Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

God's Message For You Today

27 August
Thursday TODAY'S READINGS:

WHAT ARE you IN CHARGE of?

“Blessed is that servant whom his master on his arrival finds doing so.” – Matthew 24:46

I remember the first time I entered the room for my preliminary interview. All the employees were head-bent, busy doing their work even when their manager was not around. I said to myself, “This is the kind of environment that I’d like to work in, the kind of people I’d like to work with.”
After two interviews, I was accepted as Methods Analyst at Benguet Corporation during the time of the late Jaime Ongpin and Delfin Lazaro. I can truly say that I enjoyed my work because of the high level of professionalism and integrity that prevailed in the organization.
The same can be said of our mission in life. Or the people God has put under our care. Are we faithful in carrying out what we’ve been tasked to do in this life, whether somebody’s looking or not, whether we are rewarded or not?
I guess in the end, what would matter to God is not how much we accomplished but how faithful we are in doing what we’re supposed to do in this life. Tess Atienza

REFLECTION:
What am I in charge of in this life? How would God evaluate what I’m doing?

My God, grant me the grace to be faithful in doing what You have tasked me to do in my life.

1st READING

Learning how to love God and our neighbor is an essential aspect of growing in our living in the Kingdom of God. Loving one’s enemies is not an option for a disciple of Jesus — it is a must! It will not come easily to us, but it is possible if we allow the love of God to transform us more and more into His image. God wants us to love one another in the way He loves us. Therefore, we must first allow God to love us so that we will grow in our capacity to love others.

1 Thessalonians 3:7-13
7 We have been reassured about you, brothers, in our every distress and affliction, through your faith. 8 For we now live, if you stand firm in the Lord. 9 What thanksgiving, then, can we render to God for you, for all the joy we feel on your account before our God? 10 Night and day we pray beyond measure to see you in person and to remedy the deficiencies of your faith. 11 Now may God himself, our Father, and our Lord Jesus direct our way to you, 12 and may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, just as we have for you, 13 so as to strengthen your hearts, to be blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his holy ones. Amen.

P S A L M

Psalm 90:3-4a. 12-13. 14 and 17
R: Fill us with your love, O Lord, and we will sing for joy!
3 You turn man back to dust, saying, “Return, O children of men.” 4 For a thousand years in your sight are as yesterday, now that it is past, or as a watch of the night. (R) 12 Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain wisdom of heart. 13 Return, O LORD! How long? Have pity on your servants! (R) 14 Fill us at daybreak with your kindness, that we may shout for joy and gladness all our days. 17 And may the gracious care of the Lord our God be ours; prosper the work of our hands for us! Prosper the work of our hands! (R)

G O S P E L

God will entrust us with greater gifts when we have demonstrated our faithfulness with lesser ones. God must have had immense faith in Monica when He entrusted Augustine to her as her son. The man who would arguably become the greatest theologian in the Church took a long time to find his way to baptism. Yet Monica never ceased praying for him. How much holier would we all be if we spend time each day interceding for fellow Christians?

Matthew 24:42-51
42 Jesus said to his disciples: “Stay awake! For you do not know on which day your Lord will come. 43 Be sure of this: if the master of the house had known the hour of night when the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and not let his house be broken into. 44 So too, you also must be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come. 45 “Who, then, is the faithful and prudent servant, whom the master has put in charge of his household to distribute to them their food at the proper time? 46 Blessed is that servant whom his master on his arrival finds doing so. 47 Amen, I say to you, he will put him in charge of all his property. 48 But if that wicked servant says to himself, ‘My master is long delayed,’ 49 and begins to beat his fellow servants, and eat and drink with drunkards, 50 the servant’s master will come on an unexpected day and at an unknown hour 51 and will punish him severely and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.”

my reflections
think: God will entrust us with greater gifts when we have demonstrated our faithfulness with lesser ones.

A most eXemPlAry mother

All Catholic mothers should delight in the saint we are honoring today, St. Monica. She is, after all, their patroness.
“What on God’s earth is more glorious than this?” asked one, referring to a mother. But in the case of St. Monica, she attained saintly motherhood through the anguish and suffering of one whose prayers apparently were not heard — prayers for the repentance of her son Augustine. With extreme patience, Monica was able to obtain the conversion of her husband Patricius, a vicious and immoral pagan who was baptized one year before his death. But Augustine remained her biggest problem.
For many years, Monica stormed heaven with prayers, fasting and tears. Once, a wise bishop whom she invited to talk to her son, told her, “God’s time will come. It is not possible that the son of so many tears should perish.” When she knew that Augustine had left secretly for Italy, she tracked him down as far as Milan and learned that he was eventually converted and baptized, much to her joy and consolation.
The first verse of our Gospel today echoes what that bishop saidto Monica. Jesus said, “You do not know on which day your Lord will come.” Mothers are most inclined to plan everything, to keep things under control, to work things out hands-on and to keep track of everything down to the last detail. But there will always be some uncertainty, with time as a major factor.
It is indeed only in God’s time that many of our deepest longings will be fulfilled. He is, after all, the One who calls the shots! If ever our prayers seem unanswered, we just have to trust the Lord that even the delay is for our own good, and He certainly has His reasons. In Monica’s last conversation with Augustine, she said to him, “As far as I am concerned, nothing in this life now gives me any pleasure. All I wished to live for was that I might see you a Catholic Christian and a child of heaven.” Indeed, the prayers of a loving mother were heard! Fr. Martin Macasaet, SDB

Reflection Question:
Do I patiently wait for God’s answers to my prayers? Or do I give up easily?

Lord, help me to trust that You have heard my prayers, even if sometimes they go unanswered.

St. Monica, pray for us.

28 August
Friday

THE BoX

… you must learn to make still greater progress. – 1 Thessalonians 4:1

The king loved his wife more than anyone has known love. His heart took all the sorrow in the world because of her untimely death. His enduring love then took an all-ambitious task of building the most magnificent palace, the grandest resting place that the world would ever set eyes on. He paid for all the best people, the finest of materials and the most sacred site.
The work consumed not only his time but his absolute consciousness, his entire soul. At the height of his obsession to complete the task, he tripped over a long box. In his rage, he immediately ordered this box that disturbed his work to be destroyed and thrown away. It was too late for him to realize that the box contained his wife’s body. The very reason why he did all these for was forever lost. This is the story behind the Taj Mahal, one of the world’s structural wonders. You lashed out at him for coming in late for the prayer meeting. Had you only asked first, you would have known that he had to be with his daughter who is emotionally depressed. Have the rules been more important than people? Listen to Jesus now. He says: Love is the True Law. Jon Escoto

REFLECTION:
Rules are good and are meant to protect people. But have the rules taken precedence over people in your work, relationships and in life? Look again at the boxes you have thrown away. Do they have names?

Father, teach me to love today. Help me remember that when I do what You tell me, I follow the real Law.

St. Augustine, Bishop and Doctor, pray for us.

1st READING

There are demands that the life of a Christian needs to refer to regarding sexual expression. We live in a day and age of sexual license and freedom of expression. Just because something might be legal or possible does not mean that it is right and good. One of the key words that you rarely hear in sexual discussions these days is ‘responsibility.’ Until we are willing to embrace personal responsibility for our own sexual expressions and actions beginning with an understanding of dressing modestly, we will never attain an acceptable level of responsibility.

1 Thessalonians 4:1-8
1 Brothers and sisters, we earnestly ask and exhort you in the Lord Jesus that, as you received from us how you should conduct yourselves to please God — and as you are conducting yourselves — you do so even more. 2 For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus. 3 This is the will of God, your holiness: that you refrain from immorality, 4 that each of you know how to acquire a wife for himself in holiness and honor, 5 not in lustful passion as do the Gentiles who do not know God; 6 not to take advantage of or exploit a brother in this matter, for the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you before and solemnly affirmed. 7 For God did not call us to impurity but to holiness. 8 Therefore, whoever disregards this, disregards not a human being but God, who also gives his Holy Spirit to you.

P S A L M

Psalm 97:1 and 2b. 5-6. 10. 11-12
R: Rejoice in the Lord, you just!
1 The LORD is king; let the earth rejoice; let the many isles be glad. 2 Justice and judgment are the foundation of his throne. (R) 5 The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth. 6 The heavens proclaim his justice, and all peoples see his glory. (R) 10 The LORD loves those that hate evil; he guards the lives of his faithful ones; from the hand of the wicked he delivers them. (R) 11 Light dawns for the just; and gladness, for the upright of heart. 12 Be glad in the LORD, you just, and give thanks to his holy name. (R)

G O S P E L

St. Augustine is one of the greatest minds the Church has known. He is the most quoted of all writers in Church documents. The depth and breadth of his writings is truly a testimony of his commitment to seek out the truth. It may have taken him decades to arrive at baptism, but he certainly made up for lost time in the years that followed. Metaphorically, he may have been one who ‘missed the boat’ or forgot his backup oil, for 32 years, but once he learned the lesson, there was no stopping him.

Matthew 25:1-13
1 Jesus told his disciples this parable: “The kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3 The foolish ones, when taking their lamps, brought no oil with them, 4 but the wise brought flasks of oil with their lamps. 5 Since the bridegroom was long delayed, they all became drowsy and fell asleep. 6 At midnight, there was a cry, ‘Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’ 7 Then all those virgins got up and trimmed their lamps. 8 The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ 9 But the wise ones replied, ‘No, for there may not be enough for us and you. Go instead to the merchants and buy some for yourselves.’ 10 While they went off to buy it, the bridegroom came and those who were ready went into the wedding feast with him. Then the door was locked. 11 Afterwards the other virgins came and said, ‘Lord, Lord, open the door for us!’ 12 But he said in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, I do not know you.’ 13 Therefore, stay awake, for you know neither the day nor the hour.”

my reflections
think:Until we are willing to embrace personal responsibility for our own sexual expressions and actions beginning with an understanding of dressing modestly, we will never attain an acceptable level of responsibility.

From immorAlity to holiness

Yesterday, we recalled and honored St. Monica; today, it’s the turn of her son, St. Augustine. (Probably this is the only instance when we have back-to-back liturgical celebrations of a mother-and-son pair of saints.) More than just the maternal ties is actually the solid bond of prayer which united the mother with the son: the prayer specifically which Monica ceaselessly and perseveringly offered to the Lord for the conversion of Augustine. He was by no means a “born saint.” In fact, he was a wayward child, a rebellious and restless youth. For his conversion, it took the profuse tears of his mother who interceded for him before God — that he may come at last to his senses, leave behind his sinful past and embrace a life of sanctity.
Indeed, the story of Augustine’s conversion (in the year 387) is one for the books. What’s even good is that, yes, it is available as a book. This great classic of Christian literature is no other than the Confessions of St. Augustine: his autobiography itself, a timeless personal account of human self-acceptance and divine grace, a work which, by the way, is available in bookstores even up to now (or maybe even as an e-book from the Internet). To be able to read this spiritual and literary masterpiece — in effect, to be able to enter and probe the very heart and mind of St. Augustine himself — should be an aspiration of every earnest Catholic reader.
As we read the First Reading for today, it’s as if the words of St. Paul have now become St. Augustine’s: “This is the will of God, your holiness: that you refrain from immorality . . . . For God did not call us to impurity but to holiness.” It’s true, Augustine dabbled in a life of immorality prior to his conversion. But God’s grace won him over to a totally new life, one of repentance and holiness. Fr. Martin Macasaet, SDB

Reflection Question:
Is there someone in your life that needs your prayers for conversion? Entrust Him to God.

