Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

God's Message For You Today

September
Tuesday

BRICK BY BRICK

Let the governor and the elders of the Jews continue to work on the house of God; they are to rebuild it on its former site – Ezra 6:7

The company I work for went through a rough patch a couple of years back. We had major problems with leadership. Many employees were grumbling and restless. People were clashing over personal values and beliefs. Morale was low. The company was breathing air full of resentment and mistrust. It was a difficult time for everyone, myself included. I wanted to throw in the towel so many times, but something always held me back. It was like the Lord was saying, “Stay. Hang on. You are where you are supposed to be.”

What can I say except that God was right.

I’m happy I stayed because things are so much better now. Our organization is in the process of recovery.

I believe that we are working not only for a business turn-around, but a psychological and spiritual turn-around as well. As we improve systems and operations, we must also work on valuing people and healing relationships.

Renewing the organization also means leaving behind a lot of negative attitudes and bad habits. We may still be the same company with the same name, but as we rebuild it one fortified brick after the other, we know that a stronger and better organization will rise. Cotics C.

REFLECTION:

What needs rebuilding and renewing in your life?

Father, help me build my life around You. Make my heart Your home.

-------------------

FAMILY TIES

Family ties are very important in all cultures. Even in animals, family ties are observed to be significant.

There are normally two ways by which family ties are established.

The first way is by blood. Consanguinity means being related by blood. The second is by legal action, as in the case of marriage or adoption. Affinity is the usual term used to mean this second way of being related. We also speak about an “extended family.” To this intimate circle belong those who are not related to us by blood or some legal action but by deep friendship. As we go through life, there are persons with whom we have shared many profound moments and memorable experiences. These persons eventually become “family” to us.

Jesus presents to us a fourth way. He anchors our relationship on a more solid and lasting bond. We are related to Him when we do the will of God. Jesus is the Son of God and anyone related to Him is related to God in a very intimate way. We believe that the sacrament of baptism makes us children of God. Moreover, those who become children of God, in and through Jesus His Son, are therefore brothers and sisters to one another.

To do the will of God is to be holy. Let us do God’s will; let us be holy. We belong to a family bigger and better than blood, law, and friendship can establish. We are called to be saints. Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: How important is my ties with God and His other children?

Father, You have made us Your children in and through Jesus Christ, Your Son. As your children, may we be the source of Your pride and joy. Keep us always united as Your family here on earth and in heaven. Amen.

St. Sergius, pray for us.

------------

1st READING

Ezra 6:7-8.12.14-20

Now it is the turn of King Darius the Mede to assist the Jews in the return to their homeland. The Temple of God is eventually rebuilt and this feat is celebrated with many sacrifices and much fanfare. This now means that the ritual life of the Jewish nation can be resumed according to the law of Moses; this is truly a day of the Lord to celebrate. We also begin to realize from these texts how important the Promised Land is to the Jews – something that should give us some insight into the struggle of the Jews today to protect their fledgling state.

7 Let the governor and the elders of the Jews continue to work on that house of God; they are to rebuild it on its former site. 8 I also issue this decree concerning your dealing with these elders of the Jews in the rebuilding of that house of God from the royal revenue, the taxes of West-of-euphrates, let these men be repaid for their expenses, in full and without delay. 12 I, Darius, have issued this decree; let it be carefully executed. 14 The elders of the Jews continued to make progress in the building, supported by the message of the prophets, Haggai and Zechariah, son of Iddo. They finished the building according to the command of the God of Israel and the decrees of Cyrus and Darius [and of Artaxerxes, king of Persia]. 15 They completed this house on the third day of the month Adar, in the sixth year of the reign of King Darius. 16 The Israelites — priests, Levites, and the other returned exiles—celebrated the dedication of this house of God with joy. 17 For the dedication of this house of God, they offered one hundred bulls, two hundred rams, and four hundred lambs, together with twelve he-goats as a sin-offering for all Israel, in keeping with the number of the tribes of Israel. 18 Finally, they set up the priests in their classes and the Levites in their divisions for the service of God in Jerusalem, as is prescribed in the book of Moses. 19 The exiles kept the Passover on the fourteenth day of the first month. 20 The Levites, every one of whom had purified himself for the occasion, sacrificed the Passover for the rest of the exiles, for their brethren the priests, and for themselves.

P S A L M

Psalm 122:1-2, 3-4, 4-5

R: Let us go rejoicing to the house of the Lord.

1 I rejoiced because they said to me,“We will go up to the house of the LORD.” 2 And now we have set foot within your gates, O Jerusalem. (R) 3 Jerusalem, built as a city with compact unity. 4 To it the tribes go up, the tribes of the LORD. (R) According to the decree for Israel, to give thanks to the name of the LORD. 5 In it are set up judgment seats, seats for the house of David. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 8:19-21

Jesus is not being rude or discourteous to His kinfolk. He is merely taking the opportunity to use the situation to teach us all that the most important kin-relationship we have is to God and it is built on our obedience to His will. This is far more important than our bloodlines will ever be. Yes, it can be interesting to search for one’s family tree origins, but it is far more important to search out God’s will and follow it.

19 Then his mother and his brothers came to him but were unable to join him because of the crowd. 20 He was told, “Your mother and your brothers are standing outside and they wish to see you.” 21 He said to them in reply, “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and act on it.”

my reflections

think: The most important kin-relationship we have is to God and it is built on our obedience to His will.

God’s special verse/thought for me today________________

T O D A Y ’ S BLESSING LIST

Thank You Lord for: ____________________________________

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Zephaniah 1-3

September
Wednesday

CONFESSION

“For our sins are piled higher than our heads, and our guilt has reached to the heavens.” – Ezra 9:6

My son, Miro, has always been fascinated with the magnifying glass of my Swiss knife. Every chance he gets, he takes it from the glove compartment of our van, whips it out and goes on looking at all sorts of stuff through the lens. But what excites him the most is when he concentrates the sun’s rays (supervised, if I may add) on objects to see them gleam, and then slowly let out fumes before burning up altogether. Tree barks, dead leaves, dry grass – all these shrivel up and smolder when exposed to the sun’s powerful rays.

Ezra did a similar thing in our reading today. He confessed before the Lord the sins of His people. His confession on the people’s behalf shone light on the dark areas that the Israelites would otherwise want hidden. He realized that until they confess their sin, they will never achieve the victory that God intended for them.

We hold on to some areas of our life that prevent us from experiencing everything that God has in store for us. What areas do we need to confess and turn over to God’s control? Roy M.

REFLECTION:

What areas do we need to confess and turn over to God’s control?

Teach me to hold on only to those things that we need to and turn over those that only You have control over.

--------------

CRAZY ABOUT HIM?

The advice Jesus gives His apostles today sounds rather very impractical. No one goes on a mission without any provision. To do so today is imprudence, if not foolishness.

Are we ready to be imprudent for Jesus? Are we ready to be foolish for Jesus? Are we ready to be crazy about Him?

It demands so much to be a friend of Jesus. One oftentimes runs the risk of being imprudent and foolish in the eyes of the world. The Lord has few friends, and, St. Teresa of Avila explained, because He allows His friends to suffer.

Many want to be friends of Jesus, but few want to suffer for His sake. Many consider friendship with Him only as a privilege to enjoy, but not a mission to fulfill. Many think of sainthood in terms of prestige, but not in terms of suffering. Many look at the martyr’s crown, but not at the martyr’s cross.

If we are true friends of Jesus, our lives must show it. Are we ready to suffer for it? Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: Am I crazy about Jesus?

Lord Jesus, it is not easy to be Your friend, You know that. Please help me be Your friend always. Amen.

St. Vigilius, bishop, pray for us.

----------------

1st READING

Ezra 9:5-9

The concept of a faithful remnant here in the Book of Ezra occurs elsewhere in the prophets and is also important in Paul’s understanding of the Jewish role in the history of salvation. He will eventually conclude that a remnant of faithful Israelites, the ones who have faith in Christ are the ones through whom salvation is ultimately conveyed to the whole world (See Romans 9-11). This idea is also found in the story of Noah and his family who alone survive the primordial flood. It seems to teach us that God will work through the lives of those who are faithful to Him no matter how small that number of people may be. The size of the remnant is not important; the faithfulness of those of whom it consists is all-important.

5 At the time of the evening sacrifice, I rose in my wretchedness, and with cloak and mantle torn I fell on my knees, stretching out my hands to the LORD my God. 6 I said “My God, I am too ashamed and confounded to raise my face to you, O my God, for our wicked deeds are heaped up above our heads and our guilt reaches up to heaven. 7 From the time of our fathers even to this day great has been our guilt, and for our wicked deeds we have been delivered over, we and our kings and our priests, to the will of the kings of foreign lands, to the sword, to captivity, to pillage, and to disgrace, as is the case today. 8 “And now, but a short time ago, mercy came to us from the LORD our God, who left us a remnant and gave us a stake in his holy place; thus our God has brightened our eyes and given us relief in our servitude. 9 For slaves we are, but in our servitude our God has not abandoned us; rather, he has turned the good will of the kings of Persia toward us. Thus he has given us new life to raise again the house of our God and restore its ruins, and has granted us a fence in Judah and Jerusalem.”

P S A L M

Tobit 13:2, 3-4, 6, 6, 7-8

R: Blessed be God, who lives for ever.

2 He scourges and then has mercy; He casts down to the depths of the nether world, and He brings up from the great abyss. No one can escape His hand. (R) 3 Praise Him , you Israelites, before the Gentiles, for though He has scattered you among them, 4 He has shown you His greatness even there. (R) 6 So now consider what He has done for you, and praise Him with full voice. Bless the Lord of righteousness, and exalt the King of the ages. (R) In the land of my exile I praise Him, and show His power and majesty to a sinful nation. “Turn back, you sinners! do the right before Him: perhaps He may look with favor upon you and show you mercy. 7 Bless the Lord, all you his chosen ones, and may all of you praise his majesty. 8 Celebrate days of gladness, and give him praise. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 9:1-6

Every gift and power that we exercise as the sons and daughters of God is a gift from God. It is not something that we have earned; God freely bestows it on us out of His love for us and His desire for the Good News to be spread to the ends of the world. This means that every good thing that we have in life stems directly from the blessing of God. Thus, we always have much for which to give thanks to God. May we never forget to thank and praise Him for this.

1 He summoned the Twelve and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, 2 and he sent them to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal [the sick]. 3 He said to them, “Take nothing for the journey, neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money, and let no one take a second tunic. 4 Whatever house you enter, stay there and leave from there. 5 And as for those who do not welcome you, when you leave that town, shake the dust from your feet in testimony against them.” 6 Then they set out and went from village to village proclaiming the good news and curing diseases everywhere.

my reflections

think: We always have much for which to give thanks to God.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Haggai 1-2

September
Thursday

EVEN IN THE SHADOW

“..And he kept trying to see him.” – Luke 9:9

We all have dark periods in our lives, no matter how “spiritually mature” we consider ourselves to be now. You know, those times when God did not seem to exist in our lives, those times that we allowed ourselves to wallow in sin.

I don’t know if you will agree with me on this. Even in the darkest period of our lives, when we thought we are the worst of all sinners and deserve hell even while still on earth, there remains a part of us that seeks God. There’s always a hole inside of us that longs to be filled by God — or what He represents: peace, joy, love, serenity, contentment.

I have gone through the same route.

Through God’s graciousness and mercy, I am now in His light, where love and peace abound. Tess VA.

REFLECTION:

Are you still living in the shadow of sin?

Lord, give me a way out of this pit that I am in. Take me by the hand and lead me to Your light.

-----------------

Memorial of St. Vincent de Paul, Priest

THE HEART OF JESUS TODAY

We remember today the blessed memory of St. Vincent de Paul. The Gospel on which this reflection is based is taken from the Mass of St. Vincent de Paul. St. Vincent de Paul was born in Gascony, France in 1581. He began his adult life as an opportunist. He entered the seminary, and when he completed his priestly studies, his first parish assignment was in Paris. As a newly ordained priest, however, Vincent was captured by Turkish pirates and was sold to an alchemist who traded him to a plantation owner who was a former priest with three wives. Vincent converted the ex-priest and went with him to Avignon, Rome and back to Paris where they gained some friends. As he spent a year caring for the poor in Chatillons, Vincent was changed. He gathered volunteers to provide food and clothing for the poor he was serving. Many also came to actually serve the poor with him. He spent the next forty years of his life serving the poor. He founded the Congregation of the Mission (commonly known today as the “Vincentians”) to form priests and to support the poor. Later on, with the help of St. Louise de Marillac, he founded the Congregation of the Daughters of Charity. After serving the poor for more than forty years of his life, Vincent de Paul passed away in Paris in 1660.

Holiness is the perfection of charity. The more loving we are, the holier we are. Holiness is not developed simply by spending the whole day before the Blessed Sacrament inside a church. Holiness is loving Jesus in the tabernacle of the hearts of the people inside and outside the church, most especially the poor. Holiness is charity-in-action, a contemplation of the face of God in the distressing disguise of the poor. St. Vincent was the Bl. Teresa of Calcutta in his time while Bl. Teresa of Calcutta was St. Vincent in her time. Yet both Vincent and Teresa were another Jesus to the poor of their times.

Jesus, was often found absorbed in prayer. But He was also always found touring all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the Good News of the Kingdom and curing all kinds of diseases and sickness. His heart belonged to God. He needed more men and women who would labor with Him for God’s Kingdom. This need persisted in the age of St. Vincent de Paul and Bl. Teresa of Calcutta. It remains a need in our age as well. Will we stand idle, praying for holiness inside a church only? Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: How can I be the heart of Jesus today?

May our holiness, O Lord, be manifested in our love for others. Perfect Your love in us and may our love for You be perfected in our deeds. Jesus, we love You; increase our love for You. Amen.

St. Deodatus, pray for us.

--------------

1st READING

Haggai 1:1-8

Haggai chastises the people for their lack of zeal in rebuilding the House of the Lord. This indicates a certain self-centeredness that is abhorrent to God. It is not that God does not want them to live in good housing themselves, but that their neglect of their religious life and obligations indicates that their love for Him is waning. This is never a good thing. Often there is nothing better than a communal project to re-ignite the spirit of a people after such a long trial as exile must have been.

1 On the first day of the sixth month in the second year of King Darius, the word of the LORD came through the prophet Haggai to the governor of Judah, Zerubbabel, son of Shealtiel, and to the high priest Joshua, son of Jehozadak: 2 Thus says the LORD of hosts: This people says: “Not now has the time come to rebuild the house of the LORD.” 3 (Then this word of the LORD came through Haggai, the prophet:) 4 Is it time for you to dwell in your own paneled houses, while this house lies in ruins? 5 Now thus says the LORD of hosts: Consider your ways! 6 You have sown much, but have brought in little; you have eaten, but have not been satisfied; you have drunk, but have not been exhilarated; have clothed yourselves, but not been warmed; and he who earned wages earned them for a bag with holes in it. 7 Thus says the LORD of hosts: Consider your ways! 8 Go up into the hill country; bring timber, and build the house that I may take pleasure in it and receive my glory, says the LORD.

P S A L M

Psalm 149:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 9

R: The Lord takes delight in his people.

1 Sing to the LORD a new song of praise in the assembly of the faithful. 2 Let Israel be glad in their maker, let the children of Zion rejoice in their king. (R) 3 Let them praise his name in the festive dance, let them sing praise to him with timbrel and harp. 4 For the LORD loves his people, and he adorns the lowly with victory. (R) 5 Let the faithful exult in glory; let them sing for joy upon their couches; 6 let the high praises of God be in their throats. 9 This is the glory of all his faithful. Alleluia. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 9:7-9

We know that Herod is a weak and cowardly man and that he is thus threatened by the smallest of things. If the popularity of John the Baptist was a source of fear to him, then how much more will the ministry and popularity of Jesus! Yet, he has nothing to fear from Jesus. His fears are all in his own mind and are probably the result of a bad conscience! When irrational fears abound, often a good place to look for the source is if there is sin in our lives.

7 Herod the tetrarch heard about all that was happening, and he was greatly perplexed because some were saying,“John has been raised from the dead”; 8 others were saying, “Elijah has appeared”; still others, “One of the ancient prophets has arisen.” 9 But Herod said, “John I beheaded. Who then is this about whom I hear such things?” And he kept trying to see him.

my reflections

think: When irrational fears abound, often a good place to look for the source is if there is sin in our lives.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Zechariah 1-5

September
Friday

Memorial of Sts. Lorenzo Ruiz and Companions, Martyrs

A THOUSAND LIVES

“The Son of Man must suffer many things.” – Luke 9:22

The patron saint of my elementary and high school is the first Filipino saint, Lorenzo Ruiz. For 10 years, I had to hear his life story — where he was born, how he got to Japan and how he was killed – over and over. To be totally honest, I was really kind of sick of it. Plus, the film about him that we used to watch in GMRC/Values Education class was kind of morbid.

When I entered college, I stopped hearing Lorenzo’s life story because I changed schools. But I started to really get to know someone else more, the person who I am pretty sure St. Lorenzo followed after. Luke said, “The Son of Man must suffer many things.” And I think St. Lorenzo knew that Jesus himself suffered many things because He loves us. In return, the saint was willing to give a thousand lives for Jesus because he knew to what extent his Savior suffered for him. Tina M.

REFLECTION:

Are you ready to suffer for the Lord?

If I must suffer, I need Your grace, because alone I cannot endure.Embrace me, Lord.

---------

A THOUSAND DEATHS

Let us take to heart three lessons from the life of St. Lorenzo Ruiz.

First, we, Filipinos, are not only “worth dying for.” We are also capable of dying for a godly cause and for God Himself. We are not always found at the receiving end. Many of us are not only willing but are also actually giving. Many are dying a thousand deaths each day for their families, for their country, and, most importantly, for God. Yes, graft and corruption, regionalism, mediocrity, and a host of other social menaces continue to be our curse, but voluntarism, generosity, and godliness are also just a few of our intrinsic goodness. Heroism is innate in us. Let us focus on our positive values that make the heroes and heroines in us shine brightly. Let us use every opportunity to bring out the heroic qualities in each of us. Let us be heroes, not celebrities.

Second, having a lay person – with a wife and three children – as the first Filipino canonized saint puts across the clear message that holiness is not the exclusive domain of priests and religious. We are all called to holiness. Filipinos – whether priests or laypersons – can be saints. Canonized by the Church or simply known to God alone, we are a saintly people. Let us be saints together.

Third, heroes and saints are not produced overnight. Lorenzo Ruiz was steadfast in his faith because throughout his life he was attached to the Church, to God and to the Blessed Mother. He was able to give his life for the Church because he was always at the service of the Church. As a young boy, he was a sacristan. As a young man, he was an “escribano,” a parish secretary. And though he went with the missionaries not primarily to do mission, he answered the need of the situation when he was actually with them. He assisted the missionaries when they were in Japan to spread the Gospel of Christ. In the same way, we become heroes and saints only if we keep our selves attached to what is heroic and saintly. Service to others through the Church is heroic. Love of Jesus and His Blessed Mother is saintly.

In this regard, the home and the school are two important training grounds of heroes and saints. Let our homes be homes of saints. Let our schools be schools of heroes. To die for the Faith is a gift to some, but to live for it is a call for all. That gift may never become ours. But that call is always certainly ours. Have you died for God today?

One thousand and one and still counting.... Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: Have I died for God today?

My life is in Your hands, O God. When called upon to lay it down for You, please give me the courage and generosity to respond with all my heart. Help me die to my self each day for You.I have only one life and it is all Yours. Amen.

--------------

1st READING

Haggai 1:15-2:9

God’s promise is that He will again abide with His People once the Temple is completed. It is not that He has abandoned them when the Temple is in ruins; but this is their experience when their ability to celebrate the rituals that carry the meaning of His presence is not possible due to the fact that the Temple has been destroyed. If an enemy strikes at the heart of a nation and its culture, much of the nationalism can be blunted. Which is why the Temple was destroyed in the first place.

15 In the second year of King Darius, 2: 1 on the twenty-first day of the seventh month, the word of the LORD came through the prophet Haggai: 2 Tell this to the governor of Judah, Zerubbabel, son of Shealtiel, and to the high priest Joshua, son of Jehozadak, and to the remnant of the people: 3 Who is left among you that saw this house in its former glory? And how do you see it now? Does it not seem like nothing in your eyes? 4 But now take courage, Zerubbabel, says the LORD, and take courage, Joshua, high priest, son of Jehozadak, and take courage, all you people of the land, says the LORD, and work! For I am with you, says the LORD of hosts. 5 This is the pact that I made with you when you came out of Egypt, and my spirit continues in your midst; do not fear! 6 For thus says the LORD of hosts: One moment yet, a little while, and I will shake the heavens and the earth, the sea and the dry land. 7 I will shake all the nations, and the treasures of all the nations will come in, and I will fill this house with glory, says the LORD of hosts. 8 Mine is the silver and mine the gold, says the LORD of hosts. 9 Greater will be the future glory of this house than the former, says the LORD of hosts; and in this place I will give you peace, says the LORD of hosts.

P S A L M

Psalm 43:1, 2, 3, 4

R: Hope in God; I will praise him, my savior and my God.

1 Do me justice, O God, and fight my fight against a faithless people; from the deceitful and impious man rescue me. (R) 2 For you, O God, are my strength. Why do you keep me so far away? Why must I go about in mourning, with the enemy oppressing me? (R) 3 Send forth your light and your fidelity; they shall lead me on and bring me to your holy mountain, to your dwelling-place. (R) 4 Then will I go in to the altar of God, the God of my gladness and joy; then will I give you thanks upon the harp, O God, my God! (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 9:18-22

Peter speaks up for the Apostles and gives us an insight into the identity of Jesus. Perhaps this title and the way that Peter understood it does not capture the full identity of Jesus as both fully human and fully divine. But it is certainly a good start. Peter’s profession clearly indicates that they believe Jesus is the Messiah but gives us no hint as to how well they understood the ramifications of this identity. It is quite clear that they have little understanding, if any, that the Messiah must suffer and die for the liberation of the People of God from their sins.

18 Once when Jesus was praying in solitude, and the disciples were with him, he asked them, “Who do the crowds say that I am?” 19 They said in reply, “John the Baptist; others, Elijah; still others, ‘One of the ancient prophets has arisen.’ 20 Then he said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter said in reply, “The Messiah of God.” 21 He rebuked them and directed them not to tell this to anyone. 22 He said, “The Son of Man must suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed and on the third day be raised.”

my reflections

think: God’s promise is that He will again abide with His People once the Temple is completed.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Zechariah 6-10

September
Saturday

Feast of the Sts. Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, Archangels

HEAD ON COLLISION

You will see… angels. – John 1:51

A few days before this writing, our parish priest (Fr. Andy) and his associate priest (Fr. Agus) were in a head-on collision. According to one of the choir members, a truck was trying to overtake from the opposite side and in the process rammed straight into our parish priest’s car.

When Fr. Andy came to, his first thought was that he would die. He took one look at Fr. Agus, saw blood all over his face and began administering last rites. What he didn’t know was that Fr. Agus had done the exact same thing a few minutes before. Only then did they both realize that neither one of them was badly hurt!

As fast as they could, they crawled out of the wreck. They patted themselves to check for broken bones and found none! Apart from some scratches on their faces, they were unhurt!

You wouldn’t believe it from the look of the car, though. It was totalled.

I can’t help but see angels watching. Victoria L.

REFLECTION:

Have you thanked your angel today?

I know, Lord, that Your angels abound. Thank You for the protection.

-----------------

ANGELS OR SAINTS – WHICH IS BETTER?

Though their names are introduced with the title “Saints,” Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael are not human beings. Only human beings can become saints. They are archangels, meaning they are angels each entrusted by God with a special mission. Angels are generally “messengers.” The word “angelos” is the Greek word for “messenger.”

Michael, whose name means “Who is like God?,” leads the host of angels who chose to serve God. His opponent is Lucifer. We can read the battle between Michael and his angels versus Lucifer and his devils in the Book of Revelation. Michael’s name reminds us that God is one and like no other.

Gabriel’s name means “Strength of God.” We remember his two visits in the New Testament: one to Zechariah and the other to Mary. True to his name, his first visit opened the dry womb of the barren woman, Elizabeth, who gave birth to John the Baptist in her old age. His second visit revealed the strength of God in making a virgin conceive His Only Begotten Son. We also recall that the strength of God made Zachariah unable to speak because of his unbelief.

Raphael, meaning “God’s medicine,” is the archangel who assisted Tobias in his journey. He likewise healed Tobit, Tobias’ blind father, and gave Tobias a wife whose name was Sarah.

Tradition has it that there are other archangels, but only these three are mentioned in the Bible in relation to the special task given to them by God or their special roles in the history of salvation.

Once during a retreat I attended, our spiritual director mentioned that there are three sins of the fallen angels. The first is their rejection to serve God. The second is their refusal to worship the Second Person of the Trinity, Jesus Christ, in His incarnated form. The third is their envy of us, human beings, who are loved by God so much so that He gave us even His Son. We are not angels and archangels. But we are loved by God more than we know. He gave us His only Son who became one like us, NOT LIKE THE ANGELS, in all things but sin so that in becoming like us we may become like Him. What a priceless gift! We are destined to become like Jesus. We are not angels. We are saints. Which do you think is better? Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: Jesus chose to become a human being, not an angel.

Thank You, Jesus, for choosing to become one like me in all things, but sin. By Your grace, help me to become like You. I look forward to see You, to live with You, and worship You forever, together with all the angels and the saints. Amen.

St. Theodota, martyr, pray for us.

------------

1st READING

Daniel 7:9-10.13-14 or Revelation 12:7-12

Sometimes I ask myself, “What is all of the fuss about?” Thrones ablaze, fiery chariots and all the rest of it seem to me to be things of fantasy rather than of the Spirit. This may be the case; however, such images serve to reinforce the majesty and power of the one who sits on the throne, namely God. We can never give Him too much honor; He is the King of the Universe! The Archangels whom we celebrate today are ministers of the King of the Universe.

9 As I watched, Thrones were set up and the Ancient One took his throne. His clothing was snow bright, and the hair on his head as white as wool; His throne was flames of fire, with wheels of burning fire. 10 A surging stream of fire flowed out from where he sat; Thousands upon thousands were ministering to him, and myriads upon myriads attended him. The court was convened, and the books were opened. 13 As the visions during the night continued, I saw One like a son of man coming, on the clouds of heaven; When he reached the Ancient One and was presented before him, 14 He received dominion, glory, and kingship; nations and peoples of every language serve him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that shall not be taken away, his kingship shall not be destroyed.

P S A L M

Psalm 138:1-2, 2-3, 4-5

R: In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, Lord.

1 I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with all my heart, for you have heard the words of my mouth; in the presence of the angels I will sing your praise; 2 I will worship at your holy temple and give thanks to your name. (R) Because of your kindness and your truth; for you have made great above all things your name and your promise. 3 When I called, you answered me; you built up strength within me. (R) 4 All the kings of the earth shall give thanks to you, O LORD, when they hear the words of your mouth; 5 and they shall sing of the ways of the LORD “Great is the glory of the LORD.” (R)

G O S P E L

John 1:47-51

Probably more often than not we are being aided in the spiritual battle by the angels of God. I am sure that even though we are unaware that they are fighting for us, they do so under the command of God Himself. Without God’s love for us we would cease to exist; perhaps similarly, with the aid of His angels we would be constantly at the mercy of the powers of the enemy. Let us pray for the grace to be more aware of all that God does for us in our lives so that we will grow in gratitude and love for Him.

