Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Update 1 for Windows Phone 8.1 is now AVAILABLE + How to get CORTANA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geobot

Symbianize Angel
Advanced Member
Reaction score
08-04-14
UPDATE lang:
UPDATE 1 for Windows Phone 8.1 is NOW currently rolling out now!!!
So don't forget to check your phone for Updates!!!

What's NEW:

Windows Phone 8.1 Update brings Cortana to new markets + new features

July 30, 2014 by Joe Belfiore // Phone

wp_ss_20140712_00011.png

Back in April, you heard me talk about how we believe Windows Phone 8.1 is the world’s most personal smartphone because of features like highly personal Live Tiles on your Start screen and the world’s first truly personal digital assistant. Today I am in China to talk about how we’re continuing this vision in the very first update to Windows Phone 8.1, which we’re making available in preview form for developers next week. This update has some great new features for everyone around the world, and in particular we also included some that were completely customized for and by people in China. I’m going to tell you about a couple of the new features in this update.

Cortana:

We have been thrilled by the excitement around Cortana in Windows Phone 8.1. And we’re excited to make her available for people in China and the UK with this update as a “beta” and in Canada, India, and Australia as an “alpha”.

The huge Chinese market has a bunch of different expectations and needs than the US or other countries—so while Cortana (nicknamed “Xiao Na”) generally works the same way in China as the US and the rest of the world, China did get some “special features”. As you’d expect, in her notebook, she displays what she is tracking for you, so you can see and control it. You can set reminders and quiet hours with her. She understands the whole internet so she readily helps you find anything you need. But our team in Microsoft China developed a number of additional features specifically for China. She has an alternative form which has a different visual appearance, animations, and sounds. She supports Chinese (Mandarin) in voice, text, and speech. She also has specialized suggestions tuned specifically for people living in China, like air quality information in weather cards, information about driving restrictions, and the ability to track local TV shows and celebrities. She can look up English words in the Bing Dictionary for people looking to brush up on their English.
Of course fitting a local-market isn’t specific to China! For the UK, Cortana has been tailored to support UK spellings and pronunciations and Bing-provided local data on sports teams (for the EPL), the London Stock Exchange, commuter conditions, and more. The voice and accent is, of course, local, and Cortana’s personality in the UK has also been tweaked to be more locally relevant.
We’re also bringing some improvements for Cortana in the U.S., including new natural language scenarios, snooze times for reminders, and a number of neat additions to her personality (try asking “do an impersonation” and see what happens). We’ve also added the ability to invoke Cortana hands-free in your car for phones connected to car Bluetooth kits that are integrated with your contacts list. If your car kit is integrated with your contacts, you can now treat Cortana as a contact to invoke her, simply saying “Call Cortana” and then talking to her as you normally would.
We know there has been a lot of enthusiasm about Cortana in many other markets, and we wanted to give more people the ability to start using Cortana. Therefore, we’re also starting a new “alpha” program in three countries: Canada, India, and Australia. This early adopter program will be opt-in and give people the ability to try Cortana using English language models from the US and the UK.

Live Folders:

You asked for it! You can now organize your apps into folders on your Start screen! We call this Live Folders because the live tiles of apps appear in the tile of the folders—you won’t miss tile updates because you group apps in a folder! To create a Live Folder, just drag a tile over another tile and then name the folder. Open the folder to change the folder name and arrange and size the tiles however you want.

Xbox Music: Faster and with more features

The Xbox Music app has been updated to deliver much better performance in areas like app load and list scrolling. It’s also brought back features that were missing in the Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers. From background sync of your collection, to swipe to advance, the product has been continually adding features in every two weeks for the past few months. And in the coming month, there will be a “quickplay” of recent playback activities, and support for Kids Corner. Some of these features/improvements are already there in the latest Xbox Music app with the Windows Phone 8.1 release, but some (Live Tile in particular) are specific to the Windows Phone 8.1 Update. More to come!

Store Live Tile:

We made it easier for you to see the latest info about the latest apps and games available in the Windows Phone Store through its Live Tile. If you have the Store pinned to your Start screen on your device, you’ll get updates on the newest titles – refreshed every 6 hours – streamed dynamically to you throughout your day.