Lord, like St. Monica, I pray for __________________’s conversion to You.

St. Augustine, Bishop and Doctor, pray for us.

2 September
Wednesday TODAY'S READINGS:

SloW mE DoWN

At daybreak, Jesus left and went to a deserted place. – Luke 4:42

I’d like to share with you one of my favorite poems I memorized back in high school.
Slow me down, Lord.
Ease the pounding of my heart with the quieting of my mind;
Steady my hurried pace with a vision of the eternal reach of time;
Give me, amid the confusion of the day, the calmness of the everlasting hills;
Break the tension of my nerves and muscles with the soothing music of the singing streams that live in my memory.
Help me to know the magical, restoring power of sleep.
Teach me the art of taking minute vacations — of slowing down to look at a flower, to chat with a friend, to pat a dog, to read a few lines from a good book.
Slow me down, Lord, and inspire me to send my roots deep into the soil of life’s enduring values that I may grow toward the stars of my greater destiny.
In this noisy world we live in, we need to carve out time for prayer, for aloneness, for quiet and peace. In that silence, we will find ourselves and we will find the Lord. After all, if Jesus took time for silence, shouldn’t we do the same? Joy Sosoban

REFLECTION:
“Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:11)

Grant me the courage to be still, O Lord, and make You truly God of my life.

1st READING

Paul had many assistants in the work of proclaiming the Gospel and establishing Christian communities among those who gave their lives to Christ. Today we hear of Epaphras who worked in Colossae. Very little is known about him yet he was instrumental in establishing the community in Colossae. This is the same with much of the work for the Kingdom of God — it goes unnoticed by the world. However, we can be sure that nothing goes unnoticed in God’s eyes.

Colossians 1:1-8
1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, 2 to the holy ones and faithful brothers in Christ in Colossae: grace to you and peace from God our Father. 3 We always give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, 4 for we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love that you have for all the holy ones 5 because of the hope reserved for you in heaven. Of this you have already heard through the word of truth, the gospel, 6 that has come to you. Just as in the whole world it is bearing fruit and growing, so also among you, from the day you heard it and came to know the grace of God in truth, 7 as you learned it from Epaphras our beloved fellow slave, who is a trustworthy minister of Christ on your behalf 8 and who also told us of your love in the Spirit.

P S A L M

Psalm 52:10. 11
R: I trust in the mercy of God for ever.
8 [10] I, like a green olive tree in the house of God, trust in the mercy of God forever and ever. (R) 9 [11] I will thank you always for what you have done, and proclaim the goodness of your name before your faithful ones. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus knows the imperative attached to evangelization. It is not an option for Him — He MUST do it! The same ought to be true for us according to God’s call for us. Let us pray that we realize that we too are expected to preach the Good News both in season and out of season. This means being prepared to share the Gospel with others at a moment’s notice. I remember visiting a community once and I think every person I met managed to share with me something of the power of God at work in their lives. Only on reflection did I realize how edifying this was for my own faith!

Luke 4:38-44
38 After Jesus left the synagogue, he entered the house of Simon. Simon’s mother-in-law was afflicted with a severe fever, and they interceded with him about her. 39 He stood over her, rebuked the fever, and it left her. She got up immediately and waited on them. 40 At sunset, all who had people sick with various diseases brought them to him. He laid his hands on each of them and cured them. 41 And demons also came out from many, shouting, “You are the Son of God.” But he rebuked them and did not allow them to speak because they knew that he was the Messiah. 42 At daybreak, Jesus left and went to a deserted place. The crowds went looking for him, and when they came to him, they tried to prevent him from leaving them. 43 But he said to them, “To the other towns also I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God, because for this purpose I have been sent.” 44 And he was preaching in the synagogues of Judea.

my reflections
think: Much of the work for the Kingdom of God goes unnoticed by the world. But we can be sure nothing goes unnoticed in God’s eyes.

God’s special verse/thought for me today________________

bringing the sick to Jesus

Sometimes when I reflect on passages such as today’s Gospel, I think that ‘bringing the sick people to Jesus’ is symbolic of recognizing that we all must come to Jesus in order to be healed of our various sicknesses and maladies. All of us fall sick at one time or another. All of us need to come to Jesus in order to be saved from our sins. The act of bringing the physically sick to Jesus is a symbol of how we all must come to Jesus in faith to receive the gift of salvation.
I am the sort of person who hates admitting that I get sick — in fact, I will generally refuse to submit to sickness and keep going about my normal daily routine, and I usually refuse to take medicine if I can avoid it. This may be the result of my own drivenness, bordering on being a workaholic. What is critical for me is that I do not bring the same attitude into my faith. We all struggle with admitting that we are sinners who need help to overcome temptation and sin. It is crucial that we be able to admit that we are sick with sin and seek the remedy of Christ’s forgiveness through humility and faith. Until we are able to do this, we will remain captive to sin and a slave to our worldly desires.
It is only Jesus who can help us overcome our sinfulness, as it is He that has put sin to death through His obedience to the will of His Father. We need to learn that obedience to God’s will is the surest protection against sin and temptation. If we can learn the path of obedience, we will certainly give sin a lot less opportunity to mess up our lives. Jesus heals the sick and drives out demons during His ministry. He can and will do the same today through the ministry of the Church if we are willing to allow Him to convert us and use us to convert others. The Gospels clearly demonstrate the power of Jesus at work
in peoples’ lives. These people can be us if we are willing to place our faith and trust in Him. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Where am I going in life? Am I following the will of God or am I doing what I want to do? The two may or may not be mutually exclusive.

Holy Spirit, help me to be convinced that the only way to experience the true freedom and fullness of life as a son or daughter of God is through surrendering my life to Jesus and following His will for my life.

2 September
Wednesday TODAY'S READINGS:

SloW mE DoWN

At daybreak, Jesus left and went to a deserted place. – Luke 4:42

I’d like to share with you one of my favorite poems I memorized back in high school.
Slow me down, Lord.
Ease the pounding of my heart with the quieting of my mind;
Steady my hurried pace with a vision of the eternal reach of time;
Give me, amid the confusion of the day, the calmness of the everlasting hills;
Break the tension of my nerves and muscles with the soothing music of the singing streams that live in my memory.
Help me to know the magical, restoring power of sleep.
Teach me the art of taking minute vacations — of slowing down to look at a flower, to chat with a friend, to pat a dog, to read a few lines from a good book.
Slow me down, Lord, and inspire me to send my roots deep into the soil of life’s enduring values that I may grow toward the stars of my greater destiny.
In this noisy world we live in, we need to carve out time for prayer, for aloneness, for quiet and peace. In that silence, we will find ourselves and we will find the Lord. After all, if Jesus took time for silence, shouldn’t we do the same? Joy Sosoban

REFLECTION:
“Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:11)

Grant me the courage to be still, O Lord, and make You truly God of my life.

1st READING

Paul had many assistants in the work of proclaiming the Gospel and establishing Christian communities among those who gave their lives to Christ. Today we hear of Epaphras who worked in Colossae. Very little is known about him yet he was instrumental in establishing the community in Colossae. This is the same with much of the work for the Kingdom of God — it goes unnoticed by the world. However, we can be sure that nothing goes unnoticed in God’s eyes.

Colossians 1:1-8
1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, 2 to the holy ones and faithful brothers in Christ in Colossae: grace to you and peace from God our Father. 3 We always give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, 4 for we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love that you have for all the holy ones 5 because of the hope reserved for you in heaven. Of this you have already heard through the word of truth, the gospel, 6 that has come to you. Just as in the whole world it is bearing fruit and growing, so also among you, from the day you heard it and came to know the grace of God in truth, 7 as you learned it from Epaphras our beloved fellow slave, who is a trustworthy minister of Christ on your behalf 8 and who also told us of your love in the Spirit.

P S A L M

Psalm 52:10. 11
R: I trust in the mercy of God for ever.
8 [10] I, like a green olive tree in the house of God, trust in the mercy of God forever and ever. (R) 9 [11] I will thank you always for what you have done, and proclaim the goodness of your name before your faithful ones. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus knows the imperative attached to evangelization. It is not an option for Him — He MUST do it! The same ought to be true for us according to God’s call for us. Let us pray that we realize that we too are expected to preach the Good News both in season and out of season. This means being prepared to share the Gospel with others at a moment’s notice. I remember visiting a community once and I think every person I met managed to share with me something of the power of God at work in their lives. Only on reflection did I realize how edifying this was for my own faith!

Luke 4:38-44
38 After Jesus left the synagogue, he entered the house of Simon. Simon’s mother-in-law was afflicted with a severe fever, and they interceded with him about her. 39 He stood over her, rebuked the fever, and it left her. She got up immediately and waited on them. 40 At sunset, all who had people sick with various diseases brought them to him. He laid his hands on each of them and cured them. 41 And demons also came out from many, shouting, “You are the Son of God.” But he rebuked them and did not allow them to speak because they knew that he was the Messiah. 42 At daybreak, Jesus left and went to a deserted place. The crowds went looking for him, and when they came to him, they tried to prevent him from leaving them. 43 But he said to them, “To the other towns also I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God, because for this purpose I have been sent.” 44 And he was preaching in the synagogues of Judea.

my reflections
think: Much of the work for the Kingdom of God goes unnoticed by the world. But we can be sure nothing goes unnoticed in God’s eyes.

God’s special verse/thought for me today________________

bringing the sick to Jesus

Sometimes when I reflect on passages such as today’s Gospel, I think that ‘bringing the sick people to Jesus’ is symbolic of recognizing that we all must come to Jesus in order to be healed of our various sicknesses and maladies. All of us fall sick at one time or another. All of us need to come to Jesus in order to be saved from our sins. The act of bringing the physically sick to Jesus is a symbol of how we all must come to Jesus in faith to receive the gift of salvation.
I am the sort of person who hates admitting that I get sick — in fact, I will generally refuse to submit to sickness and keep going about my normal daily routine, and I usually refuse to take medicine if I can avoid it. This may be the result of my own drivenness, bordering on being a workaholic. What is critical for me is that I do not bring the same attitude into my faith. We all struggle with admitting that we are sinners who need help to overcome temptation and sin. It is crucial that we be able to admit that we are sick with sin and seek the remedy of Christ’s forgiveness through humility and faith. Until we are able to do this, we will remain captive to sin and a slave to our worldly desires.
It is only Jesus who can help us overcome our sinfulness, as it is He that has put sin to death through His obedience to the will of His Father. We need to learn that obedience to God’s will is the surest protection against sin and temptation. If we can learn the path of obedience, we will certainly give sin a lot less opportunity to mess up our lives. Jesus heals the sick and drives out demons during His ministry. He can and will do the same today through the ministry of the Church if we are willing to allow Him to convert us and use us to convert others. The Gospels clearly demonstrate the power of Jesus at work
in peoples’ lives. These people can be us if we are willing to place our faith and trust in Him. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Where am I going in life? Am I following the will of God or am I doing what I want to do? The two may or may not be mutually exclusive.

Holy Spirit, help me to be convinced that the only way to experience the true freedom and fullness of life as a son or daughter of God is through surrendering my life to Jesus and following His will for my life.

