Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

[MUST READ] RAM: What it is, how it's used in Android, and why you shouldn't care

Do you agree?

• Total voters

Gboydroid

Symbianize Shaman
Veteran Member
Reaction score
[MUST READ] RAM: What it is, how it's used in Android, and why you shouldn't care

I just wanted to share this article i found on the web. Credits to the article writer JERRY HILDENBRAND from Android Central.

Swap-increase-RAM-available-Android-300x300.png

RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care.

ram_manager.jpg

Many of you guys know me, and how I am (if you don't, imagine some godless mash-up of anal retentiveness and OCD), so you know this is something that just had to be addressed or I would never sleep well at night again. Which leads us to here and now. The answer to the question is pretty easy -- user madness and FUD forced manufacturers to add some sort of RAM-cleaning, task-killing, and problem-causing widget to current builds of their software. For most of us, the system running on our Android phones, and the way it handles RAM usage, is very different than what we are used to on our computers. If we take a few minutes to understand the way RAM is managed on our phones, we'll not only be able to better interpret what that widget is telling us, but also understand why it doesn't really matter. Let's do that, after the break.

The 'Task Killer' debate

rambo.jpg

Every discussion about Android phones and tablets, and how they manage memory will eventually get to the Task Killer debate, so we're going to start with it. Simply put -- task managers are good; task killers are bad. In the hands of someone who is aware of what will happen when they stop a running application, a tool that easily lets them do it is a fine thing for everyone. It's a function built into every operating system, including Android. It's a useful debugging tool, and great for developers and power users alike. The problem is that if you're here at Android Central reading, you're either a power user already, or a power user in training and understand more than most people who just install TASK KILLBOT 2000 because the Market description said it will make your phone ZOMG FAST. You realize that killing the Mail app will stop you from getting mail, or that killing the system clock will make you late for work. Harriet Housewife, who just picked up her shiny new Android phone at the Verizon store doesn't -- and she doesn't have to -- unless she gives in to the FUD (or worse, some kid at a store who thinks task killers are a gift from Zeus himself) and installs the task killer. It's not her fault though, as it seems like every time you turn around someone, somewhere is saying that to get good battery life and ZOMG FAST you need to use one.

What is RAM?

ram_0.jpg

RAM (Random Access Memory) is storage used for a place to hold data. Think of it as a big filing cabinet that keeps things ready for the CPU in your phone to present it to your eyes and ears. It's infinitely (almost) re-writable, very fast, and used differently by different operating systems. Many of you guys understand what it is, how it works, and what I'm explaining -- but we're going to try and break it down so that more normal and well-adjusted people can follow along.

RAM is used for one reason only. Reading and writing to file storage (as in reading and writing to your hard drive in your computer, or your internal memory/SD card on your phone) is terribly slow. Solid-state "disks," like what's used in our Android devices and what a lot of geeks people use as hard drives in their computers, are faster than spinning disk platters (normal computer hard drives), but using it to cache the data we need is still a lot slower that using dedicated, solid-state RAM. RAM is cheap. The bus (a pathway for the electrical signals to travel along) between the CPU and the RAM is fast, and everything is kept orderly and easy to retrieve. It's also resource friendly to read and write to it. Without it, computers of all sizes would suck a lot more.

Running applications

ram_monitor_red.jpg

Widgets and apps that monitor the apps "running" (quotes intended) aren't inherently evil. We're going to pick on Samsung here, but Motorola, HTC, and the rest all do the same thing in different ways. And what they are doing isn't inherently bad -- people have been using tools like Torsmo and Rainmeter to show a fancy graph of their RAM right where they can see it for a while, and nobody has been hurt (yet). But when that little widget turns bright red like it's screaming "Danger, Will Robinson!" with no explanation, it's time to step in and try to explain the process.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Android, like Mac OS and Ubuntu, wants to use all the RAM it can, because that's how it was designed to work. There are settings (in Android we call them "minfree" settings) to tell the system how much RAM to leave free and available, but the rest is designed to fill up as fast as possible and stay that way.