SMS merge & forwarding:

We have added the ability to select multiple SMS messages for deletion and forwarding, making it easier to manage your text messages.

Apps Corner:

With Apps Corner, you can specify which apps are displayed in a special “sandboxed” mode (like a protected Start screen) that restricts which apps are used. This feature is for businesses so they can allow access to select apps in cases where a full MDM solution isn’t required. Apps Corner can also be used to boot straight to an app. An example of where this scenario would come in handy might be with employees at a distribution center using Windows Phone devices that go straight into an inventory app they use to scan products in the warehouse when they turn on their phone. Apps Corner can also be used to setup retail demos. Retailers can export the profile of Apps Corner on one device and import it on to other devices. And developers can get data on usage from inside Apps Corner too.

Enhanced privacy and security:

We’ve made some improvements in the Windows Phone 8.1 Update to keep your data and identity more protected on public networks. For example, we have added the ability for you to send and receive data through a virtual private network (VPN) when connecting to Wi-Fi hotspots giving you another layer of protection. If you’re on your home wireless, creating a VPN provides anonymity to help shield your device from being identified by other devices on the network.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions:

Here is how you can snag Windows Phone 8.1 right now:

• Step 1 - You must register yourself as an app developer. Simply head over to the http://appstudio.windowsphone.com/ website, and sign-in with your Microsoft Account credentials.
  • Step 2 - Head over to the Windows Phone Store and download the "Preview for Developers" app. Install and open the app, and log in using your Microsoft Account credentials. Once you are logged in, simply "Enable Preview for Developers."
  • Step 3. - Go to Settings > Phone updates, and click on "Check for updates." You will be prompted to download the update, once it is available in your region. It is already rolling out in the US.
Source

Windows Phone 8.1 Features: http://www.symbianize.com/showthread.php?t=1130289

This is how you get Cortana on Windows Phone 8.1 outside the United States
Step 1. Make sure you have changed the region to United States and your default language to English (United States).

Step 2. Go to language settings, select United States. Change the Regional format to “match phone language”.

Step 3. Go to keyboard settings, (add and) move up the English (United States) option. By now, you should have initiated some downloads. If Cortana still isn’t there, try rebooting the phone.

Step 4. If Cortana is still not visible in the Menu, go to settings -> Speech, and double check if the preferred language is English (United States).

Step 5. If for some reason you are still out of luck, sign into your Microsoft account, go to the personal information, and change any region-based information to United States.
You will now have Cortana. enjoy!

Cortana-how-to-get.jpg

Files, an official File Manager for Windows Phone 8.1 is now Available!

41f5f923-c423-4afe-a33b-ffbfa2347ecf

Download: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/files/762e837f-461d-4847-8399-3526f54fc25e

Last edited:
Re: Windows Phone 8.1 is now available for Download!

thanks updating:)

thanks updating:)

:welcome:

Sa mga hindi makapaghintay ng Official Release, update na kayo.... :thumbsup:

The following bugs and defects were posted by other users

1.volume bar missing and the all music app i have(Audiotica, official music app, radio player, not working
2.on an ativ s with wp 8.1 when opening camera and switching from photo to video multiple times
will break it and i have to restart the phone to get it working again :( reset camera won't fix it
3.I cant see the full name of the song if the name is too long in xbox music
4.It's only me, or on my L920 colours are more "washed out" now?
My Cobalt theme is a lot less "deep bluish", and more "purpleish" and light...
5.1 1/2 hours + to complete installation
6. Hard reset dosen't solve Wifi issues with broken updates so please beware and don't end up
like me who ended up downloading the update on their main handset
7.The Games live tile doesn't seem to animate anymore. Opening the tile shows
everything is there as expected, just the tile isn't animated.
8.Notification Center
where is the icon for data connection ?
more about data settings - why did they remove connection speed (2g, 3g, lte) I have 928 on tmobile and to send sms i need to switch to 2g. Known issue
9.App list
Dont like games being showed there
10.Can no longer get to facebook's desktop site in IE.
11.No matter what I do it redirects me to the mobile page.
12.Store is not loading on my device.
13.Cortana not working, I can't connect to any bing services, I ALWAYS get sent to mobile sites.
14.No inPrivate mode on IE!? Also the fb app is not working
15.My apps in store is showing apps i had installed but long time ago..
16. There's no double tap to sleep
17. WiFi lost signal intermittently
18. WiFi icon on action centre direct me to WiFi setting instead of on/off WiFi
19.6tag sometimes autoclose. Some of my games does it to. Tried restarting. Still the same.
I cant even post pictures using the fb app. Same goes with 6tag(from PH user)
20.battery drains faster
21.I turn in 30sec it goes into flight mode on and off, and this turn on.
22.brick is a possibility.

