Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Let's Talk About Operating Systems

Which OS is best for desktop computers?

• Windows

Votes: 499 79.6%
  • GNU/Linux distros

Votes: 99 15.8%
  • MacOS

Votes: 25 4.0%
  • BSD

Votes: 4 0.6%

• Total voters
http://www.symbianize.com/showthread.php?p=11651324#post11651324
http://www.symbianize.com/showthread.php?p=11500976#post11500976
http://www.symbianize.com/showthread.php?p=11369750#post11369750
http://www.symbianize.com/showthread.php?p=10855330#post10855330
http://www.symbianize.com/showthread.php?p=10905373#post10905373

The above links was my mint before.....

and now my mint most of the time looks like this(image 1)....
scaled.php

Pag mag sawa ka na sa kaka customize babalik ka sa basic...Mas madali mag browse pag pure text ang kaharap mo. You will not be disturb by some animated images which is most of the time are all ads...

Pwedeng pwede sa inventory or payroll..
Ito yung sample ko(image 2) . This is my recent program using php,javascript,html and wamp server.
scaled.php

everytime you click a row on this top form(dialog form) a prompt for quantity will appear and if you click ok the selected row will print to the main form. In short you can let the two forms communicate with its other and take note this is not vb(visual basic) or any stand alone application but a browser on a web base development. Thats how php-jvascript-html works. And in the future most of our application will be on the web so why not start on web development.:)

wow! sobrang astig naman po ng system niyo.. parang yan po ung nakikita kong system na ginagawa ng mga classmate ko using VB.. astig! :praise:

pure text desktop?. i think i will be bored on that interface sir ^_^
actually im liking the two OSes ubuntu and LM13 pero syempre i have to choose 1. ubuntu looks like eat lots of RAM then ung LM13 di siya ganun masyado.. correct me if im wrong in my observation ^_^

thanks for your respond kuya jer...

error: hd0 out of disk
press any key to continue...

---
help anyone??? :weep:

1. New install? Or previously working and then this problem happened one day?

2. Puno na po ba ang hard drive? http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/error-hd0-out-of-disk-880748/#post4356929

3. Netbook/notebook po ba or desktop? http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ub...-grub-rescue-error-out-disk-2.html#post796850

4. Not sure if this will help too...seems related to #2: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1919809

5. Ano pala ang Linux OS na gamit, Ubuntu or something else? Fresh install or upgrade? https://www.linux.com/community/for...-hd0-out-of-disk-boot-error/limit/20/offset/0

actually im liking the two OSes ubuntu and LM13 pero syempre i have to choose 1. ubuntu looks like eat lots of RAM then ung LM13 di siya ganun masyado.. correct me if im wrong in my observation ^_^

thanks for your respond kuya jer...

My opinion regarding "less vs. more consumption on resource": the answer will depend on your current hardware specs. As they say in computer hardware/hardware enthusiasts, "unused resources are wasted resources". So if your rig is a high-end one, I wouldn't worry too much about resources usage. Though Ubuntu is comparatively "heavy" in terms of resource compared to other Linux-based Distros, when compared to MS Windows eh mas magaang pa rin ang Ubuntu sa resource consumption.

If you're tight on budget or have low system specs, then yes it would matter. But then again, "less vs. more resource consumption" cannot be an apple-to-apple comparison unless you are comparing resource consumption based on default installation only (meaning wala kayong ni-install na mga "eye candy" like desktop effects). Ibig sabihin, maaaring maging mag "resource-hungry" pa rin ang Linux Mint depende kung ano po ang mga ni-install ninyo after the default installation. Anyway, Linux Mint is Ubuntu-based so, anything that can be installed or uninstalled in Ubuntu, puwede rin sa Linux Mint. In fact you can 'transform" a regular Ubuntu into Linux Mint, and vice-versa. Yan po ang Linux...freedom. :) You can customize your OS the way you want it to. Puwede ninyong gawing matipid sa resource or mabigat sa resource kahit pa Ubuntu or Linux Mint ang gamit ninyo. It will really depend on the user.

Last edited:
Puwedeng-puwede naman pong ma-install yan. Nasa Software Center lang, search na lang po. Just make sure you have Internet connection available.

And by the way, a lot of Programming Languages are "cross-platform" ("cross-platform" = puwede sa Windows, puwede sa Linux) so normally hindi ninyo kailangang mag-alala kung sa Windows kayo gagamit or sa Linux....lalo na kanyo at nagsisimula pa lang kayo. Just in case you didn't know, most (if not all) Operating Systems are created using the same Programming Language, which is the C Programming Language (and some others), mapa-Windows man yan or Linux.