You're probably thinking "What's it filling up with?" That's a great question. After the system, graphics, radios, and any other tweaks to RAM are done loading, the rest is there to load apps into memory, right up to the point where the OS says to stop. Load the app as it's being used, and keep it there for the next time until it needs flushed to free space for something else. The more you use the system, the better it gets at keeping the right things loaded and ready to go. Think about how you use your phone -- you might have 100 apps installed, but there are a few you always are opening and using. Eventually, most of those apps will be stored in your RAM, simply because you're always opening them and loading them into the RAM if they weren't already there -- and "erasing" other apps that were there first. Loading an app from your storage takes longer, is harder on the battery, and overall worse than loading it from it's cached position in RAM.

Consider this -- Jerry did/said/thought something that made his wife mad (yes, she can read my thoughts), so he bought flowers from the 7-Eleven and wants to make a mix CD of her favorite Rod Stewart songs to give to her and get his ass out of the doghouse. It could happen. Consider which is more efficient:

Burn 20 songs to a CD, give to wife, and smile while she plays it.
Burn one song to a CD, let her listen, then erase it and burn the next song.
That's what your phone (or tablet) has to consider. Loading Google Talk to RAM once, and having it there to open almost instantly is far better than loading it each and every time you want to use it. So why kill it off? It's not like you'll never use it again, and nothing else is going to use that RAM while it's sitting empty -- at that point, it's wasted space. You will also use a lot more battery power re-opening Talk every time you get a message than you will by having the zeros held as ones on your RAM. The folks who built Android really did know what they were doing when it comes to memory management. After the parameters are set, and the amount the OS can use to "swap" for it's normal operations, the rest is simply wasted if we're not using it. What is cached in RAM is just sitting there, not using any CPU cycles, but ready to get pushed to the front and appear on the screen as fast as it can, and not use the extra battery needed to start it up from disk again.

But Task Killers and freeing RAM made my <insert old Android phone> better!

frankenphone.jpg

Having 4MB of RAM made old Windows 3.1 computers better, too. Android, and the hardware it runs on, evolves in our hands -- it gets better with every new release. The software is better, the hardware is better, and the folks writing the apps are getting better at it with better tools. We're going to use the HTC Hero as an example here, because we don't talk about the HTC Hero enough anymore.

By today's standards, the hardware and the software on the Hero suck. It sucked the same when it was new, but at the time we didn't have Bionic's or Thrill 4G's to compare it to. We only knew that there were three ways to make it run faster -- yank HTC Sense off of it, use a task killer, or tweak the system a whole helluva lot. Two of those options need root access -- so that puts 90+ percent of users out of the picture.

Normal people don't root their phones, and Harriet Housewife (or Tommy Textgod) are normal. They bought a phone that could do more than any other phone they ever used before, so they tried to do it all. Android and HTC Sense weren't near as good at managing themselves and their memory needs back then, and having the RAM full meant that there wasn't quite enough left over to run the user interface as fast as it did when the RAM was empty. Hackers soon found that tweaking the existing settings that decide how much RAM to keep free did a wonderful job at fixing that issue, and we all were happy. But if you didn't want to hack your phone, you had the option of just living with it being slow every once in a while or using a task killer to free up some RAM. I'll bet most people just lived with it (the number of people who installed a task killer is waaayyy smaller than the number of people who bought an old Hero, Eris, Cliq, or Behold), but people who spent any time on the Internet fell victim to the lure of a task killer. Soon, forums across the web filled with tales of woe about things not working right -- because everyone was randomly killing off important system processes and apps that needed to stay running.

There were also issues with apps. A correctly coded app that uses a ton of resources, let's say Plants vs. Zombies, gobbles up a bunch of your RAM while you're using it, but gracefully exits and purges itself when it's done. That means the RAM is free, being wasted, and needs filled up again when you load up Google Talk. When you're done chatting, Google Talk just gets sent to the background because it didn't have to take a ton of RAM and should stay loaded for the next time. When Android was shiny and new, a lot of apps that used an excessive amount of system resources didn't exit gracefully, and the OS struggled to purge RAM and load itself back to the foreground -- causing lag when you closed a big app. Sometimes the lag lasted a while, and people soon tired of it. Killing every damn process you can and jacking the free RAM up as high as possible, or even worse -- scheduling a task killer app to do it automatically every so often -- seemed like the best solution to a whole lot of people. We're mostly past that now. App developers are crafty, and the tools they have at their disposal mean that most of the time they get it right -- even on the first try.
Why it no longer matters