47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him and said of him, “Here is a true Israelite. There is no duplicity in him.” 48 Nathanael said to him, “How do you know me?” Jesus answered and said to him, “Before Philip called you, I saw you under the fig tree.” 49 Nathanael answered him, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel.” 50 Jesus answered and said to him, “Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than this.” 51 And he said to him, “Amen, amen, I say to you, you will see the sky opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.”

my reflections

think: We are being aided in the spiritual battle by the angels of God.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Zechariah 11-14

September
Sunday

THE BOXING MATCH

Compete well for the faith. – 1 Timothy 6:12

I watched Manny Pacquiao defeat Erik Morales on the 12th round.

I pitied their bruised faces. People around Manny hugged him and kissed him. Our officials traveled all the way to Las Vegas to witness the bout personally, spending thousands of dollars in doing so.

I cannot help but compare it with our fight for our faith. Or even our fight for a better country, a better family, a better society. If our life were a 15-round championship match, how would we fare? Would we win or lose? Would we be tired or going strong?

Or would we be down for the count?

Many temptations around distract us from our spiritual journey. But as in a match, we need a spiritual coach to help us to always go back on track. And we need to go to great lengths – spend time for prayer, read spiritual materials, attend formation sessions – in order to win the fight.

With our faith firmly grounded, we can be sure we will always be victorious, whatever the fight is, because God, who is always by our side, has already won it for us! Tess VA.

REFLECTION:

How is your fight for your faith going?

Lord, with You by my side, I know I will be able to finish the race and win.

----------------

GUILTY BECAUSE INNOCENT

Guilty or not guilty? How do we plead?

The rich man in the parable today, was he guilty or not guilty? How should he plead?

The parable neither explicitly states nor implies that the rich man amassed his wealthy through illegal means. It does not also mention the rich man being uncharitable to Lazarus who sits by his door. Perhaps, he was even kind enough to allow Lazarus and his miserable sight to stay at his door so that Lazarus could eat the scraps that fell from his table. But the rich man did nothing more than that, when he could have taken Lazarus in and employed him so that he may earn his own keeping. The rich man was not guilty of anything evil against Lazarus. He was innocent, but it was precisely his innocence that brought him to hell.

It does not mean that because we are not guilty of any wrongdoing that we are innocent. There are times when our own innocence in itself pleads our guilt. We are guilty not because of any evil deed done but because of some good we failed or refused to do. It is not our guilt that judges us; our innocence may also condemn us. When we think of our sins against our neighbor, do we focus only on the evil we have committed and neglect the good we have omitted? When we examine our conscience, do we consider as sins only the wrong we have done to others but brush aside the good we have withheld from them? When we are sorry for our sins, are we sorry because we have hurt others, but not as sorry because we were indifferent to them? Do we mean what we say when we pray, “I confess to Almighty God and to you, my brothers and sisters, for I have sinned through my own fault, in what I have done and IN WHAT I HAVE FAILED TO DO?” We do indeed fail in many aspects, though we may not be guilty on several counts.

Do we need Abraham to send Lazarus back from the dead to warn us and convince us that our innocence is precisely our guilt? But if we do not listen to the living, are we sure that we will listen to the dead? And if someone rises from the dead, will that someone not rise to convict us instead?

Someone already came back from the dead. His name is Jesus. But have we really seriously considered His warning? Fr. Bobby T.

REFLECTION QUESTION: Our innocence in itself pleads our guilt.

“I confess to Almighty God and to you, my brothers and sister, that I have sinned through my own fault, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done and in what I have failed to do. And I ask Blessed Mary, ever virgin, all the angels and saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord, our God.” (Confiteor of the Mass)

St. Leopardus, martyr, pray for us.

-------------

1st READING

Amos 6:1.4-7

Amos has moved from condemning the actual acts of injustice to the immorality that follows on from them. Amos condemns the rich who could not care less about the plight of the poor. Regardless of whose fault it may or may not be that they are poor, this never justifies anything that even approaches unconcern for their situation. The hedonism of our age stands condemned by this text. The wasteful expenditure of money on parties that are morally degenerate and empty is likewise condemned.

1 Woe to the complacent in Zion! 4 Lying upon beds of ivory, stretched comfortably on their couches, they eat lambs taken from the flock, and calves from the stall! 5 Improvising to the music of the harp, like David, they devise their own accompaniment. 6 They drink wine from bowls and anoint themselves with the best oils; yet they are not made ill by the collapse of Joseph! 7 Therefore, now they shall be the first to go into exile, and their wanton revelry shall be done away with.

P S A L M

Psalm 146:6-7, 8-9, 9-10

R: Praise the Lord, my soul!

6 Blessed is he who keeps faith forever, 7 secures justice for the oppressed, gives good to the hungry. The LORD sets captives

free. (R) 8 The LORD gives sight to the blind; the LORD raises up those that were bowed down. The LORD loves the just; 9 the LORD protects strangers. (R) The fatherless and the widow he sustains, but the way of the wicked he thwarts. 10 The LORD shall reign forever; your God, O Zion, through all generations. Alleluia. (R)

2nd READING

1 Timothy 6:11-16

The life of faith is always going to be a battle with the secular forces of our day. Spiritually speaking, we are never going to be far from one sort of war or another. The question is whether or not we will take up the cudgels of battle and fight or will we surrender to the temptations of the world. This is a very real question for us all – one that has eternal consequences. It is easier to give in to the world but such a course of action may well result in our depriving ourselves of the gift of eternal life.

11 But you, man of God, avoid all this. Instead, pursue righteousness, devotion, faith, love, patience, and gentleness. 12 Compete well for the faith. Lay hold of eternal life, to which you were called when you made the noble confession in the presence of many witnesses. 13 I charge [you] before God, who gives life to all things, and before Christ Jesus, who gave testimony under Pontius Pilate for the noble confession, 14 to keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearance of our Lord Jesus Christ 15 that the blessed and only ruler will make manifest at the proper time, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, and whom no human being has seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal power. Amen.

G O S P E L

Luke 16:19-31

The rich man was given a multitude of opportunities to respond to the plight of Lazarus. Each day he refused to help him out. We should not be surprised that this resulted in his being deprived of eternal life and Lazarus receiving it. Let us learn from this parable that we have to take the call to care for the poor seriously. It is not something that we can afford to ignore. Jesus makes it abundantly clear that we will be judged according to the way that we have exercised our moral responsibilities.

19 “There was a rich man who dressed in purple garments and fine linen and dined sumptuously each day. 20 And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, 21 who would gladly have eaten his fill of the scraps that fell from the rich man’s table. Dogs even used to come and lick his sores. 22 When the poor man died, he was carried away by angels to the bosom of Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried, 23 and from the netherworld, where he was in torment, he raised his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. 24 And he cried out, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me. Send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am suffering torment in these flames.’ 25 Abraham replied, ‘My child, remember that you received what was good during your lifetime while Lazarus likewise received what was bad; but now he is comforted here, whereas you are tormented. 26 Moreover, between us and you a great chasm is established to prevent anyone from crossing who might wish to go from our side to yours or from your side to ours.’ 27 He said, ‘Then I beg you, father, send him to my father’s house, 28 for I have five brothers, so that he may warn them, lest they too come to this place of torment.’ 29 But Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the prophets. Let them listen to them.’ 30 He said, ‘Oh no, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’ 31 Then Abraham said, ‘If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead.’”

my reflections

think: Let us take the call to care for the poor seriously.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Malachi 1-4

REVIEW OF THE QUARTER

Did I fulfill my last Quarter Goals?

What were the most important words the Lord gave to me this quarter?

What were my greatest blessings these past three months?

What are my most pressing needs for the next quarter?

NOTES:

Be God's blessing to the world this Monday!

OCTOBER 1, 2007

WE ALL BELONG TO GOD

“Do not forbid him; for he that is not against you is for you.” – Luke 9:50

You’ve got to be kidding.

That was my reaction when I read an email from one of the Gawad Kalinga fulltime missionaries I met in Canada. This married couple was committing P1,000 to my ministry for the poor, Anawim, each month.

I rubbed my eyes. Is this a typo? How could they do this? Don’t they need the money for their projects?

Let me explain.

Gawad Kalinga is a ministry pioneered by Couples for Christ. Since they began, they’ve built thousands of homes for the poor all over the country and beyond. Wherever I go, I tell people to join and help make GK777 a reality: 700,000 homes in 7,000 villages in 7 years! I regularly raise funds for them. And my community, Light of Jesus, together with Buklod ng Panginoon, is building 200 plus homes in a GK site.

But now here was this email staring me in the face—a GK missionary—donating to Anawim, my ministry. Wow.

Unity is possible. We don’t have to compete.

Because we all belong to God. Bo S.

REFLECTION:

Can you reach out and help another group that you don’t belong to?

Lord, remove division and selfishness and insecurity among our religious leaders. Begin with me, Lord. Remove these from within me.

BE AS A LITTLE CHILD

A small child can be a great teacher to us at times. Look at the way a child plays, observe the child who trusts in his/her mother. Listen to a child who makes known a request to the parent. Notice the way a child embraces the parent. Certain characteristics such as innocence, simplicity, dependency, purity of heart are how we are to relate to God as Father.

Today we celebrate the life of a saint who desired to make herself child-like, not childish. Therese desired to be little, since, as she was later to discover, it was through her littleness that God would achieve great things. In her writings, Therese of Liseux teaches us what it is to be totally and completely abandoned to God the Father. We can come to a Father who loves us and anticipates our every need. This, as Therese would suggest, is the “little way of love”. This was the great secret to her sainthood and her being proclaimed as doctor of the Church. I have often read the writings of Therese and come to the conclusion that the spiritual life is really quite simple, and I am the one who makes it so complicated!

In her writings, Therese borrows the image of the elevator , a modern convenience we have become quite accustomed to now. However, in her day it was something new and inventory. Therese understood the elevator as a convenience in her day to reach a higher level. No longer would one have to trudge the stairway and become exhausted at having traveled so many stairs. All that one had to do was to step inside the elevator, press a few buttons and the machine would activate and bring you to your destination. You just have to stand there and wait.

Therese borrows the image and understands that Jesus is like the elevator. His are the arms that lift us to the Father. All one needs to do is rest in His arms effortlessly and confidently that Jesus lifts us to the Father. That is the way a child behaves if they are confident in the parent’s love for them.

In the Gospel the disciples learn a lesson. They are beginning to become popular. They jostle for position, status and attention. They behave childishly. Jesus shakes His head, realizing the intention of their hearts and perhaps afraid it might end up a bit rough! He calls the disciple to Himself and places a child among them. “The least among you shall be the greatest”. Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: Do I trust that God will provide for me? Can I abandon myself completely to the Father? Do I recognise that all I have is given to me by God – the giver of all gifts?

Jesus, thank You for drawing me to the Father. I surrender myself to You that you might lead me to the Father. Thank You that I am a son/daughter of God whom I can invoke as Father. Amen

St. Virila, abbot, pray for us.
________

PERSONAL MISSION STATEMENT

The ultimate purpose of my life

GOALS FOR THE QUARTER

Priority areas God wants me to work on

1st READING

Zechariah 8:1-8

One of the Old Testament themes that characterizes God’s relationship with the Chosen People is that of jealousy. The Lord is jealous in His love for His People to the point that it angers Him when they sin and draw away from Him. It is His love for the People that constantly causes Him to act to bring them back to Himself. It is by the power of God that the People are constantly rescued from danger and near destruction.

1 Thus says the LORD of hosts: 2 I am intensely jealous for Zion, stirred to jealous wrath for her. 3 Thus says the LORD: I will return to Zion, and I will dwell within Jerusalem; Jerusalem shall be called the faithful city, and the mountain of the LORD of hosts, the holy mountain. 4 Thus says the LORD of hosts: Old men and old women, each with staff in hand because of old age, shall again sit in the streets of Jerusalem. 5 The city shall be filled with boys and girls playing in her streets. 6 Thus says the LORD of hosts: Even if this should seem impossible in the eyes of the remnant of this people, shall it in those days be impossible in my eyes also, says the LORD of hosts? 7 Thus says the LORD of hosts: Lo, I will rescue my people from the land of the rising sun, and from the land of the setting sun. 8 I will bring them back to dwell within Jerusalem. They shall be my people, and I will be their God, with faithfulness and justice.

P S A L M

Psalm 102:16-18, 19-21, 29, 22, 23

R: The Lord will build up Zion again and appear in all his glory.

15 [16] The nations shall revere your name, O LORD, and all the kings of the earth your glory, 16 [17] when the LORD has rebuilt Zion and appeared in his glory; 17 [18] when he has regarded the prayer of the destitute, and not despised their prayer. (R) 18 [19] Let this be written for the generation to come, and let his future creatures praise the LORD: 19 [20] “The LORD looked down from his holy height, from heaven he beheld the earth, 20 [21] To hear the groaning of the prisoners, to release those doomed to die.” (R) 28 [29] The children of your servants shall abide, and their posterity shall continue in your presence. 21 [22] That the name of the LORD may be declared in Zion; and his praise, in Jerusalem, 22 [23] When the peoples gather together, and the kingdoms, to serve the LORD. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 9:46-50

Jesus often tells us that it is the least among us who will turn out to be the greatest. Today we celebrate the Feast of St Therese of Lisieux. She is a perfect example of this truth. She is a young cloistered nun who desires to do great things and discovers that her vocation is simply to love the people with whom she lives and to pray for the salvation of souls. She will not become a priest, nor a missionary to Asia, nor a martyr. However, she does become one of the greatest modern saints and an example of love for all.

46 An argument arose among the disciples about which of them was the greatest. 47 Jesus realized the intention of their hearts and took a child and placed it by his side 48 and said to them, “Whoever receives this child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me. For the one who is least among all of you is the one who is the greatest.” 49 Then John said in reply, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow in our company.” 50 Jesus said to him, “Do not prevent him, for whoever is not against you is for you.”

my reflections

think:

It is His love for the People that constantly causes Him to act to bring them back to himself.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR 1 Maccabees 1-2

God has a great plan for your life including this Tuesday.

