Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

God's Message For You Today

D thief cometh not but 4 2 steel, and 2 destroy:
I am come dat they might have life, and dat they might
have it more abundantly. "John 10:10

Pr 16:20 He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.

13 January
Wednesday

IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT

“Here I am. You called me.” – 1 Samuel 3:5

During a Light of Jesus retreat, the first ever my husband, Ed, and I attended, I really felt the presence of Jesus. I remember, like Samuel in today’s reading, I woke up in the middle of the night. I walked to the chapel of the retreat house, and there, weird as it may sound, I felt Jesus so close I could almost hear Him calling me to serve Him.
In succeeding retreats, through the talks, I heard again and again God’s call to serve Him. In one of those retreats, our leader, Bo Sanchez, led the evening prayer. He made us repeat after him his own prayer. I closed my eyes and followed Bo’s prayer, line after line, until I heard him say, “… give me a good night’s rest and grant me a martyr’s death.” Quickly, I opened my eyes and just glared at Bo.
I don’t know if I can ever be a martyr. But I can die little by little to my sins — that’s torture enough — and give my all to serve God. Again and again, I can only utter to the Lord the verse in today’s reading: “You called me, and here I am.” Cynthia Santiago ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Tell the Lord today: “You called me, and here I am.”

Lord, grant that I may never tire of answering Your call.

-----------------

1st READING

Samuel sets an example for us all as to how to enter into a life of discipleship. He is not only obedient to God’s call as he understands it, he is attentive and listening to the voice of God at all times. How else would he have heard His call when he was asleep? People often wonder why there are relatively so few people responding to calls to the priesthood and religious life today. Could it simply be that people are not listening to God and are more attentive to the call of the world?

1 Samuel 3:1-10, 19-20
1 During the time young Samuel was minister to the LORD under Eli, a revelation of the LORD was uncommon and vision infrequent. 2 One day Eli was asleep in his usual place. His eyes had lately grown so weak that he could not see. 3 The lamp of God was not yet extinguished, and Samuel was sleeping in the temple of the LORD where the ark of God was. 4 The LORD called to Samuel, who answered, “Here I am.” 5 He ran to Eli and said, “Here I am. You called me.” “I did not call you,” Eli said. “Go back to sleep.” So he went back to sleep. 6 Again the LORD called Samuel, who rose and went to Eli. “Here I am,” he said. “You called me.” But he answered, “I did not call you, my son. Go back to sleep.” 7 At that time Samuel was not familiar with the LORD, because the LORD had not revealed anything to him as yet. 8 The LORD called Samuel again, for the third time. Getting up and going to Eli, he said, “Here I am. You called me.” Then Eli understood that the LORD was calling the youth. 9 So he said to Samuel, “Go to sleep, and if you are called, reply, ‘Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.’ ” When Samuel went to sleep in his place, 10 the LORD came and revealed his presence, calling out as before, “Samuel, Samuel!” Samuel answered, “Speak, for your servant is listening.” 19 Samuel grew up, and the LORD was with him, not permitting any word of his to be without effect. 20 Thus all Israel from Dan to Beer-sheba came to know that Samuel was an accredited prophet of the LORD.

P S A L M
Psalm 40:2 and 5, 7-8a, 8b-9, 10
R: Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.
1 [2] I have waited, waited for the LORD, and he stooped toward me and heard my cry. 4 [5] Blessed the man who makes the LORD his trust; who turns not to idolatry or to those who stray after falsehood. (R) 6 [7] Sacrifice or oblation you wished not, but ears open to obedience you gave me. Burnt-offerings or sin-offerings you sought not; 7 [8] then said I, “Behold I come.” (R) “In the written scroll it is prescribed for me. 8 [9] To do your will, O my God, is my delight, and your law is within my heart!” (R) 9 [10] I announced your justice in the vast assembly; I did not restrain my lips, as you, O LORD, know. (R)

G O S P E L

We have already heard a summary of the Gospel and witnessed Jesus’ power over the demonic world. Now we read how He can heal all kinds of illnesses. It is important for us to reflect upon what Mark is doing here in that he is setting usup for a ministry that is totally unexpected. No one who has gone before Jesus has had a ministry of this depth and breadth, and it has hardly begun. Jesus is truly different from all who have gone before him.

Mark 1:29-39
29 On leaving the synagogue Jesus entered the house of Simon and Andrew with James and John. 30 Simon’s mother-in-law lay sick with a fever. They immediately told him about her. 31 He approached, grasped her hand, and helped her up. Then the fever left her and she waited on them. 32 When it was evening, after sunset, they brought to him all who were ill or possessed by demons. 33 The whole town was gathered at the door. 34 He cured many who were sick with various diseases, and he drove out many demons, not permitting them to speak because they knew him. 35 Rising very early before dawn, he left and went off to a deserted place, where he prayed. 36 Simon and those who were with him pursued him 37 and on finding him said, “Everyone is looking for you.” 38 He told them, “Let us go on to the nearby villages that I may preach there also. For this purpose have I come.” 39 So he went into their synagogues, preaching and driving out demons throughout the whole of Galilee.

my reflections
t h i n k : People often wonder why there are relatively so few people responding to calls to the priesthood and religious life today. Could it be simply that people are not listening to God and are more attentive to the call of the world?

---------------

DEVELOPING A HUNGER FOR GOD
One of the things we often read about in the Gospels is the hunger people have for God – their desire to receive whatever it is God has to offer them. It is this desire for God that we need to develop. One of the best ways to preserve our holiness is to always cry out to God from the depth of our hearts and to always seek whatever might be His next gift to us.
If we examine the lives of the saints, we will see that at the heart of their lives is their prayer. They are always faithful to their prayers and will not allow any temptation to take them away from their personal time with God. If they do allow such, they quickly recognize the error of their ways and return to God.
If we are smart, we will look at the lives of saints and say that this is what we want for our own lives. The question that then arises is whether or not we are willing to pay the price. What price, I hear you asking — the price of making prayer the central focus of our lives; the price of putting God before all else; the price of becoming serious about the call to discipleship.
If we are willing to make these decisions then we are at least at the beginning of the journey. The challenge that we now face is maintaining the hunger for God as we grow in discipleship. This will mean not allowing ourselves to get disillusioned when the path gets rough and difficult. There will be countless times when we will be tempted to give up because the path ahead looks impossible. However, we must resolve that we will never give up — the stakes are too high. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
What is the biggest challenge I face in growing in my faith? How do I intend to confront it?

Jesus, open my heart to the truth of Your love for me so that I will never lose the inspiration and drive to be Your disciple.

Blessed Yvette, pray for us.

Psa 37:4 Magpakaligaya ka naman sa Panginoon; at bibigyan ka niya ng nasa ng iyong puso.

14 January
Thursday

An Inconvenient Truth

It was a disastrous defeat, in which Israel lost thirty thousand foot soldiers. – 1 Samuel 4:10

On a train ride up to the Canadian Rocky Mountains, we passed through mountains upon mountains of evergreen trees. We also traversed through wide areas of pine forest that burned to the ground because of fires started by careless people or by thunderbolts. There were also parts where the pine trees were dying due to beetle infestation. But the tour director told us that it wasn’t all that bad. The fire and the infestation allowed new trees to grow, thus providing new vitality to the forest.
Such also is life. God allows us to go through devastating events like sickness, job losses or grievous sins. But through these trials, we come out better and stronger. Sirach 2:5 says, “In fire, gold is tested.” In all these tests, Jesus is always on our side. When the ordeal comes and turns severe, cling to His promise that we will never be tested beyond what we can take. In all these situations, He will show the way (1 Corinthians 10:13). Rolly España ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Even in the face of disaster, don’t stop believing in what the Lord has promised to you.

Lord, I come to You for I know that Your yoke is easy and Your burden is light.

------------------
1st READING

Not even the presence of the Ark of the Covenant in the hands of the Israelites was enough to gain them victory over the Philistines. Why is this so? The answer they came up with is that they were unfaithful to God — they were not living according to the Law of Moses and thus God was not with them in battle. What we learn from this defeat is the importance of living the life we are committed to. Magic charms or talismen, even something as great as the Ark, is not going to be of any help to us if we are not willing to be faithful to our calling.

1 Samuel 4:1-11
1 The Philistines gathered for an attack on Israel. Israel went out to engage them in battle and camped at Ebenezer, while the Philistines camped at Aphek. 2 The Philistines then drew up in battle formation against Israel. After a fierce struggle Israel was defeated by the Philistines, who slew about four thousand men on the battlefield. 3 When the troops retired to the camp, the elders of Israel said, “Why has the LORD permitted us to be defeated today by the Philistines? Let us fetch the ark of the LORD from Shiloh that it may go into battle among us and save us from the grasp of our enemies.” 4 So the people sent to Shiloh and brought from there the ark of the LORD of hosts, who is enthroned upon the cherubim. The two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, were with the ark of God. 5 When the ark of the LORD arrived in the camp, all Israel shouted so loudly that the earth resounded. 6 The Philistines, hearing the noise of shouting, asked, “What can this loud shouting in the camp of the Hebrews mean?” On learning that the ark of the LORD had come into the camp, 7 the Philistines were frightened. They said, “Gods have come to their camp.” They said also, “Woe to us! This has never happened before. 8 Woe to us! Who can deliver us from the power of these mighty gods? These are the gods that struck the Egyptians with various plagues and with pestilence. 9 Take courage and be manly, Philistines; otherwise you will become slaves to the Hebrews, as they were your slaves. So fight manfully!” 10 The Philistines fought and Israel was defeated; every man fled to his own tent. It was a disastrous defeat, in which Israel lost thirty thousand foot soldiers. 11 The ark of God was captured, and Eli’s two sons, Hophni and Phinehas, were among the dead.

P S A L M

Psalm 44:10-11, 14-15, 25-26
R: Redeem us, Lord, because of your mercy.
9 [10] Yet now you have cast us off and put us in disgrace, and you go not forth with our armies. 10 [11] You have let us be driven back by our foes; those who hated us plundered us at will. (R) 13 [14] You made us the reproach of our neighbors, the mockery and the scorn of those around us. 14 [15] You made us a byword among the nations, a laughingstock among the peoples. (R) 24 [25] Why do you hide your face, forgetting our woe and our oppression? 25 [26] For our souls are bowed down to the dust, our bodies are pressed to the earth. (R)

G O S P E L
The healing of a leper is not just a cure of a disease but one of re-inclusion. Lepers were outcasts and not able to fully participate in the life of the society. By healing the leper, Jesus enables him to go back into the heart of the community. When our sins are forgiven, the same dynamic applies to us. Let us never forget the power of Jesus’ forgiveness, or our own for that matter.

Mark 1:40-45
40 A leper came to him and kneeling down begged him and said, “If you wish, you can make me clean.” 41 Moved with pity, he stretched out his hand, touched him, and said to him, “I do will it. Be made clean.” 42 The leprosy left him immediately, and he was made clean. 43 Then, warning him sternly, he dismissed him at once. 44 Then he said to him, “See that you tell no one anything, but go, show yourself to the priest and offer for your cleansing what Moses prescribed; that will be proof for them.” 45 The man went away and began to publicize the whole matter. He spread the report abroad so that it was impossible for Jesus to enter a town openly. He remained outside in deserted places, and people kept coming to him from everywhere.

my reflections
t h i n k : Let us never forget the power of Jesus’ forgiveness, or our own for that matter.

----------------

WHAT IS THE MEANING OF DEFEAT?

