Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Let's Talk About Operating Systems

Which OS is best for desktop computers?

• Windows

Votes: 499 79.6%
  • GNU/Linux distros

Votes: 99 15.8%
  • MacOS

Votes: 25 4.0%
  • BSD

Votes: 4 0.6%

• Total voters

Prescilla

The Ultimate Symbianizer
Advanced Member
Reaction score
I've created this thread to initiate a discussion (debate) on different Operating Systems available today. Have you tried any other OS besides the (overrated) Windows? If so, share your insights.

Last edited:
Re: Let's Talk Operating Systems

Sa anong paraan po naging overrated ang Windows? :D

For starters, Win Vista contained too much bloatware. Win7 was a better version, graphically there was much improvement, but when it comes to security and speed, any Linux variant would beat it.

Hi pres! Id started with window xp then ubuntu 1104 but i end up with linux mint 12(best distro so far). Its pretty past and virus free. Dropbox and Lamp server had no problem with this mint distro. And its highly customizable (gradient and transparent menu aand more).:thumbsup:

Hi pres! Id started with window xp then ubuntu 1104 but i end up with linux mint 12(best distro so far). Its pretty past and virus free. Dropbox and Lamp server had no problem with this mint distro. And its highly customizable (gradient and transparent menu aand more).:thumbsup:

Hello to you too. :) The first linux flavor I've tried was fedora, then I've switched to Ubuntu and currently running it now as my host OS. At the same time I have Windows 7 and Debian as my guest Os'. Next month am planning of trying out FreeBSD or any BSD variant.:beat:

Hello to you too. :) The first linux flavor I've tried was fedora, then I've switched to Ubuntu and currently running it now as my host OS. At the same time I have Windows 7 and Debian as my guest Os'. Next month am planning of trying out FreeBSD or any BSD variant.:beat:

ahh... You are a LINUX BABES.. Its pretty unusual for a girl to change distro almost every month...In my case ill just stick on my mint cause i need a friendly distro that can be handled by anybody. We use this distros in our business (free os/no license). Are you an IT or a programmer?:)

ahh... You are a LINUX BABES.. Its pretty unusual for a girl to change distro almost every month...In my case ill just stick on my mint cause i need a friendly distro that can be handled by anybody. We use this distros in our business (free os/no license). Are you an IT or a programmer?:)

:lol: Am not changing my host OS every other month. My main OS is still Ubuntu (Oneiric Ocelot). Am just trying out different LInux distros with virtual machines using VBox. So far, I haven't encountered nor experienced an OS (out of all the ones that I've tried) that's better than my Oneiric Ocelot, until then I won't be switching out of Ubuntu as my main OS. Those OS that I've said I'm trying out are only through virtual machines. :beat:

I'm sort of in between. I'm in the IT field and I do some programming. How about you?

:lol: Am not changing my host OS every other month. My main OS is still Ubuntu (Oneiric Ocelot). Am just trying out different LInux distros with virtual machines using VBox. So far, I haven't encountered nor experienced an OS (out of all the ones that I've tried) that's better than my Oneiric Ocelot, until then I won't be switching out of Ubuntu as my main OS. Those OS that I've said I'm trying out are only through virtual machines. :beat:

I'm sort of in between. I'm in the IT field and I do some programming. How about you?

Im in spareparts business but i love programming(as a begginer vb, php:))...No formal programming training (books and research). Hope for some inputs from you as my new trainor:)

Last edited:

Im in spareparts business but i love programming(as a begginer vb, php:))...

I see. So do you have any parts to spare? :lol: Kidding!!!

Good for you! Programming is a very good hobby. I'm trying to focus on one task at a time, and right now I want to do shell scripting in Linux.

I see. So do you have any parts to spare? :lol: Kidding!!!

Good for you! Programming is a very good hobby. I'm trying to focus on one task at a time, and right now I want to do shell scripting in Linux.

Ok Good night!!!;)

Last edited:

all i can say is WOW!!! i have some problem with my mint. i cant edit the opacity of my popup menu hope you can find the solution(/usr/share/gnome-shell)..:)

i've always have spare TIME not parts for you. Basta ikaw ako ang kawawa hahahaha:excited::excited:

Ok Good night!!!;)

:lmao: That was funny! The first time I've typed it, I meant to type TIME not PARTS! But you said you're in the spareparts business so yeah, I was just trying to make you laugh. :lol:

I'll try to look around tomorrow for the solution for your pop up menu. Am too sleepy now. Goodnight.:pray:

I have tried so many distros pero sa gentoo lang din ang bagsak ko. Windows ang main ko dahil sa VS at gaming ko. Sobrang stable na ng NT ngayon hindi ako nakakaranas ng BSOD samatalang sa Linux, isang update ko lang kernel panic na agad, kaya papalit palit ako ng distro.

I have tried so many distros pero sa gentoo lang din ang bagsak ko. Windows ang main ko dahil sa VS at gaming ko. Sobrang stable na ng NT ngayon hindi ako nakakaranas ng BSOD samatalang sa Linux, isang update ko lang kernel panic na agad, kaya papalit palit ako ng distro.

I haven't encountered kernel panic yet, and I'm always updating my kernel, am now using linux 3.0.0.15-generic. Maybe you should try to compile the Linux kernel from the source. Haven't tried it yet though. But then again, it really depends on the user, we all have different needs when it comes to computing.

Hi pres! Thank you so much for the precious TIME you had spent just to give me relief or solution to my menu problem. Thank you so much.:salute:

You're welcome ;)

how was your mint 12 experience? Did you tried it? :)

Not yet, although I have the installer now, my problem is I don't have enough Hard Drive space to backup my data on Ubuntu, I have a huge collection of movies that is too precious for me, so am gonna have to wait for my external HD, nasa store pa, di ko pa nabili..:lol:

Actually, I'm gonna borrow or rent my friend's external HD tomorrow if I can, so I can try out Mint this weekend.

Not yet, although I have the installer now, my problem is I don't have enough Hard Drive space to backup my data on Ubuntu, I have a huge collection of movies that is too precious for me, so am gonna have to wait for my external HD, nasa store pa, di ko pa nabili..:lol:

Actually, I'm gonna borrow or rent my friend's external HD tomorrow if I can, so I can try out Mint this weekend.

talking about backup. I used DROPBOX (clouding). No matter what distruction you incountered your data are still intact.,,:)

Last edited:

dumodugo ang ilong ko tuwing binabasa ko mga post nyo dito :chair: hehe nice discussion thread na lang maisasagot ko :slap:

Back
Top Bottom