Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Famous Quotes By Famous People

Abraham Lincoln

images

Biography
Type: President
Nationality: American
Born: February 12, 1809
Died: April 15, 1865

A friend is one who has the same enemies as you have.

A house divided against itself cannot stand.

A woman is the only thing I am afraid of that I know will not hurt me.

All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind.

All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.

Allow the president to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such a purpose - and you allow him to make war at pleasure.

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy.

As our case is new, we must think and act anew.

Avoid popularity if you would have peace.

Ballots are the rightful and peaceful successors to bullets.

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.

Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren't very new at all.

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them.

Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.

Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition.

Every man is said to have his peculiar ambition. Whether it be true or not, I can say for one that I have no other so great as that of being truly esteemed of my fellow men, by rendering myself worthy of their esteem.

Every one desires to live long, but no one would be old.

Everybody likes a compliment.

Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.

Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth.

He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help.

He who molds the public sentiment... makes statutes and decisions possible or impossible to make.

Hold on with a bulldog grip, and chew and choke as much as possible.

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts.

I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.

I can make more generals, but horses cost money.

I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.

I desire so to conduct the affairs of this administration that if at the end... I have lost every other friend on earth, I shall at least have one friend left, and that friend shall be down inside of me.

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end.

I don't know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be.

I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.

I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice.

I hope to stand firm enough to not go backward, and yet not go forward fast enough to wreck the country's cause.

I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.

I never had a policy; I have just tried to do my very best each and every day.

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.

I walk slowly, but I never walk backward.

I want it said of me by those who knew me best, that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.

I was losing interest in politics, when the repeal of the Missouri Compromise aroused me again. What I have done since then is pretty well known.

I will prepare and some day my chance will come.

I'm a slow walker, but I never walk back.

If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business.

If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?

If once you forfeit the confidence of your fellow-citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem.

If there is anything that a man can do well, I say let him do it. Give him a chance.

If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.

If we could first know where we are, and whither we are tending, we could then better judge what to do, and how to do it.

If you call a tail a leg, how many legs has a dog? Five? No, calling a tail a leg don't make it a leg.

Important principles may, and must, be inflexible.

In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be wrong.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Knavery and flattery are blood relations.

Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.

Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another, but let him work diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built.

Lets have faith that right makes might; and in that faith let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.

Marriage is neither heaven nor hell, it is simply purgatory.

Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

My dream is of a place and a time where America will once again be seen as the last best hope of earth.

My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Never stir up litigation. A worse man can scarcely be found than one who does this.

No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.

No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent.

No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.

Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as a heritage of all men, in all lands, everywhere. Destroy this spirit and you have planted the seeds of despotism around your own doors.

Public opinion in this country is everything.

Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail. Without it, nothing can succeed.

Republicans are for both the man and the dollar, but in case of conflict the man before the dollar.

Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right.

Some day I shall be President.

Some single mind must be master, else there will be no agreement in anything.

Stand with anybody that stands right, stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Surely God would not have created such a being as man, with an ability to grasp the infinite, to exist only for a day! No, no, man was made for immortality.

Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves.

That some achieve great success, is proof to all that others can achieve it as well.

The assertion that "all men are created equal" was of no practical use in effecting our separation from Great Britain and it was placed in the Declaration not for that, but for future use.

The ballot is stronger than the bullet.

The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.

The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend.

The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.

The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew.

The highest art is always the most religious, and the greatest artist is always a devout person.

The people themselves, and not their servants, can safely reverse their own deliberate decisions.

The people will save their government, if the government itself will allow them.

The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next.

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.

The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of liberty. Plainly, the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of liberty.

The things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who'll get me a book I ain't read.

The time comes upon every public man when it is best for him to keep his lips closed.

The way for a young man to rise is to improve himself in every way he can, never suspecting that anybody wishes to hinder him.

There is another old poet whose name I do not now remember who said, "Truth is the daughter of Time."

These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert, to fleece the people.

These men ask for just the same thing, fairness, and fairness only. This, so far as in my power, they, and all others, shall have.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.

To give victory to the right, not bloody bullets, but peaceful ballots only, are necessary.

To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

Towering genius disdains a beaten path. It seeks regions hitherto unexplored.

We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.

What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself.

Whatever you are, be a good one.

When I am getting ready to reason with a man, I spend one-third of my time thinking about myself and what I am going to say and two-thirds about him and what he is going to say.

When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.

When I hear a man preach, I like to see him act as if he were fighting bees.

When you have got an elephant by the hind legs and he is trying to run away, it's best to let him run.

Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.

With Malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds.

With public sentiment, nothing can fail. Without it, nothing can succeed.

With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die.

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man's initiative and independence.

You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.

You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was.

Buddha

images

Biography
Type: Leader
Born: 563 BC
Died: 483 BC
A jug fills drop by drop.

All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?

An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.

Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.

Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.

He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes.

Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?

I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act.

I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.

It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.

Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and the guidance of virtue.

No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.

Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.

The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.

The mind is everything. What you think you become.

The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.

The tongue like a sharp knife... Kills without drawing blood.

The virtues, like the Muses, are always seen in groups. A good principle was never found solitary in any breast.

The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.

The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.

The wise ones fashioned speech with their thought, sifting it as grain is sifted through a sieve.

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.

There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it.

There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.

Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
To live a pure unselfish life, one must count nothing as one's own in the midst of abundance.

Unity can only be manifested by the Binary. Unity itself and the idea of Unity are already two.

Virtue is persecuted more by the wicked than it is loved by the good.

We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.

What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?

What we think, we become.

Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.

When one has the feeling of dislike for evil, when one feels tranquil, one finds pleasure in listening to good teachings; when one has these feelings and appreciates them, one is free of fear.

Without health life is not life; it is only a state of langour and suffering - an image of death.

Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.

You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.

You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

C. S. Lewis

images

Biography
Type: Author
Nationality: British
Born: November 29, 1898
Died: November 22, 1963

A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.

A man who is eating or lying with his wife or preparing to go to sleep in humility, thankfulness and temperance, is, by Christian standards, in an infinitely higher state than one who is listening to Bach or reading Plato in a state of pride.

A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading.

Affection is responsible for nine-tenths of whatever solid and durable happiness there is in our lives.

Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither.

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason.

Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable.

Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.

Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite.

Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.

Eros will have naked bodies; Friendship naked personalities.

Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.

Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.

Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.

Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.

God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing.

Has this world been so kind to you that you should leave with regret? There are better things ahead than any we leave behind.

How incessant and great are the ills with which a prolonged old age is replete.

Humans are amphibians - half spirit and half animal. As spirits they belong to the eternal world, but as animals they inhabit time.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

I gave in, and admitted that God was God.

I sometimes wonder whether all pleasures are not substitutes for joy.

If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning.

If we cut up beasts simply because they cannot prevent us and because we are backing our own side in the struggle for existence, it is only logical to cut up imbeciles, criminals, enemies, or capitalists for the same reasons.

If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair.

If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were precisely those who thought most of the next. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this.

It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad.

It's so much easier to pray for a bore than to go and see one.

Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere.

Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become.

Long before history began we men have got together apart from the women and done things. We had time.

Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see.

Miracles do not, in fact, break the laws of nature.

No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear.

Nothing that you have not given away will ever be really yours.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

Part of every misery is, so to speak, the misery's shadow or reflection: the fact that you don't merely suffer but have to keep on thinking about the fact that you suffer. I not only live each endless day in grief, but live each day thinking about living each day in grief.

Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.

Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ.

Telling us to obey instinct is like telling us to obey 'people.' People say different things: so do instincts. Our instincts are at war... Each instinct, if you listen to it, will claim to be gratified at the expense of the rest.

The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of 60 minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.

The long, dull, monotonous years of middle-aged prosperity or middle-aged adversity are excellent campaigning weather for the devil.

The real problem is not why some pious, humble, believing people suffer, but why some do not.

The safest road to hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.

The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts.

There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way."

There is, hidden or flaunted, a sword between the sexes till an entire marriage reconciles them.

Thirty was so strange for me. I've really had to come to terms with the fact that I am now a walking and talking adult.

This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.

We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.

We are what we believe we are.

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.

What we call Man's power over Nature turns out to be a power exercised by some men over other men with Nature as its instrument.

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere.

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.

Coco Chanel

images

Biography
Type: Designer
Nationality: French
Born: August 19, 1883
Died: January 10, 1971

A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.

A woman has the age she deserves.

A women who doesn't wear perfume has no future.

As long as you know men are like children, you know everything!

As soon as you set foot on a yacht you belong to some man, not to yourself, and you die of boredom.

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door.

Elegance does not consist in putting on a new dress.

Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.

Elegance is refusal.

Fashion fades, only style remains the same.

Fashion is always of the time in which you live. It is not something standing alone. But the grand problem, the most important problem, is to rejeuvenate women. To make women look young. Then their outlook changes. They feel more joyous.

Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions.

Fashion is made to become unfashionable.

Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.

Gentleness doesn't get work done unless you happen to be a hen laying eggs.

Great loves too must be endured.

Guilt is perhaps the most painful companion of death.

Hard times arouse an instinctive desire for authenticity.

How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone.

I am not young but I feel young. The day I feel old, I will go to bed and stay there. J'aime la vie! I feel that to live is a wonderful thing.

I don't know why women want any of the things men have when one the things that women have is men.

I invented my life by taking for granted that everything I did not like would have an opposite, which I would like.

I never wanted to weigh more heavily on a man than a bird.

In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.

It is always better to be slightly underdressed.

Jump out the window if you are the object of passion. Flee it if you feel it. Passion goes, boredom remains.

Look for the woman in the dress. If there is no woman, there is no dress.

Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury.

My friends, there are no friends.

Nature gives you the face you have at twenty; it is up to you to merit the face you have at fifty.

Since everything is in our heads, we had better not lose them.

Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity.

Success is often achieved by those who don't know that failure is inevitable.

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.

There are people who have money and people who are rich.

There have been several Duchesses of Westminster but there is only one Chanel!

There is no time for cut-and-dried monotony. There is time for work. And time for love. That leaves no other time!

Those who create are rare; those who cannot are numerous. Therefore, the latter are stronger.

Women have always been the strong ones of the world. The men are always seeking from women a little pillow to put their heads down on. They are always longing for the mother who held them as infants.

Women must tell men always that they are the strong ones. They are the big, the strong, the wonderful. In truth, women are the strong ones. It is just my opinion, I am not a professor.

Confucius

images

Biography
Type: Philosopher
Nationality: Chinese
Born: 551 BC
Died: 479 BC
A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.

Ability will never catch up with the demand for it.

An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger.

And remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Death and life have their determined appointments; riches and honors depend upon heaven.

Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire.

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage.

Go before the people with your example, and be laborious in their affairs.

He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.

He who learns but does not think, is lost! He who thinks but does not learnis in great danger.

He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good.

Heaven means to be one with God.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

I hear, I know. I see, I remember. I do, I understand.

I want you to be everything that's you, deep at the center of your being.

I will not be concerned at other men's not knowing me;I will be concerned at my own want of ability.

If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself.

If we don't know life, how can we know death?

If you look into your own heart, and you find nothing wrong there, what is there to worry about? What is there to fear?

If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people.

In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of.

Instead of being concerned that you have no office, be concerned to think how you may fit yourself for office. Instead of being concerned that you are not known, see to the (be?) worthy of being known.

It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get.

It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.

Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learnng is perilous.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.

Look at the means which a man employs, consider his motives, observe his pleasures. A man simply cannot conceal himself!

Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself.

Never give a sword to a man who can't dance.

Old age, believe me, is a good and pleasant thing. It is true you are gently shouldered off the stage, but then you are given such a comfortable front stall as spectator.

Only the wisest and stupidest of men never change.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Speak the truth, do not yield to anger; give, f thou art asked for little; by these three steps thou wilt go near the gods.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure.

The book salesman should be honored because he brings to our attention, as a rule, the very books we need most and neglect most.

The cautious seldom err.

The expectations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.

The faults of a superior person are like the sun and moon. They have their faults, and everyone sees them; they change and everyone looks up to them.

The firm, the enduring, the simple, and the modest are near to virtue.

The more man meditates upon good thoughts, the better will be his world and the world at large.

The object of the superior man is truth.

The strength of a nation derives from the integrity of the home.

The superior man acts before he speaks, and afterwards speaks according to his action.

The superior man is distressed by the limitations of his ability; he is not distressed by the fact that men do not recognize the ability that he has.

The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.

The superior man makes the difficulty to be overcome his first interest; success only comes later.

The superior man thinks always of virtue; the common man thinks of comfort.

The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell.

The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.

There are three methods to gaining wisdom. The first is reflection, which is the highest. The second is limitation, which is the easiest. The third is experience, which is the bitterest.

They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom.

To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it.

To go beyond is as wrong as to fall short.

To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue; these five are gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness.

To see and listen to the wicked is already the beginning of wickedness.

To see the right and not to do it is cowardice.

Virtue is not left to stand alone. He who practices it will have neighbors.

Virtuous people often revenge themselves for the constraints to which they submit by the boredom which they inspire.

We should feel sorrow, but not sink under its oppression.

What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others.

When anger rises, think of the consequences.

When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.

When we see persons of worth, we should think of equaling them; when we see persons of a contrary character, we should turn inwards and examine ourselves.

When you are laboring for others let it be with the same zeal as if it were for yourself.

When you know a thing, to hold that you know it, and when you do not know a thing, to allow that you do not know it - this is knowledge.

Wherever you go, go with all your heart.

Wisdom, compassion, and courage are the three universally recognized moral qualities of men.

Without feelings of respect, what is there to distinguish men from beasts?

You cannot open a book without learning something.

Dalai Lama

images

Biography
Type: Leader
Born: July 6, 1935
All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe.

If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.

If you have a particular faith or religion, that is good. But you can survive without it.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.

It is necessary to help others, not only in our prayers, but in our daily lives. If we find we cannot help others, the least we can do is to desist from harming them.

It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.

Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.

Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend - or a meaningful day.

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.

Sleep is the best meditation.

Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.

The purpose of our lives is to be happy.

The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.

The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.

There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

Today, more than ever before, life must be characterized by a sense of Universal responsibility, not only nation to nation and human to human, but also human to other forms of life.

We can live without religion and meditation, but we cannot survive without human affection.

We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves.

Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace.

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion.

With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.

Dale Carnegie

images

Biography
Type: Writer
Born: November 24, 1888
Died: November 1, 1955

Act enthusiastic and you will be enthusiastic.

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.

Applause is a receipt, not a bill.

Are you bored with life? Then throw yourself into some work you believe in with all your heart, live for it, die for it, and you will find happiness that you had thought could never be yours.

Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.

Do the hard jobs first. The easy jobs will take care of themselves.

Do the thing you fear to do and keep on doing it... that is the quickest and surest way ever yet discovered to conquer fear.

Don't be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend to take care of themselves.

Each nation feels superior to other nations. That breeds patriotism - and wars.

Fear doesn't exist anywhere except in the mind.

Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.

Feeling sorry for yourself, and your present condition, is not only a waste of energy but the worst habit you could possibly have.

First ask yourself: What is the worst that can happen? Then prepare to accept it. Then proceed to improve on the worst.

Flaming enthusiasm, backed up by horse sense and persistence, is the quality that most frequently makes for success.

Happiness doesn't depend on any external conditions, it is governed by our mental attitude.

If only the people who worry about their liabilities would think about the riches they do possess, they would stop worrying.

If you believe in what you are doing, then let nothing hold you up in your work. Much of the best work of the world has been done against seeming impossibilities. The thing is to get the work done.

If you can't sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there worrying. It's the worry that gets you, not the lack of sleep.

If you want to be enthusiastic, act enthusiastic.

If you want to conquer fear, don't sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.

If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.

Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.

Instead of worrying about what people say of you, why not spend time trying to accomplish something they will admire.

It isn't what you have, or who you are, or where you are, or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about.

Men of age object too much, consult too long, adventure too little, repent too soon, and seldom drive business home to the full period, but content themselves with a mediocrity of success.

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.

Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed.

One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.

Only the prepared speaker deserves to be confident.

Our fatigue is often caused not by work, but by worry, frustration and resentment.

People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing.

Remember happiness doesn't depend upon who you are or what you have; it depends solely on what you think.

Speakers who talk about what life has taught them never fail to keep the attention of their listeners.

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

Take a chance! All life is a chance. The man who goes farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare.

Tell the audience what you're going to say, say it; then tell them what you've said.

The essence of all art is to have pleasure in giving pleasure.

The expression a woman wears on her face is far more important than the clothes she wears on her back.

The ideas I stand for are not mine. I borrowed them from Socrates. I swiped them from Chesterfield. I stole them from Jesus. And I put them in a book. If you don't like their rules, whose would you use?

The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.

The person who goes farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare. The sure-thing boat never gets far from shore.

The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping .

The royal road to a man's heart is to talk to him about the things he treasures most.

The successful man will profit from his mistakes and try again in a different way.

There are always three speeches, for every one you actually gave. The one you practiced, the one you gave, and the one you wish you gave.

There are four ways, and only four ways, in which we have contact with the world. We are evaluated and classified by these four contacts: what we do, how we look, what we say, and how we say it.

There is only one way... to get anybody to do anything. And that is by making the other person want to do it.

Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still.

Today is life-the only life you are sure of. Make the most of today. Get interested in something. Shake yourself awake. Develop a hobby. Let the winds of enthusiasm sweep through you. Live today with gusto.

We all have possibilities we don't know about. We can do things we don't even dream we can do.

When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion.

When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.

You can close more business in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you.

You can conquer almost any fear if you will only make up your mind to do so. For remember, fear doesn't exist anywhere except in the mind.

You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.

You never achieve success unless you like what you are doing.

Your purpose is to make your audience see what you saw, hear what you heard, feel what you felt. Relevant detail, couched in concrete, colorful language, is the best way to recreate the incident as it happened and to picture it for the audience.

e.e cummings

images

Biography
Type: Poet
Born: October 14, 1894
Died: September 3, 1962

A politician is an arse upon which everyone has sat except a man.

A wind has blown the rain away and blown the sky away and all the leaves away, and the trees stand. I think, I too, have known autumn too long.

Always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.

America makes prodigious mistakes, America has colossal faults, but one thing cannot be denied: America is always on the move. She may be going to Hell, of course, but at least she isn't standing still.

At least the Pilgrim Fathers used to shoot Indians: the Pilgrim Children merely punch time clocks.

Be of love a little more careful than of anything.

Humanity I love you because when you're hard up you pawn your intelligence to buy a drink.

I imagine that yes is the only living thing.

I like my body when it is with your body. It is so quite new a thing. Muscles better and nerves more.

I thank you God for this most amazing day, for the leaping greenly spirits of trees, and for the blue dream of sky and for everything which is natural, which is infinite, which is yes.

I would rather learn from one bird how to sing than to teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than to teach ten thousand stars how not to dance.

I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart.

If a poet is anybody, he is somebody to whom things made matter very little - somebody who is obsessed by Making.

It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.

It takes three to make a child.

Kisses are a better fate than wisdom.

Knowledge is a polite word for dead but not buried imagination.

Listen; there's a hell of a good universe next door: let's go.

Nothing recedes like progress.

Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.

Private property began the instant somebody had a mind of his own.

The earth laughs in flowers.

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.

The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful.

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.

To destroy is always the first step in any creation.

To like an individual because he's black is just as insulting as to dislike him because he isn't white.

Unbeing dead isn't being alive.

Unless you love someone, nothing else makes any sense.

Edgar Allan Poe

images

Biography
Type: Poet
Born: January 19, 1809
Died: October 7, 1849

A strong argument for the religion of Christ is this - that offences against Charity are about the only ones which men on their death-beds can be made - not to understand - but to feel - as crime.

All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry.

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.

Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Experience has shown, and a true philosophy will always show, that a vast, perhaps the larger portion of the truth arises from the seemingly irrelevant.

I am above the weakness of seeking to establish a sequence of cause and effect, between the disaster and the atrocity.

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.

I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago.

I have, indeed, no abhorrence of danger, except in its absolute effect - in terror.

I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.

I would define, in brief, the poetry of words as the rhythmical creation of Beauty.

If you wish to forget anything on the spot, make a note that this thing is to be remembered.

In criticism I will be bold, and as sternly, absolutely just with friend and foe. From this purpose nothing shall turn me.

In one case out of a hundred a point is excessively discussed because it is obscure; in the ninety-nine remaining it is obscure because it is excessively discussed.

It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.

It is the nature of truth in general, as of some ores in particular, to be richest when most superficial.

It will be found, in fact, that the ingenious are always fanciful, and the truly imaginative never otherwise than analytic.

Man's real life is happy, chiefly because he is ever expecting that it soon will be so.

Of puns it has been said that those who most dislike them are those who are least able to utter them.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary.

Poetry is the rhythmical creation of beauty in words.

Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence.

Stupidity is a talent for misconception.

That man is not truly brave who is afraid either to seem or to be, when it suits him, a coward.

That pleasure which is at once the most pure, the most elevating and the most intense, is derived, I maintain, from the contemplation of the beautiful.

The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

The death of a beautiful woman, is unquestionably the most poetical topic in the world.

The generous Critic fann'd the Poet's fire, And taught the world with reason to admire.

The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true.

The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led.

The rudiment of verse may, possibly, be found in the spondee.

The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying something which is not everything it should be.

There are few cases in which mere popularity should be considered a proper test of merit; but the case of song-writing is, I think, one of the few.

There is an eloquence in true enthusiasm.

There is something in the unselfish and self-sacrificing love of a brute, which goes directly to the heart of him who has had frequent occasion to test the paltry friendship and gossamer fidelity of mere Man.

They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night.

To vilify a great man is the readiest way in which a little man can himself attain greatness.

We loved with a love that was more than love.

Were I called on to define, very briefly, the term Art, I should call it 'the reproduction of what the Senses perceive in Nature through the veil of the soul.' The mere imitation, however accurate, of what is in Nature, entitles no man to the sacred name of 'Artist.'

With me poetry has not been a purpose, but a passion.

Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.

Eleanor Roosevelt

images

Biography
Type: First Lady
Born: October 11, 1884
Died: November 7, 1962

A little simplification would be the first step toward rational living, I think.

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.

Actors are one family over the entire world.

Ambition is pitiless. Any merit that it cannot use it finds despicable.

Anyone who knows history, particularly the history of Europe, will, I think, recognize that the domination of education or of government by any one particular religious faith is never a happy arrangement for the people.

Anyone who thinks must think of the next war as they would of suicide.

As for accomplishments, I just did what I had to do as things came along.

Autobiographies are only useful as the lives you read about and analyze may suggest to you something that you may find useful in your own journey through life.

Campaign behavior for wives: Always be on time. Do as little talking as humanly possible. Lean back in the parade car so everybody can see the president.

Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility. For the person who is unwilling to grow up, the person who does not want to carry is own weight, this is a frightening prospect.

Friendship with ones self is all important, because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else in the world.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product.

Hate and force cannot be in just a part of the world without having an effect on the rest of it.

Have convictions. Be friendly. Stick to your beliefs as they stick to theirs. Work as hard as they do.

I believe that anyone can conquer fear by doing the things he fears to do, provided he keeps doing them until he gets a record of successful experience behind him.

I can not believe that war is the best solution. No one won the last war, and no one will win the next war.

I have spent many years of my life in opposition, and I rather like the role.

I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: no good in a bed, but fine up against a wall.

I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then live with that decision.

I think, at a child's birth, if a mother could ask a fairy godmother to endow it with the most useful gift, that gift should be curiosity.

I used to tell my husband that, if he could make me 'understand' something, it would be clear to all the other people in the country.

I'm so glad I never feel important, it does complicate life!

If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor.

In all our contacts it is probably the sense of being really needed and wanted which gives us the greatest satisfaction and creates the most lasting bond.

In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility.

It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

It is not fair to ask of others what you are not willing to do yourself.

It is not more vacation we need - it is more vocation.

It isn't enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn't enough to believe in it. One must work at it.

It takes as much energy to wish as it does to plan.

Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both.

Life must be lived and curiosity kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life.

My experience has been that work is almost the best way to pull oneself out of the depths.

Never allow a person to tell you no who doesn't have the power to say yes.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Old age has deformities enough of its own. It should never add to them the deformity of vice.

One's philosophy is not best expressed in words; it is expressed in the choices one makes... and the choices we make are ultimately our responsibility.

Only a man's character is the real criterion of worth.

People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Perhaps nature is our best assurance of immortality.

Probably the happiest period in life most frequently is in middle age, when the eager passions of youth are cooled, and the infirmities of age not yet begun; as we see that the shadows, which are at morning and evening so large, almost entirely disappear at midday.

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give.

Sometimes I wonder if we shall ever grow up in our politics and say definite things which mean something, or whether we shall always go on using generalities to which everyone can subscribe, and which mean very little.

The battle for the individual rights of women is one of long standing and none of us should countenance anything which undermines it.

The Bible illustrated by Dore occupied many of my hours - and I think probably gave me many nightmares.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

The giving of love is an education in itself.

The only advantage of not being too good a housekeeper is that your guests are so pleased to feel how very much better they are.

The only things one can admire at length are those one admires without knowing why.

There are practical little things in housekeeping which no man really understands.

Too often the great decisions are originated and given form in bodies made up wholly of men, or so completely dominated by them that whatever of special value women have to offer is shunted aside without expression.

Understanding is a two-way street.

We are afraid to care too much, for fear that the other person does not care at all.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.

What one has to do usually can be done.

What you don't do can be a destructive force.

When life is too easy for us, we must beware or we may not be ready to meet the blows which sooner or later come to everyone, rich or poor.

When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?

When you cease to make a contribution, you begin to die.

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.

Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!

You can never really live anyone else's life, not even your child's. The influence you exert is through your own life, and what you've become yourself.

You can't move so fast that you try to change the mores faster than people can accept it. That doesn't mean you do nothing, but it means that you do the things that need to be done according to priority.

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

You have to accept whatever comes and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage and with the best that you have to give.

You must do the things you think you cannot do.

Elizabeth Taylor

images

Biography
Type: Actress
Nationality: English
Born: February 27, 1932
Died: March 23, 2011

Big girls need big diamonds.

Everything makes me nervous - except making films.

I adore wearing gems, but not because they are mine. You can't possess radiance, you can only admire it.

I am a very committed wife. And I should be committed too - for being married so many times.

I don't pretend to be an ordinary housewife.

I don't think President Bush is doing anything at all about Aids. In fact, I'm not sure he even knows how to spell Aids.

I feel very adventurous. There are so many doors to be opened, and I'm not afraid to look behind them.

I fell off my pink cloud with a thud.

I have a woman's body and a child's emotions.

I haven't read any of the autobiographies about me.

I really don't remember much about Cleopatra. There were a lot of other things going on.

I suppose when they reach a certain age some men are afraid to grow up. It seems the older the men get, the younger their new wives get.

I sweat real sweat and I shake real shakes.

I think I'm finally growing up - and about time.

I'm a survivor - a living example of what people can go through and survive.

I've always admitted that I'm ruled by my passions.

I've been through it all, baby, I'm mother courage.

I've only slept with men I've been married to. How many women can make that claim?

If someone's dumb enough to offer me a million dollars to make a picture, I'm certainly not dumb enough to turn it down.

It is strange that the years teach us patience; that the shorter our time, the greater our capacity for waiting.

It's not the having, it's the getting.

Marriage is a great institution.

My mother says I didn't open my eyes for eight days after I was born, but when I did, the first thing I saw was an engagement ring. I was hooked.

People who know me well, call me Elizabeth. I dislike Liz.

So much to do, so little done, such things to be.

Some of my best leading men have been dogs and horses.

Success is a great deodorant.

The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.

When people say, 'She's got everything', I've got one answer - I haven't had tomorrow.

You find out who your real friends are when you're involved in a scandal.

Eminem

images

Biography
Type: Musician
Born: October 17, 1972

A lot of truth is said in jest.

Anybody with a sense of humor is going to put on my album and laugh from beginning to end.

Before I was famous, when I was just working in Gilbert's Lodge, everything was moving in slow motion.

Dealing with backstabbers, there was one thing I learned. They're only powerful when you got your back turned.

Fame hit me like a ton of bricks.

I always wished for this, but it's almost turning into more of a nightmare than a dream.

I am whatever you say I am; if I wasn't, then why would you say I am.

I am who I am and I say what I think. I'm not putting a face on for the record.

I come from Detroit where it's rough and I'm not a smooth talker.

I don't hate women - they just sometimes make me mad.

I might talk about killing people, but that doesn't mean I do it.

I need drama in my life to keep making music.

I say what I want to say and do what I want to do. There's no in between. People will either love you for it or hate you for it.

I think my first album opened a lot of doors for me to push the freedom of speech to the limit.

I want to solidify as an artist and show that as I grow as a person and make mistakes and learn from them, I'm going to grow artistically.

I was poor white trash, no glitter, no glamour, but I'm not ashamed of anything.

I'd go to, like, six different schools in one year. We were on welfare, and my mom never ever worked.

I'm stupid, I'm ugly, I'm dumb, I smell. Did I mention I'm stupid?

If there's not drama and negativity in my life, all my songs will be really wack and boring or something.

It sometimes feels like a strange movie, you know, it's all so weird that sometimes I wonder if it is really happening.

It'd be stupid for me to sit here and say that there aren't kids who look up to me, but my responsibility is not to them. I'm not a baby sitter.

My father? I never knew him. Never even seen a picture of him.

My only scheme was to be a rapper.

My thing is this; if I'm sick enough to think it, then I'm sick enough to say it.

Personally, I just think rap music is the best thing out there, period. If you look at my deck in my car radio, you're always going to find a hip-hop tape; that's all I buy, that's all I live, that's all I listen to, that's all I love.

Say there's a white kid who lives in a nice home, goes to an all-white school, and is pretty much having everything handed to him on a platter - for him to pick up a rap tape is incredible to me, because what that's saying is that he's living a fantasy life of rebellion.

Sometimes I feel like rap music is almost the key to stopping racism.

Somewhere deep down there's a decent man in me, he just can't be found.

The truth is you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. Life is a crazy ride, and nothing is guaranteed.

There was a while when I was feeling like, 'Damn, if I'd just been born black, I would not have to go through all this'.

These times are so hard, and they're getting even harder.

To the people I forgot, you weren't on my mind for some reason and you probably don't deserve any thanks anyway.

When you're a little kid, you don't see color, and the fact that my friends were black never crossed my mind. It never became an issue until I was a teenager and started trying to rap.

Yeah, I did see where the people dissing me were coming from. But, it's like, anything that happened in the past between black and white, I can't really speak on it, because I wasn't there. I don't feel like me being born the color I am makes me any less of a person.

Ernest Hemmingway

images

Biography
Type: Novelist
Born: July 21, 1899
Died: July 2, 1961

A man can be destroyed but not defeated.

A man's got to take a lot of punishment to write a really funny book.

A serious writer is not to be confounded with a solemn writer. A serious writer may be a hawk or a buzzard or even a popinjay, but a solemn writer is always a bloody owl.

About morals, I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.

All good books have one thing in common - they are truer than if they had really happened.

All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn.

All my life I've looked at words as though I were seeing them for the first time.

All our words from loose using have lost their edge.

All things truly wicked start from innocence.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

As you get older it is harder to have heroes, but it is sort of necessary.

Bullfighting is the only art in which the artist is in danger of death and in which the degree of brilliance in the performance is left to the fighter's honor.

But man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated.

Courage is grace under pressure.

Cowardice... is almost always simply a lack of ability to suspend functioning of the imagination.

Decadence is a difficult word to use since it has become little more than a term of abuse applied by critics to anything they do not yet understand or which seems to differ from their moral concepts.

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.

Ezra was right half the time, and when he was wrong, he was so wrong you were never in any doubt about it.

Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth.

For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can.

For a war to be just three conditions are necessary - public authority, just cause, right motive.

Forget your personal tragedy. We are all bitched from the start and you especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it-don't cheat with it.

Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.

Hesitation increases in relation to risk in equal proportion to age.

His talent was as natural as the pattern that was made by the dust on a butterfly's wings. At one time he understood it no more than the butterfly did and he did not know when it was brushed or marred.

I don't like to write like God. It is only because you never do it, though, that the critics think you can't do it.

I know now that there is no one thing that is true - it is all true.

I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.

I know war as few other men now living know it, and nothing to me is more revolting. I have long advocated its complete abolition, as its very destructiveness on both friend and foe has rendered it useless as a method of settling international disputes.

I learned never to empty the well of my writing, but always to stop when there was still something there in the deep part of the well, and let it refill at night from the springs that fed it.

I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen.

I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?

I never had to choose a subject - my subject rather chose me.

I'm not going to get into the ring with Tolstoy.

I've tried to reduce profanity but I reduced so much profanity when writing the book that I'm afraid not much could come out. Perhaps we will have to consider it simply as a profane book and hope that the next book will be less profane or perhaps more sacred.

If a writer knows enough about what he is writing about, he may omit things that he knows. The dignity of movement of an iceberg is due to only one ninth of it being above water.

If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.

If you have a success you have it for the wrong reasons. If you become popular it is always because of the worst aspects of your work.

In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason.

t's none of their business that you have to learn how to write. Let them think you were born that way.

Madame, all stories, if continued far enough, end in death, and he is no true-story teller who would keep that from you.

Man is not made for defeat.

My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.

Never confuse movement with action.

Never go on trips with anyone you do not love.

Never mistake motion for action.

Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.

No weapon has ever settled a moral problem. It can impose a solution but it cannot guarantee it to be a just one.

Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war.

Personal columnists are jackals and no jackal has been known to live on grass once he had learned about meat - no matter who killed the meat for him.

Pound's crazy. All poets are. They have to be. You don't put a poet like Pound in the loony bin.

Prose is architecture, not interior decoration, and the Baroque is over.

Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl.

Switzerland is a small, steep country, much more up and down than sideways, and is all stuck over with large brown hotels built on the cuckoo clock style of architecture.

That is what we are supposed to do when we are at our best - make it all up - but make it up so truly that later it will happen that way.

That terrible mood of depression of whether it's any good or not is what is known as The Artist's Reward.

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; the second is war. Both bring a temporary prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunists.

The game of golf would lose a great deal if croquet mallets and billiard cues were allowed on the putting green.

The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life and one is as good as the other.

The man who has begun to live more seriously within begins to live more simply without.

The only thing that could spoil a day was people. People were always the limiters of happiness except for the very few that were as good as spring itself.

The shortest answer is doing the thing.

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

There are events which are so great that if a writer has participated in them his obligation is to write truly rather than assume the presumption of altering them with invention.

There is no friend as loyal as a book.

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

There is no lonelier man in death, except the suicide, than that man who has lived many years with a good wife and then outlived her. If two people love each other there can be no happy end to it.

There is no rule on how to write. Sometimes it comes easily and perfectly; sometimes it's like drilling rock and then blasting it out with charges.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.

There's no one thing that is true. They're all true.

They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for one's country. But in modern war, there is nothing sweet nor fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason.

To be a successful father... there's one absolute rule: when you have a kid, don't look at it for the first two years.

Wars are caused by undefended wealth.

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

What is moral is what you feel good after, and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.

When I have an idea, I turn down the flame, as if it were a little alcohol stove, as low as it will go. Then it explodes and that is my idea.

When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen.

When writing a novel a writer should create living people; people not characters. A character is a caricature.

When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.

Why should anybody be interested in some old man who was a failure?

Writing and travel broaden your ass if not your mind and I like to write standing up.

You can wipe out your opponents. But if you do it unjustly you become eligible for being wiped out yourself.

You're beautiful, like a May fly.

Frank Carson

images

Biography
Type: Comedian
Nationality: Irish
Born: November 6, 1926

Have you heard about the Irishman who reversed into a car boot sale and sold the engine?

I am accusing him of stealing my best material, he was a very funny man.

I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

So I rang up British Telecom, I said 'I want to report a nuisance caller', he said 'Not you again'.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

images

Biography
Type: President
Born: January 30, 1882
Died: April 12, 1945

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.

A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people.

A reactionary is a somnambulist walking backwards.

Are you laboring under the impression that I read these memoranda of yours? I can't even lift them.

Art is not a treasure in the past or an importation from another land, but part of the present life of all living and creating peoples.

Be sincere; be brief; be seated.

But while they prate of economic laws, men and women are starving. We must lay hold of the fact that economic laws are not made by nature. They are made by human beings.

Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off.

Confidence... thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.

Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education.

Don't forget what I discovered that over ninety percent of all national deficits from 1921 to 1939 were caused by payments for past, present, and future wars.

Favor comes because for a brief moment in the great space of human change and progress some general human purpose finds in him a satisfactory embodiment.

Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.

Here is my principle: Taxes shall be levied according to ability to pay. That is the only American principle.

Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.

I am a Christian and a Democrat, that's all.

I am neither bitter nor cynical but I do wish there was less immaturity in political thinking.

I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.

I believe that in every country the people themselves are more peaceably and liberally inclined than their governments.

I do not look upon these United States as a finished product. We are still in the making.

I pledge you, I pledge myself, to a new deal for the American people.

I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.

I'm not the smartest fellow in the world, but I can sure pick smart colleagues.

If civilization is to survive, we must cultivate the science of human relationships - the ability of all peoples, of all kinds, to live together, in the same world at peace.

If I went to work in a factory the first thing I'd do is join a union.

If we can boondoggle ourselves out of this depression, that word is going to be enshrined in the hearts of the American people for years to come.

If you treat people right they will treat you right... ninety percent of the time.

In our personal ambitions we are individualists. But in our seeking for economic and political progress as a nation, we all go up or else all go down as one people.

In our seeking for economic and political progress, we all go up - or else we all go down.

In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way.

It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.

It is fun to be in the same decade with you.

It is the duty of the President to propose and it is the privilege of the Congress to dispose.

It isn't sufficient just to want - you've got to ask yourself what you are going to do to get the things you want.

It takes a long time to bring the past up to the present.

Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country.

Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds.

More than an end to war, we want an end to the beginning of all wars - yes, an end to this brutal, inhuman and thoroughly impractical method of settling the differences between governments.

No government can help the destinies of people who insist in putting sectional and class consciousness ahead of general weal.

No group and no government can properly prescribe precisely what should constitute the body of knowledge with which true education is concerned.

Nobody will ever deprive the American people of the right to vote except the American people themselves and the only way they could do this is by not voting.

Not only our future economic soundness but the very soundness of our democratic institutions depends on the determination of our government to give employment to idle men.

One thing is sure. We have to do something. We have to do the best we know how at the moment... If it doesn't turn out right, we can modify it as we go along.

Our national determination to keep free of foreign wars and foreign entanglements cannot prevent us from feeling deep concern when ideals and principles that we have cherished are challenged.

Physical strength can never permanently withstand the impact of spiritual force.

Prosperous farmers mean more employment, more prosperity for the workers and the business men of every industrial area in the whole country.

Put two or three men in positions of conflicting authority. This will force them to work at loggerheads, allowing you to be the ultimate arbiter.

Remember you are just an extra in everyone else's play.

Rules are not necessarily sacred, principles are.

Self-interest is the enemy of all true affection.

Selfishness is the only real atheism; aspiration, unselfishness, the only real religion.

Somoza may be a son of a bitch, but he's our son of a bitch.

Take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly, and try another. But by all means, try something.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.

The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the goverment.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

The overwhelming majority of Americans are possessed of two great qualities a sense of humor and a sense of proportion.

The point in history at which we stand is full of promise and danger. The world will either move forward toward unity and widely shared prosperity - or it will move apart.

The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize.

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much it is whether we provide enough for those who have little.

The truth is found when men are free to pursue it.

The United States Constitution has proved itself the most marvelously elastic compilation of rules of government ever written.

The virtues are lost in self-interest as rivers are lost in the sea.

There are as many opinions as there are experts.

There are many ways of going forward, but only one way of standing still.

There is a mysterious cycle in human events. To some generations much is given. Of other generations much is expected. This generation of Americans has a rendezvous with destiny.

There is nothing I love as much as a good fight.

This generation of Americans has a rendezvous with destiny.

Those newspapers of the nation which most loudly cried dictatorship against me would have been the first to justify the beginnings of dictatorship by somebody else.

To reach a port, we must sail - sail, not tie at anchor - sail, not drift.

True individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made.

War is a contagion.

We are trying to construct a more inclusive society. We are going to make a country in which no one is left out.

We continue to recognize the greater ability of some to earn more than others. But we do assert that the ambition of the individual to obtain for him a proper security is an ambition to be preferred to the appetite for great wealth and great power.

We have always held to the hope, the belief, the conviction that there is a better life, a better world, beyond the horizon.

We must lay hold of the fact that economic laws are not made by nature. They are made by human beings.

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

When you see a rattlesnake poised to strike, you do not wait until he has struck to crush him.

Whoever seeks to set one religion against another seeks to destroy all religion.

Yesterday, December seventh, 1941, a date which will live in infamy, the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

Friedrich Nietzsche

images

Biography
Type: Philosopher
Nationality: German
Born: October 15, 1844
Died: August 25, 1900

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.

A friend should be a master at guessing and keeping still: you must not want to see everything.

A good writer possesses not only his own spirit but also the spirit of his friends.

A great value of antiquity lies in the fact that its writings are the only ones that modern men still read with exactness.

A pair of powerful spectacles has sometimes sufficed to cure a person in love.

A subject for a great poet would be God's boredom after the seventh day of creation.

A woman may very well form a friendship with a man, but for this to endure, it must be assisted by a little physical antipathy.

Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it.

After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands.

Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

All credibility, all good conscience, all evidence of truth come only from the senses.

All sciences are now under the obligation to prepare the ground for the future task of the philosopher, which is to solve the problem of value, to determine the true hierarchy of values.

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.

All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.

All truth is simple... is that not doubly a lie?

Although the most acute judges of the witches and even the witches themselves, were convinced of the guilt of witchery, the guilt nevertheless was non-existent. It is thus with all guilt.

An artist has no home in Europe except in Paris.

And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh.

Anyone who has declared someone else to be an idiot, a bad apple, is annoyed when it turns out in the end that he isn't.

Arrogance on the part of the meritorious is even more offensive to us than the arrogance of those without merit: for merit itself is offensive.

Art is not merely an imitation of the reality of nature, but in truth a metaphysical supplement to the reality of nature, placed alongside thereof for its conquest.

Art is the proper task of life.

Art raises its head where creeds relax.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.

Before the effect one believes in different causes than one does after the effect.

Behind all their personal vanity, women themselves always have an impersonal contempt for woman.

Blessed are the forgetful: for they get the better even of their blunders.

Character is determined more by the lack of certain experiences than by those one has had.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Do whatever you will, but first be such as are able to will.

Does wisdom perhaps appear on the earth as a raven which is inspired by the smell of carrion?

Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul.

Every church is a stone on the grave of a god-man: it does not want him to rise up again under any circumstances.

Every man is a creative cause of what happens, a primum mobile with an original movement.

'Evil men have no songs.' How is it that the Russians have songs?

Existence really is an imperfect tense that never becomes a present.

Experience, as a desire for experience, does not come off. We must not study ourselves while having an experience.

Extreme positions are not succeeded by moderate ones, but by contrary extreme positions.

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.

Fanatics are picturesque, mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reasons.

Fear is the mother of morality.

For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication.

For the woman, the man is a means: the end is always the child.

Genteel women suppose that those things do not really exist about which it is impossible to talk in polite company.

Glance into the world just as though time were gone: and everything crooked will become straight to you.

Go up close to your friend, but do not go over to him! We should also respect the enemy in our friend.

God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight.

Great indebtedness does not make men grateful, but vengeful; and if a little charity is not forgotten, it turns into a gnawing worm.

He that humbleth himself wishes to be exalted.

He who cannot give anything away cannot feel anything either.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. Is not life a hundred times too short for us to bore ourselves?

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.

He who laughs best today, will also laughs last.

He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.

Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.

I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage.

I cannot believe in a God who wants to be praised all the time.

I do not know what the spirit of a philosopher could more wish to be than a good dancer. For the dance is his ideal, also his fine art, finally also the only kind of piety he knows, his "divine service."

I love those who do not know how to live for today.

I still live, I still think: I still have to live, for I still have to think.

I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance.

Idleness is the parent of psychology.

If a woman possesses manly virtues one should run away from her; and if she does not possess them she runs away from herself.

If there is something to pardon in everything, there is also something to condemn.

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with reality at any point.

In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play.

In everything one thing is impossible: rationality.

In heaven, all the interesting people are missing.

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

In large states public education will always be mediocre, for the same reason that in large kitchens the cooking is usually bad.

In music the passions enjoy themselves.

In praise there is more obtrusiveness than in blame.

In the consciousness of the truth he has perceived, man now sees everywhere only the awfulness or the absurdity of existence and loathing seizes him.

In the course of history, men come to see that iron necessity is neither iron nor necessary.

In the last analysis, even the best man is evil: in the last analysis, even the best woman is bad.

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Is life not a thousand times too short for us to bore ourselves?

Is man one of God's blunders? Or is God one of man's blunders?

It is always consoling to think of suicide: in that way one gets through many a bad night.

It is good to express a thing twice right at the outset and so to give it a right foot and also a left one. Truth can surely stand on one leg, but with two it will be able to walk and get around.

It is impossible to suffer without making someone pay for it; every complaint already contains revenge.

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book.

It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.

It is not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, that the lover of knowledge is reluctant to step into its waters.

It is the most sensual men who need to flee women and torment their bodies.

It says nothing against the ripeness of a spirit that it has a few worms.

Judgments, value judgments concerning life, for or against, can in the last resort never be true: they possess value only as symptoms, they come into consideration only as symptoms - in themselves such judgments are stupidities.

Let us beware of saying that death is the opposite of life. The living being is only a species of the dead, and a very rare species.

Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes.

Love is not consolation. It is light.

Love matches, so called, have illusion for their father and need for their mother.

Madness is rare in individuals - but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule.

Many a man fails as an original thinker simply because his memory it too good.

Many are stubborn in pursuit of the path they have chosen, few in pursuit of the goal.

Morality is the herd-instinct in the individual.

Mystical explanations are thought to be deep; the truth is that they are not even shallow.

Necessity is not an established fact, but an interpretation.

No one lies so boldly as the man who is indignant.

Not necessity, not desire - no, the love of power is the demon of men. Let them have everything - health, food, a place to live, entertainment - they are and remain unhappy and low-spirited: for the demon waits and waits and will be satisfied.

Not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, does the enlightened man dislike to wade into its waters.

Nothing has been purchased more dearly than the little bit of reason and sense of freedom which now constitutes our pride.

Nothing is beautiful, only man: on this piece of naivete rests all aesthetics, it is the first truth of aesthetics. Let us immediately add its second: nothing is ugly but degenerate man - the domain of aesthetic judgment is therewith defined.

Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood.

On the mountains of truth you can never climb in vain: either you will reach a point higher up today, or you will be training your powers so that you will be able to climb higher tomorrow.

Once spirit was God, then it became man, and now it is even becoming mob.

One has to pay dearly for immortality; one has to die several times while one is still alive.

One may sometimes tell a lie, but the grimace that accompanies it tells the truth.

One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

One often contradicts an opinion when what is uncongenial is really the tone in which it was conveyed.

One ought to hold on to one's heart; for if one lets it go, one soon loses control of the head too.

One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly.

Our treasure lies in the beehive of our knowledge. We are perpetually on the way thither, being by nature winged insects and honey gatherers of the mind.

Our vanity is hardest to wound precisely when our pride has just been wounded.

People who have given us their complete confidence believe that they have a right to ours. The inference is false, a gift confers no rights.

Perhaps I know best why it is man alone who laughs; he alone suffers so deeply that he had to invent laughter.

Plato was a bore.

Regarding life, the wisest men of all ages have judged alike: it is worthless.

Rejoicing in our joy, not suffering over our suffering, makes someone a friend.

Shared joys make a friend, not shared sufferings.

Sleeping is no mean art: for its sake one must stay awake all day.

Some are made modest by great praise, others insolent.

Stupid as a man, say the women: cowardly as a woman, say the men. Stupidity in a woman is unwomanly.

Success has always been a great liar.

Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

The "kingdom of Heaven" is a condition of the heart - not something that comes "upon the earth" or "after death."

The abdomen is the reason why man does not readily take himself to be a god.

The aphorism in which I am the first master among Germans, are the forms of "eternity"; my ambition is to say in ten sentences what everyone else says in a book - what everyone else does not say in a book.

The bad gains respect through imitation, the good loses it especially in art.

The best author will be the one who is ashamed to become a writer.

The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy.

The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad.

The demand to be loved is the greatest of all arrogant presumptions.

The desire to annoy no one, to harm no one, can equally well be the sign of a just as of an anxious disposition.

The doer alone learneth.

The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude.

The future influences the present just as much as the past.

The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it.

The lie is a condition of life.

The man of knowledge must be able not only to love his enemies but also to hate his friends.

The most common lie is that which one lies to himself; lying to others is relatively an exception.

The press, the machine, the railway, the telegraph are premises whose thousand-year conclusion no one has yet dared to draw.

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.

The word "Christianity" is already a misunderstanding - in reality there has been only one Christian, and he died on the Cross.

The world itself is the will to power - and nothing else! And you yourself are the will to power - and nothing else!

There are horrible people who, instead of solving a problem, tangle it up and make it harder to solve for anyone who wants to deal with it. Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.

There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths.

There are no facts, only interpretations.

There are no moral phenomena at all, but only a moral interpretation of phenomena.

There are slavish souls who carry their appreciation for favors done them so far that they strangle themselves with the rope of gratitude.

There are various eyes. Even the Sphinx has eyes: and as a result there are various truths, and as a result there is no truth.

There cannot be a God because if there were one, I could not believe that I was not He.

There is a rollicking kindness that looks like malice.

There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.

There is an innocence in admiration; it is found in those to whom it has never yet occurred that they, too, might be admired some day.

There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy.

There is not enough love and goodness in the world to permit giving any of it away to imaginary beings.

There is not enough religion in the world even to destroy religion.

There is nothing we like to communicate to others as much as the seal of secrecy together with what lies under it.

These people abstain, it is true: but the bitch Sensuality glares enviously out of all they do.

This is the hardest of all: to close the open hand out of love, and keep modest as a giver.

This is what is hardest: to close the open hand because one loves.

Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate.

Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.

To be ashamed of one's immorality: that is a step on the staircase at whose end one is also ashamed of one's morality.

To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.

Today I love myself as I love my god: who could charge me with a sin today? I know only sins against my god; but who knows my god?

Two great European narcotics, alcohol and Christianity.

We do not hate as long as we still attach a lesser value, but only when we attach an equal or a greater value.

We have art in order not to die of the truth.

We hear only those questions for which we are in a position to find answers.

We love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving.

We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us.

What can everyone do? Praise and blame. This is human virtue, this is human madness.

What do I care about the purring of one who cannot love, like the cat?

What do you regard as most humane? To spare someone shame.

What does not destroy me, makes me stronger.

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

What is good? All that heightens the feeling of power, the will to power, power itself in man.

What then in the last resort are the truths of mankind? They are the irrefutable errors of mankind.

What? You seek something? You wish to multiply yourself tenfold, a hundredfold? You seek followers? Seek zeros!

Whatever is done for love always occurs beyond good and evil.

When a hundred men stand together, each of them loses his mind and gets another one.

When art dresses in worn-out material it is most easily recognized as art.

When marrying, ask yourself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this person into your old age? Everything else in marriage is transitory.

When one does away with oneself one does the most estimable thing possible: one thereby almost deserves to live.

When one has a great deal to put into it a day has a hundred pockets.

When one has finished building one's house, one suddenly realizes that in the process one has learned something that one really needed to know in the worst way - before one began.

When one has not had a good father, one must create one.

When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called 'Ego'.

Whoever despises himself nonetheless respects himself as one who despises.

Whoever does not have a good father should procure one.

Whoever feels predestined to see and not to believe will find all believers too noisy and pushy: he guards against them.

Whoever has provoked men to rage against him has always gained a party in his favor, too.

Whoever has witnessed another's ideal becomes his inexorable judge and as it were his evil conscience.

Wit is the epitaph of an emotion.

Without music, life would be a mistake.

Woman was God's second mistake.

Women are considered deep - why? Because one can never discover any bottom to them. Women are not even shallow.

Words are but symbols for the relations of things to one another and to us; nowhere do they touch upon absolute truth.

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.

You say it is the good cause that hallows even war? I say unto you: it is the good war that hallows any cause.

George Carlin

images

Biography
Type: Comedian
Born: May 12, 1937
Died: June 22, 2008

Always do whatever's next.

At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth.

Death is caused by swallowing small amounts of saliva over a long period of time.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established.

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

"I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.

I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away.

I think it would be interesting if old people got anti-Alzheimer's disease where they slowly began to recover other people's lost memories.

I think people should be allowed to do anything they want. We haven't tried that for a while. Maybe this time it'll work.

I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a whole lot more as they get older; then it dawned on me - they're cramming for their final exam.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood.

I'm always relieved when someone is delivering a eulogy and I realize I'm listening to it.

I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect.

If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.

If we could just find out who's in charge, we could kill him.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.

In comic strips, the person on the left always speaks first.

Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.

Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough money not to quit.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.

One can never know for sure what a deserted area looks like.

One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think.

Religion is just mind control.

Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that.

Standing ovations have become far too commonplace. What we need are ovations where the audience members all punch and kick one another.

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.

The other night I ate at a real nice family restaurant. Every table had an argument going.

The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

The status quo sucks.

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

Think off-center.

Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they?

What does it mean to pre-board? Do you get on before you get on?

When someone is impatient and says, "I haven't got all day," I always wonder, How can that be? How can you not have all day?

When Thomas Edison worked late into the night on the electric light, he had to do it by gas lamp or candle. I'm sure it made the work seem that much more urgent.

When you step on the brakes your life is in your foot's hands.

When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.

You know an odd feeling? Sitting on the toilet eating a chocolate candy bar.

You know the good part about all those executions in Texas? Fewer Texans.

George S. Patton

images

Biography
Type: Soldier
Born: November 11, 1885
Died: December 21, 1945

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.

A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end.

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood.

Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated.

Always do everything you ask of those you command.

Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle.

Americans play to win at all times. I wouldn't give a hoot and hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor ever lose a war.

Battle is an orgy of disorder.

Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.

Better to fight for something than live for nothing.

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.

Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time.

Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom.

If a man does his best, what else is there?

If a man has done his best, what else is there?

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

If we take the generally accepted definition of bravery as a quality which knows no fear, I have never seen a brave man. All men are frightened. The more intelligent they are, the more they are frightened.

If you tell people where to go, but not how to get there, you'll be amazed at the results.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.

Take calculated risks. That is quite different from being rash.

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.

The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That's the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead!

There is a time to take counsel of your fears, and there is a time to never listen to any fear.

There is only one sort of discipline, perfect discipline.

Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets.

Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.

Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.

We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.

You need to overcome the tug of people against you as you reach for high goals.

bro, isama mo na rin si ilynx jan. hehe

Back
Top Bottom