Throughout the whole Old Testament the Jews interpreted defeat as a sign of God’s displeasure with their sin; conversely, victory was treated as a sign of His blessing and pleasure with them. This is a somewhat simplistic understanding of defeat and victory but it is ultimately built upon the right foundation in that if the people embrace sin it will eventually lead to their destruction. Likewise, if we embrace God’s will and the life of virtue we will be walking upon the path to eternal beatitude.
Hophni and Phinehas are men whose lives are far from upright and their death is interpreted as judgment upon their sin. Eli is seen to be complicit in their sin because he does little or nothing to stop them from sinning. Again this seems to us a little too deterministic and neat to hold much credence to the modern mind. But again, there is a certain degree of truth in this understanding. We cannot afford to dismiss sin with a wave of our hand because we have all experienced the horrible consequences of sin at one time or another. We know there is an element of truth in the idea that sinners will be punished, if not in this life, then in the next. What should we learn from this story of defeat? I think we can learn that God is a just God and that, eventually, justice will come to the sinner. In some ways those who suffer greatly in their earthly pilgrimage are far closer to heaven on the day of their death than others who have suffered little for their sins. It is interesting in this context to note that the saints desired to suffer precisely because they knew that there is a necessary amount of suffering that we all must endure to make reparation for our sins.
This can give us new insight into defeat and the suffering that accompanies it — namely that the suffering is in preparation for our death and our final journey to eternal life. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
How do I view defeat and suffering in my life? Do I try to avoid it at all costs, even the cost of sin? Do I embrace it and offer it for my salvation and the salvation of others?

Holy Spirit, help me to embrace any suffering that comes to my life so that I will always see it as a form of reparation for my sins and thus help me on the path to eternal life.

St. Macrina the Elder, pray for us.

15 January
Friday

FRIENDS IN DEED

They came bringing to Him a paralytic carried by four men. – Mark 2:3

My eight-year-old cell phone went kaput. I was on a shoestring budget then and buying a new cell phone, even the cheapest one, was a luxury. I needed a replacement soonest but my circumstances prevented me from getting one. I informed some friends and sisters in community that they could get in touch with me either through landline or email only.
After a month, I received a call from Dimples, one of my friends from a previous employment. “Can you drop by the house tomorrow? Cindy, Alma and I decided to give you an early Christmas and birthday gift… a new cell phone. It’s ready for pick-up.”
In today’s Gospel, four men brought a paralytic to Jesus so he could be healed. They were determined to get close to Jesus that they even made an opening in the roof above Him to lower the mat carrying their paralyzed friend.
Human need and love moved these four men to action. It was the same for my friends. Let it also move us to do the same. Judith Concepcion ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Do you know of someone who is in need? Be the answer to their prayers.

Lord Jesus, grant me the grace to be sensitive to the needs of others. Help me to go the extra mile for my neighbor without counting the cost.

1st READING

Samuel does not want to appoint a king as he believes such a move displaces God from the primary place he should hold in the lives of the people. God tells him to let the people have their wish but they will eventually regret their choice when they discover the true nature of kingship when it is separated from true worship. Indeed, Israel will become like all the nations of the world, concerned with taxes, battles, etc. that will cause greater suffering for the people than if they had remained simply obedient to the will of God.

1 Samuel 8:4-7, 10-22a
4 All the elders of Israel came in a body to Samuel at Ramah 5 and said to him, “Now that you are old, and your sons do not follow your example, appoint a king over us, as other nations have, to judge us.” 6 Samuel was displeased when they asked for a king to judge them. He prayed to the LORD, however, 7 who said in answer: “Grant the people’s every request. It is not you they reject, they are rejecting me as their king.” 10 Samuel delivered the message of the LORD in full to those who were asking him for a king. 11 He told them, “The rights of the king who will rule you will be as follows He will take your sons and assign them to his chariots and horses, and they will run before his chariot. 12 He will also appoint from among them his commanders of groups of a thousand and of a hundred soldiers. He will set them to do his plowing and his harvesting, and to make his implements of war and the equipment of his chariots. 13 He will use your daughters as ointment-makers, as cooks, and as bakers. 14 He will take the best of your fields, vineyards, and olive groves, and give them to his officials. 15 He will tithe your crops and your vineyards, and give the revenue to his eunuchs and his slaves. 16 He will take your male and female servants, as well as your best oxen and your asses, and use them to do his work. 17 He will tithe your flocks and you yourselves will become his slaves. 18 When this takes place, you will complain against the king whom you have chosen, but on that day the LORD will not answer you.” 19 The people, however, refused to listen to Samuel’s warning and said, “Not so! There must be a king over us. 20 We too must be like other nations, with a king to rule us and to lead us in warfare and fight our battles.” 21 When Samuel had listened to all the people had to say, he repeated it to the LORD, 22 who then said to him, “Grant their request and appoint a king to rule them.”

P S A L M

Psalm 89:16-17, 18-19
R: For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
15 [16] Blessed the people who know the joyful shout; in the light of your countenance, O LORD, they walk. 16 [17] At your name they rejoice all the day, and through your justice they are exalted. (R) 17 [18] For you are the splendor of their strength, and by your favor our horn is exalted. 18 [19] For to the LORD belongs our shield, and to the Holy One of Israel, our King. (R)

G O S P E L

In this healing story, Jesus clearly asserts His authority as having divine origin. There can be no other conclusion drawn from His claim to be able to forgive sins. It is also a story about how we are called to help one another in our journey of faith. It is the paralytic’s friends who bring him into the presence of Jesus in a rather extraordinary way.

Mark 2:1-12
1 When Jesus returned to Capernaum after some days, it became known that he was at home. 2 Many gathered together so that there was no longer room for them, not even around the door, and he preached the word to them. 3 They came bringing to him a paralytic carried by four men. 4 Unable to get near Jesus because of the crowd, they opened up the roof above him. After they had broken through, they let down the mat on which the paralytic was lying. 5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Child, your sins are forgiven.” 6 Now some of the scribes were sitting there asking themselves, 7 “Why does this man speak that way? He is blaspheming. Who but God alone can forgive sins?” 8 Jesus immediately knew in his mind what they were thinking to themselves, so he said, “Why are you thinking such things in your hearts? 9 Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Rise, pick up your mat and walk’? 10 But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority to forgive sins on earth” — 11 he said to the paralytic, “I say to you, rise, pick up your mat, and go home.” 12 He rose, picked up his mat at once, and went away in the sight of everyone. They were all astounded and glorified God, saying, “We have never seen anything like this.”
Mark 9-12
my reflections
t h i n k : W e are called to help one another in our journey of faith.

WHY IS JESUS ACCUSED OF BLASPHEMY?
Jesus is accused of blasphemy by the scribes because they live in a world where there are certain no-go areas. One of these is the forgiveness of sins. This is the domain of God alone and to enter it is to blaspheme or dishonour the person of God. We know that Jesus was sent by the Father to break down some of the artificial barriers that religion had placed between God and His people. Jesus wants us all to approach God with freedom and to dwell in His presence daily. The Jews had a very strict understanding of who and when was the right time to approach God and such must be done with great care and solemnity.
The freedom of the sons and daughters of God who have placed their faith in Jesus tells a totally different story. We speak of being in dialogue with God daily and seek every opportunity we can find to be close to Him. We understand that Jesus has broken down the barriers set up by sin and human beings and thus we are offered a new opportunity to approach our Father in heaven.
However, we must be careful that we do not take the blessings of the New Covenant too lightly and thus dishonor God. The paralytic’s friends seek to bring him into the physical presence of Jesus because they believe wholeheartedly that this will make all the difference for his healing. Have you ever heard of anyone removing the roof of the house to gain entry to meet someone? Perhaps this is an indication of both the commitment and ingenuity we should be exercising to deepen our faith in Jesus Christ.
Jesus heals the man after He has forgiven his sins. Which is the greater gift? The latter of course but this does not mean that we should forget about the first gift. Let us never be afraid to bring all of our needs, even those that may have little direct influence upon our faith, to the Lord and ask Him to transform them through His power. It is only when we give God the opportunity to move in our lives that He is able to really do His work within us.Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Have I truly opened up every area of my life to God or do I still maintain control in some areas?

Lord Jesus, You have made it possible for us all to enter into the presence and throne of God. Help us to take up this opportunity as often as possible.

St. Bonitus, pray for us.

16 January
Saturday

A Diplomat’s Job

“The Lord anoints you commander over his heritage. You are to govern the Lord’s people Israel, and to save them from the grasp of their enemies round about.” – 1 Samuel 10:1

What does it take to be a good diplomat? Definitely not someone like Gons G. Nachman, a former US envoy stationed in Brazil and the Congo, who was sentenced to a maximum of 20 years in prison for having sex with teenage girls and videotaping them. A diplomat is someone who represents his country for maintaining foreign relations and is accountable for safeguarding his country’s integrity, culture and peace. Needless to say, he must be someone of good moral character.
We, Christians, are God’s representatives on earth. As such, we are to conduct ourselves in a manner that reflects His goodness and faithfulness. The way we live our lives should inspire others to come closer to God, and not to make them turn farther away from Him. We are to offer our lives in the service of God and His people without expecting for rewards.
We may not get the kind of reward we want here on earth but, on Judgment Day, when we are face to face with God, wouldn’t it be nice to hear God say, “Good job, my child”? Jane Gonzales ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Can we honestly say we are doing a good job as ambassadors of Christ?

Dear Lord, bless my actions that I may serve Your people with humility, and help me live a life that will reflect Your goodness through Your Son Jesus Christ. Amen.

--------------

1st READING

The choice of Saul corresponds with the priorities of the world rather than the priorities of God. Compare the attributes of Saul with those of David and see the difference. God looks into the heart of a man and not just his exterior behavior. It is important that we realize that faith is all about the heart first and, flowing from the heart, our words and actions.

1 Samuel 9:1-4, 17-19; 10:1
1 There was a stalwart man from Benjamin named Kish, who was the son of Abiel, son of Zeror, son of Becorath, son of Aphiah, a Benjaminite. 2 He had a son named Saul, who was a handsome young man. There was no other Israelite handsomer than Saul; he stood head and shoulders above the people. 3 Now the asses of Saul’s father, Kish, had wandered off. Kish said to his son Saul, “Take one of the servants with you and go out and hunt for the asses.” 4 Accordingly they went through the hill country of Ephraim, and through the land of Shalishah. Not finding them there, they continued through the land of Shaalim without success. They also went through the land of Benjamin, but they failed to find the animals. 17 When Samuel caught sight of Saul, the LORD assured him, “This is the man of whom I told you; he is to govern my people.” 18 Saul met Samuel in the gateway and said, “Please tell me where the seer lives.”19 Samuel answered Saul, “I am the seer. Go up ahead of me to the high place and eat with me today. In the morning, before dismissing you, I will tell you whatever you wish.” 10: 1 Then, from a flask he had with him, Samuel poured oil on Saul’s head; he also kissed him, saying, “The LORD anoints you commander over his heritage. You are to govern the LORD’s people Israel, and to save them from the grasp of their enemies round about. “This will be the sign for you that the LORD has anointed you commander over his heritage.”

P S A L M
Psalm 21:2-3, 4-5, 6-7
R: Lord, in your strength the king is glad.
1 [2] O Lord, in your strength the king is glad; in your victory how greatly he rejoices! 2 [3] You have granted him his heart’s desire; you refused not the wish of his lips. (R) 3 [4] For you welcomed him with goodly blessings, you placed on his head a crown of pure gold. 4 [5] He asked life of you: you gave him length of days forever and ever. (R) 5 [6] Great is his glory in your victory; majesty and splendour you conferred upon him. 6 [7] For you made him a blessing forever; you
gladdened him with the joy of your face. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus tells us from this story that our past is irrelevant provided we are willing to repent and be called into faith in Jesus. It is our faith in Jesus that is the basis of the life of the New Covenant established in His proclamation of the Gospel. Let us surrender to the truths contained in the Gospel so that we will never stray far from God’s will and always remain open to what He wants us to do with our lives.