thumb_550_optimus_3d.jpg

Nowadays, the hardware in our phones is amazing and the software is very much improved. Android can manage memory rather well (and the settings are still there to tweak if you just have to touch stuff) and having up to 300 percent more RAM makes a huge difference. There will be a few times where killing off a handful of tasks will speed things up, but overall you'll get the best performance out of your phone or tablet if you stop worrying about it and let Android be Android. If you need to live on the edge (and I know a lot of you guys do) root and hack your phone with some amazazazing custom ROM that has everything tweaked and allows you to travel forward in time -- I'm right there with ya, cause it's fun as hell.

But don't worry about how many apps are running on your phone, or about using widgets that tell you these things, because it just doesn't matter anymore. We can't blame OEM's like Samsung for doing it -- it was inevitable with all the brouhaha out there, and some may even say necessary with earlier phones. I promise, this just isn't going to happen.

The END. hahahaha

Feel free to comment about this article. :salute:

Last edited:
Re: [MUST READ] RAM: What it is, how it's used in Android, and why you shouldn't care

i wonder why there is no comment in this thread..maybe poeple are tired...reading this long article ...i know how important the ram is..but all i know is ram for computers..but after reading this then..i think i have enought knowledge about ram in android..mobile phones..ahaha

Re: [MUST READ] RAM: What it is, how it's used in Android, and why you shouldn't care

OK. Ako magko-comment. Kasi isa ako sa latest android user na tuluyan nang naniwala na useless talaga gumamit ng mga RAM BOOSTERS or TASK KILLERS.

Pasensya na TS kung hindi ko na binasa ang article na post mo. Ang haba kasi, hehehe. Hindi ko tuloy alam kung nasabi na sa itaas or hindi pa. But this is what I learned.

Actually, hindi naman sa nakakasama ng todo. Pero the point is clear. Mas may negative impact ang paggamit ng mga task killers or memory booster kesa sa hindi paggamit. Why?

1. Yung mga task na pinapatay mo, mapapansin mong binubuhay pa rin ni android. Meron akong ginagamit na app, yung android assistant. Kada kill ko ng mga apps, pilit na nabubuhay pa rin sila. According sa nabasa ko, hindi naman kasi kailangang i-kill yung mga apps na yun. Kasi kahit naman buhay sila, kung hindi sila active, hindi sila magko-consume ng memory. At kapag meron ka pang ibang binuksang app na need ng memory, then ipagkakaloob ni android yung precious memory sa app na yun habang temporarily ite-terminate ni android yung mga memory alloted dun sa idle app. At dahil sa kapipilit i-kill yung app na nabubuhay din naman, this will lead us to the second negative effect, and that is...

2. Kapag gumamit ka ng task killers, mas taxing siya sa battery. Dahil mas malaki ang power requirements to open/run an app, pinahihirapan natin yung battery natin dahil bukas then kill, bukas then kill ulit, paulit-ulit na cycle lang ang nangyayari. Kaya tuloy mas bumibilis ma-lowbatt ang cellphone natin. Pero masyado tayong bilib sa mga task killers, not knowing na...

3. Hindi permanent ang effect ng mga ito. Surely, mapapansin mo na after using task killers, parang bumilis ang cellphone natin. Pero sa experience ko, after 5 minutes, balik na naman sa dati. And lastly...

4. Task killers are still apps. And any apps consumes system resources. So gagamit pa rin yan ng RAM, ng CPU power, ng battery. Mas lalo lang natin pinahirapan ang cellphone natin.

Anyways, lahat ng yan, na-experience ko. That's why I uninstalled all task killers I have and I just rely on the default RAM manager if the need arise. Pero kahit yang RAM manager mismo, bihira ko din gamitin. And I see so much improvement in my phone performance without these task killers. Mas naging maganda ang user-experience ko with my android.

Now what can we do to improve our android use? I only got three suggestions (assuming you have a rooted phone):

1. Uninstall all task killers
2. Use Link2SD and FREEZE the apps you don't need. Mas OK pa ang mag-freeze ng app kasi para ka na ring nag-a-uninstall ng mga useless apps kahit hindi naman.
3. Use SetCPU to maximize your phone's CPU use efficiently.
4. If you feel na medyo slow na talaga si cellphone, just restart your phone. Mas maganda pa ito para ma-refresh ang system.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

copy paste!!!! kasi..... kaya wala napansin... brief explanation dapat at papakita mo yung pros and cons in a bulleted manner...