2 October
Tuesday

Mary Mother of God

ANGELS ALL AROUND

“For My angel will go before you…” – Exodus 23:23

I was late for work but the warning light on my gas gauge had been lit since I left the house. So I pulled into the nearest gas station and asked the attendant to pump only P500 worth of fuel.

“You accept credit cards?” I asked the gas boy.

“Yes ma’am,” he replied and took my card.

He returned and said that their credit card machine rejected my card. I didn’t have any other card and I was almost sure I didn’t have P500.

I got all the money I had in my wallet and in the car. I came up with P485.

“This is all I have,” I told the attendant sheepishly.

“It’s OK, ma’am, I’ll take care of the difference,” he replied.

I drove off and prayed a blessing for the gas boy.

A few days after, I returned to the gas station to repay the attendant. I described him to the other gas boys there but they said nobody worked there with that description. He must have been an angel.

Many times, angels come our way- Godsends who aid us, rescue us and protect us. Rissa S.

REFLECTION:

“Make yourself familiar with the angels, and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen, they are present with you.” (St. Francis de Sales)

Dear Lord, send angels to go before me to guard me and lead me where You want me to go.
---------------

MY ANGEL WILL GO BEFORE YOU

We all know the experience of being comforted. That reassuring touch, the knowing smile, a word of encouragement or some other gesture or word that makes us feel understood, noticed and loved. Just to hear the words “I am with you” can mean so much at a particular time or circumstance.

Today’s feast of the guardian angels is really a celebration of the presence of God who is with us. There are many ways in which God reveals his presence to us. I often find the presence of God revealed in creation. There are many personal experiences we can share of God’s presence with us. We find the revelation of God in the presence of another person or a friend. God reveals himself to us in the sacred scriptures, divinely inspired by the Spirit. God reveals himself to us in the sacraments of the Church, primarily and especially in the Eucharist.

Our God has not abandoned us nor has God left us unaided. God sends us an angel to guard and guide us in our life’s journey. The Church teaches us that “beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading us to life.” We read in the Bible many stories of angels. The angel meets with Abram to tell him of a future son born to him: an angel walks with Tobit and brings relief from pain to Tobias. The angel appears to Mary announcing the birth of the Savior. These are heavenly messengers sent by God to fulfill the will of God.

In today’s reading we hear that God will send His angel “to guard you on the way and bring you to the place I have prepared”. This seems a great comfort to all of us to know that we are not alone on our journey of faith. Another proof of the love and concern God has for His people. I am reminded of a painting (artist unknown) that some might know. The drawing depicts the artist’s impression of the guardian angel. The angel is walking beside the small child as she crosses the bridge. It illustrates well to us the notion of the angel – again a telling illustration of God’s constant protection over us. Let us be reminded of the truth of God’s love for us. For that is what St. John tells us in his letter: “How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: God guides us in many ways. How have I experienced the guidance of God in my life? Do I believe that God is with me? He never leaves me abandoned for he watches over me always.

Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God’s love commits me here. Ever this day be at my side to light, to guard, to rule and guide Amen.

St. Eleutherius, pray for us.
---------------
1st READING

Exodus 23:20-23

The angels are servants of God who, once they have chosen a path for life, cannot change their minds. Today we celebrate a particular role of some of the angels, that of being our guardians who protect us from evil and lead us along the right way to God. Many of the saints had an active relationship with their Guardian Angels. This does not seem to be the case with most of us, however, we can be sure that we all have them.

20 “See, I am sending an angel before you, to guard you on the way and bring you to the place I have prepared. 21 Be attentive to him and heed his voice. Do not rebel against him, for he will not forgive your sin. My authority resides in him. 22 If you heed his voice and carry out all I tell you, I will be an enemy to your enemies and a foe to your foes. 23 My angel will go before you and bring you to the Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Canaanites, Hivites and Jebusites; and I will wipe them out.”

P S A L M

Psalm 91:1-2, 3-4, 4-6, 10-11

R: The Lord has put angels in charge of you, to guard you in all your ways.

1 You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty, 2 Say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” (R) 3 For he will rescue you from the snare of the fowler, from the destroying pestilence. 4 With his pinions he will cover you, and under his wings you shall take refuge. (R) His faithfulness is a buckler and a shield. 5 You shall not fear the terror of the night nor the arrow that flies by day; 6 nor the pestilence that roams in darkness nor the devastating plague at noon. (R) 10 No evil shall befall you, nor shall affliction come near your tent, 11 for to his angels he has given command about you, that they guard you in all your ways. (R)

G O S P E L

Matthew 18:1-5.10

Trust is so important in the life of a disciple of Jesus. Without trust our relationship with God is highly likely to be very testy. Just as a small child generally seems to know implicitly that the desire of his/her parents will be for his/her good, so too should we trust God in this way. God sends us angels to minister to and protect us from evil. We can choose to believe this or completely ignore it! It would be such a pity to waste the goodwill that God demonstrates to us through his angels.

1 At that time the disciples approached Jesus and said, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” 2 He called a child over, placed it in their midst, 3 and said,“Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me. 10 See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father.”

my reflections

think: God sends us angels to minister to and protect us from evil.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR 1 Maccabees 3-4

October
Wednesday

EMBASSY INTERVIEW

For the favoring hand of my God was upon me. –Nehemiah 2:8

My interview at the US Embassy for a visa renewal was two days away. Suddenly, jitters overcame me. Will I need an original birth certificate? Do I have enough bank accounts to show them?

The questions hounded me so much that I couldn’t sleep for the next two nights. I resorted to prayer and surrendered the outcome to the Lord. I prayed that the Lord would make the consul I would face to be well disposed towards me. I even asked some friends and relatives to say a prayer.

At the embassy, I was more nervous than when I had to face a crowd of thousands to give a talk. Finally, after two and a half hours, it was my turn to be interviewed. The interview went so fast I can’t even remember how the consul looked! He didn’t ask for a single document, not even an ID! He just handed me the OK slip.

Sometimes, we prepare more for an interview like this than our regular prayer appointment with the Lord. What we don’t realize is that when our affairs with Him are in order, everything else falls into place. And His favoring hand is with us wherever we go. Rissa S.

REFLECTION:

What preparations do you need to make to meet the Lord every day?

Lord, sometimes I put more effort in pleasing people than I do in pleasing You. Help me to always be prepared to meet You every day. Amen.

---------------

COME AND FOLLOW ME

We read in the Gospels that many people followed Jesus. Some people followed Jesus because of the “free feed”. Others to see what they can get from Him. Still others because He had changed their life.

There are many things that we “follow” – a particular political ideology, or some kind of hero, a certain leader who is on the side of the people, a television series so that one can keep abreast with the story being dramatized. But to “follow” Jesus is a totally different concept. To follow means to imitate, to walk alongside, and to be with the person of Jesus. It involves commitment and dedication to a person.

Today we are told of three different people and their encounters with Jesus. The first person is seemingly enthusiastic in wanting to follow Jesus. “I will follow you wherever you go”. We are not told of the motive, nor how they met. Jesus appears to challenge the enthusiast. There is a sense of urgency if you are to follow Jesus. The birds of the air and beasts of the field have somewhere to rest but not the Son of Man. There is purpose and a goal which must be accomplished – that of proclaiming the Kingdom of God.

The second person is invited to follow Jesus, but a different reaction is noted. The person will follow Jesus, it seems, but not just yet. When that is to come about one will never know. He could be waiting around for a long time and miss the opportunity that is given. The third person is keen to follow but he must go back and say farewell to folks at home. This seems to be a valid request but here the ties of family pull him back. What will my family think? What will my friends and colleaugues think if I don’t go and say goodbye? No one can be in two minds. Jesus says “No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the Kingdom of God”. These people are the “yes-but-not-just-yet people”. The person is torn apart between commitments and duties owed to family and friends.

They are left undecided and fail to get up and go.

There is a cost in following Jesus. It is the cost of our lives and nothing less. Jesus will not force one to follow. He invites. But the invitation demands a response. We are frree to respond. There is risk involved. There is adventure. There is a stepping out of those comfort zones that we allow ourselves to adopt. Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: Jesus invites us to follow him. What is that obstacle in your life that prevents you from following Jesus? Is it fear, sin, inadequacies, what is it I need to let go off in order to follow Jesus?

Lord Jesus You call me to follow you. Give me the grace to hear Your call and to follow You. I place my trust in you. Amen

St. Candidus, martyr, pray for us.

--------------

1st READING

Nehemiah 2:1-8

Nehemiah asks permission and help from King Artaxerxes to return to Jerusalem and begin the task of rebuilding the Temple and the city. This is a task that will occupy the Jews for decades and we have some stories about it in the Books of Ezra and Nehemiah as well as in Haggai and Habbakuk. Unfortunately for Nehemiah, many of the Jews were reluctant to return as they had developed a comfortable and prosperous life in exile! Slowly however, enough return and the building program is eventually completed.

1 In the month Nisan of the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when the wine was in my charge, I took some and offered it to the king. As I had never before been sad in his presence, 2 the king asked me, “Why do you look sad? If you are not sick, you must be sad at heart.” Though I was seized with great fear, 3 I answered the king, “May the king live forever! How could I not look sad when the city where my ancestors are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been eaten out by fire?” 4 The king asked me, “What is it, then, that you wish?” I prayed to the God of heaven 5 and then answered the king “If it please the king, and if your servant is deserving of your favor, send me to Judah, to the city of my ancestors’ graves, to rebuild it.” 6 Then the king, and the queen seated beside him, asked me how long my journey would take and when I would return. I set a date that was acceptable to him, and the king agreed that I might go. 7 I asked the king further, “If it please the king, let letters be given to me for the governors of West-of-euphrates, that they may afford me safe-conduct till I arrive in Judah; 8 also a letter for Asaph, the keeper of the royal park, that he may give me wood for timbering the gates of the temple-citadel and for the city wall and the house that I shall occupy.” The king granted my requests, for the favoring hand of my God was upon me.

P S A L M

Psalm 137:1-2, 3, 4-5, 6

R: Let my tongue be silenced if I ever forget you!

1 By the streams of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion. 2 On the aspens of that land we hung up our harps. (R) 3 Though there our captors asked of us the lyrics of our songs, and our despoilers urged us to be joyous “Sing for us the songs of Zion!” (R) 4 How could we sing a song of the LORD in a foreign land? 5 If I forget you, Jerusalem, may my right hand be forgotten! (R) 6 May my tongue cleave to my palate if I remember you not, if I place not Jerusalem ahead of my joy. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 9:57-62

Jesus makes it clear that to follow Him will not be an easy thing to do. There will be times of deprivation and struggle that may cause potential followers to want to reconsider their decision. Discipleship is always like this – a challenge to detach one’s self from the comforts and pleasures of this earthly life in order to secure the promise of eternal life. No matter what the hardships or price, it is worth paying as the reward is far greater than anything we could imagine.

57 As they were proceeding on their journey someone said to him,“I will follow you wherever you go.” 58 Jesus answered him, “Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head.” 59 And to another he said, “Follow me.” But he replied, “[Lord,] let me go first and bury my father.” 60 But he answered him, “Let the dead bury their dead. But you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.” 61 And another said, “I will follow you, Lord, but first let me say farewell to my family at home.” 62 Jesus said, “No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the kingdom of God.”

my reflections

think: Discipleship is always like this – a challenge to detach one’s self from the comforts and pleasures of this earthly life in order to secure the promise of eternal life.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR 1 Maccabees 5-6

Removing Barriers
READ: 1 Corinthians 10:16-22

You are all one in Christ Jesus. —Galatians 3:28

A missionary in Calcutta said that she was profoundly influenced by a communion service she had attended during World War II. The leader of that meeting was a Swedish minister. Among those present were a Chinese pastor, a Japanese teacher, a German doctor, several English citizens, and a few Indian believers.

The missionary recalled that she felt a closeness to each person in that diverse gathering, especially when they partook of the bread and the cup. They felt a bond of Christian fellowship, even though some of them were from countries engaged in a brutal war.

The next time you celebrate the Lord's Supper, think about your oneness with all who are participating in the service with you. Resolve to look beyond all cultural distinctions and do what you can to remove the barriers between you and others.

Be merciful to those who have wronged you. Tell God you will forgive them and accept them. Determine that with His help you will show kindness to everyone, whether you feel like it or not. See the people around you as fellow members of the body of Christ.

This type of unity will enrich your life and enhance your church's influence in the world. — Herbert Vander Lugt

October
Thursday

SCOOPS OF LOVE

“Do not be saddened this day...” – Nehemiah 8:10

When I was eight years old, my whole family went swimming. I was so excited that the night before I already wore my trunks to sleep. Finally when at the pool, I heard a familiar sound. The bell of an ice cream man!

“This is spectacular!” I thought. Two of my loves in one day – swimming and ice cream!

So I ran towards the man. Looking at the delicious ice cream flavors, my mouth started to water. But I realized I didn’t have money to buy even a scoop. I sadly turned back when I saw my Dad coming towards me. He looked at the ice cream man and said, “Give my son a scoop of that.” And then he went back to swim.

Holding the ice cream cone, I smiled. My cousins had called their Daddy but no one came. They were so busy swimming. But not my Dad; he was there. He bought me a scoop. Then tragedy struck. Without warning, one of my relatives, out of jealousy, pushed me and made me drop my ice cream cone. In disbelief and anger, I cried silently. I looked down at my wasted ice cream.

Then I felt a touch on my head. I looked up and saw my Dad. He came back. And with a sure voice he told the ice cream vendor, “Givemy son three scoops!” Arun G.

REFLECTION:

Did you lose a scoop of blessing? Then let God give you a gallon of His love!

Lord, I believe that You are the God who restores.

---------------------

THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS AT HAND FOR YOU

One can find many themes that run throughout the Gospel of Luke. One of these themes is that of universality. God is the Father of all peoples and His arms are never to short to embrace all peoples - all are included in the embrace of God. As Paul writes to Timothy, “God wills that all be saved”. The “other” 72 disciples are sent out ahead of Jesus to “every town and place he intended to visit”. They are to go ahead of Jesus with peace, as sowers of peace; to heal; as instruments of the Lord’s healing grace, and to preach the kingdom of God, as bearers of good news. They are to be missionaries of God’s Love. They are itinerant, that is they travel from place to place staying in the same town where they are accepted. They are on a journey, with the Spirit accompanying them, responding to the call of Jesus to go and being laborers of the harvest.

Their lives have a sense of urgency about it — “Go on your way... greet no one along the way”. They are to live simply — “carry no money bag, no sack, no sandals”. They are to be flexible — “if a person of peace lives there your peace will rest on them; but if not it will return to you” The disciples are to be open to the provision of God — “Stay in the same house and eat and drink what is offered to you, for the laborer deserves his payment.” The journey is risky — “I am sending you like lambs among wolves.”

There are many who have heard the call of God to follow Him in this radical way. And in fact God desires all of us to be missionaries of His love in whatever circumstance we find ourselves in. We have heard of the saying that actions speak louder than words. Francis of Assisi was big on this. On instructing his friars who were about to go out on the streets he said, to “go out and preach and if you must, use words”. God expects great things from us as we open our selves to His life giving Spirit. May we find ourselves to be instruments of His life and love again in our day. Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: Where can you see in your life that you are a missionary of the love of God? What seems the most challenging way to make present the love of God?

Ask God for the grace to love as he has loved us. Lord, send the fire of Your Spirit into my heart. Fill me with Your love and grace that I may be a missionary of your love to all whom I have contact with.

St. Mark, martyr, pray for us.

------------------

1st READING

Nehemiah 8:1-4.5-6.7-12

Ezra reads from the Book of the Law for several hours in the heat of the sun. Thepeople remain attentive to what he is saying. This is the sort of love for and honor with which we should hold the Scriptures. They are the Word of God for our lives and as such contain the message of eternal life. No hardship should be too great for us to endure in order to be able to read the Scriptures. Their words are life and are far more important than any other type of food we can eat. Food for the spirit will far outlast food for the body, which is passing away.

1 The whole people gathered as one man in the open space before the Water Gate, and they called upon Ezra the scribe to bring forth the book of the law of Moses which the LORD prescribed for Israel. 2 On the first day of the seventh month, therefore, Ezra the priest brought the law before the assembly, which consisted of men, women, and those children old enough to understand. 3 Standing at one end of the open place that was before the Water Gate, he read out of the book from daybreak till midday, in the presence of the men, the women, and those children old enough to understand; and all the people listened attentively to the book of the law. 4 Ezra the scribe stood on a wooden platform that had been made for the occasion. 5 Ezra opened the scroll so that all the people might see it (for he was standing higher up than any of the people); and, as he opened it, all the people rose. 6 Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God, and all the people, their hands raised high, answered, “Amen, amen!” Then they bowed down and prostrated themselves before the LORD, their faces to the ground. 7 The Levites Jeshua, Bani, Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub, Shabbethai, Hodiah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan, and Pelaiah explained the law to the people, who remained in their places. 8 Ezra read plainly from the book of the law of God, interpreting it so that all could understand what was read. 9 Then Nehemiah, that is, His Excellency, and Ezra the priestscribe [and the Levites who were instructing the people] said to all the people, “Today is holy to the LORD your God. Do not be sad, and do not weep” — for all the people were weeping as they heard the words of the law. 10 He said further, “Go, eat rich foods and drink sweet drinks, and allot portions to those who had nothing prepared; for today is holy to our LORD. Do not be saddened this day, for rejoicing in the LORD must be your strength!” 11 And the Levites quieted all the people, saying, “Hush, for today is holy, and you must not be saddened.” 12 Then all the people went to eat and drink, to distribute portions, and to celebrate with great joy, for they understood the words that had been expounded to them.

P S A L M

Psalm 19:8, 9, 10, 11

R: The precepts of the Lord give joy to the heart.

7 [8] The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul; the decree of the LORD is trustworthy, giving wisdom to the simple. (R) 8 [9] The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the command of the LORD is clear, enlightening the eye; (R) 9 [10] the fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever; the ordinances of the LORD are true, all of them just. (R) 10 [11] They are more precious than gold, than a heap of purest gold; sweeter also than syrup or honey from the comb. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 10:1-12

Today we celebrate the Feast of St Francis of Assisi. Perhaps more than any other person who has lived, he was a man who gave himself over to the living of the Gospel in imitation of Jesus. His love for poverty and desire to proclaim the Good News to the ends of the earth continues to inspire many even to this day. This most beloved of all saints stands as a human testimony to the power of God to use the simple yes of a simple man tochange the Church and to inspire people to love God and their neighbor more fully.

1 After this the Lord appointed seventy -two others whom he sent ahead of him in pairs to every town and place he intended to visit. 2 He said to them, “The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few; so ask the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his harvest. 3 Go on your way; behold, I am sending you like lambs among wolves. 4 Carry no money bag, no sack, no sandals; and greet no one along the way. 5 Into whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this household.’ 6 If a peaceful person lives there, your peace will rest on him; but if not, it will return to you. 7 Stay in the same house and eat and drink what is offered to you, for the laborer deserves his payment. Do not move about from one house to another. 8 Whatever town you enter and they welcome you, eat what is set before you, 9 cure the sick in it and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God is at hand for you.’ 10 Whatever town you enter and they do not receive you, go out into the streets and say, 11 ‘The dust of your town that clings to our feet, even that we shake off against you.’ Yet know this: the kingdom of God is at hand. 12 I tell you, it will be more tolerable for Sodom on that day than for that town.”

my reflections

think: No hardship should be too great for us to endure in order to be able to read the Scriptures.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR 1 Maccabees 7-9

GETTING TO KNOW THE SAINTS

Saint Francis of Assisi

Saint Francis of Assisi, or Francis Bernardone, was born in 1181 at Umbria, Italy. He was the son of a wealthy silk merchant so Francis grew up in extravagant-living and merry-making. He was not interested in his father s business. Instead, he joined the army and was taken prisoner. When he was released, Francis grew ill twice. One day, he saw a vision of Christ. The Lord urged him to turn back. Francis changed his lifestyle. He began to pray often and offer sacrifices. He gave money and clothes to the poor and served the sick in hospitals. His father was furious ; he called him a madman and disinherited him.

Saint Francis followed the Gospels with Jesus as his example. He dressed in ragged clothes and begged in order to live. The man preached purity and peace, and continued his service to the sick and poor. Soon after, he began to attract followers. Thus, in 1209, he founded the Franciscans. Saint Francis encouraged the friars toown nothing and to love poverty.

God blessed the saint with the ability to do miracles and to make birds and animals obey him. In September 1224, Francis received the stigmata. His hands and feet bled for the remaining two years of his life.

Saint Francis of Assisi died on October 4, 1226 at Portiuncula, Italy. He was proclaimed a saint by Pope Gregory IX on July 16, 1228.

http://www.daughtersofstpaul.com/saintday/m10.html#BM3

http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/1004.htm#fran

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintf01.htm

Saint Denis and Company

Denis, the patron saint of France, was born in the third century. He was a missionary in Paris who later became the city s first bishop. His success in preaching the Good News led to the anger of local pagans. He was put in prison by the Roman governor and martyred in c.258 with Saints Rusticus and Eleutherius. Denis and his two companions were beheaded at Montmarte. His body was thrown in the Seine, but it was recovered and buried by his converts.

Saint Denis was one of the Fourteen Holy Helpers.

http://www.daughtersofstpaul.com/saintday/m10.html#BM3

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintd03.htm

October
Friday

HUSH…

“For we did not heed the voice of the Lord, our God…” – Baruch 1:21

For our reflection today, I would like to borrow from the compilation of meditations of our dear Mother Teresa from the book Jesus: The Word to be Spoken by Bro. Angelo Davananda.

It is difficult to pray if you don’t know how to pray, but we must help ourselves to pray. The first means to use is silence. Souls of prayer are souls of great silence. We cannot put ourselves directly in the presence of God if we do not practice internal and external silence.... Silence gives us a new outlook on everything. We need silence to be able to touch souls. The essential thing is not what we say but what God says to us and through us. Jesus is always waiting for us in silence. In that silence, he will listen to us, there he will speak to our soul, and there we will hear his voice.

What has the Lord been speaking to you about lately? Expanding your ministry? Struggles? Recurring sins? Give more generously? Take the bold leap of faith? Listen closely. Lallaine G.

REFLECTION:

How is my silent time with the Lord? Am I listening?

Lord, teach me to find solace in Your quiet loving presence. May it be my home. Speak to my soul and let me hear Your voice.

--------------

LET US LISTEN TO HIS VOICE

Have you ever heard the phrase, “How many times have I told you?” Often the phrase can come from the voice of the parent reprimanding the child who hasn’t heeded the request of the parent. The parent is fostering obedience in the child. The child heard the parent’s request but the child doesn’t comprehend, that is it, goes in one ear and out the other! Time and time again the child is told this but still fails to understand. However, note that the parent only discusses this and brings it to the attention of the child because the parent knows what is best for the child; it is a service of love The Jewish people, who are being addressed by Baruch, in the first reading today, are people who have not heeded the voice of the Lord. They are like the children who have heard the request of the parent but have not carried it out. Now in retrospect, they (the Jewish people) are filled with shame as they come to the realization that God has been constant in proclaiming his percepts, primarily through His servants, the prophets. “We have been disobedient to the Lord, our God, and only too ready to disregard His voice.”

They repent of their wickedness before their God “each of us went off after the devices of his own wicked heart, served other gods and did evil in the sight of God.” The fourth Eucharistic prayer uses similar language. The priest prays on behalf of the people. He prays: Even when we disobeyed you and lost your friendship you did not abandon man.... Again and again you offered a covenant to man, and through the prophets taught him to hope for salvation. How often have we refused the friendship of God in the sense that we think we know what is best? Praise God who is forever patient. We are impatient. Praise to our God who is forever faithful; we are constant in unfaithfulness towards God. We give praise to God who wins us to Himself with love The trouble with the people that Baruch addresses is that they didn’t obey the voice of the Lord. Obedience comes from the Latin word ob-audiere- meaning to listen. God is in constant dialogue with us - but do we listen? Do we attune ourselves to His voice? As the psalmist states, “if today you hear His voice harden not your hearts”. We have sinned – each of us going our own way. Yet we have the opportunity to repent and seek the mercy of God. Let us repent and turn from the wickedness that lies hidden in our hearts and listen again to the voice of the Lord. Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: How can I hear and listen to the voice of the Lord in my daily life. How does God speak to me?

Lord, touch my heart and mind that I might hear You. Help me to be attentive to the sound of Your voice, Amen.

St. Flora, virgin, pray for us.

----------------

1st READING

Baruch 1:15-22

We cannot go past the virtue of integrity in terms of something that is necessary for the Christian life. Baruch celebrates God’s integrity towards His promises and laments the inability of Israel to remain faithful to her commitment to God. This is what integrity is all about – remaining faithful to our promises and seeing to it that what we proclaim with our lips is the same as the way we live. Jesus is a perfect example of this. We should seek to follow Him and the path He lays out for us.

15 Justice is with the LORD, our God; and we today are flushed with shame, we men of Judah and citizens of Jerusalem, 16 that we, with our kings and rulers and priests and prophets, and with our fathers, 17 have sinned in the LORD’s sight 18 and disobeyed him. We have neither heeded the voice of the LORD, our God, nor followed the precepts which the LORD set before us. 19 From the time the LORD led our fathers out of the land of Egypt until the present day, we have been disobedient to the LORD, our God, and only too ready to disregard his voice. 20 And the evils and the curse which the LORD enjoined upon Moses, his servant, at the time he led our fathers forth from the land of Egypt to give us the land flowing with milk and honey, cling to us even today. 21 For we did not heed the voice of the LORD, our God, in all the words of the prophets whom he sent us, 22 but each one of us went off after the devices of our own wicked hearts, served other gods, and did evil in the sight of the LORD, our God.

P S A L M

Psalm 79:1-2, 3-5, 8, 9

R: For the glory of your name, O Lord, deliver us.

1 O God, the nations have come into your inheritance; they have defiled your holy temple, they have laid Jerusalem in ruins. 2 They have given the corpses of your servants as food to the birds of heaven, the flesh of your faithful ones to the beasts of the earth. (R) 3 They have poured out their blood like water round about Jerusalem, and there is no one to bury them. 4 We have become the reproach of our neighbors, the scorn and derision of those around us. 5 O LORD, how long? Will you be angry forever? Will your jealousy burn like fire? (R) 8 Remember not against us the iniquities of the past; may your compassion quickly come to us, for we are brought very low. (R) 9 Help us, O God our savior, because of the glory of your name; deliver us and pardon our sins for your name’s sake. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 10:13-16

The miracles that Jesus works in His ministry are the equal of anything that Israel has seen in the past and as such ought to be signs enough for them to believe in His word. However, many refuse to. Jesus challenges them to rethink their decision in terms of comparing what He has done with what the prophets did in the past. Perhaps then they might see the error of their ways and repent.

13 “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty deeds done in your midst had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would long ago have repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes. 14 But it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the judgment than for you. 15 And as for you, Capernaum, ‘Will you be exalted to heaven? You will go down to the netherworld. 16 Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.”

my reflections

think:

This is what integrity is all about – remaining faithful to our promises and seeing to it that what we proclaim with our lips is the same as the way we live.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR 1 Maccabees 10-13

October
Saturday

FOR CHILDREN ONLY

to the childlike... – Luke 10:21

My friend became very close to me because we’re of the same age group and the only males in our youth community. We fellowship a lot and one time while we were jogging, he just blurted out: “In the world, growth is attributed to adulthood. In Christian life it’s the other way around. In order to grow, you become more and more childlike.”

