Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Let's Talk About Operating Systems

Which OS is best for desktop computers?

• Windows

Votes: 499 79.6%
  • GNU/Linux distros

Votes: 99 15.8%
  • MacOS

Votes: 25 4.0%
  • BSD

Votes: 4 0.6%

• Total voters
You're welcome madam. :)

The answer depends on your setup (i.e. the order of installation of your OS...kung alin ang una at alin ang last na OS na ni-install ninyo).

1. If you installed Linux last, then the Linux bootloader will not be affected. The only time you will see a problem is when you select to boot Windows (because it is still in the list of OS in the Linux Bootloader, i.e. GRUB). Pero as long as you don't select Windows at the time na tinanggal mo na siya, then there will be no problem booting your Linux-based OS. It's not a clean solution but I can say that this is convenient. Kung medyo OC tayo, then you will need to just run this command when you boot into Linux (after removing Windows):

Code:
sudo update-grub
or

Code:
sudo update-grub2
This will let Linux detect any OSes that are installed and updates GRUB so that it can decide if it needs to show the GRUB Menu when you start your PC or not anymore.

2. If you installed Windows last, then you need to "restore" the Linux Bootloader (GRUB). Kasi if you remove/delete your Windows partition, then the Windows bootloader will also get deleted. In this setup where Windows was installed last, it means that your setup is where the Windows Bootloader is the one that takes control of OS selection, and not the Linux Bootloader (GRUB). You can visit this post from the Ubuntu Tutorials Thread for the steps: http://www.symbianize.com/showpost.php?p=4012199&postcount=1389

3. If you installed Linux last and you want to keep Windows, then you need to "restore" naman the Windows Bootloader (NTLDR). http://www.symbianize.com/showpost.php?p=4214748&postcount=1784

EXPLANATION:

Depende sa case (i.e. you uninstalled Windows so Ubuntu ang matira, or vice-versa), you will need to follow some steps to restore the bootloader ng matitirang OS. Everytime you delete an OS (na last-install), eh sumasama rin sa deletion yung bootloader niya. Hence, hindi mo na ma-boot yung matirang OS.

LONG-TERM SUGGESTION:

Also I always recommend (for those who are fond of dual, triple, quadruple, etc. boot)...to always install GRUB from a dedicated partition. Since it was mentioned sa explanation na whichever OS you installed last, yun ang mag-overwrite ng MBR. Typical problem yan sa mga mahilig mag-multiple boot ng OS.

If a bootloader is installed in its own (dedicated) partition, then that eliminates the problem caused by bootloaders being deleted at the MBR of a hard drive (since the bootloader is not there - it's in a separate/dedicated partition). Hence, the bootloader is kept intact, so you won't have to worry na hindi mag-boot yung matitirang OS. This is just a best practice that I'm sharing to you guys kasi it really saves a lot of time and hassle in restoring bootloaders (medyo nosebleed kasi yun lalo na pag nagsisimula pa lang). If you want to learn how to do it you can visit this post from the Ubuntu Tutorials Thread: http://www.symbianize.com/showpost.php?p=4224426&postcount=1846

Thanks for the support Sir Top! I'd already said goodbye to pare Bill(Gates)..hehehe..thank you again

Last edited:
Yes sir Top. My only problem is how to eliminate the GRUB Menu when you start my machine..:)
Modify the grub2 menu by going to /etc/default/grub
Set GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT to 0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0​
-it determines how long a screen without the GRUB 2 menu will be displayed.
-GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 on single operating system computers.
-No menu is displayed. The system is immediately booted to the default OS.
-This is the default setting with only one identified operating system.​
Here's are links that will help you.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#A.2BAC8-etc.2BAC8-default.2BAC8-grub_.28file.29

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

This is if your using Grub2.

<b>
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0​
</b>

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#A.2BAC8-etc.2BAC8-default.2BAC8-grub_.28file.29

Yes sir Top. My only problem is how to eliminate the GRUB Menu when you start my machine..:)

Essentially you cannot get rid of the Boot Menu offered by GRUB, because GRUB is a bootloader (an OS needs a bootloader). You can "hide" it though, as what Pres has advised, by setting the countdown timer of the GRUB Menu to zero (zero seconds). :)

Last edited:
Madam,

Puwede po ang Linux diyan, pero hindi yung mga "mabibigat" gaya ng Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora.

Ang ma-recommend ko, based on your computer specs, is DSL (Damn Small Linux), Crunchbang Linux, or Puppy Linux. Among the 3, ma-recommend ko is Puppy Linux. :)

salamat po sir for your response search na lng ako ng puppy linux
madali lng ba install to sir

salamat po sir for your response search na lng ako ng puppy linux
madali lng ba install to sir

Madali lang pong i-search yan since may official website naman po sila, type niyo lang sa Google. May installation instructions naman po yung website nila.

Actually Puppy Linux is a very lightweight OS. In fact you don't even need to install it to a hard drive. It will run straight from the RAM (Memory) of your computer or a USB or CD.

Madali lang pong i-search yan since may official website naman po sila, type niyo lang sa Google. May installation instructions naman po yung website nila.

Actually Puppy Linux is a very lightweight OS. In fact you don't even need to install it to a hard drive. It will run straight from the RAM (Memory) of your computer or a USB or CD.

ah ganun po ba sir first time ko kzi gagamit ng linux nag sawa n kazi ako sa windows xp

goodmorning linux nation! hehe.. im on windows now.. nasira ko yung ubuntu ko dahil sa BURG..haha.. eto kakareformat ko..ehe.. kumusta ang lahat? :)

GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0​

Madam Pres, modifying /etc/default/grub did not work on my MInt 12. I'd tried to modified my /boot/grub/grub.cfg as follows:

fi
terminal_output gfxterm
if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
set timeout=-1
else
# set timeout=10
set timeout=0
fi

And it works. Hope no damage will be made by this changes..Thank you again!:)

Good Day! How to install tar.bz2 file?:help:

The tar.bz file extension is not an installer (executable file), it's a compressed file sir. Kung sa Microsoft ay may .zip at .rar, sa Linux naman ay .tar.bz or .tar.gz. :)

In Linux, particularly Debian-based Linux Distros such as Ubuntu, executable files (i.e. used in installers like .exe or .msi in Microsoft Windows) have the file extension of .deb. Another example of an executable file/installer is .rpm for Red Hat based Linux Distros such as RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) or Fedora (the commercial/home-based version of Red Hat Enterprise).

In Linux, particularly Debian-based Linux Distros such as Ubuntu, executable files (i.e. used in installers like .exe or .msi in Microsoft Windows) have the file extension of .deb. Another example of an executable file/installer is .rpm for Red Hat based Linux Distros such as RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) or Fedora (the commercial/home-based version of Red Hat Enterprise).

Since nasa topic tayo, may tanong din po ako sir..

How do you install a .deb po? When I double click on it, pumupunta kasi sa archive manager.. kailangan pa ba i-extract yun?

Last edited:
ahmmm guys im no pro here..

but as anyone would ask...

is there a proper os or the best os that will maximize what my laptop is giving me..

to exceed limitations, a faster OS for my dusty old laptop^_^...and ofcourse for gaming too...thanks

Since nasa topic tayo, may tanong din po ako sir..

How do you install a .deb po? When I double click on it, pumupunta kasi sa archive manager.. kailangan pa ba i-extract yun?

Hm, dapat po when you double click it, what should have happened is mag-open ang Ubuntu Software Center (for later versions). Try this:

1. Right click on the .deb file, Properties, and then go to the "Permissions" tab. Check to see if naka-check ang box that says "Run this as an executable file". Then try double-clicking again. Or...

2. Right click on the .deb file, "Open With...". Make sure to select Ubuntu Software Center.

ahmmm guys im no pro here..

but as anyone would ask...

is there a proper os or the best os that will maximize what my laptop is giving me..

to exceed limitations, a faster OS for my dusty old laptop^_^...and ofcourse for gaming too...thanks

Laptop specs please.

Last edited:
help po mga ka sb...kasi po nag-install po ako ng windows xp blue edition 2012 ung galing dito...gamit ko po winflash sa paginstall tapos napo ako sa first procedure ung 'text' nag install naman po lumitaw po sa desktop tapos nag restart.. next po ung gui setup naman po may errror pong lumabas

hal.dll error po...ngaun po nagagamit naman ung os kaso kailangan pa isaksak ung flash drive bago mag boot-up pano po maaayos to? help naman po d ako mkapag boot-up ng walang flashdrive... help po pls...

The tar.bz file extension is not an installer (executable file), it's a compressed file sir. Kung sa Microsoft ay may .zip at .rar, sa Linux naman ay .tar.bz or .tar.gz. :)

Ok..Thank you sir top!:)

Back
Top Bottom