Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Famous Quotes By Famous People

Abraham Lincoln

images

Biography
Type: President
Nationality: American
Born: February 12, 1809
Died: April 15, 1865

A friend is one who has the same enemies as you have.

A house divided against itself cannot stand.

A woman is the only thing I am afraid of that I know will not hurt me.

All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind.

All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.

Allow the president to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such a purpose - and you allow him to make war at pleasure.

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy.

As our case is new, we must think and act anew.

Avoid popularity if you would have peace.

Ballots are the rightful and peaceful successors to bullets.

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.

Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren't very new at all.

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them.

Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.

Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition.

Every man is said to have his peculiar ambition. Whether it be true or not, I can say for one that I have no other so great as that of being truly esteemed of my fellow men, by rendering myself worthy of their esteem.

Every one desires to live long, but no one would be old.

Everybody likes a compliment.

Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.

Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth.

He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help.

He who molds the public sentiment... makes statutes and decisions possible or impossible to make.

Hold on with a bulldog grip, and chew and choke as much as possible.

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts.

I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.

I can make more generals, but horses cost money.

I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.

I desire so to conduct the affairs of this administration that if at the end... I have lost every other friend on earth, I shall at least have one friend left, and that friend shall be down inside of me.

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end.

I don't know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be.

I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.

I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice.

I hope to stand firm enough to not go backward, and yet not go forward fast enough to wreck the country's cause.

I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.

I never had a policy; I have just tried to do my very best each and every day.

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.

I walk slowly, but I never walk backward.

I want it said of me by those who knew me best, that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.

I was losing interest in politics, when the repeal of the Missouri Compromise aroused me again. What I have done since then is pretty well known.

I will prepare and some day my chance will come.

I'm a slow walker, but I never walk back.

If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business.

If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?

If once you forfeit the confidence of your fellow-citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem.

If there is anything that a man can do well, I say let him do it. Give him a chance.

If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.

If we could first know where we are, and whither we are tending, we could then better judge what to do, and how to do it.

If you call a tail a leg, how many legs has a dog? Five? No, calling a tail a leg don't make it a leg.

Important principles may, and must, be inflexible.

In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be wrong.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Knavery and flattery are blood relations.

Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.

Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another, but let him work diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built.

Lets have faith that right makes might; and in that faith let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.

Marriage is neither heaven nor hell, it is simply purgatory.

Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

My dream is of a place and a time where America will once again be seen as the last best hope of earth.

My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Never stir up litigation. A worse man can scarcely be found than one who does this.

No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.

No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent.

No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.

Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as a heritage of all men, in all lands, everywhere. Destroy this spirit and you have planted the seeds of despotism around your own doors.

Public opinion in this country is everything.

Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail. Without it, nothing can succeed.

Republicans are for both the man and the dollar, but in case of conflict the man before the dollar.

Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right.

Some day I shall be President.

Some single mind must be master, else there will be no agreement in anything.

Stand with anybody that stands right, stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Surely God would not have created such a being as man, with an ability to grasp the infinite, to exist only for a day! No, no, man was made for immortality.

Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves.

That some achieve great success, is proof to all that others can achieve it as well.

The assertion that "all men are created equal" was of no practical use in effecting our separation from Great Britain and it was placed in the Declaration not for that, but for future use.

The ballot is stronger than the bullet.

The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.

The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend.

The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.

The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew.

The highest art is always the most religious, and the greatest artist is always a devout person.

The people themselves, and not their servants, can safely reverse their own deliberate decisions.

The people will save their government, if the government itself will allow them.

The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next.

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.

The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of liberty. Plainly, the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of liberty.

The things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who'll get me a book I ain't read.

The time comes upon every public man when it is best for him to keep his lips closed.

The way for a young man to rise is to improve himself in every way he can, never suspecting that anybody wishes to hinder him.

There is another old poet whose name I do not now remember who said, "Truth is the daughter of Time."

These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert, to fleece the people.

These men ask for just the same thing, fairness, and fairness only. This, so far as in my power, they, and all others, shall have.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.

To give victory to the right, not bloody bullets, but peaceful ballots only, are necessary.

To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

Towering genius disdains a beaten path. It seeks regions hitherto unexplored.

We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.

What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself.

Whatever you are, be a good one.

When I am getting ready to reason with a man, I spend one-third of my time thinking about myself and what I am going to say and two-thirds about him and what he is going to say.

When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.

When I hear a man preach, I like to see him act as if he were fighting bees.

When you have got an elephant by the hind legs and he is trying to run away, it's best to let him run.

Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.

With Malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds.

With public sentiment, nothing can fail. Without it, nothing can succeed.

With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die.

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man's initiative and independence.

You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.

You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was.

George Washington

images

Biography
Born: February 22, 1732
Died: December 14, 1799

A slender acquaintance with the world must convince every man that actions, not words, are the true criterion of the attachment of friends.

Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness.

Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.

Bad seed is a robbery of the worst kind: for your pocket-book not only suffers by it, but your preparations are lost and a season passes away unimproved.

Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.

Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all.

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession.

Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.

Friendship is a plant of slow growth and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.

Happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected.

I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery.

I have no other view than to promote the public good, and am unambitious of honors not founded in the approbation of my Country.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.

I walk on untrodden ground. There is scarcely any part of my conduct which may not hereafter be drawn into precedent.

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War.

It is better to be alone than in bad company.

It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one.

It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company.

It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.

It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it.

It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it.

Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire, called conscience.

Laws made by common consent must not be trampled on by individuals.

Lenience will operate with greater force, in some instances than rigor. It is therefore my first wish to have all of my conduct distinguished by it.

Let us raise a standard to which the wise and honest can repair; the rest is in the hands of God.

Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.

Let your Discourse with Men of Business be Short and Comprehensive.

Let your heart feel for the afflictions and distress of everyone, and let your hand give in proportion to your purse.

Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth.

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.

My first wish is to see this plague of mankind, war, banished from the earth.

My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her.

My observation is that whenever one person is found adequate to the discharge of a duty... it is worse executed by two persons, and scarcely done at all if three or more are employed therein.

Nothing can be more hurtful to the service, than the neglect of discipline; for that discipline, more than numbers, gives one army the superiority over another.

Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all.

Over grown military establishments are under any form of government inauspicious to liberty, and are to be regarded as particularly hostile to republican liberty.

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.

The administration of justice is the firmest pillar of government.

The basis of our political system is the right of the people to make and to alter their constitutions of government.

The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon.

The constitution vests the power of declaring war in Congress; therefore no offensive expedition of importance can be undertaken until after they shall have deliberated upon the subject and authorized such a measure.

The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it.

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

There can be no greater error than to expect, or calculate, upon real favors from nation to nation. It is an illusion which experience must cure, which a just pride ought to discard.

To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace.

True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity, before it is entitled to the appellation.

Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light.

War - An act of violence whose object is to constrain the enemy, to accomplish our will.

We should not look back unless it is to derive useful lessons from past errors, and for the purpose of profiting by dearly bought experience.

When we assumed the Soldier, we did not lay aside the Citizen.

Worry is the interest paid by those who borrow trouble.

Groucho Marx

images

Biography
Type: Comedian
Born: October 2, 1895
Died: August 19, 1977

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.

A hospital bed is a parked taxi with the meter running.

A man's only as old as the woman he feels.

A woman is an occasional pleasure but a cigar is always a smoke.

Alimony is like buying hay for a dead horse.

All people are born alike - except Republicans and Democrats.

Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot.

Before I speak, I have something important to say.

Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife.

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped.

From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it.

Getting older is no problem. You just have to live long enough.

Go, and never darken my towels again.

Humor is reason gone mad.

I didn't like the play, but then I saw it under adverse conditions - the curtain was up.

I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.

I have a mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it.

I intend to live forever, or die trying.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age.

I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

I read in the newspapers they are going to have 30 minutes of intellectual stuff on television every Monday from 7:30 to 8. to educate America. They couldn't educate America if they started at 6:30.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

I remember the first time I had sex - I kept the receipt.

I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.

I wish to be cremated. One tenth of my ashes shall be given to my agent, as written in our contract.

I won't belong to any organization that would have me as a member.

I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.

I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

I'm leaving because the weather is too good. I hate London when it's not raining.

I'm not feeling very well - I need a doctor immediately. Ring the nearest golf course.

I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it.

I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.

If I held you any closer I would be on the other side of you.

If you've heard this story before, don't stop me, because I'd like to hear it again.

In Hollywood, brides keep the bouquets and throw away the groom.

It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.

Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?

Marry me and I'll never look at another horse!

Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms.

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

My favourite poem is the one that starts 'Thirty days hath September' because it actually tells you something.

My mother loved children - she would have given anything if I had been one.

Next time I see you, remind me not to talk to you.

No man goes before his time - unless the boss leaves early.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member.

Politics doesn't make strange bedfellows - marriage does.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Practically everybody in New York has half a mind to write a book, and does.

Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.

Room service? Send up a larger room.

She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon.

The first thing which I can record concerning myself is, that I was born. These are wonderful words. This life, to which neither time nor eternity can bring diminution - this everlasting living soul, began. My mind loses itself in these depths.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

There's one way to find out if a man is honest - ask him. If he says, "Yes," you know he is a crook.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?

Whoever named it necking was a poor judge of anatomy.

Why a four-year-old child could understand this report. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it.

Why should I care about posterity? What's posterity ever done for me?

Why, I'd horse-whip you if I had a horse.

Wives are people who feel they don't dance enough.

Women should be obscene and not heard.

Helen Keller

images

Biography
Type: Author
Born: June 27, 1880
Died: June 1, 1968

All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming.

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.

Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.

As selfishness and complaint pervert the mind, so love with its joy clears and sharpens the vision.

As the eagle was killed by the arrow winged with his own feather, so the hand of the world is wounded by its own skill.

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.

College isn't the place to go for ideas.

Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there's a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see.

Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light.

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

I can see, and that is why I can be happy, in what you call the dark, but which to me is golden. I can see a God-made world, not a manmade world.

I do not want the peace which passeth understanding, I want the understanding which bringeth peace.

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.

I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers.

Instead of comparing our lot with that of those who are more fortunate than we are, we should compare it with the lot of the great majority of our fellow men. It then appears that we are among the privileged.

It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.

It is for us to pray not for tasks equal to our powers, but for powers equal to our tasks, to go forward with a great desire forever beating at the door of our hearts as we travel toward our distant goal.

It is hard to interest those who have everything in those who have nothing.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.

Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all - the apathy of human beings.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything wise in this world.

Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousands of miles and all the years you have lived.

So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good.

Strike against war, for without you no battles can be fought!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.

The heresy of one age becomes the orthodoxy of the next.

The highest result of education is tolerance.

The marvelous richness of human experience would lose something of rewarding joy if there were no limitations to overcome. The hilltop hour would not be half so wonderful if there were no dark valleys to traverse.

The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart.

The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision.

The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision.

The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of tiny pushes of each honest worker.

There is no king who has not had a slave among his ancestors, and no slave who has not had a king among his.

To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.

Toleration is the greatest gift of the mind; it requires the same effort of the brain that it takes to balance oneself on a bicycle.

True happiness... is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.

Unless we form the habit of going to the Bible in bright moments as well as in trouble, we cannot fully respond to its consolations because we lack equilibrium between light and darkness.

Until the great mass of the people shall be filled with the sense of responsibility for each other's welfare, social justice can never be attained.

Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.

We can do anything we want to if we stick to it long enough.

We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy in the world.

We may have found a cure for most evils; but we have found no remedy for the worst of them all, the apathy of human beings.

What a blind person needs is not a teacher but another self.

What I am looking for is not out there, it is in me.

What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.

When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.

While they were saying among themselves it cannot be done, it was done.

Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties.

Henry Ford

images

Biography
Type: Businessman
Born: July 30, 1863
Died: April 7, 1947

A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it.
Henry Ford

A business absolutely devoted to service will have only one worry about profits. They will be embarrassingly large.
Henry Ford

A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business.
Henry Ford

A market is never saturated with a good product, but it is very quickly saturated with a bad one.
Henry Ford

An idealist is a person who helps other people to be prosperous.
Henry Ford

Any colour - so long as it's black.
Henry Ford

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford

As we advance in life we learn the limits of our abilities.
Henry Ford

Before everything else, getting ready is the secret of success.
Henry Ford

Business is never so healthy as when, like a chicken, it must do a certain amount of scratching around for what it gets.
Henry Ford

Capital punishment is as fundamentally wrong as a cure for crime as charity is wrong as a cure for poverty.
Henry Ford

Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.
Henry Ford

Competition is the keen cutting edge of business, always shaving away at costs.
Henry Ford

Don't find fault, find a remedy.
Henry Ford

Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes shine to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait. The grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas.
Henry Ford

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement.
Henry Ford

Exercise is bunk. If you are healthy, you don't need it: if you are sick you should not take it.
Henry Ford

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
Henry Ford

History is more or less bunk.
Henry Ford

I am looking for a lot of men who have an infinite capacity to not know what can't be done.
Henry Ford

I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about.
Henry Ford

I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible.
Henry Ford

I do not believe a man can ever leave his business. He ought to think of it by day and dream of it by night.
Henry Ford

If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.
Henry Ford

If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.
Henry Ford

If there is any one secret of success, it lies in the ability to get the other person's point of view and see things from that person's angle as well as from your own.
Henry Ford

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right.
Henry Ford

It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste.
Henry Ford

It is not the employer who pays the wages. Employers only handle the money. It is the customer who pays the wages.
Henry Ford

It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.
Henry Ford

Life is a series of experiences, each one of which makes us bigger, even though sometimes it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.
Henry Ford

Money is like an arm or leg - use it or lose it.
Henry Ford

Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.
Henry Ford

My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me.
Henry Ford

Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs.
Henry Ford

Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
Henry Ford

One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do.
Henry Ford

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.
Henry Ford

Speculation is only a word covering the making of money out of the manipulation of prices, instead of supplying goods and services.
Henry Ford

The competitor to be feared is one who never bothers about you at all, but goes on making his own business better all the time.
Henry Ford

The highest use of capital is not to make more money, but to make money do more for the betterment of life.
Henry Ford

The man who will use his skill and constructive imagination to see how much he can give for a dollar, instead of how little he can give for a dollar, is bound to succeed.
Henry Ford

The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability.
Henry Ford

There are no big problems, there are just a lot of little problems.
Henry Ford

There is joy in work. There is no happiness except in the realization that we have accomplished something.
Henry Ford

There is no man living that can not do more than he thinks he can.
Henry Ford

There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible.
Henry Ford

Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.
Henry Ford

Time and money spent in helping men to do more for themselves is far better than mere giving.
Henry Ford

We don't want tradition. We want to live in the present and the only history that is worth a tinker's dam is the history we make today.
Henry Ford

Wealth, like happiness, is never attained when sought after directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service.
Henry Ford

What's right about America is that although we have a mess of problems, we have great capacity - intellect and resources - to do some thing about them.
Henry Ford

Whatever you have, you must either use or lose.
Henry Ford

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.
Henry Ford

Whether you believe you can do a thing or not, you are right.
Henry Ford

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.
Henry Ford

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
Henry Ford

You can't learn in school what the world is going to do next year.
Henry Ford

You will find men who want to be carried on the shoulders of others, who think that the world owes them a living. They don't seem to see that we must all lift together and pull together.
Henry Ford

Hunter S. Thompson

images

Biography
Type: Journalist
Born: July 18, 1937
Died: February 20, 2005

A word to the wise is infuriating.

America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Call on God, but row away from the rocks.

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.

Going to trial with a lawyer who considers your whole life-style a Crime in Progress is not a happy prospect.

I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.

If I'd written all the truth I knew for the past ten years, about 600 people - including me - would be rotting in prison cells from Rio to Seattle today. Absolute truth is a very rare and dangerous commodity in the context of professional journalism.

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity.

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master.

Of all the men that have run for president in the twentieth century, only George McGovern truly understood what a monument America could be to the human race.

Politics is the art of controlling your environment.

That was always the difference between Muhammad Ali and the rest of us. He came, he saw, and if he didn't entirely conquer - he came as close as anybody we are likely to see in the lifetime of this doomed generation.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

The person who doesn't scatter the morning dew will not comb gray hairs.

The trouble with Nixon is that he's a serious politics junkie. He's totally hooked and like any other junkie, he's a bummer to have around, especially as President.

The TV business is uglier than most things. It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason.

There is nothing more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.

Jerry Lewis

images

Biography
Type: Comedian
Born: March 16, 1926

A woman doing comedy doesn't offend me, but sets me back a bit. I, as a viewer, have trouble with it. I think of her as a producing machine that brings babies in the world.

Every man's dream is to be able to sink into the arms of a woman without also falling into her hands.

I am probably the most selfish man you will ever meet in your life. No one gets the satisfaction or the joy that I get out of seeing kids realize there is hope.

I get paid for what most kids get punished for.

I've had great success being a total idiot.

People hate me because I am a multifaceted, talented, wealthy, internationally famous genius.

Pity? You don't want to be pitied because you're a cripple in a wheelchair? Stay in your house!

We're leaving the House to people who either were born with a silver spoon in their mouth... or couldn't get better jobs in the first place.

When I was onstage doing the work, adrenaline killed the pain because I never hurt in front of an audience.

Jim Morrison

images

Biography
Type: Musician
Born: December 8, 1943
Died: July 3, 1971

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself.

Actually I don't remember being born, it must have happened during one of my black outs.

Blake said that the body was the soul's prison unless the five senses are fully developed and open. He considered the senses the 'windows of the soul.' When sex involves all the senses intensely, it can be like a mystical experence.

Death makes angels of us all and gives us wings where we had shoulders smooth as ravens claws.

Drugs are a bet with your mind.

Each generation wants new symbols, new people, new names. They want to divorce themselves from their predecessors.

Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free.

Film spectators are quiet vampires.

Friends can help each other. A true friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself - and especially to feel. Or, not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at the moment is fine with them. That's what real love amounts to - letting a person be what he really is.

Hatred is a very underestimated emotion.

I am interested in anything about revolt, disorder, chaos-especially activity that seems to have no meaning. It seems to me to be the road toward freedom... Rather than starting inside, I start outside and reach the mental through the physical.

I believe in a long, prolonged, derangement of the senses in order to obtain the unknown.

I like any reaction I can get with my music. Just anything to get people to think. I mean if you can get a whole room full of drunk, stoned people to actually wake up and think, you're doing something.

I like people who shake other people up and make them feel uncomfortable.

I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.

I think in art, but especially in films, people are trying to confirm their own existences.

I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments.

I'm interested in anything about revolt, disorder, chaos, especially activity that appears to have no meaning. It seems to me to be the road toward freedom.

If my poetry aims to achieve anything, it's to deliver people from the limited ways in which they see and feel.

It's like gambling somehow. You go out for a night of drinking and you don't know where your going to end up the next day. It could work out good or it could be disastrous. It's like the throw of the dice.

Listen, real poetry doesn't say anything; it just ticks off the possibilities. Opens all doors. You can walk through anyone that suits you.

Love cannot save you from your own fate.

Music inflames temperament.

People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death. At the point of death, the pain is over. Yeah, I guess it is a friend.

Sex is full of lies. The body tries to tell the truth. But, it's usually too battered with rules to be heard, and bound with pretenses so it can hardly move. We cripple ourselves with lies.

Some of the worst mistakes of my life have been haircuts.

The appeal of cinema lies in the fear of death.

The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask.

The most loving parents and relatives commit murder with smiles on their faces. They force us to destroy the person we really are: a subtle kind of murder.

The time to hesitate is through.

There are things known and things unknown and in between are the doors.

This is the strangest life I've ever known.

Violence isn't always evil. What's evil is the infatuation with violence.

We fear violence less than our own feelings. Personal, private, solitary pain is more terrifying than what anyone else can inflict.

When you make your peace with authority, you become authority.

Where's your will to be weird?

Whoever controls the media, controls the mind.

Jimi Hendrix

images

Biography
Born: November 27, 1942
Died: September 18, 1970

All I'm gonna do is just go on and do what I feel.

All I'm writing is just what I feel, that's all. I just keep it almost naked. And probably the words are so bland.

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.

Even Castles made of sand, fall into the sea, eventually.

Every city in the world always has a gang, a street gang, or the so-called outcasts.

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

I don't have nothing to regret at all in the past, except that I might've unintentionally hurt somebody else or something.

I got a pet monkey called Charlie Chan.

I have this one little saying, when things get too heavy just call me helium, the lightest known gas to man.

I just hate to be in one corner. I hate to be put as only a guitar player, or either only as a songwriter, or only as a tap dancer. I like to move around.

I try to use my music to move these people to act.

I used to live in a room full of mirrors; all I could see was me. I take my spirit and I crash my mirrors, now the whole world is here for me to see.

I was trying to do too many things at the same time, which is my nature. But I was enjoying it, and I still do enjoy it.

I wish they'd had electric guitars in cotton fields back in the good old days. A whole lot of things would've been straightened out.

I'm gonna put a curse on you and all your kids will be born completely naked.

I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.

If I'm free, it's because I'm always running.

If it was up to me, there wouldn't be no such thing as the establishment.

Imagination is the key to my lyrics. The rest is painted with a little science fiction.

In order to change the world, you have to get your head together first.

It all has to come from inside, though, I guess.

It's funny how most people love the dead, once you're dead your made for life.

It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life.

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music.

Music is a safe kind of high.

Music is my religion.

Music makes me high on stage, and that's the truth. It's like being almost addicted to music.

My goal is to be one with the music. I just dedicate my whole life to this art.

My nature just changes.

Rock is so much fun. That's what it's all about - filling up the chest cavities and empty kneecaps and elbows.

See, that's nothing but blues, that's all I'm singing about. It's today's blues.

Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded.

The reflection of the world is blues, that's where that part of the music is at. Then you got this other kind of music that's tryin' to come around.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.

To be with the others, you have to have your hair short and wear ties. So we're trying to make a third world happen, you know what I mean?

We have time, there's no big rush.

When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild and freak out and do anything they want to do.

When I die, just keep playing the records.

When I played God Bless The Queen, I was wondering if they was gonna dig us, then quite naturally I'd go on and try to get it together.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

When things get too heavy, just call me helium, the lightest known gas to man.

When we go to play, you flip around and flash around and everything, and then they're not gonna see nothin' but what their eyes see. Forget about their ears.

White collar conservative flashin down the street, pointing that plastic finger at me, they all assume my kind will drop and die, but I'm gonna wave my freak flag high.

You don't have to be singing about love all the time in order to give love to the people. You don't have to keep flashing those words all the time.

You have to forget about what other people say, when you're supposed to die, or when you're supposed to be loving. You have to forget about all these things.

You have to give people something to dream on.

You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.

John F. Kennedy

images

Biography
Born: May 29, 1917
Died: November 22, 1963

A child miseducated is a child lost.

A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.

A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.

A nation which has forgotten the quality of courage which in the past has been brought to public life is not as likely to insist upon or regard that quality in its chosen leaders today - and in fact we have forgotten.

A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living. Today's military rejects include tomorrow's hard-core unemployed.

All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin. And therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words "Ich bin ein Berliner!"

America has tossed its cap over the wall of space.

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.

Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

Communism has never come to power in a country that was not disrupted by war or corruption, or both.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.

Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.

Do you realize the responsibility I carry? I'm the only person standing between Richard Nixon and the White House.

Domestic policy can only defeat us; foreign policy can kill us.

Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.

For time and the world do not stand still. Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or the present are certain to miss the future.

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends. Economics has made us partners, and necessity has made us allies. Those whom God has so joined together, let no man put asunder.

History is a relentless master. It has no present, only the past rushing into the future. To try to hold fast is to be swept aside.

I am not the Catholic candidate for President. I am the Democratic Party's candidate for President, who happens also to be a Catholic.

I am sorry to say that there is too much point to the wisecrack that life is extinct on other planets because their scientists were more advanced than ours.

I am the man who accompanied Jacqueline Kennedy to Paris, and I have enjoyed it.

I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times.

I hope that no American will waste his franchise and throw away his vote by voting either for me or against me solely on account of my religious affiliation. It is not relevant.

I just received the following wire from my generous Daddy; Dear Jack, Don't buy a single vote more than is necessary. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for a landslide.

I look forward to a great future for America - a future in which our country will match its military strength with our moral restraint, its wealth with our wisdom, its power with our purpose.

I think 'Hail to the Chief' has a nice ring to it.

I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered at the White House - with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone.

I'm always rather nervous about how you talk about women who are active in politics, whether they want to be talked about as women or as politicians.

I'm an idealist without illusions.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.

If anyone is crazy enough to want to kill a president of the United States, he can do it. All he must be prepared to do is give his life for the president's.

If art is to nourish the roots of our culture, society must set the artist free to follow his vision wherever it takes him.

If we cannot now end our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity.

In a very real sense, it will not be one man going to the moon it will be an entire nation. For all of us must work to put him there.

In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shrink from this responsibility - I welcome it.

Israel was not created in order to disappear - Israel will endure and flourish. It is the child of hope and the home of the brave. It can neither be broken by adversity nor demoralized by success. It carries the shield of democracy and it honors the sword of freedom.

It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war.

It might be said now that I have the best of both worlds. A Harvard education and a Yale degree.

Khrushchev reminds me of the tiger hunter who has picked a place on the wall to hang the tiger's skin long before he has caught the tiger. This tiger has other ideas.

Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.

Let both sides seek to invoke the wonders of science instead of its terrors. Together let us explore the stars, conquer the deserts, eradicate disease, tap the ocean depths, and encourage the arts and commerce.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans - born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace.

Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate.

Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future.

Man is still the most extraordinary computer of all.

Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind.

Modern cynics and skeptics... see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing.

Mothers all want their sons to grow up to be president, but they don't want them to become politicians in the process.

My brother Bob doesn't want to be in government - he promised Dad he'd go straight.

My father always told me that all businessmen were sons of bitches, but I never believed it till now.

My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

No one has been barred on account of his race from fighting or dying for America, there are no white or colored signs on the foxholes or graveyards of battle.

Now we have a problem in making our power credible, and Vietnam is the place.

Once you say you're going to settle for second, that's what happens to you in life.

Our growing softness, our increasing lack of physical fitness, is a menace to our security.

Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal.

Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. And man can be a s big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings.

Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education. The human mind is our fundamental resource.
John F. Kennedy

Peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures.

Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity.

Politics is like football; if you see daylight, go through the hole.

Sure it's a big job; but I don't know anyone who can do it better than I can.

The basic problems facing the world today are not susceptible to a military solution.

The best road to progress is freedom's road.

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

The courage of life is often a less dramatic spectacle than the courage of a final moment; but it is no less a magnificent mixture of triumph and tragedy.

The goal of education is the advancement of knowledge and the dissemination of truth.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

The greater our knowledge increases the more our ignorance unfolds.

The human mind is our fundamental resource.

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

The path we have chosen for the present is full of hazards, as all paths are. The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

The pay is good and I can walk to work.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were.

The tax on capital gains directly affects investment decisions, the mobility and flow of risk capital... the ease or difficulty experienced by new ventures in obtaining capital, and thereby the strength and potential for growth in the economy.

The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining.

The United States has to move very fast to even stand still.

The very word 'secrecy' is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

The world is very different now. For man holds in his mortal hands the power to abolish all forms of human poverty, and all forms of human life.

The world knows that America will never start a war. This generation of Americans has had enough of war and hate... we want to build a world of peace where the weak are secure and the strong are just.

There are many people in the world who really don't understand-or say they don't-what is the great issue between the free world and the Communist world. Let them come to Berlin!

There are risks and costs to action. But they are far less than the long range risks of comfortable inaction.

There is always inequality in life. Some men are killed in a war and some men are wounded and some men never leave the country. Life is unfair.

Things do not happen. Things are made to happen.

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

To state the facts frankly is not to despair the future nor indict the past. The prudent heir takes careful inventory of his legacies and gives a faithful accounting to those whom he owes an obligation of trust.

Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to one's own beliefs. Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others.

Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.

Unconditional war can no longer lead to unconditional victory. It can no longer serve to settle disputes... can no longer be of concern to great powers alone.

Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan.

War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today.

Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm.

We are not afraid to entrust the American people with unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies, and competitive values. For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.

We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came.

We believe that if men have the talent to invent new machines that put men out of work, they have the talent to put those men back to work.

We cannot expect that all nations will adopt like systems, for conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.

We have the power to make this the best generation of mankind in the history of the world or to make it the last.

We must use time as a tool, not as a couch.

We prefer world law in the age of self-determination to world war in the age of mass extermination.

We stand today on the edge of a new frontier - the frontier of the 1960's - a frontier of unknown opportunities and perils - a frontier of unfulfilled hopes and threats.

We would like to live as we once lived, but history will not permit it.

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the area of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.

When we got into office, the thing that surprised me most was to find that things were just as bad as we'd been saying they were.

When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity.

Last edited:
John Lennon

images

Biography
Nationality: English
Born: October 9, 1940
Died: December 8, 1980

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.

All we are saying is give peace a chance.

All you need is love.

And God help Bruce Springsteen when they decide he's no longer God... They'll turn on him, and I hope he survives it.

As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.

Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock and roll or Christianity.

Everybody loves you when you're six foot in the ground.

Everything is clearer when you're in love.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain.

Guilt for being rich, and guilt thinking that perhaps love and peace isn't enough and you have to go and get shot or something.

He didn't come out of my belly, but my God, I've made his bones, because I've attended to every meal, and how he sleeps, and the fact that he swims like a fish because I took him to the ocean. I'm so proud of all those things. But he is my biggest pride.

I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?

I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong.

I don't believe in killing whatever the reason!

I don't know which will go first - rock 'n' roll or Christianity.

I'm not claiming divinity. I've never claimed purity of soul. I've never claimed to have the answers to life. I only put out songs and answer questions as honestly as I can... But I still believe in peace, love and understanding.

I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I'm one of those people.

If being an egomaniac means I believe in what I do and in my art or music, then in that respect you can call me that... I believe in what I do, and I'll say it.

If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace.

If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal.

If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'.

Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one.

It doesn't matter how long my hair is or what colour my skin is or whether I'm a woman or a man.

It was like being in the eye of a hurricane. You'd wake up in a concert and think, Wow, how did I get here?

Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Love is the answer, and you know that for sure; Love is a flower, you've got to let it grow.

Love is the flower you've got to let grow.

Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.

My role in society, or any artist's or poet's role, is to try and express what we all feel. Not to tell people how to feel. Not as a preacher, not as a leader, but as a reflection of us all.

Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it.

Part of me suspects that I'm a loser, and the other part of me thinks I'm God Almighty.

Possession isn't nine-tenths of the law. It's nine-tenths of the problem.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.

Rituals are important. Nowadays it's hip not to be married. I'm not interested in being hip.

Surrealism had a great effect on me because then I realised that the imagery in my mind wasn't insanity. Surrealism to me is reality.

The basic thing nobody asks is why do people take drugs of any sort? Why do we have these accessories to normal living to live? I mean, is there something wrong with society that's making us so pressurized, that we cannot live without guarding ourselves against it?

The cross of the Legion of Honor has been conferred on me. However, few escape that distinction.

The more I see the less I know for sure.

The postman wants an autograph. The cab driver wants a picture. The waitress wants a handshake. Everyone wants a piece of you.

The thing the sixties did was to show us the possibilities and the responsibility that we all had. It wasn't the answer. It just gave us a glimpse of the possibility.

There's nothing you can know that isn't known.

These critics with the illusions they've created about artists - it's like idol worship. They only like people when they're on their way up... I cannot be on the way up again.

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

We were all on this ship in the sixties, our generation, a ship going to discover the New World. And the Beatles were in the crow's nest of that ship.

We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first, rock 'n' roll or Christianity.

We've got this gift of love, but love is like a precious plant. You can't just accept it and leave it in the cupboard or just think it's going to get on by itself. You've got to keep watering it. You've got to really look after it and nurture it.

When you're drowning, you don't say 'I would be incredibly pleased if someone would have the foresight to notice me drowning and come and help me,' you just scream.

Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry.

Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun.

You don't need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!

You either get tired fighting for peace, or you die.

You have to be a bastard to make it, and that's a fact. And the Beatles are the biggest bastards on earth.

You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.

Last edited:
John Wooden

images

Biography
Type: Coach
Born: October 14, 1910

A coach is someone who can give correction without causing resentment.

Ability is a poor man's wealth.

Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then.

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Be prepared and be honest.

Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability.

Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.

I'd rather have a lot of talent and a little experience than a lot of experience and a little talent.

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?

If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes.

It isn't what you do, but how you do it.

It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it.

It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

Material possessions, winning scores, and great reputations are meaningless in the eyes of the Lord, because He knows what we really are and that is all that matters.

Never mistake activity for achievement.

Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.

Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.

Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best you are capable of becoming.

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.

The main ingredient of stardom is the rest of the team.

The worst thing about new books is that they keep us from reading the old ones.

There are many things that are essential to arriving at true peace of mind, and one of the most important is faith, which cannot be acquired without prayer.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.

What you are as a person is far more important that what you are as a basketball player.

Winning takes talent, to repeat takes character.

You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one.

You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.

Khalil Gibran

images

Biography
Type: Poet
Born: January 6, 1883
Died: April 10, 1931

A friend who is far away is sometimes much nearer than one who is at hand. Is not the mountain far more awe-inspiring and more clearly visible to one passing through the valley than to those who inhabit the mountain?

A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle.

Advance, and never halt, for advancing is perfection. Advance and do not fear the thorns in the path, for they draw only corrupt blood.

All our words are but crumbs that fall down from the feast of the mind.

All that spirits desire, spirits attain.

And ever has it been known that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.

Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in a mirror.

But let there be spaces in your togetherness and let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love: let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.

Coming generations will learn equality from poverty, and love from woes.

Death most resembles a prophet who is without honor in his own land or a poet who is a stranger among his people.

Doubt is a pain too lonely to know that faith is his twin brother.

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

Exaggeration is truth that has lost its temper.

Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof.

Faith is an oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking.

For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one.

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.

Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity.

Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need.

Generosity is not giving me that which I need more than you do, but it is giving me that which you need more than I do.

Hallow the body as a temple to comeliness and sanctify the heart as a sacrifice to love; love recompenses the adorers.

I existed from all eternity and, behold, I am here; and I shall exist till the end of time, for my being has no end.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.

I prefer to be a dreamer among the humblest, with visions to be realized, than lord among those without dreams and desires.

I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art.

If my survival caused another to perish, then death would be sweeter and more beloved.

If the grandfather of the grandfather of Jesus had known what was hidden within him, he would have stood humble and awe-struck before his soul.

If the other person injures you, you may forget the injury; but if you injure him you will always remember.

If you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work.

If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. And if they don't, they never were.

If you reveal your secrets to the wind, you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

If your heart is a volcano, how shall you expect flowers to bloom?

In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.

Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children.

Knowledge cultivates your seeds and does not sow in your seeds.

Knowledge of the self is the mother of all knowledge. So it is incumbent on me to know my self, to know it completely, to know its minutiae, its characteristics, its subtleties, and its very atoms.

Let there be no purpose in friendship save the deepening of the spirit.

Life without liberty is like a body without spirit.

Life without love is like a tree without blossoms or fruit.

Love and doubt have never been on speaking terms.

Love is trembling happiness.

Love one another, but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.

Love possesses not nor will it be possessed, for love is sufficient unto love.

Love... it surrounds every being and extends slowly to embrace all that shall be.

Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth.

March on. Do not tarry. To go forward is to move toward perfection. March on, and fear not the thorns, or the sharp stones on life's path.

Most people who ask for advice from others have already resolved to act as it pleases them.

Much of your pain is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self.

No man can reveal to you nothing but that which already lies half-asleep in the dawning of your knowledge.

Nor shall derision prove powerful against those who listen to humanity or those who follow in the footsteps of divinity, for they shall live forever. Forever.

Of life's two chief prizes, beauty and truth, I found the first in a loving heart and the second in a laborer's hand.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Pain and foolishness lead to great bliss and complete knowledge, for Eternal Wisdom created nothing under the sun in vain.

Perplexity is the beginning of knowledge.

Poetry is a deal of joy and pain and wonder, with a dash of the dictionary.

Poverty is a veil that obscures the face of greatness. An appeal is a mask covering the face of tribulation.

Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.

Quotes

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6

Rebellion without truth is like spring in a bleak, arid desert.

Sadness is but a wall between two gardens.

Safeguarding the rights of others is the most noble and beautiful end of a human being.

Say not, 'I have found the truth,' but rather, 'I have found a truth.'

The eye of a human being is a microscope, which makes the world seem bigger than it really is.

The just is close to the people's heart, but the merciful is close to the heart of God.

The lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host, and then a master.

The most pitiful among men is he who turns his dreams into silver and gold.

The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply.

The person you consider ignorant and insignificant is the one who came from God, that he might learn bliss from grief and knowledge from gloom.

The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind.

There are those who give with joy, and that joy is their reward.

They consider me to have sharp and penetrating vision because I see them through the mesh of a sieve.

Time has been transformed, and we have changed; it has advanced and set us in motion; it has unveiled its face, inspiring us with bewilderment and exhilaration.

To be able to look back upon ones life in satisfaction, is to live twice.

To understand the heart and mind of a person, look not at what he has already achieved, but at what he aspires to.

Trust in dreams, for in them is hidden the gate to eternity.

Truth is a deep kindness that teaches us to be content in our everyday life and share with the people the same happiness.

We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them.

What difference is there between us, save a restless dream that follows my soul but fears to come near you?

What is this world that is hastening me toward I know not what, viewing me with contempt?

When love beckons to you, follow him, Though his ways are hard and steep. And when his wings enfold you yield to him, Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.

When we turn to one another for counsel we reduce the number of our enemies.

When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy. When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

When you work you are a flute through whose heart the whispering of the hours turns to music. Which of you would be a reed, dumb and silent, when all else sings together in unison?

Where is the justice of political power if it executes the murderer and jails the plunderer, and then itself marches upon neighboring lands, killing thousands and pillaging the very hills?

Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself.

Wisdom stands at the turn in the road and calls upon us publicly, but we consider it false and despise its adherents.

Work is love made visible. And if you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy.

Would that I were a dry well, and that the people tossed stones into me, for that would be easier than to be a spring of flowing water that the thirsty pass by, and from which they avoid drinking.

Yesterday is but today's memory, and tomorrow is today's dream.

Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.

You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.

You have your ideology and I have mine.

You pray in your distress and in your need; would that you might also pray in the fullness of your joy and in your days of abundance.

Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They came through you but not from you and though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

Your daily life is your temple and your religion. When you enter into it take with you your all.

Your friend is your needs answered.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.

Zeal is a volcano, the peak of which the grass of indecisiveness does not grow.

Back
Top Bottom