Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

God's Message For You Today

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 12, 2007

A fool spurns his father's discipline, but whoever heeds correction shows prudence.

Proverbs 15:5 (Read all of Proverbs 15)

People don’t get irritable and short-tempered merely because they’re getting older. Aging doesn’t have to make us hypercritical and cranky. No, it’s more likely that we’ve become what we’ve been becoming all along.

i hope the next generation will also read this phrase....

thanks for sharing...

12 October
Friday

KNOW WHO YOU ARE

Some of them said… – Luke 11:15

Did you know that in the food industry, the most hectic, or should I say chaotic, time is the Christmas season? Anyway, it was my first time to work in this industry, which was why I wasn’t able to prepare for the busyness. My regular habit of exchanging old bills for new and crispy ones for my godchildren’s gifts was left undone. So in short, all the old, smelly and crumpled bills I had left in my wallet had to do.

Have you ever experienced being in an awkward position like this? Seeing and waiting how your godchildren would react when they finally opened the ampao carrying the dilapidated gifts? But all my godchildren looked past the external appearance of my gifts. Surprisingly, they knew the bills I gave could still buy them toys, candies, clothes and a whole lot more. No matter how tattered they were, they did not decrease in value.

Many times, we are crumpled, dilapidated and tattered by the decisions we make and the circumstances that come our way. We can’t help but feel worthless. But no matter what has happened or what will happen, we will never lose our value in God’s eyes when we genuinely repent. Even if others persist on judging from externals.

Jesus knew Who He Was, Is and Will Be. The crowd’s whispers didn’t matter. Do you know who you are? Annette AF.

REFLECTION:

Do you know your worth as a child of God?

When I am tempted to value myself only for what I can give, remind me Lord that who I am is what You made me.

----------------

DELIVER US FROM EVERY EVIL

As Christians we need to be vigilant because the devil is prowling like a lion looking for someone to eat. There are many stories in the Gospels of Jesus exorcising demons and allowing people to experience true liberation from the forces of evil. On discussing the different guises of the evil one, Ignatius of Loyola illustrates to us a battle. The enemy has come into the area of his battle and seeks to find a weak spot in the fortress or city wall. Once found the enemy moves into the city to spoil the plunder. The city is conquered and the enemy has won his prize. All he needs do is to find the ‘weak link in the chain’ and he is proven victorious. Ignatius suggests that this is similar to the work of the enemy. The devil prowls around our life looking for our weakness. Once found, the enemy is ruthless in causing one to fall. The enemy will allow other forces to come in and conquer unguarded territory. We are aware of those weaknesses in our lives. Perhaps it is that habitual sin that seems persistent and we find our selves so attached to. Perhaps it is a fear of some kind. Perhaps it is an inadequacy that gives way to lack of self esteem, despondency. The Lord desires to build us and encourage us in our walk of faith. We need only find our shelter in Him. In today’s Gospel Jesus drives out a demon and the people complain that it is through the prince of demons that the devil is exorcised. Now this is nonsense as Jesus says, “How can Satan be divided against himself.” Jesus, the Anointed one sent by the Father liberates His people from sin and delivers them from evil.

In the Lord’s Prayer we pray, do not bring us to the test but deliver us from evil. We must learn to pray these words from the heart. The devil is active and he despises those who name themselves Christians. He will do anything in his power to discourage us and stop us from entering into relationship with the Father. That is why the Christian must be vigilant, calling on the power of the Lord for deliverance from the forces of evil. The enemy comes in many disguises. He comes as the angel of light; he is the Tempter and he comes to torment those who belong to Christ. As James says, “Resist the devil and he will flee. Do not give in to his tactics, for he is the defeated one.” God has won the victory through Christ, who, dying on the Cross in his last breath said, “It is accomplished.” Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: What are the weaknesses within you that need to be addressed. Surrender them to the Lord and seek his mercy and protection.

Lord I come to You and I seek to place my life under Your lordship. I ask You to forgive me for the times I have given into the reign of the enemy. Forgive me for the times I have fallen into complacency or despondency. I am Yours and I all that I have belongs to You. Amen.

Sts. Felix and Cyprian, bishop, pray for us.

------------------

1st READING

Joel 1:13-15; 2:1-2

The prophet Joel calls the people to repentance in preparation for the Day of the Lord. What the “Day of the Lord” refers to we do not really know. However, I think that we can safely give it the interpretation that basically means that we will all face judgment sooner or later. In terms of history the day of our death is only a short time away and for all intents and purposes this is our Day of Judgment. After our death there is no more time to repent or change our ways. All that sort of thing has to have been accomplished by then.

13 Gird yourselves and weep, O priests! Wail, O ministers of the altar! Come, spend the night in sackcloth, O ministers of my God! The house of your God is deprived of offering and libation. 14 Proclaim a fast, call an assembly; gather the elders, all who dwell in the land, Into the house of the LORD, your God, and cry to the LORD! 15 Alas, the day! For near is the day of the LORD, and it comes as ruin from the Almighty. 2: 1 Blow the trumpet in Zion, sound the alarm on my holy mountain! Let all who dwell in the land tremble, for the day of the LORD is coming; 2 yes, it is near, a day of darkness and of gloom, a day of clouds and somberness! Like dawn spreading over the mountains, a people numerous and mighty! Their like has not been from of old, nor will it be after them, even to the years of distant generations.

P S A L M

Psalm 9:2-3, 6, 16, 8-9

R: The Lord will judge the world with justice.

1 [2] I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with all my heart; I will declare all your wondrous deeds. 2 [3] I will be glad and exult in you; I will sing praise to your name, Most High. (R) 5 [6] You rebuked the nations and destroyed the wicked; their name you blotted out forever and ever. 15 [16] The nations are sunk in the pit they have made; in the snare they set, their foot is caught. (R) 7 [8] But the LORD sits enthroned forever; he has set up his throne for judgment. 8 [9] He judges the world with justice; he governs the peoples with equity. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 11:15-26

When we are overcoming a particular sin, particularly one that has become habitual, it is important that we seek to replace it with something positive. Sin takes up time in our lives so when it is gone there is a space we have to fill. It is much healthier for our spiritual well being if we replace the sin with something good. Otherwise there is the very real danger that the devil might replace it with something worse!

15 Some of them said, “By the power of Beelzebul, the prince of demons, he drives out demons.” 16 Others, to test him, asked him for a sign from heaven. 17 But he knew their thoughts and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself will be laid waste and house will fall against house. 18 And if Satan is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that it is by Beelzebul that I drive out demons. 19 If I, then, drive out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your own people drive them out? Therefore they will be your judges. 20 But if it is by the finger of God that drive out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. 21 When a strong man fully armed guards his palace, his possessions are safe. 22 But when one stronger than he attacks and overcomes him, he takes away the armor on which he relied and distributes the spoils. 23 Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. 24 When an unclean spirit goes out of someone, it roams through arid regions searching for rest but, finding none, it says, ‘I shall return to my home from which I came.’ 25 But upon returning, it finds it swept clean and put in order. 26 Then it goes and brings back seven other spirits more wicked than itself who move in and dwell there, and the last condition of that person is worse than the first.”

my reflections

think: It is much healthier for our spiritual well being if we replace the sin with something good.

God’s special verse/thought for me today________________

T O D A Y ’ S BLESSING LIST

Thank You Lord for: ____________________________________

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Matthew 1-4

13 October
Saturday

CHOICES

“Blessed are those who hear...” – Luke 11:28

Last week I was shamed.

I was not happy with the way my plans were working out. On hindsight, it was due to my shortcomings. But just the same, I was grumbling and complaining internally.

Then I received news that a childhood friend died. He was 43. At the wake, I met a former neighbor. He used a metallic cane to help him walk and was suffering from a rare, progressive genetic disease with no known cure. He further told me he had to quit his job, that earlier his only child, after consultation with 29 plus doctors, had died and that they just survived being kidnapped.

Yet he said: “In all these, God is with us.”

Then I found out that a good friend was dying. She had colon cancer and the doctors had given up hope. As I talked to her husband on the phone, I sensed he was deliberately being positive, saying that the events had brought him and his wife closer to each other.

I felt like a wimp in battle, an amateur amidst professionals. I met champions who embraced the seemingly bleak future with amazing confidence in God’s heart. These individuals were ready to deal with what God would allow and has allowed to happen. They were embracing what choices God would make for their lives. Ariel D.

REFLECTION:

Doing God’s will is not an event or a status, it is about choosing to trust Him and have an attitude of a child of God.

Today, Lord, You talk about being blessed if I listen and do Your will. I begin to see that it is not about my situation but the

way I handle the situation; it is not about titles or roles but how I play those roles You give me.

A LIGHT FOR MY PATH

The person who follows the Lord is the one who hears the word of God and keeps it. The woman we hear in the Gospel is delighted at the words that fall from the lips of Jesus and in return blesses the mother of Jesus. In the Gospel, Jesus does not reject the woman’s praise but reinforces His command by calling those “blessed”, who accommodate the word in their heart and lives as Mary did – she treasured these things and pondered them in her heart In his letter to the community James uses similar language to what Jesus says in the Gospel. He says to not only be hearers of the word but also doers. Anyone can hear the word of God, but is another thing to put into practice. The one who doesn’t practice is like the one who looks in the mirror then walking away forgets what he looks like. We also can have the word reflected to us in many ways but fail to adhere to it. The word is reflected to us through seminars, homilies, bible studies and other means.

Notice the joy of a parent when the child obeys the command given. The parent is happy that the child is obedient and there is trust on the part of the child that what the parent says is right and loving in a particular situation. Or note the satisfaction of the teacher who, in imparting values and information to the student, has the student understand all that has been taught. The child obeys the parent; the student listens to his teacher because there is trust and love. So too, God rejoices in the one who obeys His word. Jesus says, “if a man loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him and we will come to him and make our home with him”. To keep the word of God and obey it is an acknowledgment of our love.

The psalmist states, “Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light for my path”. The Bible is full of instructions that lighten our path, our pilgrimage of life. Some have called it the book of life. This is true since in the bible we can discover certain directives and percepts to life. The psalms are the real prayers of a real people. The prophets help us discover God and His will in our lives. The Gospels give us access to the Son of man and the Son of God. The pastoral letters are practical applications by which we can base our lives. Happy the man who trusts in the Lord and places his life under His word. Let us trust again in the word of the Lord. Let us seek to follow the Lord and adhere to His teachings. Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: Do I allow myself to be guided by the word of God? Do I pray with the scriptures? How can I live out the Word of God in my daily life? What are the means by which I can appreciate the word of God more?

Lord thank you for Your word. Let me be accounted as one of Your disciples as I live according to Your word. May I not only hear the word but keep it. AMEN

St. Theophilus, bishop, pray for us.

1st READING

Joel 4:12-21

God will pass judgment on sin and evil. In fact He has already done so with Jesus’ death on the cross. Here sin is put in its place, defeated and cast down to the nether world. What we must seek to do is to bring that victory to bear upon every sin and temptation that seeks to destroy our relationship with God and others. Sin brings death and desolation; holiness brings happiness and rejoicing. Let us choose to live with the latter rather than the former.

12 Let the nations bestir themselves and come up to the Valley of Jehoshaphat; for there I will sit in judgment upon all the neighboring nations. 13 Apply the sickle, for the harvest is ripe; come and tread, for the wine press is full; the vats overflow, for great is their malice. 14 Crowd upon crowd in the valley of decision; for near is the day of the LORD in the valley of decision. 15 Sun and moon are darkened, and the stars withhold their brightness. 16 The LORD roars from Zion, and from Jerusalem raises his voice; the heavens and the earth quake, but the LORD is a refuge to his people, a stronghold to the men of Israel. 17 Then shall you know that I, the LORD, am your God, dwelling on Zion, my holy mountain; Jerusalem shall be holy, and strangers shall pass through her no more. 18 And then, on that day, the mountains shall drip new wine, and the hills shall flow with milk; and the channels of Judah shall flow with water: a fountain shall issue from the house of the LORD, to water the Valley of Shittim. 19 Egypt shall be a waste, and Edom a desert waste, because of violence done to the people of Judah, because they shed innocent blood in their land. 20 But Judah shall abide forever, and Jerusalem for all generations. 21 I will avenge their blood, and not leave it unpunished. The LORD dwells in Zion.

P S A L M

Psalm 97:1-2, 5-6, 11-12

R: Rejoice in the Lord, you just!

1 The LORD is king; let the earth rejoice; let the many isles be glad. 2 Clouds and darkness are round about him, justice and judgment are the foundation of his throne. (R) 5 The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth. 6 The heavens proclaim his justice, and all peoples see his glory. (R) 11 Light dawns for the just; and gladness, for the upright of heart. 12 Be glad in the LORD, you just, and give thanks to his holy name. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 11:27-28

Once again Jesus is not willing to let a comment pass Him by without His taking the opportunity to use it as a means to teach a deeper truth to the people. It is true that Mary is a happy woman as His mother. However, there is a far greater happiness and satisfaction in being a disciple of Jesus. Mary ought to be (and is) much prouder of her obedience to God’s word than she is of the fact that she is the Mother of God. It is her obedience that makes her holy.

27 While Jesus was speaking, a woman from the crowd called out and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that carried you and the breasts at which you nursed.” 28 He replied, “Rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”

my reflections

think: There is a far greater happiness and satisfaction in being a disciple of Jesus.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Matthew 5-6

October
Sunday

AGAINST THE ODDS

He was a Samaritan. – Luke 17:16

The odds were against him.

1. He had leprosy, a disease so dreaded that those afflicted were banished from civil society.

2. The disease was incurable in the day.

3. He wasn’t even Jewish.

What chances had he that this up and coming Teacher would even glance his way?

Maybe He’d grant the other lepers a chance because they were at least of the same religion as He… but he had to be extremely lucky to deserve even a look.

And suddenly he was healed.

When you feel as undeserving as this Samaritan leper, you would go back and prostrate yourself before Jesus, too.

You would know that an immense gift has been granted you.

The problem with many of us is that we take the gift of healing and forgiveness too lightly for our own good. And so we forget to be grateful.

Let us not forget that once we were Samaritan lepers, too. Undeserving of even a glance. And now we are healed. Victoria L.

REFLECTION:

How are you showing your gratitude to the Lord today?

You have shown me great mercy and yet I forget that all my life should be dedicated to You. Forgive me, Lord.

------------------

GIVE THANKS TO THE LORD

Have you ever noticed your reaction when you are in the mall, or walking down the street, or somewhere else and you see a person you don’t like? You try and avoid that person at all costs hoping he/she won’t see you.

It’s a sad part of our human condition that there are some people in our life that we find most difficult to love, let alone accept in our company.

The lepers lived a terrible existence. They were ostracized from the community having to live remote and alone. They were to observe certain customs, namely, unkempt hair, torn garments and crying out “Unclean!” to anyone who approached them. They were a disgrace unto themselves and to their family. If anyone was to be in contact with the leper they were also seen excluded from the Temple worship. Luke narrates a story of the 10 lepers that approached Jesus. Actually they met him at a distance because of the observances required. They were bold enough to come this far towards Jesus. They were aware that Jesus could perhaps reject them but they called out to Him for pity upon their miserable lives. Aware they were rejected by others, they thought to themselves, would Jesus do the same? Yet Jesus goes beyond the cultural understanding of the day and speaks the word of healing to them. Remarkably, as they go on their way they are noticeably healed. We are told that one of them, filled with gratitude, approaches Jesus, kneeling at His feet in worship and praise. This leper, we are told by Luke, happens to be a Samaritan. Samaritans and Jews do not get on well with each other. They are seen as ceremonially unclean by the Jews. Yet the leper goes beyond this barrier to accept Jesus in gratitude. Many times the Lord does wonderful things for us. He heals us, He answers our prayers, and He assists us in our need. Are we like the leper who has the attitude of gratitude or are we like the other nine who forget and ignore the blessings the Lord has poured upon our lives? It is a wonderful experience to be appreciated. We all have this need within us to be acknowledged and appreciated. How often we have been hurt if when we have assisted another and have not been thanked. This can wound us in a variety of ways.

If we feel this way, imagine the way God must feel for the many times we neglect to thank Him. Let us seek to develop an attitude of gratitude. Let our lives be a witness that we are a people who delight in a God of blessings. Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: Am I thankful to the Lord? Do I take time to give thanks to the Lord on a daily basis or do I go throughout my day ignorant and forgetful of a God who gives me many blessings?

Lord, I thank You, I praise You and I worship You. Give me the grace to be thankful for all that You have given me. Amen.

St. Calixto, Pope and martyr, pray for us.

------------

1st READING

2 Kings 5:14-17

Elisha’s reluctance to accept anything in return for the healing of Naaman is a sign of his, Elisha’s, knowledge that the power for the healing comes from God and not himself. This truth is further emphasized with Naaman asking for and receiving two mule loads of dirt presumably so that he can erect an altar to the God of Israel when he returns home. The earth taken from Israel will always remind him of the source of the power that healed his leprosy.

14 Naaman went down and plunged into the Jordan seven times at the word of the man of God. His flesh became again like the flesh of a little child, and he was clean. 15 He returned with his whole retinue to the man of God. On his arrival he stood before him and said, “Now I know that there is no God in all the earth, except in Israel. Please accept a gift from your servant.” 16 “As the LORD lives whom I serve, I will not take it,” Elisha replied; and despite Naaman’s urging, he still refused. 17 Naaman said “If you will not accept, please let me, your servant, have two muleloads of earth, for I will no longer offer holocaust or sacrifice to any other god except to the LORD.”

P S A L M

Psalm 98:1, 2-3, 3-4

R: The Lord has revealed to the nations his saving power.

1 Sing to the LORD a new song, for he has done wondrous deeds; his right hand has won victory for him, his holy arm. (R) 2 The LORD has made his salvation known in the sight of the nations he has revealed his justice. 3 He has remembered his kindness and his faithfulness toward the house of Israel. (R) All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation by our God. 4 Sing joyfully to the LORD, all you lands; break into song; sing praise. (R)

2nd READING

2 Timothy 2:8-13

God is a God who treasures faithfulness. He will never forget those who are faithful to Him. At times it may seem that He is far from us, but it is not the present feelings that are most important, it is the end result! With God we can be sure that He is always faithful and that He will see through to the end all that He has promised His people. If we are willing to walk with Him in death and rise with Him in the resurrection and hold firm with Him through the growing in holiness, then the end result for us will be literally “out of this world!”

8 Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, a descendant of David: such is my gospel, 9 for which I am suffering, even to the point of chains, like a criminal. But the word of God is not chained. 10 Therefore, I bear with everything for the sake of those who are chosen, so that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, together with eternal glory. 11 This saying is trustworthy: If we have died with him we shall also live with him; 12 if we persevere we shall also reign with him. But if we deny him he will deny us. 13 If we are unfaithful he remains faithful, for he cannot deny himself.

G O S P E L

Luke 17:11-19

Jesus heals all ten of the lepers but there is a distinct possibility that only one of them will receive the greater gift of salvation, namely the foreigner who returns to Jesus to thank Him for the healing. Where do you and I fit into this Gospel story? Are we with the one who gives thanks for all of God’s goodness to us, or do we easily forget what God has done for us and ignore His presence in our lives? Perhaps it is a bit of both. Whatever the situation, it is not too late to change and align ourselves fully with the Samaritan who returns to give thanks to God for his healing.

11 As he continued his journey to Jerusalem, he traveled through Samaria and Galilee. 12 As he was entering a village, ten lepers met [him]. They stood at a distance from him 13 and raised their voice, saying, “Jesus, Master! Have pity on us!” 14 And when he saw them, he said, “Go show yourselves to the priests.” As they were going they were cleansed. 15 And one of them, realizing he had been healed, returned, glorifying God in a loud voice; 16 and he fell at the feet of Jesus and thanked him. He was a Samaritan. 17 Jesus said in reply, “Ten were cleansed, were they not? Where are the other nine? 18 Has none but this foreigner returned to give thanks to God?” 19 Then he said to him, “Stand up and go; your faith has saved you.”

my reflections

think: Are we with the one who gives thanks for all of God’s goodness to us, or do we easily forget what God has done for us and ignore His presence in our lives?

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Matthew 7-9

SABBATH PAUSE

My weekly time with God

THANK YOU LIST

Things to be grateful for from the past week

SPECIAL NEEDS

Things to ask God for in the coming week

HIDDEN TREASURE

Most important word God told me this week

[B]OCTOBER 13, 2007 SATURDAY

Live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Ephesians 5:2[/B]

Reflection - October 14

Those Inner Flaws
READ: Psalm 138:1-8

The Lord will perfect that which concerns me. --Psalm 138:8

All of us have personality flaws and character weaknesses. We see sinful tendencies in ourselves such as selfishness, irritability, impatience, vindictiveness. Yet if our defects cause us to rely more heavily on Jesus, we can see them as blessings in disguise. As we acknowledge our weakness and seek God's help, we experience His grace and strength.

This link between imperfection and improvement is all around us in nature. Take, for instance, the formation of crystals, which make up valuable minerals and precious stones. Each kind of mineral and gem has its own special shape and appearance. In addition, every one of them is made up of a great number of atoms that are stacked in perfect alignment. Occasionally, though, one of these basic particles gets out of line. Surprisingly, these "flaws" or imperfections give gems their most beautiful properties.

How do you respond to your faults and shortcomings? Don't let them get you down. Instead, be honest about them and commit them to the Lord.

The psalmist said, "The Lord will perfect that which concerns me" (138:8). Trust Him to turn your inner flaws into beautiful character. — Mart De Haan

An earthen vessel is our frame,
So weak, so frail, so worn by time;
Yet through it God receives acclaim
When we show forth His grace sublime. –DJD

Only God can transform a sin-flawed soul into a masterpiece of grace.

October
Monday

IGNORING THE EXPERT

“…there is something greater than Solomon here.” – Luke 11:31

Patricia had just volunteered to sing with the choir and they were learning the next song. It was a song she knew by heart. You see, she belonged to another more popular choir who had commercially recorded it and Patricia was the one who sang the solo.

But Jane, choirmaster at this new group, had no idea who Patricia was. When she started to teach Patricia the solo part with the wrong notes, she put Patricia in a dilemma. Patricia carefully asked, “Aren’t we supposed to sing it this way?” and proceeded to sing the way she knew was right.

“No, no, no, that’s not how you sing it,” Jane insisted. Patricia simply smiled and allowed Jane to teach her the “new” song.

Like most people I know, I give more bearing to the words of authority figures I respect and recognize than to unsolicited advice from total strangers. It would be completely my fault then if that stranger turned out to be a real expert after all.

Sadly, though, there are times when I knowingly ignore the words of Someone who is infinitely wiser than I am. These are the times when I turn God into a stranger, completely disregard His voice, and listen instead to less reliable sources, including myself. How crazy is that? Anna dG.

REFLECTION:

Who do you listen to when in a dilemma?

May I always hear Your voice above the din of less reliable experts.

------------------

WE ARE THE BELOVED OF GOD

Paul is in Corinth on his third missionary journey when this letter is written to the people of Rome. He writes of his fervent desire to come and visit these people since he has heard of their faith from abroad. The Church at Rome had not been established by the community but Paul is proud of the news he has heard of their belief in God. He writes to encourage them to keep the faith, they who are the beloved of God. Paul’s story is a great tribute to what God can accomplish through one who is obedient to Him. We are all aware of his conversion to the faith, once persecutor of the Church he turns completely around so as to serve the Church through his missionary travels proclaiming Jesus as Savior of the world. Paul writes to all his churches convinced of his call to make known the Gospel of God. The Holy Spirit is the key that unlocks the understanding of Paul to come to the full realization of the truth that Jesus, the Son of God promised through the prophets, descended from David and raised from the dead is the Holy one.

Paul opens his letter to the community at Rome encouraging them in their faith. We all belong to God. We are the beloved of God. From all time God had this purpose in mind that there would be a people in relationship with him. The beloved of God in Rome are to be holy. Their lives are to be a witness to the citizens of Rome. They are to stand out and make a difference to the society in which they live, the very essence of Christianity. Through Jesus’ death and resurrection, God the Father invites a people into relationship with Him. These people are to be a holy people, born of the Spirit with the mission of spreading the gospel through the grace of apostleship.

This is our task too, we who are the beloved of God. Jesus has made us His brothers and sisters giving us access to a relationship with God as Father through His death and resurrection. The task is given us that we too would be “apostles”, a people sent to proclaim the marvelous deeds of God. The blessing that Paul invokes upon the people of Rome, “grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ” is the same greeting we receive from the priest at the beginning of Mass. The Grace and peace of God our Father is with us and we are to share that with others. God has remembered His kindness and faithfulness by letting us be called the beloved of God. Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: Reflect upon your relationship with God as Father. Can you truly see yourself as the beloved of God?

Father, I thank You for the relationship I have with You. You are my Savior and my God. Thank You for Your faithfulness and love that excel all we ever knew of You. Amen.

St. Agileus, martyr, pray for us.

--------

1st READING

Romans 1:1-7

For Paul the Christian life is not about himself but about Jesus. What I mean here is that the focus of our lives shifts from something selfish to being selfless and offering our lives in the service of the Gospel. Paul writes to the Romans to introduce himself to them so that they will provide a base for his proposed missionary journeys further west. These do not eventuate but what we have here is Paul’s most systematic and argued account of the faith.

1 Paul, a slave of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God, 2 which he promised previously through his prophets in the holy scriptures, 3 the gospel about his Son, descended from David according to the flesh, 4 but established as Son of God in power according to the spirit of holiness through resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord. 5 Through him we have received the grace of apostleship, to bring about the obedience of faith, for the sake of his name, among all the Gentiles, 6 among whom are you also, who are called to belong to Jesus Christ; 7 to all the beloved of God in Rome, called to be holy. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

P S A L M

Psalm 98:1, 2-3, 3-4

R: The Lord has made known his salvation.

1 Sing to the LORD a new song, for he has done wondrous deeds; his right hand has won victory for him, his holy arm. ® 2 The LORD has made his salvation known in the sight of the nations he has revealed his justice. 3 He has remembered his kindness and his faithfulness toward the house of Israel. ® All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation by our God. 4 Sing joyfully to the LORD, all you lands; break into song; sing praise. ®

G O S P E L

Luke 11:29-32

We can waste an enormous amount of time seeking signs for this and signs for that to the point that it may even be sinful. There comes a time when we should just act and see how things go. Sometimes we may make a mistake. This is not a real problem unless we continue in it! I am not saying we should not discern God’s call, but we ought to realize we will never have 100% certainty about the things of faith and sometimes we simply have to trust that we have heard the Lord correctly and move on.

29 While still more people gathered in the crowd, he said to them, “This generation is an evil generation; it seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it, except the sign of Jonah. 30 Just as Jonah became a sign to the Ninevites, so will the Son of Man be to this generation. 31 At the judgment the queen of the south will rise with the men of this generation and she will condemn them, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and there is something greater than Solomon here. 32 At the judgment the men of Nineveh will arise with this generation and condemn it, because at the preaching of Jonah they repented, and there is something greater than Jonah here.”

my reflections

think: We will never have 100% certainty about the things of faith and sometimes we simply have to trust that we have heard the Lord correctly and move on.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Matthew 10-12

Reflection -- October 15

Put On The Brakes
READ: Romans 13:8-14

Love does no harm to a neighbor. —Romans 13:10

A bumper sticker motto expresses the goal of a campaign to curb gossip: "Put the brakes on loshon hora." The movement began with Rabbi Chaim Feld in Cleveland, Ohio, who says the Bible forbids speaking words that hurt people in any way. Loshon hora is a Hebrew phrase for negative or cruel speech—an evil that causes untold damage.

Rabbi Feld says, "If you've never met Michael, and someone tells you he is a jerk, then Michael has been murdered for you, before you even meet him."

Someone has said, "When tempted to gossip, breathe through your nose." That's a good way to keep our mouths shut, but we also need a solution that gets to the heart of the issue.

The antidote to the poison of gossip is love, which neutralizes the toxin in our hearts before it escapes through our lips. The Bible tells us, "'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law" (Romans 13:9-10).

Whenever we're tempted to pass along a negative word about someone, even if it's true, let's seek God's help in putting the brakes on gossip. Instead of loshon hora, let's speak a word of kindness and love. — David C. McCasland

Lord, guard our tongues so what we say
Won't hurt and carelessly offend;
Give us the gracious speech of love,
With words that soothe and heal and mend. —Sper

To silence gossip, don't repeat it.

16 October
Tuesday

WISE GUY

Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools. – Romans 1:22

Jessa was a student activist. She loved it not only because it gave her a chance to make a contribution to society, but also because her friends were highly intelligent and multitalented.

It felt great to be one of them.

But there was one area in her life that didn’t meet their approval – the fact that she’s a devout Catholic. Her friends felt so intellectually superior that they questioned even the existence of God. Their pride wouldn’t allow them to concede that the mysteries of God are beyond their comprehension.

For me, whenever I try to learn more about God, my heart overcomes my brain and I am overwhelmed by the evidence of His love. I know I’ll never fully understand Him, but I believe that I have understood what really matters.

So did Jessa. After much soul searching, she finally abandoned her activist friends and chose to be true to her faith. After all, a life without God is a life not worth living. Cecille L.

REFLECTION:

Open your heart, not just your mind, when learning about God.

Grant me the humility to accept that I may never fully understand Your ways.

THE GOSPEL IS THE POWER OF GOD

Paul speaks to the people of Rome on the power of God revealed through the Gospel. The Word of God, the Gospel of Jesus, is intended for all peoples for their salvation. Notice that Paul stresses the privilege of the Jews. He does so not out of any superiority on part of the Jews nor by means of boasting, but Paul is stating the fact that the Jewish race were a people chosen to fulfill the mission of God – that is the spreading of the Gospel. Salvation is from the Jews, since the Messiah is born of Jewish blood. The very words of God, through the covenant, laws, commands, and messianic prophecies were given to them as the chosen people of God.

They were given the divine task, as a people set apart, to proclaim the marvelous deeds of God. Paul is reminding his readers, emphatically, of the tremendous privilege given them and yet their complete ignorance to this great truth. The people of God knew God; they had no excuse. All was revealed to them yet they became vain in their reasoning and refusing to give glory to God. Therefore, God handed them over to their ignorance and rebellion. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie.

This is the sad predicament of the human condition. To quote one of St Augustine’s famous phrases, “you have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you”. This is profound truth revealed to us. The divine spark is within man, since we are created in the image and likeness of God. God has given us life and love and offer us rest in him yet man desires and prefers his own way. Consequently, the heart of man is restless seeking comfort from the creatures and things God has made rather than God himself. We are meant for God, made for him. That is why many people are prone to addictions of one kind or another. Substance abuse, bodily harm, material greed, are all symptoms of this restlessness. There is a search for our identity. We don’t know who we really are. A life founded on the Gospel is the power of God for our salvation. Jesus alone saves us and heals us through his grace and mercy. A life surrendered to the Lord Jesus Christ is the remedy for a heart restless and seeking love and goodness. Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: What are those things that become disordered in my life? Where do I find consolation? Do I rest in God or the things he has created?

Lord, you have made me for Yourself and my heart finds its rest in You. Heal me Lord and fill me with the consolation of the truth of Your goodness and love. Amen.

St. Hedwig, widow, pray for us.

1st READING

Romans 1:16-25

Paul is very clear about the fact that even if a person has not heard the Gospel, they still ought to be able to discern the existence of God through creation and the gift of their conscience. With their conscience we are also able to know the difference between right and wrong. Therefore, no one has an excuse to live his or her life in sin! This conclusion is important for Paul because it means that everyone stands in need of salvation. No one is exempt from this need.

16 I am not ashamed of the Gospel. It is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: for Jew first, and then Greek. 17 For in it is revealed the righteousness of God from faith to faith; as it is written,“The one who is righteous by faith will live.” 18 The wrath of God is indeed being revealed from heaven against every impiety and wickedness of those who suppress the truth by their wickedness. 19 For what can be known about God is evident to them, because God made it evident to them. 20 Ever since the creation of the world, his invisible attributes of eternal power and divinity have been able to be understood and perceived in what he has made. As a result, they have no excuse; 21 for although they knew God they did not accord him glory as God or give him thanks. Instead, they became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless minds were darkened. 22 While claiming to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for the likeness of an image of mortal man or of birds or of four-legged animals or of snakes. 24 Therefore, God handed them over to impurity through the lusts of their hearts for the mutual degradation of their bodies. 25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie and revered and worshipped the creature rather than the creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

P S A L M

Psalm 19:2-3, 4-5

R: The heavens proclaim the glory of God.

1 [2] The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament proclaims his handiwork. 2 [3] Day pours out the word to day, and night to night imparts knowledge. (R) 3 [4] Not a word nor a discourse whose voice is not heard; 4 [5] through all the earth their voice resounds, and to the ends of the world, their message. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 11:37-41

Jesus must have been pretty close to becoming completely fed up with the Pharisees. They were always nitpicking about things that ultimately were not all that important. They were always focusing on the external rather than the internal response to God. They were consumed by what they could do and not what God wanted to do with their lives. Is the same true for you and me? I hope not, as if it is then we have a long way to go in our faith walk with Jesus!

37 After he had spoken, a Pharisee invited him to dine at his home. He entered and reclined at table to eat. 38 The Pharisee was amazed to see that he did not observe the prescribed washing before the meal. 39 The Lord said to him, “Oh you Pharisees! Although you cleanse the outside of the cup and the dish, inside you are filled with plunder and evil. 40 You fools! Did not the maker of the outside also make the inside? 41 But as to what is within, give alms, and behold, everything will be clean for you.”

my reflections

think: No one has an excuse to live his or her life in sin!

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Matthew 13-14

17 October
Wednesday TODAY'S READINGS:

HOW ARE YOU?

Woe to you…! – Luke 11:42

I recently had another one of those pleasant phone conversations with my five-year-old grandson Dylan. The moment I heard his voice on the phone, I immediately asked him about his mom who was on vacation in Holland.

And he goes, “Lola, you ask me first, ‘How are you?’”

I laughed heartily because the last time we were together, I asked Dylan, “How are you?”

And he answered the usual, “I’m fine, thank you.”

I then taught him that saying “I’m fine” is now archaic. Nowadays, people know you’re a cool guy when your response is, “I’m good!”

And so we practiced the greeting several times—I, asking him “How are you?” and he would answer, “I’m good!” He loved the exercise so much, we kept repeating it the whole day.

Today’s readings remind us about practicing what we preach. Next time I see my grandson, I will teach him how we, renewed Christians, answer the question “How are you?” We say, “I’m victorious!” because through His sacrifice on the cross, Jesus Christ has won for us victory over sin.

I pray that my grandson will see that I am indeed victorious and that he will be, too, as he grows up. Cynthia S.

REFLECTION:

How are you?

Lord, help me to walk my talk that I may truly be Your victorious child.

------------------

GOD IS THE JUST JUDGE

God is the Author of our lives, whether we like it or not! At the end of our lives we will come before God and His Christ, the Judge of the living and the dead. We will give to God an account of our lives. There will be no escape, there will be no place to run and hide. Yet we are not to be ashamed because God is on our side and not against us. Jesus stands alongside as the just judge.

One of the weaknesses we find within us is that of judgment. Some find it more of a struggle than others; it is a weakness that is born out of criticism, low self esteem, and a desire to be in control. So many times we turn to God for the judgment we can pass on to others. It is trust that there is a need for right judgment. A discerning spirit to know right from wrong, good from evil. The gift of right judgment is a gift given us by the Spirit at Confirmation. Yet judgment is a right that belongs to God who alone is Judge. The things that we pass judgment on others will be the very things by which God will pass judgment us. Have you ever noticed that the very things you pass judgment on others are the very things you yourself struggle with? It can be a valuable exercise in self awareness when you reflect at the judgment being made on the person. Reflect upon yourself as Jesus says, to pull out the plank in your own eyes before taking the splinter out your brother’s eyes. As Paul says in today’s first reading, “For by the standard by which you judge another you condemn yourself, since you, the judge, do the very same things.

God is patient and He waits for us to return to Him. It is the kindness of God that leads us to repentance. We come to a deeper realization that we are all sinners and have fallen short of the glory of God; so who are we to judge? God will repay us according to our works. Let us remove the

stubbornness of our own hearts and persevere in good works. Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: Where have I passed judgment on another person? Seek to be reconciled with the Lord Jesus Christ for judgment passed onto a member of the family, a friend or some other acquaintance.

Lord, I ask You to forgive me for the times I have passed judgment on another. Remove the stubbornness and impertinence that can lie hidden in my heart. Help me to forgive and love as You have forgiven and loved me. Amen.

St. Victor, bishop, pray for us.

--------------

1st READING

Romans 2:1-11

Paul spends the best part of three chapters outlining humanity’s need for salvation. He wants to make it absolutely clear to all that this is a fundamental truth that we have to accept. Perhaps this was an important point to establish when writing to the Romans as Rome was the center of the known universe and a very proud, perhaps arrogant place. After all, they were in control of most of the known world at the time.

1 You, are without excuse, every one of you who passes judgment. For by the standard by which you judge another you condemn yourself, since you, the judge, do the very same things. 2 We know that the judgment of God on those who do such things is true. 3 Do you suppose, then, you who judge those who engage in such things and yet do them yourself, that you will escape the judgment of God? 4 Or do you hold his priceless kindness, forbearance, and patience in low esteem, unaware that the kindness of God would lead you to repentance? 5 By your stubbornness and impenitent heart, you are storing up wrath for yourself for the day of wrath and revelation of the just judgment of God, 6 who will repay everyone according to his works: 7 eternal life to those who seek glory, honor, and immortality through perseverance in good works, 8 but wrath and fury to those who selfishly disobey the truth and obey wickedness. 9 Yes, affliction and distress will come upon every human being who does evil, Jew first and then Greek. 10 But there will be glory, honor, and peace for everyone who does good, Jew first and then Greek. 11 There is no partiality with God.

P S A L M

Psalm 62:2-3, 6-7, 9

R: Lord, you give back to everyone according to his works.

1 [2] Only in God is my soul at rest; from him comes my salvation. 2 [3] He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be disturbed at all. (R) 5 [6] Only in God be at rest, my soul, for from him comes my hope. 6 [7] He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be disturbed. (R) 8 [9] Trust in him at all times, O my people! Pour out your hearts before him; God is our refuge! (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 11:42-46

Jesus is not going to allow anyone to get away from facing the hypocrisy in their lives. The lawyers seemingly would have done better to keep quiet. However, I suppose it is better to be challenged to repent and change one’s way than to remain caught up in a life of sin! It is clear that Jesus does not condemn the person, only the sin. He always gives someone an opportunity to repent. If we refuse to repent we will be condemned on Judgment Day, not by God but by our action of refusing to repent!

42 “Woe to you Pharisees! You pay tithes of mint and of rue and of every garden herb, but you pay no attention to judgment and to love for God. These you should have done, without overlooking the others. 43 Woe to you Pharisees! You love the seat of honor in synagogues and greetings in marketplaces. 44 Woe to you! You are like unseen graves over which people unknowingly walk.” 45 Then one of the scholars of the law said to him in reply, “Teacher, by saying this you are insulting us too.” 46 And he said, “Woe also to you scholars of the law! You impose on people burdens hard to carry, but you yourselves do not lift one finger to touch them.”

my reflections

think: If we refuse to repent we will be condemned on Judgment Day, not by God but by our action of refusing to repent!

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Matthew 15-17

Love Needs Expression
READ: Matthew 22:34-40

You shall love your neighbor as yourself. —Leviticus 19:18

Somehow the command to love doesn't get through to us. We may confess that we lack a strong faith, but seldom do we admit that we are deficient in love. Perhaps we feel we're as loving as the next person, and maybe a little bit more.

After all, we're sensitive to the hurts of other people. Our hearts go out to battered wives and abused children when we read about them in the newspaper. We shift uneasily in front of our TVs when we see little children sobbing with hunger or sitting in silent despair beyond crying.

But deep inside we know that genuine caring reaches beyond feelings to action. Caring, like steam or electricity, isn't worth much unless something happens as a result of it. Love without deeds is useless, just as talent not demonstrated in creative ways is wasted. Both must be expressed or they are no better than a myth.

Because we can't do everything, we often don't do anything. If you want to be a loving person, don't start by taking on the needs of the whole world. Start with caring about one person and build from there.

You can't do everything, but you can do something. What you can do, you should do. Today, determine that in the power and grace of God you will do it. — Haddon W. Robinson

Let us be Christ's true disciples,
Looking to another's need,
Making stony pathways smoother
By a gentle word or deed. -Thorson

In a world that couldn't care less, we are to be people who couldn't care more.

Reflection - October 17

Imperfect Leaders
READ: 2 Corinthians 3:1-5

Our sufficiency is from God. --2 Corinthians 3:5

God's ways are not our ways. We tend to equate leadership with lordship; He equates leadership with servanthood. We want strength so we can help God with His work; He makes us weak so He can demonstrate His power. We advertise our credentials so others can be more sure of us; He lets us fail so they can see that apart from God we're not much at all.

We are inclined to focus on personalities, to be impressed by the intellect, education, and strength of a leader's will. Followers begin to believe that a particular leader can do no wrong. Such adulation, however, is nothing more than humanism—making a human being the measure of all things. What's worse, it's idolatry—centering our devotion on someone other than God.

So God lets leaders fall off their pedestal. Failure, indecision, and underachievement bring them to a humbling realization of their own inadequacy—and can cause followers to lose their illusions and overdependence on those leaders. This is a good reminder that all of us—leaders and followers alike—walk through life on "feet of clay." Ultimately, the only good thing about any one of us is the goodness of God. That's why we need to recognize that "our sufficiency is from God" (2 Corinthians 3:5). — David H. Roper

If you rely upon God's strength
And live a life that's true,
Then what you do in Jesus' name
Will be His work through you. —D. De Haan

Only as we see our weakness can we draw upon God's strength.

18 October
Thursday
Feast of St. Luke, Evangelist

JUST AS HE SAYS

But the Lord stood by me... – 2 Timothy 4:17

“I am afraid,” the little one cries out. The mother gently holds her hand and walks her to the dentist’s chair.

“There is no more hope, I just lost my job and no one believes in me,” the 21-year-old guy sobs. His best friend nudges him and reminds him, “Aren’t we going to my father’s office tomorrow? He knows how good you are in designing houses. He wants you to help him with a new project.”

“I have no money to buy milk for my daughter, and my husband has left me,” cries a young wife. Her neighbor presses a P500 bill into her hand, and tells her, “Stock up on milk for your kid, and tomorrow, come with me to this store. I told the manager that I have the right person for his front desk. He needs someone who can speak Mandarin to cater to his Chinese clients.”

“My daughter needs a colonoscopy, and it costs P17,000. Where will I get the money?”

The next day, this mother falls in line at 5:00 in the morning at a government hospital, gets an appointment for a free colonoscopy for her daughter, and the results show that there is nothing wrong.

It is just as Paul said, “But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength.” Chelle C.

REFLECTION:

When all hope is gone and you are alone, do you believe that Someone cares?

Teach me to trust forever in Your Love.

------------------------------

LET ME BE YOUR INSTRUMENT

Today we celebrate the life of St Luke the evangelist who has left a wonderful account on the story of Jesus in the Gospel and in the Acts of the Apostles. Luke tells his readers that he too has carefully investigated from the beginning an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us. Luke is a physician by profession and proved to be a faithful companion of Paul.

Today’s gospel is Luke’s account of the 72 disciples, sent out by Jesus before He Himself was to visit the towns and villages. It is an appropriate gospel as we celebrate and remember a man who gave his life also to the cause of spreading the good news and promoting the Kingdom of God. We can well imagine that what we hear in the gospel would have been similar to the experiences that Luke and Paul discovered on their missionary travels. As Luke traveled with Paul they too were to travel light as we hear in the Gospel, “carrying no purse, bag or sandals.” Luke with Paul also may have experienced the welcoming hospitality that Luke writes about in the Gospel as they moved from town to town. I would imagine that his being a doctor would come in very handy also in his missionary travels.

The life of Luke is an example for us always. We all have different gifts and talents, skills and professions which have been given to us by God. In every circumstance we too can use our skills and expertise in building the Kingdom of God. As our late Holy Father, John Paul II stated in his encyclical, “At the beginning of a new Millennium”, the spreading of the good news is not only a task for the professionals, meaning those missionaries who have dedicated their life to such a cause. We are called to be missionaries in whatever state we are in. In fact it is part of our baptismal calling and duty to be announcers of the Kingdom in words and deeds.

It’s a great witness to Christianity when I hear of efforts being carried out that promote the dignity of the human person. We all hear stories of medical doctors, teachers, and the experts who can carry out their functions in places where there are those less fortunate. We all have a part to play in the plan of God. Luke gives us this fine example. Let us take up the example of Luke in our days and use the gifts and skills God has given to promote His glory. Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: What are the talents and natural skills I have? Where can I use them in my daily life? How can I best promote the Kingdom of God in society using these gifts, talents, skills and expertise given me?

Lord use me as You will. I offer You my skills, talents and expertise. May You be glorified in all that I do and say, for the well being of the dignity of human life .Give me opportunities where I can best use what You have given me. Amen.

St. Gwen, widow and martyr, pray for us.
----------------------

1st READING

2 Timothy 4:10-17

Luke accompanied Paul on some of his missionary journeys. In fact, if you read the Acts of the Apostles carefully, you can discover this firsthand where the narrative moves from third to first person indicating that the author, Luke, is now with Paul. I will leave it up to you to find the verse where that happens. It is important for us to remember that we are not standing alone in the service of God. We serve as a part of the Body of Christ, with others, seeking to achieve the same end of proclaiming the Good News of salvation to the ends of the world.

10 For Demas, enamored of the present world, deserted me and went to Thessalonica, Crescens to Galatia, and Titus to Dalmatia. 11 Luke is the only one with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, for he is helpful to me in the ministry. 12 I have sent Tychicus to Ephesus. 13 When you come, bring the cloak I left with Carpus in Troas, the papyrus rolls, and especially the parchments. 14 Alexander the coppersmith did me a great deal of harm; the Lord will repay him according to his deeds. 15 You too be on guard against him, for he has strongly resisted our preaching. 16 At my first defense no one appeared on my behalf, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them! 17 But the Lord stood by me and gave me strength, so that through me the proclamation might be completed and all the Gentiles might hear it.

P S A L M

Psalm 145:10-11, 12-13, 17-18

R: Your friends make known, O Lord, the glorious splendor of your Kingdom.

10 Let all your works give you thanks, O LORD, and let your faithful ones bless you. 11 Let them discourse of the glory of your kingdom and speak of your might. (R) 12 Making known to men your might and the glorious splendor of your kingdom. 13 Your kingdom is a kingdom for all ages, and your dominion endures through all generations. (R) 17 The LORD is just in all his ways and holy in all his works. 18 The LORD is near to all who call upon him, to all who call upon him in truth. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 10:1-9

The harvest gets richer and richer all the time as more and more people are born and less and less people seem to take their Christian faith seriously enough to stand up for the moral principles of the Gospel. Too often we hear people proclaiming that they are Christians, yet at the same time, their actions give evidence to a totally different set of truths. It is time for Christians to take a stand on the pressing moral issues of our time — marriage, sexuality, abortion, the family, corruption, social justice and so on. Let us look for ways in which we can heighten others’ awareness of these issues through the witness of our lives.

1 The Lord appointed seventy-two others whom he sent ahead of him in pairs to every town and place he intended to visit. 2 He said to them, “The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few; so ask the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his harvest. 3 Go on your way; behold, I am sending you like lambs among wolves. 4 Carry no money bag, no sack, no sandals; and greet no one along the way. 5 Into whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this household.’ 6 If a peaceful person lives there, your peace will rest on him; but if not, it will return to you. 7 Stay in the same house and eat and drink what is offered to you, for the laborer deserves his payment. Do not move about from one house to another. 8 Whatever town you enter and they welcome you, eat what is set before you, 9 cure the sick in it and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God is at hand for you.’”

my reflections

think: We serve as a part of the Body of Christ, with others, seeking to achieve the same end of proclaiming the Good News of salvation to the ends of the world.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Matthew 18-20

19 October
Friday

UNCONSCIOUS BETRAYAL

“Be on guard against… hypocrisy.” – Luke 12:1b

In one small group sharing session I attended, the topic zeroed in on was “betrayal.” Everyone had an experience to share. If we had had more time, some would even have shared two or more experiences of betrayal. Truly, with so many Judases in the world, one would be lucky to survive life without a taste of betrayal.

Reflecting on their sharing, I feel there are two kinds of betrayal. One is when someone was really a traitor to you – like your husband having an affair with another woman. Another is when you choose to brand someone a traitor out of anger and condemnation.

By the latter I mean, the hurt person is guilty of not clarifying with the person involved what really happened. He was so angry that the events turned out the way they did, he interpreted and sided with the version of another. The “supposed traitor” never gets a chance to defend himself – and does not know why so much wrath is experienced from a “former” friend.

That’s how cunning hypocrisy is.

Sometimes we feel we’ve been so betrayed when in fact we were really the one guilty of betraying – by our rash judgement! Cristy G.

REFLECTION:

Have you been a betrayer yourself?

When I feel like I have been betrayed, give me the grace to first validate instead of accusing right away.

--------

GOD IS OUR HOPE AND REFUGE

In the first reading Paul cuts right to the point of his letters to the Romans and in fact his whole ministry. He writes; “Abraham believed God and this credited him as righteousness”. It was because of his faith in the promise of God that Abram was the most blessed and becomes the greatest example to the Jewish people of faith in God. Abraham was a wanderer, a sojourner. He kept no law, rendered no service, performed no ritual, yet because of his belief in God, was credited as righteous.

“Abraham believed God and it was credited to him as righteous”. This verse has its origin in Genesis (Gen.15.6), whereby Abram is visited by God in a vision. Abram is worried that the land promised him will be given to another because he has no heir to inherit the land. God promises him a son, the fruit of his own body. God reminds Abram that God alone is his shield and reward. God looks kindly on Abram. Abram is to look at the stars in the sky and the promise is given him. “See the heavens and count the number of its stars.” It is a fact that in the Near Eastern sky more than 8000 stars are visibly clear – God promises so shall be the offspring of Abram.

Thus Abram is to be the father of many nations, the father of all who believe. God rewards the just man who believes in Him. Elsewhere in the letter to the Romans Paul writes, “if you confess with your lips, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved”. Our faith in God seems so simple. All we need to do is accept that Jesus is Lord to the glory of God the Father. We need only repent of our wrong doing and return to the Lord who will gladly accept us, for He sees and loves in us what He sees and loves in Jesus. When the Father looks upon us he sees Jesus. He has loved us and records our sin no more. Jesus has saved us from the penalty of sin, it has been cancelled and we are credited as righteousness in the sight of God. This is due to the faith of the Son of God who has loved us and given His life for us. Our life is a life in the faith of the Son of God. Fr. Brian Steele

REFLECTION QUESTION: God rewards the just person who believes and has faith in him. Often our faith can be tested; we become confused and lose faith. Do I trust and have faith in God as Abraham did? Ask the Lord for the gift of faith.

Lord increase my faith. Lord, often I have the tendency to fail in my belief that You are truly with me. I ask You to bless me with the gift of faith that I might truly believe in you. Amen.

St. John de Brebeuf, missionary and martyr, pray for us.

------------
1st READING

Romans 4:1-8

Abraham is presented to us as a man of faith. This is undoubtedly true as there is little else that could have led him to forsake the comfortable life he had established in Ur and travel to the unknown land of the Jordan River and ultimately Haran. His story is quite simply extraordinary. The only way to make sense of it is if he is a man of faith. Likewise, Paul wants us to model our lives of faith on Abraham’s example.

1 What then can we say that Abraham found, our ancestor according to the flesh? 2 Indeed, if Abraham was justified on the basis of his works, he has reason to boast; but this was not so in the sight of God. 3 For what does the scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” 4 A worker’s wage is credited not as a gift, but as something due. 5 But when one does not work, yet believes in the one who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness. 6 So also David declares the blessedness of the person to whom God credits righteousness apart from works: 7 “Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven and whose sins are covered. 8 Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord does not record.”

P S A L M

Psalm 32:1-2, 5, 11

R: I turn to you, Lord, in time of trouble, and you fill me with the joy of salvation.

1 Blessed is he whose fault is taken away, whose sin is covered. 2 Blessed the man to whom the LORD imputes not guilt, in whose spirit there is no guile. (R) 5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you, my guilt I covered not. I said, “I confess my faults to the LORD,” and you took away the guilt of my sin. (R) 11 Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, you just; exult, all you upright of heart. (R)

G O S P E L

Luke 12:1-7

Sometimes I think that we believe that the worst anyone on earth can do to us is take away our earthly life. This is not the case! The worst they can do is lead us into sin that can deprive us of our heavenly reward. The latter is far worse than the former! We need to be on guard against the lies of the devil that seek to deprive us of the gift of salvation. We know that God is on our side and that He will do all He can to help us. However, the final choice is ours! How will we choose to live our lives?

1 Meanwhile, so many people were crowding together that they were trampling one another underfoot. He began to speak, first to his disciples, “Beware of the leaven“— that is, the hypocrisy — of the Pharisees. — 2 “There is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, nor secret that will not be known. 3 Therefore whatever you have said in the darkness will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered behind closed doors will be proclaimed on the housetops. 4 I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body but after that can do no more. 5 I shall show you whom to fear. Be afraid of the one who after killing has the power to cast into Gehenna; yes, I tell you, be afraid of that one. 6 Are not five sparrows sold for two small coins? Yet not one of them has escaped the notice of God. 7 Even the hairs of your head have all been counted. Do not be afraid. You are worth more than many sparrows.”

my reflections

think: Paul wants us to model our lives of faith on Abraham’s example.

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Matthew 21-22

Reflection - Oct 19

Overcoming Envy
READ: 1 Peter 3:8-12

Be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers. —1 Peter 3:8

With tongue in cheek, someone has defined happiness as "an agreeable sensation arising from contemplating the misery of another."

Few of us would agree with this definition, but I'm afraid all of us can see enough truth in it to make us flinch. It's understandable to want to be a success like a neighbor. But it is wrong to have an attitude that says, "If I can't have it, I don't want anyone else to have it either."

I was about 13 when I began to realize that my 10-year-old brother Len's athletic skills were greater than mine. At first a tinge of resentment rose up within me, but it didn't have a chance to develop into a strong feeling of envy. Why? Because I loved Len. I soon began to take pride in his athletic achievements and felt with him the joy of victory and the agony of defeat.

That experience taught me that love and envy cannot coexist in the human heart. Now, whenever envy rears its ugly head, I recall how my love for Len drove it out of me. I also remember the admonition of 1 Peter 3:8, "Love as brothers." It enables me to "rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep" (Romans 12:15).

Being committed to loving others is the secret to overcoming envy. — Herbert Vander Lugt

From seeds of envy in the heart
Spring up the noxious weeds of hate;
So help me, Lord, to love the one
Whom I find hard to tolerate. —D. De Haan

A daily dose of Christlike love will heal the heart disease of envy

Reflection - Oct 20

Consider The Poor
READ: Psalm 41:1-3

Blessed is he who considers the poor; the Lord will deliver him in time of trouble. —Psalm 41:1

You may have heard of the blessings Jesus spoke of in His Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:1-10). Here's a "blessing" from the Old Testament that is less well-known: "Blessed is he who considers the poor" (Psalm 41:1).

The Hebrew word translated "considers" means "to take thought for others." The word translated "poor" means "those in need."

There are many people around us who are poor—in love, in hope, and in the knowledge of God. Even though we cannot solve all their problems, we can show them that we care.

We may not have lots of money, but we can give of ourselves. We can let needy people know that we're thinking of them. We can listen as they tell their stories. We can treat them with courtesy and respect. We can pray for them. We can write letters of encouragement. We can tell them about Jesus. If we can do nothing else, we can love them.

Think about those who live only for themselves, always trying to get ahead, looking for the next thing to make them happy. Compare them with people who give themselves to others. Which ones possess inner calm, strength, and joy?

The place of God's blessing is easily entered: Consider the poor. — David H. Roper

Not in having or receiving,
But in giving, there is bliss;
He who has no other pleasure
Ever may rejoice in this. —Anon.

Giving is the true measure of love.

Reflection - Oct 21

Killing Time
READ: Ephesians 5:1-17

Walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time. --Ephesians 5:15-16

A friend of mine was sitting on a park bench with his hands folded, staring into the distance. When I asked what he was doing, he replied, "Oh, just killing time."

What a cruel thing to do to something as valuable as time! Why kill it? Time is given to us to be cultivated, not murdered. Time should never be wasted but used to the best advantage.

Of course, there are times when we must relax and rest. Even Jesus said to His disciples, "Come aside . . . and rest a while" (Mk. 6:31). But that was not "killing time," it was using time for restoration. After they had rested, they would be able to use their time more fruitfully and profitably.

If a fraction of the time we waste could be used to pray, read the Bible, witness to others, visit a friend in distress, or comfort someone who is grieving, what a difference it would make! Today, when you have leisure time, ask yourself how you can best improve those extra moments. You may think I am being narrowminded, but the Bible is clear—we are to be "wise, redeeming the time" (Eph. 5:16).

Today, see how much good you can do for God and others—not how little you can get by with. It is not true that we can "make up lost time." It is gone forever! — M. R. De Haan

God's people have so much to do
In serving Christ today
That they should use their precious time
To share, to love, to pray. —JDB

Time—use it or lose it!

Reflection - Oct 22

Simply Content
READ: 1 Timothy 6:3-16

Having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. --1 Timothy 6:8

A few years ago, an automaker used the tune of the old Shaker song "Simple Gifts" to promote a luxury car. To those who knew the lyrics, it seemed contradictory to use a song about finding contentment in a simple way of life to sell an expensive car. It says, "'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free, 'tis the gift to come down where we ought to be."

We often struggle to accept the Bible's teaching that contentment has nothing to do with our wardrobe, our bank account, or whether we have steak or fish sticks for supper. It is not material prosperity but "godliness with contentment" that the apostle Paul called "great gain" (1 Timothy 6:6). Timothy may have been as stunned as we are to read the words, "having food and clothing, with these we shall be content" (v.8).

How many of us will pause today to thank the Lord because we have something to wear and something to eat? But how might our lives be revolutionized if we did?

That old Shaker song also reminds us that contentment is a gift that is to be enjoyed. It says, "And when we find ourselves in the place just right, 'twill be in the valley of love and delight." In the abundance of God's simple gifts, we can be content. — David C. McCasland

As we keep on collecting more and more stuff,
We sometimes complain that we don't have enough;
But let us be thankful for what God has sent—
With food and with clothing may we be content. —Fitzhugh

Contentment comes not from great wealth but from few wants.

Reflection - Oct 23

The Trouble With Me
READ: Jonah 4:1-10

Let no one seek his own, but each one the other's well-being. --1 Corinthians 10:24

Selfishness comes in many forms, and we are all prone to it. I was reminded of this while driving on a toll road. My wife Ginny and I were hoping to get home early that evening, but a traffic jam held us up for almost 2 hours.

Although Ginny mentioned that there may have been a serious accident up ahead, I gave this little thought and kept grumbling about the delay. But when the traffic began to flow again, we saw six mangled cars next to the highway. A wave of conviction swept over me. "Forgive me, Lord," I prayed, "and please help the victims and their families."

The Bible gives many examples of selfish attitudes. Jonah was upset because a worm had destroyed a vine that shaded him from the scorching sun (Jonah 4:9). Yet he didn't care that many men, women, and children in Nineveh might be destroyed.

In Mark 10:37, we read that two disciples selfishly asked for positions of power in Christ's coming kingdom. And in Paul's first letter to the Corinthian church, we see many examples of selfish behavior (1:10; 3:3; 5:1; 6:6-8; 11:21).

God calls us to put the good of others ahead of our selfish desires (1 Corinthians 10:24). Forgive us, Lord, and help us to do just that! — Herbert Vander Lugt

O Lord, how often selfishness
Will raise its ugly head,
So help us, Lord, to conquer it
And show Your love instead. —D. De Haan

The heart of our problem is selfishness in our heart.

Back
Top Bottom