Mark 2:13-17
13 Jesus went out along the sea. All the crowd came to him and he taught them. 14 As he passed by, he saw Levi, son of Alphaeus, sitting at the customs post. He said to him, “Follow me.” And he got up and followed him. 15 While he was at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners sat with Jesus and his disciples; for there were many who followed him. 16 Some scribes who were Pharisees saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors and said to his disciples, “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?” 17 Jesus heard this and said to them, “Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.”

my reflections
t h i n k : Let us surrender to the truths contained in the Gospel so that we will never stray far from God’s will and always remain open to what He wants us to do with our lives.
-------------------

START HOW YOU INTEND TO END

Jesus makes no apologies when He seeks out the tax collectors and sinners for company. After all, they are the ones who most urgently need to hear the Gospel. The irony of the matter is that they seem to be more willing to accept the Gospel message than those who should theoretically be more prepared and more open to it. It is the sinners of the world who are entering into heaven more quickly and more abundantly than those who, on the face of it, are more religious. This encourages us to look at the issue of religiosity and ask how we should address such a problem when it arises.
Religiosity is not true faith; it is more a legalistic following of a set of rules or norms so that it looks as though one is a very religious person. This is rarely the case.
Sometimes the most outwardly religious among us are living terribly messed up and double lives. This is what we must seek to avoid as we grow in our faith. The safest means to guard against religiosity is true humility and a faithful and simple prayer life.
I find it totally anomalous when a priest tells me he does not have any time to pray, or that his work is his prayer. This is a cop out. It is not based on a true understanding of the life of faith. True faith will find time for prayer and the busier one is, the more time he will find for prayer. A person’s commitment to formal prayer is sometimes the best measure of the person’s good faith. If formal prayer times are non-negotiable aspects of a person’s life I will find it very easy to trust that person with large responsibilities because I know they have learnt one of the most fundamental truths of faith — it is no longer we who are our own strength, but Christ who dwells in us.
Prayer is essential in tapping the strength and grace God pours into our lives to make us His disciples. We need to ensure that we give ourselves, and God, the freedom and opportunity to avail of His grace by setting aside times that are for Him alone. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Do I have prayer as a non-negotiable aspect of every day of my life? If not, it is time to make that commitment!

Jesus, help me to seek You in prayer every day of my life. Do not let a day pass without awakening within me a deep desire for communion with You.

St. Fursey, pray for us.

Gal 5:22 Datapuwa't ang bunga ng Espiritu ay pagibig, katuwaan, kapayapaan, pagpapahinuhod, kagandahang-loob, kabutihan, pagtatapat,

Gal 5:23 Kaamuan, pagpipigil; laban sa mga gayong bagay ay walang kautusan.

January
Sunday

Feast of Sto. Niño

OUR FATHER WILL HANDLE IT

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in heaven. – Ephesians 1:3

When my son was four years old, I brought him along to watch a professional basketball game. It was a good opportunity for us to have a father-son bonding time.
The section where we sat was not too packed. This allowed Jac to roam around and try every available seat. When the game became intense, I focused more on it than what my son was doing.
Right after the game, a vendor approached me. “Sir, you owe me for a hotdog, juice and a couple of candies. Your son told me to approach you because his dad will handle everything,” he said. I looked for Jac and saw him happily munching on the hotdog while holding the juice with his other hand. I smiled and paid the vendor.
Our union with Christ entitles us to all the spiritual blessings we need. Through Christ, we can approach our Heavenly Father and ask Him any favor or request. Never hesitate to pray to our heavenly Father.Alvin Fabella ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
When temptation comes, declare, “My Father will help me overcome this!” When faced with danger, claim, “My Father will protect me!” When you are sick, say, “My Father
is the best doctor!”

My Father, I present my needs before You and ask for them in Jesus’ name. Amen.

-----------------

1st READING

The devotion to the Child Jesus helps remind us of His humility. He never seeks to put Himself first. We should pray often for the grace of humility because it is the grace that holds all the other virtues together. St. Catherine of Siena tells us that humility is like the mortar between the bricks in a wall. Without humility it is impossible to grow in holiness. We may do good often but do we do it for the right motives? True humility is the only safe path to eternal life.

Isaiah 9:1-6
1 The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; upon those who dwelt in the land of gloom a light has shone. 2 You have brought them abundant joy and great rejoicing, as they rejoice before you as at the harvest, as men make merry when dividing spoils. 3 For the yoke that burdened them, the pole on their shoulder, and the rod of their taskmaster you have smashed, as on the day of Midian. 4 For every boot that tramped in battle, every cloak rolled in blood, will be burned as fuel for flames. 5 For a child is born to us, a son is given us; upon his shoulder dominion rests. They name him: Wonder-counselor, God-hero, Father-forever, Prince of Peace. 6 His dominion is vast and forever peaceful, from David’s throne, and over his kingdom, which he confirms and sustains by judgment and justice, both now and forever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this!

P S A L M

Psalm 98:1, 2-3, 3-4, 5-6
R: All the ends of the earth have seen the victory of our God.
1 Sing to the LORD a new song, for he has done wondrous deeds; his right hand has won victory for him, his holy arm. (R) 2 The LORD has made his salvation known in the sight of the nations he has revealed his justice. 3 He has remembered his kindness and his faithfulness toward the house of Israel. (R) All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation by our God. 4 Sing joyfully to the LORD, all you lands; break into song; sing praise. (R) 5 Sing praise to the LORD with the harp, with the harp and melodious song. 6 With trumpets and the sound of the horn sing joyfully before the King, the LORD. (R)

2nd READING

This text reflects the reason for following the Gospel. We serve and praise God, not for our own benefit, but to glorify Him with our lives. God does not need us to praise Him. However, we need to do that for our own sakes. Keeping the focus on God and not ourselves will help us grow in humility, one of the most important aspects of the life of holiness.

Ephesians 1:3-6, 15-18
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavens, 4 as he chose us in him, before the foundation of the world, to be holy and without blemish before him. In love 5 he destined us for adoption to himself through Jesus Christ, in accord with the favor of his will, 6 for the praise of the glory of his grace that he granted us in the beloved. 15 Therefore, I, too, hearing of your faith in the Lord Jesus and of your love for all the holy ones, 16 do not cease giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation resulting in knowledge of him. 18 May the eyes of [your] hearts be enlightened, that you may know what is the hope that belongs to his call, what are the riches of glory in his inheritance among the holy ones.

G O S P E L

How often do we do things only to serve ourselves? I know in my own life that this happens too often. Jesus’ desire to do His Father’s business gives us some idea of how we, too, should long to do the same. We should try to imitate the selflessness of Jesus’ life and thus give witness to this essential part of the Gospel message. Let us seek God’s will, not as an empty goal, but to put it into practice.

Luke 2:41-52
41 Each year his parents went to Jerusalem for the feast of Passover, 42 and when he was twelve years old, they went up according to festival custom. 43 After they had completed its days, as they were returning, the boy Jesus remained behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it. 44 Thinking that he was in the caravan, they journeyed for a day and looked for him among their relatives and acquaintances, 45 but not finding him, they returned to Jerusalem to look for him. 46 After three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions, 47 and all who heard him were astounded at his understanding and his answers. 48 When his parents saw him, they were astonished, and his mother said to him, “Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety.” 49 And he said to them, “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?” 50 But they did not understand what he said to them. 51 He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart. 52 And Jesus advanced in wisdom and age and favor before God and man.

my reflections
t h i n k : True humility is the only safe path to eternal life.

--------------

CELEBRATING THE CHRIST CHILD WITHIN

There is a world of difference between being childlike and being childish. In the spiritual life, the first is a virtue of the highest degree. In any situation, the latter is a problem. Being childish as an adult is always a sign of an unwillingness or incapacity, for one reason or another, to take on responsibility in a mature and healthy way.
It is essential for the spiritual wellbeing of anyone that they be willing and able to take on responsibility for their life and actions. Without this, there is no such thing as discipleship! Without embracing the call to discipleship, there is no salvation for the individual and the Church will cease to exist. Today’s Feast of the Sto. Niño is a reminder to us of the need to be childlike in our faith, but never to be childish.
Christ always maintained a childlike attitude in His relationship with His Father as we see expressed in His desire for and willingness to set aside time for prayer. It is also present in His attitude in life. He knows He has been sent to do His Father’s will, and that is precisely what He is going to do. There is nothing that will distract Jesus from the task at hand, namely, obedience to the will of His Father that the Good News of salvation be proclaimed to the people. Even though Jesus realizes that this mission will bring a premature end to His life on earth, this does not cause Him to waver in His intention to fulfill His Father’s wishes.
As we reflect on this attitude of Jesus, let us pray that we can imitate it more and more in our own lives. Let us pray that we can set aside the world’s and others’ agenda for our lives and embrace the will of God as the perfect plan and the only way for us to salvation. Jesus has demonstrated that being committed to the will of His Father involves paying at times a costly price but it is worth it. I cannot think of any more satisfying words to say to the Father at the end of my life than, “It is accomplished.” Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Do I tend toward childishness or childlikeness? If the former, what am I going to do about this problem? If the latter, how can I go still deeper in my faith?

Father, Your will is the only way to true perfection and happiness. Help me to know this truth and to live it every day of my life.

Blessed Gonzalo de Amarante, pray for us.

18 January
Monday

A MOTOR CYCLE AND AN ENEMY

“Obedience is better than sacrifice.” – 1 Samuel 15:22

I’ve had many experiences that prove that obedience to the Lord really pays. Let me share two with you.
Before, I hated riding on my husband’s motorcycle because, well, it wasn’t as classy as riding in a car. But the Lord said, “Be thankful in all circumstances.” So I obeyed Him and gave thanks every time I rode on that motorbike. When I finally began to appreciate the bike’s benefits — like never getting stuck in traffic — we were finally able to buy a car.
Next, one of the Christian teachings I found difficult to obey was to love your enemy. Once, I had a co-employee who didn’t like me. I didn’t like her either. We just didn’t see eye to eye on many things.
Then one day, after hearing for the nth time the teaching about loving one’s enemy, I finally decided to change my ways so that I would not turn off my co-employee. Soon, I found out that she was resigning because she’d been offered a better-paying job. Next thing I knew, she was out of my life! Only when I learned to obey God did my burden of having an enemy go away.Cynthia Santiago ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
What Christian teaching do you still find difficult to obey?

Lord, not my will but Yours be done.

---------------

1st READING

Saul’s sin is placed before him as a sin of disobedience, even idolatry, to God’s command. It is not for Saul to question God’s will or instructions — it is for him to obey whatever they may be. We may well agree with Saul’s position here but we need to be careful how we understand an event that occurred 3,000 years ago. What was the concept of God and morality that the minds of the people would have had access to 3,000 years ago? I dare say that they would have viewed war and many other actions in a very different moral light than we would today.

1 Samuel 15:16-23
16 Samuel said to Saul, “Stop! Let me tell you what the LORD said to me last night.” “Speak!” he replied. 17 Samuel then said, “Though little in your own esteem, are you not leader of the tribes of Israel? The LORD anointed you king of Israel 18 and sent you on a mission, saying, ‘Go and put the sinful Amalekites under a ban of destruction. Fight against them until you have exterminated them.’ 19 Why then have you disobeyed the LORD? You have pounced on the spoil, thus displeasing the LORD.” 20 Saul answered Samuel, “I did indeed obey the LORD and fulfill the mission on which the LORD sent me. I have brought back Agag, and I have destroyed Amalek under the ban. 21 But from the spoil the men took sheep and oxen, the best of what had been banned, to sacrifice to the LORD their God in Gilgal.” 22 But Samuel said, “Does the LORD so delight in holocausts and sacrifices as in obedience to the command of the LORD? Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission than the fat of rams. 23 For a sin like divination is rebellion, and presumption is the crime of idolatry. Because you have rejected the command of the LORD, he, too, has rejected you as ruler.”

P S A L M

Psalm 50:8-9, 16bc-17, 21 and 23
R: To the upright I will show the saving power of God.
8 “Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you, for your burnt-offerings are before me always. 9 I take from your house no bullock, no goats out of your fold.” (R) 16 “Why do you recite my statutes, and profess my covenant with your mouth, 17 though you hate discipline and cast my words behind you?” (R) 21 “When you do these things, shall I be deaf to it? Or do you think that I am like yourself? I will correct you by drawing them up before your eyes. 23 He that offers praise as a sacrifice glorifies me; and to him that goes the right way I will show the salvation of God.” (R)

G O S P E L

This story affirms to us that the Law is here to aid human living, not hinder it. There is an ever-present danger that the Law is interpreted to make life difficult for individuals when it does not have to be. We must always avoid this, of course, never forgetting that we must always respect the truth. Let us seek to understand the roots of the Law before asserting dogmatically what its interpretation should be.