Very subjective question sir. It's like asking all of the people here: "What is the best color?" :) And when we ask people what the best color is, alam natin na walang sagot dun....or at least, walang tama or maling sagot. Lalo na, yung tanong ninyo ay subjective (ano ang mas maganda "visually").

As the others have mentioned, Linux Mint is actually based in Ubuntu anyway. So, just go with whatever your heart desires. ;)

Example kung bakit ko nasabing subjective ang question: just to give you a trivia, kaya nabuo ang Linux Mint (or at least kaya naging ganyan ang look-and-feel ng latest version/Version 13) is because ang opinion naman ng iba is nagsasawa or ayaw nila yung hitsura (look-and-feel) naman ng User Interface ng Ubuntu (the Unity interface). Pero para sa inyo naman, mas gusto ninyo ang look-and-feel ng Ubuntu compared sa Linux Mint. So it will be like a "chicken-and-egg" kind of argument (which came first, the chicken or the egg?)...magiging paikot-ikot lang ang usapan kumbaga.

thank you kuya topet for your response.
actually im not expecting the right answer and as you said, wala naman pong tamang sagot sa tanong ko..
gusto ko lang po malaman ung "Overview" ng mga OSes. kasi po for example 1 user will tell maganda si ubuntu kasi ganito then 1 user will tell maganda si LM13 kasi ganyan.

so makikita ko while reading their response kung ano ung Pros and Cons ng both OSes na..

kung baga hitting two birds in one stone na ung tanong ko ^_^

and sir actually i want to really focus in programming kasi na-eenganyo ako sa mga program. just like kuya jer's example sobrang astig! so gusto ko na talaga maging programmer within sa Linux platform ^_^

para maiba lang ^_^

thanks po mga kuya!

1. New install? Or previously working and then this problem happened one day?

2. Puno na po ba ang hard drive? http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/error-hd0-out-of-disk-880748/#post4356929

3. Netbook/notebook po ba or desktop? http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ub...-grub-rescue-error-out-disk-2.html#post796850

4. Not sure if this will help too...seems related to #2: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1919809

5. Ano pala ang Linux OS na gamit, Ubuntu or something else? Fresh install or upgrade? https://www.linux.com/community/for...-hd0-out-of-disk-boot-error/limit/20/offset/0

My opinion regarding "less vs. more consumption on resource": the answer will depend on your current hardware specs. As they say in computer hardware/hardware enthusiasts, "unused resources are wasted resources". So if your rig is a high-end one, I wouldn't worry too much about resources usage. Though Ubuntu is comparatively "heavy" in terms of resource compared to other Linux-based Distros, when compared to MS Windows eh mas magaang pa rin ang Ubuntu sa resource consumption.

If you're tight on budget or have low system specs, then yes it would matter. But then again, "less vs. more resource consumption" cannot be an apple-to-apple comparison unless you are comparing resource consumption based on default installation only (meaning wala kayong ni-install na mga "eye candy" like desktop effects). Ibig sabihin, maaaring maging mag "resource-hungry" pa rin ang Linux Mint depende kung ano po ang mga ni-install ninyo after the default installation. Anyway, Linux Mint is Ubuntu-based so, anything that can be installed or uninstalled in Ubuntu, puwede rin sa Linux Mint. In fact you can 'transform" a regular Ubuntu into Linux Mint, and vice-versa. Yan po ang Linux...freedom. :) You can customize your OS the way you want it to. Puwede ninyong gawing matipid sa resource or mabigat sa resource kahit pa Ubuntu or Linux Mint ang gamit ninyo. It will really depend on the user.

yup just like topet said. baka po puno na ung hard drive..
or maybe some of your data files may not be readable so it displays you an error.

so first thing you should try is try another drive if nag run siya w/o error. then we point out the problem. ung hard drive mismo.

then we will start now to fix the hard drive ^_^

meron po kasi akong netbook and Desktop PC. sa netbook ko LM13 then sa desktop is ubuntu 12.04 LTS

from MS w7 to LM13 ung netbook ko bumagal mag boot. then mas umiinit na siya than using MS W7 bumilis din ang battery life.

sa ubuntu naman in my Desktop is ok naman no know problem. and i think becuase 4GB ung RAM ko and pretty high end specs ung Processor and board ko.

one last stupid question nalang po mga kuya ate, are you suggesting me to use Linux(Ubuntu,LM13) in programming or i should use MS W7??

and by the way im planning to use Oracle as my PL.

or maybe some of your data files may not be readable so it displays you an error.

so first thing you should try is try another drive if nag run siya w/o error. then we point out the problem. ung hard drive mismo.

meron po kasi akong netbook and Desktop PC. sa netbook ko LM13 then sa desktop is ubuntu 12.04 LTS

from MS w7 to LM13 ung netbook ko bumagal mag boot. then mas umiinit na siya than using MS W7 bumilis din ang battery life.

sa ubuntu naman in my Desktop is ok naman no know problem. and i think becuase 4GB ung RAM ko and pretty high end specs ung Processor and board ko.

one last stupid question nalang po mga kuya ate, are you suggesting me to use Linux(Ubuntu,LM13) in programming or i should use MS W7??