Excuseme pooo!!... Mike Enriques... hehehe I didnt read the article.. kasi Its too long naman hehehehe...

By experience nalang.. pag nag clear ram ako.. before running a game.. or something... I experience less laggy phone... sometimes youtube would hang... and there is no way to close it... Wait may builtin nga palang taskManager sa android nasa Apps menu... at yung TaskManager.apk....

also If I'm not mistaken meron ding taskManager sa ubuntu linux... ang tawag ay system monitor...

Android comes from linux... kung di talaga kailangan ng taskmanager bakit yung mga bagong linux/windows etc which has 10x better memory management.. implements ctr+alt+del like taskmanagers.... sa windows...

Excuseme pooo!!... Mike Enriques... hehehe I didnt read the article.. kasi Its too long naman hehehehe...

By experience nalang.. pag nag clear ram ako.. before running a game.. or something... I experience less laggy phone... sometimes youtube would hang... and there is no way to close it... Wait may builtin nga palang taskManager sa android nasa Apps menu... at yung TaskManager.apk....

also If I'm not mistaken meron ding taskManager sa ubuntu linux... ang tawag ay system monitor...

Android comes from linux... kung di talaga kailangan ng taskmanager bakit yung mga bagong linux/windows etc which has 10x better memory management.. implements ctr+alt+del like taskmanagers.... sa windows...

Linux works differently from Windows in managing RAM. For more info about your query, you can refer HERE for a detailed explanation.

Here's the part that explains it all:

One thing that I forgot to even address here is that memory works a bit differently in linux than it does in Windows. In general the way memory works is you really only need as much as you plan on using. So if your combined running programs use 100mb of memory, 150mb is more than enough. There is no need to clear what’s running in memory before you hit that 150mb cap. Now in Windows it seems that the system performs a bit better when you have less stuff in memory, even if it’s not full. No doubt those who have been on computers for a while will remember there used to be programs that could clear your memory in Windows also.

Linux however isn’t generally affected by this. While I admit that I don’t know the architecture and reason for this… linux will run the same regardless of if you have 20mb free memory or 200mb. And as I outlined above, Android will automatically start to kill applications if you do get low on memory!

Last edited:

so bakit po naglagay pa sila ng option to kill programs if its not needed...

so bakit po naglagay pa sila ng option to kill programs if its not needed...

Because there will always be this short margin for error in terms of memory management. That's what this stock ram manager's purpose is. No need to install third-party app.

And again, nasabi ko sa itaas, if the need arises. Not always. Wala naman kasing perpektong system. At dahil diyan, android developers were able to still include a default RAM manager kung kailangang-kailangan.

i wonder why there is no comment in this thread..maybe poeple are tired...reading this long article ...i know how important the ram is..but all i know is ram for computers..but after reading this then..i think i have enought knowledge about ram in android..mobile phones..ahaha

OK. Ako magko-comment. Kasi isa ako sa latest android user na tuluyan nang naniwala na useless talaga gumamit ng mga RAM BOOSTERS or TASK KILLERS.

Pasensya na TS kung hindi ko na binasa ang article na post mo. Ang haba kasi, hehehe. Hindi ko tuloy alam kung nasabi na sa itaas or hindi pa. But this is what I learned.

Actually, hindi naman sa nakakasama ng todo. Pero the point is clear. Mas may negative impact ang paggamit ng mga task killers or memory booster kesa sa hindi paggamit. Why?

1. Yung mga task na pinapatay mo, mapapansin mong binubuhay pa rin ni android. Meron akong ginagamit na app, yung android assistant. Kada kill ko ng mga apps, pilit na nabubuhay pa rin sila. According sa nabasa ko, hindi naman kasi kailangang i-kill yung mga apps na yun. Kasi kahit naman buhay sila, kung hindi sila active, hindi sila magko-consume ng memory. At kapag meron ka pang ibang binuksang app na need ng memory, then ipagkakaloob ni android yung precious memory sa app na yun habang temporarily ite-terminate ni android yung mga memory alloted dun sa idle app. At dahil sa kapipilit i-kill yung app na nabubuhay din naman, this will lead us to the second negative effect, and that is...

2. Kapag gumamit ka ng task killers, mas taxing siya sa battery. Dahil mas malaki ang power requirements to open/run an app, pinahihirapan natin yung battery natin dahil bukas then kill, bukas then killulit, paulit-ulit na cycle lang ang nangyayari. Kaya tuloy mas bumibilis ma-lowbatt ang cellphone natin. Pero masyado tayong bilib sa mga task killers, not knowing na...

3. Hindi permanent ang effect ng mga ito. Surely, mapapansin mo na after using task killers, parang bumilis ang cellphone natin. Pero sa experience ko, after 5 minutes, balik na naman sa dati. And lastly...

4. Task killers are still apps. And any apps consumes system resources. So gagamit pa rin yan ng RAM, ng CPU power, ng battery. Mas lalo lang natin pinahirapan ang cellphone natin.

Anyways, lahat ng yan, na-experience ko. That's why I uninstalled all task killers I have and I just rely on the default RAM manager if the need arise. Pero kahit yang RAM manager mismo, bihira ko din gamitin. And I see so much improvement in my phone performance without these task killers. Mas naging maganda ang user-experience ko with my android.

Now what can we do to improve our android use? I only got three suggestions (assuming you have a rooted phone):

1. Uninstall all task killers
2. Use Link2SD and FREEZE the apps you don't need. Mas OK pa ang mag-freeze ng app kasi para ka na ring nag-a-uninstall ng mga useless apps kahit hindi naman.
3. Use SetCPU to maximize your phone's CPU use efficiently.

Hope this helps...
thanks for your infos and opinions regarding this topic. :)
copy paste!!!! kasi..... kaya wala napansin... brief explanation dapat at papakita mo yung pros and cons in a bulleted manner...

Na indicated ko na dun sa top page na galing ito sa author sa adroid central which i copied and paste here para ma share sa inyu.

i have also experience a bit laggy after clearing my ram on my retired MINI and ace as well as my S3.

@ all - Please do all read the whole article, para mas ma appreciate natin ang topic.

Warning: No flaming. :kill:

para iwas infra :rofl::lol: ok?

oi salamata dito TS....

:thanks: for the info.

sir pa help po samsung galaxy s 5.0, biglang namatay habang naglalaro ako, until now hindi ko na maopen, ive tried to hard format pero hindi din maopen, even sa pc ayaw din madetect

Grabe sulit na sulit ang pagbabasa ko. Marami akong natutunan dito. I'm the type of user na mahilig mag linis and now I know how to deal with Android. Salamat TS. 5 stars for this thread.

Grabe sulit na sulit ang pagbabasa ko. Marami akong natutunan dito. I'm the type of user na mahilig mag linis and now I know how to deal with Android. Salamat TS. 5 stars for this thread.

your :welcome: sir. it yung mga tipong member na gusto ko. Yung marunong mag basa talaga :thumbsup::salute:

"Let the Android be Android."
Astig talaga 'to master. XD

Nice article. I'm a Linux user (both in desktops and mobile...N900, N9, N950) so I have working/actual knowledge relating to the article.

Big emphasis on: Unused RAM is wasted RAM. :) This is something I agree with (and I always say as well in the Ubuntu Linux Thread). Trabaho ng RAM na mag-store, at sayang lang kung hindi na-utilize (because RAM is faster than storage - which is also the reason why we avoid using Swap space/partition).

Last edited:

:nice: boss marcon, now i know! habit ko kasi magkill ng magkill everytime maopen ko popon ko gamit taskmgr, at nilagyan ko pa ng auto kill every minute at autokill after standby. ngayon naunderstand ko na ang process nito, no need ko na iturn on everyminute yung autokill process. :thanks: dito boss... two :thumbsup: for this!

Last edited:

:thanks: sa info ts keep sharing

Thanks sa info TS!!..

:salute::salute::salute:

nabasa ko na to dati kaya hindi na ko gumagamit ng mga task killers or naiinis kapag konti nalang yung available ram dahil nasa ram na naman na yung mga apps na gusto ko iopen kaya mas mapapa bilis ang open nila.

Back
Top Bottom