Mark 2:18-22
18 The disciples of John and of the Pharisees were accustomed to fast. People came to him and objected, “Why do the disciples of John and the disciples of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?” 19 Jesus answered them, “Can the wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them? As long as they have the bridegroom with them they cannot fast. 20 But the days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast on that day. 21 No one sews a piece of unshrunken cloth on an old cloak. If he does, its fullness pulls away, the new from the old, and the tear gets worse. 22 Likewise, no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the skins are ruined. Rather, new wine is poured into fresh wineskins.”

my reflections
t h i n k : Let us seek to understand the roots of the Law before asserting dogmatically what its interpretation should be.

-------------------

BEING OPEN TO THE NEW IS ESSENTIAL

One of the great traditions of the Church that is slowly being revived is that of pilgrimages. There are literally hundreds of ancient pilgrimage routes throughout Europe and around the Mediterranean. One of the interesting things about the revival of many of these routes is that they are not being revived for religious reasons but for tourism. The Church needs to look seriously at this phenomenon and see where it can tap into the desire in the hearts of people to accomplish a pilgrimage and then discern ways of inserting the Gospel into the experience.
My experience of pilgrimages is a little mixed in that people can be on them for reasons that may not work very well together. I have found it most helpful, and one of the best ways to maintain peace when there are conflicts of interest, to seek to keep pilgrimages uncluttered. The tendency is to want to pack as many sites as possible into a limited period of time; this can be counterproductive — the experience becomes one of rushing here and there with little or no time for reflection. One of the essential aspects of a pilgrimage is reflection and recollection of life. Without this, a pilgrimage will have little opportunity to be a life-changing experience.
I do not believe that it is an accident that Jesus spent a lot of His time walking from place to place with His disciples. It is here that I believe the greatest formation and best brotherhood is built. Pilgrimages should be a testing time for our strength — strength of character most of all. I believe that while it is possible to build character while on your own on a pilgrimage, the more fruitful ones will be those in the company of others. It is learning to walk and work with others through the various hardships of travel that will forge relationships that will endure the test of time, not just with one another but with Jesus as well.Fr. Steve Tynan, MG

Reflection Question:
Have I ever been on a truevvpilgrimage? Have I ever journeyed with others who have the same goal as I? What was my experience of these times?

Holy Spirit, lead me on the pilgrimage of life so that I will never cease growing in my love of God and neighbor.

St. Day, pray for us.

18 January
Monday

A MOTOR CYCLE AND AN ENEMY

“Obedience is better than sacrifice.” – 1 Samuel 15:22

I’ve had many experiences that prove that obedience to the Lord really pays. Let me share two with you.
Before, I hated riding on my husband’s motorcycle because, well, it wasn’t as classy as riding in a car. But the Lord said, “Be thankful in all circumstances.” So I obeyed Him and gave thanks every time I rode on that motorbike. When I finally began to appreciate the bike’s benefits — like never getting stuck in traffic — we were finally able to buy a car.
Next, one of the Christian teachings I found difficult to obey was to love your enemy. Once, I had a co-employee who didn’t like me. I didn’t like her either. We just didn’t see eye to eye on many things.
Then one day, after hearing for the nth time the teaching about loving one’s enemy, I finally decided to change my ways so that I would not turn off my co-employee. Soon, I found out that she was resigning because she’d been offered a better-paying job. Next thing I knew, she was out of my life! Only when I learned to obey God did my burden of having an enemy go away.Cynthia Santiago ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
What Christian teaching do you still find difficult to obey?

Lord, not my will but Yours be done.

---------------

1st READING

Saul’s sin is placed before him as a sin of disobedience, even idolatry, to God’s command. It is not for Saul to question God’s will or instructions — it is for him to obey whatever they may be. We may well agree with Saul’s position here but we need to be careful how we understand an event that occurred 3,000 years ago. What was the concept of God and morality that the minds of the people would have had access to 3,000 years ago? I dare say that they would have viewed war and many other actions in a very different moral light than we would today.

1 Samuel 15:16-23
16 Samuel said to Saul, “Stop! Let me tell you what the LORD said to me last night.” “Speak!” he replied. 17 Samuel then said, “Though little in your own esteem, are you not leader of the tribes of Israel? The LORD anointed you king of Israel 18 and sent you on a mission, saying, ‘Go and put the sinful Amalekites under a ban of destruction. Fight against them until you have exterminated them.’ 19 Why then have you disobeyed the LORD? You have pounced on the spoil, thus displeasing the LORD.” 20 Saul answered Samuel, “I did indeed obey the LORD and fulfill the mission on which the LORD sent me. I have brought back Agag, and I have destroyed Amalek under the ban. 21 But from the spoil the men took sheep and oxen, the best of what had been banned, to sacrifice to the LORD their God in Gilgal.” 22 But Samuel said, “Does the LORD so delight in holocausts and sacrifices as in obedience to the command of the LORD? Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission than the fat of rams. 23 For a sin like divination is rebellion, and presumption is the crime of idolatry. Because you have rejected the command of the LORD, he, too, has rejected you as ruler.”

P S A L M

Psalm 50:8-9, 16bc-17, 21 and 23
R: To the upright I will show the saving power of God.
8 “Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you, for your burnt-offerings are before me always. 9 I take from your house no bullock, no goats out of your fold.” (R) 16 “Why do you recite my statutes, and profess my covenant with your mouth, 17 though you hate discipline and cast my words behind you?” (R) 21 “When you do these things, shall I be deaf to it? Or do you think that I am like yourself? I will correct you by drawing them up before your eyes. 23 He that offers praise as a sacrifice glorifies me; and to him that goes the right way I will show the salvation of God.” (R)

G O S P E L

This story affirms to us that the Law is here to aid human living, not hinder it. There is an ever-present danger that the Law is interpreted to make life difficult for individuals when it does not have to be. We must always avoid this, of course, never forgetting that we must always respect the truth. Let us seek to understand the roots of the Law before asserting dogmatically what its interpretation should be.

Mark 2:18-22
18 The disciples of John and of the Pharisees were accustomed to fast. People came to him and objected, “Why do the disciples of John and the disciples of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?” 19 Jesus answered them, “Can the wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them? As long as they have the bridegroom with them they cannot fast. 20 But the days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast on that day. 21 No one sews a piece of unshrunken cloth on an old cloak. If he does, its fullness pulls away, the new from the old, and the tear gets worse. 22 Likewise, no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the skins are ruined. Rather, new wine is poured into fresh wineskins.”

my reflections
t h i n k : Let us seek to understand the roots of the Law before asserting dogmatically what its interpretation should be.

-------------------

BEING OPEN TO THE NEW IS ESSENTIAL

One of the great traditions of the Church that is slowly being revived is that of pilgrimages. There are literally hundreds of ancient pilgrimage routes throughout Europe and around the Mediterranean. One of the interesting things about the revival of many of these routes is that they are not being revived for religious reasons but for tourism. The Church needs to look seriously at this phenomenon and see where it can tap into the desire in the hearts of people to accomplish a pilgrimage and then discern ways of inserting the Gospel into the experience.
My experience of pilgrimages is a little mixed in that people can be on them for reasons that may not work very well together. I have found it most helpful, and one of the best ways to maintain peace when there are conflicts of interest, to seek to keep pilgrimages uncluttered. The tendency is to want to pack as many sites as possible into a limited period of time; this can be counterproductive — the experience becomes one of rushing here and there with little or no time for reflection. One of the essential aspects of a pilgrimage is reflection and recollection of life. Without this, a pilgrimage will have little opportunity to be a life-changing experience.
I do not believe that it is an accident that Jesus spent a lot of His time walking from place to place with His disciples. It is here that I believe the greatest formation and best brotherhood is built. Pilgrimages should be a testing time for our strength — strength of character most of all. I believe that while it is possible to build character while on your own on a pilgrimage, the more fruitful ones will be those in the company of others. It is learning to walk and work with others through the various hardships of travel that will forge relationships that will endure the test of time, not just with one another but with Jesus as well.Fr. Steve Tynan, MG

Reflection Question:
Have I ever been on a truevvpilgrimage? Have I ever journeyed with others who have the same goal as I? What was my experience of these times?

Holy Spirit, lead me on the pilgrimage of life so that I will never cease growing in my love of God and neighbor.

St. Day, pray for us.

God speaks to thOse who take time to listens,and He listens to those who take time to pray.

January
Tuesday

SUNDAY STRUGGLE

“The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.” – Mark 2:27

There are very few “big things” that my wife and I quarrel about. One is attending Sunday Mass first thing in the morning and being on time. That’s the least that I can do as my way of giving my Sunday to the Lord. So I demand that of myself… and my wife. After all, isn’t He supposed to be number 1?
However, my beloved has a problem waking up early on Sundays. This is where the struggle begins. I persuade her to get up and give her a series of short, powerful lectures on putting God first as we get ready for Mass. The result? We make it there alright but you can sense the tension between us. We do make peace as the Mass progresses but I’ve already missed the whole point of the Lord’s Sabbath — to worship and love God with delight as a couple and be renewed by Him on His special day.
When I think about it, my wife and I work at our business six days a week and sometimes it even takes us out of town. I forget that my wife’s physical well-being is more important than the “rules” I impose on myself. After all, there are Sunday Masses from morning to evening. More than manmade guidelines, it’s being an instrument of God’s love that counts. Ariel Driz ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Do I impose stern rules on the people around me and forget to love?

Lord Jesus, loving people with Your love is more important than sacrifice. Please remind me of this always. Amen.

---------------

1st READING

God prepares Samuel to look for Saul’s replacement, a none too enviable task for the prophet. Here again we encounter the wisdom of God being so different from worldly wisdom. David seems to be the least likely candidate for kingship yet he is the one chosen by God for the task. We will never be able to understand how God’s mind works but we do need to learn to trust His judgment as it will become an issue in our own lives from time to time.

1 Samuel 16:1-13
1 The LORD said to Samuel: “How long will you grieve for Saul, whom I have rejected as king of Israel? Fill your horn with oil, and be on your way. I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem, for I have chosen my king from among his sons.” 2 But Samuel replied: “How can I go? Saul will hear of it and kill me.” To this the LORD answered: “Take a heifer along and say, ‘I have come to sacrifice to the LORD.’ 3 Invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I myself will tell you what to do; you are to anoint for me the one I point out to you.” 4 Samuel did as the LORD had commanded him. When he entered Bethlehem, the elders of the city came trembling to meet him and inquired, “Is your visit peaceful, O seer?” 5 He replied: “Yes! I have come to sacrifice to the LORD. So cleanse yourselves and join me today for the banquet.” He also had Jesse and his sons cleanse themselves and invited them to the sacrifice. 6 As they came, he looked at Eliab and thought, “Surely the LORD’s anointed is here before him.” 7 But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not judge from his appearance or from his lofty stature, because I have rejected him. Not as man sees does God see, because man sees the appearance but the LORD looks into the heart.” 8 Then Jesse called Abinadab and presented him before Samuel, who said, “The Lord has not chosen him.” 9 Next Jesse presented Shammah, but Samuel said, “The LORD has not chosen this one either.” 10 In the same way Jesse presented seven sons before Samuel, but Samuel said to Jesse, “The LORD has not chosen any one of these.” 11 Then Samuel asked Jesse, “Are these all the sons you have?” Jesse replied, “There is still the youngest, who is tending the sheep.” Samuel said to Jesse, “Send for him; we will not begin the sacrificial banquet until he arrives here.” 12 Jesse sent and had the young man brought to them. He was ruddy, a youth handsome to behold and making a splendid appearance. The LORD said, “There — anoint him, for this is he!” 13 Then Samuel, with the horn of oil in hand, anointed him in the midst of his brothers; and from that day on, the spirit of the LORD rushed upon David. When Samuel took his leave, he went to Ramah.

P S A L M

Psalm 89:20, 21-22, 27-28
R: I have found David, my servant.
19 [20] Once you spoke in a vision, and to your faithful ones you said: “On a champion I have placed a crown; over the people I have set a youth.” (R) 20 [21] “I have found David, my servant; with my holy oil I have anointed him, 21 [22] that my hand may be always with him, and that my arm may make him strong.” (R) 26 [27] “He shall say of me, ‘You are my father, my God, the Rock, my savior.’ 27 [28] And I will make him the first-born, highest of the kings of the earth.” (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus gives a particular example of how the Law must be placed in the service of the people and not the other way around. The Sabbath laws are meant as a reminder to us of the importance of setting aside time for our relationship with God. For some, it is next to impossible to rest on Sundays, priests included. Such people must find other times when they can rest and reflect upon their relationship with God.

Mark 2:23-28
23 As Jesus was passing through a field of grain on the sabbath, his disciples began to make a path while picking the heads of grain. 24 At this the Pharisees said to him, “Look, why are they doing what is unlawful on the sabbath?” 25 He said to them, “Have you never read what David did when he was in need and he and his companions were hungry? 26 How he went into the house of God when Abiathar was high priest and ate the bread of offering that only the priests could lawfully eat, and shared it with his companions?” 27 Then he said to them, “The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. 28 That is why the Son of Man is lord even of the sabbath.”

my reflections
t h i n k : We will never be able to understand how God’s mind works but we do need to learn to trust His judgment as it will become an issue in our own lives from time to time.

--------------

LET US BE FOCUSED ON THE THINGS THAT MATTER

One of the first tactics of the devil is to try to distract us from the things that should be the foci of our life. If he can achieve this goal, he will have succeeded in neutralizing our impact in bringing the Gospel to others. This means that the Church’s mission will be blunted and bringing back humanity to its proper place of submission to the will of God will be delayed.
There is an urgency to proclaim the Gospel and to proclaim it in truth without any accretions that take away from its power to save. The Gospel stands in judgment over the world and its various cultures. The Gospel does not have to adapt its truths to the cultures in which it is being proclaimed. It must be proclaimed in truth and all that is in a particular culture that is not in conformity to that truth must go. Yes, we adapt the manner of proclaiming the Gospel to the individual culture, but never the content of the Gospel.
Sociologists, anthropologists and many others will defend the primacy of culture over and against the Gospel, but they are wrong. The truth of the Gospel is not open to debate; it is not open to alteration in the name of cultural sensitivity. If we fail to be clear about the truth of the Gospel when we proclaim it, we do a disservice to those who hear it and we become at least partially responsible for their errors. I’m sure none of us want to be responsible for the errors of others so we had better heed the call to both live and proclaim the Gospel faithfully in response to the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Yes, we must always seek to understand different cultures, but we must also be willing to call to conversion various aspects of the cultures in which we work. Otherwise, we will condemn ourselves to an exercise in futility because unless the Gospel is proclaimed in its fullness, it will not be able to establish itself in the lives of those who hear it. Our task of proclaiming the Gospel to the ends of the earth will never be completed. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Do I tend to let slide certain culturally accepted aspects of my life even though I know they are contrary to the Gospel? If so, it is time I did something about it.

Jesus, You proclaimed the truth whether it made You popular or not. Help me to do the same and so be faithful to You.

St. Branwallader, pray for us.

20 January
Wednesday

AS EASY AS ADDITION

“The Lord, who delivered me from the claws of the lion and the bear, will also keep me safe from the clutches of this Philistine.” – 1 Samuel 17:37

I can still feel the thrill when I first performed two-digit addition. As a first grader, my knowledge was limited only to single digit math. But one day, while I was on a school bus with a friend’s grade two Math book, I was able to solve “complicated” two-digit addition problems.
Who would have thought that much, much later, I would learn to do Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry and — the mother of them all — Calculus? If you told me back in that school bus that I’d have to solve problems with limits, derivatives, integrals and infinite series, I would have probably dropped out of school.
It’s the same with the Lord. He prepares us all our lives to carry out His calling. Just as David’s work as a shepherd boy trained him for his encounter with Goliath, our education, experiences, family background, even trials and difficulties are our qualifications for the tasks God asks us to do today. So if you really think about it, following God can be as easy as grade two math. Rissa Singson-Kawpeng ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
“Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” (St. Francis of Assisi)

Lord, when it seems that You are asking me to do the impossible, remind me that You have prepared me all my life for it.

------------------

1st READING

David is ready to take on the giant Goliath who was sent to challenge the Israelites by the Philistines. He is not afraid of the mighty Philistine army, because he knows in the depth of his heart that with God, nothing will be able to defeat him. It is this attitude we all must learn to take with us in our battle against sin. If we can do this faithfully, sin will soon be overcome in our lives.

1 Samuel 17:32-33, 37, 40-51
32 David spoke to Saul: “Let your majesty not lose courage. I am at your service to go and fight this Philistine.” 33 But Saul answered David, “You cannot go up against this Philistine and fight with him, for you are only a youth, while he has been a warrior from his youth.” 37 David continued: “The LORD, who delivered me from the claws of the lion and the bear, will also keep me safe from the clutches of this Philistine.” Saul answered David, “Go! the LORD will be with you.” 40 Then, staff in hand, David selected five smooth stones from the wadi and put them in the pocket of his shepherd’s bag. With his sling also ready to hand, he approached the Philistine. 41 With his shield-bearer marching before him, the Philistine also advanced closer and closer to David. 42 When he had sized David up, and seen that he was youthful, and ruddy, and handsome in appearance, he held him in contempt. 43 The Philistine said to David, “Am I a dog that you come against me with a staff?” Then the Philistine cursed David by his gods 44 and said to him, “Come here to me, and I will leave your flesh for the birds of the air and the beasts of the field.” 45 David answered him, “You come against me with sword and spear and scimitar, but I come against you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel that you have insulted. 46 Today the LORD shall deliver you into my hand; I will strike you down and cut off your head. This very day I will leave your corpse and the corpses of the Philistine army for the birds of the air and the beasts of the field; thus the whole land shall learn that Israel has a God. 47 All this multitude, too, shall learn that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves. For the battle is the LORD’s, and he shall deliver you into our hands.” 48 The Philistine then moved to meet David at close quarters, while David ran quickly toward the battle line in the direction of the Philistine. 49 David put his hand into the bag and took out a stone, hurled it with the sling, and struck the Philistine on the forehead. The stone embedded itself in his brow, and he fell prostrate on the ground. 50 Thus David overcame the Philistine with sling and stone; he struck the Philistine mortally, and did it without a sword. 51 Then David ran and stood over him; with the Philistine’s own sword which he drew from its sheath he dispatched him and cut off his head. When they saw that their hero was dead, the Philistines took to flight.

P S A L M

Psalm 144:1b, 2, 9-10
R: Blessed be the Lord, my Rock!
1 Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. (R) 2 My refuge and my fortress, my stronghold, my deliverer, my shield, in whom I trust, who subdues peoples under me. (R) 9 O God, I will sing a new song to you; with a ten-stringed lyre I will chant your praise, 10 you who give victory to kings, and deliver David, your servant the evil sword. (R)

G O S P E L

The Sabbath seems to have become something of a fixation in the minds of the Jewish people to a point that they have lost sight of the real reason for its institution. Jesus reminds them that it cannot be a sin to do good on the Sabbath. The example He uses to proclaim this truth, the healing of a man with a withered hand, makes the point in a clear way.

Mark 3:1-6
1 Jesus entered the synagogue. There was a man there who had a withered hand. 2 They watched him closely to see if he would cure him on the sabbath so that they might accuse him. 3 He said to the man with the withered hand, “Come up here before us.” 4 Then he said to them, “Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath rather than to do evil, to save life rather than to destroy it?” But they remained silent. 5 Looking around at them with anger and grieved at their hardness of heart, he said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out and his hand was restored. 6 The Pharisees went out and immediately took counsel with the Herodians against him to put him to death.
Luke 13-16
my reflections
t h i n k : David is not afraid because he knows that with God, nothing can defeat him.

----------------

IS IT RIGHT OR WRONG?

If you are anything like me, you will be wondering how on earth anyone could complain about the healing of a sick person on the Sabbath! What is at work in a person’s heart for them to do this? To be fair, I do not think it is malice towards the sick person, just a very legalistic understanding of the Law and its application to individual circumstances. I would hope that those who question Jesus’ actions would change their minds if they were to imagine that they were the sick person in question! However, there are forms of legalism that are so strong that they can even seem to be totally devoid of compassion.
Now by compassion I do not mean compromise. Compassion literally means “to suffer with,” that is, to take on the position of the other person and try to see things from their perspective. It is important for us to develop compassion as it can help us to understand why people do the things they do, and when the person is suffering, help us to realize the depth of their struggle and thus be inspired to help them.
Jesus was a compassionate person in that He was always ready to listen to those around Him and He was able to address their issues and needs from the standpoint of understanding. Help for others that comes from a purely theoretical or philosophical point of view is a “cold” sort of help. It is better than nothing but not as “warm” and comforting as help that comes from a compassionate understanding of another and being with the person who is suffering. As Christians, we ought to move from the first position to that of the second.
Jesus calls us to have a special love for the poor and suffering. Even in the midst of prosperity and progress, the poor and outcast are forgotten as they are not part of what is happening and so they get passed over. Let’s make it a point to remember them and try to bring them along with us as best we can and help them make the best of their lives. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Do I have a heart for the poor and suffering or do I tend to ignore their plight as something beyond my control?

Jesus, help me to have a heart for the poor and suffering of the world and to do all I can to better their lives and help them out of their suffering.

St. Fenchin, pray for us.

23 January
Saturday

SOMETHING BETT ER

... again the crowd gathered, making it impossible for them even to eat. – Mark 3:20

Christian service always takes you away from something good. Do you agree? Maybe not, but let me tell you a short story to explain my point.
We were asked to conduct a marriage seminar in my parents’ house. We were blessed to have four couples as participants. I initially had apprehensions taking on this service because Saturday was our family bonding time. It was the time when we go to a mall or do other activities with our kids. But since the participants were only free during Saturdays, we were left with no other option. After the third session, I realized that although we missed our family Saturday getaways, there was something we got in return.
We slowly developed new friendships with the participants. One of the couples brought their baby during the sessions and our kids had a wonderful time playing with her. I also felt joy in my heart as my wife supported me by doing various tasks throughout the seven sessions.
Indeed our service for Jesus takes us away from something good but it always gives us something better in return!Alvin Fabella ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Recall a time when you sacrificed something for service and were blessed.

Lord, please instill in me a heart for service. Please keep me able and strong to continue serving brothers and sisters all through my life. Amen.

--------------

1st READING

The news of Jonathan and Saul’s death reaches David. He mourns their loss. This is always going to be the case in war. Sometimes war may be justifiable but it is always associated with a waste of many lives. Victory in war is hollow when you consider the cost. It is far better to fight the war within and thus avoid the wars of nations. When inner faults have been conquered, there is no reason to sort out differences of opinion on the battlefield.

2 Samuel 1:1-4, 11-12, 19, 23-27
1 David returned from his defeat of the Amalekites and spent two days in Ziklag. 2 On the third day a man came from Saul’s camp, with his clothes torn and dirt on his head. Going to David, he fell to the ground in homage. 3 David asked him, “Where do you come from?” He replied, “I have escaped from the Israelite camp.” 4 “Tell me what happened,” David bade him. He answered that the soldiers had fled the battle and that many of them had fallen and were dead, among them Saul and his son Jonathan. 11 David seized his garments and rent them, and all the men who were with him did likewise. 12 They mourned and wept and fasted until evening for Saul and his son Jonathan, and for the soldiers of the LORD of the clans of Israel, because they had fallen by the sword. 19 “Alas! the glory of Israel, Saul, slain upon your heights; how can the warriors have fallen! 23 Saul and Jonathan, beloved and cherished, separated neither in life nor in death, swifter than eagles, stronger than lions! 24 Women of Israel, weep over Saul, who clothed you in scarlet and in finery, who decked your attire with ornaments of gold. 25 “How can the warriors have fallen — in the thick of the battle, slain upon your heights! 26 “I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother! most dear have you been to me; More precious have I held love for you than love for women. 27 “How can the warriors have fallen, the weapons of war have perished!”

