Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

the PROMISES of MARRIAGE

Miss Red

The Saint
Advanced Member
Reaction score
A celebration of the SPECIAL LOVE and COMMITMENT Couples Share

This thread is a collection of works by authors
PABLO NERUDA
KAHLIL GIBRAN
RICHARD BACH
SUSAN POLIS SCHUTZ
and the
BLUE MOUNTAIN ARTS most popular contributors

May this thread inspire everyone whether you're
engaged,
newlyweds,
or celebrating anniversaries

The inspiring words and gentle advices will touch your heart in countless ways and help you REMEMBER all the REASONS why you chose to MARRY.

Wedding-Ring3.jpg

The promises of marriage are many.
They include...to love and comfort, to trust and respect, and to be there for each other always.
While every couple is different and promises they make are unique to them,
so many of the thoughts and emotions surrounding marriage are universal.

Wedding-Ring9.jpg

The highest happiness on earth is marriage.

William Lyon Phelps

Last edited:
Wedding-Ring6.jpg

Marriage is...

A commitment. Its success doesn't depend on feelings, circumstances, or moods - but on two people who are loyal to each other and the vows they took on their wedding day.

Hard work. It means chores, disagreements, misunderstandings, and times when you might not like each other very much. When you work at it together, it can be the greatest blessing in the world...

Marriage is...

A relationship where two people must listen, compromise, and respect. It's an arrangement that requires a multitude of decisions to be made together. Listening, respecting, and compromising go a long way toward keeping peace and harmony.

A union in which two people learn from their mistakes, accept each other faults, and willingly adjust behaviors that need to be changed. It's caring enough about each other to work through disappointing and hurtful times and believing in the love that brought you together in the first place.

Marriage is...

Patience and forgiveness. It's being open and honest, thoughtful and kind. Marriage means talking things out, making necessary changes, and forgiving each other. It's unconditional love at its most understanding and vulnerable - love that supports, comforts, and is determined to triumph over every challenge and adversity.

Marriage is a partnership of tow unique people who bring out the very best in each other and who know that even though they are wonderful as individuals...they are even better together.
Barbara Cage

Last edited:
When two people join together and bond their lives forever because they are certain they have something special that will make their marriage last...this is the first act of faith.

Upon this act of faith, these two people will build a life. And as long as their determination stays with them, this life will always be their hope, their dream, their truth, their being, their inspiration, and their source of strength.

Through their life together, they will hurt and laugh. Together, they will fell all of life's ups and downs. They will learn and grow through trial and error. The lessons will show them the meaning of true love and the difference between a love that lasts and on that just give up.

These two people will face each failure together and discover the strength to go on. They will encourage each other's dreams and forgive each other's fault.

Through a labor of love, these two will become as one - fighting against all odds and ultimately creating a marriage that will grow into an infinite love.

Regina Hills

Wedding-Ring19.jpg

We Are Not Meant to Go Through Life Alone

We need a partner in life who will forever remain by our side -
someone to lean on at times,
remembering, as well,
that we will be leaned on, too;
someone to share our joy
and hold us in sorrow.

Understand that there will be difficult times,
and doubt may cloud your lives.
It is then that you must
trust each other the most
and believe that love will sustain you.
Do not give up easily;
fight for what is most precious -
your marriage.
Help it survive
by nurturing it every single day.

Never hesitate to say "I love you"
or be the first one to say "I'm sorry."
Give a lot,
overlook even more,
and always expect as much in return.
Never look back
or lose yourself,
but celebrate the special privilege
of being couple.
Never lose sight
of what brought you to the altar
in the first place;
your special love for each other.
Cherish that always.

Linda Hersey

Last edited:
A DREAM COME TRUE

I used to dream
That someday I might find a lover
who would be tender, kind, and passionate,
someone whose my hear and fill me with sensations
I had only imagined
I would ever feel...
a partner who would show me
how love was meant to be.

I told myself that this was more
that I could hope for -
more than I could ever deserve.

I used to hope
that someday I might have a friend
who would know
what was deep inside my heart -
someone with whom I would be safe
to share my secrets, my dreams, my fantasies,
and my fears...
a friend whom I could always count on
to listen and to understand.

I told myself that this was
more than anyone could hope for
and much more than I
could ever be worthy of.

I never let my hear imagine
that I would find all this and more...
but that's what was waiting
for me in your arms.
I found the best friend
and the best lover
that I could ever have hoped for...
IN YOU.

Jason Blume

The Art of Marriage

Happiness in marriage in not something that just happens. A good must be created. In the art of marriage the little things are the big things.

It is never being too old to hold hands

It is remembering to say, "I love you." at least once each day

It is never going to sleep angry

it is at no time taking the other for granted; the courtship shouldn't end with the honeymoon, it should continue through all the years.

It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives; it is standing together facing the world.

It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family.

It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude of duly or sacrifice, but in spirit of joy.

It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.

It is not expecting the husband to wear a halo or the wife to have the wings of an angel. It is not looking for perfection in each other. It is cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding and a sense of humor.

It is having the capacity to forgive or forget.

It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow.

It is finding room for the thins of the spirit. It is a common search for the good and the beautiful.

It not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.

Wilfred A. Peterson

WHAT IS A HUSBAND?

He's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same... If all else perished and he remained, I should still continue to be, and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a might stranger...
He's always, always in my mind; not as a pleasure to myself, but as my own being.
Emily Bronte

A husband is a man who overlooks your bad points,
but doesn't overlook you.
He's someone who can make you feel beautiful
by a look in his eyes.
He knows when to wrap his arms around you to shield you
from the world and wen to leave you alone
if you need some space.
He gives you freedom to be your own person,
but is always available so that
you're never alone.
He shares what goes on his life
and cares about what goes around yours.
He's a part of you;
he's always on your mind and in your heart.
A husband is an irreplaceable person in your life -
he's a lover, a protector,
a companion, and a friend.
Barbara Cage

WHAT IS A WIFE

A wife cares for you soul, nurtures your heart, and teaches you purity and strength of an unconditional love.
Tim M. Krys

A wife is someone more special that words. She's love mixed with friendship and marriage bonded with hope, thanks, and joy. A wife is beauty and lasting togetherness, and there is no one more precious in the world.

A wife is one who inspires some of the most special moments two people have ever shared. A wife is a treasured perspective on the past, a reassuring part of the present, and a million wishes for all the days that lie ahead.

A wife is reminder of blessings that came from closeness. Sharing everything. Disclosing dreams. Learning about life together. She;s a hand within your hand and often the only one who understands. A wife is understanding and trust enfolded with love. She is a helper and guide, and she is a feeling deep inside that makes you realize, each and every day of your life, that there is no one who could ever be loved in the way a husband...loves his wife.
C. Martin

We Are Not Meant to Go Through Life Alone

We need a partner in life who will forever remain by our side -
someone to lean on at times,
remembering, as well,
that we will be leaned on, too;
someone to share our joy
and hold us in sorrow.

Understand that there will be difficult times,
and doubt may cloud your lives.
It is then that you must
trust each other the most
and believe that love will sustain you.
Do not give up easily;
fight for what is most precious -
your marriage.
Help it survive
by nurturing it every single day.

Never hesitate to say "I love you"
or be the first one to say "I'm sorry."
Give a lot,
overlook even more,
and always expect as much in return.
Never look back
or lose yourself,
but celebrate the special privilege
of being couple.
Never lose sight
of what brought you to the altar
in the first place;
your special love for each other.
Cherish that always.

Linda Hersey

nice Miss Red
:thumbsup:

True Love is "We" Instead of "Me"

True love is being the best of friends - being able to say and share while still being sensitive to the other's feeling.

True love is built upon completed trust - complete by knowing that you can never be deceitful or misleading, because to do so would forever cloud the relationship with doubt.

True love is knowing that you'd rather be with this person more than anyone else, and you feel a sense of emptiness when the two of you are apart.

It's when you always think of the future in terms of "we" instead of "me".

True love is treasuring the touch of each other person while feeling a sense of contentment and completeness as you emotionally and physically embrace.

It is wanting to make the other person happy and fulfilled in every possible way while doing everything you can to prevent their distress.

True love is a commitment to working out the differences that will always come about when two people become one.

It is knowing that life will bring pain and sorrow, but together, you will support each other and overcome even the most difficult times.

True love is showing and saying "I love you" even when you both know - through a simple smile - that doing so isn't necessary.

True love is complete within itself, and it lasts into eternity.

Tim Tweedie

nakaka inspired naman to ang sarap basa-basahin .. thanks sis :salute:

630thinkstock_holdinghands.jpg

By Pierra Calasanz-Labrador for Yahoo! Southeast Asia

You vowed to love each other for better or for worse, till death do you part…but how do you keep these promises from sounding like a death sentence when the honeymoon is over?

Happily married couples often share that the secret to their longevity is treating their spouse as their lover as well as their best friend. For a professional perspective on making relationships go the distance, we chatted with Pilar Tolentino, Executive Director of Center for Family Ministries (CEFAM).

Be pro-active about your issues
Gone are the days when couples counseling meant you were headed for splitsville. Instead of being confused by conflicting unsolicited advice, many modern couples seek professional or spiritual guidance from a neutral third party. Tolentino shares: "There are different reasons couples come to counseling: the need for clarification on certain issues like parenting, roles and expectations; because of a current crisis like accidents, death, or financials; or to find healing like in cases of infidelity. A common factor is to seek assistance in understanding, accepting, and healing a current situation that is causing pain or confusion in the relationship."

The element of surprise
Every so often, do something unexpected to keep the passion alive. Says Tolentino, "Simple thoughtful acts—like surprise visit to his/her office for a lunch date, love-notes, weekend getaways, cooking special meals, giving gifts even when there's no occasion, a soothing massage—can add flavor to daily routines as a couple."

Put your partner before your pride
Instead of playing the blame game, put yourself in your spouse's shoes and see the situation from his point of view. Review your 1 Corinthians 13. "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs."

Cool off before saying something hurtful
Newlyweds are always advised to "never let the sun set on an argument," but when you're boiling mad, someone's definitely sleeping on the couch. Tolentino shares, "It's probably not literally 'sleeping angry,' but do not let an argument go unresolved. Dialogue when each of you has cooled down. If an agreement is not yet possible at that point, at least acknowledge and respect the spouse's feelings. Seek assistance, like counseling, if this will help." Sometimes, it's the seemingly innocuous little arguments that can snowball into one big disaster. Tolentino says: "Breakdown of marriages usually happens when 'minor' conflicts are not addressed. These 'minor' problems can build up negative emotions."

Don't assume your partner is a mind-reader
Many people don't know how to express their feelings, or worse, expect that their partner should know what they want. "It is important that openness and communication is encouraged in the relationship. Set aside time for just the two of you at least once a week. Give your spouse your full attention; listen without judgment. Remember that communication is two-way."

Show your appreciation daily
A marriage's silent enemy is being taken for granted. Don't wait till bitterness sets in before you try to "bring back that loving feeling." Everyday, pay your spouse a sincere compliment, show your gratitude, and express your affection. "Remember the things you value about your marriage and the good traits of your spouse. This will help reaffirm your commitment and strengthen you in facing the challenges that may come your way. Make an effort to make your spouse feel important, appreciated, and loved. Love has to be expressed."

Grow (old) together
Getting married doesn't mean giving up your individuality. When you're in a relationship that allows for personal growth, you each bring something to the relationship. Tolentino puts it this way: "One main element in a happy marriage are two happy individuals. Each one must give importance to the well-being of the other. Each one must be supported, respected, affirmed, appreciated and loved." However, don't forget to enjoy shared activities as well, so that you grow together.

The advice Tolentino dishes most often is this: "Remember that you are partners. Appreciate each one's contribution in strengthening the relationship, respect each other as equal, look out for the well-being of the other as you would for yourself." Bottomline: with love, affection, laughter, faith, limitless patience and mutual respect, your relationship can deepen after the honeymoon and you can look forward to living happily EVEN after.

630thinkstock_nocheatingcouple.jpg

Seven tips to keep your spouse from straying

By Pierra Calasanz-Labrador for Yahoo! Southeast Asia

When the movie No Other Woman came out, it struck a chord among millions of married Pinays—what would we do if an Anne Curtis clone walked into our husband's life?

Oh, the very thought strikes panic in our hearts and opens up a Pandora's Box of questions: Would we pack our bags and leave at the first sign of his indiscretion? Would we play the role of the long-suffering wife and look the other way? Or, would we fight fire with fire, with Cristine Reyes verve in all her negligee glory and mama Carmi Martin's one-liner winners ringing in our ears? ("Panahon na para i-pack up yang si Lucy Torres mo. Ilabas mo na diyan si Gretchen Barretto!")