3 September
Thursday TODAY'S READINGS:

JuST KEEP TRyING

Simon said in reply, “Master, we have worked hard all night and have caught nothing, but at your command, I will lower the nets.” – Luke 5:5

My friend had always wanted to be a priest. So straight out of high school he entered the seminary. But shortly after entering, he was asked to leave. The formators thought he wasn’t emotionally ready to take on priesthood. Brokenhearted, my friend pursued other things instead — a college education, a career and a romantic relationship. But because he felt he was once again being called to the religious life, he broke up with his girlfriend. After a few years, he applied at a different seminary. And again, he wasn’t accepted.
A lot of people would probably take that as a sign to simply give up. But my friend believed in his calling. He knew in his heart that God would do whatever was needed to be done to see that calling through. My friend was right.
On his third try, he was finally accepted into a seminary. The location of his school? Rome, Italy. Right next to the Vatican. In less than two years, my friend will complete his studies. He will come back to the Philippines as the man he was always destined to be — a priest. Because he didn’t lose hope. Because he believed. Because he heard Christ’s voice that said, “Just keep trying.” Cess Cosico

REFLECTION:
Do you feel like giving up? Hang on to Jesus.

Lord, strengthen me in all my endeavors. May it be Your voice that will I always hear.

1st READING

These words of Paul take on the character of a prayer for all believers. They also indicate that following Christ is not necessarily an easy task. We have to fight for it if we want to do it successfully. Christian discipleship is a serious decision to make as it means total commitment. There is no such thing as a half-hearted or half-committed Christian; with God it is either all or nothing!

Colossians 1:9-14
9 Brothers and sisters: From the day we heard this, we do not cease praying for you and asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding 10 to live in a manner worthy of the Lord, so as to be fully pleasing, in every good work bearing fruit and growing in the knowledge of God, 11 strengthened with every power, in accord with his glorious might, for all endurance and patience, with joy 12 giving thanks to the Father, who has made you fit to share in the inheritance of the holy ones in light. 13 He delivered us from the power of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

P S A L M

Psalm 98:2-3ab. 3cd-4. 5-6
R: The Lord has made his salvation known.
2 The LORD has made his salvation known: in the sight of the nations he has revealed his justice. 3 He has remembered his kindness and his faithfulness toward the house of Israel. (R) All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation by our God. 4 Sing joyfully to the LORD, all you lands; break into song; sing praise. (R) 5 Sing praise to the LORD with the harp, with the harp and melodious song. 6 With trumpets and the sound of the horn sing joyfully before the King, the LORD. (R)

G O S P E L

Gregory the Great knew the need to send out missionaries to the ends of the earth, and so he sent Augustine to Canterbury, as well as numerous other Benedictine monks to various parts of Europe to evangelize the local peoples. Jesus called men in order to form them in the Gospel and then sent them out as missionaries. This process continues today as we seek to reach all men and women with the Good News of salvation through Jesus Christ. Let us never be ashamed to proclaim and defend our faith in Christ.

Luke 5:1-11
1 While the crowd was pressing in on Jesus and listening to the word of God, he was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret. 2 He saw two boats there alongside the lake; the fishermen had disembarked and were washing their nets. 3 Getting into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, he asked him to put out a short distance from the shore. Then he sat down and taught the crowds from the boat. 4 After he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water and lower your nets for a catch.” 5 Simon said in reply, “Master, we have worked hard all night and have caught nothing, but at your command I will lower the nets.” 6 When they had done this, they caught a great number of fish and their nets were tearing. 7 They signaled to their partners in the other boat to come to help them. They came and filled both boats so that they were in danger of sinking. 8 When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at the knees of Jesus and said, “Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man.” 9 For astonishment at the catch of fish they had made seized him and all those with him, 10 and likewise James and John, the sons of Zebedee, who were partners of Simon. Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.” 11 When they brought their boats to the shore, they left everything and followed him.

my reflections
think:
Do I allow myself to be formed with the word of God? Am I willing to be sent out as a missionary?

With god All things Are Possible

If we ever doubt that God is in control or that it takes but a word from God and a whole situation can be turned upside down, then today’s Gospel is the one to turn to. Simon has been fishing all night and has caught nothing. He must have been exhausted and ready to go home and rest. I wonder what it was about the words of Jesus that made him go back into the deep water and try once more for a catch?
At the word of Jesus, Simon throws over the nets and, to his great disbelief, he gets probably the biggest catch of his life. This is the difference Jesus can make, if we let Him. If we fail to follow His word, we may never know such power and blessing. Obedience to God is always a key aspect in any saint’s holiness. It is an indispensable aspect of a life of discipleship.
Jesus is not and never has been a tyrant. This does not mean that He will never ask us to do something we do not want to do. But it does mean that we can know for sure that whatever He asks us to do will be for our benefit. Jesus will never ask us to do anything that will harm us or our opportunity to gain the reward of eternal life. It is only with the eternal life perspective that we will be willing to surrender to Jesus’ will in our lives. It is only with this perspective that we will be able to avoid the pitfalls and call of the pleasures of the world over and above the call to live and work for the Kingdom of God.
Peter knows that he is unworthy of God’s blessing, but he is willing to receive it. We are all unworthy and will never be able to earn God’s love or blessings on our own merit. The best that we can do is to be faithful to God’s will and do our best to act on it. This is the only happiness and fulfilment that will endure for life. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Questions:
Do I seek the wisdom of God when I am making decisions for my life? If not, why not? Let us be committed to ensuring that all we do is within the bounds of God’s will.

Father, You want me to receive and experience Your love and mercy every day. Help me to be open to Your will and submit my life to Your guidance.

St. Gregory the Great, Priest and Doctor, pray for us.

Last edited:
4 September
Friday TODAY'S READINGS:

NEW WINESKINS

“New wine should be put into new wineskins.” – Luke 5:38

It has been six years since our company started. We named it New Wineskins Ventures. I had been led to name the company this way because new wine is another name of the Holy Spirit and we want the company to be molded and led by Him.
Looking back, we see that the company has lived up to its name. For the past six years, our laborers have not formed a union because of their harmonious relationship with us. The company earned profits and we shared it with them. We’ve also satisfied our customers such that some of them have entrusted us to be their sole supplier. And for the last four years, the government has awarded us as the top taxpayer in our BIR region.
We have peace with our stakeholders — the workers, our customers and the government. Peace is our reward for allowing the Holy Spirit to be our management director. And when the management is happy, it grants bonuses! Donna España

REFLECTION:
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will
make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5, 6)

Father, I thank You for sending down the Holy Spirit to guide me through all my endeavors so that they bear fruit.

----------------------------

1st READING

Under the Old Covenant, the forgiveness of sins was gained by offering to God the life essence or blood of sacrificed animals. When Jesus died on the cross, He offered the perfect sacrifice (because He was without sin) to the Father of His own blood, and it is that offering that forms the basis of the forgiveness of all sins for all time. Jesus’ offering never has to be repeated because it is a perfect offering of innocent blood to the Father. This is how much He loves us!

Colossians 1:15-20
15 Brothers and sisters, Christ Jesus is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For in him were created all things in heaven and on earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things were created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 He is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things he himself might be preeminent. 19 For in him all the fullness was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him to reconcile all things for him, making peace by the blood of his cross through him, whether those on earth or those in heaven.

P S A L M

Psalm 100:1b-2. 3. 4. 5
R: Come with joy into the presence of the Lord.
1 Sing joyfully to the LORD, all you lands; 2 serve the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful song. (R) 3 Know that the LORD is God; he made us, his we are; his people, the flock he tends. (R) 4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving, his courts with praise; give thanks to him; bless his name. (R) 5 For he is good the LORD, whose kindness endures forever, and his faithfulness, to all generations. (R)

G O S P E L

There comes a time when traditions change, the man-made ones that is. We cannot allow ourselves to get so attached to ways of doing things or living our faith that we are unable to embrace the changes the Holy Spirit brings to our lives. Jesus was not afraid to leave behind incorrect or archaic interpretations of His faith in order to embrace the new revelation of God. Nor should we be afraid of any change truly inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Luke 5:33-39
33 The scribes and Pharisees said to Jesus, “The disciples of John fast often and offer prayers, and the disciples of the Pharisees do the same; but yours eat and drink.” 34 Jesus answered them, “Can you make the wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them? 35 But the days will come, and when the bridegroom is taken away from them, then they will fast in those days.” 36 And he also told them a parable. “No one tears a piece from a new cloak to patch an old one. Otherwise, he will tear the new and the piece from it will not match the old cloak. 37 Likewise, no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the new wine will burst the skins, and it will be spilled, and the skins will be ruined. 38 Rather, new wine must be poured into fresh wineskins. 39 And no one who has been drinking old wine desires new, for he says, ‘The old is good.’ ”

my reflections
think: How open am I to the changes that the Holy Spirit wants to bring into my life?

--------------------------

turning over A neW leAF

When we experience conversion to Jesus, we may be shocked to know that there are many things that we need to change if we are going to faithfully live according to the precepts of the Gospel. Sometimes this will require total lifestyle changes, hence the title above, ‘turning over a new leaf.’ What do I mean?
When the call of the Gospel is placed upon our lives, we are called to live according to the will of God, and thus we have to leave behind the call of the world. If we are honest with ourselves, we are probably more embedded in and committed to our worldly goals than we are to the goals of the Kingdom of God. This has to change, no matter how painful the process of change will be. Are you willing to pay the price of change? Jesus paid a price to become a man and then to embrace His Father’s will and undergo suffering and death for our sake.
We cannot complain if we have to endure a few pains in order to free ourselves from the bonds of sin. We do not hear Jesus complaining about the consequences of following His Father’s will. He simply embraced it and trusted that God knew what He was doing when He asked such a tremendous sacrifice from Him. After all, it ought to be infinitely easier for us, given that we are sinners, and thus deserve to have to pay a price to be free from the powers of sin. Jesus was sinless and His only obligation, if you can call it that, was the obligation of love.
The parable talks about not mixing the old and new such that both are lost in the mess. The same is true in our faith — we need to discern what aspects of our lives need to be discarded and those we can retain. We also need to commit ourselves to becoming disciples of Jesus by following His will for us. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
What are the aspects of my life that are not compatible with the Gospel? Am I willing to let go of them? If not, am I willing to accept the eternal consequences of such reluctance?

Holy Spirit, awaken my mind and heart to the truth and never allow me to settle for anything other than the complete truth.

St. Ida of Herzfeld, Widow, pray for us.

7 September
Monday

PERSECuTING THE GooD

… they became enraged and discussed together what they might do to Jesus. – Luke 6:11

Ridiculous. Hilarious. Insane. But yes. People do persecute others for doing good things. Jesus heals a man and the scribes and Pharisees were enraged. Why? Because, they said, it was a Sabbath! Call it legalism. Call it pure envy. Call it “crab mentality.” But you know what? It’s still happening now.
A healing priest gives hope to thousands — and he is admonished for it and banned in some places. A community holds powerful worship services and inspiring talks — and is reprimanded for not giving “dues” to the “rightful authorities.” A charismatic group fires up the faith of parishioners but when a new priest comes in, he orders them to stop and move somewhere else.
Well, I understand that’s being careful and cautious. There are jurisdictions to observe and rules to follow. Otherwise, there will be chaos and disarray. But to do this to the detriment and loss of the faithful? To the dampening of the hearts, hopes and spirits of the people? To the “killing of the good ones” to prevent the “bad ones”?
How I wish Jesus Himself would come again and make all things new! But then, what’s the guarantee He too won’t be persecuted again? Alvin Barcelona

REFLECTION:
Are you being persecuted for doing good things? Cheer up! Jesus himself experienced the same. Don’t lose heart.

