Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

God's Message For You Today

May you be guided by His directions this Friday!

1 July
Friday

Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

OMG!

Whoever is without love does not know God, for God is love. – 1 John 4:7

Two years ago, I went on a short trip to the US. I met with a very special man — a spiritual mentor to presidents, kings, prime ministers and other leaders. Each month, this spiritual giant holds 30 plus face-to-face meetings with high-level officials, guiding them how to lead their country using the Bible. For three days, I sat around his table (we were just four students) to learn one thing: how to disciple heads of states. It was mind-blowing.
So on my way home, I felt very important, too. But the moment my plane landed in Manila, everything became clear to me. I knew the first Heads of States I would meet. Upon arriving from the airport, I spent time with the two Kings who’ve conquered my heart since I saw them: my two boys. Together, we did very high-level, critical, world-changing, life-altering work. We drew robots and airplanes, played with little cars and video games (I lost, as usual).
Why did I spend the entire day with them? Because before I’m a preacher, writer, leader and businessman, I’m first a father.
So it is with God. Before He is supreme judge and King of the universe, He’s a Father.Your Father and mine!Bo Sanchez (bosanchez@ kerygmafamily.com)

REFLECTION:
God wants to be Your Father. Will you allow Him to?

God, our Father, help me to see You as You want me to — a Father who loves me through and through.

--------------

1st READING

To be chosen by God is a great privilege and something St. John says we should always give thanks for. This covenant that God has made with us in the blood of Jesus is far greater than the one made through Moses and is renewed each time we celebrate the Holy Mass. Today, let us renew our love for God and consecrate ourselves through the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Deuteronomy 7:6-11
6 Moses said to the people: “You are a people sacred to the LORD, your God; he has chosen you from all the nations on the face of the earth to be a people peculiarly his own. 7 It was not because you are the largest of all nations that the LORD set his heart on you and chose you, for you are really the smallest of all nations. 8 It was because the LORD loved you and because of his fidelity to the oath he had sworn to your fathers, that he brought you out with his strong hand from the place of slavery, and ransomed you from the hand of Pharaoh, king of Egypt. 9 Understand, then, that the LORD, your God, is God indeed, the faithful God who keeps his merciful covenant down to the thousandth generation toward those who love him and keep his commandments, 10 but who repays with destruction the person who hates him; he does not dally with such a one, but makes him personally pay for it. 11 You shall therefore carefully observe the commandments, the statutes and the decrees which I enjoin on you today.”

P S A L M

Psalms 103:1-2, 3-4, 6-7, 8, 10
R: The Lord’s kindness is everlasting to those who fear him.
1 Bless the LORD, O my soul; and all my being, bless his holy name. 2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits. (R) 3 He pardons all your iniquities, he heals all your ills. 4 He redeems your life from destruction, he crowns you with kindness and compassion. (R) 6 The LORD secures justice and the rights of all the oppressed. 7 He has made known his ways to Moses, and his deeds to the children of Israel. (R) 8 Merciful and gracious is the LORD, slow to anger and abounding in kindness. 10 Not according to our sins does he deal with us, nor does he requite us according to our crimes. (R)

2nd READING

Pope Benedict XVI’s first encyclical was concerning love. It was to be the theme of his Pontificate. If we are to be truly children of God, we must, like God, be bearers of love.

1 John 4:7-16
7 Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. 8 Whoever is without love does not know God, for God is love. 9 In this way the love of God was revealed to us: God sent his only Son into the world so that we might have life through him. 10 In this is love: not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as expiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also must love one another. 12 No ne has ever seen God. Yet, if we love one another, God remains in us, and his love is brought to perfection in us. 13 This is how we know that we remain in him and he in us, that he has given us of his Spirit. 14 Moreover, we have seen and testify that the Father sent his Son as savior of the world. 15 Whoever acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God remains in him and he in God. 16 We have come to know and to believe in the love God has for us. God is love, and whoever remains in love remains in God and God in him.

G O S P E L

Who knows the Father? Only the Son. If we are to come to know the wonderful love of God our Father, we need to meditate on the life of Jesus, as it is in all that He said and did that He most fully reveals to us the Father’s love. The Sacred Heart of Jesus is really the heart of God our Father revealed to us in His son.

ALLELUIA
R: Alleluia, alleluia
Take my yoke upon you, says the Lord; and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart.

Matthew 11:25-30
25 At that time Jesus exclaimed: “I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to little ones. 26 Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will. 27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him. 28 Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

my reflections
t h i n k : T he Sacred Heart of Jesus is really the heart of God our Father revealed to us in His son.

-------------

A Heart Bursting with Love

Studies for the priesthood traditionally begin with a college course in Classical Philosophy. This is because many of the terminologies and concepts used by the Church to express its doctrines, dogmas and moral teachings are based on the distinctions made by Plato and Aristotle as interpreted in the Christian sense by St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas. A branch of Classical Philosophy that deals with the philosophical principles on God is called “Theodicy.” We had a wonderful time discoursing on this subject with our professor, Fr. Josefino J. Javellana, SSP. We marveled as we tried to understand the various aspects of God’s transcendent and powerful nature. He is more than the sum total of all possible human perfections!
The Sacred Scriptures and Theology, however, reveal to us a completely different nature of God, all due to the ministry of Jesus who, though truly God as the Father, came and lived as one who is also 100 percent human. Though powerful and majestic, God is love. From Jesus in the course of His three-year earthly ministry, the Gospel of Mark quotes these words: “My heart is moved with pity for the crowd.” The feast and devotion to the Sacred Heart expresses the biblical revelation that God is love. The images and pictures of Jesus holding out or pointing to His wounded heart simply serve to illustrate the great mystery on the Cross. Scholars say that the flowing out of blood, then water, from the pierced side of Jesus are indicative of a ruptured heart. The pain and the anxiety that Jesus bore out of love for us on the Cross made His heart burst.
As we celebrate today the Solemn Feast of the Sacred Heart, be embraced by God’s overflowing love. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Is my heart bursting with love for God and for others?

“O Jesus, Divine Master, I thank and bless Your most meek heart which led You to give Your life for me. Your blood, Your wounds, the scourges, the thorns, the cross, Your bowed head tell my heart: ‘No one loves more than He who gives His life for the loved ones.’ The Shepherd died to give life to the sheep. I, too, want to live my life for You. Grant that You may always, everywhere and in all things, dispose of me for Your greater glory. May I always repeat: ‘Your will be done.’ Inflame my heart with holy love for You and for souls.”

St. Gall, pray for us.

Be inspired with His message to you this Saturday!

July
Saturday

Memorial of Immaculate Heart of Mary

Mommy and Yanthy Moments

And his mother kept all these things in her heart. – Luke 2:51

Two years have passed since I got pregnant and left my full-time job. My son is now more than a year old, but I continue to be a stay-at-home mom.
God has given me so much reason for rejoicing in giving me this child. He has doubled my joy by enabling me to witness his milestones firsthand. Moreover, God has gifted me with many memorable moments with Yanthy.
I remember when he was just 13 months old and could barely reach our dining table. He’d rush to help me set the table by getting the placemats one by one. Then, he’d tiptoe to put the placemats on top of the table. One time also when I had a fever and was wrapped in a blanket, Yanthy walked up to me and gave his sweater. What a helpful and sweet little boy! These are just a few of my treasured moments with my son.
Like Mary, I cherish and keep these moments in my heart. I thank God for this special privilege of being a mom and for the many lessons I learn as I raise my son. Teresa Gumap-as Dumadag ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
What personal experiences do I keep in my heart? What is God teaching me through them?

Lord, help me to be sensitive to Your voice as You speak through my daily experiences.

-----------------

1st READING
As we celebrate the Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, we are reminded of her purity and holiness. This purity is something we must all strive to imitate. We live in a world that has lost its sense of modesty and purity and thus it can be difficult to capture a vision for it in our personal lives. Yet the Gospel demands that we live with both a pure mind and a pure heart. Let us ask Mary to intercede for us.

Isaiah 61:9-11
9 Thus says the LORD: Their descendants shall be renowned among the nations, and their offspring among the peoples; all who see them shall acknowledge them as a race the LORD has blessed. 10 I rejoice heartily in the LORD, in my God is the joy of my soul; for he has clothed me with a robe of salvation, and wrapped me in a mantle of justice, like a bridegroom adorned with a diadem, like a bride bedecked with her jewels. 11 As the earth brings forth its plants, and a garden makes its growth spring up, so will the Lord GOD make justice and praise spring up before all the nations.

P S A L M

Psalms 113:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8
R: Blessed be the name of the Lord for ever.
1 Praise, you servants of the LORD, praise the name of the LORD. 2 Blessed be the name of the LORD both now and forever. (R) 3 From the rising to the setting of the sun is the name of the LORD to be praised. 4 High above all nations is the LORD; above the heavens is his glory. (R) 5 Who is like the LORD, our God, who is enthroned on high 6 and looks upon the heavens and the earth below? (R) 7 He raises up the lowly from the dust; from the dunghill he lifts up the poor 8 to seat them with princes, with the princes of his own people. (R)

G O S P E L

Mary was chosen by God to be the Mother of His Son, Jesus. He chooses each of us to be His disciple as well. Let us listen closely to His Word and guidance so that we can respond to His call as quickly as possible. It is in obedience to God’s will that we will discover the fullness of life and be satisfied in all things.

ALLELUIA VERSE AND VERSE BEFORE THE GOSPEL
Blessed is the Virgin Mary who kept the Word of God and pondered it in her heart.

Luke 2:41-51
41 Each year Jesus’ parents went to Jerusalem for the feast of Passover, 42 and when he was twelve years old, they went up according to festival custom. 43 After they had completed its days, as they were returning, the boy Jesus remained behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it. 44 Thinking that he was in the caravan, they journeyed for a day and looked for him among their relatives and acquaintances, 45 but not finding him, they returned to Jerusalem to look for him. 46 After three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions, 47 and all who heard him were astounded at his understanding and his answers. 48 When his parents saw him, they were astonished, and his mother said to him, “Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety.” 49 And he said to them, “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?” 50 But they did not understand what he said to them. 51 He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart. 52 And Jesus advanced in wisdom and age and favor before God and man.

my reflections
think: It is in obedience to God’s will that we will discover the fullness of life and be satisfied in all things.

---------

God Looks For Worthy Vessels of his Graces

Does God approve cheating? This is a simple question that many ask upon hearing today’s first reading which describes how Jacob, the younger son, managed to snatch Isaac’s fatherly blessing of the firstborn from Esau. All these happened with the manipulation of Rebecca, the mother whose favorite was Jacob.
Jesus’ wisdom teaching from the Gospel gives the answer. The issue is not just about cheating. Blessings are like good wine that need a good container so they are not wasted. God allowed the sad situation to befall Esau, the firstborn son of Isaac, because Esau was careless with his birthright. The rugged hunter that he was, Esau only cared about the present. In fact, in an earlier event (cf. Genesis 25:27- 34), Esau readily sold his rights to Jacob in exchange for a bowl of soup. Though he was the biological firstborn, Esau was irresponsible and did not appreciate the uniqueness of his person.
Today’s Bible message makes me think deeply, then, about our efforts to help alleviate the plight of the poor and the needy. We feel good whenever we are able to reach out to them with some gifts and dole outs for Christmas and for other occasions. The Spirit of God reminds us now: Let us rebuild first the receptacle of God’s grace — that is, the human person with his ideas, ideals, values and beliefs. Let us first make each person confident in his own uniqueness, purpose and God-given abilities to do good. Let us cultivate true faith, authentic joy and spiritual discipline in persons. Only then will blessings become fruitful in them. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Examine your own life journey. How did God mold you to be the container and channel of His blessings that you are now?

Lord, use me as a worthy vessel of Your blessings and graces, not only for me but for others as well. Amen.

St. Acestes, pray for us.

Thank God for your loved ones this Sunday.

July
Sunday

BURDEN BEARER

“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.” – Matthew 11:28

I felt desperate. My brother had just called me in the middle of the night. He was on his way to Cebu from Bohol and he sounded depressed and confused, so unlike himself. Then it came to me in a panic, “What if he decides to jump off the ship? What if I’ll never see my only brother again?”
Helpless, I prayed hard. “Please, Lord, keep my brother safe. Don’t let anything happen to him.” In the midst of my fears, I happened to read Isaiah 43:2, “When you pass through the water, I will be with you; in the rivers you shall not drown.” I suddenly felt at peace.
Nothing happened to my brother and we were able to overcome that time of trial. I was not very far into the renewal then. Today, the Lord continues to talk to me when I’m uncertain, and comfort me when I’m down. He continues to be my Burden Bearer.
They say that Christianity is about a Person — Jesus. It is a great relief for me that Jesus is who He is — someone who accompanies me through the trials, temptations and challenges of life. What more could we want from our God? Joy Sosoban ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
If God is for us, who can be against us? (Romans 8:31)

Jesus, my Burden Bearer and Comforter, thank You! Let me always run to You.
----------

1st READING
The prophet Zechariah invites us to rejoice in joyful expectation of the coming of the Messiah, Jesus, who comes to overcome the power of sin. Joy is always the sign of faith and confidence in God’s loving help.

Zechariah 9:9-10
9 Thus says the LORD: Rejoice heartily, O daughter Zion, shout for joy, O daughter Jerusalem! See, your king shall come to you; a just savior is he, meek, and riding on an ass, on a colt, the foal of an ass. 10 He shall banish the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem; the warrior’s bow shall be banished, and he shall proclaim peace to the nations. His dominion shall be from sea to sea, and from the River to the ends of the earth.