Hang on—why even wait for things even get to that point? The best defense is a good offense, and the key is to know what makes our hubbies happy, so he won't even consider straying. Easier said than done, right? So here are some tips from domestic goddesses (and regular men) on how to keep your man in line:

Tip#1: Be attentive and affectionate.
After the passion fades, sometimes our interaction with hubby is reduced to a perfunctory good night kiss. Don't stop showing your love and affection! Shares Anna*, "I try to keep the romance alive. We go out on dinner and movie dates without the kids. We also still talk about our dreams and what we're going to do in our old age. It helps that we laugh a lot together!" You don't need to sweep each other off your feet—random cuddling, holding hands while watching a TV movie, sweet daily rituals, and the occasional 'stolen moment,' will help keep your love fresh.

Tip#2: Look your best.
Yes, he vowed to love you through thick and thin, waistline notwithstanding—but that doesn't mean you should let yourself go. "Once a girl is 'off the market,' she kind of relaxes her effort to be attractive. But don't turn into a total slob!" warns Kathy*. Caring for your health and body, keeping in shape, dolling yourself up nicely can be the greatest compliment you can pay him—and yourself. Bonus to looking your best: as you "wow him everyday," you're also loving what you see in the mirror. And when you feel good about yourself, there's a tendency to make your partner feel good, too.

Tip #3: Exude confidence.
Is your hubby such a Greek god or chick magnet that you're constantly on praning mode? Searching his pockets/wallet/going through his texts, bristling at the mention of any female colleagues, or stalking him without any provocation will only succeed in annoying him, and turning you into a suspicious, desperate, sorry mess. It can get really tiresome for a guy to deal with jealous rages or constantly reassure you of his love over and over again. Do listen to your woman's intuition—but before then, don't jump the gun. Treating him like you're sure he's going to cheat may actually tempt him to call your bluff!

Okay, so maybe you say you trust your guy, but you don't trust the women around him. Have a little faith in yourself. Yes, there will always be someone prettier, hotter or younger than you, but no one can ever be the YOU he fell in love with. Clinging desperately on to your man may give him illusions that he's too good for you—he should feel that he's lucky to have you, and not the other way around.

Tip #4: Don't nag, don't smother.
Unless you want your guy to revert back to his rebellious teenage self, act like his hot, loving wife—not his mom or prison guard. "When a guy feels 'sakal' or stifled in a relationship, his instinct is to escape," says Tony. "And if there just happens to be someone who comes along who is sexy, fun and has no baggage or drama… patay." So go ahead, let him have his fill of computer games or basketball time with the guys—and he'll be happy to come home to his cool wife.

Tip #5: Spice things up.
Says Migs*,
"Guys love the thrill of the chase." It only takes a little flirtation to spur their imagination. "A husband thinks that he already has you, so he might be curious to know how it would be with someone they technically can't have. It's the 'what if' factor," continues Migs.

So how do you keep him from acting on his animal instincts? Bring out the domestic goddess in you. Spice things up with spontaneous gestures, go on "second honeymoon" trips, or (trump card) try new tricks in the bedroom. Keep things from getting stale, so that he's constantly amazed by you. Maintain the mystery, no matter how comfortable you are with each other.

Tip # 6: Show an interest in his activities.
While it's important to nurture individual interests for your personal growth, find some shared activities as well so you can grow together. You don't have to be joined at the hip, but it really helps when you're supportive of his passions. Do you respond with a bored "uhm-hmmm" every time he tries to engage you in conversation about his activities? Would you rather he bond with someone else? When he spends a lot of time somewhere else (especially if it requires overnight stays and out-of-town events), there's always the temptation of falling for a colleague or teammate who "gets him." So don't belittle his hobbies.

Tip #7: Keep it special.
It's easy to take things for granted after years and years of marriage, kids, and morning breath. Someone's bound to feel overworked and under-appreciated, and the danger comes when an outside force starts showing some of that attention that's sorely lacking at home.

Complacency is the devil—so make things special every day. It can be as simple as saying thank you after every meal/errand/chore, thoughtfully surprising each other with a favorite snack, or treating him to a relaxing massage after a long day. Says Andrea, "I treat him with respect; I try not to brat out and pick fights. I tell him I appreciate that he takes care of us. And on his end, I suppose he realizes that he has a partner for life, that I'm there for him no matter what. It's not a fleeting romance—it's a real relationship."

Back
Top Bottom