Lord, let me continue doing good things in Your name. Let me also allow and respect others to do the same for You. Amen.

1st READING

If we truly take on a life of discipleship, we will enter into the sufferings of Christ in a way that we could never have perceived without the actual experience. To toil actively for the salvation of souls is to give our lives in the service of the Gospel so that the only thing that really matters is for the truth of the gift of salvation through Christ be made known to the world. In this sense, our sufferings, trials and difficulties are united with those of Christ in His unending work of salvation. We have the honor of ‘completing what is lacking’ in the sufferings of Christ precisely through sharing in the trials of proclaiming the Gospel to the world.

Colossians 1:24–2:3
24 Brothers and sisters: I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church, 25 of which I am a minister in accordance with God’s stewardship given to me to bring to completion for you the word of God, 26 the mystery hidden from ages and from generations past. But now it has been manifested to his holy ones, 27 to whom God chose to make known the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; it is Christ in you, the hope for glory. 28 It is he whom we proclaim, admonishing everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. 29 For this I labor and struggle, in accord with the exercise of his power working within me. 2: 1 For I want you to know how great a struggle I am having for you and for those in Laodicea and all who have not seen me face to face, 2 that their hearts may be encouraged as they are brought together in love, to have all the richness of fully assured understanding, for the knowledge of the mystery of God, Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

P S A L M

Psalm 62:6-7. 9
R: In God is my safety and my glory.
5 [6] Only in God be at rest, my soul, for from him comes my hope. 6 [7] He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be disturbed. (R) 8 [9] Trust in him at all times, O my people! Pour out your hearts before him; God is our refuge! (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus was not beyond making a point when He thought it was necessary. Sometimes the best way to approach a problem is ‘head on’! There is no point in ‘skirting around the edges’ if it is not going to achieve the required result. Let us never be afraid to stand for and proclaim and defend the truth of our faith no matter what the consequences may be for us. I am not advocating pride or arrogance, simply humble service of the truth. There is no greater master than the truth!

Luke 6:6-11
6 On a certain sabbath Jesus went into the synagogue and taught, and there was a man there whose right hand was withered. 7 The scribes and the Pharisees watched him closely to see if he would cure on the Sabbath so that they might discover a reason to accuse him. 8 But he realized their intentions and said to the man with the withered hand, “Come up and stand before us.” And he rose and stood there. 9 Then Jesus said to them, “I ask you, is it lawful to do good on the sabbath rather than to do evil, to save life rather than to destroy it?” 10 Looking around at them all, he then said to him, “Stretch out your hand.” He did so and his hand was restored. 11 But they became enraged and discussed together what they might do to Jesus.

my reflections
think: There is no greater master than the truth.

is this reAlly A Question oF lAW?

Jesus asks the Scribes and Pharisees if it is against the Law to do good on the Sabbath. This seems to be a question that comes from a somewhat frustrated man. Surely there are no limits placed upon when or where one may do good. By definition, to do good means exactly that — to do good! When we do good by giving alms to others, it has no bearing whether the act is good or not. If an act is a good one, then it will be just as good on Monday as it is on Tuesday or any other day of the week.
Jesus seems to be showing us the position the Scribes and Pharisees are taking against Him in no uncertain terms. They have no basis to the arguments they have against Him and here is one example of that. I do not think Jesus minds being questioned by us on His will or the meaning and expression of life in His Kingdom provided such questions are legitimate and make sense. This is not the case here.
Not only does Jesus demonstrate the nonsensical nature of the challenge made against His ministry; He directly challenges it by healing the man with a withered hand. What is in this story for us? I believe the story challenges us to look closely at any objections we might have to becoming disciples of Jesus. We all have to work through the objections that our minds raise against this call and they are different for each one of us. What is important is that we give each one its proper due. If it is a legitimate question, then answer it. If it is a ridiculous question or challenge, then it should be dismissed as summarily as Jesus dismisses today’s challenge from the Scribes and Pharisees.
Following Jesus will always have its challenges. What is essential in the middle of all this is that we do the best we can to embrace His call to us. By all means, ask questions about the call if you do not understand it. However, once we have heard His call, we ought to respond to it without delay. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Are the excuses I make to myself or to God valid in not following His will for my life? What is the source of these invalid excuses?

Holy Spirit, help me to overcome all the difficulties I face in being a disciple of Jesus. I need Your grace to follow His will and do all that He asks me to do in the service of the Kingdom of God.

St. Regina, Virgin and Martyr, pray for us.

30 October
Friday

DADDy! DADDy!

“Who among you, if your son or ox falls into a cistern, would not immediately pull him out on the Sabbath day?” ¬– Luke 14:5

My two nephews, aged 11 and 7, were circumcised recently. I had scheduled a meeting at the same time as their surgery. But my brother asked his eldest son, Dave, if he wanted me to be there for them during the operation. Trying to act like a big boy while being betrayed by his trembling lips, Dave said yes. I postponed my meeting.
The days afterward were difficult for the boys. During early mornings and throughout the day, one of them would cry out in pain, “Ouch, ouch, ouch.” Or when the pain got worse, they’d cry out “Daddy! Daddy! Where’s my daddy?!”
One night when my brother was out, I was left to comfort them, pitying their difficult state. I realized how our Heavenly Father must feel when we cry out in pain. If I felt moved by the plight of my little nephews, how much more must He feel when He seesus in pain and suffering? And If I wanted to do all in my power to help them, how much more must He feel towards us?
When we want to rage against heaven for our circumstances, let’s remind ourselves that God shares our pain. He even came down to be with us. Joy Sosoban

REFLECTION:
Do I blame the Lord when life becomes difficult?

Heavenly Father, forgive me for the times that I have been angry with You for my circumstances. Enable me to see Your love for me even in those circumstances.

1st READING

Paul is worried about the salvation of the Jews and obviously still has great affection for the people of his formative years. But, he is powerless to give them faith. He can share the truth with them; he can preach the Gospel to them; but ultimately it is up to each individual what response he or she will make to the Gospel and the offer of salvation.

Romans 9:1-5
1 Brothers and sisters: I speak the truth in Christ, I do not lie; my conscience joins with the Holy Spirit in bearing me witness 2 that I have great sorrow and constant anguish in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed and separated from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kin according to the flesh. 4 They are Israelites; theirs the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; 5 theirs the patriarchs, and from them, according to the flesh, is the Messiah. God who is over all be blessed forever. Amen.

P S A L M

Psalm 147:12-13. 14-15. 19-20
R: Praise the Lord, Jerusalem.
12 Glorify the LORD, O Jerusalem; praise your God, O Zion. 13 For he has strengthened the bars of your gates; he has blessed your children within you. (R) 14 He has granted peace in your borders; with the best of wheat he fills you. 15 He sends forth his command to the earth; swiftly runs his word! (R) 19 He has proclaimed his word to Jacob, his statutes and his ordinances to Israel. 20 He has not done thus for any other nation; his ordinances he has not made known to them. Alleluia. (R)

G O S P E L

Once again, Jesus heals someone on the Sabbath. He is totally unconcerned with the law against work on the Sabbath as He knows that what He is doing is not breaking that law. The interpretation of the law that the Pharisees say He has broken is incorrect as it is not founded on love or mercy. Let us seek to build our lives on our experience of God’s love and mercy and so share these graces with others.

Luke 14:1-6
1 On a sabbath Jesus went to dine at the home of one of the leading Pharisees, and the people there were observing him carefully. 2 In front of him there was a man suffering from dropsy. 3 Jesus spoke to the scholars of the law and Pharisees in reply, asking, “Is it lawful to cure on the Sabbath or not?” 4 But they kept silent; so he took the man and, after he had healed him, dismissed him. 5 Then he said to them, “Who among you, if your son or ox falls into a cistern, would not immediately pull him out on the Sabbath day?” 6 But they were unable to answer his question.

my reflections
think: Ultimately it is up to each individual what response he or she will make to the Gospel and the offer of salvation.

the spiRit Of the lAW

Until now the Sabbath is, for Jews, the most important day of the week. By keeping this day holy and by observing its laws and rules, the Jews express their love for God and for His Law. It was the grand test of fidelity.
Why then was Jesus “violating” the Sabbath so many times by doing what was not allowed? Wasn’t Jesus showing disrespect for God’s Law?
Jesus never ever would do something that would show disrespect for His Father whom He loved so much, whose will He had come to do — even until the bitter end: His death on the Cross. Why, then, did He provoke His pious hosts during that Sabbath dinner and at other occasions?
Jesus had nothing against the Sabbath. To keep this day holy after all was one of the Ten Commandments God had given. But many Jews observed this day in a legalistic way. They thought that if they observe even the smallest rule they would please God. And here Jesus had to correct them. When rules become more important than love of neighbor, there is something wrong. After all,love of God and love of neighbour are the two most important laws. By loving one’s neighbor we express our love for God.
Even we Christians can easily fall into this trap of legalism. We might think that we are good Christians when we obey the Ten Commandments and the commandments of the Church. That’s basic, of course. It is, for example, very good to attend faithfully Mass every Sunday. But what would Jesus ask of you when there is an emergency, when somebody at home or in the neighborhood would need immediate help? Mass or help? Today’s Gospel passage gives the answer: helping a person in need would be more important than going to Mass on this particular day. Jesus once said that He did not come to abolish the Law but to fulfill it. That means, He honors and respects the Law but wants us to live the spirit of the Law. And the spirit of the Law is love of God and love of neighbor. Fr. Rudy Horst, SVD

Reflection Question:
Do I have the tendency to cover up my lack of love for others by being faithful to rules?

Lord, it is so easy to be a hypocrite. I can easily convince myself to be good because I don’t violate any major commandment. But I realize that there is something more important You ask of me: love my fellowmen, even my enemies. Lord, help me to do this in future.

St. Dorothy of Montau, pray for us.

27 November
Friday

WRITING my oWN BooK

“… The court was convened, and the books were opened.” – Daniel 7:10

When I was in college, I wrote three dreams that I wanted to fulfill in my life. One of which was to write my own book. It was a dream that I kept hidden until opportunities came for me to use whatever writing talent I have.
As a writer and editor now, I could see how tedious and how long it is to write and publish book. You work with a lot of people. Tension runs high when deadline approaches. The commas and the dots matter when ordinarily you don’t mind where they are placed. You use lower case when it should be capitalized.
The same is true with our life. Every day, we write the book of our life. Sometimes we don’t mind the small things, like our relationship with the people around us, and just focus our efforts on achieving our goals. But at the end of our life, God will not ask about our business empires nor about houses we have built. He will simply ask how much we have loved.
And then the court will open.
And we will be judged. Tess Atienza

REFLECTION:
Have you filled your life with moments that really matter?

Lord, train my heart to be sensitive to opportunities to show my love to others.

1ST READING
Suffering and even persecution are a part of life. It seems that whenever we come across something that is worth living for, we also have to be willing to die for it! This seeming contradiction is at the heart of the Gospel message — the first will be last and the last will be first; only the person who dies to his or her self can truly live. We will have to learn what this means if we are going to be His disciple.

Daniel 7:2-14
2 In the vision I saw during the night, suddenly the four winds of heaven stirred up the great sea, 3 from which emerged four immense beasts, each different from the others. 4 The first was like a lion, but with eagle’s wings. While I watched, the wings were plucked; it was raised from the ground to stand on two feet like a man, and given a human mind. 5 The second was like a bear; it was raised up on one side, and among the teeth in its mouth were three tusks. It was given the order, “Up, devour much flesh.” 6 After this I looked and saw another beast, like a leopard; on its back were four wings like those of a bird, and it had four heads. To this beast dominion was given. 7 After this, in the visions of the night I saw the fourth beast, different from all the others, terrifying, horrible, and of extraordinary strength; it had great iron teeth with which it devoured and crushed, and what was left it trampled with its feet. 8 I was considering the ten horns it had, when suddenly another, a little horn, sprang out of their midst, and three of the previous horns were torn away to make room for it. This horn had eyes like a man, and a mouth that spoke arrogantly. 9 As I watched, Thrones were set up and the Ancient One took his throne. His clothing was snow bright, and the hair on his head as white as wool; His throne was flames of fire, with wheels of burning fire. 10 A surging stream of fire flowed out from where he sat; Thousands upon thousands were ministering to him, and myriads upon myriads attended him. The court was convened, and the books were opened. 11 I watched, then, from the first of the arrogant words which the horn spoke, until the beast was slain and its body thrown into the fire to be burnt up. 12 The other beasts, which also lost their dominion, were granted a prolongation of life for a time and a season. 13 As the visions during the night continued, I saw One like a son of man coming, on the clouds of heaven; When he reached the Ancient One and was presented before him, 14 He received dominion, glory, and kingship; nations and peoples of every language serve him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that shall not be taken away, his kingship shall not be destroyed.

P S A L M
Daniel 3:75. 76. 77. 78. 79. 80. 81
R: Give glory and eternal praise to him!
52 [Dan 3:75] “Mountains and hills, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.” (R) 53 [Dan 3:76] “Everything growing from the earth, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.” (R) 54 [Dan 3:77] “You springs, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above allforever.” (R) 55 [Dan 3:78] “Seas and rivers, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.” (R) 56 [Dan 3:79] “You dolphins and all water creatures, bless the Lord, praise and exalt him above all forever.” (R) 57 [Dan 3:80] “All you birds of the air, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.” (R) 58 [Dan 3:81] “All you beasts, wild and tame, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.” (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus is right in that in a very short period of time when He is raised from the dead, the world will be changed. It is His resurrection from the dead that puts in place a totally new regime in the world, a regime where the fundamental power at work is Jesus’ victory over sin and not the reign of sin and death. All we have to do now is appropriate that victory and live it, and ultimately the Kingdom of God will reign.

Luke 21:29-33
29 Jesus told his disciples a parable. “Consider the fig tree and all the other trees. 30 When their buds burst open, you see for yourselves and know that summer is now near; 31 in the same way, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near. 32 Amen, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place. 33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.”

my reflections
think:Jesus’ resurrection from the dead puts a totally new regime in the world — where His victory over sin and death reigns.

the signs Of summeR ARe heRe

I wonder if you have ever seen a deciduous tree in bud before the leaves and flowers have come out? It is fascinating to watch the gradual transformation, for example, of a peach tree. First, the winter cold begins to lift, and then the buds of the flowers begin to swell, until one by one, they burst out in a blaze of pinkish blooms. Then the leaves do the same thing and the tree has left behind its winter barrenness, and welcomed the new life of spring. The flowers then are fertilized and the fruits develop over summer. This is a very clear and simple process to follow.
Jesus is saying that when the end times come it will be clear — there will be no doubt in your mind that this is the beginning of the end and you will be able to prepare for it. Paul similarly understands the Second Coming as an event that will be devoid of alternative interpretations — every knee will bow and every tongue confess Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of the Father! (See Philippians 2:6-11).
I have absolutely no time for the alarmists who are predicting an imminent return of Jesus. I cannot see anything that fits the description of an indisputable sign that this is the case! Yes, we are living in the last times — have been for the last 2000 years, since the death and resurrection of Jesus when they began! There is precisely nothing to be gained by worrying about the date of the coming of Jesus again, as when the time comes, we will know it is the time. What we ought to do is prepare ourselves for that time because even if He should not come before we die, at least we will be ready to face judgment! After all, the end of the world means that Judgment Day is upon us. Let us stop fretting about these events and spend our energies in the more profitable task of living obedient to God’s will — the best preparation for the Day of Judgment. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Am I prepared to give an account of my life? If not, what am I going to do to rectify this situation?

Lord Jesus, You have come and brought salvation to the world. You will come and bring judgment the next time. Help me to live a life that will avoid harsh judgment.

St. Virgil, Bishop, pray for us.

5 December
Saturday TODAY'S READINGS:

A CHRISTmAS mISSIoN

“At the sight of the crowds, his heart was moved with pity for them because they were troubled and abandoned, like sheep without a shepherd.” – Matthew 9:36

Whenever Christmas season approaches, just the thought of the tiring parties and shopping can cause me to have a fleeting feeling of dread. But as the Advent season nears and we prepare with tinsel and lights, the realization of celebrating Jesus’ birthday brings me joy. The advent wreath we have at home becomes a reminder to me about the message of Christmas — hope, joy and peace.
For our relatives who come to stay in our home for Christmas, we give not just Christmas gifts; we share about the Giver of the gifts Himself — the Reason for the season and the Heart of Christmas. With this as a mission, even our company Christmas parties are filled with the true joyful spirit as we celebrate with food, entertainment and games.
The shopping and giving of gifts take on more meaning as we look at the season as a time of Christ’s visitation. So this Christmas, let’s revisit the “stable” and receive His Spirit. Let’s receive, too, His mission that as we receive, we share His gift — love. Rolly España

REFLECTION:
Is Christmas becoming a dreadful season of tiring and meaningless activities? What do you need to change to make it more meaningful?

Lord, I kneel before You at the stable and give You my adoration. You showed me the true meaning of the word love. I pray that I may share Your love with others this Christmas.

-----------------

Second Sunday of Advent

1st READING

Peace can only come through integrity; integrity can exist only when the truth is embraced as the highest good. This is our call as Christians — to live truthful lives and, through the integrity of our lives, bring about peace. The world all over is in turmoil largely because the majority of the world does not know Jesus Christ. Only in coming to know Jesus are we properly introduced to the truth in such a way that we are empowered to embrace and live it.

Baruch 5:1-9
1 Jerusalem, take off your robe of mourning and misery; put on the splendor of glory from God forever: 2 Wrapped in the cloak of justice from God, bear on your head the mitre that displays the glory of the eternal name. 3 For God will show all the earth your splendor: 4 you will be named by God forever the peace of justice, the glory of God’s worship. 5 Up, Jerusalem! stand upon the heights; look to the east and see your children gathered from the east and the west at the word of the Holy One, rejoicing that they are remembered by God. 6 Led away on foot by their enemies they left you: but God will bring them back to you borne aloft in glory as on royal thrones. 7 For God has commanded that every lofty mountain be made low, and that the age-old depths and gorges be filled to level ground, that Israel may advance secure in the glory of God. 8 The forests and every fragrant kind of tree have overshadowed Israel at God’s command; 9 for God is leading Israel in joy by the light of his glory, with his mercy and justice for company.

P S A L M

Psalm 126:1-2. 2-3. 4-5. 6 (3)
R: The Lord has done great things for us; we are filled with joy.
1 When the LORD brought back the captives of Zion, we were like men dreaming. 2 Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with rejoicing. (R) Then they said among the nations, “The LORD has done great things for them.” 3 The LORD has done great things for us; we are glad indeed. (R) 4 Restore our fortunes, O LORD, like the torrents in the southern desert. 5 Those that sow in tears shall reap rejoicing. (R) 6 Although they go forth weeping, carrying the seed to be sown, they shall come back rejoicing, carrying their sheaves. (R)

2nd READING

Paul prays for an increase in the love between people in the Philippian community. This prayer and action must extend beyond our communities to embrace those outside them as well. This is what living the Gospel is all about. People will then come to know we are Christians through the love we have for each other and also for those outside our faith circle as well.

Philippians 1:4-6. 8-11
4 Brothers and sisters: I pray always with joy in my every prayer for all of you, 5 because of your partnership for the gospel from the first day until now. 6 I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work in you will continue to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus. 8 God is my witness, how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus. 9 And this is my prayer: that your love may increase ever more and more in knowledge and every kind of perception, 10 to discern what is of value, so that you may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God.

G O S P E L

In John the Baptist, the Jewish understanding of prophecy is revived. There has not been a prophet for hundreds of years; then here comes John, from out of the desert wilderness, proclaiming a baptism of personal repentance of sin. This must have caused a huge commotion among the leaders of the Jews. Who is this man? What authority does he have? At least he is the son of a former high priest. Similar questions will be asked of Jesus when He begins His ministry in earnest. John was beheaded. Was this a sign of the treatment Jesus would receive?

Luke 3:1-6
1 In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, and Herod was tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias was tetrarch of Abilene, 2 during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John the son of Zechariah in the desert. 3 He went throughout the whole region of the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins, 4 as it is written in the book of the words of the prophet Isaiah: “A voice of one crying out in the desert: ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths. 5 Every valley shall be filled and every mountain and hill shall be made low. The winding roads shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth, 6 and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.’ ”

my reflections
think:Peace can only come through integrity; integrity can exist only when the truth is embraced as the highest good.

--------------------

pRAy fOR mORe lAbOReRs in gOd’s kingdOm

This was one realization that I had during the celebration of Vocation month last year.
The reason why most of us go to church is because we know that God wants us to, and that it is our obligation as Catholic Christians to worship on Sundays. We all pray, we share our blessings to the church and to others; we forgive and turn the other cheek because we have been taught that it is the right thing to do. Or more clearly, because it is what Jesus tells us to do.
Most of the “good” things that we have been doing all along since we were young are things that we know Jesus wants us to do. Those are clear fulfillment of the direct instructions coming from our Lord.
But try to give this a thought. How many of us really take to heart Jesus’ command in today’s Gospel to “ask the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest,” considering that this too is a direct command coming from Jesus himself?
I mean, we pray before sleeping, before and after eating, etc., but how many of us really pray to God for more workers in His vineyard? Jesus recognized the need then. The realities are still the same today — more laborers are still needed to continue God’s work in today’s world. So add one more task in your Christian to-do list. Always include in your prayers your plea to God to send more laborers, for the harvest is great but the laborers are few. Fr. Sandy V. Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
The least I can do to help build the Kingdom of God is to pray for more laborers, for the harvest is great but the laborers are few.

Lord Jesus, may the fire of Your love touch the hearts of many men and women and may they respond to it with total giving of their lives in service to You.

St. Sabas, Abbot, pray for us.

7 December
Monday

VISIoNS of HoPE

“The burning sands will become pools, and the thirsty ground, springs of water…” – Isaiah 35:7

The Bible is replete with vivid mental pictures and dramatic descriptions of exciting scenes and of amazing things to come. “The desert and the parched land will exult; the steppe (grassland) will rejoice and bloom. They will bloom with abundant flowers, and rejoice with joyful song… Then will the lame leap like a stag and the tongue of the dumb will sing. Streams will burst forth in the desert and rivers in the steppe…”
I don’t know about you but I want to be in this place or in this event or in this new earth or heaven or whatever you call it. I’m simply thrilled about these kinds of visions. And I’m going to pray and receive God’s love and grace every day and work out things on my end by loving others and inviting them to be part of this.
Maybe the events described by Isaiah are not literal. Maybe they’re symbolic of something else.
But one thing is for sure. The Word of God speaks of hope. And it paints a beautiful vision of it.
That vision of hope — of being with God while here on earth or eternally in heaven — isenough for me to be caught in it. Alvin Barcelona

REFLECTION:
What visions of hope do you have that excite and thrill you? Ask God for those visions.

Dear Lord, grant me beautiful visions of hope that I can focus on and pursue. Ultimately, let my vision be You, O God — the perfect and most beautiful vision of all! Amen.

1st READING

There is something wonderful about the image of water gushing in the desert. The parched desert lands will one day have enough water to bring forth life! This is an image of unredeemed humanity where the desert stands for the godless person caught up in sin and the water is the love and forgiveness of God being poured into the hearts of sinful people.

Isaiah 35:1-10
1 The desert and the parched land will exult; the steppe will rejoice and bloom. 2 They will bloom with abundant flowers, and rejoice with joyful song. The glory of Lebanon will be given to them, the splendor of Carmel and Sharon; they will see the glory of the LORD, the splendor of our God. 3 Strengthen the hands that are feeble, make firm the knees that are weak,4 say to those whose hearts are frightened: Be strong, fear not! Here is your God, he comes with vindication; with divine recompense he comes to save you. 5 Then will the eyes of the blind be opened, the ears of the deaf be cleared; 6 then will the lame leap like a stag, then the tongue of the dumb will sing. Streams will burst forth in the desert, and rivers in the steppe. 7 The burning sands will become pools, and the thirsty ground, springs of water; the abode where jackals lurk will be a marsh for the reed and papyrus.8 A highway will be there, called the holy way; no one unclean may passover it, nor fools go astray on it. 9 No lion will be there, nor beast of prey go up to be met upon it. It is for those with a journey to make, and on it the redeemed will walk. 10 Those whom the LORD has ransomed will return and enter Zion singing, crowned with everlasting joy; they will meet with joy and gladness, sorrow and mourning will flee.

P S A L M

Psalm 85:9ab and 10. 11-12. 13-14
R: Our God will come to save us!
8 [9] I will hear what God proclaims; the LORD—for he proclaims peace. 9 [10] Near indeed is his salvation to those who fear him, glory dwelling in our land. (R) 10 [11] Kindness and truth shall meet; justice and peace shall kiss. 11 [12] Truth shall spring out of the earth, and justice shall look down from heaven. (R) 12 [13] The LORD himself will give his benefits; our land shall yield its increase. 13 [14] Justice shall walk before him, and salvation, along the way of his steps. (R)

G O S P E L

How much do you want to receive the healing power of the Word of God? This is the question that these men must have asked themselves. They then decided that they were willing to incur the wrath of the owner of the home and removed the roofof the house in order to get their friend into the presence of Jesus. Now that sort of commitment is worth following up, and so Jesus healed the paralytic they had brought to Him.

Luke 5:17-26
17 One day as Jesus was teaching, Pharisees and teachers of the law were sitting there who had come from every village of Galilee and Judea and Jerusalem, and the power of the Lord was with him for healing. 18 And some men brought on a stretcher a man who was paralyzed; they were trying to bring him in and set him in his presence. 19 But not finding a way to bringhim in because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and lowered him on the stretcher through the tiles into the middle in front of Jesus. 20 When he saw their faith, he said, “As for you, your sins are forgiven.” 21 Then the scribes and Pharisees began to ask themselves, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who but God alone can forgive sins?” 22 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them in reply, “What are you thinking in your hearts? 23 Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Rise and walk’? 24 But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins” — he said to the man who was paralyzed, “I say to you, rise, pick up your stretcher, and go home.” 25 He stood up immediately before them, picked up what he had been lying on, and went home, glorifying God. 26 Then astonishment seized them all and they glorified God, and, struck with awe, they said, “We have seen incredible things today.”

my reflections
think: How much do you want to receive the healing power of the Word of God?

the pOWeR Of inteRcessiOn

I have gotten accustomed to people coming to request for prayers. “Father, please pray for my husband so that he too can become active in our church as I am.” “Father, please pray for my son who’s going to take the bar.” In all these cases it is very clear that a priest can also function as an intercessor.
That is the same wisdom that we have when we approach particular saints for different intentions. We ask St. Anthony’s intercession for things that we have lost. We seek St.Isidore to help us make the produce of our land bountiful. We come to our Blessed Mother to bring uscloser to her son.
While people from different faith affiliations dispute this, the power of “intercession” cannot be denied. Today’s Gospel shows us so: the gift of healing was bestowed to a paralytic man because his intercessors made it possible for him to approach Jesus more closely.
Hence, we offer Masses for the dead, trusting that as we intercede for them to the Father, He will look kindly on them and finally accept them to His Kingdom. We pray over birthday celebrators as we ask God to shower them with His blessings as they thank Him for the gift of life.We hold novenas seeking favourable responses from our patron saints who come before the father on our behalf.
Like the paralytic man’s friends, our saints act as our intercessors to the Father just as your pastor, friends and the entire church do when they pray for you. Fr. Sandy V. Enhaynes

Reflection Question:
Have I interceded for anyone lately, whether in prayer or in physically leading someone to the sacraments?

Lord Jesus, may I always be conscious of my responsibility to lead people closer to You.

St. Ambrose, Bishop and Doctor, pray for us.

when you have vision..

you have an ambition!

and that makes gOD is the center in our heart with INSPIRATION...

Nice post... Salamat sa pag share :thumbsup: GOD BLESS US

December
Monday

Feast of the Holy Innocents

SHoulD BE folloWED

“When Herod realized that he had been deceived by the magi, he became furious. He ordered the massacre of all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity.” – Matthew 2:16

Resistance. Recrimination. Disfavor. All that I met when I chose to serve the Lord as full-time lay worker. And coming from my loved ones, it brought me pain. It came to a point when my only sibling disowned me after I failed to attend his wedding. But all’s well that ends well. Though my family and I are still healing, our relationship has improved.
When Joseph obeyed the angel’s instruction to bring his family to Egypt, he probably never thought that act would bring about the massacre of all infant boys in Bethlehem. He was just obeying the angel’s instruction. When we try to follow the Lord like Joseph did, we would sometimes feel dismayed over what it brings us. Instead of joy, it seems pain and isolation follow our obedience to God. And yet, if we see the example of the Holy Family, we see that their obedience brought about everyone’s salvation.
As the New Year approaches, there will be questions and challenges that will confront us. Many times we won’t know the exact result but uncertainty should not stop us from following the Lord. After all, He’s the One who can see how all things will end. Joy Sosoban

REFLECTION:
“Unless he obeys, a man cannot believe.” (Dietrich Bonhoeffer)

Strengthen my weak will, O Lord, and enable me to obey You.

1st READING

Love is the only answer we can give when challenged with the horror of sin and death. As we remember the death of the Holy Innocents today, we remember also all those lives aborted before they had the chance to live. I still find it amazing how anyone can defend the practice of abortion as the right of the woman or society to regulate life! If we can justify abortion, we can justify any sort of killing of humans. If the unborn are not innocent victims, what sense is there to the word ‘innocent’ when applied to anyone else?

1 John 1:5–2:2
5 Beloved: This is the message that we have heard from him and proclaim to you: God is light, and in him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we say, “We have fellowship with him,” while we continue to walk in darkness, we lie and do not act in truth. 7 But if we walk in the light as he is in the light, then we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of his Son Jesus cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say, “We are without sin,” we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we acknowledge our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from every wrongdoing. 10 If we say, “We have not sinned,” we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. 2: 1 My children, I am writing this to you so that you may not commit sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous one. 2 He is expiation for our sins, and not for our sins only but for those of the whole world.

P S A L M

Psalm 124:2-3. 4-5. 7b-8
R: Our soul has been rescued like a bird from the fowler’s snare.
2 Had not the LORD been with us — when men rose up against us, 3 then would they have swallowed us alive. When their fury was inflamed against us. (R) 4 Then would the waters have overwhelmed us; the torrent would have swept over us; 5 over us then would have swept the raging waters. (R) 7 Broken was the snare, and we were freed. 8 Our help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth. (R)

G O S P E L

Herod is scared of the possibility of a rival claimant to his kingship so he has innocent children slaughtered. How brave is he? Yet society does the same every day, thousands of times over in the abortion clinics of the western world and the backyard clinics of the poor nations. It is a scandal and our society will be held accountable for it. There is a cost involved in our nihilistic pursuit of pleasure; the cost is innocent life and the souls and peace of mind of those who are involved.

Matthew 2:13-18
13 When the magi had departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, “Rise, take the child and his mother, flee to Egypt, and stay there until I tell you. Herod is going to search for the child to destroy him.” 14 Joseph rose and took the child and his mother by night and departed for Egypt. 15 He stayed there until the death of Herod, that what the Lord had said through the prophet might be fulfilled, “Out of Egypt I called my son.” 16 When Herod realized that he had been deceived by the magi, he became furious. He ordered the massacre of all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had ascertained from the magi. 17 Then was fulfilled what had been said through Jeremiah the prophet: 18 “A voice was heard in Ramah, sobbing and loud lamentation; Rachel weeping for her children, and she would not be consoled, since they were no more.”

my reflections
think:There is a cost involved in our nihilistic pursuit of pleasure; the cost is innocent life and the souls and peace of mind of those who are involved.

OutWitting Wickedness

There is an interesting James Taylor song, part of which goes, “Steer clear of royal welcomes / Avoid a big to-do / A king who would slaughter the innocents / Will not cut a deal for you / . . . / But Herod’s always out there / He’s got our cards on file / It’s a lead pipe cinch, if we give an inch / Old Herod likes to take a mile.”
The song refers, of course, to the episode narrated in today’s Gospel. Thanks to a dream, the Magi became wary of King Herod, and they did not cooperate with his crafty schemes to kill the newborn baby Jesus. These wise men eventually turn the tables on Herod (wise indeed they were), through their going “home by another way” (which, by the way, is the title of the song).
But the real focus of today’s commemoration is not really King Herod. He may have been the evil “mastermind” behind the horrific happening. But it is to the credit of those nameless children that in their innocence, they had borne a heroic witness to the Baby Jesus, their own contemporary and peer. Perhaps the Holy Innocents stand for the present-day blameless children who have perished through abortion, starvation, calamities, and war. For them we offer our prayers and sacrifices today in a spirit of supplication and amends.
And perhaps too, the pranks and practical jokes which take place on this Holy Innocents’ Day will serve as symbols to remind us of the moral necessity to defy (indeed, to outwit) the wickedness menacing innocent lives. Fr. Martin Macasaet, SDB

Reflection Question:
How do I treat the innocent people, particularly children, around me? How do I defend them from the wickedness of the world?

Heavenly Father, we pray for the innocent and blameless children who were victims of abortion, starvation, calamities, accidents and war. May they enjoy Your care and protection that they did not experience here on earth.

Holy Innocents, Martyrs, pray for us.

29 December
Tuesday

mESSAGE RECEIVED AND SENT

“It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit…” – Luke 2:26

In one prayer meeting, I felt an urge from the Lord to proclaim this message: “There is a sister here who is suffering from low self-worth. She feels unloved because of the many rejections she had in her life. The Lord is telling you that He loves you so much. Even if everybody rejects you, He is here waiting for you with open arms to embrace you.” I prayed to the Lord that night to confirm to me the message. The following day, a sister in community called and requested for a one-on-one. I had no idea what her concerns were. When we met, she poured out to me the things that were bothering her. I probed further to discover the root of the problem. It dawned on me that this was the sister that God was referring to.
God chose to reveal His message to me so I could pray for this person even if at first I didn’t know who she was and later to minister to her. Let us be sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit and respond to His prompting so that we may be able to fulfil God’s purpose.Judith Concepcion

REFLECTION:
What message have you received from the Lord that you have not yet acted upon? Act now before it’s too late.

Lord, I open myself to Your leading. Show me what I should do.

1st READING

We are called to live according to the demands of love and not just how we feel about any given situation. Love is a choice we must make over and over again if we are to create a culture of life. There is no true human living without love. We are close to moral implosion in our society today as we become more and more inwardly focused according to the individualism that governs our age. We can change this by learning to love and live for others and not just ourselves!

1 John 2:3-11
3 Beloved: The way we may be sure that we know him is to keep his commandments. 4 Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps his word, the love of God is truly perfected in him. This is the way we may know that we are in union with him: 6 whoever claims to abide in him ought to live [just] as he lived. 7 Beloved, I am writing no new commandment to you but an old commandment that you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word that you have heard. 8 And yet I do write a new commandment to you, which holds true in him and among you, for the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining. 9 Whoever says he is in the light, yet hates his brother, is still in the darkness. 10 Whoever loves his brother remains in the light, and there is nothing in him to cause a fall. 11 Whoever hates his brother is in darkness; he walks in darkness and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

P S A L M

Psalm 96:1-2a. 2b-3. 5b-6
R: Let the heavens be glad and the earth rejoice!
1 Sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all you lands. 2 Sing to the LORD; bless his name. (R) Announce his salvation, day after day. 3 Tell his glory among the nations; among all peoples, his wondrous deeds. (R) 5 The LORD made the heavens. 6 Splendor and majesty go before him; praise and grandeur are in his sanctuary. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus was never a rebel for the sake of being a rebel. Where it was not a compromise to the Gospel, He was quite willing to embrace the laws of Jewish society. The same ought to be true of the way we live the Gospel today. We should not seek to be different for the sake of being different but for the sake of remaining faithful to God’s call and the truth of the Gospel. Let us never be ashamed of doing this while at the same time participating as fully as we can in our local society.

Luke 2:22-35
22 When the days were completed for their purification according to the law of Moses, they took him up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord, 23 just as it is written in the law of the Lord, “Every male that opens the womb shall be consecrated to the Lord,” 24 and to offer the sacrifice of “a pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons,” in accordance with the dictate in the law of the Lord. 25 Now there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon. This man was righteous and devout, awaiting the consolation of Israel, and the holy Spirit was upon him. 26 It had been revealed to him by the holy Spirit that he should not see death before he had seen the Messiah of the Lord. 27 He came in the Spirit into the temple; and when the parents brought in the child Jesus to perform the custom of the law in regard to him, 28 he took him into his arms and blessed God, saying: 29 “Now, Master, you may let your servant go in peace, according to your word, 30 for my eyes have seen your salvation, 31 which you prepared in sight of all the peoples, 32 a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and glory for your people Israel.” 33 The child’s father and mother were amazed at what was said about him; 34 and Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, “Behold, this child is destined for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be contradicted 35 (and you yourself a sword will pierce) so that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.”

my reflections
think:Love is a choice we must make over and over again if we are to create a culture of life.

A nice stORy thAt Asks hARd QuestiOns

St. Luke has been said to be an artist, a painter. Icons of Mary in Rome, in Poland and other places are attributed to him. Where does this tradition come from? He surely did not paint even one picture with a brush, but with his pen he “painted” the most beautiful images of the Holy Family. Countless artists have been inspired by his vivid descriptions of scenes. Reading how he describes the Holy Family bringing the Infant Jesus to the Temple, the scene becomes alive before our eyes.
But Luke was not an emotional writer at all. Behind his apparently idyllic stories, we discover harsh realities and strong messages for his Today’s Gospel passage offers us to reflect on the Presentation scene. The purest of all women in human history submits herself to the Jewish ritual of purification. This makes me look at myself and all of us. Should we sinners not be more than willing to submit ourselves frequently and humbly to the purifying sacrament of reconciliation? Luke then emphasizes that Mary and Joseph did everything ”according to the law.” They not only brought their firstborn son to the Temple to present him to God as their custom dictated. They did so out of love for God. Again St. Luke makes us ask ourselves: How obedient am I to the law? I may not violate any civil law (except traffic laws and rules which is bad enough) but what about God’s laws, the Ten Commandments? What about the laws of the Church based on God’s law? What about Christ’s basic law to love God AND neighbor?
In these days between “Silent Night” and New Year’s firecrackers, St. Luke makes us sit down and reflect onour lives in the light of the Holy Family. May the answers to his questions help us to begin the New Year with the strong determination to leave the old behind and follow the example of the Holy Family. Fr. Rudy Horst, SVD

Reflection Question:
How is my attitude towards he law of God and that of the Church? Am I aware enough of my sinfulness and need of purification through the sacrament of reconciliation?

Holy Family, Jesus, Mary and Joseph, your example inspires me to reflect on my attitude throughout this year. I realize there is much lacking in my dedication, obedience and love for God. Bless me and help me to follow your example in the new year.

St. Thomas Becket, Bishop and Martyr, pray for us.

4 January
Monday

MASSAGE CHAIR, ANYONE?

We receive from him whatever we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. – 1 John 3:22

In June 2008, I was asked to make the souvenir program for the Light of Jesus 28th anniversary celebration.
I incurred some miscellaneous expenses, but I just rolled my eyes and bragged to God, “It’s OK, Lord. This one’s for you.”
But, as we always say in community, the Lord will not be out-given. Sometime in May, I won a massage chair at a raffle. I’d been praying for a laptop, not a massage chair, so I sent e-mails to friends to sell my prize.
There were no takers until September 6, 2008. On this day we sent the souvenir magazine to press. On this day, too, a brother in community bought my massage chair — at the amount I needed for my laptop! It then occurred to me: Even before I accepted the job for the community, God had already paid me — more than my asking price for editing. Yes, as the words of God in today’s reading put it: “We receive from him whatever we ask, because we obey his commands and do what pleases him.” Cynthia Santiago ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Have you asked something from the Lord lately? Have you also been obeying His commands?

Lord, may I obey You not in exchange for things I need, but because I just love You so!

1st READING

Abiding in Jesus is crucial to the development of our spiritual lives. We must be committed to this task and it takes time and effort. Nothing will be gained without this effort. Thus we must first answer the question as to whether or not we are willing to really live a life of Christian discipleship. A healthy spiritual life will not be handed to us on a platter. We must choose to work for it and then live it.

1 John 3:22-4:6
22 Beloved: We receive from him whatever we ask, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him. 23 And his commandment is this: we should believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and love one another just as he commanded us. 24 Those who keep his commandments remain in him, and he in them, and the way we know that he remains in us is from the Spirit that he gave us. 4: 1 Beloved, do not trust every spirit but test the spirits to see whether they belong to God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can know the Spirit of God: every spirit that acknowledges Jesus Christ come in the flesh be longs to God, 3 and every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus does not belong to God. This is the spirit of the antichrist that, as you heard, is to come, but in fact is already in the world. 4 You belong to God, children, and you have conquered them, for the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 5 They belong to the world; accordingly, their teaching belongs to the world, and the world listens to them. 6 We belong to God, and anyone who knows God listens to us, while anyone who does not belong to God refuses to hear us. This is how we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of deceit.

P S A L M

Psalm 2:7bc-8, 10-12a
R: I will give you all the nations for an inheritance.
7 The LORD said to me, “You are my son; this day I have begotten you. 8 Ask of me and I will give you the nations for an inheritance and the ends of the earth for your possession.” (R) 10 And now, O kings, give heed; take warning, you rulers of the earth. 11 Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice before him; with trembling 12 rejoice. (R)

G O S P E L

The arrest and death of John the Baptist precipitates Jesus into His ministry. The forerunner has prepared the way and now it is time for Jesus to do what He has been sent by the Father to do. We all reach watershed moments in our lives where we know it is time for a change. Sometimes there are clear signs that this is the case, other times we just know within that it is time. Are we responding in obedience to these calls? It is never easy to change direction. It will mean moving out of our comfort zones and into the realm where the Holy Spirit is the boss.

Matthew 4:12-17, 23-25
12 When Jesus heard that John had been arrested, he withdrew to Galilee. 13 He left Nazareth and went to live in Capernaum by the sea, in the region of Zebulun and Naphtali, 14 that what had been said through Isaiah the prophet might be fulfilled: 15 “Land of Zebulun and land of Naphtali, the way to the sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles, 16 the people who sit in darkness have seen a great light, on those dwelling in a land overshadowed by death light has arisen.” 17 From that time on, Jesus began to preach and say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” 23 He went around all of Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and curing every disease and illness among the people. 24 His fame spread to all of Syria, and they brought to him all who were sick with various diseases and racked with pain, those who were possessed, lunatics, and paralytics, and he cured them. 25 And great crowds from Galilee, the Decapolis, Jerusalem, and Judea, and from beyond the Jordan followed him.

my reflections
think: The call to change direction will mean moving out of our comfort zones and into the realm where the Holy Spirit is the boss.

TESTING THE SPIRITS WE ENCOUNTER

In our lives, we will encounter many different spirits, some of whom come from God and many that do not. How will we know the origin of the spirits we encounter? That is the $64,000 question, or more correctly, the question that has very large ramifications for our eternal life. John encourages his community to “test the spirits” because he knows there are many that we should not trust.
We test the various spirits we encounter in a number of ways, the most important of which are the following: First, we must test them against the truths revealed to us in the Scriptures. If they are encouraging us to do things against the Word of God or indeed against anything written in the Word of God, then we should reject them outright. Secondly, we test the spirits against the Traditions of the Church. If the spirits recommend to us actions or ideas that are not consonant with the Tradition of the Church we can know that they are not from God. Thirdly, we should test anything we encounter against the teaching of the Church. This is precisely why God has given us the bishops as the arbiters of moral and doctrinal truth.
If any spirit we encounter can stand up to these three tests, we can be fairly sure that we are not going to be led astray. Of course, even if the spirit we are following happens to be from God, we can still stray from the way of God in our lives through a misinterpretation or misapplication of what the spirit is saying. This is why it is good for us to live and work in the midst of a community of believers who can serve as a fourth check on the things we are giving our lives to in service.
Common sense is also a fairly good judge of a spirit. As long as we are truly living a spiritual life and seeking to grow in holiness, it is unlikely that we will be too easily led astray. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Do I tend to dwell on the fringes of the groups I belong to in the Church or am I living in the heart of the Church?

Holy Spirit, help me to discern well the spirits I encounter so that the only voice I listen to will be based on Your Spirit — Yours that is given to me to guide me in the way of truth.

St. Dafrosa, pray for us.

8 January
Friday

Special Pass

“Whoever possesses the Son has life; whoever does not possess the Son of God does not have life.” – 1 John 5:12

I was lining up to watch a concert when I noticed an old friend entering the VIP lane. I squeezed through the crowd and called out her name hoping I would get her attention. Good thing she recognized me and asked me to go in with her. As we approached the entrance, the attendant gave me a puzzled look but my friend was quick to say, “She’s with me.” In a breeze, I was ushered in and was seated alongside other VIPs.
Isn’t it nice when we are favored and get special attention? Christ came down and offered His life for us so we can have a special access to the Father. Jesus is our special pass to eternal life. But we must call out His name despite the many hurdles ahead of us, so that He would recognize and acknowledge us when it is time to come face to face with God.
What a joy it would be to hear Jesus say, “She’s with me.” And with all the angels rejoicing in heaven I would find myself in God’s loving embrace.Jane Gonzales ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Christ is the key to God. Is He in the center of your life?

Father in heaven, thank You for giving me access to Your wonderful blessings through Your Son Jesus. Amen.

1st READING

The world—all the powers we experience that are not supportive of the life of the Gospel — is attempting to influence us to live according to its own values and priorities. It is in this sense that we must overcome it and choose to live according to a different set of values, namely those of the Kingdom of God. It is the Gospel truth that must govern our decision-making; it is God and His will that we must prioritize.

1 John 5:5-13
5 Beloved: Who indeed is the victor over the world but the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? 6 This is the one who came through water and blood, Jesus Christ, not by water alone, but by water and blood. The Spirit is the one that testifies, and the Spirit is truth. 7 So there are three that testify, 8 the Spirit, the water, and the blood, and the three are of one accord. 9 If we accept human testimony, the testimony of God is surely greater. Now the testimony of God is this, that he has testified on behalf of his Son. 10 Whoever believes in the Son of God has this testimony within himself. Whoever does not believe God has made him a liar by not believing the testimony God has given about his Son. 11 And this is the testimony: God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever possesses the Son has life; whoever does not possess the Son of God does not have life. 13 I write these things to you so that you may know that you have eternal life, you who believe in the name of the Son of God.

P S A L M

Psalm 147:12-13, 14-15, 19-20
R: Praise the Lord, Jerusalem.
12 Glorify the LORD, O Jerusalem; praise your God, O Zion. 13 For he has strengthened the bars of your gates; he has blessed your children within you. (R) 14 He has granted peace in your borders; with the best of wheat he fills you. 15 He sends forth his command to the earth; swiftly runs his word! (R) 19 He has proclaimed his word to Jacob, his statutes and his ordinances to Israel. 20 He has not done thus for any other nation; his ordinances he has not made known to them. Alleluia. (R)

G O S P E L

The miracles that Jesus worked were attention-getters. But take note that Jesus is not interested in the attention for Himself and His own ego-building. He always directs the working of miracles towards the building of the Kingdom of God. It is the glory of the Father that is the focus. One good test of a miracle worker in today’s Church is whether or not he draws attention to himself and his own projects rather than giving everything for the glory of God.

Luke 5:12-16
12 It happened that there was a man full of leprosy in one of the towns where he was; and when he saw Jesus, he fell prostrate, pleaded with him, and said, “Lord, if you wish, you can make me clean.” 13 Jesus stretched out his hand, touched him, and said, “I do will it. Be made clean.” And the leprosy left him immediately. 14 Then he ordered him not to tell anyone, but “Go, show yourself to the priest and offer for your cleansing what Moses prescribed; that will be proof for them.” 15 The report about him spread all the more, and great crowds assembled to listen to him and to be cured of their ailments, 16 but he would withdraw to deserted places to pray.

my reflections
t h i n k : I t is the Gospel truth that must govern our decision-making; it is God and His will that we must prioritize.

GIVING WITNESS TO THE TRUTH

When it comes to matters of faith the truth is all-important — it is only the truth that will set us free. We live in a world that offers all sorts of answers to the various problems and challenges of life. The issue at stake is whether or not we are interested in the truth or we are going to be seduced by the many promises of the world, and ultimately be disappointed when they fail to materialize. It is good to gain all the material things the world has to offer, but will they lead you to everlasting life? No, they cannot; only the truth of faith in Jesus Christ can do that.
The three witnesses that John mentions here — water, blood and the Spirit — are important aspects of the truth of the Gospel. It is through the waters of baptism that we receive the fruits of the shedding of the blood of Christ and begin to live the new life of the Spirit of God. Eternal life cannot be gained without entering into and experiencing what these three have to offer. Whether we like it or not, we have to understand and surrender to the truth to which they testify: that our salvation comes through Christ and through Him alone.
The world does not want us to embrace this truth as it will direct us on a path and lifestyle that is contrary to its materialistic principles. We hear all sorts of worries about the state of the earth and how we will have to change our lifestyle if we want the earth to sustain human life for the long term. The environmental movement has been making noises to this end for decades now. I firmly believe that the only way to make these changes is to recognize that there is more to life than the here and now; only then will people accept that we have a moral responsibility to respect the gift of the world in which we live. If all we have is our mortal life on earth, why should anyone bother about anything other than that? Only when we live for eternal life will we embrace the call to live a moral life.Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Do I give witness to the truth that there is more to life than the here and now? Am I living for eternal life or just for the present moment?

Holy Spirit, give me the strength and courage to live the moral life of a disciple of Jesus so that I will always give witness to the greater truths of eternal life.

St. Albert of Cashel, pray for us.

9 January
Saturday

Knowing One’s Position in Mission

“You yourselves can testify that I said, ‘I am not the Messiah, but that I was sent before him.’” – John 3:28

St. John knew exactly his role with respect to Jesus. He never took the credit that the people were willingly giving him.
In life, there will be times when we will be tempted to grab the recognition due to someone else. We do this in our desire to lift up ourselves or to make people believe that we are better than others, even if it means stepping on others’ toes.
But achieving success this way spells guaranteed frustration and emptiness. True success is not just when you have personally grown in wisdom and humility but when others grew as much because of you.
Let pleasing God be our top priority in all that we do. Then, we can be sure that things will fall into their rightful places.Jess Santos ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Have we stepped on others’ toes just to inch closer to our personal goals?

Dear God, help me to be sensitive when it comes to claiming recognition that’s not my own. Grant me the strength and courage to do the right thing every time I am faced with this situation, in Jesus’ name. Amen.

1st READING

It is the will of God that is important, not our own, no matter how holy we may judge our own desires to be. One of the most common mistakes that Christians make is confusing their own will with that of God. The saints witness to us that the will of God is usually different from our own as we are too often caught up with our own desires and wants. Let us pray for the grace to die to our own desires and to embrace the will of God fully in our lives.

1 John 5:14-21
14 Beloved: We have this confidence in him, that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us in regard to whatever we ask, we know that what we have asked him for is ours. 16 If anyone sees his brother sinning, if the sin is not deadly, he should pray to God and he will give him life. This is only for those whose sin is not deadly. There is such a thing as deadly sin, about which I do not say that you should pray. 17 All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not deadly. 18 We know that no one begotten by God sins; but the one begotten by God he protects, and the evil one cannot touch him. 19 We know that we belong to God, and the whole world is under the power of the evil one. 20 We also know that the Son of God has come and has given us discernment to know the one who is true. And we are in the one who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. 21 Children, be on your guard against idols.

P S A L M

Psalm 149:1-2, 3-4, 5, 6a, 9b
R: The Lord takes delight in his people.
1 Sing to the LORD a new song of praise in the assembly of the faithful. 2 Let Israel be glad in their maker, let the children of Zion rejoice in their king. (R) 3 Let them praise his name in the festive dance, let them sing praise to him with timbrel and harp. 4 For the LORD loves his people, and he adorns the lowly with victory. (R) 5 Let the faithful exult in glory; let them sing for joy upon their couches; 6 let the high praises of God be in their throats. 9 This is the glory of all his faithful. Alleluia. (R)

G O S P E L
John knows that he is not the Messiah. This is an important truth that we all must acknowledge or else there is a danger that we will develop a messianic complex. This danger is greater for leaders, particularly those who are unable to let go and allow new leadership to develop within their communities. Only God can save. We must never believe that we are indispensable to God’s work. We must learn to acknowledge that we cannot achieve God’s will on our own.

John 3:22-30
22 Jesus and his disciples went into the region of Judea, where he spent some time with them baptizing. 23 John was also baptizing in Aenon near Salim, because there was an abundance of water there, and people came to be baptized, 24 for John had not yet been imprisoned. 25 Now a dispute arose between the disciples of John and a Jew about ceremonial washings. 26 So they came to John and said to him, “Rabbi, the one who was with you across the Jordan, to whom you testified, here he is baptizing and everyone is coming to him.” 27 John answered and said, “No one can receive anything except what has been given him from heaven. 28 You yourselves can testify that I said [that] I am not the Messiah, but that I was sent before him. 29 The one who has the bride is the bridegroom; the best man, who stands and listens for him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom’s voice. So this joy of mine has been made complete. 30 He must increase; I must decrease.”

my reflections
think: Let us pray for the grace to die to our own desires and to embrace the will of God fully in our lives.

HOW DO WE LIVE IN TRUE HUMILITY?

John the Baptist does not live under any illusions of self-importance. He is quite clear as he speaks to his disciples, “I must decrease and he, Jesus, must increase.” Herein lies the answer to the question I posed in the title of today’s reflection. The only way to grow in humility is to have the same realization that John had, namely, that it is Christ and His will that is the all-important reality for happiness and fulfilment in life. If we try to live apart from the graces and fulfillment that Christ offers, we will only be frustrated and disappointed. If we surrender to God’s will and decide to live for Him, we will know the fullness of life.
Obedience and surrender to the will of God are not always, in fact rarely are, the most attractive of the options presented to us daily. This is why the saints talk about living lives of faith and trust in God. It is only if we truly believe in Christ that we would be willing to entrust ourselves to His promises. One of the greatest challenges in the life of faith is that the promises of Christ in the Gospel are only fulfilled in eternal life, that is, they are beyond experience in this world. This means that we have to let go of our need to experience these promises now — to feel the fulfillment of God’s promises. It is highly likely, if not for certain, that such will only come when we pass from this life to the next.
Jesus has traveled this path of faith when He submitted Himself to His passion and death. It is the Father, or more correctly, the glory of the Father (see Romans 5) that raised Jesus from the dead. Jesus totally surrendered His life to the Father so that we will be saved. He has walked the path of faith to prove to us that it is possible. Are we willing to follow His example? Are we willing to decrease so that His promises can increase and become the substance of our lives?Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
What are the areas in my life where I need to grow in humility and surrender to the will of God?

Holy Spirit, grant me the grace to surrender my life to God and to allow Your grace to transform my life into a life of faith and trust in You.

St. Vitalicus, pray for us.

Pr 1:5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding
shall attain unto wise counsels:

ang matalino ay nagdaragdag pa ng karunungan, at payohan mo"t makikinig pa sayo

Back
Top Bottom