Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

How to make your own home solar. With Pictures + solar book

Re: How to make your own home solar. With Pictures + solar b

^ who generates more amps?
1. panels+switch+battery
2. panels+controller+battery

in theory, assuming that the same sunlight will be received by the panel and the battery DoD is the same, the answer will depend on who will be charged first... if #2 will be charged first then it will have the higher amperes... why? because when charging lead acid battery the amperes is tapering down... why? because as the battery is being charged, its internal resistance is going higher... "the higher the resistance, the less current the battery can charge or discharge".

Source: http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?15824-12v-10amps-or-24v-5amps-which-will-charge-faster

- - - Updated - - -

... balita ko lang para doon sa may plano na mag-upgrade ng solar setup...

cdr king's new solar charge controller, rated 50A with lcd monitoring display... and the price is Php 3,480.00
Source: http://www.cdrking.com/?mod=products&type=view&sid=20071&main=167

Specs:
Rated Current: 50A
Rated Voltage: 12v/24v
Maximum voltage of solar panel: =50V
Float Voltage: 13.7V/27.4V
Low Voltage Disconnection: 10.7V/21.4
Low Voltage Reconnection: 12.6V/25.2V
No load loss: <30mA
Loop Voltage drop: =200mV
Installation cable area: >3# AWG (<25mm²)
Opening Temperature: -20°C~50°C
Storage Temperature: -30°C~70°C
Humidity Requirements: =90%
Size: 130mmx188mmx62m

Last edited:

If I had a 600 watts or so solar array, I think I will not buy this 50 amp solar controller but a better MPPT controller even if it's a little bit more expensive! This one has only a 1 week warranty and don't know if PWM or MPPT....
Anyways, it's still a good news as cdr king has more and more solar components :thumbsup:

gud eve..TS tanong kulang,10 battery ko 6v 4amp. i use to serries +parallel 12v 20 amp..ito ts gumamit ako ng controller 10amp. panel 30watts chaka inverter 500 watts...pwede ba ako gumamit ng ceiling fan like taiwanese 220v 12watts...sa araw kahit nag chacharge cya? at sa gabi 2 led bulb 2watts? cguro mga 9pm tulog na of 2 bulb.ilang oras pwede gumamit ng ceiling fan sa gabi? tnx ts

- - - Updated - - -

or anong ceiling fan dito pwede sa battery ko aabot cya sa umaga.mga 5am... anong watts pwede ts?:praise:

Last edited:

gud eve..TS tanong kulang,10 battery ko 6v 4amp. i use to serries +parallel 12v 20 amp..ito ts gumamit ako ng controller 10amp. panel 30watts chaka inverter 500 watts...pwede ba ako gumamit ng ceiling fan like taiwanese 220v 12watts...sa araw kahit nag chacharge cya? at sa gabi 2 led bulb 2watts? cguro mga 9pm tulog na of 2 bulb.ilang oras pwede gumamit ng ceiling fan sa gabi? tnx ts

- - - Updated - - -

or anong ceiling fan dito pwede sa battery ko aabot cya sa umaga.mga 5am... anong watts pwede ts?:praise:

In theory your 12 watts ceiling fan can last 8 hours (if 12 watts) considering that you use your led bulbs up to 9 pm... I said "in Theory" coz it depends on how many amps uses your inverter...
Yes you can use your fan while charging but be sure to stop it around 3 pm (or later if very sunny) to have your bats 100% charged for the night!
With only 20 amp bat, you cannot run a regular fan... I saw, sa solar shop, a 15 watts 12 volt fan, if you can find one like this it can run longer because it's connected direct sa battery, no need of inverter!

Last edited:

still no sign of rain stopping this is already moonsoon rains the news says we expect this till the end of the week. my batteries are now only 75% capacity I just hope that by noon they'll be up to 85% :weep:

again with nothing to do I decided to test later who generates more amps panels+switch+battery vs. panels+controller+battery be doing the test by mid-noon so that even if conditions are unfavorable the sun will be directly above my panels that time thus panels will be on their peak even on the current weather condition I have.......;)

results of the tests are as follows
Panel+Controller vs Panel+Switch

V=8.62 vs V=12.89
I=3.53 vs I=3.50

conclusion
as what sir tristan said its a characteristic of a panels voltage to drop like a rock when a load is applied it is clearly shown in the tests performed. In my opinion panels+switch will do more of the job in charging batteries during unfavorable weather conditions. Even if the batteries will be connected to the panel+switch I am sure the voltage will also drop but compare the difference with Panel+Controller+batteries there will be another drop in the voltage because additional load(batteries) are applied. Even if amps generated by Panel+Controller is higher(its a mere .o3 difference) that difference as I see is of little significance in doing the job done.................

results are uploaded late because my internet connection failed and for the weather also still no sign of the sun to shine. For that I charged my batteries thru AC for they already are only 30% capacity. So there I learned that with my current usage my batterries will only last for 2.5 days during unfavorable weather conditions......

Last edited:

results of the tests are as follows
Panel+Controller vs Panel+Switch

V=8.62 vs V=12.89
I=3.53 vs I=3.50

conclusion
as what sir tristan said its a characteristic of a panels voltage to drop like a rock when a load is applied it is clearly shown in the tests performed. In my opinion panels+switch will do more of the job in charging batteries during unfavorable weather conditions. Even if the batteries will be connected to the panel+switch I am sure the voltage will also drop but compare the difference with Panel+Controller+batteries there will be another drop in the voltage because additional load(batteries) are applied. Even if amps generated by Panel+Controller is higher(its a mere .o3 difference) that difference as I see is of little significance in doing the job done.................

results are uploaded late because my internet connection failed and for the weather also still no sign of the sun to shine. For that I charged my batteries thru AC for they already are only 30% capacity. So there I learned that with my current usage my batterries will only last for 2.5 days during unfavorable weather conditions......

Thanks for giving us your results!... That's why I don't use controller: in rainy season, I always manage to have my batteries charged... it happened maybe only 3 or 4 times that I couldn't charge my batteries at all!
Try not to discharge your bat under 50% if you want to keep them for long...
Talking of rain: at least the rain is here... just hope that it will not be too strong :rofl:

^ hehe... the reading is not really accurate... i already have a voltmeter and the reading has a +0.3 difference (versus multimeter)... sa akin ay ok pa rin kasi linagyan ko ng switch.

need ko kasi ang ammeter to give me an idea of the amperes draw of the load... dapat kasi hindi lumampas ng 7A... (related ito sa dc-dc boost converter testing as a boost charger).... anyways lagyan ko na lang ng switch para hindi agad ma-busted... thanks for the comments.

an idea just entered and I want to share it so that anybody can try................how about using an automotive amp meter! they are cheap prince range is from 400-1200 for the branded ones plus they are rated up to 30 other models are up to 60 amps. draw back is measurements can't be read accurately because graduations is in 10-20-30:( but I think they'll work fine to be used as an indication that a battery is charging or not and it will also show if a battery is already in full charge(the meter will read zero) and show also if batteries undercharged(negative reading -10 -20 -30):)

Last edited:

... I saw, sa solar shop, a 15 watts 12 volt fan, if you can find one like this it can run longer because it's connected direct sa battery, no need of inverter!
i've also noticed that there are now olx sellers of "12v dc solar electric fan"... i will try to buy one and test if it is OK...

i've also noticed that there are now olx sellers of "12v dc solar electric fan"... i will try to buy one and test if it is OK...

sir tristan Iam already a user of this solar generated fan. they work well in minimum 20w solar panels even without the batteries! i guarantee they will perform as desired! but with 20w panels expect that if clouds pass by the fans will perform minimally.

Hi.

The Solar Installer visited me today. Its his third visit.

We have a small office (27sq m) at home so we will have 12 led lights and 12v fan will run 8 hours a day with 1 hour of rest during lunchbreak.
At night we have lights on for security.