P S A L M
Psalms 145:1-2, 8-9, 10-11, 13-14
R: I will praise your name forever, my king and my God.
1 I will extol you, O my God and King, and I will bless your name forever and ever. 2 Every day will I bless you, and I will praise your name forever and ever. (R) 8 The LORD is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and of great kindness. 9 The LORD is good to all and compassionate toward all his works. (R) 10 Let all your works give you thanks, O LORD, and let your faithful ones bless you. 11 Let them discourse of the glory of your kingdom and speak of your might. (R) 13 The LORD is faithful in all his words and holy in all his works. 14 The LORD lifts up all who are falling and raises up all who are bowed down. (R)

2nd READING

The Apostle Paul reminds the Christians in Rome that the same Spirit that raised up Jesus from the dead dwells in them. Since we have this wonderful gift and power dwelling in us, let us take hold of all He offers us and not let our lives be dominated by our sinful desires.

Romans 8:9, 11-13
9 Brothers and sisters: You are not in the flesh; on the contrary, you are in the spirit, if only the Spirit of God dwells in you. Whoever does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. 11 If the Spirit of the one who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, the one who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also, through his Spirit that dwells in you. 12 Consequently, brothers, we are not debtors to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die, but if by the spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

G O S P E L

Jesus invites us, His disciples, to come to Him because He wants to give us His comfort, peace and rest. How much of our lives are under the control of compulsions that drive us relentlessly? The Gospel’s call today is for us to come and allow Jesus to order our lives so that we will dwell in Him and in His peace.

ALLELUIA
Blessed are you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth; you have revealed to little ones the mysteries of the kingdom.

Matthew 11:25-30
25 At that time Jesus exclaimed, “I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike. 26 Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will. 27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him. 28 Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

my reflections
t h i n k : How much of our lives are under the control of compulsions that drive us relentlessly?

---------

Jesus Lightens Our Burden by sharing our load

One obstacle for persons trying to deepen their relationship with God is not sin but problems. We tend to think that since we have finally come to God, He owes it to us to make our lives happy and comfortable.
Of course, the sources of our problems are manifold. There are problems that we bring upon ourselves through our sinful ways and wrong choices. There are problems brought about by others’ envy, jealousy and selfish schemes. There are problems that are a consequence of social evils like corruption and unjust structures of business and politics. There are also problems that we encounter as part of our ongoing spiritual warfare, such as diabolical obsessions (mental harassments), diabolical infestations (undue fears and phobias), diabolical harassment (unexplained physical pains and illnesses). There are burdens that God allows to try and temper us. In the face of these possible root causes of problems, we always have to seek God’s wisdom and enlightenment.
Our Gospel today reveals one of Jesus’ intimate moments with the Father. We realize that it is not God’s way to exempt us from pains and sorrows. God’s way is to empower and equip us with His love and graces so that we may experience God as someone greater than our burdens. God’s way is to accompany us, to walk with us. This is Jesus’ mission as God’s Word Incarnate.
I was given a unique grace to understand the message of today’s Gospel when, in the course of my pilgrimage in Northern Italy, our group visited the birthplace of the Servant of God Thecla Merlo, cofoundress of the Daughters of St. Paul. Inside the chapel at the basement of her parents’ house stands a wooden altar with columns that beautifully feature a double yoke used to fasten oxen to oxcarts or plows. Two oxen under the double yoke would share the work to be done. This is what Jesus meant: The yoke is easy because He walks parallel to us, like a second oxen sharing the workload.Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
What great burden have you carried lately? How did you manage to go through the experience? What made your burden seem lighter?

Lord, help me to trust in the truth that You are there to walk with me in all my trials and difficulties. Amen.

St. Bladus, pray for us.

Be God's blessing to the world this Monday!

July
Monday

LIFE-GIVING TOUCH

“My daughter has just died; but come and place your hands on her, and she will live.”– Matthew 9:18

While on the road, I would often see a man walking aimlessly on the street, covered in dirt and grime, talking to himself. We refer to the likes of them as “taong grasa” (greasy man) and people who are in clean clothes would often walk away from them in fear or disgust. Who would dare touch them, when we often avoid their gaze?
Many more people in the world feel like they are garbage because no one is brave enough to touch them. They do not receive the healing love that comes from a simple pat on the back, a power hug, a back rub to let them know they are not alone and that someone cares. Studies show that we need at least four hugs a day in order to survive. No wonder many walk like they are already dead. How blessed are we when we receive hugs from our family and friends, the same healing touch that is able to bring the dead to life.
Like Jesus, we can heal others by acknowledging people’s presence and touching them. We need to express our love for the broken and the wounded with our healing embrace. Marjorie Duterte ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Who can I touch today and bring to wholeness?

Jesus, let me be Your healing hands today. Help me to be brave enough to give Your life-giving touch.

------------

1st READING

Jacob was called on a journey of faith with God, just as we are. If we are to be disciples of Jesus, we must make Him first in our lives and allow Him to direct our steps. If we make the choice as Jacob did, God will reward us beyond our richest imagination.

Genesis 28:10-22
10 Jacob departed from Beer-sheba and proceeded toward Haran. 11 When he came upon a certain shrine, as the sun had already set, he stopped there for the night. Taking one of the stones at the shrine, he put it under his head and lay down to sleep at that spot. 12 Then he had a dream: a stairway rested on the ground, with its top reaching to the heavens; and God’s messengers were going up and down on it. 13 And there was the LORD standing beside him and saying: “I, the LORD, am the God of your forefather Abraham and the God of Isaac; the land on which you are lying I will give to you and your descendants. 14 These shall be as plentiful as the dust of the earth, and through them you shall spread out east and west, north and south. In you and your descendants all the nations of the earth shall find blessing. 15 Know that I am with you; I will protect you wherever you go, and bring you back to this land. I will never leave you until I have done what I promised you.” 16 When Jacob awoke from his sleep, he exclaimed, “Truly, the LORD is in this spot, although I did not know it!” 17 In solemn wonder he cried out: “How awesome is this shrine! This is nothing else but an abode of God, and that is the gateway to heaven!” 18 Early the next morning Jacob took the stone that he had put under his head, set it up as a memorial stone, and poured oil on top of it. 19 He called that site Bethel, whereas the former name of the town had been Luz. 20 Jacob then made this vow: “If God remains with me, to protect me on this journey I am making and to give me enough bread to eat and clothing to wear, 21 and I come back safe to my father’s house, the LORD shall be my God. 22 This stone that I have set up as a memorial stone shall be God’s abode.”

P S A L M
Psalms 91:1-2, 3-4, 14-15
R: In you, my God, I place my trust.
1 You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty, 2 Say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” (R) 3 For he will rescue you from the snare of the fowler, from the destroying pestilence. 4 With his pinions he will cover you, and under his wings you shall take refuge. (R) 14 Because he clings to me, I will deliver him; I will set him on high because he acknowledges my name. 15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in distress. (R)

G O S P E L

Although Jesus has been called to go to a prominent person’s house to raise up a daughter who has died, He allows Himself to be interrupted by an unclean woman. To Jesus, all men and women are of equal value, so He stops and ministers to this woman’s deep needs before proceeding to the ruler’s house.

ALLELUIA
Our Savior Jesus Christ has destroyed death and brought life to light through the Gospel.

Matthew 9:18-26
18 While Jesus was speaking, an official came forward, knelt down before him, and said, “My daughter has just died. But come, lay your hand on her, and she will live.” 19 Jesus rose and followed him, and so did his disciples. 20 A woman suffering hemorrhages for twelve years came up behind him and touched the tassel on his cloak. 21 She said to herself, “If only I can touch his cloak, I shall be cured.” 22 Jesus turned around and saw her, and said, “Courage, daughter! Your faith has saved you.” And from that hour the woman was cured. 23 When Jesus arrived at the official’s house and saw the flute players and the crowd who were making a commotion, 24 he said, “Go away! The girl is not dead but sleeping.” And they ridiculed him. 25 When the crowd was put out, he came and took her by the hand, and the little girl arose. 26 And news of this spread throughout all that land.

my reflections
t h i n k : I f we make the choice as Jacob did, God will reward us beyond our richest imagination.

-------------

The Healing Power of Touch

My father, two younger sisters and I went through trying times for three months in 2010. My 68-year-old mother who was frail and sickly from over 20 years of complications with diabetes, fell 15 steps down the wooden staircase of our apartment in Paco. It was God’s grace that she survived the fall without any crack in her cranium or any serious bone injury. She, however, sustained a deep cut which needed to be sutured by a neurosurgeon. Her recovery from the cut also necessitated bed rest of around a week-and-a-half in the hospital where she caught pneumonia. This second illness proved to be more problematic for us. We had to take her in and out of the hospital twice, since she had difficulty breathing and eating. Later, she was allowed to go home with her NGT (nasogastric intubation) and my youngest sister had to patiently attend to her. My mother needed 24- hour nursing care and my sister would feed her through her nose tube every four hours.
There were times when all we could do was hope and pray. Seeing my mother suffer was hard. The anxiety of figuring out where to get money to settle hospital bills, doctors’ fees and buy medical supplies made things even harder. I would try to visit my mother more often, as much as my schedule would allow. I would pray and anoint her.
There was one thing I discovered in the course of my stay with her, first in the hospital, then at home. Mama loved to touch me and my sisters. Her face would light up every time I entered her room. She seemed to draw strength and inspiration for her healing and recovery by touching us, her family. I would touch and kiss her, too.
Today’s Good News features the healing power of touch. The woman who had been sick for 12 years had just one prayer: “If only I touch His cloak, I will get well.” She touched — and she was indeed healed. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Are you generous with your loving touch and with your healing presence to family members who are sick or old? Pray for healing as you touch the sick and the elderly. Ask Jesus to use your hands as channels of His blessings.

Lord Jesus, make me a channel of Your healing touch for the sick people around me. Amen.

Blessed William Andleby, pray for us.

This Tuesday, never forget how important you are to God.

July
Tuesday

COMPASSION

At the sight of the crowds, his heart was moved with pity for them because they were troubled and abandoned … – Matthew 9:36

We will never forget Typhoon Ondoy (international name: Ketsana) that caused one of the worst flooding disasters which hit the Philippines on September 26, 2009. It left deep-seated wounds especially to those who lost loved ones, homes and possessions.
Nevertheless, to us who were not directly hit, Ondoy has given us special opportunities to be selfless and show our love and compassion to our brethren.
I grabbed those opportunities and volunteered in relief operations and feeding programs to various evacuation centers. The sight of the evacuees moved my heart with sorrow and pity especially after having heard the struggles they went through during the onset of the typhoon. I found it difficult to utter words of comfort. I knew though, at those moments, our presence and the relief goods we distributed were enough for them. Troubled as they were, they saw and felt that their fellowmen went out of their way to be one with them, and that in such worst times, we could assure them that our God remains to be our only stronghold and source of hope. Sol Saura ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
When tears are in your eyes, remember that Jesus will dry them all.

Lord, make us compassionate especially to our needy brethren. May we find the joy of sharing Your love.

------------

1st READING
Even though Jacob was a schemer and tricked the birthright from his brother Esau, he had a passion for God. We do not have to be perfect and have everything right for God to bless us. Rather, like Jacob, we need to have a passion for God and be honest about ourselves to Him.

Genesis 32:23-33
23 In the course of the night, Jacob arose, took his two wives, with the two maidservants and his eleven children, and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. 24 After he had taken them across the stream and had brought over all his possessions, 25 Jacob was left there alone. Then some man wrestled with him until the break of dawn. 26 When the man saw that he could not prevail over him, he struck Jacob’s hip at its socket, so that the hip socket was wrenched as they wrestled. 27 The man then said, “Let me go, for it is daybreak.” But Jacob said, “I will not let you go until you bless me.” 28 “What is your name?” the man asked. He answered, “Jacob.” 29 Then the man said, “You shall no longer be spoken of as Jacob, but as Israel, because you have contended with divine and human beings and have prevailed.” 30 Jacob then asked him, “Do tell me your name, please.” He answered, “Why should you want to know my name?” With that, he bade him farewell. 31 Jacob named the place Peniel, “Because I have seen God face to face,” he said, “yet my life has been spared.” 32 At sunrise, as he left Penuel, Jacob limped along because of his hip. 33 That is why, to this day, the children of Israel do not eat the sciatic muscle that is on the hip socket, inasmuch as Jacob’s hip socket was struck at the sciatic muscle.

P S A L M
Psalms 17:1, 2-3, 6-7, 8, 15
R: In justice, I shall behold your face, O Lord.
1 Hear, O LORD, a just suit; attend to my outcry; hearken to my prayer from lips without deceit. (R) 2 From you let my judgment come; your eyes behold what is right. 3 Though you test my heart, searching it in the night, though you try me with fire, you shall find no malice in me. (R) 6 I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God; incline your ear to me; hear my word. 7 Show your wondrous mercies, O savior of those who flee from their foes. (R) 8 Hide me in the shadow of your wings 15 I in justice shall behold your face; on waking, I shall be content in your presence. (R)

G O S P E L

In the presence of the person of Jesus, we see the power of the Kingdom of God invading our world: demons are driven out, the sick healed and the lost forgiven. Today, let us be like the people in the crowd who reached out in faith to receive healing from Jesus.

ALLELUIA
I am the good shepherd, says the Lord; I know my sheep, and mine know me.

Matthew 9:32-38
32 A demoniac who could not speak was brought to Jesus, 33 and when the demon was driven out the mute person spoke. The crowds were amazed and said, “Nothing like this has ever been seen in Israel.” 34 But the Pharisees said, “He drives out demons by the prince of demons.” 35 Jesus went around to all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and curing every disease and illness. 36 At the sight of the crowds, his heart was moved with pity for them because they were troubled and abandoned, like sheep without a shepherd. 37 Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few; 38 so ask the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his harvest.”

my reflections
think: We need to have a passion for God and be honest about ourselves to Him.

------------

Wrestling with God

The main sanctuary of the San Fernando de Dilao Parish Church in Paco is one of the simplest I have ever seen. It is typical of the many other churches built by the CICM missionaries. The Baguio Cathedral is also one of these.
The simplicity of the sanctuary helps us focus on the essential: the altar itself, the ambo, the presider’s chair, the crucifix. Latin words inscribed above the arched wall of the sanctuary invite us to consider the need for solemnity and proper decorum in our worship. The words are “Sanctus, Sanctus, Sanctus, Dominus Sabbaoth,” which mean “Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord of Host.” God is Almighty, Awesome, Majestic. He must always be revered, honored and adored with the highest praise.
But the Bible lessons today share with us the other side of approaching God, that is, by just being who we are. The first reading narrates Jacob’s nocturnal wrestling with an angel which Bible scholars claim to be merely a literary figure representing God Himself. The patriarch was set to meet Esau, his twin brother, whom he deprived of a firstborn’s blessing. Perhaps in his solitude with God, Jacob expressed his fears and anxieties, and God subdued him and made him submit to His divine will and purpose by morning.
Our Gospel likewise describes Jesus as one who looked at situations with much compassion. As He pitied the crowd, Jesus would surely have lifted up a sigh in prayer to the Father. There was much work to be done, lots of persons to minister to, and a limited time for Jesus to do His earthly mission.
Feeling with and feeling for the people could not but make us wrestle with God. And we are free to be honest with God about how we feel. Just as St. Teresa de Avila, Doctor of the Church, was. Aged and exhausted by her efforts to reform the Carmelite Order, she wrote, “God, if this is the way you treat your friends, no wonder there are a few of them!” Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Recall a time when you wrestled with God in your prayer, thoughts and emotions. What experience brought this about? How did God make His presence felt? What message did God give you as you wrestled with Him?

Almighty Father, Your ways are too mysterious for me. Grant me wisdom to understand them.

St. Triphina, pray for us.

See Him beside you this whole Wednesday!

July
Wednesday

MY CARING GROUP

“Go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” – Matthew 10:6

In my work as managing editor of Kerygma, I get to read all of Bo’s books and articles, listen to his talks and watch his videos — all for free. Add to that the Sabbath and Didache reflections, which we edit and proofread, and I get my fill of spiritual nourishment for weeks and months to come.
However, I cannot be like the Dead Sea that receives water but does not give it away. For now, I feel that the call of the Lord to me is still to accompany His special children — those with mental handicaps — and their families in their life-long journey of dealing with their disability. It is to them that I share “in action” whatever I learn from Bo’s books or talks. They are, in truth, my caring group. I don’t get verbal affirmations because they cannot express themselves well. But with them, I do experience genuine love and acceptance — more than words can ever say.
God calls us in different ways and sends us to different places to bring His love. And it is precisely the reason why He wired us differently. Tess V. Atienza ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Where is God sending you at this stage of your life?

Lord, lead me to where You want me to bring Your love more.

-----------

1st READING
Joseph’s brothers come to him, driven by the famine and their need for food. How will Joseph respond since they were the ones who sold him into slavery? Upon hearing Reuben rebuke his brothers for the wrong they did to him, Joseph is moved to tears. Here we see how deeply Joseph had forgiven them from his heart.

Genesis 41:55-57; 42:5-7, 17-24
55 When hunger came to be felt throughout the land of Egypt and the people cried to Pharaoh for bread, Pharaoh directed all the Egyptians to go to Joseph and do whatever he told them. 56 When the famine had spread throughout the land, Joseph opened all the cities that had grain and rationed it to the Egyptians, since the famine had gripped the land of Egypt. 57 In fact, all the world came to Joseph to obtain rations of grain, for famine had gripped the whole world. 42: 5 The sons of Israel were among those who came to procure rations. 6 It was Joseph, as governor of the country, who dispensed the rations to all the people. When Joseph’s brothers came and knelt down before him with their faces to the ground, 7 he recognized them as soon as he saw them. But Joseph concealed his own identity from them and spoke sternly to them. 17 With that, he locked them up in the guardhouse for three days. 18 On the third day Joseph said to them: “Do this, and you shall live; for I am a God-fearing man. 19 If you have been honest, only one of your brothers need be confined in this prison, while the rest of you may go and take home provisions for your starving families. 20 But you must come back to me with your youngest brother. Your words will thus be verified, and you will not die.” To this they agreed. 21 To one another, however, they said: “Alas, we are being punished because of our brother. We saw the anguish of his heart when he pleaded with us, yet we paid no heed; that is why this anguish has now come upon us.” 22 “Didn’t I tell you,” broke in Reuben, “not to do wrong to the boy? But you wouldn’t listen! Now comes the reckoning for his blood.” 23 They did not know, of course, that Joseph understood what they said, since he spoke with them through an interpreter. 24 But turning away from them, he wept.

P S A L M
Psalms 33:2-3, 10-11, 18-19
R: Lord, let your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in you.
2 Give thanks to the LORD on the harp; with the ten-stringed lyre chant his praises. 3 Sing to him a new song; pluck the strings skillfully, with shouts of gladness. (R) 10 The LORD brings to nought the plans of nations; he foils the designs of peoples. 11 But the plan of the LORD stands forever; the design of his heart, through all generations. (R) 18 But see, the eyes of the LORD are upon those who fear him, upon those who hope for his kindness, 19 to deliver them from death and preserve them in spite of famine. (R)

G O S P E L
Psalm 71-
Here we see Jesus sharing His gifts and power with the Apostles and then sending them out to proclaim the Gospel. As we enter into this day, let us go with Jesus’ presence and gifts to bring His love, healing and peace to those we meet.
ALLELUIA
The Kingdom of God is at hand: repent and believe in the Gospel.

Matthew 10:1-7
1 Jesus summoned his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits to drive them out and to cure every disease and every illness. 2 The names of the twelve apostles are these: first, Simon called Peter, and his brother Andrew; James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John; 3 Philip and Bartholomew, Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James, the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddeus; 4 Simon the Cananean, and Judas Iscariot who betrayed him. 5 Jesus sent out these twelve after instructing them thus, “Do not go into pagan territory or enter a Samaritan town. 6 Go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 As you go, make this proclamation: ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’”

my reflections
think: As we enter into this day, let us go with Jesus’ presence and gifts to bring His love, healing and peace to those we meet.

-----------

God’s Election

Last year, we went through one crazy, expensive political process called the elections. We were all amazed at how position-hungry politicians carelessly threw away billions to promote their bloated egos, their myths about rags-to-riches origins, their competencies, their hero-laden lineage, their almost perfect solutions to national woes and ills. No one wants to be less than “Number 1.” They all came parading in their attractive thematic colors: yellow, green, red, blue, original orange, imitation orange, etc.
Today’s Scripture readings make me think: Would God be able to choose a governor who would save Egypt from famine from among our aspiring candidates for president? Would any of these presidentiables been better than the patriarch Joseph? Would Jesus dare pick His Twelve from the line-up of our aspiring congressmen and senators?
Our encounter with the Word of God invites us to dig deep and to be awed by God’s strange ways of Divine Election. God willed the humble stranger Joseph to be the governor of Egypt during the critical period of drought. He was inexperienced about management of any kind. Jesus singled out the Twelve rough guys from rural Galilee as pioneers for His worldwide mission of spreading the Kingdom of the Father. The Twelve are an interesting study of various ego trips and ego limits. Now, all these make up God’s pedagogy that every person is a potential, that everyone is a risk, and all that matters is teachability. No person is really born, made, naturally endowed and tailor-fit for anything. Every person, even those who have studied and specialized in their fields, will have to adjust and learn as they settle into specific working environments. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
What responsibilities and competencies do you currently hold? How do you feel about these? Do you, in any way, feel you are worthy and fit for these

Lord, You have elected me to do a specific mission for You. Help me do it well. Amen.

St. Merryn, pray for us.

Never lose sight of Jesus this Thursday.

July
Thursday

YOU ARE A PREACHER, TOO!

“Go and preach, ‘The Kingdom of heaven is near!’” – Matthew 10: 7

Jesus said this to His 12 Apostles when He sent them out to preach. But as I’ve said before, “All of us are preachers.” All of us are sent out to “preach.” Everyone shares in the mission of telling the world that “the Kingdom of heaven is near!” We just differ in our ways of expression.
When you, a public servant or a private employee, work well and serve well with excellence and passion, integrity and honesty, you are proclaiming God’s Kingdom!
When you, a businessman or an employer, think of the benefit of others by conducting your business with social conscience and responsibility, and by taking care of and paying your employees well, you are spreading the Good News!
When you, a father, a mother, a son or a daughter, create a home where understanding, joy, peace, forgiveness and love are the main rule, then you create heaven on earth!
Yes, by all means, let’s declare that Jesus is Lord and Savior, God and King! And “that God so loved the world He sent His only begotten Son.” But let’s preach loudly and more effectively by living our lives the way Jesus did! Then maybe, we wouldn’t need to “preach” it at all. Alvin Barcelona ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Am I consciously preaching God’s Kingdom by living a godly life?

Lord, grant us the grace to preach about Your love, not only by words, but above all, by our lives. Amen.

-----------

1st READING
Joseph at last reveals his true identity to his brothers and they are filled with amazement and disbelief that it could possibly be him. Yet this fulfils the dreams that Joseph had as a 17-year-old boy, and even though he had to endure 14 years in prison, God was faithful and fulfilled His promises to him. Since God is faithful to His word, we should never give up or lose hope.

Genesis 44:18-21, 23-29; 45:1-5
18 Judah approached Joseph and said: “I beg you, my lord, let your servant speak earnestly to my lord, and do not become angry with your servant, for you are the equal of Pharaoh. 19 My lord asked your servants, ‘Have you a father, or another brother?’ 20 So we said to my lord, ‘We have an aged father, and a young brother, the child of his old age. This one’s full brother is dead, and since he is the only one by that mother who is left, his father dotes on him.’ 21 Then you told your servants, ‘Bring him down to me that my eyes may look on him. 23 Unless your youngest brother comes back with you, you shall not come into my presence again.’ 24 When we returned to your servant our father, we reported to him the words of my lord. 25 Later, our father told us to come back and buy some food for the family. 26 So we reminded him, ‘We cannot go down there; only if our youngest brother is with us can we go, for we may not see the man if our youngest brother is not with us.’ 27 Then your servant our father said to us, ‘As you know, my wife bore me two sons. 28 One of them, however, disappeared, and I had to conclude that he must have been torn to pieces by wild beasts; I have not seen him since. 29 If you now take this one away from me too, and some disaster befalls him, you will send my white head down to the nether world in grief.’” 45: 1 Joseph could no longer control himself in the presence of all his attendants, so he cried out, “Have everyone withdraw from me!” Thus no one else was about when he made himself known to his brothers. 2 But his sobs were so loud that the Egyptians heard him, and so the news reached Pharaoh’s palace. 3 “I am Joseph,” he said to his brothers. “Is my father still in good health?” But his brothers could give him no answer, so dumbfounded were they at him. 4 “Come closer to me,” he told his brothers. When they had done so, he said: “I am your brother Joseph, whom you once sold into Egypt. 5 But now do not be distressed, and do not reproach yourselves for having sold me here. It was really for the sake of saving lives that God sent me here ahead of you.”

P S A L M

Psalms 105:16-17, 18-19, 20-21
R: Remember the marvels the Lord has done.
16 When he called down a famine on the land and ruined the crop that sustained them, 17 he sent a man before them,Joseph, sold as a slave. (R) 18 They had weighed him down with fetters, and he was bound with chains, 19 till his prediction came to pass and the word of the LORD proved him true. (R) 20 The king sent and released him, the ruler of the peoples set him free. 21 He made him lord of his house and ruler of all his possessions. (R)

G O S P E L

All that Jesus did in His preaching, the Apostles continued to do as well. Now, after Jesus’ resurrection, He continues His ministry of healing and deliverance through the church, its sacraments, priests and lay people. Let us be open today to receive all that Jesus wishes to give us through the Eucharist and through His Word, the Sacred Scriptures.

ALLELUIA
The Kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the Gospel.

Matthew 10:7-15
7 Jesus said to his Apostles: “As you go, make this proclamation: ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ 8 Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, drive out demons. Without cost you have received; without cost you are to give. 9 Do not take gold or silver or copper for your belts; 10 no sack for the journey, or a second tunic, or sandals, or walking stick. The laborer deserves his keep. 11 Whatever town or village you enter, look for a worthy person in it, and stay there until you leave. 12 As you enter a house, wish it peace. 13 If the house is worthy, let your peace come upon it; if not, let your peace return to you. 14 Whoever will not receive you or listen to your words — go outside that house or town and shake the dust from your feet. 15 Amen, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.”

--------------

god provides for those whom he sends

Having a family member confined in a hospital is a derailing experience. We have to see to it that there is always someone available to look after the sick family member. It is our cultural value to personally care for sick and aging family members. We adjust our work schedules to be able to do this. There is also the anxiety over expenditures for hospital bills, medicines and doctors’ fees.
I experienced all the above when our 68-year-old mother had to be hospitalized three times in a period of a month and a half. Two things I am personally thankful for: first, that during those trying moments my youngest sister happened to be around for a vacation; and second, that the members of the various renewal communities I minister to were sensitive to my predicament. They were quick to offer help, such as offering continuous prayers, visiting my mother and handing gifts that helped us through. All these were answered prayers. On several occasions, I candidly lifted up my heart and mind to the Lord in prayer in this manner: “Lord, You have made me a minister to serve Your Church with my everything. This untoward event with my mother overtakes me at the height of many schedules for Lent and Easter. Lord, I trust in Your infinite wisdom and goodness. I know that You will take care of my mother and that You will see to it that I serve You and Your Church with uninterrupted peace. Amen.” And the Lord showed what He was capable of!
Our Gospel passage today underlines not only Jesus’ missionary mandate for the first disciples; it also declares Jesus’ promise that He will provide sustenance for us to be faithful to our ordained mission and God-given responsibilities.We just have to trust God’s Word, and then do what we have to do. Many times, God’s power and wisdom need the backdrop of human helplessness and hopelessness so that we can easily recognize His work. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Look back at your own personal experience of God’s timely ways to sustain you in your own life priorities and ministry.

Lord, help me not to doubt that You will always provide for my needs as I try to accomplish Your purpose for my life. Amen.

St. Ethelburga, pray for us.

May you be guided by His directions this Friday!

8 July
Friday

CASSANDRA SYNDROME

“You will be hated by all because of my name, but whoever endures to the end will be saved.” – Matthew 10:22

Cassandra is a tragic character in Greek mythology. She is so beautiful that the Greek god Apollo falls in love with her and grants her the gift of prophecy. But she doesn’t requite Apollo’s love. So he places a curse on her so that no one would ever believe her predictions. Thus, we have today the term Cassandra Syndrome — applied in situations in which valid warnings or concerns are disbelieved.
Cassandra’s situation reflects the tragic condition of man. Like her, we are favored by God yet we seem powerless in the face of our many trials. But reflecting on today’s readings, I say that we really have nothing to complain about. Jesus was also favored by God. But unlike Cassandra, He returned God’s love. Still He suffered persecutions.
The Good News is there’s a big difference between Greek myth and the true story of our Christian faith. The suffering of Jesus forecasts our own persecution when we stand up for God. That’s why in Matthew 10:22, Jesus warns us: “You will be hated by all because of my name.” But I like what follows: “Whoever endures to the end will be saved.” And this is no Cassandra Syndrome. Cynthia Santiago ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
What are God’s promises that you live by?

Lord, may I always remember that Your promises are true and are eventually being fulfilled in me.

--------

1st READING
The restoration of Joseph to his father, Jacob, must be one of the most moving scenes in the Scriptures. Jacob had thought Joseph, his favorite son, was dead and had long mourned for him. Miraculously he is alive, restored and second- in-command of Egypt under Pharaoh. Though we may go through deep times of sadness, our faith promises us that it is the forerunner of a resurrection.

Genesis 46:1-7, 28-30
1 Israel set out with all that was his. When he arrived at Beer-sheba, he offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac. 2 There God, speaking to Israel in a vision by night, called, “Jacob! Jacob!” “Here I am,” he answered. 3 Then he said: “I am God, the God of your father. Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for there I will make you a great nation. 4 Not only will I go down to Egypt with you; I will also bring you back here, after Joseph has closed your eyes.” 5 So Jacob departed from Beer-sheba, and the sons of Israel put their father and their wives and children on the wagons that Pharaoh had sent for his transport. 6 They took with them their livestock and the possessions they had acquired in the land of Canaan. Thus Jacob and all his descendants migrated to Egypt. 7 His sons and his grandsons, his daughters and his granddaughters — all his descendants — he took with him to Egypt. 28 Israel had sent Judah ahead to Joseph, so that he might meet him in Goshen. On his arrival in the region of Goshen, 29 Joseph hitched the horses to his chariot and rode to meet his father Israel in Goshen. As soon as Joseph saw him, he flung himself on his neck and wept a long time in his arms. 30 And Israel said to Joseph, “At last I can die, now that I have seen for myself that Joseph is still alive.”

P S A L M

Psalms 37:3-4, 18-19, 27-28, 39-40
R: The salvation of the just comes from the Lord.
3 Trust in the LORD and do good, that you may dwell in the land and enjoy security. 4 Take delight in the LORD, and he will grant you your heart’s requests. (R) 18 The LORD watches over the lives of the wholehearted; their inheritance lasts forever. 19 They are not put to shame in an evil time; in days of famine they have plenty. (R) 27 Turn from evil and do good, that you may abide forever; 28 for the LORD loves what is right, and forsakes not his faithful ones. (R) 39 The salvation of the just is from the LORD; he is their refuge in time of distress. 40 And the LORD helps them and delivers them; he delivers them from the wicked and saves them, because they take refuge in him. (R)

G O S P E L
Jesus warns His Apostles of the trials and persecutions that they will face as they go about the mission of proclaiming the Kingdom of God. Satan is not going to relinquish his territory without a fight and this will often come through the opposition and persecution of others. Let us arm ourselves with the whole armor of God and prepare ourselves to never give up as the cross of the Lord assures us of victory.

ALLELUIA
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you to all truth and remind you of all I told you.

Matthew 10:16-23
16 Jesus said to his Apostles: “Behold, I am sending you like sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and simple as doves. 17 But beware of men, for they will hand you over to courts and scourge you in their synagogues, 18 and you will be led before governors and kings for my sake as a witness before them and the pagans. 19 When they hand you over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say. You will be given at that moment what you are to say. 20 For it will not be you who speak but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. 21 Brother will hand over brother to death, and the father his child; children will rise up against parents and have them put to death. 22 You will be hated by all because of my name, but whoever endures to the end will be saved. 23 When they persecute you in one town, flee to another. Amen, I say to you, you will not finish the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.”

my reflections
think: Though we may go through deep times of sadness, our faith promises us that it is the forerunner of a resurrection.

-----------

God’s Grace Works With Our Smart WaYS

Several years ago I preached a retreat for our sister community, the Daughters of St. Paul in Lahore, Pakistan. The nuns were thankful and excited because they had been gifted with three young novices preparing for their first profession of vows after almost 10 years of no additions.
In the course of my stay, I met a good number of Filipinos in the city. Some of them worked as professors in the university; others were lay missionary workers under the supervision of the Columban priests. I particularly remember my encounter with a Filipino religious brother who served as the novice master for his community’s 15 Pakistani novices. His religious community was originally founded in France and he narrated how they managed to put up a Pakistani mission house.
Pakistan, the first Islamic State, allows the visa-free entry of citizens from Asean member countries. The government specifically encouraged businessmen to visit the country and set up job and trade opportunities. Making use of this immigration policy, an Indonesian brother from the religious congregation travelled to and from Pakistan. In the process, he was able to procure a lot, build a community house and confirm a number of young Pakistani converts seeking entry to a religious congregation. The Indonesian brother who pioneered the difficult project was later given recognition by his confreres in the religious congregation. They elected him as one of their General Councilors. And the rest is history.
“Listen,” Jesus proclaims in today’s Gospel, “I am sending you as sheep among wolves. You should be clever as snakes and innocent as doves.” God’s blessing works best not only when we have much faith and confidence in His providence. We should complement God’s work with our own exercise of creativity, intelligence and intuition —abilities that God have already bestowed on us. Faith should not make us dumb and naive.Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
How do you plan your projects of evangelization? Do you also exercise astuteness and shrewdness? Re-read today’s Gospel and let it challenge you and your community’s attitude.

Lord, grant me courage to do my part in the work of evangelization. Help me to use the talents You have given me for this purpose. Amen.

St. Arnold, pray for us.

Be inspired with His message to you this Saturday!

9 July
Saturday

EA RTHQUAKES

“Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.” – Matthew 10:29-31

First was the Haiti earthquake. Then the one in Chile, followed by another one in China. There was one that I experienced firsthand while I was at work, and while it didn’t do a lot of damage, it was enough to freak me out.
We’re not really strangers to earthquakes with what happened to Baguio in the ‘90s. I was too young to remember that, and honestly, I’m glad that I was spared from the trauma. All these earthquakes and speculations of when one would hit the country is nothing but scary. I wonder if I would be able to handle another big one when I feel like I already had enough with my typhoon experiences.
But who says I had to go through that alone? I take comfort in the fact that God knows all my fears, and He promises that He is stronger than any earthquake. I can only do so much, and in the end, God really has the final say (just as He always does). Having faith means believing that God is enough, and He will enable me to make it through whatever life throws my way.Tina Matanguihan ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
“Our ‘safe place’ is not where we live; it is in whom we live.” (Tom White)

May I always remember that You, Lord, are my sure foundation.

------------

1st READING
After Jacob’s death, Joseph’s brothers fear he will take revenge on them for the evil they did to him. However, Joseph has long since worked through all his bitterness and hurt and had forgiven them for their treachery. Through all these trials, Joseph has learned a great lesson — that when we place our lives in God’s hands, He turns everything to our good so that nothing can harm us.

Genesis 49:29-33; 50:15-26
29 Jacob gave his sons this charge: “Since I am about to be taken to my people, bury me with my fathers in the cave that lies in the field of Ephron the Hittite, 30 the cave in the field of Machpelah, facing on Mamre, in the land of Canaan, the field that Abraham bought from Ephron the Hittite for a burial ground. 31 There Abraham and his wife Sarah are buried, and so are Isaac and his wife Rebekah, and there, too, I buried Leah — 32 the field and the cave in it that had been purchased from the Hittites.” 50: 15 Now that their father was dead, Joseph’s brothers became fearful and thought, “Suppose Joseph has been nursing a grudge against us and now plans to pay us back in full for all the wrong we did him!” 16 So they approached Joseph and said: “Before your father died, he gave us these instructions: 17 ‘You shall say to Joseph, Jacobbegs you to forgive the criminal wrongdoing of your brothers, who treated you so cruelly.’ Please, therefore, forgive the crime that we, the servants of your father’s God, committed.” When they spoke these words to him, Joseph broke into tears. 18 Then his brothers proceeded to fling themselves down before him and said, “Let us be your slaves!” 19 But Joseph replied to them: “Have no fear. Can I take the place of God? 20 Even though you meant harm to me, God meant it for good, to achieve his present end, the survival of many people. 21 Therefore have no fear. I will provide for you and for your children.” By thus speaking kindly to them, he reassured them. 22 Joseph remained in Egypt, together with his father’s family. He lived a hundred and ten years. 23 He saw Ephraim’s children to the third generation, and the children of Manasseh’s son Machir were also born on Joseph’s knees. 24 Joseph said to his brothers: “I am about to die. God will surely take care of you and lead you out of this land to the land that he promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.” 25 Then, putting the sons of Israel under oath, he continued, “When God thus takes care of you, you must bring my bones up with you from this place.” 26 Joseph died at the age of a hundred and ten.

P S A L M

Psalms 105:1-2, 3-4, 6-7
R: Be glad you lowly ones; may your hearts be glad!
1 Give thanks to the LORD, invoke his name; make known among the nations his deeds. 2 Sing to him, sing his praise, proclaim all his wondrous deeds. (R) 3 Glory in his holy name; rejoice, O hearts that seek the LORD! 4 Look to the LORD in his strength; seek to serve him constantly. (R) 6 You descendants of Abraham, his servants, sons of Jacob, his chosen ones! 7 He, the LORD, is our God; throughout the earth his judgments prevail. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus assures us that we are of great value to the heavenly Father and that He has counted every strand of our hair. Like a doting father, God gazes lovingly at us, so much so that He is entranced by us and wastes His time counting every strand of our hair to make sure not one is missing. If God loves us this much, let us entrust all our cares and concerns to Him rather than carrying them ourselves.

ALLELUIA
If you are insulted for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of God rests upon you.

Matthew 10:24-33
24 Jesus said to his Apostles: “No disciple is above his teacher, no slave above his master. 25 It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, for the slave that he become like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more those of his household! 26 Therefore do not be afraid of them. Nothing is concealed that will not
be revealed, nor secret that will not be known. 27 What I say to you in the darkness, speak in the light; what you hear whispered, proclaim on the housetops. 28 And do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather, be afraid of the one who can destroy both soul and body in Gehenna. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a small coin? Yet not one of them falls to the ground without your Father’s knowledge. 30 Even all the hairs of your head are counted. 31 So do not be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. 32 Everyone who acknowledges me before others I will acknowledge before my heavenly Father. 33 But whoever denies me before others, I will deny before my heavenly Father.”

my reflections
t h i n k : When we place our lives in God’s hands, He turns everything to our good so that nothing can harm us.

-------------

Brave Hearts

From Abraham in the Old Testament to Paul in the New Testament, God chose men who had checkered backgrounds. He often picked those whose qualities and character seemed to be inappropriate for the job. For the person that He will use to found the 12 tribes into a chosen nation, God selected Abraham, a childless old man. For someone who will be charged with spreading the Gospel even to the non-Jews, God elected the fiery Saul of Tarsus who was zealous about the observance of the Mosaic tradition.
All the persons that God chose, however, had one sterling mark: they were all fearless. Abraham followed God’s instructions to the letter, even as far as bringing his son Isaac to Moriah to be sacrificed. Paul would later move from place to place, amidst threats to life, imprisonment, shipwreck and daily anxieties, if only to preach about Jesus and to build up a community of believers in His name.
Even now, success comes to people not only because they are educated, well-bred and talented. Success smiles on those who try, dare and are unafraid. It is this kind of persons — men and women with brave hearts — who are able tograb opportunities that come even in trying and critical moments and make the best of them. Yes, be not afraid. This world is not for the fainthearted. In a letter to his young assistant Timothy, Paul wrote, “I remind you to keep alive the gift that God gave you when I laid my hands on you. For the Spirit that God has given us does not make us timid, instead His Spirit fills us with power, love and selfcontrol” (2 Timothy 1:6-7).Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Reminisce one experience where your deep faith and guts earned you victory in Jesus’ name. Spend some time asking Jesus to renew and rekindle in you the flame of His Holy Spirit.

Grant me a brave heart, Lord, that I may dare to pass through unknown paths in order to follow Your will for my life. Amen.

St. Adrian Van Hilvarenbeek, pray for us.

This Sunday, remember that you are hidden in His heart.

July
Sunday

ROOTS

“The seed sown on rocky ground is the one who hears the Word and receives it at once with joy. But he has no root and lasts only for a time.” – Matthew 13:20-21

In the industry I’m in, time is of the essence. Working 10-12 hours a day is normal. That leaves me eight hours of trying to put myself to sleep and four to six hours of enjoying the company of my beautiful wife, eating, serving in community, exercising and all the other activities I need to do. Of course, the weekends are bliss for me.
The one thing I realized is when I don’t pray for a day, everything else falls apart. It’s not enough to just read the Word and reflection of the day. If I stop at that, trials and anxieties soon take over and I find myself back to square one.
The strength I need for the day only lasts by getting power from God. I need roots — the roots of prayer. I need to constantly be in fellowship with the One who gives us true joy. Danny Maglutac ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
How much time do you spend in prayer?

Lord, give me a holy hunger for Your presence.

-------------

1st READING
God likens His Word to the rain that waters the earth and causes plants to grow and be fruitful. If we want God’s Word to bear fruit in our lives, we need to read, meditate on it, and live it.

Isaiah 55:10-11
10 Thus says the LORD: Just as from the heavens the rain and snow come down and do not return there till they have watered the earth, making it fertile and fruitful, giving seed to him who sows and bread to him who eats, 11 so shall my word be that goes forth from my mouth; it shall not return to me void, but shall do my will, achieving the end for which I sent it.

P S A L M

Psalms 65:10, 11, 12-13, 14
R: The seed that falls on good ground will yield a fruitful harvest.
9 [10] You have visited the land and watered it; greatly have you enriched it. God’s watercourses are filled; you have prepared the grain. (R) 10 [11] Thus have you prepared the land drenching its furrows, breaking up its clods, softening it with showers, blessing its yield. (R) 11 [12] You have crowned the year with you bounty, and your paths overflow with a rich harvest; 12 [13] the untilled meadows overflow with it, and rejoicing clothes the hills. (R) 13 [14] The fields are garmented with flocks and the valleys blanketed with grain. They shout and sing for joy. (R)

2nd READING

The Apostle Paul was able to accept the trials and suffering that came upon him as he preached the Gospel. He was confident that these trials were not worth comparing with the great reward he would receive in heaven.

Romans 8:18-23
18 Brothers and sisters: I consider that the sufferings of this present time are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed for us. 19 For creation awaits with eager expectation the revelation of the children of God; 20 for creation was made subject to futility, not of its own accord but because of the one who subjected it, in hope 21 that creation itself would be set free from slavery to corruption and share in the glorious freedom of the children of God. 22 We know that all creation is groaning in labor pains even until now; 23 and not only that, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, we also groan within ourselves as we wait for adoption, the redemption of our bodies.

G O S P E L

The parable of the sower describes the various states of the human heart when the Word of God enters it. Today, let us reflect honestly as to the true state of our hearts and by repentance we can allow the plough of the Spirit and God’s Word to change our hearts from unfruitful ground to fertile soil bearing a hundredfold.

ALLELUIA
The seed is the word of God, Christ is the sower. All who come to him will have life forever.

Matthew 13:1-23
1 On that day, Jesus went out of the house and sat down by the sea. 2 Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat down, and the whole crowd stood along the shore. 3 And he spoke to them at length in parables, saying: “A sower went out to sow. 4 And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path, and birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky ground, where it had little soil. It sprang up at once because the soil was not deep, 6 and when the sun rose it was scorched, and it withered for lack of roots. 7 Some seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it. 8 But some seed fell on rich soil, and produced fruit, a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold. 9 Whoever has ears ought to hear.” 10 The disciples approached him and said, “Why do you speak to them in parables?” 11 He said to them in reply, “Because knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven has been granted to you, but to them it has not been granted. 12 To anyone who has, more will be given and he will grow rich; from anyone who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables, because ‘they look but do not see and hear but do not listen or understand.’ 14 Isaiah’s prophecy is fulfilled in them, which says: ‘You shall indeed hear but not understand, you shall indeed look but never see. 15 Gross is the heart of this people, they will hardly hear with their ears, they have closed their eyes, lest they see with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their heart and be converted, and I heal them.’ 16 But blessed are your eyes, because they see, and your ears, because they hear. 17 Amen, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it. 18 Hear then the parable of the sower. 19 The seed sown on the path is the one who hears the word of the kingdom without understanding it, and the evil one comes and steals away what was sown in his heart. 20 The seed sown on rocky ground is the one who hears the word and receives it at once with joy. 21 But he has no root and lasts only for a time. When some tribulation or persecution comes because of the word, he immediately falls away. 22 The seed sown among thorns is the one who hears the word, but then worldly anxiety and the lure of riches choke the word and it bears no fruit. 23 But the seed sown on rich soil is the one who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and yields a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold.”

----------

God Can Be Helpl ess

The Marriage Encounter Weekend (MEW) is definitely one renewal program that we have to be thankful for. Since its conception in Spain by a certain Fr. Calvo, and since it was brought to the Philippines via U.S.A. by Jesuit Fr. Ruben Tanseco, the program has benefited countless Catholic and Christian couples in their search for quality married life. The undeniable testimony to this is the number of M.E. communities that have been put up and sustained by couples who, after being touched by the program, decided to make the promotion of MEW as their lifetime apostolate.
Each weekend class has interesting stories to tell. While majority of the couples who come to the weekend seminar are “infected” positively by the presentation talks and dynamics, some are not even able to complete the weekend. Some couples end up quarrelling and breaking up. And there are those who thought that their marriage was fantastic, yet afterwards experience shake-ups in their relationships. The words and wisdom shared by the presenting teams, consisting of two couples and a priest, and the disclosures that either husband or wife do after each reflection, failed to yield good fruits because one of the parties doesn’t open up to listen or to give. Pride, unforgiveness, rationalizations, emotionalism block goodwill and goodness.
Nothing is impossible with God, yes. But the parable of Jesus today awakens us to the reality that although God is powerful, there are instances when His power is rendered helpless because the human heart is unprepared or too preoccupied with temporalities. The economy of God’s grace can be likened to the cellphone. Through the years, this gadget has opened up various horizons of exchange. Through the powerful beam of unseen digital energies, voice calls, text messages, video calls, email exchanges and Internet connectivities are now possible. But all these become useless when the user enters a place where he or she “cannot be reached.” Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
What unpleasant circumstances in life make you often shut yourself off from others’ reach and from God’s joys? What can you do to open yourself more to God’s grace and goodness?

Lord, make me more receptive to Your grace and goodness. Amen.

St. Etto, pray for us.

Carry the Lord in your heart this Monday!

July
Monday

A GREAT HONOR

“Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” – Matthew 10:39

Corrie Ten Boom was a Dutch watchmaker who helped save the lives of Jews by hiding them in their home during the Nazi occupation of Holland. Unfortunately, Corrie and her family were arrested by the Gestapo in 1944. Corrie and her sister Betsie were imprisoned in Ravensbruck. It seemed to be the end of the family’s mission but it was where the mission was continued with much fervor. Corrie and Betsie held worship services attended by Catholic, Lutheran and Eastern Orthodox women prisoners. Even behind bars, Corrie reached out, risked her life and gave hope to those in need of it as much as she did.
I believe that the Lord honored Corrie’s willingness to give up her life for others by saving her. Thanks to a clerical error, Corrie was released from Ravensbruck a week before all the women prisoners her age were killed. The Lord preserved Corrie’s life that she may continue her mission and share with the world what she learned from her imprisonment. As her sister Betsie exhorted Corrie, “We must tell them what we have learned here. We must tell them that there is no pit so deep that He is not deeper still. They will listen to us, Corrie, because we have been here.”Dina Pecaña ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
“I submit to you that if a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn’t fit to live.” (Martin Luther King, Jr.)

Jesus, in obedience to the Father and out of Your great love for me, You died on the Cross in my place. May I have the grace to do the same for others if it will be for Your glory.

------------

1st READING

“The more they were oppressed, the more they multiplied and spread.” Although the evil seeks to thwart the work and purpose of God and His people, all his efforts are in vain and are ultimately used by God to bless and increase His Kingdom.

Exodus 1:8-14, 22
8 A new king, who knew nothing of Joseph, came to power in Egypt. 9 He said to his subjects, “Look how numerous and powerful the people of the children of Israel are growing, more so than we ourselves! 10 Come, let us deal shrewdly with them to stop their increase; otherwise, in time of war they too may join our enemies to fight against us, and so leave our country.” 11 Accordingly, taskmasters were set over the Israelites to oppress them with forced labor. Thus they had to build for Pharaoh the supply cities of Pithom and Raamses. 12 Yet the more they were oppressed, the more they multiplied and spread. The Egyptians, then, dreaded the children of Israel 13 and reduced them to cruel slavery, 14 making life bitter for them with hard work in mortar and brick and all kinds of field work — the whole cruel fate of slaves. 22 Pharaoh then commanded all his subjects, “Throw into the river every boy that is born to the Hebrews, but you may let all the girls live.”

P S A L M

Psalms 124:1-3, 4-6, 7-8
R: Our help is in the name of the Lord.
1 Had not the LORD been with us — let Israel say, 2 had not the LORD been with us — when men rose up against us, 3 then would they have swallowed us alive. When their fury was inflamed against us. (R) 4 Then would the waters have overwhelmed us; the torrent would have swept over us; 5 over us then would have swept the raging waters. 6 Blessed be the LORD, who did not leave us a prey to their teeth. (R) 7 We were rescued like a bird from the fowlers’ snare; broken was the snare, and we were freed. 8 Our help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus wants His disciples to have a realistic view of what it will mean to truly follow Him. It will inevitably cause conflicts even with those closest to us. If we choose to put God first in our lives, far from harming our families, it will ultimately be for their good and blessing.

ALLELUIA
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 10:34-11:1
34 Jesus said to his Apostles: “Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth. I have come to bring not peace but the sword. 35 For I have come to set a man ‘against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and one’s enemies will be those of his household.’ 37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and whoever does not take up his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 40 Whoever receives you receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me. 41 Whoever receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and whoever receives a righteous man because he is righteous will receive a righteous man’s reward. 42 And whoever gives only a cup of cold water to one of these little ones to drink because he is a disciple — amen, I say to you, he will surely not lose his reward.” 11: 1 When Jesus finished giving these commands to his twelve disciples, he went away from that place to teach and to preach in their towns.

my reflections
think: I f we choose to put God first in our lives, far from harming our families, it will ultimately be for their good and blessing.
-------

A Crash Course on Family Renewal

For couples who have gone through the Marriage Encounter Weekend (MEW), a follow-through growth program is the Family Encounter Weekend (FEW). The FEW teaches fathers, mothers and their children the good fruits of openness and continuing dialogue, especially if carried out in the spirit of non-judgemental expression and acceptance of felt needs and emotions. During the talks, reflections and exercises during the weekend, fathers and mothers experience the reality that their children could actually be their great enemies and burdens in life, as the words of Jesus today reveal. Even practical human wisdom says that we are often hurt most deeply by those closest to us.
The progress of the Family Encounter, however, opens us to liberating lessons that are parallel to today’s Gospel:
Jesus says, “Those who try to gain their own life will lose it.” The more someone insists that family members satisfy his wants and expectations, the more he loses the beauty of family life.
Jesus says, “Those who love their father or mother, or their son or daughter, more than me... are not fit.” Loving our family members too tightly can actually be a self-centered, selfish, possessive and manipulative way of loving. Family members will surely resent this.
Jesus says, “Those who do not take up their cross... are not fit.” The cross of Jesus is a symbol of love that is willing to sacrifice beyond what is fair to reach out and save others. This is what the family needs: that each member does not simply relate with one another justly, like a 50-50 sharing, but that each one should be willing to fill up the gaps of another— up to a hundred percent.
Jesus finally shares, “Whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me — God.” True family renewal happens when each member of the family begins to relate, to feel, to think, to act, to love in the pattern of true faith in God. There can be no truly human and humane values without religion and faith. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Spend some time today applying the insights of our Gospel to your family’s situation and experience. What concrete and practical steps can you start applying in your relationship with your family?

Lord, make me a better member of my own family — more loving, more humble, more giving. Amen.

St. Olga, pray for us.

Get empowered by His message to you this Tuesday!

July
Tuesday

My Miriams

Then his sister asked Pharaoh’s daughter, “Shall I go and call one of the Hebrew women to nurse the child for you?” – Exodus 2:7

The upside to being an only child is I didn’t have to share things. These are lines I never had to say or hear: “I won’t wear Ate’s old Hello Kitty T-shirt” (regarding hand-me-downs to a younger brother). “One for you, two for me” (of goodies and treats being divided by an older sibling). “Get out of the bathroom; you’ve been there for two hours!” (While banging on the door.)
The downside is the same thing — there’s nobody to share things with. No sister to share secrets with, no brother to watch over me, no one to help with family burdens and decision-making.
When I joined my community, my biggest blessing was gaining a brood of brothers and sisters. I’ve got sisters to consult about problems and who give me lovely birthday surprises. I’ve got brothers who make sure I get home safely and who pray with me for my children.
As Moses’ mother sent his sister, Miriam, to watch over him, God sent my community siblings to care for me. Like Miriam, they run back with prayers to a loving Father who provides the nurturing I need. Lella Santiago ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Have you thanked the people God sent to care for you lately?

Father God, I praise and thank You for Your never-ending care.

--------------

1st READING
When Miriam placed her infant child in the basket in the river, it was a great act of trust. What would happen to him? Yet we can be sure that when we, too, surrender our most precious gifts to God, He will preserve and use them to serve His Kingdom and His people.

Exodus 2:1-15
1 A certain man of the house of Levi married a Levite woman, 2 who conceived and bore a son. Seeing that he was a goodly child, she hid him for three months. 3 When she could hide him no longer, she took a papyrus basket, daubed it with bitumen and pitch, and putting the child in it, placed it among the reeds on the river bank. 4 His sister stationed herself at a distance to find out what would happen to him. 5 Pharaoh’s daughter came down to the river to bathe, while her maids walked along the river bank. Noticing the basket among the reeds, she sent her handmaid to fetch it. 6 On opening it, she looked, and lo, there was a baby boy, crying! She was moved with pity for him and said, “It is one of the Hebrews’ children.” 7 Then his sister asked Pharaoh’s daughter, “Shall I go and call one of the Hebrew women to nurse the child for you?” 8 “Yes, do so,” she answered. So the maiden went and called the child’s own mother. 9 Pharaoh’s daughter said to her, “Take this child and nurse it for me, and I will repay you.” The woman therefore took the child and nursed it. 10 When the child grew, she brought him to Pharaoh’s daughter, who adopted him as her son and called him Moses; for she said, “I drew him out of the water.” 11 On one occasion, after Moses had grown up, when he visited his kinsmen and witnessed their forced labor, he saw an Egyptian striking a Hebrew, one of his own kinsmen. 12 Looking about and seeing no one, he slew the Egyptian and hid him in the sand. 13 The next day he went out again, and now two Hebrews were fighting! So he asked the culprit, “Why are you striking your fellow Hebrew?” 14 But the culpit replied, “Who has appointed you ruler and judge over us? Are you thinking of killing me as you killed the Egyptian?” Then Moses became afraid and thought, “The affair must certainly be known.” 15 Pharaoh, too, heard of the affair and sought to put Moses to death. But Moses fled from him and stayed in the land of Midian.

P S A L M
Psalms 69:3, 14, 30-31, 33-34
R: Turn to the Lord in your need, and you will live.
2 [3] I am sunk in the abysmal swamp where there is no foothold; I have reached the watery depths; the flood overwhelms me. (R) 13 [14] But I pray to you, O LORD, for the time of your favor, O God! In your great kindness answer me with your constant help. (R) 29 [30] But I am afflicted and in pain; let your saving help, O God, protect me. 30 [31] I will praise the name of God in song, and I will glorify him with thanksgiving. (R) 32 [33] “See, you lowly ones, and be glad; you who seek God, may your hearts revive! 33 [34] For the LORD hears the poor, and his own who are in bonds he spurns not.” (R)

G O S P E L

Mighty deeds and miracles rarely produce great faith. Rather, we see in the lives of the saints that it is through great darkness and aridity that faith grows strong. Do not ask for signs but follow what God has clearly revealed as His will. This is the surest way.
Psalm 101-105
ALLELUIA
If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

Matthew 11:20-24
20 Jesus began to reproach the towns where most of his mighty deeds had been done, since they had not repented. 21 “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty deeds done in your midst had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would long ago have repented in sackcloth and ashes. 22 But I tell you, it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you. 23 And as for you, Capernaum: ‘Will you be exalted to heaven? You will go down to the netherworld.’ For if the mighty deeds done in your midst had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. 24 But I tell you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.”

my reflections
t h i n k : It is through great darkness and aridity that faith grows strong.

------------

Jesus Had Regrets

I found myself listing some of my regrets in life as I look forward to celebrating my 50th birthday in two years. Among the things I wrote were: “I should have cared more for my hair. I should have been more conscientious about my diet and food intake. I should have been more demonstrative of my love for my grandparents. I should have spent more time with them. I should have learned how to drive.”
As the lines of a famous song goes: “Regrets I have a few...” While life seemed slow when we were young, it seems to pass us by more quickly now that we are older, more mature and more serious about things that we have to accomplish and do.
Jesus spent just 33 years of life on earth, and devoted only three years for teaching and preaching. In today’s Gospel, it is uplifting to know that He also had some regrets about the outcome of some of His mission work. Not everything ended the way He would have wanted them to. There were places where His efforts to win people over to the values of the Kingdom were not welcome. Part of the reality of life is having to reckon with a good number of unknowns and variables. For instance, a driver may really be conscious about driving safely, but he has no control over the driving habits of others. So, accidents may happen even to the most careful driver.
The beautiful point we can learn from Jesus is this: Let us not allow our regrets to spoil everything. In the same way that Jesus had to move on despite His message being rejected by the people of Chorazin, Bethsaida, Tyre and Sidon, we need to learn the art of surrendering each and every event in our life to God’s all-knowing ways. In God’s wisdom, even the most foolish thing finds meaning. In God’s mercy, even the worst error and sin find redemption and justification. Let us not try to play gods, goddesses, or demigods even. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Befriend your own failures and regrets. List them down, recognize, name and own them. Lift them up to God in prayer and ask for His wisdom and mercy.

Father God, help me to surrender my regrets to You and grant me courage and hope to make the most of what is to come. Amen.

St. Veronica, pray for us.

God will never leave you. This Wednesday is no different.

July
Wednesday

ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER?

“I praise you, Father... because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.” – Matthew 11:25

My daughter Frances was about three years old when she asked, “Dad, why are there TV ads urging viewers to buy cigarettes and after they’ll say, ‘Cigarette smoking is dangerous to your health’?” I felt that the Mystery of the Trinity was far easier to explain than this one. So I simply said, “I guess grownups aren’t as smart as they pretend to be.”
What I love about children is that they have a lot of wisdom called “common sense.” They keep simple things simple. When adults want to justify a sin, when they refuse to break free from a harmful habit, when they don’t admit fault, when they resist the humility needed to restore a relationship, their common excuse is, “It’s complicated…”
Robert Fulghum was right when he said it all in the title of his book, All I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. Kindergarten counsels make perfect sense: Share the cookie. Always tell the truth. When you cross the street, hold hands. When it’s not yours, don’t take it. When you get something, return it where you got it. When you have wronged someone, say you’re sorry.
We may be smarter than a fifth grader but are we wiser? Jon Escoto ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Are you currently in a “complicated” situation? Maybe taking on the mind of a child can simplify your perspectives and make you see your situation simply as it is.

Father, may I remember that I am Your child. May I regain the sense of wonder and the simple wisdom that You planted in my heart.

-------------

1st READING
When God called Moses to be His spokesman to lead the Israelites to freedom, God had already decided what He was going to do. It was not Moses who was going to free his people but God. Likewise, when God calls us to serve Him, it is He who will do the work. All we need to do is listen to Him and obey.

Exodus 3:1-6, 9-12
1 Moses was tending the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian. Leading the flock across the desert, he came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2 There an angel of the LORD appeared to him in fire flaming out of a bush. As he looked on, he was surprised to see that the bush, though on fire, was not consumed. 3 So Moses decided, “I must go over to look at this remarkable sight, and see why the bush is not burned.” 4 When the LORD saw him coming over to look at it more closely, God called out to him from the bush, “Moses! Moses!” He answered, “Here I am.” 5 God said, “Come no nearer! Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground. 6 I am the God of your father,” he continued, “the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob.” 9 The cry of the children of Israel has reached me, and I have truly noted that the Egyptians are oppressing them. 10 Come, now! I will send you to Pharaoh to lead my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt.” 11 But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and lead the children of Israel out of Egypt?” 12 He answered, “I will be with you; and this shall be your proof that it is I who have sent you: when you bring my people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this very mountain.”

P S A L M
Psalms 103:1-2, 3-4, 6-7
R: The Lord is kind and merciful.
1 Bless the LORD, O my soul; and all my being, bless his holy name. 2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits. (R) 3 He pardons all your iniquities, he heals all your ills. 4 He redeems your life from destruction, he crowns you with kindness and compassion. (R) 6 The LORD secures justice and the rights of all the oppressed. 7 He has made known his ways to Moses, and his deeds to the children of Israel. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus often used children to illustrate how we should relate to God our Heavenly Father. Children have a deep trust and confidence in their parents and do not worry where the money and food will come from. So we, too, should have a deep trust and confidence in God to care for us.

ALLELUIA
Blessed are you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, you have revealed to little ones the mysteries of the Kingdom.

Matthew 11:25-27
25 At that time Jesus exclaimed: “I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these
things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike. 26 Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will. 27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him.”

my reflections
t h i n k : When God calls us to serve Him, it is He who will do the work. All we need to do is listen to Him and obey.

-------------

God Is LIKE a Sea

My mother originated from Ilocos Sur, a village located by the shores of the South China Sea. When we were young, we loved going there during school breaks — oftentimes in December and May. We cherished bonding times in a wooden ancestral house built by my mother’s great grandfather using wide hardwood slab floors. We also enjoyed eating the bounty of fruits — papayas, mangoes, guyabanos, guavas — picked from fruit trees that my maternal grandmother planted. Of course, not to be missed was the regular dip into the salty waters of the sea. It was fun, relaxing and therapeutic.
In May, the waters of the South China Sea can get treacherous. Waves would be strong and big, depending on the lunar cycle. There were times when the undercurrents were dangerous. While standing with my feet on the sandy bottom of the sea, I could feel the waves sucking the sand from under my feet. And before I knew it, I would be in deep waters.
There was one occasion when I was pulled into the deep. Waves sucked my feet and my body into the open sea. The deep waters and the strong waves made my every stride towards the shore seem futile. I began to panic, especially because I was not a good swimmer. Good thing I had presence of mind. Instead of fighting to reach the shore, I abandoned myself to the strong waves. I raised my feet, relaxed my body and kept myself afloat with arms spread wide as I looked up to the blue sky. I allowed the strong waves to carry me closer to shore where, on shallower waters, I managed to stand up and walk to safety.
The ways of God are wide and deep, mysterious and threatening like the sea. The more we resist Him and try to do things our way, the harder it could be for us. Instead, let us open wide our arms and let Him carry us to where He wants to bring us! Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Recall a moment in life when you managed to survive, not by struggling and fighting out your way, but by a candid and sweet surrender.

Lord, when I am sinking into deep holes in life, grant me the grace to surrender my situation into Your hands and allow You to carry me to the light. Amen.

St. Teresa de los Andes, pray for us.

Follow Him all the way this Thursday.

14 July
Thursday

TIRED

“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.” – Matthew 11: 28

Thea (not her real name) was sobbing when she phoned me one day.
“Do you know a priest I can talk to?” she asked, “I’m so tired.”
I later learned that she was pregnant, and that the baby’s father was not her husband. She had been trying to save her marriage since she learned of her husband’s philandering. And when she didn’t succeed, she ended up making wrong decisions that led her to a very sticky situation.
I was happy enough to hear from Thea that she longed to talk to a priest. She wanted to confess her misdeeds and seek advice on how to turn her life around. She longed for rest and peace, and she knew where to find it.
It took Thea a lot of humility and courage to acknowledge her helplessness. And I’m positive that the Lord jumped for joy when He heard Thea say that she wanted to find rest in Him. For the Lord never ceases to invite us to come to Him when our souls, like Thea’s, are tired and weary from life’s battles. He is, after all, our resting place as He says. And you can count on His word. Nova Arias ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Are you tired? Wounded? Bored? Fed up? You know whom to call on.

You, O God, are our refuge and our strength, an ever-present help in distress (Psalm 46:1).

----------

1st READING
When God reveals Himself to Moses, He reveals Himself as the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. What God is saying is that He is the God who is faithful to His promises and His covenants. Just as He was with the Patriarchs through all their trials, so He will be with Moses and the children of Israel in their distress and until He leads them to their freedom.

Exodus 3:13-20
13 “But,” said Moses to God, “when I go to the children of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ if they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what am I to tell them?” 14 God replied, “I am who am.” Then he added, “This is what you shall tell the children of Israel: I AM sent me to you.” 15 God spoke further to Moses, “Thus shall you say to the children of Israel: The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is my name forever; this is my title for all generations. 16 Go and assemble the elders of Israel, and tell them: The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, has appeared to me and said: I am concerned about you and about the way you are being treated in Egypt; 17 so I have decided to lead you up out of the misery of Egypt into the land of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites, a land flowing with milk and honey. 18 Thus they will heed your message. Then you and the elders of Israel shall go to the king of Egypt and say to him: The LORD, the God of the Hebrews, has sent us word. Permit us, then, to go a three days’ journey in the desert, that we may offer sacrifice to the LORD, our God. 19 Yet I know that the king of Egypt will not allow you to go unless he is forced. 20 I will stretch out my hand, therefore, and smite Egypt by doing all kinds of wondrous deeds there. After that he will send you away.”

P S A L M

Psalms 105:1, 5, 8-9, 24-25, 26-27
R: The Lord remembers his covenant forever.
1 Give thanks to the LORD, invoke his name; make known among the nations his deeds. 5 Recall the wondrous deeds that he has wrought, his portents, and the judgments he has uttered. (R) 8 He remembers forever his covenant which he made binding for a thousand generations — 9 which he entered into with Abraham and by his oath to Isaac. (R) 24 He greatly increased his people and made them stronger than their foes, 25 whose hearts he changed, so that they hated his people, and dealt deceitfully with his servants. (R) 26 He sent Moses his servant; Aaron, whom he had chosen. 27 They wrought his signs among them, and wonders in the land of Ham. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus reveals the face of God as one who is meek and humble of heart. So often, we view God as a harsh and demanding taskmaster who is never satisfied with what we do. Let us see the truth — that God is not the one who is demanding and driving us, but it is our own compulsions and anxieties.
Psalm 111-115
ALLELUIA
Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest, says the Lord.

Matthew 11:28-30
28 Jesus said: “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

my reflections
t h i n k : God is not the one who is demanding and driving us, but it is our own compulsions and anxieties.

------------

An Art Call ed Empathy

Pastoral Psychology was a subject we had to take as part of our Theological studies at the Loyola School of Theology in Ateneo. It helped us learn about non-directive techniques in counseling which is becoming more and more a part of the priestly ministry. People now tend to come to confession with the expectation that priests counsel them, too.
On the pastoral side, the subject provided candidates for the priesthood with candid awareness on the dangers of counseling. Among these dangers are transference and counter-transference. That is, problematic penitents may end up being hooked on a manipulative and co-dependent relationship with their confessors.
On a positive note, Pastoral Psychology, especially in the way Jesuit Fr. Ruben Tanseco taught it to us, made us see the importance not of sympathy but of empathy. Empathy teaches us to genuinely understand the other person’s experience and various feelings by making us bracket out our personal thoughts, biases and feelings. Empathy is an art of understanding people, with great respect to their personhood.
Jesus’ words in today’s Gospel are words of empathy. Jesus does not mean to simply cuddle and comfort the weak and the weary. What Jesus wants to do is to lighten these people’s burdens by making them aware that He is with them. Jesus was able to empathize with those who labor because He was Himself raised up in a laborer’s family. Jesus was a carpenter like His legal father, Joseph. He was able to genuinely understand the variety of human situations because, although he is God, He became truly human. He can feel with us, the sheep of His flock, because even though He was the Good Shepherd, He is the Lamb of God!
The art of empathy flows not from learned principles and techniques. It is the product of immersion and transcendence. One has to go through with the other person. One has to live out the path of Jesus’ own incarnation and redemptive life with us. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
What particular human experiences have you personally gone through that now provide you with the emotional maturity to accompany others in their moments of difficulty? Look back and thank God for all these.

“Grant me compassion, that I may be Your heart today.”

St. Phocas, pray for us.

This Friday, work with Him at your side.

July
Friday

WHAT GOD NEEDS

“I desire mercy, not sacrifice...” – Matthew 12:7

Bong admits that he’s a bad person because of his illegal business. He says he can’t avoid it so to make amends he gives alms to his church and provides financial assistance for some friends. “The Lord is forgiving,” he would often think.
Marco, meanwhile, is not rich, but he is a good and hardworking son. In his free time, he always drops by the hospital and gives to others what he has much of: Mercy. Because of the time he spends with the patients, they have come to know him and treat him like family.
In the Gospel today, Jesus says, “I desire mercy, not sacrifice.” What need does God have for anyone’s money if the whole universe is already His? What need does He have of anyone’s time or talent if He can bring rocks to life to do His bidding? Instead, for us more than for Himself, He desires our love, obedience and mercy.
“That they may have life,” He says in John 10:10, “and have it more abundantly.” Rod Velez ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
If you’re tired and weighed down, do you know how to be merciful to yourself?

Teach us, Lord, to realize exactly how deep and how high Your mercy is for us.

---------------------

1st READING

Christ symbolizes the lamb sacrificed at the Passover and whose blood was shed to protect the families from the destroying angel. Just as the Passover lamb was killed and its blood shed to save the people from slavery in a far greater way, Christ, the Lamb of God, is sacrificed to set us free from sin.

Exodus 11:10-12:14
10 Although Moses and Aaron performed these various wonders in Pharaoh’s presence, the LORD made Pharaoh obstinate, and he would not let the children of Israel leave his land. 12: 1 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, 2 “This month shall stand at the head of your calendar; you shall reckon it the first month of the year. 3 Tell the whole community of Israel: On the tenth of this month every one of your families must procure for itself a lamb, one apiece for each household. 4 If a family is too small for a whole lamb, it shall join the nearest household in procuring one and shall share in the lamb in proportion to the number of persons who partake of it. 5 The lamb must be a year-old male and without blemish. You may take it from either the sheep or the goats. 6 You shall keep it until the fourteenth day of this month, and then, with the whole assembly of Israel present, it shall be slaughtered during the evening twilight. 7 They shall take some of its blood and apply it to the two doorposts and the lintel of every house in which they partake of the lamb. 8 That same night they shall eat its roasted flesh with unleavened bread and bitter herbs. 9 It shall not be eaten raw or boiled, but roasted whole, with its head and shanks and inner organs. 10 None of it must be kept beyond the next morning; whatever is left over in the morning shall be burned up. 11 This is how you are to eat it with your loins girt, sandals on your feet and your staff in hand, you shall eat like those who are in flight. It is the Passover of the LORD. 12 For on this same night I will go through Egypt, striking down every first-born of the land, both man and beast, and executing judgment on all the gods of Egypt — I, the LORD! 13 But the blood will mark the houses where you are. Seeing the blood, I will pass over you; thus, when I strike the land of Egypt, no destructive blow will come upon you. 14 This day shall be a memorial feast for you, which all your generations shall celebrate with pilgrimage to the LORD, as a perpetual institution.”

P S A L M

Psalms 116:12-13, 15-16, 17-18
R: I will take the cup of salvation, and call on the name of the Lord.
12 How shall I make a return to the LORD for all the good he has done for me? 13 The cup of salvation I will take up, and I will call upon the name of the LORD. (R) 15 Precious in the eyes of the LORD is the death of his faithful ones. 16 I am your servant, the son of your handmaid; you have loosed my bonds. (R) 17 To you will I offer sacrifice of thanksgiving, and I will call upon the name of the LORD. 18 My vows to the LORD I will pay in the presence of all his people. (R)

G O S P E L

The Pharisees exalted the Sabbath because for them, keeping the day sacred was their way to image God who rested on the Sabbath after six days of creation. Jesus overturned the Sabbath and put Himself as the new Sabbath. As St. Paul says, the law can never lead us to life, which can only be found in the Son.

ALLELUIA
My sheep hear my voice, says the Lord; I know them, and they follow me.

Matthew 12:1-8
1 Jesus was going through a field of grain on the sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick the heads of grain and eat them. 2 When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, “See, your disciples are doing what is unlawful to do on the sabbath.” 3 He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he and his companions were hungry, 4 how he went into the house of God and ate the bread of offering, which neither he nor his companions but only the priests could lawfully eat? 5 Or have you not read in the law that on the sabbath the priests serving in the temple violate the sabbath and are innocent? 6 I say to you, something greater than the temple is here. 7 If you knew what this meant, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned these innocent men. 8 For the Son of Man is Lord of the sabbath.”

my reflections
think : The law can never lead us to life, which can only be found in the Son.

------------------

Pro-Life

Nowadays we hear great debates about the true value of human life vis-a-vis the demands and challenges of modern living. First, there is the brewing debate about the need to regulate the geometric increase of human population to uphold quality of life and economic gains. Aggresive advocates espouse the promotion of all means, especially artificial means, of population control. Second, feminist movements the world over have also been lobbying for legal recognition of the rights of women to determine the birth or the non-birth of human lives developing in their womb! These feminists maintain that women are the owners of their bodies and hence, they have the inalienable right to decide what to do to care for their bodies and to further their career paths. Third, an increasing number of advocates for law and order in society advance that, for the sake of controlling crime and violence, harsh penal systems that include the imposition of death sentence for persons who commit heinous crimes should be reinstated.
We have only to read and re-read the Gospel to hear what the divine bias is. From the very words of Jesus, we deduce how God values each and every human life even above the demands of religious rites and traditions. God is best honored by honoring the most important element of His work of creation — the communication of life to each and every living creature. Not only does Jesus underline respect for human life, but for every kind of created life that came from God. Even animals are entitled to kindness and to life. Listen to Jesus saying, “It is kindness that I want, not animal sacrifices.” In fact, after Jesus’ bloody offering of His life in Calvary, there is no need to slaughter animals at the Temple as worship to God. The Temple for animal sacrifices is historically no more! Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Are you a person of kind and gentle ways? What situations trigger your violent tendencies in action as well as in thought? Are you likewise kind and caring to animals and nature?

Make me a channel of Your peace, Lord.

St. Donald, pray for us.

Thank you for sharing the Word with us. I'll be a daily visitor.

July
Saturday

DARK TIMES

It was a night when the Lord kept watch to bring them out of Egypt.... – Exodus 12:42

Jun just got the mammogram results of his wife, Cecille. She went through a tedious battle with breast cancer the year before. She requires regular checkup to see if she is clear from all cancer.
The words printed in the result made him stop in the middle of the hallway. “Cloudiness... lesions ... recommend sonogram.” These terms were very familiar to him. Is the cancer back?
He prayed hard on his way to pick up his wife. He kept on repeating the name of Jesus. As he prayed, he recalled that God never left them during their battle with cancer last year. He recalled God’s message to them during the “dark” times. God’s message was A-C-T — Accept the situation, take Courage and Trust in God.
God’s grace was confirmed when they visited the doctor. They were advised that there was nothing to worry about. She is clear of cancer. The sonogram was recommended only if the patient wanted to undergo another test since there was nothing found.
The Lord was with them through the battle and He continues to be with them each and every day. Alvin Fabella ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
What is your “Egypt” situation now? Have faith and trust that the Lord will bring you out of your Egypt.
Though I walk through the valley of death, I fear no evil for You are with me.

----------

1st READING

The children of Israel rushed out of Egypt, out of the grip of Pharaoh. This meant they had no time to prepare for the journey. They had to walk by faith, trusting soley on God’s provision. We, too, are called to walk by faith, confident that God will provide all that we need for our journey.

Exodus 12:37-42
37 The children of Israel set out from Rameses for Succoth, about six hundred thousand men on foot, not counting the little ones. 38 A crowd of mixed ancestry also went up with them, besides their livestock, very numerous flocks and herds. 39 Since the dough they had brought out of Egypt was not leavened, they baked it into unleavened loaves. They had been rushed out of Egypt and had no opportunity even to prepare food for the journey. 40 The time the children of Israel had stayed in Egypt was four hundred and thirty years. 41 At the end of four hundred and thirty years, all the hosts of the LORD left the land of Egypt on this very date. 42 This was a night of vigil for the LORD, as he led them out of the land of Egypt; so on this same night all the children of Israel must keep a vigil for the LORD throughout their generations.

P S A L M

Psalms 136:1, 23-24, 10-12, 13-15
R: His mercy endures forever.
1 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his mercy endures forever; 23 who remembered us in our abjection, for his mercy endures forever; 24 and freed us from our foes, for his mercy endures forever. (R) 10 Who smote the Egyptians in their first-born, for his mercy endures forever; 11 And brought out Israel from their midst, for his mercy endures forever; 12 with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, for his mercy endures forever. (R) 13 Who split the Red Sea in twain, for his mercy endures forever; 14 and led Israel through its midst, for his mercy endures forever; 15 but swept Pharaoh and his army into the Red Sea, for his mercy endures forever. (R)

G O S P E L

Unlike worldly rulers who impose their rule by force and trample on the weak, Jesus, the humble Servant of the Lord, does not break the bruised reed or quench the smoldering wick. We don’t have to fear the gentle reign of Jesus in our hearts for He comes not to destroy us but to bring us freedom, joy, hope and love.

ALLELUIA
God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.

Matthew 12:14-21
14 The Pharisees went out and took counsel against Jesus to put him to death. 15 When Jesus realized this, he withdrew from that place. Many people followed him, and he cured them all, 16 but he warned them not to make him known. 17 This was to fulfill what had been spoken through Isaiah the prophet: 18 “Behold, my servant whom I have chosen, my beloved in whom I delight; I shall place my spirit upon him, and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles. 19 He will not contend or cry out, nor will anyone hear his voice in the streets. 20 A bruised reed he will not break, a smoldering wick he will not quench, until he brings justice to victory. 21 And in his name the Gentiles will hope.”

my reflections
t h i n k : We don’t have to fear the gentle reign of Jesus in our hearts for He comes not to destroy us but to bring us freedom, joy, hope and love.

----------

To be like CHRIST IS To Think Less of Oneself

During the campaign period for the 2010 national elections, a candidate running for the presidency, who was an early favorite, began to decline in approval ratings. An obvious factor for this was not just his failure to answer the various allegations of malpractice and corruption he committed as a senator but a general perception that he was a user. He used entertainment and sports personalities to endorse his candidacy. He used his aged mother to sway the sympathy of public opinion to his favor. To this last scheme, many reacted and commented, “Aging mothers are better shielded from the pain of unpredictable and merciless public opinion. Their children should not use them as shield; the children are strong enough to fight their own fight.” With such reaction, his strategy boomeranged on him.
It is indeed a strong human tendency to seek support for oneself, to utilize moments of being down to play with other people’s soft hearts, to capitalize on being an underdog to win others to one’s side. Our vulnerability seeks to feed on other people’s vulnerability.
It is interesting to note that Jesus avoided this pitfall. In today’s Gospel, the Pharisees and His other enemies had just come together to hatch the plot to entrap and kill Him (cf Matthew 12:14). Jesus could have easily excused Himself away from the crowd; Jesus could have put on a facade of irritability but He did not. He spared the crowd from the experience of pain. In fact, the story goes that Jesus went on curing all who were ill. He did not contend nor did He cry and shout. Beautifully, the words of the Gospel underline: “A bruised reed he did not break.” He allowed the Spirit to lead Him to ways of peace and gentleness even as He was in deep turmoil within.
Jesus teaches us the practice of genuine sacrifice. It is self-effacement: thinking less and less of one’s needs and pains. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Do you tend to make others aware about your pains and bitterness? What are your real and deep motivations when you do so? What is Jesus’ challenge for you in today’s Gospel?

Lord, make me think less of myself; instead, help me to focus on what others may be feeling and going through.

St. Vitalian, pray for us.

Thank God for your loved ones this Sunday.

July
Sunday

PRAYING FROM THE HEA RT

The Spirit comes to the aid of our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit itself intercedes with inexpressible groaning. – Romans 8:26

In one of the seminars I attended, a speaker talked about spiritual dryness as a drifting away from our spiritual growth when we experience backsliding.
He said that, as human beings, we experience this now and then for the following reasons: (1) We feel we have no immediate need of God’s providence; (2) we have become impatient and hopeless because God hasn’t answered our prayer concerns; or (3) We just feel bored doing the same routine every day of our life.
When this so-called spiritual dryness would hit us, we are to make a spot check on the areas in our life that may have caused it and from there start anew. We have to continually grow in our faith, and believe that God loves us and that He will take care of us till the end of time. We have to meet life’s many challenges and refrain from backsliding to what we were before. We were told to call on God’s Holy Spirit at all times as the Holy Spirit was sent to us to help us pray. And true prayer is one that comes from the heart. It’s talking to a friend.Dr. Henry Yu [email protected])

REFLECTION:
We are children of the same God who listens when we pray, opens when we knock and gives when we ask. He will always be with us in good times and in bad.

Father, through the Holy Spirit, help us to remain steadfast in our faith. Help us to pray from the heart.
---------

1st READING

Although God is all-powerful, He chooses the way of mercy and love rather than power to bring about His kingdom. Let us always remember that nothing is impossible to God. He waits patiently for us to return to Him so that He can forgive and heal us.

Wisdom 12:13, 16-19
13 There is no god besides you who have the care of all, that you need show you have not unjustly condemned. 16 For your might is the source of justice; your mastery over all things makes you lenient to all. 17 For you show your might when the perfection of your power is disbelieved; and in those who know you, you rebuke temerity. 18 But though you are master of might, you judge with clemency, and with much lenience you govern us; for power, whenever you will, attends you. 19 And you taught your people, by these deeds, that those who are just must be kind; and you gave your sons good ground for hope that you would permit repentance for their sins.

P S A L M

Psalms 86:5-6, 9-10, 15-16
R: Lord, you are good and forgiving.
5 You, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in kindness to all who call upon you. 6 Hearken, O LORD, to my prayer and attend to the sound of my pleading. (R) 9 All the nations you have made shall come and worship you, O Lord, and glorify your name. 10 For you are great, and you do wondrous deeds; you alone are God. (R) 15 You, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in kindness and fidelity. 16 Turn toward me, and have pity on me; give your strength to your servant. (R)

2nd READING

Jesus called the Holy Spirit the Advocate who stands on our behalf. Let us put our trust in the Holy Spirit as He is God dwelling in us and has all the power of God to aid us in our weaknesses.

Romans 8:26-27
26 Brothers and sisters: The Spirit comes to the aid of our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit itself intercedes with inexpressible groanings. 27 And the one who searches hearts knows what is the intention of the Spirit, because it intercedes for the holy ones according to God’s will.

G O S P E L

At times, we may feel frustrated and disappointed at the state of the Church and its imperfections. Yes, as Jesus says, both the true seed of God and the seed of the evil one are on the field. God is not going to remove the evil seeds before the final judgment. Then Jesus will come to judge and will separate the people as a shepherd separates sheep from goats. Until then we need to pray that God will bring about our conversion and those around us who may still be astray.

ALLELUIA
Blessed are you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth; you have revealed to little ones the mysteries of the kingdom.

Matthew 13:24-43
24 Jesus proposed another parable to the crowds, saying: “The kingdom of heaven may be likened to a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25 While everyone was asleep his enemy came and sowed weeds all through the wheat, and then went off. 26 When the crop grew and bore fruit, the weeds appeared as well. 27 The slaves of the householder came to him and said, ‘Master, did you not sow good seed in your field? Where have the weeds come from?’ 28 He answered, ‘An enemy has done this.’ His slaves said to him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’ 29 He replied, ‘No, if you pull up the weeds you might uproot the wheat along with them. 30 Let them grow together until harvest; then at harvest time I will say to the harvesters, “First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles for burning; but gather the wheat into my barn.”’” 31 He proposed another parable to them. “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that a person took and sowed in a field. 32 It is the smallest of all the seeds, yet when full-grown it is the largest of plants. It becomes a large bush, and the ‘birds of the sky come and dwell in its branches.’” 33 He spoke to them another parable. “The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed with three measures of wheat flour until the whole batch was leavened.” 34 All these things Jesus spoke to the crowds in parables. He spoke to them only in parables, 35 to fulfill what had been said through the prophet: “I will open my mouth in parables, I will announce what has lain hidden from the foundation of the world.” 36 Then, dismissing the crowds, he went into the house. His disciples approached him and said, “Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field.” 37 He said in reply, “He who sows good seed is the Son of Man, 38 the field is the world, the good seed the children of the kingdom. The weeds are the children of the evil one, 39 and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels. 40 Just as weeds are collected and burned up with fire, so will it be at the end of the age. 41 The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will collect out of his kingdom all who cause others to sin and all evildoers. 42 They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth. 43 Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears ought to hear.”

my reflections
t h i n k : God waits patiently for us to return to Him so that He can forgive and heal us.

-----------

No Perfection Here!

May 10, 2010 is history for us, Filipinos. On this day, we had our first automated national and local elections. Anxiety was high in the run-up to the elections. It seemed the electoral process would not push through. The timetable for the preparation of ballots, the delivery of the PCOS (Precinct Count Optical Scanner) machines and the testing and sealing of computers for the voting precincts seemed too short. The anxiety heightened with the need to recall and reprogram the computer cards containing the software for the decoding of ballots. On election day, the long lines at the polls and the slow turnaround of voters seemed to lead to a massive disenfranchisement of voters. But as the days passed, things proceeded generally well and at the end, the whole nation witnessed with excitement the fast tallying of votes. But the story did not stop. Days later, there were those who came forward with complaints about election anomalies and frauds. People asked: When will we ever get to a perfect system of elections?
Jesus’ words in our Gospel parable are prophetic. They make us realize that in this world, no matter how much we try, there is no real perfection. Evil, like weeds, does not stop thriving. The important thing is that we should also never tire doing good and weeding out the forces and influences of evil.
There are moments when we behave like the workers in today’s Gospel. We want the landowner, who is God, to make things simple and easy by just decreeing to end evil. Jesus exhorts us to instead search for the wisdom why God allows evil to co-exist with goodness until the Day of the Lord appears. First, the continuing existence of evil makes us vigilant. In fact, for many, vigilance against evil in all its forms has given them a mission and a meaning in life. Second, the presence of evil makes us also more mindful of God. It makes us pray for protection and deliverance. Third, the activity of evil also makes us more active and assertive in doing what is good. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
What ongoing experiences in your life do you consider as “weeds” that you would love to disappear? What is today’s Gospel personally telling you?

Lord, open my eyes to the forces of evil around me and within me so I may not be trapped by them.

St. Theodota, pray for us.

Be God?s blessing to the world this Monday!

July
Monday

THE RESCUER

In great fright they cried out to the Lord. – Exodus 14:10

I was on my knees, crying, trembling and begging God to make the rain stop so the flood water would subside. But the heavy downpour continued and the water inside our house was rising fast. “Lord, I don’t want to die this way. Have mercy on us. Please save us.” This was during typhoon Ondoy on
September 26, 2009. When my mom finally agreed to evacuate the house, it was already neck deep in our garage. I shouted for help and prayed that God would send somebody to rescue us. A man wearing a life jacket appeared from the curve and headed our direction. Our neighbor, who was a great swimmer, also came to our rescue. With joint effort, they brought us to safety. The Egyptian army pursued the Israelites, ready for the kill. The Israelites thought they were doomed for they were trapped against the sea. So they cried out to the Lord. God provided a way of escape by parting the Red Sea.
We may feel trapped in our current situation as if there is no way out. But instead of despairing, we need to call on God and trust that He will deliver us. Judith Concepcion ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Are you in a sticky or life-and-death situation and have lost all hope? Fear not, for God will come to your rescue. That’s for sure!

Lord, You are my Rock and my Deliverer. In You I find refuge.

----------

1st READING

This Exodus story shows us how fear drives out faith. When the children of Israel see Pharaoh and his chariots pursuing them, they tell Moses they would have been better left in Egypt to die. Fear leads to despair and unbelief. In contrast, Moses hears the word of God for him and the people in this crisis, and then moves in obedience and faith to see God work a mighty miracle.

Exodus 14:5-18
5 When it was reported to the king of Egypt that the people had fled, Pharaoh and his servants changed their minds about them. They exclaimed, “What have we done! Why, we have released Israel from our service!” 6 So Pharaoh made his chariots ready and mustered his soldiers — 7 six hundred first-class chariots and all the other chariots of Egypt, with warriors on them all. 8 So obstinate had the LORD made Pharaoh that he pursued the Israelites even while they were marching away in triumph. 9 The Egyptians, then, pursued them; Pharaoh’s whole army, his horses, chariots and charioteers, caught up with them as they lay encamped by the sea, at Pi-hahiroth, in front of Baal-zephon. 10 Pharaoh was already near when the Israelites looked up and saw that the Egyptians were on the march in pursuit of them. In great fright they cried out to the LORD. 11 And they complained to Moses, “Were there no burial places in Egypt that you had to bring us out here to die in the desert? Why did you do this to us? Why did you bring us out of Egypt? 12 Did we not tell you this in Egypt, when we said, ‘Leave us alone. Let us serve the Egyptians’? Far better for us to be the slaves of the Egyptians than to die in the desert.” 13 But Moses answered the people, “Fear not! Stand your ground, and you will see the victory the LORD will win for you today. These Egyptians whom you see today you will never see again. 14 The LORD himself will fight for you; you have only to keep still.” 15 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Why are you crying out to me? Tell the Israelites to go forward. 16 And you, lift up your staff and, with hand outstretched over the sea, split the sea in two, that the Israelites may pass through it on dry land. 17 But I will make the Egyptians so obstinate that they will go in after them. Then I will receive glory through Pharaoh and all his army, his chariots and charioteers. 18 The Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD, when I receive glory through Pharaoh and his chariots and charioteers.”

P S A L M

Exodus 15:1-2, 3-4, 5-6
R: Let us sing to the Lord; he has covered himself in glory.
1 I will sing to the LORD, for he is gloriously triumphant; horse and chariot he has cast into the sea. 2 My strength and my courage is the LORD, and he has been my savior. He is my God, I praise him; the God of my father, I extol him. (R) 3 The LORD is a warrior, LORD is his name! 4 Pharaoh’s chariots and army he hurled into the sea; the elite of his officers were submerged in the Red Sea. (R) 5 The flood waters covered them, they sank into the depths like a stone. 6 Your right hand, O LORD, magnificent in power, your right hand, O LORD, has shattered the enemy. (R)

G O S P E L

The Scribes and Pharisees demand of Jesus a sign, not because they want to believe in Him, but to challenge Him and His authority. What greater sign could God have given them than coming to them in the person of His Son? We do not need signs to have faith. Rather we should place our whole confidence in Christ for in Him all the fullness of the Godhead dwells and is given to us each time we receive holy communion.

ALLELUIA
If today you hear His voice, harden not your hearts.

Matthew 12:38-42
38 Some of the scribes and Pharisees said to Jesus, “Teacher, we wish to see a sign from you.” 39 He said to them in reply, “An evil and unfaithful generation seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah the prophet. 40 Just as Jonah was in the belly of the whale three days and three nights, so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights. 41 At the judgment, the men of Nineveh will arise with this generation and condemn it, because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and there is something greater than Jonah here. 42 At the judgment the queen of the south will arise with this generation and condemn it, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and there is something greater than Solomon here.”

my reflections
t h i n k : We do not need signs to have faith.

-------------

Changed Hearts: The Greatest Miracle

May 20, 2010. A few weeks before the opening of the school year 2010- 2011, I joined the Oasis of Love Charismatic Community in a Mass for the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. They conducted a two-day “Life in the Spirit Seminar” for the teachers and the staff of the Holy Child Catholic School in Tondo, Manila. It was a humid day and the air conditioning units were of little help. There were around 150 participants and 50 facilitators. Just before I celebrated the Eucharist, one of the facilitators candidly shared to the coordinators the apparent lack of attention and restlessness of the participants.
The actual moment of praying over for the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is usually melodramatic, with all the outpouring of emotions. The condition of the seminar room and the time constraint to finish the activity made me decide to scrap an earlier plan to have the participants prayed over individually. Even then, the invocation to the Holy Spirit and the praising in tongues that followed were truly inspiring. As the saying goes: “The Holy Spirit blows where it wills.” As I reminded myself, the true measure of success of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit was not just that morning but what happens with the lives of the participants days and years after.
Jesus stresses in the Gospel: Wonder works and mighty deeds by God are not for the satisfaction of the curious. The miracle of Jonah led to a concrete and lasting fruit: the conversion of the king and the citizens of Nineveh. The wise teachings of Solomon were not just for the listening pleasure of the Queen of Sheba. Rather, the wisdom of Solomon made the Queen of Sheba a believer.
As I went home that night, I prayed, “Jesus, thank You for making me an instrument for the baptism in the Spirit of the participants. They are now Yours. Let them feel Your transforming touch in their lives.”Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
What concrete fruits do you look for in your works of evangelization? What particular things do you tend to regard as measures of success in your ministry and apostolate in Church?

Lord, keep me humble in my work of evangelization and apostolate. Help me to always remember that I am a mere instrument in Your hands.

St. Theneva, pray for us.

Back
Top Bottom