Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

God's Message For You Today

Celebrate God's love through His Word for you this Sunday!

1 May
Sunday

CHANGING OUR FAMILY’S CULTURE

Every day they devoted themselves to… breaking bread in their homes. – Acts 2:46

As a family, there was a time when we would eat with a purple dinosaur named Barney blaring on the TV screen. And while the kids watched, I read Newsweek and my wife answered her phone calls. I must admit, many of our breakfasts, lunches and dinners were chaotic.
One day, my wife said, “Enough is enough. Let’s focus on each other during mealtime. Let’s engage!” I agreed with her. Each meal should be sacred. We had a family meeting and we explained it to the boys.
Since then no purple dinosaurs were allowed during meals. No phone calls accepted unless it was the President on the line. No text messages, too, unless it was Pope Benedict texting me a theological question he wants my opinion about. No newspapers or books or toys near the table.
Instead, we focus on each other, swap stories, ask questions and laugh a lot. At breakfast, we ask each other, “What does your day look like?” At dinnertime, we ask each other, “How was your day?”
It’s been fabulous. (Thank you, Sweets.) That’s what you call culture change.Bo Sanchez ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
How do you break bread with the people who matter in your life?

Thank You, Lord, for sharing with us the beauty and grace of the Eucharist. Through it, may we share Your love with others, too.

-----------

1st READING

The basis of any human society are the traditions and practices that people hold in common. When these are lost or discarded, society loses its roots and becomes directionless. This is basically what we are experiencing today. Society seems to be rejecting its Judeo-Christian roots and embracing a secular relativism that shuns past traditions in favor of individualism. This is a recipe for disaster. The Early Church looked to the teaching and traditions of the Apostles as the basis of their common life. Today, as a society, we need to do the same.

Acts 2:42-47
42 They devoted themselves to the teaching of the apostles and to the communal life, to the breaking of the bread and to the prayers. 43 Awe came upon everyone, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. 44 All who believed were together and had all things in common; 45 they would sell their property and possessions and divide them among all according to each one’s need. 46 Every day they devoted themselves to meeting together in the temple area and to breaking bread in their homes. They ate their meals with exultation and sincerity of heart, 47 praising God and enjoying favor with all the people. And every day the Lord added to their number those who were being saved.

P S A L M

Psalms 118:2-4, 13-15, 22-24
R: Give thanks to the Lord for he is good, his love is everlasting.
2 Let the house of Israel say, “His mercy endures forever.” 3 Let the house of Aaron say, “His mercy endures forever.” 4 Let those who fear the LORD say, “His mercy endures forever.” (R) 13 I was hard pressed and was falling, but the LORD helped me. 14 My strength and my courage is the LORD, and he has been my savior. 15 The joyful shout of victory in the tents of the just: (R) 22 The stone which the builders rejected has become the cornerstone. 23 By the LORD has this been done; it is wonderful in our eyes. 24 This is the day the LORD has made; let us be glad and rejoice in it. (R)

2nd READING

Peter reminds his listeners/readers of the roots of their faith and calls them to be faithful to them. He knows that if the Christian faith is to survive and become a light to all men and women, it will have to be built upon a commonly accepted foundation – namely the teachings and traditions of the Apostles. The Traditions that developed over the years have become the basis of our faith — an essential link to the person of Jesus through those closest to Him in His ministry.

1 Peter 1:3-9
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who in his great mercy gave us a new birth to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you 5 who by the power of God are safeguarded through faith, to a salvation that is ready to be revealed in the final time. 6 In this you rejoice, although now for a little while you may have to suffer through various trials, 7 so that the genuineness of your faith, more precious than gold that is perishable even though tested by fire, may prove to be for praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 8 Although you have not seen him you love him; even though you do not see him now yet believe in him, you rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy, 9 as you attain the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

G O S P E L

Thomas is at first doubtful of the claims of his fellow disciples. He becomes convinced of their message only when he personally sees Jesus. The same can be true for us in that we can be skeptical of the claims of those who say they know Jesus as a friend. However, our skepticism is baseless unless we open our hearts to the same experience. Let us all give God the opportunity to reveal Himself to us as a friend. I believe that God will always honor our searching if we do this.

ALLELUIA
R: Alleluia, alleluia
You believe in me, Thomas, because you have seen me, says the Lord; blessed are they who have not seen me, but still believe!

John 20:19-31
19 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21 Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” 22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.” 24 Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples said to him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said to them, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.” 26 Now a week later his disciples were again inside and Thomas was with them. Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe.” 28 Thomas answered and said to him, “My Lord and my God!” 29 Jesus said to him, “Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.” 30 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples that are not written in this book. 31 But these are written that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that through this belief you may have life in his name.

my reflections
t h i n k : Let us all give God the opportunity to reveal Himself to us as a friend.

---------

TEACHING, LIFE, BREAD AND PRAYERS

There was this story of an old man who, after back-breaking work in the fields, would drop by the church and stay there for hours each and every single day, with gaze focused on the Blessed Sacrament. The pastor sort of got curious and, one day, asked the old man what he did in church for so long every day. The old man answered the priest without batting an eyelash, “I look at Him and He looks at me, and I feel blessed for the day.”
He sure had commitment and dedication, not to mention single-mindedness. In his simple faith, the old man has taught us a whole lot about those values, and a whole lot more, about prayer.
It is hard for postmoderns like us to be focused on anything. Parents would worry about a thousand and one things first thing in the morning: what the children would wear, what they would bring to school, etc. Young adults have their own share of worries: how to blend in with their peer group and still maintain their uniqueness and autonomy; their ability or otherwise to keep up with what is fashionable and cool. Name it,
we have it: issues and concerns that occupy our waking and even our sleeping thoughts.
The early Christians, a very small band of believers then, must have had their own share of worries, issues and concerns, too. They did not exactly wake up to see a society warm and cuddly towards a group of followers of Someone the authorities had just condemned to death recently. They were not exactly liked by the powers that be in those days. And given the spreading rumors that their leader had reportedly risen from the dead, they sure had to watch their back as everyone suddenly became wary of that band of believers.
But their conviction that the Lord is risen led them to commitment and dedication. We all know what it was they committed and dedicated themselves to: His teachings, the communal life, the breaking of bread, the prayers — the whole works done by a serious follower of the Risen Lord. That old man sure got his priorities right! Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

Reflection Question:
How committed are you to live out your Christian life? What area of your spiritual life needs reinforcement?

Risen Lord, help me to rise up, too, and be worthy of my calling as a Christian.

St. Grata, pray for us.

Don't be discouraged! God will be with you through this week.

2 May
Monday

morning offering

For the love of God is this, that we obey his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome, for whatever is born of God conquers the world. – 1 John 5:3-4

I try to start my day at work with a short prayer and reading of the Lord’s Word. It is my way of offering my whole day to him, and acknowledging that He comes first and foremost in all that I do for the day.
On the days that I forget to offer my work day to him, I find myself more stressed — more burdened by the demands of work. I am irritable and more likely to snap and be angry at people. On such days, I feel more tired and spent.
But during the times that I am able to consecrate my work day to the Lord, I find that, without fail, I have more energy to finish the work before me. I am more pleasant in my dealings with my colleagues and officemates. I am generally at peace — confident that the Lord is guiding me in all that I do.
And it all starts by showing my love to the Lord — by consecrating my day to Him. After that, and for the rest of the day, I carry no burdens. Instead, I carry His peace. Jay Catral ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
The Lord’s commandments are not burdensome, because by following them we are steered away from the path of selfishness and sin, and unto the path of righteousness.

Lord, send us Your Holy Spirit to guide us that we may not falter in obeying Your commandments.

----------

1st READING

How we deal with suffering and persecution is often dependent upon the attitude we take toward them. If we think suffering cannot bring good to us we will be in trouble as there will always be an element of suffering in our lives because of the existence of sin. With this as a given we can then develop an understanding and trust in the truth that Scripture reminds us of, namely that God can purify us through suffering and also bring about His redemptive grace through it. Thus the early Christians rejoice at the prospect of suffering for the sake of the Gospel.

Acts 4:23-31
23 After their release Peter and John went back to their own people and reported what the chief priests and elders had told them. 24 And when they heard it, they raised their voices to God with one accord and said, “Sovereign Lord, maker of heaven and earth and the sea and all that is in them, 25 you said by the holy Spirit through the mouth of our father David, your servant: ‘Why did the Gentiles rage and the peoples entertain folly? 26 The kings of the earth took their stand and the princes gathered together against the Lord and against his anointed.’ 27 Indeed they gathered in this city against your holy servant Jesus whom you anointed, Herod and Pontius Pilate, together with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, 28 to do what your hand and your will had long ago planned to take place. 29 And now, Lord, take note of their threats, and enable your servants to speak your word with all boldness, 30 as you stretch forth your hand to heal, and signs and wonders are done through the name of your holy servant Jesus.” 31 As they prayed, the place where they were gathered shook, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness.

P S A L M

Psalms 2:1-3, 4-7, 7-9
R: Blessed are all who take refuge in the Lord.
1 Why do the nations rage and the peoples utter folly? 2 The kings of the earth rise up, and the princes conspire together against the LORD and against his anointed: 3 “Let us break their fetters and cast their bonds from us!” (R) 4 He who is throned in heaven laughs; the LORD derides them. 5 Then in anger he speaks to them; he terrifies them in his wrath. 6 “I myself have set up my king on Zion, my holy mountain.” 7 I will proclaim the decree of the LORD. (R) The LORD said to me, “You are my son; this day I have begotten you. 8 Ask of me and I will give you the nations for an inheritance and the ends of the earth for your possession. 9 You shall rule them with an iron rod; you shall shatter them like an earthen dish.” (R)

G O S P E L

To be baptized is not really enough to guarantee our salvation. Yes, baptism is the sacramental means by which we receive the gift of salvation, but we must learn to live out the graces of baptism if salvation is going to have any lasting effect upon us. Salvation is a dynamic reality that is lived in relationship with another, namely God. It is not a static reality that is received and ends with reception. This is why the saints talk about a living relationship with God being the strength and motivation of their ministries.

ALLELUIA
If then you were raised with Christ, seek what is above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.

John 3:1-8
1 There was a Pharisee named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 He came to Jesus at night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God, for no one can do these signs that you are doing unless God is with him.” 3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born from above.” 4 Nicodemus said to him, “How can a person once grown old be born again? Surely he cannot reenter his mother’s womb and be born again, can he?” 5 Jesus answered, “Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit. 6 What is born of flesh is flesh and what is born of spirit is spirit. 7 Do not be amazed that I told you, ‘You must be born from above.’ 8 The wind blows where it wills, and you can hear the sound it makes, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes; so it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

my reflections
t h i n k : Salvation is a dynamic reality that is lived in relationship with another, namely God.

-----------

SPEAKING THE WORD WITH BOLDNESS

It was difficult enough for this group of “upstarts” – followers of the Galilean, widely rumored to have done some unheard of “return” from the land of Hades, the realm of the dead, to be seen anywhere in public. But what made it worse for Peter and John was when they came to the rescue of a crippled beggar and told him to “rise up and walk.” Now that was too much for the authorities to bear. They were made to face the equivalent of a senate investigation — the Sanhedrin.
But we do know that Peter and John passed the rigorous scrutiny of the investigators. What we may not know, however, is what it took for them to go beyond fear and human respect and to come out of it in one piece. The first reading today offers us a clue.
Let’s get it straight from the horse’s mouth.
“Why are you amazed at this,” they asked the crowds, “as if we had made him walk by our own power or piety? No, it was not us, but the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and Jacob. It is He who has glorified his servant Jesus.”
As I write, I am reminded of the big “mining” industry all over the world — the “I, Me and Mine” business that we all are prone to, the propensity to claim as our own what is inherently not ours, the tendency to attribute to our talents, real or imagined, the good things that come out of our puny human efforts.
But there is one thing, though, that stands out in the case of Peter and John, apart from the fact that they did not fall prey to this “mining industry.” They spoke with boldness. They spoke with courage. And as we saw yesterday, they were on fire with commitment and dedication.
But then again, to whom did they attribute all this to? The first reading from the Acts of the Apostles (4:23-31) tells us in no uncertain terms. They prayed for it. “Enable Your servants to speak Your word with boldness.” And what they asked for, they got. Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

Reflection Question:
What do you pray for? Speak to the Lord with courage and boldness.

Lord, grant me not only courage and boldness, but also faith and trust that You are listening to my prayers. Amen.

St. Joseph Luu, pray for us.

did God purpose for free will to be without limits? Imagine a busy city without any traffic laws, where everybody could drive in any direction at any speed. Would you want to drive under those conditions? No, that would be traffic anarchy and would surelyresult in many accidents.
So too with God's gift of free will. Unlimited freedom would mean anarchy in society. There have to be laws to guide human activities. God's Word says: "Behave like free men, and never use your freedom as an excuse for wickedness." ( 1 Peter 2:16 , JB ) God wants free will to be regulated for the common good. He purposed for us to have, not total freedom, but relative freedom, subject to the rule of law. Whose laws were we designed to obey? Another part of the text at 1 Peter 2:16 ( JB ) states:"You are slaves of no oneexcept God." This does not mean an oppressive slavery, but, rather, it means that we were designed to be happiest when in subjection to God's laws. ( Matthew 22:35-40 ) His laws, more than any laws devised by humans, provide the bestguide. "I, Jehovah, am your God, the One teaching you to benefit yourself, the One causingyou to tread in the way in which you should walk."— Isaiah 48:17 .
At the same time, God's laws allow for great freedom of choice within their boundaries. This results in variety and makes the human family fascinating. Think of the different types of food, clothing, music, art, and homes throughout the world. We surely prefer to have our choice in such matters rather thanhave some other person decide for us.Thus we were created to be happiest when subjectto God's laws for human behavior. It is similar to being subject to God's physical laws. For instance, if we ignore thelaw of gravity and jump off a high place, we will be injured or killed. If we ignore the internal laws of our body and stop eating food, drinking water, or breathing air, we will die.
As surely as we were created with the need to submit to God's physical laws, we were created with the need to submit to God's moral and sociallaws. ( Matthew 4:4 ) Humans were not created to be independent of their Maker and be successful. The prophet Jeremiah says: "It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step. Correct me, O Jehovah." ( Jeremiah 10:23, 24 ) So in every way humans were created to live under God's rulership, not their own.Obedience to God's laws would not have been burdensome for our first parents. Instead, it wouldhave worked for their welfare and that of the entire human family. Hadthe first pair stayed within the limits of God's laws, all would have beenwell. In fact, we would now be living in a wonderful paradise of pleasure as a loving, united human family! There would not have been wickedness, suffering, and death.

This Tuesday, never forget how important you are to God.

May
Tuesday

Feast of Sts. Philip and James, Apostles

SINGLE

And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. – John 14:13

I am Joyce Sosoban, single for a long while now — since I was born actually.
There was a time when I prayed if I should stay single forever, become a nun or get married. After much prayer, I realized that I was for marriage. But that was quite sometime ago. There came a time when I was unsure if I could serve the Lord well if I got married. Still, I want to get married. I don’t know what my state in life will be by the time you read this, but for now, my prayer seems to have been unanswered.
There were times when I felt really down, especially when a relationship I had hoped for went pffft. I had to take stock of reality once again: I am alone.
You might wonder, do I, therefore, think God has been inconsistent with His Word in today’s Gospel? I don’t think so. For one, I’m not God — and, thank you very much, I am happy He is and I’m not. So I’m still perfectly sure He never lies. In the end, as long as I can give glory to Him in my life — in joy or pain — that is good enough for me. Single or not.
That I truly pray for. Joy Sosoban ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Do you doubt God because of your unanswered prayer?

Dear Lord, help me to believe that You are working out what is best for me and will answer me in Your time.

---------------

1st READING

The nature of the Gospel is that it does not change. What Jesus passed on to His disciples is exactly the same message that we pass on to the next generation of Christians today! Yes, the language in which these truths are expressed may have changed, but the fundamental truths have not. Paul affirms this as he writes to the Corinthian Community and affirms that his message is not something of his own invention or innovation. The means of proclaiming the Gospel may change, but its message is and always will remain immutable.

1 Corinthians 15:1-8
1 I am reminding you, brothers and sisters, of the Gospel I preached to you, which you indeed received and in which you also stand. 2 Through it you are also being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. 3 For I handed on to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures; 4 that he was buried; that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures; 5 that he appeared to Kephas, then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at once, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 After that he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. 8 Last of all, as to one born abnormally, he appeared to me.

P S A L M

Psalms 19:2-3, 4-5
R: Their message goes out through all the earth.
1 [2] The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament proclaims his handiwork. 2 [3] Day pours out the word to day, and night to night imparts knowledge. (R) 3 [4] Not a word nor a discourse whose voice is not heard; 4 [5] through all the earth their voice resounds, and to the ends of the world, their message. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus tells His disciples that He is the Way, the Truth and the Life. These three descriptions of salvation could be the basis of many reflections. Therefore, let us be aware that it is a great mistake to limit our understanding and expectation of the ways and means by which God will work in our lives. There is nothing limited about our God except that which is logically impossible. God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit will continue to surprise us in our faith walks so long as we remain open to their working in our lives. Let us make a commitment to keep the doors open wide to God so that He can fill us with His goodness, lead us with His truth and transform us in His love.

ALLELUIA
I am the way, the truth, and the life, says the Lord; Philip, whoever has seen me has seen the Father.
John 14:6-14
6 Jesus said to Thomas, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you know me, then you will also know my Father. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” 8 Philip said to him, “Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else, believe because of the works themselves. 12 Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it.”

my reflections
think: Let us make a commitment to keep the doors open wide to God so that He can fill us with His goodness, lead us with His truth and transform us in His love.

-------------

THAT WILL BE ENOUGH FOR US

“Pinoy Henyo” of GMA 7’s lunchtime program Eat Bulagahas taken the whole Philippines (and the Pinoy diaspora all over the world) by storm. The game is now played in almost every birthday party, every reunion or Christmas gathering of friends and family where Pinoys find themselves together with plenty of time to spare.
We all know what it is about — basically a search for the exact right word or concept, with only a “yes” or “no” for clues from the teammate. One is always in search and for those who follow a certain logic, they stand greater chances of getting the right answer. But, with logic and all, it all boils down to educated guesswork. Today, our saints of the day remind us about searching and finding. Philip was one “discoverer” who did not keep silent about his big find: “We have found the one about whom Moses wrote.” James, the great apostle, according to long standing tradition, went to far-flung places and implanted the Church in Compostela, Spain, prior to his beheading in Jerusalem under Herod Agrippa. Philip, ever on the quest, had it in him to seek for solutions to whatever predicament he found himself in. He asked that famous question when crowds followed the Lord out in the desert: “Where can we buy enough food to feed them all?”
Philip was in search of what was “enough.” He was on a quest for the ultimate. Today’s Gospel shows us this much: “Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.”
Christian life is a quest for our “enough.” Paul Tillich the philosopher has a big word for this — “ultimate concern” — compared to whom all else pales, and beyond whom there ought to be no other. It is a little like playing “Pinoy Henyo,” except that we are in search, not just for a term or concept that can be answered with a “yes” or “no,” and not just for a few thousand pesos reward.
Searching and finding — this is what we Christians are engaged in. And our quest ends when we find our “enough” — God and His kingdom! Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

Reflection Question:
Have you found your “enough?”

Lord, may my heart find its rest in You.

St. Philip of Zell, pray for us.

Why did God create us? Find the answer below! Just listen to the mp3

Attachments

• la_E_06.mp3
    2.2 MB
See Him beside you this whole Wednesday

4 May
Wednesday

NANAY’s healing

“Everyone who believes in Him might not perish...” – John 3:16

Nanay’s blood sugar was so high that we had to go back and forth to the hospital. To make matters worse, she vomited and moved blood profusely. It was difficult for me to care for her all by myself but I had to act quickly. She was already malnourished and looking like a scarecrow!
We were refused admission to the charity ward many times so I decided to have her admitted in the pay ward.
She underwent endoscopy and colonoscopy, which made me nervous remembering the same procedures were done on the late ex-President Cory Aquino before her death. Will my mother die, too? I asked myself.
Other worrisome incidents also happened but God mercifully took care of them. Despite the erroneous entry of my mother’s name as my dependent, we were able to claim Philhealth benefits. Then we didn’t have a discharge clearance due to non-payment of the doctors’ professional fees. But the doctor’s secretary said, “Ma’am, God heard your prayers. My bosses gave you a bigger discount than what you asked for!”
Nanay is now 81 and doing very well. Beth Corral ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Jesus loves me that much – you, too! He will give whatever is best for you and me.

Nothing is impossible with You, Lord. Thank You for Nanay’s healing.

----------------

1st READING

It seems remarkable that the leaders of the Jewish people failed to recognize that something extraordinary was going on with the proclamation of the Gospel of Jesus. That men could “escape” from prison through doors that remained locked seems to be a good indicator that they should have heeded more carefully. Yet, as there is no point worrying about something we cannot change, the question that we have to ask ourselves is, “How are we going to respond to the story as it is presented to us today?” It is the nature of the Gospel proclamation and all that goes with it that it demands from the hearer a response. To ignore the Gospel is a risky business as we will all eventually have to give an account for our actions.

Acts 5:17-26
17 The high priest rose up and all his companions, that is, the party of the Sadducees, and, filled with jealousy, 18 laid hands upon the apostles and put them in the public jail. 19 But during the night, the angel of the Lord opened the doors of the prison, led them out, and said, 20 “Go and take your place in the temple area, and tell the people everything about this life.” 21 When they heard this, they went to the temple early in the morning and taught. When the high priest and his companions arrived, they convened the Sanhedrin, the full senate of the Israelites, and sent to the jail to have them brought in. 22 But the court officers who went did not find them in the prison, so they came back and reported, 23 “We found the jail securely locked and the guards stationed outside the doors, but when we opened them, we found no one inside.” 24 When they heard this report, the captain of the temple guard and the chief priests were at a loss about them, as to what this would come to. 25 Then someone came in and reported to them, “The men whom you put in prison are in the temple area and are teaching the people.” 26 Then the captain and the court officers went and brought them in, but without force, because they were afraid of being stoned by the people.

P S A L M
Psalms 34:2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9
R: The Lord hears the cry of the poor.
1 [2] I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall be ever in my mouth. 2 [3] Let my soul glory in the LORD; the lowly will hear me and be glad. (R) 3 [4] Glorify the LORD with me, let us together extol his name. 4 [5] I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. (R) 5 [6] Look to him that you may be radiant with joy, and your faces may not blush with shame. 6 [7] When the poor one called out, the LORD heard, and from all his distress he saved him. (R) 7 [8] The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them. 8 [9] Taste and see how good the LORD is; blessed the man who takes refuge in him. (R)

G O S P E L

It is important that we remember that God does not have an intention to condemn us for our sins but to offer us forgiveness if we want it. These two options are at the opposite end of the spectrum of possibilities. Let us be thankful that our God is merciful and compassionate and that we can be sure that He does all in His power to help us follow Him as His disciples.
2 Chronicles 21-22
ALLELUIA
God so loved the world that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone who believes in him might have eternal life.

John 3:16-21
16 God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him. 18 Whoever believes in him will not be condemned, but whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. 19 And this is the verdict, that the light came into the world, but people preferred darkness to light, because their works were evil. 20 For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come toward the light, so that his works might not be exposed. 21 But whoever lives the truth comes to the light, so that his works may be clearly seen as done in God.

my reflections
t h i n k : We can be sure that He does all in His power to help us follow Him as His disciples.

--------------

LIVING THE TRUTH AND COMING TO THE LIGHT

The national elections held last year are a case study on truth and the coming to the light of many things about the lives of candidates. We saw a lot of muckraking, mud-slinging, and a whole lot more in the dirty tricks department coming to the fore in the run-up towards election day. In a very real sense, what was hidden often came to light and, thanks to the often close (and biased) scrutiny of either a hostile or friendly media outfit, the fates of certain candidates were either sealed or seared.
But this refers to nothing more than superficial “truth” co-opted for shallow political ends.
The saints give ample testimony to the power of a higher brand of truth — evangelical and moral truth, and how it ultimately leads to the light. No earthly power has yet managed to upstage what even Gandhi calls the “force of truth” (satyagraha). Envy and jealousy temporarily knocked out” individuals like St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina, St. Benedict Menni and many others. But you can’t keep a good man down forever. One of my favorite biographies of saints is precisely that of Benedict Menni, the founder of the Hospitaller Sisters of the Sacred Hearts. Entitled KO in Terra; OK in Cielo (KO on Earth; OK in Heaven), it tells of the heroic moral sufferings that St. Benedict endured in his lifetime, even in his exile in France where he died. But in the end, the truth prevailed. His detractors are now forgotten, but his name has come to the light of earthly and heavenly glory.
This is the truth that also comes to light in the stories that we read daily from the Acts of the Apostles, including today’s first reading. The apostles did many signs and wonders. The Sanhedrin and the authorities were at their wits’ end, trying to quell their rising popularity, to no avail, “because they were afraid of being stoned by the people.”
We all have our own stories to tell of bitter undeserved pain. But today’s readings, along with the examples of the saints, ought to convince us of this: living the truth is never far from coming to the light. Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

Reflection Question:
How do I handle criticisms against me that are not founded on truth?

Lord, grant me the grace to always seek to live in the truth.

St. Venerius, pray for us.

Be blessed by His Creative Word this Thursday!

5 May
Thursday

SIN

The God of our ancestors raised Jesus, though you had him killed by hanging him on a tree.” – Acts 5:30

Lenten season is just over. Whenever I go through the Way of the Cross, I feel guilty for the times I give in to temptation and for the many times I commit sin. Then I pray, “Lord, I am sorry because my sins have added weight to Your suffering and have caused You to die on the Cross.”
Sometimes, despite the prompting of the Holy Spirit, I still give in to tempting circumstances. In spite of regular spiritual nourishment, I find it easy to sin — giving false judgments, being sarcastic, mismanaging my finances, putting off for the next day what I can do today, eating food that would trigger pain, harbouring false pride, telling lies, giving in to laziness, committing sins of omission, and the list goes on and on.
I just can’t imagine if I have to go through the same ordeal that Jesus went through whenever I sin! I couldn’t bear it. May I always see the consequences of sin, more so the fact that I sadden God’s heart whenever I sin. I’m sorry, Lord. Sol Saura ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Do you realize the consequences whenever you sin?

Have mercy on me, O God, in Your goodness; in Your compassion, blot out all my sins.

------------

1st READING

conflict between earthly authorities and their faith beliefs. As the Church understands it today according to the notion of freedom of religion, the Apostles have the right to express and propagate their faith. No one has the right to deprive a person of freedom of religion unless that religion happens to infringe the rights or human dignity of others. Every individual has the right to choose their own expression of faith as long as it does not harm others. We should respect this right when we evangelize and recognize that coercion has no place in the work of evangelization.

Acts 5:27-33
27 When the court officers had brought the Apostles in and made them stand before the Sanhedrin, the high priest questioned them, 28 “We gave you strict orders did we not, to stop teaching in that name. Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and want to bring this man’s blood upon us.” 29 But Peter and the apostles said in reply, “We must obey God rather than men. 30 The God of our ancestors raised Jesus, though you had him killed by hanging him on a tree. 31 God exalted him at his right hand as leader and savior to grant Israel repentance and forgiveness of sins. 32 We are witnesses of these things, as is the Holy Spirit that God has given to those who obey him.” 33 When they heard this, they became infuriated and wanted to put them to death.

P S A L M
Psalms 34:2, 9, 17-18, 19-20
R: The Lord hears the cry of the poor.

1 [2] I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall be ever in my mouth. 8 [9] Taste and see how good the LORD is; blessed the man who takes refuge in him. (R) 16 [17] The LORD confronts the evildoers, to destroy remembrance of them from the earth. 17 [18] When the just cry out, the LORD hears them, and from all their distress he rescues them. (R) 18 [19] The LORD is close to the brokenhearted; and those who are crushed in spirit he saves. 19 [20] Many are the troubles of the just man, but out of them all the LORD delivers him. (R)

G O S P E L

The only way we can really assure ourselves of eternal damnation is to deliberately choose to reject having anything to do with Jesus. If we choose to cut Jesus out of our lives then we place ourselves in the mortal peril of damnation. Let us pray that we will never be so crass to do such a thing and that, on the contrary, we will always open our hearts to the presence of Jesus and welcome Him into our lives each day.

ALLELUIA
You believe in me, Thomas, because you have seen me, says the Lord; blessed are those who have not seen, but still believe!

John 3:31-36
31 The one who comes from above is above all. The one who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of earthly things. But the one who comes from
heaven [is above all]. 32 He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. 33 Whoever does accept his testimony certifies that God is trustworthy. 34 For the one whom God sent speaks the words of God. He does not ration his gift of the Spirit. 35 The Father loves the Son and has given everything over to him. 36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever disobeys the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God remains upon him.

my reflections
think: Every individual has the right to choose their expression of faith as long as it does not harm others.

------------

FILLING THE WORLD WITH GOD’S TEACHINGS

The 2010 elections proved one thing among many others: that ads have a way of influencing people’s choices and decisions. Huge spending for media exposure does pay handsomely in terms of survey ratings and potential victory.
Small wonder then that EDSA, the foremost artery that interconnects several Metro Manila cities from south to north, is filled with billboards and humongous tarpaulins every inch along the way. Commercial “teachings” fill the entire metropolis, enough to sway people’s preferences.
Teresa Tomei, a savvy media practitioner and communications expert, speaks about the “noise” that fills our daily lives 24/7. We are literally filled to the brim with the “teachings” of post-modernity and elite globalization.
We, Church people, may not be expected to be able to go against the tide of what Elaine Robinson calls the “media moment,” but we are called to do something similar. We are called to do as the apostles did soon after the Lord rose and ascended to heaven. They did it well enough as to merit a complaint from the Sanhedrin: “We gave you strict orders to stop teaching in that name. Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and want to bring this man’s blood upon us.”
Last year, the mainstream media had the time of their lives analyzing to death the failings of one celebrity golf player. Last year, too, on the home front, we were barraged with so much noise of the political kind — ads that build up candidates and destroy their opponents.
There is power and efficacy when the whole city and the world are filled consistently with focused “teachings” and ideologies.
Too bad, too sad, that the rousing call made by the Second Plenary Council of the Philippines still remains to be done — the late Pope John Paul II’s very same passionate call for a “new evangelization.”
Today’s first reading reminds us of precisely this — the need to fill “all of Jerusalem” with God’s teachings.Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

Reflection Question:
Whose teachings influence my life — God’s or the world’s?

Lord, help me to tune in more to Your teachings than to the world’s.

St. Hilary, pray for us.

Offer your hardships and trials to the Lord this Friday

6 May
Friday

AND GOD WILL SEE YOU THROUGH

For if this endeavor or this activity is of human origin, it will destroy itself. – Acts 5:38

“Sister, I’m afraid to take it up as a career,” I told my retreat directress when I realized that I have the gift of writing.
When she asked why, I said, “Because I feel that I’d dry up. I fear that I won’t be able to sustain it.”
“That’s where you are wrong. If it indeed is God’s gift to you, He will see you through.”
And so it came to pass. After 10 years of writing part-time, here I am now, writing full-time for the Lord.
In the same way, after 20 years, Kerygma is still around — changing people’s lives, bringing more souls closer to God and giving birth to Kerygma Conference, the biggest Catholic event of its kind in the country.
It has not been an easy journey — my 10 years or Kerygma’s 20 years — but God certainly writes straight with crooked lines. There were financial difficulties, relationship problems and all sorts of trials, but when God is behind the task, nothing can destroy it.
It’s true what my directress said. God will see you through when you’re doing His work. I’m glad I trusted in her wisdom. Tess V. Atienza ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Do you strongly believe that God is behind what you are doing right now?

Lord, affirm me in what I’m doing if it’s according to Your will.

----------

1st READING

Gamaliel is obviously a man well versed in the theories of logic or perhaps very knowledgeable about history, or even both. When it comes to faith — and here the new Christian religion is not really repudiating Judaism, just taking it another step further — the Jewish authorities ought to have been happy to adopt a wait-and-see attitude and then evaluate Christianity on the basis of its fruits in a few years’ time. As it appened, they tended to adopt an adversarial attitude that inevitably led to an either-or situation. People were eventually forced to choose between Judaism and Christianity.

Acts 5:34-42
34 A Pharisee in the Sanhedrin named Gamaliel, a teacher of the law, respected by all the people, stood up, ordered the men to be put outside for a short time, 35 and said to them, “Fellow Israelites, be careful what you are about to do to these men. 36 Some time ago, Theudas appeared, claiming to be someone important, and about four hundred men joined him, but he was killed, and all those who were loyal to him were disbanded and came to nothing. 37 After him came Judas the Galilean at the time of the census. He also drew people after him, but he too perished and all who were loyal to him were scattered. 38 So now I tell you, have nothing to do with these men, and let them go. For if this endeavor or this activity is of human origin, it will destroy itself. 39 But if it comes from God, you will not be able to destroy them; you may even find yourselves fighting against God.” They were persuaded by him. 40 After recalling the apostles, they had them flogged, ordered them to stop speaking in the name of Jesus, and dismissed them. 41 So they left the presence of the Sanhedrin, rejoicing that they had been found worthy to suffer dishonor for the sake of the name. 42 And all day long, both at the temple and in their homes, they did not stop teaching and proclaiming the Christ, Jesus.

P S A L M

Psalms 27:1, 4, 13-14
R: One thing I seek: to dwell in the house of the Lord.
1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom should I fear? The LORD is my life’s refuge; of whom should I be afraid? (R) 4 One thing I ask of the LORD; this I seek, to dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, that I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD and contemplate his temple. (R) 13 I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD in the land of the living. 14 Wait for the LORD with courage; be stout-hearted, and wait for the LORD. (R)

G O S P E L

This miracle of the feeding of the many is the only one that occurs in all four Gospels. I do not believe that this is an accident: it is the miracle that reflects to us the fourfold action in the Eucharist of taking, blessing, breaking and giving bread; it is the miracle that assures us that God provides for our needs as a community; it is the miracle that emphasizes the compassion of God in that He does not want the people to go hungry.

ALLELUIA
One does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.

John 6:1-15
1 Jesus went across the Sea of Galilee. 2 A large crowd followed him, because they saw the signs he was performing on the sick. 3 Jesus went up on the mountain, and there he sat down with his disciples. 4 The Jewish feast of Passover was near. 5 When Jesus raised his eyes and saw that a large crowd was coming to him, he said to Philip, “Where can we buy enough food for them to eat?” 6 He said this to test him, because he himself knew what he was going to do. 7 Philip answered him, “Two hundred days’ wages worth of food would not be enough for each of them to have a little.” 8 One of his disciples, Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter, said to him, 9 “There is a boy here who has five barley loaves and two fish; but what good are these for so many?” 10 Jesus said, “Have the people recline.” Now there was a great deal of grass in that place. So the men reclined, about five thousand in number. 11 Then Jesus took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed them to those who were reclining, and also as much of the fish as they wanted. 12 When they had had their fill, he said to his disciples, “Gather the fragments left over, so that nothing will be wasted.” 13 So they collected them, and filled twelve wicker baskets with fragments from the five barley loaves that had been more than they could eat. 14 When the people saw the sign he had done, they said, “This is truly the Prophet, the one who is to come into the world.” 15 Since Jesus knew that they were going to come and carry him off to make him king, he withdrew again to the mountain alone.

my reflections
t h i n k : The miracle of the feeding of the many is the miracle that assures us that God provides for our needs as a community.

---------

FOR THE SAKE OF THE NAME

There are names that people of every race and culture simply never forget. They are names that stand for great, magnanimous or heroic deeds done by individuals in the history of peoples and nations. Whole populations rally behind such names; they find common cause and common ground all because of the names, and they muster enough strength and courage because of the same.
I remember as a child how my father used to tell me about great names in our small town, Mendez, Cavite. To date, I still have not forgotten those names: the founder of the town, the first town mayor, names of prominent individuals such as the Aure brothers, who cut out, or at least dreamt, of a bright future for our small fledgling town as it began taking baby steps and it weaned itself away from its mother town, Alfonso.
Today, the first reading speaks about the name “above every other name.” We know that biblically speaking, the name stands for the person. To speak of The Name, therefore, is to speak about God, whose name in the Old Testament tradition is unutterable. Those few names I remember who plotted out our small town’s future did not exactly find everything slick and easy. They sure suffered. They paid dearly for their vision. And all this on account of a dream.
But in the case of the apostles, they suffered on account of The Name — on account of their Lord, God and Master. The famous Gamaliel himself tried to dissuade them from “speaking in the name of Jesus,” but despite the flogging and the warning, we are told that “they did not stop teaching and proclaiming the Messiah, Jesus.” Unlike in my case, the apostles did not just get to hear about a great name passed on for posterity. They did not just receive a quick glance at History for Dummies. They knew The Name first hand. They lived with Him, suffered and even died with Him, as Peter and James eventually did. They “knew Him in whom they believed” … and did everything “for the sake of the Name!” Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

Reflection Question:
How do I want people to remember me when they hear my name long after I’m gone?

Lord, You gave me my name. At the end of my life, may I be worthy enough to see You face to face and thank You for it.

St. Lucius of Cyrene, pray for us.

"Can I Worship God in My
Own Way?"
A NEED ALL OF US SHARE
YOU NEED FOOD. You
need water. You
need air. You need
some measure of
shelter and
protection from the
elements. These are
needs not only of
every human but also
of countless billions
of other living
creatures on this
planet. There is one
need, however, that
is unique to humans.
What is it?
Canadian sociologist
Reginald W. Bibby
wrote: "People have
needs that only
religion can
address." And in its
February 2000 issue,
the journal American
Sociological Review
printed an article
that said: "Spiritual
concerns will
probably always be
part of the human
outlook."
Yes, throughout history
humans have felt a need
to worship. For centuries
most have turned to
organized religion to fill
that need. But things are
changing. In many
industrialized nations—
such as North America
and Northern Europe—
more and more people
are abandoning their
churches. Does that
trend spell the end of
religion? Hardly.
"Reports of religion's
death are greatly
exaggerated," writes the
Swedish newspaper
Svenska Dagbladet. What
is replacing the
traditional churches? The
paper continues: "The
new thing is that we do
not belong to any church.
Instead, we can pick and
choose and compose an
acceptable mixture from
the global religious
market. . . . It can
encompass anything from
healing crystals to a
Buddhist monk's mantle.
When you get tired of
your selection, you can
easily and conveniently
change."
Researchers of the
sociology of religion
refer to this trend as
"private religion" or
"invisible religion."
Sociologist Bibby, quoted
previously, coined the
phrase "religion à la
carte." Others refer to
such faiths as "tailor-
made" or "according to
taste." In some
traditionally Christian
countries, the largest
religious group is now
made up of people who,
in effect, have their own
personal religion.
Consider the results of a
survey that was carried
out in Sweden, one of the
world's most secularized
countries. The survey
found that 2 out of 3
people considered
themselves to be
Christians "in their own
personal way." Some
said: "I have my own
view of Christianity," "I
feel strange in church,"
"I don't like to go to
church and listen to
priests," or "I can go into
my private room and
pray by myself." Many
were inclined to believe
in reincarnation or in
fate. Most said that they
believed that some form
of divine force or power
may exist but that they
could not define it.
Another survey found
that many people
reserve their religious
feelings for times when
they are outdoors,
enjoying earth's natural
settings. A young female
farmer said: "When
you're out in the woods
and fields, that's when
you're closest to God, I
think." Another person
interviewed, who did not
consider himself
religious, explained:
"When I go out in the
woods, I feel as if it were
a huge temple. . . . And
who is in control of it, I
don't know, but I feel it."
Some described nature
as holy, divine, and awe-
inspiring and said that
being in its presence
gave them renewed
strength, peace, and
harmony. As a summary,
one interviewer
concluded his report:
"God has moved out into
the woods."
Commenting on a recent
trend to seek spirituality
in nature, one researcher
concluded: "God has
moved out into the
woods"
This trend is noticeable
in many parts of the
world today. Thomas
Luckmann, an American
specialist in the sociology
of religion, spoke of
church-oriented religion
as being pushed aside in
industrial societies and
being replaced by a
"social form of religion."
The individual, in effect,
forms a philosophy of life
by picking out ideas
about spiritual matters
and then combining
these notions into his
own private religion.
You may wonder, 'Are
the established religions
and churches really being
pushed to the fringes of
society? If so, why?'

May 7, 2011

IMPOSSIBLE

“Don’t be afraid… it is I.” – John 6: 20

I’d be afraid, too. Scared. Terrified. See someone walking on water? Unless he’s David Blaine or any magician-entertainer. Because I know there must be a trick behind it.
Or unless he’s Jesus walking on water!
Now why would the Apostles be scared out of their wits in seeing Jesus do that? Haven’t they actually seen Jesus perform more awesome miracles? Multiplying bread and fish, making the blind see, the lame walk and even raise the dead to life?
Ahh, but we always get shocked at the impossible, forgetting that “impossible” is not in God’s vocabulary.
So we doubt that Jesus can heal cancer, or can help you out of your enormous debt, or can mend your broken relationships, or can forgive your worst sin.
He can’t be walking on water, too!
Maybe it’s time we start believing again that Jesus does not only walk on water. He can even make you walk with Him!
Learn the secret: Don’t be afraid. Believe it is Jesus who walks on water… with you.Alvin Barcelona ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Are you praying for something you think may be impossible? Close your eyes. See Jesus. And believe!

Dear Jesus, nothing is impossible for You. Let me hold Your hand. And walk on water, too. Amen.

--------------

1st READING

Bishops and priests today would do well to reflect upon this passage at the beginning of every day. The Apostles recognize the priority of the ministry as regards prayer and preaching. Today, ministry seems to be evermore preoccupied with administration. Sure, the administration work has to be done, but really, how much of it needs to be done by the priest or bishop? It is time that we recognized that there are others, whether volunteers or employed, who can take a lot of this load off our ordained ministers and leave them free to be devoted to the tasks for which they have been ordained.

Acts 6:1-7
1 As the number of disciples continued to grow, the Hellenists complained against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution. 2 So the Twelve called together the community of the disciples and said, “It is not right for us to neglect the word of God to serve at table. 3 Brothers, select from among you seven reputable men, filled with the Spirit and wisdom, whom we shall appoint to this task, 4 whereas we shall devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” 5 The proposal was acceptable to the whole community, so they chose Stephen, a man filled with faith and the Holy Spirit, also Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicholas of Antioch, a convert to Judaism. 6 They presented these men to the apostles who prayed and laid hands on them. 7 The word of God continued to spread, and the number of the disciples in Jerusalem increased greatly; even a large group of priests were becoming obedient to the faith.

P S A L M

Psalms 33:1-2, 4-5, 18-19
R: Lord, let your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in you.
1 Exult, you just, in the LORD; praise from the upright is fitting. 2 Give thanks to the LORD on the harp; with the ten-stringed lyre chant his praises. (R) 4 Upright is the word of the LORD, and all his works are trustworthy. 5 He loves justice and right; of the kindness of the LORD the earth is full. (R) 18 See, the eyes of the LORD are upon those who fear him, upon those who hope for his kindness, 19 to deliver them from death and preserve them in spite of famine. (R)

G O S P E L

Having just fed the thousands of people with virtually no food, Jesus now walks on water and calms the storm by His command. Did this happen? I think it did, or why would anyone invent such a story? It does not make sense to me to invent such a remarkable story. It would take someone with a rather extraordinary imagination to do so! Jesus’ mastery of the elements tells us that He is truly God as such powers are only ever attributed to God in ancient writings. Occurring at the beginning of His ministry in John’s Gospel gives the reader the assurance even from the start of the divinity of Jesus.

ALLELUIA
Christ is risen, who made all things; he has shown mercy on all people.

John 6:16-21
16 When it was evening, the disciples of Jesus went down to the sea, 17 embarked in a boat, and went across the sea to Capernaum. It had already grown dark, and Jesus had not yet come to them. 18 The sea was stirred up because a strong wind was blowing. 19 When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the sea and coming near the boat, and they began to be afraid. 20 But he said to them, “It is I. Do not be afraid.” 21 They wanted to take him into the boat, but the boat immediately arrived at the shore to which they were heading.
2 Chronicles 27-28
my reflections
think: Jesus’ mastery of the elements tells us that He is truly God.

-----------

IT IS I; I AM

Do you remember a time in your childhood when you were really mortally afraid and all you wanted was to hear the reassuring voice of your dad or your mom? I bet you can still talk about the details of how you felt before and after — the paralyzing feeling of fright that freezes your every nerve, every muscle and even your breathing. But just as soon as you hear the voice of Dad, you just feel a sense of liberating relief knowing that you are really safe.
I bet you really did not need to hear anything but his voice. All you needed to hear was the equivalent of “It is I” (“Ako ito”), and everything suddenly felt OK.
To be honest, the English translation of what the Lord told the frightened disciples who were caught in a sudden squall in the middle of the lake does not quite do justice to the weight of meaning to that short but reassuring statement from the Lord — “I am!” “It is I” is just a statement about who exactly is the person who speaks to you right at this moment. For a non-Biblical scholar like me, the statement does not seem to fully express what the good Lord was telling the disciples. He was not telling them the equivalent of “this is Jesus.” He was telling them much more. He was assuring them that He is not just the one present, but that He is present for them; that He is much more than just a reassuring presence, but that He simply is “I am” — I am present for you; I am here to protect you; I am He who has come and who was sent. This is reminiscent of what the Lord God told Moses: “Tell them, I am has sent me to you.”
Fear is not the monopoly of young children. Adults, too, can be mortally afraid for a number of reasons. Even Pope John Paul II knew this. This is perhaps why he made the Lord’s words the starting point of his pontificate: “Be not afraid … It is I … I am!” Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

Reflection Question:
In the midst of a frightening situation, whose “I am” would be enough to quell your fears?

Lord, thank You for being always present to us. May we learn to be mindful of Your presence every minute of our lives.

St. Serenidus & Serenus, pray for us.

This Sunday, remember that you are hidden in His heart.

8 May
Sunday

WHO IS THE DOCTOR?

He was made known to them in the breaking of the bread. – Luke 24:35

Today’s Gospel reminds me of a puzzle from the book Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. It’s about a man and his son who meet an accident. The father dies and the son, alive but seriously injured, is taken to a hospital. At the ER, the attending physician looks at the boy and gasps, “This is my son!”Who is the doctor? Your answer will depend on your insights, biases or rituals that pop up at a blink of an eye, according to Gladwell. You know... or do you?
Take the two disciples walking on the road to Emmaus. They didn’t recognize that the man they walked with on the road was Jesus because they knew He had died. He could not possibly be walking and talking to them. They recognized Him only when He broke bread with them because in the past they had seen Jesus doing the bread ritual.
I’ve often been like the two disciples — unable to recognize what’s real about people or about certain situations because I rely on only what I know. But Gladwell’s book has taught me to be careful about sizing up people or forming conclusions about situations I encounter in my daily grind.
So who is the doctor? E-mail me and let’s compare answers.Cynthia Santiago ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
What do you see at the blink of an eye? Is it real?

Lord, open my eyes that I may recognize what’s real and what’s not — especially about You.

----------

1st READING

The Early Christian proclamation of the Gospel, while including some level of accusation as to who was to blame for the death of Jesus, seems to avoid focusing on this issue. Why? I think the answer to this rests largely with the nature of the Gospel in that it is a proclamation not just of the willingness of God to forgive our sins but also of our guilt due to sin and thus equally to blame for the death of Jesus. This idea is certainly implicit in the Gospel. We will do well to remember our universal guilt when we accuse others of sin.

Acts 2:14, 22-33
14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice, and proclaimed: “You who are Jews, indeed all of you staying in Jerusalem. Let this be known to you, and listen to my words. 22 You who are Israelites, hear these words. Jesus the Nazorean was a man commended to you by God with mighty deeds, wonders, and signs, which God worked through him in your midst, as you yourselves know. 23 This man, delivered up by the set plan and foreknowledge of God, you killed, using lawless men to crucify him. 24 But God raised him up, releasing him from the throes of death, because it was impossible for him to be held by it. 25 For David says of him: ‘I saw the Lord ever before me, with him at my right hand I shall not be disturbed. 26 Therefore my heart has been glad and my tongue has exulted; my flesh, too, will dwell in hope, 27 because you will not abandon my soul to the netherworld, nor will you suffer your holy one to see corruption. 28 You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence.’ 29 My brothers, one can confidently say to you about the patriarch David that he died and was buried, and his tomb is in our midst to this day. 30 But since he was a prophet and knew that God had sworn an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants upon his throne, 31 he foresaw and spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, that neither was he abandoned to the netherworld nor did his flesh see corruption. 32 God raised this Jesus; of this we are all witnesses. 33 Exalted at the right hand of God, he received the promise of the Holy Spirit from the Father and poured it forth, as you see and hear.

P S A L M

Psalms 16:1-2, 5, 7-8, 9-10, 11
R: Lord, you will show us the path of life.
1 Keep me, O God, for in you I take refuge; 2 I say to the LORD, “My Lord are you. 5 O LORD, my allotted portion and my cup, you it is who hold fast my lot. (R) 7 I bless the LORD who counsels me; even in the night my heart exhorts me. 8 I set the LORD ever before me; with him at my right hand I shall not be disturbed. (R) 9 Therefore my heart is glad and my soul rejoices, my body, too, abides in confidence; 10 because you will not abandon my soul to the nether world, nor will you suffer your faithful one to undergo corruption. (R) 11 You will show me the path to life, fullness of joys in your presence, the delights at your right hand forever. (R)

2nd READING

In every task we take we should remember that the world is ultimately going to pass away and therefore we must avoid attachment to endeavors and projects as we will have to leave them behind eventually. The temporary nature of the world is difficult to accept at times as we become enmeshed into it for one reason or another. However, we need to remember that we will depart this world one day and what will be important then is not the worldly wealth we have accumulated but the depth of our relationship with God!

1 Peter 1:17-21
17 Beloved: If you invoke as Father him who judges impartially according to each one’s works, conduct yourselves with reverence during the time of your sojourning, 18 realizing that you were ransomed from your futile conduct, handed on by your ancestors, not with perishable things like silver or gold 19 but with the precious blood of Christ as of a spotless unblemished lamb. 20 He was known before the foundation of the world but revealed in the final time for you, 21 who through him believe in God who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.

G O S P E L

The story of the disciples on the road to Emmaus affirms that God walks with us on our life’s journey. Yes, there may be times when He seems to be distant, but He is always with us. The problem is we often fail to recognize His presence for one reason or another. Let us seek to keep our eyes, hearts and minds open to the work of the Holy Spirit so that we will more readily recognize the presence of Christ with us during each day.

ALLELUIA
Lord Jesus, open the Scriptures to us; make our hearts burn while you speak to us.

Luke 24:13-35
13 That very day, the first day of the week, two of Jesus’ disciples were going to a village seven miles from Jerusalem called Emmaus, 14 and they were conversing about all the things that had occurred. 15 And it happened that while they were conversing and debating, Jesus himself drew near and walked with them, 16 but their eyes were prevented from recognizing him. 17 He asked them, “What are you discussing as you walk along?” They stopped, looking downcast. 18 One of them, named Cleopas, said to him in reply, “Are you the only visitor to Jerusalem who does not know of the things that have taken place there in these days?” 19 And he replied to them, “What sort of things?” They said to him, “The things that happened to Jesus the Nazarene, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, 20 how our chief priests and rulers both handed him over to a sentence of death and crucified him. 21 But we were hoping that he would be the one to redeem Israel; and besides all this, it is now the third day since this took place. 22 Some women from our group, however, have astounded us: they were at the tomb early in the morning 23 and did not find his body; they came back and reported that they had indeed seen a vision of angels who announced that he was alive. 24 Then some of those with us went to the tomb and found things just as the women had described, but him they did not see.” 25 And he said to them, “Oh, how foolish you are! How slow of heart to believe all that the prophets spoke! 26 Was it not necessary that the Messiah should suffer these things and enter into his glory?” 27 Then beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them what referred to him in all the scriptures. 28 As they approached the village to which they were going, he gave the impression that he was going on farther. 29 But they urged him, “Stay with us, for it is nearly evening and the day is almost over.” So he went in to stay with them. 30 And it happened that, while he was with them at table, he took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them. 31 With that their eyes were opened and they recognized him, but he vanished from their sight. 32 Then they said to each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he spoke to us on the way and opened the scriptures to us?” 33 So they set out at once and returned to Jerusalem where they found gathered together the eleven and those with them 34 who were saying, “The Lord has truly been raised and has appeared to Simon!” 35 Then the two recounted what had taken place on the way and how he was made known to them in the breaking of the bread.

my reflections
t h i n k : L et us seek to keep our eyes, hearts and minds open to the work of the Holy Spirit so that we will more readily recognize the presence of Christ with us during each day.

---------------

STAND UP, RAISE ONE’S VOICE AND PROCLAIM

Do you remember the first time you ever had to make a speech before a crowd? I do. I remember that sinking feeling, the lump in my throat, my eyes swooning like I was going to just melt down and disappear.
It is hard to step up to the podium and be the object of everyone’s gaze, and speak, even for seasoned public speakers like priests and teachers.
But it is even harder to stand up for what you say, let alone raise your voice about something unpopular. I remember delivering a homily about the sacredness of life in one parish in the affluent Western world. When you talk about being pro-life, you cut against the grain of those who call themselves pro-choice. But as a priest, I am called not just to give fancy talks that simply entertain and do not ruffle anyone’s feathers. As a preacher, I am called to stand up, raise my voice and proclaim.
This is pretty much what Peter did — the same Peter who, just days earlier, could not even stand up to the truth about who he was vis-à-vis Christ when questioned by an insignificant and nameless servant girl. He chickened out and denied the Lord thrice.
But there is something about “experiencing the power of Christ’s resurrection” that made him a changed man. He “stood up with the eleven.” He “raised his voice and proclaimed to them,” and in the process, he more than just undid his threefold denial of the Lord.
The courage to stand up, raise one’s voice and proclaim one’s faith are the stuff out of which martyrdom is made. Peter did it. James, too, did the same. St. Lorenzo Ruiz claimed his rightful place in the roster of martyrs for proclaiming boldly: “I am a Christian, and if I had a thousand lives, I would be willing to die a thousand deaths.”
Talk is cheap in our times. Remember all the promises made by politicians last year? We are inundated with words. But words alone would mean nothing unless we “stand up, raise our voice and proclaim” in God’s name, like Peter did.Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

Reflection Question:
How bold am I in standing up and proclaiming my faith despite persecution?

Lord, give me the courage to stand up and speak boldly for my faith when there is a need to.

St. Acacius, pray for us.

Be God's blessing to the world this Monday!

9 May
Monday

JEHOVAH JIREH

“Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you.” – John 6:27

There was a time in 2009 when I reached the lowest in my finances. It felt so bad that I wanted to shut myself at home just so I wouldn’t spend anymore. It wasn’t that I was totally broke; I was just below my personal minimum in my account and I feared that I wouldn’t have enough until the next payday.
After having a panic attack, I forced myself to be still and to pray. God has always provided for me but I was having a hard time believing it then. It wasn’t until after I went through my finances again that I saw that I was panicking because I found security in the money I have in my account and not in God. I was in the exact situation a few years ago but I did not feel the same kind of panic, and I realized that it was because I trusted that God would provide for me.
It took a while for me to let go of the security I had in my money in the bank, but when I finally did, God not only met my needs, but exceeded them: He blessed me with a salary increase!Tina Matanguihan ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
“God will not only meet your needs, He will exceed them.” (Mark Hart)

Jesus, You are more than enough for me.

--------------

1st READING

Stephen is chosen as one of the deacons and thus has a role of service in the nascent Christian community. I find it interesting to reflect upon the fact that the deacons were chosen by the Apostles to relieve them of some of their duties so that they, the bishops, could be more devoted to preaching and prayers, and then they, the deacons are immediately reported to be preaching. Stephen gets himself into trouble with the Jews by being such an effective preacher. It seems that all Christians realized the imperative to be busy proclaiming the Gospel.

Acts 6:8-15
8 Stephen, filled with grace and power, was working great wonders and signs among the people. 9 Certain members of the so-called Synagogue of Freedmen, Cyrenians, and Alexandrians, and people from Cilicia and Asia, came forward and debated with Stephen, 10 but they could not withstand the wisdom and the spirit with which he spoke. 11 Then they instigated some men to say, “We have heard him speaking blasphemous words against Moses and God.” 12 They stirred up the people, the elders, and the scribes, accosted him, seized him, and brought him before the Sanhedrin. 13 They presented false witnesses who testified, “This man never stops saying things against this holy place and the law. 14 For we have heard him claim that this Jesus the Nazorean will destroy this place and change the customs that Moses handed down to us.” 15 All those who sat in the Sanhedrin looked intently at him and saw that his face was like the face of an angel.

P S A L M

Psalm 119:23-24, 26-27, 29-30
R: Blessed are they who follow the law of the Lord!
23 Though princes meet and talk against me, your servant meditates on your statutes. 24 Yes, your decrees are my delight; they are my counselors. (R) 26 I declared my ways, and you answered me; teach me your statutes. 27 Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous deeds. (R) 29 Remove from me the way of falsehood, and favor me with your law. 30 The way of truth I have chosen; I have set your ordinances before me. (R)

G O S P E L

The greatest work we will perform in our lives is that of believing in God and placing our faith in Him. This includes embracing His will for our lives and being obedient to it. What a grace this is for us. How wonderful it is that God gives each of us opportunity to respond to His love in this way.

ALLELUIA
One does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.

John 6:22-29
22 [After Jesus had fed the five thousand men, his disciples saw him walking on the sea.] The next day, the crowd that remained across the sea saw that there had been only one boat there, and that Jesus had not gone along with his disciples in the boat, but only his disciples had left. 23 Other boats came from Tiberias near the place where they had eaten the bread when the Lord gave thanks. 24 When the crowd saw that neither Jesus nor his disciples were there, they themselves got into boats and came to Capernaum looking for Jesus. 25 And when they found him across the sea they said to him, “Rabbi, when did you get here?” 26 Jesus answered them and said, “Amen, amen, I say to you, you are looking for me not because you saw signs but because you ate the loaves and were filled. 27 Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him the Father, God, has set his seal.” 28 So they said to him, “What can we do to accomplish the works of God?” 29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in the one he sent.”

my reflections
think: Deacons were chosen by the Apostles to relieve them of some of their duties so that they, the bishops, could be more devoted to preaching and prayers.

-------

BELIEVING IN THE ONE HE SENT

As a student abroad many years ago, I had the privilege of meeting up close two Philippine ambassadors who served the post one after the other in that particular country. I couldn’t help but compare the two. One was affable and gentle; the other aloof and very formal. But despite the differences, both of them, to my mind, did full justice to the task entrusted to them – to represent the Filipino people before a foreign government.
Somehow, one could not escape the fact that, for many people, the ambassador of a particular nation constituted “the face” of the people he represents. One simply had to believe in whoever has been sent to represent his people and government back home. As ambassador, one is literally and figuratively a citizen of two worlds. He needs to please both parties, while at the same time stand solidly behind the official policies of his bosses back in his home country. But despite the delicate balancing act that is the hallmark of diplomacy, an ambassador makes no secret about the ultimate object of his allegiance — his own country and people.
Today, the first reading extols one such ambassador for Christ – Stephen, the first martyr. He was a practicing Jew and a productive citizen of his time and place. But when push came to shove, Stephen made known whom he truly gave his allegiance to and proved it with his readiness to stick his neck out, so to speak, all because he believed in the One God sent.
This is the case of one ambassador who stands up, raises his voice and proclaims his faith in the “One God sent” — who is Himself, an ambassador for the Father.
In these times of social networking and cyber friendships that take place in relative digital anonymity and emotional detachment, it is easy to put up false fronts and reduce one’s identity to an emotionless avatar. But to accomplish God’s works, one needs to go out and proclaim one’s personal belief and relationship in the One God sent. Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

Reflection Question:
Do I recognize myself as an ambassador sent by God to be His representative to the downtrodden?

Lord, to be Your ambassador isn’t easy. Grant me the grace to fulfill the role You have given me in this life.

St. Sanctan, pray for us.

This Tuesday, never forget how important you are to God.

10 May
Tuesday

LOOK AT ME

So they said to him, “What sign can you do, that we may see and believe in you? What can you do?” – John 6:30

I’d like to look at this message and apply it to me. What sign can I do that others may believe in Him?
I’ve realized that I shouldn’t be comfortable with just praying for others because the Lord might be calling me to make His miracle happen. That’s why my prayer is now more often, “Lord, use me for Your greater glory.”
There’s a song that says “You’re the only Jesus some will ever see.” You and I might be the sign that the others are seeking so that they would believe in Jesus.
If I live my life according to God’s Word and follow His commands, then hopefully they will see and truly understand the clearest sign of all — Jesus on the cross who died for you and me. Danny Maglutac ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
When was the last time someone was God’s sign for you?

Lord, use me for Your greater glory today.

---------

1st READING

Blessed Damian of Molokai reminds us of the social dimension of the Gospel. Sometimes it is not enough to just offer the Gospel to people in words and concepts — we need to offer it to them through various forms of practical aid and assistance. Damian gave his life to caring for lepers to the point that he eventually came to be numbered as one of them. We must allow his example to inspire us today so that we are led to reach out to all in need with what we have and do what we can to improve their lives here on earth as well as offer them the Good News.

Acts 7:51-8:1
51 Stephen said to the people, the elders, and the scribes: “You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always oppose the Holy Spirit; you are just like your ancestors. 52 Which of the prophets did your ancestors not persecute? They put to death those who foretold the coming of the righteous one, whose betrayers and murderers you have now become. 53 You received the law as transmitted by angels, but you did not observe it.” 54 When they heard this, they were infuriated, and they ground their teeth at him. 55 But he, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked up intently to heaven and saw the glory of God and Jesus standing at the right hand of God, 56 and he said, “Behold, I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.” 57 But they cried out in a loud voice, covered their ears, and rushed upon him together. 58 They threw him out of the city, and began to stone him. The witnesses laid down their cloaks at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59 As they were stoning Stephen, he called out, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60 Then he fell to his knees and cried out in a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them”; and when he said this, he fell asleep. 8: 1 Now Saul was consenting to his execution.

P S A L M
Psalms 31:3-4, 6, 7, 8, 17, 21
R: Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit.
2 [3] Be my rock of refuge, a stronghold to give me safety. 3 [4] You are my rock and my fortress; for your name’s sake you will lead and guide me. (R) 5 [6] Into your hands I commend my spirit; you will redeem me, O LORD, O faithful God. 6 [7] My trust is in the LORD. 7 [8] I will rejoice and be glad of your mercy. (R) 16 [17] Let your face shine upon your servant; save me in your kindness. 20 [21] You hide them in the shelter of your presence from the plottings of men. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus promises us that if we place our trust in Him, we will never go hungry again. He is speaking of our need for spiritual food, not physical food here. The miracle of the feeding of the 5,000 is a metaphor for our need for spiritual food. Only Jesus can supply this need. We can look for answers in other places and we may find some that seem to satisfy us for a while, but eventually they will fail. Only God can fill that hunger in our heart that He placed there when He created us.
2 Chronicles 33-34
Alleluia
I am the bread of life, says the Lord; whoever comes to me will never hunger.

John 6:30-35
30 The crowd said to Jesus: “What sign can you do, that we may see and believe in you? What can you do? 31 Our ancestors ate manna in the desert, as it is written: ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat.’ ” 32 So Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave the bread from heaven; my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” 34 So they said to him, “Sir, give us this bread always.” 35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.”

my reflections
t h i n k : We must allow Jesus’ example to inspire us today so that we are led to reach out to all in need with what we have.

--------

COME DOWN AND GIVE LIFE TO THE WORLD

Before the perpetual adoration chapel became in vogue, there used to be frequent “benedictions” of the Blessed Sacrament in parishes. Two things I love to reminisce about the devotion are: one, the idea that one looks up to the monstrance up on the altar, appropriately decorated, and second, the fragrant smoke of incense wafting up through the dimly lit altar and filling the whole church with its fragrance.
We see less and less of this in our churches these days. But there is no denying the fact that the monstrance and the incense both remind us that the Eucharist, the Real Presence of Christ under the appearance of bread, is both a gift and a mystery. It is a gift come down from above, no less, a gift of God become flesh, become bread, become sign and presence in our midst. It is a gift that lies hidden and revealed at one and the same time. It hides the majesty and utter glory of God, while at the same time, it reveals the unspeakable closeness and intimacy of God who willed to become one like us in Christ His Son, whose body “came down from heaven” and whose same body was “broken and shared” for the life of the world.
We, Catholics, live in a world of signs and symbols that effect and make real what they stand for. We call them “sacraments.” These sacraments are meant to lead us to appropriate fittingly the gift of salvation in Christ. But these sacraments also lead us to appropriate and own the mystery behind that gift — a mystery that still unfolds within our hearing, in our lifetime, here and now. How do we know then if the mystery is becoming part of us? How do we ascertain if we are becoming part of that mystery?
I would like to essay an answer. The mystery becomes real and palpable for us when it leads us to prayer, to a personal relationship that shows us that that gift and mystery we call Eucharist has become portion and reality in our daily lives of prayer. Come down, Lord, and give life to the world! Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

Reflection Question:
How well am I becoming part of the mystery of the Eucharist?

May I become as life-giving as You are in the Eucharist, Lord.

St. John of Avila, pray for us.

See Him beside you this whole Wednesday!

11 May
Wednesday

GREAT PROVIDER

“I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me will never go hungry and he who believes in Me will never be thirsty.” – John 6:35

The widow in Zarephath never ran out of oil and flour. The Israelites ate manna and quail while journeying through the desert. The crowd of 5,000 had their fill of bread and fish and there were even 12 baskets of leftover food. These are but just some of the ways the Lord, our Great Provider, has shown His faithfulness in satisfying our every need — may it be temporal or spiritual.
Our family, too, has been at the receiving end of the Lord’s unending generosity. I remember an unforgettable incident when our budget ran out and the only food in our cupboard were some canned goods. In His unpredictably divine way, the Lord surprised our family with an abundance of fresh bangus (milkfish), vegetables and fruits given by my mom’s friend who came exactly at the time our supplies ran out.
Indeed, the Heavenly Father will never allow His beloved people to go hungry or be thirsty. His generosity is endless that He even gave His Son, Jesus, to us as bread and wine which we partake of in the Eucharist so that we may be nourished in every way. Dina Pecaña ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
“Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.” (Isaiah 55:1)

I trust You, Father, to provide for all that I need even before I ask. Thank You for nourishing all of me – body, spirit and soul.

------------

1st READING

Stephen’s death seems to be a sort of catalyst that helps people discover where they stand as regards this new religion based on Christ. Many Christians are forced to flee from Jerusalem for fear of death and so begins the Christian diaspora. The Gospel is set upon its path that will take it to the ends of the earth. We are all a part of this work; let us seek to discern our role and then pray for the grace to remain faithful to it even if we are persecuted for our faith.

Acts 8:1-8
1 There broke out a severe persecution of the church in Jerusalem, and all were scattered throughout the countryside of Judea and Samaria, except the apostles. 2 Devout men buried Stephen and made a loud lament over him. 3 Saul, meanwhile, was trying to destroy the church; entering house after house and dragging out men and women, he handed them over for imprisonment. 4 Now those who had been scattered went about preaching the word. 5 Thus Philip went down to [the] city of Samaria and proclaimed the Messiah to them. 6 With one accord, the crowds paid attention to what was said by Philip when they heard it and saw the signs he was doing. 7 For unclean spirits, crying out in a loud voice, came out of many possessed people, and many paralyzed and crippled people were cured. 8 There was great joy in that city.

P S A L M

Psalms 66:1-3, 4-5, 6-7
R: Let all the earth cry out to God with joy.
1 Shout joyfully to God, all the earth, 2 sing praise to the glory of his name; proclaim his glorious praise. 3 Say to God, “How tremendous are your deeds! (R) 4 Let all on earth worship and sing praise to you, sing praise to your name!” 5 Come and see the works of God, his tremendous deeds among the children of Adam. (R) 6 He has changed the sea into dry land; through the river they passed on foot; therefore let us rejoice in him. 7 He rules by his might forever. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus wants us to rely upon Him for our spiritual sustenance. In this way He can feed us what we need, not necessarily what we want. His goal is to draw us into relationship with the Father so that we will gain eternal life when He comes again. Whether we believe this or not will depend on our faith. This is why it is crucial that we make a decision about our faith and choose to be consistent in seeking to follow it up with daily prayer and Scripture Reading.

ALLELUIA
Everyone who believes in the Son has eternal life, and I shall raise him on the last day, says the Lord.
2 Chronicles 35-36
John 6:35-40
35 Jesus said to the crowds, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst. 36 But I told you that although you have seen me, you do not believe. 37 Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me, 38 because I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me. 39 And this is the will of the one who sent me, that I should not lose anything of what he gave me, but that I should raise it [on] the last day. 40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have eternal life, and I shall raise him on the last day.”

my reflections
t h i n k : It is crucial that we make a decision about our faith and choose to be consistent in seeking to follow it up with daily prayer and Scripture reading.

---------------

THE WILL OF THE ONE WHO SENT ME

Many years ago, as a young priest working in the seminary, part of my daily duties was to work with the boys in the farm. That meant planting, weeding, watering and harvesting, depending on the time of year. We had a good, old reliable tractor and a not so reliable carabao, who preferred to wallow more in the mud than obey the orders of his caretaker. He had a favorite shady spot on campus and, to temper his self-willed and recalcitrant ways, he had to be tethered by the nose.
But he would have none of it. He thrashed about and protested and pulled with his might away from the leash that limited his forays in the 15-hectare campus. This, the carabao did, until the inevitable happened. His nose got frayed with all his pulling and protesting. He freed himself eventually, at the cost of a deformed and bloody nose.
For us seminary formators, he instantly became the icon and perfect example of disobedience to the superiors’ will.
Today, we have the perfect icon and example of its opposite — obedience to the will of the Father. St. Paul puts it nicely thus: “usque ad mortem.” He was obedient all the way up to death. Yesterday, we reflected on the gift and mystery of the Eucharist. Christ is the “bread come down from heaven.” I have it on Paul’s authority that “he shed off everything that is divine and took on the nature of a slave.” This is what coming down from heaven boils down to: humility and utter obedience to God’s will.
It is hard to obey. Take it from that hapless carabao who did not want to be tethered. But we don’t need the lesson of a non-rational animal to teach us this. We know from experience that it is difficult to be doing the will of someone other than ourselves. It is always better to do what suits us, what pleases us, what seems rewarding for us.
But the lesson of the “bread come down from heaven” is unmistakably clear. He came not to do His own will but “the will of the One who sent Him.”Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

Reflection Question:
Do I find it easy or difficult to obey someone’s will other than my own, especially when it does not suit or please me?

Give me a heart that is obedient to Your will, Lord.

St. Walbert, pray for us.

Never lose sight of Jesus this Thursday.

12 May
Thursday

Message Sent

Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” He replied, “How can I, unless someone instructs me?” – Acts 8:30-31

When I’m making a decision, confused about a situation or struggling with a relationship, I look for answers in the daily Scriptures. I find guidance and comfort in God’s Word. But there are times when I just don’t get it. That’s when the Lord sends me people to explain what He means. I get my instructions in several ways.
In print — from daily Bible reflections like Didache.
Online — through newsletters from Kerygma Family, Soulfood and email messages forwarded by online buddies.
By text — inspirational quotes from friends. I even get daily reflections via SMS from Monty of our Music Ministry whose mission seems to be to send these to everyone in his phonebook.
At community gatherings — from people like Sis. Beng who always shares trials and triumphs during chapter meetings. Like Bro. Alex who blurted out an insight when we were honoring him on his birthday. He couldn’t figure out why he did that until I texted to thank him. His message hit my concern at that time right on target. Lella Santiago ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Where or from whom do you seek guidance and comfort in troubled times?

Lord, hold on to me when I have problems. May I always remember that You alone have all the solutions.

--------------

1st READING

The life of a disciple is a life of attentiveness to the leading of the Spirit. If we fail to listen to the Holy Spirit, our life could end up being one of frustration! Frustration in that we are busy about so many things but none of them seem to be bringing fulfillment to our lives. Why? Because it is very easy to be busy doing good things, but that is not the whole story; we need to be busy doing the things that God wants us to be doing.

Acts 8:26-40
26 The angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, “Get up and head south on the road that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza, the desert route.” 27 So he got up and set out. Now there was an Ethiopian eunuch, a court official of the Candace, that is, the queen of the Ethiopians, in charge of her entire treasury, who had come to Jerusalem to worship, 28 and was returning home. Seated in his chariot, he was reading the prophet Isaiah. 29 The Spirit said to Philip, “Go and join up with that chariot.” 30 Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 31 He replied, “How can I, unless someone instructs me?” So he invited Philip to get in and sit with him. 32 This was the scripture passage he was reading: “Like a sheep he was led to the slaughter, and as a lamb before its shearer is silent, so he opened not his mouth. 33 In [his] humiliation justice was denied him. Who will tell of his posterity? For his life is taken from the earth.” 34 Then the eunuch said to Philip in reply, “I beg you, about whom is the prophet saying this? About himself, or about someone else?” 35 Then Philip opened his mouth and, beginning with this scripture passage, he proclaimed Jesus to him. 36 As they traveled along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, “Look, there is water. What is to prevent my being baptized?” [37] 37 38 Then he ordered the chariot to stop, and Philip and the eunuch both went down into the water, and he baptized him. 39 When they came out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away, and the eunuch saw him no more, but continued on his way rejoicing. 40 Philip came to Azotus, and went about proclaiming the good news to all the towns until he reached Caesarea.

P S A L M

Psalms 66:8-9, 16-17, 20
R: Let all the earth cry out to God with joy.
8 Bless our God, you peoples, loudly sound his praise; 9 he has given life to our souls, and has not let our feet slip. (R) 16 Hear now, all you who fear God, while I declare what he has done for me. 17 When I appealed to him in words, praise was on the tip of my tongue. (R) 20 Blessed be God who refused me not my prayer or his kindness! (R)

G O S P E L

Nothing good happens in the world without the grace of God being responsible for it. Our sinfulness has damaged our capacity for communion and relationship with one another and God in such a way that we absolutely need the grace of God in order to be able to do good. Let us pray for the grace to accept this as true and then seek ways to strengthen our faith in God so that we will more readily trust in His will for our lives.
Ezra 1-5
ALLELUIA
I am the living bread that came down from heaven, says the Lord; whoever eats this bread will live forever.

John 6:44-51
44 Jesus said to the crowds: “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him, and I will raise him on the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets: ‘They shall all be taught by God.’ Everyone who listens to my Father and learns from him comes to me. 46 Not that anyone has seen the Father except the one who is from God; he has seen the Father. 47 Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the desert, but they died; 50 this is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.”

my reflections
t h i n k : W e need to be busy doing the things that God wants us to be doing.

------------

HE WHO LISTENS, AND LEARNS, COMES TO ME

I’ve taken care of a number of different breeds of dogs in my lifetime. Starting with a mongrel that we fondly call “askal” (asong kalye or stray dog) in the Philippines, I eventually moved on to take care of medium-weight to heavy-weight breeds like Labrador retrievers, Rottweillers and Great Danes. Each breed is different in terms of their capacity to listen, learn and obey.
Yesterday, we reflected on a recalcitrant carabao. Today, our reflection sort of goes down to the dogs. Yes, dogs, too, can teach us a lesson or two about listening, learning and obeying. There are breeds who take to your commands with ease. They love human company. There are breeds who obey their nose more than they obey their masters, like Bassette Hounds, who are not as warm and cuddly as Golden Retrievers.
But whatever breed they are, we love dogs simply because they listen, they learn, and they come to us with alacrity and ill-concealed joy. That is, after, a lengthy period of training.
Many of my readers have been educated in the faith for most of their lives. Most of us are cradle Catholics, and many of us even “survived” Catholic school. We heard the ABCs of the faith from early on. But mere rote learning, unfortunately, does not translate to intimacy with God. They may make us “religious” but not necessarily “spiritual.”
I would suggest that today’s readings really call us to go beyond religiosity. Religiosity is focused on what we can do. Spirituality is more like a two-way affair, a relationship that is personal and intimate. It is not something that we do unilaterally, but a response to a call from God. “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him.” The initiative comes from God, not us. The good news, though, is that God the Father made it easier for us, by sending us His Son. From God comes the call to fullness of life. It devolves upon us now to do our part: listen and learn from the Father, and then come to His Son, who is “the Way, the Truth, and the Life.” Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

Reflection Question:
The listening, learning and coming to God through Jesus is a journey. In what stage do I find myself in right now?

Lord Jesus, let me listen and learn from Your life and from those of the Apostles and the saints so that I may finally dwell in You.

St. Diomma, pray for us.

This Friday, work with Him at your side.

13 May
Friday

YOU TUBE & YOU-CHARIST

“Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.” – John 6:54

My dad just passed away. After all the good words from everyone, it was my turn to honor him. “My Catholic teachers and the Bible taught me that there is life after death. I believe them. But my father’s witness of his life taught me that there is life before death. And I believe him. He lived his life in full,” I said. While some others just exist, some people actually live.
How different from the funeral service of Charles Bradlaugh, a belligerent British atheist. Writer Arthur Porritt recalls, “No prayer was said at the grave.... The remains, placed in a light coffin, were lowered into the earth in a quite unceremonious fashion as if carrion were being hustled out of sight.... It only then dawned on me that loss of faith in the continuity of human personality after death gives death an appalling victory.”
What kind of life is this: counting blessings amidst suffering, experiencing joy amidst terminal sickness, singing praise amidst seemingly cursed circumstances, believing in victory amidst hopeless problems? Friend, this is the life of the Eucharist — full and full length, in the now, and the hereafter. Jon Escoto ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Do you see life as youtube — short and incomplete? It’s time to return to the Eucharist.

Father, as I receive You in the Eucharist in the coming days, visit my life like never before. Let me experience Your miracle in a special and powerful way.

----------------

1st READING

I think we can all understand the reluctance of Ananias to present himself before Paul as a believer. He knows Paul persecutes the Church and so he is right in being a little wary of this instruction. However, because it is the Holy Spirit who is speaking to him, he does as he is instructed. This story goes to show that a small act of obedience can be instrumental in bringing about a mighty shift in power as regards the proclamation of the Gospel.

Acts 9:1-20
1 Saul, still breathing murderous threats against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest 2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, that, if he should find any men or women who belonged to the Way, he might bring them back to Jerusalem in chains. 3 On his journey, as he was nearing Damascus, a light from the sky suddenly flashed around him. 4 He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” 5 He said, “Who are you, sir?” The reply came, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 6 Now get up and go into the city and you will be told what you must do.” 7 The men who were travelling with him stood speechless, for they heard the voice but could see no one. 8 Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing; so they led him by the hand and brought him to Damascus. 9 For three days he was unable to see, and he neither ate nor drank. 10 There was a disciple in Damascus named Ananias, and the Lord said to him in a vision, “Ananias.” He answered, “Here I am, Lord.” 11 The Lord said to him, “Get up and go to the street called Straight and ask at the house of Judas for a man from Tarsus named Saul. He is there praying, 12 and [in a vision] he has seen a man named Ananias come in and lay [his] hands on him, that he may regain his sight.” 13 But Ananias replied, “Lord, I have heard from many sources about this man, what evil things he has done to your holy ones in Jerusalem. 14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to imprison all who call upon your name.” 15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for this man is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before Gentiles, kings, and Israelites, 16 and I will show him what he will have to suffer for my name.” 17 So Ananias went and entered the house; laying his hands on him, he said, “Saul, my brother, the Lord has sent me, Jesus who appeared to you on the way by which you came, that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 18 Immediately things like scales fell from his eyes and he regained his sight. He got up and was baptized, 19 and when he had eaten, he recovered his strength. He stayed some days with the disciples in Damascus, 20 and he began at once to proclaim Jesus in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God.

P S A L M

Psalms 117:1, 2
R: Go out to all the world and tell the Good News.
1 Praise the LORD, all you nations; glorify him, all you peoples! (R) 2 For steadfast is his kindness toward us, and the fidelity of the LORD endures forever. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus speaks quite specifically here about eating His flesh and drinking His blood. If one wants to take the Scriptures literally then the Catholic and Orthodox Churches’ positions on the Sacrament of the Eucharist are the only logical and tenable interpretations of this text. The Eucharist is more than a symbol; it is the real food that Christ has left us to sustain us on our journey of faith.

ALLELUIA
Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood, remains in me and I in him, says the Lord.

John 6:52-59
52 The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us [his] flesh to eat?” 53 Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. 55 For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever.” 59 These things he said while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.

my reflections
t h i n k : The Eucharist is more than a symbol; it is the real food that Christ has left us to sustain us on our journey of faith.

-------------

LIFE BECAUSE OF THE FATHER; LIFE BECAUSE OF CHRIST

One of the cardinal tenets of our Catholic faith has to do with the nature of God as God Himself has revealed. From Scripture we learn that God is one nature but three persons in the Trinity. One corollary to our belief in the Triune God is that by virtue of our baptism we have been incorporated into Christ, and thus made to be sharers in the divine life. By grace we become, analogically speaking, Godlike and participants in the mystery of the Trinitarian life.What that basically means is that we, baptized believers, enjoy a life of intimacy with the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, for we were baptized in the name of the Trinity.
I don’t know if you have seen that touching short film clip about a father and his quadruplegic son who decided to join a triathlon together. The father strapped his disabled, almost helpless adult son to a wheelchair, ran so many miles while pushing his son’s wheelchair, swam as he dragged his son afloat a rubber dinghy, and did other feats just to show his son how much he loved him despite his infirmities. They may not have made it ahead of everybody else but they made it. And their feat was proof positive that intimacy knows no bounds for people who really know how to love.
This is exactly what our readings today speak of. Paul, the erstwhile persecutor of the Church, was cut to the quick by the love of God, and turned 180 degrees to become a zealous apostle. The Gospel passage, in its turn, is a testament to what the intimacy between the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit resulted to — more love and, ultimately, life, not only for Christ, but ours, too, for we have been incorporated into Him.
We are all worse than quadruplegics on account of sin. But as Christ has life because of the Father, so, too, do we have life because of Christ. Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

Reflection Question:
What binds me and prevents me from living a full life in Christ?

Lord, set me free from my bondage. Heal me with Your love. Amen.

St. Glyceria, pray for us.

After Armageddon, mankind will be under just one government, God’s Kingdom. That Kingdom will do God’s will and bring wonderful blessings. For example, it will remove Satan and his demons. ( Revelation 20:1-3 ) The power of Jesus’ sacrifice will be applied so that faithful humans will no longer get sick and die. Instead, under Kingdom rule they will be able to live forever. ( Revelation 22:1-3 ) The earth will be made into a paradise. Thus the Kingdom will cause God’s will to be done on earth and will sanctify God’s name. What does this mean? It means that eventually under God’s Kingdom everyone alive will honor Jehovah’s name.

Be filled with God?s joy this Saturday.

May
Saturday

Feast of St. Matthias, Apostle

INNER JOY

“I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete.” – John 15:11

I had the chance to meet the man in person. He is a famous showbiz news reporter who was a promiscuous homosexual, and he narrated to us the dirty details of the kind of life he lived.
In time, God made a way into his life. In a Catholic community, he grew to love a woman, eventually married her, and they had children. In the first few years of their married life, he struggled to fight his homosexual urges. When temptation lurked, he would call his wife to tell her to pray for him, and they would pray together over the phone.
Years have gone by and he is still on the right track. A loving husband and father, his face glows with the love he has for God and he declares that a life lived for God brings him joy deep within. Had he given in to temptation years before, he said he would not feel this great today because worldly happiness is fleeting.
“Happy is not always good. But when you’re good, you will always be happy,” he said.
Jesus constantly invites us to remain in Him, so that we may remain in His father’s love. Nothing can match the joy that God’s love brings. Nova Arias ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Are you still seeking happiness? Why? How are you living your life?

Lord Jesus, I ask You to fill my empty heart with Your love that I may experience lasting joy.

-------

1st READING

The defection and subsequent death of Judas leaves the Apostles one man short! They decide they ought to replace him. Matthias is chosen by lot to be the man. We begin to see here a sense of the understanding of apostolic succession – something guided and ensured by the Holy Spirit – not just something that is in the hands of mortal men. This idea will be developed over the years by the guidance of the Holy Spirit to the understanding we have today, an understanding that we have a direct and tangible link with the person of Jesus through the bishops.

Acts 1:15-17, 20-26
15 Peter stood up in the midst of the brothers and sisters (there was a group of about one hundred and twenty persons in the one place). He said, 16 “My brothers and sisters, the Scripture had to be fulfilled which the Holy Spirit spoke beforehand through the mouth of David, concerning Judas, who was the guide for those who arrested Jesus. 17 He was numbered among us and was allotted a share in this ministry. 20 For it is written in the Book of Psalms: ‘Let his encampment become desolate, and may no one dwell in it.’ And: ‘May another take his office.’ 21 Therefore, it is necessary that one of the men who accompanied us the whole time the Lord Jesus came and went among us, 22 beginning from the baptism of John until the day on which he was taken up from us, become with us a witness to his resurrection.” 23 So they proposed two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also known as Justus, and Matthias. 24 Then they prayed, “You, Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which one of these two you have chosen 25 to take the place in this apostolic ministry from which Judas turned away to go to his own place.” 26 Then they gave lots to them, and the lot fell upon Matthias, and he was counted with the Eleven Apostles.

P S A L M

Psalms 113:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8
R: The Lord will give him a seat with the leaders of his people.
1 Praise, you servants of the LORD, praise the name of the LORD. 2 Blessed be the name of the LORD both now and forever. (R) 3 From the rising to the setting of the sun is the name of the LORD to be praised. 4 High above all nations is the LORD; above the heavens is his glory. (R) 5 Who is like the LORD, our God, who is enthroned on high 6 and looks upon the heavens and the earth below? (R) 7 He raises up the lowly from the dust; from the dunghill he lifts up the poor 8 to seat them with princes, with the princes of his own people. (R)

G O S P E L

This chapter of John’s Gospel speaks of the organic unity of the Body of Christ with its Head, Jesus. As we celebrate the life and commitment of the Apostle Matthias we remember that Jesus’ promise to His Apostles was that He would always be with them. This promise is manifest in both the bishops of the Church and in that which unites us all as the Body of Christ, the love we have for one another. Jesus commands us to love one another and as we obey to this command we will discover the power of the bonds of love.

ALLELUIA
I choose you from the world, to go and bear fruit that will last, says the Lord.

John 15:9-17
9 Jesus said to his disciples: “As the Father loves me, so I also love you. Remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete. 12 This is my commandment: love one another as I love you. 13 No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15 I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father. 16 It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you. 17 This I command you: love one another.”

my reflections
t h i n k : Jesus commands us to love one another and as we obey to this command we will discover the power of the bonds of love.

============

YOU ARE MY FRIENDS IF...

I have been a member of the Facebook social networking site for almost two years now. My list of “friends” has steadily increased since the day I joined, without me really trying very hard at it. Somehow, its algorithms do the task of searching for friends, and potential friends and friends of
friends simply find it very easy to suggest other friends for addition. Soon, they hog your profile page, and everything that they do, once posted in their status feed, and anything they post becomes broadcast to a certain “group” of mutual friends for all to see. That is, if those “friends” keep on visiting your profile and posting messages and status reports on their wall — or yours.
Facebook friendship is very iffy, to say the least. You are my friend if you accept me as one, or if I accept you as such. You are my friend if you keep on peeking on my wall or checking on my profile.
This friendship is dependent on a number of “ifs” and works on the basis of tit-for-tat. You remain in my network only if you access my profile and do something to make my wall “come to life” on your screen.
Is the Lord’s offer of friendship also an “iffy” thing? “You are my friends if…” What could this possibly mean? Does it mean that God’s friendship with us can be deleted at will, like people delete friends’ addresses in their digital address books?
This is not my reading of the Gospel passage of today. I do not see an if-so syllogism in the Lord’s words. I see rather a description of what it means to be in a relationship of intimacy with God. The passage tells us what it concretely means to be intimate with Christ. He tells us what it entails, what it ought to show in our behavior. And like we said yesterday, it has to do with listening, learning and obeying.
Being friends with Christ is not just a matter of pushing the “confirm” button. It means rolling up one’s sleeves and getting to work. It means “going and bearing fruit that will remain.” Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

Reflection Question:
Is my relationship with God dependent on a lot of ifs?

Lord, I know that even though the whole world turns against me, You will never forsake me.

St. Just, pray for us.

Celebrate God's love through His Word for you this Sunday!

May
Sunday

A Haven for the Weary

“I came that you may have life to the full.” – John 10:10

Our house caretaker caught a pigeon at the basement of our home. The pigeon looked tired and had found a resting place.
The pigeon was no ordinary one; it had a wide breast and a long wing span. We concluded that this was a homing pigeon and had probably flown a great distance to find rest in our home. We also found out that the bird had its owner’s phone number on its foot but the number was no longer in service.
We took care of the pigeon for several days until it recovered. We attached our cell number before we released the pigeon. It took less than an hour for the bird to fly from our home in Calamba to its owner in Quezon City. The owner texted back to thank us.
We open our home as a spiritual resting place where family and friends can come for a retreat or simply to rest. Our guest book is filled with messages of how they have felt God’s love while visiting with us. God guided even the bird to our home to find rest. That thought exhilarated us and reinforced our resolve to help others “have life to the full” according to God’s will. Donna España ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Jesus Christ holds the key to the abundance of blessings. Knock on His door and the floodgates of blessings will flow.

O Holy Spirit, lead me and guide me each day so I can soar with You. May live my life to the full and lead others to You along the way.

------------

1st READING

The fourth Sunday of Easter is always Good Shepherd Sunday. One of the results of there being a good shepherd is that there ought to be many good sheep. I wonder how you and I qualify under this description? Do we behave like good sheep, always being obedient to following where the shepherd leads us? Or do we fight and struggle when God’s will is made known to us such that any progress in holiness that is made in our lives is both slow and labored?

Acts 2:14, 36-41
14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice, and proclaimed: 36 “Let the whole house of Israel know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.” 37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and they asked Peter and the other apostles, “What are we to do, my brothers?” 38 Peter said to them, “Repentand be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is made to you and to your children and to all those far off, whomever the Lord our God will call.” 40 He testified with many other arguments, and was exhorting them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” 41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand persons were added that day.

P S A L M

Psalms 23:1-3, 3-4, 5, 6
R: The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 In verdant pastures he gives me repose; beside restful waters he leads me; 3 he refreshes my soul. (R) He guides me in right paths for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage. (R) 5 You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. (R) 6 Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come. (R)

2nd READING

It is interesting to study the nature and dynamic of a flock of sheep. I come from a country where flocks of sheep can number in the tens of thousands, something that would not have really been in the mind of the Gospel writers of Jesus’ time where flocks were probably more like 20–50 sheep in size! However, there are some aspects of small flocks that still hold true for big flocks. One of these is that if you can get a few to move in a particular direction, very often the rest will follow. This is an important dynamic to understand if we want to be able to provide an example for the many through a small group. This is an important aspect of evangelization – one that is becoming ever more important considering the size of the task of evangelization today.

1 Peter 2:20-25
20 Beloved: If you are patient when you suffer for doing what is good, this is a grace before God. 21 For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example that you should follow in his footsteps. 22 “He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.” 23 When he was insulted, he returned no insult; when he suffered, he did not threaten; instead, he handed himself over to the one who judges justly. 24 He himself bore our sins in his body upon the cross, so that, free from sin, we might live for righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed. 25 For you had gone astray like sheep, but you have now returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

G O S P E L

Jesus is the Good Shepherd — He knows the voice of His sheep and they know His voice. I do not have any doubt about the first part of the above statement but I often wonder how well I, and most others, actually know or have the capacity to recognize the voice of Jesus in our lives? If we are truly disciples of Jesus we will cultivate a knowledge of the voice of our Master and Shepherd. Have we done this with the level of perseverance necessary for success? This is a question we can only answer as individuals.

ALLELUIA
I am the good shepherd, says the Lord; I know my sheep, and mine know me.

John 10:1-10
1 Jesus said: “Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever does not enter a sheepfold through the gate but climbs over elsewhere is a thief and a robber. 2 But whoever enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 The gatekeeper opens it for him, and the sheep hear his voice, as he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 When he has driven out all his own, he walks ahead of them, and the sheep follow him, because they recognize his voice. 5 But they will not follow a stranger; they will run away from him, because they do not recognize the voice of strangers.” 6 Although Jesus used this figure of speech, they did not realize what he was trying to tell them. 7 So Jesus said again, “Amen, amen, I say to you, I am the gate for the sheep. 8 All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9 I am the gate. Whoever enters through me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. 10 A thief comes only to steal and slaughter and destroy; I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly.”

my reflections
t h i n k : I f you can get a few to move in a particular direction, very often the rest will follow. This is an important aspect of evangelization.

----------

WHAT ARE WE TO DO, BROTHERS?

“What are we to do?” This was the question of many people last year in January right after a catastrophic earthquake hit Haiti and reduced almost the whole country to rubble.
Sociologists call them luminal events. They are life-changing, not just earth-shattering. They make people change paradigms or make them question their time-tested convictions about things.
The resurrection of the Lord was one such life-changing event, at least for the apostles who lived with Him in close proximity. The passage from the Acts tells us how, through the powerful kerygmatic preaching of Peter, it, too, became a life-changing experience for His hearers. They asked, “What are we to do, my brothers?”
Again, we are back to the “listen, learn and obey” triad.
Talk is cheap. The Christian proclamation is not just a rabble-rousing pep talk that warms the heart, but does not engage the will. Peter’s kerygmatic proclamation roused the crowds to the realization that such powerful words call for an equally powerful response — a response of commitment and determination.
During the 1997 financial meltdown, it was enviable to see certain cultures face the “tough times with tough measures.” They did something unheard of in happier, more prosperous times. Many individuals and families donated their gold, jewelry and gems galore to help prime the economy and set it back on its feet again. They went right into action and that was the gate that led them to the sheepfold of recovery and prosperity.
Maybe today we refer to this more as political will or the willingness and readiness to do whatever is necessary, as called for by the gravity of the event and situation at hand.
But the Christ event, with the resurrection as centerpiece, calls for more than just political will. It is a call to “repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.” It is, ultimately, a call to new life — “life in abundance.” Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

Reflection Question:
How do I handle crisis in my life? Do I willingly accept and do the changes that it entails?

Lord, even if it isn’t easy, help me to see crisis situations as opportunities to get closer to You.

St. Nicholas the Mystic, pray for us.

Back
Top Bottom