Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Chat/Discussion of books we've read, Book Recommendations/Suggestions...

Re: Chat/Discussion of the book we've Read, Book Recommendations/Suggestions...

@maysapaw - its okay.. nabother din ako sa story nya in some way eh so i understand hihi ;) , btw, Pride and Popularity is in my reading list tomorrow :) i can't believe i shared it tapos ngayon ko lang babasahin :lol:

----------------------------

reco:

eto talaga promise its a one of a kind novel. mejo popular na xa i know, but still...

UNWIND by Neal Shusterman

too many spoilers so highlight at your own risk :)//

I think some of us have read this already. Can you imagine a world wherein legal and pagchop chop ng body parts para irecycle for another person to use? Here in unwind, parents can sign papers pag 13-17 y/o yung bata para ma- "unwound" meaning literal na chopchop mula ulo hanggang paa. Parang pag me something na ayaw ka sa anak mo, you can go ahead and sign them off.. since for them, hindi naman death yung mangyayare.. kakalat lang ung essence (body parts) ng anak nila. ugh. Sobrang affected ako noh? haha, super nawindang ako sa ginagawa nila dito sa book. Normal nalang makakakita ng mga batang iniiwan sa doorstep ng kung sino sino.. and take note, normal din na ioffer up mo yung anak mo kahit baby palang para paglaki eh iunwind. Technically daw, hindi nila pinapatay yung mga bata, buhay naman pero nasa iba ibang tao lang. LOL, ganun na rin yun right? // end of spoiler

I admit, sobrang ganda ng plot. Ang galing ng author magdepict ng characters. It kinda similar to another fave series of mine, GONE by Michael Grant except walang powers yung mga bata dito sa Unwind. I'm so glad nabasa ko to. It reminded me about lots of things.. ethics, beneficence, value of life tapos how easy it is kapag corrupted ka dahil sa money and power. Hindi naman nakakabitin although me next na books pa. Ayun, read it din ha.. promise, you won't be disappointed. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS. :)

@yche09: Unwind is <3. I heard it's going to have a movie adaptation and the second book, Unwholly, is going to be released sometime in 2012.

^ yeah.. i heard nga. Grabe pag ginawa nila tong movie, i wonder kung anong reaction ng mga tao. Yep, i'm waiting for the 2nd and 3rd book. So far, hindi naman bitin yung first book. :)

^ wow.....Unwind is that good ha. hmm...let me read that after I finish reading...

Daughter of Smoke and Bone which is seriously GOOD as well!
it's like Vampire Academy meets Harry Potter meets Hunger Games good :lol:

btw...i did read Match Made in High School, but stopped halfway...it's too...high school :lol:

anyways, i am so happy that I'm reading DSB right now :D

^ Hey i read Pride and Popularity.. nakakatuwa sila. Cute, sweet and light hearted na novel for highschool. ;) glad i read it. Hmmm, i was supposed to read daughter of smoke and bone kaya lang mejo tinignan ko yung ending bat parang bitin? tell me pag tapos mo na :)

^ Pride and Popularity is sweet...although sabog :lol: i mean...it seems that there were a lot of background stories that were slightly discussed but never fully revealed... i guess the next book will bring those stories to light. But hey, it is still a good story :)

Sa DSB naman... it is supposed to be teen lit but my gosh, it's like a very mature Harry Potter story! and i think (nasa 40% pa lang ako) it is a continuing story, thus the bitin ending.....awww, crap, not again! :lol:

sige, i'll tell you about it....assuming you can refrain yourself and not read it na :D

Last edited:

Hi all!

:help:
Please help,
I'm desperately in need of new authors to read. I have exhausted everything written by:

Linda Howard
Judith Mcnaught
Lisa Kleypas
Rachel Gibson
Sandra Brown
Karen Robards
Toni Blake
Robin Kaye
Julie James
Susan Donovan
Kathy Love
Jennifer Crusie
Julie Garwood (historicals)
Sabrina Jeffries
and some Johanna Lindsey

These authors can't seem to write them fast enough for me :P
For quite a while I've been on the lookout for a new auto-read author. I tried but I can't seem to get into the works of other authors, ugh!

I saw a lot of paranormal recommendations from previous pages of this thread but am not really into that genre. Please if anyone can suggest an author who writes in the same style as those above, I would be forever grateful! :excited:
Thank you in advance!

Hi Jenny, it seems that we have the same taste in books, so here are my recommendations:

Historical:
Courtney Milan - I have read her short story and i find it really good. Her full novel however is well liked as well by others (haven't really read it myself :) )
Elizabeth Hoyt - her Legend of the Four Soldiers and the Prince's stories are thumbs up for me.
Eloisa James - When Beauty Tamed the Beast, A Duke of Her Own
Loretta Chase - Lord of Scoundrels
Lorraine Heath - Texas Destiny
Jennifer Ashley - The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie
Kresley Cole - The Maccarick Brothers, however she is best known for her paranormal series, Immortals After Dark (IAD)

(i am only recommending books that are 5's to me. i believe it is important that you like the first book you read in an author, or else, you might not pursue reading their works - which happened to me with Linda Howard, thankfully, I have seen the light :lol: )

Contemporary:

wala...wala akong maisip ngayon :lol:

(edit: how about YA/Teen Lit? some good recommendations have been posted here. you might want to try goodreads website as well since they automatically give you a recommendation when you enumerate the books that you've read).

Anyways, wth the current proliferation (naks lalim :lol:) of paranormal, i think the contemporary and historicals are in a slump.

So come over to the dark side...try the paranormal stories - Kresley Cole (IAD), Nalini Singh (Angel series), Larissa Ione (Demonica) are the best in the business right now (IMHO).

Last edited:

@ maysapaw & yche: thanks for the recos :) will give those a try and hope i'll love them too! :thumbsup:

@ decadence: yeah, The River of Time series is really quite good..

uhm, havent tried Tamora Pierce's works yet..Julie James has cured me of my YA streak..I'm still in my Contemporary Romance phase as of now..I'll keep that in mind in case I get back into YA..thanks! :)

@ Slayze: :yipee: yay! another one! diba Gen is just so lovable..hahaha..I just wish MWT will give the fans some balita about the next book..I've been waiting too long already..hay..:upset:

---

finished Trust in Advertising - loved this novel so much..and there certainly is a Julie James-y feel in the writing there..loved how the heroine's career and personality developed throughout the story..makes you want to go after your dreams too..and its filled with cute-you-cant-help-but-smile scenes..:)

^ooohh, glad you liked it! kakakilig noh? i swear kung hindi lang sya uber haba uulit ulitin ko sya. :)

well...im guilty. i have started Truth in Advertising (and yes, napakahaba nya! around 10k pages sa kindle using font no. 3) but after 2 or 3 chapters stopped (hiya). anyways, i'll get back to it when i-should-read-normal-books-no-flying-biting-otherworldly-creatures mood strikes me :D

anyways, back to Daughter of Smoke and Bone. This. Book.Is LOVE! I don't know how she will end the series (coz i think it will be for at least 2 or 3 more books) but the author sure has a way of weaving her words that I can visualize what's happening in the book (except for the naughty parts :lol: pero alang naughty parts ito! teenlit eh ). i highly recommend this book. i don't know if you will love it like i do (i hope you will!!!!) but by far this is the best book i have read this year (and i have read a lot!).

now...since I am in the mood for teenlit, should i read Unwind or The Thief? decision, decision. :D

^ awwww ako naman guilty sa pag snob sa The Thief Series. hindi ko palang talaga sya maumpisahan.. i mean ang dami kong gusto unahin :lol:

naside track naman ako ngayon ng Matched Series, kanina ko lang nakita ulit yung blurb after posting the second book. parang intriguing.. hmm... lets see.. Furnace Series or Matched? hmmm....

will read Daughter of Smoke and Bone since parang hindi ka naman nabitin ;)

yche

i am begging you...please read DSB para may kasama naman akong magsquee sa book na ito :lol: did you know that it is one of Amazon's Best Book for the month of September....and that the reviews and raves in Amazon (and even in Goodreads) are so true?

when i read Vampire Academy before i have high/low moments (low coz of naasar minsan sa character, etc) - but with DSB...just wow! (hehe...sorry can't stop gushing about this book :D )

yung The Queen's Thief eh may followers na dito...so please samahan mo naman ako sa DSB :lol:

(all 4 or laini taylor's books are highly rated...so i think i will read them first before Unwind/Thief)

Last edited:

Hi guys. I just read The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima and it was really nice. Her world-building is good and that's always one factor in a fantasy series. I also love the protogonists, Han and Raisa. Although the girl did get kind of annoying sometimes, it was understandable since she was a princess. I also love twists, and this story certainly had them. The end of the first book leaves a lot of promise as to what will come in the next. Looking forward to reading the next one.

Just saw that Crossed is out and I haven't even read Matched yet! Maybe I should read it soon.

@jennyii: I love Julia Quinn, especially her Bridgerton series. Jude Deveraux is also good.

@zelle: Alright, tell me what you think when you get to it :) I wish MWT would write faster! I cannot wait for the next book! I agree, I wish she'd give us news.. even the publication year would be nice!

@yche: I've heard all about Unwind. It's definitely on my TBR list. Thanks for the reco, I hope I love it as well!

@maysapaw: I read the book blurb of Daughter of Smoke and Bone on goodreads and it seems a bit promising. I'll check it out. I definitely recommend reading The Thief. MWT's writing is excellent. Although I'm a bit biased since I haven't read Unwind yet.

Last edited:

so i read Daughter of Smoke and Bone na.. yes, its awesome! :clap: ..

again, too many spoilers and rants and raves so highlight at your own risk :lol:

nabagalan ako sa umpisa pero nung dumating na sa gitna and naintindihan ko na what the book really is all about which is, love between enemy clans. I swear its like de ja vu.. tapos narealize ko why.. they're like Lucian and Sonja of Underworld: Rise of the Lycans. May isang scene pa dun na talagang halos parehas.. Yung beheading scene ni Madrigal (except hindi ata pinugutan si Sonja, i think inexpose sya sa araw, being a vamp and all).. wherein parang parehas talaga kasi andun din si Lucian who's forced to watch Sonja die. Don't get me wrong... yung theme lang ng love story nila yung parehas. Its a totally different story (and i don't think Sonja came back to life).

I liked kung pano dinescribe yung mga creatures and mga places dito. Parang andun talaga ako.. haha lakas ng imagination. I think sa next book naman eh magkakaayos naman sila Akiva and Karou. Nadefy na nga ni Madrigal slash Karou yung pagkamatay nya eh.. i think that counts a lot for their future. I'll be bold and predict na of course, hindi pa patay chimeara family ni Karou. I bet they're all alive and planning war. haha. I mean, they're kinda tougher than that right? sabi nga ni Brimstone, ang mali ng mga seraph eh they treated Chimearas as animals.. hindi nila tinake into consideration na they have brains. I don't know why Akiva thinks he killed them all but i know (or wish kay author) na they're not.

ayuuunn :) so glad i read it! thanks maysapaw! hindi naman pala ganun ka bitin.. uhm maybe a little.. but not a lot :)

-------------------------------

currently reading Matched :)

yche

yes! i have a convert! :)

okay...spoiler din :)

i didn't get bored in any part of the story...ang lakas ng pull sa akin right from the start...the story begins like...Once Upon a Time, in a far far away land...which is in Prague and a little dash of world tour and the other world. :lol:

Brimstone is LOVE. As well as Issa, Twiga and Kismish (poor Kismish :( ).

I love Karou. She's kick ass. She's the kind of heroine I root for. And Akiva...deym boy...you've done a very bad thing...but of course, I understand you. Come to mama (and I mean me) please :lol:)

I know the Underworld story you were referring too, and yup Sonja was exposed to the sun inside a jail.

I love what Brimstone said to Karou - Never repent of your own goodness.

And yes, I do believe that Brimstone and the gang are still alive.....i hope!

Basta...i am so in love with this book :) Hindi obvious no? :lol:

Last edited:

@maysapaw - yeayea hindi gaano halata. Pero i'm a real convert! Ayan nanaman.. for me Akiva can do no wrong! and yesyesyes, ang galing ng character ni Karou even nung si Madrigal pa sya.:)

Nalungkot din ako dun kay Kishmish. I hope para syang phoenix sa Harry Potter. haha :lol:.. comes back alive again and again.. wishful thinking. Hey, don't you feel like marami pang lose ends? like ano mangyayari sa bff ni Karou who knows about the other world (kinda) and also yung x boyfriend nya who, let me just say.. is such an abnoxious actor wanna be? Pati yung side ng mga other seraphs.. will they banish Akiva (which frankly, i don't care coz he practically banished his self noh once he found Karou :lol:) It makes me think, aside from the issue about Karou's chimeara family, marami pang pwedeng mangyari sa next book.

In a way, i agree sa ibang comments about this book. Dark sya at some point but really, its a love story. I wish there are pictures ng mga creatures. I mean, its really easy to imagine Akiva and Karou pero yung iba.. mejo i want pics. These are the days i wish i had a talent in drawing :upset:.

@decadence - i really hope you love Unwind once you read it! i sweeaarr kakaiba talaga effect nya saken. :) I also read Matched nga pala, and finished it minutes ago.

-------------------------------

So yes, i finished reading Matched and YES, i recommend this! Iba yung story nya. Unique just like most of the books i've read for the past few weeks. Imagine kung based sa statistical probablilty and rational equivalent ang pagpili ng partner.. oh, and mandatory nga pala to if you wanna have someone with you til you grow old. Super iba talaga sya. I honestly put off reading this first book kasi i thought bitin (i think you guys know na how i hate books na uber bitin haha, i don't have the right amount of patience needed to wait for months and months). Actually, cliff hanger din naman yung ending, yun nga lang.. may promise ng magandang mangyayari for the next book.. which i'm counting on since i'll read Crossed tomorrow. :)

Anyhoo.. i recommend this kasi it shows a different world. Ako personally while in the middle of reading this, i stopped to think na i'm really lucky for mundane things that i can do freely. Ewan ko, i didn't really focus on the romance part of the story even though its a major part. I'm just soooo enthralled sa dami ng rules ng world nila. I mean, super modern na kasi ng world nun eh, and then i guess they needed a little step back para hindi ma out of control. In doing the "stepping back" parang sumobra naman ata. Its like having dictators, prison guards and scientist all in one place.

I love the characters. I love Cassia kasi strong sya and she stays true to her self. I like Ky kasi kahit ang dami nang nangyari sa kanya, he closed off and all.. he gave Cassia a chance to know him better. He's sooo worth looking for in the next book.. :cloud9:

-----------------------------------

thereeee... tomorrow i'll continue with Crossed

hi guys! meron bang UNwind na e-book here?\

Currently reading BEfore Ever After by Samantha Sotto. pAge turner sya! :)

^ yep, its in the ~Suspense/Thriller/Crime/Horror/Mystery~ thread. :)

-----------------------------------

Finished Crossed, second book of Matched Series. I love it! If you read Matched and you liked it, you'll surely love Crossed. Hindi lang yung love part ang nagustuhan ko. I like how they survived and the way the got together again. Of course, i'm team Ky pero kung meron scenes si Xander on the next book, i won't complain :)

I also read Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion. First time kong magbasa ng zombie novel so its kinda weird. Pero okay naman.. actually i liked it. I like it na yung protagonist eh zombie and it's his point of view. I also like it na nagkaron sila ng hope kasi parang nagiging human ulit sila. LOL, i sound weird noh? hehe you really have to read it. blurb palang mejo gets mo na yung story. :)

--------------------------------------

i'm still thinking kung ano babasahin ko next hmm...

@ yche: yes! kilig talaga ang Trust in Advertising! I love all the characters in this book except for the kontrabida of course...hahaha..:p

and yes its a long read..lol..It'll be nice to have a paperback of it though...para madali magskip to fave parts when re-reading..

---
finished Duncan's Bride and its really gooooood! this novel is pure love..a must read to all romantics out there...:thanks: maysapaw for the reco!

---
and super naiintriga na ko sa Daughter of Smoke and Bone & Matched! sana mabasa ko na din sila soon! :)

Back
Top Bottom