My friend was right. I believe that in heaven there will be a big signboard saying: “For children only; adults not allowed.” How is it to be childlike? First is Curiosity. Like a child we must never lose our sense of wonder and zeal to learn. Next is Humility. We should imitate children in Jewish families; although heirs to their fathers’ wealth, they’re willing to serve as fulltime servants. Next is Innocence. We should reject malice in our minds. Then, Lovingkindness. A teacher asked her class what lovingkindness meant.

A child answered, “When I’m hungry and you give me bread that’s kindness. But when you put jelly on it, that’s lovingkindness.” Finally, Dependence. Healthy dependence on God and fellow Christians will ensure faith and cooperation.

Well my friend is now a monk and I am now a lay evangelist. You will never know where childlikeness can lead you. Obet C.

REFLECTION:

Where do I need to improve in being childlike?

Niño Jesus, may we imitate You that we may grow in Holiness.

--------------

REJOICE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT

The disciples return with great news of the achievement and successes of their mission. They rejoice and desire to share with Jesus all that has happened. Jesus listens to the fervent notions and in joy turns the praise to His father in heaven. The joy of Jesus is that the will of the Father is made manifest. This is of course what Jesus has been sent to do –to make known the Father. All that Jesus does is motivated by this — that the Father is made known among all men. The experience of the Father is to be found only through revelation. The greatest and fullest revelation is Jesus. He exclaims, “No one knows who the Son is except the Father and who the Father is except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal Him”. This revelation comes through the action of the Holy Spirit. The means of this revelation comes through those moments of meditation and reflection in prayer, study of scripture and spiritual reading. In the person, life and ministry of Jesus we see the manifestation of the Father. Jesus, the church teaches, is the selfdisclosure of the Father.

There are many things we can rejoice in. It is good to rejoice in our success. It is good to rejoice in achievements that have been accomplished. It is good to rejoice when we are given a promotion, when we find employment, when we have our career mapped out for us. We rejoice at many moments in family life when things are doing fine.

There are so many things we can be grateful for. It is often a very good and valuable exercise to examine our conscience at the end of a day. Review the day as it was and give God thanks for the many blessings that have been bestowed on you throughout the day. It is amazing how God will continue to bless us. Often the blessings go un-noticed because our lives can be so busy and active throughout the day.

Let us take up the attitude of Jesus in giving praise to the Father. We need not rejoice because demons submit to the name of Jesus but we rejoice because our names are written in heaven. We are a privileged people. The gift of faith has been entrusted to us and has with its own demands and responsibilities. We are to be like good stewards of the gifts that God has given to us.

How often do we take such gifts for granted? Salvation is intended for us. Jesus has come to lead us to the Father. We submit ourselves to Him who has loved us and washed away our sins with His blood. Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: Do I give praise to the Father in good times and in bad?

Lord I believe in You. Thank You for revealing Your self to me through the grace and mercy of Your Son, Jesus. Amen

St. Magnus, bishop, pray for us.

-----------

1st READING

Baruch 4:5-12.27-29

Baruch encourages the people to take heart and to trust that God will deliver them once again from their enemies. They have only to remember the way that God has never abandoned them in the past in order to draw strength and hope for the present and future. It is this foundation of faithfulness that Jesus will build upon when he proclaims the Gospel some 500 years later.

5 Fear not, my people! Remember, Israel, 6 You were sold to the nations not for your destruction; it was because you angered God that you were handed over to your foes. 7 For you provoked your Maker with sacrifices to demons, to no-gods; 8 you forsook the Eternal God who nourished you, and you grieved Jerusalem who fostered you. 9 She indeed saw coming upon you the anger of God; and she said: “Hear, you neighbors of Zion! God has brought great mourning upon me, 10 for I have seen the captivity that the Eternal God has brought upon my sons and daughters. 11 With joy I fostered them; but with mourning and lament I let them go. 12 Let no one gloat over me, a widow, bereft of many: For the sins of my children I am left desolate, because they turned from the law of God. 27 Fear not, my children; call out to God! He who brought this upon you will remember you. 28 As your hearts have been disposed to stray from God, turn now ten times the more to seek him; 29 for he who has brought disaster upon you will, in saving you, bring you back enduring joy.”

P S A L M

Psalm 69:33-35, 36-37

R: The Lord listens to the poor.

32 [33] “See, you lowly ones, and be glad; you who seek God, may your hearts be revived! 33 [34] For the LORD hears the poor, and his own who are in bonds he spurns not. 34 [35] Let the heavens and the earth praise him, the seas and whatever moves in them!” (R) 35 [36] For God will save Zion and rebuild the cities of Judah. They shall dwell in the land and own it, 36 [37] and the descendants of his servants shall inherit it, and those who love his name shall inhabit it. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 10:17-24

Jesus reminds the disciples not to focus upon what they have been witness to as this was all the power of God at work through them. Rather, they should rejoice first that they have been welcomed into the Kingdom of God. It is this that will form the basis for the rest of their lives. The wonders they have experienced will be there sometimes and absent at others. They cannot build their faith life upon them! It is the truth that they have been reconciled with God that will underpin the rest of their lives. Let us rejoice in this and make God’s love for us our focal point.

17 The seventy-two returned rejoicing, and said,“Lord, even the demons are subject to us because of your name.” 18 Jesus said, “I have observed Satan fall like lightning from the sky. 19 Behold, I have given you the power ‘to tread upon serpents’ and scorpions and upon the full force of the enemy and nothing will harm you. 20 Nevertheless, do not rejoice because the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice because your names are written in heaven.” 21 At that very moment he rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, “I give you praise, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike. Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will. 22 All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him.” 23 Turning to the disciples in private he said, “Blessed are the eyes that see what you see. 24 For I say to you, many prophets and kings desired to see what you see, but did not see it, and to hear what you hear, but did not hear it.”

my reflections

think:

Let us make God’s love for us our focal point.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR 1 Maccabees 14-16

Each Sunday is a Mini-Easter. Show that Jesus is alive today!

October
Sunday

JUST-TIIS!

“We have done what we were obliged to do.” – Luke 17:10

It’s not easy to be a government hospital nurse in the Philippines. In the US, the ratio of nurses to patients is 1:2. Here, it’s 1:20 during regular days and 1:60 during “toxic” seasons. No wonder our nurses go abroad and enjoy oodles of money. How about nurses who want to stay? What can be their motivation? Maslow’s hierarchy of needs enumerates: 1. physiological needs, 2. security needs 3. esteem needs and 4. self actualization. This theory advocates that one need has to be satisfied first then another need arises until one reaches the utmost – full use of their potential: self-actualization.

In the Kingdom of God it’s different.

Missionaries, volunteers and public servants, continue to serve, although deprived of physiological and other needs. They selfactualize. I’m not saying that I’ve no plans of going abroad. I’m open to the will of God. The point is that I don’t want to lose the grace and virtue that struggles have taught me. It’s the power to endure and persevere. They said that in our country, there’s no more justice. During absence of justice, we, God’s servants can just-tiis – we can endure! Are you willing? Joie C.

REFLECTION:

Trials are difficult teachers. They give the tests firsts and the lesson afterward. Have you learned yours?

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Phil.4:13)

--------------

SERVE ONE ANOTHER IN LOVE

A common feature still found in many cultures today is that of the role of the servant. They are to help the family in whatever assistance is needed through various duties around the house. The servant is part of the family, not an addition. They are welcomed into the family as one of their own. A servant is not a slave but is of valuable assistance to those who are members within the household.

In the Gospel of John, there is a touching scene whereby Jesus at the last supper stoops down to wash the feet of the disciples. We are all familiar with the bumbling response of Peter. We notice the fraternal love of Jesus who approaches Peter to wash his feet. The Master teaches His disciples the way of love through loving service. The washing of the feet was the role the slave would attend towards the one returning from a journey. Jesus leads by example. We are to be servants of one another. The scene is a perfect summary of the whole story of Jesus who always is for the other. Jesus Himself stated that the Son of Man came to not to be served but to serve and give His life as a ransom for many. Right up to the very end of Jesus’ life, even His death on the Cross, Jesus always thought of the other person, a great act of love does He leave us all to follow.

The parable in today’s gospel illustrates to us the responsibility in our lives as servants of God. The servant fulfills his role well when he remains faithful to what he is asked from him. The servant is not a slave because he knows his masters business; but he is invited to be friend. All are called to be servants of the Lord. We are His friends and He invites us into the circle of his family. We are His brothers and sisters and we now have access to God whom we can invoke as Father. What a wonderful thing it would be if we were to hear from the lips of Jesus when we do meet him, “Well done, good and faithful servant receive the reward that has awaited you since the beginning of time.” As servants we are all to be good stewards of all God have given us. All that we have is of God. All is grace and gift. We can boast of nothing but we can boast in a God who loves us and calls us to serve him in faithfulness and love. Let our response be as the servant of the household that we hear in the Gospel today: “We are unprofitable servants; we have done what we were obliged to do.” Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: Where is the Lord calling us to serve him? Where can we exercise the act of service in our daily lives?

Lord I am Your servant. As Mary prayed so do I repeat those same words, “Be it done unto me according to Your will”. Amen.

St. Justina of Padua, martyr, pray for us.

----------------

1st READING

Habakkuk 1:2-3; 2:2-4

More important than writing down the vision of the Lord for humanity today is people willing to live that vision. The vision is already written down and has been for centuries. Yes, we need to apply it to the modern generation but this does not change the essence of the Gospel! Truth is still truth and the moral life still embraces the same fundamental principles of the years gone past. Let us intercede for more men and women to truly live this life to the full in answer to God’s call.

2 How long, O LORD? I cry for help but you do not listen! I cry out to you, “Violence!” but you do not intervene. 3 Why do you let me see ruin; why must I look at misery? Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and clamorous discord. 2: 2 Then the LORD answered me and said: Write down the vision clearly upon the tablets, so that one can read it readily. 3 For the vision still has its time, presses on to fulfillment, and will not disappoint; if it delays, wait for it, it will surely come, it will not be late. 4 The rash man has no integrity; but the just man, because of his faith, shall live.

P S A L M

Psalm 95:1-2, 6-7, 8-9

R: If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

1 Come, let us sing joyfully to the LORD; let us acclaim the Rock of our salvation. 2 Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us joyfully sing psalm to him. (R) 6 Come, let us bow down in worship; let us kneel before the LORD who made us. 7 For he is our God, and we are the people he shepherds, the flock he guides. (R) Oh, that today you would hear his voice: 8 “Harden not your hearts as at Meribah, as in the day of Massah in the desert, 9 where your fathers tempted me; they tested me though they had seen my works” (R)

2nd READING

2 Timothy 1:6-8.13-14

Paul exhorts Timothy to remember that God has anointed him with the power of the Holy Spirit. The same is true of you and me. We have each received the power of the Spirit to live the Christian life to the full. Let us do exactly that so that our lives will be an attractive witness and alternative to those who are caught up in the merry-go-round of the world’s values and want to get off! We have a duty to our fellow human beings to do this and also a duty to ourselves and God to be faithful to the gift of new life that He has given to us.

6 I remind you to stir into flame the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands. 7 For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control. 8 So do not be ashamed of your testimony to our Lord, nor of me, a prisoner for his sake; but bear your share of hardship for the gospel with the strength that comes from God. 13 Take as your norm the sound words that you heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 14 Guard this rich trust with the help of the holy Spirit that dwells within us.

G O S P E L

Luke 17:5-10

Jesus does not mean to imply that we are only servile members of God’s Kingdom. He is simply trying to emphasize the truth that God’s will and authority is greater than our own. He then ties this truth into an understanding of faith whereby we can gain access to the power and authority of God through faith in Him and living according to His will. The exercising of our faith is similar to the exercising of authority in that if we believe in what we are saying, more people are likely to follow our commands than if we show hesitation or doubt when we give them.

5 And the apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith.” 6 The Lord replied, “If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you would say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you. 7 Who among you would say to your servant who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field, ‘Come here immediately and take your place at table’? 8 Would he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare something for me to eat. Put on your apron and wait on me while I eat and drink. You may eat and drink when I am finished’? 9 Is he grateful to that servant because he did what was commanded? 10 So should it be with you. When you have done all you have been commanded, say, ‘We are unprofitable servants; we have done what we were obliged to do.’

my reflections

think: We have each received the power of the Spirit to live the Christian life to the full.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR 2 Maccabees 1-3

SABBATH PAUSE

My weekly time with God

THANK YOU LIST

Things to be grateful for from the past week

SPECIAL NEEDS

Things to ask God for in the coming week

HIDDEN TREASURE

Most important word God told me this week

8 October
Monday TODAY'S READINGS:

INTERRUPTIONS!

And who is my neighbor... – Luke 10:29

We are not bad people. We are just BUSY! You have to know though what life has been teaching us: Busyness is the death of kindness. The Scripture reading said that the priest “happened to be going down the same road.” God’s will comes to us often in the form of interruptions.

Many are emotionally beaten and spiritually wounded. We just don’t recognize them. Remember, the Samaritan only gave what he had at that moment. We may not have a lot of things, but all of us have time. We all have the “special” abilities to put the newspaper down and embrace the kids, to stare into our wives’ eyes when they tell a story, to dial the phone and say hi to Dad, to smile at a coworker, to encourage a brother, to listen to a friend. These can be the healing balm for the beaten up souls God puts on our way.

One early Christian writer, Jean-Pierre de Caussade, said, “Love is the duty of the present moment.” We ask, “Lord, who is my neighbor?” Jesus replies, “The person in need I’m sending your way.” Jon E.

REFLECTION:

Do you have interruptions today? What is his or her name?

Lord, please save me from the trap of busyness. Help me see interruptions as opportunities to love. Amen.

--------------------

AN OBEDIENT AND WILLING HEART

The story of Jonah is about a prophet who at first is quite hesitant to carry out the mission he was sent to do. He is asked to go and preach to the great city of Nineveh. Nineveh was the capital of the Assyrian empire. The people of Nineveh was proud of their success and turned against the God who has won victory for them in their battles. People began to plot against the Lord, reveled in cruelty and plunder, took part in pagan rituals such as prostitution and witchcraft.

Jonah did not want any part of this and decided to escape to Tarshish – the other side of the world – to escape God, hoping that God will not find him. He boarded a ship and one can almost him hear breathe a sigh of relief. Suddenly there was a violent storm, winds hurl against the ship and the whole crew panicked. Cargo was thrown overboard as an attempt to better maneuver the ship. The people call upon their pagan gods for their safety. Jonah too, is requested to call upon his God. Lots were cast (a customary ritual) so as to expose the guilty one for this terrible upheaval. The lots fell on Jonah. Against their wishes Jonah is thrown overboard. The people are saved as the storm disappears and Jonah is saved by the fish.

Have you ever been in a situation similar to Jonah? Perhaps you too have been prompted by the Spirit to act, speak in a given circumstance. Perhaps fear has got the better of you and you too, like Jonah run and hide. It is amazing how we can be paralyzed by fear. Do you notice that doubts settle in and you feel so vulnerable? We feel if we go and hide God will forget that we exist. We hope someone else can fulfill the role God asks from us, but God will find us. He will continue to seek and find you because He loves you and trusts in you.

Like Jonah we are called to be obedient. The Lord will expect much from us if we truly dedicate ourselves to his causes. There will be many opportunities where we will have to give an answer for our faith. When that time comes the call for us is to remain faithful and obedient. We are to be willing to cooperate with God, whatever He asks of us. It will not be difficult for us because our God will give us the grace that is necessary to carry out what He asks from us. God loves us and by this love, we are to respond also with love. God deserves our love and obedience. Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: Reflect on the times when we have heard the call of God to act in a particular situation. How have we responded? What is it that we hide from?

Lord, here I am I come to do Your will. Help me to no longer hide from You. Fill me with your love and grant me a heart willing to obey You. Amen.

St. Nestor, martyr, pray for us.

---------------------

1st READING

Jonah 1:1—2:1, 11

I think I can sympathize with Jonah as I can remember times when I did not want to do what the Lord was asking me to do. Here is the real message of the story: even though Jonah tries to run away from God, God finds him and in the end Jonah does what God wants him to do! It seems that there are times that God’s will is done in our lives despite our desire to run away. Yet when we reflect upon the event, we know that we have not been forced to act against our will!

1 This is the word of the LORD that came to Jonah, son of Amittai: 2 “Set out for the great city of Nineveh, and preach against it; their wickedness has come up before me.” 3 But Jonah made ready to flee to Tarshish away from the LORD. He went down to Joppa, found a ship going to Tarshish, paid the fare, and went aboard to journey with them to Tarshish, away from the LORD. 4 The LORD, however, hurled a violent wind upon the sea, and in the furious tempest that arose the ship was on the point of breaking up. 5 Then the mariners became frightened and each one cried to his god. To lighten the ship for themselves, they threw its cargo into the sea. Meanwhile, Jonah had gone down into the hold of the ship, and lay there fast asleep. 6 The captain came to him and said, “What are you doing asleep? Rise up, call upon your God! Perhaps God will be mindful of us so that we may not perish.” 7 Then they said to one another, “Come, let us cast lots to find out on whose account we have met with this misfortune.” So they cast lots, and thus singled out Jonah. 8 “Tell us,” they said, “what is your business? Where do you come from? What is your country, and to what people do you belong?” 9 “I am a Hebrew,” Jonah answered them; “I worship the LORD, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land.” 10 Now the men were seized with great fear and said to him, “How could you do such a thing!” — They knew that he was fleeing from the LORD, because he had told them — 11 “What shall we do with you,” they asked, “that the sea may quiet down for us?” For the sea was growing more and more turbulent. 12 Jonah said to them, “Pick me up and throw me into the sea, that it may quiet down for you; since I know it is because of me that this violent storm has come upon you.” 13 Still the men rowed hard to regain the land, but they could not, for the sea grew ever more turbulent. 14 Then they cried to the LORD: “We beseech you, O LORD, let us not perish for taking this man’s life; do not charge us with shedding innocent blood, for you, LORD, have done as you saw fit.” 15 Then they took Jonah and threw him into the sea, and the sea’s raging abated. 16 Struck with great fear of the LORD, the men offered sacrifice and made vows to him. 2: 1 But the Lord sent a large fish, that swallowed Jonah; and he remained in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. 11 Then the LORD commanded the fish to spew Jonah upon the shore.

P S A L M

Jonah 2:3, 4, 5, 8

R: You will rescue my life from the pit, O Lord.

3 Out of my distress I called to the LORD, and he answered me; From the midst of the nether world I cried for help, and you

heard my voice. (R) 4 For you cast me into the deep, into the heart of the sea, and the flood enveloped me; All your breakers and your billows passed over me. (R) 5 Then I said, “I am banished from your sight! yet would I again look upon your holy temple.” (R) 8 When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the LORD; My prayer reached you in your holy temple. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 10:25-37

Once again we see that words are not enough. It is not enough to be able to say that we love one another; we must be willing to turn our words of love into concrete actions. The Samaritan in this parable demonstrates a far greater love for God than the priest or Levite. We all know that we cannot love God without loving our neighbor and vice versa.

25 There was a scholar of the law who stood up to test him and said, “Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 26 Jesus said to him, “What is written in the law? How do you read it?” 27 He said in reply, “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your being, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” 28 He replied to him, “You have answered correctly; do this and you will live.” 29 But because he wished to justify himself, he said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?” 30 Jesus replied, “A man fell victim to robbers as he went down from Jerusalem to Jericho. They stripped and beat him and went off leaving him half-dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down that road, but when he saw him, he passed by on the opposite side. 32 Likewise a Levite came to the place, and when he saw him, he passed by on the opposite side. 33 But a Samaritan traveler who came upon him was moved with compassion at the sight. 34 He approached the victim, poured oil and wine over his wounds and bandaged them. Then he lifted him up on his own animal, took him to an inn and cared for him. 35 The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper with the instruction, ‘Take care of him. If you spend more than what I have given you, I shall repay you on my way back.’ 36 “Which of these three, in your opinion, was neighbor to the robbers’ victim?” 37 He answered, “The one who treated him with mercy.” Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”

my reflections

think:

We all know that we cannot love God without loving our neighbor.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR 2 Maccabees 4-6

GETTING TO KNOW THE SAINTS

Saint Mary Faustina

Mary Faustina, or Helen, was born in Glogowiec, Poland on August 25, 1905. She was the third of 10 children of a poor, religious family. In her youth, Helen displayed her love of prayer, work, obedience and sensitivity to the poor. She wanted to enter the convent but her parents would not allow her.

On August 1, 1925, Helen finally joined the Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy and took the name Mary Faustina. She developed within her the childlike trust in God and of mercy towards her neighbor. A devout to the Mother of Mercy, the nun wanted to reflect the Lord s mercy in saving souls.

The Lord blessed Sister Faustina with the gifts of reading human souls, visions, prophecy, revelations, bilocation, participation in the Passion of the Lord through stigmata, and the mystical espousal and marriage. Through her He wanted people to know of His love and mercy. He wanted Sister Faustina : (1) to remind the people about the truth of God s love through the Blessed Scripture, (2) to intercede God s mercy by practicing devotion to the Divine Mercy, and (3) to begin the apostolic movement of the Divine Mercy.

Sister Faustina died at the age of 33 in Krakow on October 5, 1938. She was declared Blessed by Pope John Paul II on April 18, 1993.

http://treasuresofgrace.com/catholic/faust.htm

Saints Vitalis and Agricola

Vitalis was a slave and Agricola was his master. Both were martyred under Diocletian at Bologna in c.304.

Agricola was a Christian, active in the evangelization. He actually encouraged the conversion of his slave Vitalis. During their martyrdom, Vitalis never ceased to praise God. This inspired Agricola to endure his own torture of crucifixion. His body was pierced with a number of huge nails.

The bodies of Saints Vitalis and Agricola were laid in the Jewish cemetery.

http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/1104.htm#fran

Saint Herculanus of Perugia

Herculanus was bishop of Perugia in the sixth century. In c.549, he was arrested by the Ostro-Goths under King Totila. While held, a thin slice of the bishop s skin on every part of his body was pulled off. This burdened his own pagan executioner who hastened the end of his suffering by beheading the man.

http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/1107.htm#fran

October
Tuesday

MARTHA A.K.A. JUVY

“Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things.” – Luke 10:41

Most of our helpers are given the title “angel,” why? Because these angels do most of the jobs in our homes. They clean our house, watch over our children, help cook our food, go to market, pay our bills and sometimes they even help the kids with their homework.

Juvy is my angel! She is my Martha. Call her heaven-sent. She came at the time when Jon and I were so desperately in need of a good helper. After two years of searching, a series of turn-overs and overnight temps, finally God heard our prayers.

This is her seventh year with us. And last 2005 we were able to convince her to be baptized Catholic! Juvy, how can I say thank you? Without you around I cannot do the “works.”

Let us give a round of applause and honor all the “Juvy’s” in our respective homes. Let us thank them for allowing us to be “Mary.” Let us show them our love and care in return.

Truly they are a blessing from heaven. . Marissa E.

REFLECTION:

Have you decided to give up the “Martha” in you?

Lord, grant me the grace to be Mary today, tomorrow and the days to come. May I learn to slow down to hear You when you visit me.

--------------

A GOD OF SECOND CHANCES

Our God is a God of second chances. By this I mean that God never gives up on us. Too often we experience that others may give up on us, but God is constant in His affection and faithfulness towards us. We are always given new opportunities to act and show our love for Him. How many times have we regretted our lack of faith or our inability to accomplish what has been asked of us by God? We kick ourselves and often think how we can make it up for God. We feel that we have missed the score that God will no longer bother with us because of our unfaithfulness.

In today’s first reading we see that Jonah is given another chance to go to Nineveh. “The word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time.” As if God is saying, “just in case you didn’t get it the first time, here goes again.” Jonah need not fear for the Lord is with him. He will tell Jonah what to say — “announce the message that I will tell you.” Notice the reaction of the people of Nineveh. To the amazement of Jonah the people repent and turn from their ways. They proclaim a fast and put on sackcloth (a ritual depicting repentance). Can you imagine the look on the face of Jonah as he witnesses before his very eyes the king summoning the people to repent and make amends for their wickedness?

Isn’t it a wonderful thing to be faithful to the Lord? The Lord will certainly act if we are faithful to Him. We are not alone, God is with us always. God alone provides. All good things come to those who wait upon the Lord. God will see His plan through. Often we complain of our inadequacies and bargain with God that He has chosen the wrong person for the job. God understands us and He desires to help us.

Through the willingness of Jonah to cooperate with the plan of God to reach the Ninevites, the people are spared. God sees by their actions their willingness to turn from their evil ways. They are no longer in danger but have found favor with God once again. Let us take up the example of the people of Nineveh, to repent and turn again to the Lord. Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: What are the ways in which we need to repent? How can we show to God that we are sorry and make amends for the wrong committed.

Lord, use me as You will. Let me be Your servant and give me Your grace to carry out Your will in my life. Amen.

St. Sabinus, hermit, pray for us.

--------------

1st READING

Jonah 3:1-10

Jonah eventually makes it to Nineveh and is obedient to God’s original command. Just as Jonah feared, the people heed his warning and repent; thus the Lord relents and does not destroy the city. This ought to be cause for great rejoicing in Jonah but instead he becomes angry with God for making him look like a fool. We must all be prepared to be like fools if it will serve the proclamation of the Gospel. The only real fool is the one who disobeys God’s word!

1 The word of the LORD came to Jonah a second time: 2 “Set out for the great city of Nineveh, and announce to it the message that I will tell you.” 3 So Jonah made ready and went to Nineveh, according to the LORD’s bidding. Now Nineveh was an enormously large city; it took three days to go through it. 4 Jonah began his journey through the city, and had gone but a single day’s walk announcing, “Forty days more and Nineveh shall be destroyed,” 5 when the people of Nineveh believed God; they proclaimed a fast and all of them, great and small, put on sackcloth. 6 When the news reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, laid aside his robe, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in the ashes. 7 Then he had this proclaimed throughout Nineveh, by decree of the king and his nobles: “Neither man nor beast, neither cattle nor sheep, shall taste anything; they shall not eat, nor shall they drink water. 8 Man and beast shall be covered with sackcloth and call loudly to God; every man shall turn from his evil way and from the violence he has in hand. 9 Who knows, God may relent and forgive, and withhold his blazing wrath, so that we shall not perish.” 10 When God saw by their actions how they turned from their evil way, he repented of the evil that he had threatened to do to them; he did not carry it out.

P S A L M

Psalm 130:1-2, 3-4, 7-8

R: If you, O Lord, mark iniquities, who can stand?

1 Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD; Lord, hear my voice! 2 Let your ears be attentive to my voice in supplication. (R) 3 If you, O LORD, mark iniquities, LORD, who can stand? 4 But with you is forgiveness, that you may be revered. (R) 7 Let Israel wait for the LORD, for with the LORD is kindness and with him is plenteous redemption; 8 and he will redeem Israel from all their iniquities. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 10:38-42

This is an often talked about piece of Scripture in terms of whether we should sit and listen to God, or get up and serve those around us. The correct answer is that we need to do both! There are times for reflection and prayer and these may never be neglected if we want to have a healthy relationship with God; there are times for service and work and these two are necessary if the Gospel is going to be proclaimed to the ends of the earth. It is simply a matter of discerning the time and place for each of them in our lives.

38 As they continued their journey he entered a village where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him. 39 She had a sister named Mary [who] sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak. 40 Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving? Tell her to help me.” 41 The Lord said to her in reply, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. 42 There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her.”

my reflections

think:

The only real fool is the one who disobeys God’s word! We should sit and listen to God, or get up and serve those around us.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR 2 Maccabees 7-9

October
Wednesday

CATHOLIC PRAYERS

“Lord, teach us to pray…” – Luke 11: 1

I always encourage others to do personal prayers – spontaneous, true, and from the heart.

But I never stopped praying common Catholic prayers: the chaplet to the Divine Mercy, the Memorare, Prayer to St. Michael, Prayer of St. Francis... and of course, the Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be and the Apostle’s Creed.

I recite these prayers because most of the time I pray with my son, and we can’t be praying differently together, although in the end, we do our personal prayers. I also recite these prayers at Mass, during prayer meetings and in community gatherings. Again, for practical reasons, we can not always be praying altogether in tongues. Neither can we all pray personal prayers one by one lest we end up at dawn.

But for a deeper reason, I pray common Catholic prayers because they are beautiful prayers the Church taught me. The Our Father is a prayer Jesus himself taught.

I love praying the Our Father over and over again. I love praying common Catholic prayers over and over again. Because like my personal prayers, these prayers can truly come from the heart.

Let’s pray. Alvin B.

REFLECTION:

Have your common prayers been as personal as your own personal prayers? Or have they become mechanical and simply recited by memory?

Lord, thank You for teaching us to pray. Our Father in heaven, holy be Your name…

--------

A MERCIFUL AND LOVING GOD

There is something that rises within us when we see that justice is not carried out. Sometimes it can be born from a negative reaction on our part. For example, someone has cheated us or we have been offended by what another has done to us. We notice a hidden evil within that is ready to manifest in one way or another if it is ever given the chance. The name that we can give to this evil hidden in our hearts is revenge.

In the New Testament Jesus teaches His disciples about the evil of revenge. He teaches His disciples to turn the other cheek and to love our enemies, those that commit wrong towards us. Just like His disciples, Jesus also challenges us to heed his teachings on revenge. The heart can be a devious thing as Jeremiah prophesies. Outwardly we may seem very forgiving and ready to excuse but underneath there can be another force fanning the fire of revenge. It’s as if we say, “One day you’re going to get it, just you wait.”

God taught Jonah an important lesson. Rather than rejoicing at what God has achieved with the Ninevites, that is their repentance, Jonah is “greatly displeased and angry that God did not carry out the evil He threatened against Nineveh”. In a humorous touch the Lord dialogues with this sullen character. “Have you any reason to be angry?” God tries to reason with Jonah. God seeks to remedy Jonah’s anger by allowing a castor plant to sprout and bring comfort to the prophet. Jonah is happy and is relieved at the comfort the plant brings him. Gods allows the plant to be attacked by a worm so that at dawn the scorching heat again brings discomfort. The cycle begins again. Jonah is angry at God, at the Ninevites and at life, perhaps fostering still the evil revenge he has stored within his heart. In a beautiful end to the story God reasons again with the prophet. God reminds the prophet that it is He alone who provides all things; He has also provided a way out for the people of Nineveh because of His compassionate concern for all peoples. It is a powerful story of the benevolent love and compassion of God. Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: Like Jonah, do we also seek revenge on people who have hurt us in the past or even at this present time? Do we need to seek pardon from God? What is the evil that can often lie hidden in our hearts?

God our Father, You are compassionate and loving in all Your ways. I forgive those who have sinned against me. Let me no longer hold this sin against them. Help me to forgive as You have forgiven me. Amen.

St. Daniel, martyr, pray for us.

------------

1st READING

Jonah 4:1-11

Jonah now tests the patience of God and God challenges him as to who he thinks he is to determine whether or not He, God, should have destroyed Nineveh or spared the city. God is the Creator of all and it is in His hands that the destiny of all things is held. Jonah is merely an instrument, just like us. Yes we have been given a certain dignity in Creation; however, the will of God still remains beyond our full comprehension. We must learn to humble our minds before the wisdom of God.

1 This was greatly displeasing to Jonah, and he became angry. 2 “I beseech you, LORD,” he prayed, “is not this what I said while I was still in my own country? This is why I fled at first to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and merciful God, slow to anger, rich in clemency, loathe to punish. 3 And now, LORD, please take my life from me; for it is better for me to die than to live.” 4 But the LORD asked, “Have you reason to be angry?” 5 Jonah then left the city for a place to the east of it, where he built himself a hut and waited under it in the shade, to see what would happen to the city. 6 And when the LORD God provided a gourd plant, that grew up over Jonah’s head, giving shade that relieved him of any discomfort, Jonah was very happy over the plant. 7 But the next morning at dawn God sent a worm which attacked the plant, so that it withered. 8 And when the sun arose, God sent a burning east wind; and the sun beat upon Jonah’s head till he became faint. Then he asked for death, saying, “I would be better off dead than alive.” 9 But God said to Jonah, “Have you reason to be angry over the plant?” “I have reason to be angry,” Jonah answered, “angry enough to die.” 10 Then the LORD said, “You are concerned over the plant which cost you no labor and which you did not raise; it came up in one night and in one night it perished. 11 And should I not be concerned over Nineveh, the great city, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand persons who cannot distinguish their right hand from their left, not to mention the many cattle?”

P S A L M

Psalm 86:3-4, 5-6, 9-10

R: Lord, you are merciful and gracious.

3 Have mercy on me, O Lord, for to you I call all the day. 4 Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. (R) 5 For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in kindness to all who call upon you. 6 Hearken, O LORD, to my prayer and attend to the sound of my pleading. (R) 9 All the nations you have made shall come and worship you, O Lord, and glorify your name. 10 For you are great, and you do wondrous deeds; you alone are God. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 11:1-4

Jesus teaches His disciples to pray. Prayer is essential for a healthy relationship with God. We cannot hope to remain in good terms with God if we neglect to pray. Sometimes prayer is a wonderful experience; at other times it seems to be a waste of time! This is simply the way of life. We have to learn to persevere and trust this even when it seems God is distant and does nothing, this is the time when He is probably working some sort of miracle deep in our hearts that will only come to the fore in the future!

1 He was praying in a certain place, and when he had finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray just as John taught his disciples.” 2 He said to them, “When you pray, say: Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come. 3 Give us each day our daily bread 4 and forgive us our sins for we ourselves forgive everyone in debt to us, and do not subject us to the final test.”

my reflections

think: We have to learn to persevere and trust in prayer even when it seems God is distant and does nothing, this is the time when He is probably working some sort of miracle deep in our hearts that will only come to the fore in the future!

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR 2 Maccabees 10-12

October
Thursday

REAL FRIENDS

“Suppose one of you has a friend to whom he goes at midnight.” – Luke 11:5

My friend Reggie lives in LA now. We’ve been the best of friends since right after college, have seen the toughest fights, have been through the best and the worst.

I get the weirdest texts from her sometimes. Texts like,“What is the word whose root origin is the Latin for “to put” and means to compete against?”

I text back,“OPPOSE.”

Then the next text is “What is the word whose root origin is the Latin for “to put” and means to conjecture.

I answer back, “SUPPOSE.”

Now, given the time difference between Manila and LA, these texts come in at the oddest hours. Like 2 or 3 am. Wabby, another friend at whose house I was staying over, having been awakened by the text tone, asked irritably, “What is she doing?” I said, “Probably answering a crossword puzzle.”

And Wabs said, “I don’t know who’s the greater fool. Reggie for not just buying a dictionary or you for answering.”

You don’t disturb people at midnight for the most trivial reasons unless they’re real friends. Aren’t you glad that the Lord answers us even when the timing isn’t convenient? Victoria L.

REFLECTION:

In what way are you being a real friend to other people?

Thank You, Father, for always knowing what the best answer to my prayer is.

------------

ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE

We can approach God with confidence and with a sense of boldness as He is our Father who provides for us and in fact anticipates our every need. Jesus teaches us that we are to seek God as Father and expect that He will answer us in our times of need.

In today’s Gospel Jesus uses the analogy of a friend who is in need. The friend seeks help and assistance from one whom he knows He can trust. Even though the friend is well in for the night, (the door is locked and he is in bed), Jesus states that persistence will win him over in the end. We too are to be persistent. Jesus states the promise. “For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened”.

The Father is the Giver of all gifts. He has given his Son who has loved us and given himself for us. The Father gives us forgiveness of sins for the Son of Man has washed away sins with His blood. The Father gives us life and love. Jesus has come to give us life and to give it abundantly. The Father gives us family, employment, and other provisions in our daily life. The Father is constant in His giving, and Jesus is for us the generosity of the Father. The Father has given us all things that are good; the Father has given us the Holy Spirit, the first of all gifts. All that we need and we possess are given us by the Father of all gifts. As James writes to his community, “Every good endowment and every perfect gift from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change”.

We all know the joy one experiences when giving gifts to those we are familiar with. Whether it be birthday, anniversary or some other celebration, it is customary for us to give a gift to show our appreciation and affection towards the recipient. Jesus tells us in today’s Gospel how much more the Father in heaven will give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him. We thank the Father for all His gifts to us. Just as we delight in the appreciation one shows in a gift given, so too it delights the Father to give. We need only receive with humble and grateful hearts. Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: Reflect on the many gifts God has given you, spiritually and materially. Where can you see in your life that you can give to others? Remember freely we have received, freely we too must give.

Thank You Father for the gift of Your Spirit in my life. You are the Giver of all gifts. Help me to appreciate and not take for granted the gifts You have given. As You have given to me so much may I also learn to be a giver. Amen.

St. Kenneth, monk, pray for us.

------------

1st READING

Malachi 3:13-20

Our life is one long purifying experience. God is at work within us to purify us from sin so we will be prepared to spend eternity with Him. We can cooperate with this process or we can work against it. The choice is yours and mine. The problem is that if we choose not to cooperate with God, where will that leave us when it comes to Judgment Day? I think I will choose to let God do what he wants to do in my life.

13 You have defied me in word, says the LORD, yet you ask, “What have we spoken against you?” 14 You have said, “It is vain to serve God, and what do we profit by keeping his command, and going about in penitential dress in awe of the LORD of hosts? 15 Rather must we call the proud blessed; for indeed evildoers prosper, and even tempt God with impunity.” 16 Then they who fear the LORD spoke with one another, and the LORD listened attentively; and a record book was written before him of those who fear the LORD and trust in his name. 17 And they shall be mine, says the LORD of hosts, my own special possession, on the day I take action. And I will have compassion on them, as a man has compassion on his son who serves him. 18 Then you will again see the distinction between the just and the wicked; between him who serves God, and him who does not serve him. 19 For lo, the day is coming, blazing like an oven, when all the proud and all evildoers will be stubble, and the day that is coming will set them on fire, leaving them neither root nor branch, says the LORD of hosts. 20 But for you who fear my name, there will arise the sun of justice with its healing rays.

P S A L M

Psalm 1:1-2, 3, 4, 6

R: Blessed are they who hope in the Lord.

1 Blessed the man who follows not the counsel of the wicked nor walks in the way of sinners, nor sits in the company of the insolent, 2 but delights in the law of the LORD and meditates on his law day and night. (R) 3 He is like a tree planted near running water, that yields its fruit in due season, and whose leaves never fade. Whatever he does, prospers. (R) 4 Not so the wicked, not so; they are like chaff which the wind drives away. 6 For the LORD watches over the way of the just, but the way of the wicked vanishes. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 11:5-13

We know how we give good things to the people whom we love and how sometimes we will even give good things to people whom we do not even know! Jesus argues that if this is how we as sinful human beings act, then how much more is God going to be willing to give the Holy Spirit to those who ask for it! This is a pretty convincing argument in my mind so I think I will put it to the test and request the help of the Holy Spirit every time I need Him.

5 And he said to them,“Suppose one of you has a friend to whom he goes at midnight and says,‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, ‘6 for a friend of mine has arrived at my house from a journey and I have nothing to offer him,’ 7 and he says in reply from within, ‘Do not bother me; the door has already been locked and my children and I are already in bed. I cannot get up to give you anything.’ 8 I tell you, if he does not get up to give him the loaves because of their friendship, he will get up to give him whatever he needs because of his persistence.” 9 “And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. 11 What father among you would hand his son a snake when he asks for a fish? 12 Or hand him a scorpion when he asks for an egg? 13 If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father in heaven give the holy Spirit to those who ask him?”

my reflections

think: Our life is one long purifying experience.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR 2 Maccabees 13-15

If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father in heaven give the holy Spirit to those who ask him?�

i do always remember thi phrase but sometimes bcoz we are imperfect..in times of troubles..we lose our faith..but thanks God..im still with HIM

thanks for sharing..muah

Which Way Am I Growing?
READ: Galatians 6:7-10

Whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. —Galatians 6:7

Some folks grow old gracefully, while others become grouchy and ill-tempered. It’s important to know which way we’re growing, because we’re all growing older.

People don’t get irritable and short-tempered merely because they’re getting older. Aging doesn’t have to make us hypercritical and cranky. No, it’s more likely that we’ve become what we’ve been becoming all along.

Paul wrote: “He who sows to his flesh will . . . reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will . . . reap everlasting life” (Gal. 6:8). Those who pander to self-interest and think only of themselves are sowing seeds that will produce a harvest of misery in themselves and in others. On the other hand, those who love God and care for others are sowing seeds that, in time, will yield a harvest of joy.

C.S. Lewis put it this way: “Every time you make a choice you are turning the central part of you, the part of you that chooses, into something a little different from what it was before.” We can choose to submit our wills to God each day, asking Him to give us strength to live for Him and for others. As He works in us, we will grow in grace and in kindness.

So the question we need to ask ourselves is: Which way am I growing? — David H. Roper

Surer than autumn’s harvests
Are harvests of thought and deed;
Like those that our hands have planted,
The yield will be like the seed. —Harris

The seeds we sow today determine the kind of fruit we’ll reap tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom