Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Let's Talk About Operating Systems

Which OS is best for desktop computers?

• Windows

Votes: 499 79.6%
  • GNU/Linux distros

Votes: 99 15.8%
  • MacOS

Votes: 25 4.0%
  • BSD

Votes: 4 0.6%

• Total voters
GOOD DAY LINUX NATION! :)

I just want to know your advise.
Gusto ko kasi ulit iinstall ang ubuntu sa pc ko.
But here's my concern:

1. Currently, my hard drive is divided into four partitions.

DISK C: Windows 7
DISK D: Windows XP
DISK E: MY FILES(BACKUP)
DISK F: ALLOCATED FOR PAGE FILE IN MY WINDOWS 7

Question:

(A) Posible pa ba na mag add ako ng another partition para sa UBUNTU?

(B) Kung pwedeng mag add ng another partition, pwede ko bang
iretain ang Windows Boot Loader ko kapag ininstall ko ang ubuntu?
*Prefered ko kasi muna sa ngayon ang windows, but i definitely love Linux..

Anu pong say nyo guys? :help:

May nagtanong na nang ganyan sa Ubuntu Tutorials Thread as well as in this thread (or hindi man naitanong na-explain ko na ito), and if I remember correctly I linked it to Page 1 of the said thread. Just in case hindi naka-link:

1. Regardless of Operating System, you can set up a maximum of 4 Primary Partitions in any hard drive.
2. If you plan to "break" this "limitation" (technically it's not a flaw), create an "Extended Partition". Think of the Extended Partition as a "container".
3. Once you create the "container" (the Extended Partition), you can create partitions inside of it. The partitions inside the "container" are called "Logical Partitions".
4. You can set virtually an infinite number of Logical Partitions (the only thing that will limit you is the hard disk space).
5. The good thing with Linux-based OS is that they are allowed to be installed in Logical Partitions.

That is how I am able to achieve a 7-boot OS setup in my computer.

As to your other question:

1. The bootloader of the OS that was installed the last will be the bootloader that will preside/take over your system. So for example: if Ubuntu was installed last, then it takes over (overrides) the MS Windows boot loader. If MS Windows was installed last, then the MS Windows bootloader takes over the system.
2. There is already a solution for this and you typically Google "how to restore Windows MBR". I already posted a guide about this in the Ubuntu Tutorials thread long ago.
3. A more "permanent" approach (para hindi na kayo repair nang repair ng bootloaders each time you change your mind) is to "install GRUB in a dedicated partition" which is na-explain ko na rin previously, both in this thread and in the Ubuntu Tutorials thread (which is may link na rin sa Page 1 nun long ago).

Hope this helps.

May nagtanong na nang ganyan sa Ubuntu Tutorials Thread as well as in this thread (or hindi man naitanong na-explain ko na ito), and if I remember correctly I linked it to Page 1 of the said thread. Just in case hindi naka-link:

1. Regardless of Operating System, you can set up a maximum of 4 Primary Partitions in any hard drive.
2. If you plan to "break" this "limitation" (technically it's not a flaw), create an "Extended Partition". Think of the Extended Partition as a "container".
3. Once you create the "container" (the Extended Partition), you can create partitions inside of it. The partitions inside the "container" are called "Logical Partitions".
4. You can set virtually an infinite number of Logical Partitions (the only thing that will limit you is the hard disk space).
5. The good thing with Linux-based OS is that they are allowed to be installed in Logical Partitions.

That is how I am able to achieve a 7-boot OS setup in my computer.

As to your other question:

1. The bootloader of the OS that was installed the last will be the bootloader that will preside/take over your system. So for example: if Ubuntu was installed last, then it takes over (overrides) the MS Windows boot loader. If MS Windows was installed last, then the MS Windows bootloader takes over the system.
2. There is already a solution for this and you typically Google "how to restore Windows MBR". I already posted a guide about this in the Ubuntu Tutorials thread long ago.
3. A more "permanent" approach (para hindi na kayo repair nang repair ng bootloaders each time you change your mind) is to "install GRUB in a dedicated partition" which is na-explain ko na rin previously, both in this thread and in the Ubuntu Tutorials thread (which is may link na rin sa Page 1 nun long ago).

Hope this helps.

Hehe.. sorry sir topet.. but thanks for the generous explanation and kind approach to my concern.. I will refer to your tutorials na lang then. But another question, ganun ba talaga ang 12.04? parang may problema..
Nakadownload na ulit ako ng ubuntu, pero yung Lucid.. but released na ang 12.10, gusto ko sana itry pero baka same experience din sa 12.04 kung sakali..hehe.

pero ill give a try para sa 12.10
tutal fresh na fresh sya..hehe

Hehe.. sorry sir topet.. but thanks for the generous explanation and kind approach to my concern.. I will refer to your tutorials na lang then. But another question, ganun ba talaga ang 12.04? parang may problema..
Nakadownload na ulit ako ng ubuntu, pero yung Lucid.. but released na ang 12.10, gusto ko sana itry pero baka same experience din sa 12.04 kung sakali..hehe.

pero ill give a try para sa 12.10
tutal fresh na fresh sya..hehe

Ano po yung problem? Yung sa USB modem po ba? Not sure, kasi wala na po akong mga USB modems kaya matagal na akong hindi nakakagamit and updated sa mga issues relating to USB modems. Itong speed problem na tinutukoy ninyo...wala naman kayong modifications na ginawa (karaniwan kasi caused ito by tampering of settings, typical sa mga gumagamit ng mga VPN at Proxy IP Addresses). in case ginagamit ninyo ang USB modem ninyo for such purposes, try ninyo i-set ulit sa default lahat para ma-eliminate ang variables, and then troubleshoot from there.

Ano po yung problem? Yung sa USB modem po ba? Not sure, kasi wala na po akong mga USB modems kaya matagal na akong hindi nakakagamit and updated sa mga issues relating to USB modems. Itong speed problem na tinutukoy ninyo...wala naman kayong modifications na ginawa (karaniwan kasi caused ito by tampering of settings, typical sa mga gumagamit ng mga VPN at Proxy IP Addresses). in case ginagamit ninyo ang USB modem ninyo for such purposes, try ninyo i-set ulit sa default lahat para ma-eliminate ang variables, and then troubleshoot from there.

I dont have any concern sa speed ng net sa ubuntu sir topet, of course effect na yun ng main concern ko na malfunctioning modem use in 12.04 .. Nawawalan kasi ng signal, or kung magkasignal man is hanggang GSM lang,napansin ko po yun even on a freshly installed copy of Ubuntu.. Kaya nga gusto ko magstep back sa previous releases..
May concern ulit ako sir topet, does partioning the hard drive causes hardware deterioration or depreciation?
Im planning kasi na delete ko na lang yung Page Partition ko for windows 7 para makasave ako ng konting disk space.. 250 GB lang kasi size ng HDD ko.. kaya meju nalilimitahan ako sa pagpapartition,lalo na't di ako pwedeng madelete sa mga Files at Backups ko..

Guys.. di pa ako makabalik sa ubuntu.. naiirita kasi ako sa signal ng modem ko pag gamit an ubuntu.. GSM lang signal kahit anung kulikot gawin ko..pag sa windows full signal nman HSDPA..
nakakamiss tuloy.. later nagkaproblema din pala ako sa 12.04 nun,minsan di maiconnect si modem.. pero pag sakaling babalikan ko ulit eh dun na lang sa 10.04,or 11.04.. what do u think guys? parang iba kasi si 12.04

nacheck mo ba sa settings kung naka 3g only yung sa signal type?
attachment.php

Ubuntu 12.10 w/ gnome3, :lol: kung nasa 12.10 kayo, wag nyo i update muna ang nautilus, dahil may bug ito na nag sesegfault at di na gagana ang nautilus.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2012-10-22 14:07:09.png
    Screenshot from 2012-10-22 14:07:09.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot from 2012-10-22 14:08:36.png
    Screenshot from 2012-10-22 14:08:36.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
nacheck mo ba sa settings kung naka 3g only yung sa signal type?
attachment.php

Ubuntu 12.10 w/ gnome3, :lol: kung nasa 12.10 kayo, wag nyo i update muna ang nautilus, dahil may bug ito na nag sesegfault at di na gagana ang nautilus.

attachment.php

yup.. gnawa ko na.. kaso nagddrop ang signal..hays..

I dont have any concern sa speed ng net sa ubuntu sir topet, of course effect na yun ng main concern ko na malfunctioning modem use in 12.04 .. Nawawalan kasi ng signal, or kung magkasignal man is hanggang GSM lang,napansin ko po yun even on a freshly installed copy of Ubuntu.. Kaya nga gusto ko magstep back sa previous releases..
May concern ulit ako sir topet, does partioning the hard drive causes hardware deterioration or depreciation?
Im planning kasi na delete ko na lang yung Page Partition ko for windows 7 para makasave ako ng konting disk space.. 250 GB lang kasi size ng HDD ko.. kaya meju nalilimitahan ako sa pagpapartition,lalo na't di ako pwedeng madelete sa mga Files at Backups ko..

So for the USB Broadband...a quick Google search leads me to believe that there is an issue with Ubuntu 12.04. Not sure how it goes with Ubuntu 12.10 since hindi ko na na-monitor dahil hindi na ako gumagamit ng USB Broadband stick.

In regards to your other question: regardless if you partition or not, the hard drive is constantly spinning and hence there is wear-and-tear/deterioration anyway. So if I were to read/understand your question, I think it's more of a question on whether partitioning adds up or speeds up wear-and-tear. I don't think it does, and regardless if my answer was "yes" or "no", the additional deterioration (or benefit) is very minimal/barely noticeable. What is more "noticeable" when it comes to hard drive wear-and-tear is the usage (gaano kadalas ang read/write na nangyayari)...for example, regular reformatting of a hard drive.

The more tangible/more measurable benefits of partitioning, for me would be:

1. Disk organization
2. Maintenance - imagine you have a 1 TB hard drive. If you run let's say, Disk Defragmenter on a 1TB hard drive (single partition only), ang tagal siguro matapos nun. :)
3. File access - say your 1 TB hard drive is 75% full and iisa lang ang partition. You do a file search...matagal-tagal din yun because the hard disk will try to read the entire disk to find the file.
4. Disaster tolerance - I would recommend na naka-bukod ang "Data Files" sa separate partition ("Data Files" = music, video, movies, office/school files and documents, pictures, etc. etc.). This way, ma-corrupt man ang OS, walang madadamay na personal files.

sir topet working na ba ATI graphic cards sa 12.10?

Matagal na pong working ang ATI cards, even in older versions of Ubuntu. I remember you asked this question already sir. :)

Matagal na pong working ang ATI cards, even in older versions of Ubuntu. I remember you asked this question already sir. :)
sorry d ko po nabasa yung reply.. nag try kasi ako dati mag install pero ayaw kaya nag intel HD na lng ako.. anyway salamat sa reply

sorry d ko po nabasa yung reply.. nag try kasi ako dati mag install pero ayaw kaya nag intel HD na lng ako.. anyway salamat sa reply

Ano ang model ng ATI video card ninyo? And ano yung mismong steps na ginagawa ninyo to install? Madali lang naman pong mag-install ng video card drivers, all you have to do is to add the X-Swat PPA kasi may ATI and NVIDIA drivers na yun. May tutorial na po tayo about this dun sa Ubuntu Tutorials Thread eh (Page 1, First Post).

sir Topet..noob na question lang..paano po ba mag-install ng games sa laptop? yung model po niya e Lenovo IdeaPad S110..na naka-Windows 7 Starter..thanks po in advance boss.. :thumbsup:

AtiRADEON5650 1GB. AUN d ko palanakita ung x-swat.. try ko na alng ulit nag google kasi kao karamihan me problema sa 5xxx na series... salamat try to do it again after updating to 12.10.ubuntu.. anu nga pala masasabi nyo sa new release

sir Topet..noob na question lang..paano po ba mag-install ng games sa laptop? yung model po niya e Lenovo IdeaPad S110..na naka-Windows 7 Starter..thanks po in advance boss.. :thumbsup:

Di ko ma-gets ang question ninyo sir. Installing an app to a laptop should bear no difference to installing it to a regular desktop computer. Just pop in the CD/DVD or USB containing the installer, double-click the installer and then you're good to go.

AtiRADEON5650 1GB. AUN d ko palanakita ung x-swat.. try ko na alng ulit nag google kasi kao karamihan me problema sa 5xxx na series... salamat try to do it again after updating to 12.10.ubuntu.. anu nga pala masasabi nyo sa new release

Try this for your ATI video card: http://askubuntu.com/questions/1242...tall-ati-catalyst-video-drivers/126513#126513

As for the new release (Ubuntu 12.10)...I'm an LTS release user (LTS = Long-Term Support), so ang mga release na branded as "LTS" ang mas ginagamit ko (Ubuntu 10.04 then Ubuntu 12.04). So every 6 months, naglalabas ang Ubuntu ng release. Mapapansin yan sa version number. Format is "yy"."mm" (year-dot-month). Every April and October sila naglalabas.

Once every 2 years, a release is labeled as "LTS" which stands for Long-Term Support.

10.04: 2010, April (LTS)
10.10: 2010, October
11.04: 2011, April
11.10: 2011, October
12.04: 2012, April (LTS)
12.10: 2012, October

Although okay ang laging sumusubok ng bagong release, eventually mapapagod ka na mag-update every 6 months. If you're the adventurous type I would suggest to create another/separate partition para dun ka mag-try out ng regular release na okay lang burahin every 6 months. And then on another partition, yun ang i-designate mo as your main Ubuntu (which is yung LTS release). At least that's what I do.

I suggest you visit the Ubuntu Tutorials thread, kasi lagi na po itong nadi-discuss, to the point na sa kakaulit-ulit kong i-explain eh inilagay ko na siya sa Page 1 (First Post) as part of the tutorials.

Oh and remember: sa mundo ng Open Source software, "Newer is not necessarily Better". Yun kasi ang misconception ng nakararami, which is understandable. Logical naman kasi ang process ng pagbilang which is yun ang natutunan natin sa school. :) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. kaya nabuo sa isipan natin na 2 is "more than 1", etc.

Di ko ma-gets ang question ninyo sir. Installing an app to a laptop should bear no difference to installing it to a regular desktop computer. Just pop in the CD/DVD or USB containing the installer, double-click the installer and then you're good to go.

Try this for your ATI video card: http://askubuntu.com/questions/1242...tall-ati-catalyst-video-drivers/126513#126513

As for the new release (Ubuntu 12.10)...I'm an LTS release user (LTS = Long-Term Support), so ang mga release na branded as "LTS" ang mas ginagamit ko (Ubuntu 10.04 then Ubuntu 12.04). So every 6 months, naglalabas ang Ubuntu ng release. Mapapansin yan sa version number. Format is "yy"."mm" (year-dot-month). Every April and October sila naglalabas.

Once every 2 years, a release is labeled as "LTS" which stands for Long-Term Support.

10.04: 2010, April (LTS)
10.10: 2010, October
11.04: 2011, April
11.10: 2011, October
12.04: 2012, April (LTS)
12.10: 2012, October

Although okay ang laging sumusubok ng bagong release, eventually mapapagod ka na mag-update every 6 months. If you're the adventurous type I would suggest to create another/separate partition para dun ka mag-try out ng regular release na okay lang burahin every 6 months. And then on another partition, yun ang i-designate mo as your main Ubuntu (which is yung LTS release). At least that's what I do.

I suggest you visit the Ubuntu Tutorials thread, kasi lagi na po itong nadi-discuss, to the point na sa kakaulit-ulit kong i-explain eh inilagay ko na siya sa Page 1 (First Post) as part of the tutorials.

Oh and remember: sa mundo ng Open Source software, "Newer is not necessarily Better". Yun kasi ang misconception ng nakararami, which is understandable. Logical naman kasi ang process ng pagbilang which is yun ang natutunan natin sa school. :) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. kaya nabuo sa isipan natin na 2 is "more than 1", etc.

+1. Very informative. Even I didn't connect the "yy.mm" thing until now. Thanks for the post sirtopet. :salute:
Also thank you for dropping by and answering questions here. I have been so busy with school and everything else. But it is semestral break now and I have a week free.

Also I have been active on AskUbuntu that I almost forgot to check this thread. But now, I'm back! :thumbsup:

+1. Very informative. Even I didn't connect the "yy.mm" thing until now. Thanks for the post sirtopet. :salute:
Also thank you for dropping by and answering questions here. I have been so busy with school and everything else. But it is semestral break now and I have a week free.

Also I have been active on AskUbuntu that I almost forgot to check this thread. But now, I'm back! :thumbsup:

Wala pong anuman. It is explained in detail here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TimeBasedReleases
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseSchedule

So far my netbook(samsung N1002 E02PH with LINUX MINT 13+AWESOME) is too small as a working station...web pages were displayed too slow....Opening word documents and converting it to libreoffice were very slow....Dialog forms were more larger than the screen....Lamp server were slower than those big thing....I think apps developer did not consider the 10in screen!!!!

But if your on the text mode still can manage and had a speed like those big thing(du core,,pentium..)

So still i'm using this with a decent speed....

For me portability, price and battery life were the only advantages of a netbook.:)

Last edited:
This is how i broke the boundaries between my intel/atom 10" netbook and those powerful notebook in terms of speed and usability.

OS linux mint 13 + awesome window manager

All app shown below can be install via apt-get....

All apps shown will open in a split of second with this netbook..

TERMINATOR is my terminal emulator

For mei In the world of computing there is no such thing as slow specs its just a matter of searching and know how to use some lightweight apps..

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
to all linux users (especially advance users),

pa help naman about linux ...
sa subject namin na O.S II kelangan namin na mag edit nang source code nang linus 10.04 version ...
saan po bah pweding mag download nang source code nito?
at pwed epa turo kung paanu mag edit nang source yung pang beginner lang poh ...
wala po kasi akong alam pag dating sa linux ... only for internet use lang yung linux mint ko!.

salamat in advance poh!

nag post na rin ako nang HELP sa ibang thread ng LINUX ...

sana may makatulong sa akin!

to all linux users (especially advance users),

pa help naman about linux ...
sa subject namin na O.S II kelangan namin na mag edit nang source code nang linus 10.04 version ...
saan po bah pweding mag download nang source code nito?
at pwed epa turo kung paanu mag edit nang source yung pang beginner lang poh ...
wala po kasi akong alam pag dating sa linux ... only for internet use lang yung linux mint ko!.

salamat in advance poh!

nag post na rin ako nang HELP sa ibang thread ng LINUX ...

sana may makatulong sa akin!

Linux 10.04 version? Ano po yun? Or are you referring to Ubuntu (Linux) version 10.04?

Seryoso sir, you want to edit the source code of an entire OS? Millions of lines of code po yun ha.

If you are really serious that you really want the source code of the entire Ubuntu 10.04 OS, ito po: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/10.04.4/release/source/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom