Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

God's Message For You Today

Get empowered by His message to you this Tuesday!

July
Tuesday

TODAY IS THE DAY

Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the Lord… – Exodus 15:1

Years ago, I went to the US to attend a Christian convention. During one worship, the leader sang one of his rock compositions. And for the first time in my life, I cried while singing a rock song. Why? Because I believed in the song. The words spoke volumes to me.
As I sang, I felt God telling me not to worry about tomorrow, for as the title states: “Today Is the Day!”
These are some of the lyrics of the song by Lincoln Brewster:
I’m casting my cares aside/I’m leaving my past behind/I’m setting my heart and mind on You, Jesus. I’m reaching my hand to Yours/Believing there’s so much more/ Knowing that all You have in store for me is good. Today is the day You have made/I will rejoice and be glad in it... And I won’t worry about tomorrow I’m trusting in what You say/Today is the day. I’m putting my fears aside/I’m leaving my doubts behind/I’m giving my hopes and dreams to You, Jesus/I’m reaching my hands to Yours/Believing there’s so much more, Knowing that all You have in store for me is good. I will stand upon Your truth/And all my days I’ll live for You. Arun Gogna ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
Friend, today is your day! What news do you believe in?

Jesus, You are my Messiah! I put my faith and hope in You.

------------

1st READING

When God delivered Israel from the power of Pharaoh, He did not depend on the power and strength of the Israelites to gain victory. When we are faced with the power of evil, let us call upon the Lord to fight for us and to win victory.

Exodus 14:21-15:1
21 Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and the LORD swept the sea with a strong east wind throughout the night and so turned it into dry land. When the water was thus divided, 22 the children of Israel marched into the midst of the sea on dry land, with the water like a wall to their right and to their left. 23 The Egyptians followed in pursuit; all Pharaoh’s horses and chariots and charioteers went after them right into the midst of the sea. 24 In the night watch just before dawn the LORD cast through the column of the fiery cloud upon the Egyptian force a glance that threw it into a panic; 25 and he so clogged their chariot wheels that they could hardly drive. With that the Egyptians sounded the retreat before Israel, because the LORD was fighting for them against the Egyptians. 26 Then the LORD told Moses, “Stretch out your hand over the sea, that the water may flow back upon the Egyptians, upon their chariots and their charioteers.” 27 So Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and at dawn the sea flowed back to its normal depth. The Egyptians were fleeing head on toward the sea, when the LORD hurled them into its midst. 28 As the water flowed back, it covered the chariots and the charioteers of Pharaoh’s whole army which had followed the Israelites into the sea. Not a single one of them escaped. 29 But the children of Israel had marched on dry land through the midst of the sea, with the water like a wall to their right and to their left. 30 Thus the LORD saved Israel on that day from the power of the Egyptians. When Israel saw the Egyptians lying dead on the seashore 31 and beheld the great power that the LORD had shown against the Egyptians, they feared the LORD and believed in him and in his servant Moses. 15: 1 Then Moses and the children of Israel sang this song to the LORD: I will sing to the LORD, for he is gloriously triumphant; horse and chariot he has cast into the sea.

P S A L M
Exodus 15:8-9, 10, 12, 17
R: Let us sing to the Lord; he has covered himself in glory.
8 At a breath of your anger the waters piled up, the flowing waters stood like a mound, the flood waters congealed in the midst of the sea. 9 The enemy boasted, “I will pursue and overtake them; I will divide the spoils and have my fill of them; I will draw my sword; my hand shall despoil them!” (R) 10 When your wind blew, the sea covered them; like lead they sank in the mighty waters. 12 when you stretched out your right hand, the earth swallowed them! (R) 17 And you brought them in and planted them on the mountain of your inheritance — the place where you made your seat, O LORD, the sanctuary, O LORD, which your hands established. (R)

G O S P E L

When Jesus says, ”Who are my mother and my brothers?” He is not saying that His relatives are not these but all those who, like Mary, hear the Word of God and keep it. Here, Jesus reveals the true nature and glory of the Virgin Mary — that it was in her heart that she conceived the Son of God through her faith and humble surrender to the will of God.
Psalm 131-135
ALLELUIA
R: Alleluia, alleluia
Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him and we will come to him.

Matthew 12:46-50
46 While Jesus was speaking to the crowds, his mother and his brothers appeared outside, wishing to speak with him. 47 Someone told him, “Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, asking to speak with you.” 48 But he said in reply to the one who told him, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” 49 And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 For whoever does the will of my heavenly Father is my brother, and sister, and mother.”

my reflections
t h i n k : When we are faced with the power of evil, let us call upon the Lord to fight for us and to win victory.

--------------

“Ka mag-anak, Incorporated”

When reports came that Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III was most likely the winner in the Philippines’ 2010 presidential elections, an issue began to circulate: “To what extent will his relatives influence the running of state and economic affairs?” Many Filipinos believe that the Aquinos and the Cojuangcos, collectively referred to by many as “Kamag-anak, Inc.,” benefitted materially during the presidency of Corazon Aquino, Noynoy’s mother. Though the veracity or extent of this impression was never objectively investigated, a number voiced apprehensions that the same could happen with a Noynoy presidency.
In the Gospel, we read that even Jesus had to level with issues regarding the interference of His relatives in His work. It is but human — and Jesus participated this — that family members express and show concern for a family member, not only in matters that are personal. Our families played a great part in our growing up, in our education, in our aspirations, in our discernment of careers and life orientations, and even in the choice of life partners. In a way, we are who we are also because of the contribution of our families of origin.
A very important lesson from Jesus’ story, however, is this: Jesus knew at what point He had to stand up for Himself. He knew He had a mission to accomplish — one that makes Him accountable to the Heavenly Father. He knew that the time for this mission was limited. Hence, for Him, His family members, including the Blessed Mother, should help Him to be faithful to His God-given task and appointment. And the Gospel indicates that Mary was truly Jesus’ first disciple. She was there for the first miracle of Jesus at Cana. She was there when Jesus finally brought His mission to completion at the Cross of Calvary. Mary was one with Jesus in His lifelong faithfulness to the will of the Father. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Sit down and think about the ways your family showed you great support in your life decisions. Thank God for the great gift of a supportive family. Outline concrete ways to acknowledge your family’s great support for you and your life mission.

Thank You, Lord, for the gift of a supportive family.

St. Macrina the Younger, pray for us.

This Wednesday, may you hear His voice in your heart!

20 July
Wednesday

SOUND INVESTMENT

“Part of it finally landed on good soil and yielded grain a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold.” – Matthew 13:8

When my dad moved to Singapore to work, he would regularly send money to my mom for all our needs. Included with that is his tithe or 10 percent of his salary to be given to our parish church or our charismatic community. He knew that the tithe belonged to the Lord.
It’s been almost 20 years since my dad retired. While many of his retired contemporaries are having financial difficulties, he is able to enjoy his retirement and still be generous to those in need. I believe this is because he faithfully set aside his tithe to invest in God’s Kingdom while he was still earning. Now, he’s reaping the benefits and it is God’s turn to take care of him.
John Avancini says in his book, Hundredfold, that only the seed sown on good ground can yield an abundant harvest. A true sign of a good-ground ministry is one that will vigorously attempt to accomplish the specific purpose God has given it. If that ministry diverts from their calling or embarks on a work of their choosing, then it ceases to be a good ground.
So, the next time you “invest” your tithe or love offering, be sure to discern if it’s a good ground or a stony path. Ronna Ledesma ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Only good ground produces an abundant harvest.

Father, I pray that all the people reading this daily devotional may invest in this “good ground” ministry so that more people may be reached with Your Good News.

-------------

1st READING

God wants to teach the people to trust in Him, but when faced by trials they grumbled, complained and wished they were back in Egypt, in the place of slavery and sin. Often, like the Israelites, we seem to prefer our sins, bondages and addictive patterns over the freedom that God offers us. Let us follow the example of Moses and trust in God and in His provision for our deepest needs.

Exodus 16:1-5, 9-15
1 The children of Israel set out from Elim, and came into the desert of Sin, which is between Elim and Sinai, on the fifteenth day of the second month after their departure from the land of Egypt. 2 Here in the desert the whole assembly of the children of Israel grumbled against Moses and Aaron. 3 The children of Israel said to them, “Would that we had died at the LORD’s hand in the land of Egypt, as we sat by our fleshpots and ate our fill of bread! But you had to lead us into this desert to make the whole community die of famine!” 4 Then the LORD said to Moses, “I will now rain down bread from heaven for you. Each day the people are to go out and gather their daily portion; thus will I test them, to see whether they follow my instructions or not. 5 On the sixth day, however, when they prepare what they bring in, let it be twice as much as they gather on the other days.” 9 Then Moses said to Aaron, “Tell the whole congregation of the children of Israel: Present yourselves before the LORD, for he has heard your grumbling.” 10 When Aaron announced this to the whole assembly of the children of Israel, they turned toward the desert, and lo, the glory of the LORD appeared in the cloud! 11 The LORD spoke to Moses and said, 12 “I have heard the grumbling of the children of Israel. Tell them: In the evening twilight you shall eat flesh, and in the morning you shall have your fill of bread, so that you may know that I, the LORD, am your God.” 13 In the evening quail came up and covered the camp. In the morning a dew lay all about the camp, 14 and when the dew evaporated, there on the surface of the desert were fine flakes like hoarfrost on the ground. 15 On seeing it, the children of Israel asked one another, “What is this?” for they did not know what it was. But Moses told them, “This is the bread which the LORD has given you to eat.”

P S A L M

Psalms 78:18-19, 23-24, 25-26, 27-28
R: The Lord gave them bread from heaven.
18 They tempted God in their hearts by demanding the food they craved. 19 Yes, they spoke against God, saying, “Can God spread a table in the desert?” (R) 23 Yet he commanded the skies above and the doors of heaven he opened; 24 he rained manna upon them for food and gave them heavenly bread. (R) 25 Man ate the bread of angels, food he sent them in abundance. 26 He stirred up the east wind in the heavens, and by his power brought on the south wind. (R) 27 And he rained meat upon them like dust, and, like the sand of the sea, winged fowl, 28 which fell in the midst of their camp round about their tents. (R)

G O S P E L

The Gospel invites us to reflect on the state of our hearts. How are we responding to the Word of God? Does it bear fruit in our lives? Or have the cares and concerns of the world suffocated the plants that God is trying to grow in us?

ALLELUIA
The seed is the word of God, Christ is the sower; all who come to him will live forever.

Matthew 13:1-9
1 On that day, Jesus went out of the house and sat down by the sea. 2 Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat down, and the whole crowd stood along the shore. 3 And he spoke to them at length in parables, saying: “A sower went out to sow. 4 And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path, and birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky ground, where it had little soil. It sprang up at once because the soil was not deep, 6 and when the sun rose it was scorched, and it withered for lack of roots. 7 Some seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it. 8 But some seed fell on rich soil, and produced fruit, a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold. 9 Whoever has ears ought to hear.”

my reflections
t h i n k : How are we responding to the Word of God?

--------------

PARABLE OF THE GOOD SOWER

On May 8, 2010, Sr. Natividad Valdez, whom we call Apo Madre or Apo Miliang, of the Sister Servants of the Holy Spirit celebrated her 70th year in the religious life. Then on May 26, 2010, her family members and friends joined her in celebrating the Eucharist to thank the Lord for her 100th birthday, not just for giving Apo Madre a long life but a quality life as well. She remains alert and has a joyful disposition.
Wherever she was assigned, Apo Madre went and served with all her heart. Her fellow nuns say that she was capable of a terrible temper now and then, but she was also one who could readily laugh at herself and blend with everyone. And yes, she was one who accompanied everything with a deep sense of prayer. Apo Madre had no room for discouragement. She just went on and on... and she reaped a harvest of contentment and joy.
Our Gospel today is called the Parable of the Sower. The real lesson we must focus on is not from the type of soil but on the person of the Sower who went on scattering the seeds. In the end, his good disposition gave him a harvest: some thirty-fold, some sixty-fold, some a hundred-fold. Experts who study agriculture in Palestine say these results were miraculous since the average yield with the type of soil in Palestine is 7.5 percent.
Jesus narrated the parable to the first disciples so that they, like Him, should remain optimistic even as they face hardships and challenges in serving God and others.
Different kinds of soils —different types of character, levels of enthusiasm and receptivity, cultural adaptabilities — are encountered in mission. The difference, though, does not just depend on soils. The difference can also be created by the healthy and positive outlook of evangelizers. As many organizational and human resource experts today would put it: Amidst the challenges of work and the environment, one may either be simply reactive or proactive. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
How do you take initial failures and rejections in your work, in your community? To which element of the parable are you more drawn to meditate: the soils, or the indefatigable character of the sower?

Lord, may I be like You who never tire of sowing good work, in season and out of season. Amen.

St. Severa, pray for us.

May others see Jesus in you this Friday.

22 July
Friday

Memorial of Mary Magdalene, disciple of the Lord

ANY WAY

On the first day of the week, Mary of Magdala came to the tomb early in the morning, while it was still dark. – John 20:1

I was disgusted. For almost two years, I had been working on the same project trying to solve what was wrong with this particular product but I couldn’t find a clear lead on what was causing the problem. As the engineer assigned to this, I had to run countless experiments and evaluations, at times having to stay overnight just to make sure the procedures were done correctly. I felt like giving up but I had to do it anyway.
The morning of Sunday after Good Friday must have been hard for Mary Magdalene. The Master is dead, all is lost, the leader gone. Sorrowful and fearful, she got up early in the morning. “Somebody has got to take care of the Lord’s remains,” she must have thought. In spite of the entire gloomy situation, she did it anyway.
The Lord honors the “anyways” that we pursue even when we think it’s senseless to do so. He allowed Mary Magdalene to see angels and be the first to see the resurrected Jesus.
As for me, the Lord honored my “anyways” with a nice promotion but, more than that, growth in my spirit. Ariel Driz ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
What are the “anyways” that are presently in my life? How do I respond to these?

Lord Jesus, open my eyes to see Your hand in every situation in my life. Let me respond well to every situation with love and devotion. Amen.

-------

1st READING
God gives to His people the Ten Commandments so that they can live in the truth of who they are as sons and daughters of God. While the law itself cannot free us from sin, when we allow the power of the Holy Spirit to control our lives we are then able to fulfill the commandments out of love for God. And so we experience the blessings of a life anchored on God’s will for us, thereby avoiding much sorrow, pain and fruitless suffering.

Exodus 20:1-17 (or Song of Songs 3:1-4 or 2 Corinthians 5:14-17)
1 In those days: God delivered all these commandments: 2 “I, the LORD, am your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. 3 You shall not have other gods besides me. 4 You shall not carve idols for yourselves in the shape of anything in the sky above or on the earth below or in the waters beneath the earth; 5 you shall not bow down before them or worship them. For I, the LORD, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishment for their fathers’ wickedness on the children of those who hate me, down to the third and fourth generation; 6 but bestowing mercy down to the thousandth generation, on the children of those who love me and keep my commandments. 7 You shall not take the name of the LORD, your God, in vain. For the LORD will not leave unpunished him who takes his name in vain. 8 Remember to keep holy the sabbath day. 9 Six days you may labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD, your God. No work may be done then either by you, or your son or daughter, or your male or female slave, or your beast, or by the alien who lives with you. 11 In six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them; but on the seventh day he rested. That is why the LORD has blessed the sabbath day and made it holy. 12 Honor your father and your mother, that you may have a long life in the land which the LORD, your God, is giving you. 13 “You shall not kill. 14 You shall not commit adultery. 15 You shall not steal. 16 You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. 17 You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male or female slave, nor his ox or ass, nor anything else that belongs to him.”

P S A L M

Psalm 19:8, 9, 10, 11 (or Psalm 63:2, 3-4, 5-6, 8-9)
R: Lord, you have the words of everlasting life.
7 [8] The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul; the decree of the LORD is trustworthy, giving wisdom to the simple. (R) 8 [9] The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the command of the LORD is clear, enlightening the eye. (R) 9 [10] The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever; the ordinances of the LORD are true, all of them just. (R) 10 [11] They are more precious than gold, than a heap of purest gold; sweeter also than syrup or honey from the comb. (R)

G O S P E L

In the garden of Eden, Eve loses the gift of fellowship with God and is driven out into the wilderness. Now, in another garden, another woman who has suffered greatly from the effects of Eve’s sin, weeps with longing for the Lord of Life who had forgiven her. Jesus appears to her and asks, “For whom are you weeping?” Jesus asks this of us, too. He alone can comfort our hearts and fulfill our deepest yearnings.

ALLELUIA
Tell us, Mary, what did you see on the way? I saw the glory of the risen Christ, I saw his empty tomb.

John 20:1-2, 11-18 (or Matthew 13:18-23)
1 On the first day of the week, Mary of Magdalene came to the tomb early in the morning, while it was still dark, and saw the stone removed from the tomb. 2 So she ran and went to Simon Peter and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and told them, “They have taken the Lord from the tomb, and we don’t know where they put him.” 11 Mary stayed outside the tomb weeping. And as she wept, she bent over into the tomb 12 and saw two angels in white sitting there, one at the head and one at the feet where the Body of Jesus had been. 13 And they said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?” She said to them, “They have taken my Lord, and I don’t know where they laid him.” 14 When she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus there, but did not know it was Jesus. 15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you looking for?” She thought it was the gardener and said to him, “Sir, if you carried him away, tell me where you laid him, and I will take him.” 16 Jesus said to her, “Mary!” She turned and said to him in Hebrew, “Rabbouni,” which means Teacher. 17 Jesus said to her, “Stop holding on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’ ” 18 Mary of Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord,” and what he told her.

my reflections
t h i n k : J esus alone can comfort our hearts and fulfill our deepest yearnings.

------------

APOSTLE OF THE HEART

“Apostle to the Apostles.” This has been the traditional title given to Mary Magdalene since the early Church. Although she did not belong to the important group of “The Twelve,” which is regarded as the formal group of leaders in the early church, Mary Magdalene is reported by the Gospels as the privileged one to whom was entrusted the story of the empty tomb — the story, therefore, of the Resurrection of Jesus. With this, she was the bearer of the glad tidings about the Risen Jesus to the Twelve.
Why did the divine plan favour Mary Magdalene as the “Apostle to the Apostles”? Our Gospel reading for today’s feast underlines a sterling quality of the woman from Magdala — her undeniably strong love for Jesus as her teacher. She called Him “Rabbouni,” which literally means “dearest teacher.” In fact, the Gospel story shows that her love for Jesus is stronger than even death itself! She loved to stay in vigil at the tomb of Jesus. For her, whether Jesus was dead or alive, He remains her “number one.”
That the bearer of the Gospel is a person who loves Jesus is of great importance. It is not enough that one brings the Gospel to others with logic and remarkable reasoning. It is not enough that one proclaims the Gospel to others with brilliant eloquence. What moves people is the heart. Heart talk penetrates, inspires, leaves long-lasting impression and speaks to the heart of the other. Heart talk melts opposition. The language of the heart enables us to speak about our faith with all candidness and conviction.
To speak with love and out of love is effective not only for evangelization but for all other human exchanges and transactions. Even in marketing and business deals, faithful clients are gained not simply with impressive sales presentations and superior products. Many a times, connections and friendships count. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
What is your own unique way of bringing the Good News to others? Honestly, have you been effective with your style? Recall moments when you were able to touch people not so much with your arguments but with your appeal that come straight from the heart.

Lord, give me the courage to speak more boldy, but with love, about my faith with others.

St. Movean, pray for us.

22 July
Friday

Memorial of Mary Magdalene, disciple of the Lord

ANY WAY

On the first day of the week, Mary of Magdala came to the tomb early in the morning, while it was still dark. – John 20:1

I was disgusted. For almost two years, I had been working on the same project trying to solve what was wrong with this particular product but I couldn’t find a clear lead on what was causing the problem. As the engineer assigned to this, I had to run countless experiments and evaluations, at times having to stay overnight just to make sure the procedures were done correctly. I felt like giving up but I had to do it anyway.
The morning of Sunday after Good Friday must have been hard for Mary Magdalene. The Master is dead, all is lost, the leader gone. Sorrowful and fearful, she got up early in the morning. “Somebody has got to take care of the Lord’s remains,” she must have thought. In spite of the entire gloomy situation, she did it anyway.
The Lord honors the “anyways” that we pursue even when we think it’s senseless to do so. He allowed Mary Magdalene to see angels and be the first to see the resurrected Jesus.
As for me, the Lord honored my “anyways” with a nice promotion but, more than that, growth in my spirit. Ariel Driz ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
What are the “anyways” that are presently in my life? How do I respond to these?

Lord Jesus, open my eyes to see Your hand in every situation in my life. Let me respond well to every situation with love and devotion. Amen.

-------

1st READING
God gives to His people the Ten Commandments so that they can live in the truth of who they are as sons and daughters of God. While the law itself cannot free us from sin, when we allow the power of the Holy Spirit to control our lives we are then able to fulfill the commandments out of love for God. And so we experience the blessings of a life anchored on God’s will for us, thereby avoiding much sorrow, pain and fruitless suffering.

Exodus 20:1-17 (or Song of Songs 3:1-4 or 2 Corinthians 5:14-17)
1 In those days: God delivered all these commandments: 2 “I, the LORD, am your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. 3 You shall not have other gods besides me. 4 You shall not carve idols for yourselves in the shape of anything in the sky above or on the earth below or in the waters beneath the earth; 5 you shall not bow down before them or worship them. For I, the LORD, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishment for their fathers’ wickedness on the children of those who hate me, down to the third and fourth generation; 6 but bestowing mercy down to the thousandth generation, on the children of those who love me and keep my commandments. 7 You shall not take the name of the LORD, your God, in vain. For the LORD will not leave unpunished him who takes his name in vain. 8 Remember to keep holy the sabbath day. 9 Six days you may labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD, your God. No work may be done then either by you, or your son or daughter, or your male or female slave, or your beast, or by the alien who lives with you. 11 In six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them; but on the seventh day he rested. That is why the LORD has blessed the sabbath day and made it holy. 12 Honor your father and your mother, that you may have a long life in the land which the LORD, your God, is giving you. 13 “You shall not kill. 14 You shall not commit adultery. 15 You shall not steal. 16 You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. 17 You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male or female slave, nor his ox or ass, nor anything else that belongs to him.”

P S A L M

Psalm 19:8, 9, 10, 11 (or Psalm 63:2, 3-4, 5-6, 8-9)
R: Lord, you have the words of everlasting life.
7 [8] The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul; the decree of the LORD is trustworthy, giving wisdom to the simple. (R) 8 [9] The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the command of the LORD is clear, enlightening the eye. (R) 9 [10] The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever; the ordinances of the LORD are true, all of them just. (R) 10 [11] They are more precious than gold, than a heap of purest gold; sweeter also than syrup or honey from the comb. (R)

G O S P E L

In the garden of Eden, Eve loses the gift of fellowship with God and is driven out into the wilderness. Now, in another garden, another woman who has suffered greatly from the effects of Eve’s sin, weeps with longing for the Lord of Life who had forgiven her. Jesus appears to her and asks, “For whom are you weeping?” Jesus asks this of us, too. He alone can comfort our hearts and fulfill our deepest yearnings.

ALLELUIA
Tell us, Mary, what did you see on the way? I saw the glory of the risen Christ, I saw his empty tomb.

John 20:1-2, 11-18 (or Matthew 13:18-23)
1 On the first day of the week, Mary of Magdalene came to the tomb early in the morning, while it was still dark, and saw the stone removed from the tomb. 2 So she ran and went to Simon Peter and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and told them, “They have taken the Lord from the tomb, and we don’t know where they put him.” 11 Mary stayed outside the tomb weeping. And as she wept, she bent over into the tomb 12 and saw two angels in white sitting there, one at the head and one at the feet where the Body of Jesus had been. 13 And they said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?” She said to them, “They have taken my Lord, and I don’t know where they laid him.” 14 When she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus there, but did not know it was Jesus. 15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you looking for?” She thought it was the gardener and said to him, “Sir, if you carried him away, tell me where you laid him, and I will take him.” 16 Jesus said to her, “Mary!” She turned and said to him in Hebrew, “Rabbouni,” which means Teacher. 17 Jesus said to her, “Stop holding on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’ ” 18 Mary of Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord,” and what he told her.

my reflections
t h i n k : J esus alone can comfort our hearts and fulfill our deepest yearnings.

------------

APOSTLE OF THE HEART

“Apostle to the Apostles.” This has been the traditional title given to Mary Magdalene since the early Church. Although she did not belong to the important group of “The Twelve,” which is regarded as the formal group of leaders in the early church, Mary Magdalene is reported by the Gospels as the privileged one to whom was entrusted the story of the empty tomb — the story, therefore, of the Resurrection of Jesus. With this, she was the bearer of the glad tidings about the Risen Jesus to the Twelve.
Why did the divine plan favour Mary Magdalene as the “Apostle to the Apostles”? Our Gospel reading for today’s feast underlines a sterling quality of the woman from Magdala — her undeniably strong love for Jesus as her teacher. She called Him “Rabbouni,” which literally means “dearest teacher.” In fact, the Gospel story shows that her love for Jesus is stronger than even death itself! She loved to stay in vigil at the tomb of Jesus. For her, whether Jesus was dead or alive, He remains her “number one.”
That the bearer of the Gospel is a person who loves Jesus is of great importance. It is not enough that one brings the Gospel to others with logic and remarkable reasoning. It is not enough that one proclaims the Gospel to others with brilliant eloquence. What moves people is the heart. Heart talk penetrates, inspires, leaves long-lasting impression and speaks to the heart of the other. Heart talk melts opposition. The language of the heart enables us to speak about our faith with all candidness and conviction.
To speak with love and out of love is effective not only for evangelization but for all other human exchanges and transactions. Even in marketing and business deals, faithful clients are gained not simply with impressive sales presentations and superior products. Many a times, connections and friendships count. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
What is your own unique way of bringing the Good News to others? Honestly, have you been effective with your style? Recall moments when you were able to touch people not so much with your arguments but with your appeal that come straight from the heart.

Lord, give me the courage to speak more boldy, but with love, about my faith with others.

St. Movean, pray for us.

Thank you.

Each Sunday is a Mini-Easter. Show that Jesus is alive today!

24 July
Sunday

the great pearl

When he finds a pearl of great price, he goes and sells all that he has and buys it. – Matthew 13:46

Mang Manding is a poor farmer tilling land that doesn’t belong to him. One day, he hits something hard on the ground. He digs up the dirt and finds a treasure chest. It’s filled with gold! He nervously scans the horizon to see if anybody had seen him. Then he re-buries the chest and secretly resolves to buy the land so he can claim the treasure as his own.
He goes home and sells his only carabao. He doesn’t tell his wife of his discovery but says that their kids will have to stop schooling. He cuts off their electricity and water. He goes so far as saying that they’ll be down to eating only one meal a day.
His family thinks he’s gone nuts. But Mang Manding doesn’t care. He knows that the sacrifices they’re making is nothing compared to the treasure he has found.
You and I are Mang Manding. We give everything we have for a treasure we’ve found. Some give their lives for a career that will end when they’re 60. Others give their all to obtain fleeting fame. Still others will spend their energies building earthly monuments that will fade.
Jesus is the only Treasure worth our everything. Are you giving your all for Him? Rissa Singson-Kawpeng ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:21)

Lord, You are my Pearl of Great Price. I give my all for You.

-------------

1st READING
God appears to King Solomon at the commencement of his reign and offers him one request, like a wish we might make at a birthday party. What will he ask for? This is his big chance to get riches, fame, power and glory for himself. Instead Solomon asks for wisdom to rule the people of God right. We, too, need wisdom to know how to best conduct our lives. St. James tells us that if we lack wisdom we should ask God for it and He will grant it to us.

1Kings 3:5, 7-12
5 The LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream at night. God said, “Ask something of me and I will give it to you.” Solomon answered: 7 “O LORD, my God, you have made me, your servant, king to succeed my father David; but I am a mere youth, not knowing at all how to act. 8 I serve you in the midst of the people whom you have chosen, a people so vast that it cannot be numbered or counted. 9 Give your servant, therefore, an understanding heart to judge your people and to distinguish right from wrong. For who is able to govern this vast people of yours?” 10 The LORD was pleased that Solomon made this request. 11 So God said to him: “Because you have asked for this — not for a long life for yourself, nor for riches, nor for the life of your enemies, but for understanding so that you may know what is right — 12 I do as you requested. I give you a heart so wise and understanding that there has never been anyone like you up to now, and after you there will come no one to equal you.”

P S A L M

Psalms 119:57, 72, 76-77, 127-128, 129-130
R: Lord, I love your commands.
57 I have said, O LORD, that my part is to keep your words. 72 The law of your mouth is to me more precious than thousands of gold and silver pieces. (R) 76 Let your kindness comfort me according to your promise to your servants. 77 Let your compassion come to me that I may live, for your law is my delight. (R) 127 For I love your command more than gold, however fine. 128 For in all your precepts I go forward; every false way I hate. (R) 129 Wonderful are your decrees; therefore I observe them. 130 The revelation of your words sheds light, giving understanding to the simple. (R)

2nd READING
God has predestined us to be made in the perfect image of His Son Jesus. That is God’s goal and purpose for our lives. Consequently, God, by His infinite power, is able to order all the events of our lives to attain this end.

Romans 8:28-30
28 Brothers and sisters: We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose. 29 For those he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, so that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those he predestined he also called; and those he called he also justified; and those he justified he also glorified.

G O S P E L

The Kingdom of God according to Jesus is the greatest gift and treasure that we can attain in this life. Even if we become as rich as Bill Gates but do not have this gift, we would still be poor. To have the Kingdom of God is to be possessed and filled with the love of God, which is a transforming fire that sets ablaze our whole lives.

ALLELUIA
Blessed are you Father, Lord of heaven and earth; for you have revealed to little ones the mysteries of the kingdom.

Matthew 13:44-52
44 Jesus said to his disciples: “The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure buried in a field, which a person finds and hides again, and out of joy goes
and sells all that he has and buys that field. 45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for fine pearls. 46 When he finds a pearl of great price, he goes and sells all that he has and buys it. 47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net thrown into the sea, which collects fish of every kind. 48 When it is full they haul it ashore and sit down to put what is good into buckets. What is bad they throw away. 49 Thus it will be at the end of the age. The angels will go out and separate the wicked from the righteous 50 and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth. 51 Do you understand all these things?” They answered, “Yes.” 52 And he replied, “Then every scribe who has been instructed in the kingdom of heaven is like the head of a household who brings from his storeroom both the new and the old.”

my reflections
t h i n k : To have the Kingdom of God is to be possessed and filled with the love of God, which is a transforming fire that sets ablaze our whole lives.

-------------

NO TWO LOVE STORIES ARE THE SAME

Three years after my ordination to the priesthood in 1988, I began to get involved in the Marriage Encounter Weekend. This experience equipped me with tools for conflict handling and resolution. Over the years, I realized that no two relationships are the same and every love story is unique.
Jesus brings down to the level of His audience His teaching about the Kingdom of God which, by the way, is all about the “reign of God” in our lives. He used parables to illustrate this and the entire 13th chapter of Matthew is devoted to this. It is interesting to note that the treasures have varied stories. The treasure hidden in the field was a surprise for the person who found it. The pearl of great price was one that came to the merchant’s possession through his diligent and deliberate search for something valuable. The marvelous catch of fish was a blessing enjoyed by the fisherman through a combination of his untiring efforts and Divine Providence. Overall, Jesus was driving home the point that our stories of faith and love for God defy stereotypes. This is so because we, humans, are not only unique, but because God Himself is a God of all possibilities.
When I was young, my mother gave me an illustrated book on the lives of saints. I first fell in love with the beautiful pictures of the Apostles, martyrs, virgins, religious priests and nuns who have been officially recognized by the Church as models of holiness. As I read their lives, I marveled at how they all came to one common point: the saintly witness. They were men and women who had their own lives — some serene, some colorful and tumultuous, and so on — but each one had a personal encounter with God who changed them and made them fall in love with Him. St. Augustine, one of my favorites, led a life of pleasure and decadence until God transformed him. Later, in his autobiography entitled Confessions, he wrote, “Oh late have I loved Thee, Ancient Beauty ever new.”Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
To what will you liken your story of faith and love for God? Based on your walk with God, try to make your own parable about the Kingdom of God.

Lord, help me to trust that my walk with You is unique and what’s important is that You are the one leading the way.

St. Lewina, pray for us.

Don't be discouraged! God will be with you through this week.

July
Monday

Feast of St. James, Apostle
THE REWARD OF SERVICE

“Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant.” – Matthew 20:26

During college, after a grueling ROTC training, I went to my friend’s boarding house to ransack his kitchen. But I found nothing to eat! My dejected friend uttered, “It’s my birthday today and I have nothing to eat, nothing to spend for my party. My parents failed to deposit money into my
savings account.”
My heart melted. I ran to the store, bought a can of sardines, returned to his house and cooked him a hot meal. “Lunch is served, Monsieur!”
At the first spoonful, he burst into tears. “Don’t you know we’re very rich?” he cried. I said, “Wow, you must be very happy!” He replied, “I am now. Because of what you did for me, my birthday had meaning!”
I thought it was the end of the melodrama. I was wrong. His parents treated me to a point-at-what-you-like-and- I’ll-pay type of shopping, all-expense paid vacation galore to their villa and rubber farm in Cagayan de Oro and sent me home with presents for my family.
This was my grand reward for a can of sardines and a heart of service! God is calling us to do the same. Service is its own reward.Obet Cabrillas ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Do you want to be great? Serve without expecting anything in return.

Lord, You did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give Your life as a ransom for many. May I always follow in Your footsteps.

-------------

1st READING

St. Paul describes the paradoxes of the Christian life. Even though he was under great trials and suffered greatly for his faith and witness to Jesus, he knew that the mighty power of Christ is within him, sustaining him and working through him. Death, pain and suffering for the Christian are always to be seen through the lens of Jesus’ death and resurrection so that death gives way to new life, suffering to joy, and pain to fruitfulness.

2 Corinthians 4:7-15
7 Brothers and sisters: We hold this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing power may be of God and not from us. 8 We are afflicted in every way, but not constrained; perplexed, but not driven to despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed; 10 always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our body. 11 For we who live are constantly being given up to death for the sake of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may be manifested in our mortal flesh. 12 So death is at work in us, but life in you. 13 Since, then, we have the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, “I believed, therefore I spoke,” we too believe and therefore speak, 14 knowing that the one who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and place us with you in his presence. 15 Everything indeed is for you, so that the grace bestowed in abundance on more and more people may cause the thanksgiving to overflow for the glory of God.

P S A L M

Psalms 126:1-2, 2-3, 4-5, 6
R: Those who sow in tears shall reap rejoicing.
1 When the LORD brought back the captives of Zion, we were like men dreaming. 2 Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with rejoicing. (R) Then they said among the nations, “The LORD has done great things for them.” 3 The LORD has done great things for us; we are glad indeed. (R) 4 Restore our fortunes, O LORD, like the torrents in the southern desert. 5 Those that sow in tears shall reap rejoicing. (R) 6 Although they go forth weeping, carrying the seed to be sown, they shall come back rejoicing, carrying their sheaves. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus does not condemn James and John for their desire to have a high place in His kingdom but puts clearly before them the cost of their aspiration. By His own example and life, Jesus shows to all the Apostles that true greatness is found in humble and loving service of others, particularly service that goes unnoticed and unappreciated.

ALLELUIA
I chose you from the world to go and bear fruit that will last, says the Lord.

Matthew 20:20-28
20 The mother of the sons of Zebedee approached Jesus with her sons and did him homage, wishing to ask him for something. 21 He said to her, “What do you wish?” She answered him, “Command that these two sons of mine sit, one at your right and the other at your left, in your kingdom.” 22 Jesus said in reply, “You do not know what you are asking. Can you drink the cup that I am going to drink?” They said to him, “We can.” 23 He replied, “My chalice you will indeed drink, but to sit at my right and at my left, this is not mine to give but is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.” 24 When the ten heard this, they became indignant at the two brothers. 25 But Jesus summoned them and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and the great ones make their authority over them felt. 26 But it shall not be so among you. Rather, whoever wishes to be great among you shall be your servant; 27 whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave. 28 Just so, the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

my reflections
t h i n k : True greatness is found in humble and loving service of others, particularly service that goes unnoticed and unappreciated.

------------

MOTHERS AND OUR VOCATION STORIES

The story of James and John in our Gospel today is an interesting account about their mother’s intervention with Jesus. It reminds me of my own vocation story. My mother played a great role in motivating me. When I was young, my mother used to bring me along to her devotional practices.
Every Sunday, she and Papa would lead us to church in our Sunday’s best. And every night, she would gather the whole family around our altar for the recitation of the rosary. When I was of age to be admitted as an altar server, she and my godmother introduced me to the kind Belgian priests who were then administering the Parish of San Fernando de Dilao. I then moved on to become a lector, a commentator and even a song leader for the Masses.
I believe that the seed of my vocation came from my mother. I love to repeat in my sharings: “Perhaps if there was an opportunity for women to train inside the seminary as aspirants to the ministry, my mother would have been among the first applicants!” She, more than my father, had the greater desire for me to be a priest. When I was finally ordained in April 3, 1988, my mama was most touched. She cried more than any of us in the family. The day was the answer to her many prayers.
While we thank the Lord God for fathers who provide for our families and who give our families a sense of stability, we do acknowledge that, for the greater number of us, our mothers formed our hearts, souls and spirits. Our mothers greatly molded the gentler side of our life orientation.
Like the mother of James and John, our mothers could have been the ones who really encouraged us into certain advocacy and values that we now find deeply embedded in us. Of course, like the mother of James and John, our mothers may at times come across as too strong and emphatic about their convictions. But we are sure of one thing: Their prayers are always for our well-being and for our success.
So, today, let us say, “Hooray” for mothers!Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Recall the goodness of life that came to you through your mother. Spend some time praying for the intentions of your mother.

Lord Jesus, help me to respect, obey and take care of my mother as You would want me to, given my state of life.

St. Cucuphas, pray for us.

This Tuesday, never forget how important you are to God

26 July
Tuesday

Memorial of Sts. Joachim and Anne, parents of the Virgin Mary
BLESSED COUPLE

Their wealth remains in their families, their heritage with their descendants. – Sirach 44:11

On October 21, 2001, Luigi and Maria Beltrame Quattrocchi became the first married couple beatified by Pope John Paul II.
The Italian couple lived in Rome during the first half of the 20th century. Luigi was a lawyer and civil servant. Maria was devoted to the family while being involved in several charitable missions.
As a family, they attended daily Mass. Every evening, they prayed the rosary and consecrated their family to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. It is no wonder then that their sons became priests, a daughter became a Benedictine nun, and the youngest dedicated herself to caring for her parents, then for her brother.
Many times, marriage makes us think about romantic love and living happily ever after. We fail to remember the true mission of the family: the awesome task of collaborating with God in procreation, the call to holiness as a couple, and the demand of total dedication to the children, to teach and guide them to discover God’s plan for their lives.
May the example of Blessed Luigi and Maria inspire us to focus on our families in our efforts to serve God. Cecil Lim ([email protected])

REFLECTION:
“The path of holiness, lived together as a couple, is possible, beautiful, extraordinarily fruitful and fundamental for the good of the family, the Church and society.” (Pope John Paul II)

Lord, grant that our family will become a true shrine of Your life and love.

-------------

1st READING

Contrary to what many people think, God in the Old Testament reveals Himself as a God who is full of mercy and compassion, willing to forgive and to bless for a thousand generations. The problem is not God’s willingness to forgive but our willingness to admit our sins and seek His mercy.

Exodus 33:7-11; 34:5-9, 28 (or Sirach 44:1, 10-15)
7 The tent, which was called the meeting tent, Moses used to pitch at some distance away, outside the camp. Anyone who wished to consult the LORD would go to this meeting tent outside the camp. 8 Whenever Moses went out to the tent, the people would all rise and stand at the entrance of their own tents, watching Moses until he entered the tent. 9 As Moses entered the tent, the column of cloud would come down and stand at its entrance while the LORD spoke with Moses. 10 On seeing the column of cloud stand at the entrance of the tent, all the people would rise and worship at the entrance of their own tents. 11 The LORD used to speak to Moses face to face, as one man speaks to another. Moses would then return to the camp, but his young assistant, Joshua, son of Nun, would not move out of the tent. 34: 5 Moses stood there with the LORD and proclaimed his name, “LORD.” 6 Thus the LORD passed before him and cried out, “The LORD, the LORD, a merciful and gracious God, slow to anger and rich in kindness and fidelity, 7 continuing his kindness for a thousand generations, and forgiving wickedness and crime and sin; yet not declaring the guilty guiltless, but punishing children and grandchildren to the third and fourth generation for their fathers’ wickedness!” 8 Moses at once bowed down to the ground in worship. 9 Then he said, “If I find favor with you, O Lord, do come along in our company. This is indeed a stiff-necked people; yet pardon our wickedness and sins, and receive us as your own.” 28 So Moses stayed there with the LORD for forty days and forty nights, without eating any food or drinking any water, and he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

P S A L M

Psalm 103:6-7, 8-9, 10-11, 12-13 (or Psalms 132:11, 13-14, 17-18)
R: The Lord is kind and merciful.
6 The LORD secures justice and the rights of all the oppressed. 7 He has made known his ways to Moses, and his deeds to the children of Israel. (R) 8 Merciful and gracious is the LORD, slow to anger and abounding in kindness. 9 He will not always chide, nor does he keep his wrath forever. (R) 10 Not according to our sins does he deal with us, nor does he requite us according to our crimes. 11 For as the heavens are high above the earth, so surpassing is his kindness toward those who fear him. (R) 12 As far as the east is from the west, so far has he put our transgressions from us. 13 As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him. (R)

G O S P E L

In this parable of the seed, Jesus shows that the world is not Satan’s domain but that of God. The evil seed is sown in the Kingdom and is removed at the end of time by the angels. Here we see that Satan is the usurper of God’s reign and has no rightful place in this world, which is God’s.

ALLELUIA
The seed is the word of God, Christ is the sower; all who come to Him will live forever.

Matthew 13:36-43 (or Matthew 13:16-17)
36 Jesus dismissed the crowd and went into the house. His disciples approached him and said, “Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field.” 37 He said in reply, “He who sows good seed is the Son of Man, 38 the field is the world, the good seed the children of the kingdom. The weeds are the children of the evil one, 39 and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels. 40 Just as weeds are collected and burned [up] with fire, so will it be at the end of the age. 41 The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will collect out of his kingdom all who cause others to sin and all evildoers. 42 They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth. 43 Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears ought to hear.”

my reflections
t h i n k : The problem is not God’s willingness to forgive but our willingness to admit our sins and seek His mercy.

---------------

GOD ’S GOODNESS AT WORK

It is unfortunate that we do not have official biblical materials on the lives of members of the human family of Jesus. The Gospel writers, working under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, simply wrote about Jesus, His person and His ministry, with some related mention about Joseph and Mary. Perhaps this is the Holy Spirit’s way of keeping our faith focused on the essential: Jesus.
As we honor today Sts. Joachim and Anne, parents of the Blessed Virgin Mary and grandparents of Jesus, we can however apply the short Gospel passage on Joachim and Anne by accommodation. Joachim and Anne were not just privileged in the sense that it was from their bloodline that the Incarnate Jesus came. They were blessed with a long life — long enough to witness the fulfillment of the prophecies about the coming Messiah, long enough to have held Jesus in their arms, as did Simeon in the Temple.
I remember two related experiences: First, I used to hear my maternal grandmother mention to our relatives and friends that part of her daily intercession before God is to ask for the blessing of being able to live long enough to see us, children of her only offspring, graduate college. Second, I recall that whenever I solemnize a wedding, one beautiful part of the nuptial blessing is to ask God to let the newly-wedded couple “live to see their children, and their children’s children... in their happy old age.”
Our Gospel proclamation makes us realize: long life and happy old age are not simply prayer requests for oneself. To live long happily is a grace to see God alive and at work in our descendants. To live long and age graciously is to be given the grace to praise and worship God concretely for all His goodness to one’s family. To live long and age graciously is to be blessed with a vocation to lead one’s family to deeper spirituality and prayer. So, start invoking this blessing now — for yourself and for your family.Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
What are your earnest prayers for yourself and the rest of your family?

Father God, I pray for my family. May all of us be an instrument to bring one another closer to You. Amen.

St. Valens, pray for us.

His light is shining on you this Wednesday.

27 July
Wednesday

Never Let Go

“The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure buried in a field, which a person finds and hides again, and out of joy goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.” – Matthew 13:44

Once I set my eyes on her, nothing could stop me.
I sent her flowers, chocolates, letters, lunch, buko juice — everything. I even “interviewed” her best friend whom I didn’t know. I “employed” and implored those around her to back me up and give a good word or two.
She turned me down three times. Many told me to give up. It felt like the world crumbled but I kept on pursuing her. Her name is Gina, the love of my life. That was more than a decade ago. Despite the difficulties, I won her heart. In fact, we just celebrated our 14th year as husband and
wife last April.
Like a resolute suitor who has found his great love, our resolve to follow God must be the same, nay more. For once we find the joy that He gives, all else pales. Despite failures and problems and sins, we must be doggedly determined to dwell in His presence, to bask in His love.
We must be ready to give up everything for Him, our Treasure of treasures. Jun Asis ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
What else do I have to give up for God?

Lord, I offer my life to You. I have found You and I will hold on to You. Hold me and never let me go. Amen.

------------

1st READING
Paul contrasts this glory that shone on the face of Moses with the glory that will be ours as we gaze at the face of Christ. Moses’ glory faded while ours will grow stronger. His was the glory of the Old Covenant, which failed to save; ours is the glory of the Eternal Son who triumphed over Satan and all his realm. When we gaze on Jesus in adoration, our faces will begin to shine.

Exodus 34:29-35
29 As Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the commandments in his hands, he did not know that the skin of his face had become radiant while he conversed with the LORD. 30 When Aaron, then, and the other children of Israel saw Moses and noticed how radiant the skin of his face had become, they were afraid to come near him. 31 Only after Moses called to them did Aaron and all the rulers of the community come back to him. Moses then spoke to them. 32 Later on, all the Israelites came up to him, and he enjoined on them all that the LORD had told him on Mount Sinai. 33 When he finished speaking with them, he put a veil over his face. 34 Whenever Moses entered the presence of the LORD to converse with him, he removed the veil until he came out again. On coming out, he would tell the Israelites all that had been commanded. 35 Then the children of Israel would see that the skin of Moses’ face was radiant; so he would again put the veil over his face until he went in to converse with the LORD.

P S A L M

Psalms 99:5, 6, 7, 9
R: Holy is the Lord our God.
5 Extol the LORD, our God, and worship at his footstool; holy is he! (R) 6 Moses and Aaron were among his priests, and Samuel, among those who called upon his name; they called upon the LORD, and he answered them. (R) 7 From the pillar of cloud he spoke to them; they heard his decrees and the law he gave them. (R) 9 Extol the LORD, our God, and worship at his holy mountain; for holy is the LORD, our God. (R)

G O S P E L

People who collect rare items, such as stamps, coins or art works, are always on the lookout for something special, something of great rarity and value. At auction houses, huge sums of money are paid for great art works because they are so prized. Jesus tells us in this parable that the greatest prize and treasure that we can attain in this life is the Kingdom of God and, if need be, we should sell all we have in order not to miss out on all that it offers us.

ALLELUIA
I call you my friends, says the Lord, for I have made known to you all that the Father has told me.

Matthew 13:44-46
44 Jesus said to his disciples: “The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure buried in a field, which a person finds and hides again, and out of joy goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. 45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for fine pearls. 46 When he finds a pearl of great price, he goes and sells all that he has and buys it.”

my reflections
t h i n k : When we gaze on Jesus in adoration, our faces will begin to shine.

------------

MANY WAYS TO ONE GOD

I was a member of one of our choirs at the Paco Catholic School when I was a young student. One piece that we had to master was a song entitled “One God.” Part of the lyrics of the song goes: “Many the ways, all of us pray to one God; many the paths winding their way to one God...
One Father, loving each the same.” These words ring loudly in me as I reflect on the two parables about the Kingdom of God in today’s Gospel.
The first parable about the buried treasure highlights how God’s reign and friendship can come to someone in the midst of other preoccupations in life. The stories of a good number of the apostles illustrate the parable. These men encountered the greatest treasure in their lives — Jesus calling them — while they were engaged with their trades. The second parable, which likens God’s Kingdom to a merchant’s search for the best pearl, makes us realize that there are occasions when the treasure is found through a quest.
Whichever way the Lord God chooses to reveal His reign and friendship to us, it is important that we are receptive to the work of His spirit. More importantly, we have to know how to yield to God when He reveals His plan to us. This is usually where the struggle is — in giving our unconditional “yes” to the Lord.
The two parables teach us that the Kingdom of God demands an exchange. The man who accidentally discovered the hidden treasure in the field had to go home and sell all that he had in order to buy the field. The merchant engaged in the search for fine pearls also had to go and sell all his other pearls and gems so that he could buy and possess the pearl of the great price.
When we discover the path to God, we need to make a choice — one choice among many. The hardest choice is a choice among so many goods. Surely, the man’s and the merchant’s other possessions that they had to sell were “good things.” How ready are we to walk with God and follow the path He has chosen for us? Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Which of the two parables today speak more about your own experience with God and with His plans in your life? Are you enjoying your life with God? What is your secret?

Lord God, give me the courage to say “yes” to Your call for my life. And when I have said my “yes,” help me fulfill it to the best that I can. Amen.

Blessed Titus Brandsma, pray for us.

Never lose sight of Jesus this Thursday.

28 July
Thursday

THE PROUD AND THE HUMBLE

Moses did everything just as the Lord had commanded. – Exodus 40:16

Freddie, a veteran pair of scissors, was boasting to Gary, the new scissors in their parlor, “I’m the best scissors! I can cut beautifully! Customers are always satisfied!” Gary was just quiet.
A customer came in. The hairstylist picked up Freddie and started cutting hair. Freddie was so proud of himself that he would cut as he thought fit. This gave the hairstylist a hard time. It came to a point that the hairstylist put down Freddie and picked up Gary to continue cutting hair.
Gary let the hand of the hairstylist move and use him the way he wanted. The result? A satisfied and smiling customer! Gary knew one thing: the stylist is his master. Without him he can’t do the job right, so he does as the stylist commands. Which one do you want to be as you live your life? The proud Freddie or the humble Gary?
God is our Maker and Master. Without Him and His Wisdom, we can’t live our life with satisfactory results. Like Gary, we should do just as God commands us in living our life. Ma. Luisa A. De la Cruz ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
What areas of your life do you need to surrender to God so He can work on them?

Dearest God, here I am. Change my heart and use me as You desire.

------------

1st READING

The cloud that hovered over the tent of dwelling was the Sheikina glory cloud of God and was a visible sign of His presence. Only when this cloud lifted did the people pack up camp and move on. We, too, should be aware of God’s dwelling with us and be attentive to the time God wants us to move on.

Exodus 40:16-21, 34-38
16 Moses did exactly as the LORD had commanded him. 17 On the first day of the first month of the second year the Dwelling was erected. 18 It was Moses who erected the Dwelling. He placed its pedestals, set up its boards, put in its bars, and set up its columns. 19 He spread the tent over the Dwelling and put the covering on top of the tent, as the LORD had commanded him. 20 He took the commandments and put them in the ark; he placed poles alongside the ark and set the propitiatory upon it. 21 He brought the ark into the Dwelling and hung the curtain veil, thus screening off the ark of the commandments, as the LORD had commanded him. 34 Then the cloud covered the meeting tent, and the glory of the LORD filled the Dwelling. 35 Moses could not enter the meeting tent, because the cloud settled down upon it and the glory of the LORD filled the Dwelling. 36 Whenever the cloud rose from the Dwelling, the Israelites would set out on their journey. 37 But if the cloud did not lift, they would not go forward; only when it lifted did they go forward. 38 In the daytime the cloud of the LORD was seen over the Dwelling; whereas at night, fire was seen in the cloud by the whole house of Israel in all the stages of their journey.

P S A L M

Psalms 84:3, 4, 5-6, 8, 11
R: How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord, mighty God!
2 [3] My soul yearns and pines for the courts of the LORD. My heart and my flesh cry out for the living God. (R) 3 [4] Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow a nest in which she puts her young — your altars, O LORD of hosts, my king and my God! (R) 4 [5] Blessed they who dwell in your house! Continually they praise you. 5 [6] Blessed the men whose strength you are! 7 [8] They go from strength to strength. (R) 10 [11] I had rather one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I had rather lie at the threshold of the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (R)

G O S P E L

In this parable we can see how God wants to include everyone in His Kingdom. The net is cast out to catch all the fish but some are found unsuitable and are thrown back to the sea. Being aware that one day we will all face the judgment seat of Christ is a good reminder for us to avoid sin and strive to grow in holiness.

ALLELUIA
Open our hearts, O Lord, to listen to the words of your Son.

Matthew 13:47-53
47 Jesus said to the disciples: “The kingdom of heaven is like a net thrown into the sea, which collects fish of every kind. 48 When it is full they haul it ashore and sit down to put what is good into buckets. What is bad they throw away. 49 Thus it will be at the end of the age. The angels will go out and separate the wicked from the righteous 50 and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth. 51 Do you understand all these things?” They answered, “Yes.” 52 And he replied, “Then every scribe who has been instructed in the kingdom of heaven is like the head of a household who brings from his storeroom both the new and the old.” 53 When Jesus finished these parables, he went away from there.

my reflections
think: Being aware that one day we will all face the judgment seat of Christ is a good reminder for us to avoid sin and strive to grow in holiness.

----------

HE WANTS THE BEST FOR EVERYONE

I was assigned to be part of the team of formators for the seminary when I was a young priest. At the start of every school year, we would pray fervently that our vocations promoter would find a good number of young men who were interested in training in the seminary and had the calling. But at the end of every school year, we’d find ourselves sifting through those who have gone through the seminary formation with us and making tough decisions on whom to re-admit into the next level of training and whom to advise to go out.
Today’s Gospel makes me realize that this routine in the seminary is a microcosm of God’s work of building His Kingdom. He loves to embrace and welcome all into His “net.” However, in the end, there is also a need for evaluation and judgment. Our desire for quantity must not blind us from considering quality.
The wisdom in Jesus’ parable should be a good guide in our effort to build up our parishes, renewal groups, marriage encounter communities and so on. Much as we want to involve everyone, we also have to balance the number of members with the quality of those whom we invite into the community. The following considerations could help us:
1. Invite and retain people who can share and further our mission and vision. Persons who are convinced of the community’s vision-mission and who have the human, spiritual and material ability to work for it can take on the task of shepherding the community in the future.
2. Discern who can be leaders and those who are committed workers. Be realistic about your expectations of people based on their aptitude, personality and resources. Even St. Thomas Aquinas preached, “God’s grace builds on nature.” Community life is like the body where there are different parts with different competencies.
3. To be realistic is an act of charity. Joy comes with fulfillment; fulfillment can only be achieved according to what God has decreed. Let us not raise false hopes in others. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Pray for the grace to combine being frank and being gentle in dealing with others, especially in your community and ministry.

Father of the Harvest, send workers to Your Kingdom.

St. Peregrinus, pray for us.

July
Friday

Memorial of St. Martha, disciple of the Lord

daily nourishment

“But only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” – Luke 10:42

My first Bible was a gift given by my nephew Ton Sison during my Life in the Spirit Seminar (LSS). He wrote a short note on it, “But the word of the Lord endures forever…” (1 Peter 1:25). That turned out to be prophetic. I never expected that Ton’s small gift would have a big impact on my life and would change me for good.
The Bible really meant nothing at first and was just part of the bag of LSS goodies given by friends and family. But the morning after my LSS, as I opened my Bible and looked through the book of John, I was captivated and enthralled by the Word of God. That was 17 years ago and I have never stopped reading the Bible since.
It is now ingrained in me as a regular habit to start my mornings with Scriptural readings to guide me throughout the day.
Can you imagine how life will be without food and water for our bodies? The same is true for our soul and spirit. I find it unthinkable to live a day without any nourishment from the Word of God. Mari Sison-Garcia ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
“Not by bread alone does man live, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of God” (Deuteronomy 8:3).

Lord, I thank You for Your Word that serves as my guidepost each day.

--------------

1st READING
The sacrifices and offerings in the Old Testament remind the people that all that they have is a gift from God and it is to Him that they owe their first allegiance. God wanted the people to have a humble acceptance that He was the source of all things lest they become self-sufficient, proud and arrogant and forget God and His goodness.

Leviticus 23:1, 4-11, 15-16, 27, 34-37 (or 1John 4:7-16)
1 The LORD said to Moses, 4 “These are the festivals of the LORD which you shall celebrate at their proper time with a sacred assembly. 5 The Passover of the LORD falls on the fourteenth day of the first month, at the evening twilight. 6 The fifteenth day of this month is the LORD’s feast of Unleavened Bread. For seven days you shall eat unleavened bread. 7 On the first of these days you shall hold a sacred assembly and do no sort of work. 8 On each of the seven days you shall offer an oblation to the LORD. Then on the seventh day you shall again hold a sacred assembly and do no sort of work.” 9 The LORD said to Moses, 10 “Speak to the children of Israel and tell them: When you come into the land which I am giving you, and reap your harvest, you shall bring a sheaf of the first fruits of your harvest to the priest, 11 who shall wave the sheaf before the LORD that it may be acceptable for you. On the day after the sabbath the priest shall do this. 15 Beginning with the day after the sabbath, the day on which you bring the wave-offering sheaf, you shall count seven full weeks, 16 and then on the day after the seventh week, the fiftieth day, you shall present the new cereal offering to the LORD. 27 The tenth of this seventh month is the Day of Atonement, when you shall hold a sacred assembly and mortify yourselves and offer an oblation to the LORD. 34 The fifteenth day of this seventh month is the LORD’s feast of Booths, which shall continue for seven days. 35 On the first day there shall be a sacred assembly, and you shall do no sort of work. 36 For seven days you shall offer an oblation to the LORD, and on the eighth day you shall again hold a sacred assembly and offer an oblation to the LORD. On that solemn closing you shall do no sort of work. 37 These, therefore, are the festivals of the LORD on which you shall proclaim a sacred assembly, and offer as an oblation to the LORD burnt offerings and cereal offerings, sacrifices and libations, as prescribed for each day,”

P S A L M
Psalm 81:3-4, 5-6, 10-11 (or Psalms 34:2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9, 10-11)
R: Sing with joy to God our help.
2 [3] Take up a melody, and sound the timbrel, the pleasant harp and the lyre. 3 [4] Blow the trumpet at the new moon, at the full moon, on our solemn feast. (R) 4 [5] For it is a statute in Israel, an ordinance of the God of Jacob, 5 [6] who made it a decree for Joseph when he came forth from the land of Egypt. (R) 9 [10] There shall be no strange god among you nor shall you worship any alien god. 10 [11] I, the LORD, am your God who led you forth from the land of Egypt. (R)

G O S P E L

Martha was the head of the household that Jesus visited with His disciples. No doubt she felt a huge responsibility to make sure all was just right for her esteemed guests. Jesus was not criticizing Martha for her loving service but was trying to help her find the right balance between service and prayer in her life. We should not neglect rightful service to our families in order to pray.

ALLELUIA
The word of the Lord remains forever; this is the word that has been proclaimed to you.

John 11:19-27 (or Matthew 13:54-58, or Luke 10:38-42)
19 Many of the Jews had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them about their brother. [Lazarus, who had died] 20 When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went to meet him; but Mary sat at home. 21 Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But even now I know that whatever you ask of God, God will give you.” 23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise.” 24 Martha said to him, “I know he will rise, in the resurrection on the last day.” 25 Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life; whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?” 27 She said to him, “Yes, Lord. I have come to believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, the one who is coming into the world.”

my reflections
t h in k : All that we have is a gift from God and it is to Him that we owe our first allegiance.

--------------

THE WORRIER is A SAINT

We have often been unkind to Martha, the saint whose feast we commemorate today. Preachers have the tendency to generate more sympathy and admiration for her younger sister, Mary, who opted to sit and listen to Jesus. Many times, we caricature Martha as the incessant doer, the anxious worker who tends to compare her busyness with the seemingly uncaring attitude of her sister, Mary. Biblicists say that Martha was probably the eldest of already orphaned siblings, so she was the one who took charge of things at home whenever important guests like Jesus would come.
But St. John’s Gospel story on the death of Lazarus brings us the positive side of the practical Martha. Amidst the sorrow she felt about the demise of her brother, Martha went out to welcome Jesus who arrived rather late as Lazarus had been buried for four days. It was a Jewish belief that if a person has been dead for four days, his spirit has already left the earth. Hence, any hope for resuscitation is nil. Nonetheless, Martha came out to welcome the tardy Jesus. Mary, the contemplative one, decided to stay at home, probably feeling bad about the whole event.
The practical Martha, with her concern about the daily flow of life, must have said to herself, “Lazarus is dead; life must go on.” For her, there was no room to sulk in pain and grief. Being the eldest, if indeed she was, she needed to buoy the hope and gladness of the rest of the household.
Indeed, without meaning to demean those who are prayerful, it could happen that our prayerfulness can make us detached and unrealistic about the events in life. It could happen that our inclination to meditate and contemplate can make us slow to face up to the harshness of life’s inevitable moments.
Rather than be engaged in the arguments, Martha or Mary, action or contemplation, let us ask for the gift of integration.Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Do your faith and spirituality make you face up or gloss over your pains and trials in life? What is real faith for you?

Lord, I need Your grace to be a contemplative in action.

St. Olaf, pray for us.

This Saturday, let God give you rest in His Spirit.

July
Saturday

Barriers of Hate

“When you sell land to an Israelite or buy land, do not deal unfairly.” – Leviticus 25:14

It was eight meters high and 800 kilometers long. I saw a portion of the structure called Sharon’s Wall of Shame at the Holy Land. The wall was built by Israel’s leaders to keep the Palestinians out of the Jewish settlements. The cost to build the wall was staggering. But even more staggering is the magnitude of how a group of people can hate so much.
But I realized that I have my own “wall of shame” when I put barriers in my mind in accepting other people’s opinions, biases and even simple practices.
I have my own sets of habits that I keep, some of which are not good. When people like my wife, friends and mentors try to change these habits, sometimes an unpleasant clash ensues.
These clashes first happen in the mind and eventually come out of the mouth. Hatred is one of the fruits of such barrier. Let’s demolish these walls by taking on wisdom from reading and reflecting on Scripture. Let’s take on the love of Christ, for in God’s love, there are no barriers. Rolly España ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Are you bull-headed in your opinions and do not accept others’ views?

Change me, oh Lord, that I may have Your kind of thinking and love.

--------------

1st READING

God’s economic policy for His people was radical. On the 50th year, all debts were to be cancelled and all land and property was to return to its original owners. All slaves were to be set free as well. The huge disparity in wealth that exists today is not God’s will. We all have a responsibility to ensure that we pay our workers more than the basic wage so that they can live with true dignity as children of God.

Leviticus 25:1, 8-17
1 The LORD said to Moses on Mount Sinai, 8 “Seven weeks of years shall you count — seven times seven years — so that the seven cycles amount to forty-nine years. 9 Then, on the tenth day of the seventh month let the trumpet resound; on this, the Day of Atonement, the trumpet blast shall re-echo throughout your land. 10 This fiftieth year you shall make sacred by proclaiming liberty in the land for all its inhabitants. It shall be a jubilee for you, when every one of you shall return to his own property, every one to his own family estate. 11 In this fiftieth year, your year of jubilee, you shall not sow, nor shall you reap the aftergrowth or pick the grapes from the untrimmed vines. 12 Since this is the jubilee, which shall be sacred for you, you may not eat of its produce, except as taken directly from the field. 13 In this year of jubilee, then, every one of you shall return to his own property. 14 Therefore, when you sell any land to your neighbor or buy any from him, do not deal unfairly. 15 On the basis of the number of years since the last jubilee shall you purchase the land from him; and so also, on the basis of the number of years for crops, shall he sell it to you. 16 When the years are many, the price shall be so much the more; when the years are few, the price shall be so much the less. For it is really the number of crops that he sells you. 17 Do not deal unfairly, then; but stand in fear of your God. I, the
LORD, am your God.”

P S A L M

Psalms 67:2-3, 5, 7-8
R: O God, let all the nations praise you!
1 [2] May God have pity on us and bless us; may he let his face shine upon us. 2 [3] So may your way be known upon earth; among all nations, your salvation. (R) 4 [5] May the nations be glad and exult because you rule the peoples in equity; the nations on the earth you guide. (R) 6 [7] The earth has yielded its fruits; God, our God, has blessed us. 7 [8] May God bless us, and may all the ends of the earth fear him! (R)

G O S P E L

St. John the Baptist died because he was unafraid to tell King Herod that in taking his brother’s wife he was committing adultery. Here we see the qualities of a true servant of God and the type of character that we desperately need in the world today when so many leaders seek only popularity and fame rather than following what is morally right.

ALLELUIA
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 14:1-12
1 Herod the tetrarch heard of the reputation of Jesus 2 and said to his servants, “This man is John the Baptist. He has been raised from the dead; that is why mighty powers are at work in him.” 3 Now Herod had arrested John, bound him, and put him in prison on account of Herodias, the wife of his brother Philip, 4 for John had said to him, “It is not lawful for you to have her.” 5 Although he wanted to kill him, he feared the people, for they regarded him as a prophet. 6 But at a birthday celebration for Herod, the daughter of Herodias performed a dance before the guests and delighted Herod 7 so much that he swore to give her whatever she might ask for. 8 Prompted by her mother, she said, “Give me here on a platter the head of John the Baptist.” 9 The king was distressed, but because of his oaths and the guests who were present, he ordered that it be given, 10 and he had John beheaded in the prison. 11 His head was brought in on a platter and given to the girl, who took it to her mother. 12 His disciples came and took away the corpse and buried him; and they went and told Jesus.

my reflections
t h i n k : The huge disparity in wealth that exists today is not God’s will.

------------

THE PROBLEM WITH PROPHETS

Prophets are the mouthpiece of God. This is the literal meaning of the Hebrew word, “nab.” Prophets are God’s gift to a nation, to a church, to a community. In the Old Testament, Yahweh always tried to bring back the Israelites to the path of righteousness through the ministry of prophets. In our Gospel, we hear how even King Herod was touched by the proclamations of John, the last prophet.
Like King Herod, though, we live to regret that we never heed the words and follow the examples of prophets. Like Herod, we tend to appreciate prophets after they are gone. As the proverbial words of the Holy Book puts it, “No prophet is acceptable in his native place.” To this we can add, “No prophet is acceptable in his own time!”
What makes prophets hard to accept?
1. Prophets are not diplomats. We want to hear about mistakes and the need to reform our ways, but we want this expressed in a gentle and kind manner. However, the prophets are often too naive, too plain and too loud with their words. They do not sugar-coat their talk. They seem to be imprudent at times, too sharp with the way they teach.
2. Prophets confront us with their ways. More than their words, prophets challenge us with their ways, their lifestyle. They reveal to us that it is not impossible to live with the ideals of humility, simplicity, truthfulness, chastity of mind and heart. They make us see that what sets us apart from our ideals is not impossibility but our lack of resolve and our compromising ways. They mirror to us the best of self that we fail to achieve.
3. Prophets make us envy their joy. We take a lot of effort and a lot of detours in trying to be happy and blessed. Prophets show us a direct way that we oftentimes fail and do not want to embrace: the way of detachment and simplicity. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Have you known someone whom you can consider as a present-day prophet? What makes you regard this person as a prophet? What attracts you to him? What do you find difficult to follow and accept in him?

Lord, send us prophets every now and then who will challenge us to reform our ways.

St. Hatebrand, pray for us.

Each Sunday is a Mini-Easter. Show that Jesus is alive today!

July
Sunday

IN THEIR SHOES

Jesus replied, “They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.” – Matthew 14:16

Many events I covered in the past as a reporter included tragedies, deaths, fatal accidents and killings. I did my best to get the job done — interview people, know the facts and get all the sides. But there came a point when I became desensitized. I would ask mourning interviewees or traumatized victims questions with the right words and appropriate tone but I couldn’t feel for them anymore.
This bothered me. I prayed for compassion so I could feel again how it was to be in their shoes and be able to minister to them. In today’s Gospel, Jesus wanted His disciples to also learn compassion. They saw the crowd and asked Jesus to tell them to go home because they couldn’t feed them. But Jesus wanted the disciples to realize that these people had waited long hours, ready to stay put for days to listen to Him. It just wouldn’t be right to send them away.
Jesus wanted His disciples to give what they had even if they think it wasn’t enough because He could multiply what they had. This the disciples witnessed with the five loaves and two fish that fed thousands. Carlo Lorenzo ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Do I lack compassion? Am I just doing my job but my heart does not go out to the people around me? Do I hold back in giving because I feel inadequate?

Father, let Your Spirit search the deepest parts of me. Tell me what I lack. Fill me with confidence to give even when I think I’m not enough.

-----------

1st READING
All our bodily desires are a reflection of more profound and powerful spiritual ones. Our thirst for water is a thirst for love; our hunger is a longing for true spiritual nourishment; our sexual urges a longing for union with God. By restraining our bodily desires through fasting, we allow the deeper desires to emerge and then experience how wonderfully God meets these deepest longings.

Isaiah 55:1-3
1 Thus says the Lord: All you who are thirsty, come to the water! You who have no money, come, receive grain and eat; come, without paying and without cost, drink wine and milk! 2 Why spend your money for what is not bread; your wages for what fails to satisfy? Heed me, and you shall eat well, you shall delight in rich fare. 3 Come to me heedfully, listen, that you may have life. I will renew with you the everlasting covenant, the benefits assured to David.

P S A L M

Psalms 145:8-9, 15-16, 17-18
R: The hand of the Lord feeds us; he answers all our needs.
8 The LORD is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and of great kindness. 9 The LORD is good to all and compassionate toward all his works. (R) 15 The eyes of all look hopefully to you, and you give them their food in due season; 16 you open your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing. (R) 17 The LORD is just in all his ways and holy in all his works. 18 The LORD is near to all who call upon him, to all who call upon him in truth. (R)

2nd READING

St. John of the Cross uses the image of a flame burning in our hearts to describe how God dwells in us through the Holy Spirit. All the trials, hardships, temptations, suffering and pain we endure are the wood that will enkindle the fire of love in our hearts to make it grow greater. Hence, as St. Paul says, nothing can separate us from God’s love since everything can be used to draw us deeper into His love.

Romans 8:35, 37-39
35 Brothers and sisters: What will separate us from the love of Christ? Will anguish, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or the sword? 37 No, in all these things we conquer overwhelmingly through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor present things, nor future things, nor powers, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

G O S P E L

How often are we faced with situations that are beyond our capacity and resources? Yet this does not excuse us from doing what we can. From this story, we can see that when we offer what we can to the Lord, He can turn our “little” into “much” and meet all the needs.

ALLELUIA
One does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.

Matthew 14:13-21
13 When Jesus heard of John the Baptist, he withdrew in a boat to a deserted place by himself. The crowds heard of this and followed him on foot from their towns. 14 When he disembarked and saw the vast crowd, his heart was moved with pity for them, and he cured their sick. 15 When it was evening, the disciples approached him and said, “This is a deserted place and it is already late; dismiss the crowds so that they can go to the villages and buy food for themselves.” 16 Jesus said to them, “There is no need for them to go away; give them some food yourselves.” 17 But they said to him, “Five loaves and two fish are all we have here.” 18 Then he said, “Bring them here to me,” 19 and he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, he said the blessing, broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples, who in turn gave them to the crowds. 20 They all ate and were satisfied, and they picked up the fragments left over — twelve wicker baskets full. 21 Those who ate were about five thousand men, not counting women and children.

my reflections
t h i n k : When we offer what we can to the Lord, He can turn our “little” into “much” and meet all the needs.

------------

FROM THE HEART

The late Fr. Pascual Adorable, SJ, whom Buklod-Marriage Encounter members lovingly called “Fr. Ado,” loved to repeat in his talks: “It is the love, not only the power, of Jesus that heals us.” The Gospel narrative about Jesus’ miracle of feeding the five thousand validates this. As the evangelist stresses, it was the pity or compassion that Jesus felt in His heart that made Him do the great favor of healing people, teaching them and feeding them.
The mind tends to divide, dichotomize, distinguish. The mind argues and justifies. The heart, on the contrary, opens, reaches out, touches, empathizes, sympathizes, understands. Hence, the heart, which many times expresses itself in music and arts, has a universal appeal. It bridges people, regardless of race, color and creed. The heart appeals to our common humanity and, therefore, to human solidarity.
Christian ministry is not so much a challenge to preach the Good News through creative and discursive ways. Many a times, the simpler and more humane way of ministry — one that comes from the heart — is what proves effective. People are impressed by ideas but they are moved not by ideas. Passion from the heart is what truly touches people. With a sincere passion, people identify with another’s vision. The scribes and the Pharisees were persons of intelligence and ideas. They were respected and were seen as a group apart. Jesus, on the contrary, spoke about God’s truth from His heart. People began to say, “He speaks with a different authority... not like the scribes and the Pharisees.” Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Recall some persons whom you consider as “heart persons.” Recall also some persons who impress you as “head persons.” Compare the impact of their words and works to your life.

May my words and works, Lord, always come from my heart and speak of Your love for Your people.

St. Neot, pray for us.

Be God's blessing to the world this Monday!

August
Monday

Key to God’s Supply Room

“Five loaves and two fish are all we have here.” – Matthew 14:17

“Lord, thank you for giving us a nice parking slot.” You might think I’m crazy for disturbing God for something as silly as a parking space. But I believe He doesn’t mind if it’s a parking space or a few million dollars. Because I have the key to His supply room: trust.
Two years ago, we created a five-year plan for Anawim, our ministry for the abandoned elderly. I told my team I wanted to build five new houses in five years. I figured that’s how long it would take for us to raise the needed money. God must have heard us planning that day — and laughed. Because what I thought would take five years, God supplied in three months. I’m not kidding.
Five friends told me they’d be donating one building each, costing one million pesos a piece. Amazing! But then I had another problem. Anawim wasn’t ready to sustain the additional number of elderly we’d be accommodating. It would take a few millions more for their food, medicines and the staff needed!
What should I do? Walk into God’s supply room and get what I need. You should learn to do this, too, for all your needs.
Keep giving in faith. And keep asking in faith. Bo Sanchez ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
How big is your trust?

Lord, help me to trust that with You, all things are possible.

--------------

1st READING

In the dialogue between Moses and God, we see an example of genuine prayer. Moses is real. He expresses all his frustrations and hurts to God. God does not reject Moses because of his honesty. God will not reject us, too, when we come to Him and truly express what is in our hearts. In fact this is what God our Father wants — our honesty and sincerity.

Numbers 11:4-15
4 The children of Israel lamented, “Would that we had meat for food! 5 We remember the fish we used to eat without cost in Egypt, and the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions, and the garlic. 6 But now we are famished; we see nothing before us but this manna.” 7 Manna was like coriander seed and had the appearance of bdellium. 8 When they had gone about and gathered it up, the people would grind it between millstones or pound it in a mortar, then cook it in a pot and make it into loaves, which tasted like cakes made with oil. 9 At night, when the dew fell upon the camp, the manna also fell. 10 When Moses heard the people, family after family, crying at the entrance of their tents, so that the LORD became very angry, he was grieved. 11 “Why do you treat your servant so badly?” Moses asked the LORD. “Why are you so displeased with me that you burden me with all this people? 12 Was it I who conceived all this people? or was it I who gave them birth, that you tell me to carry them at my bosom, like a foster father carrying an infant, to the land you have promised under oath to their fathers? 13 Where can I get meat to give to all this people? For they are crying to me, ‘Give us meat for our food.’ 14 I cannot carry all this people by myself, for they are too heavy for me. 15 If this is the way you will deal with me, then please do me the favor of killing me at once, so that I need no longer face this distress.”

P S A L M

Psalms 81:12-13, 14-15, 16-17
R: Sing with joy to God our help.
11 [12] “My people heard not my voice, and Israel obeyed me not; 12 [13] so I gave them up to the hardness of their hearts; they walked according to their own counsels.” (R) 13 [14] “If only my people would hear me, and Israel walk in my ways, 14 [15] quickly would I humble their enemies; against their foes I would turn my hand.” (R) 15 [16] “Those who hated the LORD would seek to flatter me, but their fate would endure forever, 16 [17] while Israel I would feed with the best of wheat, and with honey from the rock I would fill them.” (R)

G O S P E L

In this story where Jesus feeds the five thousand, we see a foretaste of the greater feeding that Jesus will do, not just through the loaves and fish but by His body and blood. The food Jesus fed the crowds nourished their physical bodies while in the Holy Eucharist Jesus nourishes our spirits and gives us food for eternal life.

ALLELUIA
One does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.

Matthew 14:13-21
13 When Jesus heard of the death of John the Baptist, he withdrew in a boat to a deserted place by himself. The crowds heard of this and followed him on foot from their towns. 14 When he disembarked and saw the vast crowd, his heart was moved with pity for them, and he cured their sick. 15 When it was evening, the disciples approached him and said, “This is a deserted place and it is already late; dismiss the crowds so that they can go to the villages and buy food for themselves.” 16 He said to them, “There is no need for them to go away; give them some food yourselves.” 17 But they said to him, “Five loaves and two fish are all we have here.” 18 Then he said, “Bring them here to me,” 19 and he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, he said the blessing, broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples, who in turn gave them to the crowds. 20 They all ate and were satisfied, and they picked up the fragments left over — twelve wicker baskets full. 21 Those who ate were about five thousand men, not counting women and children.

my reflections
t h i n k : God will not reject us when we come to Him and truly express what is in our hearts.

----------------

PLENTY TO EAT AND WITH lots of LEFTOVER

The parable of the Loaves and Fishes is technically not a story about the abundance of God per se but about the nature of the Kingdom of God and the abundances within in it. All miracles are signs that the Kingdom of God is breaking into our world and changing its nature to the degree that we allow it. Some of the more “modern” theologians like to interpret this event as a lesson about the need to share what we have with others and, if we do this, we will discover that between us all we have more than enough to get by. While there is truth to the moral of the story as just outlined it is not the message of this miracle. This miracle is all about God demonstrating His power to intervene in the lives of those who will entrust everything we have to Him.
It is essential that we Catholics believe in the miracles of God as we still need them to help us in our walk as disciples of Jesus. It is not enough to believe that as the Body of Christ, we can together achieve our own salvation and happiness. We need God to intervene in our lives to save us and redeem us from our sins. We need God to be “bigger” than we are or else all is lost!
The miracles of Jesus are signs of the Kingdom of God not just another parable or two. The miracles of Jesus are real and historical —we cannot do without them. The miracles of Jesus are still occurring today all over the world where people have the faith to ask for them. I hope we are numbered among these people!
It is time for us to forget about the skepticism of the world and believe. Let us believe in all that God promises in the Scriptures, including the miracles and the power to perform them in our day. Miracles are part of our Christian heritage and I, for one, am not about to give them up! Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Do I really believe that God still works miracles today — that he could even work a miracle through my weak faith?

Lord Jesus, help me to trust in God’s power and love as You did and to never doubt that You want to be a part of my life.

St. Sofia, pray for us.

This Tuesday, never forget how important you are to God.

August
Tuesday

Oh, Me, of Little Faith!

But when he saw how strong the wind was he became frightened... – Matthew 14:30

Many times in my life, God has called me to step out in faith and walk on water, just like Peter.
Resigning from my demanding and high-paying job two months after I got married was one of them. I felt God was calling me to prioritize building our family over pursuing my career. So with all the courage in our hearts, my husband and I decided that I’d stop working full-time.
Fear, however, started to grip my heart after I left my job. I started thinking, “Could we really afford to pay all our bills with only my husband working? How about the equity and monthly amortization of our newly acquired home? Could we afford to have a child at this time?”
I started to “sink” in my doubts and fears. But God saved me from drowning further in my doubts and fears by dispelling them with His love and His timely provisions.
He gave my husband a new and better paying job. God also took care of all our financial concerns and provided for us in ways beyond our imagination. Like He said, “It is I; do not be afraid.”Teresa Gumap-as Dumadag ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
What causes me to be frightened at this time of my life?

Lord Jesus, save me from sinking in the sea of doubts and fear.

-----------

1st READING

Miriam and Aaron speak against Moses for marrying a Cushite woman. Perhaps they felt jealous of him and his close relationship with God. God comes to Moses’ defense and strikes Miriam with leprosy, a sign of sin. Rather than take pleasure in Miriam’s punishment, Moses pleads with God to heal her. Here we see both the humility and forgiving nature of Moses.

Numbers 12:1-13
1 Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses on the pretext of the marriage he had contracted with a Cushite woman. 2 They complained, “Is it through Moses alone that the LORD speaks? Does he not speak through us also?” And the LORD heard this. 3 Now, Moses himself was by far the meekest man on the face of the earth. 4 So at once the LORD said to Moses and Aaron and Miriam, “Come out, you three, to the meeting tent.” And the three of them went. 5 Then the LORD came down in the column of cloud, and standing at the entrance of the tent, called Aaron and Miriam. When both came forward, 6 he said, “Now listen to the words of the LORD: Should there be a prophet among you, in visions will I reveal myself to him, in dreams will I speak to him; 7 not so with my servant Moses! Throughout my house he bears my trust: 8 face to face I speak to him, plainly and not in riddles. The presence of the LORD he beholds. Why, then, did you not fear to speak against my servant Moses?” 9 So angry was the LORD against them that when he departed, 10 and the cloud withdrew from the tent, there was Miriam, a snow-white leper! When Aaron turned and saw her a leper, 11 “Ah, my lord!” he said to Moses, “please do not charge us with the sin that we have foolishly committed! 12 Let her not thus be like the stillborn babe that comes forth from its mother’s womb with its flesh half consumed.” 13 Then Moses cried to the LORD, “Please, not this! Pray, heal her!”

P S A L M

Psalms 51:3-4, 5-6, 6-7, 12-13
R: Be merciful, O Lord, for we have sinned.
1 [3] Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness; in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense. 2 [4] Thoroughly wash me from my guilt and of my sin cleanse me. (R) 3 [5] For I acknowledge my offense, and my sin is before me always. 4 [6] “Against you only have I sinned, and done what is evil in your sight.” (R) That you may be justified in your sentence, vindicated when you condemn. 5 [7] Indeed, in guilt was I born, and in sin my mother conceived me. (R) 10 [12] A clean heart create for me, O God, and a steadfast spirit renew within me. 11 [13] Cast me not out from your presence, and your Holy Spirit take not from me. (R)

G O S P E L

In our lives, we, too, can feel like these disciples, far out to sea, in a boat, tossed about by the wind and waves and Jesus seems far away. Although it may seem that the storms of life are going to destroy us, we can be assured that Jesus is always praying for us and that, at the right time, He will come to us and invite us to make new steps of faith as St. Peter did.

ALLELUIA
Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel.

Matthew 14:22-36 (or Matthew 15:1-2, 10-14)
22 Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and precede him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. 23 After doing so, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When it was evening he was there alone. 24 Meanwhile the boat, already a few miles offshore, was being tossed about by the waves, for the wind was against it. 25 During the fourth watch of the night, he came toward them, walking on the sea. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the sea they were terrified. “It is a ghost,” they said, and they cried out in fear. 27 At once Jesus spoke to them, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.” 28 Peter said to him in reply, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” 29 He said, “Come.” Peter got out of the boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw how strong the wind was he became frightened; and, beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” 31 Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 After they got into the boat, the wind died down. 33 Those who were in the boat did him homage, saying, “Truly, you are the Son of God.” 34 After making the crossing, they came to land at Gennesaret. 35 When the men of that place recognized him, they sent word to all the surrounding country. People brought to him all those who were sick 36 and begged him that they might touch only the tassel on his cloak, and as many as touched it were healed.

my reflections
t h i n k : Although it may seem that the storms of life are going to destroy us, we can be assured that Jesus is always praying for us and that He will come to us and invite us to make new steps of faith.

------------

WE MUST LEARN TO FORGIVE

One of the most difficult lessons to learn in life is forgiveness. The only way we can learn it is by practicing it. The theory is quite simple. If we want to live with integrity and holiness, how can we expect God to forgive us our sins if we are not willing to forgive those who sin against us? Forgiveness is fundamental to the life of a Christian as it is only through the forgiveness of his sins in baptism that one can enter into the Christian life.
Forgiveness is the entry point, or better yet, the means to enter into the Christian life. Through the Sacrament of Baptism, we celebrate the forgiveness of a person’s sin and the beginning of his life under the will of God. We are called to forgive the sins of those who hurt us because we have known and experienced God’s forgiveness of our sins through the death and resurrection of Jesus. Why is the forgiveness of sins so important?
When a person sins against another, the one who is sinned against has a fundamental choice to make: Will I let go of this sin by forgiving the person or will I hang on to it and seek revenge or hold resentment against him? The second is clearly not a healthy option as our resentment and anger will ultimately eat us up from within. If we choose badly we actually put ourselves in the filth of sin even more. And what is worse, we are totally culpable for this. We have chosen to wallow in the sin of self-indulgence by not forgiving the person who has sinned against us.
Thus the choice to forgive is the choice of freedom. The choice to forgive not only sets the sinner free to embrace the call to repentance and conversion without resentment and fear of revenge plaguing one’s mind; it also affirms our own freedom to act as Christ has acted towards us. This is a sign that true conversion has really taken root in our lives and that we are serious in following Christ.Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Do I hold resentment and unforgiveness against anyone? Is it helping me to live a better life?

Lord Jesus, I thank You for the gift of forgiveness and I pray that I will always exercise my freedom to forgive those who sin against me.

St. Thomas of Dover, pray for us.

His light is shining on you this Wednesday.

August
Wednesday

SOLID GROUND

“O woman, great is your faith! Let it be done for you as you wish.” – Matthew 15:28

We Filipinos are well-known for being a happy bunch. Sure it could be a cultural coping mechanism on our part but, on a deeper level, I wouldn’t hesitate to say that it’s because of our faith.
I say that because, on a personal level, it is that faith that keeps me going even when I have trials and challenges.
Think about it. What would you do today if you didn’t have faith? Would you continue doing what you’re doing? Would you seek to be kind to people around you? Would you even want to live?
I have come to treasure this faith so much, this undeserved gift that I so often take for granted. Because when everything is dark and I feel like I’m just hanging on a thread, I get reminded of Hebrews 11:1: “Faith is the realization of what is hoped for and evidence of things not seen.” And life becomes simpler. Yes, I can and will put my hope in the Lord and His good plans for me.
And though it sometimes takes much effort, I get back on solid ground. Joy Sosoban ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
“Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us… persevere in running that race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith” (Hebrews 12:1, 2).

Strengthen my faith, oh Lord. Enable me to hold on to You.

-------------

1st READING
God made a commitment that He would give the Promised Land to the children of Israel. It was the Lord’s battle to overcome the giants and enemies in the land. All that the people of God had to do was follow the Lord’s instructions and they would have won many victories. Each of us has our giants and enemies, or sins, that we cannot overcome. It is only by faith in Jesus and in His power that we can conquer them.

Numbers 13:1-2, 25-14:1, 26-29, 34-35
1 The LORD said to Moses [in the desert of Paran,] 2 “Send men to reconnoiter the land of Canaan, which I am giving to the children of Israel. You shall send one man from each ancestral tribe, all of them princes.” 25 After reconnoitering the land for forty days they returned, 26 met Moses and Aaron and the whole community of the Israelites in the desert of Paran at Kadesh, made a report to them all, and showed them the fruit of the country. 27 They told Moses: “We went into the land to which you sent us. It does indeed flow with milk and honey, and here is its fruit. 28 However, the people who are living in the land are fierce, and the towns are fortified and very strong. Besides, we saw descendants of the Anakim there. 29 Amalekites live in the region of the Negeb; Hittites, Jebusites and Amorites dwell in the highlands, and Canaanites along the seacoast and the banks of the Jordan.” 30 Caleb, however, to quiet the people toward Moses, said, “We ought to go up and seize the land, for we can certainly do so.” 31 But the men who had gone up with him said, “We cannot attack these people; they are too strong for us.” 32 So they spread discouraging reports among the Israelites about the land they had scouted, saying, “The land that we explored is a country that consumes its inhabitants. And all the people we saw there are huge men, 33 veritable giants [the Anakim were a race of giants]; we felt like mere grasshoppers, and so we must have seemed to them.” 14: 1 At this, the whole community broke out with loud cries, and even in the night the people wailed. 26 The LORD also said to Moses and Aaron: 27 “How long will this wicked community grumble against me? I have heard the grumblings of the Israelites against me. 28 Tell them: By my life, says the LORD, I will do to you just what I have heard you say. 29 Here in the desert shall your dead bodies fall. 34 Forty days you spent in scouting the land; forty years shall you suffer for your crimes: one year for each day. Thus you will realize what it means to oppose me. 35 I, the LORD, have sworn to do this to all this wicked community that conspired against me: here in the desert they shall die to the last man.”

P S A L M

Psalms 106:6-7, 13-14, 21-22, 23
R: Remember us, O Lord, as you favor your people.
6 We have sinned, we and our fathers; we have committed crimes; we have done wrong. 7 Our fathers in Egypt considered not your wonders. (R) 13 But soon they forgot his works; they waited not for his counsel. 14 They gave way to craving in the desert and tempted God in the wilderness. (R) 21 They forgot the God who had saved them, who had done great deeds in Egypt, 22 wondrous deeds in the land of Ham, terrible things at the Red Sea. (R) 23 Then he spoke of exterminating them, but Moses, his chosen one, withstood him in the breach to turn back his destructive wrath. (R)

G O S P E L

Although Jesus understood that His mission was to the children of Israel and not to the pagans, He allowed this Canaanite woman to convince Him to heal her daughter because of her great faith. Faith always draws a blessing and response from our Lord. So, like this woman let us not give up when we do not receive what we ask for immediately.

ALLELUIA
A great prophet has arisen in our midst and God has visited his people.

Matthew 15:21-28
21 At that time Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22 And behold, a Canaanite woman of that district came and called out, “Have pity on me, Lord, Son of David! My daughter is tormented by a demon.” 23 But he did not say a word in answer to her. His disciples came and asked him, “Send her away, for she keeps calling out after us.” 24 He said in reply, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” 25 But the woman came and did him homage, saying, “Lord, help me.” 26 He said in reply, “It is not right to take the food of the children and throw it to the dogs.” 27 She said, “Please, Lord, for even the dogs eat the scraps that fall from the table of their masters.” 28 Then Jesus said to her in reply, “O woman, great is your faith! Let it be done for you as you wish.” And her daughter was healed from that hour.

my reflections
t h i n k : Faith always draws a blessing and response from our Lord. So, like the Canaanite woman, let us not give up when we do not receive what we ask for immediately.

--------------

THE GOSPEL HAS NO LIMITS

The fact that a Canaanite woman felt free to approach Jesus and ask Him to do her a favor tells us that either the woman is at her wit’s end and she sees Jesus as her last option, or that in His preaching Jesus has indicated that He is also open to entertaining requests from people other than the Jews. This is one concrete indication of the universal nature of the Gospel, that Jesus did not come to save only the Jews but all men and women.
In being universal, the Gospel makes demands on those who have heard and accepted it. We are commanded by Jesus to spread the Gospel to the ends of the earth. This is an enormous task requiring a lot of resources and commitment and we all have to do our part. The motivation for us, apart from obedience to the will of God, is knowing that we are bringing the truth of salvation to men and women who have not yet heard about it.
It is good to reflect upon our own faith experience once in a while and to pray for those who were instrumental in our conversion. Without them, who knows where each one of us would be? If those people had not been faithful in following God’s will, maybe we would never have heard of the Gospel and our lives might have ended up mired in sin from which we could not escape. It is important to be grateful to God that He has put the right people in the right places at the right time for us to hear and respond to the Gospel. Let us be open to being used by God to bring the Gospel to others, too.
Sometimes people ask me when they can rest from their religious work and apostolate. I tell them that it is OK to rest in a sense, but we never really rest from our relationship with the Lord. This relationship is meant to consume our lives. We ought to be available for service in the Kingdom of God until the day we die. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
How do I make myself available for service in my local parish church and community? Should I be doing more?

Jesus, thank You for the gift of salvation. I realize that I need to reflect upon the meaning of this gift daily. Help me to open my heart to receive it fully.

St. Abibas, pray for us.

Follow Him all the way this Thursday.

August
Thursday

FAITH IS A GIFT

“You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” – Matthew 16:16

I have a good friend who is Australian and is a self-confessed atheist. We talk about everything under the sun but carefully avoid the subject of religion.
Finally, one day, the great debate came. My friend was curious about heaven and my faith, and engaged me in an argument of logical reasoning. After years of quiet tolerance for fear of appearing uncool or being mocked, I spoke up.
I explained that faith is like the air that we breathe — you can’t see it but it doesn’t mean it’s not there. I could no longer hide who God is to me and what He means to me. It was a great relief to bravely acknowledge before an unbelieving friend that there is a God and that Jesus is the Son of the living God!
My friend and I are still friends. Although he still struggles with the idea, he acknowledges that faith is a gift, and it is the duty of those who have it to share it with others. I continue to pray that one day his heart will be open to receiving the greatest gift of all, that is, the love and knowledge of Jesus Christ, our Savior.Marjorie Duterte (marjorie. [email protected])

REFLECTION:
It doesn’t matter what other people think of me. What matters is what God thinks of me and what I think of Him.

Dearest Father, may I always acknowledge Your presence before others. It is because of You that all things exist. You are holy. Glory be unto You now and forever. Amen.

--------------

1st READING
The Israelites again complain to Moses that they have no water and they again want to go back to slavery in Egypt. Had they obeyed God, they would have been on their way to conquering the Promised Land. Instead they had to suffer 40 years of walking around the wilderness. Let us be people of faith and not people who continually complain to God.

Numbers 20:1-13
1 The whole congregation of the children of Israel arrived in the desert of Zin in the first month, and the people settled at Kadesh. It was here that Miriam died, and here that she was buried. 2 As the community had no water, they held a council against Moses and Aaron. 3 The people contended with Moses, exclaiming, “Would that we too had perished with our kinsmen in the LORD’s presence! 4 Why have you brought the LORD’s community into this desert where we and our livestock are dying? 5 Why did you lead us out of Egypt, only to bring us to this wretched place which has neither grain nor figs nor vines nor pomegranates? Here there is not even water to drink!” 6 But Moses and Aaron went away from the assembly to the entrance of the meeting tent, where they fell prostrate. Then the glory of the LORD appeared to them, 7 and the LORD said to
Moses, 8 “Take the staff and assemble the community, you and your brother Aaron, and in their presence order the rock to yield its waters. From the rock you shall bring forth water for the community and their livestock to drink.” 9 So Moses took the staff from its place before the LORD, as he was ordered. 10 He and Aaron assembled the community in front of the rock, where he said to them, “Listen to me, you rebels! Are we to bring water for you out of this rock?” 11 Then, raising his hand, Moses struck the rock twice with his staff, and water gushed out in abundance for the community and their livestock to drink. 12 But the LORD said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you were not faithful to me in showing forth my sanctity before the children of Israel, you shall not lead this community into the land I will give them.” 13 These are the waters of Meribah, where the children of Israel contended against the LORD, and where he revealed his sanctity among them.

P S A L M

Psalms 95:1-2, 6-7, 8-9
R: If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
1 Come, let us sing joyfully to the LORD; let us acclaim the Rock of our salvation. 2 Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us joyfully sing psalm to him. (R) 6 Come, let us bow down in worship; let us kneel before the LORD who made us. 7 For he is our God, and we are the people he shepherds, the flock he guides. (R) Oh, that today you would hear his voice, 8 “Harden not your hearts as at Meribah, as in the day of Massah in the desert, 9 where your fathers tempted me; they tested me though they had seen my works.” (R)

G O S P E L

Peter here professes his faith in Jesus as the Son of God. Jesus gives the keys of the Kingdom to him, that is, the authority to rule over the church as pope. Pope Benedict XVI continues this ministry of governance that Jesus entrusted to St. Peter.

ALLELUIA
You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.

Matthew 16:13-23
13 Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. 18 And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” 20 Then he strictly ordered his disciples to tell no one that he was the Christ. 21 From that time on, Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer greatly from the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed and on the third day be raised. 22 Then Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, “God forbid, Lord! No such thing shall ever happen to you.” 23 He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are an obstacle to me. You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do.”

my reflections
t h i n k : Let us be people of faith and not people who continually complain to God.

---------------

KNOWING JESUS , KNOWING OURSELVES

In order to know who we are in God’s eyes, we need to first get to know Jesus as it is in and through Him that we exist on at least two levels. God created the world in the beginning through His word — He spoke and it came to be. Jesus is the Word of God. It is through Him that all things live and move and have their being. Secondly, we have been saved by the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus. We have been recreated in Him.
We owe our lives to Jesus twice. In a sense, it is even more often than this. Each time we receive His forgiveness for our sins, we move from the realm of sin and death into His presence, a place of truth and holiness and life. When Jesus asks His disciples as to who people think He is, what He is really doing is challenging them to make a choice. He wants them to know who He really is to them because when persecution comes, this will be a very large determining factor whether or not they will remain faithful to Him.
Our Christian life is full of difficult and challenging situations. It is imperative that we know who we are in God’s eyes to be able to combat the temptations of sin. It is equally important to understand our identity in Christ as the world will make all sorts of offers to us about fame, wealth and so on. Only if we are firmly rooted in our faith will we be able to resist them until the end. Sin has a way of persisting in its goal and if we are at all uncertain of who we are in Christ, then it will take advantage of that uncertainty.
So, it is worth taking the time to get to know Jesus through prayer, the Scriptures and the inspiration of the lives of saints if we want to protect ourselves from the dangers of sin and also to give our knowledge and experience a better foundation from which to share the Gospel. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Am I sure of my identity as a disciple of Jesus or do I still have to grow in this?

Holy Spirit, help me to surrender more and more each day to the truth of my identity in You so that I will be able to stand firm when trials and difficulties come my way.

St. Raynerius of Spalatro, pray for us.

May you be guided by His directions this Friday!

5 August
Friday

DENYING ONE’S SELF

“Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross and follow me.” – Matthew 16:24

Four months after we got married, my husband and I finally found an apartment which we immediately grabbed because of its very affordable rate. It was near the church, school, market, municipal hall and very accessible to public transportation.
Little did we know that the apartment we transferred to was in an area where you’d have to pass through a narrow alley, where neighbors regularly hold drinking sprees at night and where you sometimes wake up at dawn from the shouts of drunkards fighting.
I felt that living there was denying myself of the ease and comfort of living with my parents in a clean, peaceful and decent residential area in Quezon City where I grew up.
Nonetheless, I shrugged off my concerns and discomforts. Rather, I focused on the joy of our discovering each other as we lived on our own. Obeying the precepts of Jesus for marriage, I knew that loving and serving my husband was my primary concern then. Sol Saura ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Are you prepared to abide by the conditions of following Jesus?

Lord, I want to be Your disciple. I take You as my Master. Teach me to obey Your precepts.

----------

1st READING

Moses reminds the children of Israel of all the mighty deeds that God had done for them in bringing them out of slavery in Egypt to be His own chosen people. Like them, we need to be reminded of the great love of God for us in sending His own Son to die on the cross for our sins. Let us never take for granted the wonderful gifts that God gives us.

Deuteronomy 4:32-40
32 Moses said to the people: “Ask now of the days of old, before your time, ever since God created man upon the earth; ask from one end of the sky to the other: Did anything so great ever happen before? Was it ever heard of? 33 Did a people ever hear the voice of God speaking from the midst of fire, as you did, and live? 34 Or did any god venture to go and take a nation for himself from the midst of another nation, by testings, by signs and wonders, by war, with his strong hand and outstretched arm, and by great terrors, all of which the LORD, your God, did for you in Egypt before your very eyes? 35 All this you were allowed to see that you might know the LORD is God and there is no other. 36 Out of the heavens he let you hear his voice to discipline you; on earth he let you see his great fire, and you heard him speaking out of the fire. 37 For love of your fathers he chose their descendants and personally led you out of Egypt by his great power, 38 driving out of your way nations greater and mightier than you, so as to bring you in and to make their land your heritage, as it is today. 39 This is why you must now know, and fix in your heart, that the LORD is God in the heavens above and on earth below, and that there is no other. 40 You must keep his statutes and commandments which I enjoin on you today, that you and your children after you may prosper, and that you may have long life on the land which the LORD, your God, is giving you forever.”

P S A L M

Psalms 77:12-13, 14-15, 16, 21
R: I remember the deeds of the Lord.
11 [12] I remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I remember your wonders of old. 12 [13] And I meditate on your works; your exploits I ponder. (R) 13 [14] O God, your way is holy; what great god is there like our God? 14 [15] You are the God who works wonders; among the peoples you have made known your power. (R) 15 [16] With your strong arm you redeemed your people, the sons of Jacob and Joseph. 20 [21] You led your people like a flock under the care of Moses and Aaron. (R)

G O S P E L

Jesus is very frank and honest about what it takes to be His disciples. We must be willing to make sacrifices, to give God control over our lives, and to allow the Holy Spirit to guide and direct what we do. The journey will at times seem very long and hard, but Jesus promises us that a great and wonderful reward awaits those who truly follow Him.

ALLELUIA
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness; for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 16:24-28
24 Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. 25 For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? Or what can one give in exchange for his life? 27 For the Son of Man will come with his angels in his Father’s glory, and then he will repay everyone according to his conduct. 28 Amen, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

my reflections
think: Jesus promises us that a great and wonderful reward awaits those who truly follow Him.

--------

COULD IT BE ANY CLEANER THAN THIS?

There is nothing ambiguous about what Jesus is saying in today’s Gospel. “If you want to be a follower of mine then renounce yourself, take up your cross and follow me.” Jesus tells us that there is a threefold action that we have to do to become His disciples.
First, we have to want it. There is no way that we are going to persevere in the walk of being a disciple if we do not want it from our depths. Is it our heart’s deepest desire to grow closer to Jesus and become more like Him? Or are we more interested in what the world offers us? What do you really want to happen in your spiritual life?
Second, we have to be ready to deny ourselves. Any person who has followed a particular career path, especially in something like sports, knows what this means. Are you willing to take up the discipline of being a disciple of Jesus? It is the same sort of question a coach will ask any aspiring sports person. Are we ready to be faithful in the sometimes — no — more often than not boring, mundane, difficult and seemingly endless aspects of learning to be a disciple and then maintaining our spiritual fitness through prayer, Scripture reading, etc?
Third, we have to be ready to follow Jesus — wherever He leads us. It is the Master who dictates where the disciple goes, not the disciple. This can be quite a test for a disciple because it will show how detached he is from his own desires. We discover here his level of willingness to choose a path of suffering for the sake of others. It is also here where we discover what it means to lay down our lives in the service of the Gospel, rather than just seek the pleasures the world offers us. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
What is the deepest desire of my heart? Am I willing to go all the way with the Lord?

Jesus, You gave everything in obedience to the Father’s will. You held nothing back. Help me to choose the path You offer over all the other options in my life.

St. Addal, pray for us.

Be filled with God?s joy this Saturday.

6 August
Saturday

Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord

SHE HEARD IT IN HER HEA RT

Moreover, we possess the prophetic message that is altogether reliable. – 2 Peter 1:19

A career-driven person, Beth (not her real name) felt disappointed with herself when, after giving birth to her second child, she lacked the drive to work. Her marriage, too, was breaking apart.
When Beth was still single, she was very devoted to the Eucharist and active in parish work. That stopped when she got married. Even Sunday Masses took a backseat as her work required her to travel. She felt guilty. She sensed that the Lord wanted her back. She came to me for counseling. After allowing her to articulate her thoughts and feelings, and a little processing, we ended the session and agreed to meet again after a week. She resolved to give more time to God.
Days after that, I saw Beth frequenting the adoration chapel.
And then the unexpected happened. A few hours before we were to meet again, Beth died. She was rushed to the hospital because she couldn’t breathe due to asthma.
What she felt was right — that the Lord wanted her back, truly back in His arms. Good thing she listened to the voice in her heart. We all need to. Tess V. Atienza ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
In the silence of your heart, what do you hear?

Lord, give me an open heart that listens to what You are saying to me. Help me to heed Your message.

-------------

1st READING
The prophet Daniel has a vision of heaven and sees the Son of Man, who is the coming Messiah. He comes to God and is given authority over all the nations and kingdoms of the earth. We can see that it has always been in the plan of God that His Son Jesus would rule as King and fulfill all the promises that were made to David and the children of Israel.

Daniel 7:9-10, 13-14
9 As I watched: Thrones were set up and the Ancient One took his throne. His clothing was snow bright, and the hair on his head as white as wool; His throne was flames of fire, with wheels of burning fire. 10 A surging stream of fire flowed out from where he sat; Thousands upon thousands were ministering to him, and myriads upon myriads attended him. The court was convened, and the books were opened. 13 As the visions during the night continued, I saw One like a son of man coming, on the clouds of heaven; When he reached the Ancient One and was presented before him, 14 He received dominion, glory, and kingship; nations and peoples of every language serve him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that shall not be taken away, his kingship shall not be destroyed.

P S A L M

Psalms 97:1-2, 5-6, 9
R: The Lord is king, the Most High over all the earth.
1 The LORD is king; let the earth rejoice; let the many islands be glad. 2 Clouds and darkness are round about him, justice and judgment are the foundation of his throne. (R) 5 The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth. 6 The heavens proclaim his justice, and all peoples see his glory. (R) 9 Because you, O LORD, are the Most High over all the earth, exalted far above all gods. (R)

2nd READING

The Transfiguration of Jesus gave the disciples who witnessed it an incredible insight into Jesus’ relationship with the Father. They knew that Jesus called God Father, what they now discovered was that God called Jesus His beloved Son. We can also call God our Father. Indeed Jesus taught us to in the prayer He left us. But did you know that God also calls you His beloved son or daughter? You are the beloved of the Father.

2 Peter 1:16-19
16 Beloved: We did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we had been eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 For he received honor and glory from God the Father when that unique declaration came to him from the majestic glory, “This is my Son, my beloved, with whom I am well pleased.” 18 We ourselves heard this voice come from heaven while we were with him on the holy mountain. 19 Moreover, we possess the prophetic message that is altogether reliable. You will do well to be attentive to it, as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.

G O S P E L

For a brief moment on the Mount of Transfiguration, the true glory of the Son of God shone through the humanity of Jesus of Nazareth and the three disciples got a glimpse of His true nature as God. This was to build up their faith for the great trials that they were about to undergo in the passion of Christ. Even for us, Jesus hides His glory in the form of bread and wine, lest we, too, fear to approach Him and fall down as dead before Him, as did the disciples on the mount.

ALLELUIA
This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.

Matthew 17:1-9
1 Jesus took Peter, James, and his brother John, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 And he was transfigured before them; his face shone like the sun and his clothes became white as light. 3 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, conversing with him. 4 Then Peter said to Jesus in reply, “Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” 5 While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud cast a shadow over them, then from the cloud came a voice that said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.” 6 When the disciples heard this, they fell prostrate and were very much afraid. 7 But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Rise, and do not be afraid.” 8 And when the disciples raised their eyes, they saw no one else but Jesus alone. 9 As they were coming down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, “Do not tell the vision to anyone until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.

my reflections
t h i n k : It has always been in the plan of God that His Son Jesus would rule as King and fulfill all the promises that were made to David and the children of Israel.

---------

LIVING THE FULLNESS OF LIFE

The Transfiguration is an important event in the life of Jesus. In many ways, it links the Old and New Testaments through the three figures present: Jesus (New and fulfilment of Old), Elijah (Old and Spirit) and Moses (Old and Law). In the person of Jesus, the Old is fulfilled and reborn in the New Covenant of His (Jesus) blood shed for the forgiveness of our sins. Without the advent of Jesus, the Old Testament would remain forever open and the promises of God remain unfulfilled, which, by the way, is what the Jews still think today.
It is important to reflect upon this dynamic if we want to understand what it means to have faith in Jesus Christ and all His promises. It is in and through the Gospel that we receive the fulfilment of the promises that God made to Abraham at the beginning of His work with the Chosen People. It is in the context of our relationship with Jesus that we understand what God did with the Jewish people. Yes, His actions have meaning for the Jews apart from faith in Jesus that is quite legitimate, but the deepest meaning of the Old Testament comes with faith in Christ.
Our Christian lives are meant to be lived from the beginning of the fulfillment of all the Old Testament promises. We do not have to wait until the Second Coming of Jesus to begin enjoying the fruits of His death and resurrection. One of the deficiencies of our catechetical education is that we do not properly learn about the promises that God made to us starting in the Old Testament. This means that we do not experience the fullness of life that we could have if we knew the promises. We need to be proactive in studying the Scripture if we really want to be properly informed of our faith. Let us not miss out on the promises of God through our laziness to seek them in His Word. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
How much of God’s promises in the Old and New Testaments do I know?

Jesus, You stood firm on the Word of God as revealed to the Jews and used it to fight temptation and to guide Your mission. Help me to do the same by first getting to know Your
Word better than I do now.

Martyrs of Cardena, pray for us.

This Sunday, remember that you are hidden in His heart.

7 August
Sunday

SAVE ME, LORD!

He was afraid and started to sink down in the water. “Save me, Lord!” he cried. – Matthew 14: 30

I am living my best life now. Yes, I really am! But only because Jesus saved me. When I was a child, my parents separated. It shattered me and my brothers, and it deeply affected us. I was sinking. But I must have cried then, “Save us, Lord. Save me, Lord!” God heard my cry. He saved me. And He would do it again and again.
When I started a family of my own, it went well at the start. But an avalanche of problems and trials came. We lost our firstborn twins. Our family business was collapsing. We were deep in debt. My marriage was in serious trouble. And the last straw was I was diagnosed with an illness that would kill me in months.
Through all these I cried again and again, “Save me, Lord! I’m drowning.” And over and over again, Jesus pulled me up. He saved me not because of, but despite of who I am! At times I would even hear Him say, “What little faith you have.” Yet, more often I’d feel His embrace as He says, “Trust in My love. I will never let you down.”
Now, I stand taller and stronger — with my family, my ministry and my businesses — but again, only because Jesus saved me! Alvin Barcelona ([email protected])
REFLECTION:
Do you feel that you are sinking now? Drowning? Dying? Cry out to the Lord. He hears you.

Save me, Lord! Pull me up. I take Your hand. I hold on tight. And will never let go of You again. Amen.

------------

1st READING
God tells His prophet Elijah to go out to the entrance of the cave because He would be passing by. First, there is a mighty wind, then an earthquake, and finally fire. But God is not in any of these. Instead, Elijah encounters God in a still small voice. Often, like Elijah, we expect God to come in a dramatic way and so we miss the quiet and seemingly insignificant ways that He comes.

1Kings 19:9, 11-13
9 At the mountain of God, Horeb, Elijah came to a cave, where he took shelter. 11 Then the LORD said, “Go outside and stand on the mountain before the LORD; the LORD will be passing by.” A strong and heavy wind was rending the mountains and crushing rocks before the LORD — but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake — but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake there was fire — but the LORD was not in the fire. After the fire there was a tiny whispering sound. 13 When he heard this, Elijah hid his face in his cloak and went and stood at the entrance of the cave.

P S A L M

Psalms 85:9, 10, 11-12, 13-14
R: Lord, let us see your kindness, and grant us your salvation.
8 [9] I will hear what God proclaims; the LORD — for he proclaims peace. 9 [10] Near indeed is his salvation to those who fear him, glory dwelling in our land. (R) 10 [11] Kindness and truth shall meet; justice and peace shall kiss. 11 [12] Truth shall spring out of the earth, and justice shall look down from heaven. (R) 12 [13] The LORD himself will give his benefits; our land shall yield its increase. 13 [14] Justice shall walk before him, and salvation, along the way of his steps. (R)

2nd READING

The Apostle Paul’s great love for his own people, the Jews, is revealed in this passage where he wishes, if it were possible, that he would lose his salvation if it would lead them to faith.

Romans 9:1-5
1 Brothers and sisters: I speak the truth in Christ, I do not lie; my conscience joins with the Holy Spirit in bearing me witness 2 that I have great sorrow and constant anguish in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed and separated from Christ for the sake of my own people, my kindred according to the flesh. 4 They are Israelites; theirs the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; 5 theirs the patriarchs, and from them, according to the flesh, is the Christ, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.

G O S P E L

Jesus comes to His disciples walking on the water, revealing to them in this act His power and dominion over nature. They are terrified, thinking they are seeing a ghost. Yet it is no ghost, but the Lord of creation, and they have no need to fear Him for He is the one who can save them. Jesus tells them as He also tells us today, “Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid.” Let us receive these words into our minds and hearts.

ALLELUIA
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for his word.

Matthew 14:22-33
22 After he had fed the people, Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and precede him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. 23 After doing so, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When it was evening he was there alone. 24 Meanwhile the boat, already a few miles offshore, was being tossed about by the waves, for the wind was against it. 25 During the fourth watch of the night, he came toward them, walking on the sea. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the sea they were terrified. “It is a ghost,” they said, and they cried out in fear. 27 At once Jesus spoke to them, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.” 28 Peter said to him in reply, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” 29 He said, “Come.” Peter got out of the boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw how strong the wind was he became frightened; and, beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” 31 Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 After they got into the boat, the wind died down. 33 Those who were in the boat did him homage, saying, “Truly, you are the Son of God.”

my reflections
t h i n k : “Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid.”

-----------

WHERE DO I FIND GOD?

The question above is one that we all have to answer at one time or another, even if it is to say that there is no God to find. I disagree with that sentiment because I believe that in reality we can discover God just about anywhere we want to find Him. However, to grow in relationship with God, we have to know what we are looking for in our relationship with Him and look for Him there.
God is not too worried about our starting point — He will come to us wherever we choose to look for Him. Some describe Him as the biggest beggar in the universe and it is true. He will go to any lengths, apart from sin, to find us and draw us into relationship with Him. The lives of the saints demonstrate the great variety of ways that people experience God’s love: through the intellect, nature, meditation, art, beauty and many more. Some of the great mystics, such as St. John of the Cross, find God in the nothingness of themselves. There is no right or wrong way to look for God; the key to finding God is to begin taking the step to search for Him.
Elijah’s experience indicates the almost universal belief that God will be found in the great and spectacular experiences of our lives, but this has to be balanced by the understanding that God can be just as powerfully present in the small and insignificant ones. God can use any experience to reveal Himself to us. We just have to open our minds and hearts to recognize His presence and then respond to it.
But the simple act of finding God will not necessarily make our faith grow. We have to invite Him to be a part of our lives, a process that usually begins small and then grows to include more and more aspects of our lives until we are consumed with the love of God. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

Reflection Question:
Where do I find God in my life? What am I doing to look for Him in the busyness of the modern world?

Jesus, I know You are not far from me; help me to open my heart and mind to Your truth and love today.

St. Donatian, pray for us.

Back
Top Bottom