My present set-up:
solar railing on roof
1st 150w poly solar panel + thhn 10 wires to 30A circuit breaker to 30A Epsolar Tracer Mppt controller with MT5 lcd display + 30A circuit breaker to battery.
2nd 150w mono solar panel not yet attached to controller. (parallel in the future)
From MPPT load to 2 terminal blocks -

one terminal block for daytime use
thhn 12 wires
15a circuit breaker
office lights - 4 pcs of E27 receptacles for 7watts 12v DC lights (no bulbs yet)
12v 15w ACE stand Fan (it faces our office aircon for better cold air circulation and to lower the aircon thermostat early)

one terminal block for night time use
thhn 10 and thhn 12 wires
10a automotive fuse
12v dc timer that turns on 6 12v 3w or 2.5w lights for 11 hours at garage, balcony, and stairwell . 10a fuse used.

So far, battery is full as early as 1-2pm daily. With the day time use of lights, I think battery will still be fully charged by 5pm.
But with 4 new led bulbs, I don't know the effect. We will attach the 2nd 150w mono panel if needed.

Again, we installed this ACE brand 12v stand fan with 15 watts. Wiring is THHN 12.
Please do not use the fan more than 4 hours without rest. The construction of the ACE fan is not heavy duty.
According to the Installer, most fan parts are plastic, even the motor mount.
The plastic motor mount will melt for extended hours use.
You have to find a mount replacement or DIY one.

He has repaired an identical fan many times with an American solar client who left his fan on for several hours.
I called the Store where I bought it....Toyami Marketing in Farmers Cubao....they confirmed the same thing.

sir tristan Iam already a user of this solar generated fan. they work well in minimum 20w solar panels even without the batteries! i guarantee they will perform as desired! but with 20w panels expect that if clouds pass by the fans will perform minimally.

solar dc-dc boost 12V battery charger update:... i made the branch circuit that connect the dc-dc boost converter removable... then added the VA meter to this circuit... it is really needed to monitor the charge rate of the battery that is being charged... and also because i am only using 40W panel >7A charge controller >14.4Ah battery as the DC input of the dc-dc boost converter... (for this experiment the battery that is being charge is the 12Ah battery of my solar power kit )... am testing it as of this posting...

- - - Updated - - -

Experiment result:

Successfull bulk-absorb charging within 2 hours and 44 minutes > disconnected from the dc-dc boost charger because it is not capable of FLOAT charging > transferred to a controller for float charging.

Significant observation: The initial charge rate during the first one hour is very high (3.8A) then tapers down to less than 1A as the battery becomes charged.

Conclusion: The dc-dc boost converter can be effectively used as a solar "Quick Charger" but should not be left connected to the battery (IF NO LOAD IS CONNECTED) since it has no Float charging capability.

Hi TS, I want to setup solar system because I don't have plan to subscribe at electric cooperative.
Meron napo akong controller and Inverter
Ang tanong ko po ay. Ilang Watts ang bibilhin ko na solar panel and Ilang battery ang kailangan ko?

Ito po ang loads sa plan ng solar system ko.
1 Led TV 40 Watts - mga 4 hours lang ang gamit per day
1 Laptop 90 Watts - always naka ON mga 8AM-11PM
3 Ceiling Fan 15 Watts each - naka ON pag gabie, cguro mga 12 hours
5 Led Bulb 9W each - mga 4 hours lang naka on ang 2 buld, yung 1 mga 10 hours

Need you suggestions mga Kasymbianize.

Bali ito po
1. Controller 30A MPPT (Coming na na itong item) http://www.ebay.ph/itm/121118905347?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
2. Inverter - 1000W 12/24/48V to 120/220V Pure Sine Wave Inverter (coming) http://www.ebay.ph/itm/191191596906?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
3. Solar Paner - ???? Need your suggestions, Pwede kaya ito http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=20070&main=167#.U5xL3kel5pI
4. Battery - ???? Need your suggestions (pwede lang kaya ang Motolite Deep Cycle Battery 100A)

Hi TS, I want to setup solar system because I don't have plan to subscribe at electric cooperative.
Meron napo akong controller and Inverter
Ang tanong ko po ay. Ilang Watts ang bibilhin ko na solar panel and Ilang battery ang kailangan ko?

Ito po ang loads sa plan ng solar system ko.
1 Led TV 40 Watts - mga 4 hours lang ang gamit per day
1 Laptop 90 Watts - always naka ON mga 8AM-11PM
3 Ceiling Fan 15 Watts each - naka ON pag gabie, cguro mga 12 hours
5 Led Bulb 9W each - mga 4 hours lang naka on ang 2 buld, yung 1 mga 10 hours

Bali ito po
1. Controller 30A MPPT (Coming na na itong item) http://www.ebay.ph/itm/121118905347?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
2. Inverter - 1000W 12/24/48V to 120/220V Pure Sine Wave Inverter (coming) http://www.ebay.ph/itm/191191596906?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
3. Solar Paner - ???? Need your suggestions, Pwede kaya ito http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=20070&main=167#.U5xL3kel5pI
4. Battery - ???? Need your suggestions (pwede lang kaya ang Motolite Deep Cycle Battery 100A)

More or less, you consume 2200 watts per day AC (you did not say how many fans? so I counted 2 and how many bulbs?) which is 183 watts DC per day... you have to add 50% for miscellaneous loss and the inverter so it will be 275 watts DC. Now the question is: do you want to have backup power and for how many days?

For one day you will need:
500 Ah battery bank SM motolite
700 or 800 watt solar panels (pwede sa cdr king) (pwede 650 watts if you use mppt controller)
40 amp controller (or 50 amp)

Considering that you will use your laptop (which is the one that consumes the most) half time in day time, this setup can last for maybe 2 days in summer.
You can save on power by reducing the wattage of your led bulbs... 9 watts is very bright for led (5 times brighter than cfl bulbs)

Another option, if you have someone always at home who can monitor the charge of the batteries time to time, is to have the same batteries but only 250 watt solar panel and no controller!

Hi.

The Solar Installer visited me today. Its his third visit.

We have a small office (27sq m) at home so we will have 12 led lights and 12v fan will run 8 hours a day with 1 hour of rest during lunchbreak.
At night we have lights on for security.

My present set-up:
solar railing on roof
1st 150w poly solar panel + thhn 10 wires to 30A circuit breaker to 30A Epsolar Tracer Mppt controller with MT5 lcd display + 30A circuit breaker to battery.
2nd 150w mono solar panel not yet attached to controller. (parallel in the future)
From MPPT load to 2 terminal blocks -

one terminal block for daytime use
thhn 12 wires
15a circuit breaker
office lights - 4 pcs of E27 receptacles for 7watts 12v DC lights (no bulbs yet)
12v 15w ACE stand Fan (it faces our office aircon for better cold air circulation and to lower the aircon thermostat early)

one terminal block for night time use
thhn 10 and thhn 12 wires
10a automotive fuse
12v dc timer that turns on 6 12v 3w or 2.5w lights for 11 hours at garage, balcony, and stairwell . 10a fuse used.

So far, battery is full as early as 1-2pm daily. With the day time use of lights, I think battery will still be fully charged by 5pm.
But with 4 new led bulbs, I don't know the effect. We will attach the 2nd 150w mono panel if needed.

Again, we installed this ACE brand 12v stand fan with 15 watts. Wiring is THHN 12.
Please do not use the fan more than 4 hours without rest. The construction of the ACE fan is not heavy duty.
According to the Installer, most fan parts are plastic, even the motor mount.
The plastic motor mount will melt for extended hours use.
You have to find a mount replacement or DIY one.

He has repaired an identical fan many times with an American solar client who left his fan on for several hours.
I called the Store where I bought it....Toyami Marketing in Farmers Cubao....they confirmed the same thing.

Nice setup :thumbsup: Thanks for your feedback about the 12 volt fans... I was suspecting that they will have hard time if directly connected to the panel... I think we need very good quality fans with a good motor dc to run for many hours directly from panel... unless we order abroad, I don't think we will find that here!!! But still a 12 volt fan is better than an ac one...

Last edited:

Bali ito po
personally, since i have already experienced using a "home scale" solar power, i could say that it is wrong to entertain the idea of using solar power as the MAIN source of electricity... the best idea is using a hybrid system... that is, power company as the main supplier... and solar power should always be the backup or the alternative source of electricity… reason?... it is VERY EXPENSIVE generating/storing your own electricity from solar power… (however if you passionately love our only planet and would like to do your share, then that’s another story).

according to the solar calculator from batterystuff.com ...

Total daily usage of 100W x 8hours = 800 Watt-Hrs... in a 12 volts system voltage...

• 1 day battery backup power (meaning use it today, charge battery tomorrow) = 300W panel and 100Ah battery
• 2 days battery backup power = 300W panel and 300Ah battery

The figures are the result IF the "Sun hours per day" is 6 hours (meaning if tomorrow is raining or very cloudy then the figures are not true anymore).

Bali ito po
1. Controller 30A MPPT… OK
2. Inverter - 1000W 12/24/48V to 120/220V Pure Sine Wave Inverter… OK
3. Solar Panel – Pwede cdrking
4. Battery – pwede Motolite Deep Cycle Battery 100A

personally, since i have already experienced using a "home scale" solar power, i could say that it is wrong to entertain the idea of using solar power as the MAIN source of electricity... the best idea is using a hybrid system... that is, power company as the main supplier... and solar power should always be the backup or the alternative source of electricity… reason?... it is VERY EXPENSIVE generating/storing your own electricity from solar power… (however if you passionately love our only planet and would like to do your share, then that’s another story).

according to the solar calculator from batterystuff.com ...

Total daily usage of 100W x 8hours = 800 Watt-Hrs... in a 12 volts system voltage...

• 1 day battery backup power (meaning use it today, charge battery tomorrow) = 300W panel and 100Ah battery
• 2 days battery backup power = 300W panel and 300Ah battery

The figures are the result IF the "Sun hours per day" is 6 hours (meaning if tomorrow is raining or very cloudy then the figures are not true anymore).

Bali ito po
1. Controller 30A MPPT… OK
2. Inverter - 1000W 12/24/48V to 120/220V Pure Sine Wave Inverter… OK
3. Solar Panel – Pwede cdrking
4. Battery – pwede Motolite Deep Cycle Battery 100A

i could say that it is wrong to entertain the idea of using solar power as the MAIN source of electricity... the best idea is using a hybrid system... that is, power company as the main supplier... and solar power should always be the backup or the alternative source of electricity… reason?... it is VERY EXPENSIVE generating/storing your own electricity from solar power… (however if you passionately love our only planet and would like to do your share, then that’s another story).

I don't totally agree with your statement!! You may be right if you consider people using a lot of electricity (aircon, ref, washing machines...) but for so many people who don't have these appliances, either because they cannot afford them or they don't have electricity in their area or they just don't want ... solar is one of the best solution...
The best is to teach people how to use less electricity so they can have a solar setup for all their needs and not so expensive! My main source of electricity is solar (75%) and it did not cost me a lot... I just don't use a lot... that's the key!

The 90 watt laptop runs 15 hours a day, so it's already 1350 watts!

Last edited:

Ma’am TS… am just replying to @noelgant comment’s “ because I don't have plan to subscribe at electric cooperative. “ … meaning 100% off grid? … when they have an “electric cooperative”?

… and the “100W x 8hours = 800 Watt-Hrs... in a 12 volts system voltage”… is just to give @noelgant a general estimate… meaning, if a 100W x 8 hours you need this… then how much more a “2200 watts”?

IMHO only…

ok... but still I do believe that it is very achievable to live 100% off grid for people with less electricity "urges" :lol: If he does not have a ref and only the appliances he told us, it is very possible! 2200 watts/day it's only 66 Kw/month... and maybe he has relatives beside his house who have electricity... we don't know!
That's almost what I use with my solar setup... only my ref is "on grid" but with a timer (meaning that it uses 3 times less electricity than a regular ref) and some led lights... The only other electric appliances I use, time to time, on grid are power tools and a mixer/blender (which I use on solar in summer...)