Depende po kasi kung ano ang target platform ng produkto ng pag-program ninyo, kaya mapapansin ninyo ang mga response namin ay hindi kumikiling sa kung anong OS ang dapat gamitin. :) Karamihan sa mga Programming Languages ay cross-platform, meaning for example balak ninyong gumamit ng Python. Puwede po sa Windows gumamit ng Python, puwede rin sa Linux. Ganun din ang C. Or Ruby, or Java. Hindi naman po OS-centric ang mga programming languages (at least a lot of them), kasi in the first place halos lahat naman ng OS ay ginawa using same programming language.

Hu7wg muna ninyong isipin kung aling OS ang gagamitin, kung ang main objective ninyo is how to learn programming. At this point in your learning (and only at this point), think of the OS as paper. Then yung programming language, yun yung subject/lesson. You can use any paper you want if you're taking down notes of the subject/lesson naman diba? :)

check niyo po kung ok lahat ang driver niya..kung nakainstall lahat..type niyo sa run devmgmt.msc para macheck kung ok lahat ng driver..kapag may question mark that means may kulang na driver o corrupted..:)

sir. wala naman po kulang. ang ginawa ko nga po, ni`uninstall ko yung realtek na driver ng lan ko, tapos ininstall ko, mga isang araw, naging okay siya, tapos ngaun bumalik nanaman siya. :weep:

Installing LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) On Linux Mint

Through this tutorial, you'll learn how to Install Apache, MySQL and PHP.

If you're a webpage designer or developer and use PHP, mySQL and Apache, you'll be needing these applications to be installed. When I istalled Mint, I was looking for a way to install LAMP and found a tutorial on a website by somebody named "Cargoship". That tutorial was for ubuntu. But I installed it on my Linux mint, and it is working.

In this guide I will show you how to install a LAMP system. LAMP stands for Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP. The guide is intended to help those who have very little knowlegde of using Linux.

We will not cover how to install Linux the L of LAMP, because Linux Mint is already installed in your computer.

Install Apache
To start off we will install Apache.

1. Open up the Terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal).

2. Copy/Paste or type the following line of code into Terminal and then press enter:

sudo apt-get install apache2
3. The Terminal will then ask you for you're password, type it and then press enter.

Testing Apache
To make sure everything installed correctly we will now test Apache to ensure it is working properly.

1. Open up any web browser and then enter the following into the web address:

http://localhost/

You should see a folder entitled apache2-default/. Open it and you will see a message saying "It works!" , congrats to you! or something like that!

Install PHP
In this part we will install PHP 5.

Step 1. Again open up the Terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal).

Step 2. Copy/Paste or type the following line into Terminal and press enter:

sudo apt-get install php5 libapache2-mod-php5
Step 3. In order for PHP to work and be compatible with Apache we must restart Apache. Type the following code in Terminal to do this:

sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Test PHP
To ensure there are no issues with PHP let's give it a quick test run.

Step 1. In the terminal copy/paste or type the following line:

sudo gedit /var/www/testphp.php
This will open up a file called testphp.php.

Step 2. Copy/Paste this line into the phptest file:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Step 3. Save and close the file.

Step 4. Now open you're web browser and type the following into the web address:

http://localhost/testphp.php

(It will show you the page that has all information about your php. If you have prior experience of installing php in some other OS, you must have seen this page.)

Congrats you have now installed both Apache and PHP!

Install MySQL
To finish this guide up we will install MySQL.

Step 1. Once again open up the amazing Terminal and then copy/paste or type this line:

sudo apt-get install mysql-server
Step 2 (optional). In order for other computers on your network to view the server you have created, you must first edit the "Bind Address". Begin by opening up Terminal to edit the my.cnf file.

gksudo gedit /etc/mysql/my.cnf
Change the line

bind-address = 127.0.0.1

And change the 127.0.0.1 to your IP address.

(In Linux Mint 11, terminal itself asked to the set password, But if it doesn't follow the step 3.)

