Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

God's Message For You Today

12 January
Saturday

A NOT SO gOOD iDEA
“And we have this confidence in him…” – 1 John 5:14

It’s a stupendous idea, I thought to myself. You go, girl, I encouraged myself more.
I did my research and preparations for the grand event.
I carried out everything with every fiber of my being.
I developed the list, typed the necessary paperwork, artfully crafted each page and readied everything for our first family meeting.
But I didn’t quite pull it off. I thought “owning” the idea meant I was on my own. Because of this, the whole initial process was a disaster.
I was too confident, much too proud.
I prided myself in thinking that I had all the brilliant answers.
It had to take arguments, hurt feelings and the awkwardness that night to make me realize what a fool I was.
Little did I know that when I put my full confidence in God alone will He work wonders beyond what I could ever dream of.
That stupendous idea? Thank God, He made it flourish. In the end, it blessed many — even me. Lallaine Gogna

REFLECTION:
“Such confidence we have through Christ toward God. Not that of ourselves we are qualified to take credit for anything as coming from us; rather, our qualification comes from God.” (2 Corinthians 3-4)

Lord, this year, allow me to grow in confidence and hope of all that You have in store for me!

the art of fadinG aWay

Today, we once again meet John the Baptist who prepared the people of Israel for the coming of Jesus. In today’s gospel, we read how John fulfilled his task and was ready to step aside and fade away.
There were still disciples of the Baptist who claimed that John was greater than Jesus and may have been the real Messiah. And so the evangelist quotes the famous words of John, “He must increase, but I must decrease.” He compares Jesus with the bridegroom and himself with the friend of the groom. The Old Testament compares Israel with a bride,and God with the bridegroom, to express the profound union between God and His people.
The bridegroom’s friend, the best man, also played an important role. Through him, the bride and bridegroom could communicate before the wedding. The friend arranged the wedding, invited the guests and presided at the weeklong wedding
feast. In the evening, he would guard the door of the bride’s room so that no false lover would enter. He was relieved from his duty when the groom comes to be with his bride.
John’s task was to bring Jesus and Israel together. He already completed his task and was ready to fade away as he joyfully exclaimed that he must decrease while Jesus must increase. What would happen from now on between Jesus and Israel was no longer his responsibility. He could only do what was in his power, and he had done it very well.
Each of us has a certain task and role to play. It would be good to be certain about this and not interfere with the tasks of others or cling to one’s position when someone else is ready to take over. Pride could be a reason. It could also be the desire to be recognized. Another reason could be lack of trust in others.
Let us be realistic. We can only do what is in our power and then let others take over. May we have the humility of John the Baptist when the time comes to let go. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:
Do I have the tendency to cling to a position? Can I delegate and let others take over?

Prayer: Lord, let me learn from John the Baptist’s example the virtue of humility. Help me to be aware when my time comes to give way to others. And when that moment comes, let me do it with joy and not with bitterness. Help me also to say honestly at that moment that I have done what I could.

St. Tatiana, martyr, pray for us.

Last edited:
January
Sunday

Feast of the Baptism of the Lord
LikE FATHER, LikE SON

“This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” – Matthew 3:17

When I was a kid, the person who was most proud of me was my dad. Though it was my mom who tutored me and trained me well, it was Dad who would always go up the stage every time I got an award. He would brag to everyone about his son and would always quip, “Mana sa ama!”
As I continue on with furthe r “achievements” in life, I thank my mom for raising me up to the person I am today. But somehow, I continue to miss my dad. He succumbed to a stroke shortly after I graduated from college.
Now, every time I’m up on stage — as a speaker, performer or preacher — I would still catch myself seeing Dad in my mind, his eyes beaming with pride, telling the world, “That’s my son. Mana sa akin ‘yan!”
Before tears roll from my eyes, I am consoled with the truth that there is a greater “Dad” — my Father God, in heaven — who sees me more, knows me more and loves me more. It is He whom I should please more. It is my ultimate prayer that one day I too shall hear Him say, “Alvin is my beloved son with whom I am pleased.”
“Mana din sa akin ‘yan!” Alvin Barcelona

REFLECTION:

Does my life make my dad proud of me? Does my life make my Father God proud of me?

Father God, grant me the grace to make You proud that I am Your child. Make my life pleasing to You, like Your one true Son, Jesus — my brother, my model, my Lord. Amen.

----------------

What happened at My BaptisM?

Most of us were baptized as infants and do not remember this great moment. And yet, after our birth, our baptism was the most decisive moment in our life.
My mother always made my baptismal day special. She would light my baptismal candle during breakfast, put some flowers on the table, and add something special to our usual meal. She did this to remind me that this day was as important as the birthday I had celebrated a week earlier.
Unfortunately, many Christians do not remember their baptismal day. They consider baptism as just a namegiving ceremony and an opportunity to have a party. Parents and godparents forget that during baptism, they took upon themselves the duty to bring up the child according to the teachings and values of Jesus Christ and the Church. The feast of the Baptism of the Lord reminds us of this important fact, and gives meaning to the baptism we received many years ago.
After Jesus was baptized by John, He began His public ministry. Our baptism also sets us on the path of becoming a disciple of Christ. At baptism, the heavenly Father adopted us and spoke to us the words He spoke at the river Jordan, “You are my beloved child.”
As we grow up, so do the graces received at baptism. Like seeds, these had to be developed and nurtured in order to grow. Baptism is just the beginning of the lifelong process of becoming a Christian. In spite of our weaknesses and failures, we move slowly but surely towards the goal of coming closer to God and closer to the example of Jesus’ life, closer to becoming the disciple Jesus wants us to be.
The more we know and love Jesus, the more we will be able to develop our baptismal graces and become real Christians. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:
When is my day of baptism? How could I make this day special? Am I aware that becoming a real Christian is a lifelong process?

Merciful Father, today I thank You once more for adopting me in baptism as Your beloved child. Even though I have not always lived as Your child is supposed to live, I trust that You continue to love me and sustain me and help me to develop further the graces You have bestowed on me when I was baptized.

St. Hilary, bishop and doctor of the Church, pray for us.

-----------------
1st READING

Once again we read that Jesus is “a light to the nations.” This means that we too are lights to the nations. It is not as though we have a choice in this matter. If we call ourselves Christians then this is part of the identity we take on in Christ. Baptism not only conforms us to the person of Christ but also to His general mission of bringing the light of the Gospel to the ends of the earth.

Isaiah 42: 1-4, 6-7
1 Here is my servant whom I uphold, my chosen one with whom I am pleased, upon whom I have put my spirit; he shall bring forth justice to the nations, 2 not crying out, not shouting, not making his voice heard in the street. 3 A bruised reed he shall not break, and a smoldering wick he shall not quench, 4 until he establishes justice on the earth; the coastlands will wait for his teaching. 6 I, the LORD, have called you for the victory of justice, I have grasped you by the hand; I formed you, and set you as a covenant of the people, a light for the nations, 7 to open the eyes of the blind, to bring out prisoners from confinement, and from the dungeon, those who live in darkness.

P S A L M

Psalm 29: 1-2 , 3-4, 3, 9-10 ( 11b)
R: The Lord will bless his people with peace.

1 Give to the LORD, you sons of God, give to the LORD glory and praise, 2 give to the LORD the glory due his name; adore the LORD in holy attire. (R) 3 The voice of the LORD is over the waters, the LORD, over vast waters. 4 The voice of the LORD is mighty; the voice of the LORD is majestic. (R) 3 The God of glory thunders, 9 and in his temple all say, “Glory!” 10 The LORD is enthroned above the flood; the LORD is enthroned as king forever. (R)

2nd READING

In choosing this text for the Second Reading, the Church affirms Her evangelical commitment to bring the Gospel to all men and women. There will always be a need for people who are willing to break the shackles of their comfort in their own culture and be ready to bring the Gospel to other peoples and cultures. This is hard work and requires great dedication and determination of Spirit.

Acts 10:34-38
34 Peter proceeded to speak and said, “In truth, I see that God shows no partiality. 35 Rather, in every nation whoever fears him and acts uprightly is acceptable to him. 36 You know the word [that] he sent to the Israelites as he proclaimed peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all, 37 what has happened all over Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached, 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power. He went about doing good and healing all those oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.

GOSPEL

Jesus submits Himself to the baptism of John and in so doing creates a sacrament that has transforming power for those willing to surrender their lives to the graces and gifts of God offered in Baptism. Baptism is a rite of passage of faith; it marks the boundary between a life of condemnation and a life of blessing. It is up to the individual to dispose his or her life to the graces of the Sacrament and so live it to the full.

Matthew 3: 13- 17
13 Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him. 14 John tried to prevent him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and yet you are coming to me?” 15 Jesus said to him in reply, “Allow it now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed him. 16 After Jesus was baptized, he came up from the water and behold, the heavens were opened for him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming upon him. 17 And a voice came from the heavens, saying, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”

my reflections
think:There will always be a need for people who are willing to break the shackles of their comfort in their own culture and be ready to bring the Gospel to other peoples and cultures. Are you one of them?

God’s special verse/thought for me today________________

T O D A Y ’ S BLESSING LIST
Thank You Lord for: ____________________________________

SABBATH PAUSE
My weekly time with God
THANK YOU LIST
Things to be grateful for from the past week
Things to ask God for in the coming week
Most important word God told me this week

January
Tuesday

bURDEN bEARER

She went to her quarters, ate and drank with her husband and no longer appeared downcast. – 1 Samuel 1:18b

In situations when feelings of hurt and worry set in, I remember the verse in 1 Peter 5:7: “Cast all your worries upon him because He cares for you.”
So I go down on my knees to pray about my anxieties. As I do this, the Lord reminds me of how blessed I am and the many miracles I experience.
Like the way He promoted me in our company. And how I’m able to witness through the surprising ways I bring in clients — through chance encounters in an elevator, at a Christmas party or in a store.
Or the inspirations He gave us during the construction of our house so that our decors would be Christ-centered. Or how He led us to the right suppliers and provided for us so that we never ran short of money.
Once, when I was feeling down, a charming blue kingfisher flew across our path, allowing me to admire the plumage of the bird. It was enough to restore my joy.
Indeed, Jesus is my Burden Bearer. Donna España

REFLECTION:
Down on our knees is the best way to beat the problems and burdens of our life.

Lord, Your yoke is easy and Your burden is light as I come close to You.

-----------------
st. arnold Janssen

Those who knew Fr. Arnold Janssen, whose feast we celebrate today, wouldn’t have thought he established worldwide missionary congregations. He was a quiet man, a teacher of Mathematics and a man who did not impress those who met him. But he was a man of prayer and heard God’s call while teaching Science. He realized that spreading the Word of God would transform the world into a better place. Against all odds, he started his work as founder of the Divine Word Missionaries (SVD), The Holy Spirit Sisters and Pink Sisters.
In Germany, Arnold was not allowed to found a mission house because of the political situation. So, went to Holland where he acquired an abandoned pub and transformed it into his first mission house. The first few followers were not always happy with his style and some soon left him. Financial problems threatened his work, but he went on building saying, “Don’t worry, the money is already in the pockets of benefactors.”
Today, his “sons and daughters” work all over the world. At present, SVD is the only male religious congregation still growing in numbers. Last year, one more member was chosen to become the bishop of Abra, where the first SVD missionaries began their work in the Philippines.
St. Arnold Janssen also stressed the involvement of lay people in the missionary endeavors of his congregations. We would not be able to do what we are doing without the generous involvement and support of countless lay people who, through their efforts and cooperation, become co-missionaries and help spread the Word of God. To become a missionary, one does not have to leave home and go to faraway countries. St. Arnold Janssen never left Europe but became such a great missionary.
May this feast of St. Arnold Janssen inspire you to join the missionary work of the Church by your prayer and your support of the missions. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:
Am I aware that as a Christian, I am supposed to be a missionary? How can I fulfill this task more effectively?

Lord, You chose an unassuming Math teacher to become the founder of three missionary congregations. May the example of this saint and that of his sons and daughters inspire all of us to become partners of this great task of the Church.

St. Ita, virgin, pray for us.

-----------------

1st READING

Hannah has not given up hope that she will one day give birth to a child. She pleads her case before the Lord and is encouraged by Eli in her prayer, once he understands that she is not drunk. Let us be inspired by her faith and trust in God and pray for the grace to be unrelenting in our own petitioning of God for His blessings. Hannah could have despaired but she chose otherwise. She is a model for all who desire an answer from God to their prayers.

1 Samuel :19-20
9 Hannah rose after one such meal at Shiloh, and presented herself before the LORD; at the time, Eli the priest was sitting on a chair near the doorpost of the LORD’s temple. 10 In her bitterness she prayed to the LORD, weeping copiously, 11 and she made a vow, promising “O LORD of hosts, if you look with pity on the misery of your handmaid, if you remember me and do not forget me, if you give your handmaid a male child, I will give him to the LORD for as long as he lives; neither wine nor liquor shall he drink, and no razor shall ever touch his head.” 12 As she remained long at prayer before the LORD, Eli watched her mouth, 13 for Hannah was praying silently; though her lips were moving, her voice could not be heard. Eli, thinking her drunk, 14 said to her, “How long will you make a drunken show of yourself? Sober up from your wine!” 15 “It isn’t that, my lord,” Hannah answered. “I am an unhappy woman. I have had neither wine nor liquor; I was only pouring out my troubles to the LORD. 16 Do not think your handmaid a ne’er-do-well; my prayer has been prompted by my deep sorrow and misery.” 17 Eli said, “Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant you what you have asked of him.” 18 She replied, “Think kindly of your maidservant,” and left. She went to her quarters, ate and drank with her husband, and no longer appeared downcast. 19 Early the next morning they worshipped before the LORD, and then returned to their home in Ramah. When Elkanah had relations with his wife Hannah, the LORD remembered her. 20 She conceived, and at the end of her term bore a son whom she called Samuel, since she had asked the LORD for him.

P S A L M

1 Samuel 2: 1, 4-5 , 6-7, 8abcd
R: My heart exults in the Lord, my Savior.

1 “My heart exults in the LORD, my horn is exalted in my God. I have swallowed up my enemies; I rejoice in my victory.” (R) 4 “The bows of the mighty are broken, while the tottering gird on strength. 5 The well-fed hire themselves out for bread, while the hungry fatten on spoil. The barren wife bears seven sons, while the mother of many languishes.” (R) 6 “The LORD puts to death and gives life; he casts down to the nether world; he raises up again. 7 The LORD makes poor and makes rich, he humbles, he also exalts.” (R) 8 “He raises the needy from the dust; from the dung heap he lifts up the poor, to seat them
with nobles and make a glorious throne their heritage” (R)

G O S P E L

There is usually something within all human beings that shows itself at least once in a lifetime. I am speaking about the desire for fame – the desire to be remembered for something, particularly something good. Jesus’ life teaches us one way to have this come true in that those who live with integrity automatically inspire others and are remembered and spoken of as models for the youth. The authority of Jesus when He spoke came precisely from the fact that He lived every truth He proclaimed.

Mark 1: 21-28
21 Jesus came to Capernaum with his followers, and on the sabbath he entered the synagogue and taught. 22 The people were astonished at his teaching, for he taught them as one having authority and not as the scribes. 23 In their synagogue was a man with an unclean spirit; 24 he cried out, “What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are — the Holy One of God!” 25 Jesus rebuked him and said, “Quiet! Come out of him!” 26 The unclean spirit convulsed him and with a loud cry came out of him. 27 All were amazed and asked one another, “What is this? A new teaching with authority. He commands even the unclean spirits and they obey him.” 28 His fame spread everywhere throughout the whole region of Galilee.
Matthew - 4
my reflections
think: Let us be inspired by Hannah’s faith and trust in God and pray for the grace to be unrelenting in our own petitioning of God for His blessings.

18 January
Friday

FASTEST HEALiNg YET

They were all completely amazed and praised God, saying, “We have never seen anything like this!” – Mark 2:12

Two years ago, our daughter who was only six years old then was diagnosed with a rare condition called localized scleroderma. One side of her body, which included her arms and legs, had developed lesion-like rashes that initially appeared as dry skin patches. It was a condition whose cause and cure has not yet been identified.
The doctors said it could spread throughout her body. It might also affect the growth of her bones on certain joints. The experimental medicines might affect her internal organs and there is no guarantee that it will work.
After a couple of days of feeling down, all we could do was to lift up our daughter to the Lord. Family and friends prayed for her healing, too. We also brought her to a couple of healing priests who prayed over her. At the same time, we followed all the instructions and medications given by her doctor.
Nine months after she was first diagnosed, we visited the doctor for her regular checkup. I can still recall the words the doctor uttered: “Her case has to be one of the fastest healing I have seen! From my observation, your daughter is well already.” Alvin Fabella

REFLECTION:

When faced with a medical impossibility, do you take the word of the doctor or the Word of God?

Lord, You are the Greatest Healer and You have proven this several times already in my life. Some parts of my life now need Your healing. I pray that You touch me so that all aspects of my life may be healed and may be used for Your further glory.

aBout insistenCe

Insistent people can get on our nerves. But in the end, they get what they want – like the four men who brought their paralyzed friend to Jesus for healing. Because of the crowd, they could not enter the house, so they destroyed the roof to let their friend down into the presence of Jesus. If only we had such perseverance and insistence to overcome all obstacles in seeking Jesus.
The paralyzed man needed to be cured. Jesus immediately realized that physical paralysis was not his real problem — it was a heart paralyzed with guilt. Paralysis often has a purely psychological cause. Repressed guilt can produce impotence, frigidity and even complete paralysis of some parts of the body. All aspects of our being are interconnected. Jesus must have known this and goes straight to the root of the problem: He forgives whatever sin this man might have committed, and runs the risk of being accused of blasphemy. Then physical healing takes place.
Many of us become sick and resort to doctors and medicines. We pray in those times for healing and ask friends to pray for us. When healing is delayed, we conclude that God did not listen to our prayers. But have we ever asked ourselves whether a sin committed, a sinful habit, or an unforgiven hurt might be the cause for the delay in healing? While we continue to consult a doctor and pray for healing, it would also be good to make a very honest examination of conscience and confession. Like the four insistent men in the gospel, Jesus is also insistent on our spiritual health, and the healing of all wounds caused by sin.
Note that the sick man did not say any word. He neither asked to be forgiven nor to be healed. It was the faith and insistence of his four friends that moved Jesus to act. Kind and sensitive insistence, combined with prayer, may bring a person to where healing and joy will be found: to Jesus Christ, the Divine Physician. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:

Who among my acquaintances would need to be brought to Jesus? How do I best approach that person?

Lord, thank You for remindingme to overcome my bahala na attitude and be more insistent when it comes to my spiritual health and bringing people to You. Please, give me always the right words and the right attitude.

St. Ammonius, martyr, pray for us.

1st READING

Even a man as influential as Samuel can fail to hold sway when the mind of the people work against him. He warns the people that there will be consequences if a king is introduced into Israel’s governance, but they will not heed him. He was right but that is no consolation a hundred years later. We see God’s willingness to allow humanity its freedom in the calling for a king. Even though he has been rejected as King of Israel, He will not abandon His people.

1 Samuel 8:4-7,10-22 a
4 All the elders of Israel came in a body to Samuel at Ramah 5 and said to him, “Now that you are old, and your sons do not follow your example, appoint a king over us, as other nations have, to judge us.” 6 Samuel was displeased when they asked for a king to judge them. He prayed to the LORD, however, 7 who said in answer “Grant the people’s every request. It is not you they reject, they are rejecting me as their king.” 10 Samuel delivered the message of the LORD in full to those who were asking him for a king. 11 He told them “The rights of the king who will rule you will be as follows He will take your sons and assign them to his chariots and horses, and they will run before his chariot. 12 He will also appoint from among them his commanders of groups of a thousand and of a hundred soldiers. He will set them to do his plowing and his harvesting, and to make his implements of war and the equipment of his chariots. 13 He will use your daughters as ointment-makers, as cooks, and as bakers. 14 He will take the best of your fields, vineyards, and olive groves, and give them to his officials. 15 He will tithe your crops and your vineyards, and give the revenue to his eunuchs and his slaves. 16 He will take your male and female servants, as well as your best oxen and your asses, and use them to do his work. 17 He will tithe your flocks and you yourselves will become his slaves. 18 When this takes place, you will complain against the king whom you have chosen, but on that day the LORD will not answer you.” 19 The people, however, refused to listen to Samuel’s warning and said, “Not so! There must be a king over us. 20 We too must be like other nations, with a king to rule us and to lead us in warfare and fight our battles.” 21 When Samuel had listened to all the people had to say, he repeated it to the LORD, 22 who then said to him, “Grant their request and appoint a king to rule them.”

P S A L M

Psalm 89: 16- 17, 18- 19

R: Forever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

15 [16] Blessed the people who know the joyful shout; in the light of your countenance, O LORD, they walk. 16 [17] At your name they rejoice all the day, and through your justice they are exalted. (R) 17 [18] For you are the splendor of their strength, and by your favor our horn is exalted. 18 [19] For to the LORD belongs our shield, and to the Holy One of Israel, our king. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus demonstrates His power over both sin and sickness here. Whatever way we want to look at it, we cannot deny this. It is important for us to realize that God wants us to know He has the power to do these things. It’s not because He will always demonstrate this power when we ask; He wants us to know that He can do it if He so desires. Let us pray for the grace to entrust all our problems to the Lord with faith. He will do what is necessary for us.

Mark 2: 1-12
1 When Jesus returned to Capernaum after some days, it became known that he was at home. 2 Many gathered together so that there was no longer room for them, not even around the door, and he preached the word to them. 3 They came bringing to him a paralytic carried by four men. 4 Unable to get near Jesus because of the crowd, they opened up the roof above him. After they had broken through, they let down the mat on which the paralytic was lying. 5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Child, your sins are forgiven.” 6 Now some of the scribes were sitting there asking themselves, 7 “Why does this man speak that way? He is blaspheming. Who but God alone can forgive sins?” 8 Jesus immediately knew in his mind what they were thinking to themselves, so he said, “Why are you thinking such things in your hearts? 9 Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Rise, pick up your mat and walk’? 10 But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority to forgive sins on earth” — 11 he said to the paralytic, “I say to you, rise, pick up your mat, and go home.” 12 He rose, picked up his mat at once, and went away in the sight of everyone. They were all astounded and glorified God, saying, “We have never seen anything like this.”

my reflections
think:: Do we entrust our problems to the Lord with faith that He will do what is necessary for us?

GETTING TO KNOW THE SAINTS

Saint ElizabEth ann SEton

Elizabeth Ann Bayley-Seton, the first native-born American saint, was born on August 28, 1774 in New York City. She belonged to a wealthy and influential Episcopalian family, raised in the high society of New York during the late 18th century.

She married William Magee Seton, a rich businessman, at the age of 19. Business failed after 10 years of marriage. When William died of tuberculosis, Elizabeth was left with five children. Soon after, she drew close to the Catholic faith, believing in God’s presence in the Eucharist and in the lineage of the Church, originating from Christ and His disciples. Thus, on March 14, 1805, Elizabeth converted to Catholicism.

To support her family and ensure the education of her children, Elizabeth opened a school in Boston. She ran it with a community of religious people.

Through the invitation of Bishop Carroll in 1808, Elizabeth opened St. Joseph’s College, an exclusive Catholic school for girls in Baltimore, Maryland. This began the parochial school system in America. To help in running the system, Elizabeth founded the Sisters of Charity in 1809, the first native American religious community for women. Before she passed away on January 4, 1821, this religious community has increased to 20.

Elizabeth was beatified on March 17, 1963 by Pope John XXIII and canonized on September 14, 1975 by Pope Paul VI.

http://education.yahoo.com
www.catholic-forum.com

Saint John nEumann

Born on March 28, 1811 at Prachititz, Bohemia (Czech Republic), John Neumann was named after John Nepomucene, martyr of Confessors. He was the son of Philip, a German stock factory owner, and Agnes, a Czech. John grew up as an excellent student, living as a seminarian at Budweis, Bohemia. Despite his education in astronomy and botany, John felt
being drawn to religious service. Thus, he studied theology at Charles Ferdinand University at Prague in 1833.

John was ordained in America on June 28, 1836. He chose to preach in a difficult country area in Buffalo where he stayed in a small town with an unfinished church, then moved to a town with a log church after the first was completed. The priest lived in poverty, serving parishioners from many lands and tongues.

John joined the Redemptorists at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1840, served as a missionary in Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia ; then as a rector of St. Philomena Church in Pittsburgh. Three years later in 1847, John became vice-regent and superior of the Redemptorists in America then as bishop of Philadelphia in 1852.

Before the bishop died on January 5, 1860 John was able to establish 50 churches and a cathedral and opened a hundred schools which number grew from 500 to 9,000.

John Neumann was beatified on October 13, 1963 at Rome, Italy and was canonized by Pope Paul VI on June 19, 1977.

January
Saturday

FOLLOWiNg JESUS

As he passed by, he saw Levi, son of Alphaeus, sitting at the customs post. He said to him, “Follow me.” And he got up and followed him. – Mark 2:14

Follow me. The instructions given by Jesus seemed simple enough. Just two words — nothing fancy. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to get what it means.
Simple, maybe. But easy? I don’t think so. All of us struggling Christians can attest to the difficulty of living up to this instruction and invitation. So many times, we stray from the narrow path — because the alternatives always seem to be easier, more enticing, more convenient.
But Jesus doesn’t mince His words.
He said, “Follow me.”
Follow Jesus — not the call of convenience, or fame, or money, not even of other people. He says to follow — to walk in His path, no matter how bumpy or difficult it may be. Because on that road, He is there, in front of us, beside us, all around us — keeping us safe, loving us always. Cess Cosico

REFLECTION:

Recall the past decisions you have made. Who have you been following?

Lord, keep my feet firmly on the path to You. When I stumble, help me see that You are right there, holding me, helping me get back on my feet again.
--------------

Jesus liKes to annoy

Today’s gospel shows that Jesus was a person who annoyed a lot of people. First, He shocked all who were around by not only talking to a tax collector but also by inviting him to follow Him and become part of His group of disciples. This was unheard of; this was a scandal. Tax collectors were hated in Palestine because they collected taxes for the oppressors and enriched themselves at the same time. But, as somebody wrote, “Jesus wanted the man no one else wanted. He offered His friendship to the man whom all others would have scorned to call friend.” Not only that — Jesus accepts an invitation from Levi to dine in his house — together with other tax collectors and questionable characters. Now He annoys the Pharisees, for no pious Jew would enter the house of a tax collector, nor have a meal with him. It would make him unclean.
Jesus doesn’t care what they think. For Him, those who were considered sinners by those pious people were very important. By breaking through the barriers society erected, He reached out to outsiders and assured them that God loves them also and does not reject them as their fellowmen did. He proclaims, “I did not come to call the virtuous, but sinners.” This was not only annoying — it was shocking for His contemporaries. For us, it is Good News. With all our weaknesses,
shortcomings, failures and even sins, we have no reason to despair or be discouraged. The Lord is always there for us, especially in moments when we are rejected or others distance themselves from us because we have done something wrong. We can always approach our Divine Physician – and He will not charge a centavo for His treatment.
But there is still an annoying challenge we have to face. Let us be honest. We are tempted to erect barriers between us and those we consider different from us, who belong to a lower social class and who come in conflict with the law. That is an annoying reality Jesus makes us face today. He means well — He only wants to heal us. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:

Do I allow myself to be annoyed by Jesus’ words and so change my attitude towards others?

Lord, this was a shocking realization. Yes, I easily join the so-called “pious” ones and judge and condemn others. That is not what You want me to do. Help me to become more a compassionate healer than be a harsh, hypocritical judge.

St. Wulfstan, bishop and reformer, pray for us.

-------------

1st READING

One of the most difficult aspects of serving the Lord is learning to think like Him. Often we do not tend to focus on the things that God sees. Thus, we do not understand why God does the things He does. Sometimes we have to unlearn certain ways of acting in order to conform our minds and hearts to His. This is usually a life-long task.

1 Samuel 9: 1-4, 17- 19; 10:1
1 There was a stalwart man from Benjamin named Kish, who was the son of Abiel, son of Zeror, son of Becorath, son of Aphiah, a Benjaminite. 2 He had a son named Saul, who was a handsome young man. There was no other Israelite handsomer than Saul; he stood head and shoulders above the people. 3 Now the asses of Saul’s father, Kish, had wandered off. Kish said to his son Saul, “Take one of the servants with you and go out and hunt for the asses.” 4 Accordingly they went through the hill country of Ephraim, and through the land of Shalishah. Not finding them there, they continued through the land of Shaalim without success. They also went through the land of Benjamin, but they failed to find the animals. 17 When Samuel caught sight of Saul, the LORD assured him, “This is the man of whom I told you; he is to govern my people.” 18 Saul met Samuel in the gateway and said, “Please tell me where the seer lives.” 19 Samuel answered Saul “I am the seer. Go up ahead of me to the high place and eat with me today. In the morning, before dismissing you, I will tell you whatever you wish. 10: 1 Then, from a flask he had with him, Samuel poured oil on Saul’s head; he also kissed him, saying “The LORD anoints you commander over his heritage. You are to govern the LORD’s people Israel, and to save them from the grasp of their enemies round about. “This will be the sign for you that the LORD has anointed you commander over his heritage.”

P S A L M

Psalm 21: 2-3, 4-5 , 6-7

R: Lord, in your strength the king is glad.

1 [2] O Lord, in your strength the king is glad; in your victory how greatly he rejoices! 2 [3] You have granted him his heart’s desire; you refused not the wish of his lips. (R) 3 [4] For you welcomed him with goodly blessings, you placed on his head a crown of pure gold. 4 [5] He asked life of you: you gave him length of days forever and ever. (R) 5 [6] Great is his glory in your victory; majesty and splendor you conferred upon him. 6 [7] For you made him a blessing forever; you gladdened him with the joy of your face.

G O S P E L

Jesus can work with anyone in the proclamation of the Kingdom as long as they desire to give their lives in the service of the Gospel. There lies the problem, I hear you think. True, this is a hard life to live but it is very rewarding. As Jesus says elsewhere in the Gospel, there is always a need for more workers to bring in the harvest. Are you going to be one of them?

Mark 2: 13-17
13 Jesus went out along the sea. All the crowd came to him and he taught them. 14 As he passed by, he saw Levi, son of Alphaeus, sitting at the customs post. He said to him, “Follow me.” And he got up and followed him. 15 While he was at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners sat with Jesus and his disciples; for there were many who followed him. 16 Some scribes who were Pharisees saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors and said to his disciples, “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?” 17 Jesus heard this and said to them, “Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.”
Mark 9-
my reflections
think:: There is always a need for more workers to bring in the harvest. Are you going to be one of them?

January
Sunday

Feast of Sto. Niño

SELFLESS LOVE

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light. – Isaiah 9:1

Did you know that if you are born disabled in Ghana, West Africa, you are most likely to be poisoned, left to die or hidden away? Emmanuel Yeboah was born with a deformed right leg. His mother, although advised to kill Emmanuel, decided to keep him alive.
When his mother died, he embarked on a mission to change the plight of his disabled countrymen. He proved to them that “disability doesn’t mean inability.” He pedaled 610 kilometers across Ghana riding a bike using only his left leg. This caught the attention of people and raised awareness about disability. He raised funds for his different projects for the disabled.
Emmanuel’s life parallel’s that of Jesus’. They were born poor. Even as a child, some people wanted to kill them but failed. They both have a burning mission in their hearts — to bring light and hope to this darkened world. Emmanuel is a gift to his countrymen. Our Lord Jesus is God’s gift to mankind. Jesus said, “I have come that you might have life and have it to the fullest.” Both of them had nothing but gave everything and changed a nation and its people forever. Judith Concepcion

REFLECTION:

What is your mission? What can you do to make a difference in the life of even just one person?

Lord, make me more loving and be a light to the people I meet every day.
------------

GroWinG up in faith

How different is this image of the Sto. Niño from the baby Jesus we put in our belen during the Christmas Season. Even though a child, the Sto. Niño stands in front of me in the full regalia of a king: dressed in royal purple, a crown on His head, the scepter (a symbol of power) in His right hand, the globe (a symbol of ruling the universe) in His left. In front of me is the King of kings, the Prince of Peace. The Sto. Niño makes us aware that Jesus became human like us yet He was still the Son of God who rules as King of the universe.
When we venerate the Sto. Niño, we should remember that this Child is the same Jesus who preached, and healed, and finally died for us on the cross. It is the same Jesus who is present in the Holy Eucharist. It is the same Jesus who will come again to judge the living and the dead. It is the glorified Christ who sits at the right hand of the Father, to whom the fate of humankind was entrusted.
Pope John Paul II reminded the faithful in a homily in Cebu that the child Jesus did not remain a child — He grew up. The Pope said, “In the same way, we must grow up in our faith.” As the child Jesus grew up, so we have to grow up in our faith and prayer life. To face the demands and trials of life, we need a stronger and more mature faith. We should continue growing and learning because the problems we face in life will not cease but also grow with time.
The feast of the Sto. Niño is a reminder and a challenge to take care of our spiritual growth. When Jesus said we have to become like little children, He means that we rely only on our heavenly Father, and not on ourselves, on money or prestige. Then we have the attitude of the Child Jesus and grow and mature and become what God wants us to be: His
beloved children. The image of the Sto. Niño encourages us to grow up spiritually, to trust God like a child and mature spiritually in a faith that enables us to face whatever difficulties may lie ahead. Fr. Rudy Horst

Refection Question:

The Infant Jesus in royal robes asks today: Are you still developing your faith? What are you doing to strengthen your faith?

Jesus, help me to get rid of all pride and become more childlike, trusting only in You and my Father in heaven.

St. Fabian, pope and martyr, pray for us.

---------
1st READING

The Feast of the Sto. Niño should not be some sort of sentimental remembrance of the baby Jesus. Yes, Jesus was born into the world as a helpless baby, but as the first reading reminds us, He will hold the destiny of the world in His hands. He is truly King and Lord and, even as a child, we must not forget the glory and majesty of Jesus. Each of us is called to manifest this glory to the world through a faithful Christian life.

Isaiah 9: 1-6
1 The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; upon those who dwelt in the land of gloom a light has shone. 2 You have brought them abundant joy and great rejoicing, as they rejoice before you as at the harvest, as men make merry when dividing spoils. 3 For the yoke that burdened them, the pole on their shoulder, and the rod of their taskmaster you have smashed, as on the day of Midian. 4 For every boot that tramped in battle, every cloak rolled in blood, will be burned as fuel for flames. 5 For a child is born to us, a son is given us; upon his shoulder dominion rests. They name him: Wonder-counselor, God-hero, Father-forever, Prince of Peace. 6 His dominion is vast and forever peaceful, from David’s throne, and over his kingdom, which he confirms and sustains by judgment and justice, both now and forever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this!

P S A L M

Psalm 98: 1, 2-3ab, 3cd-4, 5-6

R: All the ends of the earth have seen the victory of our God.
1 Sing to the LORD a new song, for he has done wondrous deeds; his right hand has won victory for him, his holy arm. (R) 2 The LORD has made his salvation known; in the sight of the nations he has revealed his justice. 3 He has remembered his kindness and his faithfulness toward the house of Israel. (R) All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation by our God. 4 Sing joyfully to the LORD, all you lands; break into song; sing praise. (R) 5 Sing praise to the LORD with the harp, with the harp and melodious song. 6 With trumpets and the sound of the horn sing joyfully before the King, the LORD. (R)

2nd READING

We must always seek to grow in our faith. When we get comfortable there is the ever-present danger of becoming complacent as well. God calls us to live our Christian lives to the full. I cannot think of a sadder reality than arriving at the end of our lives only to find out what we missed out on because we were too selfish with our time and resources during this life. The best way to avoid this trap is to be an active and contributing member of our Christian communities.

Ephesians 1:3-6, 15-18

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavens, 4 as he chose us in him, before the foundation of the world, to be holy and without blemish before him. In love 5 he destined us for adoption to himself through Jesus Christ, in accord with the favor of his will, 6 for the praise of the glory of his grace that he granted us in the beloved. 15 Therefore, I, too, hearing of your faith in the Lord Jesus and of your love for all the holy ones, 16 do not cease giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation resulting in knowledge of him. 18 May the eyes of [your] hearts be enlightened, that you may know what is the hope that belongs to his call, what are the riches of glory in his inheritance among the holy ones.

G O S P E L

Our understanding of this feast must always reflect the humility of Jesus in coming among us as one of us. We should always seek to be a witness to this truth through our own lives. This does not mean that we remain eternally young like the Sto. Nino, but that we remain eternally trusting in our faith in God as a child is with his/her parents. It is faith that must become the foundation of all that we do.

Matthew 18: 1-5 , 10
1 At that time the disciples approached Jesus and said, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” 2 He called a child over, placed it in their midst, 3 and said, “Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me. 10 “See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father.

my reflections
think: We should remain eternally trusting in our faith in God as a child is with his/her parents. It is faith that must become the foundation of all that we do.

SABBATH PAUSE
My weekly time with God
THANK YOU LIST

Dear friends,

Conquer this new week with God's Word in your heart!

Praying for you,
kerstinne25

----------------
January
Monday

------------

ObEDiENCE

“… to obey is better than sacrifice….” – 1 Samuel 15:22b

“You’re too weak to join the sisters in tonight’s vigil,” her Mother Superior told her. St. Faustina wrote in her diary how she desired so much to be with Jesus in their Thursday adoration but her poor health was a concern. Yet she obeyed.
While alone in her cell, she heard Jesus speak to her. “I am pleased with your obedience and humility before your superior,” the Lord said. And He poured out His Spirit on her and let her enjoy the peace and consolation of His presence. She experienced deep joy in the presence of Jesus as if she was there with Him before the Blessed Sacrament where her fellow nuns were spending the night in vigil.
We know how tempting it is to insist on our ways when told otherwise. Many times we can’t let go of what we want to do. We defy rules — of our school or office, of our doctors, of our community, of our church… and worst of all, God’s laws, too. St. Faustina’s experience affirms that Jesus is drawn to the humble, obedient one who is willing to set aside personal preferences, opinions, plans and so on in favor of obeying our elders. Cristy Galang

REFLECTION:
Think: If Jesus had a list of people He was pleased with because of their virtue of obedience, would your name be on it?

For the many times I asserted my will over Yours, pardon, Lord, pardon. Please help me to be obedient to You always, for my own good. Amen.

-----------

on fastinG and feastinG

The Eucharistic fast was strictly followed in the old days but now many Catholics do not observe it. In many offices, Masses are celebrated during the noon break. Instead of beginning the Mass at 12 noon and eat lunch afterwards, the priest has to wait until 12:15 or even later because employees eat their lunch first and then come to Mass – and receive Communion. Some people are still ready to fast if only to slim down. Instead of fasting, feasting is “in” with the prolonged merienda breaks, and the full restaurants and fastfood chains show. It is ironic then that about half of the population do not have enough to eat and thousands of people die of hunger all over the world each day.
In today’s gospel, Jesus does not seem very keen when it comes to fasting. He defends His disciples who are with Him, who “celebrate” with Him the arrival of the Kingdom of God. But He explains that after He has gone would His disciples fast. Jesus knows that “the flesh is weak” and that it needs some exercise to curb its desires. But to fast in order to present God with a beautiful soul is something very few are ready to do.
Feasting makes us lazy, fasting makes us strong. Feasting dulls the mind, fasting clears the mind. Feasting fills the stomach, fasting fills the soul. Feasting weakens our will and self-control, fasting strengthens our will and helps us to be in control when all kinds of temptations come our way. Feasting can lead to self-indulgence, fasting gives inner strength and spiritual growth. But fasting falls in the category of sacrifice, a word many of us have erased from our vocabulary and practice. And so heroes of faith have become rare, a species endangered by extinction.
H o w a b o u t reducing the feasting and embracing the sacrifice of fasting for the sake of spiritual growth? Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:

Do I have my appetites under control or am I a slave of them? How can I begin a healthy “fasting” for the sake of the Kingdom and for my spiritual growth?

Lord, You pricked my conscience. But I realize that my spiritual growth is slowed down by too much self-indulgence. Thank You for reminding me of the importance of fasting and sacrifice. After all, You offered Your life for me as a supreme sacrifice. I will try to learn from You.

St. Alban Bartholomew, missionary and martyr, pray for us.

---------------------

1st READING

God looks for total obedience to His commands, not a partial fulfillment of His will. The focus here is not meant to be the destruction of the enemy but the lack of obedience of Saul. It is not possible for God to work in us unless we are going to be obedient to all He asks us to do. Partial obedience will eventually result in disaster. Let us seek to give our all in obeying the Lord’s call.

1 Samuel 15: 16-23
16 Samuel said to Saul “Stop! Let me tell you what the LORD said to me last night.” “Speak!” he replied. 17 Samuel then said “Though little in your own esteem, are you not leader of the tribes of Israel? The LORD anointed you king of Israel 18 and sent you on a mission, saying, ‘Go and put the sinful Amalekites under a ban of destruction. Fight against them until you have exterminated them.’ 19 Why then have you disobeyed the LORD? You have pounced on the spoil, thus displeasing the LORD.” 20 Saul answered Samuel “I did indeed obey the LORD and fulfill the mission on which the LORD sent me. I have brought back Agag, and I have destroyed Amalek under the ban. 21 But from the spoil the men took sheep and oxen, the best of what had been banned, to sacrifice to the LORD their God in Gilgal.” 22 But Samuel said “Does the LORD so delight in holocausts and sacrifices as in obedience to the command of the LORD? Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission than the fat of rams. 23 For a sin like divination is rebellion, and presumption is the crime of idolatry. Because you have rejected the command of the LORD, he, too, has rejected you as ruler.”

P S A L M

Psalm 50:8-9, 16bc-17, 21, 23
R: To the upright I will show the saving power of God.
8 Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you, for your burnt offerings are before me always. 9 I take from your house no bullock, no goats out of your fold.” (R) 16 “Why do you recite my statutes, and profess my covenant with your mouth, 17 though you hate discipline and cast my words behind you?” (R) 21 When you do these things, shall I be deaf to it? Or do you think that I am like yourself? I will correct you by drawing them up before your eyes. 23 He that offers praise as a sacrifice glorifies me; and to him that goes the right way I will show the salvation of God.” (R)

G O S P E L

Comparing what God asks of us and with what He asks others to do is never going to help the work of the Kingdom. Ultimately, the only thing that matters is that we respond to God’s call on our lives, not His call on someone else’s life. We cannot live another person’s life or calling. Our own calling ought to keep us busy enough as it is.

Mark 2: 18-22
18 The disciples of John and of the Pharisees were accustomed to fast. People came to him and objected, “Why do the disciples of John and the disciples of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?” 19 Jesus answered them, “Can the wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them? As long as they have the bridegroom with them they cannot fast.
20 But the days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast on that day. 21 No one sews a piece of unshrunken cloth on an old cloak. If he does, its fullness pulls away, the new from the old, and the tear gets worse. 22 Likewise, no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the skins are ruined. Rather, new wine is poured into fresh wineskins.”
Luke -4
my reflections
think: We cannot live another person’s life or calling. Our own calling ought to keep us busy enough as it is.

22 January
Tuesday

----------

giViNg UP A SUNDAY

And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath; so the Son of man is lord even of the Sabbath.” – Mark 2:27-28

It’s impossible for me to survive five days of work without taking a break for at least one day. That’s usually during Sunday. But sometimes, there are pressing matters that require me to give up that much-needed rest day. Like that Sunday Irma and I needed to bring our friend Marian and her dad to the doctor.
Why on a Sunday? Why get up early instead of just staying in bed? Why the need to go with Marian and her dad? Because Marian has a rare disease that severely affects her mobility. That’s why Irma volunteered to drive for us. Because Marian’s dad is in his late 70s and the long endless queues at PGH would be too taxing for him, I begged my cousin Anthony for a consultation at his home. As an intern, Sunday was his only free day.
Irma, Anthony and I believe Jesus would have done the same thing — give up His day of rest to serve those most in need. Dina Pecaña

REFLECTION:

As Lord of the Sabbath, Jesus continued to heal, preach and serve the poor and needy. More than rest, His compassion and love for others came first.

During the times I need to give up my Sunday in order to serve You and others, remind me, Lord, that I’ll find true rest in You.

---------------

aBout reliGious praCtiCes and our sundays

Like the Sabbath of the Jews, our Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest, a day spent in the presence of God, a day of thanksgiving and joy. We are invited to celebrate with Christians all over the world the foundation of our faith: the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. We are invited to participate in the Holy Eucharist where Christ comes into our very being to accompany us through another week of work and worry.
What have we done with this beautiful day? A confrere who works as a missionary in Africa told me recently that the Sunday Mass there lasts for at least three hours. If it is shorter, the people complain. The homily has to last for at least half an hour otherwise the people are not satisfied and think the priest is not prepared. They express their faith by singing and dancing. Every Mass is a joyful celebration. But here if the homily is longer than 10 minutes or if the Mass lasts more than an hour, people complain. Many Catholics don’t go to Mass on Sunday at all while others come late; still others do their own private prayers and rush out of the church as soon as the priest has blessed the community.
Jesus teaches in today’s gospel that Sunday observance is important because it is the day we celebrate the foundation of our faith. It should never be regarded as an obligation, a routine or a burden. The Jewish religious leaders of Jesus’ time stressed the observation of countless rules for the Sabbath that it hindered people from doing the most important thing before God — extend love and compassion to fellowmen in need. Jesus teaches us how religious observances can become ends in themselves, and so cease to be means of communication with God. We can become slaves of practices.
May our Sundays always be days we are free for Him who is always there for us! Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:

Do I pray or go to Church because it is a rule? Has it become a routine? How can I make my Sundays as “Days of the Lord”?

Lord, I have to admit that the routine of everyday life has affected my religious practices, especially my Sundays. Your liberating Word helps me to go beyond rules and regulations. You want me to be wholeheartedly with You as with a friend. Thank You for this important reminder.

----------------

1st READING

Even Samuel has his bad days and gets rebuked by the Lord for dwelling too much on the rejection of Saul. Any good leader cannot afford to dwell too long on his mistakes. He has to get on with the job of leading. Samuel also needs to move on in his life and anoint the next king under the guidance of the Lord. When we face disappointment, let us believe that things can only get better.

1 Samuel 16: 1-13
1 The LORD said to Samuel “How long will you grieve for Saul, whom I have rejected as king of Israel? Fill your horn with oil, and be on your way. I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem, for I have chosen my king from among his sons.” 2 But Samuel replied “How can I go? Saul will hear of it and kill me.” To this the LORD answered “Take a heifer along and say, ‘I have come to sacrifice to the LORD.’ 3 Invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I myself will tell you what to do; you are to anoint for me the one I point out to you.” 4 Samuel did as the LORD had commanded him. When he entered Bethlehem, the elders of the city came trembling to meet him and inquired, “Is your visit peaceful, O seer?” 5 He replied “Yes! I have come to sacrifice to the LORD. So cleanse yourselves and join me today for the banquet.” He also had Jesse and his sons cleanse themselves and invited them to the sacrifice. 6 As they came, he looked at Eliab and thought, “Surely the LORD’s anointed is here before him.” 7 But the LORD said to Samuel “Do not judge from his appearance or from his lofty stature, because I have rejected him. Not as man sees does God see, because man sees the appearance but the LORD looks into the heart.” 8 Then Jesse called Abinadab and presented him before Samuel, who said, “The Lord has not chosen him.” 9 Next Jesse presented Shammah, but Samuel said, “The LORD has not chosen this one either.” 10 In the same way Jesse presented seven sons before Samuel, but Samuel said to Jesse, “The LORD has not chosen any one of these.” 11 Then Samuel asked Jesse, “Are these all the sons you have?” Jesse replied, “There is still the youngest, who is tending the sheep.” Samuel said to Jesse, “Send for him; we will not begin the sacrificial banquet until he arrives here.” 12 Jesse sent and had the young man brought to them. He was ruddy, a youth handsome to behold and making a splendid appearance. The LORD said, “There-anoint him, for this is he!” 13 Then Samuel, with the horn of oil in hand, anointed him in the midst of his brothers; and from that day on, the spirit of the LORD rushed upon David. When Samuel took his leave, he went to Ramah.

P S A L M

Psalm 89: 20,21-22, 27- 28

R: I have found David, my servant.
19 [20] Once you spoke in a vision, and to your faithful ones you said “On a champion I have placed a crown; over the people I have set a youth. (R) 20 [21] “I have found David, my servant; with my holy oil I have anointed him, 21 [22] that my hand may be always with him, and that my arm may make him strong.” (R) 26 [27] “He shall say of me, ‘You are my father, my God, the rock, my savior.’ 27 [28] And I will make him the first-born, highest of the kings of the earth.” (R)

G O S P E L

David is a man who is sensible enough to recognize that feeding a hungry army takes precedence over a law that forbids work, in this case, in the form of harvesting on the Sabbath. How we honor the Sabbath by keeping it free from work so we can devote more time to God is up to us. The busiest day of the week for a priest is Sunday. The law is there to ensure that we have time to grow in our relationship with the Lord.

Mark 2: 23-28
23 As Jesus was passing through a field of grain on the sabbath, his disciples began to make a path while picking the heads of grain. 24 At this the Pharisees said to him, “Look, why are they doing what is unlawful on the sabbath?” 25 He said to them, “Have you never read what David did when he was in need and he and his companions were hungry? 26 How he went into the house of God when Abiathar was high priest and ate the bread of offering that only the priests could lawfully eat, and shared it with his companions?” 27 Then he said to them, “The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. 28 That is why the Son of Man is lord even of the sabbath.”

my reflections
think: When we face disappointment, let us believe that things can only get better.

Saint John dE RibERa

Saint John de Ribera, born on March 20, 1532 at Seville, Spain, was the son of Peter de Ribera, a devout Christian, a viceroy of Naples in Italy and the Duke of Alcala in Spain.

He was educated at the University of Salamanca where he later served as a professor of Theology. In 1557, John was ordained priest.

John was highly regarded by Pope Pius V and King Philip II of Spain. For over 40 years, he reluctantly served as bishop of Badajoz (1562) then as archbishop of Valencia (1568). Years after, King Philip III appointed him viceroy of the province where he established the College of Corpus Christi.

John de Ribera died from an illness on January 6, 1611 in Valencia, Spain. He was beatified on September 18, 1796 and was canonized by Pope John XXIII on June 12, 1960.

23 January
Wednesday

TODAY'S READINGS:
-----------------

MiRROR

“Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out and his hand was restored. – Mark 3:5

Sometimes I wonder, what’s the point of the story on David and Goliath? Is it for comic relief?
I can imagine David (portrayed by Elijah Wood) trying to walk in Saul’s heavy armor. Or Goliath (portrayed by Shaquille O’Neal) hitting the ground cross-eyed after being hit. Would it work, I wonder?
But instead, here’s what I noticed going back and forth between today’s readings: First, the Israelites had a withered heart. They couldn’t do anything because they were full of fear of Goliath. Second, the man in the Gospel had a withered hand that couldn’t do anything. He was full of sickness.
In the First Reading, a courageous boy used death to free their withered heart from the clutches of fear. In the Gospel, a courageous Man — in full view of the Pharisees during a Sabbath — used life and healed the withered hand from sickness.
Old story, new story. Or is it the same story? This is called biblical typology. New Testament being foreshadowed in the Old. Eve foreshadows Mary, Adam foreshadows Jesus, Pharaoh foreshadows King Herod. What do the Gospel readings echo in your life today? Jomar Hilario

REFLECTION:

There’s more to the Bible than what we read. Take 10 minutes to reflect on its stories. Make it a habit.

Lord, grant me wisdom to understand and apply Your Word.

------------------

Warfare aGainst evil

Jesus “works” on the Sabbath once again and annoys His opponents that they plot to kill Him. The Pharisees wondered why the sick man could not come the next day and why Jesus, as a Teacher in the synagogue, did not tell him to observe the Law of God and wait until the holy day was over. Sickness was seen as caused by demons, by evil forces. In other words, this man with a withered hand had, according to contemporary belief, been afflicted and maimed by evil forces. The Greek word Mark uses indicates that his hand was not withered from birth but that some illness had taken the strength from him.
Jesus came into this world to fight and overcome evil, as Mark portrays His whole ministry as an ongoing warfare against Satan and his demons. In the synagogue, evil had no place. Jesus intends only good for the Lord’s day, something God must approve of wholeheartedly. He puts the Pharisees in a dilemma by asking them whether it is allowed to do good or to do evil on the Sabbath. The answer was obvious but they refused to agree with Jesus. For Jesus, the most important thing was not the correct performance of a ritual and the legalistic observance of a law, but the merciful and loving help given to a person who is in need.
Evil was, is and remains a powerful presence. We rarely confront the devil directly in dramatic situations like in an exorcism. We encounter evil when people quarrel, when tensions arise, when actions or words hurt someone.
But evil can also look good – as the fruit looked enticing to Eve in Paradise. Let us not be fooled by evil that looks good — it is a power out to destroy us.
As long as we see evil for what it is and face it “in the name of Jesus,” we will be victorious to continue the ministry of the Lord in our time. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:

Am I afraid of facing evil around me or in myself? Where should I start to be stronger against evil tendencies?

Lord, the example of Jesus who confronts the effects of evil without hesitation, and the example of David, who did not shy away from a powerful evil enemy, encourages me to be more courageous in my warfare against evil. Giveme the strength to overcome my fear and cowardice.

St. Ildephonsus, bishop, pray for us.

----------------------

1st READING

David’s trust in the Lord in the face of his battle with Goliath is the stuff that every young boy revels in – fighting against unbeatable odds and coming out on top. Don’t we all dream of doing this at least once in our lives? I know I continue to have this dream. One of the problems with fulfilling it is that we have to take the risk of going into battle against those odds. Are you willing to do that?

1 Samuel 17:32 -33, 37, 40-51
32 David spoke to Saul “Let your majesty not lose courage. I am at your service to go and fight this Philistine.” 33 But Saul answered David, “You cannot go up against this Philistine and fight with him, for you are only a youth, while he has been a warrior from his youth.” 37 David continued “The LORD, who delivered me from the claws of the lion and the bear, will also keep me safe from the clutches of this Philistine.” Saul answered David, “Go! the LORD will be with you.” 40 Then, staff in hand, David selected five smooth stones from the wadi and put them in the pocket of his shepherd’s bag. With his sling also ready to hand, he approached the Philistine. 41 With his shield-bearer marching before him, the Philistine also advanced closer and closer to David. 42 When he had sized David up, and seen that he was youthful, and ruddy, and handsome in appearance, he held him in contempt. 43 The Philistine said to David, “Am I a dog that you come against me with a staff?” Then the Philistine cursed David by his gods 44 and said to him, “Come here to me, and I will leave your flesh for the birds of the air and the beasts of the field.” 45 David answered him, “You come against me with sword and spear and scimitar, but I come against you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel that you have insulted. 46 Today the LORD shall deliver you into my hand; I will strike you down and cut off your head. This very day I will leave your corpse and the corpses of the Philistine army for the birds of the air and the beasts of the field; thus the whole land shall learn that Israel has a God. 47 All this multitude, too, shall learn that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves. For the battle is the LORD’s, and he shall deliver you into our hands.” 48 The Philistine then moved to meet David at close quarters, while David ran quickly toward the battle line in the direction of the Philistine. 49 David put his hand into the bag and took out a stone, hurled it with the sling, and struck the Philistine on the forehead. The stone embedded itself in his brow, and he fell prostrate on the ground. 50 Thus David overcame the Philistine with sling and stone; he struck the Philistine mortally, and did it without a sword. 51 Then David ran and stood over him; with the Philistine’s own sword which he drew from its sheath he dispatched him and cut off his head. When they saw that their hero was dead, the Philistines took to flight.

P S A L M

Psalm 144: 1b, 2, 9-10

R: Blessed be the Lord, my Rock!

1 Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. (R) 2 My refuge and my fortress, my stronghold, my deliverer, my shield, in whom I trust, who subdues peoples under me. (R) 9 O God, I will sing a new song to you; with a ten-stringed lyre I will chant your praise, 10 you who give victory to kings, and deliver David, your servant from the evil sword. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus is not at all concerned with healing people on the Sabbath. He knows that the Sabbath ruling is directed towards making time for people to spend with God and what better way to create an encounter with Him than to heal the man’s withered hand. It is only the blind or legalistic who would fail to see this truth. Unfortunately, there are many such people around both in Jesus’ time and today. Let us pray that we will always be compassionate in our dealings with others.

Mark 3: 1-6
1 Jesus entered the synagogue. There was a man there who had a withered hand. 2 They watched him closely to see if he would cure him on the Sabbath so that they might accuse him. 3 He said to the man with the withered hand, “Come up here before us.” 4 Then he said to them, “Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath rather than to do evil, to save life rather than to destroy it?” But they remained silent. 5 Looking around at them with anger and grieved at their hardness of heart, he said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out and his hand was restored. 6 The Pharisees went out and immediately took counsel with the Herodians against him to put him to death.
Luke 9-

my reflections
think: One of the problems in fulfilling our dream of winning against unbeatable odds is that we have to take the risk. Are we willing to that?

January
Thursday

-------------

THE EXTRAORDiNARY LiFE!

He had cured many and, as a result, those who had diseases were pressing upon him to touch him. And whenever unclean spirits saw him they would fall down before him and shout, “You are the Son of God.” – Mark 3:10-11

How do you keep a full grown, invincible elephant corralled after using it for a day’s work. Tie it to a tree? Well, he’ll either break the rope or uproot the tree!
But smart Indians know. While the elephant is still young, they tie his leg to a rope strong enough to withstand his pull and tie the other end to a tree strong enough to endure his power. As this happens after every working day of his young life, the elephant gets accustomed to being defeated by the rope and the tree. Eventually, he accepts that “unbreakable” bondage. Even as he grows to his gigantic potential, he remains stuck, ignorant of his unconquerable power that could set him free.
In this first episode of the disciples’ ministry, Jesus ushered them to the extraordinary life. It’s as if He was saying, “Break free from the bondage called ‘ordinary living’! Put no limits to the miracles of God in your life and ministry! Attempt big things for God. Dream big dreams and give nothing less than your all. You’ve got the power. The extraordinary life is your calling!”
Jesus says the same thing to us today. Jon Escoto

REFLECTION:

Has your life been ordinary? Are you thirsting for the Extraordinary Life? Today is the day to find it. Let’s get it on!

Lord, I’m tired of the ordinary life. Come and visit my life and lead me to the extraordinary life!

------------------

the Measure of love is to love Without Measure

These were written by St. Francis de Sales, bishop of Geneva and spiritual director of St. Jeanne de Chantal and of many others, whom the Church honors today.
Francis de Sales saw the Reformation as a call to conversion and a more intense effort to achieve holiness. His preaching and teaching became known because of his love, moderation and balance. Unlike many other spiritual guides, he did not impose harsh disciplines or force the faithful to make a drastic choice between good and evil. For him, the intensity of one’s charity was more important than self-mortification. This reflects the ministry of Jesus who reached out and called all He met, as we read in today’s gospel that summarized all commandments into “love of God and love of neighbor.”
The only complaint against Francis came from rigorist critics who said that he made it appear all too easy to become a saint. While most spiritual books were for clerics and nuns, he addressed his books Introduction to the Devout Life and Treatise on the Love of God also to laypeople. Francis taught that one could become a saint wherever one lives, not only in a convent but also in the world. He wrote, “Devotion is to be practiced differently by the noble, the worker, the servant, the prince, the widow, the young girl, the wife... the practice of devotion has to be adapted to the strength, activities, and duties of each individual…”
Time and effort are needed to achieve genuine and profound love of God. We get easily discouraged when we commit the same mistake again. To this St. Francis says, “Alas, poor heart, here we are, fallen into the pit again we were so firmly resolved to avoid! Well, we must get up again and leave it forever.” Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:

Do I get easily discouraged because of my repeated failures? Am I gentle and understanding like Jesus and St. Francis when I meet erring fellowmen?

Lord, today I thank You for giving the Church a man like St. Francis de Sales. Reading his words is as if You were speaking to me with Your gentle compassion and understanding. Make me practice these gentle words and be also more understanding, gentle and compassionate with my fellowmen.

St. Francis de Sales, bishop, pray for us.

------------------

1st READING

Jealousy is a very destructive emotion to allow into one’s life. Whether we like it or not, it always comes as a choice we make and never anything forced upon us. It is a grace to be satisfied with what we have and not to pine after the wealth or gifts of others. It is also the only way to happiness and peace.

1 Samuel 18:6-9; 19:1-7
6 When David and Saul approached (on David’s return after slaying the Philistine), women came out from each of the cities of Israel to meet King Saul, singing and dancing, with tambourines, joyful songs, and sistrums. 7 The women played and sang “Saul has slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands.” 8 Saul was very angry and resentful of the song, for he thought “They give David ten thousands, but only thousands to me. All that remains for him is the kingship.” 9 And from that day on, Saul was jealous of David. 19: 1 Saul discussed his intention of killing David with his son Jonathan and with all his servants. But Saul’s son Jonathan, who was very fond of David, 2 told him “My father Saul is trying to kill you. Therefore, please be on your guard tomorrow morning; get out of sight and remain in hiding. 3 I, however, will go out and stand beside my father in the countryside where you are, and will speak to him about you. If I learn anything, I will let you know.” 4 Jonathan then spoke well of David to his father Saul, saying to him, “Let not your majesty sin against his servant David, for he has committed no offense against you, but has helped you very much by his deeds. 5 When he took his life in his hands and slew the Philistine, and the LORD brought about a great victory for all Israel through him, you were glad to see it. Why, then, should you become guilty of shedding innocent blood by killing David without cause?” 6 Saul heeded Jonathan’s plea and swore, “As the LORD lives, he shall not be killed.” 7 So Jonathan summoned David and repeated the whole conversation to him. Jonathan then brought David to Saul, and David served him as before.

P S A L M

Psalm 56: 2-3, 9-10a, 10b-11, 12-14
R: In God I trust; I shall not fear.
1 [2] Have mercy on me, O God, for men trample upon me; all the day they press their attack against me. 2 [3] My adversaries trample upon me all the day; yes, many fight against me. (R) 8 [9] My wanderings you have counted; my tears are stored in your flask; are they not recorded in your book? 9 [10] Then do my enemies turn back, when I call upon you. (R) Now I know that God is with me. 10 [11] In God, in whose promise I glory, 11 [12] in God I trust without fear; what can flesh do against me? (R) 12 [13] I am bound, O God, by vows to you; your thank offerings I will fulfill. 13 [14] For you have rescued me from death, my feet, too, from stumbling; that I may walk before God in the light of the living. (R)

G O S P E L

Even when Jesus seeks to retreat away from the people, they seek Him out and come to Him. It must have been very frustrating for Him but we never see this expressed in His dealings with them. Jesus is always careful to hear people out and to do what He can for them. Let us pray that we will also have the grace to think the best of others’ intentions and seek to serve when they ask for our help.

Mark 3:7-12
7 Jesus withdrew toward the sea with his disciples. A large number of people followed from Galilee and from Judea. 8 Hearing what he was doing, a large number of people came to him also from Jerusalem, from Idumea, from beyond the Jordan, and from the neighborhood of Tyre and Sidon. 9 He told his disciples to have a boat ready for him because of the crowd, so that they would not crush him. 10 He had cured many and, as a result, those who had diseases were pressing upon him to touch him. 11 And whenever unclean spirits saw him they would fall down before him and shout, “You are the Son of God.” 12 He warned them sternly not to make him known.
Luke 3- 6
my reflections
think: Jesus is always careful to hear people out and do what He can for them. Let us pray that we will also have the grace to think the best of other’s intentions and seek to serve when they ask for our help.

Dear friends,

This Friday, work with Him at your side.

Praying for you,
kerstinne25

January
Friday

-------------

Feast of the Conversion of Paul

HEALiNg WORDS, HEALiNg TOUCH

“They will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” – Mark 16:18

In September 2006, my doctor discovered a cyst in my right ovary. For weeks, the pain was unbearable but a surgery was not yet necessary. The amiable female doctor told me — with a bit of humor — to pray for an early menopause so that the cyst would shrink naturally.
Family and friends prayed for my healing. But deep within me, I had the audacity to tell the Lord, “If this is Your way of slowly taking me to my true Home, then so be it.” I was ready, if that was His will.
The pain continued. One day, a friend set me up for a healing session with another friend who has a gift of healing. It was a very solemn session, just the two of us, and the words she spoke seemed like they were coming from Jesus Himself. “Tess, I love you and I am healing you right now.” Her warm hands suddenly stopped where the cyst was, with more pressure now, unlike minutes before when her hands just seemed to brush off my body like a gentle breeze.
The pain has not returned since then. The Lord has spoken, therefore, I believe. Tess Atienza

REFLECTION:

God speaks to us every day. Do we listen — and believe?

Grant me, O God, the grace to hold on to Your words, no matter what.

-----------------------

onGoinG Conversion

When we hear the word “conversion,” we usually think of a great sinner who abandons a sinful life and becomes a good person. Paul was actually not a bad person. When he persecuted the Church, he did it out of zeal for God and his religion. He just did not know yet who Christ was and that He had not come to abolish or destroy the traditional faith, but that He brought more profound insights to who God is.
We are called to an ongoing conversion or “metanoia.” Even the saints, who certainly were already good Christians, knew that ongoing conversion was necessary. Two kinds of “turning” are required— a turning away from the present way of life, and a turning to a new way of life, to a new understanding of who God is and what Christ wants us to do. Turning away from the present way of life entails a challenge. We have to adjust; we do not know exactly what the next day will bring, which might cause anxiety and fear. Turning away from and turning to is an adventure, as it was in the life of St. Paul. Never in his wildest dreams would he have thought that he would travel more than 4,000 kilometers by land and sea to preach to countless people in many countries. His readiness to leave the past behind and entrust himself totally to the challenging plans of God kept him alive, strong and, excited until the last moment of his life.
We easily fall into a dull routine both in our daily and religious life. Just think of your prayers. Has your way of praying changed since your childhood? No wonder that you find prayer boring. Have you adapted to our mass where we are invited to participate, sing and pray together? No wonder you think you “don’t get anything out of it.” When you hear the Gospel, do you listen or entertain other thoughts because you “know that already”?
We are “ good Christians” but still need to turn away from routine and turn to a new, exciting future guided by God’s Spirit who is always full of surprises. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:

Read the reflection once more and answer the questions you find there.

Lord, let your Holy Spirit excite me so that I am ready to leave my old ways behind, that I get out of my routine, and have the courage to be open for wherever Your Spirit will guide me.

St. Amarinus, martyr, pray for us.

---------------

1st READING

There is no greater story in the Scriptures that has the drama as the conversion of Saul. He is present and probably instrumental in the death of Stephen. And then a few chapters later, we find him undergoing conversion to Jesus. His story demonstrates without a doubt that God has the power to bring about the salvation of anyone He chooses.

Acts 22:3-16 (or Acts 9:1-22 )
3 “I am a Jew, born in Tarsus in Cilicia, but brought up in this city. At the feet of Gamaliel I was educated strictly in our ancestral law and was zealous for God, just as all of you are today. 4 I persecuted this Way to death, binding both men and women and delivering them to prison. 5 Even the high priest and the whole council of elders can testify on my behalf. For from them I even received letters to the brothers and set out for Damascus to bring back to Jerusalem in chains for punishment those there as well. 6 “On that journey as I drew near to Damascus, about noon a great light from the sky suddenly shone around me. 7 I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?’ 8 I replied, ‘Who are you, sir?’ And he said to me, ‘I am Jesus the Nazorean whom you are persecuting.’ 9 My companions saw the light but did not hear the voice of the one who spoke to me. 10 I asked, ‘What shall I do, sir?’ The Lord answered me, ‘Get up and go into Damascus, and there you will be told about everything appointed for you to do.’ 11 Since I could see nothing because of the brightness of that light, I was led by hand by my companions and entered Damascus. 12 “A certain Ananias, a devout observer of the law, and highly spoken of by all the Jews who lived there, 13 came to me and stood there and said, ‘Saul, my brother, regain your sight.’ And at that very moment I regained my sight and saw him. 14 Then he said, ‘The God of our ancestors designated you to know his will, to see the Righteous One, and to hear the sound of his voice; 15 for you will be his witness before all to what you have seen and heard. 16 Now, why delay? Get up and have yourself baptized and your sins washed away, calling upon his name.’”

P S A L M

Psalm 117: 1bc, 2
R: Go out to all the world and tell the Good News.
1 Praise the LORD, all you nations; glorify him, all you peoples! (R) 2 For steadfast is his kindness toward us, and the fidelity of the LORD endures forever. (R)

G O S P E L

Let us reflect upon how Paul’s life becomes a model for us all to follow. He gives his life in the service of the Gospel simply because he is utterly convinced that there is nothing better he can do with it. What a wonderful grace this is. We should pray for a similar conviction. But remember: With great blessings and grace come much responsibility.

Mark 16: 15- 18
15 Jesus appeared to the Eleven and said to them, “Go into the whole world and proclaim the gospel to every creature. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved; whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 These signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will drive out demons, they will speak new languages. 18 They will pick up serpents with their hands, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm them. They will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”
Luke 7- 0
my reflections
think: Paul gives his life in the service of the Gospel simply because he is utterly convinced that there is nothing better he can do with it. What a wonderful grace this is.

January
Saturday

-------------------

Memorial of Sts. Timothy and Titus, bishops

A SPiRiTUAL giFT

For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. – 2 Timothy 1:6

I was baptized in the Holy Spirit 13 years ago and one of the people who laid hands on me and prayed for me was my cousin Tetel. Even though I had attended the CLP for 10 weeks and began to appreciate our community’s way of life, I still didn’t know what to expect during the outpouring of the Spirit.
Tetel simply explained to me, “It’s like someone’s giving you a gift. Just place your hands, palms up, on your knees and be ready to receive the special gift God wants to give.” And what an extraordinary gift it was. As they prayed over me, I felt an unexplainable warmth envelope me. I heard someone encourage me to speak, to praise and worship the Lord. I spoke but it was like listening to someone else praying. I vaguely remember mumbling incoherently and the unfamiliar words kept flowing from my lips as if they had a will of their own.
The gift of tongues was what the Holy Spirit bestowed on me that night. Through God’s generosity and with the prayers sincerely offered by Tetel and the sisters, I received a most precious gift that remains afire within me to this day. Now, it’s my turn to share this gift with others. Dina Pecaña

REFLECTION:
Do you keep aflame the gifts of the Holy Spirit through prayer and service?

Come Holy Spirit with Your light, with Your grace, with Your strength, with Your consolation, with Your charity, that I may be made worthy to live a life of holy love.

-----------------
saints tiMothy and titus

Sts. Timothy and Titus were the closest collaborators of St. Paul. “Timothy” is a Greek name which means “who honors God.” Paul entrusted him with important missions and saw him as a sort of “alter ego,” as can be seen in his great praise of him in the Letter to the Philippians: “I have no one like him, who will be genuinely anxious for your welfare.” Timothy was born of a Jewish mother, Eunice, and a pagan father. His grandmother was mentioned in the Bible as Lois.
When Paul passed through Lystra at the start of his second missionary journey, he chose Timothy as his companion because “he was well spoken by the brethren at Lystra and Iconium.” Together with Paul and Silas, Timothy went across Asia Minor to Troas, and on to Macedonia, Athens and Corinth. From Ephesus, Paul wrote to Philemon and to the Philippians, and both letters were written together with Timothy. Timothy was also co-writer of the Second Letter to the Corinthians and became the first bishop of Ephesus.
As for Titus, we know that he was Greek by birth. Paul took him to Jerusalem on the occasion of the Apostolic Council, in which the preaching of the Gospel to pagans was solemnly accepted without imposing upon them the precepts of the Mosaic Law. In his letter to him, Paul describes Titus as “my true child in our common faith.” After Timothy went to Corinth, Paul sent Titus with the task to call that rebellious community to obedience. Titus brought peace to the Church of Corinth and Paul wrote: “But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, and not only with his coming but also by the comfort with which he was comforted in you...”
Paul used collaborators in the development of his missions. He relied on trustworthy persons who shared effort and responsibilities. Paul knew how to delegate. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:

How can I collaborate more with the apostolate of the Church – in my parish, in my community, in my family and at the place of my work?

Lord, make me, like Sts. Timothy and Titus, a willing collaborator in the missionary work of the Church and bring others through my good deeds to You.

Sts. Timothy and Titus, bishops, pray for us.

--------------
1st READING

Age is never a barrier to serving the Lord. I have personally known children as young as six years old who have been instrumental in the conversion of others. All that we need to do is open our lives to the grace of the Holy Spirit and be obedient to all that He asks us to do. This is not easy and calls for great faith. It is rare that good things come easily in life.

2 Samuel 1:1-4, 11-12, 19, 23-27 (or 2 Timothy 1:1-8 or Titus 1:1-5 )
1 David returned from his defeat of the Amalekites and spent two days in Ziklag. 2 On the third day a man came from Saul’s camp, with his clothes torn and dirt on his head. Going to David, he fell to the ground in homage. 3 David asked him, “Where do you come from?” He replied, “I have escaped from the Israelite camp.” 4 “Tell me what happened,” David bade him. He answered that the soldiers had fled the battle and that many of them had fallen and were dead, among them Saul and his son Jonathan. 11 David seized his garments and rent them, and all the men who were with him did likewise. 12 They mourned and wept and fasted until evening for Saul and his son Jonathan, and for the soldiers of the LORD of the clans of Israel, because they had fallen by the sword. 19 “Alas! The glory of Israel, Saul, slain upon your heights; how can the warriors have fallen! 23 Saul and Jonathan, beloved and cherished, separated neither in life nor in death, swifter than eagles, stronger than lions! 24 Women of Israel, weep over Saul, who clothed you in scarlet and in finery, who decked your attire with ornaments of gold. 25 “How can the warriors have fallen — in the thick of the battle, slain upon your heights! 26 “I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother! most dear have you been to me; More precious have I held love for you than love for women. 27 “How can the warriors have fallen, the weapons of war have perished!”

P S A L M

Psalm 80:2-3, 5-7 (or Psalm 96:1-2a, 2b-3, 7-8, 10)
R: Let us see your face, Lord, and we shall be saved.
2 O shepherd of Israel, hearken, O guide of the flock of Joseph! From your throne upon the cherubim, shine forth 3 before Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh. Rouse your power, and come to save us. (R) 5 O LORD of hosts, how long will you burn with anger while your people pray? 6 You have fed them with the bread of tears and given them tears to drink in ample measure. 7 You have left us to be fought over by our neighbors, and our enemies mock us. (R)

G O S P E L

Once again Jesus is thought to be a madman. Preaching the Gospel will often solicit this reaction from people precisely because of it’s “crazy” principles. Are we willing to stand up for our faith at any cost?

Mark 3:20-21 (or Luke 10:1-9)
20 He came home. Again [the] crowd gathered, making it impossible for them even to eat. 21 When his relatives heard of this they set out to seize him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.”
Luke - 4
my reflections
think: Age is never a barrier to serving the Lord. All that we need to do is open our lives to the grace of the Holy Spirit and be obedient to all that He asks us to do.

Dear FRIENDS,
Each Sunday is a Mini-Easter. Show that Jesus is alive today!

Praying for you,

kers

-------------
January
Sunday

THE START OF SOMETHiNg big

When he heard that John had been arrested, he withdrew to Galilee… – Matthew 4:12

I poured out my energy in presenting our business to a roomful of people. Despite my passion, that night was futile. Nobody was interested to join us. I was disappointed and my wife and I went home feeling discouraged.
That uneventful meeting in Laguna turned out to be one of the best learning experiences in our lives. Today, we continue to conduct meetings all over the Philippines and abroad. For the past three years, we’ve been growing by more than 100 percent in business volume but, more importantly, in our faith walk with the Lord.
The Lord must have felt the same way in today’s Gospel. After dealing with the devil after a long fast, He hears of His cousin’s death and withdraws to Galilee. From a human perspective, it was a time to literally get away and deal with the exhaustion and sadness of these events. This He did but, in the latter portion of the reading, it marked the beginning of His ministry of proclaiming God’s kingdom and recruiting the future leaders of His Church. Difficult times are never fun. They happen for a reason. Consequently, it can be the start of something big. Ariel Driz

REFLECTION:
Do I go through hard times with the eyes of faith? Am I convinced that He has a plan?

Lord Jesus, I pray for a trusting heart to see Your plan when I am faced with challenges and disappointments. Amen.

--------------

on division and unity in the ChurCh

It saddens me to realize that human nature has changed very little throughout the centuries. And when it has, it is often been a change for the worse rather than for the better.
The Christians in Corinth, who were converted and baptized by St. Paul himself, were forming divisions and factions. Pride had entered the community. Some Christians looked down on their leaders. Others were fans of Apollos of Alexandria who was more eloquent than Paul. Others coming from abroad looked down on both groups because St. Peter himself had instructed them. St. Paul found this a very dangerous development, because human pride and weakness was spreading again among those who had “died with Christ and risen to new life with Him,” and had been “clothed with Christ” in baptism.
What happened in Corinth is happening today in many parishes, parish organizations and charismatic communities. Pride continues to destroy all efforts for unity. This reminds us about the horrible divisions that split the Church of Christ into countless churches, denominations and sects, even though Jesus had prayed during the Last Supper “that all may be one.” These divisions are a scandal to the followers of Christ and an obstacle to the conversion of non-Christians. As one spiritual writer put it, “The Roman soldiers nailed His [Jesus’] human body to the cross. We, His professed lovers and followers, have torn His mystical body apart. We have been more cruel to Him than the ignorant pagan soldiers.”
The Week of Prayer for Christian Unity is celebrated every year from January 18 to 25; but our prayer for unity has to go on throughout the year. We must work to overcome all division and disunity among us wherever we are. This will surely have an effect on the healing of division among the churches. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:

Did I contribute to divisions through my words, attitude and bias? How can I contribute to unity among the people I deal with in daily life?

Lord, You desired that all may be one. Too often have I contributed to divisions due to my pride. Forgive me, Lord, and help me to become more involved in fostering unity among the people around me, especially in the religious organizations where I am a part of.

St. Angela Merici, virgin, pray for us.

-------------

1st READING

There comes a time in each of our lives when we get caught up in some sort of darkness – hopefully it is not too serious – and likewise, there is a time when we realize our mistakes. This is the critical moment of conversion. It is here that our faith will be made or broken. Will we repent and get out of the darkness or are we going to choose to remain captive to it? The choice is ours. Let us pray that we have the grace to choose well.

Isaiah 8: 23–9:3
23 First he degraded the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali; but in the end he has glorified the seaward road, the land west of the Jordan, the district of the Gentiles. Anguish has taken wing, dispelled is darkness for there is no gloom where but now there was distress. 9: 1 The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; upon those who dwelt in the land of gloom a light has shone. 2 You have brought them abundant joy and great rejoicing, as they rejoice before you as at the harvest, as men make merry when dividing spoils. 3 For the yoke that burdened them, the pole on their shoulder, and the rod of their taskmaster you have smashed, as on the day of Midian.

P S A L M

Psalm 27:1, 4, 13-14 ( 1a)
R: The Lord is my light and my salvation.
1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom should I fear? The LORD is my life’s refuge; of whom should I be afraid? (R) 4 One thing I ask of the LORD; this I seek, to dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, that I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD and contemplate his temple. (R) 13 I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD in the land of the living. 14 Wait for the LORD with courage; be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD. (R)

2nd READING

Factions tend to destroy the unity of the Spirit of God. Having said that, it is important not to see this as denying the need people have for smaller groupings in which to share their lives more intimately. The factions we spoke of initially are those directed towards creating enmity between people and promoting individual interests over and above the interest of the entire community. Humility is always a key to the good health of any community.

Corinthians 1: 10- 13, 17
10 I urge you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree in what you say, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and in the same purpose. 11 For it has been reported to me about you, my brothers, by Chloe’s people, that there are rivalries among you. 12 I mean that each of you is saying, “I belong to Paul,” or “I belong to Apollos,” or “I belong to Kephas,” or “I belong to Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with the wisdom of human eloquence, so that the cross of Christ might not be emptied of its meaning.

G O S P E L

There comes a time in the life of any community when leadership has to be passed on to the next generation. We see that process here. John’s ministry is complete and it is time for Jesus to come to the fore and fulfill His destiny as prophet and preacher. John has been faithful to the will of God and he knows it. In John’s Gospel, he even tells his disciples that it is time for Jesus to “increase” and for him to fade out of the picture. Let us pray for all leaders in the Church that they will be as humble as John when it comes to their turn to hand over the reigns of leadership to another.

Matthew 4:12-23
12 When he heard that John had been arrested, he withdrew to Galilee. 13 He left Nazareth and went to live in Capernaum by the sea, in the region of Zebulun and Naphtali, 14 that what had been said through Isaiah the prophet might be fulfilled: 15 “Land of Zebulun and land of Naphtali, the way to the sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles, 16 the people who sit in darkness have seen a great light, on those dwelling in a land overshadowed by death light has arisen.” 17 From that time on, Jesus began to preach and say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” 18 As he was walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon who is called Peter, and his brother Andrew, casting a net into the sea; they were fishermen. 19 He said to them, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.” 20 At once they left their nets and followed him. 21 He walked along from there and saw two other brothers, James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They were in a boat, with their father Zebedee, mending their nets. He called them, 22 and immediately they left their boat and their father and followed him. 23 He went around all of Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and curing every disease and illness among the people.

my reflections
think: Will we repent and get out of the darkness or are we going to choose to remain captive to it? The choice is ours.

SABBATH PAUSE
My weekly time with God
THANK YOU LIST

Last edited:
January
Monday

_________

A kEY TO UNiTY

“If a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand.” – Mark 3:25

“Ayoko na!” exclaimed an elderly parish servant as she approached me. Earlier in the day, she solicited donations for food from another “servant” who, instead of helping in the work of evangelization, bad-mouthed the ongoing parish activity. The elderly servant was so affected by the criticisms that she decided to stop serving that day.
Bickering among people who are suppose to be “servants of the Lord” divide and break the community. All of these squabbles and tiffs are traceable to the five-letter word spelled P-R-I-D-E. Self centeredness, vainglory, rivalry, envy — all these are children of pride. That’s why the book of Sirach calls it “the reservoir of sin” (Sirach 10:13). Because of these, the unity and relationship that took so long a time to build, are destroyed in an instant.
Today’s passage in Mark 3:25 warns us that as Christians, we should keep the unity of the body of Christ. And I believe that humility is one of the keys to unity.
The Bible tells us in Philippians 2:3, “Do nothing out of selfishness or out of vainglory, rather humbly regard others as more important than yourselves.” Danny Tariman

REFLECTION:

Do we easily see the wrong in others when we are not the “center of activity”?

Lord, teach me to be humble and to remain humble.

-------------------------------

the duMB ox

Today, the Church honors the Dominican St. Thomas Aquinas. He became an intellectual giant under the tutelage of one of the greatest medieval thinkers, St. Albert the Great. Thomas seldom opened his mouth. His classmates thought he was a simpleton and teased him by calling him “Dumb Ox.”
In Italy, Thomas wrote the Catena Aurea to help the clergy better understand the Word of God. This work was followed by the Summa Contra Gentiles to provide doctrinal material for missionaries to the Muslims. He composed the texts for the new feast of Corpus Christi. While teaching at the university of Paris, he justified the use of the “pagan” Aristotle’s philosophy in the study of theology, wrote his commentaries on several works of Aristotle and the greater part of his most famous work, the Summa Theologiae. Then he died at the age of 49. Throughout his life, Thomas was totally dedicated to the ministry of the Word, nourished by intense prayer and mortification.
Thomas never finished his Summa. During a Mass on the feast of St. Nicholas, he received an interior revelation. He never spoke about it and no longer did any writing after this experience. He said, “I cannot go on. All that I have written seems to me like so much straw compared to what I have seen and what has been revealed to me.” Thomas’ humility was born out of a deep spirituality. He felt small before the crucifix, before what Christ has done for humankind. He acknowledged that all his wisdom and writing is nothing but a small expression of gratitude for Christ’s work of salvation. Shortly before his death, he received the Eucharist and said, “I receive you, Price of my soul’s redemption. All my studies, my vigils, and my labors have been for love of you.”
From St. Thomas we learn that our successes are due to talents God has given us, talents we develop for the greater glory of God. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:

Am I proud? Do I thank the Lord when I enjoy success? Do I offer my daily work to God?

Lord, thank You for St. Thomas. How often have I been so proud of my successes, how often do I bask in the praise of others – and forget that without You, I would not be able to do anything great. Make me more humble, Lord.

Blessed Amadeus of Lausanne, bishop, pray for us.

-------------------------

1st READING

David’s kingship is affirmed by all the tribes as they come and seek him to reign over them. For all his faults and weaknesses, David is a great king and eventually rules over a huge area of land and accumulates much wealth. One of his greatest strengths is his willingness to repent when he realizes his fault in a matter. Let us remember that repentance is a sign of strength, not weakness.

2 Samuel 5: 1-7, 10
1 All the tribes of Israel came to David in Hebron and said “Here we are, your bone and your flesh. 2 In days past, when Saul was our king, it was you who led the Israelites out and brought them back. And the LORD said to you, ‘You shall shepherd my people Israel and shall be commander of Israel.’ ” 3 When all the elders of Israel came to David in Hebron, King David made an agreement with them there before the LORD, and they anointed him king of Israel. 4 David was thirty years old when he became king, and he reigned for forty years 5 seven years and six months in Hebron over Judah, and thirty-three years in Jerusalem over all Israel and Judah. 6 Then the king and his men set out for Jerusalem against the Jebusites who inhabited the region. David was told, “You cannot enter here the blind and the lame will drive you away!” which was their way of saying, “David cannot enter here.” 7 But David did take the stronghold of Zion, which is the City of David. 10 David grew steadily more powerful, for the LORD of hosts was with him.

P S A L M

Psalm 89: 20, 21-22 , 25 -26
R: My faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him.
19 [20] Once you spoke in a vision, and to your faithful ones you said “On a champion I have placed a crown; over the people I have set a youth. (R) 20 [21] “I have found David, my servant; with my holy oil I have anointed him, 21 [22] that my hand may be always with him, and that my arm may make him strong.” (R) 24 [25] “My faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him, and through my name shall his horn be exalted. 25 [26] I will set his hand upon the sea, his right hand upon the rivers.” (R)

G O S P E L

We never need to have a big focus on the devil since he is a defeated entity in our lives. The cross of Jesus has defeated him once and for all. All we have to do is to learn to apply this victory through faith in Jesus. This may sound simple and, in one sense, it
is. However, we seem to make hard work of it more often than not when we rely on our own strength to defeat Satan and not the strength of Jesus.

Mark 3: 22-30
22 The scribes who had come from Jerusalem said, “He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “By the prince of demons he drives out demons.” 23 Summoning them, he began to speak to them in parables, “How can Satan drive out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand; that is the end of him. 27 But no one can enter a strong man’s house to plunder his property unless he first ties up the strong man. Then he can plunder his house. 28 Amen, I say to you, all sins and all blasphemies that people utter will be forgiven them. 29 But whoever blasphemes against the holy Spirit will never have forgiveness, but is guilty of an everlasting sin.” 30 For they had said, “He has an unclean spirit.”

my reflections
think: One of David’s greatest strengths is his willingness to repent when he realizes his fault in a matter. Let us remember that repentance is a sign of strength, not weakness.

January
Tuesday

------------

DON’T LET HiM DOWN

“Whoever does what God wants him to do is my brother, my sister, my mother.” – Mark 3:35

I showed Papa my quiz paper that day and bragged to him that I had the highest score. Papa looked at it and said,” You got two mistakes. Why not make it perfect next time around?” I took it as a challenge. On our mastery test, I reviewed all the lessons and prayed to the Sto. Niño for guidance. I made no mistakes on that test.
Papa was proud of me especially whenever I had an achievement in school. He would call me to sing or even crack jokes in front of his officemates. “This is my daughter,” he’d introduce me. Because my parents were proud of me, I felt I couldn’t put them down.
Jesus said, “Whoever does what God wants him to do is my brother, my sister, my mother.” Jesus affirmed that God is His father. That’s why Jesus didn’t let His Father down and took up His cross. Judith Ann Ros

REFLECTION:
Have I let Jesus down? How?

Grant me fortitude of spirit that I may do the will of our Father no matter what.

-------

the lord’s real relatives

Family ties play a major role in Philippine culture. Coming from Europe where we are more individualistic and don’t care as much about relatives as Filipinos do, I sometimes feel a bit envious. But this close relationship among relatives also has its disadvantages and can become a burden. On the other hand, there is the assurance of help when in need. There are joyful family gatherings and celebrations, which are missed in my country.
The Son of God was born into a human family. John the Baptist was one of His relatives. Mark tells us that Jesus’ relatives did not understand Him. At one point, they came to get Him and bring Him back home because “they thought he was mad.” Why did they not accept Him in His role as teacher? Maybe they felt embarrassed by His new teachings; maybe they sensed that the authorities would intervene and arrest Him as His cousin John was arrested and even beheaded. That would embarass the whole family. Even though Jesus was an Asian, growing up in a culture where family ties were as strong as in the Philippine society, He began to found a new family, a family that was not based on blood relation. “Whoever does the will of God, is my brother, sisters and mother,” He said. Here Jesus emphasizes the superiority of spiritual relationships over close family ties. The extended family of Jesus is based on listening to the Word of God, discerning His will, and then doing what was understood as His will.
The best example is His mother Mary. Mary fulfilled the conditions Jesus had laid down for a true family relationship. She listened attentively to the word of God when the angel related it to her; she said “Yes” to the plans of God; and she acted on it given the opportunity. She is the perfect disciple. Mary teaches us how to be a member of the Lord’s family, how to be a close relative of Jesus. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:

Do I have difficulties in accepting the will of God for me? How do I react? Am I able to accept what I discern to be the will of God and then to do it?

Lord, You called me into the intimacy of Your family. Too often have I stood “outside” because I had difficulties in discerning and doing the will of God. May the example and prayer of Mary help me to become a better member of Your worldwide family.

St. Sabinian, martyr, pray for us.

----------------

1st READING

David’s joy over the blessings the Lord has poured out upon his life knows no bounds to the point of embarrassing one of his wives. Sometimes, in our joy, we will do silly things. But so what? If a moment of silliness becomes the focus of a relationship, there will always be trouble; the focus is awry. Let us pray that we will be able to focus on the things that matter, particularly, in the relationships that are most important in our lives.

2 Samuel 6:12b-15 , 17-19
12 When it was reported to King David that the LORD had blessed the family of Obed-edom and all that belonged to him, David went to bring up the ark of God from the house of Obed-edom into the City of David amid festivities. 13 As soon as the bearers of the ark of the LORD had advanced six steps, he sacrificed an ox and a fatling. 14 Then David, girt with a linen apron, came dancing before the LORD with abandon, 15 as he and all the Israelites were bringing up the ark of the LORD with shouts of joy and to the sound of the horn. 17 The ark of the LORD was brought in and set in its place within the tent David had pitched for it. Then David offered holocausts and peace offerings before the LORD. 18 When he finished making these offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the LORD of hosts. 19 He then distributed among all the people, to each man and each woman in the entire multitude of Israel, a loaf of bread, a cut of roast meat, and a raisin cake. With this, all the people left for their homes.

P S A L M

Psalm 24:7, 8, 9, 10
R: Who is this king of glory? It is the Lord!
7 Lift up, O gates, your lintels; reach up, you ancient portals, that the king of glory may come in! (R) 8 Who is this king of glory? The LORD, strong and mighty, the LORD, mighty in battle. (R) 9 Lift up, O gates, your lintels; reach up, you ancient portals, that the king of glory may come in! (R) 10 Who is this king of glory? The LORD of hosts; he is the king of glory. (R)

G O S P E L

We should never forget the sacrifices our families have made for us to give us the opportunity to be the people we are today. This applies particularly to our mothers who carried us in their wombs and cared for us as toddlers. However, there comes a time when we need to be free of their maternal protection in order to be able to take the risks that are a part of growing up and becoming adults in our own right.

Mark 3:31-35
31 The mother of Jesus and his brothers arrived. Standing outside they sent word to him and called him. 32 A crowd seated around him told him, “Your mother and your brothers and your sisters] are outside asking for you.” 33 But he said to them in reply, “Who are my mother and [my] brothers?” 34 And looking around at those seated in the circle he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 35 For whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother.”

my reflections
think: Let us pray that we will be able to focus on the things that matter, particularly, in the relationships that are most important in our lives.

Last edited:
January
Wednesday

---------------

UNDERSTOOD?

“… they may hear and listen but not understand…” – Mark 4:12

We hear teachers ask this favorite question after every lesson: “Class, do you understand?” And students would usually answer, “Yeeesss, Ma’am!” Both seem to understand each other and all is well — until exam day comes and more than half of the class fails. How come? Because although they have heard and listened, they might not have understood.
Surely, we have heard God’s Word in many ways: at the Mass where the Gospel is read and expounded in homilies, through the catechism or religion subjects taught in schools, through prayer meetings or Bible studies, through retreats and recollections, through parents, relatives, friends, speakers and preachers who must have shared God’s Word one way or another, or through personal readings and encounters.
So why do we still fail? Because we only heard and listened but really did not understand. Or worse, we chose not to understand. Surprisingly, some would even be contented in not understanding at all and hide behind the easy excuse that they didn’t understand.
Do you understand? Alvin Barcelona

REFLECTION:
Did you have the chance to understand God’s word more but chose not to? Do you pray for and cooperate in understanding
God’s messages in your life?

Lord, grant me the grace to listen to your Word and, above all, to understand it and apply it in my daily life. Amen.

--------------------

What Went WronG With God’s Word?

About 2,000 years have passed since God became man in Jesus Christ who did not get tired to proclaim the Good News day after day. Nothing could stop His disciples from contining to spread the teaching of their Master. They were quite successful; Christianity spread relatively fast throughout the ancient world. But today, barely one third of the world’s population knows Christ and follows His teachings. We hear about Christian countries in Europe where churches and seminaries are nearly empty and have to be sold. We know about “Christian” countries where criminality, graft and corruption flourish – in other words where Christian values are not practiced.
Jesus foresaw this already when He told the parable about the sower and the seed. The farmer sows according to the custom of the country; the seed is good – but much of the seed was wasted. We could expect that in the end, the farmer is disappointed because of the poor harvest. But to our surprise, the harvest is still plenty. The apparent “poor harvest” after nearly 2,000 years should not discourage us. The seed, the Word of God, is good. In spite of so many obstacles, nothing can hinder a great harvest in the end. We don’t know how long the world will still last, but God knows. When He assures us of an overwhelming harvest, we should not feel anxious but try more than ever to contribute to that great harvest. We hear the Word of God at least every Sunday during Mass; many read regularly the Bible and so also “hear” God’s Word. How long does it remain in our memory? Isn’t it that once we leave the church, we tend to forget what we heard in the gospel? There we have it: “Satan has come and carried away the Word.”
Realizing these dangers to the seed of the Word of God, we can become more careful and try more than ever to listen well, accept and do what God tells us – as Mary did who taught us yesterday already this important lesson. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:

Which of the obstacles Jesus enumerates in His parable do I discover in my life? Where can I begin to remove these obstacles so that God’s Word brings more fruit in my life?

Lord, Divine Sower, You continuously sow Your Word into my heart. At times it brings fruit, often it does not because of the reasons You point out in the parable. I ask You to send the Holy Spirit to give me the strength to resist even more all those daily obstacles to a good harvest.

St. Bathildis, widow, pray for us.

--------------------

1st READING

David’s desire to build a house for the Lord (to shelter the Ark of the Covenant) is not wrong in itself; but it runs the risk of his leading focus. It is the Lord Himself who has built a house for David – namely a mighty kingdom and a household from which will come (a thousand years later) the Messiah of the world. The Lord wants David to remember that it is He, not David, who is behind his power and success.

2 Samuel 7:4-17
4 That night the LORD spoke to Nathan and said 5 “Go, tell my servant David, ‘Thus says the LORD: Should you build me a house to dwell in? 6 I have not dwelt in a house from the day on which I led the Israelites out of Egypt to the present, but I have been going about in a tent under cloth. 7 In all my wanderings everywhere among the Israelites, did I ever utter a word to any one of the judges whom I charged to tend my people Israel, to ask Why have you not built me a house of cedar?’ 8 “Now then, speak thus to my servant David, ‘The LORD of hosts has this to say: It was I who took you from the pasture and from the care of the flock to be commander of my people Israel. 9 I have been with you wherever you went, and I have destroyed all your enemies before you. And I will make you famous like the great ones of the earth. 10 I will fix a place for my people Israel; I will plant them so that they may dwell in their place without further disturbance. Neither shall the wicked continue to afflict them as they did of old, 11 since the time I first appointed judges over my people Israel. I will give you rest from all your enemies. The LORD also reveals to you that he will establish a house for you. 12 And when your time comes and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up your heir after you, sprung from your loins, and I will make his kingdom firm. 13 It is he who shall build a house for my name. And I will make his royal throne firm forever. 14 I will be a father to him, and he shall be a son to me. And if he does wrong, I will correct him with the rod of men and with human chastisements; 15 but I will not withdraw my favor from him as I withdrew it from your predecessor Saul, whom I removed from my presence. 16 Your house and your kingdom shall endure forever before me; your throne shall stand firm forever.’ ” 17 Nathan reported all these words and this entire vision to David.

P S A L M

Psalm 89:4-5, 27-28, 29-30
R: Forever I will maintain my love for my servant.
3 [4] “I have made a covenant with my chosen one, I have sworn to David my servant 4 [5] I will make your dynasty stand forever and establish your throne through all ages.” (R) 26 [27] “He shall say of me, ‘You are my father, my God, the rock, my savior.’ 27 [28] And I will make him the first-born, highest of the kings of the earth. 28 [29] Forever I will maintain my kindness toward him, and my covenant with him stands firm. 29 [30] I will make his posterity endure forever and his throne as the days of heaven.

G O S P E L

The Church, in her wisdom, always seems to bring up this parable at an appropriate juncture of my life. It is good to be reminded to think about the source of all the blessings we have. It is imperative that we cooperate with the grace of God if we want to experience success. We also need to be reminded once in a while of the need to weed out the sins and false gods in our lives in order that our faith remains on the right track.

Mark 4: 1-20
1 On another occasion he began to teach by the sea. A very large crowd gathered around him so that he got into a boat on the sea and sat down. And the whole crowd was beside the sea on land. 2 And he taught them at length in parables, and in the course of his instruction he said to them, 3 “Hear this! A sower went out to sow. 4 And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Other seed fell on rocky ground where it had little soil. It sprang up at once because the soil was not deep. 6 And when the sun rose, it was scorched and it withered for lack of roots. 7 Some seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it and it produced no grain. 8 And some seed fell on rich soil and produced fruit. It came up and grew and yielded thirty, sixty, and a hundredfold.” 9 He added, “Whoever has ears to hear ought to hear.” 10 And when he was alone, those present along with the Twelve questioned him about the parables. 11 He answered them, “The mystery of the kingdom of God has been granted to you. But to those outside everything comes in parables, 12 so that ‘they may look and see but not perceive, and hear and listen but not understand, in order that they may not be converted and be forgiven.’” 13 Jesus said to them, “Do you not understand this parable? Then how will you understand any of the parables? 14 The sower sows the word. 15 These are the ones on the path where the word is sown. As soon as they hear, Satan comes at once and takes away the word sown in them. 16 And these are the ones sown on rocky ground who, when they hear the word, receive it at once with joy. 17 But they have no root; they last only for a time. Then when tribulation or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. 18 Those sown among thorns are another sort. They are the people who hear the word, 19 but worldly anxiety, the lure of riches, and the craving for other things intrude and choke the word, and it bears no fruit. 20 But those sown on rich soil are the ones who hear the word and accept it and bear fruit thirty and sixty and a hundredfold.”

my reflections
think: The Lord wants us to remember that it is He — not us — who is behind our sucess.

SaintS Julian and baSiliSSa

Saints Julian and Basilissa of the fourth century were husband and wife. In service to the sick and poor, the couple turned their home into a hospital. Saint Julian cared for the men, while his wife cared for the women. The two did this out of love, and not for money or any form of reward. However, not much is known about the couple.

Saint Basilissa died after suffering from great persecutions. Saint Julian, who lived much longer, continued in his service, and he, too, died a martyr.

www.daughtersofstpaul.com

Saint adRian of CantERbuRy

Saint Adrian (635 – 710 A.D.) was born in North Africa. His family fled to Naples, Italy in the mid-640s to escape Arab invasion. He grew up as a Benedictine monk then became abbot of Nerida.

Upon the death of the archbishop of Canterbury, Pope Vitalian appointed him successor. Adrian declined because of his insufficient knowledge in the sciences and in the canons of the church. Instead, he recommended St. Theodorus of Tarsus for the position. The pope agreed but still he was made companion, assistant and adviser of the apostolic archbishop.

On their journey to France, Adrian was stopped by the mayor Ebroin due to suspicions of espionage for the emperor. He was detained in Meaux for a long time before being granted his freedom.

He went back to England in 669 where he was made abbot of the Church of Saints Peter and Paul by Bishop Theodorus. For 39 years, Adrian taught languages, mathematics, poetry, astronomy and Bible study.

After his death on January 9, 710 his tomb was reported to have had several miracles.

www.ewtn.com

www.catholic-forum.com

blESSEd GREGoRio ESCRivano

Blessed Gregorio Escrivano, a native of Logroño, Spain, was one of the martyrs of Brazil.

He was one of the Spanish missionaries sent to Brazil with Jesuit Father Igacio de Azevedo in 1570. The Portuguese flotilla carrying the Jesuits was intercepted by French Huguenot corsairs. All missionaries were slaughtered, including Blessed Gregorio Escrivano who was thrown into the sea.

www.sjweb.info

January
Thursday

-----------------

iN PROPORTiON

He also told them, “Take care what you hear. The measure with which you measure will be measured out to you, and still more will be given to you...” – Mark 4:24

I have a friend named Danny. When he talks, people listen. Once he steps up to the podium, people are suddenly silent. He has this presence and personality that makes you want to hear what he’s going to say. He’s also very humble, and I believe He’s truly anointed. He’s a fantastic leader. I believed these were the reasons why people responded to him. But his theory was much simpler.
I told him once, “Bro, when you talk, people listen.” He answered, “I believe it’s because I also listen when people talk. It comes back to you.”
Basic principle. What you give, you receive in the same measure. What I realized then and there was that, too often, I myself do not give my full attention when someone is speaking. I was convicted, especially after recalling all the times when I felt people didn’t listen to me. And that’s happened a lot.
It’s the same with time and effort. What we put into our relationships is what we will receive. I’ve failed occasionally in this area as well. But I know that there’s always hope for improvement.
My resolution? Give more. George Gabriel

REFLECTION:
Are you getting little? How much do you give?

Lord, You gave all of Yourself. Help me to be more generous.

------------------

st. John BosCo – Model of a Christian educator

Today, the Church honors St. John Bosco, the founder of the Salesians, whose good work we also appreciate very much here in our country. His father died when John was only two years old. Because of financial difficulties it was not easy for his mother to bring him up and give him an education that would guarantee a successful future. But she was a pious woman and gave him a good humanistic and Christian education. What mothers can do – even in times of poverty.
John was ordained a priest at the age of 31 years old. Because of his difficult youth, he focused on the education of young men in a time when industrialization caused many problems especially for young people. As a skilled educator, Don Bosco formulated a system of education which today is still very helpful for our younger generation. For his motto was “Reason, Religion, Kindness.” He summarized his program for the youth with a brief sentence: “The young should know that they are loved.”
Unfortunately, many parents and educators today are not always present and so lessen their impact on the young. Don Bosco once told his boys: “Remember, whatever I am, I am all for you, day and night, morning and evening, at every moment.” He advised educators to love the young as they would love their own sons. One of his students became a saint, St. Dominic Savio, who once told a companion, “Here we make holiness consist in being very happy and in performing our duties as perfectly as possible.”
Don Bosco founded the Society of St. Francis de Sales. He sent out missionaries, especially to Latin America. He was known for his humor and inner joy.
We thank God for such a great saint, educator and model for all educators and especially for parents. Fr. Rudy Horst

Reflection Question:
What can I do to spread the ideas of Don Bosco among my relatives and friends?

Lord, today I pray for our educators, especially for all parents. May they realize their great responsibility and privilege to form their children for a better future. May they do it with love and kindness, as St. John Bosco did so well.

St. Aidan, bishop, pray for us.

------------------------

1st READING

God promises David that his lineage will endure. The Messiah will come from the house of David. What a tremendous honor this is and what a promise to receive. The truth is even more wondrous that each of us has received an even greater promise – that of the Holy Spirit in baptism. How often do you thank God for the gift of His Spirit? Don’t you think we should do that every day?

2 Samuel 7: 18-19, 24-29
18 Then King David went in and sat before the LORD and said, “Who am I, Lord GOD, and who are the members of my house, that you have brought me to this point? 19 Yet even this you see as too little, Lord GOD; you have also spoken of the house of your servant for a long time to come: this too you have shown to man, Lord GOD! 24 You have established for yourself your people Israel as yours forever, and you, LORD, have become their God. 25 And now, LORD God, confirm for all time the prophecy you have made concerning your servant and his house, and do as you have promised. 26 Your name will be forever great, when men say, ‘The LORD of hosts is God of Israel,’ and the house of your servant David stands firm before you. 27 It is you, LORD of hosts, God of Israel, who said in a revelation to your servant, ‘I will build a house for you.’Therefore your servant now finds the courage to make this prayer to you. 28 And now, Lord GOD, you are God and your words are truth; you have made this generous promise to your servant. 29 Do, then, bless the house of your servant that it may be before you forever; for you, Lord GOD, have promised, and by your blessing the house of your servant shall be blessed forever.”

P S A L M

Psalm 132: 1-2, 3-5, 11, 12, 13-14
R: The Lord God will give him the throne of David, his father.
1 LORD, remember David and all his anxious care; 2 How he swore an oath to the LORD, vowed to the Mighty One of Jacob. (R) 3 “I will not enter the house where I live, nor lie on the couch where I sleep; 4 I will give my eyes no sleep, my eyelids no rest, 5 till I find a home for the LORD, a dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob.” (R) 11 The LORD swore an oath to David a firm promise from which he will not withdraw: “Your own offspring I will set upon your throne.” (R) 12 “If your sons keep my covenant and the decrees which I shall teach them, their sons, too, forever shall sit upon your throne.” (R) 13 For the LORD has chosen Zion; he prefers her for his dwelling. 14 “Zion is my resting place forever; in her will I dwell, for I prefer her. (R)

G O S P E L

What is Jesus trying to tell us here? I think His point is a very general one, namely that we have no excuse for not using all the gifts and blessings that He has given us. It does not take any great brilliance to work out how to use the gifts of the Spirit – they are self-explanatory. Therefore we have absolutely no excuse for not using them all to their fullest capacity. Imagine how different the Church would be today if all Christians used their gifts fully. Let us start by using our own before pointing a finger at others.

Mark 4: 21-25
21 Jesus said to his disciples, “Is a lamp brought in to be placed under a bushel basket or under a bed, and not to be placed on a lampstand? 22 For there is nothing hidden except to be made visible; nothing is secret except to come to light. 23 Anyone who has ears to hear ought to hear.” 24 He also told them, “Take care what you hear. The measure with which you measure will be measured out to you, and still more will be given to you. 25 To the one who has, more will be given; from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.”

my reflections
think: How often do you thank God for the gift of His Spirit? Don’t you think we should do that every day?

February
Sunday

------------

THE POWER OF SiTTiNg DOWN

When He saw the crowds, he went up the mountain, and after he had sat down, his disciples came to Him. – Matthew 5:1

What was the first thing Jesus did when he saw the crowds? No, He didn’t preach. “He went up the mountain.” What’s the second thing He did? No, He didn’t perform a miracle. He “sat down.” What’s the third thing He did? No, He didn’t dismiss the crowd. He “began teaching them.”
The Gospel reveals to us some practical instructions for effectiveness and success. The “crowd” represents those that pressure us. When facing challenges, let’s follow Jesus’ strategy. First, climb up your mountain of prayer. Praying, like mountain climbing, is filled with obstacles and distractions. Yet the euphoria of the peak far outweighs the effort of the climb.
Next, sit down and think. Where we stand depends on where we sit. Many mistakes occur when we don’t think hard about things. Visualization comes before execution. Our whole system will concentrate its efforts into making what we vividly imagine as a reality.
Lastly, execute the task. We have inspiration, we did contemplation then it’s time for execution — taking bold, massive action. Jesus prayed, sat and served. We, His disciples must follow His lead. Obet Cabrillas

REFLECTION:

Are we simplistic or simple? Do we simply pray, simply think and simply do?

For You, O Lord, are my Sure Foundation: I will not be disturbed.

--------------

not of this World

Going through the Beatitudes, one cannot help but entertain the thought that such pronouncements sometimes seem outdated, passé, etc. We listen to these words of Christ then look around and see how far the world is to these standards of blessedness. Hence, we sometimes feel out of place in this world when we try to be poor in spirit, when we try to be meek and merciful.
I remember an experience I had during our parish’s celebration of the Christ the King feast day. We had this long procession and trekked through the hills and grasslands of Antipolo. During that long journey, we went through clusters of people engaging themselves in different things—watching TV, gossiping, playing cards , playing basketball, etc. I looked around and saw some of the parishioners feeling a little embarrassed at what we were doing— feeling alienated by the fact that they were doing something “holy” while the rest of the community were not. During my homily, I reminded them of this thought: I guess, it is right to feel alienated, for our place is really not of this world. No matter how we try to feel at home in this world we just can’t for our real home is in the company of those who have already mastered the norms of the Kingdom of God.
People will tell us we are outdated. They will make us believe that we are behind the times. But the word of God is never outmoded — it never loses its power and authority. And if He says blessed are the poor, those who mourn, the meek, those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, and the merciful, they truly are. And only God will validate these things, if not in this world then surely in the next. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Do I feel alienated whenever I do what the Lord asks me to do?

“Disturb us, O Lord, when with the abundance of things we possess, we have lost our thirst for the waters of life; Having fallen in love with life,we have ceased to dream of eternity. And in our efforts to build a new earth, we have allowed our vision of the new Heaven to dim.” - from Sir Francis Drake’s prayer

St. Blasé, bishop and martyr, pray for us.

----------

1st READING

If you have ever met a person of true integrity you will notice that it is irrelevant to them as to whose presence they are in or whatever they are doing, there is always a peace, even serenity about the way they approach their life. Why is this so? It is simply a result of their knowing that they have integrity. They truly have nothing to be worried about in their lives because they know they are in a good place with God.

Zephaniah 2:3; 3:12-13
3 Seek the LORD, all you humble of the earth, who have observed his law; seek justice, seek humility; perhaps you may be sheltered on the day of the LORD’s anger. 3: 12 But I will leave as a remnant in your midst a people humble and lowly, who shall take refuge in the name of the LORD; 13 the remnant of Israel. They shall do no wrong and speak no lies; nor shall there be found in their mouths a deceitful tongue; they shall pasture and couch their flocks with none to disturb them.

P S A L M

Psalm 146:6-7, 8-9, 9-10
R: Blessed are the poor in spirit; the kingdom of heaven is theirs!
6 The LORD keeps faith forever, 7 secures justice for the oppressed, gives good to the hungry. The LORD sets captives free. (R) 8 The LORD gives sight to the blind. The LORD raises up those that were bowed down; the LORD loves the just. 9 The LORD protects strangers. (R) The fatherless and the widow he sustains, but the way of the wicked he thwarts. 10 The LORD shall reign forever; your God, O Zion, through all generations. Alleluia. (R)

2nd READING

God does not need people to affirm or provide Him with His existence. It is the other way around. We need Him — without His love we would cease to exist. This is why we should always seek to know His particular wisdom on a matter — it will always be better than the wisdom that we can provide on our own. God’s weakness is always greater than our greatest strength. Do you believe this?

1 Corinthians 1:26-31
26 Consider your own calling, brothers. Not many of you were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. 27 Rather, God chose the foolish of the world to shame the wise, and God chose the weak of the world to shame the strong, 28 and God chose the lowly and despised of the world, those who count for nothing, to reduce to nothing those who are something, 29 so that no human being might boast before God. 30 It is due to him that you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God, as well as righteousness, sanctification, and redemption, 31 so that, as it is written, “Whoever boasts, should boast in the Lord.”

GOSPEL

The Beatitudes provide for us a way of life that will lead us into heaven. At first glance, they seem to advocate a weak approach to life. However, if we try to live them I am sure we will discover that, far from being weak, the life they advocate is one full of challenges and difficulties. To embrace the character of Jesus is never easy in the context of the very selfish world in which we live.

Matthew 5:1-12a
1 When he saw the crowds, he went up the mountain, and after he had sat down, his disciples came to him. 2 He began to teach them, saying: 3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted. 5 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land. 6 Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied. 7 Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. 8 Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God. 9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. 10 Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you falsely because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven.”

my reflections
think: God’s weakness is greater than our greatest strength. Do you believe this?

SABBATH PAUSE
My weekly time with God
THANK YOU LIST

February
Monday

------------

ANNOUNCiNg THE MiRACLE

“Go home to your family and announce to them all that the Lord in His pity has done for you.” – Mark 5:19

“Lord, please save my child!” the mother cried out. I was then a medical intern on rotation at the pediatric ward. She continued to wail her prayers out loud to the Lord, asking Him to spare her comatose child who was showing signs of an impending death.
Moved by this scenario, I consoled the mother and advised her to calm down. Together we prayed to God Almighty, asking Him to bless and save the child, and to grant us the strength to accept whatever would happen to the child. We ended our prayer with, “Your will be done, Lord.”
In the next 12 hours, a miracle happened. The child woke up and asked for something to eat. The following day, she was up on her toes as if nothing serious happened.
Isn’t this a miracle worth telling again and again? No wonder Jesus told the possessed man in today’s Gospel to spread the good news. Dr. Henry Yu

REFLECTION:
Yes, miracles do happen. Think back. Look back. What were the miracles that happened in your life?

Lord, You are indeed a good and merciful Father. Let me announce it. Thank You for the miracle. Praise be Your Holy Name.

------------

share What the lord has done

Ever wondered why fundamental Christians are spreading like wild fire? While Catholics have already surpassed the one billion mark, Evangelicals are not really too far behind. The reason perhaps lies in these verses. After the demoniac was cured by Jesus, he was instructed by Jesus to “Go home to your friends, and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and what mercy he has shown you.” And judging by the response of the man’s friends, Jesus’ flock increased for “everyone was amazed.”
It is undeniable that Catholics have been experiencing transformation in leaps and bounds. Testimonies of men and women whose lives have been touched by God are very much present in almost all gatherings. Unfortunately, such testimonies do not reach far and wide. They are shared with others but left within the confines of their group.
To speak of Christ among barkadas is not a cool thing. To suddenly burst in the middle of a conversation talking about Christ would prove to be the same thing. But we have to realize that the reason why our faith grew to what it is now is because of the personal testimonies of our fathers and mothers in faith who did not feel ashamed of sharing their God experiences. I believe that every Christian should take it upon his shoulders to profess to others “how much the Lord has done for you, and what mercy He has shown you.” Surely others will likewise be drawn to Christ just as the ordinary people of old. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Have you shared with others what great things the Lord has done for your life?

Jesus, may You give me the courage and the words to speak of the many things You’ve done for me that others may believe and be blessed.

St. Joan of Valois, pray for us.

--------------------------

1st READING

David is not a vindictive man – he does not seek to avenge any wrong done to him. To seek vengeance upon those who have wronged us is a waste of time and human resources. After all, what good will it do us anyway? There is nothing gained from vengeance except a sort of hollow and pyrrhic victory. It is certainly not pleasing to God.

2 Samuel 15:13-14, 30; 16:5-13
13 An informant came to David with the report, “The Israelites have transferred their loyalty to Absalom.” 14 At this, David said to all his servants who were with him in Jerusalem “Up! Let us take flight, or none of us will escape from Absalom. Leave quickly, lest he hurry and overtake us, then visit disaster upon us and put the city to the sword.” 30 As David went up the Mount of Olives, he wept without ceasing. His head was covered, and he was walking barefoot. All those who were with him also had their heads covered and were weeping as they went. 16: 5 As David was approaching Bahurim, a man named Shimei, the son of Gera of the same clan as Saul’s family, was coming out of the place, cursing as he came. 6 He threw stones at David and at all the king’s officers, even though all the soldiers, including the royal guard, were on David’s right and on his left. 7 Shimei was saying as he cursed “Away, away, you murderous and wicked man! 8 The LORD has requited you for all the bloodshed in the family of Saul, in whose stead you became king, and the LORD has given over the kingdom to your son Absalom. And now you suffer ruin because you are a murderer.” 9 Abishai, son of Zeruiah, said to the king “Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? Let me go over, please, and lop off his head.” 10 But the king replied “What business is it of mine or of yours, sons of Zeruiah, that he curses? Suppose the LORD has told him to curse David; who then will dare to say, ‘Why are you doing this?’ ” 11 Then the king said to Abishai and to all his servants “If my own son, who came forth from my loins, is seeking my life, how much more might this Benjaminite do so! Let him alone and let him curse, for the LORD has told him to. 12 Perhaps the LORD will look upon my affliction and make it up to me with benefits for the curses he is uttering this day.” 13 David and his men continued on the road, while Shimei kept abreast of them on the hillside, all the while cursing and throwing stones and dirt as he went.

P S A L M

Psalm 3:2-3, 4-5, 6-7
R: Lord, rise up and save me.
1 [2] O LORD, how many are my adversaries! Many rise up against me! 2 [3] Many are saying of me, “There is no salvation for him in God.” (R) 3 [4] But you, O LORD, are my shield; my glory, you lift up my head! 4 [5] When I call out to the LORD, he answers me from his holy mountain. (R) 5 [6] When I lie down in sleep, I wake again, for the LORD sustains me. 6 [7] I fear not the myriads of people arrayed against me on every side. (R)

G O S P E L

It seems to me that the people here are ungrateful, don’t you think? Jesus has solved a major problem for them, reopened one of the roads into their town and yet they are not thankful? Perhaps they got used to the inconvenience of avoiding that stretch of road controlled by the demoniac in the same way we sometimes get used to the inconveniences caused by some of our sins. Now I understand. Sometimes, we prefer the inconvenience to being confronted by the greater truth that we need to change the sinful ways we live.

Mark 5:1-20
1 They came to the other side of the sea, to the territory of the Gerasenes. 2 When he got out of the boat, at once a man from the tombs who had an unclean spirit met him. 3 The man had been dwelling among the tombs, and no one could restrain him any longer, even with a chain. 4 In fact, he had frequently been bound with shackles and chains, but the chains had been pulled apart by him and the shackles smashed, and no one was strong enough to subdue him. 5 Night and day among the tombs and on the hillsides he was always crying out and bruising himself with stones. 6 Catching sight of Jesus from a distance, he ran up and prostrated himself before him, 7 crying out in a loud voice, “What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I adjure you by God, do not torment me!” 8 (He had been saying to him, “Unclean spirit, come out of the man!”) 9 He asked him, “What is your name?” He replied, “Legion is my name. There are many of us.” 10 And he pleaded earnestly with him not to drive them away from that territory. 11 Now a large herd of swine was feeding there on the hillside. 12 And they pleaded with him, “Send us into the swine. Let us enter them.” 13 And he let them, and the unclean spirits came out and entered the swine. The herd of about two thousand rushed down a steep bank into the sea, where they were drowned. 14 The swineherds ran away and reported the incident in the town and throughout the countryside. And people came out to see what had happened. 15 As they approached Jesus, they caught sight of the man who had been possessed by Legion, sitting there clothed and in his right mind. And they were seized with fear. 16 Those who witnessed the incident explained to them what had happened to the possessed man and to the swine. 17 Then they began to beg him to leave their district. 18 As he was getting into the boat, the man who had been possessed pleaded to remain with him. 19 But he would not permit him but told him instead, “Go home to your family and announce to them all that the Lord in his pity has done for you.” 20 Then the man went off and began to proclaim in the Decapolis what Jesus had done for him; and all were amazed.

my reflections
think: Sometimes, we prefer the inconvenience caused by some of our sins rather than be confronted by the greater truth that we need to change the sinful ways we live.

Back
Top Bottom