Last edited:

pasubscribe ako mga boss. unti untiin kong basahin from start to end. medyo somewhat familiar na din ako sa solar energy. pero theoretical lang. mabuti itong thread na ito para mas makita ang actual. at tsaka malaman din ang experience ng ibang members.

i havent started reading the thread yet. umm, ask ko lang if nilalagay niyo dito ang mga expenses niyo sa pag-iinstall ng ganitong system? another is, meron ba dito iyong nagbibigay din sa electric company ng excess nila na kuryente? i forgot the term.

Last edited:

I don't totally agree with your statement!! You may be right if you consider people using a lot of electricity (aircon, ref, washing machines...) but for so many people who don't have these appliances, either because they cannot afford them or they don't have electricity in their area or they just don't want ... solar is one of the best solution...
The best is to teach people how to use less electricity so they can have a solar setup for all their needs and not so expensive! My main source of electricity is solar (75%) and it did not cost me a lot... I just don't use a lot... that's the key!

well said we all know that our solar system set up are dependent on how much we can afford and it is all up to us if in the future we want to add other loads then additional batteries and panels are required. the best with this thread is that it helps those who wants to lessen electric bills, those who have just enough to at least have a light even only at night, those like me fond of free energy and most of all like me who cares for our only planet for the future generations to enjoy........this is a very nice all in all package for all interested we are here to bring our experiences and learn all the way until things are perfected.......

- - - Updated - - -

pasubscribe ako mga boss. unti untiin kong basahin from start to end. medyo somewhat familiar na din ako sa solar energy. pero theoretical lang. mabuti itong thread na ito para mas makita ang actual. at tsaka malaman din ang experience ng ibang members. i havent started reading the thread yet. umm, ask ko lang if nilalagay niyo dito ang mga expenses niyo sa pag-iinstall ng ganitong system?

ok lang bro go on read ka lang marami ka matutunan dto at kung tlagang gusto mo make it happen start small muna. speaking of expenses in my current set up 30k+ batteries are the most expensive only buy deep cycle batterries automotive batteries are not good for this purpose. with my set up my lights are all solar powered my laptop, my internet modem and router 24/7 my fans, and ps3 console including led tv and sound system.

here is my new addition to my system a UNIVPO 1000W pure sine inverter worth 9500.
View attachment 172674

Attachments

• DSC_0031[1].jpg
    DSC_0031[1].jpg
    846.4 KB · Views: 9

well said we all know that our solar system set up are dependent on how much we can afford and it is all up to us if in the future we want to add other loads then additional batteries and panels are required. the best with this thread is that it helps those who wants to lessen electric bills, those who have just enough to at least have a light even only at night, those like me fond of free energy and most of all like me who cares for our only planet for the future generations to enjoy........this is a very nice all in all package for all interested we are here to bring our experiences and learn all the way until things are perfected.......

- - - Updated - - -

ok lang bro go on read ka lang marami ka matutunan dto at kung tlagang gusto mo make it happen start small muna. speaking of expenses in my current set up 30k+ batteries are the most expensive only buy deep cycle batterries automotive batteries are not good for this purpose. with my set up my lights are all solar powered my laptop, my internet modem and router 24/7 my fans, and ps3 console including led tv and sound system.

here is my new addition to my system a UNIVPO 1000W pure sine inverter worth 9500.
View attachment 931808

sa 30k+ sir, how many Kw or ilang panels ang ininstal mo? ilan ang batteries na gamit mo? iyong modem at router mo ang tanging 24/7 na running sir? if ever plan mo magexpand in the future, ano mas maganda ba magdagdag ng panel or damihan mo na lang ang batteries for storage purposes?

UPDATE: sir may nakita ako sa page 6 na pic ng battery. motolite solar master (deep cycle). sabi mo kasi do not use automotive batteries. eh ang alam ko sir eh ginagamit ang motolite sa mga sasakyan. pakiclear sir. thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom