Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Essay People talk too much.

People talk too much. Be it along the sidewalk or within the calm of a lavatory or deep within the bowels of a cinema or even in the isolation of a space station floating above us whilst revolving round this earth of ours: people just talk more than we care to listen much less understand what the monologue is about. I even daresay that if one would listen to the people around, ranting and conversing, one could get information without even asking for it because as I’ve said: people talk too much-be it about a happening elsewhere or a string of ear-twitching and heart racing expletives.
The variety of information that one can get from around is profoundly astounding (it’s as finding an Amazon rainforest in the middle of the desert). Citing a few examples would be: ‘What my neighbor’s baby did this morning’ to ‘Who hid my son’s friend’s favorite toy?’ to more serious ones such as ‘Why I should buy another phone(though it’s not broken yet)?’ or ‘Why getting fired from your job is good?’ or ‘Why I should be what society expects of me?’. You see these are just, in the culinary tongue, appetizers. Thus should follow the main course is yet to come, so keep your ears peeled open for what society,rather listening to folk’s every day melodrama, has to offer.
This might not sound as fun as other things but well, doing different things from the norm is not fun stuff. Listening to people on the road has become a habit for me as easily as talking to other people is for you. All the while I’m listening, I’m making comments that they’ll never hear(which almost everyone can’t keep to themselves). Still, since I’m just another human, my statements(past and future) resulting from overhearing others will be subject to bias.
I’ll be completely honest: it did not take much effort for me to realize that ‘people talk too much’.Furthermore, I am neither vain nor delusional enough to think that I am the first human being in all of Earth’s long history to realize something so ostentatious.I came to across this apotheosis a few years back through a road trip. This particular road trip I had planned not to speak unless absolutely necessary with the person that is bound to be seated beside me. Also in this road trip Iended up talking too much(this shows I am human too).
Upon my arrival on the bus that I had to ride for the whole duration of the trip; I was alone. I found myself sitting alone(which I was happy with) yet knowing better that all seats were ought to be occupied. I wouldn’t be spared from the burden of sharing a side of the bus with someone, hence resigning myself to the clutches of fortune. An hour has barely passed when an old-looking man found his way in the seat beside me. He looked a weary, travel-worn, yet he had the bearing of a professional.
A few minutes passed then he murmured something whilst I, the anti-social side of me, glued my mouth shut. I wouldn’t say that I didn’t feel pity in his attempt at conversation; I mentally said ‘sorry’. Quite a time passed and again another attempt at conversation; I still had glue in my mouth. After that second attempt I thought ‘Now he’ll shut up for the duration of the trip’ and I couldn’t have been more wrong. I knew on those moments that I’ll be disproved.
At the end of the trip I found out a few things about that person’s life. I found that by profession he was a science teacher, family man, and was from Camarines Sur. He talked about various subjects in our conversation: OFW’s life, physics, life, family, and goals in life. There could have been more but I could’ve forgotten them already. Even before then I have dwelt in silence to avoid talking too much with the fleeting persons of this place. Fleeting in a way that they tend to forget your name, mispronounce it even.
I remember those but I couldn’t remember what the old man looked like. I couldn’t even remember properly his advice on achieving your goals. I might’ve remembered but don’t know it, only under the impression that it was quite remarkable.
I then thought we tend to forget that by talking too much we become selfish in a way. That we burden strangers with our story, emotions, thing, events that came or are coming to us: we burden them ourselves. We give ourselves to someone we don’t even know if they wanted to hear our story or parts of it in the first place. We become caught in the moment that we forget to ask our listeners their story. They are humans too, their own hopes, dreams, and ideals: own lives. We simply forget that they’re passerbys fleeting past our puny narcissistic selves.
This small act reflects our society as it is. We talk and talk and talk, drowning others in our story secretly hoping that you get some sympathy. We do this in hopes of getting that extra hand, and additional push which could help us. We do this just to have a leverage over others whatever we may be pursuing. This isn’t actually wrong technically but it is wrong in a certain sense. We aren’t evil this way but not good either.
I’m sounding like I’m against this which I am but believe me I’m a hypocrite too. Realizing this and not changing any of it makes me the worst I guess. Also I’m not saying it is wrong to look for sympathy, simply that we look for it in the wrong places or in this case person.
Don’t you hate it being the only one who remembers the story of different people on the road? Being burdened by their story yet left out. Unsure of whether the people you met remember you or even the conversation you had?

p.s. unang pagkakataon ko pa lang tong mag post kaya pwede pagpasensyahan nyo ako :hat:
p.p.s. pa critique din trip ko lang talaga ang magsulat :yes:

i really like this..mostly because my introverted self empathizes with the anti-social you. :lmao:
also, i remember the times when i was in the same situation. i'm usually content even if i'm on my own.. that's why its mind-boggling to me why some people have to fill the silence with awkward or inane conversations. even more so when that person is someone i've just met or just happened to sit with in a public vehicle/place. during those times, if i dont have a handy book on hand or headset to hide in.. i limit myself to a few nods or tight smiles or, in cases where the other party is extra chatty, to monosyllabic responses just to cut the chat short. it might come off as rude but to me its just my way of extracting myself from something that i am very uncomfortable with. though sometimes i feel guilty about it. i mean, its not their fault im just not into inane chatter or a tad anti-social.:noidea:
anyway, i understand what you mean by burdening someone else with all of your lifestory without even attempting to know theirs or sensing if they are interested to hear it in the first place. i guess its just human nature for some people to find someone to sympathize or empathize with them. to know that somewhere in this world, another person knows how they feel or experiences the same thing as them..and in doing so, maybe that way they'll have a sense of belonging. that they are not alone. am i making sense? :slap: haha
anyway isnt there a quote by aristotle? something like "man is by nature a social animal.."? its like were hard-wired to do it. society expects us to grow up, socialize with our peeps, find a mate and make a family..and one way to achieve this is to talk..communicate with other people..in order to learn, gain knowledge and impart it as well.
we're probably just wired a different way..well in my case, a definite yes..:lmao:
all in all, i really like this..although i can't give you any technical criticisms in regards with your writing (i'm not a professional :p) but i do like the content ;)
and i learned a new word (apotheosis..and yes, i googled it too:rofl:) which is a bonus for me :yipee:
i hope you keep on writing and sharing..i would love to read more from you :thumbsup::salute::thanks:

Back
Top Bottom