Step 3. This is where things may start to get tricky. Begin by typing the following into Terminal:

mysql -u root
Following that copy/paste or type this line:

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('yourpassword');
(Make sure to change yourpassword to a password of your choice.)

Step 4. We are now going to install a program called phpMyAdmin which is an easy tool to edit your databases. Copy/paste or type the following line into Terminal:

sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-auth-mysql php5-mysql phpmyadmin
After that is installed our next task is to get PHP to work with MySQL. To do this we will need to open a file entitled php.ini. To open it type the following:

gksudo gedit /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
Now we are going to have to uncomment the following line by taking out the semicolon (;).

Change this line:

;extension=mysql.so

To look like this:

extension=mysql.so

Now just restart Apache and you are all set!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you get a 404 error upon visiting http://localhost/phpmyadmin: You will need to configure apache2.conf to work with Phpmyadmin.

sudo gedit /etc/apache2/apache2.conf
Include the following line at the bottom of the file, save and quit.

Include /etc/phpmyadmin/apache.conf

Then just restart Apache

credits to mysoomro :salute:

Last edited:
gusto ko lang po malaman ung "Overview" ng mga OSes. kasi po for example 1 user will tell maganda si ubuntu kasi ganito then 1 user will tell maganda si LM13 kasi ganyan.
o makikita ko while reading their response kung ano ung Pros and Cons ng both OSes na..

kung baga hitting two birds in one stone na ung tanong ko ^_^

and sir actually i want to really focus in programming kasi na-eenganyo ako sa mga program. just like kuya jer's example sobrang astig! so gusto ko na talaga maging programmer within sa Linux platform ^_^

para maiba lang ^_^

thanks po mga kuya!

talking about resources usage for me importante yun. Our hardware always late compared to OSes in terms of updates. Halimbawa yung hardware ko ay 2 years old na then im using an OS which is design for the current hardware so behind na yung hardware ko at present. Kong yung hardware ko hindi masisira for the next 5 years does the latest mint of that time will run properly with my current hardware? Dyan mag lalaro yung OS na medyo kunti ang kinakain na resources at least alam mo na if you continue using your current OS which nakasanayan mo na ang structure medyo malalaki ang allowance for the future na mag run yung latest update of the said OS sa old hardware mo(in real world everybody were saving everything)..

If you choose thing in this world base sa nakikita mo(visually) then sir Top is right. but if you choose something using your feelings(yung puso mo) ibang usapan yun. In terms of OSes everybody loves quickness,less virus,less hassle.....etc and those thing cannot be measured thru your eyes but can only be measured by your heart. Try choose something more deeper. Masyadong mababaw yung bases from outside beauty it will not last long(kahit miss universe pa yung asawa mo pag walang puso wala yun hehehehehe)..

I'm from VB6 pero sir billgates shutdown that language wala nang support so php na ako ngayon. and for begginer mas madali ma tutunan yung php compare to C.....language.

Last edited:

credits to mysoomro :salute:

@PentiumOne
Learn first html and javascript walang kakailanganin na software yan to download...just a plain text editor and you can start playing the latter language..

Mint/Ubuntu installation for lamp:
sudo apt-get install lamp-server^
Window intallaltion for wamp:
download wamp then click the exe file and next,,,,,,,just follow the instruction that's it..

Last edited:
Depende po kasi kung ano ang target platform ng produkto ng pag-program ninyo, kaya mapapansin ninyo ang mga response namin ay hindi kumikiling sa kung anong OS ang dapat gamitin. :) Karamihan sa mga Programming Languages ay cross-platform, meaning for example balak ninyong gumamit ng Python. Puwede po sa Windows gumamit ng Python, puwede rin sa Linux. Ganun din ang C. Or Ruby, or Java. Hindi naman po OS-centric ang mga programming languages (at least a lot of them), kasi in the first place halos lahat naman ng OS ay ginawa using same programming language.

Hu7wg muna ninyong isipin kung aling OS ang gagamitin, kung ang main objective ninyo is how to learn programming. At this point in your learning (and only at this point), think of the OS as paper. Then yung programming language, yun yung subject/lesson. You can use any paper you want if you're taking down notes of the subject/lesson naman diba? :)

GETS! thanks you so much kuya topet

napansin ko lang po.. madalas mo masabi ang C, Ruby, Java? ok ba siya pag aralan?

oracle?

@PentiumOne
Learn first html and javascript walang kakailanganin na software yan to download...just a plain text editor and you can start playing the latter language..

Mint/Ubuntu installation for lamp:
sudo apt-get install lamp-server^
Window intallaltion for wamp:
download wamp then click the exe file and next,,,,,,,just follow the instruction that's it..

hmmmm....

napapaisip na ako sa world of programming ah.. sa sobrang daming PL di ko alam kung ano gagawin ko. ehehe

and sabi nga po ni kuya top, "ano ba ung nature ng pag gagawan ko" basically wala akong company na pag gagawan its for myself lang to learn. but if time comes na grumaduate na ako syempre dapat meron na akong gagawan ng system..

so i want to learn a programming language na mag bebenifit ako.
for example ung programming language na most common sa work field or ung kahit free-lance programmer ka lang is makaka kuha ka ng raket ^^.

ok po ung suggestion niyo kuya jer. but i think ung magagawang ko na system basically a website.

ok lang po ang website building pero mas satingin ko okay ako sa system na what do you call this ung tipong hindi siya pang website.. ^^.

di ko pa po alam ung term pero hope nagegets niyo what i mean.

and gaya nga po ng sabi ni nmsis.

wag daw po muna ako mag dive-in to programming if i dont know the "Basics".

question is? what are the "Basics" to learn to know programming. ^_^ i think wrong section na po ata ako sa tanong ko ^_^ sana masagot padin

and gaya nga po ng sabi ni nmsis.

wag daw po muna ako mag dive-in to programming if i dont know the "Basics".

question is? what are the "Basics" to learn to know programming. ^_^ i think wrong section na po ata ako sa tanong ko ^_^ sana masagot padin

Para sa akin hindi ka na out of topic subrang haba ang perimeter of this thread its all about operating system and programming is part of operating system...

If you buy book first page may be table of content den introduction den content..ganoon then yung language of programming each language may basic. So pili ka muna den try the basic if yun ang type mo den continue exploring that language.

I always understand you. galing ako dyan nangangapa how to program. I start programming 3 years ago na walang kaalam alam about computer i dont even know how to browse the internet. talagang zero if you talk about computer. VB6 yung starting point ko (tuitorial class 6 meetings and 3 hours per meeting). Then research.........Yung php ko pure books lang lahat yun.. I recommend you to read books(e books). this is more better than clicking partial tuitorial on the web..Sa book kasi there is an introduction then the theory then the actual cooding(pre arrange na kasi)....Importatnte kasi yung basic or theory after the theory madali nalang makadiskarte of how to do it..Annd the most important thing is your passion ton learn programming pag wala yun wala kang mararating....

note: Try my simple sample on post #1179 page 118 inside this thread that is the basic of html...

Last edited:
hmmmm....

napapaisip na ako sa world of programming ah.. sa sobrang daming PL di ko alam kung ano gagawin ko. ehehe

and sabi nga po ni kuya top, "ano ba ung nature ng pag gagawan ko" basically wala akong company na pag gagawan its for myself lang to learn. but if time comes na grumaduate na ako syempre dapat meron na akong gagawan ng system..

so i want to learn a programming language na mag bebenifit ako.
for example ung programming language na most common sa work field or ung kahit free-lance programmer ka lang is makaka kuha ka ng raket ^^.

ok po ung suggestion niyo kuya jer. but i think ung magagawang ko na system basically a website.

ok lang po ang website building pero mas satingin ko okay ako sa system na what do you call this ung tipong hindi siya pang website.. ^^.

di ko pa po alam ung term pero hope nagegets niyo what i mean.

Note yung html-javascript-php-mysql combination ay mag run yan kahit walang net in short it can act like a standalone program. ang maganda doon ay pwede pang standalone at the same time ready for the big thing which is the web.almost 99% of the code hindi na gagalawin for the apps to run on the web.. Diba hitting two birds in one stone?

And php can create a console apps(black screen)..Its hitting 3 birds in one stone hehehehe...pasinsya na ha medyo joker lang...

Last edited:
ok nga po ung joker kesa serious ^_^

i myself is a joker..

ok ok.. i will try first VB.NET ^_^

thanks! VB.Net in Linux sana possible ^_^

ok nga po ung joker kesa serious ^_^

i myself is a joker..

ok ok.. i will try first VB.NET ^_^

thanks! VB.Net in Linux sana possible ^_^

originally pang windows lang siya, pero may mono na para magamit mo ang .net sa linux

pano po kaya makakapag install ng photoshop sa linux

try install gimp yan ang alternative sa photoshop for linux...And if you are inside linux kalimutan mo na si windows kung maari try find alternative apps na gigngamit mo palagi sa window na pang linux.

lists of linux a;ternative
photoshop = GIMP
vb = GAMBAS/ PHP GTK
Moffice = Libre OFfice
Autocad = Draftsight
Max = Blender

marami pa......research lang

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom