Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Famous Quotes By Famous People

Abraham Lincoln

images

Biography
Type: President
Nationality: American
Born: February 12, 1809
Died: April 15, 1865

A friend is one who has the same enemies as you have.

A house divided against itself cannot stand.

A woman is the only thing I am afraid of that I know will not hurt me.

All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind.

All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.

Allow the president to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such a purpose - and you allow him to make war at pleasure.

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy.

As our case is new, we must think and act anew.

Avoid popularity if you would have peace.

Ballots are the rightful and peaceful successors to bullets.

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.

Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren't very new at all.

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them.

Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.

Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition.

Every man is said to have his peculiar ambition. Whether it be true or not, I can say for one that I have no other so great as that of being truly esteemed of my fellow men, by rendering myself worthy of their esteem.

Every one desires to live long, but no one would be old.

Everybody likes a compliment.

Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.

Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth.

He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help.

He who molds the public sentiment... makes statutes and decisions possible or impossible to make.

Hold on with a bulldog grip, and chew and choke as much as possible.

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts.

I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.

I can make more generals, but horses cost money.

I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.

I desire so to conduct the affairs of this administration that if at the end... I have lost every other friend on earth, I shall at least have one friend left, and that friend shall be down inside of me.

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end.

I don't know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be.

I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.

I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice.

I hope to stand firm enough to not go backward, and yet not go forward fast enough to wreck the country's cause.

I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.

I never had a policy; I have just tried to do my very best each and every day.

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.

I walk slowly, but I never walk backward.

I want it said of me by those who knew me best, that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.

I was losing interest in politics, when the repeal of the Missouri Compromise aroused me again. What I have done since then is pretty well known.

I will prepare and some day my chance will come.

I'm a slow walker, but I never walk back.

If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business.

If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?

If once you forfeit the confidence of your fellow-citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem.

If there is anything that a man can do well, I say let him do it. Give him a chance.

If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.

If we could first know where we are, and whither we are tending, we could then better judge what to do, and how to do it.

If you call a tail a leg, how many legs has a dog? Five? No, calling a tail a leg don't make it a leg.

Important principles may, and must, be inflexible.

In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be wrong.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Knavery and flattery are blood relations.

Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.

Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another, but let him work diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built.

Lets have faith that right makes might; and in that faith let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.

Marriage is neither heaven nor hell, it is simply purgatory.

Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

My dream is of a place and a time where America will once again be seen as the last best hope of earth.

My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Never stir up litigation. A worse man can scarcely be found than one who does this.

No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.

No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent.

No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.

Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as a heritage of all men, in all lands, everywhere. Destroy this spirit and you have planted the seeds of despotism around your own doors.

Public opinion in this country is everything.

Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail. Without it, nothing can succeed.

Republicans are for both the man and the dollar, but in case of conflict the man before the dollar.

Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right.

Some day I shall be President.

Some single mind must be master, else there will be no agreement in anything.

Stand with anybody that stands right, stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Surely God would not have created such a being as man, with an ability to grasp the infinite, to exist only for a day! No, no, man was made for immortality.

Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves.

That some achieve great success, is proof to all that others can achieve it as well.

The assertion that "all men are created equal" was of no practical use in effecting our separation from Great Britain and it was placed in the Declaration not for that, but for future use.

The ballot is stronger than the bullet.

The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.

The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend.

The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.

The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew.

The highest art is always the most religious, and the greatest artist is always a devout person.

The people themselves, and not their servants, can safely reverse their own deliberate decisions.

The people will save their government, if the government itself will allow them.

The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next.

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.

The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of liberty. Plainly, the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of liberty.

The things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who'll get me a book I ain't read.

The time comes upon every public man when it is best for him to keep his lips closed.

The way for a young man to rise is to improve himself in every way he can, never suspecting that anybody wishes to hinder him.

There is another old poet whose name I do not now remember who said, "Truth is the daughter of Time."

These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert, to fleece the people.

These men ask for just the same thing, fairness, and fairness only. This, so far as in my power, they, and all others, shall have.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.

To give victory to the right, not bloody bullets, but peaceful ballots only, are necessary.

To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

Towering genius disdains a beaten path. It seeks regions hitherto unexplored.

We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.

What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself.

Whatever you are, be a good one.

When I am getting ready to reason with a man, I spend one-third of my time thinking about myself and what I am going to say and two-thirds about him and what he is going to say.

When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.

When I hear a man preach, I like to see him act as if he were fighting bees.

When you have got an elephant by the hind legs and he is trying to run away, it's best to let him run.

Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.

With Malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds.

With public sentiment, nothing can fail. Without it, nothing can succeed.

With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die.

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man's initiative and independence.

You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.

You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was.

Lao Tzu

images

Biography
Type: Philosopher

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.

A scholar who cherishes the love of comfort is not fit to be deemed a scholar.

All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small.

Ambition has one heel nailed in well, though she stretch her fingers to touch the heavens.

An ant on the move does more than a dozing ox.

Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy.

At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.

Be the chief but never the lord.

Because of a great love, one is courageous.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.

By letting it go it all gets done. The world is won by those who let it go. But when you try and try. The world is beyond the winning.

Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.

For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions.

From caring comes courage.

From wonder into wonder existence opens.

Govern a great nation as you would cook a small fish. Do not overdo it.

Governing a great nation is like cooking a small fish - too much handling will spoil it.

Great acts are made up of small deeds.

Great indeed is the sublimity of the Creative, to which all beings owe their beginning and which permeates all heaven.

He who conquers others is strong; He who conquers himself is mighty.

He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.

He who does not trust enough, Will not be trusted.

He who is contented is rich.

He who knows himself is enlightened.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

He who knows that enough is enough will always have enough.

He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know.

He who obtains has little. He who scatters has much.

He who talks more is sooner exhausted.

Health is the greatest possession. Contentment is the greatest treasure. Confidence is the greatest friend. Non-being is the greatest joy.

How could man rejoice in victory and delight in the slaughter of men?

I do not concern myself with gods and spirits either good or evil nor do I serve any.

I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.

If the Great Way perishes there will morality and duty. When cleverness and knowledge arise great lies will flourish. When relatives fall out with one another there will be filial duty and love. When states are in confusion there will be faithful servants.

If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.

If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve.

If you would take, you must first give, this is the beginning of intelligence.

In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.

In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it.

It is better to do one's own duty, however defective it may be, than to follow the duty of another, however well one may perform it. He who does his duty as his own nature reveals it, never sins.

Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment.

Life and death are one thread, the same line viewed from different sides.

Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them - that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.

Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart and the senses.

Man's enemies are not demons, but human beings like himself.

Manifest plainness, embrace simplicity, reduce selfishness, have few desires.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power.

Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.

Nature is not human hearted.

Nothing is softer or more flexible than water, yet nothing can resist it.

Of all that is good, sublimity is supreme. Succeeding is the coming together of all that is beautiful. Furtherance is the agreement of all that is just. Perseverance is the foundation of all actions.

One can not reflect in streaming water. Only those who know internal peace can give it to others.

One who is too insistent on his own views, finds few to agree with him.

People in their handlings of affairs often fail when they are about to succeed. If one remains as careful at the end as he was at the beginning, there will be no failure.

Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.

Silence is a source of great strength.

Simulated disorder postulates perfect discipline; simulated fear postulates courage; simulated weakness postulates strength.

The career of a sage is of two kinds: He is either honored by all in the world, Like a flower waving its head, Or else he disappears into the silent forest.

The higher the sun ariseth, the less shadow doth he cast; even so the greater is the goodness, the less doth it covet praise; yet cannot avoid its rewards in honours.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

The key to growth is the introduction of higher dimensions of consciousness into our awareness.

The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be.

The people are hungry: It is because those in authority eat up too much in taxes.

The power of intuitive understanding will protect you from harm until the end of your days.

The sage does not hoard. The more he helps others, the more he benefits himself, The more he gives to others, the more he gets himself. The Way of Heaven does one good but never does one harm. The Way of the sage is to act but not to compete.

The snow goose need not bathe to make itself white. Neither need you do anything but be yourself.

The softest things in the world overcome the hardest things in the world.

The wicked leader is he who the people despise. The good leader is he who the people revere. The great leader is he who the people say, 'We did it ourselves.'

The wise man does not lay up his own treasures. The more he gives to others, the more he has for his own.

The words of truth are always paradoxical.

Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge.

To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.

To lead people walk behind them.

To realize that you do not understand is a virtue; Not to realize that you do not understand is a defect.

To see things in the seed, that is genius.

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.

Treat those who are good with goodness, and also treat those who are not good with goodness. Thus goodness is attained. Be honest to those who are honest, and be also honest to those who are not honest. Thus honesty is attained.

Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good.

Violence, even well intentioned, always rebounds upon oneself.

When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish.

When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

When the best leader's work is done the people say, "We did it ourselves."

When virtue is lost, benevolence appears, when benevolence is lost right conduct appears, when right conduct is lost, expedience appears. Expediency is the mere shadow of right and truth; it is the beginning of disorder.

When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everybody will respect you.

Without stirring abroad, One can know the whole world; Without looking out of the window One can see the way of heaven. The further one goes The less one knows.

Bill Cosby

images

Biography
Type: Comedian
Born: July 12, 1937

A new father quickly learns that his child invariably comes to the bathroom at precisely the times when he's in there, as if he needed company. The only way for this father to be certain of bathroom privacy is to shave at the gas station.

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.

Any man today who returns from work, sinks into a chair, and calls for his pipe is a man with an appetite for danger.

As I have discovered by examining my past, I started out as a child. Coincidentally, so did my brother. My mother did not put all her eggs in one basket, so to speak: she gave me a younger brother named Russell, who taught me what was meant by "survival of the fittest."

Civilization had too many rules for me, so I did my best to rewrite them.

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.

Even though your kids will consistently do the exact opposite of what you're telling them to do, you have to keep loving them just as much.

Every closed eye is not sleeping, and every open eye is not seeing.

Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope.

Gray hair is God's graffiti.

Having a child is surely the most beautifully irrational act that two people in love can commit.

Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home.

I am certainly not an authority on love because there are no authorities on love, just those who've had luck with it and those who haven't.

I am proud to be an American. Because an American can eat anything on the face of this earth as long as he has two pieces of bread.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

I guess the real reason that my wife and I had children is the same reason that Napoleon had for invading Russia: it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I wasn't always black... there was this freckle, and it got bigger and bigger.

If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated, let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right.

Immortality is a long shot, I admit. But somebody has to be first.

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

It isn't a matter of black is beautiful as much as it is white is not all that's beautiful.

Let us now set forth one of the fundamental truths about marriage: the wife is in charge.

Like everyone else who makes the mistake of getting older, I begin each day with coffee and obituaries.

Men and women belong to different species and communications between them is still in its infancy.

My childhood should have taught me lessons for my own fatherhood, but it didn't because parenting can only be learned by people who have no children.

No matter how calmly you try to referee, parenting will eventually produce bizarre behavior, and I'm not talking about the kids. Their behavior is always normal.

Nothing I've ever done has given me more joys and rewards than being a father to my children.

Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.

Old is always fifteen years from now.

Parents are not interested in justice, they're interested in peace and quiet.

People can be more forgiving than you can imagine. But you have to forgive yourself. Let go of what's bitter and move on.

Poets have said that the reason to have children is to give yourself immortality. Immortality? Now that I have five children, my only hope is that they are all out of the house before I die.

Raising children is an incredibly hard and risky business in which no cumulative wisdom is gained: each generation repeats the mistakes the previous one made.

Sex education may be a good idea in the schools, but I don't believe the kids should be given homework.

That married couples can live together day after day is a miracle that the Vatican has overlooked.

The essence of childhood, of course, is play, which my friends and I did endlessly on streets that we reluctantly shared with traffic.

The heart of marriage is memories; and if the two of you happen to have the same ones and can savor your reruns, then your marriage is a gift from the gods.

The main goal of the future is to stop violence. The world is addicted to it.

The past is a ghost, the future a dream, and all we ever have is now.

The truth is that parents are not really interested in justice. They just want quiet.

There is hope for the future because God has a sense of humor and we are funny to God.

There is no labor a person does that is undignified; if they do it right.

Through humor, you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers. And once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it.

When you become senile, you won't know it.

Women don't want to hear what you think. Women want to hear what they think - in a deeper voice.

You can turn painful situations around through laughter. If you can find humor in anything, even poverty, you can survive it.

You know the only people who are always sure about the proper way to raise children? Those who've never had any.

Henry David Thoreau

images

Biography
Type: Author
Born: July 12, 1817
Died: May 6, 1862

A broad margin of leisure is as beautiful in a man's life as in a book. Haste makes waste, no less in life than in housekeeping. Keep the time, observe the hours of the universe, not of the cars.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

A man's interest in a single bluebird is worth more than a complete but dry list of the fauna and flora of a town.

A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by acting.

After the first blush of sin comes its indifference.

Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something.

Alas! how little does the memory of these human inhabitants enhance the beauty of the landscape!

All endeavor calls for the ability to tramp the last mile, shape the last plan, endure the last hours toil. The fight to the finish spirit is the one... characteristic we must posses if we are to face the future as finishers.

All men are children, and of one family. The same tale sends them all to bed, and wakes them in the morning.

All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man.

An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.

An unclean person is universally a slothful one.

Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.

As for doing good; that is one of the professions which is full. Moreover I have tried it fairly and, strange as it may seem, am satisfied that it does not agree with my constitution.

As if you could kill time without injuring eternity.

As in geology, so in social institutions, we may discover the causes of all past changes in the present invariable order of society.

As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.

Be not simply good - be good for something.

Be true to your work, your word, and your friend.

Before printing was discovered, a century was equal to a thousand years.

Being is the great explainer.

Beware of all enterprises that require a new set of clothes.

Books are the treasured wealth of the world and the fit inheritance of generations and nations.

Books are to be distinguished by the grandeur of their topics even more than by the manner in which they are treated.

Books can only reveal us to ourselves, and as often as they do us this service we lay them aside.

Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.

Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes.

Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life so. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something.

Do not hire a man who does your work for money, but him who does it for love of it.

Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends... Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts.

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air. They are where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Do what nobody else can do for you. Omit to do anything else.

Do what you love. Know your own bone; gnaw at it, bury it, unearth it, and gnaw it still.

Dreams are the touchstones of our character.

Every creature is better alive than dead, men and moose and pine trees, and he who understands it aright will rather preserve its life than destroy it.

Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.

Every man casts a shadow; not his body only, but his imperfectly mingled spirit. This is his grief. Let him turn which way he will, it falls opposite to the sun; short at noon, long at eve. Did you never see it?

Every people have gods to suit their circumstances.

Faith keeps many doubts in her pay. If I could not doubt, I should not believe.

Faith never makes a confession.

Friends... they cherish one another's hopes. They are kind to one another's dreams.

Front yards are not made to walk in, but, at most, through, and you could go in the back way.

Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

God reigns when we take a liberal view, when a liberal view is presented to us.

Goodness is the only investment that never fails.

Great men, unknown to their generation, have their fame among the great who have preceded them, and all true worldly fame subsides from their high estimate beyond the stars.

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.

How can any man be weak who dares to be at all?

How could youths better learn to live than by at once trying the experiment of living?

How does it become a man to behave towards the American government today? I answer, that he cannot without disgrace be associated with it.

How many things there are concerning which we might well deliberate whether we had better know them.

How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.

I am sorry to think that you do not get a man's most effective criticism until you provoke him. Severe truth is expressed with some bitterness.

I did not wish to take a cabin passage, but rather to go before the mast and on the deck of the world, for there I could best see the moonlight amid the mountains. I do not wish to go below now.

I had three chairs in my house; one for solitude, two for friendship, three for society.

I have a great deal of company in the house, especially in the morning when nobody calls.

I have always been regretting that I was not as wise as the day I was born.

I have been as sincere a worshipper of Aurora as the Greeks.

I have found that hollow, which even I had relied on for solid.

I have seen how the foundations of the world are laid, and I have not the least doubt that it will stand a good while.

I have thought there was some advantage even in death, by which we mingle with the herd of common men.

I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.

I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.

I never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude.

I put a piece of paper under my pillow, and when I could not sleep I wrote in the dark.

I say beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.

I think that there is nothing, not even crime, more opposed to poetry, to philosophy, ay, to life itself than this incessant business.

I was more independent than any farmer in Concord, for I was not anchored to a house or farm, but could follow the bent of my genius, which is a very crooked one, every moment.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.

If a man constantly aspires is he not elevated?

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen.

If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life.

If I seem to boast more than is becoming, my excuse is that I brag for humanity rather than for myself.

If it is surely the means to the highest end we know, can any work be humble or disgusting? Will it not rather be elevating as a ladder, the means by which we are translated?

If misery loves company, misery has company enough.

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success unexpected in common hours.

If we will be quiet and ready enough, we shall find compensation in every disappointment.

If you can speak what you will never hear, if you can write what you will never read, you have done rare things.

If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. Men will believe what they see.

Ignorance and bungling with love are better than wisdom and skill without.

In my afternoon walk I would fain forget all my morning occupations and my obligations to society.

In the long run, men hit only what they aim at. Therefore, they had better aim at something high.

In the meanest are all the materials of manhood, only they are not rightly disposed.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world.

Instead of noblemen, let us have noble villages of men.

Is the babe young? When I behold it, it seems more venerable than the oldest man.

It appears to be a law that you cannot have a deep sympathy with both man and nature.

It is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things.

It is an interesting question how far men would retain their relative rank if they were divested of their clothes.

It is best to avoid the beginnings of evil.

It is better to have your head in the clouds, and know where you are... than to breathe the clearer atmosphere below them, and think that you are in paradise.

It is never too late to give up our prejudices.

It is not desirable to cultivate a respect for the law, so much as for the right.

It is not enough to be busy. So are the ants. The question is: What are we busy about?

It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers, any more than it is to make sheep ferocious.

It is only when we forget all our learning that we begin to know.

It is remarkable how closely the history of the apple tree is connected with that of man.

It is the greatest of all advantages to enjoy no advantage at all.

It is too late to be studying Hebrew; it is more important to understand even the slang of today.

It is usually the imagination that is wounded first, rather than the heart; it being much more sensitive.

It is what a man thinks of himself that really determines his fate.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Justice is sweet and musical; but injustice is harsh and discordant.

Live the life you've dreamed.

Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around.

Live your life, do your work, then take your hat.

Make the most of your regrets; never smother your sorrow, but tend and cherish it till it comes to have a separate and integral interest. To regret deeply is to live afresh.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

May we so love as never to have occasion to repent of our love!

Men are born to succeed, not to fail.

Men have a respect for scholarship and learning greatly out of proportion to the use they commonly serve.

Men have become the tools of their tools.

Money is not required to buy one necessity of the soul.

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.

Nature and human life are as various as our several constitutions. Who shall say what prospect life offers to another?

Nature is full of genius, full of the divinity; so that not a snowflake escapes its fashioning hand.

Nature puts no question and answers none which we mortals ask. She has long ago taken her resolution.

Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.

Never look back unless you are planning to go that way.

Night is certainly more novel and less profane than day.

No face which we can give to a matter will stead us so well at last as the truth. This alone wears well.

None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm.

Not only must we be good, but we must also be good for something.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Nothing goes by luck in composition. It allows of no tricks. The best you can write will be the best you are.

Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.

Old deeds for old people, and new deeds for new.

Only he is successful in his business who makes that pursuit which affords him the highest pleasure sustain him.

Only that day dawns to which we are awake.

Our houses are such unwieldy property that we are often imprisoned rather than housed by them.

Our inventions are wont to be pretty toys, which distract our attention from serious things. They are but improved means to an unimproved end.

Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify.

Our moments of inspiration are not lost though we have no particular poem to show for them; for those experiences have left an indelible impression, and we are ever and anon reminded of them.

Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence.

Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth.

Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at all.

Shall I not have intelligence with the earth? Am I not partly leaves and vegetable mould myself.

Simplify, simplify.

Some are reputed sick and some are not. It often happens that the sicker man is the nurse to the sounder.

Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.

Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.

That government is best which governs least.

That man is rich whose pleasures are the cheapest.

The bluebird carries the sky on his back.

The fibers of all things have their tension and are strained like the strings of an instrument.

The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.

The heart is forever inexperienced.

The language of excitement is at best picturesque merely. You must be calm before you can utter oracles.

The language of friendship is not words but meanings.

The law will never make a man free; it is men who have got to make the law free.

The lawyer's truth is not Truth, but consistency or a consistent expediency.

The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.

The man who is dissatisfied with himself, what can he do?

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend.

The perception of beauty is a moral test.

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.

The rarest quality in an epitaph is truth.

The savage in man is never quite eradicated.

The smallest seed of faith is better than the largest fruit of happiness.

The squirrel that you kill in jest, dies in earnest.

The universe is wider than our views of it.

There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

There are moments when all anxiety and stated toil are becalmed in the infinite leisure and repose of nature.

There is always a present and extant life, be it better or worse, which all combine to uphold.

There is but one stage for the peasant and the actor.

There is danger that we lose sight of what our friend is absolutely, while considering what she is to us alone.

There is more of good nature than of good sense at the bottom of most marriages.

There is no just and serene criticism as yet.

There is no more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of his life getting his living.

There is no odor so bad as that which arises from goodness tainted.

There is no remedy for love but to love more.

There is no rule more invariable than that we are paid for our suspicions by finding what we suspect.

There is no value in life except what you choose to place upon it and no happiness in any place except what you bring to it yourself.

There is one consolation in being sick; and that is the possibility that you may recover to a better state than you were ever in before.

There never was and is not likely soon to be a nation of philosophers, nor am I certain it is desirable that there should be.

They can do without architecture who have no olives nor wines in the cellar.

Things do not change; we change.

This world is but a canvas to our imagination.

Those whom we can love, we can hate; to others we are indifferent.

Through our own recovered innocence we discern the innocence of our neighbors.

Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

'Tis healthy to be sick sometimes.

To a philosopher all news, as it is called, is gossip, and they who edit and read it are old women over their tea.

To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts.

To have done anything just for money is to have been truly idle.

True friendship can afford true knowledge. It does not depend on darkness and ignorance.

Truths and roses have thorns about them.

Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a just man is also a prison.

We are always paid for our suspicion by finding what we suspect.

We are not what we are, nor do we treat or esteem each other for such, but for what we are capable of being.

We know but a few men, a great many coats and breeches.

We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake, not by mechanical aid, but by an infinite expectation of the dawn.

We must walk consciously only part way toward our goal, and then leap in the dark to our success.

We shall see but a little way if we require to understand what we see.

We should distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes.

Wealth is the ability to fully experience life.

What is called genius is the abundance of life and health.

What is human warfare but just this; an effort to make the laws of God and nature take sides with one party.

What is once well done is done forever.

What is the use of a house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.

What old people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can. Old deeds for old people, and new deeds for new.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.

Where there is an observatory and a telescope, we expect that any eyes will see new worlds at once.

You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment.

Joel Osteen

images

Biography
Type: Clergyman
Born: March 5, 1963

A good thing to remember is somebody's got it a lot worse than we do.

A lot of churches have not moved with the times.

Choosing to be positive and having a grateful attitude is going to determine how you're going to live your life.

Do all you can to make your dreams come true.

Faith activates God - Fear activates the Enemy.

God didn't make a mistake when He made you. You need to see yourself as God sees you.

God wants to bless us where we are.

God wants us to prosper financially, to have plenty of money, to fulfill the destiny He has laid out for us.

I don't go down the road of condemning.

I don't think that a same-sex marriage is the way God intended it to be.

I don't want to just preach to the church. I feel like I have a broader message.

I have always believed in God.

I made a decision when my father passed away that I was going to be who God made me to be and not try to preach like my father.

I think Bible principles are principles for life.

I think God's justice is making wrongs right.

I try to speak in everyday language. I feel like God has gifted me to take Bible principles and make them practical.

I'm going to let God be the judge of who goes to heaven and hell.

I'm very careful about saying who would and wouldn't go to heaven. I don't know.

I've never preached one sermon on money, on just finances. I want to stay away from it.

If Jesus were here today, he wouldn't be riding around on a donkey. He'd be taking a plane, he'd be using the media.

If we say it long enough eventually we're going to reap a harvest. We're going to get exactly what we're saying.

If you give, you will be blessed.

If you want to rear financial blessings, you have to sow financially.

It's God's will for you to live in prosperity instead of poverty. It's God's will for you to pay your bills and not be in debt.

Most people already know what they're doing wrong. When I get them to church I want to tell them that you can change.

Only God can look at somebody's heart.

People respond when you tell them there is a great future in front of you, you can leave your past behind.

Prospering just doesn't have to do with money.

To me, we're marketing hope.

We were old sinners - but when we came to Christ we are not sinners anymore.

When you focus on being a blessing, God makes sure that you are always blessed in abundance.

You can be committed to Church but not committed to Christ, but you cannot be committed to Christ and not committed to church.

You can be happy where you are.

You can change your world by changing your words... Remember, death and life are in the power of the tongue.

You may make some mistakes-but that doesn't make you a sinner. You've got the very nature of God on the inside of you.

Lucille ball

images

Biography
Type: Comedian
Born: August 6, 1911
Died: April 26, 1989

Ability is of little account without opportunity.
Lucille Ball

How I Love Lucy was born? We decided that instead of divorce lawyers profiting from our mistakes, we'd profit from them.
Lucille Ball

I am a real ham. I love an audience. I work better with an audience. I am dead, in fact, without one.
Lucille Ball

I hate failure and that divorce was a Number One failure in my eyes. It was the worst period of my life. Neither Desi nor I have been the same since, physically or mentally.
Lucille Ball

I have an everyday religion that works for me. Love yourself first, and everything else falls into line.
Lucille Ball

I regret the passing of the studio system. I was very appreciative of it because I had no talent.
Lucille Ball

I think knowing what you cannot do is more important than knowing what you can.
Lucille Ball

I will never do another TV series. It couldn't top I Love Lucy, and I'd be foolish to try. In this business, you have to know when to get off.
Lucille Ball

I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.
Lucille Ball

I'm happy that I have brought laughter because I have been shown by many the value of it in so many lives, in so many ways.
Lucille Ball

I'm not funny. What I am is brave.
Lucille Ball

I'm sometimes scared of everything that has happened to us. We didn't think Desilu Productions would grow so big. We merely wanted to be together and have two children.
Lucille Ball

If you want something done, ask a busy person to do it. The more things you do, the more you can do.
Lucille Ball

In life, all good things come hard, but wisdom is the hardest to come by.
Lucille Ball

It's a helluva start, being able to recognize what makes you happy.
Lucille Ball

Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.
Lucille Ball

Luck? I don't know anything about luck. I've never banked on it and I'm afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work - and realizing what is opportunity and what isn't.
Lucille Ball

Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead.
Lucille Ball

One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn' t pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.
Lucille Ball

The more things you do, the more you can do.
Lucille Ball

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

Use a make-up table with everything close at hand and don't rush; otherwise you'll look like a patchwork quilt.

Women's Lib? Oh, I'm afraid it doesn't interest me one bit. I've been so liberated it hurts.

You see much more of your children once they leave home.

Mae West

images

Biography
Type: Actress
Born: August 17, 1893
Died: November 22, 1980

A dame that knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up.

A hard man is good to find.

A man can be short and dumpy and getting bald but if he has fire, women will like him.

A man has one hundred dollars and you leave him with two dollars, that's subtraction.

A man in the house is worth two in the street.

A man's kiss is his signature.

A woman in love can't be reasonable - or she probably wouldn't be in love.

All discarded lovers should be given a second chance, but with somebody else.

An ounce of performance is worth pounds of promises.

Any time you got nothing to do - and lots of time to do it - come on up.

Any time you've got nothing to do and lots of time to do it come on up.

Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Cultivate your curves - they may be dangerous but they won't be avoided.

Don't keep a man guessing too long - he's sure to find the answer somewhere else.

Don't marry a man to reform him - that's what reform schools are for.

Every man I meet wants to protect me. I can't figure out what from.

Give a man a free hand and he'll run it all over you.

He who hesitates is a damned fool.

He's the kind of man a woman would have to marry to get rid of.

His mother should have thrown him out and kept the stork.

I always say, keep a diary and someday it'll keep you.

I believe in censorship. I made a fortune out of it.

I believe that it's better to be looked over than it is to be overlooked.

I didn't discover curves; I only uncovered them.

I enjoyed the courtroom as just another stage but not so amusing as Broadway.

I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

I like a man who's good, but not too good - for the good die young, and I hate a dead one.

I like restraint, if it doesn't go too far.

I never loved another person the way I loved myself.

I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number you get in a diamond.

I only have 'yes' men around me. Who needs 'no' men?

I only like two kinds of men, domestic and imported.

I see you're a man with ideals. I better be going before you've still got them.

I speak two languages, Body and English.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.

I'd like to see Paris before I die. Philadelphia will do.

I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure.

I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action.

I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.

I've been in more laps than a napkin.

I've been things and seen places.

If I asked for a cup of coffee, someone would search for the double meaning.

It ain't no sin if you crack a few laws now and then, just so long as you don't break any.

It is better to be looked over than overlooked.

It isn't what I do, but how I do it. It isn't what I say, but how I say it, and how I look when I do it and say it.

It takes two to get one in trouble.

It's hard to be funny when you have to be clean.

It's not the men in my life that count, it's the life in my men.

It's not what I do, but the way I do it. It's not what I say, but the way I say it.

Keep a diary, and someday it'll keep you.

Look your best - who said love is blind?

Love conquers all things except poverty and toothache.

Love isn't an emotion or an instinct - it's an art.

Love thy neighbor - and if he happens to be tall, debonair and devastating, it will be that much easier.

Marriage is a great institution, but I'm not ready for an institution.

One and one is two, and two and two is four, and five will get you ten if you know how to work it.

Opportunity knocks for every man, but you have to give a woman a ring.

Personality is the glitter that sends your little gleam across the footlights and the orchestra pit into that big black space where the audience is.

Personality is the most important thing to an actress's success.

Personally, I like two types of men - domestic and foreign.

Right now I think censorship is necessary; the things they're doing and saying in films right now just shouldn't be allowed. There's no dignity anymore and I think that's very important.

Save a boyfriend for a rainy day - and another, in case it doesn't rain.

Say what you want about long dresses, but they cover a multitude of shins.

Sex is emotion in motion.

She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success wrong by wrong.

Ten men waiting for me at the door? Send one of them home, I'm tired.

The best way to hold a man is in your arms.

The score never interested me, only the game.

Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often.

To err is human, but it feels divine.

Too much of a good thing can be taxing.

Too much of a good thing can be wonderful.

Virtue has its own reward, but no sale at the box office.

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.

When I'm good I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better.

When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad I'm better.

When women go wrong, men go right after them.

Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

Marcus Aurelius

images

Biography
Type: Soldier
Nationality: Roman
Born: April 26, 121
Died: March 17, 180

A man should be upright, not be kept upright.

A man's worth is no greater than his ambitions.

A noble man compares and estimates himself by an idea which is higher than himself; and a mean man, by one lower than himself. The one produces aspiration; the other ambition, which is the way in which a vulgar man aspires.

Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has ordained that you shall live.

And thou wilt give thyself relief, if thou doest every act of thy life as if it were the last.

Anger cannot be dishonest.

Anything in any way beautiful derives its beauty from itself and asks nothing beyond itself. Praise is no part of it, for nothing is made worse or better by praise.

Aptitude found in the understanding and is often inherited. Genius coming from reason and imagination, rarely.

Be content to seem what you really are.

Be content with what you are, and wish not change; nor dread your last day, nor long for it.

Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also.

Begin - to begin is half the work, let half still remain; again begin this, and thou wilt have finished.

Confine yourself to the present.

Death is a release from the impressions of the senses, and from desires that make us their puppets, and from the vagaries of the mind, and from the hard service of the flesh.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature.

Despise not death, but welcome it, for nature wills it like all else.

Dig within. Within is the wellspring of Good; and it is always ready to bubble up, if you just dig.

Do every act of your life as if it were your last.

Each day provides its own gifts.

Each thing is of like form from everlasting and comes round again in its cycle.

Everything that exists is in a manner the seed of that which will be.

Everything that happens happens as it should, and if you observe carefully, you will find this to be so.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

Execute every act of thy life as though it were thy last.

Forward, as occasion offers. Never look round to see whether any shall note it... Be satisfied with success in even the smallest matter, and think that even such a result is no trifle.

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Here is the rule to remember in the future, When anything tempts you to be bitter: not, "This is a misfortune" but "To bear this worthily is good fortune."

How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it.

How much time he saves who does not look to see what his neighbor says or does or thinks.

I have often wondered how it is that every man loves himself more than all the rest of men, but yet sets less value on his own opinions of himself than on the opinions of others.

If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.

It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.

Let it be your constant method to look into the design of people's actions, and see what they would be at, as often as it is practicable; and to make this custom the more significant, practice it first upon yourself.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.

Let not your mind run on what you lack as much as on what you have already.

Life is neither good or evil, but only a place for good and evil.

Look back over the past, with its changing empires that rose and fell, and you can foresee the future, too.

Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble up, if thou wilt ever dig.

Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight.

Men exist for the sake of one another.

Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than education without natural ability.

Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.

Nothing happens to any man that he is not formed by nature to bear.

Nothing has such power to broaden the mind as the ability to investigate systematically and truly all that comes under thy observation in life.

Nowhere can man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul.

Observe constantly that all things take place by change, and accustom thyself to consider that the nature of the Universe loves nothing so much as to change the things which are, and to make new things like them.

Our life is what our thoughts make it.

Perhaps there are none more lazy, or more truly ignorant, than your everlasting readers.

Poverty is the mother of crime.

Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.

Such as are your habitual thoughts, such also will be the character of your mind; for the soul is dyed by the thoughts.

That which is not good for the bee-hive cannot be good for the bees.

The act of dying is one of the acts of life.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury.

The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts: therefore, guard accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

The only wealth which you will keep forever is the wealth you have given away.

The secret of all victory lies in the organization of the non-obvious.

The sexual embrace can only be compared with music and with prayer.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

The universal order and the personal order are nothing but different expressions and manifestations of a common underlying principle.

The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The universe is transformation; our life is what our thoughts make it.

There is nothing happens to any person but what was in his power to go through with.

Time is a sort of river of passing events, and strong is its current; no sooner is a thing brought to sight than it is swept by and another takes its place, and this too will be swept away.

To live happily is an inward power of the soul.

To refrain from imitation is the best revenge.

To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution.

To understand the true quality of people, you must look into their minds, and examine their pursuits and aversions.

Tomorrow is nothing, today is too late; the good lived yesterday.

Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.

Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.

We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.

We ought to do good to others as simply as a horse runs, or a bee makes honey, or a vine bears grapes season after season without thinking of the grapes it has borne.

What springs from earth dissolves to earth again, and heaven-born things fly to their native seat.

Whatever the universal nature assigns to any man at any time is for the good of that man at that time.

When thou art above measure angry, bethink thee how momentary is man's life.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

Where a man can live, he can also live well.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

You must become an old man in good time if you wish to be an old man long.

Your life is what your thoughts make it.

Manilyn Monroe

images

Biography
Type: Actress
Born: June 1, 1926
Died: August 5, 1962

A career is wonderful, but you can't curl up with it on a cold night.

A sex symbol becomes a thing. I just hate to be a thing.

An actress is not a machine, but they treat you like a machine. A money machine.

Before marriage, a girl has to make love to a man to hold him. After marriage, she has to hold him to make love to him.

Being a sex symbol is a heavy load to carry, especially when one is tired, hurt and bewildered.

Dogs never bite me. Just humans.

Dreaming about being an actress, is more exciting then being one.

Fame will go by and, so long, I've had you, fame. If it goes by, I've always known it was fickle. So at least it's something I experience, but that's not where I live.

First, I'm trying to prove to myself that I'm a person. Then maybe I'll convince myself that I'm an actress.

Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul.

Husbands are chiefly good as lovers when they are betraying their wives.

I am invariably late for appointments - sometimes as much as two hours. I've tried to change my ways but the things that make me late are too strong, and too pleasing.

I am involved in a freedom ride protesting the loss of the minority rights belonging to the few remaining earthbound stars. All we demanded was our right to twinkle.

I don't know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot.

I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.

I don't mind making jokes, but I don't want to look like one.

I don't want to make money, I just want to be wonderful.

I guess I have always been deeply terrified to really be someone's wife since I know from life one cannot love another, ever, really.

I have feelings too. I am still human. All I want is to be loved, for myself and for my talent.

I have too many fantasies to be a housewife. I guess I am a fantasy.

I knew I belonged to the public and to the world, not because I was talented or even beautiful, but because I had never belonged to anything or anyone else.

I restore myself when I'm alone.

I'm very definitely a woman and I enjoy it.

I've been on a calendar, but I've never been on time.

I've never dropped anyone I believed in.

If I'd observed all the rules, I'd never have got anywhere.

If I'm a star, then the people made me a star.

It's all make believe, isn't it?

It's better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone - so far.

It's not true I had nothing on, I had the radio on.

It's often just enough to be with someone. I don't need to touch them. Not even talk. A feeling passes between you both. You're not alone.

Men are so willing to respect anything that bores them.

My work is the only ground I've ever had to stand on. I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation but I'm working on the foundation.

No one ever told me I was pretty when I was a little girl. All little girls should be told they're pretty, even if they aren't.

Sex is a part of nature. I go along with nature.

The body is meant to be seen, not all covered up.

The thing I want more than anything else? I want to have children. I used to feel for every child I had, I would adopt another.

The trouble with censors is that they worry if a girl has cleavage. They ought to worry if she hasn't any.

There was my name up in lights. I said, 'God, somebody's made a mistake.' But there it was, in lights. And I sat there and said, 'Remember, you're not a star.' Yet there it was up in lights.

To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I'm working on the foundation.

What do I wear in bed? Why, Chanel No. 5, of course.

Mark Twain

images

Biography
Type: Author
Born: November 30, 1835
Died: April 21, 1910

A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.

A man is never more truthful than when he acknowledges himself a liar.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.

A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.

A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds.

A round man cannot be expected to fit in a square hole right away. He must have time to modify his shape.

Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often.

Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

All generalizations are false, including this one.

All right, then, I'll go to hell.

All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure.

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.

Any emotion, if it is sincere, is involuntary.

Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today.

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.

Be careless in your dress if you will, but keep a tidy soul.

Better a broken promise than none at all.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Biographies are but the clothes and buttons of the man. The biography of the man himself cannot be written.

But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?

Buy land, they're not making it anymore.

By trying we can easily endure adversity. Another man's, I mean.

Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.

Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities.

'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.

Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.

Don't let schooling interfere with your education.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

Don't say the old lady screamed. Bring her on and let her scream.

Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Drag your thoughts away from your troubles... by the ears, by the heels, or any other way you can manage it.

Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned.

Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold.

Everything human is pathetic. The secret source of humor itself is not joy but sorrow. There is no humor in heaven.

Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable.

Familiarity breeds contempt - and children.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.

George Washington, as a boy, was ignorant of the commonest accomplishments of youth. He could not even lie.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.

God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board.

Golf is a good walk spoiled.

Good breeding consists in concealing how much we think of ourselves and how little we think of the other person.

Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.

Grief can take care if itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with.

He is now rising from affluence to poverty.

Honesty is the best policy - when there is money in it.

Humor is mankind's greatest blessing.

Humor must not professedly teach and it must not professedly preach, but it must do both if it would live forever.

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.

I can live for two months on a good compliment.

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.

I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell - you see, I have friends in both places.

I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel that they have not said enough.

I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting.

I make it a rule never to smoke while I'm sleeping.

I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.

I never let schooling interfere with my education.

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.

I was seldom able to see an opportunity until it had ceased to be one.

I've never let my school interfere with my education.

Ideally a book would have no order to it, and the reader would have to discover his own.

If it's your job to eat a frog, it's best to do it first thing in the morning. And If it's your job to eat two frogs, it's best to eat the biggest one first.

If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat.

If the world comes to an end, I want to be in Cincinnati. Everything comes there ten years later.

If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way.

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards.

In the Spring, I have counted 136 different kinds of weather inside of 24 hours.

It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except Congress.

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

It is better to take what does not belong to you than to let it lie around neglected.

It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them.

It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.

It is easier to stay out than get out.

It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.

It is not best that we should all think alike; it is a difference of opinion that makes horse races.

It usually takes me more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.

It was wonderful to find America, but it would have been more wonderful to miss it.

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.

It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

Laws control the lesser man... Right conduct controls the greater one.

Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Let us make a special effort to stop communicating with each other, so we can have some conversation.

Let us not be too particular; it is better to have old secondhand diamonds than none at all.

Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen.

Lord save us all from a hope tree that has lost the faculty of putting out blossoms.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it.

Man - a creature made at the end of the week's work when God was tired.

Man is the only animal that blushes - or needs to.

Man was made at the end of the week's work when God was tired.

Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied.

Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.

Martyrdom covers a multitude of sins.

My books are like water; those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.

My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it.

Name the greatest of all inventors. Accident.

Necessity is the mother of taking chances.

Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

No sinner is ever saved after the first twenty minutes of a sermon.

Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.

Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat.

One of the most striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat has only nine lives.

Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we."

Only one thing is impossible for God: To find any sense in any copyright law on the planet.

Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Principles have no real force except when one is well-fed.

Prophesy is a good line of business, but it is full of risks.

Prosperity is the best protector of principle.

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

Repartee is something we think of twenty-four hours too late.

Soap and education are not as sudden as a massacre, but they are more deadly in the long run.

Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.

Such is the human race, often it seems a pity that Noah... didn't miss the boat.

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.

The Christian's Bible is a drug store. Its contents remain the same, but the medical practice changes.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.

The educated Southerner has no use for an 'R', except at the beginning of a word.

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.

The first of April is the day we remember what we are the other 364 days of the year.

The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.

The human race is a race of cowards; and I am not only marching in that procession but carrying a banner.

The lack of money is the root of all evil.

The main difference between a cat and a lie is that a cat only has nine lives.

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.

The man who is a pessimist before 48 knows too much; if he is an optimist after it, he knows too little.

The more things are forbidden, the more popular they become.

The more you explain it, the more I don't understand it.

The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop.

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

The Public is merely a multiplied "me."

The public is the only critic whose opinion is worth anything at all.

The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.

The secret source of humor is not joy but sorrow; there is no humor in Heaven.

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.

The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice.

The wit knows that his place is at the tail of a procession.

There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded.

There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

There are people who can do all fine and heroic things but one - keep from telling their happiness to the unhappy.

There are several good protections against temptation, but the surest is cowardice.

There are times when one would like to hang the whole human race, and finish the farce.

There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.

There is no sadder sight than a young pessimist.

Thousands of geniuses live and die undiscovered - either by themselves or by others.

Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work.

To be good is noble; but to show others how to be good is nobler and no trouble.

To refuse awards is another way of accepting them with more noise than is normal.

To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.

Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing wrong with this, except that it ain't so.

Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.

Truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody.

We Americans... bear the ark of liberties of the world.

We are all alike, on the inside.

We have the best government that money can buy.

What a good thing Adam had. When he said a good thing he knew nobody had said it before.

What a wee little part of a person's life are his acts and his words! His real life is led in his head, and is known to none but himself.

What is the difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector? The taxidermist takes only your skin.

What, sir, would the people of the earth be without woman? They would be scarce, sir, almighty scarce.

When a person cannot deceive himself the chances are against his being able to deceive other people.

When angry, count to four; when very angry, swear.

When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not.

When in doubt tell the truth.

When people do not respect us we are sharply offended; yet in his private heart no man much respects himself.

When red-haired people are above a certain social grade their hair is auburn.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain.

When your friends begin to flatter you on how young you look, it's a sure sign you're getting old.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Why is it that we rejoice at a birth and grieve at a funeral? It is because we are not the person involved.

Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.

Wit is the sudden marriage of ideas which before their union were not perceived to have any relation.

Words are only painted fire; a look is the fire itself.

Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do. Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do.

Work is a necessary evil to be avoided.

Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

images

Biography
Type: Leader
Born: January 15, 1929
Died: April 4, 1968

A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus.

A lie cannot live.

A man can't ride your back unless it's bent.

A man who won't die for something is not fit to live.

A nation or civilization that continues to produce soft-minded men purchases its own spiritual death on the installment plan.

A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.

A right delayed is a right denied.

A riot is the language of the unheard.

All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.

All progress is precarious, and the solution of one problem brings us face to face with another problem.

Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better.

An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.

An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law.

At the center of non-violence stands the principle of love.

Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can't ride you unless your back is bent.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Discrimination is a hellhound that gnaws at Negroes in every waking moment of their lives to remind them that the lie of their inferiority is accepted as truth in the society dominating them.

Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.

Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.

Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.

Have we not come to such an impasse in the modern world that we must love our enemies - or else? The chain reaction of evil - hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars - must be broken, or else we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.

I am not interested in power for power's sake, but I'm interested in power that is moral, that is right and that is good.

I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made straight and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit together at the table of brotherhood.

I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.

I just want to do God's will. And he's allowed me to go to the mountain. And I've looked over, and I've seen the promised land! I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land.

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.

I submit that an individual who breaks the law that conscience tells him is unjust and willingly accepts the penalty by staying in jail to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the very highest respect for law.

I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.

I want to be the white man's brother, not his brother-in-law.

If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.

If physical death is the price that I must pay to free my white brothers and sisters from a permanent death of the spirit, then nothing can be more redemptive.

If we are to go forward, we must go back and rediscover those precious values - that all reality hinges on moral foundations and that all reality has spiritual control.

In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

It is incontestable and deplorable that Negroes have committed crimes; but they are derivative crimes. They are born of the greater crimes of the white society.

It is not enough to say we must not wage war. It is necessary to love peace and sacrifice for it.

It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.

Law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and when they fail in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress.

Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend.

Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.

Means we use must be as pure as the ends we seek.

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.

Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness.

Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals.

Nonviolence means avoiding not only external physical violence but also internal violence of spirit. You not only refuse to shoot a man, but you refuse to hate him.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

One of the greatest casualties of the war in Vietnam is the Great Society... shot down on the battlefield of Vietnam.

One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.

Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal.

Philanthropy is commendable, but it must not cause the philanthropist to overlook the circumstances of economic injustice which make philanthropy necessary.

Pity may represent little more than the impersonal concern which prompts the mailing of a check, but true sympathy is the personal concern which demands the giving of one's soul.

Property is intended to serve life, and no matter how much we surround it with rights and respect, it has no personal being. It is part of the earth man walks on. It is not man.

Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think.

Science investigates religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge which is power religion gives man wisdom which is control.

Seeing is not always believing.

Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will.

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.

That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.

The art of acceptance is the art of making someone who has just done you a small favor wish that he might have done you a greater one.

The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: "If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?" But... the good Samaritan reversed the question: "If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?"

The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.

The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood.

The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict.

The limitation of riots, moral questions aside, is that they cannot win and their participants know it. Hence, rioting is not revolutionary but reactionary because it invites defeat. It involves an emotional catharsis, but it must be followed by a sense of futility.

The means by which we live have outdistanced the ends for which we live. Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.

The moral arc of the universe bends at the elbow of justice.

The Negro needs the white man to free him from his fears. The white man needs the Negro to free him from his guilt.

The past is prophetic in that it asserts loudly that wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows.

The quality, not the longevity, of one's life is what is important.

The question is not whether we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we will be... The nation and the world are in dire need of creative extremists.

The sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality.

The time is always right to do what is right.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.

There can be no deep disappointment where there is not deep love.

There is nothing more tragic than to find an individual bogged down in the length of life, devoid of breadth.

To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.

War is a poor chisel to carve out tomorrow.

Wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows.

We are not makers of history. We are made by history.

We have guided missiles and misguided men.

We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now.

We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.

We must build dikes of courage to hold back the flood of fear.

We must concentrate not merely on the negative expulsion of war but the postive affirmation of peace.

We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.

We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.

We must use time creatively.

We who in engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive.

We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people.

Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality.

Whatever your life's work is, do it well. A man should do his job so well that the living, the dead, and the unborn could do it no better.

When you are right you cannot be too radical; when you are wrong, you cannot be too conservative.

Maya Angelou

images

Biography
Type: Poet
Born: April 4, 1928

Achievement brings its own anticlimax.

All great achievements require time.

All men are prepared to accomplish the incredible if their ideals are threatened.

Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.

As far as I knew white women were never lonely, except in books. White men adored them, Black men desired them and Black women worked for them.

At fifteen life had taught me undeniably that surrender, in its place, was as honorable as resistance, especially if one had no choice.

Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.

Children's talent to endure stems from their ignorance of alternatives.

Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can't practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage.

Effective action is always unjust.

For Africa to me... is more than a glamorous fact. It is a historical truth. No man can know where he is going unless he knows exactly where he has been and exactly how he arrived at his present place.

History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.

How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!

I believe that every person is born with talent.

I believe we are still so innocent. The species are still so innocent that a person who is apt to be murdered believes that the murderer, just before he puts the final wrench on his throat, will have enough compassion to give him one sweet cup of water.

I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver.

I long, as does every human being, to be at home wherever I find myself.

I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.

If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform one million realities.

If we lose love and self respect for each other, this is how we finally die.

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.

If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded.

If you have only one smile in you give it to the people you love.

It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.

Life loves the liver of it.

Life loves to be taken by the lapel and told: "I'm with you kid. Let's go."

Love is like a virus. It can happen to anybody at any time.

Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at it destination full of hope.

Most plain girls are virtuous because of the scarcity of opportunity to be otherwise.

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.

My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return.

My life has been one great big joke, a dance that's walked a song that's spoke, I laugh so hard I almost choke when I think about myself.

My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors.

Nothing will work unless you do.

One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest.

Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.

Prejudice is a burden that confuses the past, threatens the future and renders the present inaccessible.

Self-pity in its early stages is as snug as a feather mattress. Only when it hardens does it become uncomfortable.

Some critics will write 'Maya Angelou is a natural writer' - which is right after being a natural heart surgeon.

The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.

The fact that the adult American Negro female emerges a formidable character is often met with amazement, distaste and even belligerance. It is seldom accepted as an inevitable outcome of the struggle won by survivors, and deserves respect if not enthusiastic acceptance.

The idea is to write it so that people hear it and it slides through the brain and goes straight to the heart.

The need for change bulldozed a road down the center of my mind.

The sadness of the women's movement is that they don't allow the necessity of love. See, I don't personally trust any revolution where love is not allowed.

There is a very fine line between loving life and being greedy for it.

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.

There is nothing so pitiful as a young cynic because he has gone from knowing nothing to believing nothing.

There's a world of difference between truth and facts. Facts can obscure the truth.

We allow our ignorance to prevail upon us and make us think we can survive alone, alone in patches, alone in groups, alone in races, even alone in genders.

We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

While I know myself as a creation of God, I am also obligated to realize and remember that everyone else and everything else are also God's creation.

While the rest of the world has been improving technology, Ghana has been improving the quality of man's humanity to man.

Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with deeper meaning.

Michael Jordan

images

Biography
Type: Athlete
Born: February 17, 1963

Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation.

As athletes, we're used to reacting quickly. Here, it's 'come, stop, come, stop.' There's a lot of downtime. That's the toughest part of the day.

Even when I'm old and grey, I won't be able to play it, but I'll still love the game.

I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.

I never looked at the consequences of missing a big shot... when you think about the consequences you always think of a negative result.

I never thought a role model should be negative.

I play to win, whether during practice or a real game. And I will not let anything get in the way of me and my competitive enthusiasm to win.

I realize that I'm black, but I like to be viewed as a person, and this is everybody's wish.

I'm not out there sweating for three hours every day just to find out what it feels like to sweat.

I've always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

I've never been afraid to fail.

If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome.

If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I've had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.

My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength.

My body could stand the crutches but my mind couldn't stand the sideline.

My heroes are and were my parents. I can't see having anyone else as my heroes.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.

Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

The game is my wife. It demands loyalty and responsibility, and it gives me back fulfillment and peace.

There is no "i" in team but there is in win.

To be successful you have to be selfish, or else you never achieve. And once you get to your highest level, then you have to be unselfish. Stay reachable. Stay in touch. Don't isolate.

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.

Mitch Hedberg

images

A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer.

A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.

All these jokes have been pre-approved as funny by me.

An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.

Bologna is a deli meat for people with eyes.

Do you think I am standing here, making this up as I go? I am sorry to disillusion you. I am not Robin Williams. I am the king of the pen.

Dogs are forever in the push up postion.

Every book is a children's book if the kid can read!

Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'

Fettucini alfredo is macaroni and cheese for adults.

I bought a seven-dollar pen because I always lose pens and I got sick of not caring.

I can whistle with my fingers, especially if I have a whistle.

I don't have a girlfriend. But I do know a woman who'd be mad at me for saying that.

I drank some boiling water because I wanted to whistle.

I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with four or more people.

I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

I like to hold the microphone cord like this, I pinch it together, then I let it go, then you hear a whole bunch of jokes at once.

I like to play blackjack. I'm not addicted to gambling. I'm addicted to sitting in a semi-circle.

I love blackjack. But I'm not addicted to gambling. I'm addicted to sitting in a semi circle.

I once saw a forklift lift a crate of forks. And it was way to literal for me.

I recently took up ice sculpting. Last night I made an ice cube. This morning I made 12, I was prolific.

I remixed a remix, it was back to normal.

I saw a human pyramid once. It was very unnecessary.

I think foosball is a combination of soccer and shish kabobs.

I used to be a hot-tar roofer. Yeah, I remember that... day.

I used to do drugs. I still do drugs. But I used to, too.

I want to get a vending machine, with fun sized candy bars, and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.

I wanted to buy a candle holder, but the store didn't have one. So I got a cake.

I was at this casino minding my own business, and this guy came up to me and said, "You're gonna have to move, you're blocking a fire exit." As though if there was a fire, I wasn't gonna run. If you're flammible and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.

I wear a necklace, cause I wanna know when I'm upside down.

I wish I could play little league now. I'd be way better than before.

I wish my name was Brian because maybe sometimes people would misspell my name and call me Brain. That's like a free compliment and you don't even gotta be smart to notice it.

I would imagine that if you could understand Morse code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy.

I'd like to get four people who do cart wheels very good, and make a cart.

I'm a heroine addict. I need to have sex with women who have saved someone's life.

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

I'm gonna fix that last joke by taking out all the words and adding new ones.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later.

If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be messed-up.

If I had nine of my fingers missing I wouldn't type any slower.

If my kid couldn't draw I'd make sure that my kitchen magnets didn't work.

Is a hippopotamus a hippopotamus, or just a really cool Opotamus?

It's very dangerous to wave to people you don't know because what if they don't have hands? They'll think you're cocky.

It's weird... people say they're not like apes. Now how do you explain football then?

My belt holds my pants up, but the belt loops hold my belt up. I don't really know what's happening down there. Who is the real hero?

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said 'No, but I want a regular banana later, so... yeah.'

My sister wanted to be an actress, but she never made it. She does live in a trailer. She got halfway. She's an actress, she just never gets called to the set.

People teach their dogs to sit; it's a trick. I've been sitting my whole life, and a dog has never looked at me as though he thought I was tricky.

Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.

Spaghetti... I can't eat spaghetti, there's too many of them. No matter how hungry I am, 1000 of something is too many. I'll have 1000 pieces of noodles.

The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall.

This shirt is dry clean only. Which means... it's dirty.

Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy, all day. Wearing a backpack and a turtleneck is like a weak midget trying to bring you down.

When someone hands you a flyer, it's like they're saying here you throw this away.

Why is Cloud 9 so amazing? What is wrong with Cloud 8? That joke came off the top of my head, and the top of my head ain't funny!

Y'know, you can't please all the people all the time... and last night, all those people were at my show.

You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something.

Mohandas Gandhi

images

Biography
Nationality: Indian
Born: October 2, 1869
Died: January 30, 1948

A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.

A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.

A man is but the product of his thoughts what he thinks, he becomes.

A man who was completely innocent, offered himself as a sacrifice for the good of others, including his enemies, and became the ransom of the world. It was a perfect act.

A nation's culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its people.

A policy is a temporary creed liable to be changed, but while it holds good it has got to be pursued with apostolic zeal.

A principle is the expression of perfection, and as imperfect beings like us cannot practise perfection, we devise every moment limits of its compromise in practice.

A religion that takes no account of practical affairs and does not help to solve them is no religion.

A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.

A vow is a purely religious act which cannot be taken in a fit of passion. It can be taken only with a mind purified and composed and with God as witness.

A weak man is just by accident. A strong but non-violent man is unjust by accident.

Action expresses priorities.

Action is no less necessary than thought to the instinctive tendencies of the human frame.

All compromise is based on give and take, but there can be no give and take on fundamentals. Any compromise on mere fundamentals is a surrender. For it is all give and no take.

All the religions of the world, while they may differ in other respects, unitedly proclaim that nothing lives in this world but Truth.

Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed. Always aim at purifying your thoughts and everything will be well.

Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest.

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching.

An unjust law is itself a species of violence. Arrest for its breach is more so.

Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.

Anger is the enemy of non-violence and pride is a monster that swallows it up.

Are creeds such simple things like the clothes which a man can change at will and put on at will? Creeds are such for which people live for ages and ages.

As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world - that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves.

Before the throne of the Almighty, man will be judged not by his acts but by his intentions. For God alone reads our hearts.

But for my faith in God, I should have been a raving maniac.

Capital as such is not evil; it is its wrong use that is evil. Capital in some form or other will always be needed.

Commonsense is the realised sense of proportion.

Confession of errors is like a broom which sweeps away the dirt and leaves the surface brighter and clearer. I feel stronger for confession.

Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position.

Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart.

Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances.

Each one prays to God according to his own light.

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.

Everyone who wills can hear the inner voice. It is within everyone.

Faith is not something to grasp, it is a state to grow into.

Faith... must be enforced by reason... when faith becomes blind it dies.

Fear has its use but cowardice has none.

Fear of death makes us devoid both of valour and religion. For want of valour is want of religious faith.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

For me every ruler is alien that defies public opinion.

Freedom is never dear at any price. It is the breath of life. What would a man not pay for living?

Freedom is not worth having if it does not connote freedom to err.

Gentleness, self-sacrifice and generosity are the exclusive possession of no one race or religion.

Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it.

God is, even though the whole world deny him. Truth stands, even if there be no public support. It is self-sustained.

God sometimes does try to the uttermost those whom he wishes to bless.

God, as Truth, has been for me a treasure beyond price. May He be so to every one of us.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Healthy discontent is the prelude to progress.

Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress.

I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill.

I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers.

I believe in the fundamental truth of all great religions of the world.

I believe that a man is the strongest soldier for daring to die unarmed.

I claim that human mind or human society is not divided into watertight compartments called social, political and religious. All act and react upon one another.

I claim to be a simple individual liable to err like any other fellow mortal. I own, however, that I have humility enough to confess my errors and to retrace my steps.

I do all the evil I can before I learn to shun it? Is it not enough to know the evil to shun it? If not, we should be sincere enough to admit that we love evil too well to give it up.

I do not want to foresee the future. I am concerned with taking care of the present. God has given me no control over the moment following.

I have also seen children successfully surmounting the effects of an evil inheritance. That is due to purity being an inherent attribute of the soul.

I have nothing new to teach the world. Truth and Non-violence are as old as the hills. All I have done is to try experiments in both on as vast a scale as I could.

I have worshipped woman as the living embodiment of the spirit of service and sacrifice.

I know, to banish anger altogether from one's breast is a difficult task. It cannot be achieved through pure personal effort. It can be done only by God's grace.

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

I look only to the good qualities of men. Not being faultless myself, I won't presume to probe into the faults of others.

I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

I reject any religious doctrine that does not appeal to reason and is in conflict with morality.

I suppose leadership at one time meant muscles; but today it means getting along with people.

I will far rather see the race of man extinct than that we should become less than beasts by making the noblest of God's creation, woman, the object of our lust.

I would heartily welcome the union of East and West provided it is not based on brute force.

If co-operation is a duty, I hold that non-co-operation also under certain conditions is equally a duty.

If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.

If patience is worth anything, it must endure to the end of time. And a living faith will last in the midst of the blackest storm.

If we are to teach real peace in this world, and if we are to carry on a real war against war, we shall have to begin with the children.

Imitation is the sincerest flattery.

In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place.

In prayer it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart.

Increase of material comforts, it may be generally laid down, does not in any way whatsoever conduce to moral growth.

Infinite striving to be the best is man's duty; it is its own reward. Everything else is in God's hands.

Interdependence is and ought to be as much the ideal of man as self-sufficiency. Man is a social being.

Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause.

Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit.

Is it not enough to know the evil to shun it? If not, we should be sincere enough to admit that we love evil too well to give it up.

It has always been a mystery to me how men can feel themselves honoured by the humiliation of their fellow beings.

It is any day better to stand erect with a broken and bandaged head then to crawl on one's belly, in order to be able to save one's head.

It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

It is easy enough to be friendly to one's friends. But to befriend the one who regards himself as your enemy is the quintessence of true religion. The other is mere business.

It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.

It is my own firm belief that the strength of the soul grows in proportion as you subdue the flesh.

It is the quality of our work which will please God and not the quantity.

It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.

Just as a man would not cherish living in a body other than his own, so do nations not like to live under other nations, however noble and great the latter may be.

Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment.

Let everyone try and find that as a result of daily prayer he adds something new to his life, something with which nothing can be compared.

Let us all be brave enough to die the death of a martyr, but let no one lust for martyrdom.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Man becomes great exactly in the degree in which he works for the welfare of his fellow-men.

Man can never be a woman's equal in the spirit of selfless service with which nature has endowed her.

Man falls from the pursuit of the ideal of plan living and high thinking the moment he wants to multiply his daily wants. Man's happiness really lies in contentment.

Man lives freely only by his readiness to die, if need be, at the hands of his brother, never by killing him.

Man should forget his anger before he lies down to sleep.

Man's nature is not essentially evil. Brute nature has been know to yield to the influence of love. You must never despair of human nature.

Measures must always in a progressive society be held superior to men, who are after all imperfect instruments, working for their fulfilment.

Moral authority is never retained by any attempt to hold on to it. It comes without seeking and is retained without effort.

Morality is contraband in war.

Morality is the basis of things and truth is the substance of all morality.

Morality which depends upon the helplessness of a man or woman has not much to recommend it. Morality is rooted in the purity of our hearts.

My life is my message.

My religion is based on truth and non-violence. Truth is my God. Non-violence is the means of realising Him.

Nearly everything you do is of no importance, but it is important that you do it.

No culture can live if it attempts to be exclusive.

Nobody can hurt me without my permission.

Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as is cooperation with good.

Non-violence and truth are inseparable and presuppose one another.

Non-violence is not a garment to be put on and off at will. Its seat is in the heart, and it must be an inseparable part of our being.

Non-violence is the article of faith.

Non-violence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man.

Non-violence requires a double faith, faith in God and also faith in man.

Non-violence, which is the quality of the heart, cannot come by an appeal to the brain.

Nonviolence is the first article of my faith. It is also the last article of my creed.

One's own religion is after all a matter between oneself and one's Maker and no one else's.

Only he can take great resolves who has indomitable faith in God and has fear of God.

Peace is its own reward.

Poverty is the worst form of violence.

Power is of two kinds. One is obtained by the fear of punishment and the other by acts of love. Power based on love is a thousand times more effective and permanent then the one derived from fear of punishment.

Prayer is a confession of one's own unworthiness and weakness.

Prayer is not an old woman's idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action.

Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul. It is daily admission of one's weakness. It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart.

Prayer is the key of the morning and the bolt of the evening.

Providence has its appointed hour for everything. We cannot command results, we can only strive.

Purity of personal life is the one indispensable condition for building up a sound education.

Religion is a matter of the heart. No physical inconvenience can warrant abandonment of one's own religion.

Religion is more than life. Remember that his own religion is the truest to every man even if it stands low in the scales of philosophical comparison.

Rights that do not flow from duty well performed are not worth having.

Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory.

Self-respect knows no considerations.

Service which is rendered without joy helps neither the servant nor the served. But all other pleasures and possessions pale into nothingness before service which is rendered in a spirit of joy.

Spiritual relationship is far more precious than physical. Physical relationship divorced from spiritual is body without soul.

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

That service is the noblest which is rendered for its own sake.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.

The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problem.

The essence of all religions is one. Only their approaches are different.

The good man is the friend of all living things.

The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

The human voice can never reach the distance that is covered by the still small voice of conscience.

The law of sacrifice is uniform throughout the world. To be effective it demands the sacrifice of the bravest and the most spotless.

The main purpose of life is to live rightly, think rightly, act rightly. The soul must languish when we give all our thought to the body.

The moment there is suspicion about a person's motives, everything he does becomes tainted.

The only tyrant I accept in this world is the still voice within.

The pursuit of truth does not permit violence on one's opponent.

The real ornament of woman is her character, her purity.

The spirit of democracy is not a mechanical thing to be adjusted by abolition of forms. It requires change of heart.

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.

There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.

There is a higher court than courts of justice and that is the court of conscience. It supercedes all other courts.

There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed.

There is an orderliness in the universe, there is an unalterable law governing everything and every being that exists or lives. It is no blind law; for no blind law can govern the conduct of living beings.

There is more to life than increasing its speed.

There is no principle worth the name if it is not wholly good.

There is nothing that wastes the body like worry, and one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever.

Those who know how to think need no teachers.

Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is.

Though we may know Him by a thousand names, He is one and the same to us all.

To believe in something, and not to live it, is dishonest.

To deprive a man of his natural liberty and to deny to him the ordinary amenities of life is worse then starving the body; it is starvation of the soul, the dweller in the body.

To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.

Truth is by nature self-evident. As soon as you remove the cobwebs of ignorance that surround it, it shines clear.

Truth never damages a cause that is just.

Truth stands, even if there be no public support. It is self-sustained.

Unwearied ceaseless effort is the price that must be paid for turning faith into a rich infallible experience.

Violent means will give violent freedom. That would be a menace to the world and to India herself.

Violent men have not been known in history to die to a man. They die up to a point.

We do not need to proselytise either by our speech or by our writing. We can only do so really with our lives. Let our lives be open books for all to study.

We may have our private opinions but why should they be a bar to the meeting of hearts?

We may never be strong enough to be entirely nonviolent in thought, word and deed. But we must keep nonviolence as our goal and make strong progress towards it.

We should meet abuse by forbearance. Human nature is so constituted that if we take absolutely no notice of anger or abuse, the person indulging in it will soon weary of it and stop.

We win justice quickest by rendering justice to the other party.

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

What do I think of Western civilization? I think it would be a very good idea.

What is true of the individual will be tomorrow true of the whole nation if individuals will but refuse to lose heart and hope.

Whatever you do may seem insignificant to you, but it is most important that you do it.

When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator.

When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible.

Where love is, there God is also.

Where there is love there is life.

You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mother Teresa

images

Biography
Born: August 26, 1910
Died: September 5, 1997

Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.

Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.

Each one of them is Jesus in disguise.

Even the rich are hungry for love, for being cared for, for being wanted, for having someone to call their own.

I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

I try to give to the poor people for love what the rich could get for money. No, I wouldn't touch a leper for a thousand pounds; yet I willingly cure him for the love of God.

I want you to be concerned about your next door neighbor. Do you know your next door neighbor?

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.

If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.

If you want a love message to be heard, it has got to be sent out. To keep a lamp burning, we have to keep putting oil in it.

Intense love does not measure, it just gives.

Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls.

Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love.

Let us more and more insist on raising funds of love, of kindness, of understanding, of peace. Money will come if we seek first the Kingdom of God - the rest will be given.

Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go.

Let us touch the dying, the poor, the lonely and the unwanted according to the graces we have received and let us not be ashamed or slow to do the humble work.

Loneliness and the feeling of being unwanted is the most terrible poverty.

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action.

Love begins by taking care of the closest ones - the ones at home.

Love is a fruit in season at all times, and within reach of every hand.

Many people mistake our work for our vocation. Our vocation is the love of Jesus.

One of the greatest diseases is to be nobody to anybody.

Our life of poverty is as necessary as the work itself. Only in heaven will we see how much we owe to the poor for helping us to love God better because of them.

Peace begins with a smile.

Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.

The biggest disease today is not leprosy or tuberculosis, but rather the feeling of being unwanted.

The greatest destroyer of peace is abortion because if a mother can kill her own child, what is left for me to kill you and you to kill me? There is nothing between.

The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread.

The miracle is not that we do this work, but that we are happy to do it.

There is always the danger that we may just do the work for the sake of the work. This is where the respect and the love and the devotion come in - that we do it to God, to Christ, and that's why we try to do it as beautifully as possible.

There must be a reason why some people can afford to live well. They must have worked for it. I only feel angry when I see waste. When I see people throwing away things that we could use.

We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls.

We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.

We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do.

We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty.

Words which do not give the light of Christ increase the darkness.

Back
Top Bottom