P S A L M

Psalm 80:2-3, 5-7
R: Let us see your face, Lord, and we shall be saved.
2 O shepherd of Israel, hearken, O guide of the flock of Joseph! From your throne upon the cherubim, shine forth 3 before Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh. Rouse your power, and come to save us. (R) 5 O LORD of hosts, how long will you burn with anger while your people pray? 6 You have fed them with the bread of tears and given them tears to drink in ample measure. 7 You have left us to be fought over by our neighbors, and our enemies mock us. (R)

G O S P E L

We see it even in our own day how it is often the case that religious fanaticism can be associated with actions that are psychologically questionable. We must avoid these extremes in our faith. At the same time we should not be afraid to embrace the Gospel to the full. Let us seek to live radical lives, not crazy ones, and so give glory to the Lord, allowing ourselves to be used according to the Spirit of God’s will.

Mark 3:20-21
20 Jesus came with his disciples into the house. Again the crowd gathered, making it impossible for them even to eat. 21 When his relatives heard of this they set out to seize him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.”
Acts 1-4
my reflections
t h i n k : Let us seek to live radical lives, not crazy ones, and so give glory to the Lord, allowing ourselves to be used according to the Spirit of God’s will.

--------------

BITTERNESS IS NO WAY TO LIVE

I had a conversation recently with someone who told me that he had made a decision never again to allow bitterness to be a part of his life. It does not matter what a person or group of people may have done; it does not matter how hurt he may feel, he was absolutely sure that he was decided to exclude bitterness from his life. I applauded his decision and for the rest of my days will seek to follow his example. I have never heard of any good fruit from a life of bitterness.
David is a fine example of not allowing bitterness to govern his life. He had every reason to be bitter with Saul. Saul had sought to kill him for a number of years out of jealousy. David refuses to be drawn into the negative spiral of jealousy and hatred that leads to bitterness and stays above it all. He honors the anointed of God, even when he has demonstrated weakness and flaws. David is a man of the spirit and not of the world. Later we will see the flaws in David as well, but for now the example he sets is admirable.
Jesus calls us to lives of forgiveness and mercy. This is what we receive and expect from God in our own lives, therefore we must be willing to minister it to others. If we are not willing to give it to others, how can we expect to receive the same things from God? The simple answer is that we cannot. Only hypocrites expect thus!
The Gospel life we are called to live is not easy — it is based in the imitation of God’s love for us. We must be willing to open our hearts to learn this way of living from God and the saints, and then apply it to our own lives. It is in practicing a life of virtue that the virtues are strengthened within us. This is somewhat paradoxical but that is often the way of the Spirit. In order to receive mercy we must practice mercy ourselves. It is fair enough when you give it a few moments’ thought.Fr. Steve Tynan,MGL

Reflection Question:
Am I willing to learn the life of virtue as a humble disciple? Will I lay down my life in imitation of Jesus and His Kingdom?

Holy Spirit, help me to become a disciple of Jesus and to persevere in the high calling given to all disciples. Help me to surrender my life to Your will and to humbly follow wherever You lead me.

St. Agathangelus, pray for us.

25 January
Monday

Feast of the Conversion of Paul, Apostle

STAYING POWER OF GOD

He got up and was baptized…. – Acts 9:18

On the morning of February 1, 2003, the space shuttle Columbia re-entered the earth’s atmosphere after a 16-day scientific mission. A few minutes before its expected landing, the shuttle burst into flames, lost its power, disintegrated and crashed in the desert of California.
Columbia needed a large amount of power for it to take off from earth, to stay up in the sky and return to earth. It needed 1.9 million liters of fuel (approximately 47 thousand cars with full tank) and five million pounds of energy (equivalent to the weight of 25,000 200-pound men) to push the shuttle 23 miles up in the sky in two minutes. Saul became a changed man through the power of the Holy Spirit. This same power fueled him to spread the Gospel and sustained Him through all the trials and persecutions he faced.
Our human powers are limited. If we rely only on our own powers, we just might end up like the space shuttle Columbia. We won’t be able to sustain our flight. But if we turn to God, the Source of all power, and allow Him to take control of our lives, we can fly high. Judith Concepcion ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
“They that hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar as with eagles’ wings. They will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint.” (Isaiah 40:31)

Empower me with Your Spirit, oh Lord.

------------

1st READING

We should spend some time today reflecting on the nature of the conversion of St. Paul because as it was for him, so it should be for us. Yes, the details will be different — I doubt you are traveling towards Damascus as you read this. However, it is the interior life that we are talking about. Paul is a man seeking God’s will and he finds it in a most unexpected form. However, his desire for obedience is so great that he is willing to change his opinions, way of life… everything, in order to respond.

Acts 22:3-16 (or Acts 9:1-22)
3 Paul addressed the people in these words: “I am a Jew, born in Tarsus in Cilicia, but brought up in this city. At the feet of Gamaliel I was educated strictly in our ancestral law and was zealous for God, just as all of you are today. 4 I persecuted this Way to death, binding both men and women and delivering them to prison. 5 Even the high priest and the whole council of elders can testify on my behalf. For from them I even received letters to the brothers and set out for Damascus to bring back to Jerusalem in chains for punishment those there as well. 6 “On that journey as I drew near to Damascus, about noon a great light from the sky suddenly shone around me. 7 I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?’ 8 I replied, ‘Who are you, sir?’ And he said to me, ‘I am Jesus the Nazorean whom you are persecuting.’ 9 My companions saw the light but did not hear the voice of the one who spoke to me. 10 I asked, ‘What shall I do, sir?’ The Lord answered me, ‘Get up and go into Damascus, and there you will be told about everything appointed for you to do.’ 11 Since I could see nothing because of the brightness of that light, I was led by hand by my companions and entered Damascus. 12 “A certain Ananias, a devout observer of the law, and highly spoken of by all the Jews who lived there, 13 came to me and stood there and said, ‘Saul, my brother, regain your sight.’ And at that very moment I regained my sight and saw him. 14 Then he said, ‘The God of our ancestors designated you to know his will, to see the Righteous One, and to hear the sound of his voice; 15 for you will be his witness before all to what you have seen and heard. 16 Now, why delay? Get up and have yourself baptized and your sins washed away, calling upon his name.’”

P S A L M

Psalm 117:1bc, 2
R: Go out to all the world and tell the Good News.
1 Praise the LORD, all you nations; glorify him, all you peoples! (R) 2 For steadfast is his kindness toward us, and the fidelity of the LORD endures forever. (R)

G O S P E L

We are all called to be apostles, men and women who give their lives in the service of the Gospel. There is no way that we could honestly discern any other basis for our Christian lives given that the Gospels and, indeed, all the Scriptures are this explicit. Let us pray for the grace to open our hearts fully to this calling as Paul did and see where the Lord will lead us. Let us get ready for the “ride of a lifetime.”

Mark 16:15-18
15 Jesus appeared to the Eleven and said to them: “Go into the whole world and proclaim the gospel to every creature. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved; whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 These signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will drive out demons, they will speak new languages. 18 They will pick up serpents [with their hands], and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm them. They will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”
Acts 9-12
my reflections
t h i n k : We are all called to be apostles, men and women who give their lives in the service of the Gospel.

---------------

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE CONVERTED?

The story of Paul’s conversion ought to cause anyone with sense to reflect on the meaning of their life. He believes he is a man with a God-given mission and yet he is totally wrong in his most fundamental suppositions. He encounters Jesus and his life is turned upside down and inside out! It is enough to make any sinner tremble with trepidation and begin to wonder if they are really on the right path.
Paul is not bad — he is in fact a good man. However, goodness in this sense is not a measure of whether or not he has a correct understanding of either faith or God. Listening to a preacher over the last weekend, I heard him say that it is not the “good person” who will enter heaven, but the one who is obedient to God’s will. What he means is that we assign the adjective “good” to a person without understanding about salvation. Avoiding evil is a good thing but it will not get you into heaven — only God can do that. And what God requires of us in order that we might be saved and have eternal life is that we believe in Jesus and do what He commands us to do as His disciples.
Faith is not just an intellectual reality — it galvanizes us into action and causes us to become a new creation in Christ. This is the experience of Paul and it is precisely this experience that we hear about again and again in his epistles. It is not a matter of what we can achieve on our own strength but what God has done for us and what He consequently calls us to as His followers.
Jesus is different from other prophets as His life is the path to eternal life (John 14:6). It is a path of obedience — of dying to Himself and living the will of His Father. This is the example He sets out for us and calls us to as His disciples. As He tells Peter at the end of John’s Gospel, it is his faith that will lead and direct him, not his own desires. We need to pray for a level of surrender and obedience to God’s will that none of us have ever truly fathomed yet. If we do fathom it, it is certain that we will become saints.Fr. SteveTynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Do I really seek to do God’s will in my life or do I pay lip-service to this goal and do what I want to do with my life?

Jesus, help me to follow Your example and always be open to Your will for my life. Grant me the grace to be obedient to it always.

St. Apollo, pray for us.

26 January
Tuesday

Memorial of Sts. Timothy and Titus, bishops

AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY

So do not be ashamed of your testimony to our Lord, but bear your share of hardship for the gospel with the strength that comes from God. – 2 Timothy 1:8\

My wife and I take pride in our Christian faith and we try to give glory to God at every proper opportunity we have.
In our home, the family Bible is visibly enthroned at the entrance and foyer.
In our business, we took our company name from the Holy Scriptures. When you open our websites, you’ll readily see the Christian character of its owner.
Once, we had a chance to share our faith with our neighbors at the subdivision we recently moved into. During our turn to host the monthly acquaintance party, we had Christian musicians as entertainers. My wife and I also sang a song about our heart’s thirst and longing for Jesus even if we don’t sing well.
We wanted our guests to know that we were striving to be Christians — and even prospering — in the business world. We want to tell the world that we can be in the world without compromising our faith. Rolly España ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Are you a cabinet Christian whose faith, like your Sunday wear, is seen only in church?

Lord Jesus, grant me a heart that is always bold to proclaim that You are my God, my Savior and my personal Friend.

-----------

1st READING

Timothy and Titus are the leaders of the Church in Crete and Ephesus. Today we consider them as the bishops and they are entrusted with the task of keeping the Church true to its mission. Let us all seek to aid them in this task by placing ourselves and our resources at the service of the Gospel in imitation of the saints down through the centuries. Timothy and Titus show us the way — let us choose to follow it.

2 Timothy 1:1-8 (or Titus 1:1-5 or 2 Samuel 6:12b-15, 17-19)
1 Paul, an Apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God for the promise of life in Christ Jesus, 2 to Timothy, my dear child: grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. 3 I am grateful to God, whom I worship with a clear conscience as my ancestors did, as I remember you constantly in my prayers, night and day. 4 I yearn to see you again, recalling your tears, so that I may be filled with joy, 5 as I recall your sincere faith that first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and that I am confident lives also in you. 6 For this reason, I remind you to stir into flame the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands. 7 For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control. 8 So do not be ashamed of your testimony to our Lord, nor of me, a prisoner for his sake; but bear your share of hardship for the gospel with the strength that comes from God.

P S A L M

Psalm 96:1-2a, 2b-3, 7-8a, 10 (or Psalm 24:7, 8, 9, 10)
R: Proclaim God’s marvelous deeds to all the nations.
1 Sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all you lands. 2 Sing to the LORD; bless his name. (R) Announce his salvation, day after day. 3 Tell his glory among the nations; among all peoples, his wondrous deeds. (R) 7 Give to the LORD, you families of nations, give to the LORD glory and praise; 8 give to the LORD the glory due his name! (R) 10 Say among the nations the LORD is king. He has made the world firm, not to be moved; he governs the peoples with equity. (R)

G O S P E L

The Bishops are also successors of the apostles. They are our link to the apostolic ministry 2,000 years later. The Church today is the same Church that Jesus established in His ministry and that was birthed in a new way at Pentecost and that constantly redefines itself through its Councils. We are one with all who have gone before us. Let us seek to be faithful, not just to their memory but also to their example of godly living and thus become witnesses for this generation and the generations to come.

Luke 10:1-9 (or Mark 3:31-35)
1 The Lord Jesus appointed seventy-two other disciples whom he sent ahead of him in pairs to every town and place he intended to visit. 2 He said to them, “The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few; so ask the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his harvest. 3 Go on your way; behold, I am sending you like lambs among wolves. 4 Carry no money bag, no sack, no sandals; and greet no one along the way. 5 Into whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this household.’ 6 If a peaceful person lives there, your peace will rest on him; but if not, it will return to you. 7 Stay in the same house and eat and drink what is offered to you, for the laborer deserves his payment. Do not move about from one house to another. 8 Whatever town you enter and they welcome you, eat what is set before you, 9 cure the sick in it and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God is at hand for you.’”

my reflections
think: Let us place ourselves and our resources at the service of the Gospel in imitation of the saints down through the centuries.

------------

EARLY BISHOPS OF THE CHURCH

The structure of ministry within the Church was established as bishop, priest and deacon emerged very early in the life of the Church. We see the foundations of it as early as Paul’s letters and the explicit wording within about 100 years after the death of Christ. Paul writes to both Timothy and Titus in what are sometimes known as the Pastoral Epistles. He writes to them in their capacity as leaders of the local churches he has established in Ephesus and Crete. It is quite clear that Paul intends that there be an institutional element to the leadership structure of the Church albeit one where the charismatic dimension of ministry is not lost.
Unfortunately through the years, the Church has tended to focus on the institutional element to the detriment of the charismatic, and thus while the Church can be very good at preserving structures, it can sometimes lose track of its most vital reason for existence, namely to evangelize all people — to proclaim the Gospel to the ends of the earth. It is easy to see how necessary it is to have structure to guide and coordinate such an ambitious project — it is equally obvious that without the power of the Holy Spirit manifest in the lives of the leaders of the Church through the charisms, such a goal will be impossible.
As we remember Timothy and Titus today, let us pray for our leaders that they will be always guided by the Spirit of God in all that they do and that they will never lose sight of the call to proclaim the Good News of salvation to all men and women. I am sure Timothy and Titus made this goal their foremost concern in their ministries — let us do the same ourselves.
St. Paul would not have entrusted such difficult tasks to men who were not ready for the job; in the same way we need to believe that whatever the shortcomings of our leaders may be, by the grace of the Holy Spirit, they have all that they need to lead us along the path and in the work of salvation.Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
How often do I really set aside time to pray for my leaders? Am I willing to make this sacrifice for their sake and the sake of the Body of Christ?

Holy Spirit, empower and guide all who lead the Church so that they will avail themselves of every gift You offer them in their ministry.

St. Paula, pray for us.

27 January
Wednesday

SOWING THE SEED

“Hear this! A sower went out to sow.” – Mark 4:3

Almost every day, I meet all kinds of people — former officemates, friends, neighbors, business partners, former staff, people who belong to our organization, relatives….
Come to think of it, I would meet hundreds of people a month in different venues. They can be one-on-one meetings, big conferences, small group sessions, etc. Whether I like it or not, I influence them in one way or another.
The big question is, how have I sown the seed of God’s Word in their lives? Am I a sower of His Good News through my words or, more importantly, my actions? Have I used what the Lord has given me (tangible or otherwise) to lead them to Jesus? Have I responded to situations in a way that people are attracted to the Christian way of life?
These are just some compelling questions for us to consider. Let’s sow our seed boldly, trusting that it is His grace that will produce the fruits. Ariel Driz ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Have I shared the Lord lately?

Lord Jesus, teach me to share You effectively and boldly with people I meet every day. Amen.

----------

1st READING

Is it because David has so much blood on his hands that God does not want him to build the Temple? Maybe, maybe not, perhaps it is also to teach us the unwritten lesson that one person cannot achieve everything. Following God as His disciple is a wonderful experience precisely because it a journey with fellow-travelers. We are not on our own. Others will be contributing to the work as well.

2 Samuel 7:4-17
4 That night the LORD spoke to Nathan and said: 5 “Go, tell my servant David, ‘Thus says the LORD, Should you build me a house to dwell in? 6 I have not dwelt in a house from the day on which I led the Israelites out of Egypt to the present, but I have been going about in a tent under cloth. 7 In all my wanderings everywhere among the Israelites, did I ever utter a word to any one of the judges whom I charged to tend my people Israel, to ask Why have you not built me a house of cedar?’ 8 “Now then, speak thus to my servant David, ‘The LORD of hosts has this to say, It was I who took you from the pasture and from the care of the flock to be commander of my people Israel. 9 I have been with you wherever you went, and I have destroyed all your enemies before you. And I will make you famous like the great ones of the earth. 10 I will fix a place for my people Israel; I will plant them so that they may dwell in their place without further disturbance. Neither shall the wicked continue to afflict them as they did of old, 11 since the time I first appointed judges over my people Israel. I will give you rest from all your enemies. The LORD also reveals to you that he will establish a house for you. 12 And when your time comes and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up your heir after you, sprung from your loins, and I will make his kingdom firm. 13 It is he who shall build a house for my name. And I will make his royal throne firm forever. 14 I will be a father to him, and he shall be a son to me. And if he does wrong, I will correct him with the rod of men and with human chastisements; 15 but I will not withdraw my favour from him as I withdrew it from your predecessor Saul, whom I removed from my presence. 16 Your house and your kingdom shall endure forever before me; your throne shall stand firm forever.’ ” 17 Nathan reported all these words and this entire vision to David.

P S A L M

Psalm 89:4-5, 27-28, 29-30
R: For ever I will maintain my love for my servant.
3 [4] “I have made a covenant with my chosen one, I have sworn to David my servant: 4 [5] I will make your dynasty stand for ever and establish your throne for all ages.” (R) 26 [27] “He shall cry to me, ‘You are my father, my God, the Rock that brings me victory!’ 27 [28] I myself make him first-born, Most High over the kings of the earth.” (R) 28 [29] “Forever I will maintain my love for him; my covenant with him stands firm. 29 [30] I will establish his dynasty forever, and his throne as the days of heaven. (R)

G O S P E L

Our lives will bear much more fruit for the Kingdom of God if we focus on having the right attitude of mind and heart so that the Spirit of God will be able to use us for His purpose. Too often, we focus on our struggles and difficulties and forget that we have been given victory over them. Let us shift our eyes and look forward to God’s will as He wants it to unfold for our lives rather than worrying too much about the difficulties this will involve.

Mark 4:1-20
1 On another occasion, Jesus began to teach by the sea. A very large crowd gathered around him so that he got into a boat on the sea and sat down. And the whole crowd was beside the sea on land. 2 And he taught them at length in parables, and in the course of his instruction he said to them, 3 “Hear this! A sower went out to sow. 4 And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Other seed fell on rocky ground where it had little soil. It sprang up at once because the soil was not deep. 6 And when the sun rose, it was scorched and it withered for lack of roots. 7 Some seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it and it produced no grain. 8 And some seed fell on rich soil and produced fruit. It came up and grew and yielded thirty, sixty, and a hundredfold.” 9 He added, “Whoever has ears to hear ought to hear.” 10 And when he was alone, those present along with the Twelve questioned him about the parables. 11 He answered them, “The mystery of the kingdom of God has been granted to you. But to those outside everything comes in parables, 12 so that ‘they may look and see but not perceive, and hear and listen but not understand, in order that they may not be converted and be forgiven.’” 13 Jesus said to them, “Do you not understand this parable? Then how will you understand any of the parables? 14 The sower sows the word. 15 These are the ones on the path where the word is sown. As soon as they hear, Satan comes at once and takes away the word sown in them. 16 And these are the ones sown on rocky ground who, when they hear the word, receive it at once with joy. 17 But they have no root; they last only for a time. Then when tribulation or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. 18 Those sown among thorns are another sort. They are the people who hear the word, 19 but worldly anxiety, the lure of riches, and the craving for other things intrude and choke the word, and it bears no fruit. 20 But those sown on rich soil are the ones who hear the word and accept it and bear fruit thirty and sixty and a hundredfold.”

my reflections
think:
Let us shift our eyes and look forward to God’s will as He wants it to unfold for our lives rather than worrying too much about the difficulties this will involve.

---------------

AVOID SCORCHING YOUR ROOTS!

The Church invites us to reflect on a number of possibilities today in terms of how we embrace the Gospel when we hear it. I want to focus on just one — the scorched roots. I like to picture this image on those who fail to deepen their lives in the truth and thus find themselves led astray by the fads and fashions of the day and age. It is as though they are not willing to allow their life of discipleship to go deeper in relationship with Jesus.
A plant given only a thin layer of soil in which to live will find its roots getting scorched on a hot day because there is no protection from the burning sun. It is the same with our faith — unless we are firmly and deeply rooted in the truth we will not flourish and prosper as human beings. We may survive for a while as long as the challenges do not get too big, but eventually we will discover that we are not firmly rooted in the soil of the truth and we will wither and die. The assault of the lies of sin and the world will be too great for us to endure and they will overcome us. We will be burnt out struggling against them.
However, if we are deeply rooted in the truth, when the struggles and trials come, when the enemy sends his lies to distract and disorient us, we will be able to persevere because we will be founded in the truth of our faith to the point that we will not be moved by fads and fashions, lies and distractions. This is the sort of faith that the world needs today. Society has so compromised the truth of our humanity with its bowing down to the gods of expediency and materialism that it is very difficult for someone not rooted in the truth of their humanity(their being created in the image and likeness of God) to know how to
respond when confronted with the errors and lies of the modern age.
It is no different today as it has been in the past. The truth is always under assault from sin. It just seems that, in certain aspects, the world is coming close to establishing its doctrine rather than that of the truth of the Creator, God. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Where do I look when I seek for truth today? Do I look to the world and its errors for the answers to my questions or is my life firmly rooted in the Word of God?

Holy Spirit, help me to overcome the lies and errors of modern society by building my life on the truth of the Word of God and thus maintaining a faithful witness to the Gospel.

St. Marius, pray for us.

29 January
Friday

DERELECTION OF DUTY

At the turn of the year, when kings go out on campaign… David sent out his officers and the army of Israel…. David however remained in Jerusalem… saw a woman bathing, had relations with her. – 2 Samuel 11:1-4

David’s first sin was not adultery with Bathsheba and then murdering her husband, Uriah. It was his failure to do what was expected of him as king at that time of the year — to go out to war with his men. Instead, he chose to “take a vacation.”
When I heard this interpretation, it made me ponder. The faithful performance of one’s duty at the proper time is important whether one is a king or a commoner. When I am lazy as a government official, coming in late and forgetting my deadlines, my job suffers. I turn in substandard work. Indeed, laziness becomes the workshop of the devil.
I have resolved to do what God expects of me in all the different roles I play. As a princess and daughter of the King. A single mother of five. A daughter of an earthly father. A sister, relative and friend. A contemplative missionary and truly rich ambassador for Christ and country who prays to be a servant to her S.O.U.L. (Spirit; Others, especially OFWs and their families; Unbelievers, unwanteds and unlovables; and Loved ones).
Our God deserves no less. Grace Princesa ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Non-performance of duties at the right time can lead to serious, even sinful and deathly consequences.

Dear Lord, help me to do my God-appointed duties on time.

-----------

1st READING

Idleness is a sin that can have awful consequences. David should be with his troops in battle. Instead he is falling into the sin of lust that will lead to adultery and murder. What a terrible price to pay for a moment of idleness. We need to remain alert against every temptation the enemy brings against us as we never know where they might lead us.

2 Samuel 11:1-4a, 5-10a, 13-17
1 At the turn of the year, when kings go out on campaign, David sent out Joab along with his officers and the army of Israel, and they ravaged the Ammonites and besieged Rabbah. David, however, remained in Jerusalem. 2 One evening David rose from his siesta and strolled about on the roof of the palace. From the roof he saw a woman bathing, who was very beautiful. 3 David had inquiries made about the woman and was told, “She is Bathsheba, daughter of Eliam, and wife of [Joab’s-Uriah the Hittite.” 4 Then David sent messengers and took her. When she came to him, he had relations with her. She then returned to her house. 5 But the woman had conceived, and sent the information to David, “I am with child.” 6 David therefore sent a message to Joab, “Send me Uriah the Hittite.” So Joab sent Uriah to David. 7 When he came, David questioned him about Joab, the soldiers, and how the war was going, and Uriah answered that all was well. 8 David then said to Uriah, “Go down to your house and bathe your feet.” Uriah left the palace, and a portion was sent out after him from the king’s table. 9 But Uriah slept at the entrance of the royal palace with the other officers of his lord, and did not go down to his own house. 10 David was told that Uriah had not gone home. On the day following, 13 David summoned him, and he ate and drank with David, who made him drunk. But in the evening he went out to sleep on his bed among his lord’s servants, and did not go down to his home. 14 The next morning David wrote a letter to Joab which he sent by Uriah. 15 In it he directed, “Place Uriah up front, where the fighting is fierce. Then pull back and leave him to be struck down dead.” 16 So while Joab was besieging the city, he assigned Uriah to a place where he knew the defenders were strong. 17 When the men of the city made a sortie against Joab, some officers of David’s army fell, and among them Uriah the Hittite died.

P S A L M

Psalm 51:3-4, 5-6a, 6bcd-7, 10-11
R: Be merciful, O Lord, for we have sinned.
1 [3] Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness; in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense. 2 [4] Thoroughly wash me from my guilt and of my sin cleanse me. (R) 3 [5] For I acknowledge my offense, and my sin is before me always. 4 [6] “Against you only have I sinned, and done what is evil in your sight.” (R) I have done such evil in your sight that you are just in your sentence, blameless when you condemn. 5 [7] True, I was born guilty, a sinner, even as my mother conceived me. (R) 8 [10] Let me hear the sounds of joy and gladness; the bones you have crushed shall rejoice. 9 [11] Turn away your face from my sins, and blot out all my guilt. (R)

G O S P E L

It is difficult at times to fully separate the good from the bad in a person or a community. Today’s parable encourages us to be watchful against evil overtaking us and to work for the greatest harvest possible. This can be a challenge, as it will involve many delicate decisions that some may not understand. Jesus was not afraid to make such decisions to maximize the fruit of His Gospel proclamation.

Mark 4:26-34
26 Jesus said to the crowds: “This is how it is with the kingdom of God; it is as if a man were to scatter seed on the land 27 and would sleep and rise night and day and the seed would sprout and grow, he knows not how. 28 Of its own accord the land yields fruit, first the blade, then the ear, then the full grain in the ear. 29 And when the grain is ripe, he wields the sickle at once, for the harvest has come.” 30 He said, “To what shall we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable can we use for it? 31 It is like a mustard seed that, when it is sown in the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on the earth. 32 But once it is sown, it springs up and becomes the largest of plants and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the sky can dwell in its shade.” 33 With many such parables he spoke the word to them as they were able to understand it. 34 Without parables he did not speak to them, but to his own disciples he explained everything in private.

my reflections
t h in k : We need to remain alert against every temptation the enemy brings against us as we never know where they might lead us.

-------------

GOD NEVER SLEEPS

One of the great blessings of our God is that He never sleeps. The psalmist tells us that He pours out His gifts on His beloved while they slumber — what a great and generous God we have. Could we possibly ask for anyone better? I think not. Today’s Gospel reminds us that while God asks for our assistance in bringing the Good News of salvation to the ends of the earth, ultimately the work of salvation is up to Him — to see that every person is actually saved.
This parable tells us that while we sleep, the seed of faith is germinating and growing within, hidden in the soil and just waiting for the time to fully develop. I like to use this image to inspire me to pray for a restful night’s sleep so that the work of the Spirit of God is not interrupted during the night. I have no idea what God does in my spirit, in my soul while I sleep, but I trust that it is important and worth praying for on a regular basis.
I am sure each one of us desires to be saved and will do all that we can to open our hearts and lives to the work of the Spirit so that this end is achieved. This means that we ought to take every opportunity to grow in faith and trust in God and what better time than when we are sleeping, as we are not doing much else at that time anyway. I believe God can do whatever He wants in my life if I give Him permission, and I do not want to waste any possible opportunity for Him to convert me. We spend between a quarter and a third of our lives sleeping so it makes a lot of sense to ask God to be working behind the scenes, so to speak, while I sleep. It seems to me that this is what He is telling us He wants to do in today’s Gospel.
Let us not waste a moment of our time, nor a speck of God’s grace, in responding to all that He calls us to be and do for His Kingdom. Our names are written in the Book of Life; let us ensure that they are never erased by living according to the Gospel and inviting God to make us His children at every opportunity presented to us.Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
What agenda do I have as regards working for the Kingdom of God? Am I more concerned with my own kingdom than God’s Kingdom?

Holy Spirit, help me to remain focused on the things that really matter so that I will never lose sight of Your Kingdom and its promises for me.

St. Blath, pray for us.

January
Saturday

WHEN GOD INTRUDES

“Let us cross to the other side.” – Mark 4:35

I was a contented, happy, normal employee in a multinational company preoccupied with attending prayer meetings, Bible studies and actively serving in ministries. I was also hoping I could one day do the latter fulltime.
But I found myself heavily involved in representing the company in international competitions. This derailed my normal day-to- day routine and altered my desired plan. At 30, I was a young manager with an exciting career. I also met the girl of my dreams.
But after 23 years in the electronics industry and with a thriving family business, suddenly my major project got scrapped. At the same time, my wife and I had some deep personal issues with relatives plus business challenges that came our way.
The Lord has a way of intruding in our lives, doesn’t He? He disturbs us when we are too comfortable, or when He needs to fix something in us or in our lives, or when He simply wants us to grow.
I must admit that I still don’t like it. But we are reminded in today’s Gospel, “Quiet! Be still!” As we cross to the other side, He is with us in our boat. Ariel Driz ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
What are God’s intrusions in your life lately? Are you complaining or growing?

Lord Jesus, teach me to recognize Your hand in my life and grant me the grace to respond accordingly — joyfully and peacefully! Amen.

---------------

1st READING

Nathan confronts David with his sin in a very innovative way that causes the latter to realize how horrific it really is. The truth is, all sin is horrific and we ought to do our best to avoid even minor sins, not just the big ones. Little sins inevitably lead to bigger ones. Let us refuse to allow the devil even a foothold in our lives.

2 Samuel 12:1-7a, 10-17
1 The LORD sent Nathan to David, and when he came to him, he said, “Judge this case for me! In a certain town there were two men, one rich, the other poor. 2 The rich man had flocks and herds in great numbers. 3 But the poor man had nothing at all except one little ewe lamb that he had bought. He nourished her, and she grew up with him and his children. She shared the little food he had and drank from his cup and slept in his bosom. She was like a daughter to him. 4 Now, the rich man received a visitor, but he would not take from his own flocks and herds to prepare a meal for the wayfarer who had come to him. Instead he took the poor man’s ewe lamb and made a meal of it for his visitor.” 5 David grew very angry with that man and said to Nathan, “As the LORD lives, the man who has done this merits death! 6 He shall restore the ewe lamb fourfold because he has done this and has had no pity.” 7 Then Nathan said to David: “You are the man! Thus says the LORD God of Israel: ‘The sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised me and have taken the wife of Uriah to be your wife.’ 11 Thus says the LORD: ‘I will bring evil upon you out of your own house. I will take your wives while you live to see it, and will give them to your neighbor. He shall lie with your wives in broad daylight. 12 You have done this deed in secret, but I will bring it about in the presence of all Israel, and with the sun looking down.’ ” 13 Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the LORD.” Nathan answered David, “The LORD on his part has forgiven your sin you shall not die. 14 But since you have utterly spurned the LORD by this deed, the child born to you must surely die.” 15 Then Nathan returned to his house. The LORD struck the child that the wife of Uriah had borne to David, and it became desperately ill. 16 David besought God for the child. He kept a fast, retiring for the night to lie on the ground clothed in sackcloth. 17 The elders of his house stood beside him urging him to rise from the ground; but he would not, nor would he take food with them.

P S A L M
Psalm 51:12-13, 14-15, 16-17
R: Create a clean heart in me, O God.
10 [12] A clean heart create for me, O God, and a steadfast spirit renew within me. 11 [13] Cast me not out from your presence, and your Holy Spirit take not from me. (R) 12 [14] Give me back the joy of your salvation, and a willing spirit sustain in me. 13 [15] I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners shall return to you. (R) 14 [16] Free me from blood guilt, O God, my saving God; then my tongue shall revel in your justice. 15 [17] O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall proclaim your praise. (R)

G O S P E L

Another miracle of Jesus demonstrates His power over the elements. There is nothing that stands outside His authority. As disciples of Jesus we share in this same authority to the degree that we are acting in His name and according to His will. It is important to remember this as we proclaim the Gospel so that we do not give way to temptations to lessen the force of our proclamation, out of fear that we lack the authority to preach certain aspects of the truth.

Mark 4:35-41
35 On that day, as evening drew on, Jesus said to his disciples: “Let us cross to the other side.” 36 Leaving the crowd, they took him with them in the boat just as he was. And other boats were with him. 37 A violent squall came up and waves were breaking over the boat, so that it was already filling up. 38 Jesus was in the stern, asleep on a cushion. They woke him and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?” 39 He woke up, rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Quiet! Be still!” The wind ceased and there was great calm. 40 Then he asked them, “Why are you terrified? Do you not yet have faith?” 41 They were filled with great awe and said to one another, “Who then is this whom even wind and sea obey?”

my reflections
t h i n k : Little sins inevitably lead to bigger ones. Let us refuse to allow the devil even a foothold in our lives.
-----------

WHAT DO WE DO WITH SIN?

It is easy enough to identify the sin in our lives, though at times we can have blind spots (like David) or we can actually rebel against admitting that what we have done is wrong. Be that as it may, what we need to do when we recognize sin is confront it and put it to death. It is absolutely essential that we do not tolerate any sin for one iota of a moment, or else it will stick its foot into the door of our heart, and we will have a hard time getting rid of it.
Sin is never fair; it is always evil and it will take advantage of the smallest mistakes we make. We must be equally ruthless in dealing with such a foe. If not, we will constantly find ourselves “behind the eight ball,” having an enormous struggle trying to get rid of it. Sin, by its nature, will not give up easily. The devil, although he has been defeated, continues to live in the hope that he can gain us for his kingdom. It is important that we do not give him any latitude to work in our lives because I can assure you he will do whatever he can to win us over to his way of thinking and living.
Nathan confronts David with his sin regarding Uriah the Hittite in a very clever manner so that David passes judgment on himself. We must always seek to look at our moral choices with the same sort of objectivity that Nathan helps provide to David — only then can we judge the moral worth of our proposed actions in a dispassionate manner. Feelings are not usually very helpful in determining the moral rectitude of an action. They tend to cloud the issues more than bring them into stark relief.
As we seek to be disciples of Jesus, it is important that we open our hearts to the work of the Holy Spirit who will help us discern what we should do in any given situation. Let us be open to the grace and help of God that He provides us and not insist on doing things on our own strength — a formula that is certain to get us into a lot of trouble. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Do I tend to tolerate sin in my life? Even if the sin is small, little sins lead to big sins. Let us not allow this vicious cycle to begin.

Jesus, help me to discern what is good, true and perfect as regards my life and the decisions I make every day. Let me be humble enough to submit fully to the grace and power of Your Holy Spirit.

St. Hippolytus, pray for us.

Back
Top Bottom