Solutions :
Soft Reset: By pressing down the Volume Down + Power buttons for 10-15 seconds (or until the device vibrates) you can perform a soft reset on your device. This is a little bit like a factory reset for your phone's OS only you get to keep all of your personal data. Think of it like restarting your PC. This is the first thing you should try if your device is behaving oddly.

Hard Reset: By going to settings>about>reset your phone you can completely wipe your phone of your personal data (ideal if you're going to send in your phone for repair or sell it). Your phone will turn off and you'll see spinning gears for a while (up to an hour or so) and when it's done you will see the same screens you saw when you first turned on your phone out of the box. You'll have to sign in with your Microsoft account again and start over.

How to make your Lumia's batter last longer: =)

How to reset your device's camera: Go to settings>applications>photos+camera>reset.
So, be careful updating your phone

Re: Windows Phone 8.1 is now available for Download + CORTAN

Any Updates sa mga gumagamit na ng WP 8.1 jan?

ayos lang naman boss. explore pa ako ngayon... parang yung battery mabilis.. observe ko muna nag dodownload pa ksi ako ng mga apps.

Nadownload Ko na Yung windows phone 8.1 update. Ineexplor Ko palanh Yung mga changes.

Is the update ok?

Waiting sa mga feedback nyo guys, ayoko kasi mag reset kasi bka mawala yung mga SAVED GAMES ko pag gus2 q bumalik sa dati para hintayin ang official update sa region natin.ahaha. :p

working perfectly in my L520.. all application working, and new feature application is perfectly working. no bugs at all..
store is good. :)

Ako din updated na and I love it : ]

So far 2 na ang may magandang Feedback, naka experience ba kayo ng Soft o Hard Reset sa update ninyo?

so far so good.. wala pa akong nakikitang bugs dito sa phone ko. im using L925.. and the battery is much better now! :D :thumbsup:

ask ko lng sa mga nkapag update na ...ng change language,region na ba kayo at nkapag download na ba kayo sa store using philippines as country/langauge at region

ask ko lng sa mga nkapag update na ...ng change language,region na ba kayo at nkapag download na ba kayo sa store using philippines as country/langauge at region

di ko pa natry pero sa tingin ko mawawala si cortana pag ginawa un

So far 2 na ang may magandang Feedback, naka experience ba kayo ng Soft o Hard Reset sa update ninyo?

pag ka update ko nag hard reset ako para clean ulit ang lumia ko.

pag ang region mo ay philippines, always nag error minsan gumagana sya,. pero mas kalimitan ang error.

di ko pa natry pero sa tingin ko mawawala si cortana pag ginawa un
ahh gnun ba ...wait ntin baka mging tagalog version si cortana

pag ka update ko nag hard reset ako para clean ulit ang lumia ko.
ahh ..nwawala din ba ung temp files agad pg ng hard reset

pag ang region mo ay philippines, always nag error minsan gumagana sya,. pero mas kalimitan ang error.
testing ko nga to ..kaso pg ng update na ,,,dapat US region na lahat

successfully updated my L-1520 to wp8.1

NO BUGS so far... :thumbsup:

who is the best now?

CORTANA vs SIRI vs GOOGLE NOW vs JARVIS :rofl:

Last edited:

nung nakaset sa Philipines yung country region ng phone ko, di ako makadownload sa Store palaging nag error, tapos nung binago ko siya sa US para magamit si Cortana, di na siya nag eeror, nakakadownload na ako.

pede naba kaya ma-install yung mga PC games .exe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom