L

I love this passage of Scripture as it brings the call of discipleship into its proper context, namely, taking each day with Jesus one at a time. Too often we fall into sin and discouragement because we try to solve next week’s problems today and, because these and other problems are still in the future, we usually do not have the mental and spiritual resources to combat them properly. Let us heed the advice of Jesus and worry today about the things of today and leave the future to look after itself.

ALLELUIA
The word of God is living and effective; discerning reflections and thoughts of the heart.

Matthew 6:24-34
24 Jesus said to his disciples: “No one can serve two masters. He will either hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. 25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you more important than they? 27 Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span? 28 Why are you anxious about clothes? Learn from the way the wild flowers grow. They do not work or spin. 29 But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was clothed like one of them. 30 If God so clothes the grass of the field, which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith? 31 So do not worry and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or ‘What are we to drink?’ or ‘What are we to wear?’ 32 All these things the pagans seek. Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom [of God] and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides. 34 Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for
a day is its own evil.
my reflections
t h i n k : This is the true nature and meaning of love — it will never give up on another person no matter how badly he or she may disappoint us.

-----------

DO NOT BE ANXIOUS

There are those who write about our time as the “Age of Anxiety.” They say that ours is an age marked by disquiet and misgiving. Our lives mirror the complex world we live in, and the more complicated our world becomes, the more insecure we feel about our future. The systems and structures we create and trust prove too weak under the weight of our hopes. Thus, three anxieties.
Social Anxiety. Is the world a safe place to live in? What will be the next epidemic? When will we have peace?
Religious Anxiety. Does God care at all? Why is there suffering in a world created by a loving God? Will the Church endure the scandals she faces?
Personal Anxiety. Is my life going down the drain? Will I lose my job? How about my family? Why am I lonely?
Jesus tells us, “I am telling you not to worry about your life and what you are to eat, or about your body and how you are to clothe it.”
But let’s be honest. His words do little to dispel our worries. Praying for our daily bread does not make food fall from heaven, does it?
Jesus does not say that being His disciple means living in a carefree, worry-free world. Jesus is against the kind of anxiety that consumes us and makes us believe that God does not care about us at all. As His disciples, Jesus invites us to see beyond our anxieties and look up to a God who cares for us. Easier said than done, yes. No one said it is easy to do anyway. Jesus does not tell us to ignore our worries. He advises us instead to place them within the framework of our childlike trust in God who is our Father.
Let us set our hearts on the Kingdom first and everything will fall into their proper places. We will view things from the perspective of the same Kingdom. No matter what happens, we will still be bigger than all our anxieties combined, because God is greater than our hearts. Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question:
What are my anxieties in life? Do I place them within the framework of my childlike trust in God my Father?

“Deliver us, Abba, from all evil,and make us grow in charity each day. In Your mercy, keep us free from sin and protect us from anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our Savior, Jesus the Christ. For the kingdom, and the power, and the glory are Yours now and forever. Amen.”

Blessed Mark Barkworth, pray for us.

Be God?s blessing to the world this Monday!

28 February
Monday

21st CENTURY MARTYRS

“For man it is impossible but not for God.”– Mark 10: 27

Evangelizing Muslims is an “impossible task” in the eyes of several Christians I’ve talked with. Statistics I’ve read show little effort to bring the Gospel to our Muslim brothers.
In my six years of active parish ministry, we have only one case of baptism of a Muslim convert.
“Is the spread of Islam unstoppable? Are Muslims unreachable?” So concludes the introduction of the book, A Friend of Ishmael. The book narrates the episodes of Christians who had the passion to introduce Jesus Christ to our Muslim brothers. They are modern-day saints and martyrs who “dared to take the Gospel of Jesus Christ into the heart of radical Muslim” in Afghanistan, Iraq, Cyprus, Sudan and the Philippines.
Many of them suffered imprisonment and died as martyrs. But they succeeded in bringing the love of Jesus to them and organizing Christian churches among Muslims.
What seems impossible is not impossible after all! Not by men but through His Spirit!Cristy Galang ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
How much passion do I have in bringing Jesus to others? Do I shy away from evangelizing them?

Free me, Lord, from a lukewarm spirit. Mold me and use me to bring Your love to others especially to those whom I tend to think are impossible to minister to. Amen.

-----------

1st READING
Repentance is one of the doors through which we have to pass if we want to receive the fullness of God’s grace. In this case, there is no ‘shortcut’ or path by which we can avoid confronting our sins if we truly want to grow in discipleship. In fact, the further we go along this walk, the more we will be acutely aware of our need for the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Sirach 17:19-27
19 To the penitent he provides a way back, he encourages those who are losing hope! 20 Return to the LORD and give up sin, pray to him and make your offenses few. 21 Turn again to the Most High and away from sin, hate intensely what he loathes; 22 who in the nether world can glorify the Most High in place of the living who offer their praise? 23 No more can the dead give praise than those who have never lived; they glorify the LORD who are alive and well. 24 How great the mercy of the LORD, his forgiveness of those who return to him! 25 The like cannot be found in men, for not immortal is any son of man. 26 Is anything brighter than the sun? Yet it can be eclipsed. How obscure then the thoughts of flesh and blood! 27 God watches over the hosts of highest heaven, while all men are dust and ashes.

P S A L M

Psalms 32:1-2, 5, 6, 7
R: Let the just exult and rejoice in the Lord.
1 Blessed is he whose fault is taken away, whose sin is covered. 2 Blessed the man to whom the LORD imputes not guilt, in whose spirit there is no guile. (R) 5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you, my guilt I covered not. I said, “I confess my faults to the LORD,” and you took away the guilt of my sin. (R) 6 For this shall every faithful man pray to you in time of stress. Though deep waters overflow, they shall not reach him. (R) 7 You are my shelter; from distress you will preserve me; with glad cries of freedom you will ring me round. (R)

G O S P E L

Riches and wealth are more often than not a distraction to the spiritual life. As long as we have the basics in life, that ought to be enough for us. If we begin to enter the consumerist mindset that drives so much of the world today, we will quickly discover how it can consume us and draw us into its sticky web where escape is impossible or very difficult and dangerous.

ALLELUIA
Jesus Christ became poor although he was rich, so that by his poverty you might become rich.

Mark 10:17-27
17 As Jesus was setting out on a journey, a man ran up, knelt down before him, and asked him, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 18 Jesus answered him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘You shall not kill; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness; you shall not defraud; honor your father and your mother.’ ” 20 He replied and said to him, “Teacher, all of these I have observed from my youth.” 21 Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said to him, “You are lacking in one thing. Go, sell what you have, and give to [the] poor and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” 22 At that statement his face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions. 23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!” 24 The disciples were amazed at his words. So Jesus again said to them in reply, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” 26 They were exceedingly astonished and said among themselves, “Then who can be saved?” 27 Jesus looked at them and said, “For human beings it is impossible, but not for God. All things are possible for God.”

my reflections
think: Repentance is one of the doors through which we have to pass if we want to receive the fullness of God’s grace.

----------
A PAUPER AFTER ALL

Kneeling before Jesus, the rich, young man is apparently at the crossroad of life. He already has everything. Besides his wealth, he has three other special possessions: good breeding, good character and religious conviction.
No wonder, Jesus looks at this man with love. Clearly, this is a good candidate for a discple. Thus, Jesus challenges him, “There is one thing more you must do. Go, sell everything that you have, and give the money to the poor.” A very difficult demand. To sell your properties is already difficult; what more to give the proceeds of the sale to those who are not related to you at all? It is perhaps easier if you are to give them to your relatives or friends. But, no, the poor should be the ones to benefit from your hard-earned wealth. The disciples of Jesus should invest in heavenly treasure. This is their new security. But for that rich, young man, it is not enough. Just as he falls on his knees before Jesus, his face falls as he walks away from Jesus. He says nothing. And nothing is heard about him again.
The sad turning away of this rich, young man is one of the moving scenes in the Gospel. The things he thinks he possesses actually possess him instead. He loves his treasures so much that he could not love Jesus as his only Treasure. Thus, when he leaves, Jesus turns to His disciples and says that it is indeed very hard for the rich to enter heaven.
Jesus does not say that heaven is for the poor only. What He says is that it is difficult for the rich to enter heaven. The rich should recognize that while there is so much good that riches can do, riches can also hinder salvation. If that is the case, then who can be saved? No one. No one can save himself. Salvation is a gift that God alone can give.
The rich, young man leaves Jesus and goes back to his wealth; he misses the blessing not only of a new life but also of the wealth of a family whose bond is defined not by blood or by law but by filial obedience to God. Come to think of it, the prince is a pauper after all.Fr. Bobby Titco

Reflection Question:
Do I possess my wealth or am I possessed by it?

Save me, O Jesus, from my own wealth when it begins to enslave me. But bless me with wealth so I may be able to serve others not only more but better. You are my only Treasure now and forever. Amen.

St. Hedwig, Blessed, pray for us.

God has a great plan for your life?including this Tuesday.

1 March
Tuesday

PLANT IN THE SPRING

Give to the Most High as he has given to you, generously, according to your means. – Sirach 35:9

When I watched the replay of Manny Pacquiao’s victory over Ricky Hatton, I recalled the great quote by Jim Rohn. He said, “You must be good in either two things: planting in the spring or begging in the fall.”
From Monday to Saturday, Manny starts training from 5:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Manny is a winner because “he plants during spring.”
I am not Manny, but the stage is my ring. When it comes to my talks for The Feast, I “overtrain.” I read a ton of books just to give one single talk. For many days, I’d labor over it, crafting my message, selecting the right stories, choosing and re-choosing the right adjectives and adverbs, rehearsing my entire talk over and over again — until I can give my talk in my sleep.
Why do I “overtrain” in my talk preparation?
Because I love my audience.
Because they deserve the best.
Because I can’t give nothing than my best to God, the One who anointed me with the gift to preach.Bo Sanchez ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
What’s your boxing ring? How can you overtrain to win for God?

Dearest Father, may I be like Your Son, Jesus, who gave nothing but the best for You in His life.

--------

1st READING

It is important to remember that it is not only what we do but the intention we have when we do things that is important. There is no merit in doing something good for the wrong or even an evil intention! Today’s reading reminds us of the importance of living a virtuous life such that what we do and say and the intention behind our actions are all good and holy.

Sirach 35:1-12
1 To keep the law is a great oblation, and he who observes the commandments sacrifices a peace offering. 2 In works of charity one offers fine flour, and when he gives alms he presents his sacrifice of praise. 3 To refrain from evil pleases the LORD, and to avoid injustice is an atonement. 4 Appear not before the LORD empty-handed, for all that you offer is in fulfillment of the precepts. 5 The just man’s offering enriches the altar and rises as a sweet odor before the Most High. 6 The just man’s sacrifice is most pleasing, nor will it ever be forgotten. 7 In generous spirit pay homage to the LORD, be not sparing of freewill gifts. 8 With each contribution show a cheerful countenance, and pay your tithes in a spirit of joy. 9 Give to the Most High as he has given to you, generously, according to your means. 10 For the LORD is one who always repays, and he will give back to you sevenfold. 11 But offer no bribes, these he does not accept! Trust not in sacrifice of the fruits of extortion, 12 for he is a God of justice, who knows no favorites.

P S A L M

Psalms 50:5-6, 7-8, 14, 23
R: To the upright I will show the saving power of God.
5 “Gather my faithful ones before me, those who have made a covenant with me by sacrifice.” 6 And for the heavens proclaim his justice; for God himself is the judge. (R) 7 “Hear, my people, and I will speak; Israel, I will testify against you; God, your God, am I. 8 Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you, for your burnt offering are before me always. (R) 14 “Offer to God praise as your sacrifice and fulfill your vows to the Most High. 23 He that offers praise as a sacrifice glorifies me; and to him that goes the right way I will show the salvation of God.” (R)

G O S P E L

There is a bit of the mercenary in all of us, wondering what we are going to get out of whatever it is we are doing. Here it is good for us to learn to do things for the sake of others. Eventually we will discover that such actions rebound to us and turn out to be good for us as well. his is how virtue and goodness work – they attract one another and multiply among themselves. So, as long as we are committed to doing good, we will find that the balance of things that happen to us are also good.

ALLELUIA
Blessed are you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth; you have revealed to little ones the mysteries of the Kingdom.

Mark 10:28-31
28 Peter began to say to Jesus, “We have given up everything and followed you.” 29 Jesus said, “Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and for the sake of the Gospel 30 who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age: houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and eternal life in the age to come. 31 But many that are first will be last, and the last will be first.”

my reflections
think: It is important to remember that it is not only what we do but the intention we have when we do things that is important.

-----------

SACRIFICES IN THE KINGDOM OF GOD
It seems that a sacrifice is not really much of a sacrifice when it has to do with the Kingdom of God. Anyone who gives up something — be it houses, parents, siblings, etc. — will be repaid a hundred times over in the world to come. How can we
call this a sacrifice when a person gets back a hundredfold of what they give up? The answer is quite simple. The guarantee of a reward is not necessarily going to be received in one’s earthly life. The reward is really a heavenly reality. The sacrifice involved affects our earthly pilgrimage.
There is probably a bit of showmanship to Jesus’ promise as well. The meaning of a hundredfold is not meant to be taken literally, but indicate that the reward is beyond anything we think we might deserve. I find it difficult to believe that there is a list of all the sacrifices everyone has made and that we can literally expect a hundredfold when we go to heaven. Who wants a hundred parents anyway – one pair is quite sufficient.
The very gift of eternal life is surely what Jesus is referring to in this text and others similar to it. Yes, some people take them literally when making cash donations and from all reports receive much more in return and in this life as well. This does not mean that God becomes like some sort of automatic dispensing machine that when you put in one gold coin you get one hundred back. Jesus is speaking within the context of what it means to be a faithful disciple and to leave all to follow Him. Jesus basically tells Peter that all who faithfully follow Him will not be left bereft of blessings, both in this life and the next.
God is faithful to His promises — we need not worry about being left abandoned. In fact, our reward or blessing for faithfulness is going to far exceed anything we have ever dreamed about or placed our hopes in.Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Am I willing to sacrifice my plans for the sake of the Kingdom of God? To what degree am I willing to give up all and follow Jesus wherever He leads me?

Jesus, keep my eyes fixed on You and Your will for my life. Help me to follow it as closely as possible so that all I do will be pleasing to You.

St. Leo Luke, pray for us.

God will never leave you. This Wednesday is no different.

2 March
Wednesday

Servant Leader

“But it shall not be so among you. Rather, whoever wishes to be great among you will be your servant; whoever wishes to be first among you will be the slave of all.”– Mark 10: 43-44

Have you ever heard of a president of a company going down on his knees in order to shine the shoes of his employees?
This is a president of a company that generates millions of dollars and enjoys steady increases in their annual sales since it opened more than 60 years ago, operates more than 1,400 outlets and employs more than 50,000 people.
The president engages in such a powerful form of gesture to inspire his people in providing a genuine sense of customer service.
I always thought that being on top meant telling people what to do, when to do it and how to do it. But Christ showed me a different path to greatness — to be a source of blessing to every person and situation that life gives me.Orange Garcia ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
How do you intend to bless the people that you come in contact with today?

Lord, I pray for a heart filled with genuine service so that they may see You in me.

------------

1st READING

Trust is important in discipleship. Without entrusting our lives to the goodness and love of God it is impossible for us to be His disciple and to grow in holiness. The Jews cry out to God to look after them and assure that their interests are not neglected on the world stage. We, too, need to learn to entrust our needs to the Lord and so give Him the opportunity to demonstrate His eternal faithfulness to us.

Sirach 36:1, 4-5, 10-17
1 Come to our aid, O God of the universe, and put all the nations in dread of you! 4 Thus they will know, as we know, that there is no God but you. 5 Give new signs and work new wonders. 10 Gather all the tribes of Jacob, that they may inherit the land as of old, 11 show mercy to the people called by your name; Israel, whom you named your first-born. 12 Take pity on your holy city, Jerusalem, your dwelling place. 13 Fill Zion with your majesty, your temple with your glory. 14 Give evidence of your deeds of old; fulfill the prophecies spoken in your name, 15 reward those who have hoped in you, and let your prophets be proved true. 16 Hear the prayer of your servants, for you are ever gracious to your people; 17 thus it will be known to the very ends of the earth that you are the eternal God.

P S A L M

Psalms 79:8, 9, 11, 13
R: Show us, O Lord, the light of your kindness.
8 Remember not against us the iniquities of the past; may your compassion quickly come to us, for we are brought very low. (R) 9 Help us, O God our savior, because of the glory of your name; deliver us and pardon our sins for your name’s sake. (R) 11 Let the prisoners’ sighing come before you; with your great power free those doomed to death. 13 Then we, your people and the sheep of your pasture, will give thanks to you forever; through all generations we will declare your praise. (R)

G O S P E L

Self-promotion may be an important means of moving ahead in the world but it is anathema in the Kingdom of God. The heart of the life of a disciple of Jesus is humility. Until we are able to lose our self-interest, it is not possible to progress in holiness. It is no mistake that this teaching of Jesus immediately follows one of the predictions of His Passion. It is in His Passion that we see the depth of the humility of Jesus, His willingness to embrace even death on a cross, and thus we learn humility’s central role in the life of discipleship and obedience to the will of God.

ALLELUIA
The Son of Man came to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.

Mark 10:32-45
32 The disciples were on the way, going up to Jerusalem, and Jesus went ahead of them. They were amazed, and those who followed were afraid. Taking the Twelve aside again, he began to tell them what was going to happen to him. 33 “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests and the scribes, and they will condemn him to death and hand him over to the Gentiles 34 who will mock him, spit upon him, scourge him, and put him to death, but after three days he will rise.” 35 Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him and said to him, “Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you.” 36 He replied, “What do you wish me to do for you?” 37 They answered him, “Grant that in your glory we may sit one at your right and the other at your left.” 38 Jesus said to them, “You do not know what you are asking. Can you drink the cup that I drink or be baptized with the baptism with which I am
baptized?” 39 They said to him, “We can.” Jesus said to them, “The cup that I drink, you will drink, and with the baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized; 40 but to sit at my right or at my left is not mine to give but is for those for whom it has been prepared.” 41 When the ten heard this, they became indignant at James and John. 42 Jesus summoned them and said to them, “You know that those who are recognized as rulers over the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones make their authority over them felt. 43 But it shall not be so among you. Rather, whoever wishes to be great among you will be your servant; 44 whoever wishes to be first among you will be the slave of all. 45 For the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

my reflections
t h i n k : W e need to learn to entrust our needs to the Lord and so give Him the opportunity to demonstrate His eternal faithfulness to us.

----------

THE DESIRE FOR ETERNAL LIFE

We see in the desire of James and John something unbecoming of a true disciple. A disciple’s reward is doing what his Master tells him to do, not seeking to gain favors from him. It is no wonder that the other disciples become incensed when they find out about the request of James and John. However, Jesus, in His infinite wisdom, is able to defuse the situation by refusing to entertain the brothers’ request and secondly by using the incident and response of the others as the basis for a teaching.
Jesus assures them all that anyone who desires to be first must willingly place oneself last. What does this mean? The desire for honors is the desire for leadership and attention. Jesus tells the disciples that leadership comes with a cost, one that is probably initially surprising to the group. Leadership is all about service. The disciples will come to understand this much better after the death and resurrection of Jesus.
Jesus’ response to James and John is to question their willingness to serve and thus lay down their lives. If I were one of the brothers, I think I would be fairly ashamed about what I had done at this point. By expressing their desire for favors the brothers are ultimately saying that they deserve better than the rest, perhaps even setting themselves up over the others in their own eyes. Jesus does not follow their line of reasoning and comes back to the crucial question: It is not at all a matter of what someone deserves (because we all deserve to be judged and condemned for our sins), but how fully a person is willing to serve his brother or sister. This is what the Kingdom of God is all about, laying down one’s life in the service of the people of God. James will do this in the ultimate manner when he is martyred for the sake of the Gospel.
As we seek to find our own places within the plan of God for everything, we can be pretty sure that it will contain some very difficult sacrifices.Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
How serious am I in trying to discover God’s will for my life? Do I try hard enough to achieve this goal?

Jesus, You have revealed to us the love of God, our Father. Help us to always put first His plan for the salvation of all.

Sts. Jovinus & Basileus, pray for us.

Be blessed by His Creative Word this Thursday!

3 March
Thursday

BEG GOD!

Bartimaeus, a blind man, the son of Timaeus, sat by the roadside begging. – Mark 10:46

I have never yet sat in a corner to beg for alms. But I remember one time in college or high school — I’m not sure when and why — I went to a parish rectory and asked for transportation money. That was embarrassing enough for me.
The term “beg” implies desperation and recklessness, as though you’re caught in a corner and you have no choice but to ask without shame. There’s another angle to the word though, and I think it’s the hope and faith that you have when you beg. I wouldn’t have chosen to go to a parish rectory if I had not thought they were not more open to giving than if I just asked someone on the street.
Many spiritual writers say begging is one of the best postures to take when we come before the Lord. We must not forget that when we beg the Lord, He always wants to restore us to dignity, unlike how the world operates.
So in prayer, let us be beggars — coming before a kindly and generous King and Father. Joy Sosoban ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Are you afraid to come before God and to beg Him in prayer?

Thank You, Lord, that You are always there waiting for me.
-------

1st READING

One of the reasons we struggle to recognize the work of God in our lives is that we have unconsciously allowed ourselves to believe the lies of the world that God does not really care about us as individuals. So we choose not to take the risk of looking for His presence in our lives in order not to be disappointed if we find nothing! This is great pity as more often than not His presence is not that diffficult to recognize, but we will never see it unless we take the step of looking for it!

Sirach 42:15-25
15 Now will I recall God’s works; what I have seen, I will describe. At God’s word were his works brought into being; they do his will as he has ordained for them. 16 As the rising sun is clear to all, so the glory of the LORD fills all his works; 17 yet even God’s holy ones must fail in recounting the wonders of the LORD, though God has given these, his hosts, the strength to stand firm before his glory. 18 He plumbs the depths and penetrates the heart; their innermost being he understands. The Most High possesses all knowledge, and sees from of old the things that are to come: 19 he makes known the past and the future, and reveals the deepest secrets. 20 No understanding does he lack; no single thing escapes him. 21 Perennial is his almighty wisdom; he is from all eternity one and the same, 22 with nothing added, nothing taken away; no need of a counselor for him! 23 How beautiful are all his works! Even to the spark and the fleeting vision! 24 The universe lives and abides forever; to meet each need, each creature is preserved. 25 All of them differ, one from another, yet none of them has he made in vain, for each in turn, as it comes, is good; can one ever see enough of their splendor?

P S A L M

Psalms 33:2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9
R: By the word of the Lord the heavens were made.
2 Give thanks to the LORD on the harp; with the ten-stringed lyre chant his praises. 3 Sing to him a new song; pluck the strings skillfully, with shouts of gladness. (R) 4 For upright is the word of the LORD, and all his works are trustworthy. 5 He loves justice and right; of the kindness of the LORD the earth is full. (R) 6 By the word of the LORD the heavens were made; by the breath of his mouth all their host. 7 He gathers the waters of the sea as in a flask; in cellars he confines the deep. (R) 8 Let all the earth fear the LORD; let all who dwell in the world revere him. 9 For he spoke, and it was made; he commanded, and it stood forth. (R)

G O S P E L

The blind man asks to be healed of his blindness but Jesus does not explicitly do this. The text tells us that Jesus ‘saves’ the man through his faith. What does this teach us? I think Mark is trying to remind us of a couple of things: one that our salvation of the forgiveness of our sins is the most important healing we will receive; and secondly, faith is central to all healing.
Joshua 5-8
ALLELUIA
I am the light of the world, says the Lord; whoever follows me will have the light of life.

Mark 10:46-52
46 As Jesus was leaving Jericho with his disciples and a sizable crowd, Bartimaeus, a blind man, the son of Timaeus, sat by the roadside begging. 47 On hearing that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, “Jesus, son of David, have pity on me.” 48 And many rebuked him, telling him to be silent. But he kept calling out all the more, “Son of David, have pity on me.” 49 Jesus stopped and said, “Call him.” So they called the blind man, saying to him, “Take courage; get up, he is calling you.” 50 He threw aside his cloak, sprang up, and came to Jesus. 51 Jesus said to him in reply, “What do you want me to do for you?” The blind man replied to him, “Master, I want to see.” 52 Jesus told him, “Go your way; your faith has saved you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed him on the way.

my reflections
think: Faith is central to all healing.

-----------

WHO HAS ULTIMATE CONTROL?
This book of the Bible, part of the wisdom literature of the Old Testament, begins today’s section with something like a hymn in praise of the Creator. We are told that all creation obeys the will of God. What on earth, or anywhere in the universe for that matter, does this really mean? I think there is a simple answer to that question that involves our understanding that as the Creator, God has placed an inner logic or law within it that governs the way the world and the universe work. This needs to be understood in both a simple and more complex way. Simply speaking, God has created the world and within His creation there is a natural law that governs the behavior of the creation. In other words, the scientific world can seek to discover the various laws of the universe through its disciplines and thus help us to understand better the way things work and hopefully suggest ways and means for humanity to improve the world’s living situation.
The more complex or subtle understanding is expressed by St. Augustine at the start of his autobiography, Confessions (1:1). Here he tells us that God has created us for himself and we will be forever restless until we rest in him. Augustine recognizes that there is a fundamental truth to the fact that human fulfillment (indeed all fulfillment) is all about being in relationship with God according to His plans for our lives. The difficult aspect of this is having to let go of our human capacity to achieve things and recognize that the most important aspect of our life — fulfillment — rests in the hands of God. This makes a lot of sense since God has created us in the first place. But this does not mean people will readily accept this reality. The world is full of people seeking inspiration and fulfillment in all the wrong places. Let us pray that we will never be numbered among them.Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
How much time and effort do I spend following my own path in seeking human fulfillment? Is it worth it?

Jesus, I need You to show me the path that leads to fulfillment in my life. Help me to discern Your plan for my life. Please grant me the grace to follow the true path once I discover it.

Blessed Mary Angela Truszkowska, pray for us.

welcome xtn 311. God bless us all always

May others see Jesus in you this Friday.

4 March
Friday

Power of Faith

“For this reason I tell you, when you pray and ask for something, believe that you have received it, and you will be given whatever you ask for.” – Mark 11:24

I had to attend a court hearing not only to comply with the rule of court, but to prove myself unworthy of a certain accusation. On the eve of the court battle I had only one prayer, “Lord, You are my lawyer and You are the greatest judge of them all. I am lifting up everything to You and claiming Your victory over it. Thy will be done, Lord.”
The following day I attended without a lawyer to defend myself because I believe that I have a big God beside me and I brought truth in my heart.
The judge listened intently to my case, then later assigned a PAO (public attorneys office) lawyer to defend me. As the case progressed with the help of my amazing lawyer, I became certain of something. “This will be over soon, Lord.”
A few months later, I received a surprise gift. The case was dismissed; I was vindicated. Praise God.Rev Martin-Bijasa ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Whatever you ask for in prayer, Jesus invites us to ask with faith until God assures us that our prayer has been heard.

Lord, I thank You for all the victorious battles I have fought in life. Every victory is a proclamation of the faith I have in You. Amen

-------

1st READING

No matter how grand the structures we build in this life may be, they will eventually crumble and fall. It is the achievements of faith that will endure forever. Just think of the lives of the saints – we continue to celebrate them hundreds and even thousands of years later! Let us seek to grow as men and women of faith so that the heritage we leave for those who follow us will endure forever.

Sirach 44:1, 9-13
1 Now will I praise those godly men, our ancestors, each in his own time. 9 But of others there is no memory, for when they ceased, they ceased. And they are as though they had not lived, they and their children after them. 10 Yet these also were godly men whose virtues have not been forgotten; 11 their wealth remains in their families, their heritage with their descendants; 12 through God’s covenant with them their family endures, their posterity, for their sake. 13 And for all time their progeny will endure, their glory will never be blotted out.

P S A L M

Psalms 149:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 9
R: The Lord takes delight in his people.
1 Sing to the LORD a new song of praise in the assembly of the faithful. 2 Let Israel be glad in their maker, let the children of Zion rejoice in their king. (R) 3 Let them praise his name in the festive dance, let them sing praise to him with timbrel and harp. 4 For the LORD loves his people, and he adorns the lowly with victory. (R) 5 Let the faithful exult in glory; let them sing for joy upon their couches; 6 let the high praises of God be in their throats. 9 This is the glory of all his faithful. Alleluia. (R)

G O S P E L

The spiritual fruit that each of us bears will depend upon the graces God gives us. Another person’s life will never be the ultimate measure for our own as we are all different. This also means that it is up to us as individuals, with the assistance of others from time to time, to respond to the grace of God as it seeks to bear fruit within us. There is no escaping the fact that this choice is one that only the individual can make!

ALLELUIA
I chose you from the world, to go and bear fruit that will last, says the Lord.

Mark 11:11-26
11 Jesus entered Jerusalem and went into the temple area. He looked around at everything and, since it was already late, went out to Bethany with the Twelve. 12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany he was hungry. Seeing from a distance a fig tree in leaf, he went over to see if he could find anything on it. When he reached it he found nothing but leaves; it was not the time for figs. 14 And he said to it in reply, “May no one ever eat of your fruit again!” And his disciples heard it. 15 They came to Jerusalem, and on entering the temple area he began to drive out those selling and buying there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves. 16 He did not permit anyone to carry anything through the temple area. 17 Then he taught them saying, “Is it not written: ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples’? But you have made it a den of thieves.” 18 The chief priests and the scribes came to hear of it and were seeking a way to put him to death, yet they feared him because the whole crowd was astonished at his teaching. 19 When evening came, they went out of the city. 20 Early in the morning, as they were walking along, they saw the fig tree withered to its roots. 21 Peter remembered and said to him, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree that you cursed has withered.” 22 Jesus said to them in reply, “Have faith in God. 23 Amen, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it shall be done for him. 24 Therefore I tell you, all that you ask for in prayer, believe that you will receive it and it shall be yours. 25 When you stand to pray, forgive anyone against whom you have a grievance, so that your heavenly Father may in turn forgive you your transgressions.”

my reflections
t h i n k : It is up to us as individuals, with the assistance of others from time to time, to respond to the grace of God as it seeks to bear fruit within us.

---------

FOR THE SAKE OF POSTERITY
There are only two ways that a person can leave his or her mark in the world: for good or for bad. In both cases, a person will be remembered for what he has done. Most people, deep down in the recesses of their being, desire to leave a mark in the world so that succeeding generations will not forget them.
Today’s first reading implies that this will be the case for most of us. However, there are some who succeed in doing something that will cause them to be remembered by future generations.
Hitler and so many others will be remembered for generations because of the evil they committed. Let us seek to do good and be remembered for that. Ultimately it is not important if the world does not acknowledge the good we do because it is what God sees in our lives that is important. He sees everything, even that which we do in secret. It would be nice to be remembered for our good deeds, but that is not essential. Knowing that God is aware of what we are doing ought to be enough acknowledgment for us.
One of the implicit dynamics of doing good is that it tends to foster more good. That is, when we make the sacrifice to live a holy and righteous life, we will inspire others to do the same. This is not just a side benefit of good deeds; it is inherent in their nature. This is how a culture of goodness is developed. It becomes a power to be reckoned with in the midst of all the other cultures around us. As Christians, we ought to develop a counterculture of Christian values in the midst of the world. This means not just assuming the values of the cultural milieu around us but discerning what is Christian within it and accepting it and rejecting the values that are opposed to the Gospel. This requires constant and diligent work and attention – implying that becoming a saint will not be an easy task. No, it’s not, but the rewards and potential influence of a saint’s life are certainly worth the effort of gaining it. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Have I ever considered how strongly I am influenced by the society in which I live, the friends I spend time with, etc.? I wonder if all of these influences are doing me good?

Jesus, help me to discern the values of my society that are worth promoting and teach me how to correct those that are not aligned with the Gospel.

St. Owen, pray for us.

This Saturday, follow the Spirit of God leading you.

5 March
Saturday

MY IRAQ EXPERIENCE

He saved me from evil of every kind and preserved me in time of trouble. – Sirach 51 : 12

I volunteered for assignment to Baghdad, Iraq in 2001. Some of my colleagues in the Department of Foreign Affairs asked me if I knew what I was doing. Yes, I said that I wanted to go back to the basics of our faith.
The biblical rivers in Genesis 2, the Tigris and Euphrates, are in Iraq. Supposedly, the Garden of Eden is also believed to be in Basrah, south of Iraq. Some 100 kilometers away from there is Ur, the birthplace of “Papa” Abraham.
One hour away from the capital city is Babylon, where the Israelites were exiled. Present-day Mosul, north of Baghdad, was the capital of Jonah’s Nineveh.
Since I tried to seek Him first by trying to understand more of our faith beginnings (Matthew 6:33), He protected me from the possible troubles of my foreign assignment there. As the only lady Charge d’Affaires before and after the 2003 US-led invasion of Iraq, He spared my family and other loved ones from the dangers of evacuating and trying to protect the Filipinos there. Grace Princesa ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
God carries us in some of the most difficult, challenging and dangerous moments of our lives.

Dear Lord, indeed, Your promises are true. If I only seek You first in my life, everything else will be given unto me. Safety from harm and some bonuses, too.

------------

1st READING

The wisdom of God is always attached to truth and holiness. In fact, I do not believe it can be separated from these two aspects of the spiritual life. Until we are willing to embrace the truth and surrender ourselves to the call of holiness, the fullness of the wisdom of God will remain an elusive concept that we chase from left to right and back again! To be a disciple of Jesus means forsaking the ways and glamor of the world and embracing the truth as God delivers it to us in the moral law. The world is not willing to accept this sort of truth – I hope and pray you are ready to accept it.

Sirach 51:12-20
12 I thank him and I praise him; I bless the name of the LORD. 13 When I was young and innocent, I sought wisdom. 14 She came to me in her beauty, and until the end I will cultivate her. 15 As the blossoms yielded to ripening grapes, the heart’s joy, my feet kept to the level path because from earliest youth I was familiar with her. 16 In the short time I paid heed, I met with great instruction. 17 Since in this way I have profited, I will give my teacher grateful praise. 18 I became resolutely devoted to her — the good I persistently strove for. 19 I burned with desire for her, never turning back. I became preoccupied with her, never weary of extolling her. My hand opened her gate and I came to know her secrets. 20 For her I purified my hands; in cleanness I attained to her. At first acquaintance with her, I gained understanding such that I will
never forsake her.

P S A L M

Psalms 19:8, 9, 10, 11
R: The precepts of the Lord give joy to the heart.
7 [8] The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul; the decree of the LORD is trustworthy, giving wisdom to the simple. (R) 8 [9] The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the command of the LORD is clear, enlightening the eye. (R) 9 [10] The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever; the ordinances of the LORD are true, all of them just. (R) 10 [11] They are more precious than gold, than a heap of purest gold; sweeter also than syrup or honey from the comb. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus can see straight through their loaded question and so gives them one in return! This is a case where the best response is to fight fire with fire! Sometimes we are not obliged to answer questions posed to us because of the nature of the situation or the question itself might be nonsensical. Whatever answer Jesus might give could be construed against Him if one so intended, and thus the question lacks merit. Sometimes our best response to a question of this nature is to follow Jesus’ example and not answer it.

ALLELUIA
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Mark 11:27-33
27 Jesus and his disciples returned once more to Jerusalem. As he was walking in the temple area, the chief priests, the scribes, and the elders approached him 28 and said to him, “By what authority are you doing these things? Or who gave you this authority to do them?” 29 Jesus said to them, “I shall ask you one question. Answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things. 30 Was John’s baptism of heavenly or of human origin? Answer me.” 31 They discussed this among themselves and said, “If we say, ‘Of heavenly origin,’ he will say, ‘[Then] why did you not believe him?’ 32 But shall we say, ‘Of human origin’?” — they feared the crowd, for they all thought John really was a prophet. 33 So they said to Jesus in reply, “We do not know.” Then Jesus said to them, “Neither shall I tell you by what authority I do these things.”

my reflections
think: The wisdom of God is always attached to truth and holiness.

-----------------

WHAT IN REALITY IS TRULY WISE?
There are all sorts of authorities in today’s world that claim to be sources of wisdom. Are they truly such, or are they merely pretenders placing the crown of wisdom on their own heads without any real objective reference point? I think the latter is more likely to be the case. We live in a world where there is very little attention given to objective moral truth unless it is to reject it as “old fashioned and past its use-by date.” This is very unfortunate, especially when it comes to moral issues, for unless there are absolute moral values that we can rely upon, then there is no such thing as a morality that is binding upon all.
People today tend to want to be their own source of authority on virtually everything that affects them. Unfortunately this is not conducive to either seeking wisdom or recognizing it once it is discovered. In fact, it is merely a recipe for emotive arguments that are based on a person’s feelings, which, more often than not, lead to erroneous judgment regarding truth.
I am a firm believer in objective moral truths and the relevant truths that relate to any independent sphere of study, and thus believe that there is wisdom to be learned. This wisdom is immutable and available to all who are willing to sort it out from the multitude of erroneous positions presented to us by society and individuals. True wisdom consists in coming to the understanding of the truth inherent in any aspect of our lives or the world; inherent because it is essential to its existence. God placed the truths relevant to us and the ways of the universe in our respective beings when He created us.
We do not create wisdom – rather we come to an understanding of it. Even so-called breakthroughs in science does not create wisdom. It reveals what has always been there but hidden through error, sin or something else that bars us from recognizing the truth. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Who or what do I consider as sources of wisdom in my life? Are these people or things truly worthy to be considered sources of wisdom?

Father in Heaven, from whom all truth comes, help me to open my mind to the truth of the Holy Spirit so that He can lead and guide me in Your ways every day of my life.

St. Gerasimus, pray for us.

Carry the Lord in your heart this Monday!

7 March
Monday

beware of judging

“The stone which the builders rejected as worthless turned out to be the most important of all.” – Mark 12: 10

Had Jesus, our Lord, lived among us as a billionaire, a celebrity or a high government official, He would have been treated much differently. He wouldn’t have been abandoned by friends, condemned by rulers and rejected by His own people.
But, no. He was the stone the builders rejected. To many, He didn’t fit the description of the promised Messiah whom God promised. It must have been difficult for them to see the Son of God as a carpenter, someone who walked among fishermen and tax collectors, ordinary people and sinners.
How many times have you judged others of not coming up to your expectations, of not meeting your standards, of not being worthy of your kind? How many times have you also been mistaken?
I heard about an actress who arrogantly told a simple old woman she didn’t want her to be in the same elevator. The old woman stepped out of the elevator but only to call the guards to take the surprised actress out of the place. The woman owned the building.
Be very cautious of judging others. The person who might turn out to be unworthy is you. Alvin Barcelona ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Have you been rejected as someone unworthy? How did you feel? Have you rejected others, too? Did you ever think how they must have felt about it?

Lord, I am unworthy, yet You have given me so much worth and value because You accepted me and loved me for who I am. May I do
the same to others. Amen.

------
1st READING

This passage sets the tone for the whole book of Tobit where we follow the fortunes of Tobit and his family, all of whom are good and God-fearing people. Not only does Tobit seek to share his meal with someone who has nothing to eat, on learning of someone who has died in the street he takes on the duty of others to take care of burying the body. As the Old Testament understands it, he is truly good and righteous person.

Tobit 1:3; 2:1-8
3 I, Tobit, have walked all the days of my life on the paths of truth and righteousness. I performed many charitable works for my kinsmen and my people who had been deported with me to Nineveh, in Assyria. 2: 1 On our festival of Pentecost, the feast of Weeks, a fine dinner was prepared for me, and I reclined to eat. 2 The table was set for me, and when many different dishes were placed before me, I said to my son Tobiah: “My son, go out and try to find a poor man from among our kinsmen exiled here in Nineveh. If he is a sincere worshiper of God, bring him back with you, so that he can share this meal with me. Indeed, son, I shall wait for you to come back.” 3 Tobiah went out to look for some poor kinsman of ours. When he returned he exclaimed, “Father!” I said to him, “What is it, son?” He answered, “Father, one of our people has been murdered! His body lies in the market place where he was just strangled!” 4 I sprang to my feet, leaving the dinner untouched; and I carried the dead man from the street and put him in one of the rooms, so that I might bury him after sunset. 5 Returning to my own quarters, I washed myself and ate my food in sorrow. 6 I was reminded of the oracle pronounced by the prophet Amos against Bethel: “Your festivals shall be turned into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation.” 7 And I wept. Then at sunset I went out, dug a grave, and buried him. 8 The neighbours mocked me, saying to one another: “Will this man never learn! Once before he was hunted down for execution because of this very thing; yet now that he has escaped, here he is again burying the dead!”

P S A L M

Psalms 112:1-2, 3-4, 5-6
R: Blessed the man who fears the Lord.
1 Blessed the man who fears the LORD, who greatly delights in his commands. 2 His posterity shall be mighty upon the earth; the upright generation shall be blessed. (R) 3 His generosity shall endure forever. 4 Light shines through the darkness for the upright; he is gracious and merciful and just. (R) 5 Well for the man who is gracious and lends, who conducts his affairs with justice; 6 he shall never be moved; the just man shall be in everlasting remembrance. (R)

G O S P E L

So often the test of holiness and goodness comes when the judge is not around in person to see what we are doing. Out of sight – out of mind is an attitude that never excuses a wrong we might be contemplating. In the same way a good test of a person’s goodness of love is to see how consistent it is when there is nothing in return on offer to the person doing a good deed. Let us seek to grow in selflessness and thus service of those around us.

ALLELUIA
Jesus Christ, you are the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead; you have loved us and freed us from our sins by your Blood.

Mark 12:1-12
1 Jesus began to speak to the chief priests, the scribes, and the elders in parables. “A man planted a vineyard, put a hedge around it, dug a wine press, and built a tower. Then he leased it to tenant farmers and left on a journey. 2 At the proper time he sent a servant to the tenants to obtain from them some of the produce of the vineyard. 3 But they seized him, beat him, and sent him away empty-handed. 4 Again he sent them another servant. And that one they beat over the head and treated shamefully. 5 He sent yet another whom they killed. So, too, many others; some they beat, others they killed. 6 He had one other to send, a beloved son. He sent him to them last of all, thinking, ‘They will respect my son.’ 7 But those tenants said to one another, ‘This is the heir. Come, let us kill him, and the inheritance will be ours.’ 8 So they seized him and killed him, and threw him out of the vineyard. 9 What then will the owner of the vineyard do? He will come, put the tenants to death, and give the vineyard to others. 10 Have you not read this scripture passage: ‘The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone; 11 by the Lord has this been done, and it is wonderful in our eyes’?” 12 They were seeking to arrest him, but they feared the crowd, for they realized that he had addressed the parable to them. So they left him and went away.

my reflections
t h i n k : S o often the test of holiness and goodness comes when the judge is not around in person to see what we are doing.

------

THE STONE WE REJECTED
Do you have any regrets in your life? I have — and there are many of them. My regrets come from an error of judgment and the rejection of something in or for my life that I should have accepted. For example, I regret not taking up the chance to learn a musical instrument when my parents offered me. I regret this so much that I wish they had forced me to do it. Why don’t I just start learning one now? Well, maybe I should. But the excuse I give is that I am too busy to have the time to learn an instrument properly. And if it is worth doing, it needs a minimum level of commitment and effort. Is this reason good enough? Maybe not, but it holds sway in my mind as I write this reflection.
Jesus tells a parable and then interprets it through the image of a rejected stone. This is a powerful image. When we consider that the stone is a metaphor for a foundational truth in our lives, it becomes all the more important.
The people to whom Jesus was speaking knew exactly what Jesus meant through the parable but they reject His criticism and seek to get rid of Him from their lives. This rejection is a rejection of the truth of the Gospel. It is a refusal to submit one’s life humbly to the will and plan of God. It is tantamount to replacing God as the authority figure in one’s life.
Regret can lead to depression. When we realize that we have made a mistake, let us be mature enough to admit it, repent of it and then get on with remedying the situation no matter how embarrassing it might be. Nothing is worth going into depression. We all make mistakes. Let us simply try to do our best to make the right choices, and change and fix whatever errors we make. Jesus must be the cornerstone — in fact every stone — on which we build our Christian lives. We can learn about Him through the lives of others, but ultimately it is Jesus and the Gospel upon which we must build. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Do I have any regrets in life? What are they? Can I do anything to fix the problem they created? What am I going to do about them?

Father, You are the source of all goodness. Help me to draw from the truth in the decisions that I make for my life so that I will regret as little as possible later.

St. Paul the Simple, pray for us.

Get empowered by His message to you this Tuesday!

8 March
Tuesday

WHO NEEDS A BEAUTY MAKEOVER ?

“Teacher, we know that you are a truthful man and that you are not concerned with anyone’s opinion.” – Mark 12:14

When she was growing up, Precy (not her real name) was told she was ugly, and thus she felt rejected. She didn’t realize the feeling of rejection was ingrained in her until she attended the Sunday Feast led by Bo Sanchez, especially his teachings about obstacles to being happy in life. “One of them,” Bo said, “is the negative stuff that we hear when we were children,” Precy told me.
All her life, Precy labored to look beautiful, putting on heavy makeup, multi-coloured dresses and wearing fake fashion jewelry and other accessories. But since we’ve become friends, Precy and I worked on our hang-ups — including how we looked. Eventually, we developed our own beauty and fashion statements. Precy decided her style is light makeup, simple — a little expensive — but elegant clothes, bags and shoes and genuine jewelry she could afford. “ I am no longer fake,” she said.
Just like our Lord Jesus, we will feel rejected even by people close to us. I pray I will always remember today’s Gospel— and Precy’s example — whenever I feel rejected. Cynthia Santiago ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
God has made us like Him — and He loves us even when others don’t.

Lord, may I always love and appreciate the real me — even when others don’t.

-------------

1st READING

This is truly a bizarre story to remind us that when it comes to things of faith, there is no such thing as a ‘mere ordinary.’ When God is involved virtually anything is possible, even something as bizarre as we read about today! Let us not exclude the possibility that God can work in our situation no matter how hopeless it may seem. God likes to surprise us just when we think there is no answer to our problem.

Tobit 2:9-14
9 On the night of Pentecost, after I had buried the dead, I Tobit, went into my courtyard wall. My face was uncovered because of the heat. 10 I did not know there were birds perched on the wall above me, till their warm droppings settled in my eyes, causing cataracts. I went to see some doctors for a cure, but the more they anointed my eyes with various salves, the worse the cataracts became, until I could see no more. For four years I was deprived of eyesight, and all my kinsmen were grieved at my condition. Ahiqar, however, took care of me for two years, until he left for Elymais. 11 At that time my wife Anna worked for hire at weaving cloth, the kind of work women do. 12 When she sent back the goods to their owners, they would pay her. Late in winter she finished the cloth and sent it back to the owners. They paid her the full salary, and also gave her a young goat for the table. 13 On entering my house the goat began to bleat. I called to my wife and said: “Where did this goat come from? Perhaps it was stolen! Give it back to its owners; we have no right to eat stolen food!” 14 But she said to me, “It was given to me as a bonus over and above my wages.” Yet I would not believe her, and told her to give it back to its owners. I became very angry with her over this. So she retorted: “Where are your charitable deeds now? Where are your virtuous acts? See! Your true character is finally showing itself!”

P S A L M

Psalms 112:1-2, 7-8, 9
R: The heart of the just one is firm, trusting in the Lord.
1 Blessed the man who fears the LORD, who greatly delights in his commands. 2 His posterity shall be mighty upon the earth; the upright generation shall be blessed. (R) 7 An evil report he shall not fear; his heart is firm, trusting in the LORD. 8 His heart is steadfast; he shall not fear till he looks down upon his foes. (R) 9 Lavishly he gives to the poor; his generosity shall endure forever; his horn shall be exalted in glory. (R)

G O S P E L
A Christian lives a life ‘betwixt and between.’ That is, we live in the world but we do not belong to it; we are subject to so many of the world’s vicissitudes, but we never lose hope in the fact that we have the victory through Christ! This is what it means to be a disciple – to live in the world such that others are able to see that we are separate from its vices and passions. We live for God’s Kingdom and not the pleasures and attractions of the world.

ALLELUIA
May the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ enlighten the eyes of our hearts, that we may know what is the hope that belongs to his call.

Mark 12:13-17
13 Some Pharisees and Herodians were sent to Jesus to ensnare him in his speech. 14 They came and said to him, “Teacher, we know that you are a truthful man and that you are not concerned with anyone’s opinion. You do not regard a person’s status but teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it lawful to pay the census tax to Caesar or not? Should we pay or should we not pay?” 15 Knowing their hypocrisy he said to them, “Why are you testing me? Bring me a denarius to look at.” 16 They brought one to him and he said to them, “Whose image and inscription is this?” They replied to him, “Caesar’s.” 17 So Jesus said to them, “Repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God.” They were utterly amazed at him.

my reflections
t h i n k : L et us not exclude the possibility that God can work in our situation no matter how hopeless it may seem.

--------

TAXATION: THE MORALITY OF IT ALL

Paying taxes is one thing that people most commonly complain about. In the time of Jesus, this was also the case. Given the nature and type of society we live in and the demands we make upon our governments, then taxation is here to stay. Government bashing is common everywhere. Nearly everyone has something to say in the way their government is failing to deliver what they think it should provide to its citizens. Most of the time it boils down to complaining about how much tax one has to pay and the perception that the return is somehow lacking.
Jesus does not condemn the practice of paying taxes. In Romans 13, Paul tells us to be good citizens of our countries, obedient in all things, provided that the state is not asking us to do anything immoral. It seems to me that we will be left with the logical conclusion that as far as the Scriptures are concerned, we should pay our taxes. Why? The answer is simple: If we do not pay our taxes, the services that the government provides will cease. Without taxes, the government would not be able to provide the service by which we get a passport and we therefore could not travel abroad. This would be more than just a minor inconvenience in a country where something like 40 percent of the GNP comes from the remittance of wages of foreign workers. The road system upon which we drive and travel would fall into disrepair, and so on.
We have a moral responsibility to help the government provide these services. We would be among the first to complain if they no longer exist. The government also has a moral responsibility to give a proper accounting of how the taxes are spent. The judgment of God will lie heavily upon those who participate incorruption, especially endemic corruption, because it is theft, a mortal sin that deprives a person of the possibility of gaining eternal life. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Do I pay my taxes promptly and fairly? If in government, do I use the money of the people for their good or my own?

Father in Heaven, Your generosity to me has known no bounds in terms of the gift of salvation. Help me to give generously in return, including doing my duty in paying tax.

St. Rhian, pray for us.

Back
Top Bottom