Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

[TUTORIAL] Dual Boot Distro with Windows 7/8-ish (Syslinux)

Hackathon

Amateur
Advanced Member
Reaction score
So, why Syslinux?
Syslinux eliminates the fragments or entries produced by GRUB2 + os-prober (autoscan), that's all what it does, :lol: I just want my entries to be neat and tidy really.. :thumbsup:

Requirements:
1. EasyBCD (Download) (Download From Attachment)
2. Hiren's Boot CD [Link] and burn it into a disk, bootable USB will also work
3. A Linux Distro of your choice (If you already have one installed, that's fine) - This is just a back up repair disk in case you break both loaders at the same time which is very unlikely to happen.
4. Gparted - Allows us to change/assign bootflags on different boot partitions. | Download or go to
Code:
http://gparted.org/download.php
and download the latest stable release.
5. Time
6. Computer
7. Patience
8. Common Sense
9. A bit of Researching and Reading

WARNING: This tutorial may require you to reboot your PC multiple times.

Before we start, install EasyBCD, we will use this later on to fix the MBR, (Yes we're going to break the mbr for a short period of time :p)

without further do let's start..

Step 1: Install Linux Distro (You can skip this if you've already installed your Linux box)
Install Linux distro of your choice, it can be anything Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch, Debian, Slackware etc. It's all up to you. (Take note of your partitioning order, this is very important)

i.e.

/dev/sda1/boot
/dev/sda2/ (blank being the root)
/dev/sda3/home

Sufix numbers (sda1, sda2, sda3) can vary depending on how many operating system currently installed on your computer.

You probably have or prefer different partitioning scheme, but this is the standard and the way you should lay out your partitions. I recommend doing it this way for neatness as well as consistency purposes and so that both root and home partitions can share spaces if ever you run out of space on either one and want to grab some from root or the other - expandable. - Advanced stuff and not necessary, but if you got my point that's great! If not, don't worry as long as you followed what I have said.

Useful Tip: Always place boot partitions on top of the other partitions you have for that specific distro as possible.

Avoid:
/dev/sda1/ (root)
/dev/sda2/boot
/dev/sda3/root

I will not get into this thoroughly, this will be on a separate tutorial. :sorry: When you get into the stage where the installer asks as to where you want to install Grub2 loader, just select the very first 100mb partiton (/dev/sda) (Usually the default selected), then restart your computer after installation. You'll notice that Windows MBR has been replaced by GRUB2 loader, if that's the case then don't worry, we will fix this later on. ;) You can still boot Windows from Grub2 anyways.

Step 2:
Boot into your Windows OS then open EasyBCD, we're now going to fix the MBR.

If you by any chance were not able to boot Windows, this is where Hiren's Boot CD comes to the rescue.
1.Boot Hiren
2.Select "Smart Boot Manager"
3.Select your windows partition (The C:\ drive)
4.Press Tab - A menu will pop-up then select "boot it"
If it asks you if you want to save it, just say no.
You should be up and running again.

Just click Write MBR and that will hopefully :rofl: restore your MBR loader.
264hlax.jpg

That will restore back MBR like a brand spanking new as if we didn't do anything with it at all, I can guarantee you that next time you reboot you'll be back to the old black screen MBR, but don't close it yet, we still need add a new temporary GRUB2 entry, you can name it whatever you want (Autodetect will be fine),.

Then Click Add Entry. Double Check if the entry has been added > View Entries, then Reboot.

You may have to do that twice.. I don't really know why that happens (Probably a bug from EasyBCD).

Step 3:
Boot into your Linux distro at this time, now there are tons articles that covers Uninstalling and Replacing Grub2 with Syslinux and it varies from what distro you're using:

For Ubuntu and other debian based distro [Click Here, and Here], or Here

For Arch based distro: [Click Here]

You can apply these methods on to other distros as well, as long as you know the commands for installing, purging (that's the only difference I guess...) specifically for that distro you want to customize, or better ask Google :thumbsup: I'm sure there will always be something in there you could take. This is lengthy topic so I will not go step by step, but hopefully you've already got the idea.

Step 4:
Reboot, then boot back to Windows

Open EasyBCD, Remove the Grub Entry

then Add another Entry, Choose Syslinux this time and select your /boot partition, (This is why you need to know your partitioning order) the partition you select must contain the syslinux that we've installed previously, if you don't have /boot partition or chose not to have one, you can just select the root partition, I know that this is my /boot partition because I know that I've allocated 600MB for it.
2yvwg7q.jpg

Check if the entry is added
szvmh3.jpg

Double check if it really exist :lol:
2rwu5br.jpg

Windows MBR:
14bt0k6.jpg

fntu7s.jpg

Ubuntu:
28r1wtw.jpg

apk553.jpg

And that's it!! :happy: Happy Holidays!

Of course you can theme this or customize the splash/background, font, font size etc... which I did not do.

Attachments

• EasyBCD 2.2.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 725
  • EasyBCD 2.2.rar
    1.5 MB · Views: 422
Last edited:
Re: [TUTORIAL] Dual Boot Distro with Windows 7/8-ish (Syslin

TS saan naman natin gagamitin yung Hiren Boot? Nakalagay kasi iyan sa "Requirements" mo.
Thanks TS, more power and more 'sharing'.!!!

Yung Hiren's boot CD po is gamit lang para mag boot sa windows (marami ding utilities na pwedeng gamitin dito pero ito plang ang nasubukan ko at pinaka simple sa tingin ko) just in case na hindi gumana grub, pero pag pwede naman mag boot windows from grub2 then ok. :thumbsup:

nako pa try ako ts thanks poh

Anong distro po gamit nyo?

Mukang okay to for triple boot.. Balak ko kasi mag Windows 7, Linux Mint, Hackintosh. :D

Wala po ata yung EasyBCD na nakaattach? :cry:

Last edited:

Mukang okay to for triple boot.. Balak ko kasi mag Windows 7, Linux Mint, Hackintosh. :D

Wala po ata yung EasyBCD na nakaattach? :cry:

Pwedeng pwede yan.. :D

Ooopss... Sorry hindi ko napansin, ayun naka attach na. :) ty

ok to, BM muna

may nakapag try na po ba ng win7 at win 8 ang dual boot?

pa marka po TS gs2 kong mapag aralan din to. maraming salamat

pa marka muna brad thanks and more power

papano po sir kung wala akong /boot partition, ang nagyare kase nung ininstall ko yung linux ay hindi ako gumawa ng /boot partition, root lang ginawa ko at swap.

patry din ako TS .. try ko mag 4 boot (Win7,Win8,Kali, Hackintosh) hackintosh nlang ang kulang :D :thumbsup:

papano po sir kung wala akong /boot partition, ang nagyare kase nung ininstall ko yung linux ay hindi ako gumawa ng /boot partition, root lang ginawa ko at swap.

Pwede rin yan, basta tama yung naka point (kung baga naka chainload) na OS from Windows MBR i.e. Ubuntu is pointed sa ubuntu boot loader - usually is nasa loob ng root partition kung hindi separated ang /boot partiton.

Last edited:

:thanks: ts bm muna

Boss ask ko lang babagay po ba ito para sa Acer E3-111-C5JR ko 2gb ram? Maraming salamat po dto my pagaaralan akong mgnda (:

Back
Top Bottom